Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-54 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 54 Saturday, 4 January 1997 Today's Topics: Re: non-TMBG: forgiveness TMBG: Date of Digest TMBG: Re: Upcoming Concerts/Liverpool TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Re: TMBG: Re: Upcoming Concerts/Liverpool TMBG: IP show tapes?!! TMBG: Teeth Marks Re: TMBG: FS Lyric Box TMBG: Non-tmbg, but Skull related-Howard Stern and the Dust Brothers TMBG: IP..a little late... Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? TMBG: AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs TMBG: Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: IP..a little late... Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs TMBG: HEY ALL YOU UK PEOPLE - FILM TONIGHT!! TMBG: Hello Club TMBG: They and Phones TMBG: refunds TMBG: Unreleased songs????? Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) TMBG: Hey, Johns, Get Over Here Already! Re: TMBG: They and Phones Re: TMBG: They and Phones TMBG: Supposedly Upcoming Liverpool Concert TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? TMBG: They and Phones TMBG: TMBG "World" referances/AKAs TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... TMBG: not really anything special... TMBG: Hello again TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) TMBG: Heads Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:25:43 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: non-TMBG: forgiveness Message-ID: Egad a base tone... _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Nathan Todd wrote: > >You are not yet forgiven. Send something good to compensate, and then, maybe > >you'll be forgiven. > > Wait just a second! Have we forgiven them for Oasis yet?? I think they owe > us two. > > <> > > Oh, make that 3...or maybe bush is bad enough to make it 4... Hey, hang on a sec, you've given us Michael Jackson, 3T, Bon Jovi, a variety of AOR 'stars' plus many other numerous too unoriginal to mention. And I LIKE the Spice Girls. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702231114.AA13434@comet.msd.measurex.com> Subject: TMBG: Date of Digest Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 6:14:43 EDT From: John Pletikapich Anyone know why the digest for the last 3 days has been sent to me as from Jan 1, 2, & 3? Leo? No big deal, just wondering. -- John ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3310AB4D.5DC3@netcomuk.co.uk> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:40:45 -0800 From: Velouria Subject: TMBG: Re: Upcoming Concerts/Liverpool > Matt James wrote: > -- > upcoming concerts: > Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) > Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 > James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 > TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 What's the story with the upcoming concert in Liverpool, England on the 27th of March? As far as everybody knew, on 27/3 They're playing in Perth, Australia. Did the date change? Are They coming to England in March? Where did you find out? Please inform, I *must* know!! Jo ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 07:16:46 -0600 Message-ID: <19970223131645155.AAA322@ppp189.baraboo.com> I was at a crappy music store (the only one within an hour of my house) in a mall and found a huge book (about 7,000 pages, maybe 8)showing every artist and all their released stuff. It listed all their albums/singles through JH and listed the best of mountain stage live and the carmen sandiago thing (all previously mentioned) but there was one other thing listed i dont think i ever saw on the list, it was like the MTV's 120 minutes forget the mainstream collection or something like that. Anyone know what of their is on this? -Wyatt "been beehind on mail and has 40 left to read" Leffel- no, Glodell ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:35:06 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Upcoming Concerts/Liverpool Message-ID: Egad a base tone... If you notice next to the venue is the word James, that is the band that's playing Liverpool, UK dates have STILL to be announced, sods are just keeping us hanging on for ever, building up expectations and stuff. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: IP show tapes?!! Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 07:56:46 -0600 Message-ID: <19970223135645907.AAA118@ppp189.baraboo.com> I have finally finfished reading all the weekend's mail (well, friday and saturday) and I WANT A TAPE OF THE IP SHOW!!!!! Nobody mentioned making a tape of it, did anyone??? I have nothing i could trade, because i have been to only one concert and my dad convinced me that there would probably be security. So i would be willing to send a tape / SASE if someone would be willing to copy it? PLEASE? -Wyatt "Pleading" Glodell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3310558E.318A@trib.infi.