Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-50 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 50 Thursday, 20 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: if you'll indulge me for a moment... TMBG: What is TCNJ?/Ticket Policy TMBG: Monopuff and the devil went down to MTV TMBG: CARDS! TMBG: Trading Cards TMBG: -No Subject- Re: TMBG: Those Blasted TMBG CARDS RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... TMBG: cards wanted! TMBG: Cards TMBG: cards (delete if you're sick of this thread) (none) TMBG: SSS . . . Another direction / The UK TMBG: random Tshirt idea TMBG: doh TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Re: TMBG: random Tshirt idea TMBG: TMBG Live! Re: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... TMBG: Misc T Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? TMBG: Aha! My real TMBG card! Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Re: TMBG: TMBG Live! Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Re: TMBG: doh Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? TMBG: Lets see, MIKE LEFFEL, What could HE be talking about? TMBG: cards? TMBG: Re:TMBG cards/ some non TMBG/ Some TMBG you decide if it's worth reading or not TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish TMBG: Cards! TMBG: Cards- STOP!! Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Re: TMBG: Cards- STOP!! TMBG: We've created a monster!!! Re: TMBG: doh TMBG: Misheard Lyrics Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! TMBG: Those Damn AKAs!!!!! Re: TMBG: Misheard Lyrics Re: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish TMBG: A really cool dream TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-49 tmbg: sss...another direction Re: TMBG: Monopuff and the devil went down to MTV Sorta TMBG: READ IF GOING TO Friday's Concert at IP or just read anyway TMBG: TMBG CARDS: SORRY! DON'T MEAN TO BOTHER THE NON:aka PEOPLE! TMBG: RE:SSS. etc. TMBG: more cards! (all that hate this, excersize pressind 'delete') RE: TMBG: Trading Cards RE: TMBG: Trading Cards Re: TMBG: CARDS RE: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... TMBG: Trading cards.. TMBG: new AKA RE: TMBG: random Tshirt idea RE: TMBG: cards wanted! TMBG: soul coughing in pittsburgh TMBG: Ann Arbor instore appearance TMBG: state cards? TMBG: The Edison Museum Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor instore appearance RE: TMBG: TMBG Live! TMBG: Cards (Out of control, but I love it :) RE: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? RE: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish RE: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! TMBG: TMBG cards NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project RE: TMBG: state cards? RE: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project TMBG: Trading Cards TMBG: trading card madness! + OAT TMBG: TMBG Mondegreen TMBG: Cards.. and stuff.. RE: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project TMBG: Fw: TMBG: Ypsi Show TMBG: Re: Trading Cards Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? TMBG: Lookout, more CARD NONSENSE TMBG: Cards Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 02:40:34 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: if you'll indulge me for a moment... I just thought of the craziest thing... along the lines of these "TMBG Trading Cards" a history of the cards, the sets they belong to, as it vaguely parallels the development of Magic: The Gathering, which I'm also familiar with... so here it goes: Limited Edition Split into two printings, Alpha (released in 1984) and Beta (1985), these are almost identical. Both fairly small sets, and black bordered, they contain such cards as "Hell Hotel," "Cowtown," "Everything Right is Wrong Again," and "I'm Def." (essentially the songs on the 1985 demo tape) Plus various instances of John & John from 1984-1986. (note: Alpha actually corresponds to the 1984 demo, and is very difficult to obtain) Unilmited Edition - released early 1987 White bordered cards. The set is identical to Limited in all other respects, but "Hell Hotel," "I'm Def," "Which Describes How You're Feeling," "They Might Be Giants," and "Become a Robot" have been removed. This set also includes things from the Lincoln era, and various Dial-a-Song items from that time period. 3rd Edition Revised - released 1990 "They Might Be Giants" is put *back* into the set, along with many new additions from the Flood era. 4th Edition Revised - released 1992 "Which Describes How You're Feeling" and "I'm Def" put back into the set but are slightly different in appearance. Rumors fly that the tape machine will be removed in all subsequent editions. Collectors hurry to get cards before they're all gone. The "Fingertips" series is also added, with 21 similarly themed cards. Then they started the expansions. The first expansion, which came out around the same time as 4th edition (in this case, that is), contains the "Kurt Hoffman," "Tony Maimone," and "Jon D. Feinberg" cards, among other things. The next expansion, released in 1993, contains these cards, plus "Randy Andos" and "Steven Bernstein," the latter of whom was later removed and replaced with "Jim O'Connor." Also in that expansion, "Jon D. Feinberg" was removed and replaced with "Brian Doherty." There were rumors in late 1995 that "Brian Doherty" would actually be rotated into the main set, but these were proven false earlier this year. So what can we expect from 5th edition? They'll probably bring back a lot of the cards from the earlier editions, sort of as a "nostalgia" thing, and also to allow newer collectors to get new editions of the older cards. They will most likely have vastly different appearances, though. (you can't expect the new "Kittens" to be the same as the old, can you?) It should be out later this spring, though... I'm looking forward to it. I can't really think of anything else... comments? additions? flames? more card ideas? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 03:22:31 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge and/or Criag Subject: TMBG: What is TCNJ?/Ticket Policy Message-ID: Harlan hit it right on the head. The College of New Jersey was known as Trenton State College until June 27, 1996. And to the person who asked about directions from Sussex County: Try 206 south to 31 south. It may work. NOTE: The tickets will be available ONLY to current TCNJ students for the first few days after they go on sale. There may be only a few (if any) left when the tickets go on sale to the general public. And no, I cannot buy tickets for you. You must come to the college and buy them yourself. This will be cleared up when all the info becomes available. Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Ohhh... isn't that cute?? BUT IT'S WRONG!!!" Hollywood from "2 Stupid Dogs" "This land is your land, this land is your land, get off of my land, i'll kill you now..." TMBG * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702191241.MAA10898@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:43:53 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Monopuff and the devil went down to MTV Josh said something about Monopuff being sort of on MTV with a song called The Devil Weent Down To Georgia, um, did it actually say Monopuff because this song is by the Levellers (although its a cover) and is incredibly simular, thematically speaker to Monopuffs. Its about a violin contest though. Its very good. I''ve got card #666 from the alpha set: Flans nicks the Devil's surfboard (limited 3D edition) if anyones interested Love and Sandwiches Nyaralathotep Oh and Remember - Everybody's different, that's why we're all alone ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:54:54 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: CARDS! Message-ID: I haven't been paying attention for a while... can someone tell me something: Is all this talk about these so-called TMBG trading cards legitimate or is everyone just bullshitting about their imaginary cards? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702191258.MAA12923@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:00:45 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Trading Cards OK Guys, I'm compling a complete list of trading cards, and whenever a new one appears its going to go down on my list. I might start designing them, but I have no scaanner so the internet will probably not be able to see them, any ideas? I have the idea of one of each album cover, with backwards listing of all the tracks around the edges in very small writing and they'd all have the same back cover, and yes I have a lot, a lot of time on my hand at the moment, if anyone wants to go this project with me, e-mail me privatly. Just for the record I am an sad ex-magic and Jyhad player (the two most widely played trading card games) and have a complete set of each. I've never seen the blue thing card though. au revior Nyara (Jon) ******************************************** * You don't seem to understand * * I don't want to shake your father's hand * * Or walk in the sand or act like a man * ******************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:19:25 -0500 Message-Id: <9702191319.AA21003@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: -No Subject- >Anyhow....thanks to all of you who emailed me about my car >accident....like I said, I wasn't hurt or anything. But, as I looked at >my bumper lying on the snowy pavement, my first thought was "my TMBG >bumper sticker!!! Oh no, I'll have to get a new one!" Wow! Which phase of TMBG addiction is this? I would imagine it is somewhere up in the teens. Phase 15 of TMBG Addiction: "After being involved in an accident, instead of worrying about injuries or damage, your first thoughts center around the loss of your TMBG items (CDs, tapes, bumper stickers, etc.) Once you realize they are alright or can be replaced you then breathe a sigh of relief." >I have a double of card #189 "John Henry Kids" and I'm dying to trade it >for card #59 "Nightmare Johns" >Amy :) >cowtown@tmbg.org I have #7 of the special series "Tape machine shock". It is a picture of the shocked expression on the John's faces when the reel of the tape machine breaks during an early show. Erik J. Chuss ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:26:18 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: Those Blasted TMBG CARDS Message-Id: On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Remember, all you puppies who got the Factory Showroom > Special Edition Box Set.. there's a Hidden Card beneath the > fake floor on the box.. you may have to use scissors to > get to it... That's strange, my scissors don't seem to work. Anyway, does anyone want to trade for my limited edition "John and John find a rock to wind a string around" card? It coms with a bonus prosthetic forehead. ;) -Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702191332.IAA08316@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:31:06 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? >>You're telling me... what I want to know is why they went from >>15 card packs to 8 cards... Aside from making it harder to collect the complete set, I imagine the smaller packs allow for more of the "chaser" cards and subsets so popular with fans. My last pack was a winner, loaded with special edition cards: TMBG LIVE! Flans' two horns better than one. (from the TMBG LIVE! subset) Backstage hummus! Lincoln cover Joshua Fried: Favorite Remixes Look at all the people in the window! (In-store Super Action subset) "They're not saying anything!" James K. Polk infocard TMBG LIVE! Brian hammers on the glockenspiel (from the TMBG LIVE! subset) My Lincoln cover isn't a card, but a sticker. Peel and display! I know there have been many trading cards issued in the 80's and 90's devoted to music, but let's peel back to the late 70's. Anybody remember the music set that was devoted (I think) to only four bands: Queen, the Village People, the Babys, and KISS. Because whoever issued the cards evidently didn't feel any one of these bands was worthy of a full set of their own, you had to collect cards from these four very different bands in order to get cards you really wanted. Very much in the style of (and during the height of) Star Wars and Charlie's Angels cards. Come to think of it, nearly any TV in the late 70's that lasted more than a season had a set of cards. Peace, Brett (wondering where his "Here's Bo!" Bo Derek cards and his Wacky Packages are today) ***Now playing: The Who - _Who's Next_ _____________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:31:35 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... Message-ID: On Wed, 19 Feb 1997 FamousName@aol.com wrote: ** Please feel free to download it... :) OK! Now, someone did mention that it would be cool to make these things for real. I mentioned it first, no one seemed to care. However, anyone feel like making this a project? We could make it into a huge fiasco, just like the list t-shirts! Wouldn't that be great? Er... OK, anyway, I say we should organize this a bit, because I think it would be supercool to actually own some TMBG trading (or otherwise) cards. I have a 24-bit scanner and a color printer at home, but I have no idea about printing on cardboard or whatnot. I don't know why I put 'or whatnot' in that last sentence, but it sounded educated somehow, didn't it? :) Maybe we could print the card designs out on paper and affix them (perhaps with some type of glue???) to cardboard. If someone could draw the designs, and smail them to me, or email them if they're on the computer, I could print them out (or something). We should get some people to draw them, some people to standardize a design and come up with sets and all that, and some people to weed out the bad ideas, so that we don't have stupid cards. And, of course, we've all (well, not me, but...) been coming up with great ideas for cards already, so we've got that taken care of. So! Ideas, comments? Work with me people! RS PS That thing about glue was supposed to be funny... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702191501.AA27911@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:48:05 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: cards wanted! Hi there! I desperately need cards #58 & #59 in the 'linnell makes a fool of himself' subset. #58 is 'The Backwards Pants Incident' and has writing at the bottom: 'When Linnell accidenty showed up on stage with his pants on backwards, he performed the entire show facing backwards so that his pants would face in the correct direction.' Card #59 is 'Linnell plays Particle Man with his accordian upside down!' and is a special scratch 'n' sniff edition. (The accordian smells like blueberries, I hear.) I'd be willing to trade my 4-card subset called 'Interchangeable Heads' featuring Brian Doherty, Dan Hickey, Tony Maimone and Grahm Maby, the heads of Brian and Dan pop out and can be placed on the body of the other drummer, and the same with Tony and Grahm. I hear this will be an open-ended series in which new cards will be released as TmBg go through more drummers and bass players. I have also heard a rumor that there will be horn section Interchangeable heads in the near future. Also, from the 'Flans Gets Married' '96 limited set, I have the rare 'Flans and wife dance to The Famous Polka.' Oh, and I'd be willing to trade my 'Badass Flans smacks Wah-Wah with Guitar' for any other two of the Badass Flans subset. Happy Christmas! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:55:26 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Cards Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... I'm trying to get rid of my set of cards at the moment and am wondering what monetary value I'll be offered for the "John & John get lynched after refusing to play Birdhouse" from the TMBG LIVE! set and also the "John Flansburgh weeps because no-one takes in an interest into how to pronounce his name" ANy offeres? _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:33:54 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: cards (delete if you're sick of this thread) Message-ID: Well, let's see. I've got the scratch-and-sniff "Flans' French Toast Recipe Goes Horribly, Horribly Wrong" card. Also, there's the holographic action "Psychotic Linnell With Lawnmower." Watch Linnell run over the squirrels! Fun, fun! Whee! (remember this thread, anybody? For the life of me, I can't remember how that got started or what it was about, but who cares. :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702191542.KAA15992@gamera.syr.edu> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:42:56 -0500 From: "\"\"Daniel J. Fawcett\"\"" I've been getting slammed with messages from the group, and it's eating up space. To be brief, I've tried to remove myself from the list five times, with no sucess. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? E-mail me, so it doesn't take up any more unnecessary space (sorry this in non-tmbg) djfawcet@syr.edu ------------------------------ From: BilyGdzily@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:02:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219110213_1248345380@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: SSS . . . Another direction / The UK About this SSS thing: Has anyone mentioned the similarities between that Gloria Gaynor (Gainer(?), Gainor(?), Gayner(?), etc.) song, "I Will Survive" and Their "The Biggest One" from the Don't Let's Start (MiscT) CD? Specifically the line, "Should have changed that stupid lock. Shlould have thrown away the key. Oh, no, not I. I will survive right down here on my knees", as compared to a similar line in Gaynor's ((sp?) see above) song. Not that I normally listen to the aforementioned female artist, but for some reason their playing that song to the death right now on German radio and I couldn't help noticing the similarity. Now, on to the UK thing: There seems to be some disagreement as to when FS came out in Britain, or whether it has come out at all. I know for sure that it has been available on the continent since about the middle of January. I was able to get a copy of FS and the S-E-X-X-Y single CD here in Germany then. What's the story with European tour dates, though? That question remains open, and I would appreciate any information as soon as it is available. Billy Godzilly What's that blue thing doing here? ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:28:53 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219112845_-938678848@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: random Tshirt idea dear folkfamily, Im more than a bit out of the Tshirt loop, not knowing where we are in this process etcetera, but just had a random idea and the urge to post it. What if the Tshirts left sleeve read: "Oh, we're a freak magnet." -- John C. Flansburgh am looking to trade my john and john as joe and paul (snowball in hell II) for john and john as mulder and scully (Xfiles intro, prospect park, summer 97). -- the jen that is not the other jen :) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702191645.AA17117@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: doh Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:45:49 -0500 (EST) Ugh, I think I got the counterfeit "Faker card"! Sheez, who the heck is not playing nice!? Matt ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330B2F26.6C77@trib.infi.net> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:49:42 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Does anyone have a list off all those trading card ideas proposed? Maybe some one should put up a web page devoted to their honour!! And then we could compile an insane amount of stupid little names for these, and TOPPS might pick it up!! ;) Anyway, just a thought!!! Boba ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 12:12 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: random Tshirt idea What if the Tshirts left sleeve read: > >"Oh, we're a freak magnet." -- John C. Flansburgh Can I just say that would be freakin' awesome? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702191714.AA17175@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Live! Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:14:14 -0500 (EST) Hey D Robertson, I'll trade for the "John & John get lynched for not playing Birdhouse" card i n the TMBG Live! set if you want my "Ladies & Gentlement" card, also in the TMBG Live! set. I recently got a double of this in my 8-pack (with the special Cover Songs insert): They Might Be Black (very rare!) Factory Showroom cover John & John play Frankenstein insert Jamie Kitman: Manager of Steel John Henry Full-Band Recording Sessions Flansburgh meets Guitar-Laden Bush Singer The Johns sign with Elektra Flansburgh Swearing at Angry Fans -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:14:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219121429_-804582665@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... << I have a 24-bit scanner and a color printer at home, Maybe we could print the card designs out on paper and affix them (perhaps with some type of glue???) to cardboard. If someone could draw the designs, and smail them to me, or email them if they're on the computer, I could print them out (or something). We should get some people to draw them, some people to standardize a design and come up with sets and all that, and some people to weed out the bad ideas, so that we don't have stupid cards. And, of course, we've all (well, not me, but...) been coming up with great ideas for cards already, so we've got that taken care of. So! Ideas, comments? Work with me people! >> Why can't we design them on our computers (ie MS PAINT), and email them to whoever would be in charge of the production. I am not much of an artist, but I could probably do a few... Here's another idea. How about whenever someone includes a card in their post, they also attach a gif or jpg version or they describe how it would look. Call me crazy or Joel, Joel (Proud owner of the John's working at a fast food drive-in trying to hear an order) PS: I know I am not including a gif or jpg, but I don't feel like doing it now! ~~ http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:15:21 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Misc T Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... Does anyone know if "Miscalaneous" is the same album as "Miscalaneous T"? (And I realise that I can't spell it). I ask because I've just ordered a copy of it which might come from America, it might not, and I would like to make sure I've ordered the right album. Thank you. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 12:00 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction + more cards stuff >On a similar note - I put on a black turtleneck the other day and my >roommate commented that I looked like John Linnell when I was wearing >it. So naturally I picked up my accordion..... (didn't get a picture >this time :) Hmmm... There's a *very* tall, skinny guy who competes against me at forensics tournaments. I'd always thought he looked somewhat like a blonde-haired Linnell, but maybe it's just the fact that he wears a black turtleneck. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: 19 Feb 1997 17:29:51 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc1e81$7657a0c0$LocalHost@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? > Mike "We must destroy Donna Donna at all costs" Leffel > maleffel@ncfcomm.com > Oh, don't you have the "#69 Flansy gives Donna Donna a six-stringed enema, Live in NY" card? Also, word is that Hallmark has trademarked the term "cards", and as a result the next series is called "They Might Be Giants Trading AKA". Just released is an Australian Tour Edition FS Series, which contains four additional cards. Unfortunately it costs $25 in the US, so no-one will buy the imports. Russ Josephson has made available his second edition print sheet, with random cards photocopied on an A4 page. Some of the cards are a bit blurry though. Flansy's project, formerly known as "Card of the Month" is renamed "Card of the Year" because of shipping delays. Sarah LinnellGirl followed the advice of another listie, and had sex with a bouncer at a show. In return he gets her an autographed "Flansies autographed used serviette with Big AKA (popular burger) stains". She posts this to the list and within the week has sent out 612 photocopies. Anyhow, I have the following AKA's for trade: (if anyone has a spare "Flansy picks up an accordion as a joke") #114 Linnell Eating in Public #154 The Johns celebrate an on-time Elektra release #163 Flansy subscribing to the list #205 Radioactive Johns #209 Eric collects his hate mail (he'll need a crane) #241 Hair-in-curlers Doherty #300 The Johns cheer as Leo bashes Ifleishinger #301 Coiled's Mum (Mom in the USA) smacks his attention-starved backside Also, what id the correct size for an AKA? I mean, now that people are making their own it would be nice if we agreed to a size / proportion so that they look like a cohesive set when printed. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:16:59 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? At 11:49 AM -0500 2/19/97, BOBA wrote: >Does anyone have a list off all those trading card ideas proposed? >Maybe some one should put up a web page devoted to their honour!! > >And then we could compile an insane amount of stupid little names for >these, and TOPPS might pick it up!! ;) > i'd be glad to set up and maintain a page of trading cards, if people want to send me pictures and/or just names for their trading cards i'll put them up along with any of the old card ideas that have been posted, respond to me personally if you think this is a good idea, however i don't want to do it if a thousand other people are also going to do the same thing, i think one page dedicated to TMBG trading cards is enough... Trippy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:26:03 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Aha! My real TMBG card! Message-ID: I forgot! I already have a real TMBG card... it's wallet / business card size, which means 2.5 by 1.5 inches, if i remember correctley. The front is the standard picture of J & J looking upwards into the camera, John with an accordian and John with a guitar. On the back, it has the words "they might be giants" repeated through the background, faded, and then a list of all albums and singles released in sequential order (no Records or special recordings listed, however.) I made it myself. Whee :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330B43BE.2330@trib.infi.net> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:17:34 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Trippy wrote: > > At 11:49 AM -0500 2/19/97, BOBA wrote: > >Does anyone have a list off all those trading card ideas proposed? > >Maybe some one should put up a web page devoted to their honour!! > > > >And then we could compile an insane amount of stupid little names for > >these, and TOPPS might pick it up!! ;) > > > i'd be glad to set up and maintain a page of trading cards, if people want > to send me pictures and/or just names for their trading cards i'll put them > up along with any of the old card ideas that have been posted, respond to > me personally if you think this is a good idea, however i don't want to do > it if a thousand other people are also going to do the same thing, i think > one page dedicated to TMBG trading cards is enough... > > Trippy Very good, I think that Trippy should do this then, as he called it!!! ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:33:39 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Live! If anybody's interested, I've got the following: The Special, Limited edition "March 1990 Sassy" cards #116- Flansy de-pantses the entire band, 1995 (the REAL reason Tony Maimone left) #171- Linnell, drunk, shaking his groove thing with his new buddy Beck at the Knitting Factory, 1997 #208- Linnell, drunk again, doing "Cornholio" imitations for a pissed-off crowd in Nebraska, 1996 #214- Flans mooning a pissed- off crowd in Conneticut, 1993 #257- Flesh Fest '96 Collectors Card #305- Flans in a dress #330- Flans and Linnell kicking the Gallagher brothers' loutish asses #401- Flans leads the crowd in "YMCA", 1992 #917- TMBG Gap Ad Card-1990 (Flans in Gap jeans, flannel shirt & posing with a cool- looking guitar: Linnell in Gap Khakis, black turtleneck holding accordion) #912- Mrs. Flans 1994 Edition Band Card 1995 Special Set- TMBG's Tribute to the Rocky Horror Picture Show: #1- Flans as Eddie #2- Kurt Hoffman as Columbia #3- Tony as Riff #4- Brian as Magenta #5-Randy Andos as Rocky #6- Jim O'Connor as Brad #7- Linnell as Janet #8- Graham Maby as Dr. Frank (in 1996 Eric Schemerhorn would play Dr. Frank. Graham would play Riff.) mouse (in 1996 Eric Schemerhorn would play Dr. Frank [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] > Does anyone have a list of all those trading card ideas > proposed? I'm compiling one now. >Maybe some one should put up a web page devoted to > their honour!! I'm including them in my web page. Look for them next week. > And then we could compile an insane amount of stupid little > names for these, and TOPPS might pick it up!! ;) Be nice, huh. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 13:44:14 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id NAA12772 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:44:14 -0500 Message-Id: <199702191852.MAA07662@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: Re: TMBG: doh Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:41:28 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" ---------- > From: Matthew James > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: doh > Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 10:45 AM > > Ugh, I think I got the counterfeit "Faker card"! Sheez, who the heck is > not playing nice!? > Matt ;) WE MUST FIND THIS... COUNTERFIT MAKER! Mike "Hee Hee, looky at the mess of Card lovers!" Leffel A cartoonist without a scanner maleffel@ncfcomm.com From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 13:44:13 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id NAA12768 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:44:13 -0500 Message-Id: <199702191852.MAA07665@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:44:32 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" ---------- > From: Royce M. Lee > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS... BETTER THAN SEX OR SPAM? > Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 11:29 AM > > > Mike "We must destroy Donna Donna at all costs" Leffel > > maleffel@ncfcomm.com > > Also, word is that Hallmark has trademarked the term "cards", and as a > result the next series is called "They Might Be Giants Trading AKA". > > Also, what id the correct size for an AKA? I mean, now that people are > making their own it would be nice if we agreed to a size / proportion so > that they look like a cohesive set when printed. > Royce M. Lee > parvenu@ozemail.com.au > Okay everyone, Royce has the right Idea.. THEY WILL BE KNOWN AS AKA'S!!! Mike "We'll do this yet!" Leffel Purveyor of People Who Like The Cards Ideas From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 13:52:29 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id NAA12945 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:52:29 -0500 Message-Id: <199702191901.NAA07846@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:55:48 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" I would like to officially volunteer to either be on the following: *Overall Design Board *Name Thinker Upper *Cartoony Fellow *Weed Out Persony or *Person Who Gets Some Credit, Along With Evan, For Starting this mess. Basically, I WANT TO DRAW. I can do some nutty Tony Millionaire-esque things, or something else. Damn, I wish I had a scanner right about now.. Mike " But screw Topps, Boba... they'd steal the idea!" Leffel ..mmm.. I do know of a couple printers.. bah, I'm sure a Kinko's would do it. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:00:49 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13102 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:00:49 -0500 Message-Id: <199702191909.NAA08017@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: TMBG: Lets see, MIKE LEFFEL, What could HE be talking about? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:04:17 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" Not to be a whiny, but.... Could (whoever is compiling) please LIST THE NAMES of those who came up with the cards??? Like, if Joe Shmoe thought up a card, then list his/her names by the card? you knwo what I mean? Huh? Mike "By the way, I have a real problem with getting ideas miscredited" Leffel Way back in high school, the crappy newspaper (school) made me draw some crappy drawings for some crappy articles. I did this for a year or so. FIVE of the EIGHT issues I had drawn in (And the ONLY drawings, btw) were creditied to a buffoon who could not draw!!!!!!!! GAAAAAA!!!! GAAAA!!!!! I HATE YOU RANDY!!!!! I HAAAATEE YOU!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! But, a year later, I took over our towns Newspaper, so I'm okay. Of course, that was the last time I was PRINTED ANYWHERE!! GAAAAAAA! GAAAAAAAAA!!!! TWO WHOLE YEARS! I HAVENT DONE ANYTHING IN TWO WHOLE YEARS! I'M ROTTING AWAY IN MY FESTERING HELL HOLE, SPIRALING HEADFIRST INTO OBSCURITY! LIKE ALL THE OTHER ARTISTS IN MY FAMILY!!!! I'M DYING! I'M DYING! NOOOOOO! I'M A FAILURE! A FAILURE!!!! WHY CAN'T I DRAW?!?! WHY!?!? WHY!??!!?!?!? ***WHYYYYYYYYYY!??!?!?!?!?!?" oh.. um,.. sorry for that... :P Mike "GAAAAAAAH!" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com (Now I'm all mental. Blast my inability to send anything in! BL:AST!!!!!!!) From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:12:18 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13256 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:12:18 -0500 X-Sender: bmcging@mail.vt.edu Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:15:44 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: TMBG: cards? Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Hello please excuse my ignorance, but could someone please explain this whole trading card thing to me. I have been out of things, and I keep seeing all these trading card messages. Are these home made, if not where do I get some? Thanks. Merciless@vt.edu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I tried goddamn it, at least I did that" -Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cukoos nest) From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:12:59 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13280 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:12:59 -0500 From: MovieGuy27@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:12:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219141214_-1173155634@emout06.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG cards/ some non TMBG/ Some TMBG you decide if it's worth reading or not Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: MovieGuy27@aol.com Hey, I work at a Kinko's! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm And I think everybody needs to be part of the NAME thinker uppers. If you limit who thinks them up it will be a sad day indeed. Kind of like complaining about the profiles being posted to the list. Why is that a problem? You want to be alone on the list? It is a GOOD thing that people want to get to know each other. well that is all I have for now, I'm mostly a lurker but this has been bugging me since last week. I think it's stupid that somebody has to complain about the profiles. Next time there is a survey maybe we could put RE: SURVEY in the box and everybody who whats to remain alone on this list can just delete this information without harm to the rest of the people who might WANT to see who he/she tallks to. Thank you and i'll see you around on the list Dan From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:13:46 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13298 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:13:46 -0500 Message-Id: <199702191922.NAA08292@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:17:15 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" Okay, here are the ways we can go about this, if we did. (1) We could make them only for the computer (gif, jpeg, etc) (2) We could organize artwork and such, and delegate someone to assemble them, and redistribute them among ourselves. (3) We could all just make our own, either computer or real life, and trade online, or in person just to.. da da.. identify ourselves and make us look cool at concerts. (4) We could organize, assemble, and all chip in to actually find a printer who could make them, and each buy them (i don't know. I'm sure there are printers who could do this) (5) We could make them for ourselves, and then we could give a set to the Johns as Tribute, and be seen as cool (read: freaks) in their eyes. I got it to work with Douglas Adams, so who knows. (6) we could really get sued (7) We could get ripped off big time (8) We could go out on a limb and make them into some sort of 'Magic' game that appears to be popular with the kiddies.. (I draw a Hot Cup Of Coffee... I toss the card in the pile, thus spilling the Coffee on your Bass Lovin' Flansburgh) (9) We could all just drop this now, in turn preserving our souls.. OR (10)Watch in horror or relief as TMBG people who are lurking take this idea and make their own, not regarding us in the least. Thats all. Mike "James Ensor. Really. Look at my Stigmata" Leffel From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:21:38 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13461 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:21:38 -0500 X-Sender: WGLODELL@baraboo.com X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Version 1.4.4 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Cards! Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:21:44 -0600 Message-ID: <19970219192144211.AAA233@ppp175.baraboo.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) I have a couple million messages (down to about 50) left to read, from not reading over weekend or anything. And i decided to jump ahead and read all the card messages first and i love the idea! If anyone actually wants to do the project, or maybe just leave it as a webpage, i'd like to do something for it! Like maybe make a few cards, come up with (even more!) ideas for them, design the web page (i guess this was taken...), scan them in (I HAVE A SCANNER AND TOO MUCH FREE TIME!), beg topps to print them, steal any money we'll need, etc. I know! I could try to design a border and a back! i think the backs should have little descriiptions/stories on them but be in a basic format like baseball cards. Wyatt "wants to be like Leffel but cant think of anything right now" Glodell From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:23:35 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13481 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:23:35 -0500 From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:22:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219142254_1845800932@emout08.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Cards- STOP!! Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: SquirlHead@aol.com Would everyone please stop taking up list space with this ridiculous card thread! Out of the last twenty-five posts, maybe five of them were actually TMBG related. If you're going to make real cards like many of you have said, then set up an arrangement not on the list itself. I don't mean to sound like a party-pooper, but PLEASE, this is driving me crazy!!! Awaiting flames, Dan E. Boy From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:43:14 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13808 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:43:14 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:44:08 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction In-reply-to: To: Lawrence P Solomon Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: MIME-version: 1.0 Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: sPyDiiR To me, "See the constellation" sounds a lot like a Beatles' song--with all that twangy eastern music in the background. It also reminds me of an Ac/DC song in a way I cannot really put into words. ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Feb-97 Re: TMBG: SSS...another > dir.. by Jonah@baka.com > > > That's really weird, because I've always thought narrow your eyes sunded > > like a good paul McCartney song, but played it for my non-TMBG-fan friends > > and they told me I was nuts. If I had to name a specific song, I think > > stylistically and somewhat lyrically, it's similar to For No One, on(I > > think) revolver. Of course, I wouldn't rule out my being nuts anyway. The > > bridge to window? Hmm. > > I'm not sure which song it would be if I had to pick one, but it's been > described as Beatles-esque by many people. > > > Never noticed that. > > The background music of it, anyway, and the tempo. It's slow, in a > minor key, etc. I wish I could place a general time period on it as to > what it sounds like... or what song in particular. Probably some of > the earlier material. > From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:48:51 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA13998 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:48:51 -0500 X-Sender: mja4@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu Message-Id: In-Reply-To: <970219142254_1845800932@emout08.mail.aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:52:52 -0500 To: SquirlHead@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards- STOP!! Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Trippy At 2:22 PM -0500 2/19/97, SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: >Would everyone please stop taking up list space with this ridiculous card >thread! Out of the last twenty-five posts, maybe five of them were actually >TMBG related. If you're going to make real cards like many of you have said, >then set up an arrangement not on the list itself. I don't mean to sound >like a party-pooper, but PLEASE, this is driving me crazy!!! > >Awaiting flames, what the hell do you want, the cards thread is TMBG related, and pretty damn funny for that matter! i know i could hardly tear myself away from the Linnell pronounciation thread but it seems like the trading cards are great way to waste list space... btw why are some people so concerned with "taking up list space" or "wasting space on the list." Is the list going to fill up in the near future? oh no look at all the space i'm taking up :P anyway i think i'll go back to my garbage can now... Trippy "the Grouch" From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 14:49:14 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id OAA14011 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:49:14 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970219144846.006f7694@mail.ee.net> X-Sender: chakroff@mail.ee.net X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:48:46 -0500 To: "tmbg-list@tmbg.org" From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Evan Chakroff These damn cards... anyone have #173 (from Lincoln set) Exploding Macintosh ?? Anyway, now for some substance: I think we should make this a project. I would be glad to "weed out the bad cards" as someone put it. (Cause I'm good at telling people that what they made SUCKS :) Whoever wants to be in charge of this should go to the digest archives and find where it started and save all those digests. Once I have time, I pay slap together a standard card face idea. Or someone else could do it. (What are the dimentions of a card?