Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-52 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 52 Thursday, 2 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Graham Maby TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: New Adventures In Stereo TMBG: RE Sarah - cards TMBG: Re: tmbg: Hope I die soon TMBG: Re: Hope i die TMBG: British vs. American CARDS TMBG: Trading cards TMBG: non-tmbg stuff (none) Re: TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then TMBG: Ribbit Ribbit Re: TMBG: Ribbit Ribbit Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old Re: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff Re: TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: Another trading card Re: TMBG: Cards TMBG: Linnell in Drag Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: assorted stuff RE: TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown RE: TMBG: Cards ACCOMPLISHED! TMBG: My suit johns card TMBG: cowtown Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Re: TMBG: CARDS TMBG: NON:CARD.... YOU WHINEY BAAAABIES!!!!! :) :) Re: TMBG: Cards Re: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff RE: TMBG: assorted stuff TMBG: Linnell in Drag / Gay? Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag RE: TMBG: Linnell in Drag RE: TMBG: CARDS RE: TMBG: NON:CARD.... YOU WHINEY BAAAABIES!!!!! :) :) TMBG: Kit Kat trades TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. Re: TMBG: New Adventures In Stereo TMBG: Cards Re: TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: Info club TMBG: A plea Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: ATTN: JKP PPL Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Re: TMBG: non-tmbg apologies (PLEEEEEASE DON'T MAKE THIS A THREAD!) TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: OMLT info! (oh, one tiny card reference, too) TMBG: Card #713: OMLT idea stolen TMBG: NEW CARD! Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: TWO-TWENTY-ONE irving plaza palace of wonder Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 03:32:20 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Graham Maby Message-ID: Hey all-- Just a random note to all you Graham Maby fans out there. I am currently reviewing the new Freedy Johnston CD (called _Never Home_, and it comes out next week) for the campus radio station to see what tracks they should play on the air and all that. I was looking through the liner notes and found that Graham himself played bass on the entire album. For the life of me, I can't remember if Graham played on any of Freedy's other albums, but I know he did at least on this one. And if you haven't heard Freedy Johnston before, check him out. He's pretty cool. Oh, and add my name to the list of people who do NOT like the current thread (which is adding enough traffic to the list to constitute a yarn instead of a thread) about the TMBG trading cards. But hey, I just delete them and move on. See ya later. Sebadoh--St. Louis, Monday. I'm there. By any chance is anyone here in St. Louis and going to the show? Should rule...okay, I'm leaving now. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html -- Bill's House of Boots updated 19 Feb. 1997!! "You can never be too pure or too connected...." --Sebadoh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199701010815.DAA08755@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:59:27 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: New Adventures In Stereo Sorry if this is a bit off-topic (at least it's got nothing to do with unamusing trading cards - "Linnell gets a brace fixed", hohohoho), but someone asked the other day about a band called 'New Adventured In Stereo' which Flans had apparently recommmended. They appeared on BBC Radio One yesterday in session on John Peel's programme, so I guess they must be British. They were pretty good, quite a poppy sort of band - as poppy as JP ever gets, anyway. I think I might have seen an album by them, but I may just be confusing them with REM's latest rawk release. Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:44:08 +0100 Message-Id: <97022111440874@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: RE Sarah - cards card #114 Linnell eating in public does not exist, because Linnell doesn't eat. ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:48:24 +0100 Message-Id: <97022111482458@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg: Hope I die soon Well it seems all the zimmer's have hobbled out of the nursing home(no offence) It was just that I had noticed that a lot of people who were putting up surveys were fairly young.And yes they could just about be young/old enough to breed me. ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:47:21 +0100 Message-Id: <97022112472176@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: Hope i die I just checked through my mail and my original message, Hope I die soon I'm too old, was incomplete and as such the message which got sent out didn't make much sense, but nice to see you still care. Yvonne. oh bondage, up yours! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970221133127.0069ebfc@mail.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:31:27 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: British vs. American CARDS >>#251 "The evil dot matrix girl on the back of my TMBG t-shirt frightens >>yet another grungie at my school" >Who, Pearlie? She's HALFTONE, not dot matrix. :) Thank you, dearie. I'm glad I 'm not the only dork that notices these things. >#666: Angry American Lister, this card shows an annoyed American lister, >uypset because of all the space wasted on the list by a series of cards >which make no sense to Americans. WOW! They must have printed a special British edition, because American Card #666 is "Flansburgh Sings Camp Songs With Aleister Crowley." Also, I'm still cracking up over the pair I just got: "Nightmare Morning-Hair Linnell" and "Flans Thinks It's Funny To Hide Linnell's Coffee." ### Note to all card-haters and card-creators out there: ### By always including the word "CARD" in the subject, those who do not ### want to read card posts can automatically filter them out. We should ### adopt this as convention, kind of like the forced "TMBG:", because there ### really are a *lot* of card-only posts. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:42:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221084219_-1340611147@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Trading cards To all fellow TMBGers: I have been following the threads about the trading cards, and these are my suggestions: #1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar #1001 John and John Kick Eric Schermerhorn's Ass #1002 John and John Visit Compton (Picture them in black clothing and this is what the card looks like.) #1003 Flansburgh Flips the Bird at the Audience During a Concert #1004 Flansburgh Trying to Play the Accordion #1005 Audience Flicking Lighters After a TMBG Concert #1006 John and John Setting Things on Fire #1007 My Weird Dream Where They Performed at My School Thank you. ______________________________________________________________________ Chris Buczek Cbuczek@aol.com QNJZ66A@prodigy.com What would be in my 8 CD changer if I had one (I only have a 1 CD at a time stereo): Apollo 18 - TMBG, Blue Hysteria - Rheostatics, Day For Night - The Tragically Hip, Fully Completely - The Tragically Hip, Rock Spectacle - BNL, Whale Music - Rheostatics, Flood - TMBG, Bargainville - Moxy Fruvous http://members.aol.com/Cbuczek/index.html ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:31:49 +0100 Message-Id: <97022114314963@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff I WOULD LIKE TO PERSONALLY APOLOGISE TO ALL OF AMERICA FOR THE SPICE GIRLS. ENGLAND CALLING WE ARE VERY, VERY SORRY BUT THEY GOT PAST QUARANTINE. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702211444.AA05439@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:30:45 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) >I dont want to, I really like the list and enjoy it, >but my point was that I just think that this card thing has gotten WAY >out of hand, and I decided to pitch the idea of a brand new list devoted >entirely to cards. I really think this would be a good idea. I really don't think it's out of hand...it's gotten big because people like it. Eventually people will just get sick of it and stop posting AKAs. It's just a thread, there's no poing in creating a list for something that will probably only last a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if They are going to be coming back to the US after Their overseas tour? Eagerly awaiting the early years... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970221145537.0066b918@awod.com> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:55:37 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then At 09:56 PM 2/20/97 -0700, you wrote: > >Is the version of "Nixon's The One" on Dial-A-Song Online the same as the >version from Mono Puff's 1995 Hello EP? I noticed it was the song up on the >Presidents' Day weekend. It's not the same as the one on 'Unsupervised', but it might be a demo version.... >On the Restless site, it proclaims Then: The Earlier Years includes 19 >previously unreleased tracks. I counted 18. Are they hiding a song >somewhere? Maybe Hell Hotel or something else is on it. Whoops! Apparently they just forgot one. Hopefully Hell Hotel will be on there...I've never heard it myself, but I've heard that it's one of the best unreleased songs from the demo tape (although thanks to Aaron Duprey, I'll be hearing it sometime next week! :) TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702211515.KAA29597@norwich.valley.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:18:24 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Ribbit Ribbit Well, your friendly neighborhood cute and cuddly kid just (8 hours ago) got back from one heck of a TMBG concert at the Toad's Place. This was easily the best of my three concerts, and it's for a number of reasons. 1. I was about a foot away from Flansie the whole time 2. They Played a great set 3. I got a set list I got there about 30 minutes early, and there were about 50 people in front of me. They let us in about 10 minutes late. The Toad's Place was a very cool establishment, and although it had a bar, it was chained off with a wire fence. (Which Flans commented on later) The Chainsaw Kittens came out around 8:45. They weren't nearly as bad as I expected them to be, and I might acctually have liked them had I been able to hear the lead singer. Their best feature was their drummer, who made some wacky wacky expresions. TMBG came on at about 10, and opened with what I think was the critic intro. The list (with comments made by me) is as follows: SPIDER/GUITAR (Grahm got Funky on his solo, he was going nuts!" BIRD SLEEPING SPIRAL SEXXY SHOE HORN ACTUAL (Flans missed his cues during most of this song. But at the end he sang "I ain't afraid of no ghost, I ain't afraid!!!!" WORST XTC/DEAD (That's Exquisite dead guy. I think they were different heads from the first ones I saw. John switched the verses on XTC) SPY/IMPROV. | V BROOM | V ISTANBUL (I was glad to hear IANYB, but they never played the end of spy!!!) DRAG PURPLE (Linnel messed up on the chorus) GIRL I CAN HEAR YOU (This was great Linnel and Grahm pretended to sing and there were these really fake chorus voices) POLK (Original Lyrics) NYC (Cub lyrics) WHERE YR EYES OLDER TWIST TIL DIG -------------------- LIE PARTICLE REPLACEMENTS -------------------- LOST -------------------- Flans got mad at some people who had some incredible signs that had the song names and a great drawing on a peice of paper. If you guys are out there, fell my sympathy, those signs were awesome! I got Flans' set-list from a security guard wearing a "They Might Be Dead" T-shirt. The End. You may now go back to your lives. