Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-45 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 45 Saturday, 15 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dust Bunny Returns! TMBG: Who compiled DASs? TMBG: Rides to Irving Plaza, 2/21 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-43 Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) TMBG: FS good/bad? TMBG: stuff TMBG: Help out an amnesiac TMBG: List Shirts (none) RE: TMBG: Random Stuff.... (none) TMBG: Reprehensible TMBG: Pet Name-Unforgotten TMBG: the unforgotten pet name Re: TMBG: Survey Re: TMBG: Survey (I have time to kill, what can I say), Flans Re: TMBG: Help out an amnesiac Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... TMBG: NARG! TMBG: Portland show TMBG: Oh, BTW TMBG: WANTED: tix to Kenyon TMBG: Re: in defense of Flans TMBG: THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS, PROMO TMBG: TMBG in BMG TMBG: seattle show TMBG: Whither Then? Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMG TMBG: Kenyon College TMBG: THE PARAMUS TOWER RECORDS GUY THAT I TALKED TO?!?! Re: TMBG: Whither Then? TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected TMBG: My (Boring) Dream / and other stuff Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... Re: TMBG: My (Boring) Dream / and other stuff TMBG: long-winded TMBG: Survey: ignore if these sorts of things bother you.. Re: TMBG: long-winded TMBG: Boy Meets World. TMBG: Flans vs. Linnell... Re: TMBG: Portland show Re: TMBG: Whither Then? TMBG: Profile Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Re: TMBG: Profile Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Re: TMBG: long-winded TMBG: The Real FCC Scoop (you've been hoaxed) Re: TMBG: Profile Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMG TMBG: Then; spam (?) Re: TMBG: long-winded Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected TMBG: Re: Long Winded Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199702140812.DAA15992@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 03:12:29 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Dust Bunny Returns! Okay, before we get to the ugly survey part, I'm going to field an even uglier question to all you ridiculous programming loonies out there. Is there a mail program out there with a built-in scripting language (preferably LISP)? I want something for Win95 but a UNIX version will do. *** Hey, Bill! If it's not too much trouble, can you change my bands? *** Name: Rev. Jonathan M. Scott E-mail: mrhorrible@foo.org Gender: Male Age: 18 City: Leesburg State/Country: VA/USA Occupation: College Student/Computer Engineer Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Pink Floyd 3. Rush Three Favorite Movies: 1. Clerks! (only 3) 2. Mallrats! 3. Tank Girl! Favorite Author: Douglas Adams Favorite TV Show: X-Files Favorite TMBG album: Oh, my... John Henry? Favorite TMBG song (only 1): No One Knows My Plan Favorite Comic Strip: Dilbert * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * * "Stove top full of meat by-products * Straight from hell to your kitchen table * It's got to be some damn good food * 'Cause there's a demon right on the label" * -"Deviled Ham" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 03:39:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970214033903_1514025230@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Who compiled DASs? Hello 41- I have a question for all those out there in cyberspace (I know I'm funny, don't stop me). Who compiled the DAS compilations? Any email addresses or leads or whatever will be very helpful, thanks. SuperD149@aol.com wrote <> I am not sure if this was intentional, but it really made me laugh. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf ~I might be giants too. Currently in the CD Changer- TMBG-Flood, Laurie Anderson-Big Science, Devo-EZ Listening Disc, Coctails-Live At The Lounge Ax, Combustible Edison-I Swinger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702140821.DAA25477@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 03:21:30 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Rides to Irving Plaza, 2/21 Here's the situation: I have an amazingly tangled schedule between Thursday and Saturday of next week, but I've decided that I may just throw all good sense to the wind and go to Irving Plaza on Friday night. Before I do so, there are several things I need to know: - At what times does the show begin and end? - How much are tickets and where do I get them? - Is it even remotely possible to park a car near the show? - Does anyone (who can drive a stick-shift) want to come with me? I'd be going to be going directly from Blacksburg, VA to the show and then directly back to McLean, VA (pretty much I-95 all the way). *** If anyone can answer these questions, please e-mail me! *** * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * (WATCH THIS SPACE) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 06:29:06 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-43 Message-ID: Name: Elitza Nicolaou E-mail: ana-ng@poetic.com Age: 15 (and proud of it!) Occupation: Bored, jobless high school sophomore Fave Bands: TMBG, BNL, Indigo Girls Fave Movies: Anything Star Wars; anything Monty Python (esp. Life of Brian and Holy Grail); and Ferris Bueller's Day Off Fave Comics: CALVIN AND HOBBES all the way baby! Far Side too- but since they're both gone I guess Mother Goose and Grimm and Cathy will have to suffice. Fave TMBG Songs: Dead and Which Describes how you're Feeling, Kiss me Son of God, For Science Fave TV Shows: X-Files and Fawlty Towers, AbFab, MST3K, Speed Racer I think that's it. Gotta be going off to the schule now- not that I'm planning on enjoying it or anything... especially since waking up to CHEM is possibly the worst thing in the world. ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey (so don't read it if ya don't wanna) Message-Id: Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:30:42 +0000 () On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:28:27 -0600 Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Favorite Comic Strip:Far Side > > > A lot of you have posted this for F.C.S.,( as well as Calvin > and Hobbes... the greatest choices in the world, BTW.. ).. > > > But, The Far Side is no more a "strip" than Sandman is. ok! I'm sorry, sandman isn't a strip but I really haven't been inspired by any *real* ones enough to mention them. I figured it was better to mention something good that wasn't quite relavant than something I wasn't that enthusiastic about. I suppose it's a bit rude to make up new categories though but don't worry, at least no one has mentioned charlie f*@cking brown! chrissy x x > > > > *IT'S A PANEL!*, sez we in the biz. > > > > > Mike "I've been feeling low lately, and now > I'm going to kick your sweet asses!" Leffel > > > > > I'm just being silly. > maleffel@ncfcomm.com > > Proud Member and Chairperson > of the International Unwilling Abstinence League > > "The Fuck With All Of Them!" ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:29:04 +0100 Message-Id: <97021413290455@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: FS good/bad? * Just a short line, no one album has been deemed the greatest has it? It all * comes down to personal taste. However, it is true to say that each album has a* definite 'sound' or 'feel' to it. If you go for it then enjoy it! X Yvonne X ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702141350.AA14434@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:37:14 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: stuff >>something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff >>in >> one package) would definitely appeal to them. >Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely >heard of? Well I bought *Sand in the Vaseline* by the talking heads after hearing 2 songs and having a couple people say they were good... Then there was Smashing PUmpkin's Mellon COllie which I just *had* to have at the time, mostly because of Tonight, Tonight. Both double cds that I hadn't really heard of the band all that much. I ended up liking both of them, although not nearly on a tmbg-level, of course. But that goes without saying. Unless, of course, you say it anyway. Which I did. So in this case, it goes WITH saying. Okay, i"m done now. (But I won't be till my head falls off...) Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:53:43 -0500 (EST) From: SPYDIIR Subject: TMBG: Help out an amnesiac Message-id: What song and album does the line "the spiraling shape will make you go insane" come from? Thanks a bunch... sPyDiiR ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:29:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Amy ;)" Subject: TMBG: List Shirts Message-ID: Well, March 3 sounds like as good a time as any to make a deadline for your OMLT votes. Go now and vote! You can do it from lynx! Just go! As you can see from me, Ryan Staib and Boba, yelling list really doesn't work. So go! Now! Ok, I heard Reprehensible for the first time at my first concert, last May in Cincinnati. I just got a copy of a show (thanks Fran and Alex :) with Reprehensible on it, and, listening to it, my very first thoughts are backed up -- does anyone else agree with me that the clarinet solo should be done on soprano sax? Not that I'm not a clarinet fan -- I play it, it's my major. But I really think that for the style they're trying to get across, a sax would be better. Only a weed till I can see Them again! Yeah yeah! I hope all you Kenyon-going people come find me, or something. I'll be in the 6th row (is that right Dwayne?) with Dwayne (dstange) and some of his friends and I think another listie? Well anyway, it should be great, and I look forward to meeting all of you. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:34:52 -0500 (EST) From: "Amy ;)" Message-ID: I just realized something the other day. Unforgotten, on the SEXXY single, and Pet Name on Factory Showroom sound surprisingly similar. TMBG songs are usually so different that I can't really think of any other two songs that sound as alike as these two. They could have come straight off of a 70's "lite rock" album or something. And I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, it just occurred to me. Also I was wondering...in light of this, since a lot of people didn't seem to like Pet Name at first, did you same people not like Unforgotten at first too? BTW, I am 21 years, 6 months, 16 days, 7 hours, and 10 minutes old. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams, _Last Chance to See_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Random Stuff.... Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:48:23 +1100 ><4. In response to the ska stuff, I think TMBG fans should definitely >check the ska thing out. However, Violent Femmes are not old school ska. >They are, however, another really great band TMBG fans should check out... >I would recommend starting with Add It Up (1991-1993) a greatest hits so >far compilation of sorts, or Rocks, which is their most recent release and >impossibly difficult to come by as far as I can tell (but I have a copy, >so who cares :}) > Personally I would suggest the Violent Femmes self titled album. It's one of the best debut albums I have heard! Cheers and Beers >10000ft Septic > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:08:26 -0500 (EST) From: "Amy ;)" Message-ID: > TMBG will be giving a live, in-store performance at Wherehouse > Records in Ann Arbor (at the corner of South University Ave. and East > University Ave.), on Wed. 2/19 at 4pm. It appears that the show is free > (these usually are). It's a small store, so it will probably fill up > quickly. Wow oh wow if I could only get there :( What a major bummer!! At least I'll be at the concert later that night though. Please someone please try to tape both events! I'll love you forever! > Is the "part of you is hovering" part of Where Your Eyes Don't Go in 6/8 > or 4/4? At some early concerts they sing it in either really badly > syncopated 6/8 or just change it to 4/4, because it doesn't sound > right... I'm pretty sure the whole thing is in 6/8 on the album... As far as I can tell, it stays in 6/8 the whole way through. I'm not sure about the live versions of it, but for the album version I'd say that's what it is. > When it Rains it Snows is quite obviously in 3/4, but the way I've got > it sequenced, it's at 190bpm, which seems just a bit high, even though > it lines up just fine with the song on the CD. If I put it in 3/8, then > it comes out at about 90bpm, which generally seems much more reasonable. > Or is it just that I've always thought of 190 as being fast regardless > of the context? I think that WIRIS is in 3/8....190 *is* awfully fast, and the fact that there is a really strong accent on the downbeat making it seem like one beat/measure makes me think 3/8 rather than 3/4 Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Why do they call it a "building"? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a "built"? -- Jerry Seinfeld ***In my CD player: Kathryn Rose, Every Lurid Detail (everyone needs to get it -- greatest album I've heard in a long long time, email Michael Rose for details) :) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702141415.AA13101@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Reprehensible Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:15:40 -0500 (EST) > Ok, I heard Reprehensible for the first time at my first concert, last > May in Cincinnati. I just got a copy of a show (thanks Fran and Alex :) > with Reprehensible on it, and, listening to it, my very first thoughts are > backed up -- does anyone else agree with me that the clarinet solo should > be done on soprano sax? Not that I'm not a clarinet fan -- I play it, > it's my major. But I really think that for the style they're trying to > get across, a sax would be better. Nahhh! the clarinet is extremely beautiful in that song, it wouldn't be as great as it is without it. I really dig that clarinet sound. Besides there is enough sax in various TMBG songs, but hardly any clarinet, ya know? > > Only a weed till I can see Them again! Yeah yeah! I hope all you Wow, I hope that weed isn't too big, don't get hurt climbing over it ;) byee Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702141418.AA13108@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Pet Name-Unforgotten Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:18:15 -0500 (EST) > I just realized something the other day. Unforgotten, on the SEXXY > single, and Pet Name on Factory Showroom sound surprisingly similar. TMBG > songs are usually so different that I can't really think of any other two > songs that sound as alike as these two. They could have come straight off > of a 70's "lite rock" album or something. And I'm not saying that this is > a bad thing, it just occurred to me. Also I was wondering...in light of > this, since a lot of people didn't seem to like Pet Name at first, did you > same people not like Unforgotten at first too? heheh here I go to cut down Amy again *grin* Pet Name is a beautiful, pure pop song off of Factory Showroom. Unforgotten on the other hand is kind of a boring song that is just ok to listen to. I don't really see too much of a similarity although it has been a little while since I've listened to either. I was a little disappointed in Unforgotten at first while I really enjoyed Pet Name the first time (and