Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-53 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 53 Friday, 3 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: IP TMBG: Re: Apology... Re: TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. non-TMBG: forgiveness TMBG: More OMLT Info! (Card-Free!) Re: non-TMBG: forgiveness TMBG: Then - the secret 19th track! :> TMBG: _The Happy Mutant Handbook_ TMBG: ip TMBG: draggy linny, apologies from the uk, kith, new aka needs # TMBG: 2/21 IP (GREAT!) Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: OMLT TMBG: TMBG+Quake= Who knows?? TMBG: NEW CARD SUBSET (beware, feisty cardhaters) Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: TMBG in debate TMBG: The Guitar? TMBG: Maby/ Palo Alto Tix Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: I was Graham Maby's Guest at last night's show!!! =) TMBG: The cards are real. I created one. Here it is again... TMBG: TMBG at the Merc Lounge in April! TMBG: Re: The Guitar? Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Re: TMBG: The Guitar? Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Re: TMBG: The Guitar? TMBG: Brazil: The Movie TMBG: some corrections to Joel's post Re: TMBG: Pearl, and more TMBG: My 3rd, (partly sad) Irving experience Re: TMBG: Pearl, and more Re: TMBG: My 3rd, (partly sad) Irving experience TMBG: My sad IP review TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-52 TMBG: ip show's TMBG: survey blues Re: TMBG: TWO-TWENTY-ONE irving plaza palace of wonder TMBG: Jordan's IP review Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: Slightly late Irving Plaza. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702221148.AA20073@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: IP Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 06:48:11 -0500 (EST) Hello, I am at the U of Scranton and I just got back from the Irving Plaza show and it was highly excellent. They played many songs from the pink album and also from PLincoln and from Misc. T. They later went to bring the frull band into the picture and play some of the newer songs. Some of the songs that i ccan remmeber them playingh were Cowtown, Mr. Me, Purt your Hand inside the PUppethead, Nothing's gonna Change my Clothes, I HOpe that I get Old before I die, Ana Ng, #3 (with weird tape machine background), She's an Angel, We're the Replacements, I'll sink Manhattan and others that i cannot think of at this time. And yes they ddi use the tape machine in the first part of the set ansd it was only John & JOhn. Then they brought on the full band and went into some more of the new stuff,but before that they played Rhythm Section WAnt Ad with th efull band!!!!!! Unfortunatley, Linnell did not play accordian with that song, but he played the keyboard. Brian Dewan also opened for this event, along with Chainsaw Kittens. I rather liked Rumpul;stilskin and some other ones he played on his zithers, but I was not too fond of Chainsaw Kittens. The doors opend around 8:00 and they finished around 1 or 1:30, and now I'm back here in Scranton at 6:30am, blah, very tired blah. Ok, I also enjoyedmeeting all of the listies out there from NY and other lands that came to the show, it was a once-in-a-lifetime gig! Well, I'm off hop0efully to bed now, maybe I'll sleep the day away. bye Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Irving Plaza, NYC 2/21 Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 10:55:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222105504_-1507866984@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Apology... Okay folks, here it comes: (And be aware that this is the last of it...) I didn't want to make this list a "cauldron of controversy", but the many e-mails I recieved over the last couple of days has shown me that I inadvertantly have done so. The only point I wanted to make was that I can't stand people who strive to make their sexual orientation known to the world. If you're gay, then you're gay, and I have no problems with that, unless the only thing you are is gay, i.e., you devote your time to making sure everyone around you knows your preferance. I don't go around shouting about how I am "straight", so I don't appreciate it when others do similar things. I know a few gay people. One of my parents friends is gay, and I think he is a really cool guy. I really don't care if anyone is gay or not, as long as they have proven thier other traits as human beings as well. I just didn't choose my words carefully enough. I meant to give the Johns as an example of this, however I realize that saying "the only case I can think of where I wouldn't care about somebody's sexual preferance is TMBG" is a very poor way of doing it. There are many other cases, as in the person I mentioned above. I chose the wrong words to express my opinon. (And that's all it is... an opinion.) All I ask is to end this here. You will never recieve another non-music related message from me, as I, as much as you, don't want to read things like this and my previous message. I made a mistake, and I am sorry. ::Sigh:: -Kamesennin (Geoff) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970221232702.006a3444@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:27:02 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Not really TMBG, but sorta list related.. At 08:18 PM 2/21/97 -0600, you wrote: >Okay, now for some TMBG content....um....anyone notice how so many of >TMBG's "not ready to join the band full-time quite yet" players have had >pretty esteemed careers outside of Them? I mean, Tony Maimone played with >Pere Ubu and Bob Mould, Graham Maby with Freedy Johnston, and some others >that I can't think of right now. We're talking quality here...okay, I'm >outta here. See ya. And what are They might Be Giants? Pureed Horse Shit? :) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702221628.AA09516@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:14:46 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: non-TMBG: forgiveness >You are not yet forgiven. Send something good to compensate, and then, maybe >you'll be forgiven. Wait just a second! Have we forgiven them for Oasis yet?? I think they owe us two. <> Oh, make that 3...or maybe bush is bad enough to make it 4... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970222115430.00708d30@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:54:30 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: More OMLT Info! (Card-Free!) Well, After reading that message about OMLT prices I decided i should give some info. I really should be doing my English project, which is due in 2 days and I haven't started yet, but instead I'm having my breakfast of Doritos and Surge (does a body good) and reading email. So here goes: The Official OMLT Voting Page is.... http://home.ml.org/omlt go there, and vote if you haven't already. Also, (NON-TMBG) if you're impressed with my HTML work (and who would be?) you might want to check out my homepage: http://spot.home.ml.org/index2.html or, If you've got Netscape Navigator 3, go to http://spot.home.ml.org/8888 which is a really cool javascript navigation bar that's gonna be part of someones homepage later (the old version of their homepage is http://spoci.home.ml.org ) So that's that. Evan "The guy who's not really responsible enough to run the voting" Chakroff, who never talks about himself in the third person -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970222123628.00702284@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:36:28 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: non-TMBG: forgiveness At 11:14 AM 2/22/97 -0500, Nathan Todd wrote: >Wait just a second! Have we forgiven them for Oasis yet?? I think they owe >us two. > > <> > >Oh, make that 3...or maybe bush is bad enough to make it 4... The Beatles make up for at least four. (Die, thread, die!) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970222184500.0066686c@awod.com> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:45:00 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Then - the secret 19th track! :> Someone mentioned earlier that there are supposed to be 19 tracks of unreleased material on Then, but only 18 were listed on the Restless page. Well, the 19th track is Greek #3, and it'll probably be listed on the page by the time you get this letter...I e-mailed the webmistress and told her the mistake. BTW, I also asked her if Hell Hotel might be released as a B-side on a single from Then, should one be released... If I hear anything else, I'll forward it to the list... Oh, and does anyone know how many other songs Restless has the rights to that aren't going to be on Then? TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 22 Feb 97 13:57 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: _The Happy Mutant Handbook_ Has anyone else on here ever seen this book? It's sort of a sourcebook for fun stuff bent on confusing the "Normals" in society. Anyway, in the forword, there is a chart telling how to distinguish between Happy Mutants, Normals, and Unhappy Mutants. Stuff like favorite movies - Happy Mutant: "Brazil," Normal: "Sleepless In Seattle," Unhappy Mutant: "Faces of Death." For music, guess what band is categorized as the Happy Mutant's choice? They Might Be Giants, of course. I love this book. :) For anyone interested, the editors are Mark Frauenfelder, Carla Sinclair, and Gareth Branwyn, and the ISBN # is 1-57322-502-9. I firmly believe that it should occupy a space of honor on any self-respecting Happy Mutant's bookshelf. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:34:55 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: ip Message-id: <01IFPXCK9QLU9FMA90@JCS1.JCSTATE.EDU> did anybody fromt the list get the cd sampler that they gave away at the show? i would love to trade for it, after you post what's on it of course. is it the full 72 songs, a mix of some songs off of the double cd, or is it songs that they played on the 14th. speaking of the 14th, did\ anyone get a tape of that? i would like very much to trade. what about the guy that got the cd flans threw at the end of the show, are you on the list? gotta go read you all later. j ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:00:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222150010_106145428@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: draggy linny, apologies from the uk, kith, new aka needs # >#1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar He actually does play guitar. >Didn't we fight our hardest to get the idea that the Johns are >gay out of the heads of the millions of people who are NOT >TMBG fans' heads??? >AND THEN LOOK WHAT SOMEONE DOES!!!!!! >THEY PUT JOHN linn-ELL IN DRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >I VOTE THAT THIS CARD IS ABOLISHED!!!! C'mon dear, say it with me... DRAG does not equal GAY. >And besides, if you're this shocked at the thought of a guy in >drag, you've obviously never watched Kids In The Hall. :) Hee hee... good one, Tara! ;) See, "cyberdog", the drag card coming from me, is actually a positive *drag* thing. I have enourmous respect for guys -- "In touch with their femine side", to word it in a cliche. :) Why would you think of it as an insult, with my name being "Linnellgirl"... Hullo....? >Could you apologize for Bush, too? Please do, and while we're at it -- Oasis. And Benny Hill. >Yeah, I found out my English teacher is gay, and I can honestly >say I hate him now just as much as I did when I thought he >was straight. :) My english teacher is an out lesbian.. and I don't know why I felt the need to share... But... I remember someone else saying their english teacher was gay.. Hmm... >*laugh* I *HIGHLY* recommend KITH for anyone who like >TMBG!! Here here! :) Y'all gotta watch it! I just made a tape for "the notorious r.o.b.".... ask him! :) Hey - I just did the "Linnell shakes his groove thing with his new buddy Beck" -- but I need a #.... Jesse? sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html (RECENTLY UPDATED!!) Currently listening to: Frank Black - "Frank Black" (the one Linnell and Kurt Hoffman are on!) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:27:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222152752_1514867701@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: 2/21 IP (GREAT!) Ok, here I go... Brian Dewan (sp?) was good and funny. I allready felt sick from standing for 3 hours outside, but I refused to get out of my somewhere in between first and second *row* spot to find a place to sit down. Then came a nightmare...the CHAINSAW KITTENS. They were too loud and understandable. I could not take it anymore, but once again, I refused to move. After the CK They came on, as the duo. Here's as far as I remember: some opening song (don't know name) Cowtown Puppett Head #3 I'll Sink Manhattan (Flans explained the story and said many didn't like the song) AnaNg (the slow decaffienatted version) Cage and Aquarium Hotel Detective She's an Angel Rhythm Section Want Ad Hope I get old before I die ~~~That's All I remember from that~~~ SECOND PART (with band) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Polk (with Cannon for President's Week Salute)(FLANS-"EVERYday is president's week with They Might Be Giants") {SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THAT IS POSSIBLE!!!} Guitar S~E~X~X~Y Birdhouse Dig My Grave Twisting Which Describes How You're Feeling Till My Head Falls Off ~~~~ I HAVE A BAD MEMORY!!! OVERALL: GR-8 SHOW (except Chainsaw Kittens {great name for a band, heh?}) I met up with Jordan(had computer disk), Bob, Josh, Adam, Dan E. Boy (also had computer disk). I think that's it. Sorry if I left you out (bad memory!) It was my first They concert. My back is still sore as I write this, but it was worth it! Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:49:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222154953_-1005378295@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? CYBERGUY writes: << OK, forgive me for the following question, but I haven't been reading the list lately. What is going on with these TMBG cards? Where can I get them? How/When did they start? Also, I think I read somewhere, on a past digest list, that there is a "Special" Factory Showroom Box Set or something out. Is this true? Also, what's OMLT? >> The TMBG cards are a figment of listies imaginations. Someone started them as a joke (don't remember who) and they got a *little* out of hand. Some of us are thinking of actually making TMBG cards from the ideas submitted to the list. About the FS Box Set: I believe that it is from the Info Club; a special 3-d model of the boxes on the back cover of FS. I don't know. Let someone else answer that one. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:52:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222155211_-1340484085@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? One more thing. I forgot to mention the OMLT >Also, what's OMLT? OMLT, the Official Mailing List T-shirt, is a project being developed by Christi (Christi587@aol.com) and Evan Chakroff (sp?). It would serve as a means to identify listies at concerts and to have a *uniform*. go to http://omlt.home.ml.org (??) to vote for a design. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:59:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222155918_984632621@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT What is the site for the OMLT??? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC20DC.BE2DD560@cyberguy.netheaven.com> From: Dan Studnicky Subject: TMBG: TMBG+Quake= Who knows?? Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 16:21:18 -0500 Okay, someone just wrote me about They Might Be Giants and id's game Quake. I don't know if they are on the list, but here are a few of their suggestions: -Have the Super Nailgun shoot sapphire colored bullets! -Give a certain kind of enemy a chess piece for a face! -Change the Axe weapon into Flans' guitar, being held by the neck! -When you enter an outdoor area, have it say "Welcome to the Jungle [gym or Jim?]" (Okay, that one is stretching it a bit...) -Make the grunts dance like in the Ana Ng video (wow, won't that be easy...) These suggestions were sent to me by someone named Kamesennin. I think it would be a pretty interesting thread if we could come up with TMBG ideas for Quake. Does anyone have a mod or something for TMBG stuff? I'm not very creative, so I haven't thought of any ideas, but it's a thought. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330F86A1.3F35@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:52:01 -0800 From: "Sr. Extopalopaketal (a minor Mayan deity)" Organization: Llamapetters International Subject: TMBG: NEW CARD SUBSET (beware, feisty cardhaters) I traded in all my pogs for the new They Might Be Controversial subset! Thus far, I only have secured the first 3 in the series: #150 John and John perform "Kiss Me, Son of God" in Vatican City #151 Elektra lawyers swap song names! (or, "The AKA Driver commemarative AKA") #152 John written out of mom's will due to "I Palindrome I" lyrics. thanks! -jOsh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:09:49 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Message-id: You mean the cards aren't real? Then where do the numbers come from? ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > CYBERGUY writes: > > << OK, forgive me for the following question, but I haven't been reading the > list lately. What is going on with these TMBG cards? Where can I get them? > How/When did they start? Also, I think I read somewhere, on a past digest > list, that there is a "Special" Factory Showroom Box Set or something out. > Is this true? Also, what's OMLT? >> > > The TMBG cards are a figment of listies imaginations. Someone started them > as a joke (don't remember who) and they got a *little* out of hand. Some of > us are thinking of actually making TMBG cards from the ideas submitted to the > list. > > About the FS Box Set: > > I believe that it is from the Info Club; a special 3-d model of the boxes on > the back cover of FS. I don't know. Let someone else answer that one. > > Joel > http://members.aol.com/yoel97 > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:13:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222171301_820256715@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? In a message dated 97-02-22 17:09:08 EST, jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu (sPyDiiR) writes: << You mean the cards aren't real? Then where do the numbers come from? >> The cards are not real, yet! :) The numbers are also made up, some haphazardly (sp?)(I like that word!) and some have signifigance to the card. For example the recently submitted Dial-a-song card is #387. 387, by no coincidence is the exchange (1st 3 numbers) of the Dial-a-Song phone number Joel http://membersFrom owner-tmbg-list Thu Jan 2 15:26:38 1997 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id PAA07516 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 2 Jan 1997 15:26:38 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199702222213.RAA09805@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:13:33 -0500 (EST) X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Leo Bicknell Gotta tell you that "Then: The Earlier Years" is really cool, and you should expect some cool information about it on the web site real soon. The web server is now at my office so it's easier for me to work on it and I can get to some back updates. Along with that note I would like to remind people about the CDnow logo on the web page. If you go to CDnow from the logo on www.tmbg.org and then buy something (like, Then!) I get a 5% bonus in my account for pointing people at CDNow. :-) I am told in another week or two they will start taking advanced orders for those who must have it as soon as it comes out. This is a good opportinity to "pay back" your webmasters for all the hard work. (and yes, that means I'll share with Jon and Sean :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org .aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:33:43 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: TMBG in debate Message-ID: Hokay, enough people have asked me about this that I think it's fair to subject everyone to my debate TMBG story. Also I'm home this weekend and stuck using PINE instead of Eudora, so I don't have the e-mail addresses of those people who asked me... anyway, here goes. I was in Oxford debate (that's regular, 2 against 2 debate, the kind of debate most people think of when they think "debate", as opposed to Lincoln-Douglas debate, which is 1 against 1 and... okay, I'll shut up now.) My partner and I were the negative team, and the aff guys had just presented a ridiculous plan, the kind known in Speech and Debate circles as a "squirrel". I was giving the 1NC (that's the First Negative Constructive speech (no, it isn't an oxymoron)) and I began it with this : "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am. Such is the gist of the affirmative plan, which is completely nonsensical..." Twas fun. Nobody recognized the quote except for my partner, and that was because I'd subjected her to LOTS and LOTS of TMBG. I think she's a closet TMBG fan now... And that's all the news from here. --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 16:36:37 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: The Guitar? Message-Id: On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >#1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar > He actually does play guitar. How exactly do you know this? Does he play on any albums? Jamal ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:38:48 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702222238.OAA05673@f10.hotmail.com> From: " Carl Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Maby/ Palo Alto Tix As far as I know Graham Maby has played on all Freedy Johnson albums. He has also played on most of Joe Jackson's albums (sorry 'bout showin' my age a bit), so it was really cool to see him on the tour! But I still miss Tony, too. Also, does anyone know where I can get tix to the Palo Alto show on March 13?? I just found out they sold out already. --Carl Hoffmann * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:41:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222174118_-2042940999@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Question: How much is Then expected to cost?? On another note: I realized last night at IP that Flans wears his watch upside down (the 6 facing away from him when hands are at side) Interesting little tidbit, I think. Joel (the investigator) Gedalius "Geh-dahl-ee-us" http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:54:42 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Message-id: Now I understand. They are somehow more appealing if they aren't real...yet. Cool! ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-02-22 17:09:08 EST, jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu (sPyDiiR) > writes: > > << You mean the cards aren't real? Then where do the numbers come from? >> > > The cards are not real, yet! :) > > The numbers are also made up, some haphazardly (sp?)(I like that word!) and > some have signifigance to the card. For example the recently submitted > Dial-a-song card is #387. 387, by no coincidence is the exchange (1st 3 > numbers) of the Dial-a-Song phone number > > Joel > http://members.aol.com/yoel97 > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:01:55 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: I was Graham Maby's Guest at last night's show!!! =) Message-id: Hi TMBGer's! I wish *all* of you could have made it to the IP show last night, it was a TMBG fan's dream come true! Aside from the Edison Recording Session (which was an experience which can never be duplicated!), last's night's show was definitely the best I've ever seen! =) The funny thing is, I *thought* it was going to be a disaster! All started off well - I took the bus from the University of Scranton to NY, and from there I hopped on the subway to get from the Port Authority to the Irving Plaza. (I did the exact same thing last week, so I basically knew exactly what I was doing....or so one would think!) Well, as I was transfering from the A train to the L train, my bag was *stolen!* ...with my TICKET inside!!!!! =o As I was getting off of the train, some kid snatched it and ran.....I actually gave chase, but I lost him in the crowds. I wanted to cry: I was alone and ticketless in New York, I didn't know what to do! =( I sadly made my way over to the Irving Plaza, *praying* that someone would have an extra ticket. (After all, the show was sold out! I didn't think I had any chance of getting into the show!) A few listers (Dan, Josh, and Jordan), whom I met at last week's show, were already in line....however, no one had an extra ticket. I had been in line for about half an hour when I spotted Graham Maby walking down the street. He smiled and said hello as he walked by, and that's when I decidedL: This was my chance, I was going to take it! I said hi to Graham and inquired as to whether I could ask him a question. He said, 'Sure! What's your question?' I told him my little story and asked if there was any way possible that I could purchase another ticket. Graham smiled and said he would do better than that, he would put me on the guest list!!!!!! =) He took my name, thanked me for hiking to NY to see the show, apologized for what had happened, and went inside! Wow! Now, not only would I get to actually see the show, I was Graham Maby's guest!!!! Neato! After this worry was put to rest, I was able to relax and enjoy the company of the *ALL* the supercool listies and friends I found in line!!!!! =) Greetings to Boba, Sarah, Matt James, Alex, Dan, Jordan, Josh, Delia, Olivia, Julie, Liz, Adam, Mike Wood, Kate, Christy, Erin, John, (And I apologize to anyone I may have forgotten!) - you were all supercool in every way, and I had a wonderful time seeing you all again! =) Thanks to the kindness of Graham, I was let in early and chose a sopt, front row center! =) Brain Dewan was awesome (Rumplestiltskin and Cadavers are classics!), then came the ChainSaw Kittens, and then..... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!!!! =) The show was absolutely beyond words! =) John, John, and the drum machine kicked off with: (I Got Linnell's setlist from the first half of the show) Intro on DA88 - this was a funky TMBG intro recording which I've never heard before, definitely neat! =) Cowtown - the John's were FULL of energy! Puppet Head - 'We played this as the second song of the show for 10 years!' Number 3 Mr. Me - Linnell paricularly seemed to enjoy this one! Flans also had fun, he sang 'No-no-no!' in the background! I'll Sink Manhattan - They said They got the idea for this song from grafitti! Flans thought this was a neat idea for a song - he didn't realize that this was the name of a band, he said they weren't too happy! Intro Horns Shoehorn With Teeth - They brought out Jim O'Connor, Dan Levine, and Dan Hickey for this one. Dan was awesome! He played the glockenspiel, he had only about 4 notes to strike during the whole song! He would wait patiently, and ping! He would hit his ONE note right on cue! =) HARMONICA! 