Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-59 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 59 Friday, 28 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Muppets Tonight TMBG: kilts Re: Non TMBG: MST number Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups Re: TMBG: best DAS TMBG: Getting .WAVs from cassettes? Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ Re: TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups TMBG: Good quality DAS wavs? Re: TMBG: Re: Muppets Tonight Re: TMBG: kilts Re: TMBG: computers and They Re: TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups TMBG: New tour dates RE: TMBG: computers and They TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT TMBG: Watches TMBG: Just a thought but... RE: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT Re: TMBG: Greek3 Re: TMBG: Anyone have a time machine? Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ TMBG: IP CDs Re: TMBG: Greek3 TMBG: Who's That Playin...The Guitar Re: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ TMBG: Call for Seeds! (Heeeere, seedy seedy...) Re: TMBG: Greek3 Re: TMBG: Linnell's getting married! Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ TMBG: computers and They Re: Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors NON- TMBG: handedness Re: Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors TMBG: IP Question TMBG: Linnell getting married.. TMBG: Video Bootleg Vol 2. TMBG: TMBG AKA'S! HA! HA! HA! TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship TMBG: weird TMBG reference TMBG: greek#3 Re: TMBG: computers and They Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship TMBG: clothes, tour, mrs. linny, dreams, cpf, ana, tapes, mst,etc.. Re: TMBG: greek#3 Re: TMBG: greek#3 Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Re: TMBG: greek#3 Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship & more TMBG: Bad Hair Day Single Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Re: TMBG: greek#3 Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship & more Re: TMBG: clothes, tour, mrs. linny, dreams, cpf, ana, tapes, mst,etc.. TMBG: moxy (none) NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: NON-TMBG- Squirrel Nut Zippers Non-TMBG: MST3k TMBG: Conan and Accordians Re: TMBG: Re: your mail Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 01:37:14 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: Muppets Tonight Message-Id: If John and John ever made an appearance, they'd better be in some sketch where Flans is dressed like Bunson Honeydew and Linnell is dressed like Beaker. Cory ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:59:45 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: TMBG: kilts Message-ID: Egad a base tone... If they do a Scottish show then there is a reasonable chance that they will follow in the tradition of many performers before them by donning kilts to "fit in with the locals", which of course, is what we wear all the time. Virtuallyu every act that does a date in Scotland has shown a lack of dignity by donning the first tartan that they found in a shop, even Michael Stipe, lead singer of so called respectable band REM donned a tartan dress for the first few songs of their gig in Edinburgh, so, if you're that desperate to see them in kilts come up to Scotland, they'll probably have no qualms about embarrasing themselves. And they'll probably refer to Scotland as part of England. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970227121833.0067e240@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:18:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non TMBG: MST number At 04:27 PM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote: >Well, as I stated in my earlier post, my number is pretty high since I >started watching it in the second season and didn't join until last >season. Same here. :> I meant to write that *&)(*&ing address for years and didn't get around to it until I got e-mail. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970227122036.0068ce48@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:20:36 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors Frighteningly enough, I'm a CS major AND I'm left handed! :> While looking for things I have in common with people, does anyone read comics? I'm a big fan of Legion of Super-Heroes, Legionnaires, Bone, and Scud: The Disposable Assassin. Just wondering... :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: 27 Feb 1997 12:23:23 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc23c6$29a97740$LocalHost@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups > p.s. Thanks, everyone, for the massive outpouring of sympathy after the > demise of my FS cd. Apparently I sounded way more distraught than I > actually was... I meant the tone of the post to be "D'OH!" rather than "I am > contemplating defenestration." I'm back to my old cheerful self again, and > I'll get a new copy as soon as my finances allow. > *** "Defenestration"??? Does that mean the removal of door and window openings form a building's facade?? -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 27 Feb 1997 12:23:25 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc23c7$3d9d14e0$LocalHost@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: best DAS > I don't dial Dial-A-Song. Something about it being a big long distance > bill from Seattle to Brooklyn. So I'm stuck with relying on the lovely > internet page. *sniff* So, of course, I cherish each one, and store it > lovingly on my hard drive for regular replay. (: > > Jesse > Gees Jesse, you talk of a long distance bill? Not only am I a regular caller, but I am going to four They concerts next month (with a total round trip distance of around 1500 miles). -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au (stralia) This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970227130609.00673628@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:06:09 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Getting .WAVs from cassettes? How do you recommend getting .WAVs from cassette tapes? I've tried plugging a wire from the headphone jack of my stereo to the mike jack on my computer, but the resulting sound is pretty terrible. Thanks, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: 27 Feb 1997 13:23:12 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc24a7$da90eac0$LocalHost@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ > > This was an extremely obnoxious and ungodly long signature. For awhile I > was hoping that people could sorta police themselves (cuz who's gonna > police the police?) when given the privilege to reach so many TMBG fans I'll tell you what is more obnoxious: Braindead cleptons who insist on quoting the entire ridiculous sigs of which they are complaining. We really don't need to see it twice. People in glass houses........ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33158F19.671C718C@rpi.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:41:45 -0500 From: Le hussard sur le toit Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups > "Defenestration"??? Does that mean the removal of door and window openings > form a building's facade?? Nah, it means 'the act of throwing someone or something out a window'. Really. -andy -- * ------------------------------------------------------- Andrew Magnusson, Rensselaer, BCBP '00 (518)276-7518 (or maybe 273... I never can remember) http://www.rpi.edu/~magnua || http://magnua.stu.rpi.edu email : magnua@rpi.edu || andy@magnua.stu.rpi.edu * ------------------------------------------------------- "Words fail. Buildings tumble. The ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven. She stands before my eyes." --TMBG, "She's Actual Size" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970227135057.0072a9d0@mail.vt.