Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-69 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 69 Monday, 10 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TCNJ tickets on 3/12? Re: TMBG: Contest Results TMBG: Linnel as a poet TMBG: Oz Tours TMBG: Happy They Day Part2 (kinda long and boring) TMBG: DAS Re: TMBG: DAS TMBG: e-mail Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV TMBG: Real Audio now available. TMBG: Re: Tribute Album RE: TMBG: videos missing/article TMBG: REAL AUDIO Re: TMBG: BF5 release dates Re: TMBG: REAL AUDIO Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV TMBG: TMBG cover Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR TMBG: Linnells in History Re: TMBG: videos missing/article TOTALLYABSOLUTELY NON TMBG: DELETE NOW IF YOU WISH Fwd: [Fwd: An Elmo Picture!] TMBG: Token Re: TMBG: Token TMBG: I GOT A THEN: PROMO! TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Re: TMBG: TMBG cover Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 NON TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Re: TMBG: Token TMBG: The OMLT goddess TMBG: RA Fake Out TMBG: particle man TMBG: Brian Dewan TMBG: The OMLT Goddess is dead! TMBG: Boat of collective car TMBG: Cool Review TMBG: DAS, cool review Re: TMBG: Boat of collective car Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 03:14:47 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: TCNJ tickets on 3/12? Message-ID: To whoever wrote that... are you a member of CUB concerts or know someone on the committee? The only mention they made was that the concert was being held on 4/8. The next time they will put something out will be an ad in the school newspaper, which will be released this Tuesday (3/11) at 4pm EST. I don't think that leaves enough time for people to get money or work around classes to get tickets. I still think they will go on sale on 3/24. But if I see something different before then, you will know. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "In the soil of leadership sprout the seeds of immortality." Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order "I am currently reading 'How To Operate A Computer' by Gordell Huxley-Smithen III. It's very informative and I am currently on Chapter 8 - The On Button". John Popper * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:45:41 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Contest Results Message-ID: Egad a base tone... On 8 Mar 1997, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > > > Well, I got many more responses, all of them being very creative, But then, I > thought About how the number is so obscure, I should probably give more hints. > But then I opened up a message from Matt Mantsch, who correctly identified the > number, and provided a handy explanation: > > 2427? T=20-->2 M=13-->4 B=02-->2 G=07-->7 Rightm, I'll see you guys later, I'm going to go off and nick his bike. _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "No man can have a higher moral duty than to Derwent College stand for parliment against David Mellor" University of York Dominic Lawson Heslington York FLUMCAKE ON-LINE: It's got words in you know YO1 5DD http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 05:57:34 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Linnel as a poet Message-ID: hey, I'm doing research on Linnel's poetic skills, etc. for a report in my English class. Can anyone help me? Any facts or insights are greatly welcomed. Thanx! Dave Simpson Despite the fire hazard.. ------------------------------ Date: 9 Mar 1997 13:44:03 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc2c8d$e68c5a60$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Oz Tours Hey fans from Oz Anyone attending the Sydney shows, or travelling from Sydney to the Canberra show please email me privately. I will make it worth your while. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 9 Mar 1997 13:43:59 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc2c8d$a59138a0$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Happy They Day Part2 (kinda long and boring) So much to say, so little time (and an AKA at the back). My Office After reading about how cool / uncool people's parents are, I just thought I would relate a little story of my own. I work as an Architect, and the office where I work (about 15 people) is predominantly middle aged people. Last week I had TMBG, Lincoln and Flood in the office for one of my colleagues (who I managed to talk into coming to Their gig). We all have our own CD-Roms, and another staff member asked to borrow my CDs on a rotational basis. We had client drinks on Friday night, and another member of staff put Lincoln in and turned it up on the speakers. Also I was doing some overtime on Saturday and was listening to Live in NY. I went to lunch and turned my CD off, but on my return a senior Architect was at my desk bopping away to "Whistling". A couple of other times through the day he turned it on after I had switched it off. My Radio Station I have sung the praises of our National youth broadcaster, Triple J, many times here. A few months ago, FS was Feature Album (one song per hour) and there are a couple of DJ's who always play something They. JJJ is national and very popular, so it is great exposure. On the weekend Jane Gazzo played Birdhouse from her Live in NY CD and it was so cool to hear it on the radio. But that's not the big news. Every Thursday night at 10pm are the J Files. It lasts for 3 hours and is enormously popular. Anyhow, the J Files have a theme, one week may be songs from 1990, another may be songs about days