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:34:54 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Teeth Marks Matthew James Wrote: > Also, Spy, with the I Am Not Your Broom insert in the middle was great. > Someone I saw (maybe Alex?) got the Flans music sheet of the lyrics to > IANYB complete with teeth marks! Hehe, that woulda been me :) ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970222132354.346f686a@mail.one.net> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:23:54 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: FS Lyric Box > The box from the info club is two pages when cut and folded right form a nice > little lyrics box (since there was no lyrics sheet in FS). I made the box, > with reinforced sides cut from comic backing boards! Anyone else put it > together? > ~Dan E. Boy I made the box, stuffed it with wadded up newspaper and gave it to my darling dear, as I do not have Factory Showroom. I really don't have anything now that I think about it, but she is quickly turning me into a They Mutant. -Goat Boy ============= In my CD player right now: THEN: The Earlier Years Promo, Laurie Anderson's Big Science, and Hunters: The World of Predators and Prey - Music From The Discovery Channel TV Series. How's that for variety? ============= ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:29:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223112905_718534053@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg, but Skull related-Howard Stern and the Dust Brothers In the Back to Skull ep there are 2 versions of the Snail Shell song, the original and the Dust Brothers version. In the new Howard Stern Movie "Private Parts" Stern performs a song with the Dust Brothers. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:37:37 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: IP..a little late... Message-ID: Ok...OK...so everybody has already posted about it, but when I see my name in like 5 posts I feel I must post too...I will try not to repeat stuff... I got there at 4...sat around with Jordan and Charles and Jordan's friend Mike for a while...Dan showed up fairly soon after...as did Cortney... it was actually really cool waiting outside...Mike and his dad got us pizza and it was just a nice atmosphere...Jordan as you all know by now was feeling pretty sick but he was hanging in there at this point...ahh.. and Joel also showed up a little later...listies were everywhere Lots has already been said about the show...there are a lot of highlights :) I am glad that Jordan felt OK for the first half cause that was definitely the biggest highlight for me...welll....let's see...after the show I waited around with Cortney and a few other people...one of which I realize is Alex and I realize I didn't really meet him...which kind of sucks...and I just want to say...the Johns are the sneakiest guys alive...while we were all huddled around Graham getting his autograph...Linnell slipped out the door pretty much unnoticed...I just saw his back as he walked into a cab, and then a little later on Flans slipped out of the bar next door somehow...and didn't say anything to us either... Well...a roadie came out after that and gave me a copy of both halves of the setlist...so that was pretty cool...I think the whole set has been posted but if anybody is curious about anything I have it. I guess I really don't have much interesting to say...It was a great show and ohhhh, about the guy who crowd surfed over us about 10 times...I was so close to just punching him in the face one of those times...why didn't security just kick him out???? Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.16.19970223095535.444f5578@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:55:38 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? At 07:16 23/02/97 -0600, you wrote: >every artist and all their released stuff. It listed all their >albums/singles through JH and listed the best of mountain stage live and the >carmen sandiago thing (all previously mentioned) but there was one other ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Afraid I missed that one. What's the deal with it? >thing listed i dont think i ever saw on the list, it was like the MTV's 120 >minutes forget the mainstream collection or something like that. Anyone know >what of their is on this? It's just got Ana Ng on it. Nothing special. Definitely not worth buying the album, the rest of the stuff sucks. Or perhaps its just by comparison. -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ -- ** Please note URL change ** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 17:07:04 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK I can only got on the computer like once every few days now. I can't even come close to reading any of mail. Did anyone care? No? OK. I finally got WDTSS. i realize most people have listened to their copies approximatly twenty thousand million times (tee-hee) but i still feel the need to remark on it (no, i've never seen a psychiatrist so STOP THINKING THAT) It is great! WDTSS is great, Jessica is great, Whirlpool is great , and Spy is great! (even though i already had John Henry). The single is just really really really really GREAT!!!!! Ryan the .sigless wonder ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970223121156.00709108@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:11:56 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs Hey, someone with a CD burner: I think someone should find the best IP Tape (of everyone who taped it) and make a CD. I would gladly pay up to $20 for that, and I believe the blank CDs are ~$10 (?). I know a copuple other people who would pay for that too, and any of the IP shows would be great for a CD recording. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970223121445.0069d62c@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:14:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza If I lived in New York, I'd have a great story to tell about everyone I met at the concert and what a great time I had, but I don't live in NY. So I don't. See my other post. Oh, and if that isn't possible, I wanna get a tape of an IP show. Wasting more space.... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:25:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223122507_1548506520@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: IP..a little late... About the crowd surfer guy, Josh said: >Why didn't security just kick him out? They kept telling him not to do it but... Gotcha all in check (woo ha!), Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970223172417.006710d8@mail.awod.com> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:24:17 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? At 09:55 AM 2/23/97 -0700, you wrote: >>every artist and all their released stuff. It listed all their >>albums/singles through JH and listed the best of mountain stage live and the >>carmen sandiago thing (all previously mentioned) but there was one other > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >Afraid I missed that one. What's the deal with it? It has 'Why Does The Sun Shine?' on it...the slow version, I'm guessing. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:39:23 -0600 Message-ID: <19970223173922223.AAA301@ppp169.baraboo.com> >Hey, someone with a CD burner: I think someone should find the best IP Tape >(of everyone who taped it) and make a CD. I would gladly pay up to $20 for >that, and I believe the blank CDs are ~$10 (?). I know a copuple other >people who would pay for that too, and any of the IP shows would be great >for a CD recording. >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org > GREAT IDEA! anyone willing to do it? this sounds like one of the best shows they're going to do for a LOOONNNNGGGGG time....i'd definately pay 20 bucks for a cd of it! -Wyatt, who just posted an annoying agreeing post, sorry ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:52:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223125203_884045583@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs In a message dated 97-02-23 12:50:17 EST, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: << GREAT IDEA! anyone willing to do it? this sounds like one of the best shows they're going to do for a LOOONNNNGGGGG time....i'd definately pay 20 bucks for a cd of it! -Wyatt, who just posted an annoying agreeing post, sorry >> What IP shows would this include? ALl of them? One of them?? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:23:04 -0500 From: David Vile Subject: TMBG: HEY ALL YOU UK PEOPLE - FILM TONIGHT!! Message-ID: <199702231323_MC2-119C-4375@compuserve.com> Hey everyone, They Might Be Giants, as in the film in which the guy thinks he's surlock homles etc, you know the one I mean, anyway it's on tonight at 12:20am on BBC1. Set those videorecorders guys, or hey,lets stay up all night! Jon Vile ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:00:41 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Hello Club Message-ID: Hey, I ordered from the Hello Club many months ago...nothing happened. I got in touch with Operator Bob via the email address...he said they were really behind but that they would get to it. But nothing has happened...apparantly the check was cashed and I am desperate to find out what is up...any ideas? Josh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:37:55 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: TMBG: They and Phones Message-id: Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? Spydiir ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970223145446.00698604@mail.binghamton.edu> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:54:48 -0500 From: Richard Chung Subject: TMBG: refunds Has anyone else tried to order items via mail, find that they have no more of a certain item (TMBG keychain), request a refund, and 4 monthes later find that you have still not recieved your $39 back yet? What is up over there? They ask that you send everything back withing 30 days because it takes them years to get it done? I haven't even heard anything from them yet. Sorry for bitching. rich ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:55:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223145545_-2109748819@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Unreleased songs????? Does anybody know any web sites where you can download unreleased TMBG songs? TmbgManiac@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 15:06 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) >I realized last night at IP that Flans wears his watch upside down (the 6 >facing away from him when hands are at side) Interesting little tidbit, I >think. I sometimes wear mine upside down, but that's by accident, and then everyone laughs at me. Say, I'm just wondering, does Flans wear his watch on his right arm? Being left-handed, I always have, and I was just wondering if he did, too. How about Linnell? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:21:20 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Hey, Johns, Get Over Here Already! Ack! From the sounds of it, the TMBG concerts of late, featuring the earlier material and the tape machine, are the shows to see. So I go to look at the tour dates, and I see their only California stop is in Palo Alto, and then They're across the ocean! AAGH! The reports of They playing their classics in concert, which I have never had the privelege of witnessing, and the fact that They won't be swinging by southern California are more than I can bear. Well, then I'll be happy for those of you who do get to see the shows. Reading the reviews, I will be living vicariously through you people for the next few months or so. I can only hope They add some tour dates for locations nearer to me in the future. C'mon, Johns, L.A. may be a disaster area in real life and the movies, but it's really not as bad as it seems... we've got great weather! Yeah! Bye for now, *snif snif* ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:25:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223152509_-2109747024@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: They and Phones In a message dated 97-02-23 14:39:31 EST, jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu (sPyDiiR) writes: << Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? Spydiir >> Also, New York City begins with a phone comment. "You called me last night on the telephone". I don't think it means anything, just it is a common appliance and utility. It is like they also write often about beaches (Birdhouse in your Soul, Men & Women, Metal Detector,...) Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 14 and 20 days (Martian Years) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702232036.OAA06435@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: They and Phones Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:31:01 -0600 > Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs > involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and > also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? > A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? > Spydiir > It could possibly be from a bad experience They had with the old Cap'N Crunch promotion a few years back. Perhaps all their Glow In The Dark Treasure Maps were all non-winners, Like MINE! DAMN YOU CAP'N! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! Mike "I'm not making anything up" Leffel ***Shameless Plug**** Check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html For AKA'S!! Coming Next Week (roughly March 3rd, anyway) THE SCANNED IN AKA'S! Featuring HAND DRAWN MIKE LEFFEL TMBG CARDS!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33111BE2.4FFD@netcomuk.co.uk> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:41:06 -0800 From: Velouria Subject: TMBG: Supposedly Upcoming Liverpool Concert >>If you'd look a little more carefully..... it isnt a TMBG concert I'm waiting for those UK dates so anxiously, it seems I'm overlooking basic perceptual skills. Thank you guys for pointing me out it was just a false alarm. Wishful thinking... and still expecting I guess! Jo ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702232056.AA09888@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:56:09 -0500 (EST) > I was at a crappy music store (the only one within an hour of my > house) in a mall and found a huge book (about 7,000 pages, maybe 8)showing > every artist and all their released stuff. It listed all their > albums/singles through JH and listed the best of mountain stage live and the > carmen sandiago thing (all previously mentioned) but there was one other > thing listed i dont think i ever saw on the list, it was like the MTV's 120 > minutes forget the mainstream collection or something like that. Anyone know > what of their is on this? > Yes, I think my friend ahs this. If it's the same thing all it has on it is Ana Ng (it has been a while, I can ask him and find out for sure). Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702232105.AA09900@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:05:00 -0500 (EST) > >>every artist and all their released stuff. It listed all their > >>albums/singles through JH and listed the best of mountain stage live and the > >>carmen sandiago thing (all previously mentioned) but there was one other > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > >Afraid I missed that one. What's the deal with it? > > It has 'Why Does The Sun Shine?' on it...the slow version, I'm guessing. It also has 'Cherry in your Tree' by XTC on it, which they played on the local radio station a few years ago, WHFS. It's kind of a kiddie album ;) Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702232108.AA09908@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: They and Phones Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:08:05 -0500 (EST) > Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs > involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and > also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? > A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? > Spydiir > Two more phone songs. Ana Ng video has them sitting at desks and they pick up phones and such. Also, in I'll Sink Manhattan, they have that phone part in the beginning, which, if you are not paying close attention (this happened to my dad when he strolled into my room) will make you think *your* phone is ringing. hehehe Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D40E94.20D1@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 13:16:04 -0800 From: Kathleen Faulconer Subject: TMBG: TMBG "World" referances/AKAs Hi Everyone! Were back from a *forced* vacation from computers! Nice to see that you guys are all still here! I have a million messages to go through! Maybe someone with too much time on their hands (I KNOW your out there!) will count up how many songs They refer to "the world" in!?!? I know its in a LOT of songs cause I love the way Linnell says it! Like in We've Got A Whooorld That Swings"! I also think that there are a lot of referances to doors and windows! They have a lot of fenistrated (sp?) lyrics! Love the cards! Not to sound like a Mom here but, do you kiddies know how much damage you are doing to the cards values "fingering" them all day like this? My sister has a mix breed dog that is so hansome we think he should be his own breed. So we call him a "rare German Flansburgher" He chases his tail all day and will grab it and spin around. We want to do a card with the "rare German Flansburgher displaying the 'snake head eating the head on the opposite side' trait"! Perhaps it belongs in the box set---"TMBG- The most popular band that you've never heard of"? Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:32:11 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199702232132.QAA07460@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... > I sometimes wear mine upside down, but that's by accident, and >then everyone laughs at me. Say, I'm just wondering, does Flans wear his >watch on his right arm? Being left-handed, I always have, and I was just >wondering if he did, too. How about Linnell? Yes! Another left-handed person is on the list...it's great to know I'm not totally alone... :> My watch is a little large, so it tends to flip over a lot. >It could possibly be from a bad experience They had with the old >Cap'N Crunch promotion a few years back. Perhaps all their >Glow In The Dark Treasure Maps were all non-winners, Like >MINE! > >DAMN YOU CAP'N! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! Now *this* brings back memories. :> I remember when I was younger and I bugged my mom to get Peanut Butter Crunch because it was the only one in the Crunch family to have one of those maps...I lost, of course, and since I hate Peanut Butter Crunch, my breakfasts were pretty miserable for a week or so. Anyway... -Adam Tyner /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:38:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223163837_1980393654@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: not really anything special... > I really should be doing my English project, which is due in >2 days and I haven't started yet, but instead I'm having my >breakfast of Doritos and Surge (does a body good) and reading >email. So here goes What a model student.:) Actually, I shouldn't talk, I'm sitting here having woken up at noon with my breakfast of coffee , and reading mail -- should actually be starting the homework I had for the past week's vacation.. :) >BTW, when I saw Linnellgirl's Linny in Drag... I never even >*thought* about homosexuality. I kept seeing that episode of >NewsRadio in my head where whats his face is in the dress! Dave Foley, hee hee.. :) "Jealous...!" >(since there was no lyrics sheet in FS). I made the box, with >reinforced sides cut from comic backing boards! Anyone else >put it together? Oui. It's on my clock radio. Next to my cutout of the Johns. :) They were on my revolving cd rack, but they kept getting knocked over. :P sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org MSTie# 77216 ~ TMBGer #45127 http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3310D951.1AD0@mail.netnitco.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:57:05 -0800 From: The Cowans Subject: TMBG: Hello again Well, I've been off the list for a few months but now I'm back and curious as to if anything interesting has happened. Last I heard the idea of shirts was uggested, people volunteered to make them, then my server went throught some weird change and I couldn't get mail, tried to re-subcribe a few times, didn't work, but very happily I'm now back. So what's new? Oh, interest factor, in my government class I'm doing a report on James K. Polk:) Blink ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 18:02:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223180201_306764081@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) Another common theme in TMBG songs is decapitation! Really! Here are some of the songs I thought of regarding missing heads: -Till My Head Falls Off -When Tornadoes Take Over the World ("and your friends will be swirling, right above your disembodied head...") -Mrs. Train ("I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head") -Dangit! I know there's more... help me out, people? These are all I could think of at the time... There's plenty more where that came from. -Kamesennin (Geoff) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32D42BF0.5E59@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 15:21:20 -0800 From: Kathleen Faulconer Subject: TMBG: Heads Oh yeah, Heads, skulls, bodies, death, etc....a common theme. Off the top of my disembodied head, here is a couple of my favorites with severed heads! Turn Around! A classic happy head song! Hall of Heads, that could fit in somewhere! Two on one album! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 17:30:06 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation? Message-ID: > >thing listed i dont think i ever saw on the list, it was like the MTV's 120 > >minutes forget the mainstream collection or something like that. Anyone know > >what of their is on this? > > It's just got Ana Ng on it. Nothing special. Definitely not worth buying > the album, the rest of the stuff sucks. Or perhaps its just by comparison. > I beg to differ on that one. Admittedly, it does have the Red Hot Chili Peppers on it, who IMHO suck balls, but the rest of the CD is good, with "Eye of Fatima pt. 1" by Camper Van Beethoven, "Dear God" by XTC, along with tracks by Modern English, Robyn Hitchcock, Soul Asylum (before they became mainstream and were still good), etc., etc. Both volumes of this compilation (the second has REM, Public Image Ltd., Joy Division, Violent Femmes, etc.) are actually very good, and you will probably be able to find them in the discount section of your local record store. If nothing else, it will give you a chance to hear some bands that I'm sure you've never heard before. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 17:37:53 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Message-ID: > > I sometimes wear mine upside down, but that's by accident, and > >then everyone laughs at me. Say, I'm just wondering, does Flans wear his > >watch on his right arm? Being left-handed, I always have, and I was just > >wondering if he did, too. How about Linnell? > > Yes! Another left-handed person is on the list...it's great to know I'm not > totally alone... :> My watch is a little large, so it tends to flip over > a lot. > Just letting y'all know...I too am left-handed. The only thing is, I don't have a wristwatch. Instead, I have a pocketwatch. So I suppose it's a moot point and I should just shut the hell up. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-54 *****************************