Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-72 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 72 Thursday, 13 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing TMBG: RE: (what's wrong with) CDNOW "GENRES"; defense of the B-52's RE: TMBG: Boston? TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man RE: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes RE: TMBG: Show last night! RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing NON-TMBG: BFF sonicnet TMBG: CDnow 'generes' NON-TMBG: bff fixed Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" Re: NON-TMBG: ESPN RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review TMBG: Uncle Mingo/The Guitar TMBG: Sorry, guys... TMBG: Portland Concert TMBG: Com. Central, House of Style song, mp3, Boat, Thing, Then TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert RE: RE: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing RE: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: Veruca Salt TMBG: MP3 Re: TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Re: TMBG: Dial a Song Re: TMBG: Linnell the Highlander? RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 TMBG: Seattle show RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert TMBG: Greek #3 TMBG: CALVIN show RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert Re: TMBG: Seattle show TMBG: Review of the Complete FS Sessions TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions TMBG: She doesn't have to have her dB's records back TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line Re: TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions TMBG: Brian Dewan... Re: TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions TMBG: Re: Brian Dewan... RE: TMBG: Dewan TMBG: *sigh* TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing TMBG: q TMBG: Inside Space. Re: TMBG: Seattle show RE: TMBG: Dewan Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: Urine Man? Re: TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line TMBG: possible old news Re: TMBG: Dewan Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review TMBG: Jungle Re: TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line TMBG: it's alive...ALIVE!! TMBG: OMLT order questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970312043748.00683ccc@pop.teleport.com> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:37:55 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Okay, I'm very tired, and very sore. Like last time, the setlist was obtained, but this time my brother got it and he's now 110 miles away from me because I had to drive 2 hours down south to Eugene (okay, maybe I didn't _drive_, but I rode along nonetheless.) Anyway, the show sounded very similar to the Seattle show, but very entertaining nonetheless. The only thing it lacked was flow... instead of joining most songs like they did when they visited last November, they talked between almost every one, which is cool but it also keeps flow at a minimum. They opened with "Rhythm Section Want Ad" and took a look back to some old-school numbers... two encores... puppet heads... Brian Dewan (again opening instead of Chainsaw Kittens - was muy impressed) joined the band on accordian for some "Spy", featuring improv first by John F. (who wasn't nearly as good as Maestro Linnell) and then finally John L. took over and did it justice. No "Ana Ng", no "WDTSS?", no "Snail Shell" or "Nyquil Driver" among the staples that were missing. No "Don't Let's Start", just like last time, but I'm thinking they're getting tired of that one... So what did they play? In order of album, because I can't remember set order... Rhythm Section Want Ad Number 3 (part of the John + John + tape set) 32 Footsteps (also John + John + tape) Where Your Eyes Don't Go We're The Replacements - slower tempo ("We're gonna play a song we haven't played in a long time... actually, I don't even know if we've ever played it before...") Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul Particle Man Twisting Dig My Grave Spider The Guitar She's Actual Size Spy No One Knows My Plan Meet James Ensor - slower tempo ALL of Factory Showroom except "Metal Detector", "Bells", and "Worst Enemy" Older They Got Lost I'm Not Your Broom (!) I may have forgot one or two... maybe... Kerry ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703121331.IAA07444@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:31:02 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: RE: (what's wrong with) CDNOW "GENRES"; defense of the B-52's Sarah shared: "The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, YANKOVIC, WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." Then Jonah added: "Weird maybe. Humor? Huh? They can be funny at times, but I would never ever call them humor music. And what's up with these other bands that they categorize with TMBG? Violent Femmes, Beck, and Weezer are all great bands(or people who play a whole bunch of instruments in the case of beck), but only Weezer really is even comparable to TMBG. Weird Al is the one band in this category I would call "humor music" though I've never even heard of the Sparks or the Rugburns." We had this brief debate on the list not long ago. It's not a conspiracy. Labelling devices, or the music clubs' "If you like this, you'll like..." aren't attempts to dis our favorite bands or give undue credit to crappy ones. Record stores and clubs want to sell more music. They will lead consumers down the familiar, easy path. Why do you object to TMBG as weird humor music? Weird, as defined by an industry that lauds Celine Dion, they certainly are. Not humorous? OK, not laugh-out-loud funny, but their songs don't occasionally make you smile? Their studio stunts--"Spy", covering the Freedom Rock slime track "Jessica" with accordian as the lead instrument, recording with only a drum machine as accompaniment? Yes, we see that the Giants are more than just a humor band, and in fact hardly a humor band at all, but think of your folks or your typical Celine Dion fan just reading the song titles, much less listening to the music! It's so different, so cool, so free, your first reaction is to smile. Jonah made the mistake of continuing: "And I've heard one Big Audio Dynamite song and two B-52s songs(god they're awful) and I wouldn't call either one humor music either." The above must be a comment borne of ignorance. I won't defend BAD, but if you are a serious fan of music and appreciate the depth and growth of They Might Be Giants and DON'T understand the debt they owe bands like the B-52's, you need to be catching up on some back catalogs, not posting broad statements like this. The fact that the B-52's went from a "humor" band known for "novelty" songs to a major pop act after _Cosmic Thing_ (a disc that also emphasized the more "serious" side of the band) should serve as inspiration to us Giants fans who wish the band would be taken out of the "novelty" or "weird humor music" category. There's way more to the B-52's than the mediocre _Good Stuff_ and the familiar "Rock Lobster", and if you don't know that, you're not looking. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: They Might Be Giants - _Mystery Concert_ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:58:58 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: Silly boy..not "all" of you.....just some of all of you. :P Katie On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >---------- > >From: Katherine Johnson[SMTP:katie@argo.net] > >Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 1997 12:39 PM > >To: Coyote > >Cc: (*); 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? > > > >Im buying my tickets today!!! YAY!!! Its been almost 3 months since > >their last Boston show....Im suffocating. See you all there :) > > > >Katie > > No you won't! I won't be anywhere NEAR Boston! (: > > Jesse > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:18:56 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man Message-ID: I am beginning to think that Weep Day is one of the best TMBG songs I have ever heard, and I really hope they will consider recording it for their next real album. However, I have one question. Who are Tambo and Urine Man? Personally, I think Weep Day sounds kind of like it is being sung by the evil twin of "My Evil Twin", or possibly the good twin. The songs seem to deal with similar subjects "They say they saw me, but I wasn't there", "Everyone man has two opinions, every woman has a second half" etc. But this must be either a really old song, or a really new one because of the reference to the Oakland Raiders (who changed to the LA Ra But the thing I can't figure out Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703121528.AA08494@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:28:15 -0500 (EST) > Personally, I think Weep Day sounds kind of like it is being sung by the > evil twin of "My Evil Twin", or possibly the good twin. The songs seem The Evil twin has another evil twin? Wow, so they're not twins after all but triplets?!? > to deal with similar subjects "They say they saw me, but I wasn't there", > "Everyone man has two opinions, every woman has a second half" etc. But > this must be either a really old song, or a really new one because of the > reference to the Oakland Raiders (who changed to the LA Ra It is an old song from the 80s, it's on Free When You Call From Work DAS compilation. > > But the thing I can't figure out ....? What can't you figure out? -- upcoming concerts: James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 07:57:35 -0800 >---------- >From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@greed.loyola.edu] >Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 1997 7:47 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres", not to be confused with Ellen Generes > >> > "The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. >> > WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... >> > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, >> > YANKOVIC, >> > WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." What I want to know is why the Presidents weren't listed. (: They're most definitely in the same category as Them. So much so, they opened for Them on the John Henry tour here in Seattle, and the crowd loved them. (And yes, their lyrics and even musical style is similar) Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Show last night! Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 07:52:42 -0800 >---------- >From: NitpickR@aol.com[SMTP:NitpickR@aol.com] >Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 1997 4:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Show last night! > >Hello 41- > >That sounds like a really cool review. Did any of our friends in the Pacific >Northwest decide to tape the show? If so, email me privatly. Spelling >sucks. *snicker* If anyone did, it wasn't anyone in our little group.... Though, I wouldn't mind hearing it again... (email me too!) Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:20:12 -0800 >---------- >From: Kerry Biggs[SMTP:murmur@teleport.com] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 4:37 AM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing > > >32 Footsteps (also John + John + tape) >Where Your Eyes Don't Go >Birdhouse In Your Soul >She's Actual Size >No One Knows My Plan >Meet James Ensor - slower tempo They also played these at the Seattle show And I think they didn't play "worst enemy" in Oregon because they played it twice up here. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:39:09 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF sonicnet Message-ID: I email the sonicnet people and they said that they had the wrong URL. So they told me to clear my cache and then try it again. I went there and instead of it saying that it can't handle the .ram file it said "your network bandwidth is not fast enough to recieve the data or that your CPU is not powerful enough to decode it." I am on a T1 connetion and have a Pentium 166. Does anyone know what is going on? Can I really never recieve it or is there a problem somewhere that will be fixed eventually? ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703121631.QAA27905@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" Organization: R'Leyh Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:34:02 +0000 Subject: TMBG: CDnow 'generes' linnellgirl@tmbg.org wrote: >on the cd now page: this disturbs me, a little -- I could only imagine >if J+J saw this: >"The following are links to other artists in user defined genres. >WEIRD HUMOR MUSIC : Good tunes that make you laugh... THEY MIGHT BE >GIANTS, SPARKS, RUGBURNS, B-52'S, BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, WEEN, YANKOVIC, >WEIRD AL, VIOLENT FEMMES, BECK, WEEZER." Yeah, OK perhaps they have a fucked up genere system, but I love the B52s & Big Audio Dynamite, think weird al and Weezer are OK, Ween and Beck I haven't really heard much of, but what I have is cool and, so, go figure. So the genre title is a bit screwy but judging from what they put down and what I like I guess the list is OK. au revior Jon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:12:51 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: NON-TMBG: bff fixed Message-ID: It took a bit of work, but I got it to work. I had to uninstal the RA player that I had AND delete all the old RA files. I had uninstalled it but I didn't clear out all the old files. Now it works. The album sounds good! (for those that care atleast) ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:30:23 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow "genres" god, how many time are we going to go over this stupid cdnow category thing, we just had this same exact discussion not long ago, for a minute i thought i was rereading old postings! trippy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:35:39 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: ESPN At 7:10 PM -0500 3/11/97, TmbgManiac@aol.com wrote: >I was watching ESPN this morning and they made another TMBG reference. >The reporter was talking about Barry Bonds of the S.F. Giants and he said >"Who will be back up Barry in the Bay area, They Might Be Giants?" I recorded >the show and I put the reference on a wav. file, its 117k and its on my web >site at http://members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html just a personal note, i think sportscenter is quite possibly the best show on television stuart scott is the bomb ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:29:47 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Message-ID: > >32 Footsteps (also John + John + tape) > >Where Your Eyes Don't Go > >Birdhouse In Your Soul > >She's Actual Size > >No One Knows My Plan > >Meet James Ensor - slower tempo > > They also played these at the Seattle show > And I think they didn't play "worst enemy" in Oregon because > they played it twice up here. (: They didn't play all of these. Er...did they? My email's down for one day and my brain gets totally screwed up. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:21:18 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Message-ID: On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > We wandered to the restaurant that shares a wall with > the Showbox, and ate Chinese. Snorting sweet-and-sour > sauce is painful. Not calming in the slightest bit. And yet you still took the rest home with you... :) > awhile there, me hiding my broom casually along the left side of > my body, while people walked past us and into the doors, only to > return after being kicked out. (: We got asked about five times if we were in charge of the door. We weren't really sure whether we should say yes or no. "Of course we are! We have the broom, don't we!?" :) > So anyway, they open the doors and we all go up to the front. > Well, all 3 of us. Everyone else seemed to fill up from the back > to the front (WHAT??? When did this start happening???) In fact, > until about a half hour before the show, we were the ONLY ONES > on the floor, standing up front in the center. (: We must have still had that fish smell about us so everyone kept away. Next time, let's not meet in front of the fish section of Pike Place Market, eh? It was fine until they started hosing down the area. Ugh. :) > So anyway, Brian started up about 5-10 minutes late. > But he was good, so good in fact he sold us on him. > I think Lani even went back to get an album of his after the show. > I never knew that an electric zither or whatever he used could sound > so much like 2 electric guitars. *smirk* > (He ended with Rumplestiltskin) Yes, he was awesome! It was such a great surprise that he was there, 'cause I've been wanting to hear his stuff. It's kind of like those S&W canned foods commercials where you think the next gift you open is just going to be *another* toaster, but instead it is a glorious can of stewed tomatoes and your life suddenly has a new and profound meaning and an inspirational musical accompaniment. Well, maybe not quite like that, but still a great surprise. ;) I did run back in and buy the CD after I accidentally left without it. There was this guy just standing off to the side that I didn't really notice until he stepped in front of me and I almost slammed into him. "OH, sorry, I just want to buy one of those CDs." "Were you at the show tonight? Can I see your stamp?" So I showed him the "I grew hemp" stamp on my wrist and he reluctantly let me back in. I have to admit I liked Brian's live performance much better than the CD, but it's still really good. I'm still going to buy the new one coming out sometime this summer. Yay! > No, I don't remember the order of the set, or even all the songs that > were in it. But it was fun. And I waved my broom around during "I > am not your broom." They kept looking at it kinda funny. "Oh no, not ANOTHER broom," They thought. :) > Oh, and ladies, I'm sorry. I'm here to confirm that, without a doubt, > John Linnell was wearing a wedding band and looking far happier than > I've ever seen him. He was almost bouncy all night. Smiled alot. > That type stuff. Oh, and he gave Lani a weird look when she held up > her sign during James K Polk. Not that the sign had anything to do with his marriage! Although I did like the sign ideas we came up with at dinner: "How could you leave me like this, Linnell?" That kind of thing. Yeah, he would have *loved* that. :) > They did their two planned encores. They put the "John and John > with the drum machine and tape" in the middle of their set instead of > at the beginning or end. They told someone offstage "Be ready to hit the stop button. This may crash right from the top." Linnell: "What key is this in?" Flans: "I think it's in C now." Linnell plays a chord. Both nod with slightly relieved grins. > Oh yeah, and they were pushing their > Portland show saying that we should all go so they could prove they > don't do the same show every night. Flansburgh was saying they > that they weren't sell-outs, I shouted, "sure you are!" while smiling, > they kinda stopped and snorted, he shook his head, and went on. (: And we all tried to back away and look like we didn't know the guy with the broom... :) The concert was great! I haven't been in the very front before, so that was pretty exciting in itself. Yesterday I thought I might just drop everything and head down to Portland. They did invite us after all. If only it weren't a school night! Sounds like it was a good show, too. I was hoping They'd play some more older stuff (it's getting older all the time), and some more unusual stuff like Weep Day, but that's OK. They did sing Broom and shoot off the canon, so I can't complain! Ah. So They're in Palo Alto tomorrow night? Hmmm... I don't *have* to stick around to take that final tomorrow.... I thought I'd gotten my They fix for a while, but I guess I was wrong! Maybe I ought to get ahold of some of that sweet & sour sauce. :) *sigh* Back to work. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:40:04 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Uncle Mingo/The Guitar Message-Id: Has anyone here heard of a band called Uncle Mingo? Everytime I play 'The Guitar', a friend of mine says that it's exactly like an UM song... Just wondering what y'all thought, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3326FF39.61B@scnc.waverly.k12.mi.us> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:08:41 -0500 From: Elitza Nicolaou Organization: Waverly High School Subject: TMBG: Sorry, guys... Hey/hay, For some reason my shirt order CC'd to the list! i don't know why, but Evan might want to check that mail link, or something, because I know that shouldn't have gone here. Ignore and delete, please. (My high tops were in control- they are hemp and GODDESS.) Love, The Spork Princess (Elitza) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:58:28 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: Portland Concert Message-Id: Well, I was at the Portland concert, and I got a setlist. What they played (in order) was: RHYTHYM SECTION WANT AD HOW CAN I SING LIKE A GIRL? SPIDER SEXXY OLDER MEET JAMES ENSOR (with the confetti cannon!!!) WHERE YOUR EYES DON'T GO JAMES K. POLK PET NAME SPIRALING SHAPE SPY (They brought Brian Dewan out, and he played accordian during the improv) THEY GOT LOST #3 32 FOOTSTEPS XTC vs. ADAM ANT EXQUISITE DEAD GUY ACTUAL SIZE NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN THE GUITAR I CAN HEAR YOU PARTICLE MAN NEW YORK CITY TWISTIN 'TILL MY HEAD FALLS OFF I AM NOT YOUR BROOM!!! BIRDHOUSE DIG MY GRAVE THE REPLACEMENTS ISTANBUL twas an excelent show, with a nice mix of old and new. Oh yeah, and my friend with binoculars says she saw a wedding band on Linell, so I guess that answers THAT question. Liam ps. anyone know if there are any copies of the show? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:29:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312142928_-936464340@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Com. Central, House of Style song, mp3, Boat, Thing, Then Aah! So I'm in the other room, but I have the tv on Comedy Central (Kids In The Hall had just ended). I hear a commercial for some CC special - and then they say the name - Get this --- the name of the special is entitled: "They Might Be Irish." Is that CRAZY or what? They're doing this just to bother us I'm sure. >featuring all Irish comedy or something was called "They >Might Be Irish" Ooooooooh Jordan! You li'l bastard! ;D >Anyone know who sings that song that they played on the end >of House of Style the other day??? Goes something like: > > "Leave me > Right here > Cus I don't wanna go" It's Veruca Salt's new one... I don't remember the title, but I heard it's "the sequel song to 'Seether'." And to answer the rest of you - *why* was I watching MTV? ...I have, no clue.. >Oh, and I've recently discovered mp3's Help the naive girl.... What's an "mp3"? :} >> E-A-D E-Db E-B-B >> >> E-A-D E-Db > >You sure about that? I just played that and the intervals >don't sound Yeah, I tried them too, and got nothing of the sort.. :\ >>..Will it be Blue? :) > >It will definately be an album. Well I hope the cd sleeve binding whatever is NOT black, orange, or yellow. Gawd... My TMBG section looks like a freeking halloween decoration. :P (save for TMBG, FS, and SEXXY.) Btw - Anyone else rearrange their music collection to make room for THEN? :) I diiid..... the girl who's desperately trying to win Fruvous tickets from the radio, wish me luck, sarah! :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:43:20 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert Message-ID: I tell you. I've seen TMBG four times, and last night was far and away the best show I've ever seen. The setlist has been posted, so I won't bother with that formality. John Linnell was the most animated I've ever seen him. Getting married must have shot him full o' the dickens or something! He actually talked to the audience as much as Flans! I thought it'd be a cold day in hell before I saw that happen. It was so great hearing older songs that everyone figured were permanently in the "tour vault." I had more fun last night than I've ever had at a concert, of anyone's. Yes, it topped the last BNL show I saw. It really was that good. :) Brian Dewan was really interesting. he impressed the hell out of all of us. :) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: RE: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, replacements Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:01:23 -0800 >---------- >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com[SMTP:KdsInThHal@aol.com] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 9:49 AM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Subject: Re: RE: TMBG: nixon, bootleg vid2, bootlegs, honeymoon, sexxy, >replacements > >>Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure they played Destination Moon last night too. > >???? What? > >sarah Sorry, I meant Monday night in Seattle Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:03:45 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 9:29 AM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Cc: 'tmbg-digest@tmbg.org' >Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing > > >> >32 Footsteps (also John + John + tape) >> >Where Your Eyes Don't Go >> >Birdhouse In Your Soul >> >She's Actual Size >> >No One Knows My Plan >> >Meet James Ensor - slower tempo >> >> They also played these at the Seattle show >> And I think they didn't play "worst enemy" in Oregon because >> they played it twice up here. (: > >They didn't play all of these. Er...did they? My email's down for one >day and my brain gets totally screwed up. > > -Lani O:) >lanio@u.washington.edu The only ones I'm not 100% sure of are Where your eyes don't go and Meet James Ensor... But I'm more than 50% sure they did. Anyone have a recording and/or set list (come on, I SAW the set lists going.... Lani was too shy to ask for one... hehehehe) (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:18:22 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 10:21 AM >To: 'TMBG Mailing List' >Cc: McClusky, Jesse >Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review > >On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >> We wandered to the restaurant that shares a wall with >> the Showbox, and ate Chinese. Snorting sweet-and-sour >> sauce is painful. Not calming in the slightest bit. > >And yet you still took the rest home with you... :) True... It was very good the next day for lunch. Snort-free. >We must have still had that fish smell about us so everyone kept away. >Next time, let's not meet in front of the fish section of Pike Place >Market, eh? It was fine until they started hosing down the area. Ugh. >:) *snicker* Aw, but we all needed a shower anyway, right? Well, at least AFTER the show we did. The drug-smoke haze was so bad Flansburgh commented on it casually when they FIRST GOT ON STAGE. Said something like, "You know, usually they pass the *forgot what he called it, something like under-the-couch-joints* around the middle of the show. You guys started really early." But then, later on, they DID say we were one of the nicest crowds they've played. (: But the fish-scented shower was nice... *snicker* >> So anyway, Brian started up about 5-10 minutes late. >> But he was good, so good in fact he sold us on him. >> I think Lani even went back to get an album of his after the show. >> I never knew that an electric zither or whatever he used could sound >> so much like 2 electric guitars. *smirk* >> (He ended with Rumplestiltskin) > >Yes, he was awesome! It was such a great surprise that he was there, >'cause I've been wanting to hear his stuff. It's kind of like those S&W >canned foods commercials where you think the next gift you open is just >going to be *another* toaster, but instead it is a glorious can of stewed >tomatoes and your life suddenly has a new and profound meaning and an >inspirational musical accompaniment. Well, maybe not quite like that, but >still a great surprise. ;) *laugh* Don't worry, I won't tell your friend. And I don't think Michelle will either. (: (inside joke, sorry) >I did run back in and buy the CD after I accidentally left without it. >There was this guy just standing off to the side that I didn't really >notice until he stepped in front of me and I almost slammed into him. >"OH, sorry, I just want to buy one of those CDs." "Were you at the show >tonight? Can I see your stamp?" So I showed him the "I grew hemp" stamp >on my wrist and he reluctantly let me back in. Kool! I'll have to borrow it from you sometime. (: >I have to admit I liked Brian's live performance much better than the CD, >but it's still really good. I'm still going to buy the new one coming out >sometime this summer. Yay! *noggle* Anyone know if he's in regular stores (like the Warehouse or Fred Meyer Music Mart or Tower)? Or do ya hafta order it mail-order? >> No, I don't remember the order of the set, or even all the songs that >> were in it. But it was fun. And I waved my broom around during "I >> am not your broom." They kept looking at it kinda funny. > >"Oh no, not ANOTHER broom," They thought. :) Doubt it. I don't recall any mention of brooms at their earlier concerts, and certainly no one else had one Monday night. In fact, from the set lists posted, they've only been using that sketch for a month or two at their concerts, so they were probably really surprised I knew about it. >> Oh, and ladies, I'm sorry. I'm here to confirm that, without a doubt, >> John Linnell was wearing a wedding band and looking far happier than >> I've ever seen him. He was almost bouncy all night. Smiled alot. >> That type stuff. Oh, and he gave Lani a weird look when she held up >> her sign during James K Polk. > >Not that the sign had anything to do with his marriage! Although I did >like the sign ideas we came up with at dinner: "How could you leave me >like this, Linnell?" That kind of thing. Yeah, he would have *loved* >that. :) *snicker* Oh, I'm SURE he would've.... (: But no, her sign had nothing to do with his marriage, so you can stop