Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-46 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 46 Sunday, 16 February 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: long-winded Re: TMBG: The Real FCC Scoop (you've been hoaxed) TMBG: Re: Unforgotten/Petname TMBG: Look for Linus Flans Songs / other non-TMBG: stuff TMBG: How can I get a set list? TMBG: TMBG QUIZ to get accepted TMBG: 2/21 sold out!!! TMBG: DAS On-Line TMBG: Ugly rumor time Re: TMBG: DAS On-Line TMBG: Truth Or Sandwiches Re: TMBG: Re: Long Winded TMBG: Irving Plaza? TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: Similar Sounds and Irving Plaza Rides Re: TMBG: Ugly rumor time Re: TMBG: Similar Sounds and Irving Plaza Rides Re: TMBG: How can I get a set list? Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: long-winded TMBG: How can I get a set list? Re: TMBG: long-winded TMBG: Unsupervised question TMBG: ordering info TMBG: 2/21 foolishness TMBG: Valentine's Day Show!!! Re: TMBG: long-winded Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: I Am Not Your Broom Live Perfomance! Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: I Am Not Your Broom TMBG: Trade Proposal! Re: TMBG: 2/21 foolishness Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: a humble request Re: TMBG: How can I get a set list? TMBG: Survey update Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected TMBG: Pre-OMLT TMBG: Re: a humble request Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT TMBG: here we go...IRVING PLAZA 2/14 Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT TMBG: Re: long-winded Re: TMBG: here we go...IRVING PLAZA 2/14 TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!! Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT Re: TMBG: Then; spam (?) Re: TMBG: Hidden tracks Re: TMBG: CD data section? Re: TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!! TMBG: Long Winded / Pre OMLT / Trading cards TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM Re: TMBG: Unsupervised question Re: TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!!-- Oops! TMBG: Enhanced CDs Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM TMBG: long-winded Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM Re: TMBG: Valentine's Day Show!!! Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:48:08 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded Message-id: As would I. On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > >Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. > > > > Whats Truth or Sandwiches? Is that their first album? I know that's one of > > the signs on the cover of the 1st album. > I would also like to know what Truth or Sandwitches is. > -- > +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ > | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | > | loony and not be aware of it?" | > | --Calvin | > +---------------------------------------------------------------+ > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:47:27 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Real FCC Scoop (you've been hoaxed) Message-ID: <19970215.025157.3574.19.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) gah..that was really long... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:33:53 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Re: Unforgotten/Petname Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Amy ;) wrote: > I just realized something the other day. Unforgotten, on the SEXXY > single, and Pet Name on Factory Showroom sound surprisingly similar. TMBG I totally agree with you! Although, they do sound similar, I woulnd't say alike...I think that its because they are both really mellow songs and make me think of some kind of weird pop-lounge music. I mean, comparted with most of Their other stuff, those two songs are super mellow, not saying that all of what they play is fast and poppy-rock, but this pays a lot of attention to a slow beat and a nice bass line (I can't quote all of that music lingo as I couldn't play an instrument to save my life...) I love both songs, but I didn't really like Pet Name when I first heard it, and then it grew on me, but Unforgotten remained, well, unforgotten to me for the rest of the day that I first heard it. Oh, yeah, I'm twenty years old, three months and one day old. _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Oh, that's right, Vyvyan. If the mountain won't come to \\ Muhammed, smash the drawing room to pieces. That's very Buddhist, isn't it?" -Rik, "Nasty," _The Young Ones_ They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:11:59 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Look for Linus Message-ID: Hey/hay, Since I'm not going to be able to go to the Ypsi show next week, my friend Rick has to go by himself, and I don't think he's too happy about it. So if any of you see a 6-1 boy with big brown eyes, short and sloppy looking hair, maybe a hat, and most likely dressed in a fairly unorthodox manner (the last two times I saw him- the first time he was wearing all plaids, from his tie to his socks, and the last time he was wearing four different shades of purple shirts, a purple jacket, and a long, quilted, purple skirt. He doesn't normally wear skirts, but he decided to last Saturday. I would really not like to start another thread in which the homophobes on the list express their prejudices, okay?), please be kind to him! Tell hiom you're from the List that Elitza is on and he'll probably be nice to you. Be forewarned, though: He is 18, almost 19, and a genius. Don't feel put out if he starts talking about Oriental vs. Eastern, or whatever. He also has a scary sense of humor. ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Flans Songs / other non-TMBG: stuff Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 07:19:52 -0600 Message-ID: <19970215131950841.AAA338@ppp179.baraboo.com> Ok, first, most poeple are saying (as was i thinking, in my constant attempts to post but decide not to) but i thinkn there is a few exceptions. Heres one: Reprehensible. That song (i'm assuming flas wrote/sang it) is just amazing IMO and is probably my favorite song. Everything about it... Great lyrics, lots of lyrics (not repetetive), and the clarinet! and everything.. i dunno, that song just rocks. So flans can do some pretty COOL stuff!!! Oh yeah, truth or sandwiches is the pink album, the big blue god album, or any other name you can give to the self-titled album. non-tmbg-but-tnbg-list-stuff I've been considering leaving the list. or just switching to digest. Please, could some people try a few things? first, some poeple have 23 line .sigs, which is nearly a full screen (2 lines short) for me. that is just plain annoying. Can we try to limit it to about 7-10?? PLEASE! and poeple have been sppamming a bit, like the VERY annoting monk thing or whatever. The FCC thing i dont mind because i care about that and probaboy wouldnt have known. But stupid entirely-unrelated to anything stuff is very annoying. And another thing, all the rather new people, read the FAQ!!! GO TO TMBG.ORG!! like who wanted to know what the spiralling shape lyric came from. That is kind oof obvious that that would be a chourus to a song called Spiralling shape, and they could know that exitseted by searching the lyrics archive. That I didn't mind, but just cant think of an example because i slept in and cant remember stuff very much when i wake up past 6:00. BTW, the faq's adress shouldnt be too hard to find of tmbg.org.... Wyatt, who's thinking "could we have a quiz you have to pass to get on the list???? of basic TMBG-knowlege?? probably not.... oh well" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:18:45 