Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-56 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 56 Tuesday, 25 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Scranton? TMBG: Short, funny, unrelated to anything TMBG: Re: Linnell in drag TMBG: dates and times Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-52 TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell in drag RE: TMBG: A card plea TMBG: TMBG on MST?! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-54 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-55 TMBG: IP WOW...and some not so WOW Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag TMBG: no more weep day .wav maybe TMBG: Joe Jackson??? TMBG: Irving Show, I know it's late RE: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? RE: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? Semi-TMBG: Paging Matthew James and Det. Dave TMBG: Well, I had a good weekend TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! TMBG: Cards RE: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? RE: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... RE: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Then: the Early Years Review! (long) RE: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! TMBG: RE: #22 James K. Polk Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation?Twisted story from Stasi's Oklahoma Childhood Re: TMBG: refunds RE: TMBG: Then: the Early Years Review! (long) TMBG: Re: Question.... TMBG: Weep Day .WAV file Re: TMBG: Scranton? TMBG: Flood cover TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs (none) Re: TMBG: Flood cover TMBG: MTV still bites the big one, however... TMBG: IP CD Afterthought.... Re: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs TMBG: I Might Be Giants, too TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: IP CD Afterthought.... RE: TMBG: Flood cover RE: TMBG: MTV still bites the big one, however... TMBG: Back to the Front! (Starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) TMBG: Clarissa Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs TMBG: Clarissa Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) Re: TMBG: More cards... boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed TMBG: prospect park/Iowa TMBG: Okay folks Re: boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed Re: TMBG: TMBG on MST?! Fwd: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? TMBG: NARGH!!! TMBG: Back to the Front! (Starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) TMBG: Guess what I just did NON-TMBG: leftie, rightie... Re: Fwd: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's TMBG: flans' nice gesture, phone, brain candy, flans dream, bbc Re: boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed Non-TMBG: Left or Right? TMBG: OMLT Reminder TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH TMBG: tmbg.com? TMBG: DNS/State TMBG: cable? tapes? Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH TMBG: OMLT Reminder Re: TMBG: OMLT Reminder TMBG:What happened to tmbg.com Re: NON-TMBG: OMLT Reminder Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:03:34 +0100 Message-Id: <97022414033353@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Scranton? Would you go to a uni called Scranton children ? It's too similar to scrotum yv.. ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:08:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224090803_1148138142@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Short, funny, unrelated to anything A couple of years ago (or a couple of summers ago), They held a free concert in Prospect Park (which I've mentioned before). Just before they did Sensurround, Flans (I think!) said, "This song is from a soundtrack you would never want to buy!" (Funny, no?) I just thought of that recently, I don't know why. BTW, was anyone else there? "huh?" ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:43:40 +0100 Message-Id: <97022413433923@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell in drag Crossdressing is NOT an indication of sexual preference! If it is all you (me inc) women go and burn your trousers Warning, Do not ever EVER tell a scots'man he is gay for wearing a skirt. Your life will depend upon this. Yvonne. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199702241354.IAA12858@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: dates and times Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:54:45 -0500 (EST) My mailing list/web server machine had the wrong date (it was back in January) so you may find some funny dates on the last few days worth of messages. Sorry about that. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970224142028.00669554@mail.awod.com> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:20:28 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: IP Tapes / CDs I definitely agree! Actually, I remember someone on the newsgroup hinting a while back that they planned on doing this. :> Looking forward to something like this happening, -Adam At 12:11 PM 2/23/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hey, someone with a CD burner: I think someone should find the best IP Tape >(of everyone who taped it) and make a CD. I would gladly pay up to $20 for >that, and I believe the blank CDs are ~$10 (?). I know a copuple other >people who would pay for that too, and any of the IP shows would be great >for a CD recording. >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:06:41 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-52 >At 10:59 AM 2/21/97 +0000, Mark wrote: >>someone asked the other day about a band called 'New Adventured In Stereo' >>which Flans had apparently recommmended. They appeared on BBC Radio One >>yesterday in session on John Peel's programme, so I guess they must be >>British. They were pretty good, quite a poppy sort of band - as poppy as JP >>ever gets, anyway. I think I might have seen an album by them, but I may >>just be confusing them with REM's latest rawk release. > >John Lynne-EEL said he liked them at the IP chat thing. I'd like to know >more about them. (Album?) They played a song by them on the Radio One album show last night. So I guess they must have an album out or one coming very soon. By the way, did anyone else see They Might Be Giants (the film) on BBC1 last night (Sunday). I meant to send a message to the list about it on Friday, but forgot. Sorry. Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:54:32 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199702241354.IAA00495@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:54:31 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199702241354.IAA00491@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:50:39 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell in drag Message-ID: Egad a base tone... _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk wrote: > Crossdressing is NOT an indication of sexual preference! If it is all you (me inc) women > go and burn your trousers > Warning, Do not ever EVER tell a scots'man he is gay for wearing a skirt. > Your life will depend upon this. Yvonne. Quick note, they're not skirts, they're kilts, saying that is more likely to get you into trouble. An irked Scotsman ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: A card plea Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:34:58 -0800 >---------- >From: Perry Lee[SMTP:mlee@planet.net] >Sent: Friday, February 21, 1997 7:09 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: A plea > >Okay people, as much as i like the cards, i don't have the time or the >patience to sift through 100+ emails a day to find something relevant. >Please stop posting AKA descriptions, instead find a single person for >everyone to send them to and then compile them, and THEN post them to the >list. But to just post a description of a card is a little out of hand. It >takes up alot of bandwidth, and important stuff may slip through the cracks. >I'm not a party pooper, hell i like the whole card idea, but it IS out of >hand. If 60 out of 90 messages are just about cards, and redundant at that, >then it's a monster. > >zink >a lurker with an opinion Once again.... 99% of all card posts say "CARDS" or "AKA" in the subject. Every mailer I know of lets you list your messages with just the sender name and subject, and also allows you to delete them from that view. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC2249.29D03840@l106.rma.edu> From: Tim Clark Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MST?! Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:51:44 -0500 Well I haven't seen YET anyone mention the TMBG reference on MST yesterday. Probably because all you guys were at the IP show!!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!! Anyway, this Army dude was in his office reading over some file and Servo? says "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness. . ." To which I said YES!!!!!!! Of course I know this is from a poem but it was still very cool. --Cpdog ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-54 Message-ID: <19970224.102459.12470.