Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-71 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 71 Wednesday, 12 March 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: New tour dates. Re: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? is Creedence Clearwater Revival's strength! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-70 Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? TMBG: TMBG's mistake? TMBG: Sexxy/I'll Sink Manhattan TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: Dial a Song RE: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? TMBG: Seattle Concert Review TMBG: Oh, and also Re: TMBG: ticket info for those who care... TMBG: Band members Re: Fwd: TMBG: Andy Richter TMBG: Oh, one other song TMBG: Non TMBG Self-Promotion and a question TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements TMBG: thing TMBG: SEXXY/SINK TMBG: New Concord TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: Boston? RE: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements RE: TMBG: Boston? Re: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, TMBG: He was right... TCNJ tickets on sale tommorrow! NON-TMBG: BFF SonicNet TMBG: cdnow "generes" TMBG: ESPN TMBG: Show last night! TMBG: Weep Day NON-TMBG: BFF Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes TMBG: Bootleg TMBG: Boat of Auto TMBG: SEXXY Single Re: TMBG: Best of Mountain Stage TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive TMBG: Comedy Central TMBG: Urine Man? Re: TMBG: Boat of Auto Re: TMBG: Urine Man? Re: TMBG: SEXXY/SINK and Upcoming Concert!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: New tour dates. Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 02:33:05 PST ---------- | | | The Pollstar link on www.tmbg.org has turned up some new | dates. The ones in Australlia and Japan may interest our | overseas fans. You might want to take a look for a concert | near you. | I'm looking around for a concert near me, rummaging through the muck, but having a difficult time finding one at the moment. WAIT! There's one... leaving town, on it's way to Portland... the John's invited me to attend, but, sadly I must work tomorrow... so I will just have to have memories of the concert I just got home from to keep me going until the next time. :) Look to the next message for a more thorough review of the show, as it fits in with something else posted earlier, and i haven't figured out how to meld all the different messages together into one. Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? is Creedence Clearwater Revival's strength! Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 02:46:37 PST Just got home from the Seattle show! Yay! They were pretending to be Creedence Clearwater Revival tonight. (Hey you Seattlites - it fits in with the fish theme... CLEARWATER!)... Featuring Dan Fogerty, John Fogerty, John Fogerty, and a whole bunch of other fogerties... 80 million records sold, one million in royalties received. Seeing that people have either (a) been to a TMBG show before, and know the basic routine, or (b) will be going to a TMBG show someday, and will want a bit of the mystery in tact I shall just post the highlights.... ---------- | | Hmmm... it appears there are some songs we'll never hear in concert | again, thanks to the fact that They relied on a visiting lead guitarist | to record and perform them, and now he's gone... Till My Head Falls Off | is probably gone forever... same for Metal Detector, Spiraling Shape and | Counterfeit Faker... and they've never even tried The Bells are Ringing. Spiraling Shape was on the bill tonight... and when I originally read this message I thought there were other songs in this post which applied, but it's late and I'm tired. Highlights of the evening: * They played #3, which is the song that is the reason I became a They Might Be Giants Fanatic, so I'm glad I finally got to hear it live. * They played aforementioned song, as well as a few others, with just John, John, and the tape machine, blatantly plugging the upcoming CD. * Your own Worst Enemy was on the setlist twice, so they played it twice. After the first time Linnel said, "You'll get to hear this song again later on tonight"... the second time through they played it superfast, and Linnell explained it was because they accidentally wrote it on the setlist twice. * While setting up the puppetheads for encore #1/2 Mr. Roadie was having a tough time detangling one of the strings, so they broke into this cool jazz improv. * The banter was especially witty and topical this evening, making reference to the Moore Theater (where they've played in the past) and The coffee company whose name shall not be mentioned. * They invited us all to Portland to watch the show tomorrow night, to prove that their banter was original and they were not showbiz sellouts... to which our list friend Jesse replied "But you are!' Which got a rise out of Mr. Flansburgh, despite the fact that early on in the show when people were shouting out song titles they wanted to hear Mr. Flansy stated "we're wearing earplugs so we can't hear what you're saying... it helps get us close to the audience" * Brian Dewan opened, no Chainsaw Kittens for us! I'm sure there were other highlights right now, although I can't think of any... I'll allow the other Seattleites to clue y'all in on the rest. By the way, if you ever get the chance to meet Jesse in person bring along some Sweet and Sour sauce... he can get a little out of control at times, but