of the week. Once it was songs by Tom Dick or Harry. The show has songs, interviews, quizes and lots of other stuff and is always heaps of fun. Well, after badgering the host for a few months now, he has decided to do a They J File in just over a fortnight. Imagine, 3 hours of They on National Radio. It must be a dream. Thanks for listening. Also for trade AKA 1011 Flans returns home after remembering mid-tour that he hadn't plugged in the DAS modem -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970309095120.0087da80@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 09:51:20 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: DAS Hey, are there new dial-a-songs on dial a song now? Or is it stilll the batch of pre-FS ones? -ec, who doesn't feel like making a long distance phone call just to hear "Children Singing Particle Man" again... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 10:12:23 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS >Hey, are there new dial-a-songs on dial a song now? Or is it stilll the >batch of pre-FS ones? > >-ec, who doesn't feel like making a long distance phone call just to hear >"Children Singing Particle Man" again... *THE RAISING OF MANY OF MY HANDS* --kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 10:17:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309101739_1216711360@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: e-mail Who can I write to at TMBG.COM about tmbg.com? There are a few little things that I would like to point out. Also, I got a new email forward address: tmbg@for-president.com (I think it's easier to remember) Plus, it has a nice ring to it: TMBG for president. Ahh, that would be interesting. Except, which one would actually be President???? Let's not start a thread on this please =) Joel IRC Nick: TMBG-Yoel EMAIL: tmbg@for-president.com WEB SITE: http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ THEY WEB SITE: http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ QUOTE: Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. FAV WORD: Circumcision (I don't know why) =) SAT SCORES: (7th grade) 560 Verbal /650 Math Ok, this is where the party ends.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970309092232#156@acme.computer-services.com From: "Microserf" Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 09:18:26 -0600 A good way to compress audio but still retain quality is to RealAudio 3.0 Dual ISDN encode it. First, I'd try re-recording your WAVe as 44.1KHz 16bit Stereo (CD Quality) then download the RealAudio Encoder at http://www.real.com/products/encoder/realaudio/index.html and encoding your WAVE as Dual Channel ISDN Stereo. It will take a 50 or 60MB WAVE to about 3 or 4MB, and still sound pretty good. A 2 minute song will be under 2MB, if I remember correctly. At least FAR smaller then the WAVE version.To playthe file(s), you can download the RealAudio Player 3.0 FREE at http://www.real.com/products/player/download.html RealAudio 2.0 Player Plus owners can upgrade to RealAudio Player Plus 3.0 free, too. Hope this helps..... Microserf Assistant System Administrator Acme Communications (http://www.acmeonline.net) (ftp://ftp.acmeonline.net) microserf@acmeonline.net "If the future's looking dark, We're the ones who have to shine If there's no one in control, We're the ones who draw the line Though we live in trying times, We're the ones who have to try Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones that have to fly..." -Neil Peart of Rush on "Everyday Glory" of Counterparts, 1993 ---------- > From: Evan Chakroff > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV > Date: Sunday, March 09, 1997 12:51 AM > > Hey, I spent some time recrding the NPR James K Polk preformance into wav > format, and I will put it on a web site if I can 1) find space or 2) make > it smaller (it is 3 MB now) > > I don't want to lose too much quality, but I can probably make it smaller > and still sound good. > > -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970309170213.008e4d40@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 12:02:13 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Real Audio now available. I have found a way I can offer Real Audio versions of the prerelease songs for all those people who don't like WAV files. Check out the preview section at http://www.tmbg.org/ to try them out. If they prove popular I'll convert over the other songs as well. The quality on these should be much better. -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970309121048.09efacc6@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 12:10:48 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Re: Tribute Album When aske dto sing "Them From We Might Be Giants, Too": > They've declined. To quote Them, "It's too cheesy to be on > our own tribute album." (: Wow, they actually said *my* idea was cheesy? That's as close a personal response I think I've ever gotten (except for that Residents/REO Speedwagon thing). They actually took the time to ridicule my hours (okay moments) of work? That is so cool! -Goat Boy aka Any normal person should be offended. In the CD player now: The Residents' Prelude to "The Teds" (Thanks Robert) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 9 Mar 97 12:24 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: RE: TMBG: videos missing/article >>My best guess would be....he's human. (: > >You're kidding! Man, there goes my whole They Came From Outer Space theory, >thanks for ruining my life! Sheesh, now he just seems boring, I wonder if >his new wife knows that he isn't an alien...I bet she'll be dissappointed >when she finds out! I still think he's a vampire. Or perhaps some other Immortal... Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 12:34:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309123412_-1037394733@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: REAL AUDIO The stereo 28.8 of the real audio doesn't work. It says it isn't a real audio document.Same thing with the 28.8 Mono Joel ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: BF5 release dates Date: 9 Mar 1997 16:34:47 GMT Message-ID: <5fuor7$9ll$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <2.2.32.19970304123742.00a46e48@mail.healey.com.au>, Very Fruity Indeed writes: >>>>new BF5 album, "Whatever and Ever Amen" - March 18. I'll remind ya. >>>18th March!!! Are you sure about that? It's out in the UK today (Monday the >>>3rd). Surely we don't get it two weeks before you? >>March 11, actually, so one week after you get it. >Well, the info I've seen says, 18th March in USA and 14th March in Australia. And 14th Feb in the Netherlands. Yes, I have been listening to the new BF5 album for almost a month now and I have tickets to see them live the 18th. :) --Daniel ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970309114430#181@acme.computer-services.com From: "Microserf" Subject: Re: TMBG: REAL AUDIO Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:40:19 -0600 Have you made sure you have downloaded Version 3.0 from RealAudio? http://www.realaudio.com If you don't have version 3, it will display error messages, because RealAudio 2.0 doesn't recognize the format. If you do have version 3.0, and you are SURE you do, you might try reinstalling RealAudio 3.0 anyways, and if it still refuses to work, then I cannon help you. Microserf Assistant System Administrator Acme Communications (http://www.acmeonline.net) (ftp://ftp.acmeonline.net) microserf@acmeonline.net "If the future's looking dark, We're the ones who have to shine If there's no one in control, We're the ones who draw the line Though we live in trying times, We're the ones who have to try Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones that have to fly..." -Neil Peart of Rush on "Everyday Glory" of Counterparts, 1993 ---------- > From: Yoel97@aol.com > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org; bicknell@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: REAL AUDIO > Date: Sunday, March 09, 1997 11:34 AM > > The stereo 28.8 of the real audio doesn't work. It says it isn't a real > audio document.Same thing with the 28.8 Mono > > Joel ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703091808.AA20899@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:08:14 -0500 (EST) > A good way to compress audio but still retain quality is to RealAudio 3.0 > Dual ISDN encode it. First, I'd try re-recording your WAVe as 44.1KHz 16bit > Stereo (CD Quality) then download the RealAudio Encoder at > http://www.real.com/products/encoder/realaudio/index.html > and encoding your WAVE as Dual Channel ISDN Stereo. It will take a 50 or > 60MB WAVE to about 3 or 4MB, and still sound pretty good. A 2 minute song > will be under 2MB, if I remember correctly. At least FAR smaller then the > WAVE version.To playthe file(s), you can download the RealAudio Player 3.0 > FREE at > http://www.real.com/products/player/download.html > RealAudio 2.0 Player Plus owners can upgrade to RealAudio Player Plus 3.0 > free, too. Hope this helps..... OR you could mpeg3 encode the same wave at the same sample rate, and produce the same size (3MB or so) and make it CD quality instead of vinyl quality or whatever Real Audio is. Now to just figure out how to work this encoder ;) Matt -- upcoming concerts: Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970309133041.007c5e60@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 13:30:41 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: JKP NPR WAV Rather than try to figure out a good way to make it smaller, I'll just leave it as it is I'm uploading it to ftp://ftp.tmbg.org/incoming/polk_NPR.wav It's about 3MB, Mono -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:58:21 -0500 Message-Id: <199703091858.NAA22298@smtp1.erols.com> From: ekao Subject: TMBG: TMBG cover On a post to the Dar Williams list, someone brought up they Might Be giants when considering who might cover her songs. The poster said: To the silly side, how about They Might Be Giants doing Alleluia? Or (extremely unlikely, and the result could be very strange) Nine Inch Nails doing Arrival? Well most of you are probablyunfamiliar with Dar, but, its kind of cute imagining what this might be like! Picture Linnell singing this.. "Now I'm up in heaven where they say I 'm here to stay, wher the clouds are really puffy, and the angels sing everyday" etc =) Thats just darn cute. oh well, fuck cute. Blah, Ekao ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-=== "Me, my thoughts are flower strewn ocean storm, bayberry moon I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way." -J.M.S. ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-=== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:00:31 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Message-ID: On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Anyone else download TBAR from tmbg.com and think it's *much* better than > the FS version? I *love* the chiming synth! What on earth posessed Them to > replace it with a human voice? > I totally agree! I think I mentioned this some few months ago, shortly after FS came out, but only a few people said they liked the synth better! When I first listened to FS, I went in thinking that TBAR was my favourite song just because of the synth. And when I heard the FS version, I thought, "Huh. This is not so good as I remeber it" but I couldn't think of why. The synth adds a great quality to it, of real bells, and the human bells are just kind of annoying and cheesy... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:02:32 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Linnells in History Message-ID: I was at the IU art museum yesterday, culturing myself instead of doing homework (so is that good or bad? I don't know...) and I was looking at some engravings by William Blake (while looking for the ones by Albrect Durer which I _know_ we have, yet couldn't find) when I noticed that Blake's close friend JOHN LINNELL commissioned him to repreoduce some of his colour art works in black-and-white engravings. Isn't that great? Then, on the other side (they were on this panel thing set up in a kind of triangle shape), was an engraving by Linnell himself. It was so weird to read this name, and think of one person, and know its someone else long dead. Of course, when I first saw the name, I started laughing, inducing everyone to stare at me...ah well. Has any one else seen any of Linnell's engravings? I wonder if this is a distant relative of our John? _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:13:27 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: videos missing/article Message-ID: On Sat, 8 Mar 1997 Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > i have a wav of that..and in the last line, Linnell says > "and as dirt rained down she played a xylophone > and sang the wrong words" > > you can see how that is funnier. > I have a .wav of that too, and if its the same one, he sang "and sang the wrong words" because he himself sang the wrong words- after singing "find us highly amusing, quickly swiveled his head around," instead of "and his face which was a..." he sang, "and as dirt rained down..." and thus he finished that line off with flair and pizzaz. I found that .wav to be highly amusing myself... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:06:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309160621_2062828376@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TOTALLYABSOLUTELY NON TMBG: DELETE NOW IF YOU WISH Fwd: [Fwd: An Elmo Picture!] It is for a good cause. joel --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Fwd: [Fwd: An Elmo Picture!] Date: 97-03-09 16:05:05 EST From: Yoel97 To: jhumor@drcoffsite.com To: jokeclub@juno.com,emmak@ibm.net To: AmyH3x4,bucks@global2000.net To: Elec Bass,AndrewPH,ASciambi To: Ice crysta,SKolette,Lisa Mira To: jmf99@juno.com It is for a good cause... BTW I am going for Genetics and Neuroscience --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Fwd: [Fwd: An Elmo Picture!] Date: 97-03-09 16:03:14 EST From: AndrewPH To: BillRohm@msn.com,ric_andrea@msn.com To: rohms@n4.opnav.navy.mil To: rar136@psu.edu,UndrDogz,DSHanvey To: Yoel97,Rtbherrman To: David.Levine@snet.net To: bmichelson@coastalnet.com To: KiraB@msn.com,jtfolkerts@juno.com Sorry, just had to --------------------- Forwarded message: From: EmmaK@ibm.net (Emma) To: skolette@aol.com, Ryan.Tierney@Valley.net, Waterflies@aol.com, ElecBass@aol.com, HTRD43A@Prodigy.com, UVAY13A@Prodigy.com, jmf99@juno.com, Yoel97@aol.com, icecrysta@aol.com, JKosseff@umich.edu, Jamie-S@juno.com, GVBW53D@Prodigy.com, AndrewPH@aol.com, ASciambi@aol.com Date: 97-03-08 10:29:24 EST This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------6C9F32F04D21 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hey guys! It's for a good cause so I sen't it! Don't worry, it's not a chain letter! Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't forward it to anyone. At least, if you do, you'll be doing it for a good cause! Talk to 'ya soon! <> <> < Emma \___/ --------------6C9F32F04D21 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Received: from pimaia4w.prodigy.com [198.83.18.139] by mx4.ibm.net id 857680625.76128-1 Thu Mar 6 20:37:05 1997 Received: from mime4.prodigy.com (mime4.prodigy.com [192.168.254.43]) by pimaia4w.prodigy.com (8.6.10/8.6.9) with ESMTP id PAA13792 for ; Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:21:35 -0500 Received: (from root@localhost) by mime4.prodigy.com (8.6.10/8.6.9) id PAA140458 for EmmaK@ibm.net; Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:16:26 -0500 Message-Id: <199703062016.PAA140458@mime4.prodigy.com> X-Mailer: Prodigy Internet GW(v0.9beta) - ae01dm04sc03 From: XKSE68B@prodigy.com (MISS KACEY E HOUSTON) Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:16:26, -0500 To: EmmaK@ibm.net Subject: An Elmo Picture! Hi, Emm! More junk mail from Kacey! Don't worry, this isn't really a chain letter. I just thought it was cute. =)Kacey >>>>>3 cents will be donated to cancer research for each person this is >>>>>fowarded to. Some of you know someone who has died of or has cancer, so >> send it on. >>>>> >>>>> .' '.' `. >>>>> _.-| o | o |-._ >>>>> .~ `.__.'.__.'^ ~. Tickle me ; ) >>>>> .~ ^ / \ ^ ~. >>>>> \-._^ ^| | ^_.-/ >>>>> `\ `-._ \___/ ^_.-' /' >>>>> `\_ `--...--' /' >>>>> `-.._______..-' /\ /\ >>>>> __/ \__ | |/ /_ >>>>> .'^ ^ `. .' `__\ >>>>> .' ^ ^ `.__.'^ .\ \ >>>>> .' ^ . ^ . ^ .' \/ >>>>> / / ^ \'.