still do!). > > BTW, I am 21 years, 6 months, 16 days, 7 hours, and 10 minutes old. Boy, are you young! ;) byee Matt of 22 -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33047B26.162@wwnet.com> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:48:06 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: the unforgotten pet name Amy ;) wrote: > > I just realized something the other day. Unforgotten, on the SEXXY > single, and Pet Name on Factory Showroom sound surprisingly similar. I think they have the same 'feel' to them, even though the music isn't really all that similar. Pet Name's hook is the bassline, and Unforgotten seems to be the vocals more than anything, although that little rising guitar triplet lick is probably the intended hook. Also, the subject matter is related, and the lyrical melody is kind of similar too, as well as the voice being used the same way in each song. So basically I'm agreeing with you, although they're not so similar that I noticed it consciously. > Also I was wondering...in light of > this, since a lot of people didn't seem to like Pet Name at first, did you > same people not like Unforgotten at first too? When I first got FS, Pet Name and SEXXY were my favorite songs. Now it's Spiraling Shape, but Pet Name is still one I really like. Unforgotten is my favorite song on SEXXY5. I'm trying to cover it for the tribute album. I already tabbed out the song, since nobody else seemed to have done it yet. Maybe from a lack of interest? I thought it was a great song. IT sounds like something I would write =) Dwayne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:36:00 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey Message-ID: <19970214.105732.10246.71.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) ooooooooh......i seeee.....makes sence i guess ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:39:20 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Survey (I have time to kill, what can I say), Flans Message-ID: <19970214.105732.10246.72.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) ugh...four rooms...why didnt i put that down.....tis a good movie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:47:16 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Help out an amnesiac Message-ID: <19970214.105732.10246.73.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) ummm....that song there would be from 'spiralling shape' from factory showroom..number..i think..8 or 9...and how can you not know where that was from? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:30:02 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Um... There are two sides. These are all the back (?). Once one is voted > on, or before then, the authors of the designs can make something for the > front of it. Do we get to vote on what goes on the other side, then? Just makin' things more complicated. That's what I do. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: NARG! Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 07:58:35 -0800 NARG! Ticketmaster's web site lied to me... *sniff* TMBG tickets for the seattle showbox show don't go on sale until saturday at 10am. *sigh* On the up-side, I just picked up a double-cd promotional-only set of Tori Amos, including a wedding she did with her father presiding, a bunch of demo stuff, some of which she did when she was 17, and a live concert in Amsterdam. So my day didn't go THAT badly. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:13:40 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: Portland show Message-Id: So am I going to see any of you at the March 11'th Portland show? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Oh, BTW Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:14:34 -0800 Tickets for the Seattle Showbox show go on sale Saturday the 15th (tomorrow) at all ticketmaster locations. Price is $17.00 + $3.75 fee, thus $20.75 total. And yes, it's a 21+ only show (blame the Showbox). Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970214184109.0066cc54@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:41:09 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: WANTED: tix to Kenyon I am writing asking if anyone knows someone at Kenyon who might be able to get **2 tickets** for Their show 4/26/97. I wrote earlier saying how it was a "private" concert, but recently read several messages of people who got tickets from someone they knew. So, please, if you can help me out, please e-mail me privately. Or if what I am trying to do is completely illegal, etc., please also e-mail me. Thanks Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) 20 year old college male :) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ | "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." | /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:20:40 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: Re: in defense of Flans Apparently, though all messages sent to me could not be opened, I gather that I offended a few people with my last post. Let me clarify a few things. My post- I did NOT mean to imply that Flans is stupid or unintelligent. I'm as pro-Flans as it gets. I think I meant "Not as overly intelligent-sounding" or something....sheesh, I'll leave it at they write differently. Generally, my fave TMBG songs are Flans songs. I hope I cleared things up. Stasi "FlansGirl" Hunt ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:55:38 -0500 Message-Id: From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: TMBG: THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS, PROMO ................................................................................ Many people have asked me to be more detailed about the promo for the new CD. Here is the Information: the CD is Called: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS SELECTIONS FROME THE 2-CD RETROSPECTIVE THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS Those words are on the front cover, in caps. At the bottom, also in lower-case letters: instore play sampler - not for sale The artwork on the front cover is a cartoon of five toy boats, sailing through a field of grass. One boat shows a toy soldier, aiming a cannon at one of the other boats. Here's how the back looks: 1. Don't Let's Start 2. Now That I have Everything 3. Famous Polka 4. Ana Ng 5. I'm Def 6. Nightgown of the Sullen Moon 7. (She Was a) Hotel Detective 8. Birds Fly 9. Which Describes How You're Feeling 10. We're The Replacements 11. Greek #3 12. Become a Robot 13. Kiss Me Son of God 14. Weep Day 15. Schoolchildren Singing "Particle Man" Other words on the back cover, which is puke green by the way, are as follows: PROMO ONLY SAMPLER. FOR INSTORE PLAY ONLY. FROM THE DOUBLE-CD RETROSPECTIVE THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS (72931). TRACKS 2,5,9,11,12,14 & 15 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED PRO-95. PROMO ONLY. NOT FOR SALE. COPYRIGHT RESTLESS, 1616 VISTA DEL MAR AVE., HOLLYWOOD, CA 90028. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED http://www.tmbg.com http://www.restless.com/giants.html There is a picture of a blue sailor, dancing a jig on the back cover. The same picture is on the CD. Hope this helps. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970214195709.006c2e00@spectra.