Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-44 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 44 Friday, 14 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Survey TMBG: Re: tmbg cartoon Re: TMBG: survey (none) NON-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-43 TMBG: Guess I'm just a follower... TMBG: Seattle show info Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell sped up TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: In defense of Flans TMBG: RE: seattle show TMBG: RE: TMBG: mostly non-TMBG [surveys] & mailings vs. webpage TMBG: TMBG Seattle Show Re: TMBG: survey RE: TMBG: Wooga! Re: TMBG: Guess I'm just a follower... Re: TMBG: Mono Puff/Dream(TMBG related, I promise! Kinda Long, tho) TMBG: My Profile Re: TMBG: flanstastic!/kenyon/adventures in stereo/survey TMBG: Hello...hello? TMBG: Paramus, NJ in-store Re: TMBG: TMBG Seattle Show TMBG: Re: TMBG: Snoochie Boochies! TMBG: Re: Tryptophane TMBG: In-store appearance in Ann Arbor Re: TMBG: Paramus, NJ in-store FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: Irving Plaza tomorrow TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger TMBG: IRVING PLAZA post-show-tomorrow Re: TMBG: Snoochie Boochies! TMBG: This List TMBG: The They Might Be In Seattle show Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans TMBG: Survey TMBG: M Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) TMBG: broom/survey/sister puff/mouse's dream/dls/other survey Re: NON-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers Re: TMBG: broom/survey/sister puff/mouse's dream/dls/other survey Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans Re: TMBG: movies on Macs Re: TMBG: Survey Re: TMBG: movies on Macs TMBG: ok.....my stuff TMBG: A They baby Re: TMBG: In-store appearance in Ann Arbor Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) TMBG: sorry all Re: TMBG: Survey TMBG: some musical questions... Re: TMBG: Survey TMBG: smile, folks... TMBG: Survey (I have time to kill, what can I say), Flans Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:59:42 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: Survey My go. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name:Mark E-mail:iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk Gender:Male Age:22 City:Leeds State/Country:UK Occupation:Student Three Favorite Bands: 1.They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2.Stereolab 3.Dubstar Three Favorite Movies: Far too many to mention. Has anyone noticed how, although everyone here seems to like cool bands, they all pick really dumb American movies as their favourites? Is no one round here interested in non-mainstream films? Favorite Author:Philip K Dick. Maybe. Favorite TV Show:Doctor Who Favorite TMBG album:John Henry Favorite TMBG song (only 1):She's An Angel Favorite Comic Strip:Tintin * --------------------------------------------------------------------- __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg cartoon Message-ID: <19970213.081851.9870.4.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:19:13 EST On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:13:23 -0500 Kevin McGuire writes: >There was some pretty heavy Flans bashing a while back on here, and I >was pretty steamed. I think I would like Flans alot better as a >person >than Linnell if I knew them in person. Anyone out there agree with >me? >Think I have no clue? Just wonderin'...what makes you come to this conclusion? Actually, Linnell may not be as outgoing as Flans, but I've heard that Flans throws a lot of tantrums? Maybe, though, they are both really nice, friendly, great guys:-). Jen ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: survey Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:22:15 +0000 () > > Name:Christine Stanger > > E-mail:cmstan@essex.ac.uk > > Gender: A Girly > > Age:19 > > City:Colchester > > State/Country:UK > > Occupation:Student > > > > Three Favourite Bands: 1.Pink Floyd > > (only 3) 2.TMBG > > 3.Orbital > > (I feel I really must mention pulp, gong, half man half biscuit and adam and the ants and so many more as runner ups, even if I'm not really meant to! Sorry) > > Three Favourite Movies: 1.Labyrinth > > (only 3) 2.Leon > > 3.The Wall (pink floyd, not quite a movie but never mind) > > > > Favourite Author:Terry Pratchett > > Favourite TV Show: The Simpsons > > Favourite TMBG album:Apollo 18 > > Favourite TMBG song (only 1):She's an angel Favourite comic strip: Sandman by Neil Gaiman ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702131423.AA29489@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:10:10 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) >Prolly 2 years. You see, 'Then' is being postponed till at least March (if >we're lucky), so as not to take attention away from FS. I tell you I'd be >highly surprised if they had a new relase come summer. And especially being >on Elektra. I'd say January '98 at the very earliest . Actually, the reason for the latest delay was some legal problems concerning the use of 'getting sentimental over you' or something like that on one of the xtra tracks. Personally, I t hink it will be out in November or December. TmBg's best record since Apollo 18...Helios...yay! I would like to add my voice to the others that have mentioned that the surveys to the list is a waste of space. The reason it was started was to learn something in general about the listee population, and our pal Bill is going to compile the results on a web page for us all to see when its done, so if you are interested in what people like, wait for that! I want to go to Irving Plaza!!!!!!!! ArGH! My cd wallets contain: TmBg--Self-Titled, Lincoln, JH, FS, 'Hall of mayors', Back to Skull Pixies--Doolittle, Surfer Rosa, Come on Pilgrim, Bossanova Nirvana--In Utero, Garth Brooks--The HIts, Tim Mcgraw--not a moment too soon Ben Folds Five--Self Titled, Tori Amos--Boys for Pele, REM--Monster The Offspring--Ixnay on the Hombre, Smash, ignition Counting Crows--August & everything After, Recovering the Satellites Meat PUppets--Forbidden Places, too High to Die The MIghty Mighty Bosstones--Don't KNow HOw to Party now go talk amongst yourselfs! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33033302.68BA@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:28:02 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: NON-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers Hello, This is an open letter to people interested in Squirrel Nut Zippers. Many on the TMBG-list have expressed interest. I recorded last night's sold-out SNZ concert in Denver off the radio. It's about 75 minutes long and excellent quality. Contact me if you want to make a trade. My musical interests are attached, or visit my web page. Russ -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 6150 Lookout Rd. 1217 N Aspen Dr Boulder, CO 80301 Berthoud, CO Phone: (303) 516-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 581-1088 mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:34:05 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-43 Message-ID: > > Actually, what I heard about Flans and his falsetto is that they > > actually sped up his voice for, I want to say, She Was A Hotel... the new > > version. In reality, he can sing high, but not that high. > > On the album, they sped up Linnell's voice. Live, Flansburgh sings it > falsetto. Actually, no. I read in an interview that it was Flans sped up. \\\\ (' ') []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward [] "You're older than you've ever been, [] [] joshw@tmbg.org [] and now you're even older, and now [] [] http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw [] you're even older, and now you're [] [] UCS Help Center Consultant [] even older." -- TMBG [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\------------------------------------/[] There is no future, there is no past; thank God this moment's not our last. There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today. -- Jonathan Larson (1960-1996), "Rent" v ------------------------------ From: "Andrew J. Chapman" Organization: the Nastradamus Glee Club Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:34:08 -500 Subject: TMBG: Guess I'm just a follower... Message-ID: <19970213173340073.AAA347@dh-24.rn3.myna.com> Well, since most everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon... Name: Andrew Chapman... And yes, that really is Reverend in my .sig. E-Mail: AJChapman@myna.com Age: Just about 22 City: Mississauga (About 20 km west of Toronto) Province/Country: Ontario, Canada Occupation: Writer Wannabe, physical labourer, telemarketer, sometime television personality/crew/editor/all around cool guy and nightshift worker. Three Fav Bands: TMBG (only 3) Tragically hip Um... Bare Naked Ladies are pretty cool... Fav Musical Period: Baroque Three Fav Movies: Anything with StarWars in the title (only 3) BladeRunner Brazil (or anything else by Gilliam) Fav Author: Somewhere in between Douglas Adams, Terry Prachet and Robinson Davis Fav TV show: (TV, what's that?) Cartoons and SciFi. Babylon 5 is pretty cool... (Brisco County jr. Kill the guy who canceled this show...) Fav TMBG album: N/A (too hard to pick) Fav TMBG Song: Currently, Dead and Until My Head Falls Off Fav MonoPuff Song: Tryptophane. Fav Comic/Cartoon/Manga: Alita, the Maxx, the Tick and, of course, Eek the Cat. Far Side & Calvin and Hobbs are sorely missed, Mother Goose and Grimm, Sherman's Lagoon. I suppose I should've actually done what was implied and just put one of each choice, but I didn't. Deal with it. :) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder|Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who rob or plunder|Heckler Extrordinaire Underdog. Underdog!|AJChapman@myna.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:22:26 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Seattle show info Message-ID: In case y'all don't already know... TMBG with Chainsaw Kittens March 10, Showbox Theater $17 + whatever Tickets go on sale Saturday through ticketmaster 21 and over! Hope this helps someone. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:32:22 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell sped up Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Josh wrote: ** > On the album, they sped up Linnell's voice. Live, Flansburgh sings it ** > falsetto. ** ** Actually, no. I read in an interview that it was Flans sped up. No, that's totally incorrect. On the newsletter it says it's Linnell. We've done this whole thing before, let's not do it again. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:57:11 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-ID: > I would like to add my voice to the others that have mentioned that the > surveys to the list is a waste of space. The reason it was started was to > learn something in general about the listee population, and our pal Bill is > going to compile the results on a web page for us all to see when its done, > so if you are interested in what people like, wait for that! > Well, I feel so freakin' special. Nathan is my pal....wow. Anyway, we are now up to 85 surveys received. The speed at which I'm getting them is slowing down enough that I'll probably work on the results this weekend. Then again, as soon as someone gives me another survey, even if the page is up, I can always update. So get those surveys in, folks....your folk family is waiting for you! Oh, and I only need one survey from each person. Some incredibly bright people have sent me the same survey multiple times. Duh. Oh well...I'm outta here. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu In my 3-disc changer right now: Superchunk--Here's Where the Strings Come In Pavement--Brighten the Corners (came out Tuesday...all y'all go out and buy it right now!) Thinking Fellers Union Local 282--Strangers in the Universe ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970213191820.006bb144@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:18:20 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: In defense of Flans >> Yes, it is very unfortunate that many people attribute the > success of They to the premonition that Linnel is the brains > and that Flans goes along with everything that Linnel does. From everything that I've heard, this statement is almost entirely wrong. Flans has always been much more willing to be agressive on the band's behalf. He's the one who writes the setlists at shows, and he decides which order the songs go on the album. And let's not forget that he writes half the songs. I love Linnell as much as the next person, but I really hate Flans-bashing. >"Les guignols de l'info" !!! Whoa... never thought I'd find another Guignols fan in the States! As long as we're on kewl French comedy, I hereby state my fandom of Les Chevaliers du Fiel. >something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff >in > one package) would definitely appeal to them. Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely heard of? --nicole the wonder nerd who feels smugly superior because Skankin' Pickle is a local band for her, and she's seen them a few times. (A friend of mine tried to get them to play the Los Gatos High junior prom last year, but they backed out at the last minute. :< *** "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about the band's fans. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: RE: seattle show Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 13:38:00 P Message-Id: <33038DDB@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> there's a show in seattle?/ YES! ok. i want to go so bad! could someone please give me some details on this!!!!!!! brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: RE: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:34:45 -0800 > >From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu[SMTP:ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu] >Sent: Thursday, February 13, 1997 6:10 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > [snip!] > >now go talk amongst yourselfs! I can't! I'm so vehclempt! > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702132155.AA24552@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:42:00 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: mostly non-TMBG [surveys] & mailings vs. webpage >Oh yeah the surveys are a waste of space, but this list of what's in your >cd wallet is such a valuable resource to us all... > >whatever... the person who suggested cd wallet things suggested it with the very intelligent idea that it could be added on at the end of an already substantial message. That is why I added it to a message that was already tmbg-related. The surveys take a huge amount of space, esp. when people send nothing but the survey and everyone does it, that is nothing like using a few lines at the end of the message to list a few cds. whatever... It appears that the Johns have decided too put all their effort into tmbg.com instead of ever sending out mailings to the fan club, not that i'm complaining 'cause i have internet access, but those fans without it are really missing out... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Seattle Show Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:10:54 -0800 Okay folks! Here's the info! Ticketmaster JUST NOW put up the TMBG info, so they JUST went on sale!!! They are NOT on sale online yet, will probably be tomorrow when they are. The URL to go to is: http://events.ticketmaster.com/cgi/events/perfname.idc?searchname=THEY_M IGHT_BE_GIANTS&date=10-MAR-97&state=WA&venuenum=75 Brief summary: 21+ Only show (dunno why, probably the Showbox serves alcohol or something). It's put on by The End. Monday night, March 10th at 9 PM. Tickets are now available at ticketmaster outlets and over the phone. Tickets will be available online starting tomorrow, as per ticketmaster's online 1-day delay policy. