Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 6 Tuesday, 7 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: UK Tour Dates Please Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne TMBG: UK Issues: FS and Tour Dates TMBG: JKP TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-5 TMBG: HELP!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Flans hit/not hit by cup/tennis ball, film at eleven. TMBG: Brian Dewan Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show TMBG: Fountains of Wayne RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show TMBG: Are you the guy? (another hit and miss story) TMBG: What you said about that guy might not have been fair. RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show TMBG: Re: EMU TMBG: new tmbg album, fountains of wayne TMBG: 8 1/2 souvenirs.fountains of wayde.SnailDust TMBG: New chord format update. Re: TMBG: New chord format update. Re: TMBG: New chord format update. Re: TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo TMBG: Chords RE: TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo TMBG: My far out headphones Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:00:26 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: UK Tour Dates Please Hello All, Question: Every time I go to the Web Site and try to look up the tour dates, my computer tells me that there's a problem with the address - it says it can't find it or something. It happens when I click on those different sections in the fire icon. Does anyone else have this problem. It used to work fine when they listed them at the bottom - I could click on theminstead, but now they've gone and I'm stuck. Also, since I can't find out from the Web page, can some one tell me (preferably by e-mail if poss) when/if they're coming to the UK. Thanks, Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a pretentious quote to include: "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne Message-ID: <19970106.081559.5182.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 08:19:20 EST On Sun, 05 Jan 1997 22:23:11 -0600 mattm@mixcom.com writes: >Has anyone heard of them? I can't NOT here about them there on the >radio >and MTV all the time, theres is that Radiation vibe song > Er..sorry. I don't have MTV. I know, I know, I'm one of the few people in the country without cable(me and my husband are poor students without much money;(. I've never heard them on the radio though.... Jen ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:30:09 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: TMBG: UK Issues: FS and Tour Dates Message-id: <01IDW7O6PWOM8Y4XVA@vax.livjm.ac.uk> Hello all, and a Happy 1997 (this is my first day on-line since mid-Dec). Just to report that while I was in London over the festive period, Tower at Piccadilly Circus had 2 copies of FS for eighteen quid, and just now I've seen one copy in Liverpool's HMV for the same price. Of course, thanks to Matt I've already had mine for ages :) And while I'm here I'd just like to second Mark Iles' request for UK dates. The official site only seems to list US dates. What about us poor English? Oh, and Scottish, Welsh and Irish! Thank you for your time.... Phil Moss JMU Marketing Officer ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701061713.AA23514@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: JKP Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:13:44 -0500 (EST) As I drove to work today I was listening to WRNR 103.1FM and the guy said, "Let's play something historical from those wacky, wild, crazy guys from They Might Be Giants-off their new album this is James K Polk". Unfortunately, I had to turn around and go back home to pick up a book I forgot that I ended up not finding anyway, so I missed the second half of JKP. It was pretty cool nonetheless. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:55:05 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-5 Message-ID: > With a huge backlog of chords waiting to get on www.tmbg.org I > have been trying to come up with a speedier way to format them. In looking > around I remembered and old program I worked on long ago. It's called > 'chordpro' and it takes specially formatted ASCII text and outputs > very nicely formatted PostScript files that are a pleasure to play off > of. I agree that these look great to those of us who are able to use these utilities to view, but because of the huge difference of platforms and user-skill-levels, this seems to be a little tedious. I think that an ASCII archive (which I've been using very happily) is the best way to go. Maybe what needs to be done is to set up a template for those of us who submit the chords to follow. Also, if you went this route and needed someone to convert the old ones and whatever else, I'd be willing to help out. See ya'.. \\\\ (X X) []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward [] "Put the 'Christ' back in Christmas! [] [] joshw@tmbg.org [] Bingo tonight -- 7:30." [] [] http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw [] -- sign at First Lutheran Church, [] [] UCS Help Center Consultant [] Findlay, OH [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\------------------------------------/[] Kiss me; it's beginning to snow! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: HELP!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970105.145416.10990.2.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 15:56:24 EST Egads!!! Due to no fault of my own (it's a very long story), all my email has been erased from my dad's laptop! I have no records of the list-name vote whatsoever! Was anyone else collecting them? I hereby relinquish my title of Grand Poo-bah of List Name Collecting. I'll make a voting page for whoever wants to take over the Poo-bahness, but I am completely unable to handle voting now, for that reason and many others which have popped up. Sorry about that, kids. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com When they ask him, "What other planet features this," he replies, "What other planet!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <32d14ef42f2f002@gold.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans hit/not hit by cup/tennis ball, film at eleven. Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 13:13:55 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Joshua Hall-Bachner: [info about two-disc JH] > >BTW: I'm writing to John Relph to suggest this go in the FAQ, and if it >doesn't go in, it'll go in my "Supplemental FAQ/What's Going On Now" >document in the works right now. It's in the Discography, which is really where it belongs. We just need to train people to look there (no biggie, as we already do for the FAQ.) %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ From: SnailDust@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:25:16 -0500 Message-ID: <970106144658_613424324@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan I'm watching M2 (the NEW MTV station that plays music videos all day) right now and Brian Dewan just came on. It wasn't a video or anything awesome like that but he did sing in a comercial. I didn't think it was him at first because he looked different from what I expected but who else sonds the way he does? I just thought that someone else besides me might find that interesting and really weird. Oh, and if it's not too late to add to the whole cursing thing, I have Dial-a-Song on tape and on it Flans appologizes for the machine being "fucked up". Megan ------------------------------ From: SnailDust@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:57:09 -0500 Message-ID: <970106153926_1923760803@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne >The author went on to say how wonderful they were and I wanted to know if >anyone on the list has heard them as I have not. There is a picture next >to the article and one of them kinda reminds me of Linnell (except >blond)-he has the same kind of haircut and facial features and appears to >be very thin. Does anyone know if they're any good? Fountains of Wayne opened for the Lemonheads last month and they rocked! The best way I can describe them is that they are very similar to the new Lemonheads stuff. If you like the Lemonheads, you'll LOVE Fountains. I do. And yes, he does resemble Linnell. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970106163729.006dbe44@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 16:37:55 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion >The back of the O Tannenbaum shirt says: "Happy Chanuka From They Might Be >Giants"... :) I know and I LOVE that. There really are too few good Chanukah/Band shirts. Still, I think they were just trying to be their wacky different selves. They're saying Happy Chanukah on a shirt that seems so incredibly Chirstmas. It's a joke, IMHO. =================================-----Jeff-Morrow-----====================== ============ jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ============ ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: tom@Mail.Coast.NET (Thomas Earl!) Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:35:19 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show Greetings to you all, Here is the information on the They show for Pease Auditorium... The show is on Feb 19th, time ?:?? Tickets go on sale Jan 13th *FOR Eastern Michigan University students ONLY* and are $12.00 Tickets go on sale Jan 21st for the rest of us and are $18.00... ONE MAJOR PROBLEM!!! Pease Aud. is VERY small and only seats about 1,500 people... Tom -- * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Earl Diplomacy is the art of saying Network Engineer "Nice Doggie!"... till you can find Coast to Coast Telecommuncations a Rock. Clarkson, Michigan +1.800.900.9960 http://www.coast.net Tom@coast.net http://www.games.coast.net * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:52:50 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701062152.QAA11624@sumter.awod.com> From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne Well, since lotsa ppl (including me) don't watch TV or listen to pop radio, I will tell you my experience with FOW. Bej was in a cd store at a 100 disc cd station and saw an interewsting cd cover and name so he flipped to that disc. Wellsir, I really liked I think the second song on there, but everything else seemed purty drab. Not really very original, and not very weird, basicly rock music. I kinda like that Radiation song too, I have heard that, since my tape player (yes Bej is poor and has an actual tape player sitting on his seat in his car) ran out of batteries and I was forced to listen to the music of the masses. In conclusion, FOW- not a bad band but not outstanding Yo pal and music critic, Brother JohnBejezus geez I've sent out alot of mail today * ---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 You feel so normal, you are so normal,I think I'll kill you, or maybe just love you- Dallas Verdugo * ----------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 6 Jan 97 17:29 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show >Tickets go on sale Jan 13th *FOR Eastern Michigan University students >ONLY* and are $12.00 >Tickets go on sale Jan 21st for the rest of us and are $18.00... >Pease Aud. is VERY small and only seats about 1,500 people... So, any EMU students willing to buy everybody tickets? ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Are you the guy? (another hit and miss story) Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:45:54 +1100 Greetings On Saturday night I headed off to Mudslinger, which had the Lemonheads playing plus a heap of local talent (including Regurgitator, the Dirty Three and a very old looking Radio Birdman). One of the bands, Custard, had some technical difficulties during their set. So, to keep the audience entertained, they started abusing themselves (verbally!) and asking the audience to throw things at them. When one of them finally got hit, he took off his guitar and used it as a cricket bat to fend off incoming missiles. Good form, old chap! Just thought I'd share! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 18:52:31 -0500 Message-Id: From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: TMBG: What you said about that guy might not have been fair. ................................................................................ >Wow, actually I am quite shocked to hear that they would condone such >language. One reason I like TMBG is because they don't need to swear to get >attention and make a sound good. At my school we aren't aloud to wear music >shirts, but I talked to the dean and leant him Apolo and FS and JH so that >he could listen to Them and see that they are a good non-swearing or talking >about sex kind of band and he made it offical TMBG shirst are aloud. So the >only music shirt aloud at my school is TMBG. I was really proud of myself. >So to hear such words kind of confuse me. Oh well. Wow. That's really strange that you get offended so easily. Not that I like it when people swear, but I can see where there are certain times when a more vulgar word is more useful. Hal's poem is a poem, so he's trying to create a feeling. The poem goes: >"She bit my ear > And said 'Fuck me' > But that's what I thought > I was doing." It would have a different effect if it said: "She bit my ear And said 'let's have sexual intercorse' But that's what I thought I was doing." Neither is neccessarily better than the other. They simply elicit different responses. A good artist knows when to use these types of "shocking" words and when they are not needed to serve his or her point. Scott I wrote that, and almost sent it. Then, I read your other letter: >Ok, well I go to a private school, they do what they like. The reason for >the restrictions are someone coming to school with Marlyn Mansion shirts. >My school doesn't care about personal freedom, they care about instruction >us for the Word and steering us to professions in the Word of Christ (being >a pastor or teacher). My spelling and grammar are mediocer, but then again >I didn't know I was to be put to the grammar magnifying glass. I thought I >was sending a friendly letter to a bunch of friends and I don't appreciate >being castized for my grammar. Ok there are worse things than bands that >swear or talk about sex, but does that make it alright? Personal freedom >can be expressed in other ways than going against what God says. And if >yourself can be best expressed by vulgarity or sex than I think we have some >serious thinking to do. You say that I must be creative to listen to TMBG, >well I think I am, but does creative mean you must accept vulgarity and >embrace sex? I think I can be creative with out going against God. > >I am sorry for this letter is sort of mean spirited, but when you start >dissing my school in one way or another you are dissing my god, that ticks >me off. Again I say, "Wow. That's really strange that you get offended so easily." I think that the guy who wrote about your school was neither trying to say anything about your use of grammer in particular, nor trying to offend God. You said that by dissing your school, the guy who wrote you that letter was dissing your god, in one way or another. Keep in mind that your school and your god are two different things. I'd bet that your school isn't perfect. And it's probably true that you don't worship your school. So, try not to get so angry. You voiced your mind about something, and someone didn't agree with you. That's life. Maybe it's wrong for the guy who wrote you to "judge" your school without seeing it, but is it right for you to pass judgement on him? In the first post that you sent to the list, you never mentioned anything about God, so why do you assume that his reply was an attempt to "diss" God? You might have jumped the gun to lash out at him. He was writing about the expression of personal freedom and his view that your school might be trying to enforce some rules which they don't have the right to make. Surely you must agree that one's choice regarding religion should be left for him or her to decide. Well, if T-shirts which display controversial words are an issue which is so tightly linked to one's theology, then shouldn't a person have the right to make such a choice on his or her own, so long as he or she not hurting anyone? Just a thought. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:50:09 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: RE: TMBG: Ypsilanti Show Message-ID: > Greetings to you all, Salutations. > Here is the information on the They show for Pease Auditorium... > > The show is on Feb 19th, time ?:?? > Tickets go on sale Jan 13th *FOR Eastern Michigan University students > ONLY* and are $12.00 > Tickets go on sale Jan 21st for the rest of us and are $18.00... > Oooh! Affordable! This is very good for those of us not on a steady income! > ONE MAJOR PROBLEM!!! > > Pease Aud. is VERY small and only seats about 1,500 people... > Somehow, I don't think that's gonna be a problem. > Tom > The question of the day is, Are there any Eastern students on the list that can buy a few tix, like maybe five or six, for the listies who would certainly pay you back later? That sounds to me like one of the better solutions to the the smallness problem. The other thing that I was thinking is that when They came to East Lansing, their in-store was about this widely publicized (in other words, it wasn't) and there were only about 150 people there from the entirety of the MSU campus and surrounding areas. MSU is *considerably* larger than EMU (but EMU is a neat bird, too, so it's all good) so the true fans will find Them. I don't think we're gonna have a problem finding seats, and decent ones at that! > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Earl Diplomacy is the art of saying > Network Engineer "Nice Doggie!"