Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-51 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 51 Wednesday, 1 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Messed-up lyrics/OMLT/Trading AKA's TMBG: Cassie, stripped Flans, more of those damn cards... Re: RE: NONTMBG: More cards stuff TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old TMBG: Hello TMBG: Pearl, Graham TMBG: For now... Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! Re: TMBG: Pearl TMBG: Re: Pearl, Graham TMBG: Re:tmbg hello Ausie TMBG: p vs p TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited Re: TMBG: p vs p TMBG: More cards... TMBG: Kool stuff Re: TMBG: More cards... RE: TMBG: Cards TMBG: Guitar/Welcome to the Jungle Single? Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited Re: TMBG: Pearl, Graham Re: TMBG: Cards- STOP!! RE: TMBG: p vs p TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown Re: TMBG: Cards TMBG: Odd They Dream Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown. TMBG: AKA's for trade!!! MouseHouse Shenanigans!!! TMBG: Re: TMBG stuff and stuff TMBG: XXXXXX@tmbg.org TMBG: A Final TMBG Farewell TMBG: See you on the other side... TMBG: Card design TMBG: Cards ACCOMPLISHED! TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) TMBG: announcemento de cardo a la TMBG TMBG: persehone? Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old TMBG: Cards! TMBG: Cards and things Re: TMBG: XXXXXX@tmbg.org TMBG: Comedy Product Band? RE: RE: NONTMBG: More cards stuff TMBG: Non-Cards: SSS, Huh?, and Darkened Corridors Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited TMBG: Cards/FAQ TMBG: CARDS! what'd you expect? TMBG: The Final Resting Home For My TMBG AKA'S, And Other Projects Soon To Come Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction Non-TMBG: quick quip TMBG: They Meet Doctor Who TMBG: Australian concert dates - Melbourne and Canberra Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) Re: TMBG: p vs p Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! TMBG: Irving tomorow (today) TMBG: Pearl, and more TMBG: Miami Show News :( Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 03:20:04 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Messed-up lyrics/OMLT/Trading AKA's Message-ID: Josh looked up from his cereal and said: >Just wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG >lyrics? I do this quite frequently. In Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, I thought "with the corresponding weight loss" was "when the chorus ran away". And a non-tmbg lyric that I really screwed up was in that song Waterfalls.... I thought "don't go chasin' waterfalls" was "stone cold Jason Waterfall". I just didn't understand what that meant!! One of those Jens (Kmsog) and Kirsten thought: >>What if the Tshirts left sleeve read: >>"Oh, we're a freak magnet." -- John C. Flansburgh > > Can I just say that would be freakin' awesome? I freakin' agree! What a cool idea -- way to go Jen! (No, not you, the other one. No, the other other one. Yeah, that one.) Royce thought he'd mention: >Also, word is that Hallmark has trademarked the term "cards", and as a >result the next series is called "They Might Be Giants Trading AKA". ... >#241 Hair-in-curlers Doherty >#301 Coiled's Mum (Mom in the USA) smacks his attention-starved backside I laughed so hard at these! In fact, as I was reading my email today I was laughing out loud at a lot of posts....but I had headphones on and so I didn't really notice that I was laughing really loud....till everyone in the lab was staring at me :) I was going to explain, then figured it would take more time than it was worth. Wyatt enlightened us with: >i'd like to do something for it! Like maybe make a few cards, come up >with (even more!) ideas for them, design the web page (i guess this was >taken...), scan them in (I HAVE A SCANNER AND TOO MUCH FREE TIME!), beg >topps to print them, steal any money we'll need, etc. Ah, but shouldn't we leave the money-stealing to Careless Santa? Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their picket signs? ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 03:50:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220035003_445624612@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Cassie, stripped Flans, more of those damn cards... A short, fairly pointless story for everyone to enjoy: My mother, Queen of Psychobabble, brought home a copy of Reviving Ophelia, that book about how it sucks to be an adolescent female. (As if it's a picnic for the adolescent males.) Anyway, I picked it up and was thumbing through it to see if there was anything amusing she had underlined-- it's always interesting to know exactly how messed-up your parents think you are. I picked up randomly at the following paragraph: "Cassie's favorite movies are The Crying Game, Harold and Maude, and My Own Private Idaho." Wow! This girl rocks! I read a few earlier paragraphs and discovered that this person was a patient of the author's who was being used as an example of a typical 90's youth. Reading on: "Cassie listens to music by the Dead Milkmen, 10,000 Maniacs, Nirvana, and They Might Be Giants." WOW! Cassie, you're my hero! "She dances to Madonna's song "Erotica," with its sadomasochistic lyrics. The rock-and-roll lyrics by 2 Live Crew... don't upset her. Sexist lyrics...are part of the wallpaper of her life." Now, wait a minute. I'm not sure who I'm more upset with-- Mary Pipher, PhD, for lumping TMBG with Madonna and 2 Live Crew and infering that They are sexist (TMBG is just about the least offensive rock group I can think of), or Cassie, for having such bad taste when she started out so promisingly. Anyway, yet another literary reference to TMBG... the list is growing. xAnyone remember those "Sportflics" cards with the plastic grooves that xlook animated when the card is turned from side to side? There simply xHAS to be a "John and John hop around like happy idiots in the Ana Ng xvideo" card If there is, I'll gladly trade for my thaumatrope-style Birdhouse card (flip the card really fast by twirling strings attached to either side and the birdhouse appears in the soul on the other side) xJust wondering...anyone else have some classic misunderstandings of TMBG xlyrics? "John, I have a confession to make." "Yes?" "Well, you know the part where I'm supposed to sing 'where the world goes by like the humid air?'" "Uh-huh...." "Well, I've been singing it 'where the world goes by like the human hair'". -- after Ana Ng, Asbury Park show '95 xI have the xStripped Shirt Flansy prancing at Rockerfeller Center card to trade! Yikes! I crown Matt James the typo king of the day. :) --Christy currently willing to trade #37- Flesh Fest! #42- TMBG beats moshers with brooms #53- mug shots of "that bastard" who stole the van #70-73- all four put together reveal a panoramic shot of the band in front of that "I don't want the world..."-inscribed bridge *and* a special limited-edition holographic Linnell which stares at you no matter which way you tilt the card! :) ------------------------------ From: TheMoog! Subject: Re: RE: NONTMBG: More cards stuff Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:59:04 -0500 (EST) On Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:10:54 -0800 "McClusky, Jesse" wrote: > Oh, actually, I condone funny cards. I got a big kick out of some of > these. > And who among us doesn't laugh at Their music from time to time? > Should that spirit not thus bleed over into the cards? > > As to them turning into real trading/playing cards, with strict rules > and regs, > I for one will do my best to prevent that from over happening. I used > to game > with Wizards of the Coast, back before they made their Magic cards. I > think > it's pathetic how obsessive people get now over their cards. I want to > scream, > "THEY'RE JUST LITTLE BITS OF COLORED PAPER!!!" But I usually manage > to restrain myself. (: But if these cards turned into that, their > whole point of > existence, that of enjoyment and casual fun, would be forgotten. > > Just my 2 "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" cards worth. > > Jesse In