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:02:42 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14181 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:02:42 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970219150227.006f0b6c@mail.ee.net> X-Sender: chakroff@mail.ee.net X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:02:27 -0500 To: "tmbg-list@tmbg.org" From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: doh In-Reply-To: <9702191645.AA17117@envy.loyola.edu> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Evan Chakroff At 11:45 AM 2/19/97 -0500, Matthew James wrote: >Ugh, I think I got the counterfeit "Faker card"! Sheez, who the heck is >not playing nice!? >Matt ;) You think that's bad, my "Faker Card" is counterfeit, too, but the corner is ripped off so it reads "Fake " Hey, is anyone REALLY sick of this thread? I'd love to hear someone complain about it! Also, I'm volunteering to be the Official Person Who Tells You Which Cards SUCK. Oh yeah, anyone have the rare Edison Museum subseries? (Printed Only in black and white) That's all for now, Evan "stealing the 'quote in your name' idea" Chakroff -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:07:21 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14218 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:07:21 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:06:54 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Misheard Lyrics Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Cory Calhoun Two notable ones for me have been on "The Bells Are Ringing," when Linnell says "..with arms extended in a trance." He sounds just like he's saying "..with THUMBS extended in a trance.."....Listen! Also, I think the one that people *always* mishear (if they don't already know the real lyrics) is the "If you like a band with a chick singer..." section of "Rhythm Section Want Ad." I had the tape version of their first album, which had no lyrics printed on the inside, and the best I could make out of that section was: So if you like a bag with a chick's hair-- Say, you're company is a wallet job, oh? Jimmy D. can do the "RNBC" with the nuke to the way we know. I kept wondering, who's Jimmy D? What's a wallet job? And who's RNBC? (I do know now what the real lyrics are, mind you.) That's my story! Cory From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:10:53 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14342 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:10:53 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:10:42 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> To: ! Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? In-Reply-To: <199702191901.NAA07846@cereal.ncfcomm.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: ** *Name Thinker Upper Why not have everyone do this? Yes, I suggested we all should, and it's still a good idea. ** *Cartoony Fellow Yes, as I said before. ** *Person Who Gets Some Credit, Along With Evan, For Starting this mess. Ahem! *Cough, cough* *Nudge* ** Basically, I WANT TO DRAW. I can do some nutty Tony Millionaire-esque ** things, or something else. These would be perfect for some of the odder ideas. ** Damn, I wish I had a scanner right about now.. Anyone needing a scanner, send your drawings to be scanned to me via postal service! I have a scanner so good that you need to clean the glass and scan material because it picks up dust. And a color printer. And my friend has a professional wax printer and color plotter, if I could get ahold of it for a few days. We just want to organize all this and not get antsy and jealous of each other. I would be happy to provide info about standard dimensions/looks of trading cards.. Probably just putting these up on the web somewhere, or printing them in some sort of low/virtually no-cost fashion would work better than charging for them. I suggest setting up some sort of alternative mailing list (or version of such) for posting card ideas, etc. I would be happy to take names of people to add to this list. Just some thoughts. Probably more later. RS From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:14:00 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14376 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:14:00 -0500 X-Authentication-Warning: ccnet3.ccnet.com: pinknoiz owned process doing -bs Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:12:22 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves X-Sender: pinknoiz@ccnet3 To: "tmbg-list@tmbg.org" Subject: Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! In-Reply-To: <3.0.1.32.19970219144846.006f7694@mail.ee.net> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Robert Gonsalves On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > ... > Once I have time, I pay slap together a standard card face idea. Or someone > else could do it. (What are the dimentions of a card?) > I don't know the dimentia of regular gum-affiliated trading cards, but business cards measure 2 * 3.5 inches. When you print them out, you can then go to you local stationers and get magnets that you can slap the cards onto, making instant refrigerator (and other metallic surface) decorations. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:20:51 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14520 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:20:51 -0500 Message-Id: <199702192020.PAA15470@norwich.valley.net> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:22:44 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Those Damn AKAs!!!!! Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) #7000 1/2: Linny's Accordion Patch I have heard that this AKA in conjunction with the Linny's Accordion on Lincoln AKA (#6 Gajillion) Will make a super neato 3D moving changing real exploding accordion! But the rumor seems to be that these can only be found in limited edition bags of doritos. I'm in a black hole that hasn't gotten it's shipment of the cards, so, I will gladly trade my cat for either of the above mentioned cards. Thank you very much. PS To all those people who want to know if this is real, it isn't. PSS To all those people who don't like AKA posts, They aren't taking away any other messages, only adding new ones, if you skip over them, and just read the normal Schlock, it'll be just like old times. PSSS To all the kids with heroin eyes, don't do it, don't do it. PSSSS To all the people who are going to be at the concert on thursday but didn't tell me, thanks! PSSSSS Through the magic of thinking-of-something-else-in-the-middle-of-your-post, I have relized that I do have one other AKA: #Kappa Gamma Delta: Flans Pops his strings at the house of blues. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Currently in the imaginary 8-cd changer: XTC: Skylarking*Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol*Monopuff: Unsupervised Meat Puppets: Too High to Die*Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes* Green Day:Kerplunk*Offspring: Smash*Coyote Shivers: Coyote Shivers Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:21:22 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14545 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:21:22 -0500 From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:20:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219152036_-1173147997@emout01.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard Lyrics Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: SquirlHead@aol.com Interestingly enough, in the lyrics in the booklet, it says, "If you like a bank with a chick singer," when it's obviously supposed to be "band." Confused yet? Dan E. Boy From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:39:24 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14825 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:39:24 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:37:47 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> To: You Crazy Kids Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish In-Reply-To: <199702191922.NAA08292@cereal.ncfcomm.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > (8) We could go out on a limb and make them into some sort of > 'Magic' game that appears to be popular with the kiddies.. > (I draw a Hot Cup Of Coffee... I toss the card in the pile, > thus spilling the Coffee on your Bass Lovin' Flansburgh) Heh heh...I told my boyfriend about this whole trading card thread and he said, "You know, they ought to make some sort of customizable card game. 'Ah hah! I'll use my #44 Flans' Nifty Prop Guitar card with my #146 Spider card to crush your Eric Schermerhorn!' It'd blow Star Wars and Magic out of the water!" One of the few who isn't sick of this yet, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:40:00 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14840 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:40:00 -0500 From: Birdhous45@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:39:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219153914_378792248@emout01.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org cc: Birdhous45@aol.com Subject: TMBG: A really cool dream Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Birdhous45@aol.com OK here we go, another really cool dream.... Alright , it was the show of the 21st at irving plaza. Before i knew it, i was somehow transported onto the side stage. I watching John & John playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was ssoooo cool. Flans kept yelling something at me, and i wasn't sure what it was. They just finished up Purple Toupe, and both Johns came over to me, saying that I had to play the drums for the rest of the songs because the drum machine broke. Luckily for me, i've been a drum player for at least 6 years now, and know all the beats for their songs. I took them about 10 min. for them to set up a drum set and to get me set for what songs will be played. All of a sudden, John Linnell started to say" the Sound of the drums!!! I can hear the drums!!!!!!" . Dead silence. I didn't know what to do. Flansburg started to pat his guitar in a cool beat, and then i got the idea of what to do. I just started to play like crazy on the drums untill both Johns had to stop me. I'm not sure what happened for the rest of the concert, but after it, both John took me into their dressing rooms, and w/ Gram Maby's aggrement , take me in as their new drummer. I thought it was the coolest thing that ever happened to me............. untill i woke up from the dream, which really sucked cuz i didn't finish it. But it was still an awsome dream!!!!!!!! From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:42:57 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA14881 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:42:57 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:40:06 -0600 (CST) From: Scott Murry To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-49 tmbg: sss...another direction In-Reply-To: <199702190705.CAA02114@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Scott Murry HI! Is it just me, or does Cowtown sound alot like 10000 miles by the Proclaimers? And OF COURSE Cage and Aquarium sounds like The Age of Aquarius - that's the point! GGGGGGGG A N N DDDD A L FFFFFFF G A A NN N D D A A L F G A A N N N D D A A L F G GGG AAAAAAA N N N D D AAAAAAA L FFFFFF G G A A N N N D D A A L F G G A A N NN D D A A L F GGGGGGGG A A N N DDDD A A LLLLLLL F "The boy from LouisiAna(Ng)" From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 15:54:22 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA15045 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:54:22 -0500 Message-ID: <330B8278.63F@swbell.net> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:45:12 -0800 From: "Sr. Extopalopaketal" Organization: Whiffle-Ball Players Anonymous X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02E (Win16; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff and the devil went down to MTV References: <199702191241.MAA10898@max> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Sr. Extopalopaketal" Nope, it was definitely listed on the web page as Mono Puff's "The Devil went to Georgia". To MTV's credit, they did actually play the video once (with correct title!) on 120 minutes. I forgot to mention the pride of my collection! #251 "The evil dot matrix girl on the back of my TMBG t-shirt frightens yet another grungie at my school" josh From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:01:01 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15176 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:01:01 -0500 From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:00:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219160006_-2077083066@emout07.