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: How can I get a set list? Message-ID: The last time I went to a TMBG concert, I really wanted a setlist, but I had no idea how to get one. I don't want to make the same mistake again. Any suggestions on the best way to get one? Joe ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:52:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215095211_1862178195@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG QUIZ to get accepted << Wyatt, who's thinking "could we have a quiz you have to pass to get on the list???? of basic TMBG-knowlege?? probably not.... oh well" >> IMHO, that would not be too good an idea, because this list is for people to discuss and learn about them. When I first bought Flood, I loved it so much that I went to all TMBG sites, and whatever. I joined the list to find other TMBG fans. At that point I knew ZIP about Them. All I knew about was Flood. I didn't even know who was in the band, other albums/songs, etc.. This list has educated me about Them and about many other things. This list is almost like a second home to me. When I come home from school, the first thing I do is get on AOL (very hard process) and get my email. The first things I read are from this list. I leave other mail including my girlfriend's for later! I have made many good friends from this list. I would not have been able to do so if I were not permitted on, because I didn't have any TMBG knowledge when I began. Therefore, I don't think that people should be excluded because they might not know much, but rather an ettiquitte (sp?) test. There's my 2c. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 14yr and 12 days Going to 2/21 IP ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:39:05 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <3305D899.172C@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: 2/21 sold out!!! the tickets for the 2/21 show are sold out. sorry. -- Brian B. (Faboo23) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:03:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215110321_1049496999@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS On-Line TMBG.com still has Nixon's the One up for DAS. Are they falling behind in only their 3rd week? Joel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3305FCBC.148F@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:13:16 -0800 From: Malachi Constant Organization: Church of God the Utterly Indifferent Subject: TMBG: Ugly rumor time And I really want to hear this one disproven/dismissed: One of my best friends was at the Jan. 3rd show in St Louis and swears that both Johns were wearing engagement rings. Is she hallucinating? On to the music: For awhile I've really been wondering about the hidden track on FS. What is it? What's it about? Where'd it come from (is it a DAS?) Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215163225.0068a8b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:32:25 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS On-Line Check back tonight. IIRC, Nixon's The One was put up last Sat. night... TTYL, -Adam Tyner At 11:03 AM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >TMBG.com still has Nixon's the One up for DAS. Are they falling behind in >only their 3rd week? > >Joel > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215115459.0068d104@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:55:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Truth Or Sandwiches Is another name some people have adopted for They Might Be Giants (The album, not the cereal) Some other such names are: The Pink Album The Big Blue Dog Album Almost Yours Rental World (hehe) The theory behind some of these is: "Well, It says 'Truth or Sandwiches' on the cover, so that's the title, right?" Also, the back cover and sky on the front are pink, and J&J are riding a big blue dog. My most valuable TMBG Cards: "'Devil Went Down to Newport' Flansburgh" "Limited Edition 'Tiny Toons' Flansburgh" "Limited Edition 'Tiny Toons' Linnell" and Very rare XXX card... "Elekra Execs F**k Them Over" -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215120104.006c42d4@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:01:06 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Long Winded >I still will always follow Them devotedly even if They released a 60 >minute long CD with only one song. They could do a "Sounds of Nature" CD and that would come true. Actually, it would be neat to hear J&J doing Whale Songs... hehehe.... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:17:24 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza? The show happened, right? Any details? Set lists? Comments? I'm anxious to find out what old stuff they played with the horns and stuff, along with all the new songs they were supposedly going to try to play... or was it *all* new songs? I would suspect that they can't make an entire show just out of new material... not to mention the fact that they "have to play" Birdhouse, Istanbul, the Guitar, and S-E-X-X-Y. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:25:10 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Message-id: <01IFG0CYVLI2CCNP76@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! Last night's show was amazing, a wonderful Valentine's day treat! =) And, to make the night even *better*, They played I AM NOT YOUR BROOM!!!!! I arrived early and was first in line. Brian Dewan and Magnetic Fields opened....Brian was great, but by the time Magnetic Fields hit the stage, everyone was incredibly antsy to see TMBG! TMBG were, of course, wonderful, They played a great set! Although They actually didn't play any songs that we haven't actually heard already, They did play bunches of new rarely heard songs! Some of my personal favorites were: I Am Not Your Broom, Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Certain People, Spiralling Shape, Reprehensible, Counterfeit Faker, and many more I can't remember right now! They also played bunches of favorites: Shoehorn With Teeth, They brought out the STICK for Lie Still, Little Bottle!, and Purple Toupee!!! John and John seemed to be in happy happy spirits (as were the rest of us!), and They even fired the 'They Might Be Giants Love Cannon!' =) My pictures are being developed as we speak, and I'll post them for all to see on my page this coming week! =) Also, I made a great recording of this show if anyone is interested in trading! =) Another highlight of the trip was getting to meet YOU!!! I met Dan (E. Boy), Jordan, and Josh for the first time, they were incredibly nice. I would also like to thank Liz for her incredibly kindness, hospitality, and use of her apartment! Thanks Liz! Oh, I almost forgot - I was lucky enough to get Linnell's copy of the I AM NOT YOUR BROOM lyrics, neato! We also got to chat with Jim O'Connor, Dan Levine, Brian Dewan, and Graham Maby after the show, they were all incredibly nice! =) That's about all I can write for now, I'm incredibly sleepy! However, I am greatly looking forward to seeing Them (and all the listies!) at next week's show! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3305F99C.73FD@trib.infi.