Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-75 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 75 Sunday, 16 March 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 TMBG: Cool Giants Show memorabilia!! TMBG: Stage Setup Re: TMBG: Stage Setup TMBG: Conga lines, Stage Setup, Props Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Re: TMBG: Conga lines, Stage Setup, Props TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH TMBG: chicago shows... TMBG: Does anyone ever notice Re: TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH TMBG: Greek #3 Lyrics sorta TMBG: dada, guest lists, Dewan, Comedy Central TMBG: She's a skanker, blood removal while you wait, Less than Jake TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, Re: TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH Re: TMBG: Stage Setup TMBG: State Songs Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: Dada-esque Re: TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Re: TMBG: Edge show!! TMBG: double TMBG TMBG: matthew james TMBG: Urine Man TMBG:Viva Variety Flans pic TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG:Viva Variety Flans pic TMBG: Dewan, souveniers, linnell, albums Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:12:34 -0500 (EST) From: Dan McNevin Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Message-ID: > I agree 100%. Apollo 18 was the first TMBG I'd ever heard and it's > definately best listened to straight through, despite the CDs interesting > number of tracks which makes it neat to hit shuffle on. i guess i agree 1/100%, or whatever, the point is, i think just the oppisite, i think JH flows really nicely, and apollo 18 is better for individual songs... but, i guess i'm an odd they fan seeing as JH is propbably my favourite, and everone else's seems to be lincoln or self-titled, pink, big blue dog.. dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332A81EC.4BE0@baka.com> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:03:08 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 > it from being a favorite, I dunno. > Apollo 18, on the other hand, I prefer as a full album, listened > to all at once. There seems to be more of a flow between the songs, and > they work together better as an album than they do individually. A18 is > almost a "concept album" to me. I think I like JH and apollo 18 about equally, depending on my mood. I tend to listen to JH less because I have it on tape, but whenever I do, I like it. I think the full-band "mature" sound works quite well, and the album has more "quite good" songs than a lot of albums, though very few "really good" songs. But I think both albums are both kind of "recurring theme" albums, if not concept albums on the level of The Wall or Sergeant Pepper. JH is obvious, with an anti-technology message all through the album, from the name to songs like thermostat, destination moon, and the recurring theme of the car accident in a whole bunch of songs(thermostat, end of the tour, sleeping in the flowers, AKA driver(well, no accident, but cars)). It is also against modern society with songs like unrelated thing and I should be allowed to think. A18's theme is more exploration and discovery, which also fits with the names. Scientific discovery in mammal and dinner bell, self discovery in if I wasn't shy, see the constellation, and my evil twin. These theories might be wacked up, and I know there are songs on both albums which don't fit the themes, but tell me what you think. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332ABB5D.71F8@trib.infi.net> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:08:13 -0500 From: Boba Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Cool Giants Show memorabilia!! Dan E Boy Wrote: > Flan's guitar pic?! Linnell's coffee cup?! Haha!!! I have Flan's towel!!!! How's about A Flans I am Not Your Broom Lyric Sheet (Complete with teeth marks!!) Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org Boba's Page: http://boba.home.ml.org The Wendy Page: http://wendyweb.base.org We Might Be Giants, Too: http://tmbg.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-id: <3096845@hanover.VALLEY.NET> Date: 15 Mar 97 10:24:23 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Stage Setup Well, seeing as this thread has turned into a disscussion of akbums rather than stage setup, I'll give my opinion on both matters. 1. I think that Flans is permanently on Linny's right. There were a few rare occasions when they performed with Linny to our left. The 120 minutes with Dave Kendall is one of these, and I think when they play I palindrome I on Letterman Linny's on our left. 2. Not that I want another story thread, or a thread about how listening to albums in a certain order makes you like them better, but I think I may have the oddest of stories. I first heard the albums in this order. 