plotting against her. (: That sentence just sorta snuck past the paragraph end and into the previous one. >> They did their two planned encores. They put the "John and John >> with the drum machine and tape" in the middle of their set instead of >> at the beginning or end. > >They told someone offstage "Be ready to hit the stop button. This may >crash right from the top." Linnell: "What key is this in?" Flans: "I >think it's in C now." Linnell plays a chord. Both nod with slightly >relieved grins. *snicker* Yeah, that was pretty funny. Probably not for them, though. >> Oh yeah, and they were pushing their >> Portland show saying that we should all go so they could prove they >> don't do the same show every night. Flansburgh was saying they >> that they weren't sell-outs, I shouted, "sure you are!" while smiling, >> they kinda stopped and snorted, he shook his head, and went on. (: > >And we all tried to back away and look like we didn't know the guy with >the broom... :) > >The concert was great! I haven't been in the very front before, so that >was pretty exciting in itself. Yesterday I thought I might just drop >everything and head down to Portland. They did invite us after all. If >only it weren't a school night! Sounds like it was a good show, too. Yeah, there was no way I could have made it. I get off work at 4pm and get up at 6am. And it's about a 4 hour drive each way for me. >I was hoping They'd play some more older stuff (it's getting older all the >time), and some more unusual stuff like Weep Day, but that's OK. They did >sing Broom and shoot off the canon, so I can't complain! Ah. So They're >in Palo Alto tomorrow night? Hmmm... I don't *have* to stick around to >take that final tomorrow.... I thought I'd gotten my They fix for a while, >but I guess I was wrong! Maybe I ought to get ahold of some of that sweet >& sour sauce. :) *snicker* I still have my broom in my car, complete with the little tissue squares They shot decorating it. And complete with it's little sprout. (: >*sigh* Back to work. Actually, it's off to lunch for me. > -Lani O:) >lanio@u.washington.edu Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:29:27 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Veruca Salt Message-ID: > >Anyone know who sings that song that they played on the end > >of House of Style the other day??? Goes something like: > > > > "Leave me > > Right here > > Cus I don't wanna go" > It's Veruca Salt's new one... I don't remember the title, but I heard it's > "the sequel song to 'Seether'." And to answer the rest of you - *why* was I > watching MTV? ...I have, no clue.. Well, thanks to an entire week with nothing to do, I watched enough MTV for all of us. The name of the song is "Volcano Girls", and the video features the band bungee jumping around and playing their instruments. Kind of like a cross between "Living on a Prayer" (Bon Jovi..duh) and "Wish" (Nine Inch Nails). I'm talking about the video, not the song. Good thing about watching MTV all last week. Saw the video for "Battle of Who Could Care Less" (Ben Folds Five...double duh) about five times. I love it. Anyway, see ya. Bill tAtalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970312205416.00673214@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:54:16 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: MP3 At 02:29 PM 3/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >Help the naive girl.... What's an "mp3"? :} It's a type of MPEG audio file. Although I've never listened to any myself, I hear they're really high quality and the file sizes aren't too large. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:19:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312161940_1451416239@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Weep Day, Tambo and Urine Man From the Then CD booklet: "The germ for Weep Day was the hyphenated reference to a song on the back of a Bob Dylan record jacket which read 'Mr Tambo- urine Man.' Flansburgh drew disturbing likenesses of both Mr. Tambo and Urine Man and Linnell dreamed up their antithetical relationship and set it to music." Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:53:57 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS online and TBAR Message-ID: On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Ryan Staib wrote: > singing the same notes as the bells. They replaced the synth with a more real > bell sound, and they also added a singer. Maybe you've never listened to it > with a good stereo and headphones? I like the synth, but I don't like the > guitar. I think the bass and drums are better on CD, as well as that "They > hear the sound" part. > Well...maybe or maybe not, but what I hear is the woman singing and personally that just ruins the song for me. This may sound hokey, but when I first heard the DAS version of TBAR, I thought, "Wow, what a great song! Those bells sound so real!" And of course they don't, but that song totally mesmerized me, and I called again like five more tiems to hear it. Though I like the version on the CD, the singer just doesn't have it compared to the synth bells- I think they sound more realistic, and so they totally add to the song. To me, the singer is just saying, "bong bong" and that doesn't make me think of bells, really... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:17:36 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial a Song Message-ID: On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, I have no Name wrote: > okay.... i just got through to dial-a-song for the first time in my life > (it's always been busy) and i have a couple of questions..... is it > always the same as what's on the website? cuz if it is i really don't > need to be making these long distance calls. Well...yes and no. I mean, I have PODAs and I still call...the thrill of getting through almost overshadows the cost...well, almost. But they have added to some of the songs (has anyone heard the new version of "Mainstream USA"? With the tacked on verse? Its like Linnell is speaking to me on the phone (in real life, der!) it's great, its so clear. Yet odd because you aren't expecting it...) and they have different songs on the phone, a new song every hour, instead of every week. So I guess its up to you and your bank account (mine's just got catfood, I dont' care!) _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:20:34 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell the Highlander? Message-ID: On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > I betcha anything he's an Immortal. Notice how recent pictures of him look > very much like older pictures of him. :) > Ohmigod, I think you're right. If so, he definitely is multi-talented- an accomplished artist, a craftsman, a musician that can play just about every instrument (he's had a _long_ time to learn, I'll bet!) That must be why he stays out of the way and doesn't get so involved in the fans like Flansy does- he's afraid he'll meet another Immortal! Cause there can be only one, ya know...I wonder where he keeps his sword. I like to think he uses a broad sword much in the style of chivalry! Go Linnell! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:26:17 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > Anyone have a recording and/or set list (come on, I SAW the set lists > going.... Lani was too shy to ask for one... hehehehe) (: Oh shutup. You didn't ask for one either. :) Of course, I don't think you planned to. :} -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:29:24 -0800 >---------- >From: Alex[SMTP:alex@europa.com] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 11:43 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert > >I tell you. I've seen TMBG four times, and last night was far and away >the best show I've ever seen. The setlist has been posted, so I won't >bother with that formality. > >John Linnell was the most animated I've ever seen him. Getting married >must have shot him full o' the dickens or something! He actually talked >to the audience as much as Flans! I thought it'd be a cold day in hell >before I saw that happen. It was so great hearing older songs that >everyone figured were permanently in the "tour vault." I had more fun >last night than I've ever had at a concert, of anyone's. Yes, it topped >the last BNL show I saw. It really was that good. :) I told ya!!! He's a new man! He even smiled most of the show, didn't he? (: >Brian Dewan was really interesting. he impressed the hell out of all of >us. :) Likewise. Where did he come from? What's his association with Them? Anyone know? Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:31:16 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 3:26 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Cc: 'tmbg-digest@tmbg.org' >Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing > >On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >> Anyone have a recording and/or set list (come on, I SAW the set lists >> going.... Lani was too shy to ask for one... hehehehe) (: > >Oh shutup. You didn't ask for one either. :) Of course, I don't think >you planned to. :} Nope, I had no intention to. Wasn't interested, really. You seemed to be, but wouldn't go ask despite my urgings, so as you saw they went before our eyes. *poke* Moral of the story, folks: If you don't ask, you'll never get it. > -Lani O:) >lanio@u.washington.edu Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:36:23 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 1997 3:26 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Cc: 'tmbg-digest@tmbg.org' >Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing > >Oh shutup. You didn't ask for one either. :) Of course, I don't think >you planned to. :} Though, on the other hand.... I DID plan to hoist off my broom onto the stage if John and John would have been receptive, but 3 things stopped me: 1) They didn't seem inclined to take it. 2) They don't like things being thrown on-stage without their permission. 