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:50:57 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Good quality DAS wavs? ### If anybody out there has any good .wavs of DAS tunes or other ### ### unavailable stuff, please mail me! I want to cram as much as ### ### I can on this CD... ### (apologies to those of you not using fixed-width fonts) * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970227134750.006770e8@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:47:50 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Muppets Tonight Cory Calhoun wrote: >If John and John ever made an appearance, they'd better be in some sketch >where Flans is dressed like Bunson Honeydew and Linnell is dressed like >Beaker. >Cory > Absolutely hilarious! I was laughing a good five minutes before I got my composure back. What a fantastic image to have buzzing around in my head. I hereby 2nd the motion! Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ^ (just a friendly reminder that the extra 'e' gives me my masculinity) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: kilts Message-ID: <19970227.085558.4350.1.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:56:04 EST >If they do a Scottish show then there is a reasonable chance that they >will follow in the tradition of many performers before them by donning >kilts to "fit in with the locals", which of course, is what we wear >all >the time. > >Virtuallyu every act that does a date in Scotland has shown a lack of >dignity by donning the first tartan that they found in a shop, even >Michael Stipe, lead singer of so called respectable band REM donned a >tartan dress for the first few songs of their gig in Edinburgh, so, if >you're that desperate to see them in kilts come up to Scotland, >they'll >probably have no qualms about embarrasing themselves. > >And they'll probably refer to Scotland as part of England. I heard that Linnell's girlfriend is from Scotland. If they *are* getting married this weekend, maybe they'll get married in Scotland (and maybe Linnell will even wear a kilt;). jen (me, not her) > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:32:58 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: computers and They Message-Id: I happen to be a CS major, and proud of it, darnit. TMBG plays on my CD-ROM all the time...:) Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > >>3)I am a comp sci major and a studio art major. > > I know a lot of somebodies have written about how They fans > are the ones "who program the computers," etc, in the now > dead thread (Thank GOD!) about Geek fans. But out of > curiosity, as I have seen quite a few mentions of people w/ > programs due, who here is a CS major, or is planning on it? > > Since many responded to the Lefty-Righty thread, why not > college majors? > > Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) > 20 year old college MALE CS major > > P.S. I am actually coding a programming assignment RIGHT NOW! > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:48:20 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Band mix-ups Message-Id: Actually, I've always been taught that defenestration was the act of throwing someone through a window. What a good word! Much like 'scatalogical' Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:59:26 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: New tour dates Message-ID: Hi all. I found most of the new tour dates at ticketmaster.com. I was also the first one to break the April 8 show in Trenton just because I go to school at the College of New Jersey, which is where they're playing. One of these days CUB Concerts will release all the information on when tickets go on sale and how much they cost. With their infinite wisdom, it will be April 7. :) Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "In the soil of leadership sprout the seeds of immortality." Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order "This land is your land, this land is your land, get off of my land, i'll kill you now..." TMBG * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: computers and They Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:04:24 -0800 >---------- >From: Kelley Kent[SMTP:kkent@uc.campus.mci.net] >Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 1997 4:10 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: computers and They > >>>3)I am a comp sci major and a studio art major. > >I know a lot of somebodies have written about how They fans >are the ones "who program the computers," etc, in the now >dead thread (Thank GOD!) about Geek fans. But out of >curiosity, as I have seen quite a few mentions of people w/ >programs due, who here is a CS major, or is planning on it? > >Since many responded to the Lefty-Righty thread, why not >college majors? > >Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) >20 year old college MALE CS major > >P.S. I am actually coding a programming assignment RIGHT NOW! > Oh, sure, what the heck, I'll bite... I'm a CS/Physics (dual) major, with minors in Math, EE, AI, and VR. Course, I'm not in college right now. (: Though, I intend to go back, now that I have a job that'll pay for it in full. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702271719.RAA26988@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:22:09 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT Hey this is in response to The Chair Is nor my son's message about tape trees. Well, I'm cool about setting up as administrator for anyone over here in the UK, as in I will look aafter anything happening over here in any tree. I've also got access to amazing tape recording facilities here at Uni so second or third gen tapes really wouldn't sound that bad. I'd also not mind setting up some sort of system for postage. I have an idea. What about splitting it up in lots of .wav files and sending them over the atlantic to me. I've got both free net access and I could copy digitally from the sound card to DAT (oh I love this uni) and copy that to straight tape at home (I think I know someone doing Theatre with a DAT machine. Its just cheaper than postage. The point of all this is ease and low cost. I also, to be honest, am upset that we in Britain always seem to be left out of all the fun stuff that happens in the US just because of money etc. I paid seven quid from my WDTSS CD for example. Anyway a ferw thoughts for setting up a cross atlantic tree. Oh and when they finally come to England, I hope to see you all ((if possible) there, along with your chrome/Digital tapes. (I have this lovley little recording walkman which I use for conversaational anaylis and it tapes beautifully even under a coat (conversations have to be taped in secret apparently) Whats happening with the trading card drawwings? is iit h appening? Whats happening with the OMLT Hey Doug Robertson, I've lost your e-mail address but the CD and tape are in the post! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702271722.RAA27251@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:24:34 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Watches I have no idea what this thread is doing, but I write witih my right hand and wear my watch on my right hand. Mind you I tend to catch with my left hand anda other such stuff. The term is apparently cross-lateral Love and Sandwiches Nyaralathotep Oh and Remember - Everybody's different, that's why we're all alone ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702271740.RAA28710@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:43:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Just a thought but... Anyone else on this list live in London, England? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:10:39 -0800 >---------- >From: Nyaralathotep[SMTP:J.Vile@roehampton.ac.uk] >Sent: Thursday, February 27, 1997 9:22 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT > >Whats happening with the trading card drawwings? is iit h appening? Look at http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg We're collecting and consolidating them right now. We're also taking in comments on the design/etc. >Whats happening with the OMLT We're voting on its design. Voting ends in a week or so. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:53:26 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702271853.KAA15919@f11.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Greek3 > Although I am >wondering what background the Johns are. Are they German (polkas), or >Greek (Greek3), or what? Also what religion are they? Hrm. Nobody seems to know much on that particular subject. Flans grew up in a religious home, i guess, because his mom used to call something called "Dial-A-Prayer" and make him and his brother listen to it. (This did influence, in a way, the creation of DAS.) Linnell, according to Flans, is part Hellenic, or in plain English Greek. STASI PS- Who are the Spice Girls, anyway? Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Give me a kiss, sweetie, for I am off to save the planet." John Linnell to me (I wish) "We're the Spice Girls. It's good to be back. All fucking right!" John Flansburgh * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:12:01 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702271912.LAA15101@f19.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone have a time machine? > >Hee hee... could be worse. Ask me about the time I had "Waltzing Matilda" >stuck in my head for two days straight. (Answer: it was torture, especially >towards the end of the second day) Or even better, when you feel compelled to sing it out loud. I did this at work and it was soooo embarassing, the way ppl stopped and stared.:P >>There is >>nothing comfortable to the male body about tights, or nylons... >You lovable kumquat, you. What makes you think that there's anything >comfortable to the *female* body about tights and/or nylons? As a >bona fide >actual real live female, I can assure you that nylons were invented >by a >misogynistic sadist. (Ladies, back me up here.) Oh yeah. I have to agree. >You think we *enjoy* >wearing ludicrous outfits designed for physically impossible >specimens of >humanity and watching you guys saunter around in your comfy suits? I think it's actually better to be looked at funny and made fun of because I wear mens' clothes than to put myself through that kind of torture on a daily basis. Then again, I've always been a little eccentric so what do I know? >Oh, yes, because you asked--yes, I do consider your threat of physical >violence against somebody who doesn't agree with you to be just a tad >oppressive. Right on. I have yet to kick someone's ass because they think the things I like suck. Then again I'm just a girl so what do I know? > One of my first questions was, of >course, "Have you ever heard of the music group They Might Be >Giants?" (a >prerequisite for living with me) Boy howdy! You've solved my roomate problems! Now I know what to do. Stasi Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Give me a kiss, sweetie, for I am off to save the planet." John Linnell to me (In one of my weirder dreams) Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:38:17 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199702271938.LAA03021@f12.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ >um...does anyone know who exactly Linnell is marrying? OK, my last TMBG dream. Linnell's wedding. This dream occurred last week. This is the first I've heard of it really happening. I dreamed I crashed Linnell's wedding. I don't know what the bride looked like, because she never showed. I don't remember much, but it caused a big stir. Beck was there. It was weird. Stasi Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ######################################################### "Give me a kiss, sweetie, for I am off to save the planet." John Linnell to me (In one of my weirder dreams) Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970227151831.00852390@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 15:18:31 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IP CDs First of all, Please Email me if you have a tape of the 2/14 IP show and/or the 2/21 IP Show Second, this is to everyone who emailed me about the IP CD (~40 so far). It may be difficult to make 40 CDs, and as said before probably only 10-15 will be made (not including FREE copies for whoever sends the tapes that we use). So, email me saying so if you emailed me before saying you wanted one, but now decided that you can, in fact, live without one. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:13:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970227161348_2028266667@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Greek3 >Flams grew up in a religious home. Well THAT helps! ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:40:14 -0500 Message-Id: <9702272140.AA05631@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Who's That Playin...The Guitar To answer a question about whether JL plays the guitar. There are two quotes from THEN: TEY thatt address this issue (She Was A) Hotel Detective EP "Mr. Klaw showcases Linnell's formidable and rarely praised guitar prowess." Bonus Tracks - Disc One "Mainstream U.S.A. again underscores the unusual guitar stylings of Mr. Linnell." There you have it. I was somewhat surprised by this fact but he plays sooo many other instruments that the guitar wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Erik J. Chuss "We could be sleeping in the flowers. Tell my boss that I am fired. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702272148.QAA14867@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:48:34 EST From: The Chair is Not my Son Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Tape Trees/Cards/OMLT ** Reply to note from "Nyaralathotep" Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:22:09 +0000 Hi, all! > Hey this is in response to The Chair Is nor my son's message about > tape trees. I made a far more lengthy reply by E-mail, but I do want to say a couple of things here, quickly. First, I have received enough private mailing in response to my ideas that it seems to me people =are= interested, so I thank you all for that and hope that there will be more as people finish plowing through their digests. :) Second... > point of all this is ease and low cost. I also, to be honest, am > upset that we in Britain always seem to be left out of all the fun > stuff that happens in the US just because of money etc. I paid seven Any tape tree that I run would be open to all who wished to participate, from wherever. I believe I saw someone post to the list from Japan; I wonder how she's doing for tapes! Traditionally, people sending blanks pay postage both ways in return for the kindness of the person making copies. Traders pay postage for the tapes they send. For international exchanges it occurs to me that some other method might be needed -- for instance, if the cost of sending blanks both ways were much more than the cost of those tapes. If any of these conflicts arise, we will resolve them. Bye now, =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] This is the last song; [h ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [e =] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [r ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:44:11 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ Message-ID: I dreamt about Linnell's wife too. In my dream I was talking to