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:20:00 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: survey Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, C M Stanger wrote: > > Favourite comic strip: Sandman by Neil Gaiman Does that count as a comic *strip*? I'll have to revise my survey answers if so... Yes, this *is* a vitally important message. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Wooga! Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:32:35 -0800 >---------- >From: Michelle[SMTP:mms@wolfenet.com] >Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 1997 7:47 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Cc: 'TMBG Mailing List' >Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! > >On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >> - Anyone going to the They Might Be Concert in the Seattle area 3/10/97 >> at The Showbox? >> >WHAT!?!?! Why wasn't I aware of this??? When do tickets go on sale, and >how much do they cost... I will make every effort to be there. I'm still >upset I had to miss them back in November, but it was either them or >Rollins, and Rollins won. > >Michelle > The time/date is taken directly from their web page tour stops list. The Showbox calendar line is, unfortunately, only for a couple weeks in advance. However, ticketmaster still doesn't have the tickets up yet on their page for the Showbox, so it looks like they're not on sale yet. I have no number for the Showbox administration, or I'd have called them. I'll keep you posted on what I find out though in my searches. Jesse ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:02:28 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213180226_1828447087@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Guess I'm just a follower... >Fav Mono PUff song: Ttryptophane Isn't Tryptophane (sp?) a Giants DAS song? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:05:35 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff/Dream(TMBG related, I promise! Kinda Long, tho) Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, The Mouse O'OKC wrote: *Stef puts on her Freudian Slip Dress* Terribly sorry, couldn't resist... > 1) Why do I dream I'm this blonde dreamchick? I like myself as I am. > 2) Why does linnell pop up in my dreams as the object of my desire? When I'm > awake I don't conciously feel this way. He was never my favorite. > yet i have all these romantic dreams about him. > 3) Why does Linnell know so much about me in my dreams? I mean, he knows > stuff my mom doesn't. Creepy. > 1) In a former life, you were Marilyn Monroe (also not a natural blonde) except less popular. Instead, you led a life of quiet desparation, having to fend off amorous fans who thought you were MM, you always saying, "No, my real name is Marilyn Monroe, and I look exactly like her, but I'm really not her." This desire to be blonde again manifests only in your dreams, especially after hearing that Elton John Song. 2) You may _think_ that you don't like Linnell in "that way," but soon you will see the way and join those of us who do. In all of Their cd's there is a "subliminal" message, that tells you to "Love Linnell, Love Linnell" and to "use" quoteation "marks" all of the "time," even when you may not "need" them. 3) Linnell is stalking you. Look out your window now and you will see him. He will yell at you, "You remind me of Marilyn Monroe," but you won't hear him because he is outside and you've already freaked out and closed the curtains on him. _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Oh, that's right, Vyvyan. If the mountain won't come to \\ Muhammed, smash the drawing room to pieces. That's very Buddhist, isn't it?" -Rik, "Nasty," _The Young Ones_ They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:24:25 EST Subject: TMBG: My Profile Message-ID: <499CC2B083B@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU> Well, I saw everyone putting up their profiles and I thought "Why the hell not?" So here is my profile. I hope some people have common intrests as me (yeah right. like no one on here likes TMBG!). Name: Michael S. E-Mail:msac8802@simcl.stjohns.edu Sex: M Age: 18 City: Staten Island State: NY Three Favorite bands: 1.They Might Be Giants 2.Toad the Wet Sprocket 3.Cub Three Favorite movies:1.Star Wars 2.Empire Strikes Back 3.Return of the Jedi 4.(sorry I HAD to put this in) A Chrismas Story ("You'll shoot your eye out, kid.") Favorite Author:Michael Moorcock Favorite TV show:Men Behaving Badly (that Rob Schnider kills me!!) Favorite Album:John Henry Favorite Songs:Don't Lets Start I've Got a Match Twisting Which Describes How Your Feeling (I can sing the whole thing from memory!!) A Self Called Nowhere Spiriling Shape Favorite Comic:Calvin and Hobbes If you like it fine. If you don't...well...I forgive you!! :) Mike ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:40:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213174010_-1106943369@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: flanstastic!/kenyon/adventures in stereo/survey In a message dated 97-02-12 20:05:18 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << TMBG: Adventures In Stereo At the chat JL mentioned a new band named Adventures In Stereo. Anyone have any info on them, there's no record of them at CDNOW, are they local somewhere >> When JL was on Spin Online a few months back, he mentioned that "Adventures in Stereo" was the best *album* that he has heard recently. Well, either the name of the album is the same as the name of the band, or he was confused and meant to say "New adventures in hi-fi" . Or maybe he was just joking around. But that's just my opinion. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330397AE.53DB@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:37:34 -0800 From: Subway Joe Organization: Aardvarks Against Apartheid Subject: TMBG: Hello...hello? A question for all of you out there on the Hello Cd '96 club: Has ANYONE received the Gordon Gano cd yet, or know when/if the last two cd's are coming out? It's been a loooong long time since I received anything from them. And were you as disappointed as I was with the Soul Coughing selection? What the hell was that all about? And to whoever it was who said it, I wasn't implying that the Violent Femmes are "old school" ska, but folk-punk or whatever you wish to call it. Josh ok, fine, the cd's i usually listen to: TMBG: Lincoln, FS, MU330: Press, Chumps on Parade, Ben Folds Five, all 8 Violent Femmes: self titled, Hallowed Ground, ROCK!!!!(an australian import, not that tough to find), REM: Eponymous. And myriad others. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702132309.SAA11606@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 18:11:51 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Paramus, NJ in-store Heya all! ...just returned from the in-store at Tower in Paramus. 