fairness to the mad obsessives over Magic cards, I feel I should point out that the reason some people get really obsessive about the cards is that some are genuinely worth vast quantities of money. For example: The "Black Lotus" magic card is worth around $150 in the States to my knowledge, and if it's from the alpha edition then thats closer to $450. Anyway, I am a magic player and an obsessive one at that. Cheers Adam "lets all be fair to the mad obsessives, cos just think what they would do if they couldn't collect bits of colored paper" Breeden oh, and I've got the Ultra Rare "Mox Sapphire bullet" card! (In joke for all you Magic players out there) ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:53:14 +0100 Message-Id: <97022011531441@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old (the John's that is) are old enough to be your parents! scary ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330C4798.4750@faroc.com.au> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:46:16 +0800 From: Vincent Chiera Subject: TMBG: Hello I would like to be on your mailing list. I am Australias biggest TMBG fan. I have been for yoears (I bet everyone says that). Well, let me know all about your organisation. I would like to be involved if possible. I am soooo excited about seeing TMBG's live for the first time on March 27 at Planet nightclub in Perth. Warmest fuzziest regards, Vince ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702201329.AA13848@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:16:22 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Pearl, Graham >#251 "The evil dot matrix girl on the back of my TMBG t-shirt frightens >yet another grungie at my school" Pearl isn't an evil matrix girl! She's the good spirit of everything TmBg and the child-goddess of everything wonderous. :) >>-Till My Head Falls Off (After this I yelled "We don't need so stinking >>Eric!" Graham sang backup, and Flansburgh played the solo) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >Had this been done before? I'm becoming a huge Graham fan. Don't get too attached...how long could he possibly stay for, in this world of TmBg interchangeable heads? >ot serious in the sense that the cards >themselves lack humor, but serious in the sense that people would actually >like to see cards distributed with whatever name/theme they happen to be >discussing. For instance, I hope that we won't have any cards with gross and >petulant violence or extreme vulgarity on them, and I would assume that >anyone mentioning such a card would only be 'kidding,' and I suggested that >they designate their message as such. I might think that #296, Brian Doherty >Getting Vivisected With His Own Drum Sticks is funny (well, maybe _not_), I really don't think it is all that difficult to discount cards such as this, I'm sure Jesse (or whoever else is doing this) can easily ignore the few cards that go a little too far. >You don't have to stop, maybe you could make a new mailing list devoted >entirely to trading cards. Just stop on this list. It really has >nothing to do with TMBG. I don't think they are bad, I just dont enjoy >it, and it seems to be taking up a great majority of posts to this list. I find them perfectly tmbg-related. Thinking up interesting and possibly humorous ideas for cards, recalling interesting facts & moments from tmbg history, reshuffling our tmbg ideas and having a whole lot of fun! The AKA thread still rules, IMO. Oh, I'm still looking for #511, 'Flans Makes His Demands' and #512, 'TmBg proves Bomb Scares can be Fun!' in which flans is shown holding a bomb & threatening to blow up the club They are playing. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:05:50 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: For now... Message-ID: Hey/hay, I'll see you all Monday when I resubscribe. I really don't want to come home to 300 messages after being out of the loop this weekend, so I'm off the list for this weekend only. Oh, I've got a Special Edition packet that includes They Meet the MMBT, Family Portrait In Front Of A JKP Painting circa 1845, Linnell Buying Samoas, TMBG Giving A Concert In A Field of Cows, and Flansy's 386SX (identical to mine). ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou (aka Ribbon) <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< The other CD: Dave Matthews Band "Crash" ------------------------------ Date: 20 Feb 1997 14:24:44 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc1f2e$04834640$LocalHost@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! > Already done. I spent this morning doing that. > As I previously posted, I've gotten a complete list of all but the > "enema" card, which > I can pretty much guarantee would insult the Johns, not to mention alot > of offending > alot of other people. You are kidding, right? I didn't realise you were that close to the Johns that you could ascertain what insults Them. I mean, we are talking about Donna Donna, who almost single-handedly wrecked the greatest CD in my collection. Be wary my friends, the puritanical wowsers (is that a tautology??) will censor us for censorship sake. I wish they'd go back to banning Road Runner cartoons for using excessive violence. > of offending > alot of other people. I count 1. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330C2C20.6B03@baka.com> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:49:04 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Pearl > > >#251 "The evil dot matrix girl on the back of my TMBG t-shirt frightens > >yet another grungie at my school" > > Pearl isn't an evil matrix girl! She's the good spirit of everything TmBg > and the child-goddess of everything wonderous. :) Pearl rules. But I think what's cool about her is how she combines scary with childlikeness. And that shirt scares skaters/posers at my school too. It rules. "that face on the back of your shirt is LOOKING AT ME!!!"-actual quote. Speaking of pearl, does anyone know where she comes from/if there's a story behind her? I've look closely, and I'm almost convinced that the face of Pearl on the shirt is a dot-shaded close up of the face of the girl on the cover of John Henry... I could be wrong, but the similarities are striking. Anyone have any evidence to prove me wrong? -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the knightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah, who resists the urge to mention any cards in this post ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:06:08 +0100 Message-Id: <97022015060809@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: Pearl, Graham Yes the trading cards do take up space and Yes they are TmBg related. Where is the sense of humour of some people and the freedom of expression to laugh at/withothers.After all fine Brit philosopher David Hume; it is all a matter of taste ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:14:37 +0100 Message-Id: <97022015143740@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re:tmbg hello Ausie Well brave words indeed. Just how big a "fan" are you Vince? Are you hand held? A rotary? Bigger than John's big guitar sound? Or are you just actual size? The public has a right to know! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702201520.AA18154@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: p vs p Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:20:20 -0500 (EST) Yowza, I just got a "Pearl vs. Persephone battle at the Merc Lounge" card! Who will win, I wonder? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702201626.LAA23768@frogger.