Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 5 Monday, 6 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Hi, i'm back, and all the like Re: TMBG: Ypsi show info Re: TMBG: welcome to factory/mustache TMBG: Questions TMBG: New Person talking about themself TMBG: Mono Puff Frequently Asked Questions TMBG: HELP!!!!!! TMBG: What Graham Maby,the bass player,said hit john in the eye TMBG: Re: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza TMBG: Re: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza TMBG: You gave me a LIST name... TMBG: They Might Be offensive to some people... Re: TMBG: You gave me a LIST name... TMBG: Important chord questions. TMBG: Fountains of Wayne TMBG: Letterbox TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest unsubscribe TMBG: Redundancy...Religion Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion TMBG: Yet another FS review RE: TMBG: Name for the list Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne TMBG: Recordings I'm looking for TMBG: Re: tmbg-lis Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Hi, i'm back, and all the like Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 02:23:49 -0600 Message-ID: <19970105082347460.AAA306@ppp86.baraboo.com> Ok, i'm back (have been for 2 days, just havn't checked my mail). I've been too busy playing with my new scanner and trying to got my modem to work (this 14.4 is really goetting annoying, but when i get a faster one, it is broken!). Anyway, i'm back, and skimmed the digests and everything. I went to the rochester show and also the pre-show thing... none was there and that was a horrible cap. oh well. The concert rocked! And i think i know what was thrown at flans, because i saw someone throw it off the stage from flans' spot - it was a flattened plastic soda bottle. Were there encores written on te set list? i wanna know what i missed. I still have a lot of catching up to do, and it's getting late..... gotta get in 3 hours tonight, i think. Bye! Wyatt, who knows who invented the smiley! Ask me if you want to know who it is (my dad took art lessons from him). ooooohhh... secret hiidden bottom part thing........ ummm... go away ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: tom@Mail.Coast.NET (Thomas Earl!) Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 04:38:37 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ypsi show info OH MY GOD!!! Their comming to YPSI!!! YES!!! If someone knows ANYTHING about this show, please post or mail me... I got to see them!!!! Tom Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > > I am hoping against hope to get to the show in Ypsilanti on February 19. > The only listing of the show I found was at Pollstar. No TicketBastard > sightings. I can probably get an EMU box office number if necessary, but I > wondered first if and how anyone else has gotten tickets so far. Schanksh > for the help. > > -- > Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan > http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu > "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me > "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell > > > -- * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Earl Diplomacy is the art of saying Network Engineer "Nice Doggie!"... till you can find Coast to Coast Telecommuncations a Rock. Clarkson, Michigan +1.800.900.9960 http://www.coast.net Tom@coast.net http://www.games.coast.net * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: welcome to factory/mustache Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 08:21:13 -0600 Message-ID: <19970105142108150.AAA308@ppp67.baraboo.com> > >Also... is Flans REALLY growing a mustache? Not just forgetting to shave >or something? Wow, then we could identify him as "the John with the >mustache", instead of just using the glasses to identify him all the >time. >Maybe Robin (Robyn?) is making him grow it. :) > >-Mismirilda > Well, unless hair only grows right over his mouth in a nice, neat shape hen i'd say he has a moustache. Then again, the only time i got very close was when there was a huge, sweaty, guy (weighing about 300 pounds... he was HUGE) that decided to throw himself straight at me with all his weight. So then I pushed next to security so i dont get crushed by the pseudo mosh pit. I have such a hard time remembering names, but i think it was fran(well, i know this one) and josh and matt, but i feel unsure, and stupid. Anyway, if it wasnt you, then tell me that i truly do have problems (i cant tell, currently). Wyatt who forgot to say where he came back from in his last post, being rochester. I also woke up at 10 to 8, so i was again correct, and got 5 whole hours of sleep... i feel so refreshed. the misterious action frames of yawning: :| :o :O :o :| ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Questions Message-ID: <19970105.105145.8119.0.ethan3@juno.com> From: ethan3@juno.com (Ethan Gobetz) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 10:53:25 EST Three questions: 1) Whats the deal with the NYC shows in Feb? 2) When is the B-side album coming out? 3) When is the double CD coming out? Thanks ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:27:41 -0500 Message-ID: <970105132741_1822920551@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: New Person talking about themself Hello. My name is David. I'm a long time fan of They Might Be Giants. I've seen them three times in concert. I was woundering if anyone has any video bootlegs of TMBG. If so, please E-mail me at Super D149@aol.com. Does anyone know what their touring scedule is?? I saw them in Minnesota in November and I was woundering if they were comming back. Sorry if this post was boring. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:19:51 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Frequently Asked Questions Message-ID: ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: HELP!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970105.145416.10990.2.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 15:56:24 EST Egads!!! Due to no fault of my own (it's a very long story), all my email has been erased from my dad's laptop! I have no records of the list-name vote whatsoever! Was anyone else collecting them? I hereby relinquish my title of Grand Poo-bah of List Name Collecting. I'll make a voting page for whoever wants to take over the Poo-bahness, but I am completely unable to handle voting now, for that reason and many others which have popped up. Sorry about that, kids. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com When they ask him, "What other planet features this," he replies, "What other planet!" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 15:45:11 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199701052145.PAA12713@home.stlnet.com> From: Will Freeman Subject: TMBG: What Graham Maby,the bass player,said hit john in the eye I talked to him last night after the show and he said it was kids slime like that nickolodeon stuff and it didn't hit him in the eye but knocked his glasses off and that is what pissed him off. so there. sencerely, Will * ^ /0 &\ / @ $ \ / %#@! \ / TMBG \ ----------- U R K o c HAppy HOlidays From W L i l ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 17:01:29 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <32D024B9.5ACA@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza Pooh Head Bucket? wrote: > > Irving Plaza kicks great big butt. I don't know how you'd get there, but > there's a PATH station right nearby, as well as Union Station. It's in a neat > neighborhood, too. I think I've seen Todd Rundgren there 4 times, as well as > all those TMBG Halloween shows (Horse w/ No Name lives)... IP has never been > less than extremely pleasant. > > -tom > (no, they didn't pay me) > > Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu > ------------------------------------------ > "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" so the dates are official? when are tickets going on sale? -- This has been a message from Brian B. (Faboo23). Visit his home page at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4469 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 17:02:22 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <32D024EE.3C73@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: The best thing about NYC is Irving Plaza Pooh Head Bucket? wrote: > > Irving Plaza kicks great big butt. I don't know how you'd get there, but > there's a PATH station right nearby, as well as Union Station. It's in a neat > neighborhood, too. I think I've seen Todd Rundgren there 4 times, as well as > all those TMBG Halloween shows (Horse w/ No Name lives)... IP has never been > less than extremely pleasant. > > -tom > (no, they didn't pay me) > > Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu > ------------------------------------------ > "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" so the dates are official? when are tickets going on sale? sorry for asking this so many times. =8>P -- This has been a message from Brian B. (Faboo23). Visit his home page at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4469 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D03219.B7C@earthlink.net> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 14:58:33 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: You gave me a LIST name... Catching up on the digests I missed on vacation I see that we've had a name the list expolsion. I was tempted to ignore it because of what happened on the Costelo list. People chimed in with suggestion after suggestion and finally there was an election. When a tie resulted, the elction runner declined to break it and faced with having to deal with aol, who owns the list, the matter died. the list remains unnamed. Oh well...of the names floated I like the obvious ones. Letterbox or the World's Address. Or simply Flood...which although it is not my favorite album is a good list name. till the next one, Herne ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 18:00:50 -0500 Message-ID: <970105180049_2021277637@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They Might Be offensive to some people... >Personal freedom can be expressed in other ways than going >against what God says. Hmmmmmm..... Sure, singing like a girl. ;) Really, I'm the least bit religious, so I have no idea how to interpret this.. But I will say this... TMBG are so freaking cool (well, of course), but just normally listening to their songs you would think "wow, they're so happy and clean, etc.." But, read some of the lyrics. Read deep into them. Some of them are just down right chock full of