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Currently in the imaginary 8-cd changer: XTC: Skylarking*Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol*Trainspotting: Soundtrack* Meat Puppets: Too High to Die*Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes* Green Day:Kerplunk*Offspring: Smash*Coyote Shivers: Coyote Shivers Rob Grabill, best straight vodka maker in the world. X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "We're the Spice Girls! It's Great to be Back! All Fucking Right!" -John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970221092437.00709dfc@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:24:37 -0600 From: blue sky on mars Subject: Re: TMBG: Ribbit Ribbit The Chainsaw Kittens came out >around 8:45. They weren't nearly as bad as I expected them to be, and I >might acctually have liked them had I been able to hear the lead singer. >Their best feature was their drummer, who made some wacky wacky expresions. Chainsaw Kittens are great GREAT great!! they're a super band... their newest album isn't their best, but they have lots of really good stuff, most notably probably is their album Pop Heiress... which is one of my favorite cd's of all time... everybody give them a chance when you see them... rabidchild(.paul) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:50:35 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hope I die I'm too old Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Jenifer W Stewart wrote: > > On Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:53:14 +0100 ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk writes: > >(the John's that is) are old enough to be your parents! scary > > > > They're not old enough to be *my* parents. When I was born, neither John > had reached puberty yet. Speak for yourself:-). > > Jen (the other one) > Hmmmm, let's see....I'm 21, so I guess one of them could have been my very young, teenage illegitimate father. :) And actually, I *am* adopted, so you never know..... :) John Flansburgh's love child, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:14:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221111418_1812445066@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff You are not yet forgiven. Send something good to compensate, and then, maybe you'll be forgiven. -Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702211711.AA19213@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Masks/Nixon DAS/Then Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:11:15 -0500 (EST) > > > >Is the version of "Nixon's The One" on Dial-A-Song Online the same as the > >version from Mono Puff's 1995 Hello EP? I noticed it was the song up on the > >Presidents' Day weekend. > > It's not the same as the one on 'Unsupervised', but it might be a demo > version.... Well the Hello tape/CD doesn't have that intro that's on Unsupervised, it's a little different. It could well have been the Hello version. > > >On the Restless site, it proclaims Then: The Earlier Years includes 19 > >previously unreleased tracks. I counted 18. Are they hiding a song > >somewhere? Maybe Hell Hotel or something else is on it. > > Whoops! Apparently they just forgot one. Hopefully Hell Hotel will be on > there...I've never heard it myself, but I've heard that it's one of the best > unreleased songs from the demo tape (although thanks to Aaron Duprey, I'll > be hearing it sometime next week! :) We-el-el-elcome to the Hell Hotel. It is a cool, wacky song but I'm sure that ppl like it so much because it is 1 of the 2 songs not appearing on any single or album (the other one being Become a Robot, of course). It is pretty darn cool of its own right, though. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:33:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221123334_-1340594651@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Didn't we fight our hardest to get the idea that the Johns are gay out of the heads of the millions of people who are NOT TMBG fans' heads??? AND THEN LOOK WHAT SOMEONE DOES!!!!!! THEY PUT JOHN linn-ELL IN DRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I VOTE THAT THIS CARD IS ABOLISHED!!!! WHO'S WITH ME!!!! Tim "falling off his soapbox" M. AKA TMB(do)G or Miscellaneous Tim ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:52:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221125227_-2076894600@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Another trading card I have thought of another trading card to add to the collection: #1010 Audience Slam Dancing to "The Famous Polka" Chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702211802.NAA28241@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:02:25 EST From: Velveeta Train Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards ** Reply to note from Kevin McGuire Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:36:01 -0500 Hmmm... > but my point was that I just think that this card thing has gotten WAY > out of hand, and I decided to pitch the idea of a brand new list devoted > entirely to cards. I really think this would be a good idea. I think that in a week, two weeks tops, the cards will have blown over. We'll be tired of them and out of ideas, for the most part, and the only folks paying much attention to them will be the ones who are working on actually making some of them. :) I like seeing the card silliness, but if I didn't I'd simply have my mailer kill all notes with "card" in the Subject and never have to see most of them. Besides, I've already done my share of complaining for this month. ;) =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] Currently in CD changer: Misc. T [h ] Rusted Root: When I woke [e =] Digital Underground: Sons of the P [r ------------------------------ From: MIKE Message-Id: <199702211830.NAA115438@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Subject: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:30:45 -0500 (EST) okay, lets gets something straight (no pun intended) here... crossdressing is not at all an indication of sexual preference.. so whoever it was that said it was step down and shut up.. 2 cent tip courtesy of: shoehorn with teeth aka mike ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:46:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221134620_542224349@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Of course crossdressing is an indication of sexual preferance! Well, okay, maybe not sexual preferance, but if you're a guy, and you wear women's clothing to feel sexy or whatever, then you are pretty effed up, and need to seek psychological aid! Tell me where crossdressing is perfectly acceptable by all of society and I'll tell you what shrink the transvestite can go see! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970221185431.006b9bd0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:54:31 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: assorted stuff >> Hmmm... There's a *very* tall, skinny guy who competes against me >> at forensics tournaments. I'd always thought he looked somewhat like a > > Do I wanna know what a forensics tournament might be? > Speech 'n' Debate. (nicole the wonder nerd used to do this, back in her heady high school days, and she now has a Degree of Excellence in the National Forensics League, which she has to spell out on her resume because the acronym is "NFL", and employers would naturally assume she meant "National Football League" and conclude that nicole the wonder nerd is titched in the head.) Ask me about the time I quoted TMBG in a debate round! >> Card #42 John and John visit Millways, the Restaurant at the end of the >> Universe (John and John sitting with the Dish of The Day- A very irked >> Peter Davison, who's been in that costume for a good 15 years now..) > > That was Peter Davison? > > How did I manage to stay a Whovian for so long without catching >that one?!? OK, I give up. I've read all 5 books in the HHGTTG trilogy, and I'm still missing out here. Who the heck is Peter Davison? What's a Whovian? Anybody know if the Palo Alto show will be themed like the IP shows were? Will I get to see the Stick, the Love Cannon, and IANYB? Is security at The Edge loose or tight? --nicole the wonder nerd who is out of AKA ideas but still loves the thread. *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:35:06 -0800 >---------- >From: Sr. Extopalopaketal[SMTP:Heyzeus@swbell.net] >Sent: Thursday, February 20, 1997 6:40 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Cowtown, cowtown, cowtown > >But that's not why i wrote! First of all, for the "They songs that sound >vaguely like other people's songs", i nominate the intro to Cowtown as >sounding much like a warped version of the intro to Blister in the Sun by >the Violent Femmes. They've both got the same off-beat syncopation. And >they're both about masturbation. > >Oh wait, sorry, cowtown isn't about masturbation! :) >-I think. *laugh* Actually, I was just thinking of the correlation between Pencil Rain by Them and Purple Rain by (the singer formerly known as Prince). Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cards ACCOMPLISHED! Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:08:21 -0800 >---------- >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com[SMTP:KdsInThHal@aol.com] >Sent: Thursday, February 20, 1997 10:49 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Cards ACCOMPLISHED! > >Yay! So I've only completed one.. But I have more sketches I still have to >upload and colour, and scan, but here's one: > >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/816linndrag.gif Kool. Finally moved an unnumbered card to the numbered list. (: The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:43:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221154307_2094737780@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My suit johns card .... has been switched from #513 to #413. So it's now: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/413suitjohns.gif Thank you... :) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:43:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221154321_-1507940930@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: cowtown >Oh wait, sorry, cowtown isn't about masturbation! :) >-I think. I took the time to try to interpret the lyrics, and I came up with the notion it's about conception, or impregnating (whichever). "We yearn to swim for home..." "How sleepless is the egg.." Yadda yadda.. I think Pencil Rain is the masturbating one.. ;) >everyone can be happy about having their card-dreams >realized. I caught it. ;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:25:07 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 CyburDog@aol.com wrote: > Didn't we fight our hardest to get the idea that the Johns are gay out of the > heads of the millions of people who are NOT TMBG fans' heads??? > AND THEN LOOK WHAT SOMEONE DOES!!!!!! > THEY PUT JOHN linn-ELL IN DRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > I VOTE THAT THIS CARD IS ABOLISHED!!!! > > WHO'S WITH ME!!!! > Well...not me. Personally, I guess I don't really care who thinks who is or isn't gay. I know they're not, but so what if they were? It wouldn't change my opinion of them at all. And besides, if you're this shocked at the thought of a guy in drag, you've obviously never watched Kids In The Hall. :) Resident bleeding-heart liberal, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:05:44 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221170543_1581842808@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS Ok... how about these? #387-Dial-A-Song machine #387ERROR- Broken Dial-A-Song machine! Know where I get the number? Pretty easy... Don't bother cluttering up the list with the answer... TMB(do)G or Miscellaneous Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702212227.QAA11431@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON:CARD.... YOU WHINEY BAAAABIES!!!!! :) :) Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:21:54 -0600 Does anybody know of/have any TMBG MODS? Mike "I pronounce it LAYNE-AL" LEF-ul maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330E1D8F.7160@toothfairy.com> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:11:27 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards > > but my point was that I just think that this card thing has gotten WAY > > out of hand, and I decided to pitch the idea of a brand new list devoted > > entirely to cards. I really think this would be a good idea. > > I think that in a week, two weeks tops, the cards will have blown > over. Okay, okay. You're right about that, but Im sick if the cards NOW! I want them to be gone NOW! Maybe I'm just coming up with an excuse to post to the list. Oh well. You did have a good point. > We'll be tired of them and out of ideas, for the most part, and the > only folks paying much attention to them will be the ones who are working > on actually making some of them. :) Yep. -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330E3C15.C71@swbell.