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:57:09 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in BMG Heyas, there is a big pic of the Johns in the new BMG catalog. It's the same pic that was in People magazine. They still have 2 of the songs spelled wrong tho- Sexxxy and XTC vs. Atom Ant...hmm --Amy #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: seattle show Date: Fri, 14 Feb 97 12:09:00 P Message-Id: <3304C7CB@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> PISS!!!!!!!!!!! the seattle show is 21 and over? I was so pumped about finialy seeing TMBG in concert, and now i find out that it's 21 and over. piss. well my chances of finding fake I.D. are very slim so i guess i'm screwed. if any one finds out that it actually isn't 21 and over, please contact me. or if there is another show sometime tell me. brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970214203849.006b5270@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:38:49 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Whither Then? >>>something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff >>>in one package) would definitely appeal to them. >> >>Yeah, but for $25? I mean, would *you* spend $25 on a band you'd barely >>heard of? > >It's a double CD and most people are willing to pay that for a double CD. >And besides, would *you* pay $25 for a double CD that is almost entirely >songsd you've already heard and already have on Tape/CD? In my case, yes, because my copy of Lincoln has skips (I don't know why! I treat it like gold! Guess I listen to it too often...), and it's becoming all but unlistenable, especially on my crappy boombox. Who's planning on going to the Palo Alto show? Will there be an opening band? --nicole the wonder nerd 19 years old travel cd case : TMBG: FS, A18, and SEXXY; Moxy Fruvous: Bargainville, The B Album; The Baltimore Consort: Music of Renaissance France; The Dufay Collective: Miri It Is; Man... Or Astroman? : Your Weight On The Moon; Simon and Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water; Pow Wow: Regagner Les Plaines; _Once On This Island_ soundtrack; and J.S. Bach: Suites and Sonatas Transcribed For Guitar. *** "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about the band's fans. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:09:50 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Feb-97 TMBG: TMBG in BMG by ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY"@spe > was in People magazine. They still have 2 of the songs spelled wrong tho- > Sexxxy and XTC vs. Atom Ant...hmm --Amy I really don't want to think about what the implications of a song called S-E-X-X-X-Y would be... :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:27:00 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: Kenyon College Message-Id: alright if anyone out there goes to kenyon college, and would be willing to overcome the evil plots of "the man" by purchasing a tmbg ticket for us non-kenyon attending listies. i would greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail me and let me know. thanks. later. "insanity is the purest form of humanity." -mci@tmbg.org- not just another pretty face ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:24:14 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <3304D7FE.4EC5@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: THE PARAMUS TOWER RECORDS GUY THAT I TALKED TO?!?! I talked to this really cool guy who said he was on the mailing list. he went to the tower records show. I Just wanted to get in touch with him. Uh, if you talked to a kid with brown curly hair and a fat green jacket, and a girl that looked like Christina Ricci, get back to me!!! thanks alot! Snoogans! -- Brian B. (Faboo23) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970214213353.00672a98@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:33:53 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Then? At 12:38 PM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote: >In my case, yes, because my copy of Lincoln has skips (I don't know why! I >treat it like gold! Guess I listen to it too often...), and it's becoming >all but unlistenable, especially on my crappy boombox. Some CD wipes might fix everything. They've worked wonders for me... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:00:44 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected Message-ID: Okay, I must add a piece of info (the state) to my post of yesterday, and correct a mistake I made (one of the streets): TMBG will be playing an in-store show at Wherehouse records, located at the corner of South University Ave. and Church St. in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at 4pm on 2/19 (this Wednesday). It's a small store, so get there early. -Sean ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970214162555.006901a4@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:52:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: My (Boring) Dream / and other stuff Last night I had a dream... I was at a record store in northland mall (columbus, oh), but instead of the normal way it was it had blacklights all over the place and a smoke machine in the back. There was this big pile of singles in the back, and I was searching through it. I found two TMBG singles, but they were not typical. One had 6 songs on it, the other had 9 (I think), and both had the same cover art, which was basically the same as FS, except TMBG was smaller and the title was big in the middle, and the whole thing was shot from a different angle (but it was the same, with colors and overlays and stuff). The two differed from each other, also. I don't remember what they were titled, but I do remember that they weren't just the name of a song, they each had a definite title and no remixes or anything, just a whole bunch of new songs that I hadn't heard of. Also, they were both in those slim CD cases like imported singles are. I never got a chance to listen to them, because I woke up. Why don't J&J have concerts in my dreams? OH, and one more thing... Anyone have a copy of the Then: promo they wanna send me :) ? Or (this would be easier) does anyone know of a record store in central ohio that might have it in their used section? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970214162729.00691248@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:52:47 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... At 09:30 AM 2/14/97 -0800, 'Honey Bunny' N Olson wrote: >On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: >> Um... There are two sides. These are all the back (?). Once one is voted >> on, or before then, the authors of the designs can make something for the >> front of it. > >Do we get to vote on what goes on the other side, then? NO! The front will be "TMBG-LIST" scrawled out in my ugly handwriting. HAHAHAHA!! "I'm insane... I'm insane..." -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 15:26:11 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... Message-ID: On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > NO! The front will be "TMBG-LIST" scrawled out in my ugly handwriting. > HAHAHAHA!! OK, just as long as we're all clear on that. :> > "I'm insane... I'm insane..." That too... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970214235557.0067178c@mail.awod.com> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:55:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: My (Boring) Dream / and other stuff At 05:52 PM 2/14/97 -0500, you wrote: >OH, and one more thing... Anyone have a copy of the Then: promo they wanna >send me :) ? Or (this would be easier) does anyone know of a record store >in central ohio that might have it in their used section? You could always do what I did. :> There's a really small used record store here where I live, and I went up and asked the cashier. He told me he'd ask BMG for a promo copy to play in-store next time he talked to them and that he'd sell it to me for like $7-$9. If there's a small, struggling record store around you, they'll be more than happy to go the extra mile for you. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215001210.006763a4@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:12:10 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: long-winded Does anyone think that They might be getting better at creating longer, more lyrical songs? Since I recently completed my collection of They albums, I noticed how the length of Their last 2 albums has greatly increased, meaning length per song. But not only has the song length risen, but so has the quality of the songs. - Pink (19 songs, 38:38 length) - Lincoln (18 songs, 39:39 length) - Flood (19 songs, 43:23 length) - Apollo 18 (18 songs, 43:17 length) - John Henry (20 songs, 57:16 length) - Factory Showroom (13 songs, 42:39 length) I only hope Their next album (due out late summer, I believe) will continue this trend. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a 10 song, 45 min CD, as long as They never lose Their rockin' stlye. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) 20 year old college MALE "A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:07:26 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Survey: ignore if these sorts of things bother you.. Message-ID: Name: Beth Connell E-mail: soulfire@cgicafe.co, Gender: Female Age: 25 City: Buffalo State/Country: New York (Like Tara Weber said, don't ever come here if you don't have to, and especially don't come here if you don't get into football) Occupation: Barista at Common Grounds Internet Cafe (I make cappuccinos for a living. Ooh.) Three Favorite Bands: 1. TMBG (only 3) 2. The Connells 3. Varies: currently New Order Three Favorite Movies: 1. Rocky Horror Picture Show (only 3) 2. Princess Bride 3. Singing in the Rain Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey (tie) Favorite TV Show: Northern Exposure Favorite TMBG album: Lincoln Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Don't Let's Start Favorite Comic Strip: Bloom County (defunct) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970214202138.006c67f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:21:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded At 07:12 PM 2/14/97 -0500, you wrote: >I only hope Their next album (due out late summer, I >believe) will continue this trend. I, for one, wouldn't >mind seeing a 10 song, 45 min CD, as long as They never >lose Their rockin' stlye. Some people would say that more songs is better, but several bands have put out really good 30 minute albums, and really good albums with only ten songs (Sometimes both). In my opinion, Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. In length it's fairly short, but the "okay" songs outnumber the "good" songs in about a 3:2 ratio. Lincoln is pretty good, cut out (IMO) Santa's Beard and You'll Miss Me (And maybe re-order some of the tracks...) and it would be a great album, perfect length, even though it would only be ~30 minutes. Flood is overall mediocre. There are only a few great songs, the rest are okay. It's a little long, but if you cut out all the okay songs, it would be way too short. Most of the songs on Apollo 18 are good. Take out Mammal, Dig My Grave and you've got another great album. John Henry has hardly any "okay" songs on it. I, personally, would not cut any, it is a good length, even though it would be considered long, time-wise. Factory Showroom. Good album. Not great, but there are no songs that really detract from it. It's a good length. Above when I say songs should be cut, I don't mean abolished altogether, but merely put as b-sides. All of that is my opinion, don't flame me because I don't like your favorite song... Two albums that come to mind as being short, but really good are The Beatles, Revolver and Weezer, Pinkerton. Discuss amongst yourselves... As for TMBG, I would *much* rather see a 30-minute album with ten really good songs, than an hour long one with 18. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:54:33 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Boy Meets World. Message-ID: My family was just watching Boy Meets World, and they said the following lines: "Sparrow sisters, huh? Were they in your mailbox?" I guess something must be an idiom or something involving sparrows and mailbox, but it just reminded me of Letterbox. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:14:56 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Flans vs. Linnell... Message-ID: So, we're on this 'flans vs linnell' argument. I tend to agree with those who are anti-flans bashing. There wouldn't be They Might Be Giants without Flans. They are both wonderful, talented people, whose styles compliment each other perfectly, IMHO. I do admit I like some of Linnell's songs better than Flans occassionally. Flans does pop songs wonderfully. Linnell's songs give me that kind of woogly squishy warm feeling inside, and those are the ones I find myself listening to over and over. Not all the time, however. It does depend on my mood, and yes, there are times Flans's songs are the ones that suit that current mood. I also think a good deal of the reason that I prefer Linnell's songs is due to the huge crush I've had on him for the past 7 years. :) Heck, I even dated a Linnell-alike. Okay, so it was BEFORE I was into TMBG, and he got me into the band, but it counts, right? Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:38:01 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Portland show Message-ID: On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Liam Singer wrote: > So am I going to see any of you at the March 11'th Portland show? Yes. I will be there. I have brown hair and I will be wearing clothes. So will my three friends. Hopefully. Eric Fjellanger ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:41:40 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Then? Message-ID: You mention that your cd skips on your crappy cd player. I had the same problem, but then found out that the fault is more with the cd player than the cd itself- if you put it in a quality unit, it may very well play perfectly. I don't know if this does you any good, however. Eric Fjellanger ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:24:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970214163809_277129130@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Profile Here is my profile, since it seems a lot of people are doing this on the list: Name: Chris Buczek E-mail: Cbuczek@aol.com Gender: Male Age: 16 (in less than 2 months I'll be 17) City: Rome State/Country: NY, USA Occupation: Student (junior in high school) 3 Favourite Bands: 1. The Tragically Hip 2. They Might Be Giants 3. The Rheostatics I don't have three favourite movies, but these are my favourite TV shows: "Kids in the Hall" and "Royal Canadian Air Farce" Favourite TMBG album: Apollo 18 Favourite TMBG song: tie between "I Palindrome I", "Particle Man", and "Istanbul" Web Site: http://members.aol.com/Cbuczek/index.html Thank you. Sincerely, Chris ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:35:06 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >A while back when the movie "That Thing You Do" came out, i remember > >someone making a TMBG connection with the movie because the guy who wrote > >the title song was in a band that opened for Them, something beginning > > Flans... Mike Viola.... Candy Butchers... Correct me If I'm wrong. > Oh, I know who Rolf Conant is, I just thought it was interesting that he was on Apollo 18 too, as I thought it was only a Mono Puff thing :). Hmm...if this is true, then Kurt Loder is wrong (oh, Kurt, you've let me down again!)...I saw that about Adam Schlesinger on MTV News or some other such MTV informative program (uh...that's Singled Out and what? :) ) and our good friend Kurt said that AS did that song...so perhaps he worked with Mike Viola on it...so where have I heard the name Adam Schlesinger before? Oy, this will drive me nuts! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Oh, that's right, Vyvyan. If the mountain won't come to \\ Muhammed, smash the drawing room to pieces. That's very Buddhist, isn't it?" -Rik, "Nasty," _The Young Ones_ They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215000444.006c4f38@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:04:47 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Profile At 10:24 PM 2/14/97 -0500, Cbuczek@aol.com wrote: >Here is my profile, since it seems a lot of people are doing this on the >list: The way you say it it sounds like a trading card or something... hehe... TMBG-LIST trading cards... wheeee! I'm up *way* too late. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215000642.006c3a9c@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:06:44 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger >Oh, I know who Rolf Conant is, I just thought it was interesting that he >was on Apollo 18 too, as I thought it was only a Mono Puff thing :). How long has he used that name? Anyone know? n54w;btgfrgtemr maeslruaw -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:53:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215005346_1895700644@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded In a message dated 2/14/1997 8:25:40 PM, chakroff wrote: >Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. Whats Truth or Sandwiches? Is that their first album? I know that's one of the signs on the cover of the 1st album. ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:01:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215010140_-2110569293@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The Real FCC Scoop (you've been hoaxed) In a message dated 97-02-14 16:01:49 EST, sean@starlight.epal.com (Sean Gugler) writes: << ------- Start of forwarded message ------- Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:47:37 -0800 Reply-To: TOURBUS-Request@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Sender: The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace Subject: TOURBUS -- 13 FEBRUARY 1997 -- EDUPAGE / FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC ... I have a sinking feeling that a few of you may want to forward part of today's post to some of your friends. I would be happy if you did this -- just make sure that you give credit where credit is due. :) ... the TOURBUS archives ... can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.worldvillage.com/wv/hotel/tourbus/archives.htm). ... FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC ---------------------------- Over the past couple of weeks, you may have received e-mail letters telling you that Many local telephone companies have filed a proposal with the FCC [The United States' Federal Communications Commission] to impose per minute charges for Internet service. They contend that use of Internet has or will hinder the operation of the telephone network. At first, I thought that this was simply a new version of the old "modem tax" hoax (http://www.eff.org/papers/eegtti/eeg_83.html#SEC84) that has been floating around the Net since *1987*. After all, the current FCC story has all of the markings of a classic urban legend: 1. It uses official-looking language; 2. It mentions a government agency or an organization with which everyone is familiar; 3. It contains a plea for you to take some sort of immediate action; and 4. It requests that you forward the warning letter to as many people as possible. Besides, according to an article that appeared in this morning's Edupage, ONLINE COMPANIES ASK TELCOS, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" Tired of telephone companies' complaints that Internet usage is overwhelming their network capacity, the Internet Access Coalition has released findings contending that Net usage is, in reality, a bonanza for the Bells. The study found that local carriers received a total of $1.4 billion in 1995 in revenues resulting from the installation of second lines in homes, while spending only $245 million to beef up their networks for the additional usage. A Bell Atlantic spokesman says the real problem is that the telcos have no idea when a line will be used for data rather than voice, and thus tied up longer. Both sides agree that the ultimate solution is higher capacity networks. (Business Week 17 Feb 97) Well, out of curiosity -- and out of a deep-felt desire to avoid studying for the two major economics tests that I have next week -- your fearless bus driver decided to call the FCC in Washington to see if anyone there was willing to talk about this rather explosive issue. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that the FCC only has one employee, she is a secretary, and her job is to transfer all incoming telephone calls into voice mail hell. :) Actually, I talked to some nice people at the FCC who faxed me a 10 page explanation of what's *really* going on. Unfortunately, the 10 page explanation was written in "FCC-ese," so I am going to have to translate their explanation into English for you (and I can assure you that, since I know *NOTHING* about telephony, my translation will probably contain a few inaccuracies; if it does, please let me know). First, some local telephone companies have indeed asked the FCC to allow them to assess a per minute access charge on the telephone lines used by Internet Service Providers. Local telephone companies currently charge long-distance carriers (like AT&T and MCI) an interstate access charge for the long-distance traffic that travels over their local lines, and the local telephone companies would like to see this charge extended to include the high-speed lines that your local Internet Service Provider uses to access the Internet. In December, the FCC rejected the telephone companies' request and tentatively concluded "that the existing pricing structure for information services should remain in place." In other words, the FCC has tentatively concluded that Internet service providers should *NOT* be subject to the interstate access charges that local telephone companies currently assess on long-distance carriers. The FCC now seeks the public's comments on this conclusion. Unfortunately, the "warning" letter that is currently circulating around the Internet gives the impression that some sort of sinister operation is afoot here, that the FCC and the telephone companies are trying to sneak this proposal through without anyone noticing, and that it is up to each and every one of us to stop the evil FCC. What garbage. In fact, the FCC has, at least tentatively, REJECTED the telephone companies' proposal. The FCC is now simply asking you if you agree or disagree with their decision. The most disappointing aspect of this whole situation is that because of the misinformation that has been distributed across the Internet over the past couple of weeks, the FCC has received 100,000+ e-mail letters, most of which flame them for making a decision that EVERYONE AGREES WITH! Hands down, the flaming of the FCC is one of the Internet's most shameful acts ever. I also discovered another thing about the FCC that increased my respect for their organization one-hundred-fold. Part of the 10 page explanation that the FCC sent me states that their "existing rules have been designed for traditional circuit-switched voice networks, and thus may hinder the development of emerging packet-switched data networks." Because of this, the FCC is also seeking the public's comments on the implications of the Internet and its usage through the public switched telephone network. Folks, *ANY* government agency that stops and says 