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:59:56 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Similar Sounds and Irving Plaza Rides "Amy ;)" wrote: > I just realized something the other day. Unforgotten, on the SEXXY > single, and Pet Name on Factory Showroom sound surprisingly similar. TMBG > songs are usually so different that I can't really think of any other two > songs that sound as alike as these two. Well, I remember pointing out the similarities between Sensurround and Til My head falls off, and Dig My Grave vs. Stompbox, so some of their songs rrecycle musical ideas. Personally I belive that is why Sensurround and Unforgotten are besides, because they both sound like songs on the full lenght album!! Also that Mr. Horrible Foo Guy asked about rides to the 2/21 show at Irving PLaza, Well, my friend a ride to a sold out show is hardly anything to search for!! Sincerely, Boba, that guy with the messed up face :W ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ugly rumor time Message-ID: <19970215.131006.3582.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:10:18 EST On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:13:16 -0800 Malachi Constant writes: >And I really want to hear this one disproven/dismissed: > >One of my best friends was at the Jan. 3rd show in St Louis and swears > >that both Johns were wearing engagement rings. Is she hallucinating? First of all, John Flansburgh is married, so he would've been wearing a wedding ring, and secondly, if Linnell was engaged, wouldn't his girlfriend (fiancee) be the one wearing the engagement ring? >On to the music: For awhile I've really been wondering about the >hidden >track on FS. What is it? What's it about? Where'd it come from (is >it >a DAS?) Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. It's called Token Back to Brooklyn. If you put the CD in, you have to go back before the first song. Some CD players will not work this way. Jen ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215181958.00674af0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:19:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Similar Sounds and Irving Plaza Rides At 12:59 PM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Well, I remember pointing out the similarities between Sensurround and >Til My head falls off, and Dig My Grave vs. Stompbox, so some of their >songs rrecycle musical ideas. Personally I belive that is why >Sensurround and Unforgotten are besides, because they both sound like >songs on the full lenght album!! I remember reading an interview somewhere where one of the Johns said that's why SenSurround wasn't on Factory Showroom. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:31:50 -0600 (CST) From: NETANYAHU BENJAMIN Subject: Re: TMBG: How can I get a set list? Message-Id: in my experience getting three set lists, persistence is the key. you HAVE TO make friends with the security guys, and assuming you're in the front row, that shouldn't be hard. tell them you NEED a list, like you're gonna die without one. smile a lot too. inbetween the encores, remind them about the list. i've also noticed that they seem to prefer girls to give lists too, so if you can find one to do your dirty work, you're golden. this also worked to get back stage on one occasion. finally, if you're really in for the goods, give Brian Doherty a thumbs up whenever possible (especially when he plays the glokenspiel) and you might get a kiss and a drum stick like i did. woopee! ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ "I didn't ask for whom the bell tolled, I just went ahead and tolled it." -- Cher, Clueless Jillian A'Lee Buser woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb Environmental Studies/Urban Planning The University of Kansas ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215133133.006c7258@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:31:36 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! At 12:25 PM 2/15/97 -0400, CORT wrote: >They did play bunches of new rarely heard songs! Some of my personal >favorites were: I Am Not Your Broom, Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Certain >People, Spiralling Shape, Reprehensible, Counterfeit Faker, and many more Does this mean we can expect Rat Patrol, On The Drag, Certain People, Reprehensible, (and Older?) on the upcoming unnamed new album? I woulnd't expect IANYB to be on an album, but you never know :) I haven't heard any of these new songs, (except Reprehensibe (d/l from Mr Flippy's a long time ago) and older (in concert), so if anyone has .wav files of these could you tell me? Would They got Lost be a possibility for the new album? What about the proposed New Version of She's Actual Size? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702151832.AA14361@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: long-winded Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:32:42 -0500 (EST) Hello, > Does anyone think that They might be getting better at > creating longer, more lyrical songs? Since I recently > completed my collection of They albums, I noticed how > the length of Their last 2 albums has greatly increased, > meaning length per song. But not only has the song > length risen, but so has the quality of the songs. Well I don't know exactly what you mean by "so has the quality of the songs", but my guess is that you like the newer TMBG much more than the older music, so therefore the Pink album is the most inferior album and Factory Showroom is the best album. I don't really agree with this at all, especally since my favorite album, Apollo 18 has 38 songs and is the 4th oldest! Even if you don't put in the fingertips there's still more than FS. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I think I'd rather have an album with upwards of 20 or more songs as has been the trend up to FS. Now I'm not saying that an album with a few as 13 or less songs would be bad, indeed it could be great and they could prove me wrong but looking back at past albums we have: self-titled: 19 songs, somewhat "rough", but amazingly great songs. Probably my second favorite album. As shown on a survey from this list, She's An Angel was the all-out winner of the list members (at that time) choice for best TMBG song. Not my #1 favorite song but up there for sure. Lincoln: little better but still the Bar None/Restless/drum machine era where they might not have been quite as "crisp" as later albums possibly. As shown by the list members again, I believe that this was voted the best album by a majority of listies. This album tends to swing from 2-4 position of my favorite albums (John Henry and Pink also), but you can't ignore the fantastic songs on here (singles and otherwise) and just the purely "weird, yet highly interesting" tracks. Flood: Often this album has been overplayed by listies but there is always that novelty of being many people's first TMBG album, and how they first heard it on Tiny Toons or whatnot (I had not, but I still tend to feel a little nostalgic listening to this first Elektra album which really broke them onto the scene. Again, like Lincoln, a pretty large amount of tracks. Apollo 18: Well, just my favorite album, and quite a few other people's favs. This album flows really well but also many songs stand alone by them selves brilliantly. With 38 tracks, this is maybe the Cd with the largest number of tracks that I own. John Henry: Here we get the full band sound. It really seems like this was produced well and delivered well. Definitely not the "rough" days of the self-titled album, yet it has 20 songs and is over 57 minutes long. I really enjoyed how they put so many songs on here and that they were good songs for the most part. It's sort of that marathon album that you just love to listen to while doing whatever. This album realy does have a "feel" to it that I can't quite place, but it's wonderful. A good amount of these songs can be played live very well, because it was recorded with the full band and is easily accessible to a concert setting. Factory Showroom: Less amount of songs, longer length of each song. While they did