'twas totally cool. Lasted about 35 minutes or so. Got a good tape of it :-@ Sounds like we were all hanging out in Flans's basement... His flu seems to be going away. I hope it's better for tomorrow night's show... Contact me, again, if interested. Finally, Flame all you want. Swear. Quote Neil Diamond lyrics. Whatever. Just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop quoting entire posts, .sigs and all. We could cut the digest in HALF some days that way, and it would save lotsa time. Just a thought... Love, love, love tom pooh head bucket Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:25:04 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Seattle Show Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > Ticketmaster JUST NOW put up the TMBG info, so they JUST went on sale!!! > They are NOT on sale online yet, will probably be tomorrow when they > are. Wait, are you sure? I just went to Tower a couple of hours ago and asked when they'd go on sale, and they said Saturday!! Don't tell me I have to go back now... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:00:52 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: TMBG: Re: At 9:10 AM -0500 2/13/97, Nathan Todd wrote: >I would like to add my voice to the others that have mentioned that the >surveys to the list is a waste of space. Oh yeah the surveys are a waste of space, but this list of what's in your cd wallet is such a valuable resource to us all... whatever... > >My cd wallets contain: TmBg--Self-Titled, Lincoln, JH, FS, 'Hall of >mayors', Back to Skull >Pixies--Doolittle, Surfer Rosa, Come on Pilgrim, Bossanova >Nirvana--In Utero, Garth Brooks--The HIts, Tim Mcgraw--not a moment too soon >Ben Folds Five--Self Titled, Tori Amos--Boys for Pele, REM--Monster >The Offspring--Ixnay on the Hombre, Smash, ignition >Counting Crows--August & everything After, Recovering the Satellites >Meat PUppets--Forbidden Places, too High to Die >The MIghty Mighty Bosstones--Don't KNow HOw to Party > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702132353.SAA22183@norwich.valley.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:54:49 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Snoochie Boochies! Final call! Is ANYONE going to the toad's place concert next thoisday? (20th) If not, you know, stuff! I also had a semi-normal TMBG dream. Because a person can't post securly any more, I'll be brief. I went t a concert, they played 4 songs. It's not my Birthday Maybe I know Gone Daddy Gone (Violent Femmes) Diddgery Doo (" ") Which is odd, because TMBG had never used a diddgery Doo. I don't think ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. I'm a big bad rebel with a bad stereo with a 1-cd changer. But if it went up to five, here's what would be in it: XTC: Skylarking Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Soundtrack Meat Puppets: Too High to Die Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes Why no TMBG? I dunno... Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets For those of you who want a five line .sig, here's one more line for the hell off it. Ah! Make it two! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:04:51 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Tryptophane Message-Id: Tryptophane was also recorded by Mono Puff and can be found as a B-side on the Devil Went Down To Newport single. (It's also on the Hello the Band EP, IIRC). TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:18:48 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: In-store appearance in Ann Arbor Message-ID: I get the digest, so someone may have already posted this today (Thursday), but just in case no one has: TMBG will be giving a live, in-store performance at Wherehouse Records in Ann Arbor (at the corner of South University Ave. and East University Ave.), on Wed. 2/19 at 4pm. It appears that the show is free (these usually are). It's a small store, so it will probably fill up quickly. I don't know if I'll be able to be there (this whole full-time job thing :) ), but I'm sure all y'all will like it (and I will be at the Ypsi show that evening). Later, -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:11:52 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: Paramus, NJ in-store Message-id: I second the motion--nothing annoys me more than a page and a half signature on a post--especially when these people most two or three times. Aiiiiggaaa! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:14:24 +1100 Seeing that they're going out...and I forgot to add a couple of mooooovies! >------ > >Name:Nick, Nicka, Nook, 10000ft Septic >E-mail:Nick.Maria@restech.cra.com.au > >Gender:Male >Age:26 >City:Perth >State/Country:WA/Australia >Occupation:Mining Engineer > >Three Favorite Bands: 1.(Apart from They??) Nick Cave > (only 3) 2.Pop Will Eat Itself 2.5.Pixies > 3.Morissey >Three Favorite Movies: 1.Highlander (Nuns - no sense of humour) > (only 3) 1.5.Like water for chocolate 2.Brazil and anything by Terry Gilliam (with Monty Python up there too!) 2.5.Braindead (and Meet the Feebles, Peter Jackons is a cinema god!) 2.75.The Unbelievable Truth (and other Hal Hartleys) >3.Much Ado about nothing - Go Kenneth!!! > >Favorite Author:Stephen Donaldson >Favorite TV Show:Frontline/AbFab/Men behaving Badly (in fact, all that I >watch apart from sport) >Favorite TMBG album:Lincoln >Favorite TMBG song (only 1):It's not my Birthday Favorite Comic Strip:Calvin & Hobbes (though I enjoy a good 'Heavy Metal' magazine >Favourite Survey response - Mike Leffel >--------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:40:49 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza tomorrow Message-ID: I will be there...coming on a greyhound bus from Pittsburgh (Isn't that from a Simon and Garfunkel song?) hehehe well, I will be wearing jeans and my hayseed Johns shirt...and a big blue winter jacket while waiting in line...maybe say hi to me...I am male...about 6 feet...dark messy hair :) hehehe Josh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:45:43 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Message-ID: My TMBG content: Speaking on some of the odd things found on the liner notes for Their albums, did anyone notice that the illustrious Rolf Conant did the design of Apollo 18? Or am I repeating old news? A while back when the movie "That Thing You Do" came out, i remember someone making a TMBG connection with the movie because the guy who wrote the title song was in a band that opened for Them, something beginning with an "M." Now, I just recently got Fountains of Wayne's album (which is one of The Best Albums Ever, BTW), and I saw that one of the two guys that make up the band (hmm...an interesting construction... :) ) is named Adam Sclesinger. I thought, hey! that sounds familiar! But I couldn't think of why...until I heard that it was he that wrote that song for that movie. Now, my point is, is this guy the same that was in that M band that I can't think of the name of, or is this someone else and I am totally confused? And if it is the same guy, is he still with the other band? _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Oh, that's right, Vyvyan. If the mountain won't come to \\ Muhammed, smash the drawing room to pieces. That's very Buddhist, isn't it?" -Rik, "Nasty," _The Young Ones_ They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970213195801.006beef0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:58:03 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans >>something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff >>in one package) would definitely appeal to them. > >Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely >heard of? It's a double CD and most people are willing to pay that for a double CD. And besides, would *you* pay $25 for a double CD that is almost entirely songsd you've already heard and already have on Tape/CD? At 12:34 PM 2/13/97 -500, Andrew J. Chapman wrote: >Well, since most everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon... The bandwagon is overcrowded, and some of the smaller people in the corner are suffocating... I said a while ago: >TMBG: survey >What CD's do you have in your CD wallet? (Or changer, or lying scattered around >your cd player) Limit to 24. >>>*I hate things like this. Please don't respond to this.