when he snorts that sauce it just seems to mellow him out. :) Off to have some happy dreams of Them... Michelle ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:38:19 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-70 > >>THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AND SEVERAL CORPORATE >>>SPONSORS HAVE AGREED TO DONATE THREE CENTS TOWARD >>>CONTINUING CANCER RESEARCH FOR EVERY NEW PERSON THAT >>>GETS FORWARDED THIS MESSAGE. > >Now wait just a darned moonie! The American Cancer Society has agreed to >donate money to cancer research? What have they been doing up 'til now, >gambling away people's donations? This smells reeeel fishy to me, guys. >Ten bucks says it's an evil plot to collect e-mail addresses. Yes, it _is_ a complete hoax. If you go to the American Cancer Society's Web page they tell you that themselves. And, anyway, what else would they be doing with their money - buying lottery tickets? They've been inundated with a load of rubbish through email recently wasting a lot of their valuable time - please don't perpetuate this any longer by forwarding it to anyone. And have a brain - did it really look convincing in the first place? I for one get really pissed off with such stupidity (anyone for the Good Times virus?). Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: Sexual Slave? Message-Id: Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:27:10 +0000 () On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:09:05 -0500 (EST) JulyG@aol.com wrote: > TMBG DON'T NEED A GIRL! ACTUALLY I THINK IT WOULDN'T BE > AS GOOD WITH GIRL UP THERE ON STAGE WITH THEM. BY THE > WAY I DO THINK THAT THE JOHNS ARE KINDA APPEALING----- > I MEAN THEY DON'T EXACTLY HAVE WHAT YOU WOULD CALL > "SEX APPEAL" BUT I WOULD TAKE EITHER ONE......................... > > JULIE But what if the female on stage was really good? or doesn't that come into it? I can't remember who said that it added a new dimension, but they were right. Some of their songs have certain effects or sounds or ideas and others have other ones and that's what makes tmbg so varied and different. As for sex appeal, if people are more likely to support a band because of how they look, or so they can fantasize about them then The spice girls are probably more their thing or something??!!!! chrissy x ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703111439.AA07206@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:39:39 -0500 (EST) > Hmmm... it appears there are some songs we'll never hear in concert > again, thanks to the fact that They relied on a visiting lead guitarist > to record and perform them, and now he's gone... Till My Head Falls Off > is probably gone forever... same for Metal Detector, Spiraling Shape and > Counterfeit Faker... and they've never even tried The Bells are Ringing. If they set their minds to it, they can arrange any song to be played with whatever amount of musicians they have. This may not be the best way to do it, but it generally is pretty interesting. > > Look what happened when they lost the horns - no more Statue, no more > Angel, Purple Toupee, Stomp Box, Racist Friend... The horns are back in full again, I don't think they were gone for very long? > > what's next? Linnell decides he's had enough of the accordion and we > never hear Subliminal, Shoehorn with Teeth or Turn Around again? Linnell played quite a bit of accordian at Then: The Early Years show, of course that was the earlier stuff, he does seem to be relying more on the keyboard these days... > > I like the format they had in the summer of 1993 - guitar, > accordion/sax, drums, bass, sax/clarinet/keyboard, trumpet, trombone. > That's right, 7 musicians at most, and at least 5... if only they would > realize how much we all miss that.... I like when they have the 2 horns and Kurt Hoffman on sax, as well as drum, bass, Flans & Linnell, that does make for a very cool concert! Matt -- upcoming concerts: James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970311154203.0066b7cc@awod.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:42:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Sexxy/I'll Sink Manhattan That was great, Mr. Flippy!!! :> Hey, that's one quick way to cover 2 songs for the tribute album... :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Message-Id: <9703110757.ZM11574@mando.engr.sgi.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:57:17 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >For answers to most of these questions, see John Relph's discography at: > > http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ Another incorrect URL! The correct URL is: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ >I'll check for more info like release numbers and such for the discography >when I get a chance. Excellent! -- John ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dial a Song Message-ID: <19970311.093004.14806.