Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-49 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 49 Wednesday, 19 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Setlists/insanity (none) TMBG: Aus tix TMBG: Re: TMBG: John Sid Linnell TMBG: tmbgirl's dream TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation TMBG: I'm having a good day, anyone want Back to Skull? TMBG: Cards Re: TMBG: Sherlock TMBG: various TMBG: Pronunciation of Linnell Re: TMBG: Cards TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-48 Re: TMBG: Cards TMBG: MouseWorld Linx TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 2 (now available) TMBG: Cards Ahoy! TMBG: TMGB:help-please! Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation TMBG: Im going to the irving plaza show. TMBG: Re: Linnell Pronunciation TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? TMBG: CROWDSURFING CARD TRADE Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? TMBG: re: npr atc jkp, letterman, linnell, lincoln, la la la... TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: Profile TMBG: Boycott MTV TMBG: Then: sampler... TMBG: Greek #3 Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff TMBG: Canberra (Aust) concert Re: TMBG: The UK TMBG: Sorry. More cards. RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: CARDS TMBG: WOOGA! TMBG: Concert Update TMBG: Re: [nothing] TMBG: Re: The UK Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation TMBG: CARDS Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV TMBG: no talking, just head TMBG: aussie cards TMBG: More trading cards Re: TMBG: CARDS Re: TMBG: Sorry. More cards. TMBG: CD's Re: TMBG: no talking, just head TMBG: trading cards TMBG: CT and 2/21, SSS, Cards TMBG: Misinterpreted TMBG Lyrics Re: TMBG: no talking, just head Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: Concert Update Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: Concert Update Re: TMBG: no talking, just head Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff Re: TMBG: CARDS TMBG: NON TMBG!!!: GARBAGE Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) TMBG: Clarification on TCNJ concert TMBG: Those Blasted TMBG CARDS NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... Re: TMBG: no talking, just head TMBG: Edison.wav Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 02:51:39 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Setlists/insanity Message-ID: Joe wrote: > The last time I went to a TMBG concert, I really wanted a setlist, but I > had no idea how to get one. I don't want to make the same mistake > again. Any suggestions on the best way to get one? I got one last December by walking up to the security guard, giving him a big smile, and motioning him over to me. He ignored everyone else and came over to me, and I asked for a set list. He got one, and again ignored everyone else and gave it to me. :) Then Matt wrote: > Offer to have sex with the bouncer. ;) Well, I haven't tried this approach. How well does it work Matt? :) Mike and Evan have been saying: > ooooh... Official Trading Cards of They Might Be Giants.. > > My most valuable TMBG Cards: > "'Devil Went Down to Newport' Flansburgh" > "Limited Edition 'Tiny Toons' Flansburgh" > "Limited Edition 'Tiny Toons' Linnell" > and > Very rare XXX card... "Elekra Execs F**k Them Over" I'm now convinced that Mike and especially Evan are completely insane. I'm also jealous because I didn't come up with such a cool idea :) >> Um, what? Like trading cards or something? What is this. > > They're very special items of currency that you recieve after > a small period of time spent working with the Secret > Service. Five Schermerhorns' equal half a John, A John > equals a John, A special Full Band card equals a Pig or > Chicken, etc, etc. Ok so Mike's just as crazy. Anyhow....thanks to all of you who emailed me about my car accident....like I said, I wasn't hurt or anything. But, as I looked at my bumper lying on the snowy pavement, my first thought was "my TMBG bumper sticker!!! Oh no, I'll have to get a new one!" I have a double of card #189 "John Henry Kids" and I'm dying to trade it for card #59 "Nightmare Johns" Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Thinking about it is easier than doing it, but so far, I haven't even thought about it. -Ashleigh Brilliant. (this .sig brought to you by Michael Rose) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 03:32:52 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Message-ID: O.K. Could someone, or several someones email me and tell me what's up with "Then: the early years", :Superfeuled Freaksickle", if TMBG are ever coming to AZ and why John L. signed my CD "John L. SID"? Any info would really help... -Josh Hamilton jwh@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970218121025.007197d4@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:10:25 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Aus tix >> So tell me... Who beat me in getting their TMBG tickets for the Metro in >> Sydney!? I was there just after the place opened and I ended up getting >> tickets 13 through to 16 for the Saturday night and ticket 3 for the >> Sunday!!! AH well, some diehard fans out there. >> So who has their tickets for the various Aussie gigs and who's travelling >> where? I think I'll be in Canberra aswell... Hmmm... >i think my wonderful friend jeremy might have beat you there. i conned him >into spending the last morning of his honeymoon there. (his now wife had to >be in sydney at some unearthly hour of the morning anyway). he told me that >he was the second person there before it opened, and the guy in front of him >was getting tickets for somethign else anyway. hahahaha Now that;s funny!!! Well, I reckon some of the staff there got their tickets early anyway. What ticket numbers do you have? >i haven't got tickets for canberra yet, have you? i have been informed by a >canberrean that tickets for shows at the anu are normally only sold at the >anu itself, or impact records (a cd shop down there), but i haven't sussed >this out fully yet. Yeah, I might call ANU tomorrow and find out. Surely they could mail them to me if I paid by credit card, hey? Otherwise I may be going on a trip down there and buying a stack of tickets for listees!!! BYE!! Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: <19970218.075112.9878.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:50:46 EST On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 03:32:52 -0700 (MST) JWH writes: >O.K. Could someone, or several someones email me and tell me what's >up >with "Then: the early years", :Superfeuled Freaksickle", if TMBG are >ever >coming to AZ and why John L. signed my CD "John L. SID"? >Any info would really help... "Then: the early years" is scheduled to be in stores on March 25th. "Superfueled Freaksickle" has been temporarily put on hold, according to Linnell. John Linnell's middle name is Sidney, so for some reason, he signs autographs "John Sid". :) Jen --- the other one ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:56:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218075647_-804839886@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: John Sid Linnell I think it was Josh who asked why Linnell signed his CD "JOHN SID". Through some investigating, (even thugh others probably allready knew this), I found out that that's his middle name. Sidney. Verification, anyone? ~~ 2/21 IP: I'll be wearing a huge puffy green and black coat, be with my little sister, and parents. I will try to be there about 6:30. I will tape a computer disk to the front of my coat that says on the label: PRE-OMLT is thick black marker. I have decided against going nude only because it is NYC, and it is winter. Maybe in the summer in Orlando! :) (Just so everyone doesn't start questioning me, I do not know if there is a concert in Orlando. A little wishful thinking can't hurt) ~~ Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970218132119.006ec960@mail.vt.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:21:19 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: tmbgirl's dream >Flans hops out of the car and starts cussing me out for ruining his car. At >this point he hops in the car and starts yelling at Linnell. Yes, folks, Mr. Diamond Jack Flansburgh has obviously regained his superpowers! He can Sing Like a Girl, Leap From Moving Vehicles, and Bitch at the Speed of Light! The world is safe once again. >he just sat there and repeated himself over and over!!! Does he live with his mother? >strange dream huh? Nope. Yours is coherent enough to transcribe. There's a reason I'm not posting any of mine. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970218134709.006806e8@mail.vt.