Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-48 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 48 Tuesday, 18 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: about the survey TMBG: Tix to Australian gigs TMBG: Diskette TMBG: Oh... I forgot! Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage NON TMBG:Mailing List Awards...(poll) TMBG: Seymour, The Fractal Cat Re: TMBG: Diskette TMBG: ALERT: all things considered Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Re: TMBG: WANTED: tix to Kenyon Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" TMBG: EKAO, HARLAN LANDES, KIRSTEN BRODBECK, please read this. TMBG: TMBG dream/ trade for IP shows. Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" TMBG: BNL Multimedia TMBG: ATC Re: TMBG: Data/Audio CDs TMBG: NPR: ATC/TMBG/USAUSAUSA Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" TMBG: CARDS TMBG: Another Freaking Survey not reallt TMBG:re: BNL Multimedia TMBG: The UK Re: TMBG: CARDS TMBG: E-mail 101: Basic mailer skills & fashion tips RE: TMBG: DAS online? Re: not reallt TMBG:re: BNL Multimedia RE: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Re: TMBG: The UK Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered TMBG: Singer needed TMBG: James K. Polk Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) TMBG: npr Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) TMBG: NPR/Linnell Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) TMBG: They on NPR TMBG: uhhh, Linn, uhhh, LINN, err, nevermind TMBG: Waffler TMBG: JKP???! TMBG: arrgh! No JKP! TMBG: Letterman Re: TMBG: JKP???! Re: TMBG: Letterman Re: TMBG: Letterman Re: TMBG: Tix to Australian gigs Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered Re: TMBG: JKP???! TMBG: DLS again/Sherlock/another dream TMBG: Let it Be Re: TMBG: CARDS NON TMBG:Profiles and such TMBG: NPR TMBG: The Church of Lincoln... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 02:51:19 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: about the survey Message-ID: Well folks, this is your friendly neighborhood pollster here. I'm just posting to inform all of you that I still have yet to begin to compile the results of the survey. In fact, I've just spent the last twenty minutes going through the 108 surveys I have received to see if there are any repeats (those people who posted to the list and sent it to me just plain suck). As I said before, I'll probably pick at the surveys until next weekend, when I will settle down and finally compile the results. Sorry about the wait...and if you still have not filled out a survey, e-mail me and I will send you a copy of it. Thanks. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu Bill's House of Boots: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html "It's an island of such great complexity..." --Pavement (new album...I'm obsessed with it) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970217121753.009eb324@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:17:53 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Tix to Australian gigs So tell me... Who beat me in getting their TMBG tickets for the Metro in Sydney!? I was there just after the place opened and I ended up getting tickets 13 through to 16 for the Saturday night and ticket 3 for the Sunday!!! AH well, some diehard fans out there. So who has their tickets for the various Aussie gigs and who's travelling where? I think I'll be in Canberra aswell... Hmmm... Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:15:10 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Diskette Message-ID: You know, I wouldn't really mind the idea of taping computer disks all over myself if it was over CLOTHES. But maybe if we used medical gauze tape for the majority of the body and wore, like, underwear... I'm sorry. I have way too much spare time and nothing to do with it until tonight, when I have my first driver's ed class (hurray!!!) and since we have school off this week, I need to do some thinking about nudity and what I would be comfortable with showing, I am almost certainly going to be involved in a game of strip cards this week when my firends and I go to Washington DC. If anyone's in that area, you can come and hear my choir sing at the National Cathedral next Sunday at 10:30 AM. Wear something distinctive, please! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:20:04 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Oh... I forgot! Message-ID: Hey/hay, I forgot to tell those of you considering going to the Nat'l Cathdral next Sunday how to identify Yours Truly. In my choir, the way we're going to be set up is four rows of anywhere from 21 to 12 kids in a row. I will be on the top row, either first or second girl in from the right. This all depends on whether Katie learns her music- if she does not, I'll be on the top right-hand corner. If she does, in fact, learn what we're supposed to be singing I'll be the girl right next to the girl on th etop right-hand corner. I have long brown hair and blue eyes (unfortunately, Katie and I have that in common, so it doesn't really help much). Oh! Here's an easy way! From left to right, the top row will have five girls, then five boys, then another four boys, and then either four or five girls. If there are only four girls, I'll be the one on the corner. If there are five, I'll be the next-to-corner girl. If you stick around after the service, I might be able to talk for 30 seconds or so before I have to change out of the chafing dress I'll be in and get on the bus back to Michigan. It would be cool to *finally* meet some people on the list. And like I said before, wear somethign distinctive. Or you can stand at the back of the church holding up large signs that say, "HI ELITZA!! YOU SOUND GREAT! LOOK, THERE'S THE PRESIDENT!!" ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< In my CD player: Pulse of the Planet, a collection of sounds found naturally on the earth or in space. Included are "booming sands" "atmospheric whistlers" "echo of the Big Bang" and many others. It even includes a recording of a lava flow, tornado, Aeolian harp, and several tropical animals and birds. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33087E58.3A48@ou.edu> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:50:48 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Not Be Garbage Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > > Sooooooo- > > My boyfriend who is a Garbage fan (go figure) says that someone > > left that list and is returning to this one!! Yea! > > It *is* a small world! I was just wondering who that was... > > > So this person can only be on ONE list?!? That's an interesting concept, > actually, considering how I am on lists for TMBG, the Connells, Mighty > Mighty Bosstones, Moby, Ben Folds Five, and Pavement at this time. I don't really understand it, either.. (mine are TMBG, XTC, The Sugarplastics, and Geggy-Tah) but I think it's understandable... So who is it? It's driving me nutty!! heather *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "But can a man in a bearsuit get a hug from a stranger?!" -Letterman *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Then > again, that results in about 150 messages a day for me, but since I check > e-mail every four hours or so, it's not that bad... > > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu > > "A redder shade of neck, on a whiter shade of trash...." > --Pavement ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:52:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970217104555_1514323690@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON TMBG:Mailing List Awards...(poll) Hey guys/gals/???, I thought since Bill was taking his famous survey, I might take one too. Please send your responses only to YOEL97@AOL.COM, not the list. I will post the winners on my site end of Feb. --------- Most Educated on List:_______________(FEMALE) _______________(MALE) ~~ Most Educated about TMBG on List:_______________(FEMALE) _______________(MALE) ~~ Nicest on List:_______________(FEMALE) _______________(MALE) ~~ Best to Trade With on List:_______________(FEMALE) _______________(MALE) ~~ Biggest TMBG fan on List:_______________(FEMALE) _______________(MALE) ~~ PLEASE DON'T PUT YOURSELF FOR ANY UNLESS YOU TRULY BELIEVE IT! Thanks, Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:54:43 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Seymour, The Fractal Cat Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... This is really for the Brits out there so anyone else might as well just delete it. On Wedensday Night at 11.30PM on Radio 4, that well known talky radio station (you might have heard of it) They are repeating a show called Seymour, The Fractal Cat. It's a rather groovy little show and is worth listenting to but I menetion it on the list because at one point in the series (I can't remember when) they use "Saphire Bullets of True Love" as part of the incidental music. OK, so it's not that interesting but never mind, I was surprised when I heard it, it's a good programme so listen to it anyway. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ Well done, you've found the hidden message, consider yourself rewarded. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970217165559.006747dc@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:55:59 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Diskette At 11:50 AM 02/17/97 -0500, you wrote: > >> >You know, I wouldn't really mind the idea of taping computer disks all >> >over myself if it was over CLOTHES. But maybe if we used medical gauze >> >tape for the majority of the body and wore, like, underwear... >> >> Where's the *fun* in *that*? >> >Think about the pain factor involved for a guy to have tape all over >his.... and then take it off! Of course some people enjoy pain... but I >know that I sure as hell don't! And it would hurt for a girl, too. >Underwear would just make the entire thing more bearable. > Ok...real solution. We all carry our computers with us, or hold a length of telephone cable, to signify our slavery to technology. Either that, or we wear green pants all the time. >> >have school off this week, I need to do some thinking about nudity and >> >what I would be comfortable with showing, I am almost certainly >> >going to be involved in a game of strip cards this week when my firends >> >and I go to Washington DC. If anyone's in that area, you can come and hear >> >my choir sing at the National Cathedral next Sunday at 10:30 AM. Wear >> >something distinctive, please! >> >> Hmmm..... >> >Now what's that supposed to mean! Not like the computer disk thing, but >something easily recognizable. Or carry a sign: > "HI ELITZA!!! YOU SOUND AWESOME! LOOK THERE'S THE PRESIDENT!!" >*and* do the computer disks. But I'm sure that the staff of the cathdral >wouldn't like that too much. > Does Christianity have special rules about adorning yourself with firmware? Zink "I want to be as zany as Mike Farrel, but i don't have the inspiration." * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:57:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970217104312_-838495186@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered Hey: I cant remember if this was mentioned in any of the IrvPlaza rundowns, but in any case it merits a special announcement. They will be on NPR's All Things Considered TODAY doing a "revised" version of James K. Polk to celebrate president's day. I know that All Things Cons. comes on in NYC at 4pm -- and that may be the national slot. check your local NPR schedule. I hope to catch it on tape. will post results either way. It's a revised version b/c it was pointed out by the "NPR guy" that the song contained historical inaccuracy(ies) , ie JKP didnt build an independent treasury, he reinstituted one. Linnell on friday night: "we were censored by the man." keep your fingers crossed for a good interview. -- (one of the) jen(s) "and the world screams:" kmsog@aol.com ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Message-Id: Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:08:18 +0000 () On Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:51:34 -0500 (EST) sPyDiiR wrote: > Did anyone else pick up on the line in "32 Footsteps" that reads "32 new > moon shining in 32 skies?" Um, last I checked, new moons are the absence > of a moon--therefore they don't shine! Cool, huh? Well, perhaps they shine on the other side and the only people who are able to see them are people on distant planets and perhaps the Johns know something we don't.......... chrissy x > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:11:48 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: Re: TMBG: WANTED: tix to Kenyon Message-ID: > I am writing asking if anyone knows someone at Kenyon > who might be able to get **2 tickets** for Their show You took the words right out of my mouth...er, hands...er, whatever. Anyhow, I have people from out of the country (namely Mike Rose and Alex "Mr. Klaw") coming and we were hoping to go to that show. So if we could get tickets, we would be forever grateful. Also, it would be even better for me, because I now can't go to the Ypsilanti show due to a car accident I got in yesterday. (I'm fine, car's not though. I hate snow.) So anyway, email me if you are from or know someone from Kenyon College. Cursing snow, Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top. -- English Professor, Ohio University ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:16:36 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Message-id: I don't know. Is a new moon a worldly event or does it just happen on one side of the world? Although you are correct in assuming the Johns more 'n' likely know lots more than the ordinary human mind is capable of comprehending. Heh heh heh. sPyDiiR On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, C M Stanger wrote: > > On Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:51:34 -0500 (EST) sPyDiiR > wrote: > > > Did anyone else pick up on the line in "32 Footsteps" that reads "32 new > > moon shining in 32 skies?" Um, last I checked, new moons are the absence > > of a moon--therefore they don't shine! Cool, huh? > > Well, perhaps they shine on the other side and the only people who are able to see them are people on distant planets > and perhaps the Johns know something we don't.......... > chrissy x > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960217171459.006ba0fc@mail.vt.edu> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:14:59 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: EKAO, HARLAN LANDES, KIRSTEN BRODBECK, please read this. Attn to the following: ekao Harlan Landes Kirsten Brodbeck Anybody else who's mailed me recently I just had a traumatic Eudora failure that ate all my mail from the past six months. Please mail me again, because I don't have your addresses and I lost your messages! * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG dream/ trade for IP shows. Message-ID: <19970217.105549.13654.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:57:09 EST I had a strange TMBG dream i thought i'd share: IT was after Their concert here (Denver on january2) and i went into the alley behing the theater They played at (this all really happened after the concert) but in this dream i saw Flans driving a white van with linnel in shotgun. well i hopped on to the rear bumper of the van and somehow was hanging on quite well... They didn't even notice i was there and continued to drive for a really long time well i started hitting the back of the car trying to get Their attention when they pull into this little rest area that is in teh middle of some desert and Flans hops out of the car and starts cussing me out for ruining his car. At this point he hops in the car and starts yelling at Linnell. Then They go hauling out of the rest area and next thing i know Linnell was being pushed out of the van by Flans. All i remember after that was Linnell having landed on his arm and saying over and over, "Without my arm I'm nothing. Flans has Monopuff he doesn't need me." I tried to tell him that even if his arm didn't get better he always had his vocals but he just sat there and repeated himself over and over!!! strange dream huh? Has anyone taped the past two IP shows that is also planning on taping the next one???? I really want a copy and would be willing to trade from what little i have to trade or even pay for a copy of all three shows. please e-mail me privately and we can set up a deal. thanks! Random question of the day: has the song 'Cupid' ever been released???? No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:23:02 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Message-ID: Actually, you can see the new moon, as I recently learned, you just have to look harder for it! In the new moon phase, the side of the moon facing earth is dimly lit by what is called earthshine, which is reflected sunlight from this planet to the moon =) E. Kao > Did anyone else pick up on the line in "32 Footsteps" that reads "32 new > moon shining in 32 skies?" Um, last I checked, new moons are the absence > of a moon--therefore they don't shine! Cool, huh? > > <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> It really was about driving: Not fame, not wealth, not driving away From myself Except my myself drove away from me And now I gotta get it back and it goes So fast So I am travelling, again... <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960217183800.0067133c@mail.vt.edu> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:38:00 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: BNL Multimedia >The Squirrel Nut Zipper's new CD Hot has a multimedia part to it in >addition to their songs. It is incredible! So does the Barenaked Ladies CD, "Born On a Pirate Ship." Sublime indeed. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970217133818.006e6828@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:38:18 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: ATC At 11:57 AM 2/17/97 -0500, Kmsog@aol.com wrote: >They will be on NPR's All Things Considered TODAY doing a "revised" version >of James K. Polk to celebrate president's day. I know that All Things Cons. >comes on in NYC at 4pm -- and that may be the national slot. check your >local NPR schedule. I hope to catch it on tape. will post results either >way. Hopefully thiss one will be available on real audio. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702171847.NAA11707@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:47:33 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: TMBG: Data/Audio CDs ** Reply to note from mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:07:09 -0500 (EST) > The Squirrel Nut Zipper's new CD Hot has a multimedia part to it in > addition to their songs. It is incredible! They have info about the I have been meaning to get that one anyway, since the only other thing I have from them is "The Inevitable" (signed by drummer). Yet another item on my List of Things to Get When I Have Money Again. I've been sticking my music CDs into my computer to see if there's anything hidden on them. :) (Currently in CD changer: TMBG {Apollo 18, John Henry, Misc. T} Last in computer: Donna the Buffalo {The Ones You Love}) =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [ ] ^= Evolution in progress! [ ] This is the last song; [ ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [ ] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702171911.NAA07035@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NPR: ATC/TMBG/USAUSAUSA Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:06:22 -0600 Meanwhile, as I am listening to James K..... This NPR thinger... is there a realaudio site for all things considered, or not? I suppose I'll have to dust off the ol' radio and fix up the antenna... :( Mike "No Kitchen of the Future, No Downloadable NPR" Leffel Leader of the Disillusioned and Confused maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:13:17 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: comment on "32 Footsteps" Message-ID: Hey/hay, Does anyone else remember an incredible zoomed shot of the half-moon in Atlanta during the Olympics? You could actually see the outer, darkened edge of the moon. Pretty cool. The zoom was SO extreme, though, like along the lies of the first shot of the last Star Trek movie, where you start from Picard's eye and go to the outside of the Borg ship. Pretty cool. ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Ellen Kao wrote: > Actually, you can see the new moon, as I recently learned, you just have > to look harder for it! In the new moon phase, the side of the moon facing > earth is dimly lit by what is called earthshine, which is reflected > sunlight from this planet to the moon =) > E. Kao ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702171940.TAA03575@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:42:21 +0000 Subject: TMBG: CARDS Evan Chakroff said something about TMBG cards on Feb 16. Um, what? Like trading cards or something? What is this. I also think the quiz would be a verey bad idea, and anyway what sort of attitude would this project? Oh no you cn't join this list because wee wwant you to do a quiz. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:04:46 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: Another Freaking Survey Hiya Listies! Have a good weekend? (IP attendees, don't even say a word.) Here's a survey of my own for you to fill out. Please send the responses to me (and only me) at mousegirl@usa.net. Take care. Name: E-mail: List awards Most Entertaining Lister: (Female) (Male) Wierdest Lister: (FEMALE) (MALE) Most Annoying Lister: Best Thread: Thread You'd Most like Never To See Again: Have you ever had a TMBG dream? TMBG QUESTIONS Fave John:__ a)Linny b)Flansy c)How dare you even ask If (God forbid) TMBG went their separate ways, you would:__ a)live with it b)actually get a life c)swear never to listen to Mono Puff in protest d)mourn forever e)other____________________________________ f) all the above If either of the Johns hit you up for a night of cheap, tawdry sex, would you do it? (Him, whatever?)_____ a) That's only the sort of thing I've prayed for constantly. b) What do I look like, a groupie? c) Don't even go there. Is this a stupid survey? __ a)yes b)no Thanx! mouse ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:35:56 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: not reallt TMBG:re: BNL Multimedia Message-Id: On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Mr. Horrible wrote: > >The Squirrel Nut Zipper's new CD Hot has a multimedia part to it in > >addition to their songs. It is incredible! > > So does the Barenaked Ladies CD, "Born On a Pirate Ship." Sublime indeed. > I have this BNL cd, but my computer doesn't acknowldge any multimedia part. What is wrong? does it only work on Macs? Jamal ------------------------------ From: Kris Stewart Subject: TMBG: The UK Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:47:00 +0000 Message-ID: <33093488@smtpgate.pearson-pro.com> Around early December, twenty thousand million of you told me that They would be in London (that's London, England) in March. Well, it's less than two weeks till March..... They're not coming, are they?????:( In my cd player at the moment - "the best...album in the world...ever!" volume 2 **************************************************************************** ************************************* Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go? **************************************************************************** ************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970217155412.0069c134@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:54:12 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS At 07:42 PM 2/17/97 +0000, Nyaralathotep wrote: >Evan Chakroff said something about TMBG cards on Feb 16. > >Um, what? Like trading cards or something? What is this. They are a figure of the collective imagination of listees. I said something first, like someone's survey looked like stuff on the back of a trading card, then Mike Leffel (Sp?) followed up with a bunch of imaginary TMBG cards. Fun! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702172105.QAA15917@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:05:31 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: TMBG: E-mail 101: Basic mailer skills & fashion tips Addressed to: "The Mouse O'OKC" tmbg-list@tmbg.org ** Reply to note from "The Mouse O'OKC" Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:04:46 > Have a good weekend? (IP attendees, don't even say a word.) Here's a survey of my own for you to fill out. Please send the responses to me (and only me) at mousegirl@usa.net. Take care. [The above line is 189 characters long.] > Most Annoying Lister: Anyone who posts in HTML, closely followed by those who post every paragraph as one long line. (Perhaps they're not even aware of it?) Please, people... we don't all use the same software as you; try to make our lives just a tiny bit easier by taking 32 seconds to set yours up properly. *** You may now vote for Yours Truly as Most Annoying; if elected I promise to raise taxes and cut benefits across the board. And now, some cheese with my whine, =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [ ] ^= Evolution in progress! [ ] This is the last song; [ ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [ ] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [= ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: DAS online? Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:08:17 -0800 >---------- >From: Jonah[SMTP:smiley42@baka.com] >Sent: Sunday, February 16, 1997 5:29 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: DAS online? > >And for conert identification pre-OMLT, how about we take huge signs >that say "TMBG-LIST" and staple them to shirts? Instant OMLT! And we >should get slightly less strange looks than we would nude/with a peice >of masking tape stuck to the back of our heads/ carrying brooms. Though >I kind of like the old, way pre-OMLT, idea of bringing brooms to >concerts. Goodbye. I just had to stretch out that post to justify my new >slightly too long sig. Bah! We should all bring Brooms and light them on fire when they start the "I Am Not Your Broom" song! (: Jesse, Fire! Fire-fire! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702172113.PAA03378@dfw-ix16.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: not reallt TMBG:re: BNL Multimedia Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:10:52 -0800 The BNL CD works on my Windows95 computer.... you have to put the CD in then close any kind of autoplay CD players, then open up some kind of Windows Explorer or Windows file manager, then go to the CDROM and run a program thats on the CD to access the stuff.... there is a pretty hilarious video on there that made me crack up, one of the guys in the band is trying to make a spark on a doorknob and it just made me laugh. ---------- > From: J, the Mysterious > To: Mr. Horrible > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: not reallt TMBG:re: BNL Multimedia > Date: Monday, February 17, 1997 12:35 PM > > On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Mr. Horrible wrote: > > > >The Squirrel Nut Zipper's new CD Hot has a multimedia part to it in > > >addition to their songs. It is incredible! > > > > So does the Barenaked Ladies CD, "Born On a Pirate Ship." Sublime indeed. > > > I have this BNL cd, but my computer doesn't acknowldge any multimedia > part. What is wrong? does it only work on Macs? > > Jamal ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:25:33 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Honey Bunny' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Sunday, February 16, 1997 1:59 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: I AM NOT YOUR BROOM at Irving P!!!!! > >On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, David Bryan wrote: > >> > I woulnd't expect IANYB to be on an album, but you never know :) >> >> It could work as a secret track, like Token Back to Brooklyn on FS. > >Not on my CD player. :( It works on most Sony Discmen (mans?). (: Jesse, (empty sig) > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:33:21 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: The UK Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Kris Stewart wrote: > > Around early December, twenty thousand million of you told me that They > would be in London (that's London, England) in March. > Well, it's less than two weeks till March..... > They're not coming, are they?????:( In two words, probably not, looking at TMBG.com, they are booked up for March performing in Australia, Japan and some more American dates. It is worth remembering that FS still hasn't been released here yet and they are unlikely to tour until then (No point promoting an album that's not out yet) Unfortunately it is not worth checking tmbg.com for this date as they're still claiming that it's going to be out in the New year 1997 which also past as by a few weeks ago. I'll stick my neck out and say they'll be here in the summer June/July but that is based on no facts whatsoever and is a pure guess. That's it, stop reading now. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 17:33 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered >They will be on NPR's All Things Considered TODAY doing a "revised" version >of James K. Polk to celebrate president's day. Doh! I missed it. I knew I should've checked my email sooner. Anybody tape it? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:39:18 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <3308DE16.3823@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Singer needed Hey All, first of all, there are a few updates at the Nutra Sweet Pixie Sticks Page at http://members.tripod.com/~Jeremyly/index.html for the few who care. Now, what I wanted to talk about are the songs I'm doing for the TMBG cover comp. I'm going to do When Tornadoes take over the world. The only problem is that I'm not a great singer. I was just going to get a reasonable vocal line, but then I thought "why not have a TMBG fan who is a decent singer sing the vocal line?" So I decided that I'd have ppl send me wavs of the vocal lines for WTTOTW and maybe #3 as well. If anyone wants to participate, mail mme a wav of you singing the song. It will be at the exact same tempo as the .wav on DAS online, so it shouldn't be incredibly hard for me to dub it in w/my multitrack. If I actually get any applications, they will be judged on the singers ability and the quality of the recording. well, that's it Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970217175223.0069daf0@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:52:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk I waited two hours for *that*!?!? J/K it was worth it, and I taped it, and they had an accordian! Why would they have the accordian for this instead of the keyboard? (Oh yeah, it's that small hole they have to crawl through to get to the studio! The keyboard wont fit!) The best part was the instrumental JKP right afterwards. (Thought it was we're the replacements at first!) PS I'll trade it for any of the IP shows! hehehe... -ec -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702172257.RAA04409@norwich.valley.