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:31:36 EST okay.... i just got through to dial-a-song for the first time in my life (it's always been busy) and i have a couple of questions..... is it always the same as what's on the website? cuz if it is i really don't need to be making these long distance calls. cuz they played feel-good sublet and well i figure if i already know the song and can sing along i prolly shouldn't waste all thsi money makin long-distance calls. so if anyoen can offer answers thanks! random question of the day: anyone here like bloodhound gang? No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:42:47 -0800 >---------- >From: Lawrence P Solomon[SMTP:lps+@andrew.cmu.edu] >Sent: Monday, March 10, 1997 9:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG's mistake? > >Hmmm... it appears there are some songs we'll never hear in concert >again, thanks to the fact that They relied on a visiting lead guitarist >to record and perform them, and now he's gone... Till My Head Falls Off >is probably gone forever... same for Metal Detector, Spiraling Shape and >Counterfeit Faker... and they've never even tried The Bells are Ringing. They played Spiraling Shape last night. >Look what happened when they lost the horns - no more Statue, no more >Angel, Purple Toupee, Stomp Box, Racist Friend... They played some John Henry songs last night without the horns. Sounded different, but they still played them. >what's next? Linnell decides he's had enough of the accordion and we >never hear Subliminal, Shoehorn with Teeth or Turn Around again? *laugh* He'll never give up the accordion. He's stated as much. >I like the format they had in the summer of 1993 - guitar, >accordion/sax, drums, bass, sax/clarinet/keyboard, trumpet, trombone. >That's right, 7 musicians at most, and at least 5... if only they would >realize how much we all miss that.... Bah! Things change, time moves on. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:04:02 -0800 Wooga. This is a tired Jesse. Coming to you live from his cubicle at work. After getting less than 5 hours of sleep. After the concert last night. Well, I got there around, oh, 5:00. Lani had been walking back and forth, and finally found me around 5:15. Then her friend showed up. Then Michelle actually showed up. Then we wandered and discussed informing Them that the theme for the night was "fish", and that They would have to sing only fish- related songs. (So of course their Clearwater thing fit right in) (: Anyway, we wandered a bit. The market closed. While wandering we noticed fish signs everywhere. (: We wandered to the restaurant that shares a wall with the Showbox, and ate Chinese. Snorting sweet-and-sour sauce is painful. Not calming in the slightest bit. *poking Michelle* Anyway, we all meandered a bit then. Michelle back to her car to go pick up her friend who was just getting off work (they arrived later about a 15 minutes before the show), Lani and her friend back to his car to put away his glasses and their leftovers (we all had leftovers. guess what's in my lunch today?) and me back to my car to change. Well, I changed in the restroom of the restaurant, actually, but that wasn't really necessary to say, now was it? So anyway, I picked up the full-sized broom I had bought for the concert (yes, that's right, I said FULL-SIZED BROOM) and headed back to the Showbox, where Lani and her friend were already waiting. We meandered into the lounge, where I was told I'd have to check my broom at the coat check-in by a VERY VERY large bouncer-type (6'6" 350lbs or so). So anyway we stood around in the lounge until they let those of us who had already come in get our tickets torn/hands stamped first, and then we got to wait in front of the door with the "2 drink minimum in the Showbox" sign. Not that we had anything to drink. Well, except for Lani's friend, who foolishly bought a $3.50 16oz Molson Ice. So we waited for awhile there, me hiding my broom casually along the left side of my body, while people walked past us and into the doors, only to return after being kicked out. (: Oh, yeah, while getting our tickets torn we got told the Chainsaw Kittens had been canceled (Oh, darn! We were REALLY hoping to see them, too! *snicker*) and that Brian Dewan was playing in their place (And there was great rejoicing!). So anyway, they open the doors and we all go up to the front. Well, all 3 of us. Everyone else seemed to fill up from the back to the front (WHAT??? When did this start happening???) In fact, until about a half hour before the show, we were the ONLY ONES on the floor, standing up front in the center. (: Some other friends showed up, and then the theatre suddenly got packed. In the period of about 15 minutes, the floor (which is quite large) went from about 10-15 people to around 200. Not that we minded much, we were up front on the rail. (: So anyway, Brian started up about 5-10 minutes late. But he was good, so good in fact he sold us on him. I think Lani even went back to get an album of his after the show. I never knew that an electric zither or whatever he used could sound so much like 2 electric guitars. *smirk* (He ended with Rumplestiltskin) There was only a pause of about 10 minutes while they took down Dewan's stuff and put up John and John's. They did an interesting intro which I couldn't entirely hear, cause the speakers were on both sides of me pointing away. But then, we WERE only about 5 feet from them. No, I don't remember the order of the set, or even all the songs that were in it. But it was fun. And I waved my broom around during "I am not your broom." They kept looking at it kinda funny. Oh, and ladies, I'm sorry. I'm here to confirm that, without a doubt, John Linnell was wearing a wedding band and looking far happier than I've ever seen him. He was almost bouncy all night. Smiled alot. That type stuff. Oh, and he gave Lani a weird look when she held up her sign during James K Polk. They did their two planned encores. They put the "John and John with the drum machine and tape" in the middle of their set instead of at the beginning or end. Oh yeah, and