sneak in Token Back to Brooklyn, I doubt the average listener even knows about it, but definitely one of the older, wackier songs. Exquisite Dead Guy probably gives this same feeling, too. I think I may have gotten used to the 18+ songs on albums so it does seem to end shorter even with the extra length of songs. I'm sure this is some sort of nagging, subconscious bug within some of us. I really do like a lot of songs off of here, but I don't know if I can honestly say that I really don't like 2 songs off of a TMBG album as with Factory Showroom: XTC vs Adam Ant and SEXXY. I guess I like them a little bit, but the rest are vastly superior. So now we are down to 11 songs. Another thing about FS is that is definitely has a different feel than any other album. With those 2 songs, Pet Name, New York City, and 1 or 2 other songs, they seem to be the "new" TMBG. Maybe I'm just going crazy. But, whether you are looking for that strange beautiful sound of the self-titled, the smoothness and excellence of Apollo 18, or the wonderful feel and nice live sound to John Henry, like me, then you mght not find this so much in Factory Showroom. Well that's my schpeel, and no I won't stop listening to Factory Showroom, I do enjoy it quite a bit. > - Pink (19 songs, 38:38 length) > - Lincoln (18 songs, 39:39 length) > - Flood (19 songs, 43:23 length) > - Apollo 18 (18 songs, 43:17 length) > - John Henry (20 songs, 57:16 length) > - Factory Showroom (13 songs, 42:39 length) Ok, sorry for the ultra-long post there! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702151843.AA14374@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: How can I get a set list? Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:43:22 -0500 (EST) > The last time I went to a TMBG concert, I really wanted a setlist, but I > had no idea how to get one. I don't want to make the same mistake > again. Any suggestions on the best way to get one? Offer to have sex with the bouncer. ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:49:07 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded Message-ID: > On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > > > >Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. > > > > > > Whats Truth or Sandwiches? Is that their first album? I know that's one of > > > the signs on the cover of the 1st album. > > I would also like to know what Truth or Sandwitches is. It's just one of the many names you can adopt in referring to the self-titled debut album, based on the stuff on the cover. I rather like Dreams Realized Teen Shop, myself. Either that or the Big-Ass Walking Beer Album. Likin' this trading card thing ("anybody want my Eric Plays Yet Another Overblown Guitar Solo card?......anybody??"), --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215190910.00679098@mail.awod.com> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:09:10 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Unsupervised question On my copy of Mono Puff: Unsupervised, there are white circles around The Devil Went Down To Newport and Nixon's The One. Does this mean anything? Just wondering, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:11:28 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215141127_1581217508@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ordering info Does anyone know who to order stuff like shirts, ect. Because when i went to TMBG.com, there was no order form. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215192521.006aea4c@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:25:21 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: TMBG: 2/21 foolishness What is this jabber that the 21st show is sold out? I hope this isn't true. If it is, i have to make all new plans for next weekend...bummer. But if it is sold out, anyone who is prospecting to make a tape, i'd like a copy. :) Zink Unlurking after all this time... * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:24:42 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Valentine's Day Show!!! Message-id: <01IFG50R6TLYCCNKA4@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's!!! I almost forgot to tell you! Last night's show started off with Linnell doing the supercool "Critic Intro!!!" (By the way, this will appear as a track on Then: They Early Years!) I made a great recording of the Critic Intro, I Am Not Your Broom, and the rest of the show (of course!), so if anyone is interested in trading, let me know! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215195047.00667984@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:50:47 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: long-winded At 01:32 PM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote: > >I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I think I'd rather have an album >with upwards of 20 or more songs as has been the trend up to FS. Now I definitely agree. I'd rather have an album with 20 songs of perfect length that has maybe 2 or 3 songs I'm not crazy about than to have one with 13 that are kind of long that has maybe 2 or 3 songs I'm not crazy about. Case in point: Spiralling Shape. I *love* this song, but I feel like it's never going to end! Anyway...ttyl, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33061597.2084B1A1@cadvision.com> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:59:19 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Evan Chakroff wrote: > I woulnd't expect IANYB to be on an album, but you never know :) It could work as a secret track, like Token Back to Brooklyn on FS. -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/1641/ -- Temporarily down! ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:09:19 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BRO.. by David Bryan@cadvision.co > It could work as a secret track, like Token Back to Brooklyn on FS. Could... I think it loses something, though, without the visual effects. Maybe they'll put the movie of it on a data portion of the CD... that would certainly be cool. Which reminds me - how exactly was it performed at the concert? Was there an actual broom or did they just sing it? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:22:06 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: I Am Not Your Broom Live Perfomance! Message-id: <01IFG6Y84YDECCNQFX@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! For those of you who were curious as to how TMBG performed I Am Not Your Broom at last night's show: The spotlight would shine directly on Linnell as he sang the 'Linnell parts.' Then, the light would fade from Linnell and focus on Graham, Jim O'Connor, Dan Levine and Flans who were all gathered around one mic, singing the 'Broom parts.' Audience participation was definitely encuraged, They left parts blank for us to sing along! =) I took pictures, as soon as they are developed, I will post them on my page for all to see! =) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:49:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215154921_1015982758@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Where is there a hidden track on Factory Showroom?????? ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702152132.AA14453@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: I Am Not Your Broom Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:32:46 -0500 (EST) Maybe Linnell thinks that Flans/Graham etc should sweep for him and he should be lazy and not do any of that menial work ;) Seeing them do this live would've been very exciting, I wonder if anyone taped it as per Larry Santiago's pleading? Matt in the CD player (since I acquired them as of yesterday): Squirrel nut Zippers: Hot, Lightning Seeds single: Change, The Chills: Submarine Bells, James: Seven, Sunscreem single: Looking at You -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33064DA7.39E7@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:58:31 -0800 From: Malachi Constant Organization: Church of God the Utterly Indifferent Subject: TMBG: Trade Proposal! As one of the few TMBG'ers in Texas, I was bummed when They yet again skipped entirely over the state on tour. Sigh. Listies beware: never move to the deep south. Anyhow, I would really like to get ahold of a tape of any of the '96 shows, especially last night's Irving Plaza shindig. I offer in trade 2 full shows from Apollo 18 tour, one from the John Henry tour, and a copy of the 1985 demo tape. I don't know how many of you have heard this, but the original rendition of Don't Let's Start is pretty bizaare, not to mention the rest of the rough draft tunes. Gracias! josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215223347.0067ba64@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:33:47 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: 2/21 foolishness At 02:54 PM 02/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >It is sold out. =( >Now if that just didn't ruin my whole month =( I was hoping to meet >someone really special there >Oh well. >Ellen > Oh, fantastic. Oops, sorry mittens. Zink * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970215223604.006705d0@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:36:04 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! At 03:49 PM 02/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >Where is there a hidden track on Factory Showroom?????? > On track one, pause it as soon as it loads, and then hit the << button until track 0 comes up. At least, thats how it works on my player. GOod luck Zink * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:46:21 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: a humble request Message-Id: I would like to ask a big favor from you kind people on this list. I know that many of you indulge in the trading of concert boots and other rarities. I have wanted to be apart of this, but I have not had the opportunity to tape any concerts (I've only been to one, and that was before I was wise in the ways of Giantism). If anyone out there would be willing to help me get started, I would be forever in their debt. -jamal p.s.-i do have a tape of Mono Puff's performance on NPR and would gladly copy it for anyone who wants it. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:15:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215181513_-1877115494@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: How can I get a set list? how to get a list? well,with last weeks Irving show,i was in the very front. One guy got linnells list. i screamed out "NO! I NEVER GET ANYTHING!" and i got flans's with all his writing in the back! Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:00:47 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Survey update Message-ID: Hey all-- This is your friendly neighborhood survey taker writing to each and every one of you right now. I'm just informing y'all that today was the self-imposed deadline for these surveys to be sent to me. Then again, I have lots of stuff to do this weekend, so I might not even get to the surveys until next weekend. We'll see, though. Oh yeah, and I have received 106 surveys as of this very moment. I know there are plenty more than that on this list (or maybe there aren't...anyone have an idea of how many of us are on this list?), but I understand that some people are career lurkers. So if you haven't sent me your survey yet, do so right now...if you need a copy, e-mail me and I'll set you up. See ya later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life..." --Pavement, "Shady Lane" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 15 Feb 97 19:23 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor in-store show--corrected > TMBG will be playing an in-store show at Wherehouse records, >located at the corner of South University Ave. and Church St. in Ann >Arbor, Michigan, at 4pm on 2/19 (this Wednesday). Hey, on the off chance I might be able to get to this show (not likely), does anyone know how to get from Alma, MI to the Wherehouse in Ann Arbor? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:54:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215205429_1929331774@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Pre-OMLT Here's a little suggestion I have: Until the OMLT comes out, I think we should have a uniform way of identifying us at concerts. I had the idea that maybe we could all just carry a computer disk or a pencil, or a tissue, or... in our hands. It won't be conspicuous, but to the trained Mailing List eye, we'll know who is on the list. Comments, suggestions, questions, call Yoel97@aol.com or post. Joel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:54:42 -0500 From: Doug Haas Message-ID: <330668E2.6B830949@tso.cin.ix.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: a humble request J, the Mysterious wrote: > > I would like to ask a big favor from you kind people on this list. I know > that many of you indulge in the trading of concert boots and other > rarities. I have wanted to be apart of this, but I have not had the > opportunity to tape any concerts (I've only been to one, and that was > before I was wise in the ways of Giantism). If anyone out there would be > willing to help me get started, I would be forever in their debt. > > -jamal > p.s.-i do have a tape of Mono Puff's performance on NPR and would gladly > copy it for anyone who wants it. for all of your TMBG bootleg needs, just visit http://tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702160237.VAA04628@norwich.valley.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:08:24 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT That kickin' puppy Yoel97@aol.com was known to say: >Here's a little suggestion I have: > > Until the OMLT comes out, I think we should have a uniform way of >identifying us at concerts. I had the idea that maybe we could all just >carry a computer disk or a pencil, or a tissue, or... in our hands. It won't >be conspicuous, but to the trained Mailing List eye, we'll know who is on the >list. Comments, suggestions, questions, call Yoel97@aol.com or post. > >Joel First of all, I apologize to Joel, who has to read this twice, because I accidentaly sent it just to him. I must say that this is a great idea, although I think a disk may look a little odd. I'm all in favor of masking tape on the back. Of course, it won't matter, because apparently none of the other 500 people on this list choose to go tell me that they're gfoing to the Toad's Place concert on the 20th. Or their just not going. So prove me wrong! E-mail me and say that you're going! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Currently in the imaginary 8-cd changer: XTC: Skylarking*Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol*Monopuff: Unsupervised Meat Puppets: Too High to Die*Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes* Green Day:Kerplunk*Offspring: Smash*Coyote Shivers: Coyote Shivers Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:41:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215214137_76313651@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: here we go...IRVING PLAZA 2/14 well, we all heard from Cortney (who i managed to meet after the show :) a little about the show,now its JORDAN'S turn....... well,i know i told everyone we'd be first in line,but i got there 5:50,and there were a bunch of aol people,and my friends there. We waited... we got in,and for the first time,i was not in the first row of people. i was in the 2nd row,and it may not seem like a difference,but BELIEVE YOU ME...there is. they showed us some Dead Milkmen,Ramones,and other videos (which was way more entertaining then the silent dracula movie they showed us last time). Brian Dewan was great. he will be there again on the 21st. he was just one guy,so you could understand what he was singing. Then Magnetic Fields. I:p They opened for tmbg at Roseland,and i hated them. this time they werent as bad as at Roseland,but i still found them boring,and every one of there songs is the same. i think they just did 1 long song for like 30 minutes. finally,THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS! they opened with Older. i thought the show was going to be all new songs the entire evening...but nope. there was maybe around 6 or 10 "new" songs (quotation marks cause i already had heard most of them). though Rat Patrol was cool,and of coarse, I AM NOT YOUR BROOM. my friend Daniel (Dan.E.boy) got the setlist,so im assuming he'll post the songs. also on the list,it said something like "by temporarily....",and it listed "Hotel Detective (flans singing)" and it also said Unforgotten. freaky. well, i enjoyed the show. and if anyone cares,what i didnt enjoy was during the middle of the show my stomach was bothering me,and i felt very sick. actually,it was during Reprehensible. God help me,i actually wanted tmbg to finish,and i wanted to go home. you have no idea how horrible it is,to be in front of your fav band,and want to go home. Luckily,next they played James K Polk, and for that time i was healed! "The Healing Power of James K Polk" you could call it. the reason probably is cause during the more mellow songs,i didnt move at all,but during the hoppier,or faster songs,i felt better since my mind was concntrating on having fun. i was probably sick cause i needed air. that place is suffocating. theres nothing to breathe but smoke and Carbon Dioxide. when i got outside i felt much better. ANYWAY........... There was a few idiots moshing near me,which caused a chain reaction of the whole crowd to push,so i got pushed 2 rows back, 10 feet to the side,then all the way to the front (coo). you could say it was like a square dance... after the show,i met up with Liz,and Cortney,and we waited for autographs. i got Brian Dewans autpgraph on a far side comic. then Mr.Dan Levine and Chris'o conner came out. they both signed my S-E-X-XY single,though the rain smudged it. chris said "this is the first time i signed an autograph on something i was actually ON" i missed Graham,but i talked with him last show so i didnt mind. the guard then told us that THEY would be near the front. we ran,and saw linnell across the street RUN into a cab and speed off >:( we mustve missed Flans. THATS IT,BYE! jorDan ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:43:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215214318_-1039604454@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT <> I'm going, but that is a lie. You told me to say that! LOL. No, I am not going. How about a disk taped to the back with masking tape???!!! HA-HA I however am serious about this. Can we all come to a consensous (sp?) about an item we can all carry/wear/do whatever to? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970216024742.0067ea1c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:47:42 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Re: long-winded Matt James wrote: >Well I don't know exactly what you mean by "so has the >quality of the songs", but my guess is that you like >the newer TMBG much more than the older music, so >therefore the Pink album is the most inferior album and >Factory Showroom is the best album. I don't really agree >with this at all, Your guess is wrong. A18 is my favorite album as well. I was just stating that I prefer to have fewer songs on an album, songs which are longer. Sure, lots of people like Their traditional "under 3 min song." And yes, They do have some, no, make that a helluva lot of great, short songs. I happen to like longer songs, but that doesn't mean I hate the short ones. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) P.S. I NEED 2 TICKETS TO THE KENYON SHOW! HELP IF YOU CAN! "A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn." ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:53:48 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: here we go...IRVING PLAZA 2/14 Is anyone going to post a setlist? I'd really like to know what they played, other than the ones everyone has been mentioning... ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:02:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215220216_1214430323@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!! Yeah I know I'm kinda late with this, but I got home at 4 am last night, and I haven't had time to write. Anyway... I got there at about 5:20, and I was sixth in line! I met two listies, Cortney and Josh, and they were both very nice (the latter very qiet, but nice nonetheless), and, of course Jordan who I didn't really meet (well I met him but...). Anyway, by the time we got in and checked our bags and everything though, the first row was all filled up. So I was in the second row of people, not too thrilled, but happy to be there. Brian Dewan (pronounced Doo WAHN) opened first, and he was really cool. "Rumplestiltsken" was one of the coolest songs I've ever heard! Magnetic Fields were up next, and despite a really really bad performance at Roseland, they weren't that bad. Finally they came on (with the critic intro) and-- well I got a setlist, so... OLDER /SEXXY (the love cannon went off at the begining. "Shit will get in your eyes" -Flans) SLEEPING BIRDHOUSE TIL MY HEAD (introduced as "Until My Head Falls Off") PARTICLE MAN I AM NOT YR BROOM (John sang the John parts, Grahm, Dan, and the other horn guy sang the Broom parts. Those few in the audience who knew it sang along) SPIDER /GUITAR RAT PATROL LIE STILL LI'L BOTTLE (with the STICK!) ON THE DRAG SPIRALING SHAPE COUNTERFEIT FAKER CERTAIN PEOPLE XTC VS ADAM ANT /EXQUISITE GUY REPREHENSIBLE ("This song is too much for Elektra" or something like that) POLK TWISTING ISTANBUL (without violin) SING LIKE A GIRL ------------------ THEY GOT LOST GDBYE GARAGE ROCK NEW YORK CITY /DIG MY GRAVE (these songs weren't played (?) by te wayside temporarily (yes, it says this) HOTEL DETECTIVE (flansy's voice) <-- that is on the list EARWIG UNFORGOTTEN They tried to do that scary thing with waving and strobe lights, but the lights didn't work! ______________________________________________________________________ It was a really good show, although not the *new song* massacre it was billed as. By the end, Jordan and I got up to the front-- but that's not what you want to hear. We (me, Jordan, Cortney, certain people I don't know) waited outside in the drizzling rain for autographs, and since all my friends have borrowed my TMBG cds, all I had to get signed was my setlist. It was signed by Dan Levine, the other horn guy (Chris something, I think), the new guitarist: Jay Sherman Godfreid (not the critic!), and Brian Dewan, who's not a Giant, but was very nice, and very cool (if I had any more money, I would have bought his cd). The security guard or something told us Linnell would be coming out the front, so we all stupidly went to the front as a blue-hooded-sweatshirt wearing individual ran into a taxi. Yes, it was John. Flansburg was nowhere in sight. Oh well... Anyway, it was great, and I can't wait to see you all on the 