Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-64 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 64 Wednesday, 5 March 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station TMBG: BF5 release dates Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Re: TMBG: Then ad in Spin TMBG: Re: happy mutant handbook TMBG: A Brand New Record for '97 non-TMBG: BFF release date Re: TMBG: Re: happy mutant handbook Re: TMBG: A Brand New Record for '97 TMBG: i-p-i TMBG: April Purdue show Re: TMBG: Tour Dates TMBG: Tribute Album Re: TMBG: Then ad in Spin RE: NON-TMBG: Radio Station TMBG: Oklahoma CityTMBG fans (if not interested skip) Re: TMBG: Tribute Album TMBG: NON: TMBG TO SOME, BUT NOT TO ME TMBG: cnbc conan, hats RE: TMBG: Tribute Album TMBG:Simpsons ref Re: non-TMBG: BFF release date TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR Re: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR TMBG: Lots of They crud TMBG: List of Lyrical/Musical References (LONG!) Sorta TMBG: Daria Re: Sorta TMBG: Daria Re: TMBG: April Purdue show Re: TMBG: Lots of They crud TMBG: yippie!!!and thank you Re: TMBG: yippie!!!and thank you TMBG: The Best Dream Ever! TMBG: KU and stuff TMBG: Re: TMBG Re: non-TMBG: BFF release date TMBG: Semi- and Totally TMBG related (sort of) TMBG: info on westminster TMBG: NEED EXTRA IRVING CARD TMBG: KU Re: TMBG: NEED EXTRA IRVING CARD Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 00:13:36 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Message-ID: Indeed we do have The End 107.7 here in Seattle. I wonder if there is something intrinsically "alternative" about "The End" of the radio dial. BTW, what does "alternative" mean anymore? Lately it seems to have meant to the folks at The End playing loud atonal music I don't care for. Eric Fjellanger The telephone was ringing That's when I handed it to Liz She said, "This isn't who it would be, If it wasn't who it is" -Phish, "Wolfman's Brother" ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Date: Wed, 05 Mar 97 04:03:43 PST ---------- | Indeed we do have The End 107.7 here in Seattle. I wonder if there is | something intrinsically "alternative" about "The End" of the radio dial. Not in the middle = not mainstream... out on the edges doing our own thing. Portland's 2 "alternative" stations are also at opposite ends of the dial. Although I loved it best when one of them was AM, rather than FM (AM means alternative music!) | BTW, what does "alternative" mean anymore? Lately it seems to have meant | to the folks at The End playing loud atonal music I don't care for. It means that during the noon hour you have all request lunch blocks, and are most likely to hear clumps of some really good bands. (Hey, Seattleites, what say we keep calling The End over the next week + and requesting TMBG incessantly!!!) It means at 3:30 every day and (if you're awake) from 8am - 12noon you can hear really, really cool music from the 80's that you forgot ever existed (as well as our friends TMBG) And it means you have a station to turn to when you want a short break from NPR. Card idea of the day: TMBG on the radio. (But since they rarely get actually played on the radio, it will be the 2 John's standing and playing on top of a radio. :).... the way the mind works at 3a.m. Michelle "I have always seen twenty-four as a charmed year. It was the year I lost my sense of being young -- but that's another story. It's reassuring to see people deal with being twenty-four better than the way we dealt with it, which is never too well." -- Douglas Coupland "The German Reporter" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970304123742.00a46e48@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 22:37:42 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: BF5 release dates >>>new BF5 album, "Whatever and Ever Amen" - March 18. I'll remind ya. >>18th March!!! Are you sure about that? It's out in the UK today (Monday the >>3rd). Surely we don't get it two weeks before you? >March 11, actually, so one week after you get it. Well, the info I've seen says, 18th March in USA and 14th March in Australia. Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 06:42:10 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Message-ID: > > Not in the middle = not mainstream... out on the edges doing our own thing. > Portland's 2 "alternative" stations are also at opposite ends of the dial. > Although I loved it best when one of them was AM, rather than FM (AM > means alternative music!) > Lansing's "alternative" stations are at 94.9 and 92.1, so I guess we don't exactly fall into this charmed category. However, MSU's student-run station, IMPACT, is at 88.9 and plays Them occasionally. > are most likely to hear clumps of some really good bands. (Hey, > Seattleites, what say we keep calling The End over the next week + and > requesting TMBG incessantly!!!) > Anybody in Lansing up for this idea with the Edge 92.1????? How funny would THAT be? Or Tim and Deb on Buzz Rock 95? Anybody around here.... > It means at 3:30 every day and (if you're awake) from 8am - 12noon you can > hear really, really cool music from the 80's that you forgot ever existed > (as well as our friends TMBG) > Impact's 80's at 8 on Friday nights is the best radio show in the world (not counting Impact's Two Tone Beat). > And it means you have a station to turn to when you want a short break from > NPR. > YEAH!!!! (not that I