*<<< >(If you do just do so in a three or four line thing like at the bottom of >a purposeful message) Well, whatever. I may switch to digest, though... too much mail... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970213200038.0068be18@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:00:40 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger At 07:45 PM 2/13/97 -0500, Queen Sneepy wrote: >My TMBG content: Speaking on some of the odd things found on the liner >notes for Their albums, did anyone notice that the illustrious Rolf Conant >did the design of Apollo 18? Or am I repeating old news? > >A while back when the movie "That Thing You Do" came out, i remember >someone making a TMBG connection with the movie because the guy who wrote >the title song was in a band that opened for Them, something beginning Flans... Mike Viola.... Candy Butchers... Correct me If I'm wrong. ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:04:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213200437_105547806@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA post-show-tomorrow would anyone like to go and eat after the show? we could meet outside the front door to the left by the list of posted upcoming shows, or some better less crowded place if someone can think of one. if so, email me. :) -- jen "and the world screams:" kmsog@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3303D641.1B56@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:04:33 -0800 From: Subway Joe Organization: Aardvarks Against Apartheid Subject: Re: TMBG: Snoochie Boochies! First, to Queen Sneepy (if that is your real name!) The song from That Thing You Do is by that guy you named from Fountains of Wayne, and he is up for an Oscar for best song. There is no mysterious "M" band, unless you think of it as an upside down W. Someone else talked about going to a TMBG concert and they heard It's not my Birthday Maybe I know Gone Daddy Gone (Violent Femmes) Diddgery Doo (" ") The Femmes often open their shows with a song called Didgerido Blues, in which Brian Ritchie wails on the thing. It's a strange sounding instrument. BUT...the Femmes and TMBG have done pretty many concerts together, maybe that's the origin of your dream. That's the best lineup I could dream of, anyhow. Josh look - a post where nobody gripes and nobody gets yelled at! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: This List Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:38:54 -0800 Boy, this list is DEAD during the day... Jesse, Watcher of Lists Which Are Slow Until He Goes Home ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: The They Might Be In Seattle show Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:48:05 -0800 Here's ticketmaster's page for the Showbox Theatre: http://www.ticketmaster.com/directory/venues/sea/75/ It lists the address (1426 1st Ave Seattle) as well as directions to get to it from both north- and south-bound I-5 But yes, it is a 21+ only theatre (for ALL events, no exclusions). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702140150.TAA15555@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:55:20 -0600 ---------- > From: Maria, Nick > Favorite Comic Strip:Calvin & Hobbes (though I enjoy a good 'Heavy > Metal' magazine > >Favourite Survey response - Mike Leffel > >--------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > Mike Leffel bows gracefully and his freakish artificial eyball pops out. It bounces a few times until it finally rolls to the side. Everyone is staring. EVERYONE IS STARING! GAAAAAAAAA! Then Mike says, in a shushed, yet horribly frightened tone.. *THAT ISN'T ***MY** ***EYE!!**** NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Mike "CARTWRIGHT!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 20:53 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans >And besides, would *you* pay $25 for a double CD that is almost entirely >songsd you've already heard and already have on Tape/CD? Well I, for one, am about to.:) I'm actually really excited about this boxed set, 'cause my copy of Lincoln is a cassette. Therefore, I seem to listen to it less than I would if it were on cd. I'm not sure why. Also, my copy of the Pink Album actually belongs to my older brother (I got it for him for his birthday two years ago - funny how it ended up in *my* cd collection, eh?), so I could then give it back to him and no longer feel guilty. Here's what sitting by my cd player at this moment (I can only play one at a time): Moist - Silver Mono Puff - Unsupervised TMBG - Factory Showroom The Muffs - Blonder & Blonder Mamalapeina - Caps Lock Op Ivy - Energy Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:28:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213162808_-1475473407@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Survey Well since that guy who does the surveys is getting mad that everyone is posting their profiles on the list, I will compromise and just post half of it. E-mail: TmbgManiac@AOL.com Gender: Male Age: 18 3 Fav. Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants 2. Weezer 3. Mono Puff Fav. TV Show: Simpsons TMBG Song: Statue Got Me High Fav. Comic The Far Side ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702140241.AA02627@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: M Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:41:32 -0500 (EST) M was a band in the 80s that had a single called Pop Musik ;) The M band Stefanie is refering to is the Candy Butchers. hehe in fact there is no M in the Candy Butchers but thre is an 'M' in Mike Viola who is the lead singer who also wrote 'That Thing you Do' who also got no credit for it and has opened for TMBG many times (and they've been very good), I think that they are even opening for one of these Irving Plaza gigs. I don't think there is any relation to Fountains of Wayne though (of which I listened to but didn't think was all that great). bye Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702140251.AA02641@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:51:28 -0500 (EST) > >>something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff > >>in one package) would definitely appeal to them. > > > >Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely > >heard of? > > It's a double CD and most people are willing to pay that for a double CD. > And besides, would *you* pay $25 for a double CD that is almost entirely > songsd you've already heard and already have on Tape/CD? mmmmm, I think this thing actually works out for both new and old fans. For one thing, the die-hards are definitely going to get it, I mean 19 unreleased songs here if nothing else! Plus Flans has said that he has slightly remixed the other CDs so there could be a slight change. Now even if there isn't, they've compressed all of Misc T/TMBG/Lincoln along with the 19 other songs onto 2 CDs (not 4, which is rightly so as they are short albums). The good thing about that is you can only charge $20-25 for a double CD, which is pretty good. Now the new fans are most likely not going to have the old stuff and thus, if they enjoy Flood at least as half as much as I did (still do!) they will yearn for more TMBG, heck I've paid $25 for CDs from bands I like/have heard of less than TMBG, but then I'm just a CD buying freak who likes to get everything by bands I like ;) If nothing else, you get to hear 3 albums compressed into about 1 1/2 CDs so it's gotta be an interesting mix of TMBG right into Lincoln right into Misc T, don't have to flip discs! *grin* And while we're making these connections here, does anyone think that the Prodigy is the firestarter of lead singer of Sleeper's Louise Wener as sung in Pyrotechnician? And where does the chick from