__.' >>>>> | ^ /| ^ | >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>Please forward this to everyone you know. The American Cancer >>>>>Society will donate 3 cents per person listed in the forwards to cancer >> research and development. Send questions to acs@aol.com p.s. I have >> already sent this to them as I have it so far, but feel free to do >> whatever. Thanks >> >> >LITTLE JESSICA MYDEK IS SEVEN YEARS OLD AND IS >SUFFERING FROM AN ACUTE AND VERY RARE CASE OF >CEREBRAL CARCINOMA. THIS CONDITION CAUSES >SEVERE MALIGNAN T BRAIN TUMORS AND IS A TERMINAL ILLNESS. >THE DOCTORS HAVE GIVEN HER SIX MONTHS TO LIVE. >AS PART OF HER DYING WISH, SHE WANTED TO START A >CHAIN LETTER TO INFORM PEOPLE OF THIS CONDITION AND TO >SEND PEOPLE THE MESSAGE TO LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND ENJOY >EVERY MOMENT, A CHANCE THAT SHE WILL NEVER HAVE. >FURTHERMORE, THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AND SEVERAL CORPORATE >SPONSORS HAVE AGREED TO DONATE THREE CENTS TOWARD >CONTINUING CANCER RESEARCH FOR EVERY NEW PERSON THAT >GETS FORWARDED THIS MESSAGE. PLEASE GIVE JESSICA AND ALL >CANCER VICTIMS A CHANCE. >IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS, SEND THEM TO THE AMERICAN >CANCER SOCIETY AT ACS@AOL.COM > > > > NINO -----End Of Forwarded Message ----- Distribution: To: EmmaK@ibm.com Distribution: To: EmmaK@ibm.net --------------6C9F32F04D21-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703092225.QAA07939@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Token Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:17:09 -0600 Does anybody have a .wav of the FS hidden track? My player does not recognize the do-abiliy of this, and I've been looking for it all day on the web to no avail... Is there a site I've missed? Anybody mind e-mailing me a copy!? Thanks-o-roonittie, Mike "To avoid a flood, email me first if you have it" Leffel ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 17:21:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309172120_-1238382926@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Token In a message dated 97-03-09 17:19:10 EST, maleffel@ncfcomm.com (Mike Leffel) writes: << Does anybody have a .wav of the FS hidden track? My player does not recognize the do-abiliy of this, and I've been looking for it all day on the web to no avail... Is there a site I've missed? Anybody mind e-mailing me a copy! >> Me too! I've never heard it. Just CC it to me please Joel tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 17:47:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309174725_1018242646@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I GOT A THEN: PROMO! HEY! My sister's boyfriend got me a Then:The Early Years Promo cd! well, you heard all about, so im just gonna say these things---- since i only have cassetes of the pink album,lincoln,and misc T, it was VERY COOL to hear the songs from them on a cd!!! i cant wait for Then! Now That i Have Everything KICKS ASS!!!! Its not the same as the das one! The backwards message in the demo of Which Describes How Your feeling IS SO HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont know what it is,see the FAQ,but its even funnier being it heard sung! Thats about it!!!!!!!! Jordan ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:02:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309190219_246367197@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Right: Shoes here... You heard right. The OMLT Goddess is DEAD. Left: Yup. Stone dead. Gone to that great birdhouse in the sky. Right: Mostly dead, anyway. ...Well, OK, so she's just lightly comatose. The point is, she won't be much use to you all anymore. Left: I don't know what happened... all I said was "Hey, did you hear Linnell's getting married?" She made this kind of strangled, choking noise, and then... Thud! Keeled right over in her pile of physics homework. R: She's in rehab right now. Her friends have got her hooked up to a machine that feeds her intravenously with a steady diet of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. Also, there's a little audio tape that repeats a few phrases over and over... L: Something like, "He's old enough to be your father!" and "It would never work, anyway... you hate coffee!" R: So anyway, after this unforeseen tragedy occurred, the post of Supreme OMLT Dictator was left open. Times being what they were, we accepted the job. We will be in charge of the project until the Goddess comes to. L: We realize we're a bit behind. But, hey, give us any crap and that's the end of *your* chances at a shirt! R: We have just been notified that the stunningly aesthetic design #1 has won the design contest. (Let's all give Evan a farewell round of applause. He was a tres cool Design Dictator.) This means that it is now time to begin collecting... FINAL ORDERS! Woo hoo! L: As you may recall, prices are dependant on number of ink colors. We count black, yellow, blue, and green... 4 colors. That means cost will be about $9.60 per shirt if about 100 of you order a shirt, as was indicated by the last survey. You have to admit, that's pretty durn cheap. R: Regular-priced sizes are L or XL. Remember, it's $1.25 extra for XXL. We'll look into getting smaller sizes, as promised, but no guarantees... If you are interested in them, you should be prepared to get a large instead. L: We can't ask for any money just now because the exact price is dependant on the exact number of orders. What we do need right now is your FINAL ORDER. R: Send us an e-mail at Christi587@aol.com or little.glowing.friend@tmbg.org. Tell us: -How many shirts you want -What sizes you want them in (remember, you can order a medium... we will automatically make it a large if mediums cannot be done... hey, just wash it 20 or so times in hot water and it'll be roughly the same!) -That you will personally cut off your own thumbs if you renege on this deal, since if even one