Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-74 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 74 Saturday, 15 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG @ TCNJ tix update TMBG: Brian Dewan TMBG: Re: DADA TMBG: Guest list TMBG: dada (none) TMBG: re: all the bickering Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review Re: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation TMBG: Re: TMBG & B-52'S RE: TMBG: Seattle show Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens TMBG: Maryland shows RE: TMBG: Explain something RE: TMBG: Seattle show RE: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation TMBG: MD shows TMBG: Bye bye TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-73 TMBG: Bye guys, see you on the 24th! Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens TMBG: Dada-esque Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens Re: TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: Palo Alto Review Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens RE: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: Dummies vs. Giants TMBG: Xenia Re: TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: TMBG- concerts TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff RE: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Re: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation RE: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff TMBG: JH vs. A18 Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 03:35:32 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: TMBG @ TCNJ tix update Message-ID: Ok... my friend Jeanette (she was on this list last year) and I were in line at 7am Wednesday to get these tickets. We got the ones numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4! To my surprise, it was not a one day sell out. I've heard they've sold only about 200 of 1000 or so tickets. So if you have friends studying at TCNJ, get them to pick up tickets for you if you want to see this concert! Tickets will go on sale again on Monday, March 24 (1st day back from TCNJ's spring break) at 8:30am. They're still $10, limit 2 per valid TSC/TCNJ ID. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Hold onto life people... it is precious and dear and you should cherish what you have. Go out and do the things you want to do and what you are good at so as to make you feel good about yourselves." -Seven, friend from KuentosMUD "Mike, we're not pregnant and it's all your fault!!!" -Me, Casey Oravez and Jennifer Stanislao (in unison) during Principles of Biology II Lab, January 31, 1995 * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970314010137.00683ccc@pop.teleport.com> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:01:41 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan By the way, with all the Brian Dewan talk lately, I wondered if anyone noticed that Brian Dewan pops up on MTV basically every other day. You see, between 2 and 3pm they run a sample hour of "M2" their "sister" station which is devoted to nonstop videos (the sample hour has played both "Don't Let's Start" and "Birdhouse In Your Soul" in the middle of the day on MTV!), and every commercial break they run a little M2 promo spot with some little catchy M2 song made up by some random artists. Well, I'd estimate there are only about 8 different ones at most, so you end up seeing the same promos OVER and OVER again if you watch it often enough. And anyway, Brian Dewan does one of the promo commercials in his own way... and I'd be willing to be that if you watch the sample hour (recommended for its video selection alone) for 2 or 3 days in a row, you'll certainly catch Dewan's bit in the spotlight. Kerry Trade List: http://www.teleport.com/~murmur/myboots.txt ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 00:56:40 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: DADA Message-Id: Cory here. Armed with the knowledge that I've accumulated from the modern art class I'm taking right now, here is what Dada is: Dadaism was a movement started in the 1920's. Some famous artists connected with Dadaism are Tristan Tzara and Max Ernst (who turned to surrealism, but is actually another branch of modern art entirely). Dadaism was named after "dada," which was just a nonsense word. Dadaism encompasses sculpture, painting, performance art, poetry, literature, etc. The irony of Dadaism is that, while identifiable, it was presented in a form that had no form. Dadaists purposely tried to make their art have no meaning whatsoever, and they pretty much succeeded. Several Dadaists slowed turned to surrealism, which involved imagery and performance that took on a dreamlike and attempted to have meaning. More than you ever wanted to know, sorry. Cory ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:25:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314042530_510891777@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Guest list Hello 41- Guest list- Well, through situations that just have happened, thanks to God (myk), I have been on TMBG's guest list several times. I know that their standard guest list just means getting in for free. If you start getting into the upper levels of it, you can start getting in early and going backstage. The most basic is just in for free though. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf I feel really guilty about winning this, because, you know, Oasis IS the best band since the Beatles. -D'Arcy of Smashing Pumpkins at the 1996 MTV European Music Awards Currently in the CD Changer- TMBG-Apollo 18, Young Fresh Fellows-The Men Who Loved Music, Devo-EZ Listening Disc, Coctails-Early Hi-Ball Years, Soul Coughing-Ruby Vroom ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:11:54 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: dada >In a message dated 97-03-13 13:01:59 EST, gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu wrote: > ><< dada-esque >> > >DOES THIS REFER TO THE MUSIC GROUP "DaDa"?? I LOVE THEM!!!! I think it's a fair bet that it's a reference to the artistic movement from the early part of this century. Probably. As in dadaists. Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 05:22:28 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Message-ID: Kerry said: > We're The Replacements - slower tempo ("We're gonna play a song we > haven't played in a long time... actually, I don't even know if we've > ever played it before...") Why don't They like playing this song? At the 9:30 Club last August they said something about playing it so they could bury it again for four more years. Why not just leave it out of all shows if it's that much of a hassle? > I betcha anything he's an Immortal. This has got to be it, if we've overruled the alien theory. From: "Richard E. Michalski" > quirky > > uh huh > Bill Ummm.....ok. Thanks for your input. Evan wrote: > TV Nation was given the distinct honor of beign cancelled by *three* > networks. Only a few select shows have recieved this honor. (The only > other, to my knowledge was "The Critic" starring Jon Lovitz) *sigh* What is wrong with television today that "The Jeff Foxworthy Show" and "Beverly Hills 90210" are still running, but the two *great* shows mentioned above were canceled (several times)??? Kerry noticed: > By the way, with all the Brian Dewan talk lately, I wondered if anyone > noticed that Brian Dewan pops up on MTV basically every other day. This was mentioned to the list last week or so, and I then realized why that little commercial sounded so familiar :) I really like the little promo he sings, especially the "when you could be climbing trees" part. It reminds me of the song of his about the cowboy who dies and he gets put in a circus. Great song. And on a dream-related note, I dreamed the other day that I was at a big assembly with my sorority and we (the sorority) were all singing Why Does the Sun Shine? - the live, fast version - and we drowned everyone else out. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change. ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:50:49 +0100 Message-Id: <97031411504946@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: re: all the bickering Just to go over ALL the stuff about They being some kind of novelty band is just not accurate. Some of the bands mentioned do have a certain amount of humour in their music but Kooky and god forbid Wacky! NO, different yes And has it occured to anyone else that some people (I have been guilty of this also) want certain bands to stay "small" so they don't loose that close ness with thier fans but we also want everyone else to see how good they are. p.s I haven't seen anyone decide on what Ween would be a humour band or something else which defies description. YVS AN IMITATION FROM NEW YORK Y'MADE IN JAPAN FROM CHEESE AND CHALK ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:52:00 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314085155_-1070371984@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Concert Review >But he was being sorta ironic about it... Do you mean sarcastic? ?-) Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:59:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314085918_-1773665162@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation No. <*}}}>< Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703141403.JAA18430@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:03:10 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG & B-52'S First Joshua wrote: >>The above must be a comment borne of ignorance. I won't defend BAD, but if you >>are a serious fan of music and appreciate the depth and growth of They Might Be >>Giants and DON'T understand the debt they owe bands like the B-52's, you need to >>be catching up on some back catalogs, not posting broad statements like this. And Sarah added: >I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean here, but it sounds to me >like you're saying: "If you don't like the B-52's, you shouldn't listen to >TMBG!" Now.... *I* am not fond of the B-52's either. But I'm not bashing >them. C'mon, everyone has their own opinions, and saying stuff like this >won't get you anywhere. But I hardly believe TMBG owes B-52's anything... At the risk of driving everyone crazy by extending this thread by one more post, I want to clarify. Liking the B-52's is not the issue. Joshua's comment about how bad they were was the reason I originally posted, but my defense isn't that you should LIKE the B-52's. Like them or not, the B-52's were a band that came back from the dead letter office of "novelty" music (which was an unfair tab, just like it is for TMBG) to be considered "significant" for their environmental awareness by the time of _Cosmic Thing_. Whether we all agree on a fair label for TMBG (as if they could be labeled), it appears we'd all like them to be considered more than a novelty or humor act. By using the example of the B-52's, I wanted to illustrate that it is possible to make the leap. I love both the fun and serious sides of both bands. I'm not saying you have to. But I'd make sure I heard the entire B-52's catalog before writing them off. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: Urge Overkill - _Exit the Dragon_ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:27:19 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: RE: TMBG: Seattle show Message-ID: For as long as Ive been going to Thier concerts....everyone has been saying "hey" whenever they point to the audience. how odd :P On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > > > >... on a side note, during spy linnell not only pointed to the > > >audience to scream 'spy', but pointed to the main floor and the balcony > > >seperately.. and also, when he does this, do you notice some people just > > >scream, don't they know to scream spy? > > > > Actually, last Monday night here in Seattle, when Flansburgh started it, > > he told us all to go "Aaaaaaaauauauuuauauaaaahhh", not "spy". (: > > And the whole time I was thinking, "why isn't he telling us to say > SPY?!?!" It's funner and sounds better when we're all yelling "SPY!" > instead of "Aaaaaaaauauauuuauauaaaahhh" over and over again. Oh well. :) > > -Lani O:) > lanio@u.washington.edu > _______________________________________________________________ > I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride > -Junior Brown > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:58:29 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens At 6:05 PM -0500 3/13/97, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >>just a personal note, i think sportscenter is quite possibly >>the best show on television >Then you haven't watched Kids in the Hall or Conan! :D actually i stopped watching KITH once they stopped making them, and i do watch Conan :P >>stuart scott is the bomb >'The bomb'. hrmmm... Being a bomb is a good thing? :) you'd better believe it sister Trippy ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703141521.AA10334@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Maryland shows Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:21:11 -0500 (EST) Ok, it has been confirmed that there are indeed 2 Maryland shows in a row on April 18 & 19 (Friday & Saturday nights). I called a friend of mine who's sister goes to Western MD College and she is indeed purchasing tickets very soon for this event. I then called Bohager's Bar & Grill in downtown Baltimore and they said that TMBG were playing there on April 19 and he went onto say that tickets should go on sale *next week* for this. I have no clue if Bohager's is 21+ or not, probably not...luckily they don't play at Fletcher's, which is way too small for TMBG anyway beucase they are always 21+. I've heard that Bohager's can hold as many as 700 people, so it should be a pretty good sized show. To Pudge, TMBG almost never sells out in one day, actually I've never seen them sell out in one day. It's actually amazingly easy to get tix for their shows (unless you try to buy tickets the day before the show, then you might be pressing your luck a bit). -- upcoming concerts: James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Explain something Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 07:38:43 -0800 >---------- >From: Adam Tyner[SMTP:ctyner@awod.com] >Sent: Thursday, March 13, 1997 4:29 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: RE: TMBG: Explain something > >At 07:14 PM 3/13/97 -0500, you wrote: >>Yeah, ok thanks everbody. Also, on a second note: >>I Might Be Interviewing them when they get here... Does anyone have any >>ideas for questions that won't be too stupid and crap since I'm only 17 >>and doing it for a local TV/maybe nonexistent show? > >Well...here are a couple of ideas. > >You might want to ask about any upcoming releases (singles, videos, LPs, >etc.), how They like married life, if there are any plans for another live >CD, and if they know about the tribute album. I can answer that last one. Yes, they know about it, and yes, they're anxious to hear it. In fact, they've requested some samples of what's been submitted so far. There's also some minor "rights" negotiation going on with their management. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Seattle show Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 07:46:32 -0800 >---------- >From: The One and Only[SMTP:mms@wolfenet.com] >Sent: Friday, March 14, 1997 8:23 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse; 'Lani' N Olson >Cc: 'TMBG' >Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle show > >And to think, the conga line came so close to where Jesse and Lani were >standing that Jesse could have reached out and thwaped the conga-ers upside >the head with his broom. :) Really? I didn't notice... Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 07:52:12 -0800 >---------- >From: Phil Schwan[SMTP:pschwan@apk.net] >Sent: Thursday, March 13, 1997 8:15 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation > >Subject: Till My Head Falls Off...Interp? >Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg >Organization: off.net >Summary: New TMHFO interp.... >Keywords: LSD tmbg interp Actually, according to John and John, it's about an old guy who's tired of being interrupted by "young twerps". Jesse ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:08:01 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199703141608.LAA27681@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> Subject: TMBG: MD shows The news about the two MD shows is great. I was wondering if Matt James or anyone else knows exactly how to obtain tickets for them. Ticketmaster, or what? Greg ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970314171800.00687848@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:18:00 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Bye bye With finals around the corner, I'm unsubscribing for a while. I'll be back after Spring Break on April Fool's Day (seriously). My objective during SB? Buy Then, love Then, and get as many TMBG singles as possible that I don't already have. Wish me luck! Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) Current Favorite TMBG song: Ondine ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970314183454.0069f01c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:34:54 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Edge show!! Ahoy, 'vryone, a very bruised, battered, and happy Wonder Nerd here. Last night was simply incredible!!!! Even though I was caught in the Mosh Pit From Hell. You see, The Edge is really a weensy place, but it was billed as a 1000 seat venue, and it sold out. Even before the show started, it was packed *extremely* tightly, and I had difficulty finding my friends. Fortunately I did, and we got great spots. (How close was I, you ask? Let me put it this way--Linnell has hazel eyes.) As in recent shows, Brian Dewan opened instead of the Chainsaw Kittens, and we were very happy. (Anyone get a set list from his act?) It's amazing the sounds he can coax out of that thing. The crowd was enthusiastic about him. Then, at about 10:15, the Giants took the stage! And the floor turned into the Mother of All Mosh Pits. If I'd lifted my legs, I would have remained suspended. But I couldn't lift my legs; there was no room! Likewise, I had difficulty applauding (a serious handicap during TMBG shows) because my arms were pinned to my body. They played a roughly 2-hour set, with two encores. It was an amazing show; just packed with energy, and the crowd (well, at least the part that was around me) was entirely TMBG fanatics. And the highlight of the night, for me, was at the end of the show, when I got Linnell's coffee cup! I am sooooOOOOOOooooo happy... it even has a bit of coffee left in it. Mebbe I'll build a little shrine around it or something. Oh--the setlist? Here it is, by order of album. (didn't get a set list... sorry... my amazing luck extends only so far.) Critic Intro Rhythm Section Want Ad Number 3 32 Footsteps Where Your Eyes Don't Go (I was NOT expecting this; it was marvelous.) Shoehorn With Teeth Birdhouse In Your Soul Particle Man Istanbul Twisting We're The Replacements Spy (with, as in recent shows, Brian Dewan on accordion) I Am Not Your Broom (Hooray!!!) No One Knows My Plan (the Johns said they really wanted us to conga, but unfortunately none of us could move independantly, let alone conga.) Guitar Dig My Grave Meet James Ensor (with a slight lyrics flub) SEXXY HCISLAG? TMHFO Exquisite Dead Guy (new heads, I guess.) New York City XTC v. AA Spiraling Shape (!) (Whoa... this was so amazing that no words exist to describe it.) James K. Polk (la la's) (with the Confetti Cannon. Linnell said that they had to fire it off; it was a contractual obligation. :) Pet Name I Can Hear You Older They Got Lost (was I the only person there who knew this one?) All in all, a great show! And I now have a Holy Relic of the Church of the Johns! --nicole the happy wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Skameleon@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:45:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314134533_-1807182796@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-73 i'm glad you liked my name . . . . now about that deal . . . . <> and i was wondering if a design has already been chosen . . . or if we are still voting?? thanks again kristen (~{*["Its not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend" -RBF]*}~) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:11:34 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703141911.LAA09376@f25.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Bye guys, see you on the 24th! Hiya listies! First off, i wanna thank you for your enthusiasic responses to my last post.(You know who you are.) Secondly, since my spring break starts tomorrow, I'm unsubscribing for a little bit. (I do not think i'll have time for sifting thru hundreds of messages.Besides, if anything important happens, i'll find out anyway. Right?) So, until next Monday, bye bye *sniff* I'll miss you guys.... Anastasia "there is no right or wrong" Hunt (who is getting to be more like Mike Leffel every day) Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "I've been leaving on my things, so in the morning when the morningbird sings there's still dinner on my dinner jacket till the dinner bell rings":)TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:11:10 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Message-ID: How on EARTH did you get his coffee cup?!?! Did he give it to you or did you just take it? I mean..I have one of Flans' picks from when he let me play his guitar but Linnell's coffeecup is soooooo much better. How much do you want for it? I built a shrine around the Sam Adams beer Flans gave me...but I have nothing from Linnell. :( Im sooo jealous :) Katie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:23:35 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703141923.LAA00655@f11.