actually listen to the radio..... but when I do, man...) > Card idea of the day: TMBG on the radio. (But since they rarely get > actually played on the radio, it will be the 2 John's standing and playing > on top of a radio. :).... the way the mind works at 3a.m. > Sounds good to me. Mine would have to be a series idea: TMBG as Bands of the 80's, like DEVO, Wang Chung, Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, etc. Can't you just picture JL singing "Whip It" or "Walk Like an Egyptian"? Or even that one lady who sang "Mickey"? "Oh, Mickey, what a pity you don't understand, you took me by the heart when you took me by the hand..." Love, Elitza (Now the red-headed Spork Princess/Lucky Pickle) ^^^^^^^^^^ (as opposed to formerly mousy brown) ------------------------------ Date: 4 Mar 1997 13:55:43 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc287c$b0d2ec00$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Then ad in Spin > Nusrat is a big fat Indian man...not American Indian, Indian Indian. He > sings traditional Indian music and is an incredibly popular star both in > India as well as North America. Please don't ask me how I know this. > He also did a duet with Eddie Vedder for the soundtrack of Deadman Walking. I think it was called "The Long Road". They also collaborated on each others' albums I believe (although I don't own "No Code", so I don't know for sure). -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Re: happy mutant handbook Date: Tue, 04 Mar 97 07:44:00 P Message-Id: <331C4449@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> Oh yes, i love this book. i have seen it many times and as a result have become a rabid building hacker. i thought that i was the only person on earth that had heard of this book. brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970303093057.38b7ab36@mail.one.net> Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 09:30:57 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: A Brand New Record for '97 I don't know who is keeping up with the news, but here in the Cincinnati area we are in the middle of a flooded river. The roads around my house are going to be blocked off, and school has been called off for like a month, so I will only have my TMBG albums to keep me comfort. Oh my, what a terrible way to spend my time ;) -Goat Boy * ------------------------------ In my CD player now: nothing, absolutely nothing. In my tape player: Some tape filled with DAS and live recordings. * ------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9703041612.AA17585@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:57:48 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: non-TMBG: BFF release date >>>new BF5 album, "Whatever and Ever Amen" - March 18. I'll remind ya. >>> >>18th March!!! Are you sure about that? It's out in the UK today (Monday the >>3rd). Surely we don't get it two weeks before you? > >March 11, actually, so one week after you get it. Where did you hear March 11? I looked it up on the web and saw March 28... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> "Daylight fading Come and waste another year All the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn When we see the early signs that daylight's fading We leave just before it's gone" -Daylight Fading, the Counting Crows ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199703041720.MAA26957@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: happy mutant handbook Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:20:23 -0500 (EST) > > brenden - nednerb writes: > > i thought that i was the only person on earth that had heard of this book. > Far from. For anybody who is interested, Carla Sinclair has her own webpage at: http://www.cyborganic.com/People/carla It has cool NetChick stuff and links to other things that Happy Mutants may find interesting. m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970304133009.00599db8@email.uc.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 13:30:11 -0500 From: Heather Garver Subject: Re: TMBG: A Brand New Record for '97 Lucky, you. Unforunately, since Univ. of Cincinnati is on a hill, and closes only when He!! freezes over, I have to go to classes. Why can't UC be right on the river? Then we might actually get a day off once in a while. But, luckily, the computers here in the lab (some of them) have CD-rom's so, last night, while working on a programming assignment, I listened to a TMBG marathon, every CD except flood. (have it on a cassette tape) I have a programming assignment due at 2 today, and well, it was a royal pain. But, it was all less stressful thanks to TMBG. > I don't know who is keeping up with the news, but here in the Cincinnati >area we are in the middle of a flooded river. The roads around my house >are going to be blocked off, and school has been called off for like a >month, so I will only have my TMBG albums to keep me comfort. Oh my, what >a terrible way to spend my time ;) > >-Goat Boy >------------------------------ >In my CD player now: nothing, absolutely nothing. >In my tape player: Some tape filled with DAS and live recordings. >------------------------------ > > Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:37:53 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: i-p-i Message-ID: for those of you obsessed with palindromes after hearing i palindrome i, or are that way regardless, i've found a site with