they were pushing their Portland show saying that we should all go so they could prove they don't do the same show every night. Flansburgh was saying they that they weren't sell-outs, I shouted, "sure you are!" while smiling, they kinda stopped and snorted, he shook his head, and went on. (: Okay, here now for the first time, off the top of my head, is, in completely random order, a few of the songs they played: Istanbul Exquisite Dead Guy John and John Got Lost Spiraling Shape Dig my grave Spy/I am not your broom (With Flansburgh directing, then Linnell directing) NYC S-E-X-X-Y (of course) The Guitar (with a weird intro) #3 (not the Greek version. Darn.) (: Rhythm Section Want Ad Spider that's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else... Well, they didn't play Ana Ng, *sniff* oh well. they didn't play much from Lincoln, in fact. They didn't play Weep Day either, which has to be one of their best. Hmm... Well, that's about it. Jesse, broom-waving freakazoid ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Oh, and also Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:06:39 -0800 Mr. Flippy's done a very good job merging I'll sink Manhattan and sexxy. Definitely check it out. And Mr. Flippy: You may want to think about finishing that song and submitting it to the Tribute Album. Even though They won't play on it. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703111752.LAA05538@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: ticket info for those who care... Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:43:47 -0600 > but then there is mike leffel who states: > <> > which, in some cases, i must truthfully, and sadly so that no one thinks > that i do not like Their stuff, agree... Actually,.. NANCY, I was being sarcastic to an earlier reference. Any person who awaits messages to proudly and sadly nitpick about SHOULD'VE realized that..In reality, *I* am one of those who enjoy each and every release like a drugged prostitute in a drunk tank. Oh well! No harm, no foul! :) So, kiddies, whats the poo about the supposed album "Thing?" Is it a la Superfueled currently, or is it a noncommital 'go'? .. ..Will it be Blue? :) And I think a woman member (not that many members stay too awfully long) would be jim dandy! But then, that's probably just my open mind talking for me. Joel "I am starting to copy Mike Leffel" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com HEY! NO CLONING! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Mike "What's ..Nancy.. Fitz.. gonna bitch about *this* time?" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Band members Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:28:07 -0800 I think John and John like to rotate their band members often enough that it's still "John and John" as the core group, with "some other people" assisting them. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:53:27 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703111853.KAA21857@f6.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Andy Richter >From: >Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Andy Richter >your a dick (fat lot you know- I'm a woman) 1. Why are you flaming me? 2. What does this have to do with Andy Richter? 3. It's "you're". 4. Are you the same person who called TMBg fans "pussies whose moms still cut their toenails for them"? If so, then you're hardly one to talk. What do you do, lurk on mailing lists looking for people to flame? you twit. Get a life. And don't ever email me again. Sincerely, Anastasia E. Hunt * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Oh, one other song Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:34:09 -0800 They also played "You're older" last night, too. (: Jesse, Manager in control of the Department of Redundancy Department ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 19:54:44 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Non TMBG Self-Promotion and a question Your not the only one who can advertise himself!!!!! Ryan IRC Nick:Ryan47, but i never use it anymore EMAIL:Mom_of_Two@msn.com (don't ask) WEB SITE: Anyone reccomend a good html editor??? QUOTE:"If everything seems to be going well, you've missed something." FAV WORD:philibuster SAT SCORES (7th grade) 610 Verbal 770 Math (8th grade) 700 Verbal 750 Math Anyone know who sings that song that they played on the end of House of Style the other day??? Goes something like: "Leave me Right here Cus I don't wanna go" it was great Ryan the .sigless wonder don't hate me because I'm beautiful ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:06:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970311150509_-1338712433@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements >Dan Patrick (one of the sports anchors) says "When we come >back we'll see if Nixon is still the one." I could be wrong, but I think that was Nixon's campaign slogan in the 60's. Bootleg video volume II - I'll give ya a toe! :} Pleeease? Anyone wanna copy this for me? :? I don't have any money to send for it, but I do have tapes that I can copy for trade, otherwise I'd ask Russ himself. :) > Does anyone on this list have any TMBG bootlegs?? > >No. I have no bootlegs, and all the bootlegs I don't have are >definitely not listed at >http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/tapes.html > >Absolutely *no* TMBG bootlegs to be found there... nope. Nope. Don't waste your time here looking for bootlegs. What a ludicrous