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens >(re: presidents) Actually, I think their music is more along the >lines of Mono Puff than TMBG. Must agree. (re: Sportscenter: the best show?) >Then you haven't watched Kids in the Hall or Conan! :D Once again, I agree. I watch Conan religiously if I'm home.:) > >>stuart scott is the bomb >'The bomb'. hrmmm... Being a bomb is a good thing? :) LOL!!! >>Well.... I hate to even bring this up, but could it possibly be >>that he got laid? I mean, yes marriage, yes all the rest, but >>would it be too much of a shock to anybody if Linny married >>as a virgin? >Hrm, I dunno how to comment on this one . Um... I don't want to say it, >but I'm sure he's already *done it* - at least with his gal (if not before he >met her)..... Ummm, well, there's only one way to find out and I'm not asking him when I eventually interview him. That sort of thing is *not* any of my concern. Ooogh.(File that under "I Just Don't Wanna Know") Where did this come from anyway? No, never mind- I don't want to be responsible for starting another embarrassing thread:P) I wonder if they will ever stumble across this post in the future. Gawd I hope not. Anastasia "Sex? John Linnell? AAAAAAGH!" Hunt > >sarah! :) >linnellgirl@tmbg.org >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html >mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 > Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "I've been leaving on my things, so in the morning when the morningbird sings there's still dinner on my dinner jacket till the dinner bell rings":)TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703141926.OAA14924@gamera.syr.edu> Subject: TMBG: Dada-esque Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:26:12 -0500 From: "\"\"Daniel J. Fawcett\"\"" To clear up some confusion: Dadaesque usually refers to that particular artistic movement of European avant-gardeists from the WWI period until the 1930's, when surrealism took over. Dada is not just poetry, but photography, painting, collage, and (most importantly) performance art. The point of Dada is an embrace of contradiction. The Dadaists believed that modern culture was sick, banal, and insipid. They believed society was insane, so they embraced unpredictability, insanity, and a healthy dose of humor as the only solution. They refused to take anything to seriously, including themselves. The most famous of the Dadaists was Michelle Duchamp, who did things like find a public urinal, scribble his name on it, then sell it for 50,000 dollars. Daniel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:37:19 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703141937.LAA25884@f6.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens >(re: presidents) Actually, I think their music is more along the >lines of Mono Puff than TMBG. Must agree. (re: Sportscenter: the best show?) >Then you haven't watched Kids in the Hall or Conan! :D Once again, I agree. I watch Conan religiously if I'm home.:) > >>stuart scott is the bomb >'The bomb'. hrmmm... Being a bomb is a good thing? :) LOL!!! >>Well.... I hate to even bring this up, but could it possibly be >>that he got laid? I mean, yes marriage, yes all the rest, but >>would it be too much of a shock to anybody if Linny married >>as a virgin? >Hrm, I dunno how to comment on this one . Um... I don't want to say it, >but I'm sure he's already *done it* - at least with his gal (if not before he >met her)..... Ummm, well, there's only one way to find out and I'm not asking him when I eventually interview him. That sort of thing is *not* any of my concern. Ooogh.(File that under "I Just Don't Wanna Know") Where did this come from anyway? No, never mind- I don't want to be responsible for starting another embarrassing thread:P) I wonder if they will ever stumble across this post in the future. Gawd I hope not. Anastasia "Sex? John Linnell? AAAAAAGH!" Hunt > >sarah! :) >linnellgirl@tmbg.org >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html >mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 > Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "I've been leaving on my things, so in the morning when the morningbird sings there's still dinner on my dinner jacket till the dinner bell rings":)TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:09:26 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Message-ID: I totally agree with Nicole about the mosh pit, it was pretty obnoxious. We were in the third row and eventually made our way to the right side, where things were a bit more tranquil. Next time it's steel toe boots, to protect my feet and inflict justice on anybody who deliberately tries to knock me and my girlfriend over. One mosher actually started screaming at me because my elbow was in the way. After a few seconds, I just started laughing real loud because I wasn't about to let him get me mad. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:25:37 -0600 (CST) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: TMBG: Palo Alto Review Message-ID: What must be said is that TMBG is just a great live show! I could be biased since it was my first TMBG concert, but particular spontaneity and the fact that the Johns were just having a lot of fun made it great. The Factory Showroom songs they played sounded better for the most part live, since you could see what idea they were trying to get across. Flansburgh did a lot more of the singing than I thought, was the more "well dressed" of the two, and was a bit wilder...more the spokesperson as well. The show was sold out, which was good since they couldn't really pack any more people in there. They had a confetti cannon which Linnell went on to say was tacky, but their manager said to have one...so they did. They seemed honest, worked hard, and didn't take many breaks...were out for about 2 hours....no Spin the Dial, Ana Ng, Don't Let's Start, but they have so many songs, you can't blame them. My 2 cents, Bryan *-*-*-*-*-*-*-* MAIL: Bryan S. Shelton, Grad. Res. Asst. Phone: (512) 471-0969 - Microelectronics Research Center FAX: (512) 471-8575 _| ~-. The University of Texas at Austin bsshelton@mail.utexas.edu \, *_} MER 1.608G-R9900 http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~shelton \( Austin, Texas 78712-1100 USA talk shelton@brando.ece.utexas.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 16:55 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! >And the highlight of the night, for me, was at the end of the show, when I >got Linnell's coffee cup! So, is it a styrofoam cup, or a *real* cup? Details, sister! Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:06:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314170557_-1003196533@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Flan's guitar pic?! Linnell's coffee cup?! Haha!!! I have Flan's towel !!!! }:-}) Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:07:54 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: B-52's, Presidents, Sportscenter, dickens Message-ID: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > >>Well.... I hate to even bring this up, but could it possibly be > >>that he got laid? I mean, yes marriage, yes all the rest, but > >>would it be too much of a shock to anybody if Linny married > >>as a virgin? > Ooogh.(File that under "I Just Don't Wanna Know") Where did this come from > anyway? No, never mind- I don't want to be responsible for starting another > embarrassing thread:P) > This came from the sick & twisted mind of Elitza. She's very odd in some respects and is occasionally way deficient on the tact-o-meter (silly, stupid pun- tachometer- tact-o-meter ha ha ha). However, she's just been put into a freezer bay lined with a mixture of books and dirty laundry, making for a pleasntly smelly atmosphere (her room in Lansing MI), so she should be recovering nicely after a day of ice-storm-related school absence. :D > I wonder if they will ever stumble across this post in the future. Gawd I hope > not. Why? It's very.... ah... meaningful. > Anastasia "Sex? John Linnell? AAAAAAGH!" Hunt > > Why this? Just wondering- don't you think he's cuter than the average TMBG singer? ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Edge show!! Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:24:51 -0800 >---------- >From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu[SMTP:kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu] >Sent: Friday, March 14, 1997 1:55 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! > >>And the highlight of the night, for me, was at the end of the show, when I >>got Linnell's coffee cup! > > So, is it a styrofoam cup, or a *real* cup? Details, sister! > >Kirsten Why, paper, of course! (: (reference to one of the interviews with them just after Flood came out, by someone they invited up to their place for french toast while she interviewed them for a magazine.) Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970314223752.006b8b44@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:37:52 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! At 02:11 PM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote: >How on EARTH did you get his coffee cup?!?! Did he give it to you or did >you just take it? I mean..I have one of Flans' picks from when he let me >play his guitar but Linnell's coffeecup is soooooo much better. How much >do you want for it? I built a shrine around the Sam Adams beer Flans gave >me...but I have nothing from Linnell. :( Im sooo jealous :) I aquired my Sacred Relic of Linnell by the simple expedient of a) balancing myself on the lower rung of the fence separatng the stage from the crowd, and b) repeatedly yelling "CAN I HAVE LINNELL'S COFFEE CUP???" Mebbe the bouncer thought this was an odd request (everyone else was clamoring for setlists, even though they must have known that they were all gone); he just shrugged and handed it to me. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3329869D.12E5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:10:53 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Dummies vs. Giants Hi people, It's interesting that the Dummies were my favorite group before The Giants reared their intelligent heads into my CD collection. Interestingly enough, Brad Roberts (lead singer/songwriter of the Dummies) idolizes Andy Partridge of XTC. XTC and the Dummies often sound very similar (except for the voice, of course). My dad still refers to Brad Roberts as "old cut throat," though. Oh well. Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3329879B.3C19@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:15:07 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Xenia Hi again, Is the line "She was out of Xenia" in Out of Jail about Xenia, Ohio? Is that where Flans' college was?? Is there a story about this song that I don't know or that somone wants to cleverly make up? Have a Lik-a-mid day, Bill from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:18:20 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Message-ID: Thats so excellent....Ill have to keep this in mind for the 5th. :) Any of you kids going...watch out! Im on a mission! Katie On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > At 02:11 PM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote: > >How on EARTH did you get his coffee cup?!?! Did he give it to you or did > >you just take it? I mean..I have one of Flans' picks from when he let me > >play his guitar but Linnell's coffeecup is soooooo much better. How much > >do you want for it? I built a shrine around the Sam Adams beer Flans gave > >me...but I have nothing from Linnell. :( Im sooo jealous :) > > I aquired my Sacred Relic of Linnell by the simple expedient of > a) balancing myself on the lower rung of the fence separatng the stage from > the crowd, and > b) repeatedly yelling "CAN I HAVE LINNELL'S COFFEE CUP???" > > Mebbe the bouncer thought this was an odd request (everyone else was > clamoring for setlists, even though they must have known that they were all > gone); he just shrugged and handed it to me. > > --nicole the wonder nerd > *** > "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly > all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org > > ------------------------------ From: JulyG@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:31:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314183143_720673123@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG- concerts When i saw them in september they didn't have any cool props like a bubble machine or cannon. They also didn't ask us to form a CONGA line. It might have been cause it was a really small joint For the person who asked about the set up - when i saw them they were always set up Flans to the left linnel in the middle every body else behind. THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! i want them to come to Philly again!!!!!!! Mighty Mighty Bosstones next Saturday!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970314185751.007ec9c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:57:51 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff When I went to (my first) concert in December (Columbus OH) the setup was Brian <------ Eric ------> Graham Flans Linnell The only props they had were the Puppet Heads, and they didn't play anything out of the ordinary (read: extra-cool), but they still were Totally Rockin' To add to this disscussion about the B52s ----> If They were to do a "serious" album, I'd assume that's what They were trying with John Henry.... Like, "here you go Alternative-Kid, this sounds like music you listen to... It's COOL, Trust Me. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" Anyhow.... The problem is most people haven't heard John Henry, but Flood instead. Maybe if they would do a "Normal" album on their new label (after contract with Elektra is up -- and if they've got any brains at all they will find a new label) and Publicize It To DEATH, then people would take them more seriously than just "hey it's that band from Tiny Toons, they're SO funny!" -ec Now Playing: BFF Whatever And Ever Amen in Real Audio ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 19:14:22 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Message-ID: On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > To add to this disscussion about the B52s ----> If They were to do a > "serious" album, I'd assume that's what They were trying with John > Henry.... Like, "here you go Alternative-Kid, this sounds like music you > listen to... It's COOL, Trust Me. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" > > Anyhow.... The problem is most people haven't heard John Henry, but Flood > instead. On the whole, I guess I feel kind of like a lot people -- that John Henry was musically (if not lyrically) inferior to the other albums (including Factory Showroom). I'm a big fan of the John + John + Drum Machine days, although I do like Brian. No, he's no Neil Peart, but then again who is besides, well, Neil Peart. My only point really is, I don't think a whole lot of die-hard TMBG fans really *want* another album like John Henry, certainly no one I know does. Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sex is like air -- it doesn't matter unless you're not getting any. 