Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-47 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 47 Monday, 17 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Finding other listees TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG Japan tour dates / Does anyone know? Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT TMBG: Valentines Day Re: TMBG: Pre OMLT / NUDE TMBG: It is a Sad Day TMBG: Oops sorry.....Delete me Re: TMBG: Finding other listees TMBG: Irving Plaza 2/14 TMBG: Important www.tmbg.org news. TMBG: Irving 2/21: Tickets??!! TMBG: DAS online? TMBG: A Dream!! (pretty cool one too) TMBG: Is anyone taping these Irving Plaza shows? TMBG: PLAN for us people at the 12st show! Re: TMBG: Pre OMLT / NUDE Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Re: TMBG: Re: Long Winded TMBG: How to boot and not get booted? Re: TMBG: Unsupervised question TMBG: another weird TMBG dream... TMBG: Bootleg list/Irving shows Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! TMBG: Data/Audio CDs TMBG: More meeting people TMBG: Edison.Wav Re: TMBG: Edison.Wav Re: TMBG: More meeting people TMBG: SSS TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" TMBG: pet name/cards/truth/list/setlist/rings/concerts/#'s RE: TMBG: long-winded TMBG: Irving Plaza/Nausea Re: TMBG: pet name/cards/truth/list/setlist/rings/concerts/#'s TMBG: More meeting people / PRE-OMLT / NUDE TMBG: Dial-A-Song Online TMBG:Nausea Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza/Nausea TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 02:49:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216024918_445211385@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Finding other listees Hello 41- I have found that wearing a "Hello My Name Is _____" sticker is a great way to meet people. It has worked in the past, and will continue to work in the future. It works! Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199702160815.DAA02744@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: bellcat@ibm.net Message-ID: <3306CCA8.1200@ibm.net> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:00:24 +0900 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Japan tour dates / Does anyone know? If there is anyone who knows TMBG Japan tour dates, could you let me know? And also, if there is anyone who is planning to go to the shows in Tokyo, please write me. I would like to go with someone who really loves THEM. Thanks Yukiko from Tokyo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 08:46:35 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970213035751.35a70260@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT I think the idea of identification with computer disks is wonderful. We could put a label on the disk with our name on it, and on the disk (digitally) we could have an assortment of They JPGs and/or lyrics or WAV files... Could even make a movie fit on there (if we PKZIP broom)... Of course, how do we affix this marvelous contraption to ourselves? DUCT TAPE! All major props are held together with duct tape. All praise duct tape, which Obi-Wan describes as being much like the force (both have a light and dark side, and both bind the universe together). -Goat Boy ============================================================= In my CD player right now... The Residents' "Gingerbread Man" ============================================================= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970216090718.0068e560@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:07:21 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Valentines Day Hey, someone wanna make me a copy of the Valentines Day IP show? I don't have much to trade, but I could send a tape. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:13:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216091330_1016037609@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre OMLT / NUDE In a message dated 97-02-15 23:02:02 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << I thought of a good way to identify list members: Everyone on the list should come to concerts... ...Naked!!! Yup, completely NUDE. >> Believe me, that would not be a good idea. You don't want to see me naked! LOL. How about taping computer disks all over our naked body. Joel ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:30:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216093011_474853886@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: It is a Sad Day Today I went into K-Mart and as I passed by the music section I saw the TV that plays music videos and I saw that the S-E-X-X-Y song had been taken off and replaced. = ( ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702161537.KAA18312@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 10:33:39 +0500 From: "FuzzyMonk Inc." Subject: TMBG: Oops sorry.....Delete me Sorry bout that last message. I am staying here, just delete these two **************************************************************************** Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk chsexton@vt.edu 332 Lee Hall (540) 232-2048 Va Tech www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton Blacksburg, Va 24060-0007 **************************************************************************** I see the best minds of my generation Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical- Young ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199702161606.LAA29351@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Finding other listees Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:06:11 -0500 (EST) > > I have found that wearing a "Hello My Name Is _____" sticker is a great way > to meet people. It has worked in the past, and will continue to work in the > future. It works! > Good idea, but do you think it would work? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:38:50 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza 2/14 Message-ID: Well, since pretty much everybody I met at the Irving Plaza has posted about it, I guess I should to. I arrived in NYC on my bus from Pittsburgh at around 5 and made it to Irving Plaza around 5:20. Cortney was already in line as was Dan, and Jordan got there pretty soon after and was in line right behind me. Being quiet and tired I didn't realize all this for a while but cortney figured out who I was quick enough and I recognized who Jordan was... Well, the show was really cool :) I was in the second row of people like Jordan was and he is right...it does make a difference. I actually sorta moved quite a bit back by the end of the show cause some people were a little too into the moshing thing, but overall the crowd was pretty cool. Highlights for me were Linnell playing 4 instruments on stage (including clarinet) :) and Purple Toupee was awesome! as were a lot of the new songs...most of which I had heard... I hadn't heard Rat Patrol and it was really good! I only wish I could remember it better. Well it was a really cool show. It was nice to see TMBG with horns again (the second time for me) and it was nice to meet everybody(including tdk from IRC...I dunno how much he posts here). I hope I am a little more awake and talkative next week when my dad drives me up :) still tired Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970216171623.008ef100@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:16:23 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Important www.tmbg.org news. Important news about the web site! I would like to announce our new unified index. It is not ready for prime time yet, but I would like to get some people looking for errors on it, so I'll let you see it now if you will catch our mistakes! You can visit http://www.tmbg.org/songs/ to see it. You'll notice many of the recent submissions appear on this page. Many more are being put up this week so don't mail us asking why yours isn't up, we're working on it right now. Please check for bad links, typo's, spelling errors and the like. Mail web@tmbg.org with any errors you find. I'd also like comments on the new format, I think people will like it. The second item is that the web site, mailing list, ftp site, as well as www.tmbg.com and www.monopuff.org will be down for most of the day on Thursday. I am moving the machine from it's current physical location to someplace closer to my new home. Since it will only be down 10-12 hours it shouldn't cause any major problems for anyone. Finally, stay tuned for some really interesting new items on the web site. I can't say what they will be yet, but I can promise they will be quite popular! -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:18:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216121537_717830422@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Irving 2/21: Tickets??!! Does anybody have one extra ticket to the Irving show on the 21st? If so, would you please e-mail me privately to work things out. Thanks a lot! I'll see you at Irving! -Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33070BA5.1F7F@baka.com> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:29:09 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: DAS online? I hate to be impatient, but it IS sunday, and Nixon's the One is still up on dial-a-song online. Ah well, there's still oh, around twelve hours for them to continue updating it "weekly". And I never really beleived they'd stay weekly forever anyway. Nevermind. what would be in my five-CD changer if I owned one: Violent Femmes: "Violent Femmes", eels: "Beautiful Freak", TMBG:"They Might Be Giants", Cracker: "cracker", Talking Heads:"Stop Making Sense" God, I wish I had a five-CD changer. All that's actually in my CD player is the afore-mentioned Femmes album. And for conert identification pre-OMLT, how about we take huge signs that say "TMBG-LIST" and staple them to shirts? Instant OMLT! And we should get slightly less strange looks than we would nude/with a peice of masking tape stuck to the back of our heads/ carrying brooms. Though I kind of like the old, way pre-OMLT, idea of bringing brooms to concerts. Goodbye. I just had to stretch out that post to justify my new slightly too long sig. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the nightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:37:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216123716_378474292@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: A Dream!! (pretty cool one too) Ok, my dream started------ i was going to the 3rd Irving show. I ran in,praying i would be in the front row of people,and with my luck,my friend Daniel (DanEboy) was saving me a spot there. so i ran there and stayed in front. i remembered my parents and sister was coming to the show,so i anted it to be good. well, i dont know how this happened,but all of a sudden i was John Linnell. Like it was my mind,in his body. well,i was on stage with Flans,and i looked out at the audience. i felt POWER! (moohahaha). so anyway,the show started. Flans was acting really weird,and didnt really play. he got off the stage and walkd around the room. i was just nervous about what to do on stage. i saw my parents and sister pretty disapointed in the show so far. well,Flans came back, and he gave me my drum machine. i said "what am i sopossed to do with this" and he said "just hop around with it like an idiot". I didnt mind doing that,but the problem was i didnt know how to play it. it was this little drum machine that flans told me to hold up against my right shoulder when i played it. But since me,Jordan,has no instrumental talent whatsoever,i had no idea how to play it. well,i got on the stage,and talked to a couple fans,just to feel more POWER. i talked to Dan,and walkd around saying Hi to people. Me and Flans didnt really play any songs on stage. i was upset that my family didnt see a good show. Thats my dream! ahhh...the POWER.... jORDAn ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702161746.MAA38000@acs-mail.bu.edu> From: "Wally Gobetz" Subject: TMBG: Is anyone taping these Irving Plaza shows? Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:44:39 -0500 Is anyone taping these Irving Plaza shows? I am from New York and wish I could have gone to them, but I'm away at school right now and couldn't get home because of exam schedules. If anyone has made good tapes of the shows, I would be very interested in getting them. Please contact me through email. Thanks so much! Wally Gobetz wallyg@bu.edu ========================================================================= caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:25:09 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <33075105.9F9@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: PLAN for us people at the 12st show! We should all bring like a sign that says something... I dont know... oh, and the "hi, graham" was Liz, my friend. -- Brian B. (Faboo23) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 13:40 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre OMLT / NUDE >Believe me, that would not be a good idea. You don't want to see me naked! >LOL. How about taping computer disks all over our naked body. Um, no. Sure, it'd be all fun and games at first, but when it came to be time to take off the duct tape... OUCH! ;) Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:01:51 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-OMLT >> Until the OMLT comes out, I think we should have a uniform way of >>identifying us at concerts. I had the idea that maybe we could all just >Hmm...perhaps writing LIST on one hand, or the forehead.[...] or in green magic marker on the back of our heads! -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:46:29 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <33076415.37EE@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: R. Conant/ A. Schlesinger Queen Sneepy wrote: > > On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > > >A while back when the movie "That Thing You Do" came out, i remember > > >someone making a TMBG connection with the movie because the guy who wrote > > >the title song was in a band that opened for Them, something beginning > > > > Flans... Mike Viola.... Candy Butchers... Correct me If I'm wrong. > > > Oh, I know who Rolf Conant is, I just thought it was interesting that he > was on Apollo 18 too, as I thought it was only a Mono Puff thing :). > He's Also on the Guitar CD single. Jeremy Mathews http://members.tripod.com/~Jeremyly/index.html ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:30:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216153030_1214493477@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Long Winded In a message dated 97-02-15 12:05:28 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << >I still will always follow Them devotedly even if They released a 60 >minute long CD with only one song. They could do a "Sounds of Nature" CD and that would come true. Actually, it would be neat to hear J&J doing Whale Songs... hehehe.... >> There is a song by Pink Floyd on Ummagumma called (you may not want to believe the title), "Several Small Creatures Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With a Pict" And, guess what it sounds like? You got it. Squirrels, badgers, etc. all making animal noises in a rhythmic fashion. Pretty incredible. A quote from The Wall..."Just thought you'd like to know." Joseph ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970216203719.0069ba3c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:37:19 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: How to boot and not get booted? Ahoy, everyone So now that I'm very psyched about my second TMBG show ever (Palo Alto 3/13!), I'm turning my thoughts to other matters. Namely, I'm thinking about trying to make a boot of the show. What manner of equipment do I need? What kind of tape works best? What happens if I get caught? Is security at The Edge looser than that at the Warfield, where they patted everyone down? (For the record, my Warfield ticket said, "No cameras", but my Edge ticket doesn't.) Anyone know if this show will have an opening band? Will there be an in-store beforehand, and if so, where? --nicole the wonder nerd Will trade a super-rare "TMBG: Concert In Sacramento" for "Space Alien Linnell" and "Schermerhorn Plays Hooky" *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:38:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216153849_-2110432465@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Unsupervised question In a message dated 97-02-15 23:24:45 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << The two songs, when slowed down and sped up (respectively) to 1 minute exactly, then played simultaniously will be an encoded message, which when send into outer space will summon aliens who will come destroy half the planet, and make TMBG supreme leaders over the other half. >> THEY don't want the world, just your half. Your friend who could not resist (resistance is futile, y'know), Joseph ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:49:05 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: another weird TMBG dream... I had a strange dream this morning... I was listening to Factory Showroom, and suddenly a hidden track appeared between I Can Hear You and The Bells are Ringing. The strange thing is it was One More Parade, only it wasn't the arrangement they recorded for that Elektra thing, but some other version, with just accordion, guitar and drums. And then somehow They showed up and I asked them about it. And they congratulated me for having found it, because most CD players weren't supposed to be able to see it, even though it was right between two normal tracks on the CD. The other weird thing was that it was still on track 12. The number didn't advance, so The Bells are Ringing was still 13. I never got to ask them how they could include a hidden track that's a cover of someone else's song without giving credit... I'm assuming the credit for it was also hidden somewhere... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:54:27 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <33077403.5C44@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Bootleg list/Irving shows Hey all, I'm keen to get those irving shows. Here's a list of what I currently have. If you would like to rade, email me privately. 1985 Demo Tape 3/87 Frank O'Toole Show, East Orange, NJ 6/23/87 Richmond, VA: Screaming in Hell 6/26/87 Atlanta, GA: Happy Birthday 9/2/88 Knitting Factory, NYC, NY 11/11/93 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL (includes unknown concert on side B) 6/24/93 They Might Be Giants and Frank Black Live from Electric Ladyland Studio, NY (CD) 10/1/94 On the Edge Radio program includes live performances 10/14/94 Live!- New York City (CD) 3/14/96 Mercury Lounge 4/12/96 Elizabethtown College, PS 9/19/96 House of Blues, L.A. 11/15/96 End Zone, Salt Lake City, UT (Master) 11/15/96 State Fair Grounds Hoticulture Building, Salt Lake City, UT (Master) 11/22/96 El Ray Theater, Los Angeles, CA 1994 Free When You Call From Work 1994 The Power Of Dial-A-Song 1994 Stump Box Sleeping In The Flowers Radio Edit and Super Cool Mix (included w/ 6/24/93) (CD/ Master) 1996 The Lo Fidelity Experience Coming soon.. Dr. Spock's Back-up Band (if J Morrow ever sends me my tape!) Kitkat accoustic enterview WNEW appearance I think that's it. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:59:15 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Message-ID: On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, David Bryan wrote: > > I woulnd't expect IANYB to be on an album, but you never know :) > > It could work as a secret track, like Token Back to Brooklyn on FS. Not on my CD player. :( -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702162207.AA04425@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Data/Audio CDs Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:07:09 -0500 (EST) Carl, The Squirrel Nut Zipper's new CD Hot has a multimedia part to it in addition to their songs. It is incredible! They have info about the band members, NPR radio stuff, stuff about their puppets, all of their songs and many videos with them, just a bonanza of great stuff! And this is in addition to a wonderful album. Check it out. There are directories on it, a readme telling you info about it. When you go into the SNZ exe it runs it all from your CD Rom. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to work on my IBM-compatible, this Mac at school was able to run it, though. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:15:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216171005_105636119@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: More meeting people Hello 41- Yes, I think the "Hello My Name Is ______" nametags are a great way to meet people! At the most recent Milwaukee and Chicago shows, I used that method, and it worked very well. 20something people were met at each show. It works well, and I will be doing it. You all can see how easy it is. Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702162319.RAA08755@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Edison.Wav Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:13:03 -0600 Does anybody know anything about this former DASonline gem? I really enjoy it, and I have no clue about it's history, who sings it, how much cheese is in my pants, or iffin' it's a TMBG original. Mike "Ha HA! My newsgroup access has RETURNED! MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!" Leffel Proud Owner of the Limited Edition Gold Series "They Might Be (Barbershop) Giants" mini-record/card, printing number 277812-a "Kiss Me Son Of God" published by Rhino/Skybox June 13th, 1996 I may trade it for the "Three Mile Island Concert" Glow in the Dark Card series'-- "She's Actual Size" maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:29:36 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: TMBG: Edison.Wav Message-ID: Easy. Type this into the URL window of your browser (or copy and paste it from this: http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ Up should pop a list of previous DAS waves. Just click and download! Enjoy! Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Does anybody know anything about this > former DASonline gem? I really enjoy it, and I > have no clue about it's history, who sings > it, how much cheese is in my pants, or > iffin' it's a TMBG original. > > > > > Mike "Ha HA! My newsgroup access has RETURNED! > MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!" Leffel > > > > Proud Owner of the Limited Edition > Gold Series "They Might Be (Barbershop) Giants" > mini-record/card, printing number 277812-a > "Kiss Me Son Of God" > published by Rhino/Skybox > June 13th, 1996 > > I may trade it for the > "Three Mile Island Concert" Glow in the Dark Card series'-- > "She's Actual Size" > > > maleffel@ncfcomm.com > ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:44:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216184434_277313400@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: More meeting people about meeting people, i had a name tag (well, it was a "TO: FROM:" sticker, but anyway...) i had my name, and with the nametag, i was able to meet Cortney. I did meet other people from the list, but not really with the nametag. Josh over heard me talking about the list, tdk met me,then we realized we were on the list,ive known Dan E boy since elementary school,so taht doesnt really matter, and Liz met me cause she knew i would be staying after the show with my Korean friend,who also had a nametag. my point anyway is,Nametags are good,and do work. But it seems telling people where youll probably be, specific details (ie: ill have a Simpson shirt....), and also saying really loud " I WONDER IF ANYONE HERE IS ON THE LIST?" sometimes works. I overheard someone say to Josh "i think i e-mailed you" (actually,i think it was Cortney who said that...) so i said outloud "hey, i have aol". no one responded, either they didnt hear me (i DID say it loud), or didnt care...but tahts a different monologue onto itself. i lost track of where i was...damn Mariokart 64, ruined mah brain...... Mario...um, i mean Jordan Kart.......... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: SSS Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:50:16 +1100 Morning!! On the similar soundin' songs thread. Haven't heard Unforgotten enough times to really know it, though it's a lot better than I thought it would be, given all the flak it got! Two songs that I did notice were very similar (after listening to them in a row, with my CD on random shuffle) were JKP and The Bells are Ringing. For some reason this tainted my initial enjoyment of these songs - I therefore advise you against trying this yourself at home, and no responsibility will be taken if any damages are done! Has anyone else noticed the similarity? It's the steady progression of notes which both songs start off with. Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:51:34 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Message-id: Did anyone else pick up on the line in "32 Footsteps" that reads "32 new moon shining in 32 skies?" Um, last I checked, new moons are the absence of a moon--therefore they don't shine! Cool, huh? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:53:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216185128_-804999447@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: pet name/cards/truth/list/setlist/rings/concerts/#'s >Also I was wondering...in light of this, since a lot of people >didn't seem to like Pet Name at first, did you same people not >like Unforgotten at first too? Well, I liked Pet Name from the start. But Unforgotten is just beginning to grow on me. >#167 Backstage Bitchin' Flans I'll trade you that for my #129 On Stage Screamin' Flans. ;) >Very rare XXX card... "Elekra Execs F**k Them Over" Now Evan, that's a tad disturbing. ;) >I would also like to know what Truth or Sandwitches is Hee hee.. the 1st album. Dubbed by me and many others: "Truth or Sandwiches." It has various other names, which I won't even get into now.. >Wyatt, who's thinking "could we have a quiz you have to pass >to get on the list???? of basic TMBG-knowlege?? probably >not.... oh well" That's not entirely fair... By reading the faq and stuff, then lurking on the list for a while, it helps you out. Don't tell me you all came to the list with the TMBG knowledge you have today. >The last time I went to a TMBG concert, I really wanted a >setlist, but I had no idea how to get one. I don't want to make >the same mistake again. Any suggestions on the best way to >get one? Do you have access to a 7 year old? :) That's how I got mine (inadvertently). >One of my best friends was at the Jan. 3rd show in St Louis >and swears that both Johns were wearing engagement rings. >Is she hallucinating? Well, Flans no doubt wears a wedding ring, as he's been married for 8 months. :) Linnell - I wouldn't be surprised if he's engaged. Just because he hasn't made his love life public doesn't mean it's not true. You gotta respect that... Like Mark McKinney from KITH/SNL - 99% of us on the KITH newsgroup had no idea he had a lady, let alone a wife till his son was born last year! Hard to face it, but there's a lot we don't know. >if Linnell was engaged, wouldn't his girlfriend (fiancee) be >the one wearing the engagement ring? There's a point! :D Maybe it's a wedding ring? Guess the only way to find out is to ask The Man himself! >you have no idea how horrible it is,to be in front of your fav >band,and want to go home. God, that sucks. I know what it's like actually. Friday, I also had the same problem at the BNL show.. being near dehydrated... :P It seemed to get a little better after a while, but I tell you ALL... {LURKERS- YOU TOO!} BRING A CAN/BOTTLE OF A BEVERAGE WITH YOU TO ANY CONCERT YOU GO TO!!! You'll seriously regret it if the venue is packed and sweaty, and all you can see is security guards and band members chugging Poland Spring and Mountain Dew.. >61862-2.MOV) > >The trivia Question for this message is... Where did I get that >number from? 6/18/62.. is it a John's bithday? Ow, don't hit me, I have them written down somewhere, but I'm not good at memorizing birthdays/ages. >It's the end of the bar code number on Factroy Showroom, >which, in its entirety, is: 7559-61862-2 Oops. Good guess, then? I tried. sarah :) <-- now listening to Odds' "Nest" linnellgirl@tmbg.org "What she said, that's how we feel!" - Odds bassist, Doug, pointing at me after I screamed for the Odds (2/14/97). :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: long-winded Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:01:09 +1100 >. But not only has the song >length risen, but so has the quality of the songs. > I think this statement is very debatable! If they'd cut out some of the crap (e.g. guitar solo's) in FS then they could have added a few more songs! Also, personally, I feel that the shorter songs (Exquisite Dead Guy, Your Own Worst Enema - oops - Enemy) are the best songs on the album. Metal Detector and TMHFO are great but would be better if they had been 'trimmed' Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702170010.TAA14536@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 19:12:48 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza/Nausea Hey! ME TOO! Every time I go to IP I get a big ol' stomach ache... Maybe bad ventilation? Sometimes I feel like I'm the ONLY person not smoking there... Met Jen (KMSOG) at the Valentines' Day Massacare. Hi Jen. (wave) I also got an excellent tape of the show. Balcony rocks. Woo. Let me tell you people something: SEXXY with the horn section live was THE BEST live TMBG song I've ever heard. The crowd was surfing on velvet sheets of disco sound. Trippy. On a final note, Flans PROMISED US COWTOWN NEXT WEEK!!! Oh my goodness, my head's gonna explode. Nirvana will be achieved. Wow. tompoohheadbucket sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199702170011.TAA14940@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: pet name/cards/truth/list/setlist/rings/concerts/#'s Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:11:31 -0500 (EST) > By reading the faq and stuff, then lurking on the > list for a while, it helps you out. > Of course, it only helps people out if they *do* those things... > >I really wanted a setlist, but I had no idea how to get one... > >Any suggestions on the best way to get one? > Do you have access to a 7 year old? :) That's how I got mine > Stealing setlists from babies, eh? :-) m@t ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:34:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970216192612_1281553491@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: More