32 Footsteps - Flans played the harmonica for this one, it sounded awesome!!!!! =) You'll Miss Me - Flans really got into this one, He sang his heart out! Hell Intro Hide Away Folk Family - They did it just like the good ol' days - Scream as if you're in Hell! =) Hotel Detective - the original version, of course! Very cool to hear live! Ana Ng - Possibly the coolest live version I've heard yet! They played it at a much faster tempo than I've heard it at recent shows. Flans said that this was because when They were younger, They were strung out on caffiene and the faster They played it, the better They thought it sounded! I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die! - This was also a cool thing to hear live! It actually led right into : The Cage and Aquarium She's An Angel - This was a personal highlight of the show! I've never heard this gem live, I'll never forget it! =) Nothing's Going to Change My Clothes - Linnell had fun with this one! Famous Polka - a crowd pleaser every time! =) Here is where They left the stage and took a 20 minute break. They came back out with full band, and (although I don't have the setlist for this half!), They started off with Rhythm Section Want Ad!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely Unbelievable!!!!!!! Some other cool ones (in no particluar order) No One Knows My Plan - conga line I Am Not Your Broom - incorporated into the Spy improv We're The Replacements SEXXY Til My Head Falls Off I can't remember any others right now, but it was TMBG bliss! Oh! Also, Graham said hi to me from onstage! After the show, I hung around, I wanted to say thanks to Graham for being so incredibly wonderful by letting me into the show. He actually saw me afterwards and asked if I enjoyed the show. (silly question!) He also said, 'I saw you in the front row singing every word to every song, I think you knew them better than John and John!' =) I also got to chat with the supercool Velcro Horns, Dan Levine and Jim O'Connor (who knew me by name!). I also got to see John and John as They left (although no one really got to talk with Them). All in all, it was the best TMBG show I've been to as of yet, it will definitely never be equalled! =) Afterwards, I got to meet the very nice Bob Plass, he's a super guy if you ever have the opportunity to meet him! (Make sure to ask him about Lauren!) =) After that, the supercool Matt James drove me back to Scranton, and here I am! I'm really sorry that this post was so so long, but I wanted to try and do the show some justice with a good description! Again, I had a wonderful time seeing every one again, and I look forward to seeing some of you at the Mercury Lounge in April! =) (Yes, TMBG will be at the Merc Lounge in April!) =) Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:02:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222180231_2027737637@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The cards are real. I created one. Here it is again... Just in case you missed it the first time, I am reattaching my (the first?) trading card. Check it out. It's not the greatest certainly, but I really loved the whole idea so much that I created one based on a scene in a song..."You must be piling up a lot of sales, making good income." In a message dated 97-02-22 17:56:17 EST, jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu (sPyDiiR) writes: << Now I understand. They are somehow more appealing if they aren't real...yet. Cool! ****************************************************************************** * Assume no death. ****************************************************************************** * On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-02-22 17:09:08 EST, jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu (sPyDiiR) > writes: > > << You mean the cards aren't real? Then where do the numbers come from? >> > > The cards are not real, yet! :) > > The numbers are also made up, some haphazardly (sp?)(I like that word!) and > some have signifigance to the card. For example the recently submitted > Dial-a-song card is #387. 387, by no coincidence is the exchange (1st 3 > numbers) of the Dial-a-Song phone number > > Joel > http://members.aol.com/yoel97 >> [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (image/gif)] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:03:25 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: TMBG at the Merc Lounge in April! Message-id: Hi TMBGer's! I just wanted to let you all know that I heard that TMBG will be at the Mercury Lounge in New York City in April! I'll keep ya posted with details, hope to see ya there! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:11:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222181153_-1106039818@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? >>On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >#1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar > He actually does play guitar. How exactly do you know this? Does he play on any albums? Jamal<< Well, uh... No, I haven't personally *seen* him play a guitar ('xcept for bass in the Guitar video - how fitting), but I heard somewhere reliable (though I've forgotten where), that he does. I mean, and anyways, he plays keyboard, accordian, saxaphone... I'm sure guitar is no big obstacle for him.. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org MSTie# 77216 ~ TMBGer #45127 http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Message-ID: <19970222.184328.15702.1.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:43:38 EST On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:41:19 -0500 (EST) Yoel97@aol.com writes: >Question: > >How much is Then expected to cost?? $25 or around there would be my guess. >I realized last night at IP that Flans wears his watch upside down >(the 6 >facing away from him when hands are at side) Interesting little >tidbit, I >think. wow;0. How close *were* you, exactly? :) Jen (me, not her) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar? Message-ID: <19970222.184328.15702.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:43:38 EST On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 16:36:37 -0600 (CST) "J, the Mysterious" writes: >On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >> >#1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar >> He actually does play guitar. >How exactly do you know this? Does he play on any albums? > >Jamal > Linnell plays the bass in The Guitar video and Flans said that Linnell plays guitar on one of the previously unreleased songs on Then: The Early Years (although I forget which one). Our Linnell is quite the multi-talented guy! :) the jen that is not the other jen ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:47:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222184729_1148000641@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Jen wrote: << >I realized last night at IP that Flans wears his watch upside down >(the 6 >facing away from him when hands are at side) Interesting little >tidbit, I >think. wow;0. How close *were* you, exactly? :) >> in between first and second *row* (whole row to myself somewhat). I just got a new prescription on my glasses too, so I was able to see a lot, including the set list posted in a back room behind the stage! Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 20:06:57 -0500 Message-Id: <199702230106.UAA00013@MNSi.Net> From: John DeMarco Subject: Re: TMBG: The Guitar? >> >Linnell plays the bass in The Guitar video and Flans said that Linnell >plays guitar on one of the previously unreleased songs on Then: The >Early Years (although I forget which one). Our Linnell is quite the >multi-talented guy! :) > >the jen that is not the other jen > Linnell plays all of the instruments on State Songs except for the drums which as I recall includes guitar. Vince ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702230137.TAA12162@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Brazil: The Movie Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 19:32:11 -0600 I never heard of Brazil before until I read it in the mailing list recently! WHAM! Guess what!? I went to do my taxts at H&R Block today. While I was waiting I was flipping through a old TIME magazine... Oh, I see an article for 12 Monkeys! I keep reading, and lo and behold, they mention Brazil!!! Preety Schpooky!! I'd better rent that soon! BTW, when I saw Linnellgirl's Linny in Drag... I never even *thought* about homosexuality. I kept seeing that episode of NewsRadio in my head where whats his face is in the dress! A NEW AKA IS UP AT http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html !!! Hope you like it! 20+ soon to come! (also, for you slow loaders, a thumbnail version of the thumbnails will perhaps be coming soon) Mike "I forgot his name... Kids in the Hall guy...BAH!" Leffel ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702230139.AA09304@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: some corrections to Joel's post Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 20:39:34 -0500 (EST) Hi, Just a couple things: 1) Ana Ng was actually the fast version that they originally had performed it when they used to be all toked up on coffee, not the slow, decaffeinated version. I did not seem to notice much difference, though. 2) Rhythm Section Want Ad actually came in the second part with the full band, and unfortunately had Linnell on keyboards and not accordian, but I am not complaining, I've been wanting to see this live since I first became a fan! Also, Chainsaw Kittens were pretty bad in my opinion, too. They were just kinda loud alterna-rock with nothing special to offer. Older actually kinda shocked me in the set. I was not sure if they would play new songs as it was billed, Then: The Earlier Years, so it was a strange warp to the future going from early and late 80s songs to 1996 songs! Also, Spy, with the I Am Not Your Broom insert in the middle was great. Someone I saw (maybe Alex?) got the Flans music sheet of the lyrics to IANYB complete with teeth marks! I think the 600-700 miles of driving in these past two days thru maryland, penn, delaware, new jersey, new york, back to new jersey, back to penn, back to baltimore was worth it! Onward and upward, Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Irving Plaza, NYC 2/21 Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 19:52:56 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pearl, and more Message-Id: On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! wrote: > Pearl is the little girl from the excellent 1950's suspense film > Night Of The Hunter, with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish, directed by > Charles Laughton (his only film as a director). It's a very creepy movie > that I highly recommend. After just having rented this film, I have to agree. This info should be included in the FAQ. Does anyone know why They put this girl's face on a shirt? Jamal ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:08:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222210843_106171558@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My 3rd, (partly sad) Irving experience NOTE: I started writing this at 11:00 this morning, and I had to go, so I finished it up now. If any of what follows has already been said-- Deal with it!! My brother and I got there at at about ten after four, and there were a few people there who I already knew (Jordan, Josh, Mike). Jordan was-- well-- sick. And it showed. Well, Cortney showed up right after me and something had happened, but she can tell you herself (in suspense yet?). Next, were a couple of funny southern ladies, one of which was a certified Linnell stalker! They found out Cortney was-- well Cortney, and they said something like, "AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!" Of course they had e-mailed her before, yadda, yadda, yadda. Oh yeah, I also met Joel, and some other people I can't remember. When we finally got in, we all ran straight upstairs, no coat check, and got really good spots in the first row. Brian Dewan opened first, and he was great again! The second group, Chainsaw Kittens came onI was expecting this whole big punk group, and they were actually pretty boring. Loud, but boring. John and John came on after a really long intro that I never heard before. They said the show had two parts; the first one: just the duo, and the second: the whole band. My brother managed to get a setlist for the first set, so here it is: Intro on DA88 COWTOWN PUPPET #3 MR. ME MANHATTAN (Flans said this was inspired by a some graffitti he saw on a wall that said, "I'll sink Manhattan." He thought it would be cool to write a song about it. It turned out, I'll sink Manhatten was a group. "And they were pissed.") Intro Horns SHOEHORN (with Velcro Horns, and Dan on gloken... you know) Harmonica 32 FOOTSTEPS MISS ME (I got Flansburg's cheat sheet for this. It also has some lyrics (in Flans' handwriting) to I'll Sink Manhattan) Hell Intro HIDE AWAY /HOTEL ANA NG (Played at the original speed. "When we first recorded this, we were really high on... coffee." They did this whole thing about being older and tired now, but that's not why it was slowed down. It was funny) HOPE /CAGE ANGEL NOTHING /POLKA Then they said they would take a five minute break, and that they'd be back in 20 minutes. By this point, Jordan Was feeling really sick. He had been pushed all over the place, and-- he was just really sick. He left. He went somewhere off to the side I think... he'll tell you I guess. (In case you couldn't tell, that's the sad part) I didn't get a setlist to the second set, so I'll give you what I remember. They opened with the kitten intro, came out and did Rythm Section Want Ad. It was the first time I saw this live, and-- Wow! After some other stuff, They did We're the Replacements, and it was sooo cool! When it started, Josh had the BIGGEST grin on his face! They played a lot of new(er) stuff, including The Guitar, The Statue Got Me High, Sexxy, and JKP (with presidential cannon, which the cannon guy messed up). They did Exquistite Dead Guy, and someone in the audience had a homemade puppet head (no pun). Flans' puppet and hers sang to each other and kissed-- it was very romantic. They ended with Spy, with I Am Not Your Broom in the improv part. Sorrowfully (is that a word?) there was no Don't Let's Start. Ah well... As they were leaving, Flans threw a Then: The Earlier Years DOUBLE CD into the crowd!!! I didn't get it. I did however get one of Flans' towels, with a very scary red liquid (of sorts) on it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stick around afterwards, so I have no idea as to who came out, etc. On a whole, it was-- an experience. Still in awe, Dan E. Boy P.S. They said They'd be back in April. A They concert on my Birthday? Let's hope (I am at least!!) ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:29:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222212908_-1641691191@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pearl, and more I just rented "Night of the Hunter" as well, and also wonder why they would put her face on the inside of a CD cover, let alone a t-shirt. Does anyone have any clues to this mystery? I didn't notice anything Giant in the movie regarding her, has anyone else? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:06:35 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: My 3rd, (partly sad) Irving experience Message-ID: > P.S. They said They'd be back in April. A They concert on my Birthday? > Let's hope (I am at least!!) > God damn it!!!!!! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!!!!!!!!!! Why the fuck do they decide to skip some places forever and then play others (even if it is where they live) over and over? Oh, so you might just see Them play three times in six months....oh, damn. Let's see, there are people on this list that have never seen Them play (including Kelly, who, unless he managed to go another show, was robbed at the one he tried to go to...sorry for bringing that up again, Kelly), and some that have not seen Them in years. No point to this post...just venting anger. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 22:50:35 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222225035_984664254@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My sad IP review Well, i wasnt going to write anything, but since Daniel,and maybe a couple others had mentioned me from THEIR point of view..... to start off, i had been sick since Tues. it ruined my whole week vacation from school. and i was praying id be fine for the concert. i wasnt. but i went anyway, there was no way id miss a show like this. me,my friend,and my other friend arrived there maybe around 4. soon Josh came, then Daniel. Then Cortney came, and told us her story about her ticket being stolen. soon we stood witness to her being put on Maby's guest list. we waited in line, i was still sick. soon Liz,Joel, and Adam came. Adam took pictures of each Listie, and everyone there was witness to me making a horrible sick face into the camera. right before they let us in, i was coughing and almost threw up... i ran in,and was in the first row! i managed to get a poster from my friend charles. My other friend (who will go unnamed) felt sick and left right away. Brian Dewan was great again,and Chainsaw Kittens were pretty boring. finally THEY came out, and I MIGHT BE GIANTS, TOO was the intro they used people! i seemed to be the only one who knew it. well, you saw the setlists posted. the first half,with just john,john,and a tape recorded drum machine WAS GREAT. i wasnt sick anymore, i was in heaven. i couldnt stop laughing, and i saw everyone around me was having a great time. During Puppet head, Linnell hopped with the accordion twice,and after the song,said something like "i still remember that hop". the whole "Ana NG/tired" joke was hilarious. "so, were not performing cause were TIRED, its just how its SOPPOSSED to be performed" there was A LOT of moshing to Ana ng. hey Boba, you were right behind me werent you? singing ana ng during Candy Butchers? well, i was the kid that threatened to throw up on everyone... anyway, the SAD part that left me extremely upset........ after the duo part of the show, they left for like 15 minutes. during the beginning of that time, for SOME REASON, the crowd was PUSHING me against the barrior. As you remember, i was sick,and squeezing my stomach like that was NOT a good idea. i pushed back, and screamed "IM SICK YOU ASSHOLES! IF YOU DONT STOP PUSHING IM GONNA VOMIT ON YOU ALL!" Boba gave a worried look. well, they had stopped pushing, but it was too late. i felt horrible, and extremely sick. then, i felt the vomit rise to my throat. i opened my mouth, and made that "vomit face". i knew i had to get outta there before i threw up. i gave my poster to my friend, for him to hold both of ours threw the show. i ran out of my great spot in front of the stage, and pushed through the crowd. i looked for my friend who had left earlier. he wasnt there. so through the rest of the show, i was towards the side, back area. standing,trying to find a SQUARE FOOT where people arent smoking. no luck. well, i stayed there till the end of the show. i was thrilled to hear Rythem section want ad, and Were The Replacements, but coulnt really express it. i was alone, and had no energy. later i saw Joel and Erin had escaped from the front. when the show ended, i sadly walked out of the concert room. i met my friend who had left before the show. he said he went into this backstage room, where he threw up 3 times. he watched the show on a monitor, then he met and talked to JOHN LINNELL AND JOHN FLANSBURGH. he got there autographs. he told me his dad got me and my friends coats, so after getting water i went oustside to wait. i was freezong for 10 minutes. i met Daniel, who had told me he got flansys towel. i finally got my jacket, and met up with my other friend Charles, who i had given my poster to. well to top off the night, he had RUINED my poster. it was all crumpled and bent,and dirty...he was trying to convince me it was fine. the FUNNY thing was, HIS WAS IN PERFECT CONDITION. i asked him if we could trade. i thought he would say YES, since he is not a tmbg fan, (he only has FACTORY showroom) but he said NO. i threw out my poster, and im very mad at him still. i didnt even stay after the show. whats the point i thought. so im the only one that left home with nothing. the end. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 20:17:41 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970222211139.2407a24e@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-52 >Some people said ><<<GIRLS. ENGLAND CALLING WE ARE VERY, VERY SORRY BUT THEY GOT PAST > QUARANTINE.