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:21:41 -0800 From: "Sr. Extopalopaketal (a minor Mayan deity)" Organization: Llamapetters International Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff >I WOULD LIKE TO PERSONALLY APOLOGISE TO ALL OF AMERICA FOR THE SPICE GIRLS. ENGLAND CALLING WE ARE VERY, VERY SORRY BUT THEY GOT PAST QUARANTINE. Could you apologize for Bush, too? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: assorted stuff Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:50:08 -0800 >---------- >From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd[SMTP:ana.ng@tmbg.org] >Sent: Friday, February 21, 1997 10:54 AM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: assorted stuff > > Ask me about the time I quoted TMBG in a debate round! Okay, I'll bite. (: > >>> Card #42 John and John visit Millways, the Restaurant at the end of the >>> Universe (John and John sitting with the Dish of The Day- A very irked >>> Peter Davison, who's been in that costume for a good 15 years now..) >> >> That was Peter Davison? >> >> How did I manage to stay a Whovian for so long without catching >>that one?!? > >OK, I give up. I've read all 5 books in the HHGTTG trilogy, and I'm still >missing out here. Who the heck is Peter Davison? What's a Whovian? I believe he was one of the Dr. Who's. And a Whovian is someone into the British series Dr. Who. > >--nicole the wonder nerd >who is out of AKA ideas but still loves the thread. Always have liked that name... "Nicole the Wonder Nerd" Its so....amusing. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970221180336.006ffd34@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:03:36 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Linnell in Drag / Gay? At 03:25 PM 2/21/97 -0600, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: >Well...not me. Personally, I guess I don't really care who thinks who is >or isn't gay. I know they're not, but so what if they were? It wouldn't >change my opinion of them at all. And besides, if you're this shocked at >the thought of a guy in drag, you've obviously never watched Kids In The >Hall. :) Yeah, I found out my English teacher is gay, and I can honestly say I hate him now just as much as I did when I thought he was straight. :) well, enough of that. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:07:22 -0500 (EST) From: "What cows, where?" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Message-ID: Yeah, I guess it's good to keep the groove going, but maybe the card could be a stand to show that we are all past the "AAAUGH! No he isn't!!!!" stage and have moved on to where we can laugh at the ignorance people have portrayed :) Just a 'lil thought from another crazed intellectual doughnut head :P Christine Jellybean "Well turn off the door and shut the lights, I'm outta here!" -Hug a cow. It'll make ya laugh- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:10:04 -0800 >---------- >From: Tara Lynne Weber[SMTP:00085244@bigred.unl.edu] >Sent: Friday, February 21, 1997 1:25 PM >To: You Crazy Kids >Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag [snip] >Well...not me. Personally, I guess I don't really care who thinks who is >or isn't gay. I know they're not, but so what if they were? It wouldn't >change my opinion of them at all. And besides, if you're this shocked at >the thought of a guy in drag, you've obviously never watched Kids In The >Hall. :) *laugh* I *HIGHLY* recommend KITH for anyone who like TMBG!!! Probably the best comedy I've seen from Cananadanada. (: >Resident bleeding-heart liberal, >--Tara I'm not a liberal, but I still have gay friends. *shrug* Doesn't matter to me, so long as they don't hit on me (which would fall under the "unwanted attention" category, which really has nothing to do with "gay" or "straight".) (: Jesse > >-- >Tara Weber > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: CARDS Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:12:20 -0800 >---------- >From: CyburDog@aol.com[SMTP:CyburDog@aol.com] >Sent: Friday, February 21, 1997 2:05 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: CARDS > >Ok... >how about these? >#387-Dial-A-Song machine >#387ERROR- Broken Dial-A-Song machine! > >Know where I get the number? >Pretty easy... >Don't bother cluttering up the list with the answer... Okay, I'm bumping #387 - Linnell Running From Fans After A Show to #386, because Dial-a-song REALLY belongs at 387. >TMB(do)G >or >Miscellaneous Tim > The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: NON:CARD.... YOU WHINEY BAAAABIES!!!!! :) :) Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:16:19 -0800 >---------- >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] >Sent: Friday, February 21, 1997 2:21 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: NON:CARD.... YOU WHINEY BAAAABIES!!!!! :) :) > >Does anybody know of/have any TMBG MODS? > >Mike "I pronounce it LAYNE-AL" LEF-ul > >maleffel@ncfcomm.com MODs, as in the .mod files? Not particularly, but I'm putting together my personal contribution to the Tribute Album in QuadraComposer, a well-done PD MOD editor on my Amiga. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:57:24 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge and/or Criag Subject: TMBG: Kit Kat trades Message-ID: Ok, boys and girls, I have been promising the Kit Kat acoustic show with TMBG for some time now. Well now I have the actual CD to make copies from! I am looking for trades; I can package the acoustic tape with the Vin Scelsa show (2/2/97) and hope I can get a tape of a full concert. I am particularly looking for these shows: July 8, 1995: Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ January 16, 1996: Count Basie Theater, Red Bank, NJ August 14, 1996: The Tradewinds, Sea Bright, NJ Feburary 1997: Irving Plaza, New York City (Hope I can get them all!) I am also looking for any in-studio interviews that went with these shows (I know the 8/14/96 show has an interview from WHTG-FM, the others I'm not sure). Please e-mail me privately with your interest in trading for this. Oh, the song list from Kit Kat: James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Your Own Worst Enemy Older New York City Ana Ng * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "In the soil of leadership sprout the seeds of immortality." Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order "This land is your land, this land is your land, get off of my land, i'll kill you now..." TMBG * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:06:47 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. Message-ID: After perusing 156 messages at my cgicafe.com account from 3 mailing lists, I log in here to read my 10 or so messages from the 3 digested lists I'm on here (there's a few more on each site that are so low traffic I don't count them) to find -70- messages! I got about a digest worth of mail in non-digest form. Anybody else experience this? (I also got another digest after all the non-digested messages. Maybe my message just broke it or something?) Beth "I'm on way too many mailing lists" Connell, who (NON-TMBG) just got on a Connells mailing list! Thanks, Bill T.! <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970221191106.00701c3c@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:11:06 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: New Adventures In Stereo At 10:59 AM 2/21/97 +0000, Mark wrote: >someone asked the other day about a band called 'New Adventured In Stereo' >which Flans had apparently recommmended. They appeared on BBC Radio One >yesterday in session on John Peel's programme, so I guess they must be >British. They were pretty good, quite a poppy sort of band - as poppy as JP >ever gets, anyway. I think I might have seen an album by them, but I may >just be confusing them with REM's latest rawk release. John Lynne-EEL said he liked them at the IP chat thing. I'd like to know more about them. (Album?) Evan "a post that's not about cards" SHAK-rof oh yeah, the band names was Adventures In Stereo, I think -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Cards Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:12:15 -0800 Okay folks... It's not up now, but by tomorrow sometime (probably midday, PST aka GMT -08:00) my definitive spreadsheet of the cards will be up. The location will be: http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/cards.html Don't go there yet though, it's not there yet (I can only put it up from home. Firewall from work and all, ya know.) I'll also incorporate in all the gif's I've located sometime in the next week (they're not on it just yet). I'm keeping a separate list of the cards in sorta the order received and by who came up with them. That won't be posted, cause it's kinda ugly. (: The table list will be kinda plain for now, but it (the automated conversion from my spreadsheet into html) seems to be working great. I'll pretty it up a bit next week, when I add in the gif links. If ya have any questions, I won't see this list (or this account) until Monday, but I WILL get to them then. (: The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 20:18:45 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Beth Connell wrote: > Beth "I'm on way too many mailing lists" Connell, who (NON-TMBG) just got > on a Connells mailing list! Thanks, Bill T.! > Yet again, I have come to the rescue of another one of those people who would benefit greatly merely from knowing me....nah, just kidding. Anyway, I think that I deserve at least a little credit for all of my mailing lists. In addition to TMBG, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Pavement, Sugar, Phish, and the Connells, I have now also joined the esteemed Sebadoh list. Quite possibly, if I didn't check my e-mail every couple of hours, I would get about 200 messages or more a day. Damn. Okay, now for some TMBG content....um....anyone notice how so many of TMBG's "not ready to join the band full-time quite yet" players have had pretty esteemed careers outside of Them? I mean, Tony Maimone played with Pere Ubu and Bob Mould, Graham Maby with Freedy Johnston, and some others that I can't think of right now. We're talking quality here...okay, I'm outta here. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Message-ID: <19970221.213426.6718.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:33:56 EST On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:25:07 -0600 (CST) Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> writes: >Well...not me. Personally, I guess I don't really care who thinks who >is >or isn't gay. I know they're not, but so what if they were? It >wouldn't >change my opinion of them at all. And besides, if you're this shocked >at >the thought of a guy in drag, you've obviously never watched Kids In >The >Hall. :) > >Resident bleeding-heart liberal, Amen sister!! ;-) Jen (no, the other one) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330E1F02.6CFA@toothfairy.com> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:17:38 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: Info club Hey, on tmbg.com it says you can subscribe to the Information Club by sending e-mail. Since I am really lazy and can't afford the $0.32 (is that even the right price?) for a snail mail request, does anyone know the address I would send to? And yes, I do know that tmbg.com is the Info club, I just like the old fashioned style. -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970222030924.006921c4@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:09:24 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: TMBG: A plea Okay people, as much as i like the cards, i don't have the time or the patience to sift through 100+ emails a day to find something relevant. Please stop posting AKA descriptions, instead find a single person for everyone to send