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:26:18 EST To whoever it was complaining that they live in LA and the only place in CA that They are coming is Palo Alto i think you should just think about this for a minute. I am Flying there from DENVER just to see the show. I figure with this whole American Airlines thing and them selling tickets for half price i might as well take advantage of it. So i am flying there to see the show and then flying home. This should be an adventure i suppose. If anyone wants to be super cool and give me a ride from the airport to the show and then to the airport after the show i would be EXTREMELY appreciative(sp?)!!!! Anyways, what's been up with the digest I haven't been getting it for like a week and a half and then now i get this one a day late and it says that it is from january 4th. oh well. OKay i read this really late at night and well did i read that Linnel was in drag? Ugh! i am not doing very good here. I always have thought that he was gay but my friend finally talked me into believing that he wasn't, I'm just really confused. I just got hte meatpuppets CD with the original version of Whirlpool on it and i would definatley suggest getting that CD. it rocks and the song has more lyrics than the version that linnel sings. One last note cuz this is getting WAY long: Will anyone that taped the IP shows please contact me privately. i desperatly want a copy and would be willing to trade (from what little i have to trade) or set up some sort of deal. thanks! =) No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-55 Message-ID: <19970224.102459.12470.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:26:18 EST I read the newspaper back to front and i am right handed! =) anyways. Somebody that taped the IP shows PLEASE (i'm begging you) e-mail me!!! As far as Decapitation references: Turn Around (There's a human skull on the ground) i think they basically have a thing for skulls not necesarily decapitation. Especially with the skull head and everything on JH and Back to Skull. No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:31:17 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: TMBG: IP WOW...and some not so WOW Message-ID: I could go on forever about how wonderful the show was. I have rarely been so happy in my life...I would definitely say that it was the best TMBG show I have ever seen...She's An Angel and Shoehorn With Teeth...*swoon...but I do have one big gripe...just one...and it has nothing to do with THEM or with many of you, seeing that a lot of you weren't there...but some of the fans were exceedingly rude. I hate to sound preachy and all, but if you are taller than 6 foot, it is probably not the best idea to stand in the front row, directly in front of someone 5 foot, for you obsure the entire view of the stage, for the person behind you, namely me. Also when the opening band is on, talking throughout the entire set, yelling "boo" and cramming your fingers in your ears is not very polite. I know that Chainsaw Kittens were loud, and that they certainly weren't everyones cup of tea...but performing is hard, and they did their best to put on a good show, and they deserve some respect...and finally....if the area closest to the stage is full of people, then you are not going to get closer by pushing...That only makes people really uncomfortable, and i hate wearing other peoples sweat. I know that you already know all this....It just really "yanks my chain". But WOW!!! the show was so incredible, and it was nice meeting those of you I met in line. Love Olivia ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in Drag Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:45:02 +0000 () On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:54:02 -0500 (EST) Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > > > In fact, the only case I can think of where I wouldn't care about somebody's > sexual preferance is TMBG. Yes, I know they are not gay, but if they were, I > would not think any less of them. This is because they have proven their > talent to me (and mannnnnnnnny others) and I don't think them being > gay/straight/bi/whatever will ever affect my opinion of them. Why should it effect your opinion of any musician or indeed anyone you meet? TMBG were lucky you had the opportunity to listen to them before you saw their name used in the same sentence as the word 'gay' Being > "different" is one thing, but wearing the clothing of and acting like a > member of the opposite sex is just wrong. Rocky Horror Picture Show or not, > transvestitism is nothing to laugh at. Well, except in RHPS. So, being different is okay so long as you conform to what people like you allow then??? Doesn't sound like being different to me. In fact it sounds like a dicatorship. It doesn't seem to have occurred to you that this is the way in which people don't neccessarily choose to be. A persons sexuality is NOT something that can be generalised by a 16 year old who has never met them and NOT something that anyone should be allowed to label as right or wrong. > > Now all of ya probably think I'm some cranky old bastard who's sore at the > world for dealing him a bad hand, but this is equally untrue (as what?) I am > 16, and have formed very strong opinions about such things. I have no > problem with gay people, (much!) as long as they don't scream and shout about it, and > expect to get special rights or anything. No gay or bi people I have ever met have expected special rights. What they do expect is the same rights as straight people, that being to be allowed to record music without being judged for example. Your right to not see people acting how you'd ideally like them to be is not really of a higher priority than anyone elses rights. I hope you don't think I'm being rude here but I can't quite see what these 'strong opinions' are based on and why you feel so strongly about them. > Hoping in vain that he didn't offend anyone, ppppprrrrrrrrrh! > Kamesennin (Geoff) Chrissy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:41:57 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: no more weep day .wav maybe Message-ID: I have had it suggested that it might not be a good idea to have a weep day .wav up. I don't want to hurt Restless in any way...so I may very well take it down today.... Josh ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702241750.AA21540@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Joe Jackson??? Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:50:45 -0500 (EST) Joe Jackson was at this Friday's TMBG show??? What the heck swas he doing there? Where'd he sit, I would've love to have seen him! How interesting... Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Birdhous45@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:22:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224132230_1980426660@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Irving Show, I know it's late Hey, I know the Irving show was on Fri. and this is Mon. , but i haven't been on-line untill today. Anyway, OK the show: UPSIDES: -Great show again! -GOT JOHN AND JOHN'S AUTOGRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Saw the show from a backstage view -got VIP passes(even though i didn't use them) -Got both set lists -played sssooooooo many cool old songs DOWNSIDES: -wasn't all old songs, the last 15 or so songs were the ones from Flood and up -didn't get the actual feel for the concert cuz i wasn't on the "dance floor" -was sick all night, threw up at least 7 or 8 times (not during TMBG though) thankgoodness -even though i was backstage and almost right across from their dressing room, i wasn't able to meet them -didn''t play the world's address(i was looking foward to it) I went with, Charlesk8 and jordan1c, and met some other peole from the last concerts. All in all, it was a great concert for me, and it would be better if i wasn't sick and was fine. But then i wouldn't have been able to get them to sign my poster..... so mabye it was good? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:28:55 -0800 >---------- >From: sPyDiiR[SMTP:jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu] >Sent: Saturday, February 22, 1997 2:09 PM >To: Yoel97@aol.com >Cc: cyberguy@netheaven.com; tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? > >You mean the cards aren't real? Then where do the numbers come from? People make them up. However, a group of us ARE consolidating the cards. Check out http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/cards.html It's updated nightly with the resolutions of the cards posted that day. The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:44:23 -0800 >---------- >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com[SMTP:KdsInThHal@aol.com] >Sent: Saturday, February 22, 1997 3:11 PM >To: rogers@math.grin.edu >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? > >>>On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >> >#1000 Linnell Trying to Play Guitar >> He actually does play guitar. >How exactly do you know this? Does he play on any albums? > >Jamal<< > >Well, uh... No, I haven't personally *seen* him play a guitar ('xcept for >bass in the Guitar video - how fitting), but I heard somewhere reliable >(though I've forgotten where), that he does. I mean, and anyways, he plays >keyboard, accordian, saxaphone... I'm sure guitar is no big obstacle for >him.. Actually.... Anyone who was there