Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-70 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 70 Tuesday, 11 March 1997 Today's Topics: semi-TMBG: A funny commercial TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre TMBG: Mono Puff reference on ESPN? Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review TMBG: help! Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review RE: TMBG: contest proposal TMBG: The OMLT Goddess is dead! RE: TMBG: Re: Tribute Album RE: TMBG: Real Audio now available. TMBG: linnell's marriage Re: TMBG: linnell's marriage Fwd: TMBG: Andy Richter TMBG: Adventures in Stereo TMBG: questions and stuff... TMBG: Clones? Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review RE: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre Re: TMBG: Clones? RE: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre Re: TMBG: Clones? TMBG: Live In New York TMBG: jon vile/yvonne TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-69 TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y TMBG: Christy's death TMBG: Sexual Slave? Re: TMBG: Linnel as a poet TMBG: Dial a Song Re: TMBG: Live In New York Re: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Re: TMBG: Good concert review RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Re: TMBG: Cool Review Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review TMBG: DAS Confusion... TMBG: a simple message... TMBG: Boston? TMBG: calvin show Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? Re: TMBG: questions and stuff... Re: TMBG: calvin show Re: TMBG: Dial a Song TMBG: ticket info for those who care... Re: TOTALLYABSOLUTELY NON TMBG: DELETE NOW I Re: TMBG: a simple message... TMBG: their covers TMBG: NON-TMBG - a little story I wrote TMBG: *wave* Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? TMBG: TMBG on Clarrisa(sp) TMBG: Linnell the Highlander? NON TMBG: Forward Controversy, AGAIN TMBG: New tour dates. RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Re: TMBG: ticket info for those who care... Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-69 Re: TMBG: Best of Mountain Stage NON TMBG: TMBG.ORG COUNTER TMBG: the Land of Anne--They links TMBG: Linnell's wedding RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y TMBG: Chicago TMBG: I've created a monster! Re: TMBG: Boston? Re: TMBG: I've created a monster! Re: TMBG: I've created a monster! TMBG: TMBG's mistake? Re: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? TMBG: Perfs. at Bang On A Can, Lincoln Center Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: semi-TMBG: A funny commercial Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 01:16:00 PST Tonight on Savage Love Live (local radio call in sex advice program) they were doing their sponsorship spots, and I found one for the Showbox very funny, given that this is where TMBG is playing in 21 hours combined with the recent debate over Eric as a member of the band. This weeks sponsorship fax read (as best I can remember): "Help me! This is the good Eric. There is an evil Eric attempting to take over the Showbox. He must be stopped!" ... I think it refers to the fact that someone is trying to take over the theater to turn it back into a strip club, but anyway. And a question for y'all, as I sit here rambling... Is it required that when you go to Ticketbastard to buy a ticket for a TMBG show that when you mention "They Might Be Giants" the person on the other side of the counter says "but maybe they aren't"? It's happened to me twice in the last 36 hours, and the second guy was even a fan (has Flansy's autograph... I'm SO jealous) Whatever.... Michelle P.S. Fellow BFF fans in America... I get a copy of the new CD sometime in the next few days... a friend who works in college radio is sending me a copy. This is a good musical week for me! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 00:29:12 -0800 (PST) From: FRoG Subject: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre Message-ID: Ok Everyone. The ENTIRE November 22, 1996 TMBG concert at the El Rey Theatre in Hollywood, CA is online in REALAUDIO 3.0 format at: http://www.experiment0.scvnet.net/TMBG/ Be gentle on the server, and ENJOY! Streams are 28.8 mono, but sound excellent. FYI: The concert will not be available on CD or tape, so don't bother asking for trades. The original recording was done on DAT, so the quality is excellent. Once again, Enjoy it while it lasts! ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:07:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310090730_1583551102@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff reference on ESPN? Today I was watching Sports Center on ESPN and before the commercial break Dan Patrick (one of the sports anchors) says "When we come back we'll see if Nixon is still the one." TmbgManiac@aol.com members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html -featuring the TMBG answering machine ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:09:44 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Message-ID: On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: ** On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: ** ** > Anyone else download TBAR from tmbg.com and think it's *much* better than ** > the FS version? I *love* the chiming synth! What on earth posessed Them to ** > replace it with a human voice? ** > ** couldn't think of why. The synth adds a great quality to it, of real ** bells, and the human bells are just kind of annoying and cheesy... Uh... maybe I just remember the song wrong, but I could _swear_ they have handbell-sounding things in the background, and Amanda Homi is just singing the same notes as the bells. They replaced the synth with a more real bell sound, and they also added a singer. Maybe you've never listened to it with a good stereo and headphones? I like the synth, but I don't like the guitar. I think the bass and drums are better on CD, as well as that "They hear the sound" part. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:28:00 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review >---------- >> From: NitpickR@aol.com >> Cool Review- This got me thinking... If some obsessive fan (ooooh >oooooh!) >> were to get to the stage area after a TMBG show and some Flansburgh hair, >it >> could be disasterous. I belive it was mentioned about Linnell clones, >but I >> want to bring it up again. What would the world do with all these Johns >> running around? > >ATTENTION PARENTS, FUN-LOVERS, AND POLITICAL CANDIDATES! > >Now you too can own or rent your own identical copy of the >SuperGroup of Rock, They Might Be Giants! Thanks to the science world, >cloning of your favorite musical duo is now a possibility! Perfected >by an ostentatious research team, each clone of They Might Be >Giants is an exact replica, able to sing and entertain well into the night. > you ever had a time when you felt people were trying WAY too hard... *perpetually confused* kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:14:20 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: help! Message-ID: Hey all-- Okay, I need some help here (no, not mental help....at least not right now.....the medication's working...). I got a tape in a trade of some TMBG stuff, and I need the date for it. If anyone knows the date of the following show, let me know privately: TMBG....Rochester, NY....John Henry tour setlist: O Do Not Forsake Me / Don't Let's Start / AKA Driver / WDTSS? / The Statue Got Me High / Sleeping in the Flowers / Shoehorn with Teeth / Ana Ng / Out of Jail / band intro / No One Knows my Plan / the Guitar / Stomp Box / Spy / I Palindrome I / Your Racist Friend / She's an Angel / Meet James Ensor / Birdhouse / Snail Shell / Dig my Grave / Lie Still Little Bottle / The End of the Tour / Twisting / Istanbul / Frankenstein Thanks. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "What you call the cause, I call the cure." --Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Drinking Song" (new album due out tuesday....) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:32:56 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review >Hello 41- > >DAS- I think for the first time in my life, I called Dial-a-Song and got >through on the first time. I belive it was Feel-Good Sublet, and I was >happy. > >Cool Review- This got me thinking... If some obsessive fan (ooooh oooooh!) >were to get to the stage area after a TMBG show and some Flansburgh hair, it >could be disasterous. I belive it was mentioned about Linnell clones, but I >want to bring it up again. What would the world do with all these Johns >running around? It would be interesting. That, and how many Gavins of Bush >would be out there too though. 8^P > >Adam --i believe my sole purpose in life would be to kill all of those gavins... --kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: contest proposal Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 07:43:35 -0800 >---------- >From: Kelley Kent[SMTP:kkent@uc.campus.mci.net] >Sent: Saturday, March 08, 1997 8:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: contest proposal > >I love this list, but I was thinking maybe we could "spice" >it up a bit by possibly organizing a yearly contest or >something. The contest details I leave up to others (should >this idea even get off the runway), but the prize I thought >could be a one-hour interview with Them. Of course, we'd >need someone w/ connections. I thought Leo B. might do. And >the contest would have to give everyone on the lsit a fair >and equal chance. > >I don't know, maybe it's just my finals-fried brain >tallking, but I just thought it would be cool to at least >have a SLIGHT CHANCE of meeting and conversing with the >John's on a 1-1 level. > >I would really like to see this idea through, but if people >don't like it, just let it die with all the other fatal >threads. > >Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) > >Current Favorite TMBG Song: Destination Moon > Actually, wouldn't it be better if we could arrange say just hanging out with Them for a day or so? (: Jesse ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703101618.AA06189@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: The OMLT Goddess is dead! Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:18:58 -0500 (EST) > Well, that's a relief. > > Although her shoes-talkin thing was sort of unique. Well, you know that Springfield, VA will kill a man in his tracks..or a woman..or a shoe (left or right). -- upcoming concerts: James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Tribute Album Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:27:33 -0800 >---------- >From: Chris Combs[SMTP:goatboy@one.net] >Sent: Sunday, March 09, 1997 4:10 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Tribute Album > > When aske dto sing "Them From We Might Be Giants, Too": > >> They've declined. To quote Them, "It's too cheesy to be on >> our own tribute album." (: > > Wow, they actually said *my* idea was cheesy? That's as close a personal >response I think I've ever gotten (except for that Residents/REO Speedwagon >thing). They actually took the time to ridicule my hours (okay moments) of >work? That is so cool! Actually, they didn't say they didn't like the idea. They said it'd be too cheesy to be on their own tribute album. Who knows? They may have said yes if it weren't a tribute album. (: >-Goat Boy aka Any normal person should be offended. >In the CD player now: The Residents' Prelude to "The Teds" (Thanks Robert) Jesse > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Real Audio now available. Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:39:06 -0800 >---------- >From: Leo Bicknell[SMTP:bicknell@ufp.org] >Sent: Sunday, March 09, 1997 9:02 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org; alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Real Audio now available. > > > I have found a way I can offer Real Audio versions of >the prerelease songs for all those people who don't like >WAV files. Check out the preview section at http://www.tmbg.org/ >to try them out. > > If they prove popular I'll convert over the other songs >as well. The quality on these should be much better. Just keep in mind that those of us behind firewalls can't use real-audio. (IE, don't stop posting the .wav's as well) Jesse ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: linnell's marriage Message-ID: <19970310.104836.15486.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:50:04 EST can somebody please clear my confused mind up here: do we know that john linnell is positively married? Or did we just base this on the fact that people have seen him and his g-fry at concerts and somebody else claimed he was wearing a ring?? i dunno i'm just a lil bit confusied! =) upcoming soncerts: Bloodhound gang, Presidents of the USA, No doubt/Weezer, U2, Kula Shaker On a NON-TMBG note: has anyoen ever heard of 'instant lunch' or 'five iron frenzy'?? No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703101753.MAA19852@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell's marriage Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:53:52 -0500 (EST) > can somebody please clear my confused mind up here: > do we know that john linnell is positively married? Or did we just base > this on the fact that people have seen him and his g-fry at concerts and > somebody else claimed he was wearing a ring?? i dunno i'm just a lil bit > confusied! =) When I last called the front office I was told "we can't answer that until John Linnell gets back from his honeymoon." Interpret that as you like. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:09:19 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703101809.KAA15453@f18.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Andy Richter >"I have one of the best conceptual minds of my generation" > >-Andy Richter Forget Harry Solomon. I claim Andy Richter as my new crush.:) > >Mike "Freaky Toupee!" Leffel Anastasia "She's An Angel" Hunt, Mouse Goddess of the World! Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ########################################################## "They were Surfing for souls....to the beat of rock & roll... Allright!" Mono Puff Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:17:43 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Adventures in Stereo Message-ID: Hey all-- I can't remember who it was on this list that mentioned Adventures in Stereo and wondered if it was a real band and all that. Something about Flans suggesting the band at a show or something? Anyway, I now know that a band called Adventures in Stereo does indeed exist. They are currently opening for Pavement on some dates of their European tour. I'm not sure if they will be opening when Pavement comes to America to tour (including St. Louis on April 27!!!), but I'll keep people posted if they're interested. See y'all later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I'm an island of such great complexity..." --Pavement ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:20:32 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: questions and stuff... 1. does anyone have a tape of the 4/92 concert TMBG did at Carnegie Mellon's Spring Carnival? 2. those of you who have seen the new bootleg video - what's the deal with "Melody, fidelity, quantity" from the Apollo 18 promo? I mean, it's that way on the web page, too, and I'm assuming it's not a coincidence.... anyone else notice this? and why don't "credits" or "dial-a-song" go into their songs? :) 3. are there any tapes out there of 2/14/95 or 2/15/95 at the WUST hall (now the 9:30 club) in DC? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:46:34 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: TMBG: Clones? Message-ID: On March 10, NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > running around? It would be interesting. That, and how many Gavins of Bush > would be out there too though. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I'd heard people say cloning was a moral issue, but now I understand. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:54:31 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review >Hello 41- > >DAS- I think for the first time in my life, I called Dial-a-Song and got >through on the first time. I belive it was Feel-Good Sublet, and I was >happy. > >Cool Review- This got me thinking... If some obsessive fan (ooooh oooooh!) >were to get to the stage area after a TMBG show and some Flansburgh hair, it >could be disasterous. I belive it was mentioned about Linnell clones, but I >want to bring it up again. What would the world do with all these Johns >running around? It would be interesting. That, and how many Gavins of Bush >would be out there too though. 8^P > >Adam --i believe my sole purpose in life would be to kill all of those gavins... --kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:59:07 -0800 >---------- >From: FRoG[SMTP:frog@desperado.scvnet.com] >Sent: Monday, March 10, 1997 12:29 AM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre > > Ok Everyone. The ENTIRE November 22, 1996 TMBG concert at the El >Rey Theatre in Hollywood, CA is online in REALAUDIO 3.0 format at: > > http://www.experiment0.scvnet.net/TMBG/ > >Be gentle on the server, and ENJOY! Streams are 28.8 mono, but sound >excellent. FYI: The concert will not be available on CD or tape, so >don't bother asking for trades. The original recording was done on DAT, >so the quality is excellent. > > Once again, Enjoy it while it lasts! > *sniff* What about us poor folk behind firewalls? Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:24:23 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: Re: TMBG: Clones? Cloneing in any form is evil and thats that. IT will oinly lead to making bodies for organ harvesting, and for purposes of war. As a friend said the other night while we were discussing the issue, there is no ethical application for this technol;ogy, hell stop wasting your time cloneing people and go find acure for aids or somthing. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I tried goddamn it, at least I did that" -Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cukoos nest) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:48:29 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: RE: TMBG: November 22, 1996: El Rey Theatre Message-ID: Egad a base tone... > > Ok Everyone. The ENTIRE November 22, 1996 TMBG concert at the El > >Rey Theatre in Hollywood, CA is online in REALAUDIO 3.0 format at: > > > > http://www.experiment0.scvnet.net/TMBG/ > > > >Be gentle on the server, and ENJOY! Streams are 28.8 mono, but sound > >excellent. FYI: The concert will not be available on CD or tape, so > >don't bother asking for trades. The original recording was done on DAT, > >so the quality is excellent. > > > > Once again, Enjoy it while it lasts! > > > Actually the URL is http://experiment0.scvnet.net/TMBG/entrace.html Just thought I'd be of service _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "No man can have a higher moral duty than to Derwent College stand for parliment against David Mellor" University of York Dominic Lawson Heslington York FLUMCAKE ON-LINE: Makes the fakeness realistic YO1 5DD http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...denotes a bad age _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:40:13 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Clones? Message-ID: Okay, I see that this could very quickly degenerate into a serious debate, and since these things never convince anyone one way or another, and since I sort of started it, if everyone is willing, I am killing this thread. Kill kill kill. Dead thread. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970310154242.007cbce0@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:42:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Live In New York Anyone know where I can get Live In NY? Also, what different versions of it are there? -ec ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703102059.AA06440@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: jon vile/yvonne Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:59:01 -0500 (EST) Hi, I was wondering if Jon Vile or Yvonne (in staffordshire?) could please e-mail me. Thanks much! Matt -- upcoming concerts: Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: LS1109@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:00:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310160038_-1841219161@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-69 Does anyone on this list have any TMBG bootlegs?? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970310161342.007cb540@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:13:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Hey, I was reading the Discography and saw under SEXXY Single no mention of a mysterious "Sensurround" SEXXY Single that I saw in a store (Media Play) the day I bought my 5-song SEXXY single. This mysterious single had SEXXY Radio mix, Sensurround and SEXXY Microwave Mix. About a month later I was back at the store and they had the standard "We've Got A World That Swings" SEXXy Single. Anyone know anything about this? Or am I just crazy? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970310212343.006a43f8@mail.vt.edu> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:23:43 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Christy's death >The OMLT Goddess has died, well been mortaly wounded, well injured due >to Flans (I haven't been paying that much attention :) getting >married. Erm, no. That would be Linnell. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Throw off those chains of Reason and your prison disappears." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:35:12 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Sexual Slave? Message-ID: Sorry, but after seeing that last post about THEYclones, I had to ask this? Is TMBG really they kind of band where sex appeal fits into their popularity. I know there are other bands where people are really attracted to a band member (or members) but I have never thought of TMBG as that kind of band. Any comments? And why aren't there any women in TMBG? The women who have guest starred on tracks (such as the Guitar, and that Monopuff song) were really good....seems to add another dimension to They. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:54:24 -0800 (PST) From: Jennifer H Rhoades Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnel as a poet Message-ID: On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, David Simpson wrote: > hey, I'm doing research on Linnel's poetic skills, etc. for a report in > my English class. Can anyone help me? Any facts or insights are greatly > welcomed. Thanx! You might want to look at what I consider to be one of Linnel's central lyrical trends--namely, a recurring juxtaposition of happiness and sadness, a merging of depression and fun. It's a fascinating, jarring, yet somehow so reassuring combination. I've been thinking recently about writing something about this myself. I believe such an investigation leads straight into the heart TheyMightBeGiant-ness. I also think it provides an insight into the evolution of 'pop music' itself. For what is it about pop music, a relatively 'simple' musical form, that makes its popularity so immense? One COULD say, looking at the audience, that it's a simple result of the Lowest Common Denominator Effect, that its simplicity is more easily digestible to the masses--but this misses something important. Rather than looking at the audience for an explanation, we ought to look at the artists themselves. We ought to ask, why is pop music the chosen vehicle for so many contemporary artists/poets/musicians? What is it that appeals to their sensibilities? And, keep in mind, how central 'pop music', in its various forms and genres, is to TMBG. Take the classic "Ana Ng" for example. Lyrically, this is a TRULY DEPRESSING song! What is it about? --A person, desperately lonely, longing for his love to come his way, despairing from the fruitless passage of time, writing a love-letter that he knows will not be received. But listen to the music! The chorus is about as 'poppy' and happy you can get! Other songs to look at: "Mr. Me (He Ended Up Sad)", "Don't Let's Start", "They'll Need a Crane", "The World's Address" (Flansburgh wrote this one, but it fits perfectly), several song-bits in "FingerTips", "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon", "It's Not My Birthday", "When It Rains It Snows", "Which Describes How You're Feeling", more and more..... Anyhow, this is just to get you thinkin.... Hope it helps! -Jenny Rhoades ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dial a Song Message-ID: <19970310.145157.18102.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:53:24 EST okay.... i just got through to dial-a-song for the first time in my life (it's always been busy) and i have a couple of questions..... is it always the same as what's on the website? cuz if it is i really don't need to be making these long distance calls. cuz they played feel-good sublet and well i figure if i already know the song and can sing along i prolly shouldn't waste all thsi money makin long-distance calls. so if anyoen can offer answers thanks! random question of the day: anyone here like bloodhound gang? No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970310221149.006858ac@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:11:49 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Live In New York At 03:42 PM 3/10/97 -0500, you wrote: >Anyone know where I can get Live In NY? I ordered mine from Mod Lang (mod_lang@sirius.com), but I believe that they're sold out by now. If you want, I could tape a copy of my CD for you... >Also, what different versions of it are there? There's the EP that was included with the Australian version of John Henry that only had 6 songs. The radio promo has 26 tracks and 18 or so songs. To my knowledge, it's only officially available on CD. TTYL, -Adam "He-Man" Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:14:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310171403_-802580102@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y My S~E~X~X~Y single has: S~E~X~X~Y (Radio mix) Sensurround Unfogotten We've got a World That Swings S~E~X~X~Y (Microwave Mix) This is the regular one, right? At FMsingles.com they have I think three versions, the one I have, and two shorter ones, so that's probably what you're talking about. ~Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970310171425.007cb8c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:14:25 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? Why aren't there any men in Cub? There are tons (literally) of bands with no women in them. As for sex appeal... sorry, being a hetero male I can't help you there. At 04:35 PM 3/10/97 -0500, Justin Higgins wrote: >as that kind of band. Any comments? And why aren't there any women in >TMBG? The women who have guest starred on tracks (such as the Guitar, >and that Monopuff song) were really good....seems to add another >dimension to They. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 17:24 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 >1) Front Design? Will it be Front and back, or just back? What about having >the "Freak Magnet" quote on the sleeve? Er, why not just have the "freak magnet" quote on the front? Kirsten (smiling sweetly and ducking flying otters) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:24:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310172249_-1472904056@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Good concert review Paul Westerburg (sp?) came ot with a new solo album recently. Two of the songs on "14 Songs" are on the "Singles" soundtrack. One of them was a minor hit a few years back. (Na na na na. Na na na nana!) };>] Dan E . Boy ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:38:28 -0800 >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ee.net] >Sent: Monday, March 10, 1997 1:13 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y > >Hey, I was reading the Discography and saw under SEXXY Single no mention of >a mysterious "Sensurround" SEXXY Single that I saw in a store (Media Play) >the day I bought my 5-song SEXXY single. This mysterious single had SEXXY >Radio mix, Sensurround and SEXXY Microwave Mix. About a month later I was >back at the store and they had the standard "We've Got A World That Swings" >SEXXy Single. Anyone know anything about this? Or am I just crazy? there are indeed two versions of the single. Both can be purchased from CDNow. (: >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org Jesse ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:45:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310174401_1780722600@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cool Review Oh my god!!! We met