meeting people / PRE-OMLT / NUDE Ok, I have an idea. since we seem to be split between nametags, going nude, or wearing computer disks, I have combined them into this: We will come nude with our name on the computer disk lable in a dark black marker. The disk will be taped to our chest (that should be fun!) with duct tape! If you don't like the nude part, just tape it to your clothes!!! LOL. I'll be doing the nude thing. Hope there aren't too many little kids, wouldn't want to scare them. Hope I haven't scared any of us either!?! Also, I hope it isn't too cold that day!!! Going nude is one way to get Their attention, maybe even an autograph! :) Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 "Bye, bye Miss American Pie" --Don McLean (1972) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970217012142.006716a4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 20:21:42 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song Online Hmmm...8:20 PM on Sunday and *still* no Dial-A-Song in sight. :< This week's song better be *really* good...or maybe I should stop obsessing and reloading the DAS page every 10 seconds. Anyway...although I'm sure as soon as it's up, someone from the list'll post a message, but here's something worth checking out regardless.... http://www.micromat.com/mmcs/pagewatch/formpw.html Enter your e-mail address and the page you want the bot to "watch", and you'll be e-mailed as soon as that page is updated. I'm not sure how the lag between updates and receiving mail is, but I'm using it anyway... Well, ttyl! -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 23:22:17 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199702170422.XAA06985@quasar.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: TMBG:Nausea At the Philly show in October I had a similar nauseous experience. I jumped up and down a whole lot, and about half way through the concert, I felt like my right lung was going to burst. I had to leave my spot in the middle to go all the way to the back to get a soda. I drank half of it,somehow returned to my spot and found my friends, and felt a little better. There wasn't much cigarette smoking going on, so let's just say I felt giddy when I got home. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0n1y_R200iWm0H0Xw0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 23:46:21 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza/Nausea Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Feb-97 TMBG: Irving Plaza/Nausea by "Pooh Head Bucket?"@alph > Met Jen (KMSOG) at the Valentines' Day Massacare. Hi Jen. (wave) > I also got an excellent tape of the show. Balcony rocks. Woo. Could all the people who taped this show try to arrange something so that only one copy (presumably the best one) gets circulated? I've seen instances of this where there are two versions floating around and one is significantly different from the other... it would be nice to get some consistency in the bootleg industry. :) As far as I can tell, about 5 people taped it... eventually, everyone at every TMBG show is going to be taping it... :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3307F024.3A9@ou.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 23:44:04 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Sooooooo- My boyfriend who is a Garbage fan (go figure) says that someone left that list and is returning to this one!! Yea! It *is* a small world! I was just wondering who that was... heather ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702170630.AAA15504@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:25:31 -0600 ---------- > From: Heather Tinkler > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage > Date: Sunday, February 16, 1997 11:44 PM > > Sooooooo- > My boyfriend who is a Garbage fan (go figure) says that someone > left that list and is returning to this one!! Yea! > It *is* a small world! I was just wondering who that was... > > heather Heh.. one man's TMBG is another man's Garbage, and vice versa. Silly, silly, little sausage of a planet. Mike "Mister President, I'm afraid I have some bad news.. They Might Be Giants just broke up and will be entering our atmosphere within two days. The impact should eliminate most of civilization." Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:28:05 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Message-ID: > Sooooooo- > My boyfriend who is a Garbage fan (go figure) says that someone > left that list and is returning to this one!! Yea! > It *is* a small world! I was just wondering who that was... > So this person can only be on ONE list?!? That's an interesting concept, actually, considering how I am on lists for TMBG, the Connells, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Moby, Ben Folds Five, and Pavement at this time. Then again, that results in about 150 messages a day for me, but since I check e-mail every four hours or so, it's not that bad... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "A redder shade of neck, on a whiter shade of trash...." --Pavement ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-47 *****************************