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:26:09 -0500 From: susan Subject: TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited In a word, it was fab. In many words: I had a yummy omelette at Dennys and waited for Dwayne, who was kind enough to sell me a ticket and Amy, who was driving from Ohio. I waited. And waited. And after sitting there for something like half an hour I realized that this guy a couple tables away had a TMBG shirt on. Oops. I also hadn't quite connected that the Amy who had gotten in a car crash was the same Amy we were supposed to met. :( So Dwayne got the two sets of Pirate Legos I brought and, after showing me the disembodied head in his trunk, we drove off to Ypsi. Oh, his friends Josh and John were with us, but they were something less than fun. Dwayne and I both wore "Hello My Name Is TMBG-LIST@tmbg.org" nametags, but we didn't meet any other listies. :( We got to Pease right behind some other sorta-listies I know through other means, which was kinda neat. We were also just in time for Chainsaw Kittens, who were very annoying, and waaaaay too loud. I gazed at the disco ball throughout the opening act and hoped TMBG would use it. Then They came out, in all their giantness...and it was a great show. Jonathan Chaffer already mentioned the They Might Be Giants Presidential Love Cannon. Flansy said that it would shoot out dirt and stones, and that they weren't liable for people who would be blinded instantly and permenantly by it. I was still picking confetti out of my clothes and hair when I got home from the show... They also had bubble machines, but the bubbles didn't really get far on stage. Oh yes, the disco ball was used several times, during SEXXY and Twistin (I think) and maybe other times too. Flansy talked about Dan's 10 years of conservatory training that helped him play the one note on the glockenspiel for Shoehorn. When they brought out the glockenspiel I thought they'd play WDTSS, but no dice. Right before I Can Hear You, Flans gave us a lecture about the concept of reverb, and how the reverb had been magically put into the microphones of "John LinELL" (he said it with the accent on the second syllable) and Graham. THEY HAD THE PUPPETS FOR EXQUISITE DEAD GUY!!! Wow, that was really neat. I'm really glad I got to see them. The Stick was really cool too. Older and They Got Lost are great songs! I couldn't understand much of On The Drag. After the very last song, They did this neat slow-motion wave goodbye with all the lights off except for the strobe lights. Lots of people in the audience waved back. And for you cards freaks, I got the last batch of #403 Flans Holding The Lyric Sheet To "I Am Not Your Broom" In His Mouth cards, so anyone who wants one can have one, as a present from me. It was very wonderful. Thanks to Dwayne for selling me his extra ticket and being extra cool in general. :) back to my stupid day job...susan :) * ------------------------------------- my other brain is also a porsche. mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970220104413.006ecde4@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:44:13 -0600 From: blue sky on mars Subject: Re: TMBG: p vs p >Yowza, >I just got a "Pearl vs. Persephone battle at the Merc Lounge" card! >Who will win, I wonder? i'm going to have to put my vote in for persephone, but then again i guess i have a biased opinion... besides, she's got that pickaxe... the everpresent voice of persephone... paul ------------------------------ From: "Julie Baker" Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:40:18 EST5EDT Subject: TMBG: More cards... Message-Id: <42331E403D5@falcon.gdn.peachnet.edu> *delurking* Hehe...looking around my desk, and guess what I found? J&J Meet James K. Polk and James Ensor The Whole Band On the Beach Using Metal Detectors J&J Wearing the Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Any takers? *relurking* Julie :) __ __ /\ | | |\ __ | | __ | | __ /___\ | | | | _ |\ | |__ |--\ \ / |__ |--\ \ / |__ / \ | | |/ |_| | \| |__ |___| | |__ |___| | |__ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Memento Mori ~ ~ ~ ~ Tempus Fugit ~ ~ ~ ~ EVERYTHING DIES ~ ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Kool stuff Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:08:36 -0800 I'd just like to say I was watching my old MST3k tapes last night and caught a reference I'd never noticed before... Specifically, during that Gheela Monster 50's episode, two of them said at once, "They may be giants". (: Just thought I should pass that along. (: Jesse ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:42:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220124209_684705467@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: More cards... Julie Wrote: << J&J Meet James K. Polk and James Ensor The Whole Band On the Beach Using Metal Detectors J&J Wearing the Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Any takers? >> I am in luck! I just found hidden under my bed J&J holding a gun perpendicular to their desktop globe! I'll manage to let go of it for the Metal Detector one! Joel ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cards Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:47:20 -0800 >---------- >From: Kevin McGuire[SMTP:weasel@toothfairy.com] >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 10:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Cards > >I have been hesitant to do this but.... >STOP WITH THE CARDS! PLEASE! > >You don't have to stop, maybe you could make a new mailing list devoted >entirely to trading cards. Just stop on this list. It really has >nothing to do with TMBG. I don't think they are bad, I just dont enjoy >it, and it seems to be taking up a great majority of posts to this list. > >Please, at least try to perhaps put them at the bottom of a regular >post, like the CD's. > >Thanks if you read this. >-- I'd like to point out that pretty much ALL card-related posts have "CARDS" or "AKA" in their subject line. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970220175835.006aedf8@po8.mit.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:58:35 -0500 From: Steve *Blow Pop* Sadoway Subject: TMBG: Guitar/Welcome to the Jungle Single? Hi there... I've been reading along w/the digested lists at the end of the day for awhile now, and I'm hoping that somebody from here would be able to help me... Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the Guitar single? I'll admit it - I'm obsessed w/Welcome to the Jungle, and I would really love to have a copy of it on CD. I've checked all of the record stores in Boston, and nobody has it or knows where to order it. I've even scoured the web, as best as I could, but to no avail. If anybody knows where I could get it, or has it and is willing to part w/it for a fee, please let me know! Thanks! -->Steve Sadoway ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Steven Sadoway~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ E-mail: ssadoway@mit.edu Homepage: http://web.mit.edu/ssadoway/www/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Marge, it takes two to lie: One to lie, and one to listen." --Homer Simpson ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702202027.PAA13610@qbert.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:27:33 -0500 From: susan Subject: Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited The Stick is a big huge stick that Flansy thumped against the floor of the stage during "Lie Still, Little Bottle." Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump. susan At 01:05 PM 2/20/97 -0600, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: >Um, not to be a rube or anything, but what the heck is with the "stick"? > >Tarnished Silence >210 * ------------------------------------- my other brain is also a porsche. mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:14:15 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702202214.OAA19804@f17.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pearl, Graham > >Oh, I'm still looking for #511, 'Flans Makes His Demands' and #512, 'TmBg >proves Bomb Scares can be Fun!' in which flans is shown holding a bomb & >threatening to blow up the club They are playing Which I have duplicates of and will trade both of for #9923- John and John In A Caring Moment (Sharing their feelings and Flans giving Linny A neckrub over cups of coffee) mouse * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:52:02 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702201852.KAA11435@f19.