thought. (http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/audio.html) >random question of the day: anyone here like bloodhound >gang? Ick, not I. Bleeeeh.... immature "humor" (dare I call it humor)... > Linnell and his new wife honeymooned in the Carolinas "..In a big South Carolina wreck, I creshed mah bicycle...." ;D >S-E-X-X-Y (Tee's Freeze Mix) This remix is soooooooo good! :D I love it. I got a copy from a friend (who is too lazy to join the list, hmph!) who said she bought it on vinyl from "some guy online". :) It's waaaay better than the m-wave mix or the original. But it's too short. :P Replacements: *** Date: Mon, Mar 10, 1997 1:26 AM EDT From: SComp79128 Subj: Re: voila (from the tmbg list) To: KdsInThHal Sarah, Post this for me. :) Paul Westerberg was the lead singer and main songwriter for the Replacements, a really really awesome group from Minnesota that broke up in 1991. Paul has had 2 solo albums, 14 Songs and Eventually. 14 Songs is generally considered the better of the two albums by diehard Replacements fans, but IMO they are both pretty good. Paul also had two songs on the Singles soundtrack, Dyslexic Heart and Waiting For Somebody, and a song on the Tank Girl soundtrack that he performed with Joan Jett. Nothing has ever equalled the brilliance of the 3 best Replacements albums, Let It Be, Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me, though. Anyone who loves rock and roll should own these albums. Shannon ('mats fan and list crasher. ) *** augh! I *just* turned on the radio in time to hear "..And that was They MIght be Giants with a song called 'Destination Moon'.." :P sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970311150834.007d44b0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:08:34 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: thing >So, kiddies, whats the poo about the supposed album "Thing?" Is it >a la Superfueled currently, or is it a noncommital 'go'? >.. >..Will it be Blue? :) It will definately be an album. There will probably be songs on it. It just might be from They Might Be Giants. However, it may also be a solitary wandering hand.... crawling around on its fingertips.......... Evan "What a pointless message!" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970311151309.007c8a40@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:13:09 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: SEXXY/SINK it's ALIVE!!!!! That was positively horrible. Terrible. Awful. It assaulted my eardrums. Everyone wants to hear that groovy thing. (Go download it now. you'll be glad you did) hey, see that line up there ---^ "Every want wants to see that groovy thing" like, you know, maybe like "Thing" the album? Like everyone wants to see it.... Evan "Rubber Lining The Walls" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970311151734.007c4a60@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:17:34 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: New Concord hey, anyone with info about 4/23 New Concord Ohio John Glenn Gym Concert tell me check pollstar -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 20:16:04 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: OMLT Please put the Freak Magnet quote on it! Maybe that could be the front even. Ryan the .sigless wonder "The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming passenger train" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:39:18 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: Im buying my tickets today!!! YAY!!! Its been almost 3 months since their last Boston show....Im suffocating. See you all there :) Katie On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Coyote wrote: > > Hello. I remember reading last weekend about a possible TMBG show in > > Boston, but I accidentally erased it, and I was wondering if any of you > > kind fellow fans would oblige me with the truth, and if possible the > > facts of this. > > Yep, theres a concert for TMBG at the Avalon on April ... 5th, I think.. > It's a Saturday. Tickets are 15$ + service charge + convenience charge = > ~$21 after Ticketbastard's pricing scheme. Already got my tickets, and > I'm pshcyed!!! > > whoa.. total misspelling.. *sigh* oh well. :) > -Adam > > ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ > Well is it true it's always happy hour here? > Cuz if it is I'd like to stay awhile. > And as cliche as it may sound > I'd like to raise another round... > and here's to life. > -The Refreshments > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:46:05 -0800 >---------- >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com[SMTP:KdsInThHal@aol.com] >Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 1997 12:06 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements > >augh! I *just* turned on the radio in time to hear "..And that was They MIght >be Giants with a song called 'Destination Moon'.." :P Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure they played Destination Moon last night too. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:21:35 -0800 >---------- >From: Katherine Johnson[SMTP:katie@argo.net] >Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 1997 12:39 PM >To: Coyote >Cc: (*); 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' >Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? > >Im buying my tickets today!!! YAY!!! Its been almost 3 months since >their last Boston show....Im suffocating. See you all there :) > >Katie No you won't! I won't be anywhere NEAR Boston! (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970311213643.0067d200@awod.