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:47:09 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation >LINN-ell(kinda like linen, the fabric, only with an l sound at the end) >as opposed to the apparently correct lin-ELL(lin as in lint, then elle >as in french for she). "Linnell" rhymes with "vinyl," and that's that. I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH! * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:12:44 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation Message-ID: > >LINN-ell(kinda like linen, the fabric, only with an l sound at the end) > >as opposed to the apparently correct lin-ELL(lin as in lint, then elle > >as in french for she). > > "Linnell" rhymes with "vinyl," and that's that. I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH! > I would agree with you except for two things: First, you;re wrong. Second, there's a double N in his name. If it was spelled "Linell" I would probably rhyme it with Vinyl as well, just on the gruonds that it looks right. There's probably also an obscure English grammar/pronunciation rule that applies here, jsut nobody knows about it. > * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) > * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html > * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702181408.OAA11172@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:11:05 +0000 Subject: TMBG: I'm having a good day, anyone want Back to Skull? Hey everyone its Jon Vile from London here who just wanted to tell you about an amazing Tower Records experience he just had: OK I go into the shop, go straight for the T section, asa usual just in case something was released in secret. No, nothing. I turn around, something catches my eye, a baargin bin. So in complete disregard for my own cred and knowing ddeep in my heart I would be disappionterd I go searching. Wow! I found Back to Skull and The Devil Went Down To Newport on CD. The Devil even has a sticker in it. That was very cool, and I felt so much better, even though I've alreaday got Back To Skull, so if any of you out there (I think I'm probably only taalking to the Brits because I'm a poor student and can't afford much postage) want trade for it or something then e-mail me now! Oh its such a good day I don''t even care if I've got a three hour lecture at 3pm. Oh, and it was me who originally said about the March thing, but that was because of an HMV guy who was obviously experiencing wishful thinking too. And another thing, if FS is released in March here and They is released in the US in March will we have to wqait forever for that too. Shall we find the people over here responisble for Electra's UK handling and beat them up or something until they relent. Just a thought. Yours, Jon ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702181456.AA16045@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Cards Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:56:38 -0500 (EST) Suppose you had that toast of yours precariously perched upon the nail on your stick. Then, suppose that you went down to the church of John the Divine and sacrificed it to the holy ones. Now if one of them came down, danced around you naked and gave you a birdhouse in your soul food, what exactly would you be able to trade this for? Perhaps some kind of sapphire bullet, one of pure love? -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33098C16.6F1D@baka.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:01:42 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Sherlock > to produce a gentle fantasy about him in James Goldman's brilliany "Thet > Might Be Giants"..." > Now my question is this (for those who have seen the movie) is this true? > Is the movie about SH or what? That would be cool if there was some > connnection between TMBG and SH. (Not to mention it was quite weird > reading that in the intro). Yes, sort of. It is about a paranoid delusional guy who believes that he is sherlock holmes and that everything that he is the target of a huge conspiracy centered around doctor moriarty. The phrase "They MIght Be Giants" comes as a Don Quixote reference in the movie. His psychiatrist says something along the lines of "you're just like Don Quixote! Wherever there's a windmill, you see a giant!"(heavily paraphrased) and he replies that it is foolish to believe that windmills ARE giants, but wise to admit that they MIGHT be giants. If I got anything wrong in that, it's because I saw that movie a long time ago. Please correct me. The movie is somewhat entertaining, though a bit corny. Seventies, seventies, seventies. Oh, bye the way, I'll be glad to trade my special limited edition holographic "John + John: Live and NUDE!" card for a "Superfueled Freaksicle is actually released" card. In the CD changer(if I had one): BNL: Gordon, REM: New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Phish: Hoist, XTC: Oranges and Lemons, Violent Femmes: Add it Up, and TMBG: John Henry. Only the BNL album is actually in my pathetic one-CD player at the moment. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the knightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah, who might be giants too ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702181505.AA16068@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: various Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:05:06 -0500 (EST) > O.K. Could someone, or several someones email me and tell me what's up > with "Then: the early years", :Superfeuled Freaksickle", if TMBG are ever > coming to AZ and why John L. signed my CD "John L. SID"? > Any info would really help... > -Josh Hamilton > jwh@tmbg.org Hey! It's gonna be 68 degrees tomorrow, whoo! I'm afraid that TMBG will never come to AZ again, you see they've banned the place. Then: The Early Years is slated for a March 25 release date I think. End of March sometime. Superfueled? Who knows, I doubt it will ever come out, it looks like they'll just release a new album instead, as they seem to be in the works with that (Rat Patrol, Counterfeit Faker, Reprehensible, all those, and they've even recorded them, heck they were part of the Factory Showroom sessions). I'm not exactly sure why he signed it "John L. SID", his middle name is Sidney, but it seems to be slightly out of order... As for trading sex with bouncers for setlists..well there was only that one time... byee Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:28:49 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Pronunciation of Linnell Message-ID: Wait....what IS the correct pronunciation of Linnell? Someone said Linn-ELL was incorrect.....so what is it? To think I've been mispronouncing it all these years....:( Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0n2QzYO00iWPE3fZ1w@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:51:00 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 TMBG: Cards by Matthew James@envy.loyol > food, what exactly would you be able to trade this for? Perhaps some > kind of sapphire bullet, one of pure love? You have the sapphire bullets card?!? I've been looking all over for that one. I'll trade the rare "Flans plays accordion as a joke" (original limited edition, black border) and "Linnell leaps from stage to crowdsurf" for it. Maybe I'll throw in a couple of "Triangle Man" cards as well. Does anyone have the "Purple Toupee" card? I need it to complete a set.. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:40:52 -0600 (CST) From: Scott Murry Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-48 Message-ID: Howdy! My E-mail server died the Thursday before Mardi Gras (for everyone who doesn't live in LouisiAna(Ng) Mardi Gras is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)! Anyway, I need help!!! If anyone else on the Digest (not List, my server can't handle that many messages) has copies of the Digest dating back to Febuary 2nd, could you PLEASE send them to me? They still haven't gotten my old server up, but I have a different account now, so I've lost all of my TMBG mail & stuff at least for the time being, and if anyone has mailed me in the last couple of weeks, I am not shunning you, I just didn't get the message. This paragraph is not TMBG related so feel free to skip it. I am apologizing in advance, but I have to let off some steam! I got the worst case of the flu I've ever had which devoloped into bronchitis, and after I totaled my car (liability only too) the Friday before last, my illness progressed into pneaumonia. To top it all off I got into a huge fight with my girlfriend. This has easily been the WORST week of my life! Sorry again for the previous paragraph, but this one IS TMBG related, really. I just had the wierdest feeling of TMBG Deja Vu! Until today I didn't know that FS had any hidden tracks, maybe because my E-mail server was down when you guys figured it out. Anyway, last Thursday and Friday I was in bed all day in a pneaumonia induced stupor, and at some point in between consciousness and oblivion I had a dream about listening to Lincoln and FS on my roommates CD player (I don't know why, I have my own, but this makes it even wierder because somebody in today's digest mentioned it showing up only on Sony's and computers, and my roommate's CD player is a Sony and mine isn't). Anyway, it got to the end of the CD, and all of a sudden there was another song, and I was thinking COOL, a hidden track! But then I woke up and said, "Nah, couldn't be." and now I find out that there is a hidden track, REALLY FREAKY, I must have ESPN or something! I do have one happy thing, I now finally have all Their albums, my mom bought Lincoln for me after getting her friend in New Orleans to call every music store in town to find it. The funny thing is, he called all of the giant music stores, and they were all sold out of Lincoln, even the two story Tower Records in the French