person changes their mind, it will affect shirt prices for everyone else. This price calibration is an exact science, people! We don't need insignificant yeomen such as yourselves throwing monkey wrenches into the process! -What is your name and what address you want the shirts shipped to (oh yeah... shipping... prob'ly an extra buck or two. No big deal. We'll look into that, too... sigh...) -What e-mail address you can be reached at most easily -What is your quest -What is your favorite color L: No! No! Forget those last two! And if any of you jokers send barnyard animal noises or marriage proposals... R: Gee, I didn't know shoes had throats. L: Shut up, Right. And as for all you listers! Send those e-mails ASAP! We will be setting a drop dead date of April 9... that's one month from today. It would be a lot earlier but it's spring break season, and none of those crazy schools can decide on one set of dates for break. We wouldn't want to make any college kiddies miss out on getting a shirt because they were too busy off having fun at the beach, would we? Of course not. R: This means that the OMLT Goddess, if she's un-coma-ed by that time, will not have an OMLT to show off proudly at the Maryland concert on the 18th. She will not be pleased. But we all must make sacrifices, so she'll just have to deal. L: We will be re-posting this message in a slightly more compact form every few days to ensure no one gets left out of the know. Please send those messages as soon as humanly possible. Once all orders have been collected, we'll calibrate final prices and request checks. R: But we'll cross that proverbial bridge when we come to it. Anyway, we have to get going. The Goddess is mumbling in her sleep again, and we have to go slap her around a bit. L: Send those orders! Or else we'll sic our big brother on you... he's a combat boot! --Christy's Shoes ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:12:24 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG cover Message-ID: On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, ekao wrote: > On a post to the Dar Williams list, someone brought up they Might Be giants > when considering who might cover her songs. The poster said: > GIVE ME THIS ADDRESS!!!!!!! DAR LIST!!!!! YEAH!!!!! > To the silly side, how about They Might Be Giants doing Alleluia? Or > (extremely unlikely, and the result could be very strange) Nine Inch Nails > doing Arrival? > What an awesome thought! Alleluia is a great song! For those of you not knowing of the Dar Greatness, she is a folk singer from the East Coast, I believe, and has released several songs including As Cool As I Am and Christians and the Pagans. GREAT songwriter and a beautiful voice. > Well most of you are probablyunfamiliar with Dar, but, its kind of cute > imagining what this might be like! Picture Linnell singing this.. "Now I'm > up in heaven where they say I 'm here to stay, wher the clouds are really > puffy, and the angels sing everyday" etc =) Thats just darn cute. oh well, > fuck cute. > I would love to see this happen almost as much as I would love to hear Weird Al do a cover of IPI. ;-] Death and other assorted funions, Spork Princess Elitza ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970309193615.007c83b0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 19:36:15 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 At 7:02 PM 3/9/97 -0500, Christi587@aol.com's Shoes wrote: >R: We have just been notified that the stunningly aesthetic design #1 has won >the design contest. (Let's all give Evan a farewell round of applause. He was >a tres cool Design Dictator.) This means that it is now time to begin >collecting... FINAL ORDERS! Woo hoo! Why, thank you. One more announcement... The OMLT Voting Page is stiff up, just as it was at it's finest hour. Feel free to visit for nostalgia --> http://omlt.home.ml.org (Just don't use the form!) I have a few things that someone still needs to do (not me): 1) Front Design? Will it be Front and back, or just back? What about having the "Freak Magnet" quote on the sleeve? 2) Actually, that was everything... um... why did I make a numbered list..... >-What is your quest >-What is your favorite color >L: No! No! Forget those last two! And if any of you jokers send barnyard >animal noises or marriage proposals... "ccrrckk" sound> Oh yeah... my right shoe was going to propose, but now you've scared him off. -ec, former Official OMLT Voting Guy ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:40:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309194038_-1003793150@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 << >-What is your quest >-What is your favorite color >> To seek the holy grail... Blue....no red....no ahhhhhhh (splash) Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970309194859.007ca8c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 19:48:59 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 >Why, thank you. One more announcement... The OMLT Voting Page is stiff up, er... still. *Still* up. How embarrassing... -ec ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:53:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309195323_-1639864453@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 In a message dated 97-03-09 19:52:00 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << The OMLT Voting Page is stiff >> Evan, I don't want to know.....let's leave it at that. JOel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703100103.TAA10391@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Token Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:54:11 -0600 ---------- > From: Aaron Cohen > To: Mike Leffel > Subject: Re: TMBG: Token > Date: Sunday, March 09, 1997 4:30 PM > > > >If you sent it by email, then no. > > > > I did send it by email. It worked for Joel > I don't know another way to send it to you. Write back if you have any > other ideas on how to send it or you can email Joel and ask him how he got > it. > Thanks a lot! Wahoo! i like this! Too bad I can't listen to it on cd.. :( But anyway, the Windows claims it's not a valid Wave file. This frightened me, but before I the panic set in, I used the handy dandy wplany.exe, and whoop the whoop, It played! :) Thank you Aaron! Mike "Wizard is cool!