them to and then compile them, and THEN post them to the list. But to just post a description of a card is a little out of hand. It takes up alot of bandwidth, and important stuff may slip through the cracks. I'm not a party pooper, hell i like the whole card idea, but it IS out of hand. If 60 out of 90 messages are just about cards, and redundant at that, then it's a monster. zink a lurker with an opinion * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:18:23 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag >Of course crossdressing is an indication of sexual preferance! Well, okay, >maybe not sexual preferance, but if you're a guy, and you wear women's >clothing to feel sexy or whatever, then you are pretty effed up, and need to >seek psychological aid! >Tell me where crossdressing is perfectly acceptable by all of society and >I'll tell you what shrink the transvestite can go see! hey, some of the greatest people of all time were transvestites: Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) Any member of poison How bout the rocky horror picture show--a classic they might not be accepted by society, but they are just trying to make a point, that you should accept people no matter who they are or what they look like--which was what almost every song twisted sister sang was about-telling people to accept everyone for who they are... but i'm getting off the tmbg thing... now i don't think john and john would be the best looking women, and because people still judge others on what they look like, they might actually lose fans, but they might make a point, and hey, they are always trying to be different, that's one way, perhaps too much of a shock for some, but different...maybe even interesting... just a point kevin shiner illuminatedk9@hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 22:50 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: ATTN: JKP PPL Through an unforunate mailbox glitch, I've lost the names & addresses of all the folks I was making JKP tapes for. Could you guys email me, please? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:54:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221225402_-1742294985@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag The following is a bonafide flame-magnet: Okay, I really don't want to make the TMBG mailing list a cauldron of controversy, but I can't stand to sit by while people blurt out the generalisms drilled into them by Dog knows what. Look people, you don't have to accept everyone you meet! It's perfectly okay to look at somebody and say "He/she is a scumbag." There's nothing wrong with judging somebody on the first impression they make, this is in many cases the only way to judge people. However, this is definately NOT the ONLY way to judge people. It is absolutely necessary to let people make their own impressions on you as well, so you can see what they are really like on the inside (and all that good mushy stuff). In fact, the only case I can think of where I wouldn't care about somebody's sexual preferance is TMBG. Yes, I know they are not gay, but if they were, I would not think any less of them. This is because they have proven their talent to me (and mannnnnnnnny others) and I don't think them being gay/straight/bi/whatever will ever affect my opinion of them. Being "different" is one thing, but wearing the clothing of and acting like a member of the opposite sex is just wrong. Rocky Horror Picture Show or not, transvestitism is nothing to laugh at. Well, except in RHPS. Now all of ya probably think I'm some cranky old bastard who's sore at the world for dealing him a bad hand, but this is equally untrue (as what?) I am 16, and have formed very strong opinions about such things. I have no problem with gay people, as long as they don't scream and shout about it, and expect to get special rights or anything. Hoping in vain that he didn't offend anyone, Kamesennin (Geoff) ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:00:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221230021_-1675325728@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg apologies (PLEEEEEASE DON'T MAKE THIS A THREAD!) Some people said <<<>>> <> no, no! no apology needed for bush I think they're rather good! I got their new album for Christmas and I LOVE it!!! TMB(do)G or Blah Blah... I'm to tired of typing to type my .sig... "Blah Blah" -Blah, Blah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC204B.2EC48B80@cyberguy.netheaven.com> From: Dan Studnicky Subject: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:01:30 -0500 OK, forgive me for the following question, but I haven't been reading the list lately. What is going on with these TMBG cards? Where can I get them? How/When did they start? Also, I think I read somewhere, on a past digest list, that there is a "Special" Factory Showroom Box Set or something out. Is this true? Also, what's OMLT? ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:15:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970221231517_1913161561@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT info! (oh, one tiny card reference, too) xOoh! look what I just got! #998 - Christy the OMLT goddess gets ticked at the xattention of the cards snatching the attention of the OMLT shirts! Yes... seething in rage, she picks up her mighty broom and... ah, well, it's too graphic. :) (Secretly, however, she wants to trade you for her #587- Linnell's "Latte Party") Actually, the OMLT Goddess is still around and still enjoys refering to herself in the third person. She is stealthily waiting for the design voting to end before she leaps into action and starts taking final orders. Then all those silly cards will be forgotten and masses of adoring listees will again be under her power, pelting her with money, chocolate, and TMBG memorabilia in an attempt to bribe OMLT info out of her. Seriously, the Goddess has been receiving a whole lot of desperate e-mail about reprinting OMLT prices, sizes, etc. Well, this is the last time she's giving it out for free! Next time it'll cost ya at *least* a Whitman's sampler. OMLT= Official Mailing List T-shirt. Shirts