Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-66 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 66 Friday, 7 March 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Stereo Review Review TMBG: new stuff TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. TMBG: kitkat date Re:Semi-TMBG: Flan Re: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. RE: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike TMBG: NON-TMBG - MST3k Sorta-TMBG: Creme Caramel (flan) TMBG: NON-TMBG - MST3k RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five TMBG: Re: Tmbg: CONTEST!! TMBG: lucky new yorkers RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. TMBG: parents and tmbg TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids TMBG: non tmbg..college kids please read!!!! Re: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids Re: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps Re: TMBG: parents and tmbg Re: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps TMBG: OMLT Results (non)TMBG: Jabberwocky Re: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR Re: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids TMBG: concerts TMBG: Western Maryland College TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Request for St. Pete info TMBG: Contest TMBG: We're getting old... TMBG: don't have those addy's Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199703060748.BAA21310@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Stereo Review Review Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:39:34 -0600 > Hello my fellow Giantheads > > Here's what the crappy magazine "Stereo Review" has to say about Factory > Showroom: > > "When a band starts an album today with a disco parody, it's running > short on ideas. DISCO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? SEXXY!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??! Mike "Those bastards wouldn't know good music if they wrote a good magazine" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 03:23:06 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: TMBG: new stuff Message-ID: Well, thanks to everyone's best friend Matt James, I now not only have the 7" of WDTSS (helping to fulfill the completist side of me) but also a 7" by Eugene Chadbourne called Two Cuts By...featuring I Cut The Wrong Man and They Cut Off Mama's Arms. As we all know Mr. Chadbourne is responsible for the phoned-in guitar solo on Absolutely Bill's Mood. Since I have not received a Hello CD in months and months, I do not know if these two songs are on the Chadbourne EP but, if you ever get a chance to hear I Cut The Wrong Man, it's worth it. The cover art alone is enough to justify owning it. Thank you Matt James. On an unrelated note, feel free to check out the two articles of mine, as well as the stuff by everyone else, at www.journalx.com. Well, that's it. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:39:44 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. Message-ID: While waiting with baited breath (or at least faintly chocolate breath) for the latest version of the TMBG digest, I was perusing a Supergirl comic book. (Don't blame me, my fiancee bought it.) In this book was a mention of a dessert- flan. After this, since it was nowhere near 2am (when the digest shows up), I was thumbing through the Nitpicker's Guide to Deep Space Nine (also my fiancee's fault) and,for some odd reason, the following trivia question caught my eye: What is O'Brien's favorite dessert? The answer? Also Flan. Now, my interest is peaked. I am wondering if Flans eats flan. Is it, in fact, Flantastic? Did his ancestors, many years ago, have this dessert, and say, "Hey, this is a nifty keen dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. Hell, can't be worse than tofu, broccoli and peanuts in a warm peanut sauce.. (It can't. Trust me. I've eaten..er, well, tried to eat..this.) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:12:50 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: kitkat date Message-ID: I have the KitKat thing too. The station I work for received their copy of the show on 1/23/97 and played it on 1/29/97. The only thing I can base on when the show was recorded was it was done sometime after the Factory Showroom CD was available to radio stations. Based on when WTSR got theirs, it was recorded sometime after 9/12/96. Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "In the soil of leadership sprout the seeds of immortality." Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order "I am currently reading 'How To Operate A Computer' by Gordell Huxley-Smithen III. It's very informative and I am currently on Chapter 8 - The On Button". John Popper * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:21:58 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re:Semi-TMBG: Flan Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Beth Connell wrote: ** dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS ** Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. ** Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. You've never had Flan??? Well, ok, I hadn't had it before 6 months ago, but I'm allowed to act really jaded now if I want. :) Get thyself to a Mexican-type restaurant and have some. The Flan I had (I was told) was very good, but I think it's really good in general. It's not really yellow, and it's not cake. It's sort of the consistency of something halfway between jello and ice cream, but it tastes really good. Flansburgh = Town of Flan? :) That would be cool. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:08:26 -0500 (EST) From: Dan McNevin Subject: Re: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. Message-ID: > dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS > Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. > Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. i had to in fact make flan for my junior year spanish class in high schol, it's like this egg pudding thing, i can't quite remember exactly how to make it, but i know it has a lot to do with eggs, and it tastes really disgusting... but that's my opinion.. dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:13:33 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps Message-ID: from jennifer (j.l): > Do only people who scored above a 700 on their verbal SATs have > "favorite words"? Nope, 'cause I never took the SATs, but I do have favorite words. My current favorite is "snickersnacking" which is not actually a real word, but from the poem "Jabberwock" by someone who escapes my mind right now. Sometimes, though, a very common word will, in my mind, look extremely foreign. This happens every once in a while and the other day, I was thinking about how "John" looked really wrong. But it looks normal now :) from our dear Evan Chakroff: > Oh sure... They prance all over the midwest speading love and joy, but > only stop at ONE college in Ohio? And Students Only at that! Ah, but you seem to forget that They were here four previous times on this tour! I know that doesn't help you (or me for that matter) right now, but it's not like They're just ignoring us like so many other states out there. from guess who: > Mike "A Sad Pun That Reflects A Sadder Mess" Leffel When I read this the first time, I thought it said "A Sun Pad That...." I deleted the message thinking it had something to do with WDTSS? Then I went back and re-read it the right way. Wow, that's what reading 275+ list messages at one time will do to you! another little tidbit from Matt James: > How non-mainstream is it? Most radio stations can only go so far > non-mainstream before they start losing money or so it seems. > Do they play Bavarian mountain bugle horn music? ;) I just couldn't let that one go by without being seen again :) Where do you come up with this stuff, Matt??? Rob's contest: > Ok, My 4 digit bike lock has TMBG signifigance. If you can tell me what > number is, you get a prize. Is it 8624? (that's TMBG on a phone pad) Ok and now on to other stuff..... I"m looking for some shows to trade for, and I wonder if anyone even taped them. Anyhow, here's what I'd like: 3/15?/95 - John Henry show in Chicago 5/19/96 - Bogart's, Cincinnati, OH 12/3/96 - Newport, Columbus, OH 12/4/96 - Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, OH If anyone has any of these, please email me :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org My girlfriend is mad at me because I told her she looks sexy with black fingernails. Now she thinks I slammed the car door on them on purpose. -- Emo Phillips ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703061530.AA03186@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:30:39 -0500 (EST) > The answer? Also Flan. Now, my interest is peaked. I am wondering if > Flans eats flan. Is it, in fact, Flantastic? Did his ancestors, many > years ago, have this dessert, and say, "Hey, this is a nifty keen > dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS > Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. > Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. > Hell, can't be worse than tofu, broccoli and peanuts in a warm peanut sauce.. > (It can't. Trust me. I've eaten..er, well, tried to eat..this.) > Beth Hi Beth, I believe flan is a desert from Spain (or of spanish heritage). I personally think it is absolutely terrible, but I know some of ppl who like it. Of course, I hate cheese cake too which seems to be another rich dessert like flan if I remember correctly. It seemed to be very weet, sorta like drinking a coke with triple the syrup ;) Your description of its appearance is pretty accurate, but it's not quite cake, more like semi-hardened pudding, I guess. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Robyn Hitchcock- 8x10, Baltimore 3/5 (maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:37:09 -0800 >---------- >From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com[SMTP:jenifer.stewart@juno.com] >Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 1997 8:08 PM >To: NitpickR@aol.com >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR > > >I wonder where >they're honeymooning now...... > >Jen I'd be pretty upset if I were Linnell.... Having to cut his honeymoon short because he's got a set of concerts (one every day for several days!) starting this Sunday. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:53:09 -0800 >---------- >From: Beth Connell[SMTP:ae371@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU] >Sent: Thursday, March 06, 1997 1:39 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. > > >While waiting with baited breath (or at least faintly chocolate breath) >for the latest version of the TMBG digest, I was perusing a Supergirl >comic book. (Don't blame me, my fiancee bought it.) In this book was a >mention of a dessert- flan. After this, since it was nowhere near 2am >(when the digest shows up), I was thumbing through the Nitpicker's Guide >to Deep Space Nine (also my fiancee's fault) and,for some odd reason, the >following trivia question caught my eye: What is O'Brien's favorite dessert? >The answer? Also Flan. Now, my interest is peaked. I am wondering if >Flans eats flan. Is it, in fact, Flantastic? Did his ancestors, many >years ago, have this dessert, and say, "Hey, this is a nifty keen >dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS >Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. >Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. >Hell, can't be worse than tofu, broccoli and peanuts in a warm peanut sauce.. >(It can't. Trust me. I've eaten..er, well, tried to eat..this.) >Beth Actually, flan is quite good. If I recall, it's a type of Mediterranean pastry desert. I'd have to check my recipe though. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970306170839.56f7824c@bcc-la.balboacapital.com> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 09:08:39 -0800 From: "Marc A. Terry" Subject: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike For those interested, "Jabberwocky" was written by Lewis Carroll. >>From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Thu Mar 6 14:38:45 1997 >Return-Path: >Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:13:33 -0500 (EST) >From: Amy Greenlese >To: They Might have a mailing list >Subject: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Reply-To: Amy Greenlese > >from jennifer (j.l): >> Do only people who scored above a 700 on their verbal SATs have >> "favorite words"? >Nope, 'cause I never took the SATs, but I do have favorite words. My >current favorite is "snickersnacking" which is not actually a real word, >but from the poem "Jabberwock" by someone who escapes my mind right now. >Sometimes, though, a very common word will, in my mind, look extremely >foreign. This happens every once in a while and the other day, I was >thinking about how "John" looked really wrong. But it looks normal now :) > >from our dear Evan Chakroff: >> Oh sure... They prance all over the midwest speading love and joy, but >> only stop at ONE college in Ohio? And Students Only at that! >Ah, but you seem to forget that They were here four previous times on this >tour! I know that doesn't help you (or me for that matter) right now, but >it's not like They're just ignoring us like so many other states out >there. > >from guess who: >> Mike "A Sad Pun That Reflects A Sadder Mess" Leffel >When I read this the first time, I thought it said "A Sun Pad That...." I >deleted the message thinking it had something to do with WDTSS? Then I >went back and re-read it the right way. Wow, that's what reading 275+ >list messages at one time will do to you! > >another little tidbit from Matt James: >> How non-mainstream is it? Most radio stations can only go so far >> non-mainstream before they start losing money or so it seems. >> Do they play Bavarian mountain bugle horn music? ;) >I just couldn't let that one go by without being seen again :) Where do >you come up with this stuff, Matt??? > >Rob's contest: >> Ok, My 4 digit bike lock has TMBG signifigance. If you can tell me what >> number is, you get a prize. >Is it 8624? (that's TMBG on a phone pad) > >Ok and now on to other stuff..... >I"m looking for some shows to trade for, and I wonder if anyone even taped >them. Anyhow, here's what I'd like: >3/15?/95 - John Henry show in Chicago >5/19/96 - Bogart's, Cincinnati, OH >12/3/96 - Newport, Columbus, OH >12/4/96 - Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, OH >If anyone has any of these, please email me :) > >Amy :) >cowtown@tmbg.org >My girlfriend is mad at me because I told her she looks sexy with black >fingernails. Now she thinks I slammed the car door on them on purpose. >-- Emo Phillips > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG - MST3k Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:08:56 -0800 Something alot of you may like... It's at the mst3k site, specifically at http://www.scifi.com/screengrab/startcaption.cgi Basically, it takes a frame from the sci-fi channel every 60 seconds or so, and lets you comment on it. The comment gallery lists the last 12 or so comments with their pictures. (: It's really quite fun. Jesse (Thought) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703061618.LAA14085@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 11:17 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Sorta-TMBG: Creme Caramel (flan) Well, I couldn't help it. Not 5 minutes after I read all the speculative messages about what flan may or may not be, I went to rec.food.recipes and saw this! Delete if you don't care to get into a recipe-swapping coffee klatsch. By the way, although this is not explained in the recipe, the main difference between creme caramel and flan is that the former is usually served in individual cuppies and the latter is served in one large container and slices are cut to serve. I think. Let's speak no more of the whole sordid affair. -jennifer - - The original note follows - - From: LeiG@aol.com Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes Subject: Creme Caramel (flan) CREME CARAMEL (Flan) source: Good Housekeeping sugar 5 eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 3 cups milk 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Butter eight 6 oz custard cups or ramekins. In small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar, stirring till it is a light brown syrup. Pour syrup into buttered cups. Place cups in shallow baking pan for easy handling. Preheat oven to 300 deg F. In large bowl with mixer at low speed, beat eggs, salt and 1/2 cup sugar until lemon coloured. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla extract. Pour mixture in cups. Put hot water in pan around ramekins to within 1 inch of top of cups. Bake 1 hour until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate. with knife loosen custard from cups and invert onto dessert dishes, letting syrup run down sides onto dish. Serves 8 Baked Custard: Prepare as for Flan (above) but omit making syrup in and before baking sprinkle with ground nutmeg ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG - MST3k Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:09:59 -0800 Oh, I bring it up on here cause someone just mentioned "What's that blue thing... doing here?" (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970306172055.211fcdd8@bcc-la.balboacapital.com> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 09:20:55 -0800 From: "Marc A. Terry" Subject: RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness What's wrong with you people? Everyone knows flan is Mexican. And I'm sure JF wouldn't eat flan any more than Beth Connell would be in the Connells. She's not, is she? Marc >>From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Thu Mar 6 16:12:41 1997 >Return-Path: >From: "McClusky, Jesse" >To: "'tmbg-list@tmbg.org'" , > "'Beth Connell'" > >Subject: RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. >Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:53:09 -0800 >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Reply-To: "McClusky, Jesse" > >>---------- >>From: Beth Connell[SMTP:ae371@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU] >>Sent: Thursday, March 06, 1997 1:39 AM >>To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >>Subject: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. >> >> >>While waiting with baited breath (or at least faintly chocolate breath) >>for the latest version of the TMBG digest, I was perusing a Supergirl >>comic book. (Don't blame me, my fiancee bought it.) In this book was a >>mention of a dessert- flan. After this, since it was nowhere near 2am >>(when the digest shows up), I was thumbing through the Nitpicker's Guide >>to Deep Space Nine (also my fiancee's fault) and,for some odd reason, the >>following trivia question caught my eye: What is O'Brien's favorite dessert? >>The answer? Also Flan. Now, my interest is peaked. I am wondering if >>Flans eats flan. Is it, in fact, Flantastic? Did his ancestors, many >>years ago, have this dessert, and say, "Hey, this is a nifty keen >>dessert. Let's change our name to Flan something, huh?" What, in fact, IS >>Flan? All I know is that it was yellow and kinda cake like in the comic book. >>Anyone know? Tell me. Or I might just have to start the Great Flan hunt. >>Hell, can't be worse than tofu, broccoli and peanuts in a warm peanut sauce.. >>(It can't. Trust me. I've eaten..er, well, tried to eat..this.) >>Beth > > >Actually, flan is quite good. If I recall, it's a type of Mediterranean >pastry >desert. I'd have to check my recipe though. (: > >Jesse > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:12:40 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Message-ID: (OK, I'll try this again for the third time...for some reason, my stuff isn't getting through to the list. If this works, someone *please* let me know it went through....thanks!) I know there are a bunch of BFF fans on here, so I was wondering if any of you are on the BFF mailing list. How much mail do you usually get from it? I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be really stupid to subscribe to a second list, considering how much mail I get from this one (Not that I'm complaining...if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have stuck around for the last two years. :) . Is it available in digest form? E-mail me privately with the scoop on this, as I don't want to clutter up the list with it any more than I have to. Sorry! --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:54:59 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: Tmbg: CONTEST!! Message-ID: <69149092671@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU> How many guesses do i get? Well, here they are: 1) 1844 James K. Polk. 2) 3232 32 Footsteps 3) 1818 Apollo 18 There they are. I hope at least one of them is right! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970306182934.0069c424@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 10:29:34 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: lucky new yorkers >Wait a moment..if anyone gets the video comp and finds that they have it >already, and wants to get rid of the extra one, e-mail me!!!! (please) :) Why stop there? If anyone has an extra one of these wondrous nostalgia packs, PLEASE give it to me! C'mon, you New Yorkers, it's just not faaaaiiiiiirrrrrr! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:35:57 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: RE: TMBG: Flan, a semi-related TMBG topic with some silliness added.. Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Marc A. Terry wrote: > What's wrong with you people? Everyone knows flan is Mexican. And I'm sure > JF wouldn't eat flan any more than Beth Connell would be in the Connells. > She's not, is she? > Well, not so much! A friend and I once got in a small disagreement about this because I said flan was a pastry desert, a crust with a creme filling with fruit (pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, usually) spread out on top. She said it was a custard. We both thought the other was out of their mind, but we looked it up in the dictionary and we were both right. There is a delicatessan in Indianapolis called Shapiros (I highly recommend it if yer in the area!) that serves flan, the fruit-n-pastry version, and their thing is that they are a kosher-style New York deli, and seeing that New York has the highest Jewish population, and a ton of 'em live in Brookly, and Flansy's from Brookly, then I think its safe to conclude that Flans, sometime in his life, or ancestry, has probably eaten flan. Thank you and good day! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:35:31 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970306133204.4b7f8ea6@mail.wm.edu> From: Melissa McKelvey Subject: TMBG: parents and tmbg > >>Both my parents should be standing with those kids on the >>inside of John Henry. >Lol, wow! What music do your parents find "With a discernable beat"? :D My >mom likes They... Not *likes likes*, but she likes 'em. I got her into BNL, >and now she listens to them more than *I* do! Wow! I can't fathom having parents that HATE TMBG. My dad actually really likes them...it's cute when he, the 48 yr. old, starts singing "Dinner Bell" in the car because he's got TMBG in the stereo. Or when he starts complaining about how much he hates "Kiss Me, Son of God" because my sisters and I choose to sing it at random. But I think he really loves all of the historical references they have such an affinity for...such as JKP or playing at the Edison Lab. And it's so much fun to be singing along to TMBG with your dad. :) I feel genuinely bad for the people out there with disapproving parents...would they rather have you listening to death metal or what? :) Just my thoughts... -Melissa ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:44:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970306134413_-1037686465@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids >How non-mainstream is it? Most radio stations can only go >so far non-mainstream before they start losing money or so >it seems. Do they play Bavarian mountain bugle horn music? ;) No... :) Actually they're non profit anyways. ;) Sure, they play a couple duds like "Korn", and U2... But they do play good stuff.. TMBG, BNL, Sonic Youth, Orbital, Tragically Hip, Kate Bush, Stereolab, Stereo MC's, Single Gun Theory, Pizzicato 5, Combustible Edison, St Etienne, Meryn Cadell, Information Society, Beautiful South, Moxy Fruvous, XTC, Pet Shop Boys, Bjork, Sugarcubes, etc..And they also play more popular stuff like REM, Weezer, Beck, Cardigans, Tori Amos, No Doubt, etc. It's really split in half. But they don't play commercials! :D >Ok, My 4 digit bike lock has TMBG signifigance. If you can tell >me what number is, you get a prize. 8747? 4710? 3232? Man, I know there's lots of #'s in their songs, but that's all I can think of (but I'm sure there's something else). I dunno - the track #'s of your fave songs? :) >this pack comes with the video compilation (old one) As opposed to....? And if anyone gets their pack, and wants to trade it for bootlegs... :) >I can picture it now: Linnell is on stage and says "here is a >song I wrote for my little girl. I sing it to her every night >before she goes to bed." :) hee hee.. this reminds me of the BNL. Ed and Steve (both of the lead singert/guitar players) both have a little kid. And at one of the concerts I was at, Ed was telling us stories about his daughter. :) She saw his video on tv, pointed and said "Dada!" and he was so happy, and then Seal came on, and she did the same thing, and he got all upset. :) sarah, smilie-overkill professional. :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html MSTie#77126 ~ TMBGer#45127 ~ KITHer extrodinaire ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331F18F8.12FB@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 13:20:24 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: non tmbg..college kids please read!!!! Hey all you college kids! (especially KUs) I just realized in a moment of truth that I want to major in illustration. (childrens books) The problem? OU doesn't offer a degree in illustration! Most colleges have no web page for Art (KU is one) and I need to know if there are any around that do.. and fast... transfering is mondo work and I have to act fast or I'll be spending another useless year here. thanks in advance for all your help!! heather ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:27:35 -0500 (EST) From: Elizabeth McGinley Subject: Re: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids Message-ID: sarah's smile: 5 :) :) :) :) :) liz ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703061941.AA03532@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:41:09 -0500 (EST) > >How non-mainstream is it? Most radio stations can only go > >so far non-mainstream before they start losing money or so > >it seems. Do they play Bavarian mountain bugle horn music? ;) > No... :) Actually they're non profit anyways. ;) Sure, they play a couple > duds like "Korn", and U2... But they do play good stuff.. TMBG, BNL, Sonic > Youth, Orbital, Tragically Hip, Kate Bush, Stereolab, Stereo MC's, Single Gun > Theory, Pizzicato 5, Combustible Edison, St Etienne, Meryn Cadell, > Information Society, Beautiful South, Moxy Fruvous, XTC, Pet Shop Boys, > Bjork, Sugarcubes, etc..And they also play more popular stuff like REM, > Weezer, Beck, Cardigans, Tori Amos, No Doubt, etc. It's really split in half. > But they don't play commercials! :D Wow, I didn't know this type of station existed? All the ones around here either make money, or if they get contributions they still always have commercials. It does seem like it's a pretty "hip" station, if I may borrow the word. HFS stopped playing the Pet shop boys, Beautiful South, XTC, etc when they went the way of the 90s grunge (well partially, and of course they play them during the Flashback Cafe). Someone did tell me that WHFS was the largest alternative radio station in the United States, though... > > >Ok, My 4 digit bike lock has TMBG signifigance. If you can tell > >me what number is, you get a prize. > 8747? 