'hey, we can ALWAYS use some more information so that we are better prepared for whatever happens in the future' has earned my respect and admiration. By the way, most of the information that I have shared with you today can be found on the FCC's "ISP" homepage at http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html If you would like to send your comments to the folks at the FCC (the deadline for comments about their decision not to impose interstate access changes on Internet service providers is Friday, February 14th), make sure that you check the FCC's ISP Web page first. At the bottom of this page are some pretty specific instructions on what you need to put in the subject line of you e-mail letter before you submit it to the FCC. Personally, I'm going to leave the poor folks at the FCC alone for a while. They seem to be doing a great job in the face of unnecessary (and misinformed) opposition. ... ====================================================================== Join : Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Leave : Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Info : On the Web at http://www.worldvillage.com/tourbus.htm Advertising: E-mail BobRankin@MHV.net w/ Subject: SEND TBRATES =--------------------------------------------------------------------= For info on my new book "Atlas for the Information Superhighway" send an e-mail letter to LISTSERV@UA1VM.UA.EDU that says GET ATLAS INFO F=MAIL in the body of your e-mail letter ====================================================================== TOURBUS - (c) Copyright 1997, Patrick Crispen and Bob Rankin All rights reserved. Redistribution is allowed only with permission. Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to get on the Bus! (\__/) .~ ~. )) /O O ./ .' Patrick Douglas Crispen {O__, \ { The University of Alabama / . . ) \ crispen@campus.mci.net |-| '-' \ } http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/ .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _& Warning: squirrels. ------- End of forwarded message ------- >> --------------------- Forwarded message: From: sean@starlight.epal.com (Sean Gugler) Sender: owner-nwm-open@bach.cnation.com Reply-to: sean@smos.com (Sean Gugler) To: nwm-open@cnation.com Date: 97-02-14 16:01:49 EST ------- Start of forwarded message ------- Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:47:37 -0800 Reply-To: TOURBUS-Request@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Sender: The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace Subject: TOURBUS -- 13 FEBRUARY 1997 -- EDUPAGE / FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC ... I have a sinking feeling that a few of you may want to forward part of today's post to some of your friends. I would be happy if you did this -- just make sure that you give credit where credit is due. :) ... the TOURBUS archives ... can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.worldvillage.com/wv/hotel/tourbus/archives.htm). ... FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC ---------------------------- Over the past couple of weeks, you may have received e-mail letters telling you that Many local telephone companies have filed a proposal with the FCC [The United States' Federal Communications Commission] to impose per minute charges for Internet service. They contend that use of Internet has or will hinder the operation of the telephone network. At first, I thought that this was simply a new version of the old "modem tax" hoax (http://www.eff.org/papers/eegtti/eeg_83.html#SEC84) that has been floating around the Net since *1987*. After all, the current FCC story has all of the markings of a classic urban legend: 1. It uses official-looking language; 2. It mentions a government agency or an organization with which everyone is familiar; 3. It contains a plea for you to take some sort of immediate action; and 4. It requests that you forward the warning letter to as many people as possible. Besides, according to an article that appeared in this morning's Edupage, ONLINE COMPANIES ASK TELCOS, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" Tired of telephone companies' complaints that Internet usage is overwhelming their network capacity, the Internet Access Coalition has released findings contending that Net usage is, in reality, a bonanza for the Bells. The study found that local carriers received a total of $1.4 billion in 1995 in revenues resulting from the installation of second lines in homes, while spending only $245 million to beef up their networks for the additional usage. A Bell Atlantic spokesman says the real problem is that the telcos have no idea when a line will be used for data rather than voice, and thus tied up longer. Both sides agree that the ultimate solution is higher capacity networks. (Business Week 17 Feb 97) Well, out of curiosity -- and out of a deep-felt desire to avoid studying for the two major economics tests that I have next week -- your fearless bus driver decided to call the FCC in Washington to see if anyone there was willing to talk about this rather explosive issue. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that the FCC only has one employee, she is a secretary, and her job is to transfer all incoming telephone calls into voice mail hell. :) Actually, I talked to some nice people at the FCC who faxed me a 10 page explanation of what's *really* going on. Unfortunately, the 10 page explanation was written in "FCC-ese," so I am going to have to translate their explanation into English for you (and I can assure you that, since I know *NOTHING* about telephony, my translation will probably contain a few inaccuracies; if it does, please let me know). First, some local telephone companies have indeed asked the FCC to allow them to assess a per minute access charge on the telephone lines used by Internet Service Providers. Local telephone companies currently charge long-distance carriers (like AT&T and MCI) an interstate access charge for the long-distance traffic that travels over their local lines, and the local telephone companies would like to see this charge extended to include the high-speed lines that your local Internet Service Provider uses to access the Internet. In December, the FCC rejected the telephone companies' request and tentatively concluded "that the existing pricing structure for information services should remain in place." In other words, the FCC has tentatively concluded that Internet service providers should *NOT* be subject to the interstate access charges that local telephone companies currently assess on long-distance carriers. The FCC now seeks the public's comments on this conclusion. Unfortunately, the "warning" letter that is currently circulating around the Internet gives the impression that some sort of sinister operation is afoot here, that the FCC and the telephone companies are trying to sneak this proposal through without anyone noticing, and that it is up to each and every one of us to stop the evil FCC. What garbage. In fact, the FCC has, at least tentatively, REJECTED the telephone companies' proposal. The FCC is now simply asking you if you agree or disagree with their decision. The most disappointing aspect of this whole situation is that because of the misinformation that has been distributed across the Internet over the past couple of weeks, the FCC has received 100,000+ e-mail letters, most of which flame them for making a decision that EVERYONE AGREES WITH! Hands down, the flaming of the FCC is one of the Internet's most shameful acts ever. I also discovered another thing about the FCC that increased my respect for their organization one-hundred-fold. Part of the 10 page explanation that the FCC sent me states that their "existing