are 50/50 blend. Design voting is in process at Evan's web site whose address excapes the Goddess's mind at the moment. Voting will end at the end of the month, if the Goddess remembers correctly. Got a problem/question about designs? Talk to Evan, the other ruling member of the OMLT Oligarchy. The Goddess is sick of fielding design questions. Prices are per ink color, as follows: 1 color-- $6 per shirt 2 color-- $7.20 3-- $8.40 4-- $9.60 5-- $10.80 etc. There is a $20 setup fee per ink color which has been factored into these prices already. Prices are for sizes L and XL; XXL can be purchased for an additional $1.25. The Goddess will look into getting mediums for those who mailed her politely about the issue, but no promises. The Goddess's opinion of the idea of putting a quote on the OMLT sleeve-- sounds fun, but be reasonable. It may not be possible; if it is, it will certainly cost more. The Goddess will ask about it, but don't get your hopes up. It is hard enough already to keep prices down to the satisfaction of the poor, pitiful, broke inhabitants of the list, who feel the need to mail the Goddess constantly to remind her of exactly how pitiful and broke they are. That's about it, folks. The Goddess will now retreat into her physics cave and possibly not return for some time. (She is there quite often, which is why she often a bit slow to reply to non-vital mail. The Goddess's teachers have no sympathy for the plight of the OMLT.) --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:04:45 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Card #713: OMLT idea stolen Message-ID: I just got this new card, in which Christi and Evan Chakroff are depicted. Evan is bashing the original OMLT idea creator over the head, while Christi runs off with all the t-shirts. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330E8B6C.10FA@mixcom.com> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:00:12 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: TMBG: NEW CARD! I just got the rare card #150--Liberated Broom anyone wanna trade? -- VooDoo Ben--MattM@Mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " And the cow says: MOOOooooo! " (Fisher-Price See & Say) --- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 01:34:44 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Message-id: What does being gay have to do with making great music? Who gives a damn? That's their business, if the gay thing is true, and if it isn't well, just listen to your CDs and go to concert like yer spose to. Eh? sPyDiiR ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 02:38:07 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222023807_-1407518233@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TWO-TWENTY-ONE irving plaza palace of wonder OKAY, FOLKFAMILY, get ready to wiggle and wrangle with jealousy, here comes what should be construed as a Vague and Partial, in no way in order. I never do this b/c I suck at recounting playlists, but this is a special show and know that others will fill in my gaps and correct the order -- (and I can walk home from IP in 12 minutes :). But what's really important to note is that the Johns did the first set by themselves (with tape and drum machine and the assistance of Pat Dillett) then took a break -- then came back with the band -- but no guitarist tonight -- so someone with a setlist and/or a boot and/or a better brain for this stuff can divide it and designate for you guys (some youll be able to guess). (and youll notice theyre clumped by albums, b/c that's how I tend to remember stuff.) (intro/song I cant name) Cowtown (a tribute to wed-aol-nights, no doubt) Puppet Head (in its traditional 2nd place) Number Three (duh) [and from here the order's totally off] I"ll Sink Manhattan (flans said "not many people like it" -- he needs to get in touch with the people) Hide Away Folk Family (complete with backwards singing :D) Ana Ng (caffeinated youthful speed) Eyes dont go Cage and aquarium She's an Angel :):):) You'll Miss Me (?!) Nothings Gonna Change my Clothes Mister Me I Hope that I get Old Before I Die Rhythm Section Want Ad Purple Toupee Lie Still, Little Bottle Shoehorn ( Hotel Detective NOT IN ORDER -- but when they came back from break They continued with : The Kitten Intro :) -- it's your kinda intro. No one knows my plan ("safety first, conga second" -- jcf) James K Polk Sexxy Till My Head Falls Off Equisite Dead Guy Spider Guitar Particle Man (I wish They'd occasionally muster the courage not to play it) Istanbul Twistin NYC Spy -- that segued into: BROOM!!! (back up like last week plus Flans: this ruled -- sneak attack) Dig My Grave some disappointing absences: okay, I dont have any right to complain, but I have to say I was sad not to hear KMSOG (of course!!) and Crane. obviously there's (necessarily a) really long list of MIAs here, including World's Address. (wait -- this cant be right -- I must be going insane: how could they not have played Dont Let's Start -- someone please email me on this, Im sure Ive just spaced this in all the excitement.) other random comments: -- They both seemed like they werent sick and were in good moods :) -- Flans recently got a haircut. -- For those of you keeping a ratings diary and/or track of what JSL wears, it was a black long sleeved shirt with orange (?) stripe across the chest. perhaps this should be added to the tracking section on steamy thing. that and which glasses is flans wearing? -- I'll happily give my first child to Brian Dewan ;) ("is it laceleg? no.") -- shot off the cannon (when? -- it's all a sweaty blur) but no warning this week about getting crap in your eyes, just to watch for pellets. -- the protective plastic covering on the handle of linnell's new (boooo -- that's for the new aspect) shiny, red accordian that he pointed out to the crowd on 2/7 is still there: watch for it on the road. -- and was it me or was Dan Hickey's hair more Brian-like? quite a legacy. Wishing you all were here (hey! how did everyone get into my apartment?!), -- the jen that is not the other jen. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-52 *****************************