Quarter had just sold the last copy. So as a last ditch effort, he calls Blockbuster of all places and they HAD IT! So that made my week(at least until I totaled my car and came down with pneaumonia). Anyway, if anybody has the Digests for the last two weeks, please send them to me! GGGGGGGG A N N DDDD A L FFFFFFF G A A NN N D D A A L F G A A N N N D D A A L F G GGG AAAAAAA N N N D D AAAAAAA L FFFFFF G G A A N N N D D A A L F G G A A N NN D D A A L F GGGGGGGG A A N N DDDD A A LLLLLLL F "The boy from LouisiAna(Ng)" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:28:34 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards Message-ID: > > You have the sapphire bullets card?!? I've been looking all over for > that one. I'll trade the rare "Flans plays accordion as a joke" > (original limited edition, black border) and "Linnell leaps from stage > to crowdsurf" for it. Maybe I'll throw in a couple of "Triangle Man" > cards as well. > I've got the limited-edition Cubist John L. and Impressionist John F. I'd trade them for #17 (John L. as a bag of groceries dated April 17, 1990), #35 (John F.'s face superimposed onto an image of a mass of incandescent gas), and #171 (both Johns lying on a railroad track at night watching the stars) > Does anyone have the "Purple Toupee" card? I need it to complete a set.. > I think so. Let me get back to you. Elitza (whose .sig appears only at the top of a letter) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:39:50 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: MouseWorld Linx Hi listies! First off, I'm sorta saying goodbye because I'm switching to digest. Secondly, I'm updating my MouseHouse Homepage in the next couple of days . I'd like to expand my list of links. If anyone has a homepage or knows of a site that you'd like me to link, please email me at mousegirl@usa.net or blooey@hotmail.com. (Please don't send them to the list or digest, 'kay?) love & huggies, mouse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702181746.LAA05539@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:40:02 -0600 ---------- First off, destroy this now if you're one of those who dislikes the Babble about the cards. Frankly, I find it cute, but then again I'm only 1/3rds Guatemalan Lizard. Secondly, If John Linnell's (Lin-ELL, LINN-el, Kal-El, Jell-O, Linds-BURGH) middle name is SIDNEY (SID-Neee, Si-DNEE, Sousa-PHONE, S'idn'EEE), I think that this enhances his Cool-O-Beano meter by a few points. IMHO. Now, for some blither.---> Evan used his maganamious lestororonicator twice, then replied to????: >>Um, what? Like trading cards or something? What is this. >They are a figure of the collective imagination of listees. I said >something first, like someone's survey looked like stuff on the back of a >trading card, then Mike Leffel (Sp?) followed up with a bunch of imaginary >TMBG cards. Fun! Shhh.. maybe if we pretend long enough, someone will steal the ideas and then, while we collect these cards and other memorabilia madly, we can be utterly disgruntled and pissed! :) Oooh, look.. (flips card over) Hugo Munday had three stolen bases! Lawrence P Solomon exchanged a meaningful glance with the floor, then wrote: > Does anyone have the "Purple Toupee" card? I need it to complete a set.. I have the "Purple Toupee/Gold lame'" flip card. It will turn your brain around. Matthew James teased the kindergarteners with this: >Suppose you had that toast of yours precariously perched upon the nail >on your stick. Then, suppose that you went down to the church of John >the Divine and sacrificed it to the holy ones. Now if one of them came >down, danced around you naked and gave you a birdhouse in your soul >food, what exactly would you be able to trade this for? Perhaps some >kind of sapphire bullet, one of pure love? (I laughed for some time at this! :) Matt, Matt.. If I was Following the John Angels, I would HAVE to throw my body off a building. Tara Lynne Weber yelled from her prison: >That is just so freakin' >fitting that the rest of the country got to hear it, and we out in >Nebraska, of course, did not (up until the tour with Hootie, TMBG had >never played in Nebraska and, I'm willing to bet, will probably never >return, so it just fits somehow). Grrrrrrrrr. YIPES! If they never return to the land of the Hills of Sand... well, who's gonna blame them! Did you see them when they Omaha-ized?? Did I miss much? And Amy Greenlese muttered madly, ignoing all rules of conduct in a toy store: >I'm now convinced that Mike and especially Evan are completely insane. >I'm also jealous because I didn't come up with such a cool idea :) Don't be jealous.. Here, have my "Fans get stomach trouble" action card. When you wiggle it, they all vomit! Look at the John's faces! Hee Hee! Mike "We must destroy Donna Donna at all costs" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 10:39:59 MST Message-Id: <9702181739.AA16928@hops> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 2 (now available) Hello all! I took the opportunity on yesterday's President's Day holiday to finish the TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 2 tape. Although some of the source material isn't the best, I have learned from the Vol. 1 experience to make what I feel is a better tape this time. Visit my web page or view the attached file for a list of what's on the new tape! ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== (codes removed for the HTML-impaired) Codes used: # - has onscreen "PLAY 52 X:XXPM MON JUN 7" corrupting image Code-----+ | Date V Time Show Songs -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ??/??/?? 02:35 Purple Toupee [video] ??/??/88 01:40 Record Guide #Lie Still, Little Bottle [live] 01:00 #dial-a-song, bike accident 02:00 #I'll Sink Manhattan [live/titles] 12/??/88 01:45 120 Minutes #Istanbul [live] 00:40 #dial-a-song plug 01:30 #Your Racist Friend [live] 02/??/89 03:05 Letterman #They'll Need a Crane 00:30 #[network TV debut] ??/??/?? 09:42 Elektra BRITISH FLOOD PROMO "Theme from Flood" plays as we see outside of Italian cafe. John & John sitting in a booth together, talk about Flood. Snippets from previous TMBG videos are shown. Inferior albums with 10 songs or less "Make us angry", say John and John. "We have put out a record with 19 songs!" Each song is introduced as a caption for each title comes up on the screen and the title section of each song is played. British TV appearance: Night Network TX March 3, 1989. They play an acoustic version of Particle Man. In the cafe, J and J sip coffee and listen to "Birdhouse" Flood flag waves over "Ships January 15 on Elektra" ??/??/?? 02:20 Post-Modern MTV Whistling in the Dark [live] ??/??/?? 02:00 Post-Modern MTV Maybe I Know [live] ??/??/?? 02:00 Post-Modern MTV Lucky Ball and Chain [live] 04/03/90 02:10 Tonight Show Birdhouse in Your Soul [/live] 01:50 Interview Jay Leno on "Flood" 01:30 Istanbul [live] 04/??/90 12:10 Request Video Interview w/Katy Manor of KROQ ??/??/92 10:40 Elektra BRITISH A18 PROMO "Integrity Project" song plays over slides of J & J in the studio. (They can't talk, because they're preparing for their world tour.) "The Statue Got Me High" video played. "Power Sphere" voice explains how the album A18 follows favourite TMBG themes (Nature, Human Relations, Personal Ambitions, and old favorite Death) accompanied by some funny animation. Voice explains about NASA space year. A spaceman made from plastic is dangled on a string to explain how TMBG can fill the current hole in the world's "Cultural Doughnut". The principle of Power Spheres (Melody, Fidelity, Quantity) is explained, showing how their power is harnessed by the music of TMBG. ??/??/91 02:16 JBTV Mammal [live] 03:21 When It Rains It Snows [live] 04:05 I Palindrome I [live] 03:40 Istanbul [live] 04/26/92 05:00 120 Minutes Interview w/Dave Kendall 02:00 She's Actual Size [live] ??/??/94 01:00 Jon Stewart Interview 03:30 Snail Shell [live] 01:00 Destination Moon [live/credits] 10/??/94 01:15 120 Minutes John & John guest hosts 03:10 Why Does The Sun Shine [live] 10/??/94 01:00 120 Minutes interview--John Henry ??/??/?? 03:15 Sound FX Interview: MMPR movie XTC trib 03:15 w/Karen Spy [live] 00:35 ?????? dial-a-song plug 00:40 Dirt Bike [live/instrumental] 05:30 Brian Dewan interview/Obedience School [live] 01:02 The Guitar [live over credits] 06/??/96 04:03 120 Minutes The Devil Went Down (MonoPuff) 11/06/96 04:35 Conan O'Brian S-E-X-X-Y [CC] ======================================== How To Order TMBG Video Bootleg Volumes: ======================================== Vol. 2 , containing 2 hours of material, is now ready. I don't think it's proper to get a profit from this project, as it is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions of many persons. In other words, my time is free. Just send me $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $10 other countries. That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage. Order two videos and get priority mail shipment free (in USA)! This is for regular tape. Add $2 for "hi-grade" tapes. What's "hi-grade"? For TDK it means HG instead of STD. For Maxell it means HGX-Gold instead of GX-Silver. For Kodak it means Extra-Highgrade instead of Highgrade. For Scotch it means PHG instead of HS. Mail to: Russ Josephson 1217 N Aspen Dr. Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 (I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes or postage. I think that it's a waste of postage, as I can get the materials myself, and maybe get a bulk discount.) People who contribute new TMBG material will get their copy free of charge. Contact me to ask about trades. All contents Copyright 1997 Russell Blaine Josephson. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:51:44 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: Cards Ahoy! > Oh, by the way, I'll be glad to trade my special limited > edition holographic "John + John: Live and NUDE!" card for a > "Superfueled Freaksicle is actually released" card. Oh my gawd, there's a frightening thought. Does anyone have the "1994 Edition of TMBG" card? I'll trade my "Flansy and Graham Do the Dance Scene From Pulp Fiction" and my very rare "Linny In Drag" cards.:) mouse ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:59:05 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Alan Householder Subject: TMBG: TMGB:help-please! Message-ID: listers, I desperately need help so if anyone is so inclined to help, I would be most, most appreciative. 1) does anyone have a copy of the 9:30 Club show in Washington from December 27 and if so, is there any way I could get a copy? 2) did anyone tape the President's Day JKP performance from NPR so I might get a copy of that? 3) does anyone have any information on the shows at Kenyon College and Western Maryland College? thanks everybody. mike "Democrats are better than Republicans because who ever heard of "getting a good piece of elephant?'" Mike Householder 1928 Calvert Street NW #6 Washington, DC 20009 202-518-1072 mikeah@wam.umd.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:20:07 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation Message-ID: > >LINN-ell(kinda like linen, the fabric, only with an l sound at the end) > >as opposed to the apparently correct lin-ELL(lin as in lint, then elle > >as in french for she). > > "Linnell" rhymes with "vinyl," and that's that. I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH! > Wow...sticking to a pronunciation of Linnell's name even when the pronunciation has been confirmed by Linnell himself...that takes guts. When will Linnell admit he's wrong, mm? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:31:31 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: TMBG: Im going to the irving plaza show. Message-ID: Hello, fellow fans, and devotees. well. I have finally secured my tickets for the Irving Plaza show. I am generally a quiet list-y type person, so I don't think any of you know me, but It would still be really really neat if I could meet some of you. I don't know what I will be wearing, but I might scream several times--hey people on the list-love me--or something like that. well, probably not, as I already mentioned I am sorta quiet. Oh well...It would be nice to meet some of you. I will probably be very close to the front of the line. Olivia ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:50:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218135007_43117304@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell Pronunciation I noticed that when They were on Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight" on WNYW a coupla weeks ago, Scelsa repeatedly called him "Linn-ELL", and Linnell never correcetd him. Therefore, I think it is Linn-ELL as opposed to LINN-ell, which I previously thought it to be. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702181915.AA16257@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:15:02 -0500 (EST) > > Does anyone have the "Purple Toupee" card? I need it to complete a set.. > > > I have the "Purple Toupee/Gold lame'" flip card. It will turn your brain > around. I have the "Ghost of my dance instructor/Paper-white mask of evil engineer" flip card which will make your TV spew Esperanto. Anyone wanna trade the "Jack Flansburgh changes the key in middle of guitar solo"? > Don't be jealous.. Here, have my "Fans get stomach trouble" action card. > When you wiggle it, they all vomit! Look at the John's faces! Hee Hee! hehehe I almost busted a gut reading this! heheehehehehehehehe, I'd love this card. Equatorally brightened, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:08:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218150848_1080495989@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: CROWDSURFING CARD TRADE << (original limited edition, black border) and "Linnell leaps from stage to crowdsurf" for it. >> I'll give my John's having a tea party with the rest of them. I'll also throw in the limited-edition (only 2 made) John + John dressed in dresses to sing like a girl! Let me know. k? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:23:10 -0800 (PST) From: Michelle Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Message-ID: On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Michelle wrote: > > > I have the "Purple Toupee/Gold lame'" flip card. It will turn your brain > > > around. I'll trade you card #3 (There's only 2 cards in us) and the XTC vs. Adam Ant Action card for this one. Let me know... Michelle :) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:44:00 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218154400_-871809323@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: re: npr atc jkp, letterman, linnell, lincoln, la la la... >Linnell on friday night: "we were censored by the man." LOL! All i noticed was James Buchanan a wafflist [or was it waffler?]. I did get it on tape after listenining to 105 minutes of NPR news. I liked the instrumental bit at the end. :) Accordian!!! ::drewl:: >And, irritatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name >Linn-ELL(rhymes with chanel) Well, I'm not gonna go dig out my tape to double check (actually, I'm in the process (read it with a long "o") of dubbing a tape ;)) but he did pronounce it the right way, I do believe.. lin *EL*..... I don't know why people insist on it having the LINN ell pronunciation - can't you accept what he himself calls himself? :D Oh, digest bloody digest. >Yup, even he pronounces it that way! >Anyone wanna trade for that little piece of They? My copy has >a Special Bonus!!! > >Columbus, OH Traffic reports!! Or if you'd rather have Rochester NY traffic.... ;) And did you all notice that in the beginning of All things considered, JKP was playing in the background? >I'm in my college's library right now, and I just went to get a >drink and noticed a art display, with a photograph of a >church/courthouse that looks exactly like the one on the >cover of Lincoln. Anyone know exactly where that was taken? >(where they did the photo shoot?) That's pretty funny considering the guys on front are the Johns' granpa's. :) Maybe your librarian's a They-head? :D Or maybe They modeled it after a certain building. I recall reading somewhere that one of them has that little model of the church house thing in his apartment, and it's the size of a tv. >Once i saw a guy wearing a tmbg shirt in the front row of >some late night program (I think it was Conan, might have >been letterman or leno). Anyway.. I have a photo of Kevin McDonald from the Kids in the Hall wearing the snowman TMBG shirt. I scanned it and uploaded it too: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/tmbgkevin.gif sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org "I jaywalk to beat the devil, I'm no bass but lots of treble." - Odds ("Make You Mad") ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702182145.QAA22979@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:44:09 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: SSS...another direction I'd like to take the similiar soundin' songs thread in a slightly- different direction. What TMBG songs remind you of non-TMBG songs? As has been discussed several times in the past, "Cage and Aquarium" certainly nods, consciously or not, to "The Age of Aquarius" from _Hair_. Many moons ago, upon the release of _John Henry_, I pointed out the similarities between "Snail Shell" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)". Both have some funk in them. "Snail Shell" certainly borrows, at least vaguely, from the lyric meter of Sly Stone's song. I'm not sure if there are other examples out there. But I'd be curious to see what others think about such song connections. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: Elvis Costello and the Attractions - _Live Vol. 1_ On the similar soundin' songs thread. Haven't heard Unforgotten enough times to really know it, though it's a lot better than I thought it would be, given all the flak it got! Two songs that I did notice were very similar (after listening to them in a row, with my CD on random shuffle) were JKP and The Bells are Ringing. For some reason this tainted my initial enjoyment of these songs - I therefore advise you against trying this yourself at home, and no responsibility will be taken if any damages are done! Has anyone else noticed the similarity? It's the steady progression of notes which both songs start off with. Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ---- End of mail text Additional SMTP headers from original mail item follow: Received: from ussodyssey.ufp.org by E-MAIL.COM (IBM VM SMTP V2R3) with TCP; Sun, 16 Feb 97 18:58:44 EST Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA14208 fo r tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:50:09 -0500 Message-ID: X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 Encoding: 18 TEXT Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Maria, Nick" _____________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702182201.QAA09798@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Profile Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:54:12 -0600 ---------- > From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> > To: Mike Leffel > Subject: Re: TMBG: Profile > Date: Tuesday, February 18, 1997 3:25 PM > > On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > I've cut the "what ryan wrote" because most people would have objected to the whole thing in my letter (But it was really hilarious.. I will treasure it forever.. or at least until thursday) But basically he asked me to actually make the cards. (Whether he was drugged out of his mind at the time, I can't tell :) But he gave me several good reasons to do so, including my possible decapitation. Would anyone else care to see this thing achieved? (BTW- I'm not one of those caracaturist types...) Mike "Cartoonist Supreme, Hold The Ego" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A41AE.52BE@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:56:30 -0800 From: Malachi Constant Organization: Church of God the Utterly Indifferent Subject: TMBG: Boycott MTV On the 120 minutes portion of mtv's webpage, there is a section to download video clips. And they have Mono Puff! But the song is listed as "The Devil Went To Georgia" or some horrible shit like that. I just wanted to register my formal complaint with all of you, and um don't watch beavis and butthead or something. Show 'em you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. I sound like a labor union president. Also, in exchange for the Valentine's day Irv. Plaza tape, I'll trade my ENTIRE "John and John get old before they die" card series, including the special foil refractor "baldness" tribute card. I've also got the "Linell kicks Snoop Dog's Ass" error card if anyone's interested. josh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:15:32 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Then: sampler... Message-ID: I just got my Then: The Earlier Years sampler in the mail, which I won on the Linnell chat at irvingplaza.com. I am listening to it now. I wanted to comment on the songs we have all heard before. Many of your may remember a mention that the old CDs would be remastered...cleaned up a bit...as they said I think. Well, I am hear to report that the difference is very subtle....but it is good....the songs seem a bit fuller...a bit clearer in parts...well...I will post more later...just started it :) Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:21:58 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Greek #3 Message-ID: I am sorry...but Greek #3 is the funniest thing I have ever heard :) hehehehe, had to say that... Josh P.S. I wish they would have put Hell Hotel on Then:... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:26:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 TMBG: SSS...another direction by "Brett Ballantini"@hewit > As has been discussed several times in the past, "Cage and > Aquarium" certainly nods, consciously or not, to "The Age of > Aquarius" from _Hair_. > > Many moons ago, upon the release of _John Henry_, I pointed > out the similarities between "Snail Shell" and Sly and the > Family Stone's "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)". > Both have some funk in them. "Snail Shell" certainly borrows, > at least vaguely, from the lyric meter of Sly Stone's song. There are some direct references, like in "Your Own Worst Enemy" the one to "Precious and Few," but the songs sound nothing alike. "I Should Be Allowed to Think" sounds somewhat like "Windy" by The Association. Parts of "Fingertips" sound a lot like other things... "Narrow Your Eyes" sounds an awful lot like a bunch of Beatles songs, as does the bridge of "Window." "New York City" is *extremely* similar to "New York City" by cub. (sorry about that one :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702182239.QAA10680@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:33:50 -0600 ---------- > From: Malachi Constant > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Boycott MTV > Date: Tuesday, February 18, 1997 5:56 PM Also, in exchange for the Valentine's day Irv. Plaza tape, I'll trade my > ENTIRE "John and John get old before they die" card series, including the > special foil refractor "baldness" tribute card. I've also got the > "Linell kicks Snoop Dog's Ass" error card if anyone's interested. > > josh Hhehehehehe!!! You got it! I'll trade it for my "The Tick vs. They Might Be Giants" And my ActualSound!(tm) card "Linnell Pronounces His Own Name" Mike "They Might Be Giants, YOUR MUTHA!, They Might Be Giants, YOUR MUTHA! They Might Be Cold, They Might Be Heat DIE COPS DIE" Leffel (* no real ..ahem.. 'rap ..music' was intellectually denounced in this episode) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970218174122.006f24a8@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:41:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? I just got the latest set (Issue #56 - Factory Tour)... #76 - Exquisite Dead Guy Heads #105 - Stolen Equipment #45 - Singing Saw #23 - James K. Polk (Reprint of 1990 series) #84 - Irving Plaza (Black Border) #85 - Irving Plaza (Small Hearts Border) #86 - Irving Plaza (Pink Border) #68 - Spirralling Shape Hologram Card (PS - Egad! This card thing is out of control!) PPS- Wouldn't it be exceptionally cool (Like, super-mondo-awesome-groovy-fab-radical, dude) if we ACTUALLY MADE tmbg Cards? That would be SO COOL. Anyhow... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3309FA5D.2823@baka.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:52:13 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction > "Narrow Your Eyes" sounds an awful lot like a bunch of Beatles songs, as > does the bridge of "Window." That's really weird, because I've always thought narrow your eyes sunded like a good paul McCartney song, but played it for my non-TMBG-fan friends and they told me I was nuts. If I had to name a specific song, I think stylistically and somewhat lyrically, it's similar to For No One, on(I think) revolver. Of course, I wouldn't rule out my being nuts anyway. The bridge to window? Hmm. Never noticed that. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the knightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah, who will trade his complete set of "subtle TMBG references on the Simpsons" cards for a "TMBG team-ups: TMBG and the Monkees" card. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A34EC.2C6B@toothfairy.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:02:04 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV > Show 'em you're mad as hell and > not going to take it anymore. I sound like a labor union president. > No problem! I boycotted MTV a long time ago, back when they stopped playing music. You know, about when Remote Control came on.... Ughhh.... horrible flashbacks... -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:04:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218180401_1448978921@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff > "Narrow Your Eyes" sounds an awful lot like a bunch of Beatles songs, as > does the bridge of "Window." >That's really weird, because I've always thought narrow your eyes sunded like >a good paul McCartney song, but played it for my non-TMBG-fan friends and they >told me I was nuts. If I had to name a specific song, I think stylistically >and somewhat lyrically, it's similar to For No One, on(I think) revolver. Of >course, I wouldn't rule out my being nuts anyway. The bridge to window? Hmm. >Never noticed that. >> Yeah, the bridge to "Window" reminds me of part of the bridge in "Strawberry Fields Forever," while "Self Called Nowhere" reminds me of the chorus a bit. "Narrow Your Eyes" is indeed Beatles-esque, and "If I Wasn't Shy" reminds me of a typical sweet little Paul Mcartney tune. Funny how Linnell's songs tend to be similar stylistically to Lennon's while Flans's songs remind me more of Mcartney's, hmmm... I think the TMBG card thing is quite entertaining! For my own humble contribution, I have a "Flans on a quest for the perfect cup of coffee" card and "Linnell overcomes his addiction to black turtlenecks" card (the second one's kinda a shame, I think) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:13:29 +1000 Message-ID: <0003132F.1646@dist.gov.au> From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: TMBG: Canberra (Aust) concert From: "yublocka" > i haven't got tickets for canberra yet, have you? i have been informed by a > canberrean that tickets for shows at the anu are normally only sold at the > anu itself, or impact records (a cd shop down there), but i haven't sussed > this out fully yet. This is usually the case. The ANU concert line is (06) 249 2456. I usually buy my tickets from Impact as it is near where I work. I will probably get there at lunch time today and check whether they have tickets yet...their number is (06) 247 4800. BTW, Bad Religion are playing tonight at ANU and their tickets were also sold at Ticketek, so maybe TMBG tickets will be sold there too...I don't know if it is worth trying there. Last time they played here I don't think it was a sell out anyway... Brett ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:33:47 GMT Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970218233356.2a4724ec@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: The UK Let me interrupt you..... Factory Showroom was officially released in the UK last week (10 Feb). I'd guess that the shelves are still heaving under a million imports so the shops haven't put out the UK stock yet. I'd put money on They doing one of the festivals here in the summer.... Maybe even Reading again? In which case we might get a warm-up gig as well as the festival like last time?? Here's hoping! Currently in the non-existent CD changer: TMBG - Factory Showroom, TMBG - SEXXY5, Sleater-Kinney - Call The Doctor, Pansy Division - Wish I'd Taken Pictures, Tilt - Til It Hurts, Team Dresch - Captain My Captain, V/A--Outpunk Dance Party On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:33:21 +0000 (GMT), D Robertson said: >> Around early December, twenty thousand million of you told me that They >> would be in London (that's London, England) in March. >> Well, it's less than two weeks till March..... >> They're not coming, are they?????:( > >In two words, probably not, looking at TMBG.com, they are booked up for >March performing in Australia, Japan and some more American dates. It is >worth remembering that FS still hasn't been released here yet and they are >unlikely to tour until then (No point promoting an album that's not out >yet) Unfortunately it is not worth checking tmbg.com for this date as >they're still claiming that it's going to be out in the New year 1997 >which also past as by a few weeks ago. I'll stick my neck out and say >they'll be here in the summer June/July but that is based on no facts >whatsoever and is a pure guess. -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A5820.2D4B@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:32:16 -0800 From: Malachi Constant Organization: Church of God the Utterly Indifferent Subject: TMBG: Sorry. More cards. Anyone remember those "Sportflics" cards with the plastic grooves that look animated when the card is turned from side to side? There simply HAS to be a "John and John hop around like happy idiots in the Ana Ng video" card done like this. And finally I got a mint condition Spiralling Shape meets Triangle Man card, reduced price. -josh, with much free time ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:27:03 -0800 >---------- >From: Michelle[SMTP:mms@wolfenet.com] >Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 1997 12:23 PM >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? > >On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Michelle wrote: > >> > > I have the "Purple Toupee/Gold lame'" flip card. It will turn your >>brain >> > > around. > >I'll trade you card #3 (There's only 2 cards in us) and the XTC vs. Adam >Ant Action card for this one. Let me know... > >Michelle :) Bah! I'll offer three "They Might Be Food Center" cards if you'll throw in a "John & John Sing Opera" card. The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:55:41 +1100 Wow!! The special Australian tour cards came out today! I've got doubles of the 'John F + skippy = roadkill', and the hilarious snap of J&J on the underside of the harbour bridge titled 'They Might Be Giants - down under'. Nicka ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A438E.212B@ou.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:04:30 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Hey.. I'm looking for the "What's That Blue Thing Doing Here" card to complete my "Fingertips" set. can anyone help? O:) heather ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: WOOGA! Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:06:15 -0800 Just a little note here to the TMBG fans in Seattle who are planning on attending the Showbox show March 10th.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me.... We're putting together a little get-together before the show. Even if you aren't attending the show (due to age/etc), you can still come to the pre-show gathering. (: So drop me an email and let me know, K? Trying to organize this whole shi-bang... The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" trading card. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:09:14 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge and/or Criag Subject: TMBG: Concert Update Message-ID: Hey TMBG listies! Can't get to New York City to see They at IP? Bummed when the Red Bank concert didn't happen? If you answered yes to either of these questions, have I got news for you: CUB CONCERTS is proud to present THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Wednesday, April 9, 1997 8pm, New Residence Main Lounge, The College of New Jersey There is most likely an error in the college newspaper; the New Res lounge can hold about 50 people tops. It will most likely occur in the Student Recreation Center or the Kendall Hall main stage. This is all that I know as of right now. As I get more info I will pass it along. Man I am excited! Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Ohhh... isn't that cute?? BUT IT'S WRONG!!!" Hollywood from "2 Stupid Dogs" "This land is your land, this land is your land, get off of my land, i'll kill you now..." TMBG * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970219012206.36e79810@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:22:06 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: TMBG: Re: [nothing] At 03:32 18/02/97 -0700, you wrote: >O.K. Could someone, or several someones email me and tell me what's up >with "Then: the early years", Coming out March 25. >Superfeuled Freaksickle", Indefinitely on hold. They might have enough material for an entirely new album by summer. >why John L. signed my CD "John L. SID"? Maybe he thought your name was Sid? -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ -- ** Please note URL change ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330AC6D8.12E5@netcomuk.co.uk> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 01:24:40 -0800 From: Velouria Subject: TMBG: Re: The UK On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Douglas Robertson wrote: >In two words, probably not, looking at TMBG.com, they are booked up for >March performing in Australia, Japan and some more American dates. It is >worth remembering that FS still hasn't been released here yet and they >are >unlikely to tour until then (No point promoting an album that's not out >yet) Actually, FS has been released in the UK since mid-January. I bought it myself from Tower Records, Picadilly, in London for 16.99. Let's hope that they'll be coming over here eventually! Has any Brit listee seen them live in previous tours? Please let me know details! (in terms of venues, tickets, etc.) Jo ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970219013138.2b07b90c@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:31:38 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Pronunciation At 08:47 18/02/97 -0500, you wrote: >"Linnell" rhymes with "vinyl," and that's that. I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH! You mean it sounds almost exactly like "Lionel"? -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ -- ** Please note URL change ** ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:37:23 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218203723_850047644@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: CARDS Hello folks! I felt like making a contribution to the TMBG Trading card frenzy, so here goes: How about a subset that when pieced together forms a floor chart of Early Video Dance Steps, a la Don't Let's Start and Ana Ng. Or maybe All The Songs That Feature Disembodied Heads (all two of them, When Tornadoes Take Over the World and that other one...) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702190156.UAA09004@norwich.valley.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:59:03 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: Re: TMBG: Boycott MTV >No problem! I boycotted MTV a long time ago, back when they stopped >playing music. You know, about when Remote Control came on.... How can you not like Remote control! It was the first show that celebrated overwatching of tv, I was only six when it was on, and It changed my life forever. TOAD'S PLACE IN TWO DAYS! Be warned.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A7C2E.3942@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:06:06 -0800 From: Obscure literary figure Organization: Some book you've never read Subject: TMBG: no talking, just head Hmmmm this does seem to be a recurring theme. Examples, anyone? 1. When Tornadoes... 2. Turn Around (apollo 18) 3. Til My Head Falls Off (FS) and special mention for "Stand on your own head" (lincoln) for that head reference. Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, nevermind. josh ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702190215.AA06417@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: aussie cards Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:15:50 -0500 (EST) Hey! I'd like to trade for the Australian tour card but, umm, I don't think I understand Australian so I dunno if they're legal here. Hey, wait they might be lots of money, on second thought send em here, I have the Stripped Shirt Flansy prancing at Rockerfeller Center card to trade! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:16:42 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: More trading cards Message-ID: Hey/hay, I've got a mint condition #34 "John Linnell in His Converse All-Stars" and a slightly damaged holographic Limited Series "John and John Rock Out- Vegas Lounge Style!" if anyone wants to arrange a trade. I'll be willing to take any Fingertip and a Hall of Heads to round out Apollo 18, "John and John On The Rock Hunt", "World That Swings", or "Headless Flansburgh." (This last one is very similar to another one, except this one doesn't have a mirrored wall in the background, it's just against black. The mirrored one is apparently for Hall of Heads (duh).) ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702190217.AA06424@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:17:34 -0500 (EST) > Hey.. I'm looking for the "What's That Blue Thing Doing Here" card to > complete my "Fingertips" set. > > can anyone help? Hey, I forgot to mention this, this card really (seriously!!) exists! My friend has it I think, it was one of those fake Magic cards they made and it really, I ain't shittin anyone here says "What's that Blue Thing Doing here" and it's called "The Blue Thing", and it's this big blue blob or something of that nature. Unfortunately there are no Johns actually on the card, but it was still really nifty to see. I think they might be downloable from the Internet somewhere, I'll ask me friend. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970219021824.33ef20fa@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:18:24 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Sorry. More cards. At 05:32 18/02/97 -0800, you wrote: >Anyone remember those "Sportflics" cards with the plastic grooves that >look animated when the card is turned from side to side? There simply >HAS to be a "John and John hop around like happy idiots in the Ana Ng >video" card done like this. Idiots? Wouldn't "geniuses" be more appropriate? >And finally I got a mint condition Spiralling Shape meets Triangle Man >card, reduced price. Wow, I've heard that one's really great, but I don't know what's it's really like. -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ -- ** Please note URL change ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:23:08 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: CD's Message-ID: Hey/hay, I had to add that in my fictional 8-disc changer there are: (and this is my ideal changer, assuming that I had every CD that I want) 1. Flood 2. A18 3. FS 4. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Disc One- Smashing Pumpkins 5. Welcome to Pleasantville- Wally Pleasant 6. Verve Pipe (anything!) 7. whatever CD "Long December" is on by Counting Crows 8. Anything Blues Traveler has put out in the last year and a half If anyone has titles to the last few discs, mail me personally- Thanks! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 21:29 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: no talking, just head >Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG >lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now >my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, >nevermind. Well, mine are all classics: "Bring out this glass suburban," from Road Movie; "Where the world grows by like the human hair" from Ana Ng... For some reason I always thought it was "Martin Ness" in Purple Toupee, not "Martin X," and my dad thought "Piece of Dirt" was "Be Subdued." I think we need to get dad's hearing checked... Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 21:32 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: trading cards Hey, I have a mint condition "Flans Gets Hit By Flying Debris" #12, plus the infamous "Yelling At the Roadies" #25. Oh, and of course, the limited edition "Wah-wah's Fingers are Sliced Off By His Guitar Strings." Kirsten (who couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:47:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218214718_-1139673730@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: CT and 2/21, SSS, Cards Hello 41- At Toad's Place and Irving Plaza Friday I'll be the (or maybe one of the many) six foot something guys with short brown hair wearing all black. I'll have my "Hello my name is Adam" sticker on too. Say Hello to me! SSS- There is an episode of Idiot's Delight were Vin finds a bunch of songs that sound like a bunch of songs on JH. It's pretty good. Cards- I have these for trades! #23- January 23, 1983 John and John both make $23 playing 23 songs while Linnell is 23 and 23 people come to the club. #34- Flans on the way to the hospital after suffering severe neck damage due to a giant fez #59- Linnell eludes fans after show in New York #70- 4/1/94 TMBG's tour manager plays dirty trick on the band by getting decaf coffee #87- The band watches in horror as the stage collapses during The Famous Polka Adam ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:01:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970218220132_1548064385@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Misinterpreted TMBG Lyrics I used to think the lyric to the 1994 SWAHD went "She was a hotel detective/but now she's badly connected/she didnt have to change anything/just a damsel on her window." I like how that "damsel" thing sounds! Lets make this "misinterpreted lyric" thing as popular as the trading card thing! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702190320.VAA16270@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: no talking, just head Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:09:26 -0600 > > Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG > lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now > my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, > nevermind. > > josh I believed that in Why Must I Be Sad? it was: "Ask me now I understand the words that Elvis said, The King that rocks beneath me, I scream at the sun" This can easily be explained by the fact that Elvis, in his Iconic-By-Nature legend, has taken over my mind. Also, for a year I had relied on a fuzzy tape-dub of JH (thanks to my friend VB) until I got a CD. Mike "And I liked the lyrics I didn't understand just as well" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970219031203.00674c10@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:12:03 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? At 12:23 PM 02/18/97 -0800, you wrote: >On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Michelle wrote: > >> > > I have the "Purple Toupee/Gold lame'" flip card. It will turn your brain >> > > around. > >I'll trade you card #3 (There's only 2 cards in us) and the XTC vs. Adam >Ant Action card for this one. Let me know... > I'll trade you the #34 card "Lurking Lister", and my special holographic foil-enhanced "John and John come to 30 Acorn Street, Stanhope NJ" special concert card for a #26 "John And John meet their Evil Clones from Pluto" card! zink * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970219032249.00687038@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:22:49 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert Update At 08:09 PM 02/18/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hey TMBG listies! Can't get to New York City to see They at IP? Bummed >when the Red Bank concert didn't happen? If you answered yes to either of >these questions, have I got news for you: > > >CUB CONCERTS is proud to present > >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS >Wednesday, April 9, 1997 >8pm, New Residence Main Lounge, The College of New Jersey > >There is most likely an error in the college newspaper; the New Res lounge >can hold about 50 people tops. It will most likely occur in the Student >Recreation Center or the Kendall Hall main stage. This is all that I know >as of right now. As I get more info I will pass it along. Man I am >excited! Zoink! Need more info, like what exactly is the College of New Jersey?? And how can you get there from say Sussex county up north? zink I am not missing this one. * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Message-ID: <19970218.222436.3598.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:24:39 EST On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:44:09 EST "Brett Ballantini" writes: >Many moons ago, upon the release of _John Henry_, I pointed >out the similarities between "Snail Shell" and Sly and the >Family Stone's "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)". >Both have some funk in them. "Snail Shell" certainly borrows, >at least vaguely, from the lyric meter of Sly Stone's song. Oh wow:0. My hubby pointed out the exact same similarity a few months ago and I thought he was really going out on a limb. What about also "Hope I Die Before I Get Old" by the Who. Or what about "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" being a play on the Beatles' "Across the Universe" (i.e. "nothing's gonna change my world...")