metaphors! :D Whoa!! Let me get this straight! Graham and Brian will be on the compilation tape??? No way! That is so cool! I tell you, those guys are the nicest!! :D * I was channel surfing around 3am, and stumbled upon a Counting Crows video that had a shiny red accordian in it. Discuss. ;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "Taxi taxidermy taxidermy me." - Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 18:06:26 -0500 Message-ID: <970105180624_2054830194@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: You gave me a LIST name... In a message dated 97-01-05 18:02:44 EST, herne@earthlink.net (Herne) writes: << Oh well...of the names floated I like the obvious ones. Letterbox or the World's Address. Or simply Flood...which although it is not my favorite album is a good list name. >> Any of these would certainly work for me. World's Address is great because it was already picked for the T-shirt and is obvious. Letterbox is great for the newsgroup because we know it's a TMBG song. Flood is great (as in Floodlist) and is fairly obvious. Think about it...your friend says, "What is (name)?" You say, "It's the TMBG NG." Shall we all vote on these or are there other choices? I also like Ana NG. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970105235056.0090a368@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 18:50:56 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Important chord questions. With a huge backlog of chords waiting to get on www.tmbg.org I have been trying to come up with a speedier way to format them. In looking around I remembered and old program I worked on long ago. It's called 'chordpro' and it takes specially formatted ASCII text and outputs very nicely formatted PostScript files that are a pleasure to play off of. The problem here is that if I format stuff this way it will be available in two forms - Impossible to play off of chord pro input, or PostScript. Now, coming from the Unix world of PostScript printers I wouldn't consider this a problem at all. I am worred that there are a bunch of people out there that would be unable to view and print these files. As a possible alternative I may be able to find a PostScript to PDF utility so the chords could be available in PDF format. As much as I hate PDF I have to believe that most people have PDF viewers these days. Unfortunately I do not know of a Unix utility to do this conversion at the moment. Of course, we always have the alternative of using the current format. The problem is that it is very human intensive to format, and everyone who submits chords uses a slightly different format making them not look so good (IMHO). So, if you're a frequent chord user and have some input in any direction please let me know ASAP so I can figure out what we are going to do. -- Leo Bicknell - tmbg-list/tmbg-digest/alt-music-tmbg List administrator. See www.tmbg.org for more details. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne Message-ID: <19970105.184702.4382.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 18:50:40 EST I just got the new 99xpress magazine which is issued by an Atlanta alternative radio station. Under the section called 99X Breakthrough Bands is a group called Fountains of Wayne. They're a duo from New York and I will quote a little section from the article: "Falling somewhere between the grunge hooks of Smashing Pumpkins, the innocent, child-like vocals of They Might Be Giants, and the giggly, twisted lyrics of Squeeze, gush The Fountains of Wayne. Sure, it's only pop; but pop this tightly constructed, with sly, winking lyrics and choruses that sneak around and grab you like the best Beach Boy melodies, put FOW in a league with their influences. And that's a pretty exclusive bunch of folks." The author went on to say how wonderful they were and I wanted to know if anyone on the list has heard them as I have not. There is a picture next to the article and one of them kinda reminds me of Linnell (except blond)-he has the same kind of haircut and facial features and appears to be very thin. Does anyone know if they're any good? Jen ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701052357.AA22682@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Letterbox Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 18:57:06 -0500 (EST) Seems to me if there were a name for the list, it would be Letterbox. It just makes sens, e-mail letters going into our letterboxes. Unless you are talking about the "Flood" of mail everyone gets ;) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701060019.TAA21485@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 19:35:00 -0500 I have a recording of They plaing at the Knitting Factory. The setlist is this: Maybe I Know / Letterbox / I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die / Cage and Aquarium / Kiss Me, Son of God / I'll Sink Manhattan / Istanbul (Not Constantinople) / The Day / Purple Toupee / (She Was a) Hotel Detective / Ana Ng / Your Racist Friend / I Could Write a Book / My Funny Valentine / Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered / Santa's Beard / They'll Need a Crane / Cowtown / The Famous Polka Is this show 6/17/88 or 6/17/89? Different sources say different things! Is there a definitve answer? And if you have one, are you SURE!? Thanks... -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: pharl@pacifier.com Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 17:03:55 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest unsubscribe Message-ID: ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:18:25 -0500 Message-ID: <970105201824_1190504068@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion This has probably already been discussed, but what religions if any do They follow. Flansburgh sounds Jewish to me, but I could be wrong. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970105210640.006e7910@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 21:06:42 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701060321.WAA12603@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:18:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Yet another FS review Det. Dave here... This review of FS is from Focus Magazine, a local music scene mag here in Tampa, Florida: While Ween get weirder and weirder, John Linnel and John Flansburgh get better and better at writing their perverse brand of pop. TMBG is back, and obstensibly again as a full band. But we know who the idea guys are. The recording setup produces a very live-sounding TMBG, with lots of guitars, pianos, and horns, but there's still plenty of churchbells, vibrowhatsis, chimey things and other stange mechanically-produced melodies going on. Factory Showroom is a classic TMBG record, boasting such lyrical topics as "Exquisite Dead Guy", "XTC vs Adam Ant" and "Metal Detector" which cops Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," but is really about a metal detector, sort of. John Linnel wonders aloud on track 3 "Why can't I sing like a girl/and not be stigmatized by the rest of the world?" Ah, They Might Be Giants, so cathy in their own way, or in somebody else's, for that matter. "Til My Head Falls Off" takse a stab at three-chord guitar rock, but they can't help the strings and stuff. Even enigmatic Tampan expatriate Julian Koster makes an appearance, soloing the "singing saw" on the history lesson that is "James K. Polk." And "I Can Hear You" sounds great, considering it was recorded, without electricity, on an 1898 Edison wax cylinder recording studio phonograph. I guess just saying "Factory Showroom is the fifth TMBG record" and "it sounds like them" would probably prepared you for all that, and more. An excellent release. - Ravis Harnell. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Name for the list Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 14:31:39 +1100 Vote me one for this if there is a count!! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic >---------- >From: Tim Clark[SMTP:cpdog@rma.edu] >Sent: Sunday, 29 December, 1996 3:11 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Name for the list > >How about "The World's Address" for the name of the..uhhh list... > >--Tim Clark >Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 > ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Message-ID: <32D07E2F.1BCF@mixcom.com> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 22:23:11 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne Has anyone heard of them? I can't NOT here about them there on the radio and MTV all the time, theres is that Radiation vibe song ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701060458.XAA23060@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Recordings I'm looking for Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 00:13:59 -0500 Here's some concerts I'm looking for... 11/08/96 Roseland NY 12/30/95 New Years Eve (Sort-of) show at the Trocadero, Philly 04/??/95 Irving Plaza NY I believe here's the list of what I have... for set-lists, email me... 00/00/85 The Demo Tape 45m 00/00/88 Arsenio Hall Show 5m 06/17/89 The Knitting Factory, NYC 45m 11/25/89 The Bottom Line, NYC 90m 12/31/89 Quiet Life, Brooklyn 45m 01/28/90 WXRK New York Interview 45m 03/10/90 Berlin, Germany 45m (INCOMPLETE) 04/28/90 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL 45m (INCOMPLETE) 06/27/92 Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 60m (Dr. Spock's Back Up Band) 07/06/92 The Tonight Show 10m 07/27/92 Cola Mt. (???) 35m 08/00/92 Coach House, San Juan, CA 45m 09/03/92 KITS Studio, San Francisco, CA 20m 09/19/92 Valentine Hall, Amherst, MA 100m 10/05/92 Modjeska Theater, Milwaukee, WI 100m 09/29/93 The Stone Balloon, Newark, DE 90m 04/20/94 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 10/14/94 Sony Music Studios, NYC 60m 11/02/94 Buffalo, NY 100m 03/11/95 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 90m 03/14/95 WXRT Chicago Interview 45m 08/02/95 Beacon Theater, NYC 45m 09/23/96 Charlottesville, VA 80m -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 00:07:01 -0500 Message-ID: <970106000700_70805672@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-lis In a message dated 97-01-05 03:38:01 EST, you write: << >Ana Ng (Flans sang the "bridge" part in high falsetto) I LOVE that freaking part. :D Does anyone else here agree with me that the one on the actual *album* kinda sounds like Courtney Love? That's always who I picture saying it when I listen to it. :) >> That's amazing, I mentioned that to someone about three years ago and he didn't agree at all. nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-5 ****************************