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards- STOP!! On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Dan. E. Boy said: >Would everyone please stop taking up list space with this ridiculous card >thread! Out of the last twenty-five posts, maybe five of them were >actually TMBG related. Whaddaya mean? These cards are TMBG related. Aren't they? >I Don't mean to sound like a party-pooper, but PLEASE, this is > driving me crazy!!! OK, you have the freedom to say that. But, why don't you delete the messages with "cards " in the title? >Awaiting flames, You asked for it.:) Anastasia Hunt *********************************** Another annoying message * "Could you guys please quit * from * playing 'Pass the Dude'? * Saint Ana the Suave * You're making our drummer * Productions * nervous." John Linnell * (Anastasia Eve Hunt) **************************** ( My real name- I promise!) * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: p vs p Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:39:42 +1100 Pardon my ignorance. Who's Pearl????? > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330D0B20.649D@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:40:32 -0800 From: "Sr. Extopalopaketal" Organization: Whiffle-Ball Players Anonymous Subject: TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown The Moogmeister wrote: If anyone EVER pays any amount of money for our TMBG cards, much less $450, it is a sure sign that the apocalypse is upon is. But that's not why i wrote! First of all, for the "They songs that sound vaguely like other people's songs", i nominate the intro to Cowtown as sounding much like a warped version of the intro to Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes. They've both got the same off-beat syncopation. And they're both about masturbation. Oh wait, sorry, cowtown isn't about masturbation! :) -I think. Another cowtown note: Last summer I was strolling through the chemistry wing of the Houston Museum of Natural Science, examining their collection of periodic elements, when something playing on their PA caught my attention. It was...no, couldn't be...yes! A minute-long loop of the intro to Cowtown! And not something that just sounds sorta like it, I had 3 bonafide TMBG lunatics with me and we all agreed it was the sample from Cowtown. So...does this sample come from somewhere else? Or does someone at the museum like TMBG? 'nuff pondering for one day, el josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330C9991.51BD@toothfairy.com> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:36:01 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards McClusky, Jesse wrote: > > >---------- > >From: Kevin McGuire[SMTP:weasel@toothfairy.com] > >Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 10:32 PM > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: Cards > > > >I have been hesitant to do this but.... > >STOP WITH THE CARDS! PLEASE! > > > >You don't have to stop, maybe you could make a new mailing list devoted > >entirely to trading cards. Just stop on this list. It really has > >nothing to do with TMBG. I don't think they are bad, I just dont enjoy > >it, and it seems to be taking up a great majority of posts to this list. > > > >Please, at least try to perhaps put them at the bottom of a regular > >post, like the CD's. > > > >Thanks if you read this. > >-- > > I'd like to point out that pretty much ALL card-related posts have > "CARDS" or "AKA" > in their subject line. > > Jesse My point was that of 24 of the messages that I got today, a whole 5 or so of them were NOT cards. I miss the old list. I probably shouldnt have said anything, because now a bunch of people will be telling me to get off the list. I dont want to, I really like the list and enjoy it, but my point was that I just think that this card thing has gotten WAY out of hand, and I decided to pitch the idea of a brand new list devoted entirely to cards. I really think this would be a good idea. Kevin "Im at school so I dont have my sig file" McGuire ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 17:12 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Odd They Dream Okay, I one of my first really full-fledged They dreams last night. I dreamed I went to the college library and checked out what I thought was the Beatles Anthology. Imagine my delight when I discovered that it was the TMBG Anthology! I couldn't really tell you if it was a book or a video, as it seemed to switch between the two (hey, it's a dream), but it had all sorts of cool stuff. There was a picture of Linnell with spiky punk hair bleached at the ends (frightening!), and a video clip of Linnell imitating a chicken at a concert at the county fair. That was hilarious! I wish you guys could've seen it, but it wasn't real. It also had a lot of complicated stuff about the history of the band that wasn't true. One part I remember particularly vividly detailed how TMBG, to get out of contract obligations with a label that was screwing them over, totally fabricated a fake album. They never actually made the album, but created all sorts of paperwork to prove that they had. I don't know why They'd want to do this, but hey, it was a dream. And a darn cool one, at that. :) Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 16:56 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show >* Older, They Got Lost, On the Drag >* I am Not Your Broom (stuck into the improv section of Spy) >* The Presidential Cannon, which shot confetti into the crowd at the >beginning of JKP >* The Stick! >* The Glockenspiel (for Shoehorn) >* Graham Maby singing backup. The guy fits in surprisingly well. >* Flans breaking his guitar strings after On the Drag >* No Eric! Yay! Can I just say that I was convulsing on the floor wailing after reading this? Oh, curse the Johns for playing a Wednesday show! Curse my parents, for not having me sooner and thus letting me be old enough to go! (sounds of weeping and gnashing of teeth) Did anyone tape it? Kirsten the Pitiful Whiner -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330CCE2D.F65@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:20:29 -0800 From: "Sr. Extopalopaketal" Organization: Whiffle-Ball Players Anonymous Subject: TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown. The Moogmeister wrote: If anyone EVER pays any amount of money for our TMBG cards, much less $450, it is a sure sign that the apocalypse is upon is. But that's not why i wrote! First of all, for the "They songs that sound vaguely like other people's songs", i nominate the intro to Cowtown as sounding much like a warped version of the intro to Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes. They've both got the same off-beat syncopation. And they're both about masturbation. Oh wait, sorry, cowtown isn't about masturbation! :) -I think. Another cowtown note: Last summer I was strolling through the chemistry wing of the Houston Museum of Natural Science, examining their collection of periodic elements, when something playing on their PA caught my attention. It was...no, couldn't be...yes! A minute-long loop of the intro to Cowtown! And not something that just sounds sorta like it, I had 3 bonafide TMBG lunatics with me and we all agreed it was the sample from Cowtown. So...does this sample come from somewhere else? Or does someone at the museum like TMBG? 'nuff pondering for one day, el josh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:35:06 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702202235.OAA19402@f7.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: AKA's for trade!!! MouseHouse Shenanigans!!! Heya Listies! I'm finally able to access my Hotmail account. I'm still leaving Netaddress up to recieve digest in case of difficulties with hotmail. (Always have backup.) You can still emailme at mousegirl@usa.net. The MouseHouse is now up and running (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 if you care). If you want me to link your homepage, drop me a line and I'll gladly do so. My current AKA collection is posted at the MouseHouse. I'm looking for the following: Linnell Gets Arrested By Mistake The Band At the Premiere Of Star Wars Cookies And Beer The Yearbook Pictures Collection (I only have Flansburgh's Senior Picture) Flans Attempts To Play the Accordion Linnell in a Baseball Hat Flans Trying to Disengage From the Embrace of Gwen Stefani TMBG Milk Ad (Will trade my extra "TMBG Gap Ad") mouse Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Fuck You, you prissy nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those weird Prohibitionist types?" Diamond Jack Flansburgh, in a dream * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:21:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220162116_850235993@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG stuff and stuff Christi587@aol.com wrote: >>#53- mug shots of "that bastard" who stole the van Haha! "That bastard!" Haha! I could make up a cool mug shot photo of him! In fact, I will! Look for it soon on the list!! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:04:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220210454_-1942449229@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: XXXXXX@tmbg.org I have been wondering for a while why some listies have email addresses at tmbg.org. Can I get one like this?? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 IP 2/21: Wearing big green puffy jacket with computer disks taped to the front and back with my name on them. Holding a broom and wearing a NY Yankees WS Cap. With little sister and parents. An occassional "I just love that TMBG Mailing List" ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:39:53 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220153953_-1675469075@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: A Final TMBG Farewell Dear TMBG Listers, This will be my last post before I leave the TMBG list. I will be going off to Africa to work with poor elderly Brooklyn immigrants who don't like the heat. TMBG Guy 1996-1997 "John Cleese once told me he'd do anything for money; so I offered him a pound to shut up. And he took it. Nuff said." -Eric Idle ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:22:25 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970220182551.1a77d71a@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: See you on the other side... Hi kids... Well, this will be my last chance to use the computer for a while, since in an hour I'll be boarding a bus headed for New York City! I will be attending the Irving Plaza show tomorrow and I hope to see some of you there. I'll be the guy who looks not very much unlike myself. I'll be wearing a long black trench coat and the DAS t-shirt with the bird, tree, and phone on the front. If you see me, please come up and punch me in the...um...I mean, please come up and say hello! I'd love to meet you all...expect for that Mike guy! I think I'll steer clear of him, and I hope you will too. Anyway, wish me a happy trip. I'll tell you all about it when I return. Alex ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Card design Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:47:44 -0800 Okay folks, these'll go up on the web in a bit.... They're also slightly out of proportion. (mainly, the text bars won't be as high as they appear) Here's the general Front design: A - The Card#, including a preceding S if it's a Title card for a Series. It will also include any applicable trailing letters. (IE, "H" for holographic, "SS" for scratch-n-sniff, etc) B - Optional. The series or series' the card belongs to. A Series is named after its title card (IE, "S56" for the "Factory Showroom Tour" series, if I recall.) C - Release Date. Format is: Mmm DD, YYYY Such as: Jan 01, 1980 This is the initial release date of the batch it is a part of. (alpha, beta, etc) It may be printed at some later date. D - Card Title. This bar may be at the top or bottom of the image area ("I"), or in a RARE care might be left out entirely. E - Copyright date and owner. Yes, we need this. Otherwise, someone else can go out and actually apply for the copyright, and then we'd have to pay THEM for the right to print our own work. I - Picture. A, B, C, and E all are on the "Border", which may have a solid color, a single or multi-color pattern, foil, etc. This border will continue across the back with 2 exceptions. The first is the "Flip" card, which will have an identical Front design on it with just a different picture. The second is a Series Title card. On the back of a Series Title card will be this design: F - The Series Name. Specifically: # - Name Where # is the Card # (including the preceding "S") from field "A" on the front, and "Name" is the series name, from field "D" on the front. G - A list of all the card numbers in this series. Unsure of whether or not to include the card names on here, because we may not have enough space to do so (some of your names are really long). H - A description of the series. There's the design I came up with a few days ago... Lemme know what y'all think, K? The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (image/gif)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (image/gif)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:37:50 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) Message-ID: Well, now that I've waded through today's 124 KB digest, I'll post about yesterday's two performances. About the Wherehouse records show: Unfortunately, they didn't play Metal Detector. I wish they had, as it's my favorite from FS. I wrote down the songs as They played them, and I think I got them all. They were: -Older -NYC -Birdhouse -XTC vs. AA -James K Polk -HCISLAG -They Got Lost -SEXXY -Til My Head Falls Off -Particle Man Not a very long set. I guess I thought it would be like the Tower Records show (April '94) which was pretty long, but no.... Couldn't see much more than John & John's faces from where I was standing, but I was near the door where They all came out to go to and from the stage area. As They all left, John & John went by, then after a minute Dan & Graham were leaving. I said "Bye Dan! Bye Graham!", and Graham said "See you later." He didn't seem to have an accent... T-shirts were being sold there, so I bought the 2040 Tour shirt (hilarious!) Later on, at Pease Auditorium in Ypsi: We got there and moved to our seats in row M. The Chainsaw Kittens were just starting, so we sat down and 2 of the folks with me put in earplugs (CKs were loud!). For the most part, I was just plain bored by the Kittens. At points I thought they were pretty stupid. Oh, well. The set wasn't too long, and they mercifully put away one of the guitars for the last few songs. TMBG came onstage to a recording of Lady is a Tramp, and suddenly I heard "Ladies and Gentlemen!" I thought it was going to be that extended Ladies and Gentlemen intro from previous concerts, but then I noticed that Flans had his mic stand way up in the air as he said "Schpidah!" And so I finally got to see Spider live! After that They played: -The Guitar -Birdhouse -Sleeping in the Flowers (Flans said that it was inspired by a song that was written under the influence of drugs. Anyone know what he was talking about?) -Spiraling Shape -SEXXY ("for all the ladies...") They brought out the glockenspiel, and had Dan come forward. Then, They proceeded to play -Shoehorn (audience cheered each time Dan hit the glockenspiel) -She's Actual Size -Your Own Worst Enemy -XTC vs. Adam Ant (with an extended ending, during which puppet heads were brought out!) -Exquisite Dead Guy (with aforementioned heads, J & J's voices were prerecorded) -Spy, with usual improv, except that in the middle of improv was -I am Not Your Broom! (Linnell sang his parts, while Flans and Graham sang Broom parts using a cheat sheet) More improv leading into -Istanbul -They Got Lost -HCISLAG Flans made a plug for Then: The Earlier Years, and said this next one is on it -Purple Toupee Flans announced a "Reverb Demo", saying that Linnell's and Graham's mics were loaded with reverb "which is being released in to the mic cables" while his own voice would remain dull and unadorned. They played -I Can Hear You, with L & G singing the Tuba part with reverb. -JKP (with presidential love cannon) -NYC -Older -Twistin' -Til My Head Falls Off -Dig My Grave They said goodnight, left the stage, then J & J came back and played -Lie Still, Little Bottle (with Linnell on