4710? 3232? Man, I know there's lots of #'s in their songs, but that's > all I can think of (but I'm sure there's something else). I dunno - the track > #'s of your fave songs? :) how about 867-5309? ;) > > >this pack comes with the video compilation (old one) > As opposed to....? And if anyone gets their pack, and wants to trade it for > bootlegs... :) > > >I can picture it now: Linnell is on stage and says "here is a > >song I wrote for my little girl. I sing it to her every night > >before she goes to bed." :) > hee hee.. this reminds me of the BNL. Ed and Steve (both of the lead > singert/guitar players) both have a little kid. And at one of the concerts I > was at, Ed was telling us stories about his daughter. :) She saw his video on > tv, pointed and said "Dada!" and he was so happy, and then Seal came on, and > she did the same thing, and he got all upset. :) Steve and Ed had a kid together??! ;) -- upcoming concerts: Donna Lewis-8x10, Baltimore, MD (big maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 15:13 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps >Nope, 'cause I never took the SATs, but I do have favorite words. My >current favorite is "snickersnacking" which is not actually a real word, >but from the poem "Jabberwock" by someone who escapes my mind right now. Oooh! Lewis Carroll, of _Through the Looking Glass_ fame. That's one of my all-time favorite poems. I even did it for forensics my freshman year. Unfortunately I couldn't do it justice. Hee hee... Fun fact: he invented the word "chortle" in this poem. Kirsten current favorite word: ebullient -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:19:43 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: parents and tmbg Message-ID: I've noticed that often parents have no clue about music in general, and consequently use any terms they can to express their dislike for any specific song or band. TMBG certainly has a "discernable beat". I honestly cannot see where this guy is coming from. Really, I can often admit that a band or artist has talent even if I don't like them. I think the dad who said this was just trying to make his criticism seem like it actually had a solid base underneath it, when in fact, he simply didn't like Them. Eric Fjellanger The telephone was ringing That's when I handed it to Liz She said, "This isn't who it would be, If it wasn't who it is" -Phish, "Wolfman's Brother" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:35:00 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Words/Ohio shows/Bavarian horn music/Rob's bike lock/trading opps Message-ID: The telephone was ringing That's when I handed it to Liz She said, "This isn't who it would be, If it wasn't who it is" -Phish, "Wolfman's Brother" On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > Oooh! Lewis Carroll, of _Through the Looking Glass_ fame. That's > one of my all-time favorite poems. I even did it for forensics my > freshman year. Unfortunately I couldn't do it justice. Hee hee... Fun > fact: he invented the word "chortle" in this poem. > I'm assuming that you mention this word because it's the only new word from this poem that entered common usage. And what a pity it is; I really like most of the other new words better. 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe All mimsy were the borogroves And the mome raths outgrabe. For those interested (anyone?) Lewis Carrol defines all these terms later on in "Through the Looking Glass". Eric Fjellanger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970306152810.007bf2f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 15:28:10 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: OMLT Results Well, I counted up the votes and the winner is.... (drumroll) Number One I haven't updated the page, but that's who won. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331F3BDC.2F524FB7@rpi.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 16:49:16 -0500 From: Le hussard sur le toit Subject: (non)TMBG: Jabberwocky > I'm assuming that you mention this word because it's the only > new word from this poem that entered common usage. And what a pity it is; > I really like most of the other new words better. > > 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves > Did gyre and gimble in the wabe > All mimsy were the borogroves > And the mome raths outgrabe. > And what about the rest of the poem as well? "Beware the Jabberwock, my son, The jaws that bite, the claws that catch. Avoid the Jubjub bird and shun The frumious Bandersnatch." He took his vorpal sword in hand <- How about 'vorpal sword'? did he invent Long time the manxome foe he sought that? And rested he by the Tumtum tree And stood awhile in thought. And as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock with eyes of flame Came whiffing through the tulgey wood And burbled as it came! One-two! one-two! and through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack. He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back. "And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? come to my arms, my beamish boy. Oh frabjous day! Callooh, callay!" He chortled in his joy. 