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Sorta TMBG: READ IF GOING TO Friday's Concert at IP or just read anyway Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Yoel97@aol.com If you are going to the concert on Friday, email me privately letting me know what to look out for. I will make an occassional mention of "I just love that Mailing List They Have!". I hope we all will have those computer disks taped to our jackets (I'll have mine front and back of my big green puffy jacket!). I'll also be wearing a Yankees WorldSeries hat. Also I would like to tape it, but I am unsure of the equipment and strategies necessary. If someone could also email me about that and how to conceal a recorder. Joel (Prowd owner of the John's looking for Their chairs after sombody kept moving them! Only 25 made!) http://members.aol.com/yoel97 From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:24:52 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15482 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:24:52 -0500 Message-Id: <199702192133.PAA10808@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" To: Subject: TMBG: TMBG CARDS: SORRY! DON'T MEAN TO BOTHER THE NON:aka PEOPLE! Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:28:07 -0600 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Mike Leffel" First off, I absolutely positively don't mean to annoy those who think this is stupid. I'm sorry if you do... I'll try to keep my posting at an absolute minimum. Okay, in the spirit of those blasted cards of Magic fame... People could contribute by one of the following: (1) Picture Any media, as long as its good, of anything TMBG or TMBGesque (2) Story or Paragraph Explaining the picture, or vice versa, or a Fan's Gushing about they're favorite band! Example: "I love TMBG! etc.." --Joe Fan (3) Overall border/card design I don't know where I was going... But that way, nobody would have to make their own card (unless of course they want to)!! Now, I've assigned a few Reserve Scanner-ers.. If this ever gets off the ground. Of course, I've forgotton who most of you are, so if you have (a) Ability (b) Scanner (c) A parent in the printing Biz SPEAK UP! :) (of course, to me or anyone else Pro-AKA... people are getting snippy and want to return to their conversations about how realistic they're dreams are and thats okay by me, I'm not about to rock the boat) La La! Mike "OOOHHOOOO!! COME ON PEOPLE! THIS COULD BE ONE GREAT FAN ACTIVITY!!!! WAHOO!!" Leffel I thank each and every one of your for your time! From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:28:14 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15616 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:28:14 -0500 Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:34:27 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" To: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: RE:SSS. etc. CC: HideAwayFolk Family Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "The Mouse O'OKC" You want a beatlesque song? Try "Sleeping In The Flowers". The harmonies, the beat...see? mouse From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:36:46 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15701 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:36:46 -0500 X-Sender: WGLODELL@baraboo.com X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Version 1.4.4 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: more cards! (all that hate this, excersize pressind 'delete') Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:36:45 -0600 Message-ID: <19970219213644248.AAA320@ppp178.baraboo.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Ok, i'm willing to trade my #100,000 1,000,000 "Melted Dial A song computer" and my #64 "Broken phone line into Flansburgh's apartment" for the VERY RARE #718 "Elektra gets something out on time" card or the #387 "Linnell running from fans after a show" or maybe #6962 "Flans is tripped by fan's broom in concert, and falls into crowd" action card and #8 "They beat up the annotying opening band because he stage dived" which is one of those neat little moving cards and it shows linnell basing their heads in with his huge keyboard!!! anyone wanna trade anything for some of my extra's? i'll trade 4:1! here they are: #85 "Linnell and flans at school working on paper" of the earliest years set #184 "They on Lettermen" from the late night series #713 "Sick Linnell can't sing on stage!" #314 "Moshing crowd card" scratch and sniff - smell the idiot moshers (sweat, beer [too much], and cigarettes) #864 "Linnell conducts spy" moving picture, see his arms move over and point at everyone! #1 "They get signed with Elektra" of the HORROR series #19 "The Guitar" video card - i have 6 of these #58 "NEW EQUIPMENT CARD" sjows every piece of new equipment, and the back has descriptions! i cant find the rest of them... i think i left them at school :) Wyatt "cant think of any good cards" Glodell From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:52:57 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15945 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:52:57 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Nyaralathotep'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: Trading Cards Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:52:12 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >--------- >From: Nyaralathotep[SMTP:J.Vile@roehampton.ac.uk] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 5:00 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Trading Cards > >OK Guys, I'm compling a complete list of trading cards, and whenever >a new one appears its going to go down on my list. I might start >designing them, but I have no scaanner so the internet will probably >not be able to see them, any ideas? I have the idea of one of each >album cover, with backwards listing of all the tracks around the >edges in very small writing and they'd all have the same back cover, >and yes I have a lot, a lot of time on my hand at the moment, if >anyone wants to go this project with me, e-mail me privatly. Too Late. I have a complete spreadsheet, listing all cards posted to this list. It also includes such information as to which series they belong to, whether they're Limited, Holographic, Flip, Action, Puzzle, Discontinued, ActualSound!(tm), Error, Group Photo, Alternate Version, Sticker, Team-Ups, etc. I also have a chronological list of all posters of new cards, along with the email address of the poster. I also have a full Front design for the cards, and a Back design for the Series cards. Normal Cards will probably be whatever the border color/pattern is, with the exception of Flip Cards, which will have another Front pattern on their back. THERE ARE A COUPLE NUMBER CHANGES, due to duplicate #'s. I've tried to keep the number for the original poster of that number, but in a couple cases, such as #3, there was a very good reason for a newer card to be at that number. Here's the list of changes I had to make: #3 "Jay Sherman Godfrey, The Great" has become #4 #23 "AntiMoshing They" has become #24 #23 "James K. Polk" has become #22 #34 "Lurking Lister" has become #33 #59 "Nightmare Johns" has become #60 #70 "4/1/94 TMBG's tour manager plays dirty trick ......" has become #71 If you have a problem with a change in the number of a card you submitted, please contact me personally. Also, here's how I set up the numbering system: - Everything is part of the same number set, to avoid confusion. This means that S56 "Factory Showroom" is card 56, with the logo for the series on the front and the series info on the back. There is no other card 56. - Letters after the card # indicate special status: AV Alternate Version of another card LE Limited Edition or Rare ST Sticker Card A Action Card D Discontinued E Error Card F Flip Card (Additional Front Scheme on the back) G Image on card is a Group Photo H Holographic P Puzzle version of the card S AcualSound!(tm) T Team-Ups Note that some of these ('D' for instance) won't appear on the card itself, and different versions of the card may be made, such as with and without an 'F', with and without an 'H', etc. I'll be posting the complete list of cards and series' to the web here soon, along with my designs for the cards themselves, for comments. Specifically, there's 63 of the 100+ cards that have no associated card number. This includes all but 2 of the series'. (I assigned the Apollo 18 series the number S18 for obvious reasons.) (: >Just for the record I am an sad ex-magic and Jyhad player (the two >most widely played trading card games) and have a complete set of >each. I've never seen the blue thing card though. > >au revior >Nyara (Jon) Although, Jon, if you wanted to go through the list and try to categorize them into these new "release" categories, I'd really appreciate it. Let me know though, so I know what format you want the spreadsheet in (it's in Excel 7.0 right now). Jesse, who spent his entire day doing this pretty much. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 16:54:22 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id QAA15971 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:54:22 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Nyaralathotep'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: Trading Cards Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:54:07 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Nyaralathotep[SMTP:J.Vile@roehampton.ac.uk] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 5:00 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Trading Cards > >OK Guys, I'm compling a complete list of trading cards, and whenever >a new one appears its going to go down on my list. I might start >designing them, but I have no scaanner so the internet will probably >not be able to see them, any ideas? I have the idea of one of each >album cover, with backwards listing of all the tracks around the >edges in very small writing and they'd all have the same back cover, >and yes I have a lot, a lot of time on my hand at the moment, if >anyone wants to go this project with me, e-mail me privatly. Oh, BTW: I DO have access to a full-color scanner, I work on a Pentium 166, an HP/UX machine, and an Amiga, and I have full Travan tape backups. (: Oh, I also have my own web site. *grin* Jesse > From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:05:25 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16117 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:05:25 -0500 From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:04:44 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219170442_2094547751@emout05.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kamesennin@aol.com I would suggest (any other ex-Magic players out there?) to make the cards Magic Card size, not playing card (i.e. King, Jack, Ace, etc.) size, as these will better fit into those protective plastic binder sleevie things. I believe a Magic card is about 2 and a half inches by just a hair shorter than 3 and a half inches. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:10:20 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16239 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:10:20 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Ryan Staib'" <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:10:06 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Ryan Staib[SMTP:97starya@james.hawken.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 6:31 AM >To: ! >Subject: Re: NONTMBG: An actual trading card for you to download... > >On Wed, 19 Feb 1997 FamousName@aol.com wrote: > >** Please feel free to download it... :) > > OK! Now, someone did mention that it would be cool to make these >things for real. I mentioned it first, no one seemed to care. However, anyone >feel like making this a project? We could make it into a huge fiasco, just >like the list t-shirts! Wouldn't that be great? Er... OK, anyway, I say we >should organize this a bit, because I think it would be supercool to actually >own some TMBG trading (or otherwise) cards. I have a 24-bit scanner and a >color printer at home, but I have no idea about printing on cardboard or >whatnot. I don't know why I put 'or whatnot' in that last sentence, but it >sounded educated somehow, didn't it? :) Maybe we could print the card designs >out on paper and affix them (perhaps with some type of glue???) to cardboard. >If someone could draw the designs, and smail them to me, or email them if >they're on the computer, I could print them out (or something). We should get >some people to draw them, some people to standardize a design and come up >with sets and all that, and some people to weed out the bad ideas, so that we >don't have stupid cards. And, of course, we've all (well, not me, but...) >been coming up with great ideas for cards already, so we've got that taken >care of. So! Ideas, comments? Work with me people! Um, I can probably track down someplace that will print our designs on real cards for fairly cheap. I mean, if we're gunna do this, let's do it right the first time. Also, as I said earlier, I have access to alot of equipment and software, including things like Photoshop, which most people use for magazine ads/etc. >RS > >PS That thing about glue was supposed to be funny... > *giggle* *oh wait, guys aren't supposed to giggle* *who said?* *good question* *why am I talking to myself?* *because you're a TMBG fan* *Oh.* The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:28:28 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16557 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:28:28 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:28:09 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Trading cards.. Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Beth Connell Well, I just blew 2 weeks worth of paycheck on cards, and I didn't get a "Linnell says his name card"! Waaa.. As I MUST have all things Linnell, I'm willing to trade the following: Card #1017- The rare White Tornado Istanbul card Card #42 John and John visit Millways, the Restaurant at the end of the Universe (John and John sitting with the Dish of The Day- A very irked Peter Davison, who's been in that costume for a good 15 years now..) Card #100-Crowd show from the Icon Show in Buffalo, NY..see if you can spot the Linnell-look-alike. The cute redhead next to him is me. :) I'm also willing to throw in my limited ed black border #.007, John and John play Magic (tm). I got ahold of some God decks, so I've duplicates. :) Boy, this is a silly thread. I like it. Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:44:32 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16726 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:44:32 -0500 Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 17:44 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: new AKA Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) How about "John and John Decide To Visit Michigan On a Wednesday." Look, you can see their evil grins as they realize they won't have to put up with that screaming girl and her weird friends. Actually, I think they're just getting back at MI because people yelled "Hootie! Hootie!" during their set in Lansing. *sigh* Oh yeah, I'll trade "TMBG Kill Hootie Fans" for "What's That Blue Thing." Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:45:24 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16749 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:45:24 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: random Tshirt idea Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:44:50 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu[SMTP:kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 9:12 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: random Tshirt idea > > What if the Tshirts left sleeve read: >> >"Oh, we're a freak magnet." -- John C. Flansburgh > > Can I just say that would be freakin' awesome? > >Kirsten I concur. That would be a brilliant idea to put on the sleeve. However, doesn't putting something on the sleeve, even one-color, cost alot more? Jesse From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:55:12 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA16914 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:55:12 -0500 Message-Id: <9702192253.AA27220@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> X-Sender: ntodd@emba.uvm.edu X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Version 1.4.4 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:40:38 -0500 To: "McClusky, Jesse" From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: RE: TMBG: cards wanted! Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) >Um, don't you mean cards #57 and 58? Card 59 is the "Linnell eludes >fans after show in New York", and I don't think that's part of the set. >But cards 57 and 58 seem to be going by the names you state... (: Actually, one of my friends has the card that I listed as #59, and it does say '#59' on it, but it is a misprint, cause I just looked it up on one of my checklist cards and it lists it as #57...thanks for the clarification though! >good idea! Only, wouldn't they be more like those thin plastic heads >that stick to the >laminated cards.... (: No, I hear they're saving that idea for the new revamped 'Badass Flans II' series coming out this summer. Supposedly there is a card called 'Badass Flans Moons Tokyo,' but I'll believe it when I see it! I hope this series will be better than the newest one they put out called 'Older'...the first card in the set is called 'You're Older than You've ever been,' and then the next 98 cards are all called 'And now You're even Older,' and the last card is called 'And now You're Older still...' Just a bit to boring for my tastes. Although there is one superrare card in the series called 'Damnit, John, You're getting Older!' that spices up the series a little, it features beavis & butthead-like characatures of the Johns, with Flans with his hands around Linnell's throat. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 17:59:24 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id RAA17028 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:59:24 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:00:19 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." X-Sender: baumi@amos To: Da List Subject: TMBG: soul coughing in pittsburgh Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "M.C.I." sorry that this has nothing to do with TMBG but i thought some of you would appreciate it. it appears that soul coughing will be playing the metropol in pittsburgh on the 28th. tickets are like $10. if you know more about this please let me know. if you know less and would like to know more, e-mail me and i'll let you know when i find out. later. "I don't think it's fair that only one company makes monopoly." - Steven Wright -mci@tmbg.org- fighting for the rights of the common man From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:04:24 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17067 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:04:24 -0500 Message-ID: <330B8692.575@wwnet.com> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:02:42 -0500 From: dstange Organization: Praise the LORD! X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 Followup-To: razor@arbornet.org To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org CC: razor@arbornet.org Subject: TMBG: Ann Arbor instore appearance Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: dstange Hey, list! My server appears to be back up just in time to report the Ann Arbor Wherehouse instore appearance. Playing were JohnL on accordian and vocals, JohnF on guitar and vocals, Graham Maby on bass, and Dan Hickey on drums. Dan plays reverse standard set! (Hi-hats on the right) Since John plays lefty guitar, that side of the stage looked like a mirror image. I didn't get the order because I didn't write it down until I got home, but ehre are the songs they played: -Metal Detector -New York City (Flans did "you held my hand, i held yours") -Older (got a good reaction from the audience) -James K. Polk (JohnL said "Last verse" to skip the saw part and Dan didn't catch it right away) -XTC vs.Adam Ant (with weird ending, a little bit Spy-style but more restrained. Accordian played the guitar solo at the beginning.) -Birdhouse (got the crowd excited.) -Till My Head Falls Off (After this I yelled "We don't need so stinking Eric!" Graham sang backup, and Flansburgh played the solo) -They Got Lost (they introduced this as an unreleased song, and someone yelled "I am Not YOur Broom!") -Sing Like A Girl (Flans really did sound like a girl today, but he said he was saving his fragile voice.) -SEXXY (Flans said this one was a long distance dedication to all the sexy people in the audience. When we figured out this was kind of an insult, he added "Hey. I meant it.") -Particle Man (in C) There were some ominous-sounding accordian chords on the last "they have a fight, triangle wins)") I ran into Jon Chaffer as well as a few lurkers whose names I cannot remember. I was wearing a hello my name is tag that said "TMBG-LIST." I had on a surreal tmbg shirt, and had a short mohawk cut and sunglasses, which is probably what i'll look like tonight, minus the glasses. off to the show! From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:14:58 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17216 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:14:58 -0500 From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702192314.AA17660@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: state cards? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:14:35 -0500 (EST) X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL22] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Hey, I'm still waiting for my shipment from tmbCard central of #375-425: Linnell State Cards (hope that doesn't conflict) I think the House of Mayors expansion set has not yet reached stores, watch for them soon! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:44:40 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17612 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:44:40 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The Edison Museum Message-ID: <19970219.173224.7094.3.istanbul@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.15 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-2,7-17 From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:28:08 EST Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) (Lurker Alert! Infrequent poster about to speak!!!) Hi, I have a very high quality recording of the complete Edison Museum from Dial-A-Song, but do not have the equipment to record it into .WAV format at this time. If anyone is interested in a copy, I will do it for free if you send a blank audio tape and the necessary return postage. E-mail me if you are interested. Have a cool beans day! (Oh good, he's shutting up now!) +++ This is Justin Smith's signature! +++ General E-mail: jsmith@e-tex.com TMBG stuff: istanbul@juno.com +++ Bored? Play Dragon Warrior! +++ http://www.dragonfire.net/~DW/ From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:46:10 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17637 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:46:10 -0500 X-Sender: jchaffer@141.211.83.25 Message-Id: In-Reply-To: <330B8692.575@wwnet.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:47:58 -0500 To: Lactose Intolerance Anonymous From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor instore appearance Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jonathan Chaffer At 18:02 -0500 2/19/97, dstange wrote: >-Metal Detector I don't remember them playing this. Am I suffering from amnesia? >-New York City (Flans did "you held my hand, i held yours") It was pretty much entirely the cub version. Also did "King Kong" rather than "Dylan." >-Older (got a good reaction from the audience) This was the opener. >-Till My Head Falls Off (After this I yelled "We don't need so stinking >Eric!" Graham sang backup, and Flansburgh played the solo) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Had this been done before? I'm becoming a huge Graham fan. >-They Got Lost (they introduced this as an unreleased song, and someone >yelled "I am Not YOur Broom!") I felt really cool knowing the words to this one when no one else did. New Guy (Dan Hickey) was good. I think he's a fine replacement for Brian, even though his hair isn't as cool. The best thing about the concert was the lack of Eric. Pretty much every Eric solo was replaced with accordion. Well, off to the real concert! -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "You wanna see pressure, pal? Be glad I'm not wearing high heels." --Dr. Tim "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:56:03 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17787 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:56:03 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'mjames@envy.loyola.edu'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG Live! Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:52:08 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@envy.loyola.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 9:14 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG Live! [snip] >Flansburgh Swearing at Angry Fans Hey, look closer at the upper left-hand corner of that one! Notice it's part of the "TMBG Live!" series too? (: Jesse > From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 18:57:59 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id SAA17818 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:57:59 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970219185736.006f81c8@mail.ee.net> X-Sender: chakroff@mail.ee.net X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:57:36 -0500 To: "tmbg-list@tmbg.org" From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Cards (Out of control, but I love it :) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Evan Chakroff Jesse McClusky, you have WAY too much free time! I envy you. Anyhow, a couple things to add to the Master list: #200-#230 The 32 footsteps subseries There were never any "32" cards ever printed and, the Super-Fueled Freaksicle Series (On hold), which is reprints of Elektra b-sides, and maybe a few new cards (if it ever comes out) and, the Hello Series, one for every Hello CD. Available only throgh special order, allow 6-8 years for delivery. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 19:13:27 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id TAA18074 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:13:27 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Mike Leffel'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:48:31 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 10:55 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? > > > >I would like to officially volunteer to either be on the following: > >*Overall Design Board (Not really much to do under this one, once the card format is finalized) >*Name Thinker Upper (We have WAY too many of them right now, IE, everyone on the list) (However, maybe "Name Straightener-Upper", cause names on cards can only be just so long before they get so small they're unreadable) >*Cartoony Fellow You DEFINITELY have my vote on this one. (: >*Weed Out Persony You got my vote. (: >or >*Person Who Gets Some Credit, Along With Evan, For Starting this mess. Oh sure, why not? (: >Basically, I WANT TO DRAW. I can do some nutty Tony Millionaire-esque >things, or something else. > >Damn, I wish I had a scanner right about now.. >Mike " But screw Topps, Boba... they'd steal the idea!" Leffel > >..mmm.. I do know of a couple printers.. > >bah, I'm sure a Kinko's would do it. Sure they would, for an outrageous price. (: Jesse From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 19:24:38 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id TAA18227 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:24:38 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Mike Leffel'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:24:18 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 11:17 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBGCARDS: Avoid if you wish > > > >Okay, here are the ways we can go about this, if we did. > >(1) We could make them only for the computer (gif, jpeg, etc) I think they need to be on disk no matter what we do, at a very high-res. We can always put up degraded/shrunk images to the web But we need the very high res for printing them out. >(2) We could organize artwork and such, and delegate > someone to assemble them, and redistribute > them among ourselves. *nod* Probably the way we'll go. Although, it may take several someones. >(3) We could all just make our own, either computer > or real life, and trade online, or in person > just to.. da da.. identify ourselves > and make us look cool at concerts. Nah! Do disorganized, no definitive source to look at and say "Yup, that really is what