Bari sax and Flans on Stick!) Graham and Dan joined Them for -Particle Man -On the Drag Then They left the stage for good. As I and my group decided what we were going to do next, the auditorium started clearing out and roadies started putting equipment away. I decided "What the heck, maybe there's still a setlist." So I went up to the stage (no one else was standing near it) and asked a roadie if there was a setlist he wouldn't mind parting with. He went over by Linnell's keyboard, and peeled up a setlist from the floor and gave it to me! I went skipping happily back up the aisle with my treasure. (Jon, sorry to hear you didn't get one. Say, am I the "girl" that got yours?) Well that's about it (too much even), so I'll end this post. -Sean, who had a great They Day ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702202333.RAA12465@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: announcemento de cardo a la TMBG Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:27:50 -0600 Since it seems a bit rude to use the mailing list to post The TMBG CARDS: THUMBNAIL SERIES I, (but not the thread itself.. I think THAT'S harmless) I am hereby going to see if I just can't post them to a web site and let you poor defensless, flightless birds, hunt for scraps of turkey and rice while everyone else is enjoying the opera. I mean, um.. Anyway, I will NO LONGER USE THE EMAIL to show the TMBG CARDS that I make to give you an idea of what I can do with pen and paper. ALTHOUGH, I have become quite embiggened about the idea of making them, so this will continue, in both design and data and hard copy... iffin this ever gets off the ground. Now is the winter of our discontent! Mike "You kiddies keep your collecting, and stay tuned!" Leffel ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702202046.AA18557@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: persehone? Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:46:55 -0500 (EST) > >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@envy.loyola.edu] > >Sent: Thursday, February 20, 1997 7:20 AM > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: p vs p > > > >Yowza, > >I just got a "Pearl vs. Persephone battle at the Merc Lounge" card! > >Who will win, I wonder? > > Um, who's Persephone? > > Jesse that would be the name of the gal on the cover of John Henry! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old Message-ID: <19970220.144417.9862.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:44:07 EST On Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:53:14 +0100 ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk writes: >(the John's that is) are old enough to be your parents! scary > They're not old enough to be *my* parents. When I was born, neither John had reached puberty yet. Speak for yourself:-). Jen (the other one) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199702201915.OAA22901@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:15:23 -0500 (EST) > > (the John's that is) are old enough to be your parents! scary > Huh? They're not old enough to be *my* parents... m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970220235307.006a4b30@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:53:07 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Cards! >#251 "The evil dot matrix girl on the back of my TMBG t-shirt frightens >yet another grungie at my school" Who, Pearlie? She's HALFTONE, not dot matrix. :) --nicole the wonder nerd who really likes this trading card thread. Anybody got #0-- The Hidden AKA? (Has a picture of a token lying at the bottom of a manhole.) I'll trade it for my #231-- Jumpin' Jack Flansburgh (an Action Card that shows Flanny bouncing around stage.) *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:20:48 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: Cards and things Message-ID: Egad a base tone... Lets face it, the Trading card thread is a hell of a lot better than the "How do you pronounce Linnell" thread. The cards thread is interesting, amusing and is full of variety, unlike the Linnel thread which consists of lots of posts saying "LINN-el", "LI-nel", "lin-NEL" or "SAND-wich: depending on your own personal point of view. I don't know if that's in the FAQ, I had problems with the server when I tried to check, but if it isn't then it shoulf be. I'd just like to thank whoever it was who answered my MIsc T query, unfortunately I've deleted your e-mail so I'll thank you through here. Thanks. Song lyric mis-hearings, When I first head "Nothings gonna change my clothes" I thought the lyrics went "...a tiny dancing skeleton/ Surrounded by a sweaty overcoat and swaddled in/ a furry hat, elastic mask a pair of shiny marble dice", unfortunately they turned out to be the actual lyrics and finally convinved me the world had gone mad ANd lastly, a few more TMBG AKA's for your perusal, enjoyment, annoyance, abject disgust. The Brittish tour subset (I can dream can't I) #1:John Linnel playing the bagpipes on the Scottish leg. Badly. #2a:J&J's exposure by the News of the World as rodent eaters. #2b:Subsequent publicity leads to centre page spread in the Sun, 1 column in the Times, and a special pull out supplement in the Telegraph. #3:J&J realise that thanks to BA all their equipment has been left in America, leaving them to perform the rest of their songs on a Fisher Price my first Guitar/Keyboard. #4:From the Scottish leg, John Flansburgh vomits after trying a deep fried Mars Bar (ActualSound!) #5:John Linnel discovers Littlewoods, all his fashion problems are over! and a normal card #666: Angry American Lister, this card shows an annoyed American lister, uypset because of all the space wasted on the list by a series of cards which make no sense to Americans. Thank you and goodnight. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199702210317.WAA05979@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: XXXXXX@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:17:30 -0500 (EST) > I have been wondering for a while why some listies have email addresses at > tmbg.org. Can I get one like this?? We gave out user@tmbg.org aliases for a while but unfortunately it was too much hassel so I stopped. There will be no more user@tmbg.org aliases created. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:12:34 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220201233_1779115294@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Comedy Product Band? Does anyone out there know what was the name of the band on the Comedy Central show "Comedy Product" and what album that song comes from? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: RE: NONTMBG: More cards stuff Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:32:15 +1100 > >point out that the reason some people get really obsessive about the >cards is that some are genuinely worth vast quantities of money. For >example: The "Black Lotus" magic card is worth around $150 in the >States to my knowledge, and if it's from the alpha edition then thats >closer to $450. > Try not to confuse 'worth' with 'ridiculously inflated prices'. I mean, weren't you guys buying Elmo dolls for thousands of dollars!! Cheers and Beers >10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:34:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220153449_-1742433009@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Non-Cards: SSS, Huh?, and Darkened Corridors >"I Will Survive" and Their "The Biggest One" from the Don't >Let's Start (MiscT) CD? Specifically the line, "Should >have changed that stupid lock. Yup, after hearing Cake's version a zillion times on the radio, I coincidentally put on Misc T, and noticed it right away. >Sarah LinnellGirl followed the advice of another listie, and >had sex with a bouncer at a show. In return he gets her an >autographed "Flansies autographed used serviette with Big >AKA (popular burger) stains". She posts this to the list and >within the week has sent out 612 photocopies. Wait a second.... >"I walk along darkened corridors" sounds like Jim Morrison, >umm Don't you mean Morrisey? :) I however liken it to that ass-kickin' Tom Servo (I watched MST tapes for a majority of my time yesterday, sorry). sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/816linndrag.gif http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/513suitjohns.gif ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:05:57 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Ypsi Show Revisited Message-Id: Um, not to be a rube or anything, but what the heck is with the "stick"? Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970220144049.006ff408@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:40:49 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Cards/FAQ These cards are getting dumber all the time (not counting some new ones from digesters whose ideas are still fresh) I think there are plenty of good ones- enough to make a set so everyone can be happy about having their card-dreams realized. At 10:32 PM 2/19/97 -0800, E. Fjellanger wrote: > BTW, I can see the need developing soon for an addition to the >FAQ. Off the top of my head: >Q. Is there really such a thing as TMBG trading cards? >A. No. I think it should be added to the FAQ. Years from now, after everyone get sick of the cards-talk (yes, even Mike "I started the thing so HA!" Leffel), people will read it and wonder what it was all abouut. Like the TMBG Cereal. PS- Someone please explain to be about TMBG Cereal Evan "I kinda started the card thing, sort of, I think" Chakroff -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:34:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970220153446_-2009593201@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: CARDS! what'd you expect? >Is all this talk about these so-called TMBG trading cards >legitimate or is everyone just bullshitting about their >imaginary cards? Bullshitting, more or less. :) >I might start designing them, but I have no scaanner so the >internet will probably not be able to see them, any ideas? I volunteer! :) Now that my modem works, I can safely upload. If you want to send me a "card" to scan and upload, email me. I'll ask for you to send postage for it back, unless you want me to keep it. :) Okay, Ryan Staib mentioned his scanner and printer. Anyone else? We'll be a team. ;) >Also, from the 'Flans Gets Married' '96 limited set, I have the >rare 'Flans and wife dance to The Famous Polka.' For that set to be completed, you need #969 - Flans' bachelor party. >Also, there's the holographic action "Psychotic Linnell With >Lawnmower." Watch Linnell run over the squirrels! Fun, fun! >Whee! (remember this thread, anybody? For the life of me, I >can't remember how that got started or what it was about, >but who cares. :) Ah hah! Yes! And I even drew a picture of it, but Cuper V. has it. :( Where are ya, Cuper? >Here's another idea. How about whenever someone includes a >card in their post, they also attach a gif or jpg version or >they describe how it would look. Yeah, that's all good, but not if you're on the digest.. Just upload them to the web/or to someone with space on the web (all AOL'ers..) and plug your card like crazy. ;) I've done Linnell in drag and Suit Johns(see my "sig" below), and I still have yet to finish: # 718-A Linnell makes coffee (BEFORE), #216 Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?, and #225 Who's knocking on the wall? (you guys will love this one, I promise). >#114 Linnell Eating in Public >#154 The Johns celebrate an on-time Elektra release >#163 Flansy subscribing to the list >#205 Radioactive Johns >#209 Eric collects his hate mail (he'll need a crane) >#241 Hair-in-curlers Doherty >#300 The Johns cheer as Leo bashes Ifleishinger >#301 Coiled's Mum (Mom in the USA) smacks his >attention-starved backside I do believe these are the best yet! :D I can draw, scan, and upload (I have all the power, yes). I could print, but I'm not volunteering that, because I'm sure my parents wouldn't be too happy with buying a bunch of ink for "TMBG cards" . Ooh! look what I just got! #998 - Christy the OMLT goddess gets ticked at the attention of the cards snatching the attention of the OMLT shirts! ;) >Would everyone please stop taking up list space with this >ridiculous card thread! Out of the last twenty-five posts, >maybe five of them were actually TMBG related. If you're >going to make real cards like many of you have said, then set >up an arrangement not on the list itself. I don't mean to >sound like a party-pooper, but PLEASE, this is driving me >crazy!!! Don't read 'em if you don't like 'em. There's more people interested than not, or so it seems, and it'd be awfully hard to go by email without leaving anyone out. >(What are the dimentions of a card?) I made the size of the ones I drew the size of my Mad Magazine cards I had sitting in my desk. Although I scanned them at a different resolution, so they're not -actual size-! >Also, as I said earlier, I have access to alot of equipment and >software, including things like Photoshop, which most people >use for magazine ads/etc. Here here. :) (let me reiterate - boy you can tell I'm on the digest) - I have artistic ability, scanner, photoshop, and web space. >I'm sure there are enough people out there with Photoediting >experience I'm one! :) Sure, I'm 15, but this is the field I'm going into anyways... :) Oh, and I created a new one (suprise) while watching Conan last night... "#765: Conan likes They". I tried for "Andy emcees", but couldn't draw a good Andy. :P My "Suit Johns" is so cute! I just uploaded that one too! >Just stop on this list. It really has nothing to do with TMBG. Ehhh... Then what are they about? sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/816linndrag.gif http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/513suitjohns.gif (yeah YEAH!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702210408.WAA17726@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: The Final Resting Home For My TMBG AKA'S, And Other Projects Soon To Come Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:02:45 -0600 Thanks to my wonderful, dear, fabulous best friend, Vince Broz, I now have a place to call my own. Currently there are only the previous AKA EXAMPLES I made, (with more to come.. I have 20 more almost made right now..) But, being as he is one of the few people who encourage me (I dwarf many others) I will entrust him with the keeping of the images I am about to release upon the world.....MUHUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! I'LL CONTROL YOU ALL YET! MUHHUHHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!! Anyway, Some stuff is up on http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html And more is soon to come. Mike "The AKA Movement HAS NOT DIED!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702210319.WAA21422@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:19:07 EST From: "It's Probably Quantum" Subject: Re: TMBG: SSS...another direction ** Reply to note from "Brett Ballantini" Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:44:09 EST Oy... > What TMBG songs remind you of non-TMBG songs? Well, Famous Polka reminds me, for some reason, of the Dead Kennedys, though no particular song. :) =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [ ] ^= Evolution in progress! [ ] This is the last song; [ ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [ ] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702210445.XAA22211@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:45:35 EST From: Velveeta Train Subject: Non-TMBG: quick quip ** Reply to note from kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Wed, 19 Feb 97 12:00 EST Moo! > Hmmm... There's a *very* tall, skinny guy who competes against me > at forensics tournaments. I'd always thought he looked somewhat like a Do I wanna know what a forensics tournament might be? Oom, =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] This is the last song; [h ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [e =] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [r cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702210445.XAA22218@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:45:52 EST From: Velveeta Train Subject: TMBG: They Meet Doctor Who ** Reply to note from Beth Connell Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:28:09 -0500 (EST) Zoot! > Card #42 John and John visit Millways, the Restaurant at the end of the > Universe (John and John sitting with the Dish of The Day- A very irked > Peter Davison, who's been in that costume for a good 15 years now..) That was Peter Davison? How did I manage to stay a Whovian for so long without catching that one?!? Bah.... [LAME CARD IDEA CENsORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION], =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] This is the last song; [h ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [e =] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [r cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:26:56 +1000 Message-ID: <00032668.1646@dist.gov.au> From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: TMBG: Australian concert dates - Melbourne and Canberra G'day there. I just got my ticket for the Canberra show and the ticket definitely says Thursday 20 March, not 21 March as listed on the web page. The fliers printed also have this different date. However, They were meant to be playing in Melbourne on that night and Canberra on Fri 21 March. It won't worry me much, in fact I prefer the new date, I was just wondering if anyone in Melbourne knew when their concert was going to be held now... Cheers ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Brett Harrison email: bretth@dist.gov.au Information Industries Taskforce Secretariat Ph: +61 6 213 7194 (W) Department of Industry, Science & Tourism Ph: +61 6 230 6384 (H) 20 Allara St, Canberra ACT Australia 2600 Fax: +61 6 213 7252 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:42:24 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) >went over by Linnell's keyboard, and peeled up a setlist from the floor >and gave it to me! I went skipping happily back up the aisle with my >treasure. (Jon, sorry to hear you didn't get one. Say, am I the "girl" >that got yours?) No, I was after Flansie's setlist on the other side. The roadie with the Kramer shirt ignored me for a full minute or so before grabbing it for the girl. Boo. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "A man is broken." -- Dr. Tim McKay, on physics homework assignment number 5 "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:56:12 -0700 From: acohen@uci.edu (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then I spotted this in New Yorker magazine (Feb.10) about the Irving Plaza shows: "It's been a decade since John Flansburgh and John Linnell first performed jerky little pop songs while wearing improbably enormous masks. The Brooklyn-based duo have been unmasked for some time, but their jerky little pop songs-precociously crafted and full of surreal humor-still flow unabated." Does anyone know about these masks? Are they talking about the masks of the TMBG guy's face seen in the DLS and Puppet Head videos? I found this interesting because my other favorite bands perform wearing masks. Is the version of "Nixon's The One" on Dial-A-Song Online the same as the version from Mono Puff's 1995 Hello EP? I noticed it was the song up on the Presidents' Day weekend. On the Restless site, it proclaims Then: The Earlier Years includes 19 previously unreleased tracks. I counted 18. Are they hiding a song somewhere? Maybe Hell Hotel or something else is on it. ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 01:09:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221010945_619830717@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Ann Arbor and Ypsi shows (long) Sean wrote: >-Sleeping in the Flowers (Flans said that it was inspired by a song that was written under the influence of drugs. Anyone know what he was talking about?) No, but when I saw Them in Prospect Park a couple of years ago, They did Sleeping... and one of them (I remember it as being Linnell) said something like: "This is a song about just being outside and getting high." Being the total anti-drugie person that I am, I was mad at him for a few weeks. Am I blabbering again?, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 01:20:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221012022_1645484357@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: p vs p >Pardon my ignorance. >Who's Pearl????? Pearl is the girl on the inside of the "Why Does the Sun Shine?" ep. Also on the back of a shirt, and probably other places I don't know. -Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 01:22:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221012239_-1441166269@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: We've created a monster!!! In a message dated 97-02-19 14:52:07 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << I think we should make this a project. I would be glad to "weed out the bad cards" as someone put it. (Cause I'm good at telling people that what they made SUCKS :) Whoever wants to be in charge of this should go to the digest archives and find where it started and save all those digests. >> Did my card suck? Joseph ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 01:29:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221012912_1946633036@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Irving tomorow (today) Hi. Just posting to say I hope to see many of you at Irving Plaza later today. I'll be wearing my usual, orange, BIOHAZARD BROOKLYN NEW YORK t-shirt (probably with a green windbreaker). I may even have a computer disk! Just one thing: I'm holding a place for Jordan and co. so if you se me let a couple of people into the line, they're not cutting-- they were there before you!!! Sorry for the multiple posts, Dan "I saw STAR WARS at the Ziegfeld today and it was awsome" E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 02:54:52 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Pearl, and more Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Jonah wrote: Speaking of pearl, does anyone know where she comes from/if there's a story behind her? I've look closely, and I'm almost convinced that the face of Pearl on the shirt is a dot-shaded close up of the face of the girl on the cover of John Henry... I could be wrong, but the similarities are striking. Anyone have any evidence to prove me wrong? Sure! Pearl is the little girl from the excellent 1950's suspense film Night Of The Hunter, with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish, directed by Charles Laughton (his only film as a director). It's a very creepy movie that I highly recommend. I got the Earlier Years sampler (Irving Plaza also sent a poster, which was pretty cool) and, though it only has a few non-LP tracks on it, it's all worth it to have Now That I Have Everything on CD over a month before the official release of the collection. Schoolchildren singing Particle Man is also totally charming. Well, since we've all gotten caught up in this trading card thing, it must mean that as far as post topics go, all bets are off, so, expect a return very soon of the much-loved Weird Literary Finds, so popular a year ago when it encompassed the hilarious travails of a certain Sam and Randy and their search for the secrets of atomic energy. Believe me when I say I've got some more gems to pull out of my a--er, my hat. If you don't know about Sam and Randy, all the answers can be found buried deep within the mystery of Mr. Flippy. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 03:25:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221032517_1282020172@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Miami Show News :( Well, my worst fears have been confirmed. For those of you deep south TMBG fans who've been getting all excited about a Miami show at long last--don't. I spoke to the U of M student activities office, and they said it's gonna be a free show--for U of M students only *heavy sigh*. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings (or the repeater if this has been mentioned before, but I don't think it has). Kay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-51 *****************************