Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-55 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 55 Monday, 24 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: An Incredible IP Experience! (long) TMBG: An Incredible IP Experience! (long) Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) TMBG: Weep Day .wav Re: TMBG: They and Phones TMBG: Tapes of the IP shows Re: TMBG: They and Phones TMBG: Chatnet #tmbg Re: TMBG: TMBG+Quake= Who knows?? Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:57:06 -0500 Message-Id: <9702240157.AA07021@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: An Incredible IP Experience! (long) I am finally getting a chance to share my IP (2/21), which was a TMBG fan's dream night! I will start from the beginning. We (my cousin and myself) my house on time and we're hitting no traffic on Rt. 78 and the NJ turnpike. We would be early, or so I thought until we hit the Holland Tunnel (a 45 minute delay)! Aaaauuuurrrrggggghh! After getting through the tunnel, we then had to face the NYC Friday eve gridlock in several locations. After fighting our way through the traffic we arrived at a parking garage close to the Irving Plaza. I just wanted to park and get out of the car. As we waited for the attendant to take our car I looked up and saw John F. coming out of the garage in his Lincoln. I figured I would just say "Hi". The conversation went something like this: Me: "Hi John! How is it going?" JF: "Good." Me: "Have a good show tonight." JF: "Thanks." He was about 5 feet in front of me and proceeded to pull-next to my window. Me: "On your way past, check out the (TMBG) bumper sticker". I figured it might be nice for him to see that they had "some diehard" fans still driving around. He seemed pre-occupied so I was trying to keep it brief. I don't like to bother people that way no matter how excited I am to see them. JF pulled past my car, stopped, and looked at the bumper sticker. He then (to my surprise) backed-up and said JF: "Here I have something for you." and he reached down for something. I got out of my car because we were too far apart. I was expecting a sticker or something like that. He proceeded to hand me a full copy of the double CD "THEN: The Early Years"! I knew right away what it was. I was shocked! JF: "This just came out today (or something like that)." Me: "Thank you! Thank you very much!" JF: "Now you'll have to buy something else." Me: "I will, but I own most everything." JF: "Oh well, I'll see ya later." (or something like that) And he drove off. I was still in shock. My cousin couldn't believe I had recognized him. But he hasn't seem too many pictures of John F, I (fortunatly) had been lucky enough to see "enough" of them. We handed off the keys to the attendant and went towards IP and the line. I was "freaking out" by what had just transpired! Nothing could go wrong now! We ended up 30-40 people back and waited. I didn't see anyone with any "signs" (name tags, disks, etc.) from the list. They started letting people in about 8pm and in about 5 minutes we were inside. We "ran" to the balcony and got two of the last stools. We had great SEATS! This was getting eerie (like some dreams people have bee having on the list) Next,I mistakingly asked a guy next to us if he was handing out TMBG posters (I thought he had several in his hand - it was only one) His friends turned to see what I was asking and the woman said "Here I have an extra one"! This was getting too good to be true. After a beer or two. Brian Dewan came out and he was great! I will pick up his CD. The Chainsaw Kittens were better than I expected. But now it was time for THEM. The first half was great. It gave tremendous insight into how their early songs were written and performed. It was incredible! After the intermission (during which my cousin said "that was great but how can it get any better?") Well when they opened the second half of the show with Rythem Section Want Ad and We're the Replacements I knew it was getting better! The second half was great! A plus for me is when they did IANYB during Spy. The encores were great (it was late - 1am). We hung around for a few minutes (no setlists or a chance to meet the band). I did see Joe Jackson (GM's former "boss" - one of my all time favorite musicians). I said "Hi". He said "Hi" back and kept walking, he seemed sort of in a daze (shocked by what a great show it was?). I was in heaven. I just "needed" a setlist to remember all the great songs but it was the only "disappointment" of the night. I know several people have posted the first half off the show but could anyone post the entire setlist? I for one would appreciate it. Also did anyone tape the show? I would love to get a copy (for cost plus a little extra for your trouble). Please Email me privately if you would be willing to make a copy. TIA. Erik J. Chuss echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com BTW, I will post a FULL review of the new double CD monday or tuesday. After one listen, I am extremely pleased! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:57:07 -0500 Message-Id: <9702240157.AA07018@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: An Incredible IP Experience! (long) I am finally getting a chance to share my IP (2/21), which was a TMBG fan's dream night! I will start from the beginning. We (my cousin and myself) my house on time and we're hitting no traffic on Rt. 78 and the NJ turnpike. We would be early, or so I thought until we hit the Holland Tunnel (a 45 minute delay)! Aaaauuuurrrrggggghh! After getting through the tunnel, we then had to face the NYC Friday eve gridlock in several locations. After fighting our way through the traffic we arrived at a parking garage close to the Irving Plaza. I just wanted to park and get out of the car. As we waited for the attendant to take our car I looked up and saw John F. coming out of the garage in his Lincoln. I figured I would just say "Hi". The conversation went something like this: Me: "Hi John! How is it going?" JF: "Good." Me: "Have a good show tonight." JF: "Thanks." He was about 5 feet in front of me and proceeded to pull-next to my window. Me: "On your way past, check out the (TMBG) bumper sticker". I figured it might be nice for him to see that they had "some diehard" fans still driving around. He seemed pre-occupied so I was trying to keep it brief. I don't like to bother people that way no matter how excited I am to see them. JF pulled past my car, stopped, and looked at the bumper sticker. He then (to my surprise) backed-up and said JF: "Here I have something for you." and he reached down for something. I got out of my car because we were too far apart. I was expecting a sticker or something like that. He proceeded to hand me a full copy of the double CD "THEN: The Early Years"! I knew right away what it was. I was shocked! JF: "This just came out today (or something like that)." Me: "Thank you! Thank you very much!" JF: "Now you'll have to buy something else." Me: "I will, but I own most everything." JF: "Oh well, I'll see ya later." (or something like that) And he drove off. I was still in shock. My cousin couldn't believe I had recognized him. But he hasn't seem too many pictures of John F, I (fortunatly) had been lucky enough to see "enough" of them. We handed off the keys to the attendant and went towards IP and the line. I was "freaking out" by what had just transpired! Nothing could go wrong now! We ended up 30-40 people back and waited. I didn't see anyone with any "signs" (name tags, disks, etc.) from the list. They started letting people in about 8pm and in about 5 minutes we were inside. We "ran" to the balcony and got two of the last stools. We had great SEATS! This was getting eerie (like some dreams people have bee having on the list) Next,I mistakingly asked a guy next to us if he was handing out TMBG posters (I thought he had several in his hand - it was only one) His friends turned to see what I was asking and the woman said "Here I have an extra one"! This was getting too good to be true. After a beer or two. Brian Dewan came out and he was great! I will pick up his CD. The Chainsaw Kittens were better than I expected. But now it was time for THEM. The first half was great. It gave tremendous insight into how their early songs were written and performed. It was incredible! After the intermission (during which my cousin said "that was great but how can it get any better?") Well when they opened the second half of the show with Rythem Section Want Ad and We're the Replacements I knew it was getting better! The second half was great! A plus for me is when they did IANYB during Spy. The encores were great (it was late - 1am). We hung around for a few minutes (no setlists or a chance to meet the band). I did see Joe Jackson (GM's former "boss" - one of my all time favorite musicians). I said "Hi". He said "Hi" back and kept walking, he seemed sort of in a daze (shocked by what a great show it was?). I was in heaven. I just "needed" a setlist to remember all the great songs but it was the only "disappointment" of the night. I know several people have posted the first half off the show but could anyone post the entire setlist? I for one would appreciate it. Also did anyone tape the show? I would love to get a copy (for cost plus a little extra for your trouble). Please Email me privately if you would be willing to make a copy. TIA. Erik J. Chuss echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com BTW, I will post a FULL review of the new double CD monday or tuesday. After one listen, I am extremely pleased! ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:33:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970223223328_-1708561640@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Then (and CD's in general) Flans wears his watch on his right hand. I don't know about Linnell, but I would guess he wears it on the left. ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:22:28 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) Message-id: Don't forget "Hall of Heads". I suppose "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" mentions a head, though it is caving in and not falling off. Spydiir ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* On Sun, 23 Feb 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > Another common theme in TMBG songs is decapitation! Really! Here are some > of the songs I thought of regarding missing heads: > > -Till My Head Falls Off > -When Tornadoes Take Over the World ("and your friends will be swirling, > right above your disembodied head...") > -Mrs. Train ("I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head") > -Dangit! I know there's more... help me out, people? These are all I could > think of at the time... > > There's plenty more where that came from. > > -Kamesennin (Geoff) > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:52:30 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Weep Day .wav Message-ID: A .wav of the song Weep Day off of my Then: sampler is now up on my page. I didn't make it great quality in order to conserve space, but I think it sounds really cool...check it out Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html The EFnet #TMBG Home Page ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 18:53:49 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: They and Phones Message-id: On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs > > involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and > > also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? > > A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? > > Spydiir > > > Two more phone songs. Ana Ng video has them sitting at desks and they > pick up phones and such. > Also, in I'll Sink Manhattan, they have that phone part in the > beginning, which, if you are not paying close attention (this happened > to my dad when he strolled into my room) will make you think *your* > phone is ringing. hehehe > Matt > > -- "Piece of Dirt" and "I've got a Match" also briefly mention phones. I know they are a common appliance, but I can't think of any other band that mentions them as much. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702232122.QAA223236@acs-mail.bu.edu> From: "Wally Gobetz" Subject: TMBG: Tapes of the IP shows Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:21:00 -0500 Hey everyone. I posted last week and I'll repost again now. I was really upset that I coulnd't get home to see the IP shows, but my exam schedule up at school didn't allow for it. If anyone has "good" tapes of the shows, I would love to get a copy (just to see what i missed). I don't have much to return, but I'd love it if some kind, benevolent soul would help me out. Please contact me privately. Thanks! Wally Gobetz wallyg@bu.edu ========================================================================= caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 20:22 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: They and Phones Then there's "I've Got A Match": "A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33110FD8.3495@toothfairy.com> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:49:44 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: Chatnet #tmbg I am orgainizing a #TMBG channel to go on the Chatnet IRC network. In order to get the channel registered, I need a bunch of e-mail adresses for references. Would anyone out there be nice enough to let me use them as a reference? -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:08:43 -0500 (EST) From: "What cows, where?" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG+Quake= Who knows?? Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Dan Studnicky wrote: > Okay, someone just wrote me about They Might Be Giants and id's game Quake. I don't know if they are on the list, but here are a few of their suggestions: > > -Have the Super Nailgun shoot sapphire colored bullets! > -Give a certain kind of enemy a chess piece for a face! > -Change the Axe weapon into Flans' guitar, being held by the neck! > -When you enter an outdoor area, have it say "Welcome to the Jungle [gym > or Jim?]" (Okay, that one is stretching it a bit...) > -Make the grunts dance like in the Ana Ng video (wow, won't that be > easy...) > > These suggestions were sent to me by someone named Kamesennin. I think it would be a pretty interesting thread if we could come up with TMBG ideas for Quake. Does anyone have a mod or something for TMBG stuff? I'm not very creative, so I haven't thought of any ideas, but it's a thought. > Cool!! Sound like fun, Quake needs some more interesting stuff done to it *wink* sorry all you who aren't bored with the game yet!! Christine Jellybean -Hug a cow. It'll make you laugh.- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:19:36 -0500 (EST) From: "What cows, where?" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Message-ID: On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > I sometimes wear mine upside down, but that's by accident, and > >then everyone laughs at me. Say, I'm just wondering, does Flans wear his > >watch on his right arm? Being left-handed, I always have, and I was just > >wondering if he did, too. How about Linnell? > > Yes! Another left-handed person is on the list...it's great to know I'm not > totally alone... :> My watch is a little large, so it tends to flip over > a lot. Make that three, as i am one of those crazy lefties too- Does anyone else read the paper back to front? It's supposed to be a lefty habit > > >It could possibly be from a bad experience They had with the old > >Cap'N Crunch promotion a few years back. Perhaps all their > >Glow In The Dark Treasure Maps were all non-winners, Like > >MINE! > > > >DAMN YOU CAP'N! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! > > Now *this* brings back memories. :> I remember when I was younger and I > bugged my mom to get Peanut Butter Crunch because it was the only one in the > Crunch family to have one of those maps...I lost, of course, and since I > hate Peanut Butter Crunch, my breakfasts were pretty miserable for a week or so. > > Anyway... > > -Adam Tyner > /========================================\ > Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-55 *****************************