21st! -Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970216030453.00669dfc@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:04:53 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT At 08:54 PM 02/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >Here's a little suggestion I have: > > Until the OMLT comes out, I think we should have a uniform way of >identifying us at concerts. I had the idea that maybe we could all just >carry a computer disk or a pencil, or a tissue, or... in our hands. It won't >be conspicuous, but to the trained Mailing List eye, we'll know who is on the >list. Comments, suggestions, questions, call Yoel97@aol.com or post. > >Joel > Hmm...perhaps writing LIST on one hand, or the forehead. Or continually shouting "Who's taping this?" at concerts... zink * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:29:47 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT Message-ID: > >Here's a little suggestion I have: > > > > Until the OMLT comes out, I think we should have a uniform way of > >identifying us at concerts. I had the idea that maybe we could all just > >carry a computer disk or a pencil, or a tissue, or... in our hands. It won't > >be conspicuous, but to the trained Mailing List eye, we'll know who is on the > >list. Comments, suggestions, questions, call Yoel97@aol.com or post. > > Wait, I have an idea. Everybody on the list should wear a long trench coat (black, preferably, but whatever you can find), smoke Dunhills (Mission Impossible reference), and have a red carnation in their lapel. Trust me, you would then know who the list people are...and hell, I just might do it if They ever come back to St. Louis when I'm here... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I guess I really don't know how to party..." --Mighty Mighty Bosstones ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702160343.WAA22351@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:43:11 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: TMBG: Then; spam (?) ** Reply to note from KdsInThHal@aol.com Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:19:12 -0500 (EST) Zoot! > > MONK GLOATS OVER YOGA CHAMPIONSHIP > <> > Can someone explain to me what on earth this was about, why it was sent to > the list, and why I ought to care? Seemed like some humorous writing somebody decided to pass on, in the hope that some of us might enjoy it. Amazingly, I did, and passed it on to a friend of mine in similar hope. :) But... you really don't need to care, if you don't feel like it. Moo, /* // kill kill kill kill kill me now * Carl Hudkins // free the demon * chud@vnet.net // hear the ceaseless screaming * [Team OS/2] // little stomp box */ // tear it from my heart ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702160343.WAA22354@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:43:16 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden tracks ** Reply to note from jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:10:18 EST Hi... > It's called Token Back to Brooklyn. If you put the CD in, you have to go > back before the first song. Some CD players will not work this way. What a weird thing to do... of course, we shouldn't be surprised. :) I bet my player won't do that; will have to see when I eventually get that disc. /* // * Carl Hudkins // * chud@vnet.net // pardon me while I have a strange interlude * [Team OS/2] // */ // ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702160343.WAA22357@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:43:19 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: TMBG: CD data section? ** Reply to note from Lawrence P Solomon Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:09:19 -0500 (EST) Oom... > Could... I think it loses something, though, without the visual effects. > Maybe they'll put the movie of it on a data portion of the CD... that > would certainly be cool. Ok, I've been curious about this sort of thing for years... if I were to have a CD with a "data portion", how would I access that stuff? Is this like the CD-ROMs of the 7th Guest or King's Quest Whatever, where in addition to the programs there was a musical track, only in reverse? Then on the musical CD, if I stuck it in my computer there would be a directory with some .WAV or .AVI files? I heard Information Society or Dire Straits did that a few years back, but never got the CDs to see what exactly was different about them. Yours behind the times, /* // Porter: There is a knocking without. * Carl Hudkins // Fool: Without what? * chud@vnet.net // Porter: Without the door, you idiot! * [Team OS/2] // Fool: A knocking without a door? This isn't */ // some kind of Zen, is it? ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:52:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Feb-97 TMBG: My (second) Irving Ex.. by SquirlHead@aol.com > EARWIG What the hell is that supposed to be?!? I'm very scared, now. Also, I heard they played Purple Toupee, but I don't see it in your list. Was it played, or not? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215225702.006ce804@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:57:04 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Long Winded / Pre OMLT / Trading cards I don't care how long or short an album is, I care (mainly) about how good the album is on a whole. It could be 78 minutes of crap, or 20 or less minutes of pure genius (BTS). I thought of a good way to identify list members: Everyone on the list should come to concerts... ...Naked!!! Yup, completely NUDE. (And maybe have body paint saying TMBG-LIST) Oh, another trading card I have... "Brian Doherty" (Discontinued) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215230205.00683c60@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:02:06 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM >Could... I think it loses something, though, without the visual effects. > Maybe they'll put the movie of it on a data portion of the CD... that >would certainly be cool. HOw about this... The CD could be (outward from the center, for those who know how this works)... IANYB .mov in a data portion, playable on computers furthur out... IANYB CD track in negative track 1 (like TBTB) Furthest out... the rest of the album. See, It would be a hidden track AND a hidden enhanced CD, but all that would be on the enhanced CD would be IANYB (and they could give it some weird name, like 61862-2.MOV) The trivia Question for this message is... Where did I get that number from? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215230455.00683c60@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:04:57 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Unsupervised question At 02:09 PM 2/15/97 -0500, Adam Tyner wrote: >On my copy of Mono Puff: Unsupervised, there are white circles around The >Devil Went Down To Newport and Nixon's The One. Does this mean anything? > >Just wondering, The two songs, when slowed down and sped up (respectively) to 1 minute exactly, then played simultaniously will be an encoded message, which when send into outer space will summon aliens who will come destroy half the planet, and make TMBG supreme leaders over the other half. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:06:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970215230656_649892532@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: My (second) Irving Experience!!