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:14:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970314211400_-1371827669@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff pschwan@apk.net wrote: >I don't think a whole lot of die-hard TMBG fans really *want* another album like John Henry, certainly no one I know does. I agree, I do like John Henry a lot, the more I listen to it the more it grows on me, but I see it as something different than their other albums, I wish they would do another album like Apollo 18. TmbgManiac http://members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:20:05 -0800 >---------- >From: Phil Schwan[SMTP:pschwan@apk.net] >Sent: Friday, March 14, 1997 4:14 PM >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff > >On the whole, I guess I feel kind of like a lot people -- that John Henry >was musically (if not lyrically) inferior to the other albums (including >Factory Showroom). I'm a big fan of the John + John + Drum Machine days, >although I do like Brian. No, he's no Neil Peart, but then again who is >besides, well, Neil Peart. My only point really is, I don't think a whole >lot of die-hard TMBG fans really *want* another album like John Henry, >certainly no one I know does. Hmm.. This is interesting, because I rank John Henry as the third best album, closely following Lincoln and their self-titled album. I'd rank Factory Showroom as probably last, full album-wise. *shrug* Maybe it's just me. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:20:45 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Alternative" Till My Head Falls Off interpretation Message-ID: Right on, brother. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: > No. > > <*}}}>< > Dan E. Boy > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:47:24 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: RE: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff Message-ID: Id agree with JH being 3rd best but I don't know...maybe its just me...but I don't find the pink album very likeable. I mean I love Shes an Angel..and ERIWA....but the rest is "eh". What does this mean? Am I not a true fan....do I pale in comparison to the rest of you? :( or maybe it just means I have my own opinion. *smacks herself* I need therapy. Katie On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >---------- > >From: Phil Schwan[SMTP:pschwan@apk.net] > >Sent: Friday, March 14, 1997 4:14 PM > >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff > > > >On the whole, I guess I feel kind of like a lot people -- that John Henry > >was musically (if not lyrically) inferior to the other albums (including > >Factory Showroom). I'm a big fan of the John + John + Drum Machine days, > >although I do like Brian. No, he's no Neil Peart, but then again who is > >besides, well, Neil Peart. My only point really is, I don't think a whole > >lot of die-hard TMBG fans really *want* another album like John Henry, > >certainly no one I know does. > > Hmm.. This is interesting, because I rank John Henry as the third best > album, closely following Lincoln and their self-titled album. I'd rank > Factory > Showroom as probably last, full album-wise. *shrug* Maybe it's just > me. > > > Jesse > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970314231954.007e4d20@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:19:54 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup / Props / Neat Stuff I like John Henry, mainly because of the different sound. It's more of a live band thing, which is different and none of the other albums really have that. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 15 Mar 97 00:37 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Okay, I know the whole "which album is better" thing has been done to death, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on something. Somebody, I forget who, mentioned that they'd rather see another album like Apollo 18 than another John Henry. I mulled this over in my brain for a while, and found something interesting. As an album, John Henry just doesn't grab me. However, if I actually go through and list the individual songs, I discover that I love all of them (perhaps with the exception of "Unrelated Thing" - that one gets on my nerves sometimes). Maybe it's the length of the album, or something in the order of the songs, that prevents it from being a favorite, I dunno. Apollo 18, on the other hand, I prefer as a full album, listened to all at once. There seems to be more of a flow between the songs, and they work together better as an album than they do individually. A18 is almost a "concept album" to me. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 00:56:37 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Message-ID: On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > As an album, John Henry just doesn't > grab me. However, if I actually go through and list the individual songs, > I discover that I love all of them (perhaps with the exception of > "Unrelated Thing" - that one gets on my nerves sometimes). Maybe it's the > length of the album, or something in the order of the songs, that prevents > it from being a favorite, I dunno. > Apollo 18, on the other hand, I prefer as a full album, listened > to all at once. There seems to be more of a flow between the songs, and > they work together better as an album than they do individually. A18 is > almost a "concept album" to me. I agree 100%. Apollo 18 was the first TMBG I'd ever heard and it's definately best listened to straight through, despite the CDs interesting number of tracks which makes it neat to hit shuffle on. I'm just not so sure I like the "big band" They. I really did prefer the early They when it was two guys in an apartment with a drum machine eating cheerios and making songs. Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sex is like air -- it doesn't matter unless you're not getting any. 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-74 *****************************