... till you can find > Coast to Coast Telecommuncations a Rock. > Clarkson, Michigan > +1.800.900.9960 http://www.coast.net > Tom@coast.net http://www.games.coast.net > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 6 Jan 97 20:05 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Re: EMU >> So, any EMU students willing to buy everybody tickets? ;) >Sounds like a bunch of students who worship an animal ;) Yeah, I've always thought that, too. I always crack up when I see people wearing EMU t-shirts, much to the puzzlement of those around me. About the concert: AARGH!! I just found out that my friend Rocky, who I was counting on for a ride, probably won't be able to go since it's on a Wednesday. :( Is there any kind souls out there who would be willing to give a poor, driver's license-less high school student a ride? It's either that or talk my dad into taking me. *sigh* I *must* get to this concert! Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:45:24 -0500 Message-ID: <970106194452_1415366387@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: new tmbg album, fountains of wayne >>2) When is the B-side album coming out? 3) When is the double CD coming out?<< On comes out in february.. I can't remember at the moment; my brain is fried.. Oh my sister is cracking me up-- She's watching the video compilation, and Puppet Head is on... "What if Grand and Brian were in this, and when they do that one part, Flansburgh was the caboose! Hee heeee!" :D "Grand." How cute. She was referring to the one part, well if you've seen it, you know. When John and John are walking one behind the other... >>Re: TMBG: Fountains of Wayne<< oh yeah, now i know who you're talking about. oh, that lead singer looks EXACTLY like this kid from school, so that video kind of makes me laugh. But I normally have MTV on mute, just as background, so I don't know for sure what the song sounds like. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "Tests show that a Beach Boys concert is a very sad thing." - Dave Foley, KITH ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:47:54 -0500 Message-Id: <199701070147.UAA07775@mx03.erols.com> From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: 8 1/2 souvenirs.fountains of wayde.SnailDust I was listening to the 8 1/2 souvenirs cd and noticed that in the end of the title track, Happy feet, the music follows the line in Istanbul "even old new york was once new amsterdam" (repeat). Well not exactly tmbg related, but... I think I heard Fountains of wade on the radio. It was okay. Is Megan/Snail Dust the same one as on the Dar Williams list? If so, neat; You have nice taste in music. I don't know if many tmbg fans might like Dar Williams, but I have been listening to "The Honesty room" CD for the past few days and it her songwriting is brilliant. Unlike TMBG's style, her songs like very personal stories and revelations. the song travelling again is nice to drive alone to at 4 in the morning. Well if that wasn't totally unrelated then I don't know what is. <=) EK ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-= "All the girls are monsters, all the boys are whores. So if you lose the one you love, There's always plenty more. -Squirrel Nut Zippers- ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-= ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199701070226.VAA06265@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: New chord format update. Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 21:26:19 -0500 (EST) I have gotten a few messages about the new chord chord proposals and it's clear we're not all on the same page here. To help clear things up I have made a test web page. Please point your web browser to http://www.tmbg.org/test/ There you will find the 3 formats I am proposing we offer. We would want submissions in the ASCII format on that page. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks for all the input. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:39:55 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: New chord format update. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Jan-97 TMBG: New chord format update. by Leo Bicknell@ussodyssey. > I have gotten a few messages about the new chord chord > proposals and it's clear we're not all on the same page here. > To help clear things up I have made a test web page. Please Ok, since I can't view the PDF or Post Script format from Lynx, I have to put in at least twenty votes for the ASCII format. I refuse to watch the entire web become incompatible with lynx, which is all I can use at home. As far as the actual ASCII format goes, I think the example shown is kind of yucky. It's really difficult to read - if the chords are going to correspond to the lyrics, they should be above the line, not inside it. I also think the beat/measure notation can work, too. I really like that because it makes it very clear where the chords come in. that's my $2 (yes, that's right, 2 dollars) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970107040501.008fed68@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 23:05:01 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: New chord format update. At 10:39 PM 1/6/97 -0500, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Ok, since I can't view the PDF or Post Script format from Lynx, I have >to put in at least twenty votes for the ASCII format. I refuse to watch >the entire web become incompatible with lynx, which is all I can use at >home. As far as the actual ASCII format goes, I think the example shown >is kind of yucky. It's really difficult to read - if the chords are >going to correspond to the lyrics, they should be above the line, not >inside it. I also think the beat/measure notation can work, too. I >really like that because it makes it very clear where the chords come in. > >that's my $2 (yes, that's right, 2 dollars) I can sympathize. I actually do use Lynx from time to time myself, which is why I try really hard to make sure the whole site is Lynx friendly. At the same time, I've got about 70 chord files in all sorts of wacko formats that I need to somehow get up on the web site and the tools I have allow me to easily make professional looking chord files, in PDF and PostScript form. We'll see how many people are in the same boat you are in. I am looking for some software that will take the same input and produce nicely formatted ASCII, I may even try to write such software myself. I think this is the first time I wished HTML was actually a page layout language. Thanks for the info. -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970107041556.008ec284@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 23:15:56 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo At 01:35 AM 1/5/97 EST, Tim B Lloyd wrote: >Well, then, I declare myself Supreme High Poo-bah of Collection of >Possible List Names, and Mega-High Grand Java.Ruler of List Name >Voting. Hey, Leo, if you happen to catch this (and I hope you should >since I'm sending a direct copy to you), we're all wondering what your >opinion on the list naming is. Consider yourself lucky. I tried to delete this message without reading it, but opened it instead. I've only been in this job two weeks now and I already need a vacation. :-) Anyway, about the names, shirt designs, et all. I've got to say I don't have much of an opinion one way or another on any of this. I'm interested in portraying a professional image of they might be giants on the net. A "name" for the list would be cool, as long as it is a cool name and can be worked into some well written documents (like the web page on the list, or the message you get when you request info about the list). Same goes for shirts. I'd be first in line to help organize (and buy) shirts if we could come up with a nice looking design and make it work. I think it would be great publicity. I'd be happy to offer space on the web site to sell them. Let's just make them look like something you'd buy at a store, not a fan doodling on the back of a napkin. All in all I'll pretty much go with the flow on all of this stuff. I just want to use whatever influnce I have to make things look as sharp as possible since that is what gets us recognized, and respected. Does that answer your question? :-) -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 23:18:06 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701070418.XAA03658@quasar.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: TMBG: Chords At 10:39 PM 1/6/97 -0500, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Jan-97 TMBG: New chord format >update. by Leo Bicknell@ussodyssey. >> I have gotten a few messages about the new chord chord >> proposals and it's clear we're not all on the same page here. >> To help clear things up I have made a test web page. Please > >Ok, since I can't view the PDF or Post Script format from Lynx, I have >to put in at least twenty votes for the ASCII format. I refuse to watch >the entire web become incompatible with lynx, which is all I can use at >home. As far as the actual ASCII format goes, I think the example shown >is kind of yucky. It's really difficult to read - if the chords are >going to correspond to the lyrics, they should be above the line, not >inside it. I also think the beat/measure notation can work, too. I >really like that because it makes it very clear where the chords come in. > >that's my $2 (yes, that's right, 2 dollars) > > I guess I'm spoiled. I agree with you that the Ascii is yucky. I think that the chords should go above the line too... However, I d/led Adobe tonite, and used it on the chords on the test page. Frankly, they looked fantastic! They really looked far superior to anything done in ascii... that's just my $3.57. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 16:19:13 +1100 > All in all I'll pretty much go with the flow on all of this stuff. >I just want to use whatever influnce I have to make things look as sharp >as possible since that is what gets us recognized, and respected. > > Good form Leo. I, for one, toss my bra to you! 10000ft Septic > ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 01:42:42 -0500 Message-ID: <970107014241_2088616011@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My far out headphones Ever since I have had my Pioneer headphones (over 20 years now), it has this really cool thing about it. For some reason, when the jack is plugged in and the cord coming out of it is at a certain angle, it doesn't give me the full sound. It only gives me certain instruments played up real loud unmixed (as in not at the produced volume levels) and other instruments played at a lower volume in the background. I forgot completely about this as I haven't used the headphones in a while. Not too long ago, I bought Flood on CD as I had it on cassette and I lost it (my friends love to hang on to my tapes; it's their way of getting me to buy CDs!!). So tonight I thought I would listen to Flood on headphone to check out the nice clean sound that only CDs can provide and--big shock--it didn't play quite the way I thought it would and then I remembered the special thing that my headphones do. It would be cool if I could record what comes out of the phones and then put it on a website because you should just hear Birdhouse and Your Racist Friend. I noticed in YRF that there is a distinctive jug sound (as in someone playing the jug by blowing across its mouth) that I never noticed before tonight. Well, I guess I'm really just bragging, but I thought I would share it with my Giant friends. G'night all! Joseph@who.net ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-6 ****************************