-- Oops! Well, it's official. After mailing my big shot setlist to everyone, I realize-- I left out a section!! In between SING LIKE A GIRL and THEY GOT LOST is: I CAN HEAR YOU SHOEHORN PUPLE TOUPEE SPY They were seperated by an encore at the show, and a line on the setlist. I wrote the songs after the next line (which appears after SPY). Sorry. Please excuse my stupidity. Humbley, Dan E. Boy PS- EARWIG was not played. None of those three were. (HOTEL (flansy's voice), EARWIG, UNFORGOTTEN) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215231805.006ccb48@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:18:09 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Enhanced CDs A while ago CNET did a really interesting report on Enhanced CDs, how they work and such, lemme see if there's any way to still get that on their web page... Ah, here we go... The address is: http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reviews/Enhanced/techindex.html I'd recomend reading all of it, You'll learn a lot. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:32:20 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > See, It would be a hidden track AND a hidden enhanced CD, but all that > would be on the enhanced CD would be IANYB (and they could give it some > weird name, like 61862-2.MOV) > > The trivia Question for this message is... Where did I get that number from? > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > Ha! Your puny trivia questions are no match for the power of my mind! The answer is::::::: It's the end of the bar code number on Factroy Showroom, which, in its entirety, is: 7559-61862-2 0 3 MuhaHAhahAhahAHaha! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970215233350.006ca91c@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:33:53 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM At 11:32 PM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote: > Ha! Your puny trivia questions are no match for the power of my >mind! The answer is::::::: > It's the end of the bar code number on Factroy Showroom, which, >in its entirety, is: 7559-61862-2 > 0 3 > >MuhaHAhahAhahAHaha! > > Congratulations! You have as much or more free time than I do, because it probably took you just as much time (or more) to look for that number than it did for me to find it and use it in the first place. Actually, you're not completey right! It appears somewhere without the preceding 7559! Can you find it? (There asre actually three more places I've found it, none of which are preceded by 7559!) A new challenbge! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970216044650.0069deb0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:46:50 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: long-winded >> >Truth Or Sandwiches is too long. >> >> Whats Truth or Sandwiches? Is that their first album? I know that's one of >> the signs on the cover of the 1st album. >I would also like to know what Truth or Sandwitches is. It is indeed Their first album. What To Call The First Album is a thread that has been running in fits and starts ever since the list's inception (and PLEASE don't let's start it again...), and it's the closest thing the list has to a holy war. Most people call it one of the below: The Pink Album (or TPA) The Big Blue Dog Album The First Album Eponymous Self-Titled (or S/T) Truth or Sandwiches No Exit If somebody talks about a TMBG album with a name you've never heard of, it's almost certainly this one. PLEASE don't argue about what you think it should be called. Reasons are two-fold-- a) fans of one name are fiercely loyal to their choice (i.e. you won't convince anybody that your name choice is superior), and b) it clogs the list with repartee such as this: "Pink forever!" "Pink sucks, blue forever!" "You're both wrong! It's called ______ (fill in the blank)!", and all the messages are decidedly un-fun to wade through. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about the band's fans. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970216053433.00667aa0@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 00:34:33 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM At 11:33 PM 02/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >At 11:32 PM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >> Ha! Your puny trivia questions are no match for the power of my >>mind! The answer is::::::: >> It's the end of the bar code number on Factroy Showroom, which, >>in its entirety, is: 7559-61862-2 >> 0 3 >> >>MuhaHAhahAhahAHaha! >> >> > >Congratulations! You have as much or more free time than I do, because it >probably took you just as much time (or more) to look for that number than >it did for me to find it and use it in the first place. > >Actually, you're not completey right! It appears somewhere without the >preceding 7559! Can you find it? (There asre actually three more places >I've found it, none of which are preceded by 7559!) > See?!? SEE what this music does to you MIND? Please! Help Us! I have to go iron my cat now. Bwa! zink * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702160626.BAA28302@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Valentine's Day Show!!! Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 01:34:44 -0500 > this will appear as a track on Then: They Early Years!) I made a great > recording of the Critic Intro, I Am Not Your Broom, and the rest of the > show (of course!), so if anyone is interested in trading, let me know! > Have a They day! I am *very* interested in trading for the valetine's day show. How did your recording come out? Here's my list as it stands: ??/??/88 Arsenio Hall Show 5m 06/17/88 The Knitting Factory, NYC 45m 12/??/88 Peabody's Down Under, Cleveland, OH 70m 03/10/89 Ecstasy, Berlin, Germany 45m (Inc.) 11/25/89 The Bottom Line, NYC 90m 12/31/89 Quiet Life, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY 45m (Inc.) 01/28/90 WXRK New York Interview 45m 04/28/90 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL 45m (Inc.) 06/27/92 Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 60m (Dr. Spock's Back Up Band) 07/06/92 The Tonight Show 10m 07/16/92 Coach House, San Juan, CA 45m 07/27/92 Cola Mountain In-Store 35m 09/03/92 KITS Studio, San Francisco, CA 20m 09/19/92 Valentine Hall, Amherst, MA 100m 10/05/92 Modjeska Theater, Milwaukee, WI 100m 11/11/92 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL 90m 09/29/93 The Stone Balloon, Newark, DE 90m ??/??/94 Radio One Interview 25m 04/20/94 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 10/14/94 Sony Music Studios, NYC 60m 11/02/94 Elmwood Hall, Buffalo, NY 90m 03/11/95 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 03/14/95 WXRT Chicago Interview 45m 08/02/95 Beacon Theater, NYC 45m 03/28/96 The Mercury Lounge, NYC (late show) 110m 04/12/96 E'town College, Elizabethtown, PA 81m 09/23/96 TRAX, Charlottesville, VA 80m 11/08/96 Roseland, NYC 90m 12/27/96 9:30 Club, Washington, DC 100m 12/29/96 Water Street Music Hall, Rochester, NY 75m The Demo Tape 45m House of Mayors - John Linnell (Hello Club EP) 20m Hello the Band (Hello Club EP) 20m What I'm looking for -- 02/07/97 Irving Plaza, New York City, NY 02/14/97 Irving Plaza, New York City, NY 02/21/97 Irving Plaza, New York City, NY Will trade 5:1 for: 12/30/95 The Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA thanks... -harlan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 05:30:37 UT From: "PANACHE4U Kathy" Message-Id: Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... > Favorite Author:Terry Prattchet > Favorite TV Show:Simpsons > Favorite TMBG album:Truth Or Sandwiches > Favorite TMBG song (only 1):currently Spiralling Shape > Favorite Comic Strip:Over the Hedge > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > What is Truth or Sandwiches? Ryan the .sigless wonder aka Widget ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-46 *****************************