can feel free to correct me at any time, but I seem to recall Linnell, at the 1995 John Henry tour stop in Seattle at the Moore Theatre, picked up and put on a guitar for one song. Could've been a bass guitar, though, but still... I remember being quite impressed. Almost as impressed as I was at a Metallica concert years (and years) ago, when they all suddenly traded instruments and started playing their older stuff. >sarah :) >linnellgirl@tmbg.org Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:01:21 -0600 (CST) From: Juliet Subject: Semi-TMBG: Paging Matthew James and Det. Dave Message-id: Would Matthew James and Det. Dave please email me privately? =) uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu Or anyone else can, too, if they'd like. =) TMBG Love, Helen =) "Hearts are broken every day." *** uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu *** http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman -------------- http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/4150 ---------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Well, I had a good weekend Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:17:00 -0800 specifically, just before seeing Empire Strikes Back for the second time (on Sunday), I stopped by a little tiny music store nearby and found....the Back to Skull EP!!! (: *notches one more on his collection* That makes only 7 more singles left to get. (No, I don't count Their demo tape, or all the bootlegs. Though, if I'm really lucky, I MAY be able to weasel out a copy of Their demo from John and John.) Oh, and the Fairly-Official and Semi-Definitive Card List is up at http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/cards.html I'll be updating it nightly with the previous day's contributions. The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702241928.NAA08013@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:23:20 -0600 I just heard Weep Day (is it the whole thing? Nah, probably not) thanks to everybody's pal (We know who.. just in case the feds are looking in), and frankly I thank him dearly. This is a great song! I don't get to see THEY, and my only access is basically what's on the net and in the stores, but I listened to Weep Day and it reaffirmed my belief that They Might Be Giants are one of the better types of beings out there. Sure I couldn't make out the lyrics. Sure I never can until I read the booklets. Sure I might be arrested one day if anyone ever finds that laboratory. Just wanted to tell over a billion people at once that this is another testament to their coolness... And if Flans gives copies of CD's to people with bumper stickers and brief discussion.. well, that's Just damn bloody nice of him! Mike "A whole page without mention of those blasted AKA's!" Leffel Be Sure To Check Out http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html To Download Thousands of Free Pictures, Featuring Naked Women and Men. maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Cards Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:29:24 -0800 Oh, also something I noticed after listening to the Back to Skull EP.... An addition to the "Disembodied Head Songs" series: Mrs. Train card. (no number yet) Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:09:08 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: The Guitar? Message-ID: > Anyone who was there can feel free to correct me at any time, > but I seem to recall Linnell, at the 1995 John Henry tour stop in > Seattle at the Moore Theatre, picked up and put on a guitar for > one song. Could've been a bass guitar, though, but still... I > remember being quite impressed. Almost as impressed as I > was at a Metallica concert years (and years) ago, when they > all suddenly traded instruments and started playing their older > stuff. > Oh, that's nothing. Try going to a Phish show every once in a while. Simple fact is, all four members of Phish can play all four instruments (guitar, bass, keyboards, drums) better than any of us ever could. They can all sing pretty damn well, as well. They've made it a tradition to occasionally just trade instruments during a jam and play something else for a while. And Fishman (the drummer, most of the time) can play the vacuum cleaner better than anyone else... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html ---concert tape page--- "We're more than friends...and maybe we can start again..." ---Sebadoh (who I'm seeing tonight....yippee!!!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:49:56 -0800 >--------- >From: Adam Tyner[SMTP:ctyner@awod.com] >Sent: Sunday, February 23, 1997 1:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... > >>It could possibly be from a bad experience They had with the old >>Cap'N Crunch promotion a few years back. Perhaps all their >>Glow In The Dark Treasure Maps were all non-winners, Like >>MINE! >> >>DAMN YOU CAP'N! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! > >Now *this* brings back memories. :> I remember when I was younger and I >bugged my mom to get Peanut Butter Crunch because it was the only one in the >Crunch family to have one of those maps...I lost, of course, and since I >hate Peanut Butter Crunch, my breakfasts were pretty miserable for a week or >so. *LAUGH* Yes, but *I* still have my Secret Cap'n Decoder (paper wallet thingy)! (: >Anyway... > >-Adam Tyner Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:17:39 -0800 >---------- >From: MajorDomo[SMTP:majordom@ussodyssey.ufp.org] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 5:54 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ > > > *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** > > This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and >tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read >it if you have questions about the list. > Yes, but does it have to be posted twice a month IN THE SAME DAY??? (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:38:59 -0500 Message-Id: <9702242038.AA06918@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Then: the Early Years Review! (long) First off, sorry about the double-post of my previous email (IP - Incredible Experience). I must have hit the send key twice (but I didn't get back two acknowledgments. Wierd?). Well, as I mentioned in the previous post I will offer my review of "Then: The Early Years" (IMHO, of course). The Packaging: It has a drawing of a ship in a bottle on the front cover. On the back it has a drawing of several toy boats. The booklet cover has a drawing of a birdhouse on a ship's mast. The first two pages have old promo posters from their first shows with some details about the way the songs were recorded in the early years. It goes into a lot more detail than I have ever read before. The booklet then goes through (this gets difficult to describe - there is so much information packed into this) the first three CDs, the mini CDs (EPs), and the bonus songs (off this CD) - describing each song and the recording techniques behind them. Pictures, album art, CD3" covers, and lyrics make up the rest of the booklet. Scale: 1 to 5 ice cubes Overall the booklet is 4.5 ice cubes (very cool)! The CDs: (each one blue with a picture of a sailor & whale in different poses). The recordings are MUCH CLEANER. I heard it right away (I thought, So...). this morning I played Ana Ng from Lincoln and Ana Ng from THEN back to back with the same stereo settings and there is a noticeable difference. The only words I can use to describe it are cleaner. The instruments and "nuances" are more distinct. Overall the CDs are 5 ice cubes (too cool)! The Songs: Disc One: "TMBG" - first CD - all songs in order. "EP B-SIDES" - (from Misc. T.) WTR, WIRIS, TFP, ?, FS, TBO, KMSOG (alt. ver.) MK. "BONUS TRACKS" - Critic Intro, Now That I Have Everything, Mainstream USA, Fake Out in Buenos Aries, Greek #3, Hope That I Get Old Before I Die (orig. ver.), I'm Def, Don't Let's Start (Demo Version), 85 Radio Special Thank You. Disc Two: "LINCOLN" - all songs in order. "EP B-SIDES" - (from Misc. T.) HR, INMB, ISM, NOTSM, TWA (Joshua Fried Remix), HMDJITYSWHAD, LIAT, BF. "BONUS TRACKS" - Kitten Intro, Weep Day, The Big Big Whoredom, I'm Gettin Sentimental Over you (adaptation), Become A Robot, Which Describes How You're Feeling, Swing Is A Word, Doris Cunningham, Conterfeit Fake, Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man. Overall the songs are 5 ice cubes! Overall I give the CDs 5 ice cubes. After listening to it I just felt like I received a little more insight into TMBG and where they came from. You can pick background samples out better (see, TWA (Joshua Fried Mix), The "unheard" songs are clean (not like on the Power of DAS tape) and fit in perfectly with the "released" songs. I want to "shuffle" through the CD for a really unique mix. The 2 CDs provide ALOT of music (quantity). If you do not own the first 3CDs I would think this release will blow you away. If you already own all of these CDs (like myself) it is well worth the price of admission for the better recordings and the new songs. I give it a 5 because I just don't think I deserves less. It's very TMBG. Erik J. Chuss ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:49:14 -0800 >---------- >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 11:23 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? >I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! > >I just heard Weep Day (is it the whole thing? Nah, probably not) thanks to >everybody's pal (We know who.. just in case the feds are looking in), and >frankly I thank him dearly. I've just listened to it as well, and saved it on my local hard drive here at work, along with all the other They samples I've collected. (: >This is a great song! I don't get to see THEY, and my only access is >basically >what's on the net and in the stores, but I listened to Weep Day and it >reaffirmed my belief that They Might Be Giants are one of the better >types of beings out there. Sure I couldn't make out the lyrics. Sure I >never >can until I read the booklets. Sure I might be arrested one day if anyone >ever finds that laboratory. Just wanted to tell over a billion people at >once >that this is another testament to their coolness... > >And if Flans gives copies of CD's to people with bumper stickers and >brief discussion.. well, that's Just damn bloody nice of him! Very. I'm hoping They're nice enough to....well, I'll let you know if it happens. *GRIN* In fact, you all will be able to hear/see it if it does. (: >Mike "A whole page without mention of those blasted AKA's!" Leffel Hint: The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card (is only part of it). ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: RE: #22 James K. Polk Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:51:28 -0800 >---------- >From: Scott Murry[SMTP:scott@euclid.lsmsa.edu] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 12:17 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Subject: #22 James K. Polk > >Howdy > I was just thinking that the James K. Polk card should be #11, >because he was the 11th president-if there is a good reason why another >card should be 11 or why that one should be #22, then just E-mail me back >and flame me for my ignorance, otherwise, please take this into >consideration. You bring up a good point. Hear ye, hear ye! #11 and #22 have Officially been swapped. #22 is now "Where be the puppet heads" #11 is now "James K. Polk (Reprint of the 1990 series)" The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:53:56 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702242053.MAA04168@f16.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: 120 minutes compilation?Twisted story from Stasi's Oklahoma Childhood > it was like the MTV's 120 >minutes forget the mainstream collection or something like that. >Anyone know >what of their stuff is on this? Ana Ng. I used to have this CD. I got it in 91 or 92 for the Chili Peppers song on it and because I recognized TMBG. (At that time I had heard of them through Sassy, which I read religiously. I'd been seeking They stuff since then. Impossible in Oklahoma- we didn't even have an "alternative" section in any record store in my small town.) I had never heard "Ana Ng" until then. I liked it better than "Higher Ground" or Camper Van Beethoven. I kept that CD until 1995. Since I only listened to one song on the whole thing ever, I taped "Ana Ng" off it and gave it to some loser friends.) Anyhoo, it's not worth seeking out and buying. That was the point I attempted to convey with that long tale. Sorry if I bored any of you... MouseGirl ps Keep sending me those linx! 0..0 - \/ - MOUSEGIRL Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Fuck You, you prissy nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those weird Prohibitionist types?" Diamond Jack Flansburgh, in a dream * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:58:25 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702242058.MAA16125@f25.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: refunds >What is up over >there? They ask that you send everything back withing 30 days >because it >takes them years to get it done? I haven't even heard anything from them >yet. Maybe they need more employees.;) Getting my resume` ready, 0..0 \/ MOUSE Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Fuck You, you prissy nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those weird Prohibitionist types?" Diamond Jack Flansburgh, in a dream * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Then: the Early Years Review! (long) Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:03:03 -0800 >---------- >From: Erik J. Chuss[SMTP:echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 12:38 PM >To: tmbg-list >Subject: TMBG: Then: the Early Years Review! (long) > >Well, as I mentioned in the previous post I will offer my review of >"Then: The Early Years" (IMHO, of course). > >The Packaging: It has a drawing of a ship in a bottle on the front cover. You can actually see a copy of this on reckless' TMBG page... Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702242147.PAA10759@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Re: Question.... Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:41:42 -0600 ---------- > From: McClusky, Jesse > To: 'Mike Leffel' > Subject: RE: Question.... > Date: Monday, February 24, 1997 3:31 PM > > >---------- > >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] > >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 1:32 PM > >To: McClusky, Jesse > >Subject: Re: Question.... > > > >---------- > >> From: McClusky, Jesse > >> To: 'maleffel@ncfcomm.com' > >> Subject: Question.... > >> Date: Monday, February 24, 1997 3:11 PM > >> > >> Could you change the # "42" on your NYC pic to 41? > >> It looks a bit ridiculous if you catch it (#41 saying it's #42). > >> > >> Thanks! > >> > >> Jesse > > > >Bite Me. > > > > > >Mike "It's far too late to fix that crappy old mousedrawn!" Leffel > > > >(I'm being silly, BTW.. but I'm not gonna change it. No way, No how. > > > >...unless of course I hear the phrase "Hello, Mike? This is John and > >John!") > > > > > >HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA!!!! > > Hello Mike? This is John and John! > > Would you object to me changing it? > > Jesse Cripes! Are you fast with a reply or what!!! :) Well, what do you mean? The drawing? If you like, I suppose, it's only heresy... I'll do it, I suppose. (wait just 25 minutes...) But if you're referring to, say, the ability to list it as #41, oh, go right ahead. Mike "I'm redrawing it right now you'll get it in 25 minutes and it's not going to change on my site although I am making a milliways card but feel free to have it changed on yours if you can could you explain the change I don't know I'm a little flustered as i've been listening to bubble bobble continuously and the mod player is screwing my head with weird voodoo music and by god I swear that if you end up meeting They Might Be Giants I'll have to counter by meeting God and getting my picture in the Enquirer and the caption will read 'I'm having the son of God' and two weeks later it will have a story about how Jesus moved out because he's jealous of the baby I'm having and he moves in with Unkie Lucifer and damned be all who stand in their way while they rent gay porn and eat waffles" Leffel See http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html For The Mike Leffel TMBG AKA Shrine! Download Gay Porn! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970224213511.00673f9c@awod.com> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:35:11 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Weep Day .WAV file Well, I'm not sure if the 'Weep Day' WAV file is still up, but I guess we could consider that our weekly DAS Online...considering that the TMBG.COM page *still* hasn't been updated for over 2 weeks... :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:40:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224164036_412849328@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Scranton? >Would you go to a uni called Scranton children ? It's too similar to scrotum >yv.. Now that wasn't very nice! ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702242144.AA21782@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Flood cover Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:44:26 -0500 (EST) How about making the Flood album card #1990? You know, "It's a brand new record for 1990, They Might Be Giants brand new album, Flood!" or is that just taking it a bit too far? -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224170937.007136b0@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:09:37 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs I found someone who is able and willing to do this, so the next step would be... Which IP show? I'd prefer the 2nd or 3rd ones, but the first one would be okay, too. And how long was each show? If those recordable CDs only hold ~63 min, then we'd have to cut out some songs (or use 2 CDs) HOw to get the best recording? I'd suggest having everyone who taped it get together and decide which is the best (or maybe certainb songs are better on certain tapes...) Who is gonna set this up? I would do it, but there's really no point, seeing as how I don't have a tape of it, and I'm not the one with the cd recorder. The person who's willing to do this emailed me, so I suppose he can email whoever decides to head this project. I for one would like to see a GOOD CD recording, with nice indexing (stop between songs except when there's a really cool transition) and I'd pay more for the whole show if it had to be on 2 CDs. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:14:42 -0500 (EST) From: Elizabeth McGinley Message-ID: I want to be I the mailing list ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:26:23 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood cover Message-Id: Then you'll probably have to make any card of a song with numbers in it associated with those numbers. IE: 32 Footsteps, Intro to Flood,etc... (there are probably tons but I'm really too tired to think of them...*yawn*) Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Matthew James wrote: > How about making the Flood album card #1990? You know, "It's a brand > new record for 1990, They Might Be Giants brand new album, Flood!" or is > that just taking it a bit too far? > > -- > upcoming concerts: > Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) > Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 > James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 > TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 > > Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33122CA6.20CE@swbell.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:04:54 -0800 From: "Josh \"Quality you can feeeeeeeeeel!\" Katz" Organization: AKA-Anon Subject: TMBG: MTV still bites the big one, however... A few days back, someone on this list mentioned the Dust Brothers, mixers of Snail Shell on the Back to Skull cd. Well last night on the dreaded "Music" Television channel, they did a feature on the Dust Brothers, who are nominated for a grammy for producing Beck's album. While watching this, I was just praying for them to do a plug for Them. Well, one of the Dust Brothers mentioned that he had formal training as a trumpeter, and while he said this, for a split second the image of John F. with two trumpets in his mouth popped on the screen. Was this from the Guitar video? I forget. I was really pleased! Then later on they were talking about the various bands the Dust Brothers had worked with, and TMBG got its name mentioned. Taking over the world step by tiny step! Josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224171618.006a0f6c@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:16:18 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IP CD Afterthought.... Oh yeah, If it didn't seem so from my last message, I'm REALLY excited about this. And my vote would be for either the Valentines Day show, or the 21st: The Valentines Day one will basically just have live versions of songs from the upcoming album (i hope), but the 21st has updated live versions of all our old favorites! (I'd prefer... um.... I CAN'T DECIDE!!!) I really want this to work out... -ec -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702242230.QAA11796@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: THERE! I PUT TMBG! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? IS LIFE GRAND FOR YOU? I PUT TMBG! OOH LA LA, LA LA! Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:25:05 -0600 > > > I couldnt make out the lyrics either, until i checked them at tmbg.org - > very odd song, but good! so check the lyrics archive at www.tmbg.org for > them, and i think that was the whole song. > > -wyatt > WHAM! It's like utter magic! If I don't understand (comprehend the words they are saying, not the interps.. I will never understand those on my own, and I'd rather never find out what they mean most of the time) the song, all I need is one good read of the lyrics and I'm signing the thing for hours!! Thank you for referring me to the Org.. I forgot all about the lyrics page since I try not to bug myself by reading the lyrics to the unreleased songs that I'll probably never hear.... Mike "It's samba time for Tambo and weep day for Urine Man" Leffel I don't get it, but that's the coolest lyric I've heard in a while! The Duo singing subsimultaneously chills me!! HAAHH! Be Sure to Keep Watching http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html Because In A week or two.... THE SCANNED IN AKA'S!!! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:28:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224172852_-1139096204@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) In a message dated 97-02-23 18:07:15 EST, Kamesennin@aol.com writes: << Another common theme in TMBG songs is decapitation! Really! Here are some of the songs I thought of regarding missing heads: -Till My Head Falls Off -When Tornadoes Take Over the World ("and your friends will be swirling, right above your disembodied head...") -Mrs. Train ("I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head") -Dangit! I know there's more... help me out, people? These are all I could think of at the time... There's plenty more where that came from. -Kamesennin (Geoff) >> Hall of Heads? I don't know what it means, but it sounds like a possibility Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:46:35 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs Message-Id: Right on, man! Sign me up for a copy! I'd be more than willing to pay more for a good 2 CD recording. Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > I found someone who is able and willing to do this, so the next step would > be... > > Which IP show? I'd prefer the 2nd or 3rd ones, but the first one would be > okay, too. And how long was each show? If those recordable CDs only hold > ~63 min, then we'd have to cut out some songs (or use 2 CDs) > > HOw to get the best recording? I'd suggest having everyone who taped it get > together and decide which is the best (or maybe certainb songs are better > on certain tapes...) > > Who is gonna set this up? I would do it, but there's really no point, > seeing as how I don't have a tape of it, and I'm not the one with the cd > recorder. The person who's willing to do this emailed me, so I suppose he > can email whoever decides to head this project. > > I for one would like to see a GOOD CD recording, with nice indexing (stop > between songs except when there's a really cool transition) and I'd pay > more for the whole show if it had to be on 2 CDs. > > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702242236.AA21852@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: I Might Be Giants, too Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:36:07 -0500 (EST) So does anyone know who sings I Might Be Giants, too? I can't recognize the voice... Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702242244.QAA12126@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Re: Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:39:03 -0600 ---------- > From: Elizabeth McGinley > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: > Date: Monday, February 24, 1997 4:14 PM > > > I want to be I the mailing list > If she gets to be "I, The Mailing List", I want to be "ME, The TCP/IP" Mike "HAHAHAH! WOO!" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com Be Sure To Check Out: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html For AKA'S and Gay Porn. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: IP CD Afterthought.... Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:38:04 -0600 Message-ID: <19970224223803119.AAA286@ppp166.baraboo.com> >Oh yeah, If it didn't seem so from my last message, I'm REALLY excited >about this. And my vote would be for either the Valentines Day show, or the >21st: > >The Valentines Day one will basically just have live versions of songs from >the upcoming album (i hope), but the 21st has updated live versions of all >our old favorites! (I'd prefer... um.... I CAN'T DECIDE!!!) > >I really want this to work out... >-ec >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org > I would want both, but i'd live with a tape of the valintines show because we ARE going to own most of those on albums, in a year maybe, but i can live. I REALLY want the 21st show because it's al the old favoorites we'll probably NEVER get to hear live again! I'd pay 20-30 for the 21st but only maybe 10-20 for the valintines. -Wyatt, who might make a .sig soon ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Flood cover Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:42:58 -0800 >---------- >From: **Tarnished Silence**[SMTP:prallena@martin.luther.edu] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 2:26 PM >To: Matthew James >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood cover > >Then you'll probably have to make any card of a song with numbers in it >associated with those numbers. IE: 32 Footsteps, Intro to Flood,etc... >(there are probably tons but I'm really too tired to think of them...*yawn*) Actually, the 32 Footsteps sub-set is from 500 to 530 (yes, 31 of them for those of you who know why.) (: >Tarnished Silence >210 > The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: MTV still bites the big one, however... Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:44:14 -0800 >---------- >From: Josh "Quality you can feeeeeeeeeel!" Katz[SMTP:Heyzeus@swbell.net] >Sent: Monday, February 24, 1997 4:04 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: MTV still bites the big one, however... > >A few days back, someone on this list mentioned the Dust Brothers, mixers >of Snail Shell on the Back to Skull cd. Well last night on the dreaded >"Music" Television channel, they did a feature on the Dust Brothers, who >are nominated for a grammy for producing Beck's album. While watching >this, I was just praying for them to do a plug for Them. Well, one of >the Dust Brothers mentioned that he had formal training as a trumpeter, >and while he said this, for a split second the image of John F. with two >trumpets in his mouth popped on the screen. Was this from the Guitar >video? I forget. I was really pleased! Then later on they were talking >about the various bands the Dust Brothers had worked with, and TMBG got >its name mentioned. > >Taking over the world step by tiny step! >Josh Actually, I never did like the "Snail Dust" version of snail shell. WAY too monotonous. Jesse ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:47:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224174727_584486932@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Back to the Front! (Starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) In a message dated 97-02-24 09:36:47 EST, crouser@cis.ysu.edu (What cows, where?) writes: << Make that three, as i am one of those crazy lefties too- Does anyone else read the paper back to front? >> I start at the sports' section in the back, anyway! So, yes I do read the paper back to front. Being a righty, I feel compelled to say RIGHTIES RULE!! Joel Songs playing in my imaginary head right now over and over :) -- Which Describes How You're Feeling--\ If I Wasn't Shy \ Mammal / Some Apollo18 Obsession I Palindrome I / They Might Be Giants --^--^--^--^--^--^--MY IMAGINARY HEAD / FIVE SONG CHANGER--^--^--^--^--^--^-- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:02:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224180216_1712933550@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Clarissa Okay, today (monday), on Clarissa Explains it All, she's graduating..... so I'm assuming tomorrow(today, you fellow digesters) wil be the TMBG episode. :) Set your vcr's folks! sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:12:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224181235_1679388084@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs In a message dated 97-02-24 18:06:37 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << Which IP show? I'd prefer the 2nd or 3rd ones, but the first one would be okay, too. And how long was each show? If those recordable CDs only hold ~63 min, then we'd have to cut out some songs (or use 2 CDs) >> I would prefer to get both shows, even if it took up a few CDs. I don't think we would need the opening bands. I was only at the 2/21 concert and it seems I missed somethings so I would like to hear it again and I would also like to hear the 2/14 with the new songs. joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224183741.00710294@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:37:41 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza CDs At 06:12 PM 2/24/97 -0500, Yoel97@aol.com wrote: >I would prefer to get both shows, even if it took up a few CDs. I don't >think we would need the opening bands. I was only at the 2/21 concert and it >seems I missed somethings so I would like to hear it again and I would also >like to hear the 2/14 with the new songs. Yeah, we wouldn't need the opening bands (or the hours of waiting, either!). Those recordable CDs are what, $10? And 73 minutes of music... If whoever was recording them for everyone made a profit (as I'm sure he'd like to) I'd be okay with that. (However, that would be less legal than just charging fo cost + shipping) Oh well... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224184038.0069ebc4@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:40:38 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Clarissa what time is clarissa on? (Sorry, I dont watch nickelodian too often...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970224022131.006ee084@spectra.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:21:31 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Unrelated things... >>watch on his right arm? Being left-handed, I always have, and I was just >>wondering if he did, too. How about Linnell? > >Yes! Another left-handed person is on the list...it's great to know I'm not >totally alone... :> My watch is a little large, so it tends to flip over >a lot. yer both not alone, i'm left-handed too, and I wear my watch on my right arm :) Amy #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970224022642.006f4494@spectra.net> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:26:42 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Decapitated (Ack!) Hall of heads? (roll out that special head) Turn around? (human skull on the ground) dead (as my head fell in the basket) Amy >-Dangit! I know there's more... help me out, people? These are all I could >think of at the time... #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:00:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224190052_-1775572160@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: More cards... In a message dated 97-02-24 18:57:28 EST, JB290435@falcon.gdn.PeachNet.EDU (Julie Baker) writes: << > Julie Wrote: > > << J&J Meet James K. Polk and James Ensor > The Whole Band On the Beach Using Metal Detectors > J&J Wearing the Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > > Any takers? >> > > I am in luck! I just found hidden under my bed J&J holding a gun > perpendicular to their desktop globe! I'll manage to let go of it for the > Metal Detector one! Hmm....I dunno...btw..I found in a hidden corner a card depicting the 32nd footstep that the Johns are looking for...do ya know what that's worth? :) >> I hear that's worth $32.32. I'll give my other copy of DesktopGlobe for that. I'll throw in a bonus life-size ball and chain (5 ft tall) Joel ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:21:34 -0600 Message-ID: <19970225002133539.AAA327@ppp177.baraboo.com> Everyone has been saying this, so i guess i will. I too, am left handed, and i wear watch on right hand, and usually do read newpapers backwards. and everyone always says that my world famous watch is on the wrong hand dont bother asking ^ -Wyatt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:22:46 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: prospect park/Iowa Message-Id: On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: > A couple of years ago (or a couple of summers ago), They held a free concert > in Prospect Park (which I've mentioned before). Just before they did > Sensurround, Flans (I think!) said, "This song is from a soundtrack you would > never want to buy!" (Funny, no?) I just thought of that recently, I don't > know why. BTW, was anyone else there? > > > > "huh?" > ~Dan E. Boy > I was there. Killer show. BTW, it was Linnell who said that. I have a question for any of you listies who live in Iowa. Has TMBG ever been here? I really need another fix of seeing them live. -Jamal ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Okay folks Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:36:01 -0800 Okay folks... Starting tonight (in about 2 hours, as soon as I get home and put it onto my web site) the TMBG Card Index has changed slightly... The data is still technically in the same spot. So if you go to the http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/cards.html site, you'll still get the list, only now with a nifty background gif as well as links to the gifs that have been scanned/drawn in so far. However, if you're more adventurous, you'll go to http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/ which is a frames version, including a row of navigational tabs across the top (a client-side imagemap). More to come.... Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33123556.253E266F@rpi.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:41:58 -0500 From: Bungalow Bill Subject: Re: boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed > Everyone has been saying this, so i guess i will. > > I too, am left handed, and i wear watch on right > hand, and usually do read newpapers backwards. A lot of lefties, it seems. Add me too. -andy -- * ------------------------------------------------------- Andrew Magnusson, Rensselaer, BCBP '00 (518)276-7518 (or maybe 273... I never can remember) http://www.rpi.edu/~magnua || http://magnua.stu.rpi.edu email : magnua@rpi.edu || andy@magnua.stu.rpi.edu * ------------------------------------------------------- "Words fail. Buildings tumble. The ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven. She stands before my eyes." --TMBG, "She's Actual Size" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:50:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on MST?! Message-ID: On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > Well I haven't seen YET anyone mention the TMBG reference on MST yesterday. > --Cpdog > Ah, but they've made more references than that...sometimes they will say something about how someone "may be giants," and one time said bits of "istanbul, not constantinopel" but its hard to tell with Joel and the Bots if it is a They reference or a reference to what those They references are a reference too...if that makes any sense...