Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-68 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 68 Sunday, 9 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: DC show? TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements Re: pretty much non TMBG: Contest Results, Bells Re: TMBG: Words/Dream Re: TMBG: Contest Results TMBG: college of nj Re: TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements Re: TMBG: DC show? TMBG: tour date request TMBG: Re: tmbg at TCNJ TMBG: DC show??? TMBG: videos missing/article TMBG: Tour Dates? TMBG: da #, videos, odds, andy richter Re: TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements TMBG: non tmbg-sorry! (just delete this letter and the one before it by me) Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR TMBG: DC show-no!! TMBG: New discussion forum. Re: TMBG: Good concert review TMBG: tracy, u out there? TMBG: Boston? - YES!!! TMBG: Concert time is upon us again... TMBG: non-tmbg: 14 songs TMBG: Irish out there? Re: TMBG: videos missing/article RE: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR TMBG: TMBG-DIAL A SONG IS BACK! RE: TMBG: videos missing/article RE: TMBG: videos missing/article Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Re: TMBG: videos missing/article TMBG: contest proposal Re: TMBG: videos missing/article TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 02:41:15 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: DC show? Message-ID: Hey, Sorry if this has been brought up, but I've been deleting most of the posts lately =( Someone mentioned a DC show tonight but they didn't know for sure or what venue, so if anyone can clue me in, thanks. Ellen Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO____o_OO__oO_O___ooo "You don't know how precious you are- I am the one who lives with the Ocean." o__ooO__o_oOO__oo___o__OoO__ooO___ooOo_ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 00:07:09 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements Message-ID: So who's Tommy? Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 03:51:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308035145_2062703489@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: pretty much non TMBG: Contest Results, Bells Hello 41- Advice to Matt, take the lint! I've seen Robert's lint, and there is nothing like it in the world. Bells- I to say the FS version is very polished and done very well. Much better than the original DAS. I'm happy it was changed. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 09:42:25 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Words/Dream Message-ID: > It starts out in my chemistry room, with the band and about 30 > other people. We all unanimously and simultaneously decided that we all > wanted to commit suicide, so why not here and now? So we taped all the > seams between doors and windows and turned on all the gas valves. I > looked > > Ah....how did this have anything at all to do with TMBG? Curious. > They were there. Not for any specific reason as far as I ould see, but they were in my chem room awaiting death with us. > And since it's the in thing to do, my favorite word (of the week) is: > > custard! > > > That says it all. > Yoshua > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:03:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308100332_1216622124@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Contest Results In a message dated 97-03-08 00:36:53 EST, Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) writes: << 2427? T=20-->2 M=13-->4 B=02-->2 G=07-->7 >> Hey! I was on the right track! I said multipy the values....any consolation prize??? =) Joel ------------------------------ From: JulyG@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:29:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308102901_-1071041400@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: college of nj For that person who asked about the college of nj. Princeton was called the college of nj many years ago but recently Trenton State ( which is not a new college) changed their name to college of nj for publicity or for a better rep or something. So Trenton State is the college TMBG are playing at. Do you plan to go? My sad TMBG story. They are finally coming around philly this april alas i can not go. There is no one to drive me because its on a week day and everyone is too lazy to stay up to 2 in the morning. Oh well :-( julie JulyG@aol.com * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ * --------------------------------------------- .......and as the screaming fire engine sirens fill the air............................................ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:31:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308103132_1283570751@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements >So who's Tommy? (hee hee: The Who's Tommy) You're kidding, right? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3321925B.69B0@erols.com> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 11:22:51 -0500 From: Zydell Organization: N/A Subject: Re: TMBG: DC show? > Sorry if this has been brought up, but I've been deleting most of the > posts lately =( Someone mentioned a DC show tonight but they didn't know > for sure or what venue, so if anyone can clue me in, thanks. > Ellen Please, please, PLEASE...Tell me if there is one, I must know! If there is one Ellen I will see you there. Nancy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:20:37 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: TMBG: tour date request does anybody know the dates when(or if) tmbg is going to be in new york over the next month or two or three or whatever, i currently am not allowed to use the net due to grades so i must rely on the kindness of strangers to supply me with this vital information...thanx... --kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... currently in my cd player: the torn, shredded and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:55:34 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg at TCNJ Message-ID: >The TMBG concert at the College of New Jersey is open to the general >public, but the tickets will be available to the students first. My best >idea on when tickets will go on sale will be 3/24 (the first day back >TCNJ's spring break) for the students and either the 26th or 27th for the >general public. Also note that the tickets for non-students will be more >expensive. They will be most likely $10-15 for students and $15-20 for >non-students. I was told by the college union board that tickets will go on sale on 3/12, and they're $10 each. ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:54:43 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199703081754.MAA06946@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> Subject: TMBG: DC show??? If there is a DC show tonight, I must know!!! Someone tell us! Greg ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9703081844.AA24533@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 13:29:47 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: videos missing/article >Out of curiousity, why aren't there any video clips of "They'll Need A >Crane" or "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" available on the >Internet? I don't know why they aren't on the web page, cause they are both great videos!! THey are both very energetic & fun, although They look very 80's-ish in the Puppet Head video. And that article is most definitely the most positive one I've ever read bout the Johns. This guy seemed to be a true tmbg fan. Yay! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:33:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308143336_78514341@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates? Does anyone know when or if TMBG will be coming to North Carolina this year? TmbgManiac http://members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:50:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308145024_-1071030420@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: da #, videos, odds, andy richter >The number is not a TMBG referance, rather something related >to the Name TMBG. > >Good luck! And keep the guesses coming in. 8439? THEY on a phone keypad?? 2427? (T is 20th {2+0=2}, M is 13th {1+3=4}, B is 2nd, and G is 7: 2+4+2+7?) >2427? T=20-->2 M=13-->4 B=02-->2 G=07-->7 ::jaw drops open in amazement:: Well, there you go. Maybe I ought to subscribe to the list, eh? >Are these videos not that great or something? (re puppet head and t.n.a.c.) NO WAY! I love those videos! I dunno why... >Well i vote 20 thousand million times for it. ;) It truly is the >best of the ones I've seen (and made ) Er, let me rephrase my own sentence. It truly is the best OUT of the ones I've seen (and/or made). :) >"It was the suit that got me the gig > It was the tear that got me the girl..." > --the Odds, "Someone Who's Cool" > (someone tell me (privately) which of their albums to buy, > as I've long considered getting one...) Screw privately, the whole list should hear this. :) (and it's not the point of this message, so whatever). I say "Nest". >"I have one of the best conceptual minds of my generation" > -Andy Richter Lol! I saw that too - I was in a chat room with my friends, and stopped what I was saying to repeat Andy. :) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie# 77216 ~ tmbger#45127 ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:57:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308145709_380578784@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Paul Westerberg, The Replacements In a message dated 97-03-08 10:33:02 EST, SquirlHead@aol.com writes: << >So who's Tommy? (hee hee: The Who's Tommy) You're kidding, right? >> whos Tommy? ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:58:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308145803_-836343712@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: non tmbg-sorry! (just delete this letter and the one before it by me) i accidently sent a letter here, while pressing "reply to all" again, SORRY! YOU NEVER SAW THIS! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:24:11 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Message-Id: Yes, I rather enjoyed the different version TBAR that I got, but I still liked the original. Hell, I like all TMBG songs...what are you talking about? :) Hehe. Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that | | I want. Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want | | to do." --They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Ahoy > > Anyone else download TBAR from tmbg.com and think it's *much* better than > the FS version? I *love* the chiming synth! What on earth posessed Them to > replace it with a human voice? > > And I heartily disagree with Jesse's evil recipie for flan involving the > evaporated milk. First of all, it wouldn't work. For evaporated milk to > reach the consistency of flan, some water would have to boil off. That > would be impossible if it were still in the can. Besides, Jesse's recipie > would produce an unbearably yucky substance, whereas real flan is severely > yummy. > > --nicole the wonder nerd > who also thinks it'd be way cool if They rented a cathedral or something and > played it the bell part from TBAR on actual bells. I bet They could find a > carillioneur somewhere who'd be willing to do it... > *** > "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly > all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 15:44:11 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: DC show-no!! Message-ID: Sorry about that last post, now I am pretty sure there is no DC show tonight for They might Be Giants! *someone* on this list ;)was probably jujst very very misinformed. (but if not, well someone better speak up!) Also, Tracy from this list wants to know how to get those Western Md show tickets. I don't know that I'll be there (as though anyone cares), but just in case, could someone please post the info again. Ellen Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO____o_OO__oO_O___ooo "You don't know how precious you are- I am the one who lives with the Ocean." o__ooO__o_oOO__oo___o__OoO__ooO___ooOo_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970308205605.008e882c@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 15:56:05 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: New discussion forum. I'd like to announce a new They Might Be Giants discussion form. I know, I know...you're probably thinking there's enough places to talk about the Giants already but I'm hoping to pick up a lot of web only people here. Point your web browser to http://www.tmbg.org/ and check out our new section entitled "They Might Be Giants Musings. You can now conduct Giant discussions on the web. Of course anything Giant is fair game, however I would like to suggest that this new message system would be a VERY good place to make comments about the web site. In particular I'd like to know what you think about recent changes, like the new master song index and the message board itself. Make your comments now. -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703082124.AA20276@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Good concert review Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 16:24:04 -0500 (EST) > > ode to Paul Westerberg, "We're The Replacements", was performed > > during the second set with the full band. Curiously, two of their bigger > > Okay, I know who Paul Westerberg is. I know that "We're the Replacements" > is about some band, the Replacements. What I don't know is-- how does > Paul Westerberg relate to the Replacements? Was he in it? Paul Westerberg was the lead singer of the Replacements, which was a pretty good band from Minnesota I think? I have their album Don't Tell a Soul which is pretty good. It has the song I'll be You which was a single and they had another big song Alex Chilton (which I think is about the real musician Alex Chilton). Oh, I do have a question on this subject. Paul Westerberg put out an album called 14 Songs which had a song called First Glimmer which was fantastic. I think I had heard maybe 1 or 2 other songs on that album but the rest I haven't heard, is it good? Thanks, Matt -- upcoming concerts: Donna Lewis-8x10, Baltimore, MD (big maybe) Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703082144.AA20304@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: tracy, u out there? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 16:44:26 -0500 (EST) Tracy Gregory, I misplaced your e-mail address could you pls email me? thanks. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703082310.SAA28563@user1.channel1.com> Date: 08 Mar 97 18:10:37 -0500 From: Podkayne Subject: TMBG: Boston? - YES!!! >So my question to you all is: Have any other Boston people heard >about this? Yup, but only through 'FNX - They're playing April 5th @ Avalon - tickets (TicketBastard) $15/ea + $4/ea 'handling'. >And if there are any Boston ppl out there. Who is "that KID" who >is really tall and skinny,who wears glasses and a different hat to >everyshow? At the Paradise at the Hatchshell at Lupos and at >Toads. I've no idea! David (preparing to switch back into lurk mode) -- /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ | just an analog guy in a digital world... | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970308154103.006b14d4@pop.teleport.com> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 15:41:19 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: Concert time is upon us again... Well, I haven't posted in, oh, 3 or 4 months, since my review the last time TMBG came to Oregon. Anyway, Tuesday (the 11th) night They will be at it again, and I will be back next week to post some sort of review. Hopefully I can be fortunate enough to snag a set list again... but highly unlikely. We'll see. By the way, have there been any super-decent tapes circulating from the Factory Showroom tour? Is anyone up for a trade? Let me know... Kerry ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:54:34 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: 14 songs Message-ID: > Oh, I do have a question on this subject. Paul Westerberg put out an > album called 14 Songs which had a song called First Glimmer which was > fantastic. I think I had heard maybe 1 or 2 other songs on that album > but the rest I haven't heard, is it good? I have it, and it's pretty good. Unfortunately, I only have the tape, so I NEVER listen to it. A friend of mine (for a little while at least) once declared this to be his favorite album! -Dan ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703090026.AA20485@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Irish out there? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 19:26:25 -0500 (EST) Hi, I was wondering if there were any folks on this list from Ireland and if so could they e-mail me? Thank you kindly. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 19:32:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308193220_-1104553067@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article In a message dated 97-03-08 13:47:25 EST, ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) writes: << >Out of curiousity, why aren't there any video clips of "They'll Need A >Crane" or "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" available on the >Internet? I don't know why they aren't on the web page, cause they are both great videos!! THey are both very energetic & fun, although They look very 80's-ish in the Puppet Head video. >> Who are those *old* people in They'll Need A Crane? Also, why does Linnell sometimes sing: They have a fight triangle wins, Triangle man. and They have a fight triangle wins, Particle man. ??? The CD says Tri. Man, but I have seen him many a times say Particle Man Joel ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:25:05 -0800 >---------- >From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd[SMTP:ana.ng@tmbg.org] >Sent: Friday, March 07, 1997 9:43 PM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR > >Ahoy > >And I heartily disagree with Jesse's evil recipie for flan involving the >evaporated milk. First of all, it wouldn't work. For evaporated milk to >reach the consistency of flan, some water would have to boil off. That >would be impossible if it were still in the can. Besides, Jesse's recipie >would produce an unbearably yucky substance, whereas real flan is severely >yummy. > >--nicole the wonder nerd >who also thinks it'd be way cool if They rented a cathedral or something and >played it the bell part from TBAR on actual bells. I bet They could find a >carillioneur somewhere who'd be willing to do it... Actually, I was quite shocked that it worked, too. I consider myself something of an expert on deserts, specifically rare and exotic ones. (No, not gross ones like fish eyeballs.) But it seems to... *shrug* Jesse ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 21:28:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308212815_1680683687@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG-DIAL A SONG IS BACK! YES,YOU HEARD ME, DAS IS BACK! CALL EVERY HOUR FOR A SONG! and since im in the 718 area code, i know i am!!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: videos missing/article Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:35:07 -0800 >---------- >From: Yoel97@aol.com[SMTP:Yoel97@aol.com] >Sent: Saturday, March 08, 1997 4:32 PM >To: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu; tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article > > why does Linnell >sometimes sing: > >They have a fight triangle wins, >Triangle man. > >and > >They have a fight triangle wins, >Particle man. > >??? > >The CD says Tri. Man, but I have seen him many a times say Particle Man > >Joel My best guess would be....he's human. (: Having performed a little (private audiences mainly) myself, you find yourself sometimes mixing up stuff in your own songs. I don't think They are really concerned about getting their songs exactly right, they're just there to mainly have fun. Well, and to make money. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9703090243.AA04654@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 21:28:19 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: RE: TMBG: videos missing/article >My best guess would be....he's human. (: You're kidding! Man, there goes my whole They Came From Outer Space theory, thanks for ruining my life! Sheesh, now he just seems boring, I wonder if his new wife knows that he isn't an alien...I bet she'll be dissappointed when she finds out! >Having performed a little (private audiences mainly) myself, >you find yourself sometimes mixing up stuff in your own songs. >I don't think They are really concerned about getting their >songs exactly right, they're just there to mainly have fun. >Well, and to make money. (: Linnell tends to change things in different songs on purpose, perhaps the triangle/partical man thing is an accident, but probably it is intentional. He changes lyrics in his speaking section of WDTSS all the time, & on Their performance at the house of blues he changed a few of the lyrics to No One Knows My Plan I believe... Anyway, many bands do that, & that would be my guess in this case... Oh, and Fun & Money both rule! Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 21:56:37 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: videos missing/ar.. by Yoel97@aol.com > Who are those *old* people in They'll Need A Crane? Also, why does Linnell According to the FAQ, they are "professional old people." > sometimes sing: > > They have a fight triangle wins, > Triangle man. > > and > > They have a fight triangle wins, > Particle man. It's because he occasionally forgets the words. There are some interesting tapes out there with the following fun lyrics: "We were waving our arms out the window Of a fast moving passenger train Acting in an irresponsible fashion Until the engineer whose back had been turned And who we thought would find us highly amusing Quickly swiveled his head around And as dirt rained down she played a xylophone And sang me this song." (was that 12/3/93 or 12/8/93?) "So the warm blood flows with the Large blood cells Lacking nuclei, Making up the words, Through the large four chambered heart..." (also one of those two shows - whichever one he got Turn Around right) "The statue made me die! The statue made me die! My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy. ... The statue made me fry! The statue made me fry! It took my hand, it killed me, and it..........." 8/16/96, 9:30 club, DC I'm sure there are other fun lyrics stories out there - I've heard he has a huge problem with Metal Detector, although he sang it perfectly at Metropol last December... ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 22:01:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970308220100_-903416376@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article In a message dated 97-03-08 21:58:26 EST, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: << It's because he occasionally forgets the words. There are some interesting tapes out there with the following fun lyrics: "We were waving our arms out the window Of a fast moving passenger train Acting in an irresponsible fashion Until the engineer whose back had been turned And who we thought would find us highly amusing Quickly swiveled his head around And as dirt rained down she played a xylophone And sang me this song.">> i have a wav of that..and in the last line, Linnell says "and as dirt rained down she played a xylophone and sang the wrong words" you can see how that is funnier. Jordan (sorry for the multiple letters) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 22:02:06 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-97 RE: TMBG: videos missing/ar.. by Nathan Todd@uvm-gen.emba > Linnell tends to change things in different songs on purpose, perhaps the > triangle/partical man thing is an accident, but probably it is intentional. > He changes lyrics in his speaking section of WDTSS all the time, & on Their > performance at the house of blues he changed a few of the lyrics to No One > Knows My Plan I believe... Anyway, many bands do that, & that would be my > guess in this case... I think this is more a case of switching verses - sort of mixing and matching... I have a whole bunch of TMBG songs sequenced on my computer (and the capability to mute the vocal part and sing along), and surprisingly enough, those that I play the *most* I screw up the most... two I can think of in particular are Turn Around and I Palindrome I - in Turn Around, I often switch the second and third verses, or I'll sing it as: "I was out by myself in the graveyard I was doing an interpretive dance Acting in an irresponsible fashion..." and continue with the third verse. (and then sing the third verse again when it's actually supposed to be sung) In I Palindrome I, I occasionally end up with "See that bulletbroof dress hanging from the clothesline See the hands of my offspring making windmills Now I'll help it decide, I palindrome I." it's lots of fun. :) An example from "real life" is when Linnell sang in Ana Ng "where the world goes by like a human hair..." although I think that was more deliberate. Or on 10/29/94, at the John Henry show: "I saw the worst bands of my generation Applied by magic marker to dry wall I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off I should be allowed to shoot..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970309043207.00669c94@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 23:32:07 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: contest proposal I love this list, but I was thinking maybe we could "spice" it up a bit by possibly organizing a yearly contest or something. The contest details I leave up to others (should this idea even get off the runway), but the prize I thought could be a one-hour interview with Them. Of course, we'd need someone w/ connections. I thought Leo B. might do. And the contest would have to give everyone on the lsit a fair and equal chance. I don't know, maybe it's just my finals-fried brain tallking, but I just thought it would be cool to at least have a SLIGHT CHANCE of meeting and conversing with the John's on a 1-1 level. I would really like to see this idea through, but if people don't like it, just let it die with all the other fatal threads. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) Current Favorite TMBG Song: Destination Moon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:00:59 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Message-ID: On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I'm sure there are other fun lyrics stories out there - I've heard he > has a huge problem with Metal Detector, although he sang it perfectly at > Metropol last December... > Or, in No One Knows My Plan from their televised House of Blues performance: "working on the tiny blueprint of the angle, cooking up the burning autumn leaves..." --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970309015129.008815e0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 01:51:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Hey, I spent some time recrding the NPR James K Polk preformance into wav format, and I will put it on a web site if I can 1) find space or 2) make it smaller (it is 3 MB now) I don't want to lose too much quality, but I can probably make it smaller and still sound good. -ec ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-68 *****************************