? one of the many jens:) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702190343.WAA22818@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert Update Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:53:27 -0500 > Zoink! Need more info, like what exactly is the College of New Jersey?? And > how can you get there from say Sussex county up north? Well let's see. The College of New Jersey was the original name for Princeton University, but I'm willing to bet the one we're talking about is the College Formerly Known as Trenton State. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:23:34 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: no talking, just head Message-id: How about "Hall of Heads?" ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Obscure literary figure wrote: > When Tornadoes Take Over the World and that other one...)> > > Hmmmm this does seem to be a recurring theme. > Examples, anyone? > 1. When Tornadoes... > 2. Turn Around (apollo 18) > 3. Til My Head Falls Off (FS) > and special mention for "Stand on your own head" (lincoln) for that head > reference. > > Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG > lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now > my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, > nevermind. > > josh > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0n2cO=_00iWk0ESls0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:50:19 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER T.. by Evan Chakroff@ee.net > (PS - Egad! This card thing is out of control!) You're telling me... what I want to know is why they went from 15 card packs to 8 cards... I opened another pack today (it's an addiction, I tell you)... got We're never gonna tour again Then we die What's that blue thing doing here? Flans with amp, Linnell with accordion (must be extremely rare - not many people have it) Linnell gluing his poster Sleeping in the Flowers Johns in suits Apollo 18 cover is there an album cover in every pack or something? I have so many of those and don't know what to do with them... (or am I taking the whole collectable card analogy waaaaaaaaaaay too far? :) If we were to design trading cards, what *would* they look like? I think there'd have to be one for every album cover, with the track listing on the back.... and certain songs with their lyrics.... etc, etc. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:53:36 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: SSS...another dir.. by Jonah@baka.com > That's really weird, because I've always thought narrow your eyes sunded > like a good paul McCartney song, but played it for my non-TMBG-fan friends > and they told me I was nuts. If I had to name a specific song, I think > stylistically and somewhat lyrically, it's similar to For No One, on(I > think) revolver. Of course, I wouldn't rule out my being nuts anyway. The > bridge to window? Hmm. I'm not sure which song it would be if I had to pick one, but it's been described as Beatles-esque by many people. > Never noticed that. The background music of it, anyway, and the tempo. It's slow, in a minor key, etc. I wish I could place a general time period on it as to what it sounds like... or what song in particular. Probably some of the earlier material. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:56:26 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: SSS...another dir.. by Kaylum@aol.com > and "Linnell overcomes his addiction to black turtlenecks" card (the second > one's kinda a shame, I think) Actually, it's solid color shirts in general - I've seen them in concert 5 times now. Twice he was wearing solid blue, once almost solid purple, and only twice non-solid colors, but still simple stuff. And in the Snail Shell video he's wearing a white turtleneck, and I think the one in Birdhouse is actually very dark blue. On a similar note - I put on a black turtleneck the other day and my roommate commented that I looked like John Linnell when I was wearing it. So naturally I picked up my accordion..... (didn't get a picture this time :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:58:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: CARDS by Heather Tinkler@ou.edu > Hey.. I'm looking for the "What's That Blue Thing Doing Here" card to > complete my "Fingertips" set. picked it up in a pack today (see my previous post). If you have an extra "I'm having a heart attack," I'd like that one (still need Everything is Catching on Fire and Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye, though) Anyone want a whole bunch of album cover cards, though? I've got at least 10 of each. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702190513.XAA18444@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON TMBG!!!: GARBAGE Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:07:40 -0600 FOR ALL THOSE WHO *DETEST* NON-TMBG, SORRY! KILL ME! Sorry, but did any of you happen to own the Garbage CD? Quite possibly did any of you get it from BMG? Any chance that any of you have the catalog number that one would use to order it, as I cannot find it? I wouldn't bother, but joining the garbage mailing list just for one answer seems a bit odd. They don't have the num num at www.bmgmusicservice.com, BTW. Mike "Sorry!, but I'd like to order it" Leffel ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:09:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219000958_1049843433@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP on NPR(woo-hah! acronyms!) >irratatingly, he pronounced John Linnell's last name Linn-ELL(rhymes with chanel), pissing off all TMGB fans listening. Not so. I know at least one tmbger who pronounces it "Linnl." I don't. I pronounce it Lin-ELL (rhymes with nothing I can think of, accent on the "ell") hmm..., Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:30:31 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge and/or Criag Subject: TMBG: Clarification on TCNJ concert Message-ID: I have been told that the concert is on Tuesday April 8, not the 9th as mentioned eariler. For those who do not know where TCNJ is, it is located in Ewing, NJ, about 5 miles northeast of Trenton. The college is on Rt. 31, pretty close to Interstates 95, 195 and 295. It's about a half hour drive from exit 7a on the New Jersey Turnpike. Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Ohhh... isn't that cute?? BUT IT'S WRONG!!!" Hollywood from "2 Stupid Dogs" "This land is your land, this land is your land, get off of my land, i'll kill you now..." TMBG * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702190545.XAA18988@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Those Blasted TMBG CARDS Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:40:26 -0600 Remember, all you puppies who got the Factory Showroom Special Edition Box Set.. there's a Hidden Card beneath the fake floor on the box.. you may have to use scissors to get to it... As for the rumours of Skybox halting production on the Series T set, I have some bad news... Series T (The Miscelleneous Cards) will NOT be made. But, for those quick enough, YOU CAN PURCHASE THE UNCUT SHEETS THAT WERE PRINTED! Only 25,000 were made, so you'd better hurry. www.skybox.com/tmbg/t.html Mike "I've ordered mine" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:38:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219003849_-1374405646@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... What will someone give me for my extra Snowball in Hell card? Please feel free to download it... :) Joseph Dowdy PS...It snot perfect, but it's cute. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (image/gif)] ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:57:42 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219005741_-938704251@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: no talking, just head In a message dated 97-02-18 21:34:53 EST, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: << >Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG >lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now >my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, >nevermind. Well, mine are all classics: "Bring out this glass suburban," from Road Movie; "Where the world grows by like the human hair" from Ana Ng... For some reason I always thought it was "Martin Ness" in Purple Toupee, not "Martin X," and my dad thought "Piece of Dirt" was "Be Subdued." I think we need to get dad's hearing checked... >> Misunderstandings? Big time!! I thought that in Pet Name (which I absolutely love), the line was "Strategies for hangman, cat's cradle or a gummi (as in gummi bear)" but the line is "cat's cradle, oragami (paper cranes and such)" OOPS!! Glass Suburban!!! Ha!! That's great!! I thought it was Martin X, too!!!! OOOPS!! Who the Hell is Martin Ness? Eliot's cousin? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330A974F.5EC5@toothfairy.com> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 01:01:51 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: Edison.wav I just downloaded The Edison Museum from TMBG.com. Who is singing that? I doesn't sound like either John. E-Mail me if you know. Thanks- -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-49 *****************************