an insane about of palindromes...here ya go: http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~leo/palindrom/ adios, shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199703041739.MAA29855@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: April Purdue show Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:39:06 -0500 (EST) Here's a message for listies in the general vicinity of Indiana: Just in case I'm not the last to clue in on this, I'll share what I've learned about the forthcoming TMBG show here in West LA. I spoke to a couple of young women at the box office about it, a conversation which went something like this: me: "Do you know anything about a They Might Be Giants show here in April?" blond girl: "Umm, you mean Stone Temple Pilots?" me: "Umm, no." Just then, the other woman working there, having a clue what I was talking about, jumped into the conversation: other girl: "They Might Be Giants? Here [at Purdue]? Not gonna happen!!" I explained that that was pretty much consistent with my worldview, but that the official webpage has a show listed for April 27. She said, "April 27? That's Grand Prix! Somebody must have booked them to play for Grand Prix. That's really cool, and it's probably a free show then, too!" [Grand Prix is a nerdy go-cart race that is held at the end of the spring semester here every year. Given that I've been here for about eight years and didn't pick up on this, you can infer my level of enthusiasm for the event...) So the good news is that it's probably a free outdoor concert, so bring all of your friends. The bad news is that you'll be surrounded by a bunch of drunken Purdue students... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:02:17 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703041802.KAA09708@f12.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour Dates >> Oh sure... They prance all over the midwest speading love and joy, but only >> stop at ONE college in Ohio? And Students Only at that! >> >Uhhhhh...let me rephrase this for you. You meant to say that They >prance >all over the midwest spreading love and joy, but purposefully skip >St. >Louis and most of Ohio just to piss us off. And don't forget Oklahoma. I have yet to see They in concert (Yes, I'm going to the KU show come hell or high water). Is my state not cool enough for Them?:0 Mouse, the scorned Okie from hell Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ########################################################## "The most satisfying thing a man can hold in his hand is ... a ten-pound flashlight." Harry Solomon (my new crush) Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Tribute Album Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:05:05 -0800 *snicker* Okay folks, well, I kinda hinted at something I was doing earlier. Basically, what it was was that I was arranging to get John and John to sing: Why is the world in love again Why are we marching hand in hand Why are the ocean levels rising up It's a brand new record For ninety-seven They Might Be Giants tribute album oooooooooooooh! for the first track on the tribute album. (see http://members.tripod.com/~tmbg_compilation/ for more info about the tribute album, including how to be on it.) They've declined. To quote Them, "It's too cheesy to be on our own tribute album." (: I can't say I disagree. However, they are eager to hear it. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:06:13 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703041806.KAA01436@f25.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Then ad in Spin >At 13:40 3/3/97 -0500, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >>Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan??? What the HELL is THIS about?) > >Nusrat is a big fat Indian man...not American Indian, Indian Indian. He >sings traditional Indian music.... Actually, this guy is Pakistani. (I asked my friend Khurram about this. He would know. He's a genius. He's also from Pakistan.) mouse Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ########################################################## "The most satisfying thing a man can hold in his hand is ... a ten-pound flashlight." Harry Solomon (my new crush) Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Radio Station Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:16:54 -0800 >---------- >From: Ryan Staib[SMTP:97starya@james.hawken.edu] >Sent: Monday, March 03, 1997 11:47 AM >To: ! >Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Radio Station > >On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >** Yesterday (Sunday) morning, at about 9:45 am, >** I was listening to KNDD (107.7, The End) and > > Wait a minute. That's very dubious. Here in Cleveland, we have a >107.9, The End. They bill themselves as Cleveland's only modern rock station, >the only place where you can here new alternative rock. The funny thing is, >any time they play a commercial saying how they have new, different rock, >they proceed to play some old Pearl Jam song or something similar. I don't >get it. Anyone else have a The End in their city, playing 'alternative?' Well, KNDD here *IS* the Seattle alternative scene. They sponsor pretty much everything alternative. Next closest station is KISW, but that's more of a rock/heavy metal station, playing a little alternative. Course, KISW *DOES* have its logo on all the Ticketmaster ticket holder thingies at all the Ticketmaster outlets. And, it DID choose (well, with the help of Samuel Adams and American Music) my favorite alternative band "Life Like Feel" as the winner of the KISW battle of the bands. *shrug* But KNDD's the one that always sponsors TMBG concerts. *grin* Jesse, who actually sings deputy-dog-dog-a-ding-dang-deppa-deppa ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:33:36 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703041833.KAA15837@f4.