you're calling it." Course, you may just not care.... (: Besides, you are ALWAYS free to make your own. But it's so much kooler if you're a part of something bigger than just you. (: >(4) We could organize, assemble, and all chip in to > actually find a printer who could make them, and each > buy them (i don't know. I'm sure there are printers > who could do this) There are. Thousands of them. >(5) We could make them for ourselves, and then > we could give a set to the Johns as Tribute, and > be seen as cool (read: freaks) in their eyes. I got it to > work with Douglas Adams, so who knows. Kool. I say we dedicate/send the first 2 cards printed of each type to the Johns. (: >(6) we could really get sued Can we? Oh, PWEEEEEEEZE???? >(7) We could get ripped off big time Not if you know what you're doing. >(8) We could go out on a limb and make them into some sort of > 'Magic' game that appears to be popular with the kiddies.. > (I draw a Hot Cup Of Coffee... I toss the card in the pile, > thus spilling the Coffee on your Bass Lovin' Flansburgh) Nah. The way they're goin now, they're not really playable. >(9) We could all just drop this now, in turn preserving our souls.. Huh? > >OR > > >(10)Watch in horror or relief as TMBG people who are lurking take this > idea and make their own, not regarding us in the least. *lurk* > > >Thats all. > > >Mike "James Ensor. Really. Look at my Stigmata" Leffel > Wooga. The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 19:42:44 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id TAA18509 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:42:44 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Evan Chakroff'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:42:30 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ee.net] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 11:48 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! > >These damn cards... anyone have #173 (from Lincoln set) Exploding Macintosh >?? > >Anyway, now for some substance: > >I think we should make this a project. I would be glad to "weed out the bad >cards" as someone put it. (Cause I'm good at telling people that what they >made SUCKS :) Whoever wants to be in charge of this should go to the digest >archives and find where it started and save all those digests. Already done. I spent this morning doing that. As I previously posted, I've gotten a complete list of all but the "enema" card, which I can pretty much guarantee would insult the Johns, not to mention alot of offending alot of other people. However, folks, PLEASE take heed: Close to 70 new cards were posted to the list yesterday and today. The quality of these card ideas has been really dropping fast, as people reach further and further for ideas. So I'm politely requesting that you only post ideas you really think most TMBG fans would like, that John and John and the rest of us would be proud of, and that really would work well as cards. I'm not trying to repress any of you. ("Help! Help! I'm Being Repressed!") (: I'm just trying to lower the amount of ideas several of us are wading through to find really insightful ones. >Once I have time, I pay slap together a standard card face idea. Or someone >else could do it. (What are the dimentions of a card?) Already done, and it looks pretty good. I'll put it up on a web page tomorrow or something. >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 19:58:41 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id TAA18788 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:58:41 -0500 From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:58:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219195758_412377218@emout02.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG cards Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: SuperD149@aol.com Could someone E-mail me what are there TMBG cards and how do I get them. From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 20:36:44 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id UAA19227 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:36:44 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:36:16 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> To: ! Subject: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project In-Reply-To: Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Holy wholesome wholesomeness... (didn't want to swear). Someone has come along and done everything I had suggested someone do! I think I can safely step aside and not offer any more suggestions until they're needed. However, one might be to denote serious card suggestions from pretend ones, to make someone's job easier. It's very funny and all, and the real cards probably wouldn't have existed without the joke suggestions, but forcing people to figure out if a card is funny or just inane, with the many cards they already have to sort through, is almost as rude as forcing Bill to sort through all of the surveys to see if you've sent him multiple copies. I hope these don't turn into _real_ trading/playing cards, with strict rules/regulations of their own, because most of us _don't_ need another obsession to deal with! :) RS From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 20:51:35 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id UAA19480 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:51:35 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'mjames@envy.loyola.edu'" Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: TMBG: state cards? Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:51:15 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@envy.loyola.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 3:14 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: state cards? > >Hey, I'm still waiting for my shipment from tmbCard central of >#375-425: Linnell State Cards (hope that doesn't conflict) >I think the House of Mayors expansion set has not yet reached stores, >watch for them soon! >Matt Hmm... FIFTY-ONE??? Actually, it does conflict... #335-385 would be better The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 21:11:03 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id VAA19764 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:11:03 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'Ryan Staib'" <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Cc: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: RE: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:10:54 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" >---------- >From: Ryan Staib[SMTP:97starya@james.hawken.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 5:36 PM >To: ! >Subject: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project > > Holy wholesome wholesomeness... (didn't want to swear). Someone has >come along and done everything I had suggested someone do! I think I can >safely step aside and not offer any more suggestions until they're needed. >However, one might be to denote serious card suggestions from pretend ones, >to make someone's job easier. It's very funny and all, and the real cards >probably wouldn't have existed without the joke suggestions, but forcing >people to figure out if a card is funny or just inane, with the many cards >they already have to sort through, is almost as rude as forcing Bill to >sort through all of the surveys to see if you've sent him multiple copies. >I hope these don't turn into _real_ trading/playing cards, with strict >rules/regulations of their own, because most of us _don't_ need another >obsession to deal with! :) > >RS Oh, actually, I condone funny cards. I got a big kick out of some of these. And who among us doesn't laugh at Their music from time to time? Should that spirit not thus bleed over into the cards? As to them turning into real trading/playing cards, with strict rules and regs, I for one will do my best to prevent that from over happening. I used to game with Wizards of the Coast, back before they made their Magic cards. I think it's pathetic how obsessive people get now over their cards. I want to scream, "THEY'RE JUST LITTLE BITS OF COLORED PAPER!!!" But I usually manage to restrain myself. (: But if these cards turned into that, their whole point of existence, that of enjoyment and casual fun, would be forgotten. Just my 2 "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" cards worth. Jesse > From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 21:25:56 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id VAA19931 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:25:56 -0500 Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" To: "'TMBG Mailing List'" Subject: TMBG: Trading Cards Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:25:48 -0800 X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" Just FYI, my spreadsheet now contains 191 cards. This doesn't count the 51 state cards, or the 31 "32 Footstep" cards, both of whom have chunks of numbers allocated to them. There are 12 series' and 5 sub-sets. 96 of them (including 9 of the 12 series') are not numbered I'll be putting a table up on a website soon of them. I'll update the table almost daily. And yes, I do have a listing of them, in chronological order, complete with who submitted them first (email address). Feel free to email me asking for unused numbers, along with any specifications you'd like ("Only even numbers totaling 13", "4 in a row", "I'd like 537 or 499", etc). Jesse From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 22:34:56 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id WAA20841 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:34:56 -0500 Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970219233208.006abe94@peseta.ucdavis.edu> X-Sender: ez076113@peseta.ucdavis.edu X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:32:08 -0800 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: trading card madness! + OAT Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >I must have ESPN or >something! Well no WONDER you're having a bad week! Go to your cable company and tell them to replace ESPN with a *good* channel! Tell them you want the Sci-fi channel. You see, once you get the SF channel, you can watch MST3K, and then your week will take a dramatic upswing! :) All kidding aside, your week really did sound yucky... I'm sorry... >Parts of "From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 22:34:54 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id WAA20837 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:34:54 -0500 From: TimmySpctr@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:34:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219223409_1016408771@emout03.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Those kooky cards Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: TimmySpctr@aol.com Hi, Andrew here, I've been lurking for quite some time and the card idea which is apparently so irritating to many listies is exactly the kind of weirdness I'd been waiting for to um, de-lurkify, I guess. Anyway, I'd just like to mention that I too am a cartoonist (although more of the Warner Brothersish "cartoony" style than a caricaturist) and would LOVE to do artwork for the cards (AKAs) also. I don't have easy access to a scanner, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Um, so, really I had really had nothing new to add to the conversation at all...I'll go now. Ahem, also, someone made a remark about "serious" and "funny" cards, I don't think funny cards need to be totally disregarded as (providing they're in semi-good taste). The funny cards are what keeps it from being plain obsessive to slightly creative. (And we all know the value of MY opinions) Oh sure, the kids at my high school mock my adoration of "geek band" They Might Be Giants but once they find out I exchange TMBG trading cards with people on the Internet, I'm sure they'll all realize how amazingly cool I really am. Also, I need the "I'll Sink Manhattan" card to complete my relationship gone sour set, anyone? I have duplicates of "TMBG listies stretch an already weak humorous premise wafer-thin." (And now I've done it too.) Andrew Tisher (Master Of Darkness and Cartoons) Fingertips" sound a lot like other things... Yeah! In fact, most of them do... "Something grabbed a hold of my hand" sounds a like Tiffany, "I walk along darkened corridors" sounds like Jim Morrison, umm... somebody once told me that one of them sounds like early Genesis (Peter Gabriel era) but I forget which one... >Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG >lyrics? For the longest time, in The World's Address, when it goes "now >my tear stains on the wall..." I always thought he was saying...well, >nevermind. I probably don't want to know. :) I used to hear "Orange sandwich bit my dog" instead of "I don't understand what you did to my dog", and a friend of mine insisted that the chorus to They'll Need A Crane was, in fact, "Velveeta Train" until I showed her the lyrics. > I've got a mint condition #34 "John Linnell in His Converse >All-Stars" and a slightly damaged holographic Limited Series "John and >John Rock Out- Vegas Lounge Style!" if anyone wants to arrange a trade. >I'll be willing to take any Fingertip and a Hall of Heads to round out >Apollo 18, "John and John On The Rock Hunt", "World That Swings", or >"Headless Flansburgh." Hmm... I really need the "John and John Rock Out-Vegas Lounge Style" to complete my "TMBG Tour The Western US" card set... would you accept a "Mega-Hair Linnell" and a special "Flansburgh Breaks His Guitar" action card? >I >pronounce it Lin-ELL (rhymes with nothing I can think of, accent on the >"ell") This is correct. I urge those of you who doubt it to check out 120 minutes-- Linnell pronounces it himself. Accent on the second syllable, rhymes with "bell". Or "swell". (I saw a licence plate frame once that said "Nothing more swell/Than Flansburgh and Linnell". Muy cool! Probably even cooler than my own licence plate frame, which says "We could walk/But we'd never get there".) --nicole the wonder nerd "Lately she's been humming cheese songs, and I don't like that fat guy around..." *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 22:47:47 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id WAA20997 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:47:47 -0500 X-Sender: alecson@pop.ben2.ucla.edu (Unverified) Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:51:34 -0800 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: TMBG Mondegreen Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: J Chen Here's my brother's mondegreen: For "every four is waltz again" in ERIWA, he thought it was "every frog is waltzing in." ********** As for obscure TMBG references to other songs, there are tons of them, and most of them are sly odes to those other songs. I've never heard anyone else stick in so many inconspicuous (or conspicuous, as well) cultural references in their lyrics as much as TMBG does. One day, if I have time, I'll have to compile and list them all. --later, ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: "20-20-24 hours ago, | Protected by Guan Yu | I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 22:59:12 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id WAA21236 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:59:12 -0500 From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:58:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970219225829_1712467694@emout01.