rules have been designed for traditional circuit-switched voice networks, and thus may hinder the development of emerging packet-switched data networks." Because of this, the FCC is also seeking the public's comments on the implications of the Internet and its usage through the public switched telephone network. Folks, *ANY* government agency that stops and says 'hey, we can ALWAYS use some more information so that we are better prepared for whatever happens in the future' has earned my respect and admiration. By the way, most of the information that I have shared with you today can be found on the FCC's "ISP" homepage at http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html If you would like to send your comments to the folks at the FCC (the deadline for comments about their decision not to impose interstate access changes on Internet service providers is Friday, February 14th), make sure that you check the FCC's ISP Web page first. At the bottom of this page are some pretty specific instructions on what you need to put in the subject line of you e-mail letter before you submit it to the FCC. Personally, I'm going to leave the poor folks at the FCC alone for a while. They seem to be doing a great job in the face of unnecessary (and misinformed) opposition. ... ====================================================================== Join : Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Leave : Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Info : On the Web at http://www.worldvillage.com/tourbus.htm Advertising: E-mail BobRankin@MHV.net w/ Subject: SEND TBRATES =--------------------------------------------------------------------= For info on my new book "Atlas for the Information Superhighway" send an e-mail letter to LISTSERV@UA1VM.UA.EDU that says GET ATLAS INFO F=MAIL in the body of your e-mail letter ====================================================================== TOURBUS - (c) Copyright 1997, Patrick Crispen and Bob Rankin All rights reserved. Redistribution is allowed only with permission. Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to get on the Bus! (\__/) .~ ~. )) /O O ./ .' Patrick Douglas Crispen {O__, \ { The University of Alabama / . . ) \ crispen@campus.mci.net |-| '-' \ } http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/ .( _( )_.' '---.~_ _ _& Warning: squirrels. ------- End of forwarded message ------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702150613.AAA21333@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Profile Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:07:47 -0600 ---------- > From: Evan Chakroff > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Profile > Date: Friday, February 14, 1997 11:04 PM > > At 10:24 PM 2/14/97 -0500, Cbuczek@aol.com wrote: > >Here is my profile, since it seems a lot of people are doing this on the > >list: > > The way you say it it sounds like a trading card or something... hehe... > TMBG-LIST trading cards... wheeee! I'm up *way* too late. > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org ooooh... Official Trading Cards of They Might Be Giants.. "I'll trade you my NightVision Linnell for your Swamp Mutant Brian Dewan.." Mike "TMBG HoloGram Cards, Series II" Leffel hehehehehehehehehehehehe.... here I go... Here are the cards I'm willing to trade my extras for... #155 TMBG Dial-A-Song (sticker) #23 AntiMoshing They #167 Backstage Bitchin' Flans #92 Accordian Melee # 02 S.W.A.T. team Jamie Lincoln Kitman #100 Don't Lets Sticker (alternate version) #52 Yum Yum Coffee Time #11 Where Be The Puppet Heads? #03 Jay Sherman Godfrey, The Great #44 They Might Be Giants (group photo 7) #81 They Might Be Giants (group photo 15) #70 Nuclear Brian Doherty vs. The Rabid Fans Of The Northeast ..and Puzzle Cards, numbers 5, 11, 3, 2. Please, only mint/near mint condition. No bent corners. Mike "TMBG - Then: The Early Years Chromium Set has been held back until May 1st, 1997. Thank You." Leffel ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:05:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215010537_1113687734@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMG In a message dated 97-02-14 16:22:08 EST, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: << I really don't want to think about what the implications of a song called S-E-X-X-X-Y would be... :) >> It's "X-X-X...because it's triple-X-rated baby. Why? Because it's extra baby." your friend with the retractable halo, Joseph ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:19:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215011911_42791004@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Then; spam (?) >If nothing else, you get to hear 3 albums compressed into >about 1 1/2 CDs so it's gotta be an interesting mix of TMBG >right into Lincoln right into Misc T, don't have to flip discs! I didn't even think of this... It'll be like a cd changer for those of us suffering without one! ;D Hee hee.. > MONK GLOATS OVER YOGA CHAMPIONSHIP <> Can someone explain to me what on earth this was about, why it was sent to the list, and why I ought to care? sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33055995.4C78@toothfairy.com> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:37:09 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded > >Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. > > Whats Truth or Sandwiches? Is that their first album? I know that's one of > the signs on the cover of the 1st album. I would also like to know what Truth or Sandwitches is. -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected Message-ID: <19970214.221453.4615.2.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:59:15 EST Again, please join in my crusade to videotape instores!!! You can watch it over and over, and you will receive many trades from anxious bootleggers like me. Larry "I use antlers in all of my decorating." - Gaston, "Beauty and the Beast" http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33055F09.4A7D@toothfairy.com> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:00:25 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: Re: Long Winded > I only hope Their next album (due out late summer, I > believe) will continue this trend. I, for one, wouldn't > mind seeing a 10 song, 45 min CD, as long as They never > lose Their rockin' stlye. I think that all of the albums that have shorter songs but longer times are better. It seems that Factory Showroom, having fewer songs, just comes off as being less original to me. Im not saying that it is, that is just the feeling I get. Actually, FS is prolly the most imaginative, but I really like shorter songs. Take for example "The Statue Got Me High." I really like this song. But I think it is way too long, you see, it just seems like Linnell keeps singing the part "And what they found was just a statue standing where the statue where the statue got me high" over and over again. I think this song would be much better if it were shorter and it would be less repetitive too. If you want to hear Linnnell singing the same part over and over again, listen to the song again. And also, I miss some of the little short songs They used to have on old albums, like "Toddler Highway" "Spider" "Dig my Grave" "Minimum Wage" etc. I guess I can always resort to Dial-A-Song for those though. I still will always follow Them devotedly even if They released a 60 minute long CD with only one song. CD's I listen to now: All TMBG albums, Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon, Wally Pleasant- Houses of the Holy Moly, Dune soundtrack, Final Fantasy IV Celtic Moon, The Cure- Greatest hits. I need more CD's. -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-45 *****************************