(I am only a Joel and the Bots fan...Mike is all very well and good, but he's no Joel...) _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Will she shoot you? She won't have to- you're already dead." \\ -They Might Be Giants, "She Was a Hotel Detective" They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:59:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224195823_-804041772@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's going on? Date: 97-02-24 19:57:41 EST From: CyburDog To: SquirlHead In a message dated 97-02-23 01:02:58 EST, SquirlHead wrote: << I think the Factory Showroom box set was a part of the whole Card thing. Someone said if you lift up the floor of the box, you get a special card (or something like that). As far as I know it's a joke. The box from the info club is two pages when cut and folded right form a nice little lyrics box (since there was no lyrics sheet in FS). I made the box, with reinforced sides cut from comic backing boards! Anyone else put it together? >> WHAT!?!?!??!?!?!? AND SLICE UP MY NEWSLETTER!??!??!! PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!!!!! Miscellaneous "AHHHH!!!! THERE'S DUST ON IT!!!!!" Tim ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <24059a8f.u8t20e.186a2-thought@weblink.org> Subject: TMBG: NARGH!!! Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 18:10:25 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions Okay, manually posting from home here folks... I could seriously KILL the MS Exchange server at work right about now.... It seems I sent too much at once through its gateway, so it (in its infinite wisdom) decided to truncate my message. Thus, index.html, the new cards.html, tabs.gif and tabs.html, TMBGback.gif, snowhell.gif, and 816.gif all got lost in the trunc. Trust me, I WILL have them up tomorrow *grrrrr* Along with tomorrow's mods to the list... Jesse ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702250209.AA12008@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Back to the Front! (Starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:09:55 -0500 (EST) > In a message dated 97-02-24 09:36:47 EST, crouser@cis.ysu.edu (What cows, > where?) writes: > > << Make that three, as i am one of those crazy lefties too- Does anyone else > read the paper back to front? >> > > I start at the sports' section in the back, anyway! So, yes I do read the > paper back to front. Being a righty, I feel compelled to say RIGHTIES RULE!! > > Joel > > Songs playing in my imaginary head right now over and over :) -- Now I hear all this talk about 'lefties' and 'righties', what category does all of this fit under? I mean, they say the hand you write with is the hand that you are, is this how you all are going? I must join the 'lefties' then, but I can play a mean game of tennis right handed, course I can't play air hockey worth crap right handed, but anybody wanna play ping pong, I'll play ya with either hand, my only ambidextrous activity! Whoo (I play pool left handed, but I'm not that great so ya'll can probably beat the crap outta me. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970225023224.0069d5b4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:32:24 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Guess what I just did Oy, somebody share my pain with me. I had my copy of FS lying on my desk, label side down, about to put it safely back into its jewel case (having just finished listening to it and being just about to start The Phantom Of The Opera) when, like an idiot, I DROPPED THE PHANTOM 2-CD JEWEL CASE RIGHT ON THE FS CD!!!!! The cd is now broken. Guess how stupid I feel. Guess how sad I am that I'll have to spend my discretionary income on another copy of FS rather than on the BF5 cd I've been thinking of ordering. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( --nicole the klutzy wonder nerd *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 21:29 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: NON-TMBG: leftie, rightie... >Now I hear all this talk about 'lefties' and 'righties', what category >does all of this fit under? I mean, they say the hand you write with is >the hand that you are, is this how you all are going? I must join the >'lefties' then, but I can play a mean game of tennis right handed, >course I can't play air hockey worth crap right handed, but anybody >wanna play ping pong, I'll play ya with either hand, my only >ambidextrous activity! I'm slowly coming to the realization that we've had this thread before; but what the hey. ;) I go by what hand I write with, because I feel that I've been conditioned by my right-handed family to do nearly everything else with my right hand. There's some stuff I used to do ambidextrously, but now seem to do almost exclusively right-handed, like cut things with scissors, sew, and play badminton. I tend to think this is learned behavior, as I've met many left-handed people who do a lot of things with their right hands, but I don't know any right handed people who write with their right hand but do almost everything else with their left. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:22:29 PST Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's Message-ID: <19970224.202736.3302.2.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:59:03 -0500 (EST) CyburDog@aol.com writes: > >--------------------- >Forwarded message: >Subj: Re: TMBG: Cards? Factory Showrrom Special Edition? What's >going on? >Date: 97-02-24 19:57:41 EST >From: CyburDog >To: SquirlHead > >In a message dated 97-02-23 01:02:58 EST, SquirlHead wrote: > ><< I think the Factory Showroom box set was a part of the whole Card >thing. > Someone said if you lift up the floor of the box, you get a special >card >(or > something like that). As far as I know it's a joke. > The box from the info club is two pages when cut and folded right >form a >nice > little lyrics box (since there was no lyrics sheet in FS). I made >the box, > with reinforced sides cut from comic backing boards! Anyone else put >it > together? >> > >WHAT!?!?!??!?!?!? >AND SLICE UP MY NEWSLETTER!??!??!! >PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!!!!! > >Miscellaneous "AHHHH!!!! THERE'S DUST ON IT!!!!!" Tim > > well..thats why you get about 3 or 4 newsletters! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:51:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970224215117_-1809104561@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: flans' nice gesture, phone, brain candy, flans dream, bbc >JF: "Here I have something for you." and he reached down for >something. I got out of my car because we were too far apart. >I was expecting a sticker or something like that. He proceeded >to hand me a full copy of the double CD "THEN: The Early >Years"! I knew right away what it was. I was shocked! What a sweet guy! How nice! Wow!!! Maybe he's changing his image! ;D > > Have any of you people out there ever noticed how many of Their songs > > involve phones--for example, "Turn Around" and "Cage and Aquarium", and > > also they are the only band I know with anything similar to Dial-A-Song? > > A connection? An obsession? Who can tell? Well, maybe it's subliminally for Dial A Song! :D Like i n the Istanbul video - the cartoon phone: "s u b l i m i n a l"! ;) That's their plan! And ROFL! I am copying Brain Candy for a friend in England, and we got a new tv, so naturally I'm breaking in the closed captioning. :) And when "Spiralling Shape" came on, it said this, and I quote: "When all I want gots to see that groove within"! Oh my god, LOL! :D And oh yeah! I had a slight TMBG dream! They're always slight.. either that or I'm friggin' woken up before they're over... Anyways, Flansburgh was my art teacher (wearing standard b+w stripe t-shirt!), and I had a tmbg video in my bag for some reason, and there just happened to be a tv/vcr in the room, so he got all excited and told me to put the video in, and he proceeded to locate "Snail Shell" on the video to show the un-enthused class (save for me, of course), and then the bell rang. :( In real life, I woke up. :P >Hey everyone, They Might Be Giants, as in the film in which >the guy thinks he's surlock homles etc, you know the one I >mean, anyway it's on tonight at 12:20am on BBC1. Set those >videorecorders guys, or hey,lets stay up all night! Well, first, a majority of us need British cable. ;) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org MSTie# 77216 ~ TMBGer #45127 http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "You're not a plate of croissants." - Bruce McCulloch, KITH: BC ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:15:29 -0500 (EST) From: Kelly Anne Mazzonne Subject: Re: boring, pointless non-TMBG:I too am left handed Message-ID: >On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Bungalow Bill wrote: > > Everyone has been saying this, so i guess i will. > > > > I too, am left handed, and i wear watch on right > > hand, and usually do read newpapers backwards. A lot of lefties, it seems. Add me too. -andy You can add me to the list as well..... Kelly _______________________________________________________________________________ "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstien Kelly Mazzonne kmazzonn@umich.edu 1.313.764.4984 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kmazzonn/ _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224222611.00713aa8@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:26:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Left or Right? I'm right-handed, except when I look in the mirror. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970224223445.00713aa8@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:34:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: OMLT Reminder Time for another reminder.... the omlt page is still up, waiting for your vote! http://omlt.home.ml.org Also, now I'll be conducting a contest: the winner (random drawing) will get to send me a free copy of Then: The Earlier Years!!! -Evan "downloading the latest Netscape Navigator beta" Chakroff -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702250423.XAA15559@norwich.valley.net> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:26:22 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH Ok. Kids in the hall is funny. Now that I have that point across, I have a question. Does anyone remember The State? It was probably one of the few quality shows that ever left the MTV executives. I remember that it was often compared to KITH in it's time, but I had never heard of KITH. So anyway, what happened to the state, I found it extremely funny, and for some reason I have this weird sense that Bruce was on it, but I think that's not true. Moving on to MST3K, I got my fan club letter and card (which I laminated, #77477) today and I feel unfullfilled only seeing 4 episodes of the most current series. I am looking for an individual who has some older episodes (specifically MANOS and Mitchell, as I have heard these are quite good.) I have nothing to offer but my extremmely extensive collection of They bootlegs. So please, if you have any MST3K on tape, even from this season, (excluding the mole people one, which I got.) please respond. Becasue I'm desperate, and I may leave the basement if I run out of ideas. Rob "Two Phones" Grabill, MSTie# 77477 X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| "We're the Spice Girls! It's Great to be Back! All Fucking Right!" -John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 23:51:20 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: tmbg.com? Message-ID: Has anyone else been having problems getting into The Big Steamy Thing? I did a week ago, and it (Netscape 2.0.1) told me that tmbg.com didn't have a DNS entry (like I made it up or something!) and now it keeps telling me that the server isn't responding. Then I tried the lame-o lynx way, and it just sat there and didn't do anything. Is it just me or is everyone else having this problem? They are twarting me from knowing tour dates! Arghh... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Will she shoot you? She won't have to- you're already dead." \\ -They Might Be Giants, "She Was a Hotel Detective" They Might Be Giants + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702250433.AA12154@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: DNS/State Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:33:02 -0500 (EST) Hi, No DNS entry usually means you're not *really* connected and thus can't get to it, or else your server is having problems and can't find the DNS. It could be that the page was down too... While the State was pretty funny, it did not compare to the greatest of Kids in the Hall. KITH may well be one of the greatest comedy teams of all time. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702250437.AA12169@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: cable? tapes? Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:37:21 -0500 (EST) I don't think there is British cable, just BBC1-4? They show all the English shows on PBS ;) Actually, I was watching this British news show, ITN network, anyone heard of that? Is Fox going to get Doctor Who? Will we see more Wallace & Gromit? When is the Mr. Bean omvie coming out for god's sake? hehehe umm, I hope that you got a PAL video tape and VCR Sarahlinnellgirl or your friend won't be able to watch it, unless they have an NTSC video recorder which'd be very strange, or else they're gonna convert it. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:47:59 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH Message-ID: <19970224.224831.12150.5.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) yes...i know the state...my friend has a tape of a bunch of state stuff... one of the funniest things in the world...wheeeeee ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:53:37 -0500 (EST) From: Kelly Anne Mazzonne Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: MST3K and KITH Message-ID: I remember The State....I don't know what happened to it though, but I do think that some of the ppl from the state are on MadTV now....I could be wrong though. Kelly _______________________________________________________________________________ "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstien Kelly Mazzonne kmazzonn@umich.edu 1.313.764.4984 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kmazzonn/ _______________________________________________________________________________ On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, The Notorious R.O.B wrote: > Ok. Kids in the hall is funny. Now that I have that point across, I have a > question. Does anyone remember The State? It was probably one of the few > quality shows that ever left the MTV executives. I remember that it was > often compared to KITH in it's time, but I had never heard of KITH. So > anyway, what happened to the state, I found it extremely funny, and for > some reason I have this weird sense that Bruce was on it, but I think > that's not true. > > Moving on to MST3K, I got my fan club letter and card (which I laminated, > #77477) today and I feel unfullfilled only seeing 4 episodes of the most > current series. I am looking for an individual who has some older episodes > (specifically MANOS and Mitchell, as I have heard these are quite good.) I > have nothing to offer but my extremmely extensive collection of They > bootlegs. So please, if you have any MST3K on tape, even from this season, > (excluding the mole people one, which I got.) please respond. Becasue I'm > desperate, and I may leave the basement if I run out of ideas. > > > Rob "Two Phones" Grabill, MSTie# 77477 X X > > > gonk@valley.net ^ > http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ ||||||||| > > "We're the Spice Girls! It's Great to be Back! All Fucking Right!" > -John Flansburgh > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331265A4.61F3@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:08:04 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: OMLT Reminder REMEMBER! Everone vote for Kevins design. He promises to pay each of you lots und lots of money if you vote for his. [notice: the above was written by Kevin's massive ego and may not be true.] Seriously, I just want to remind you all to vote, even if its not for mine. You know, voting is what makes this democracy great. Kevin McGuire, who is a Communist -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702250545.XAA20896@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Reminder Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:38:15 -0600 ---------- > > Seriously, I just want to remind you all to vote, even if its not for > mine. You know, voting is what makes this democracy great. > > Kevin McGuire, who is a Communist That's what you Commies want isn't it?! Why don't you vote? Why don't you be democratic? Why don't you clone sheep, then in turn destroy your planet with a war that no human could have comprehended in a million years!? HUH?! HUH?!?! I GOT YOU RIGHT WHERE IT HURTS, DIDN'T I, COMMIE!?!?!? HA! I can't vote because I'm incontinent. Mike" Backdoor Trots" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com Be sure to check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html and stay tuned for the new SCANNED AKA'S! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702250553.AAA04911@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 00:53:20 +0500 From: "FuzzyMonk Inc." Subject: TMBG:What happened to tmbg.com All I wanna know is what happened to TMBG.com? I too cannot get on to that ever elusive page o love **************************************************************************** Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk chsexton@vt.edu 332 Lee Hall (540) 232-2048 Va Tech www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton Blacksburg, Va 24060-0007 **************************************************************************** I see the best minds of my generation Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical- Young ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331282A0.2BCD@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 01:11:44 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: OMLT Reminder I would just like all of you to know, yes I am a communist, no I am not evil, and that I find the term commie really offensive. This is just begging for e-mails of people calling me commie -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-56 *****************************