the Art of Noise fit into all of this?? Those crazy Brits. Let's see, well just got a 1 CD player but we've had: Profile: the Ultimate Sparks collection, Depeche Mode: Construction Time again, Radiohead: The Bends, Lightning Seeds: Sugar Coated Iceberg single, Shed Seven: Change Giver, Erasure: The Two Ring Circus, Black 47: Fire of Freedom, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark: Liberator, and The Ocean Blue: self-titled appearing in the CD player as of recently bye Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:05:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213220528_1547560495@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) Name:Joseph E-mail:joseph@who.net Gender:Male Age:32 City:Los Angeles State/Country:Los Angeles/Los Angeles Occupation:Communications freak (film, video, photo, computers) Three Favorite Bands: 1.They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2.REM 3.U2 Three Favorite Movies (only 3; first three from this list): anything directed by Luc Besson, James Cameron, The Cohen Bros., Stanley Kubrick or Ridley Scott (e.g., La Femme Nikita, Aliens, Raising AZ, Full Metal Jacket, Alien, et al.) Favorite Author:Michael Moorcock Favorite TV Show:Strangeluck (tied with Nowhere Man) Favorite TMBG album:Flood Favorite TMBG song (only 1):Minimum Wage (tied with Space Suit) Favorite Comic Strip:Far Side ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:16:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213221630_-805271853@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: broom/survey/sister puff/mouse's dream/dls/other survey > - Also, make sure you have their "movie" ( >http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/broom.mov ) play every >time your computer starts up! (: How, may I ask, do you have a movie play everytime you start your computer (and before you tell me, keep in mind I have a mac)? Survey... Well, I sent mine in, but I might as well jump on the latest trend and send it to the list (granted it's a different day, so it's probably diffrent than the first time i filled it out. ;)): * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name: Sarah Newhouse E-mail: kdsinthhal@aol.com / linnellgirl@tmbg.org Gender: feeeeemale Age: 15 City: Rochester State/Country: NY Occupation: over-caffenated under-studied sophmore in hs Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Barenaked Ladies 3. The Odds Three Favorite Movies: 1. Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (only 3) 2. The Breakfast Club 3. MST3K - The Movie Favorite Author: too busy to read.. ::sigh:: Favourite Shoe: Converse *> Favorite TV Show: KIDS IN THE HALL (watch it, dammit! ;)) (runners up: MST3K, Mr. Bean, NewsRadio, Larry Sanders, the M2 hour, High Tide, Straight Dope) Favorite TMBG album: Truth or Sandwiches / Apollo 18 Stickers on my cd walkman: THEY and WBER Favorite TMBG song (only 1): She Was A Hotel Detective (BTS version) Favourite colours: Black, Blue Favourite things in my room: My blue lava lamp and blue xmas lights Frightened of: bright light, average people, global studies Favorite Comic Strip: Blondie Favourite Giant: John >DON'T SEND YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS TO THE LIST!!!!!! :P~ :) Oh well. I happen to find them interesting. This irks me though -- If you don't want to read it -- DON'T! >of this TMBG survey, I humbly ask that you all just stop >sending the survey to the list. Oh sure, punish me cause I'm on the digest. wull, at least it's not the point of my message. I'm too lazy to delete it. :) >Jack flounced over to the table with his wife. Ooh! Ooh! John Flans' wife.. Has anyone here met her? I do remember someone sayig they saw her and Linnell's gal in a balcony at a They show, but that was before I went to a TMBG show. I think I saw her. I almost asked her if she was Fran, but I didn't see a banner . Now it's been almost 2 months, and I am still dying to know if this was Ms. Flans or not.. And Linnell's girlfriend.. anyone who's seen them for sure, can you describe them for me so I don't go crazy? :) >Could the person who has that TMBG Video complication thing >please E-mail me. I have a video complication = too many and not enough space. ;) in that case, i also have a cd complication and a tape complication. Ha ha.. >Now, I have mulled over this dream all day. <> >Sorry this post is so long. Please don't flame me, I beg you. >Do feel free to analyze my dream, though. I don't know how/why you have thee dreams girl, but I do believe you. I've been having the weirdest KITH dreams ( I think I had 3 last night) and I even did all the pre-TMBG-dream ritual stuff. Even had Truth or Sandwiches on repeat all night. Nothin' but KITH (not that I'm complaining, but I'd really like John and John to show up once in a while!:). BY the waayy... I heard "Don't Let's Start" on the radio today, only it sounded really weird. It didn't even sound like the single mix. It sounded way more mixed. Either that or it was the car radio, but I think it was the song itself. Which leads me to wonder.. Would this be a re-vamped single for "Then.."? Hey Scott (whose friend gave you the promo cd for Then) - is it on there? If so, is it mixed even more? >3.Barenaked Ladies > Three Favorite Movies: 1.Kith:Brain Candy > Favorite TMBG album:Truth Or Sandwiches Mister Jamal Rogers, you rock, m' friend. :) :) >What CD's do you have in your CD wallet? (Or changer, or lying >scattered around your cd player) Limit to 24. Oh you evil person. ;) In that case (don't mind my abbreviations): TMBG: TOS, Misc T, SEXXY, BTS, Lincoln, A18; Orbatal: In Sides; BNL: ShoeBox, BOAPS, Rock Spectacle; Brothers Creeggan (self titled); KITH BC sndtrk; Paul Bellini: The Northland's Own; Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet: Dim The Lights Chill The Ham; Stereolab: ETK; Odds: Bedbugs, GWF; Frank Blank (self titled); Tragically Hip: DFN; Cibo Matto: Viva! La Woman; XTC: Nonsuch; Cardigans: FBOTM; Combustible Edison: I Swinger; Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes. sarah <- seeing a Barenaked Ladies concert on valentines day! :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702140327.WAA26835@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:27:13 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers ** Reply to note from Russ Josephson Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:28:02 -0700 Now Hear This! HTML is for Web pages, not E-mail. (Please write 100 times and present to your teacher in the morning.) *** BTW, I also like the Zippers, but if you said anything about them I have no idea, because I declined to wade through the junk to find it. Now, back to your regularly-scheduled fun, /* // 26 in Earth years, 0 on Pluto * Carl Hudkins // * chud@vnet.net // pardon me while I have a strange interlude * [Team OS/2] // */ // IRC: yther cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:30:39 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: broom/survey/sister puff/mouse's dream/dls/other survey Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > - Also, make sure you have their "movie" ( > >http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/broom.mov ) play every > >time your computer starts up! (: > How, may I ask, do you have a movie play everytime you start your computer > (and before you tell me, keep in mind I have a mac)? > > Survey... Well, I sent mine in, but I might as well jump on the latest trend > and send it to the list (granted it's a different day, so it's probably > diffrent than the first time i filled it out. ;)): > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- You stick it in your system folder, and label it "startupmovie". :) That should do the trick. :) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:19:38 