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:00:14 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered Well, There was no interview,. There was a tribute to all the lesser known presidents, and they played for JKP. Two lines were changed: "James Buchanan a waffler" "Restored the indipendant tresury" I got a tape if anyone wants it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Currently in the imaginary 8-cd changer: XTC: Skylarking*Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol*Monopuff: Unsupervised Meat Puppets: Too High to Die*Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes* Green Day:Kerplunk*Offspring: Smash*Coyote Shivers: Coyote Shivers Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3308AC0D.6E58@baka.com> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:05:49 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) I just heard them play James K. Polk on NPR. Not all of it, unfortunately, I was upstairs listening to my new BNL CD when my little brother called me and said "Jonah, they're playing James K. Polk on Public Radio!" I said "oh yeah I knew that and ran downstairs ontime to catch the second half. It wasthe Istanbul single version, I think, and was defenitely not the FS version. Yay! No annoying singing saw! Afterwords, the guy said that that was a song by the rock band they might be giants honoring lesser-known president James K. Polk. And, irritatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name Linn-ELL(rhymes with chanel), pissing off all TMBG fans listening. In their segue into their next section they had some instrumental version of James K. Polk, possibly played by their band or something. I hope I can get the first half in real audio, 'cause I don't remember if the lyrics were changed for accuracy like someone said. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the nightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 18:01 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: npr Please disregard my previous message. I didn't miss it, after all! It wasn't anything spectacular, just a different version of the song. Did it sound to anyone else like Flans was singing it, though? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:27:51 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) Message-ID: > And, > irritatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name Linn-ELL(rhymes > with chanel), pissing off all TMBG fans listening. Pardon me, but isn't that how you say it? I mean, how SHOULD you say it? Everything I've ever heard, they've pronounced it just like that. > "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? > And where are the nightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, > Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, > Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" > - Walt Kelly > "Resolve then that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us." - Walt Kelly (made to be quoted, he was) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702172344.AA05374@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: NPR/Linnell Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:44:03 -0500 (EST) To Josh, The NPR guy was correct in saying Linn-ELL, that is how his name is pronounced. LINN-ell is not the right way. Was this a full blown NPR interview or did they only play JKP? I missed it foolishly because I forgot to listen, anyone tape it perhaps? bye, Matt (listening to Marc Almond's Tenement Symphony) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:44:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970217184445_1016186531@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) > irritatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name Linn-ELL(rhymes > with chanel), pissing off all TMBG fans listening. Pardon me, but isn't that how you say it? I mean, how SHOULD you say it? Everything I've ever heard, they've pronounced it just like that. >> Yup, even he pronounces it that way! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 18:49:04 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: They on NPR Message-Id: <970217.185054.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hey all! today i got into my car after work and to my great happiness, They were on the radio. i thought at first it was the local college radio station, but then i noticed that it was our NPR affiliate (official U station). They were doing "james k. polk" live from one of the NY studios for the president's day feature on all things considered. it was butt-neat!! i did not, of couse, tape it, though (as i was in my car). :( anyway, happy prezy day! :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3308BF87.566C@baka.com> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:28:55 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: uhhh, Linn, uhhh, LINN, err, nevermind To the people who told me I was wrong and the guy didn't actually mispronounce linnel's name: Sorry. I don't think I've ever actually heard a "professional" pronounce linnell's name, and I, for some deep subconcious psychological reason, always assumed it was pronounced LINN-ell(kinda like linen, the fabric, only with an l sound at the end) as opposed to the apparently correct lin-ELL(lin as in lint, then elle as in french for she). Well, this is coming from someone who has had serious confusion between Sonny Bono(Cher's ex-husband)'s pronounciation of his last name and that of Bono of U2's pronounciation of the same name. What's weird is that I'm sure Flans must have said Linnell's name in the concert I went to a few years ago, and it didn't register. Ah well. never mind. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the knightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah, who can pronounce his own name ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702180057.TAA09742@norwich.valley.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:59:44 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Waffler I've seen about four people on the list ask for tapes, and yet I've openly offered them. If you want a tape of the JKP on NPR, then tell me, and we can work something out. I alos have other stuff, if you want it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Currently in the imaginary 8-cd changer: XTC: Skylarking*Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol*Monopuff: Unsupervised Meat Puppets: Too High to Die*Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes* Green Day:Kerplunk*Offspring: Smash*Coyote Shivers: Coyote Shivers Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:02:07 -0600 (CST) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: JKP???! Message-ID: I just listened to the _entire_ ATC show, and JKP was _never_ on!!! What's the deal? Everyone else on the list seems to have heard it, though. How far into the show was it? Do they play a different show in the Midwest or what? (Sorry, I'm just very frustrated.) -Kylee ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:12:29 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: arrgh! No JKP! Message-ID: OK, people who heard JKP on ATC on NPR (tee hee): tell me, was it on at the end? 