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe All mimsy were the borogroves And the mome raths outgrabe. (sorry about any errors in there -- it's from memory, y'see) <> -- * ---------------------------------------------------------- Andrew Magnusson, Rensselaer, BCBP '00 (518)276-7518 (or maybe 273... I never can remember) http://www.rpi.edu/~magnua || http://labyrinth.stu.rpi.edu email : magnua@rpi.edu || andy@labyrinth.stu.rpi.edu * ---------------------------------------------------------- "Words fail. Buildings tumble. The ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven. She stands before my eyes." --TMBG, "She's Actual Size" ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:56:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970306175009_1450703947@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Best Man, Kit Kat, Florida!, JKP NPR In a message dated 97-03-05 23:26:55 EST, jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) writes: << I wonder where they're honeymooning now...... >> Cowtown? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 18:34:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: "alternative", Rob's bike lock, nostalgia pack, li'l kids Message-id: > > >Ok, My 4 digit bike lock has TMBG signifigance. If you can tell > > >me what number is, you get a prize. > > 8747? 4710? 3232? Man, I know there's lots of #'s in their songs, but that's > > all I can think of (but I'm sure there's something else). I dunno - the track > > #'s of your fave songs? :) > how about 867-5309? ;) jenny! woowoo! :) hi matt. you're all missing an obvious one: 1990! a brand new record... love, fransburgh! ------------------------------ From: JulyG@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:30:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970306182938_-1071213965@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: concerts Does anyone know if the concerts at The College of NJ or the one at St. Joes are open to the public or to the students only??? Is anybody else planning to go??? julie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:43:06 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703062343.PAA02549@f3.hotmail.com> From: " Kate Fistler" Subject: TMBG: Western Maryland College TMBG are playing at Western MD College on Friday April 18th, tickets are $14, it is open to the public, and I don't thinkk tickets have sold out. Kate > >Message-Id: >Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:46:13 -0500 >From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) >Subject: TMBG: info on westminster > >can anybody give me any info on the western maryland college tmbg show?... >such as:is it open to the public, have the tickets sold out already, and if >not how do i get tickets?...thanx.. >shiner, shinedog the illuminated canine... > >in my cd player... >the torn and shredded remains of john lennon... > * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:15:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970306201327_-870070497@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV According to Clark600@aol.com >TMBG will be on Comedy Central 's new show "Viva Variety" it starts on April 1 >so keep watching after that. Viva is made by the guys from "the state". It >should rock ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:33:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970306203242_2029007149@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Request for St. Pete info Hey, all! As always, I am very excited about attending the upcoming show (my fifth!!) in St. Pete. And, as usual before trekking to an unknown venue, I'd like to know a bit about it. Does anyone on this fine mailing list know what kinda place Jannus Landing is? What's the neighborhood like? Any neat stuff nearby? How big is the place? Does it have a balcony area? That kind of stuff. Any info much appreciated! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331F3BBE.D91@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 21:48:46 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Contest As for the contest, How about 1-9-6-4 like the 64' World's Fair???? Hmm, Billy the Kid ------------------------------ Message-ID: <331F3EB7.4854@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 22:01:27 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: We're getting old... Dear Giant-heads, Finally after a wait of several weeks, my new license plates finally came! And you know what they say? ANA NG I am only too excited! Does anyone else out there have Giant-related license plates? I was considering getting "TMBG" or "TMBG-1" or "MR. ME". I almost went with "AKA DVR" because of the driving motif, but decided against it because people might think it had something to do with diving! Anybody have any other good ideas? In Missouri, you can only have 6 digits and 1 space. Cool states give you 7 digits, but oh well! Any Ideas? Peace in the Johns, Billy the Kid P.S. COOL WORD: ostentacious ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703070417.AA19285@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: don't have those addy's Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:17:45 -0500 (EST) Hi, I don't have all of those addresses that everyone has been sending to so I'll just send this to the list. Jonathan Chaffer's picture for the Irving Plaza CD is incredible, really great artwork, I vote 1,000,000 times for tht as the cover, unless an even better one somehow shows up: http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ipcd/ is where it can be found. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Donna Lewis-8x10, Baltimore, MD (big maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-66 *****************************