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: In defense of Flans Message-Id: I would like to specify that by typing the below sentance, I was not demeaning Flans, I was just specifying that some people DO take it upon them to make Flans out as the follower. I think he is brilliant. Thanks. Tarnished Silence 210 ############################################### ## ## ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## ## still alive and there's nothing I ## ## want to do." ## ## -They Might Be Giants ## ## ## ## Under the realism of reality, a ## ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## ## it is beyond your hearing. ## ## ## ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## ## ## ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## ## ## ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## ## orange210@hotmail.com ## ## tsilence@geocities.com ## ## ## ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## ## ## ############################################### On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >> Yes, it is very unfortunate that many people attribute the > > success of They to the premonition that Linnel is the brains > > and that Flans goes along with everything that Linnel does. > > >From everything that I've heard, this statement is almost entirely wrong. > Flans has always been much more willing to be agressive on the band's > behalf. He's the one who writes the setlists at shows, and he decides which > order the songs go on the album. And let's not forget that he writes half > the songs. I love Linnell as much as the next person, but I really hate > Flans-bashing. > > >"Les guignols de l'info" > > !!! > > Whoa... never thought I'd find another Guignols fan in the States! > As long as we're on kewl French comedy, I hereby state my fandom of Les > Chevaliers du Fiel. > > >something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff > >in > > one package) would definitely appeal to them. > > Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely > heard of? > > --nicole the wonder nerd > who feels smugly superior because Skankin' Pickle is a local band for her, > and she's seen them a few times. (A friend of mine tried to get them to > play the Los Gatos High junior prom last year, but they backed out at the > last minute. :< > *** > "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about > the band's fans. > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:05:51 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: movies on Macs Message-ID: > > > - Also, make sure you have their "movie" ( > > >http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/broom.mov ) play every > > >time your computer starts up! (: > > How, may I ask, do you have a movie play everytime you start your computer > > (and before you tell me, keep in mind I have a mac)? > > > You stick it in your system folder, and label it "startupmovie". :) That > should do the trick. :) > Actually, within the system folder (at least this is true on the Performa I'm using right now in the computer lab) there should be a folder that says "Startup Items." Anything you put in that folder will automatically be executed when you start the computer. I have this computer saying a different quote every week or so...currently it's Beavis (as that Cornhulio or however you spell it guy) saying "Are you threatening me?!?" In the past, it's had "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villanry" (from Star Wars) and "How can I be expected to handle school on a day like this" (from Ferris Bueller's Day Off), among other things. It's cool. See ya. BTW, we're almost to 100 surveys, but I'm sure a couple of them have been sent to me (via the list sometimes) multiple times (grrrr....). Keep 'em coming, folks...see ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Hey, listen to me, I'm on the stereo...." --Pavement, "Stereo" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:09:26 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey Message-ID: > Well since that guy who does the surveys is getting mad that everyone is > posting their profiles on the list, I will compromise and just post half of > it. > Grrrrr.....I'm not just "that guy", you punk. (heheheheh) Damn it, I'm a human being with a name and a face....and a few megabytes to waste on his quota for the web page allotment at this freakin' school. Keep that in mind, smart guy. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I think I'm hyper enough as it is...." --Superchunk ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:10:28 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: movies on Macs Message-ID: Yes, but that will make it happen AFTER the startup sequence. If done the other way, it will play when the computer is doing its bootup routine. :) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:05:32 PST Subject: TMBG: ok.....my stuff Message-ID: <19970213.220956.9478.26.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) wheeee a survey..... TMBG- self titled lincoln flood misc. t apollo18 john henry factory showroom back to skull why does the sun shine s-e-x-x-y mono puff-unsupervised replicants the rentals self-subliminal plastic motives r.e.m- out of time automatic for the people eponymous smashing pumpkins- siamese dream mellon collie and the infinite sadness ween- pure guava the pod god ween satan and brain candy soundtrack. and a bunch of weird al stuff that i dont want to type.... any one out there live in st louis???? and kelly person in wisconsin email me again cause i accidently deleted your mail and now i must go pee ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970214042308.006b483c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:23:08 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: A They baby >-jennifer and the bean > age 27 (the bean is age -5.5 mos) > >p.s. oh yeah, I ordered the TMBG baby shirt last week. The bean (a.k.a. >Cleetus the fetus) is gonna be totally rockin! :D > Congrats, Jennifer!!!! Just think... a new TMBG fan. I'm going to have a roommate-once-removed in about two weeks, and I've already got the Baby Man t-shirt. It's adorable, but it's pretty big (size 4T). --nicole the wonder nerd who is trying to find a baby-sized ABBA t-shirt, too... my roommie really likes ABBA... *** "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about the band's fans. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: In-store appearance in Ann Arbor Message-ID: <19970213.193313.8167.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:16:57 EST Please please someone, anyone videotape this instore! You will be greatly rewardly with bootlegs for your efforts! Larry P.S. - Newbies, this means you! "I use antlers in all of my decorating." - Gaston, "Beauty and the Beast" http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702140435.WAA19239@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:28:27 -0600 > Favorite Comic Strip:Far Side A lot of you have posted this for F.C.S.,( as well as Calvin and Hobbes... the greatest choices in the world, BTW.. ).. But, The Far Side is no more a "strip" than Sandman is. *IT'S A PANEL!*, sez we in the biz. Mike "I've been feeling low lately, and now I'm going to kick your sweet asses!" Leffel I'm just being silly. maleffel@ncfcomm.com Proud Member and Chairperson of the International Unwilling Abstinence League "The Fuck With All Of Them!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330406A8.434@fastrans.net> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:31:04 -0800 From: Aarti Organization: milk Subject: TMBG: sorry all I had a very bad day the last time I mailed to the list...sorry I was kinda mean. That letter from that guy telling everyone off was the first thing I read and it was just the perfect end to a horrible day. So anyway sorry everyone I won't do that again. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:54:02 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey Message-ID: <19970213.230959.3366.45.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) im just wondering....why does it matter if this survey is sent to the list? it gets to you both ways... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:20:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: some musical questions... Some questions/clarifications about some musical aspects of some of Their songs: Is the "part of you is hovering" part of Where Your Eyes Don't Go in 6/8 or 4/4? At some early concerts they sing it in either really badly syncopated 6/8 or just change it to 4/4, because it doesn't sound right... I'm pretty sure the whole thing is in 6/8 on the album... When it Rains it Snows is quite obviously in 3/4, but the way I've got it sequenced, it's at 190bpm, which seems just a bit high, even though it lines up just fine with the song on the CD. If I put it in 3/8, then it comes out at about 90bpm, which generally seems much more reasonable. Or is it just that I've always thought of 190 as being fast regardless of the context? Does anyone have chords/notes for the following: the second and third instrumentals in How Can I Sing Like a Girl - both the chords and the lead guitar parts - they don't seem to match the refrains. the ending of I Should Be Allowed to Think Maybe I Know My Evil Twin Your Own Worst Enemy the tuba part in I Can Hear You (I'm trying to sequence all of these - except Maybe I Know, which I'm just trying to play - but I can't figure out some of the parts) Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:22:40 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey Message-ID: > im just wondering....why does it matter if this survey is sent to the > list? it gets to you both ways... > Well, It matters if you send to the list because then I will get the same survey twice. Me, in my infinite wisdom and amazing memory skills, forget who has just sent one. So I'm forced to go through the 100 + surveys that I've already received and see if that person has already sent me one. In other words...it's a bitch. I'm out. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:49:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970214004921_950218874@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: smile, folks... MONK GLOATS OVER YOGA CHAMPIONSHIP "I am the serenest!" he says LHASA, TIBET - Employing the brash style that first brought him to prominence, SriDhananjai Bikram won the fifth annual International Yogi Competition yesterday with a world-record point total of 873.6. "I am the serenest!" Bikram shouted to the estimated crowd of 20,000 yoga fans, vigorously pumping his fists. "No one is serener than Sri Dhananjai Bikram-I am the greatest monk of all time!" Bikram averaged 1.89 breaths a minute during the two-hour competition, nearly .3 fewer than his nearest competitor, second-place finisher and two-time champion Sri Salil "The Hammer" Gupta. The heavily favored Gupta was upset after the loss. "I should be able to beat that guy with one lung tied," Gupta said. "I'm beside myself right now, and I don't mean trans-bodily." Bikram got off to a fast start at the Lhasa meet, which like most major competitions, is a six-event affair. In the first event, he attained total consciousness (TC) in just 2 minutes, 34 seconds, and set the tone for the rest of the meet by repeatedly shouting, "I'm blissful! You blissful?! I'm blissful!" to the other yogis. Bikram, 33, burst onto the international yoga scene with a gold-mandala performance at the 1994 Bhutan Invitational. At that competition he premiered his aggressive style, at one point in the flexibility event sticking his middle toes out at the other yogis. While no prohibition exists against such behavior, according to Yoga League Commissioner Swami Prabhupada, such behavior is generally considered "unBuddhalike." "I don't care what the critics say," Bikram said. "Sri Bikram is just gonna go out there and do Sri Bikram's own yoga thing." Before the Bhutan meet, Bikram had never placed better than fourth. Many said he had forsaken rigorous training for the celebrity status accorded by his Bhutan win, endorsing Nike's new line of prayer mats and supposedly dating the Hindu goddess Shakti. But his performance this week will regain for him the number one computer ranking and earn him new respect, as well as for his coach Mahananda Vasti, the controversial guru some have called Bikram's "guru." "My special training diet for Bikram of one super-charged, carbo-loaded grain of rice per day was essential to his win," Vasti said. The defeated Gupta denied that Bikram's taunting was a factor in his inability to attain TC. "I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul." In the second event, flexibility, Bikram maintained the lead by supporting himself on his index fingers for the entire 15 minutes while touching the back of his skull to his lower spine. The feat was matched by Gupta, who first used the position at the 1990 Tokyo Zen-Off. "That's my meditative position of spiritual ecstasy, not his," remarked Gupta. "He stole my thunder." Bikram denied the charge, saying, "Gupta's been talking like that ever since he was a 3rd century Egyptian slave-owner." Nevertheless, a strong showing by Gupta in the third event, the shotput, placed him within a lotus petal of the lead at the competition's halfway point. But event number four, the contemplation of unanswerable riddles known as koans, proved the key to victory for Bikram. The koan had long been thought the weak point of his spiritual arsenal, but his response to today's riddle-"Show me the face you had before you were born "-was reportedly "extremely illuminative," according to Commissioner Prabhupada. While koan answers are kept secret from the public for fear of exposing the uninitiated multitudes to the terror of universal truth, insiders claim his answer had Prabhupada and the two other judges "highly enlightened." With the event victory, Bikram built himself a nearly insurmountable lead, one he sustained through the yak-milk churn and breathing events to come away with the upset victory. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:53:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970214005340_2026862971@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Survey (I have time to kill, what can I say), Flans > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Name: Adam > E-mail: NitpickR@aol.com > Gender: Male > Age: 18 > City: Orlando > State/Country: FL > Occupation: chef > > Three Favorite Bands: 1.They Might Be Giants > (only 3) 2. Combustible Edison > 3. The Coctails > > Three Favorite Movies: 1. Four Rooms > (only 3) 2. Citizen Kane > 3. Pal Joey (It is good...) > > Favorite Author: Kinky Friedman > Favorite TV Show: The Simpsons > Favorite TMBG album: The Pink Album aka Big Blue Butt > Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Number Three (changes minutely) > Favorite Comic Strip: Calvin and Hobbes > * --------------------------------------------------------------------- Mousegirl wrote- <<[Flans is] Not overly intelligent>> Well, I'm going to disagree with you. Just becuase he uses a different lyrical style than Mr. Linnell does not make him any less intelligent. In what I have heard from interviews, he always comes off sounding like he knows what he is talking about and doing. He seems to be an archive for pop music. I think he's pretty smart (but not proud of it, as they have stated). Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-44 *****************************