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703100232.SAA08371@mta4.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:32:36 -0800 (PST) From: Nick Hatton Subject: TMBG: The OMLT goddess Stop making nitpicks and jokes! Wwe are witnessing a very sad occasion. The OMLT Goddess has died, well been mortaly wounded, well injured due to Flans (I haven't been paying that much attention :) getting married. We can not let her incapacitance be in vain! Let us rally around the OMLT as a show of our support and hope that she will pull through. Anakin .....engaging lurk device..... _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703100256.SAA08688@mta4.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:54:34 -0800 (PST) From: Nick Hatton Subject: TMBG: RA Fake Out after downloading flavor three of Real Audio Player Fake out played fine === .....engaging lurk device..... _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 22:52:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309225205_-1874841664@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: particle man > why does Linnell >sometimes sing: > >They have a fight triangle wins, >Triangle man. > >and > >They have a fight triangle wins, >Particle man. > >??? > >The CD says Tri. Man, but I have seen him many a times say Particle Man > Linnell should be allowed to glue his poster! (NON-TMBG-per se: I find quotes from that song to come along sooooo nicely when you get in a fight with someone! :D ) sarah, gluin' her poster.. :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie# 77216 ~ tmbger#45127 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 23:00:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970309225956_1613350729@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan Oy, sorry for the additional short post, I thought my out box would hold the answer, but with all the email battles I've had lately, it erased it. ;) Could the person who emailed me 2nd about the Dewan tape email me again? I don't think my first response is going to follow through.... (sorry, 1st person!) sarah :) linnellgirl yah yah... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 23:32:53 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: The OMLT Goddess is dead! Message-ID: Well, that's a relief. Although her shoes-talkin thing was sort of unique. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33234628.34E5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:22:16 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Boat of collective car Hey everybody out there in Giant-land! I was fiddling about with my keyboard (musical keyboard) today and figured out how to play a delightful version of "Boat of Car." Needless to say, I was quite pleased. I like my keyboard a lot because it has an organ sound that sounds just like the one used on "Twisting" and "Birdhouse". Anyhow, I will pose two questions to everyone, 1. Have the Giants ever performed a version of the Fingertips Medley in concert??? 2. What is the meaning of existence? (in reference to Brian Doherty). Everybody have a good day, meet the person of your dreams, get a slurpee and eat it with a spork, write a symphony, then have pleasant dreams sleeping with the nite-lite on. Peace in John and John. The St. Louis Art Student, Billy the Kid ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33234DE7.37B5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:55:19 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Cool Review Hey Giant-Lovers, Thought you might like to read this review a friend of mine wrote about the Giants concert here in St. Louis back in January. It was printed in the University News, St. Louis University's newspaper. Joe (the writer) is a big Giant's fan and a colorful author! "MIGHT BE GIANTS MUST BE FUN" By Joe Laramie of the University News Simply put, They Might Be Giants has the most fun when they are among friends; and that's what this group is all about--fun. With two packed shows at Mississippi Nights on Jan. 3 and 4 as part of their Factory Showroom tour, The Giants gave a good sampling of all their major releases. The group also threw in a few creations from their upcoming album, tentatively titled, "Thing", due out sometime next year. Chainsaw Kittens opened the evening around 9p.m. but, unfortunately, they displayed none of the creativity that their name implied. Something called "Bicycle in My Head" was the first number on the set, and featured the lead singer screaming all over the helpless microphone-- with most of the crowd covering their vibrating ears, trying desperately to avoid the horrid racket. One side note: The unkonown drummer bore a striking resemblance to George Clooney in some sort of Jolt Cola-induced stupor. But then, finally, the two Johns (Flansburg--the big one, and Linnell--the skinny one) of They Might Be Giants took the stage, and it was good. They took the sweating, cheering crowd for a mini-loop, starting