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Cards.. and stuff.. Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com >I thought it was Martin X, too!!!! It isn't? sheeeyit... >Does anyone have the "Purple Toupee" card? I need it to >complete a set.. Yes! I have an extra! But I won't trade it unless you'll trade it for a "Flansburgh makes Flans-burg's at McDonald's" card! ;) I want that one! see my trade list below. >and my very rare "Linny In Drag" cards.:) OH how I'd KILL for that card... :9 >Jonah, who will trade his complete set of "subtle TMBG >references on the Simpsons" cards for a "TMBG team-ups: >TMBG and the Monkees" card. Anyone want my set of "TMBG references on NBC" cards? I'll trade them just for the Linnell in drag one. :) I'll even throw in my card of a still from Clarissa where the Flood logo is 100% visible. A rarity. >Once i saw a guy wearing a tmbg shirt in the front row of >some late night program I was watching the MST3K Scrapbook tape today, and saw a MST fan with the Pearl (girl inside of WDTSS) shirt on. :) I screamed - half out of excitement, half out of the fact Pearl's freakin' scary. ;) >Would anyone else care to see this thing achieved? YES! :) I draw when I can't sleep (which is an awful lot)... I was just planning on doing something like that.. ;D >(PS - Egad! This card thing is out of control!) I love it. :) Sarah's New Cards: #970-#972 "Mouse Girl's Latest Dreams" #424 "John F. steals my tv remote" #993 "Eric smashes the Dial A Song machine" #001 "Flans says 'Pink it is!' " #458 "Linnell and Flans in a MILK ad" #187 "Flans tries contacts" #823 "Linnell making his coffee first thing in the morning" #188 "Linnell wearing his glasses!" (rare!) #772 "Doherty does the Macarena" - now a limited edition. #910 "Graham ditches TMBG for the band "Cracker" " ;) #1-190 "Goat Boy is booed off stage" ;) sarah - who actually has "Garbage Pail Kids" cards in her desk drawer...:) ...now listening to Odds "Nest" and No Doubt "Tragic Kingdom" on her imaginary dual cd player. ;) From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 23:15:58 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id XAA21397 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:15:58 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:15:47 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> To: ! Subject: RE: NONTMBG: Organizing/starting the cards project In-Reply-To: Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: ** Oh, actually, I condone funny cards. I got a big kick out of some of ** these. ** And who among us doesn't laugh at Their music from time to time? ** Should that spirit not thus bleed over into the cards? No no! I didn't intend to imply that I didn't want humorous cards! Actually, what I said was that people referring to cards on the list should specify if they are merely making a joke (ie "I want card # such and such"), just to see how ridiculous they can make their cards, or if they are really proposing serious _ideas_ for cards. Not serious in the sense that the cards themselves lack humor, but serious in the sense that people would actually like to see cards distributed with whatever name/theme they happen to be discussing. For instance, I hope that we won't have any cards with gross and petulant violence or extreme vulgarity on them, and I would assume that anyone mentioning such a card would only be 'kidding,' and I suggested that they designate their message as such. I might think that #296, Brian Doherty Getting Vivisected With His Own Drum Sticks is funny (well, maybe _not_), but I probably wouldn't want a card depicting Brian getting vivisected being made and distributed, and I would say so in my message. I think I've beaten a really small and insignificant point to death now, so I hope you got it! And boy, you'd never be able to tell that they made us write a ton of essays from 4th-12th grade at my school from my writing style, or that I got a 770 on the SAT II Writing and an 800 SAT verbal, can you??? :) RS From owner-tmbg-list Wed Feb 19 23:21:52 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id XAA21534 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:21:52 -0500 Message-ID: Priority: Normal X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 To: "TMBG" MIME-Version: 1.0 From: "The One and Only" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 21:08:03 PST Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; X-MAPIextension=".TXT" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "The One and Only" ---------- > Date: Thursday, February 20, 1997 21:03:04 > To: "tmbg > > > > > ---------- > > Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 12:12:22 > > From: Robert Gonsalves > > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Subject: Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! > > > > On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > > > > ... > > > Once I have time, I pay slap together a standard card face idea. Or > someone > > > else could do it. (What are the dimentions of a card?) > > > > > > > I don't know the dimentia of regular gum-affiliated trading cards, but > > business cards measure 2 * 3.5 inches. When you print them out, you can > > then go to you local stationers and get magnets that you can slap the > > cards onto, making instant refrigerator (and other metallic surface) > > decorations. > > > But does anyone have the "I don't want the card, I just want your half" > special half-size trading card??? I hear they're quite rare > > Michelle From owner-tmbg-list Thu Feb 20 00:17:21 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id AAA22194 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:17:21 -0500 X-Sender: jchaffer@141.211.83.25 Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:19:14 -0500 To: Lactose Intolerance Anonymous From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: TMBG: Ypsi Show Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jonathan Chaffer WEEHAW! Got back from the Ypsilanti concert, and it looks like I'm the first to post. I would post a complete list of songs but some *&^&^%*^&&*^%$ chick got my setlist. Dang females. If only I could sing like a girl.... Highlights from the show: * Older, They Got Lost, On the Drag * I am Not Your Broom (stuck into the improv section of Spy) * The Presidential Cannon, which shot confetti into the crowd at the beginning of JKP * The Stick! * The Glockenspiel (for Shoehorn) * Graham Maby singing backup. The guy fits in surprisingly well. * Flans breaking his guitar strings after On the Drag * No Eric! Yay! Lowlights from the show: * No horns besides Linnell's bass sax on Lie Still * No songs from the Pink album * The opener, Chainsaw Kittens. They were loud and not at all tuneful. The only good part was watching the drummer have a spaz attack. * Not enough accordion for my taste. I think it has plenty of value besides being a gimmick-- it adds a lot to songs like Istanbul (which was done with keyboard). * No polka or conga * No "band intro" improv All in all, it was a great concert. Well, duh. Anyway, I recommend seeing them in a venue with seats-- no moshing or pass the dude. Have a They day! -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "You wanna see pressure, pal? Be glad I'm not wearing high heels." --Dr. Tim "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell From owner-tmbg-list Thu Feb 20 00:51:08 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id AAA22654 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:51:08 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:51:29 -0500 From: Derek Keevil Message-ID: <330BE661.BFA@haverford.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <199702191258.MAA12923@max> Subject: TMBG: Re: Trading Cards Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Derek Keevil Nyaralathotep wrote: > OK Guys, I'm compling a complete list of trading cards, and whenever > a new one appears its going to go down on my list. Actually, I already started colecting the "cards" ever since the very first one was posted. I was going to make the list very pretty and stuff, but you can see the preliminary one at the followinfg URL: http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil/tmbgcards.html > I might start > designing them, but I have no scaanner so the internet will probably > not be able to see them, any ideas? I'm sure there are enough people out there with Photoediting experience to make some cool cards. I was thinking about it myself just to add a few to my web page. >if anyone wants to go this project with me, e-mail me privatly. Yeah, since I've already begun, combining efforts sounds fun. - Derek -- __ __ Derek Keevil /\_\ THE / /\ The World Famous / /_/ __ __ / / / Hat Sharpener / \ \/\_\ /\ \ /_/ \ SharpHat@tmbg.org / /\ \/ / / / \ \ \_\/\ \ ___ _ _ ___ ___ \/_/\ / / / /\ \ \ \ \ \ | __|| |_| || || _ | / / / / ____ \ \ \ \ \ |__ || _ || | || _| \/_/ /_/_/ \_\_\ \_\/ |___||_| |_||___||_| http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil From owner-tmbg-list Thu Feb 20 01:31:07 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id BAA23156 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Feb 1997 01:31:07 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 01:29:02 -0500 From: Derek Keevil Message-ID: <330BEF2E.EE2@haverford.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <330B2F26.6C77@trib.infi.net>, Subject: Re: TMBG: Trading Cards, is anybody writing these down? Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Derek Keevil Trippy wrote: > > At 11:49 AM -0500 2/19/97, BOBA wrote: > >Does anyone have a list off all those trading card ideas proposed? > >Maybe some one should put up a web page devoted to their honour!! > > > >And then we could compile an insane amount of stupid little names for > >these, and TOPPS might pick it up!! ;) > > > i'd be glad to set up and maintain a page of trading cards, if people want > to send me pictures and/or just names for their trading cards i'll put them > up along with any of the old card ideas that have been posted, respond to > me personally if you think this is a good idea, however i don't want to do > it if a thousand other people are also going to do the same thing, i think > one page dedicated to TMBG trading cards is enough... > > Trippy OK, I'm fairly new to the list, but I've "collected" every card since the first one was posted. I'm going to make the web page all pretty and stuff, but a preliminary list divided into sections is at this URL: http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil/tmbgcards.html Suggestions gladly taken! Some fun with Photoshop will make this a better site eventually. Rightnow, It's all I can do to keep up with the flood of cards currently on the market! - Derek -- __ __ Derek Keevil /\_\ THE / /\ The World Famous / /_/ __ __ / / / Hat Sharpener / \ \/\_\ /\ \ /_/ \ SharpHat@tmbg.org / /\ \/ / / / \ \ \_\/\ \ ___ _ _ ___ ___ \/_/\ / / / /\ \ \ \ \ \ | __|| |_| || || _ | / / / / ____ \ \ \ \ \ |__ || _ || | || _| \/_/ /_/_/ \_\_\ \_\/ |___||_| |_||___||_| http://www.students.haverford.edu/dkeevil From owner-tmbg-list Thu Feb 20 01:33:14 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id BAA23185 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Feb 1997 01:33:14 -0500 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:32:56 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Subject: TMBG: Lookout, more CARD NONSENSE Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "E. Fjellanger" Does ANYONE have the limited edition "Beer Spitting opening act" action card? I'm desparate here! I'll even trade my "Guitar string rippin' Flans" action hologram card. Let me know. BTW, I can see the need developing soon for an addition to the FAQ. Off the top of my head: Q. Is there really such a thing as TMBG trading cards? A. No. Not that anyone would actually read it, but that's what FAQ's are for, so you can tell anyone who asks a frequently asked question "GO READ THE FAQ, YOU FOOL!". My thoughts for the day. Eric Fjellanger The telephone was ringing That's when I handed it to Liz She said, "This isn't who it would be, If it wasn't who it is" -Phish, "Wolfman's Brother" From owner-tmbg-list Thu Feb 20 01:34:11 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id BAA23205 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Feb 1997 01:34:11 -0500 Message-ID: <330BF00C.2088@toothfairy.com> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 01:32:44 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Cards Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kevin McGuire I have been hesitant to do this but.... STOP WITH THE CARDS! PLEASE! You don't have to stop, maybe you could make a new mailing list devoted entirely to trading cards. Just stop on this list. It really has nothing to do with TMBG. I don't think they are bad, I just dont enjoy it, and it seems to be taking up a great majority of posts to this list. Please, at least try to perhaps put them at the bottom of a regular post, like the CD's. Thanks if you read this. -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-50 *****************************