that lady (who jumped over the fence) at the 2/21 show! She was really-- scary-- but nice--in as scary kinda way... wow. once again, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:47:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310174711_-1204725587@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, cool review >Call now. Operators are standing by! Smokin' cigarrettes and drinking coffee... Very, truly sorry, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:54:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310175241_1483000986@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS Confusion... Just wondering: Are TMBG and Mono Puff two separate bands, or what? Well I mean, of course they are, but they do a helluva lot of song sharing: Upon calling [TMBG's] Dial-A-Song, my ears were greeted with the melodious unplugged sound of "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head." Now, I don't have any problem with this (especially cause I'm not too far from N.Y.C. and now that DAS is back up, I will be calling it hourly) , but it got me thinking: are most of the Mono Puff songs just leftovers from TMBG? I've heard TMBG versions of "Nixon's the One" and "So Long Mockingbird", too. -Kame "it's Japanese for 'Turtle Master' " sennin. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:59:50 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: TMBG: a simple message... do you suppose that after 50 or so years(or at least some of us hope they'll play that long)They might start to run out of songs to write and chords to play or are they so damn creative that They'll never run out of ideas... -kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:01:01 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: Hello. I remember reading last weekend about a possible TMBG show in Boston, but I accidentally erased it, and I was wondering if any of you kind fellow fans would oblige me with the truth, and if possible the facts of this. Love Olivia ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 18:14 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: calvin show Hey, anybody know if the show at Calvin College April 21st is gonna be students only? (Phil? You out there? Email me.. I'm considering bribing my mother.. then maybe she'll let me go..) Kirsten (who is bound and determined to see TMBG sometime this year) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:27:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310182706_1425575498@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? In a message dated 97-03-10 16:38:39 EST, jhiggins@CapAccess.org (Justin Higgins) writes: << The women who have guest starred on tracks (such as the Guitar, and that Monopuff song) were really good....seems to add another dimension to They. >> Let's not forget the infamous Theme From Flood. A woman's 29 seconds of glory....=) Joel "The new message board is durn good" Gedalius PS: Leo, do I get any prize for advertising? eh? How 'bout the lint from the bike lock contest??? ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:30:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310182906_1483002061@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: questions and stuff... In a message dated 97-03-10 13:24:40 EST, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: << 2. those of you who have seen the new bootleg video - what's the deal with "Melody, fidelity, quantity" from the Apollo 18 promo? I mean, it's that way on the web page, too, and I'm assuming it's not a coincidence.... anyone else notice this? and why don't "credits" or "dial-a-song" go into their songs? :) >> According to the promo, it is the formula that They use to make songs that are better than everyone elses. Other's have tried, but failed to master the formula. POWER SPHERES ROCK!!! Joel "Has no clue what he's talking about" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:35:16 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: calvin show Message-ID: Hey/hay, This is in MI, right? RIGHT?????? April 21.... Hmmmm. Possible.... yes, possible..... Calvin College (Coolidge?). Perhaps, my pet, perhaps.. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* SPORK } Elitza aka Spork Princess ^ STARFISH } Wow! What a ana-ng@poetic.com * SILVER } gal! http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317^ GREEK/IRISH} ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > Hey, anybody know if the show at Calvin College April 21st is > gonna be students only? (Phil? You out there? Email me.. I'm considering > bribing my mother.. then maybe she'll let me go..) > > Kirsten > (who is bound and determined to see TMBG sometime this year) > -- > "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:38:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310183659_-936686888@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial a Song In a message dated 97-03-10 18:29:13 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) writes: << (it's always been busy) and i have a couple of questions..... is it always the same as what's on the website? cuz if it is i really don't need to be making these long distance calls. cuz they played feel-good sublet and well i figure if i already know the song and can sing along i prolly shouldn't waste all thsi money makin long-distance calls. so if anyoen can offer answers thanks! >> Also, how often do they change the songs at (718)387-6962 ??? Joel tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:44:55 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: TMBG: ticket info for those who care... for anybody who cares and/or hasn't found out themselves and/or is going to go see THEY at westminster maryland "western maryland college"(friday april 18) i called this morning and they said: tickets go on sale march 24 for non students(i guess they go on sale earlier for students), they are 14 dollars a pop and they said somethin about ticket vendors*perpetually confused*, or you can get them at the college...so of course i'll be there at the college the 24th for my ticket *yippie* my first THEY concert!!! --just thought someone out there might want to know-- -kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon *teeheehee*... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:47:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310184630_821948185@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TOTALLYABSOLUTELY NON TMBG: DELETE NOW I >TOTALLYABSOLUTELY NON TMBG: DELETE NOW IF YOU WISH >Fwd: [Fwd: An Elmo Picture!] ::sigh:: No matter _how_ much we express these aren't supposed to be sent to the list, people still do it? I wouldn't waste time replying to this, but some people just *still* aren't getting the message..... btw - it's hard to just "delete now" on digest format, huh? Even if I _wanted_ to forward it on... this is all part of the digest, the way I get it...Okay, if you really think it should go to the list, pleease at least - delete the headers. >Don't worry, it's not a chain letter! (written by someone in the headers)-- I don't know why I feel I should respond to this, but a chain letter is something that is passed on -- so yes, it is in fact _a_ chain letter. sarah, who would add some tMBg content, not to make herslf look like a hypocrite, but is waaaay to tired to think... :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:51:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310185115_308376009@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: a simple message... In a message dated 97-03-10 18:27:58 EST, nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) writes: << do you suppose that after 50 or so years(or at least some of us hope they'll play that long)They might start to run out of songs to write and chords to play or are they so damn creative that They'll never run out of ideas... -kevin shiner >> NO!!! THEY CAN"T. Then They won't have anything new to play at World Tour 2040!!!! Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703102350.KAA11496@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: their covers Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:50:28 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" hey i realise it's an old thread by now (i'm up to about 500 unread left in my mailbox), but last thurs night at our uni bar bodyjar played a cover of racist friend. much faster and bodyjarish....weird, but it was interesting hearing it. tamara. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG - a little story I wrote Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:56:30 -0800 Okie folks, just in case you're interested, I'm starting a small little series called "Tales of Tails" on the sci-fi web site. Basically, it's an ongoing set of episodes I'm sorta playing around with when I get bored at work (since I can't work on my novel except at home, where it resides.) The address is: http://www.scifi.com/cgi-bin/rbox/articles.pl?3&10&5 Select #8, Tales of Tails. Also, please don't reply on there. I prefer in-person replies. IE, email me directly. (: Oh, and for those of you wondering, I'm posting this here cause it's something the type of people who are on here might enjoy. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: *wave* Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:01:52 -0800 Bye y'all! I'm off work and on my way to the concert! I'll let ya know about it tomorrow morn. Jesse ------------------------------ From: JulyG@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:09:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310190904_1550122646@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? TMBG DON'T NEED A GIRL! ACTUALLY I THINK IT WOULDN'T BE AS GOOD WITH GIRL UP THERE ON STAGE WITH THEM. BY THE WAY I DO THINK THAT THE JOHNS ARE KINDA APPEALING----- I MEAN THEY DON'T EXACTLY HAVE WHAT YOU WOULD CALL "SEX APPEAL" BUT I WOULD TAKE EITHER ONE......................... JULIE ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970310181137#54@acme.computer-services.com From: "Microserf" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Clarrisa(sp) Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:07:32 -0600 Sorry, it's old, but a few days ago on Clarissa Explains it All, (It was a rerun of an old episode, and I walked through the room whilst my brother was watching it) she had a exact Flood symbol as a poster type thing hanging on her wall above and to the left of her bed. Anyone else notice this? I personally don't care for the show, but it was kool nonetheless. hehehehe. :-) Microserf Assistant System Administrator Acme Communications (http://www.acmeonline.net) (ftp://ftp.acmeonline.net) microserf@acmeonline.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970311003709.006aaf94@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:37:09 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Linnell the Highlander? >Blake's close friend JOHN LINNELL commissioned him to repreoduce some of >his colour art works in black-and-white engravings. Isn't that great? >Then, on the other side (they were on this panel thing set up in a kind >of triangle shape), was an engraving by Linnell himself. It was so weird >to read this name, and think of one person, and know its someone else >long dead. Of course, when I first saw the name, I started laughing, >inducing everyone to stare at me...ah well. Has any one else seen any of >Linnell's engravings? I wonder if this is a distant relative of our John? This reminds me of my Surreal TMBG Experience, which happened to me about a year ago. I was at the Palace of the Legion of Honor (in San Francisco) with assorted members of my family. As I was poking around one of the rooms featuring Renaissance furniture (there are a *lot* of rooms like that; I guess the Palace curators really like Renaissance furniture) I came across a desk-and-chair set. Its little explanatory placard stated that it had been crafted by one John Linnell. *insert sound of nicole screaming* I betcha anything he's an Immortal. Notice how recent pictures of him look very much like older pictures of him. :) >THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AND SEVERAL CORPORATE >>SPONSORS HAVE AGREED TO DONATE THREE CENTS TOWARD >>CONTINUING CANCER RESEARCH FOR EVERY NEW PERSON THAT >>GETS FORWARDED THIS MESSAGE. Now wait just a darned moonie! The American Cancer Society has agreed to donate money to cancer research? What have they been doing up 'til now, gambling away people's donations? This smells reeeel fishy to me, guys. Ten bucks says it's an evil plot to collect e-mail addresses. While we're at it, let's make a concerted effort to NOT post forwards to the list, 'k? No matter how good the cause is. Not even cute pictures of Elmo, pseudo-poetry about drinking and driving, etc. Not even if you write NON-TMBG in the subject line; please have pity on those of us who get the digest. A big hug, a bouquet of flowers, and a get-well-soon card to the OMLT goddess; hope she gets back on her feet real soon! --nicole the wonder nerd who is mad because she just spent 2 hours patching holes in her bike tire and the thing is STILL flat... *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:54:53 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310195451_652258733@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON TMBG: Forward Controversy, AGAIN In a message dated 97-03-10 19:51:55 EST, ana.ng@tmbg.org (Nicole the Wonder Nerd) writes: << While we're at it, let's make a concerted effort to NOT post forwards to the list, 'k? No matter how good the cause is. Not even cute pictures of Elmo, pseudo-poetry about drinking and driving, etc. Not even if you write NON-TMBG in the subject line; please have pity on those of us who get the digest. >> Ok, once again I am sorry, but I figured since it was for a good cause and I posted in the subject NONTMBG... it would be okay....I failed to think about the poor digest people...please spare my life...I don't want this to become another thread, but would it be okay if it was a cute picture of They instead of Elmo?? I don't see anyone objecting to that, but okay, I'll stop rambling now, and I'll stop posting forwards... Joel "I am starting to copy Mike Leffel" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703110131.UAA01062@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: New tour dates. Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:31:17 -0500 (EST) The Pollstar link on www.tmbg.org has turned up some new dates. The ones in Australlia and Japan may interest our overseas fans. You might want to take a look for a concert near you. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:43:11 -0500 (EST) From: Dan McNevin Subject: RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Message-ID: > >a mysterious "Sensurround" SEXXY Single that I saw in a store (Media Play) > >the day I bought my 5-song SEXXY single. This mysterious single had SEXXY > >Radio mix, Sensurround and SEXXY Microwave Mix. About a month later I was > >back at the store and they had the standard "We've Got A World That Swings" > >SEXXy Single. Anyone know anything about this? Or am I just crazy? > > there are indeed two versions of the single. > Both can be purchased from CDNow. (: there are more than that.. there's the 3 song cd version w/o sensurround and unforgotten, the 5 song cd with those 2, and then the 12" lp with 5 remixes of s-e-x-x-y, and nothing else, i assume there is probably a cassette single of it as well, but i've never seen it, if it had songs tha aren't on the other 3, i'd be mad, i've spent enough on that damned single already :) dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:01:29 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: ticket info for those who care... >hey, cool thanks for posting bout this. I may or may not go (yes a >shock to me too =o we're talking by choice here), but in any case, what >other bands willbe playing there, if any?? >Ellen > the people there didn't tell me, they sounded in a rush(either that or they didn't want to talk to some annoying high school student who didn't apply to their school--ya think if you apply to that school you get first dibs on the tickets?), but, really, i don't care who else is playin--silverchair*gag* could be playin and i'd still go(and i HATE silverchair)...if i had seen They before i might care...wait no, probably still wouldn't care......... and in response to: <> well, if they are so creative and as full of ideas as some say They are, then they'll have plenty of new stuff to play... but then there is mike leffel who states: <> which, in some cases, i must truthfully, and sadly so that no one thinks that i do not like Their stuff, agree... and there was a look through the eyes of a shinedog... --kevin shiner, shinedog, the illuminated canine resting in the shrine of the illuminated canine... in my cd player: the torn, shredded, and mutilated remains of john lennon *teeheehee*... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:57:54 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-69 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Mar-97 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest .. by LS1109@aol.com > Does anyone on this list have any TMBG bootlegs?? No. I have no bootlegs, and all the bootlegs I don't have are definitely not listed at http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/tapes.html Absolutely *no* TMBG bootlegs to be found there... nope. ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:04:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310210423_1814260668@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Best of Mountain Stage I was in my lo-cal Sound Shop today and I was looking through their album and artist directory and I went directly to TMBG... they had all their albums (-FS [not updated]) and I saw the Carmen Sandiego thing, and I saw Best of Mountin Stage... what is this? I assume it is live, what is on there? /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > 4. Whistle the first seven notes of "It's a Small World" incessantly. < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:10:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310211054_380824992@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON TMBG: TMBG.ORG COUNTER I am proud to say that at 9:04 EST tonight, I was visitor number 80,000 to www.tmbg.org....congrats to Leo! joel tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 21:47:51 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: the Land of Anne--They links Message-Id: <970310.215005.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hello all! i would like to inform everyone that my They links page is officially as complete as it gets, as far as i can tell right now. please check it out at : http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt/tmbg.html or just get to it from my main page, which is in my .sig below. please tell me if stuff isn't right or if changes should be made or if you have additions or if you like it or if you hate it or whatever. :D i'd like to get it as superterrific as possible. :) take care, all! and if anyone has any information on the CALVIN show in michigan, let me know please, please, please!!! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linnell's wedding Message-ID: <19970310.221749.4350.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:17:12 EST hey guys ;-) I read on the TMBG newsgroup that someone was getting an accordian fixed in New York and the owner of this shop claims to have played at Linnell's wedding. His group is called something like The International Playboys and they play jazz, big band type of music. No TMBG songs were played. I didn't find out many other details about the wedding other than the fact that Linnell and his new wife honeymooned in the Carolinas somewhere (oh, so close to me, yet so far, far away...). Just thought I'd pass on the info;-). Jen ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:36:54 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: RE: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y >there are more than that.. there's the 3 song cd version w/o sensurround >and unforgotten, the 5 song cd with those 2, and then the 12" lp with 5 >remixes of s-e-x-x-y, and nothing else, i assume there is probably a >cassette single of it as well, but i've never seen it, if it had songs tha >aren't on the other 3, i'd be mad, i've spent enough on that damned single >already :) For answers to most of these questions, see John Relph's discography at: http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ Of course, this page is linked to from www.tmbg.org. However, there is at least one version of the S-E-X-X-Y single not listed there. I saw it today in Wherehouse, but didn't buy it because it was an import going for 10 bucks and I already had a copy of the normal one. The track listing was: S-E-X-X-Y (Radio Mix) SenSurround Unforgotten We've Got A World That Swings S-E-X-X-Y (The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix) S-E-X-X-Y (Tee's Freeze Mix) I'll check for more info like release numbers and such for the discography when I get a chance. -- Jonathan Chaffer mailto:jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Student, University of Michigan My Mac: finger:@tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "You wanna see pressure, pal? Be glad I'm not wearing high heels." --Dr. Tim "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:40:51 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970310224049_1814266614@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Chicago Does anyone know how to order tickets for the chicago show????? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:05:59 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970310230955.21d731f2@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: I've created a monster! Good evening... They said it couldn't be done, but I proved them all wrong!! I have accomplished the seemingly impossible! A few days ago, while walking around my laboratory and singing "I'll Sink Manhattan" out loud, I was struck with the realization that "ISM"and "SEXXY" are very similar in structure. So I proceeded to combine the lyrics from "ISM" with the music of "SEXXY" Working day and night, I sewed bits and pieces of the two songs together until finally, with a flick of a switch and a burst of electricity, my monster was singing!! It's frightning, sloppy, and incomplete, but what is there will amaze you! If you dare, go to http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/sounds/ and hear this hideous creation. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:07:51 -0500 (EST) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: > Hello. I remember reading last weekend about a possible TMBG show in > Boston, but I accidentally erased it, and I was wondering if any of you > kind fellow fans would oblige me with the truth, and if possible the > facts of this. Yep, theres a concert for TMBG at the Avalon on April ... 5th, I think.. It's a Saturday. Tickets are 15$ + service charge + convenience charge = ~$21 after Ticketbastard's pricing scheme. Already got my tickets, and I'm pshcyed!!! whoa.. total misspelling.. *sigh* oh well. :) -Adam ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ Well is it true it's always happy hour here? Cuz if it is I'd like to stay awhile. And as cliche as it may sound I'd like to raise another round... and here's to life. -The Refreshments *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ------------------------------ Message-id: <3056316@hanover.VALLEY.NET> Date: 10 Mar 97 23:38:48 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: TMBG: I've created a monster! Everyone go, but the URL he posted is wrong, it's really... www.yucc.yorku.edu/~flippy/tmbg/sound.html Check it out. Check it so totally out ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:57:58 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970311000151.21d7443e@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: I've created a monster! At 23:38 3/10/97 EST, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: >Everyone go, but the URL he posted is wrong, it's really... > > >www.yucc.yorku.edu/~flippy/tmbg/sound.html See...that's what happens when you take too much crack You forget the URL to your own homepage. In fact, I think our friend Rob has been *eating* those little white rocks, 'cause he posted the wrong URL too! For the third, and hopefully last time, the correct URL for Mr. Flippy's TMBG Sound Gallery is: http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/sounds.html I repeat: http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/sounds.html Thank you, and goodnight. Alex ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:32:49 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? Hmmm... it appears there are some songs we'll never hear in concert again, thanks to the fact that They relied on a visiting lead guitarist to record and perform them, and now he's gone... Till My Head Falls Off is probably gone forever... same for Metal Detector, Spiraling Shape and Counterfeit Faker... and they've never even tried The Bells are Ringing. Look what happened when they lost the horns - no more Statue, no more Angel, Purple Toupee, Stomp Box, Racist Friend... what's next? Linnell decides he's had enough of the accordion and we never hear Subliminal, Shoehorn with Teeth or Turn Around again? I like the format they had in the summer of 1993 - guitar, accordion/sax, drums, bass, sax/clarinet/keyboard, trumpet, trombone. That's right, 7 musicians at most, and at least 5... if only they would realize how much we all miss that.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970311004509.00b1b2cc@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:45:12 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? >I like the format they had in the summer of 1993 - guitar, >accordion/sax, drums, bass, sax/clarinet/keyboard, trumpet, trombone. >That's right, 7 musicians at most, and at least 5... if only they would >realize how much we all miss that.... Absolutely. The Apollo 18 tour is the finest ever to grace this fair green planet. I prize my Dr. Spock's tape, and my pink album shows more than any other tapes. And how much fun was Frankenstein! It seems like, once 1994 hit, the same fun was lost. Ahh... Kurt, Jim, Randy, where are you? =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ From: Joshua Fried Message-Id: <199703110617.BAA25883@escape.com> Subject: TMBG: Perfs. at Bang On A Can, Lincoln Center Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 01:17:40 -0500 (EST) Subject: Joshua Fried bangs headphones uptown Dear Friend/Associates-- I'm sending this notice to a handful of friends, some people who asked to be informed by email, and a few select others whom I thought might be interested. If you receive more than one copy, or don't want mailings like this, my apologies. Let me know and I'll take care of it. My work will be performed at the Bang On A Can Festival--at Lincoln Center! This is experimental stuff with *Headphone-driven Performance* and electronic back-up; more about this below. WHAT: Two sections of HEADSET SEXTET by Joshua Fried PERFORMED BY: The Bang On A Can All-Stars WHERE: The Bang On A Can Festival Lincoln Center, Walter Reade Theater Broadway & West 65th Street, Plaza level WHEN: Monday, March 17, 1997, 7:30pm WELL?: Centercharge 212/721-6500 The two sections are "Simple Canon" and "Axis Theme", the latter adapted from my recent collaboration with choreographer Douglas Dunn, with a text by Ruth Margraff. This work uses *Headphone-driven Performance* plus musical accompaniment on tape. Stop me if you've heard this before, but: In HEADPHONE-DRIVEN PERFORMANCE performers try to imitate vocal sounds that are played over headphones. The performers have never heard these sounds before, and yet they are asked to reproduce the input as it happens--with every word, pitch and expression accurate and NO LAG TIME WHATEVER. This last requirement makes the task quite impossible and the result resembles a bizarre, mostly undecipherable unknown language--even though the source material is, for the most part, plain spoken English. Frankly, it's a blast, to do, to see, to hear. Much of the material is extremely emotional--but garbled--and formally it's pretty tightly structured. Anyway, I've been doing this in different places and forms for a while as you probably know. The Bang On A Can All-Stars are a great new music ensemble and act as the Bang On A Can Festival house band, usually keys, cello, clarinet/sax, guitar, double bass and percussion, but for me they'll be singing, warbling, spluttering, etc. I've been rehearsing with them this past week (the TECHNIQUE, NOT the MATERIAL!) and the results are exciting. I wanted you to know. Thanks for reading. Joshua Fried jf@escape.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-70 *****************************