Linnell in a womens boutique that kind of looked like Mr Miyagis house in Karate Kid. She walked in to the room we were in. She was really pretty with long blonde hair pulled up into a ponytail with a tshirt that said BAHAMAS that was tucked into a pair of jeans and white sneakers (not tucked into the sneakers but you catch my drift)Anyways she said something to him and walked out. I asked him what she did for a job and he said "she drives a pot truck." "a what?" I said. "A pot truck...she delivers pot across the country" Then i asked him what her name was. He told me and all I remember was that it started with an "m" and sounded Swedish. But then he told me she was from Havana Cuba...so I said "Her last name isn't Castro is it" and he looked at me wierd. But Flans who was sitting next to me at that point and was eating spagetti squash laughed and spit some squash on my arm. What does it mean? Katie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702272148.QAA14879@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:48:40 EST From: The Chair is Not my Son Subject: TMBG: Call for Seeds! (Heeeere, seedy seedy...) Greetings, fellow Big Giant Heads! (Oops, been watching too much TV.) The time has come for me to officially ask for volunteers -- not to join the Army, not to give blood, but to offer up some high-quality concert tape of yours as a seed. From this seed will grow a Giant Tree, sprouting fresh, ripe and crunchy tapes for all. :) Lots of people have been proclaiming the glories of recent shows, and lots more have been clamoring for tapes of them. So, if you have made or received a high-quality tape (I keep beating the quality issue to death, because the folks getting third- or fourth-generation tapes will want theirs to sound good) and would like to help out those around the globe less fortunate than yourselves, please let me know. Also a good idea would be shows that, for whatever reason (performed in a British pub with an audience of ten, taped by a hermit), not many people have... or that you just think are too durn cool for everybody =not= to have. E-mail me privately, please (mainly because this is also going to the newsgroup, which I do not have time to read often); nice details to include are your own =critical= rating of the tape, setlist, and why this tape should be the one we plant. (If you're not familiar with the concept of a tape tree, or just want to see what a mess I can make out of the explanation, please visit my home page; the URL is below in my signature.) Thanks in advance, y'all! =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] This is the last song; [h ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [e =] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [r ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:50:05 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Greek3 Message-ID: On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: > >Flams grew up in a religious home. > > Well THAT helps! > > ~Dan E. Boy > Oddly enough..Linnell's 5th grade teacher gave me Flans' parent's names address and home phone number..Ill give it to you and you can call them and ask about thier religious beliefs and how they raised thier son....Mrs Flans was with Mrs Linnell (the elders *sniff*) at a show they did in Boston in Dec. So they must be friends..therefore ask her about Mrs Linnells heritage while youre at it. Its only a regular call to Lincoln Massachusetts. :) Katie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:58:19 -0500 (EST) From: Elizabeth McGinley Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's getting married! Message-ID: I don't know if this is just denial but isn't Flans already engaged? could it be him? liz ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:03:36 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Wasting time........ Message-Id: It means that you are the one designated to carry the next baby of Linnel, incarnate, of course, whom you will name "Spider" and who will be the hero of all mankind and will restore orange sherbet to its rightful place in society. Granted, some will not like this and will want to stop him and "get rid of" him, but he will triumph because "He's our hero!" :) Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Katherine Johnson wrote: > I dreamt about Linnell's wife too. In my dream I was talking to Linnell > in a womens boutique that kind of looked like Mr Miyagis house in Karate > Kid. She walked in to the room we were in. She was really pretty with > long blonde hair pulled up into a ponytail with a tshirt that said > BAHAMAS that was tucked into a pair of jeans and white sneakers (not > tucked into the sneakers but you catch my drift)Anyways she said > something to him and walked out. I asked him what she did for a job and > he said "she drives a pot truck." "a what?" I said. "A pot truck...she > delivers pot across the country" Then i asked him what her name was. He > told me and all I remember was that it started with an "m" and sounded > Swedish. But then he told me she was from Havana Cuba...so I said "Her > last name isn't Castro is it" and he looked at me wierd. But Flans who > was sitting next to me at that point and was eating spagetti squash > laughed and spit some squash on my arm. > > What does it mean? > > Katie > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702272258.RAA31169@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:57:34 +0500 From: "FuzzyMonk Inc." Subject: TMBG: computers and They Well, Yes I am a prospective CS major, and I have a program project due very soon. So I must keep plugging away at that little source code. and to top it all off I am a lefty. (hee hee) **************************************************************************** Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk chsexton@vt.edu 332 Lee Hall Va Tech (540) 232-2048 Blacksburg, Va www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton 24060-0007 **************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:02:51 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors Message-ID: On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > While looking for things I have in common with people, does anyone read > comics? I'm a big fan of Legion of Super-Heroes, Legionnaires, Bone, and > Scud: The Disposable Assassin. Just wondering... :> > I love Bone! I read Star Wars titles, Milk and Cheese (and Dork, Pirate Corp$/Hectic Planet (when i can find them) and anything else by Evan Dorkin), Eightball by Daniel Clowes, X-Files stuff, The Tick...and not much more... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I can't believe I just said 'fixins', but I did because I'm a whore" \\ -Conan O'Brien on Integrity TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: NON- TMBG: handedness Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 15:23:52 -0800 Just for reference, I'm ambidextrous in most cases. In some instances though, I'm right handed. For other things, I'm left. But for most, I'm both. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702272337.SAA16244@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:37:26 EST From: The Chair is Not my Son Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Computer Science majors ** Reply to note from Queen Sneepy Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:02:51 -0500 (EST) Hey... > I love Bone! I read Star Wars titles, Milk and Cheese (and Dork, Pirate Ever look at Flaming Carrot? :) Is good.... =] Carl Hudkins + chud[@]vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] ^= Evolution in progress! [t =] CS major but not taking any 'puter courses right now; [h ] could maybe program my way out of a brown paper bag, if it were raining [e =] :) [r ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970227184629.007b4a00@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:46:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IP Question Did they play purple toupee during the full band half of 2/21 IP? Does anyone have a setlist from the second half? Please? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:51:06 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Linnell getting married.. Message-ID: Y'know, having read the messages about Linnell getting married, and having had (as I've said before) a HUGE crush on the man for many years now, I discovered something odd.. I'm geninuely happy for him. I think it's wonderful. Maybe Flans getting married kicked him into gear or something..but it's great. No. I'm not being sarcastic. I am honestly very happy for him..just as happy as I was when I found out Flans had gotten married. A few years ago, I may not have been...maybe this means I've finally grown up. Or maybe, since I've been engaged since October, I'm just happy that someone I admire tremendously has found happiness and love. I just want him to name his first little girl "Beth", tho. :) NonTMBG: Wyatt, darling, sweetheart, oh wonderous rambling TMBG fan.. Listen, if you ever get the urge to ramble in mail, send 'em to cj350@freenet.cleveland.edu. I never get mail there anyways, and you won't have many listers trying to hunt you down and kill you. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:01:34 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: Video Bootleg Vol 2. I don't think I was paying attention, but I seem to have missed all the details for getting the second bootleg. Could someone please repost them? Thank you. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702280028.SAA14232@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: TMBG AKA'S! HA! HA! HA! Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:22:45 -0600 As for my updating the page with Scanned in AKA's... ..it won't be probably until later. I've gotten an oppourtunity to be published again in a newspaper, and of course, now all my ideas have been depleted. So, as usual, I'm in a -as the kids are wont to say- a funk. A big ol' Dick Cavett if you will. John Q. Suicidal, Inc. has gotten a bigger office and I'm the landlord. Hide the children and lock up the liquor, cause Mike's got that odd look in his eye and he won't stop playing Everything Right Is Wrong Again and It's The End Of The WOrld As We Know It and sitting in the corner, shaking and stuttering like a witness to the birth of the AntiChrist. Anyway, I've been spending the last few days growing my ulcer and staring at blank paper thinking "This is it! This is the big break" for the last two days, coming up with squat, totally neglecting the finish of the AKA's I had promised on the page. I'm sorry, to those rare few who were wondering and I'm getting to it the minute I send this here email. It *sHOULD* be over with by next friday, perhaps. Mike "No Ideas makes a cartoonist unhappy" Leffel Look at all the old crap at www/contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html and sometime, somehow, probably when I'm happy, the world will finally end. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:40:48 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Quoted: >>> I think my favorite DAS song is Next Plane to London, how >>about yours? >> >>Oh by far, and I don't care if it's a cover, Concrete and Clay is >>the best DAS I've ever heard! Ever ever ever! >I agree - these 2 are tied for my absolute faves... :) "I'm on the next plane >to london, leavin on runway nuber 5..and the concrete and the clay beneath my >*feet*, da dada dada.." "Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that..." -- one of the Johns in a concert (before playing Istanbul) Maybe They should just put out an album of covers :-) ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33164A18.124B@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:59:36 -0800 From: Archduke Ferdinand Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship >"Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that..." -- one of the Johns in a concert (before playing Istanbul) Maybe They should just put out an album of covers :-) Just how many covers have They put out? Istanbul Why Does the Sun Shine? (that other song on the WDSS single that I keep forgetting the name of) The Guitar (well, partially) New York City Am I forgetting some? Has anyone ever seen a band cover a They tune? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3315F948.51C4@baka.com> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:14:48 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: weird TMBG reference This is excerpt from an interview with back by someone named Nardwuar the human serviette. No, I have no idea who that is. I just found it on a Beck page. Anyway, I thought you guys might find this interesting. Nardwuar: Have you ever listened to early They Might Be Giants at all? Beck: No, I'm not into that stuff. Nardwuar: Cus They Might Be Giants had the initals "TMBG" which is like 4 letters and so is the name Beck. I think you and They Might Be Giants have something goin' down here! Beck: Yeah, it's probably like some kind spiritually bankrupt circle jerk or something. I don't know Interpret that however you want. And I have no idea what a spiritually bankrupt circle jerk is either. Interesting. Anyone who knows anything about Nardwuar the Human Serviette, please tell me. It sounds like he might be TMBG fan. -- "And what is the happy ending when the foot fits the shoe? And where are the knightly wending in the vast blasts of blue, Tracking up clean tomorrows in search of a bright today, Counting their well-worn sorrows in the hope they'll go away?" - Walt Kelly Jonah ------------------------------ From: BilyGdzily@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:10:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970227201012_1282569228@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: greek#3 I just had a lsten to Greek#3 and I reckon it's flippin' brilliant! I speak a bit of Greek (a very small bit) and as far as I can tell the accent is terrible, but the song is still awesome. Where can I get the lyrics? Billy Godzilly What's that blue thing doing here? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:32:05 -0500 (EST) From: Puffin Subject: Re: TMBG: computers and They Message-ID: On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, sPyDiiR wrote: > I'm supposedly a bio major. That's why I enjoy all these songs with the > scientific angles...i.e. "Mammals" et al. > spYdiiR Yep, I'm a bio major too -don't those crayfish dissections suck :P- minoring in CS Christine Jellybean > > ******************************************************************************* > Assume no death. > ******************************************************************************* > > On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Le hussard sur le toit wrote: > > > > > Since many responded to the Lefty-Righty thread, why not > > > > college majors? > > > > > > > Ooh, what fun! Well, I'll be the first to post on a potentially > > > extensive thread- I'm an English Major > > > > I'm a BCBP (biochemistry/biophysics), and I'm considering a double major > > in CS. I, too, am working on a programming assignment right now. :) > > > > -andY > > > > > > -- > > ------------------------------------------------------- > > Andrew Magnusson, Rensselaer, BCBP '00 > > (518)276-7518 (or maybe 273... I never can remember) > > http://www.rpi.edu/~magnua || http://magnua.stu.rpi.edu > > email : magnua@rpi.edu || andy@magnua.stu.rpi.edu > > ------------------------------------------------------- > > "Words fail. Buildings tumble. The ground opens wide. > > Light beams down from heaven. She stands before my eyes." > > --TMBG, "She's Actual Size" > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:52:15 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Message-ID: > >"Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that..." -- one of the Johns in a concert (before playing Istanbul) > > Am I forgetting some? Has anyone ever seen a band cover a They tune? > No I don't think so, but some of my firends and I think that TMBG should cover a Weird Al song (or vice versa). Love, Elitza The Lucky Pickle! The Spork Princess! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:08:06 -0500 (EST) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Message-ID: > Just how many covers have They put out? > > Istanbul > Why Does the Sun Shine? > (that other song on the WDSS single that I keep forgetting the name of) > The Guitar (well, partially) > New York City > > Am I forgetting some? Has anyone ever seen a band cover a They tune? Theres also "weve got a world that swings" off of the SEXXY single. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702280224.VAA00246@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:24:42 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship > >"Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that..." -- one of the Johns in a concert (before playing Istanbul) > > Maybe They should just put out an album of covers :-) > > Just how many covers have They put out? > > Istanbul > Why Does the Sun Shine? > (that other song on the WDSS single that I keep forgetting the name of) actually, I think the only song on the WDTSS single was Spy. They didn't write Jessica, WDTSS, or Whirlpool. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:47:53 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970227214752_-2109260744@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: clothes, tour, mrs. linny, dreams, cpf, ana, tapes, mst,etc.. >(Ladies, back me up here.) You think we *enjoy* wearing >ludicrous outfits designed for physically impossible >specimens of humanity and watching you guys saunter around >in your comfy suits? . I agree with nnicole 110%. Dresses are evil. >:) >> The question is, where did you get this info? (re tmbg tour dates) I just visited tmbg.com the other day, and those were opsted there. So I can vouch for Matt. :) >Okay ladies, we don't want any weeping or teeth gnashing or >suicides, alright? Let's just all be (*sigh*) happy for the guy. >;) Yeah. Yeah yeah. *sigh*. But I can't even walk in my room without seeing my "Johns in suits" FS poster.. He looks so.. groom-y in that suit.. ::sigh:: What a lucky freakin girrrrllll..Sister State? Or Sister Mayor? :) Robin is Sister Puff.. >but if you want to have bizarre dreams, listen to BNL's King >of Bedside Manor right before going to sleep Really? Hmm... :) When I fist got 'Gordon', I left it on repeat all night every night for a while, and don't remember any weird dreams, but I'll try again! Try watching the CNBC Conan, do some homework, whatever, then watch the 12:35 Conan.. try *not* to have a Conan dream. ;) Andy Richter cracks me up in my dreams.. "Rock on!"... :) (Talking to myself, yeah..) >ps-I know a lot of people who hate the song chess piece face, >am i like the only one who likes it? Nope, I like it! :) I literally bugged everyone I was at the mall with one day, because I wouldn't stop singing "WHAT's gonna hap-pen to _chess_ piece fay-yace..." :) Hyper I s'pose.. >What's really odd about this dream is that I've only heard >"Psycho >Killer" maybe twice in my life, You gotta hear BNL's version. :) It's the best. :) and re: Yoel's ANAPHASE / ANA Ng thing -- wow.. wish I'd have thought of that a few months back . I don't think I did good on that unit.. >The tape tree expert wrote: ><<[People] happen to live right near each other and want to >arrange for person-to-person exchanges >> I know a couple people on the list in the same city (Hi Josh! :)) But are you aware it only costs 2 stamps for 1 tape in a regular envelope? Works every time..You can sneak a lot by the PO.. they'r so disgruntled, they don't worry about an extra $0.20. Now listening to No Doubt's self titled cd (you guys will love it if you love JH! ...and to think I used to be anti-No Doubt..Anyone else with this cd? Wouldn't TMBG cover the song "Sad For Me" beautifully? I picture Flans singin, and Linnell playing the clarinet..) >um...does anyone know who exactly Linnell is marrying? Me, duh! ;) No... Actually, if she's who I think i saw... She's short with brown hair -- hey, she could pass as my older sister! :) And she looked like she had an attitude. I seriously think it was her and Robin. They arrived early - shortly after me, 3 hours pre-show, walked around the back, and reemerged from *inside* the building later - a few minutes before the doors opened; the security guys were *really* nice to them, and the one I think was his um.. girl.. had a *book*.. why would a fan bring a book? Case closed.. :) >Anybody happen to know of what songs were played (if any) >at/or will be at the Weddings of They? They'll eed A Crane? Okay, that was harsh. ;) I dunno... Maybe um... Adventures in Stereo? . Maybe Brain Dewan will sing live at their wedding. ;) Maybe Flans will. :D Hee hee.. Are they selling tickets to the reception? ;D Jeez, all the cute guys in the bans I like are either married or heavily involved.. except for one.. and I talk to him via email... hrm...... ;) but I _am_ a tad young... sigh.. re: ktma mst3k - I have the scrapbook and poopie tapes, and some bits of the ktma ep's are on the scrapbook tape. :) Joel's long hair.. hee hee.. :) ObMst: my computer's alert sound is Joel saying "JEEpers." sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org (so... so what.. I should be allowed to glue my poster!) MSTie# 77216 ~ TMBGer #45127 http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Whaddya thinks in the burgers?" - You Can't Do That On Television ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3316BB4B.487F@netcomuk.co.uk> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 03:02:35 -0800 From: Velouria Organization: London School of Economics Subject: Re: TMBG: greek#3 BilyGdzily@aol.com wrote: > > I just had a lsten to Greek#3 and I reckon it's flippin' brilliant! I speak > a bit of Greek (a very small bit) and as far as I can tell the accent is > terrible, but the song is still awesome. Where can I get the lyrics? > > Billy Godzilly I had no idea that Linnell had a greek background! Wow! I just listened to Greek#3 and being 100% Greek myself, you can imagine how I felt! I mean, a tmbg song in my native language! I expect anything from Them, but as I had no idea about L's greekness, it came as an amazing surprise! Now, the accent is not that bad. The lyrics though are very effectively translated, that is whoever translated it to Greek must have been a fluent speaker, with a full knowledge of expressions, idioms, etc. It was very funny actually. Translating 'a silver guitar', they didn't use the greek word for guitar, but 'baglama', which is a very small kind of 'bouzouki' (the most popular greek string instrument), and used only in greek folk songs. What was really weird: instead of 'inspiration' they used the word for 'dead body' ('ptoma'), and instead of 'president', 'pyravlos', which in Greek means 'rocket' (?!). It was very interesting. If you want any help with the lyrics, email me. Jo ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199702280309.WAA26387@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: greek#3 Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:09:57 -0500 (EST) I'd like to have the lyrics to Greek #3 for www.tmbg.org, it's one of the few that isn't in the liner notes. I've got most of Then up on the site now and I'll be putting everything in the new index real soon and getting it up. I'm just waiting on a few more details. In other news, I can't confirm that Linnell is engaged...but I can remind all the women on the list that I am single...and hey, if you can't have John and John the list guy is probably the next best thing, right? Well, it was worth a try anyway. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331666C5.3B5E@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:01:57 -0800 From: Archduke Ferdinand Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship >No I don't think so, but some of my firends and I think that TMBG shouldcover a Weird Al song (or vice versa). Actually this interesting because on the Bad Hair Day single (and maybe even his last album?) Weird Al does an original non-satire song that my friend and I could SWEAR is a TMBG tribute. The lyrics, the style in which it was sung, just seemed to close to be coincidental. Any Al fans know what I'm talking about? I think I remember reading somewhere that Al's a TMBG fan, too... ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702280318.AA15126@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: greek#3 Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:18:10 -0500 (EST) > BilyGdzily@aol.com wrote: > > > > I just had a lsten to Greek#3 and I reckon it's flippin' brilliant! I speak > > a bit of Greek (a very small bit) and as far as I can tell the accent is > > terrible, but the song is still awesome. Where can I get the lyrics? > > > > Billy Godzilly > > I had no idea that Linnell had a greek background! Wow! I just listened > to Greek#3 and being 100% Greek myself, you can imagine how I felt! I > mean, a tmbg song in my native language! I expect anything from Them, but > as I had no idea about L's greekness, it came as an amazing surprise! Maybe that's how the whole nerd/quirky stuf came out? Someone said, "Hey Linnell, you greek!" and some guy misheard him and thought he said, "You geek!" The rest is history... Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970228032932.00694ab4@spectra.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:29:32 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship & more >Am I forgetting some? Has anyone ever seen a band cover a They tune? Hagfish covered Twistin, and the Bruce Lee band covered She's An Angel. Istanbul was originally this skit on a radio show that someone made into a song, then tmbg covered it. One of my teachers has a tape of it, and he's going to make me a copy of it. :) My mom has this big box of old records, and i was listening to some of them, and i found like, Next Plane to London, Frankenstein, The Writings On the wall (different song tho), and i know there's more but i dont remember which ones. ---Amy--- #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970228033409.006a0cc0@spectra.net> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:34:09 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: TMBG: Bad Hair Day Single On the back cover of the single that has Everything You Know is Wrong on it, theres this picture of 4 guys, one is Al with his hair all braided and theres another with his hair sticking up, and below them, theres these 2 guys, one has dark hair and one has big blonde hair, kinda reminds me of john and john... :) ---Amy--- >Actually this interesting because on the Bad Hair Day single (and maybe >even his last album?) Weird Al does an original non-satire song that my >friend and I could SWEAR is a TMBG tribute #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702280353.VAA17969@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:48:12 -0600 > Actually this interesting because on the Bad Hair Day single (and maybe > even his last album?) Weird Al does an original non-satire song that my > friend and I could SWEAR is a TMBG tribute. The lyrics, the style in > which it was sung, just seemed to close to be coincidental. Any Al fans > know what I'm talking about? I think I remember reading somewhere that > Al's a TMBG fan, too... When Al's disc came out, my friend bought it immediately. He brought it over and he played the songs for me and said that one of them reminded him of TMBG. Now, I did'nt catch it then, and I don't have the music at all, but if a sometimes TMBG-er/new fan like him can see it... is it actuality or mere coincidence? He's a music major by the by, but I doubt that has much to do with it. INTERESTING NOTE: In an old issue of X-Factor, first page or so, there's a song on some guys car radio. The announcer says that it's entitled "Multiple Man" by Wierd Al yankovic (Multiple man is a mutant character in the Marvel/Xmen universe). And the lyrics, to the best of my I-don't-want -to-dig-out-all-my-billions-of-comics-just-to-get-this-exact memory, it went Multiple Man, Multiple Man... and then some funnier junk than I can remember. This obviously alludes to the writers being fans of Both AL and They (They Might Be Weird... title to a combo album? huh? HUH?! :) but perhaps it could be something more... Oh well. I do wish they and al would remake Spatula City, or many other great TMBG or Al songs... Spatula City! Spatucla City! hhahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahaha!! Oh, what a great movie UHF was! I wish THEY would do a Show, Movie, Cartoon, or Soft Porn Mike "Not really the porn bit, though, I call that HUMOUR or SARCASM" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com Visit www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html It has my old AKA's. Right this minute I'm drawing what will be the Scanned in AKA's but I have this aching need to log onto the internet for some reason yes the psychodisruptive mind controlling subliminals of this mailing list are sure Important and Hard To See....in an unnoticable way... ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702280347.AA15149@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:47:15 -0500 (EST) I think I will pull my hair out now that TMBG are playing in PHiladelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC and I'm going to miss every single show!!! *Matt pulling all of his hair out and he is now bald* -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702280357.VAA18022@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: greek#3 Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:52:01 -0600 > > I had no idea that Linnell had a greek background! Wow! I just listened > > to Greek#3 and being 100% Greek myself, you can imagine how I felt! I > > mean, a tmbg song in my native language! I expect anything from Them, but > > as I had no idea about L's greekness, it came as an amazing surprise! > Maybe that's how the whole nerd/quirky stuf came out? Someone said, > "Hey Linnell, you greek!" and some guy misheard him and thought he said, > "You geek!" The rest is history... > Matt Thankfully, that same person didn't say, "You Hellenistic!" Otherwise we may be listening to a Satanic Band right about now. Or else something weirder.Imagine being called Helen all you adolescent age.. They Might Be Nicknamed Helen is now playing. Buy some tickets. PLEASE!!! Mike "Now I construct things to divert me from drawing, as you can see" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com Visit www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html for a great deal on a used car, and a free lap dance from Griselda, the 100 year old stripper who lives in the dumpster behind McDonalds. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:59:48 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: No Involvement In Authorship & more Message-ID: Hey, you know what's really weird about cover songs? Okay, quick warning...this is complete non-TMBG, but I just need to share. Anyway, I've owned every single REM album for quite a while now, and I did not know until just recently that "Strange" (off of 1987's Document) is a cover. Anyone here happen to know (and care) who did it originally? Just posing a question...see ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html --concert tape page-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 23:05:29 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: clothes, tour, mrs. linny, dreams, cpf, ana, tapes, mst,etc.. Message-ID: On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > again! Try watching the CNBC Conan, do some homework, whatever, then watch > the 12:35 Conan.. try *not* to have a Conan dream. ;) Andy Richter cracks me > up in my dreams.. "Rock on!"... :) (Talking to myself, yeah..) > I totally know what you mean...I actually had a Conan/slash TMBG dream the other night...he was doing research on Them in my room...hee hee... > >Anybody happen to know of what songs were played (if any) > >at/or will be at the Weddings of They? > They'll eed A Crane? Okay, that was harsh. ;) I dunno... Maybe um... > Adventures in Stereo? . Maybe Brain Dewan will sing live at their wedding. > ;) Maybe Flans will. :D Hee hee.. Are they selling tickets to the reception? > I'll bet the spot-light on the newlyweds song will be "We've Got a World that Swings" a-la Flansy...and if they did sell tickets, can you imagine? Linnell seems to want nothing to do with us anyway, how do you think he'd react if we all showed up? "John, where're ya going?" "Must...escape...crazed...fans..." "But John, we paid for these tickets!" > re: ktma mst3k - I have the scrapbook and poopie tapes, and some bits of the > ktma ep's are on the scrapbook tape. :) Joel's long hair.. hee hee.. :) > ObMst: my computer's alert sound is Joel saying "JEEpers." > Ha! I have him saying "Bad Touch!" "Jeepers" is funny... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I can't believe I just said 'fixins', but I did because I'm a whore" \\ -Conan O'Brien on Integrity TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702280434.AA15184@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: moxy Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 23:34:26 -0500 (EST) If I said that TMbG were playing in PHilly, Baltimore, and DC in my last post I sincerely apologize, I meant to say Moxy Fruvous! bye Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:23:57 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Message-ID: Royce wrote: > "Defenestration"??? Does that mean the removal of door and window > openings form a building's facade?? No, it doesn't, but if you would like a clear example of defenestration, point your friendly neighborhood web browser to http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/stories/addtoit.html From Liz: > I don't know if this is just denial but isn't Flans already engaged? Nope, Flans got married last June. Heyzeus suggested: > Maybe They should just put out an album of covers :-) Weeeeell, there's a kind of bootleg cover album that was put together by a fan. It's called Stumpbox, and has some pretty good stuff on it, including a lot of "Stump the Band" and "Spin the Dial" stuff. > Just how many covers have They put out? > Istanbul > Why Does the Sun Shine? > The Guitar (well, partially) > New York City Don't forget: Jessica, Whirlpool, We've Got a World that Swings, 25 O'Clock, Concrete and Clay, Maybe I Know, and Next Plane to London. Ok so maybe those aren't all recorded, but they're captured on tape somewhere. Then Heyzeus noticed: > Actually this interesting because on the Bad Hair Day single (and maybe > even his last album?) Weird Al does an original non-satire song that my > friend and I could SWEAR is a TMBG tribute. The lyrics, the style in > which it was sung, just seemed to close to be coincidental. Yeah, "Everything You Know Is Wrong" is the song, and I immediately noticed the similarities! In fact, I annoyed everyone I lived with at the time because I kept saying "wow! It sounds like TMBG! Really! No, listen, doesn't it sound like them??" :) Matt enlightened us with: > Maybe that's how the whole nerd/quirky stuf came out? Someone said, > "Hey Linnell, you greek!" and some guy misheard him and thought he said, > "You geek!" The rest is history... Matt, I've told you before and I'll tell you again...your posts like this one just crack me up!!! Amy, the 21-year-old, left-handed, music education major with brown hair and brown eyes who isn't Greek, works at a pizza place, has 2 brothers, and is just getting ready for any possible future threads :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:37:54 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: I have been searching the stratosphere for some MF clips on the internet. If anyone out there knows where there are wav files or if they have any wav files they could send to me then email me. Everyone is talking about them yet I can't find anything, like a CD or wav file, so that I know what they sound like. ---===Nathan "I leave this place empty-hearted, I came to poop and only farted." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:47:02 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-id: Is Jessica that Allman Brother's song or something totally different? ******************************************************************************* Assume no death. ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:57:49 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG- Squirrel Nut Zippers Message-ID: Not that I'm a fan of this band or anything, but I have heard much about themn on this list... As I turned on NBC for my nightly Conan fix, I heard the tail end of Leno, and I gues SNZ is going to be on tomorrow night. Just thought I'd let yall know! Thought for the Moment: If wired correctly, would a milkshake explode? _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I can't believe I just said 'fixins', but I did because I'm a whore" \\ -Conan O'Brien on Integrity TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33167502.5455@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:02:42 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Non-TMBG: MST3k I have been reading the posts of MST3k numbers and one person (I forget who) said something about becoming a member through e-mail. Could someone send this address to me? Thanks. Wishing he was a MSTie- -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:05:54 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Conan and Accordians Message-ID: Well, I'm watching Conan O'Brien right now, and sheryl crow mentioned that she played the accordian, to which Conan replied, "Very few people know that the accordian solo is slowly replacing the guitar solo!" and not one mention of Them! Not that I really expected it, of course, but I thought that was interesting... Thought of the Moment: If wired correctly, would an accordian explode? But then, thanks to "DNLS" video, I already know the answer to this... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I can't believe I just said 'fixins', but I did because I'm a whore" \\ -Conan O'Brien on Integrity TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:09:19 -0500 (EST) From: Brian Mellem Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-id: <1.5.4.16.19970227130909.2ff7aae4@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> Yes Jessica is the Allman Bros. Song. TMBG does it Better though. >Is Jessica that Allman Brother's song or something totally different? > >******************************************************************************* >Assume no death. >******************************************************************************* > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-59 *****************************