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Oklahoma CityTMBG fans (if not interested skip) Hiya OKlahoma City or vicinity TMBG fans: This week has been crazy so if you find me rude or offensive I'm sorry. Doesn't 95X suck? Why don't we band together and call them repeatedly until they play some TMBG...I know this is early, but is anyone planning to go to the KU show on 5/3? Wanna meet up somewhere?...Any OKc TMBG fans want to give me some addresses so I can make a sort of "database" so that OKC-oriented posts don't always go to the list? Do I ask enough questions for you? Okay, I'll leave you alone now. Mouse, the poison Okie Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ########################################################## "The most satisfying thing a man can hold in his hand is ... a ten-pound flashlight." Harry Solomon (my new crush) Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703041912.NAA07426@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute Album Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:03:47 -0600 > > *snicker* Okay folks, well, I kinda hinted at something I was doing > earlier. Basically, what it was was that I was arranging to get John > and John to sing: > > Why is the world in love again > Why are we marching hand in hand > Why are the ocean levels rising up > It's a brand new record > For ninety-seven > They Might Be Giants tribute album > oooooooooooooh! > > for the first track on the tribute album. > (see http://members.tripod.com/~tmbg_compilation/ for more > info about the tribute album, including how to be on it.) > > They've declined. To quote Them, "It's too cheesy to be on > our own tribute album." (: > I can't say I disagree. If you were tricky enough, and They said this to you on the phone, you could have recorded their reply and put it on the cd! "Would you sing that for us?" "No. Go away. It's too cheesy to be on our own tribute album!" HAHAHA! Mike "I took off the Intellectuals" Leffel Proud Recorder Of Sounds And Things Totally Unreleted To J.S. Bach ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703041919.NAA07523@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON: TMBG TO SOME, BUT NOT TO ME Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:10:27 -0600 HAMMER DOWN! I was just informed by both the public and my great friend Vince, the Webmaster of my page, that the AKA page of mine (and other junk) can be reached at EITHER: www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html (^^this one gets iffy, so try..) www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html I just sent off my stuff to be scanned in today, so I should get the new crud up by, at the very least, the 12th (since I have to get it sent back and color it)... but don't count your eggs on it.. :) Thanks for all the compliments, and I hope you'll like the new stuff! MIke "A Sad Pun That Reflects A Sadder Mess" Leffel ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:30:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970304143023_1081937520@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: cnbc conan, hats >What time is Conan on CNBC? Sorry about complaining so >much.... 10 pm est. >Just de-lurking for a few to ask if anyone knows where I can >get those cool hats they were selling at the concerts Well, I got mine at a TMBG concert , but you can order them from the info club. sarah :) MSTie#77216 ~ TMBGer #45127 linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "Oh that's so cool!" - My mom seeing the chords on the Guitar video ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Tribute Album Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:46:16 -0800 >---------- >From: Mike Leffel[SMTP:maleffel@ncfcomm.com] >Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 1997 11:03 AM >To: McClusky, Jesse; tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute Album > >If you were tricky enough, and They said this to you on the phone, you >could have recorded their reply and put it on the cd! > >"Would you sing that for us?" > > "No. Go away. It's too cheesy to be on our own tribute album!" > > >HAHAHA! Actually, I don't have any recording equipment here at work. sorry. (: The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331CAF2C.2E6F@mail.netnitco.net> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:24:28 -0800 From: The Cowans Subject: TMBG:Simpsons ref Did anyone else watch the Simpsons last night? There was yet again a sort of TMBG reference. Mr. Burns said he wanted to see Homer "twisting in the wind. Slowly, slowly." just thought it was pretty cool. Blink ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331CAF1E.3641@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:24:14 -0800 From: Gabriel Garcia Marquez Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: Re: non-TMBG: BFF release date >>18th March!!! Are you sure about that? It's out in the UK today (Monday the >>3rd). Surely we don't get it two weeks before you? > >March 11, actually, so one week after you get it. >Where did you hear March 11? I looked it up on the web and saw March 28... Arg. No. It is March 18th in the US. A date that has tormented me for 2 months now for being TOO FAR WAY. Their page says March 18. Their magazine ads say Mar. 18. Ben himself would say March 18, except he doesn't technically know we exist. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:34:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970304163437_-2008370472@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR Hello 41- After wading through a bunch of messages and deleting a lot, I am up to dateish. Best Man- I wonder about this... Was Linnell Flans' best man? And if so, did that prompt Linnell to choose Flans? I wish there was some kind of spy there. This info would be so juicy. Kit Kat- Well, I have the Kit Kat Acoustic thing, and I was wondering if anyone had a date on it... Florida Shows!- Finally, they are coming close to here. I am going to be all the shows in Florida, and if anyone needs a ride or somewhere to be chained up, please tell me. I am more than happy to help a fellow TMBGer JKP NPR- Did any one get the performance of James K. Polk on All Things Considered into a .wav or any other sound form? Please tell me in private if anyone did. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf His educational career began, interestingly enough, in agracultural school, where he majored in animal husbandry untill they caught him at it one day. -Tom Lehrer Currently in the CD Changer- TMBG-Big Blue Butt, Young Fresh Fellows-The Men Who Loved Music, Devo-EZ Listening Disc, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, REM-Monster ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970304220759.00688af8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 17:07:59 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR At 04:34 PM 3/4/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Best Man- I wonder about this... Was Linnell Flans' best man? And if so, >did that prompt Linnell to choose Flans? I wish there was some kind of spy >there. This info would be so juicy. That would be my guess... >Florida Shows!- Finally, they are coming close to here. I am going to be >all the shows in Florida, and if anyone needs a ride or somewhere to be >chained up, please tell me. I am more than happy to help a fellow TMBGer I'll have to try and make it to one of those shows...if They'd come to Clemson University and perform, I'd be a happy little boy... :> >JKP NPR- Did any one get the performance of James K. Polk on All Things >Considered into a .wav or any other sound form? Please tell me in private if >anyone did. I e-mailed the webmaster @ NPR and asked if he could post a WAV or RA or something of it on the npr.org page. I doubt he'll do it, but at least I asked. :> If anyone does have a WAV, please FTP it to ftp.tmbg.org or something so everyone can get a copy... >Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Spiffy! I have a TMBG-friend who goes to UCF too. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 22:09:29 UT From: "William Blacksher" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Lots of They crud I downloaded Greek #3 and Weep Day. Greek #3 was very different, but you could really hear Linny straining to fit the words into the beat of the song. It was a cool idea, but the fact that the Greek words are different lengths than the English words makes it not quite work as well. Linny's accent sounded kinda Spanish. Weep Day.... wow....Why was this not released? Why were They that STUPID as to not realize that that is the best song? I was also listening to I've Got a Match last night. It sounds to me like Linny is singing one of John C.'s songs.The arpeggio sounding thingie sounds like the 3 notes in one of the Fingertips songs. I don't know which one, though. My parents are driving me nuts. My dad is the biggest anti-They person I know. He said that Persephone has that pickaxe because she's going to hit herself in the head with it after she listens to the album. Last night, i was listening to Lincoln. He was in the room next to mine. I guess I had it a little too loud because I walked in there to talk to him and he said (this is an actual quote), "That sucks! That shit has no discernable beat. It was made by idiots. Don't torture me with that crap. Shut your door and you can play it as much as you want to." Both my parents should be standing with those kids on the inside of John Henry. That story was so cute! Little kids are so funny. I love reading their stuff. My mom's a reading teacher, so a lot of that is laying around and I read it whenever I can. I've also read every children's book ever read, and I can talk about kid's book authors forever. I just reread this. I have no life. The picture on the WBER website is really scary. Linny looks like he is really tired and wired. I never knew that he had red hair. All the pictures I have are too blurry to tell, or they're in black and white. Linny's hair also looks like this guy at my school's hair. That's kinda scary. There is only one station here in St. Louis that plays anything They sing. 105.7 usually plays lots of other stuff that sucks in between the times they play good stuff like Them, so you have to listen to lots of nasty stuff for about 2 years before you hear anyting