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:36:43 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, > Linnell and his new wife honeymooned in the Carolinas Wow, you mean I was this close to him? And to think I could've spent the past few days stalking him. Oh well. -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:41:44 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: He was right... TCNJ tickets on sale tommorrow! Message-ID: I apologize to the person who wrote that the TMBG at TCNJ tickets were going on sale on 3/12. Here is the complete information courtesy of The Signal: Tickets go on sale Wednesday, March 12, 1997 from 830am-5pm in the Brower Student Center Atrium. Tickets are $10 each, limit of 2 per TSC/TCNJ ID. YOU MUST SHOW YOUR OWN ID! If you cannot buy them tommorow, the next time they'll be available will be Monday, March 24, 1997 at the Student Center Information Desk. I guess this means it's a college only concert unless you have friends at TCNJ who can get you the extra ticket. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "In the soil of leadership sprout the seeds of immortality." Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order "I am currently reading 'How To Operate A Computer' by Gordell Huxley-Smithen III. It's very informative and I am currently on Chapter 8 - The On Button". John Popper * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970311164923.007d7410@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:49:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF SonicNet SonicNet ROCKS! or at least they would rock, If I could get the BEn Folds FIve listening party Real Audio file to work. ... -ec ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:09:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970311190845_208624997@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: cdnow "generes" on the cd now page: this disturbs me, a little -- I could only imagine if J+J saw this: "The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, YANKOVIC, WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." btw - why aren't there track listings for the ep's? I accidentally put the vinyl SEXXY ep in my "shopping cart".. :\ sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:10:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970311190912_1613553405@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ESPN I was watching ESPN this morning and they made another TMBG reference. The reporter was talking about Barry Bonds of the S.F. Giants and he said "Who will be back up Barry in the Bay area, They Might Be Giants?" I recorded the show and I put the reference on a wav. file, its 117k and its on my web site at http://members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:32:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970311193228_-2007594097@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Show last night! Hello 41- That sounds like a really cool review. Did any of our friends in the Pacific Northwest decide to tape the show? If so, email me privatly. Spelling sucks. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf We were driving out of town, and my radio's broken, been thinking about taking up smokin', but we're both broke and I refuse to smoke generics. 'Cause in my book, smoking a sub-par brand would be sort of like listening to a sub-par band. And I value my ears about as much as I value my larynx. -John Huss Moderate Combo Currently in the CD Changer- TMBG-Big Blue Butt, Young Fresh Fellows-The Men Who Loved Music, Devo-EZ Listening Disc, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, Soul Coughing-Ruby Vroom ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703120045.TAA04293@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Weep Day Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:45:48 -0500 (EST) You'll find there is now a Real Audio version of Weep Day up on the site. Unless a lot of people complain I've decide to only offer 28.8 Stereo. The 28.8 Mono and 14.4 just don't sound good, and I don't hear a lot of improvement in the ISDN version, plus it's a lot easier to maintain one version. :-) I'll try and get Real Audio Greek #3 up as well, and perhaps even a new track. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:04:50 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF Message-ID: Did anyone get the ben folds five RA listening party thing to work? I have tried and it is .ram format and RA only accepts the .ra or .ram format. Help! I guess email privatly. ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970311205903.007d4740@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:59:03 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" At 07:09 PM 3/11/97 -0500, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >on the cd now page: this disturbs me, a little -- I could only imagine if J+J >saw this: > >"The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. >WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, >YANKOVIC, WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." > >sarah :) Well, some of their lyrics (such as mutilated common sayings) can come across as funny. I would definitely put them in the same category as Weezer (Compare lyrics sometime), but Weird AL? no way. I Don't think either band (Weezer or TMBG) is particularly "funny" I think maybe "clever" would be better, or "witty" Some people just can't take a band with an accordion seriously... Evan Chakroff Now Playing: Ben Folds Five; Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hot ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3325E310.6F51@baka.