3) 3 big bouncers who would've thrown me out. I don't like missing out on shows I pay for, especially ones I REALLY want to see. (: Besides, a bunch of people came up to me after the show, asking about why I'd brought the broom, the Then cd, why I'd brought the broom, this mailing list, why I'd brought the broom, the TMBG web site, and um... did I mention "why I'd brought the broom"? Jesse, Cadavers, Cadavers, Everywhere Cadavers! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:37:55 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > Nope, I had no intention to. Wasn't interested, really. > You seemed to be, but wouldn't go ask despite my urgings, > so as you saw they went before our eyes. *poke* > > Moral of the story, folks: If you don't ask, you'll never get it. True, but I only actually saw (the last) one as it was being handed to someone. I was too busy picking up confetti. Woohoo! "Close your eyes. The pellets are coming at your eyes. You've been warned." -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:56:13 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT goddess... dead at 16 Message-ID: On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >1) Front Design? Will it be Front and back, or just back? What about having > >the "Freak Magnet" quote on the sleeve? > > Er, why not just have the "freak magnet" quote on the front? > Yeah! Great idea! It should be in a cool font, too! ("No! We want an ugly font! We want people to come up to us and say, 'Well, I was gonna read yer shirt, but it was _too ugly!_'" Sorry...) _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Yeah, 'snarky'- from the ancient Greek meaning 'butthead'" \\ -Mikey Kellerman, "Homicide" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Seattle show Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:03:02 -0800 I keep meaning to post this, but keep forgetting... At the concert Monday night They told everyone to form a conga line. (Forgot which song they did it for). They then told everyone that there was another band playing RIGHT NOW in the Moore Theatre (where they usually play in Seattle), and that band was forming THEIR crowd right now into a conga line, and if we all conga'd over there, we could trade crowds. (: Then they said to aim the conga line toward the back of the floor, so when they got back to the front there'd be plenty of room! (: No one conga'd. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:16:43 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > > I told ya!!! He's a new man! He even smiled most of the show, didn't > he? (: Yep! It totally blew me away... > > >Brian Dewan was really interesting. he impressed the hell out of all of > >us. :) > > Likewise. Where did he come from? What's his association with Them? > Anyone know? All I know is that he's got a relationship with JF's Hello club-- Since he's from brooklyn as well, I assume that he's also friends with John & John, especially how they were acting with him on stage. Further associations include the fact that all his package and shirt design is done by J. Otto "Mr. Lunch" Seibold, who did a lot of Flood & Pre-Flood artwork for the Johns. -Alex "We got a setlist!" | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703130045.TAA06887@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Greek #3 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:45:22 -0500 (EST) I finally got Greek #3 up in Real Audio form for those of you who don't like WAV's. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 19:47:52 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: CALVIN show Message-Id: <970312.194923.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hi all! if there is anyone in the mt. pleasant area who wants to go to this show, please, please, please email me!!! i would rilly like to get a group going if at all possible. please email me! come on, duu eet! :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:59:17 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: RE: TMBG: Portland Oregon Concert Message-ID: > > > >John Linnell was the most animated I've ever seen him. Getting married > >must have shot him full o' the dickens or something! He actually talked Well.... I hate to even bring this up, but could it possibly be that he got laid? I mean, yes marriage, yes all the rest, but would it be too much of a shock to anybody if Linny married as a virgin? Damn straight it shot him full of the dickens! Again, sorry to even mention this thought. I expect it to start something. Love you all, ELITZA (The Spork Princess) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 07:58:12 -0800 From: Han Solo Wanna-Be Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle show Message-id: <3326D293.23E7@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> Organization: Sun Star Traders > I keep meaning to post this, but keep forgetting... > > At the concert Monday night They told everyone to > form a conga line. (Forgot which song they did it for). > They then told everyone that there was another band > playing RIGHT NOW in the Moore Theatre (where they > usually play in Seattle), and that band was forming > THEIR crowd right now into a conga line, and if we all > conga'd over there, we could trade crowds. (: > > Then they said to aim the conga line toward the back > of the floor, so when they got back to the front there'd > be plenty of room! (: > > No one conga'd. > > Jesse The song that They told everyone to conga to was probably "No One Knows My Plan". 3 out of the 4 shows I've been to the song was played and They told everyone to conga. And most people were receptive to it too. The biggest line at the 3 show was probably about 75-95 people long at Cortland, NY. Brian Mellem PS- Does anyone know if They are coming to upstate NY at all, cuz I'd love too see Them again. They were just at my school last October. -- => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => Brian Mellem, wishing you a very They day!! Visit my web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ It isn't much yet. A Geocities page is coming soon too. Egad a base tone denotes a bad age.-TMBG "I'm your only friend. I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend....."-TMBG <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Review of the Complete FS Sessions Message-ID: <19970312.161545.3335.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:02:45 EST Hi again, Here is my review of the unreleased tracks on the Complete Factory Showroom Sessions, almost all of which is favorable. Remember, these are all completed studio versions of the songs, not live. On the Drag - Just the live version. Hard, fast, and very catchy. Counterfeit Faker - cute song. Much softer than the live version, but still distinctly bluegrass with that fiddle. Certain People I Could Name - Why was this not on FS???? It's a perfect song. Linnell's lyrics come out wonderfully. Featuring Linnell on piano-keyboard. Reprehensible- a wonderful track. A mix of Jazz and harmony. Wonder where They got those back-up singers? Another "why wasn't this on FS?" Older - yet another version of the song. great tune. They Got Lost - almost the same as the live version. Linnell is singing soft-spokenly. Rat Patrol - They might be Aerosmith. I swear, Flans sounds like a cross between Steven Tyler and Axl Rose. Too much Eric, too. Cool fadeout, though. Sounds like a baby crying. Thanx for reading, Larry My bootlegs - http://members.aol.com/garit1997 "Up until just recently, gambling was thought to be blasphemy. Like Wilson Phillips, evil stuff." - Moxy Fruvous http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions Message-ID: <19970312.161544.3335.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:02:45 EST Hello friends, I just got a copy of the complete Factory Showroom sessions! It's a great find, especially since it includes completed versions of several unreleased songs. This tape has all 22 songs that were recorded last year in the Factory Showroom recording sessions. I'd be happy to trade this tape for other stuff. I'm particularly looking for 1997 shows, especially good copies of the Irving Plaza shows from last month. Here is the complete track list: Metal Detector New York City Spiralling Shape XTC vs. Adam Ant Sensurround Token Back to Brooklyn On the Drag James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like a Girl? Your Own Worst Enemy Counterfeit Faker Til My Head Falls Off Pet Name Certain People I Could Name S-E-X-X-Y The Bells are Ringing Unforgotten Exquisite Dead Guy Reprehensible Older They Got Lost Rat Patrol A review of the Complete Factory Showroom Sessions will follow in another message. Thanks for reading, Larry Check out my bootleg list, lots of TMbG: http://members.aol.com/garit1997 "Up until just recently, gambling was thought to be blasphemy. Like Wilson Phillips, evil stuff." - Moxy Fruvous http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33270245.4626@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:21:41 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: She doesn't have to have her dB's records back Greetings Giant-heads, Did anybody out there ever see Chris Stamey open for the Giants?? I suggest any Giant fan to check out records by the dB's. As Flans stole them from her, so shall you get your hands on them. First rate power-pop, indeed. Everybody have a Strawberry Kool-Aid day, Peace in John and John, Bill from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:37:11 -0600 (CST) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line Message-Id: all this talk about the recent show(s) featuring the famous conga*line reminds me of this little known fact (or maybe it's well known and i'm not as smart as i like to think...) : at the December 1994 concert in Kansas City, the conga*line was retired due to THREE injuries that night. It was a massive line, nearly everyone in the place, and it got pretty crazy as i recall. Anyhow, as Flans was telling this story at the November 1996 concert (in KC) he said, "but now that we're back, let's give it another shot -- everybody CONGA!" and They preceeded to play 'Twistin' and we conga'd our hearts out. i'm glad to hear it's back in working order, and on behalf of the kansas city tmbg'ers, i'd like to apologize for any inconvenience we caused. jillian ps...can anyone confirm that there wasn't a conga*line anytime between Dec 94 and Nov 96? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - * jillian buser * university of kansas * woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu * http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb i met someone at the dog show * she was holding my left arm * but everyone was acting normal so i tried to look nonchalant * we both said i really love you * the shriners loaned us cars * we raced up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:42:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312203830_953006933@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions In a message dated 97-03-12 20:28:22 EST, Garit wrote: << I just got a copy of the complete Factory Showroom sessions! It's a great find, especially since it includes completed versions of several unreleased songs. This tape has all 22 songs that were recorded last year in the Factory Showroom recording sessions. I'd be happy to trade this tape for other stuff. I'm particularly looking for 1997 shows, especially good copies of the Irving Plaza shows from last month. >> Where did you get this? Was this released publicly? P.S. Today I was at a store that specializes in hard to find CDs.. I didn't have any money so I didn't know exactly why I was there (LIVE IN NY!!!) I mean they are supposed to have rare CDs (LIVE IN NY!!!) so what was I expecting to find (LIVE IN NY!!!!)... anyway they didn't have exactly what I was looking for (LIVE IN NY!!!) but they did have the SWAHD single with Mr. Klaw.. For Science.. Uh.. others to.. I forget which exactly... it is on tape but I'll buy it anyway! They also had 2 Connells on vinyl. YAY!!! Once I buy this other CD I am waiting for (THEN; THE EARLIER YEARS) I will buy ALL of them!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! P.P.S. for all who didn't notice... In my new .sig.... look for a different fun thing to do on an elevator! 50 in all!! NEW THING EACH TIME!!! /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > <38. Say "I wonder what all these do" and push the red buttons.> < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970312200600.007c7100@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:06:00 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan... ...did the cover art for Lincoln ...did some Fingertips -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970312211700.007da380@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:17:00 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions >Where did you get this? Was this released publicly? Now think about this... If they were released publicly then I would know what On The Drag sounds like, cause I (along with everyone else on this list) would already have a copy. I won't be interested in trading for it, because all those unreleased songs will (with any luck) be on "Thing" However, what would be neat would be some studio outtakes a la Beatles Anthology.... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:21:24 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: TMBG: Re: Brian Dewan... Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > ...did the cover art for Lincoln > > ...did some Fingertips I didn't know he contributed to Fingertips. Very interesting! I'm *really* impressed with him now. :) One of the high points of the night was when They brought him out to help out w/ Spy, and John Linnell gave him an accordian-- I read his lips, and he asked Brian if he knew how to play it, and Brian kind of shrugged and said it had been a while. So John put his fingers on the right key. ;) It was totally cool. | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:29:55 -0800 (PST) From: seKretlY caucASIAN Subject: RE: TMBG: Dewan Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: a bunch of unrelated things, and then remarked: > >Brian Dewan was really interesting. he impressed the hell out of all of > >us. :) > > Likewise. Where did he come from? What's his association with Them? > Anyone know? > > > Jesse > just randomly looking through Lincoln, he apparently did the "cover art," so could he bave been the one to construct that, um, thing..with..men..and towers..and other objects that elude description? though what further connections i have no idea, but it seems there's something at www.bar-none.com/bios/brianbio.html John, sasn jkwhite@ucsd.edu sdcc13.ucsd.edu~/jkwhite ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970313030246.0067d3a0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:02:46 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: *sigh* Chatting with a person from my math class today at dinner... I mention that I'm going to a concert tomorrow. She says, "Who?" And I say, "They Might Be Giants." And she says, "You're KIDDING?!" in tones of delight at the name and disgust that she hadn't heard of the concert earlier. Much excited at the prospect of discovering another True Fan, I excitedly start yammering on about Their greatness. And then she says something to the effect of "Yeah, and that song Particle Man... they're SOOOOooo FUNNY!" *sigh* Well, at least she didn't use the q-word. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:14:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312221107_308653527@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) Just feel like bragging: He got his copy of that tape from none other than li'l old me! Yay! Check out my page for three or four rare/unreleased TMBG songs! This week's (month's) are the studio-recorded version of "Certain People", the Live in NY version of Why Does the Sun Shine? and also (just cuz I like it so much) "Welcome to the Jungle." These are all full songs, not clips, encoded in RealAudio. Check 'em out! And trade TMBG stuff to Garit so that he gets more TMBG stuff! That's what I did to get all the stuff I have now! (Which is just about everything They've ever done) I bet you don't care about me, though! That's okay! Neither do I! Shut up, will you, Kame? Okay! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:35:53 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199703130335.WAA03889@quasar.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) At 10:14 PM 3/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >Just feel like bragging: > >He got his copy of that tape from none other than li'l old me! Yay! Check >out my page for three or four rare/unreleased TMBG songs! This week's >(month's) are the studio-recorded version of "Certain People", the Live in NY >version of Why Does the Sun Shine? and also (just cuz I like it so much) >"Welcome to the Jungle." These are all full songs, not clips, encoded in >RealAudio. Check 'em out! And trade TMBG stuff to Garit so that he gets >more TMBG stuff! That's what I did to get all the stuff I have now! (Which >is just about everything They've ever done) I bet you don't care about me, >though! That's okay! Neither do I! Shut up, will you, Kame? Okay! I would love to visit your site. Before visiting, however, I would need the URL... >Well, at least she didn't use the q-word. uhhhh... wha? ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions (And More!) Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:50:41 -0600 Message-ID: <19970313035040356.AAA298@ppp188.baraboo.com> Ok, he forgoot to mention his homepage adress, which i found, quite easily (it was obvious) anyway, find the unrelesed songs here: http://members.aol.com/~Kamesennin/tmbg.htm have fun. i hope obody already posted this. If they did, i hant gottin it within the last 30 seconds. bye -Wyatt ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:36:42 PST | > So anyway, Brian started up about 5-10 minutes late. | > But he was good, so good in fact he sold us on him. | > I think Lani even went back to get an album of his after the show. | > I never knew that an electric zither or whatever he used could sound | > so much like 2 electric guitars. *smirk* | > (He ended with Rumplestiltskin) | | Yes, he was awesome! It was such a great surprise that he was there, | 'cause I've been wanting to hear his stuff. It's kind of like those S&W | canned foods commercials where you think the next gift you open is just | going to be *another* toaster, but instead it is a glorious can of stewed | tomatoes and your life suddenly has a new and profound meaning and an | inspirational musical accompaniment. Well, maybe not quite like that, but | still a great surprise. ;) So, is the inspirational musical accompaniment something by TMBG, or is this totally unrelated? (searching around for Ryan's phone number...) ;) And do peas somehow play into this, or is it just the fact that any S&W canned goods will do? | | I have to admit I liked Brian's live performance much better than the CD, | but it's still really good. I'm still going to buy the new one coming out | sometime this summer. Yay! | Brian told us to search and search and search and search until we found the new CD... so I've begun searching now. :) | > They did their two planned encores. They put the "John and John | > with the drum machine and tape" in the middle of their set instead of | > at the beginning or end. | | They told someone offstage "Be ready to hit the stop button. This may | crash right from the top." Linnell: "What key is this in?" Flans: "I | think it's in C now." Linnell plays a chord. Both nod with slightly | relieved grins. | And throughout that whole section Linnell kept leaning into the PA and concentrating really hard, and they switched the PA on the left hand side of the stage, so I think they were having a tough time hearing it to play along. Yet they still did beautifully. Another entertaining moment I forgot: at the beginning of one song (which one I forget) Flansy just randomly spoke up "Hey, Mr. Spotlight Guy, I do nothing for the first 45 seconds of this song, so just don't pay attention to me"... he stood toward the back of the stage making funny faces. Which leads me to a question: I've seen TMBG twice live. The first time I saw them the stage set-up was: Graham on Bass ............ Flansy.................. Linnell This time the set-up was: Flansy................. Linnell.................. Graham. Was it venue? Tour? Just a change of pace? I think I like the first set-up better... but that's probably just because then Flansburgh is at the center of it all, and he's my favorite. :) Whatever.... Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:58:20 PST | | >We must have still had that fish smell about us so everyone kept away. | >Next time, let's not meet in front of the fish section of Pike Place | >Market, eh? It was fine until they started hosing down the area. Ugh. | >:) | | *snicker* Aw, but we all needed a shower anyway, right? Well, at least | AFTER the show we did. The drug-smoke haze was so bad Flansburgh | commented on it casually when they FIRST GOT ON STAGE. Said | something like, "You know, usually they pass the *forgot what he called | it, something like under-the-couch-joints* around the middle of the | show. | You guys started really early." But then, later on, they DID say we | were | one of the nicest crowds they've played. (: Actually, it was just a few songs into the set. They also joked about how cheap it smelled, "like it was shipped in from some foreign country? What's with that?" And after John made that comment the smell dissappeared (or at least I didn't notice it anymore during the show) | >> So anyway, Brian started up about 5-10 minutes late. | >> But he was good, so good in fact he sold us on him. | >> I think Lani even went back to get an album of his after the show. | >> I never knew that an electric zither or whatever he used could sound | >> so much like 2 electric guitars. *smirk* | >> (He ended with Rumplestiltskin) | > | >Yes, he was awesome! It was such a great surprise that he was there, | >'cause I've been wanting to hear his stuff. It's kind of like those S&W | >canned foods commercials where you think the next gift you open is just | >going to be *another* toaster, but instead it is a glorious can of stewed | >tomatoes and your life suddenly has a new and profound meaning and an | >inspirational musical accompaniment. Well, maybe not quite like that, but | >still a great surprise. ;) | | *laugh* Don't worry, I won't tell your friend. And I don't think | Michelle | will either. (: (inside joke, sorry) | | >I did run back in and buy the CD after I accidentally left without it. | >There was this guy just standing off to the side that I didn't really | >notice until he stepped in front of me and I almost slammed into him. | >"OH, sorry, I just want to buy one of those CDs." "Were you at the show | >tonight? Can I see your stamp?" So I showed him the "I grew hemp" stamp | >on my wrist and he reluctantly let me back in. | | Kool! I'll have to borrow it from you sometime. (: ME TOO! ME TOO! | | >I have to admit I liked Brian's live performance much better than the CD, | >but it's still really good. I'm still going to buy the new one coming out | >sometime this summer. Yay! | | *noggle* Anyone know if he's in regular stores (like the Warehouse or | Fred Meyer Music Mart or Tower)? Or do ya hafta order it mail-order? | Try Cellophane Square... they usually seem to have cool stuff. So, are us Seattleites starting to annoy everyone with all our obnoxious posts yet? I highly recommend the pre-show bonding experience! Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: Portland, OR Concert Review Type Thing Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 21:00:29 PST | >> >32 Footsteps (also John + John + tape) | >> >Where Your Eyes Don't Go | >> >Birdhouse In Your Soul | >> >She's Actual Size | >> >No One Knows My Plan | >> >Meet James Ensor - slower tempo | >> | >> They also played these at the Seattle show | >> And I think they didn't play "worst enemy" in Oregon because | >> they played it twice up here. (: | > | >They didn't play all of these. Er...did they? My email's down for one | >day and my brain gets totally screwed up. | > | > -Lani O:) | >lanio@u.washington.edu | | The only ones I'm not 100% sure of are Where your eyes don't go | and Meet James Ensor... But I'm more than 50% sure they did. | | Anyone have a recording and/or set list (come on, I SAW the set lists | going.... Lani was too shy to ask for one... hehehehe) (: | | Jesse | Where your Eyes don't go I THINK they did, but I might just be making that up... Meet James Ensor they didn't... unless I took a nap at some point in the show, or really don't know the song. Just ignore me... I'm rambling. If anyone was recording the show they were being very shy about it... I kept scanning the crowd thinking a couple of friends I hadn't heard from in a long time might be present (fellow TMBG fans), and never saw any hints of recording equipment. Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3327259E.2C20@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:52:30 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: q quirky uh huh Bill ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:56:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970312225541_1483284777@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Inside Space. Yay! TMBG on Sanders! :) Okay, i was just wondering about this - remember at the HoB someone said Sci Fi was there shooting Inside Space? Has it aired yet? Anyone have it on tape? sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The One and Only" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle show Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:52:35 PST I believe Brian is correct as to what song formed the Conga line... there was, indeed, a conga line at the show, but it was a small one and it was behind us. (Sort of that whole theory we were explaining to Sascha, when you're in the front 2 "rows" you're pretty much immune) I especially like the way John suggested people "leave your purse or wallet on the floor, and when the song is over you'll be back where you began" When they played Portland for John Henry they did the Conga Line, and the bar was much more active than the regular crowd about doing the Conga (Prob'ly because we were already in the back of the venue)... there was one guy who was just SO EXCITED about the Conga line, and getting people involved, I asked him if he was somehow related to the band and planted in the crowd. He said, "No, I just love to do the Conga!" It was fun... (and I ended up in a better spot then where I began.) Michelle ---------- | > I keep meaning to post this, but keep forgetting... | > | > At the concert Monday night They told everyone to | > form a conga line. (Forgot which song they did it for). | > They then told everyone that there was another band | > playing RIGHT NOW in the Moore Theatre (where they | > usually play in Seattle), and that band was forming | > THEIR crowd right now into a conga line, and if we all | > conga'd over there, we could trade crowds. (: | > | > Then they said to aim the conga line toward the back | > of the floor, so when they got back to the front there'd | > be plenty of room! (: | > | > No one conga'd. | > | > Jesse | | The song that They told everyone to conga to was probably "No One Knows | My Plan". 3 out of the 4 shows I've been to the song was played and They | told everyone to conga. And most people were receptive to it too. The | biggest line at the 3 show was probably about 75-95 people long at | Cortland, NY. | | Brian Mellem | | PS- Does anyone know if They are coming to upstate NY at all, cuz I'd | love too see Them again. They were just at my school last October. | -- | => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => | => Brian Mellem, wishing you a very They day!! | Visit my web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ | It isn't much yet. A Geocities page is coming soon too. | Egad a base tone denotes a bad age.-TMBG | "I'm your only friend. I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little | glowing | friend....."-TMBG | <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= | <= | ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:06:41 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Dewan Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, seKretlY caucASIAN wrote: > something at www.bar-none.com/bios/brianbio.html Ooo! I just checked this out and it says "Dewan also crafts unique furniture in his shop and his elaborate pieces grace some of New York's finest homes" I want some Dewan furniture! Someone buy me some Dewan furniture! -Lani O:) (Obviously not recovered from the concert yet) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:11:13 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, The One and Only wrote: > | Yes, he was awesome! It was such a great surprise that he was there, > | 'cause I've been wanting to hear his stuff. It's kind of like those S&W > | canned foods commercials where you think the next gift you open is just > | going to be *another* toaster, but instead it is a glorious can of stewed > | tomatoes and your life suddenly has a new and profound meaning and an > | inspirational musical accompaniment. Well, maybe not quite like that, but > | still a great surprise. ;) > > So, is the inspirational musical accompaniment something by TMBG, or is > this totally unrelated? (searching around for Ryan's phone number...) ;) No don't do it! And unfortunately, though it should be TMBG, it is an unrelated thing. Not the song. Just a thing unrelated. :) > And do peas somehow play into this, or is it just the fact that any S&W > canned goods will do? The peas were unrelated things, too. Small, green unrelated things. Are we carrying this inside joke thing too far? -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:22:56 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, The One and Only wrote: > | >I did run back in and buy the CD after I accidentally left without it. > | >There was this guy just standing off to the side that I didn't really > | >notice until he stepped in front of me and I almost slammed into him. > | >"OH, sorry, I just want to buy one of those CDs." "Were you at the show > | >tonight? Can I see your stamp?" So I showed him the "I grew hemp" stamp > | >on my wrist and he reluctantly let me back in. > | > | Kool! I'll have to borrow it from you sometime. (: > > ME TOO! ME TOO! The CD or the hemp? > So, are us Seattleites starting to annoy everyone with all our obnoxious > posts yet? I highly recommend the pre-show bonding experience! Never! We're not annoying. We're polite. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:54:48 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Urine Man? Tom Hare asked: >I was just wondering... if urine man was the actual lyric sung in Weep Day. I get the digest, so forgive me if anyone who has the the _official_ lyrics has spoken up about this. At the time we were compiling the lyrics to PODAS, I asked if _anyone_ could make out the famous chorus lyrics in "Tropical Island aka A Wonderful Song." What I got was a reply from someone who was on the list at the time, Bill Krauss, producer of the first They Might Be Giants album. He said that the song was called "Weep Day" and that the lyric went "And it's samba time for Tambo and Weep Day for Urine Man." It surprised me and, at the same time, made me happy, because "Urine Man" was the only thing I could hear it to be, and I kept thinking, "Nah, it couldn't be." Now, remember, that was from Mr. Krauss. Until I see that the Giants say otherwise, I'll go with "Urine Man." --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:05:06 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Mar-97 TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line by ILOVEMARTHASTEWART@falco > shot -- everybody CONGA!" and They preceeded to play 'Twistin' and we Twisting? Weird... as far as I can tell, they only have two songs that have the right rhythm to conga to... one of them is No One Knows My Plan. There is one other song where the rhythm is essentially identical, but much more subtle. Which one is it? (I've been doing lots of sequencing lately, so I've experienced it :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33278CE6.C03@earthlink.net> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:13:10 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: possible old news Saw an ad in Billboard for Restless records that featured the cover of the box set. It has a drawing of a cruise ship in a bottle on the cover. If this has already been posted or seen by everyone...my apologies as I am behind in my digests. Herne ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:08:16 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Dewan Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Mar-97 RE: TMBG: Dewan by seKretlY caucASIAN@sdcc1 > just randomly looking through Lincoln, he apparently did the "cover art," > so could he bave been the one to construct that, um, > thing..with..men..and towers..and other objects that elude description? > though what further connections i have no idea, but it seems there's > something at www.bar-none.com/bios/brianbio.html He shares/shared an apartment with John Linnell. I'm assuming they knew each other before, though... His "claim to fame" for the few people in the world who recognize his name (i.e. TMBG fans) is the electric zither. He built it out of parts of other instruments - I think a harpsichord and an electric guitar were involved. And it sounds really neat. Of course, I've only seen him play one song (Obedience School, on the TMBG bootleg video Volume 2), and his CD is really hard to find - although you can order it at Tower... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:14:57 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert .. by "The One and Only"@wolfe > Was it venue? Tour? Just a change of pace? > I think I like the first set-up better... but that's probably just because > then Flansburgh is at the center of it all, and he's my favorite. :) The first setup was unusual. I've seen them 5 times: 10/18/94 Tony Flans Linnell (keyboard) / Linnell (accordion) with the horn players behind Linnell and slightly to his left - this was on a VERY large stage, so they had a lot of room. 6/7/96 Eric Flans Linnell Graham with Graham and Eric kind of behind the others 8/16/96 Eric Flans Linnell Graham with the horn players almost directly behind Graham (smaller stage at the 9:30 club) 12/14/96 Flans Eric Linnell Graham 12/27/96 Flans Linnell Graham Flansburgh *always* stands to Linnell's right from their point of view. I have yet to see a performance where he doesn't. It's probably because he plays his guitar left handed. Graham stands on the opposite side of the stage for the same (opposite) reason. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 01:00:53 -0500 (EST) From: Nathan Smith Subject: TMBG: Jungle Message-ID: Whoever's web page has the three .ra files on it. (Certain P, WTTJJ, WDTSS) I was wondering if they had a .wav file or any other sound file. If so, could they please send Welcome to the Jungle to me. It is one of my favorite songs and all I have is the PODAS version. Thanks! ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:10:48 -0600 (CST) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-Conga*line Message-Id: On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Twisting? Weird... as far as I can tell, they only have two songs that > have the right rhythm to conga to... one of them is No One Knows My > Plan. There is one other song where the rhythm is essentially > identical, but much more subtle. Which one is it? (I've been doing > lots of sequencing lately, so I've experienced it :) > yeah, i thought it strange too, but i wrote it on my set list when i got home so that's how i'm sure...plus, No One wasn't until the encore, and the cong*o*rama was mid-concert...you know, so everyone could pack in even tighter to the stage after the song...:) jillian ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 01:26:25 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970313013020.2197f8a4@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: it's alive...ALIVE!! Finally, my hideous creation is complete! It's still monstrous and frightening, but at least it isn't missing its lower limbs anymore. On Mr. Flippy's TMBG sound gallery, you can now find the completed version of "I'll Sink Manhattan" combined most sloppily with "SEXXY". The beast has been chained up for your protection, but nobody knows how long the chains will hold, so come at your own risk! Muahahaha!! They called me 'mad' at the University!! Alex ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 01:43:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970313014340_-1505996402@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT order questions Right here. Left is off doing the Goddess' homework for her while she is incapacitated. I'll be answering questions today. From a "Skameleon@aol.com", who may just get a cent or two knocked off his OMLT fee for having such a great name (don't quote us on that, though): >i'm interested, but i want to see what the shirt looks like . . .so >if you could please direct me in the right direction towards where i could >see what it looks like Go forth and view, all: http://omlt.home.ml.org From Mr. Larry Santiago, some more questions to which we thought everyone should know the answers: >1) Where do I send the money? It all goes to us! Mu ha ha ha.... er, wait. Sorry. It will get sent to the Goddess when all orders have been placed, but until then don't worry about it. We'll post an address when we're good and ready. >2) How much is it? If exactly 100 people order a shirt, $9.60. However, the chances of this happening are small, so don't write those checks out yet, folks. It will be somewhere in that $9-10 range. Something we do know for sure is that, while the Goddess would leap at the chance to get more bootlegs, she is not rich enough to trade shirts for tapes (as this would mean she'd have to pick up the tab on the shirt... the shirt company is not likely interested in concert boots of some band they've never heard of). So thanks to all who offered, but it ain't possible. >3) Who do I make the check out to? Not sure yet. Possibly the shirt company, possibly the Goddess' mommy, who will then consolidate all the checks into one big one. It all depends on whether the company is picky. >4) When can I expect the shirt? As of this moment, 28 final orders have been received. The Goddess originally received about 100 preliminary orders. As soon as the final order number reaches that vicinity, we Shoes will start calling for last orders. We'd love for this to happen as soon as possible, HINT HINT. However, we realize that many people are on spring break now so we are forced to be lenient. (Grrr...) So really we cannot predict a date with any accuracy. Late April or early May would be our guess. And now, Julie Baker demonstrates the proper way to approach the Shoes: >Julie kneels humbly at the OMLT Goddess' feet. "Oh great and glorious >goddess...here is the information you have demended from all us who >have a need for an OMLT...please accept this as a right and just >sacrifice..." Remember, kiddies: the faster you send those orders, the faster you'll get your shirts. Please include *ALL* of the following info when writing: -number and *size* of shirts (everyone forgets to include size) -a name and mailing address -e-mail address that you use most Send this info to Christi587@aol.com or christy@tmbg.org ASAP. Oh yes, and we thank you all for your concern about the OMLT Goddess. She appears to be recovering nicely. There will be emotional scars, of course-- she may never learn to like coffee now-- but we expect a full recovery by her spring break, when she will be parading around the New York/ New England area shaking her academic booty for various colleges. --Christy's Shoes ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-72 *****************************