good. -Laura the Left-Handed Geek AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -me, in my no-antihistamines-for-four-whole-days-and-I'm-covered-in-hives-everywhere-and- I'm-almost-out-of-anti-itch-cream-agony (I even have hives on my feet and my forehead, not to mention my legs,arms, back, neck, hands, stomach, and lots of other places) AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -me when I found out that Keith Bearden, who I rent my viola from, is millins of dollars on debt, closed his shop, emptied his shop of all his records, fled to Tokyo to avoid a grand jury investigation and the FBI, stole millions of dollars worth of nice violins, and opened a shop in Tokyo. CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -me when I realized that Keith Bearden took his records off to Tokyo and I still have his viola, which happens to be the viola I have had for several years and I love and I would cry if it got taken away from me or broken. Oh, yeah! I almost kneeled on Lincoln last night. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:58:35 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199703042258.RAA26877@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: List of Lyrical/Musical References (LONG!) Hello all, This message is to announce my new webpage dedicated to the compilation of musical references from TMBG songs that I've been working on. For this one time only I'm posting the text version here in order to get reactions, comments, and hopefully to generate new additions (no, not New Edition) and maybe even some interesting list discussion. The HTML version is nicer to look at and has some sound files for your enjoyment (which will change now and then as I get time to sample more songs). The URL is: http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~coon/allusion.html If you don't want to do all of that typing, you can also just go to my practically non-existent main page, which also links to my soon-to-be updated TMBG recordings trade page (shameless plug;-) by pointing your browser at: http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~coon/ And now, without further ado, here is my list of TMBG Musical and Lyrical Allusions and References (be sure to visit the webpage, too!): ("Everything Right is Wrong Again") ("Everything Old is New Again") weasel overcome ("We Shall Overcome") ("Everything Right is Wrong Again") sadly the cross-eyed bear... Gladly The Cross I'd Bear ("Hide Away Folk Family") (hymn) ("Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes") Nothing's gonna change my world ("Across the Universe," the Beatles) I hope that I get old before I die I hope I die before I get old ("My Generation," The Who) (instrumental break from "Rhythm ("Powerhouse", by Raymond Scott) Section Want Ad") It's like a whirlpool, and I'm so dizzy, my head is spinnin' it never ends like a whirlpool, it never ends (Ana Ng) ("Dizzy," Tommy Roe [1969]) Eighty dolls yelling, ("It's a Small World") "Small girl after all" (Ana Ng) This is the spawning of the cage This is the dawning of the Age and aquarium of Aquarius ("Cage And Aquarium") ("Aquarius", from _Hair_, recorded by The 5th Dimension [1969]) This good luck charm hanging off of I want a good luck charm hanging off of my arm was left here by the police my arm... ("Birds Fly") ("Good Luck Charm," Elvis [1962]) When this grey world crumbles like Someone left the cake out in the rain, a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope and I don't think that I can take it, that I'll never see that recipe again 'cause it took so long to bake it, and ("It's Not My Birthday") I'll never have that recipe again ("MacArthur Park," Richard Harris [1968]) A claw is a claw A horse is a horse of course, of course, and nobody has seen a talking claw, and no one has heard of a talking horse, unless that claw unless of course that talking horse is is the famous Mr. Klaw the famous Mr. Ed ("Mr. Klaw") (theme from Mr. Ed TV show) Should have changed that stupid lock, I should have changed that stupid lock, should have thrown away the key I should have made you leave your key No, no not I, I will survive, [...] right down here on my knees No, no, not I, I will survive... ("The Biggest One") ("I Will Survive," recorded by Gloria Gaynor [1979], and a host of others) Particle man, particle man, Spider Man, Spider Man, doing the things a particle can does whatever a spider can... ("Particle Man") (theme from Spider Man TV cartoon) Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love (instrumental with same name by the Mahavishnu Orchestra) We Want A Rock ("I Wanna Rock," by Twisted Sister [1984]) If I were a carpenter... ("If I Were A Carpenter," recorded by ("We Want A Rock") Bobby Darin [1966]) In the spaceship, the silver In the jungle, the quiet jungle, spaceship, the lion... the lion sleeps tonight ("The Guitar") ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight," The Tokens [1961]) I'd like to thank you for putting ("Thank You (Falettin' Me Be me back in my snail shell... Mice Elf Again)," Sly and the ("Snail Shell") Family Stone [1970]) ("O, Do Not Forsake Me") Do not forsake me, oh my darling ("High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)," Tex Ritter [1952]) Precious and few are the Precious and few are the moments that you and your moments we two can share own worst enemy share ("Precious And Few," Climax [1972]) ("Your Own Worst Enemy") I want to raise my freak flag... I feel like letting my freak flag fly... ("How Can I Sing Like A Girl?") ("Almost Cut My Hair," from Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's _Deja Vu_) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well, that's it so far. Be sure to let me know what you think! thanks, m@t ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:14:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970304181432_-1506932250@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Sorta TMBG: Daria Who here saw Daria yesterday? It was really cool. In one school scene, they were learning about Manifest Destiny! No mention of JKP though. Oh well... ~Dan E. Boy TMBG# 39460 (and they spell my name: Danial) Haven't gotten my MST3K yet... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331CCD82.4914@swbell.net> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 17:33:54 -0800 From: Gabriel Garcia Marquez Organization: Jesus for Jews Subject: Re: Sorta TMBG: Daria >Who here saw Daria yesterday? It was really cool. In one school scene, they were learning about Manifest Destiny! No mention of JKP though. Oh well... Strangely enough, there was this doctrine called manifest destiny that existed many many years before TMBG put it into a song! Daria has to be the most cynical, sarcastic show I've ever seen. It captures high school pretty well. josh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:32:35 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: April Purdue show Message-ID: On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Matthew Coon wrote: > [Grand Prix is a nerdy go-cart race that is held at the end of the spring > semester here every year. Given that I've been here for about eight years > and didn't pick up on this, you can infer my level of enthusiasm for the > event...) > Oh, what fun! Do you know what other bands may be playing there? > So the good news is that it's probably a free outdoor concert, so bring all > of your friends. The bad news is that you'll be surrounded by a bunch of > drunken Purdue students... > As opposed to what? :) sorry...I couldn't resist... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 20:01 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Lots of They crud > The picture on the WBER website is really scary. Linny looks like he is >really tired and wired. I never knew that he had red hair. All the pictures I >have are too blurry to tell, or they're in black and white. Linny's hair also >looks like this guy at my school's hair. That's kinda scary. His hair just looked very, um, *big* to me. And red. But really, it's defying gravity in that picture. Just sort of floating above his head... Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:35:23 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: TMBG: yippie!!!and thank you i would like to give a mighty large *THANK YOU* for stopping with the danged cards...perhaps you haven't stopped...maybe it's just a prolonged break... but anyway...does anyone know of a cheaper way to get any of the tmbg singles(besides wdtss) than bidding for drylung's... --shiner, shinedog, the illuminated k9... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:51:27 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: yippie!!!and thank you Message-ID: > but anyway...does anyone know of a cheaper way to get any of the tmbg > singles(besides wdtss) than bidding for drylung's... yep--go to every store you can find...i've found some fairly rare cds (such as dont lets start and they'll need a crane) by just walking into the store...and i see the others (that i already have) all the time.. shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:07:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: The Best Dream Ever! Message-ID: I had this dream last night, and I'm starting to think that it was one of the Coolest Dreams Ever... Anyhoo, I dreamed that I was watching MTV, and it was a commercial for Monopuff's new album. Anyway, it was just Flansy and...Andy Richter! Anyhoo, Flansy is just standing with a guitar, strummin' and stylin', but he was wearing odd glasses, tear-drop shaped. The background was all white, and there were empty instruments behind them. Andy was doing a voice over, saying that "if the talk show gig fell through, I could always sing in a rock and roll band..." He then wandered away from his microphone next to Flans and started messing with the instruments, knocking over this huge saxaphone, then Flans followed, righting the things he knocked over...As I was watching it in my dream, I was thinking, "this is the Coolest Commercial Ever Made, fer sure!" then I woke up... Ok, so maybe this was the Coolest Dream Ever to me, but that would be a cool commercial anyway, I think. Anyway, I woke up and I was in an extremely good mood, and had to, of course, listen to Monopuff. The music Flansy was playing in the dream was super cool, lots of bass, and it makes me wish for the new Monopuff album. Andy! Flansy! Yes! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: KU and stuff Message-ID: <19970304.193643.18270.27.