with an unreleased number called, "Older" but then quickly jumped into the bouncy "James K. Polk" (yes, a mini history about the 11th president). Next, the four-man-band smashed the night open with the cult hit, "Why Does The Sun Shine?" (aka The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas"). Traveling with the two Johns was ever-smiling Gallagher-look-alike drummer Brian Doherty and bass player Graham Maby. This was an unusually small group, since the players have traveled with extra horn players for albums on previous tours. However, the smallness of the band gave the concert a unique closeness and intimacy that has sometimes been lacking at some of the jumbo Pointfest shows in the past few years. Selections included favorites like "Twisting," "Ana Ng," a 10-blissful-minute-long "Spy" version and the hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)." Additionally, the masses hopped and boogied to new selections such as "S-E-X-X-Y" and "Metal Detector." Finally, as mentioned before, the band also sampled a few unreleased songs including, "They Might Be Giants Got Lost Driving Around." The crowd included plenty of teens and college students, along with a good collection of 30 and 40-somethings. One woman in her mid 30's relayed a story of traveling to Detroit and then ambushing the two Johns the afternoon af the show. She leapt a six-foot fence and then recieved an autograph from both-- cheerfully from John Flansburg, solemnly from John Linnell. Such is the dichotomy and duality of the little band from New York. Also at the conclusion of the evening, after two encores, and two solid hours of bouncing and singing, this reporter came home with a valuable souvenir. Shouting at the roadies and pleading, "Can I have Flansburg's sweat-laden towel?" one of the kind crew members grimaced and tossed down just that-- the white towel the lead singer had been mopping his forehead with all evening. Overall, the album Factory Showroom seems to represent much of the best about TMBG, combining some of the wierdness of the first, self-titled release and wackiness of Flood, with the depth and insight of John Henry. If some music lovers don't yet understand this group or don't like anything except "Istanbul" and "Particle Man" this could be the CD that lures them back to the quirky, genre-defying sound that is They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:07:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310010738_-1639824671@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS, cool review Hello 41- DAS- I think for the first time in my life, I called Dial-a-Song and got through on the first time. I belive it was Feel-Good Sublet, and I was happy. Cool Review- This got me thinking... If some obsessive fan (ooooh oooooh!) were to get to the stage area after a TMBG show and some Flansburgh hair, it could be disasterous. I belive it was mentioned about Linnell clones, but I want to bring it up again. What would the world do with all these Johns running around? It would be interesting. That, and how many Gavins of Bush would be out there too though. 8^P Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:27:53 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Boat of collective car Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Mar-97 TMBG: Boat of collective car by Richard Michalski@ix.net > 1. Have the Giants ever performed a version of the Fingertips Medley > in concert??? They have played Everything is Catching on Fire and I'm Having a Heart Attack, both leading into The Statue Got Me High. As far as I know, no other portion of Fingertips has ever appeared in concert. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703100647.AAA16076@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 00:38:20 -0600 ---------- > From: NitpickR@aol.com > Cool Review- This got me thinking... If some obsessive fan (ooooh oooooh!) > were to get to the stage area after a TMBG show and some Flansburgh hair, it > could be disasterous. I belive it was mentioned about Linnell clones, but I > want to bring it up again. What would the world do with all these Johns > running around? ATTENTION PARENTS, FUN-LOVERS, AND POLITICAL CANDIDATES! Now you too can own or rent your own identical copy of the SuperGroup of Rock, They Might Be Giants! Thanks to the science world, cloning of your favorite musical duo is now a possibility! Perfected by an ostentatious research team, each clone of They Might Be Giants is an exact replica, able to sing and entertain well into the night. Need to spice up a birthday party? Have a craving for your favorite They Song? Need a distraction so you can board a plane to Mexico and those annoying pests from 60 Minutes won't leave you alone? Well, if you had your OWN PERSONAL CLONES of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, you could merely pull them out of their handy-dandy storage container and let them go! Watch as John and John peal out ballad after ballad in great tasting They style. Enjoy their antics as They prance around, all the while thinking that they are the Original Giants. For only $29.95, plus Shipping and Handling, you could own these wonderfully identical clones of the Real TMBG! THEYCLONES come with these features, built in to your specifications... *Singing *Songwriting *Instrument Playing *Fear (of fans) *Crabbiness *Forget The Lyrics *Sexual Slave (very, very optional) --and many others! They Might Be Giants Clones. Almost Just As Good As The Real They. Almost. Call now. Operators are standing by! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-69 *****************************