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:56:16 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes > "The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. > WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, > YANKOVIC, > WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." Weird maybe. Humor? Huh? They can be funny at times, but I would never ever call them humor music. And what's up with these other bands that they categorize with TMBG? Violent Femmes, Beck, and Weezer are all great bands(or people who play a whole bunch of instruments in the case of beck), but only Weezer really is even comparable to TMBG. Weird Al is the one band in this category I would call "humor music" though I've never even heard of the Sparks or the Rugburns. And I've heard one Big Audio Dynamite song and two B-52s songs(god they're awful) and I wouldn't call either one humor music either. Ah well. The world will never understand TMBG. -- "Burning inside is making this boy turn out cold"-The Violent Femmes, a band that makes you laugh. Right. Whatever. Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:03:04 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" >Some people just can't take a band with an accordion seriously... This isn't as true now, though, as perhaps it once was. Many bands are starting to use accordion on some songs-- I look at my CD collection and count off Barenaked Ladies, Paul Simon, Counting Crows, Crash Test Dummies... and that's just a few bands out of many. I guess some people see the instrument as "funny" still -- Weird Al certainly still uses it that way -- but it's becoming more accepted day by day. Really, anymore at concerts TMBG don't use it any more than the bands I listed above! Not that that's a *good* thing... -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer My Mac: finger:@tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "We're older stuff. We're damaged goods." --John Flansburgh of TMBG "Omnidirectional mobility? What the hell is that?" --Professor H. D. Cameron ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703120347.AA22287@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:47:17 -0500 (EST) > > "The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. > > WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, > > YANKOVIC, > > WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." > Weird maybe. Humor? Huh? They can be funny at times, but I would never > ever call them humor music. And what's up with these other bands that > they categorize with TMBG? Violent Femmes, Beck, and Weezer are all > great bands(or people who play a whole bunch of instruments in the case > of beck), but only Weezer really is even comparable to TMBG. Weird Al is > the one band in this category I would call "humor music" though I've > never even heard of the Sparks or the Rugburns. And I've heard one Big > Audio Dynamite song and two B-52s songs(god they're awful) and I > wouldn't call either one humor music either. Ah well. The world will > never understand TMBG. Unfortunately, critics like to spew this crap. They listen to Particle Man or whatnot and immediately think they are humor music. I must admit I've never heard of the Rugburns, but the others I have. The Sparks are a kind of synthpoppy band that does have a few funny songs (or maybe more, I've only heard maybe 15 songs by them). They had the big single 'All you Ever Think about is Sex'. Which is a darn cool song I must say. B-52s have been known to put out a few silly songs, ala 'Strobelight'. 'Rock Lobster' seems kinda strange too ;) We all know about Ween. I dunno, I guess they hear 1 song or 1 part of one song and say oh isn't that amusing, let's put it in 'humor rock'. "Weird" Al is probably the only one that is out-and-out trying to b efunny. Matt -- upcoming concerts: Blur-Black Cat, Washington, DC 3/9 James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: cowking@nconnect.net Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:45:32 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199703120345.VAA25100@atlantis.nconnect.net> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg I really need to get a hold of the fan made video bootleg for the concert 09/06/96 Hatch Shell, Boston, Mass. 64 Mins I am willing to pay big. Email cowking@nconnect.net personally if you have it or can help. Thanks %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% (__) (oo) \/-------\ || | \ ||----W| * Cow King Peter Kesting mailto:cowking@nconnect.net http://www.nconnect.net/~cowking/ Hard cidar and log cabins. And I will be content. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3325D9C3.6498@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:16:35 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Boat of Auto Dear Giant-heads, I've recieved many requests as to how I played the delightful version of "Boat of Car." I'll do my best to explain it. THE MAIN RIFF E-A-D E-Db E-B-B E-A-D E-Db After the riff comes either the "Daddy'll sing bass" sample or the low groan which is a low E. The same riff is played under the vocals, too. The kooky space sound over "I was tryin' to get somewhere" is a descending E E E E D D D D Db Db Db Db C C C C The conclusion involves some goofy little synth horn licks (that are too confusing for me to type over email) over a guitar strumming these chords:. C F C F On the boat of car On the boat of car Hope this is a help to folks. Peace in John and John Billy from St. Louis P.S. This isn't the only song I know ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3325DB04.4649@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:21:56 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Single I've got the SEXXY single with, SEXXY (Radio Mix) SENSURROUND UNFORGOTTEN WE'VE GOT A WORLD THAT SWINGS SEXXY (Microwave mix) My friend has the SEXXY single with SEXXY WEVE GOT A WORLD SEXXY (Microwave mix) Are you saying you saw another version??? Billy in St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3325DC14.1814@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:26:28 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: Re: TMBG: Best of Mountain Stage Hey Cyber Dude, The Best Of Mountain Stage Volume Five contains a very very cool snappy version of "Particle Man". Mountain Stage is a public radio show that features different bands each week. Volume five also contains Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey (of dB's fame) doing "Angels" Los Lobos "Peace" Indigo Girls "Love's Recovery" Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970311235226.0085de80@mail.vt.edu> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:52:28 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive I've been collecting They stuff for quite awhile so I thought I'd be a nice guy and share it with everyone. There's pretty much anything and everything that I've found in the past couple years including articles, interviews, wavs, midis, pictures, and video. Also, I've got some BNL, BFF, Moxy, Velocity Girl, cub, and other assorted bands on there. Oh, and I've recently discovered mp3's so there's a bunch of those too including John Linnell (House of Mayors), Ben Folds Five (BOWCCL single!), Pizzicato Five, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cardigans, Weird Al, Cake, and lots more. I'm always adding more stuff and I'll try to make some more mp3's when I have the time. So take a looksie at ftp://198.82.89.54 and let me know what you think. I won't be able to keep the site up all the time, but it should be up around 11pm-9am EST and other random times during the day. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:25:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312002459_-1539687865@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Comedy Central While looking through the comedy central website, it had a listing of specials and themes for weekday nights, and one theme, featuring all Irish comedy or something was called "They Might Be Irish" :D Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:11:57 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Urine Man? Message-ID: I was just wondering... if urine man was the actual lyric sung in Weep Day. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:17:05 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Boat of Auto Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Mar-97 TMBG: Boat of Auto by Richard Michalski@ix.net > E-A-D E-Db E-B-B > > E-A-D E-Db You sure about that? I just played that and the intervals don't sound right... I actually used some two note chords in spots, and I'll try to denote them here (I'm playing it on a keyboard, so I can do this :) G F# E E G B D B C# G B B G F# G B D B C# The notes on the top line are all played an octave above the notes on the bottom line - i.e. the two Gs are not the same one, and the E is above the G, rather than below it. I agree with your chords for the ending, though, and your sequence of notes for the "I was trying to get somewhere..." part, although I transposed it up a 4th. (A A A A G G G G F# F# F# F# F F F F) I'm almost done sequencing it, and I'll try to get it converted and sent to the MIDI archive some time soon. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703120628.BAA14160@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Urine Man? Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:42:42 -0500 > I was just wondering... if urine man was the actual lyric sung in Weep Day. I hope not. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703120641.BAA14259@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY/SINK and Upcoming Concert!!! Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:55:14 -0500 Very interesting. Would've come out better if the songs were in the same key though. The trick is to get someone to perform it that way... hmmm... which brings me to my next point. Last semester, we at the Music Community (about a third of a dorm floor) at the University of Delaware put on a small recital which included a bunch of us performing I Can Hear You (http://www.udel.edu/spike/cas/). This semester, we'll be performing Hide Away Folk Family with a cool lead in to Ana Ng, and (due to popular request) Particle Man. Instrumentation will probably be keyboard, bassoon, banjo and guitar, piano, clarinet or trumpet, and I don't know what else. If anyone wants to come see it live at the University of Delaware in Newark, DE (you'll also see/hear some cool other performances of more "legit" stuff), email me. It's at 1:00 on March 23rd. Oh, and it's free of course! If you're a music major at the U of Delaware, you can get recital attendance credit. Hopefully I'll have the music ready by then and it won't suck. :> ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-71 *****************************