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 21:37:53 EST Hey all.... i just have one thing ot say: wuit your complaining about the closest show to me is a four hour drive and what not because the closest show to me is 9-10 hours and yes, me being the giant-head that i am, i am going to take this journey and go despite the fact of it being such a long and boring drive from denver to KU. anyone else planning on going to the KU show please e-mail me as i am trying to get a group of us listers to meet up. No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) My THEY ring will definatley be finished by the time i get to the show so all you going to the KU show can see it =) (and be jealous!) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703050310.AA18109@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:10:28 -0500 (EST) > > but anyway...does anyone know of a cheaper way to get any of the tmbg > > singles(besides wdtss) than bidding for drylung's... > > yep--go to every store you can find...i've found some fairly rare cds > (such as dont lets start and they'll need a crane) by just walking into > the store...and i see the others (that i already have) all the time.. > > shoehorn with teeth > mike For anyone who cares, the Sound Garden in baltimore got in a used Guitar single and a used Back to Skull as well as used Misc. T and Apollo 18. They also have about 15 new singles and albums as per normal. They didn't get any new 7" WDTSS? or O'Tannenbaum, I cleared them out last time ;) Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:17:11 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: BFF release date Message-ID: > >Where did you hear March 11? I looked it up on the web and saw March 28... > > Arg. No. It is March 18th in the US. A date that has tormented me for > 2 months now for being TOO FAR WAY. Their page says March 18. Their > magazine ads say Mar. 18. Ben himself would say March 18, except he > doesn't technically know we exist. > Well, I would think that Ben KNOWS we exist, it's a matter of whether or not he CARES. Actually, when I saw BFF play in Cincinnati last year, Ben hugged a friend of mine and we chatted with all three of them for a while. So at least he knows that I exist....hahahah. Anyway, I could go into more detail, but I could get hurt by those who expect some of these posts to be on-topic. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:24:26 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Semi- and Totally TMBG related (sort of) Message-Id: Hey all, it's Cory again. Wow, do I lurk! Not that I really mean to, but I just have less to say and say it less often! Anyway, for all you graphics-lovin' folk out there (and non-graphics-lovin' folk, I suppose), I've created a They Might Be Giants logo that looks the exact same upside-down and right-side-up. (These things are call "ambigrams".) It's at the bottom of the page, but it's big. I also have a list of the twelve months in which the first six look like the last six when turned upside-down! The address is: http://paul.spu.edu/~sfeil/ambigrams.html And yes sir, I'm a graphics magic! Hope you all like it, Cory ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:46:13 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: TMBG: info on westminster can anybody give me any info on the western maryland college tmbg show?... such as:is it open to the public, have the tickets sold out already, and if not how do i get tickets?...thanx.. shiner, shinedog the illuminated canine... in my cd player... the torn and shredded remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:47:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970304214707_-803180828@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NEED EXTRA IRVING CARD for those who went to irving plaza, you might know they were handing out cards. the card said "take this into tower records at 4th and broadway when you buy Then:The Early Years for a tmbg nostalgia pack with cool old crap!" this pack comes with the video compilation (old one), stickers, etc. i have 2 cards. one for me, and another friend of mine, but my friend Matt desperatly needs one. IF ANYONE HAS AN EXTRA PLEASE E-MAIL ME!!!!! thanks, Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331D0F46.5C1F@ou.edu> Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 00:14:30 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: KU Does anyone know who else is playing Kansas May 3rd? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that an art history final isn't that important.. (there's always Sunday to study, right?) He for some reason wants to know other bands before he decides! Sheesh! You'd think he wasn't crazily addicted to TMBG....hmm? heather who just might need a new boyfriend ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703050617.BAA21030@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: NEED EXTRA IRVING CARD Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 01:30:43 -0500 > for those who went to irving plaza, you might know they were handing out > cards. the card said "take this into tower records at 4th and broadway when > you buy Then:The Early Years for a tmbg nostalgia pack with cool old crap!" > this pack comes with the video compilation (old one), stickers, etc. i have 2 > cards. one for me, and another friend of mine, but my friend Matt desperatly > needs one. > IF ANYONE HAS AN EXTRA PLEASE E-MAIL ME!!!!! tell me why someone should send one to your friend when they could send one to me... especially when your friend knows several people who have these wondrous cards, and I know not one person. ;> ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-64 *****************************