'Cause my friend and I taped the first hour and listened to the second, and we never heard it. We are convinced that the NPR station out of Omaha cut the end of the program off. That is just so freakin' fitting that the rest of the country got to hear it, and we out in Nebraska, of course, did not (up until the tour with Hootie, TMBG had never played in Nebraska and, I'm willing to bet, will probably never return, so it just fits somehow). Grrrrrrrrr. Oh well. Sighing at the cracks in the ceiling, --Tara ****Currently in the CD player: Superchunk--Here's Where The Strings Come In. Lying around the general vicinity of my CD player: Ben Folds Five; Phish--A Picture of Nectar; cub--Box of Hair; Ella Fitzgerald--Best of the Song Books (well, that last one's a tape, actually). -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:49:52 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Letterman Message-ID: I'll be attending the taping of tommorow's Late Show with David Letterman...so if you happen to be watching the show tommorownight (tuesday), and you see a guy in the audience wearing a tmbg hat, thats me :) -tdk ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970217211450.006ea820@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:14:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP???! At 07:02 PM 2/17/97 -0600, Little Woman From Another Place wrote: >I just listened to the _entire_ ATC show, and JKP was _never_ on!!! What's >the deal? Everyone else on the list seems to have heard it, though. How >far into the show was it? Do they play a different show in the Midwest >or what? > It was on about 10 minutes till 6 (EST) I'm in Ohio, for whatever that's worth. Anyone wanna trade for that little piece of They? My copy has a Special Bonus!!! Columbus, OH Traffic reports!! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970217211636.006e9dfc@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:16:36 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Letterman At 08:49 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote: >I'll be attending the taping of tommorow's Late Show with David >Letterman...so if you happen to be watching the show tommorownight (tuesday), >and you see a guy in the audience wearing a tmbg hat, thats me :) > > Once i saw a guy wearing a tmbg shirt in the front row of some late night program (I think it was Conan, might have been letterman or leno). Anyway... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:38:37 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Letterman Message-Id: On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > I'll be attending the taping of tommorow's Late Show with David > Letterman...so if you happen to be watching the show tommorownight (tuesday), > and you see a guy in the audience wearing a tmbg hat, thats me :) > > > -tdk > > Cool! You ought to do something like really odd, like tape a big computer disk to your forehead or something. Hehehe...:) Anyhow, have a good time, and make yourself noticable! I'll be watching! Tarnished Silence 210 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702180223.NAA13372@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: Re: TMBG: Tix to Australian gigs Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:23:03 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Very Fruity Indeed...... > So tell me... Who beat me in getting their TMBG tickets for the Metro in > Sydney!? I was there just after the place opened and I ended up getting > tickets 13 through to 16 for the Saturday night and ticket 3 for the > Sunday!!! AH well, some diehard fans out there. > So who has their tickets for the various Aussie gigs and who's travelling > where? I think I'll be in Canberra aswell... Hmmm... i think my wonderful friend jeremy might have beat you there. i conned him into spending the last morning of his honeymoon there. (his now wife had to be in sydney at some unearthly hour of the morning anyway). he told me that he was the second person there before it opened, and the guy in front of him was getting tickets for somethign else anyway. i haven't got tickets for canberra yet, have you? i have been informed by a canberrean that tickets for shows at the anu are normally only sold at the anu itself, or impact records (a cd shop down there), but i haven't sussed this out fully yet. tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org I want to stand so still that I can feel The earth moving beneath my feet And from this position I will rise Right on -Custard ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:37:48 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) Message-ID: > I just heard them play James K. Polk on NPR. Not all of it, Which I missed. The sacrifices made to the great Driver's Ed goddess. > was defenitely not the FS version. Yay! No annoying singing saw! I think it adds a nice touch, personally. > irritatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name Linn-ELL(rhymes > with chanel), pissing off all TMBG fans listening. In their segue into That's how I pronounce it. Didn't we already do this thread? I think so. Let's not do it again, please... It wouldn't have pissed me off had I heard it. I bet it didn't really piss off many other OML fans out there either. Elitza ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:12:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970217221217_-1608630321@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: ALERT: all things considered hi giant-philes: after posting it and all, I too missed it, not catching it on a 120 minute tape. oh well. but I think Ive discovered that past episodes of ATC -- NPR are available via RealAudio at the following: http://www.realaudio.com/contentp/npr/atc_index.html if someone tries and it works, let me know. (I keep failing with realaudio, but this Might Be my incentive to try again.) -- this jen/kmsog "if it wasnt for disappointment, I wouldnt have any appointments." ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 22:31 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP???! >It was on about 10 minutes till 6 (EST) >I'm in Ohio, for whatever that's worth. That's about when it was on here in Michigan, too. There was a whole bunch of stuff about somewhat neglected presidents. If anyone wants a tape of this, I have an offer: I'll trade a tape with this and the Mono Puff NPR interview on it for something cool. Email me if you're interested. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702180342.VAA10591@hp-165.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: DLS again/Sherlock/another dream Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:42:55 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hola! DLS Again: Nicole the Wonder Nerd said in passing: > (and PLEASE don't let's start it again...) For some reason, when I saw this, I immediately thought of Chubby Checker and his song "Let's Twist Again" or whatever he called his redo of The Twist. Don't let's start again Like we did last summer That was the worst part So don't let's start again Sherlock: The other day I decide to re-read "Sherlock Holmes in Orbit", a book with science-fictional and fantastical type stories about SH. Anyway, in the intro it says: "Even the movies, which have long been in love with Holmes, found a way to produce a gentle fantasy about him in James Goldman's brilliany "Thet Might Be Giants"..." Now my question is this (for those who have seen the movie) is this true? Is the movie about SH or what? That would be cool if there was some connnection between TMBG and SH. (Not to mention it was quite weird reading that in the intro). Another Dream: This one happened a few days ago. I was at home (in the dream) and one of my friends asked me if I was going to see Them when they came. I didn't know that they were coming anytime soon, so I said yes and immediately jumped on my bike to go get tickets. I got to the store where they were selling tickets and got two tickets (I don't know who the other one was for). I was leaving the store and noticed that they only said "They Might Be Giants" and nothing else. No date, no venue. Then I woke up. I am guessing that these were magic tickets that could have been used at any show. Too bad I don't have them, or else I would be on my way to IP this weekend. Oh well. Aaron, who still can't get over the fact he met Bruce Campbell last week CDs rotating thru my backpack for when I do computing type stuff: TMBG- JH & Lincoln, Fun Lovin' Criminals- Come Find Yourself, Devo - Q & A, Poe - Hello, No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom, SNZ- Inevitable, Mojo Nixon - Whereabouts Unknown, Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation..., Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Sublime - Sublime, Portishead - Dummy, Ruby - Salt Peter(Remixed), and many more -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck Where is my Pathetica? Oh ya, http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~bonneya/path.html ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:47:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970217224717_917046239@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Let it Be Could someone who taped the Let it Be instore please E-mail me. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702180409.WAA17693@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:10:01 -0600 ---------- > From: Nyaralathotep > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: CARDS > Date: Monday, February 17, 1997 1:42 PM > > Evan Chakroff said something about TMBG cards on Feb 16. > > Um, what? Like trading cards or something? What is this. They're very special items of currency that you recieve after a small period of time spent working with the Secret Service. Five Schermerhorns' equal half a John, A John equals a John, A special Full Band card equals a Pig or Chicken, etc, etc. For example, if you go to the market and you wish to purchase a stereo system, and all you have is a couple of "TMBG plays my neighborhood cards, you'd say, "I'll trade you a Neighborhood for that stereo and I'd like eight variant Johns in exchange". Technically, when the Apocalypse comes, only those with TMBG cards will be able to purchase anything. Unless of course, you have a stick with a nail in it. This, by the way, doesn't apply if you lack knowlege of the Constant TMBG Exchange Ratio. You'd look like quite the fool if you tried to trade a "Amanda Homi" card for some toast. Toast requires AT LEAST five Maby's. See, toast is important. Mike "I'm certainly amusing myself" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33092B1B.32C4@trib.infi.net> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:07:55 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: NON TMBG:Profiles and such Hi listies who chose to read this, I would like to make a request to those who post things like profiles, and insisde jokes and the related sort, would you mind putting NON TMBG: in the subject of your messages? I would appreciate it, and it would save me a lot of time. Thank you. Matthew Ondrey :) Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:40:13 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: NPR Message-id: <01IFJCW1TQW2IDRE7N@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network they might be giants performed james k polk live on NPR around 6.oo eastern time PM!!!!!!!!!it was in celebration of presidents day and undercelebrated presidetnerr presidents!!!! wow it was awesome....they sounded great.... it was weird sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:50:32 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: The Church of Lincoln... Message-Id: Greetings! I'm in my college's library right now, and I just went to get a drink and noticed a art display, with a photograph of a church/courthouse that looks exactly like the one on the cover of Lincoln. Anyone know exactly where that was taken? (where they did the photo shoot?) Thanks! Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-48 *****************************