>>>> > > <> > >no, no! no apology needed for bush > >I think they're rather good! >I got their new album for Christmas and I LOVE it!!! > >TMB(do)G >or Blah Blah... I'm to tired of typing to type my .sig... >"Blah Blah" -Blah, Blah Bush don't need an apology...they just need to be wiped off the face of the planet, or failing that, the radio. ___________________________________________ Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com Happiness will make you wonder, "Will I feel okay?" It scares the disenchanted far away Billy Corgan I said that God undoubtedly loves kittens, but not with little Technicolor bootees on their paws. He leaves that creative touch to script writers. J.D. Salinger All of your struggles beneath your disguise cling to the reasons that hold you alive till we're safe from the wounds of desire and pain you must rise from the mounds of desire and change. Billy Corgan _____________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Charlesk8@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 23:22:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970222232240_106183437@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ip show's Okay waiting for the show to start was alright cause there was free food skating and good weather but the actual show kinda sucked cause both of my friends jordan and mike were both sick and they both left the front casue they were sick and well chainsaw kittens kinda sucked i htought they were gonna be good really good but i was very wrong and the crowd during tmbg sucked cause i think half way through the duo the crowd got kinda pushy then got really pushy and smashed me and my friend jordan into the barricade after that during the break jordan left the front. It kinda sucked and during the whole show i was pushed kicked and smashed all over they pace i could hardly enjoy myself. Well the best show was the first one in my opinion bye! charles(not really a big tmbg fan) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 22:57:47 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: survey blues Message-ID: Hey all-- Well, I've calmed down after my last post and have been working on the surveys for the past two hours. Lucky me has only gotten through only about a quarter of them. So what I'm saying is: best case scenario, the web page with the demographics (pardon if that's the wrong word) of the list will be up next weekend. I'm working on it folks, really I am. This is a bigger undertaking than I thought. Oh, and one other thing. I have dropped the "3 favorite movies" part of the survey, due to the fact that nobody here seems to like the same movies. If anyone really wants that on the page too, let me know, and I'll do it seperately. Have a nice day. And if you haven't filled the survey out yet, e-mail me and I will send it to you. See y'all around. bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html ---concert tape page in the CD player in the computer: Talking Heads--Sand in the Vaseline CD 1 ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 00:45:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223004545_-1172810897@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TWO-TWENTY-ONE irving plaza palace of wonder Oh yeah-- I forgot about this (among other things) in my review. Jen only touched on it, so... At the end of Spy, where Linnell becomes conducter, Flans did it!! It was really cool-- He had the audience doing a lot more stuff than Linnell has recently. Also, during Hide Away Folk Family, Flans had the crowd scream at the top of their (our) lungs at the horoscope part!!! There's probably more stuff i forgot to mention (including one asshole who kept crowd surfing. He came by at least ten times!! I got kicked in the head a couple of times). Hoo ha ha (?), Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702230556.AA09522@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Jordan's IP review Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 00:56:17 -0500 (EST) Hi all, I feel really bad for Jordan, being sick and having to leave and all. I sorta know how you feel, I was very tired and had driven all day to get there and while up front I was pushing ppl back constantly and my chest and stomach were being smooshed into the wall, it hurt I staggered out of the club after that. About those pictures, I know Adam was taking em and Alex took some I think, are these going to be scanned in perhaps? I still haven't seen the pic of Liz and me, kaylum took from DC 8-(. I heard the I Might Be Giants, Too, but I could not figure out who the heck was singing that? Anyone know? It surely wasn't Flans or Linnell. Um and about Boba, too bad you couldn't pick up the sampler you won since you put the name Boba Fett in there ;) I liked Uncle Owen and Lando Calrissian too, I wonder who put those names in? ;) Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 00:59:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223005932_820287482@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? I think the Factory Showroom box set was a part of the whole Card thing. Someone said if you lift up the floor of the box, you get a special card (or something like that). As far as I know it's a joke. The box from the info club is two pages when cut and folded right form a nice little lyrics box (since there was no lyrics sheet in FS). I made the box, with reinforced sides cut from comic backing boards! Anyone else put it together? ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:59:07 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223025907_-1975793268@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Slightly late Irving Plaza. Hello, all. For those who care, no, I haven't died. My car's dead, but I live on. And my Senior Thesis film is "in the can," as the kids say. I had a wonderful time at the show last night. Gee, I heart those Giants. Not only did they play my favorite song, "Puppet Head," but Flans sang "New York City" with the CORRECT lyrics. (I knew Lisa, Lisa, and Robynn would set him straight on the King King issue!) Though I've never considered myself to be as important as those slackers at Elektra, my friends and I watched the show from the VIP section of the balcony, which afforded us table service, a great view, and plenty of room for breathing and insane dancing. The crowd was a bit overzealous at times, and I did see that same guy travel on the hands, shoulders, and heads of the crowd at least six times. I could probably identify him in a police line-up if anyone would like to prosecute. I was impressed with the conga activity... Incidentally, Michael, the really cool fellow who held down the t-shirt fort during and after the TMBG set, told me that the floor shook during the entire TMBG set. It is now a proven fact, pogoing TMBG fans can, in fact, move a building. And, finally, I will throw a few cents with Leo and highly recommend "Then." As I'm writing this, "Greek #3" is on my CD player, 'crappy' pronounciation and all. I hope to be able to sing along to the 'crappy' pronounciation someday. Greetings to all who I saw in the line. (I was the tall girl with short dark blonde/brown bobbed hair wearing black... wearing a floor length skirt, which I guess some would consider strange concert attire.) I'll see you all in April... Maybe with the same haircolor, maybe not. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-53 *****************************