1. Flood 2. Misc T 3. Apollo 18 4. Lincoln 5. John Henry 6. Pink album 7. Factory Showroom And my order of preferance is: 1. Lincoln 2. John Henry 3. Pink Album 4. Flood 5. Misc T 6. Factory Showroom 7. Apollo 18 Many people would disagree with this and slaughter me for putting a18 at the bottom. But I only like some of it. Lincoln is a classic, I love the sound of JH, The pink album is easy to listen to, and I think it flows the best. I love flood because of All of the second half of songs, I think Hearing aid is totally unapreciated. Misc T is a great album of songs like It's not my birthday and for science. Plus... I have a copy of it that was taped by someone who had Misc. T in their 6-cd changer with some other stuff, so when DLS is over, some guy yells "Right now it's time to, KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKER!" FS used to be my 2nd favorite, but It doesn't have enough songs, and so listening to it to much gives little variety. And last, Apollo 18, which I like most of the songs, but not much. Well I hope you enjoyed that, but I doubt you did. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970315155023.0067b36c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:50:23 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup At 10:24 AM 3/15/97 EST, you wrote: >Plus... I have a copy of it that was taped by someone >who had Misc. T in their 6-cd changer with some other stuff, so when DLS is >over, some guy yells "Right now it's time to, KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKER!" >FS used to be my 2nd favorite, but It doesn't have enough songs, and so >listening to it to much gives little variety. And last, Apollo 18, which I like >most of the songs, but not much. Here's something that's only slightly TMBG related, but anyway... I bought a copy of the Rubaiyat sampler from someone a few weeks ago to get a copy of 'One More Parade' on CD. The last track on the sampler is called 'TV Eye', and if you've never heard it...well, you're missing out. Anyway, I also have a roommate that has a tendency to leave his desk lamp on when I'm trying to sleep (and this lamp is brighter than some small suns), so I found a fun way to get him to stop---crank up the volume on my CD player and put TV Eye on auto repeat. :> BTW, I like FS a lot, but some of the songs are just too long. Don't get me wrong...I love Spiralling Shape...but over 4 minutes long? TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:09:37 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <332AC9C1.7315@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Conga lines, Stage Setup, Props Okay let me say that at the first They show I went to at Worcester Polytechnic Institue (4-20(?)-93) we conga'd like crazy...I could've sworn that the whole place was in it...maybe not the balcony... also at this show...since it was my first show, I didn't try to remember who the players were, but Flans was on Linnell's right and there was a guitarist between them...they seemed like they were miles apart now (after seeing Them recently)...and they had a drummer...maybe somebody knows who played with them on the '93 tour, if you do, let me know... the props...well let's face it, they may or may not be there to make up for missing band members...but there's no denying that they're toys! and they're fun! later-hosen Whim [currently listening to: Dollar Signs in Her Eyes.Dead Milkmen] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970315122614.007e9100@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:26:14 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 >>>(both) albums are both kind of "recurring theme" albums, if not concept albums on the level of The Wall or Sergeant Pepper. These theories might be wacked up, and I know there are songs on both albums which don't fit the themes, but tell me what you think.<<< I agree with both A18 and JH being "recurring theme" albums. On www.tmbg.org somewhere (is it still there?) there was an interp about Flood beign about Religion. I agree with that somewhat, but it seems odd that a band would put that much thought into song meanings and album titles. And then there's the first album, who wants to try drawing some deep meaning from THAT. And Factory Showroom doesn't seem to have many recurring themes, although maybe if we think about it for a few years we can think up some parrallels between songs (Time is marching on). And did anyone ever come up with a good interp for Metal Detector ("Hey guys, look beneath the surface! We're not cool, we're still the two guys and a drum machine! Really!") anyhow... -ec ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:47:06 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Conga lines, Stage Setup, Props Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Mar-97 TMBG: Conga lines, Stage Se.. by Whim@mindless.com > Okay let me say that at the first They show I went to at Worcester > Polytechnic Institue (4-20(?)-93) we conga'd like crazy...I could've > sworn that the whole place was in it...maybe not the balcony... > > also at this show...since it was my first show, I didn't try to remember > who the players were, but Flans was on Linnell's right and there was a > guitarist between them...they seemed like they were miles apart now > (after seeing Them recently)...and they had a drummer...maybe somebody > knows who played with them on the '93 tour, if you do, let me know... April of 1993 would have had Brian Doherty on drums, most likely. I'm not exactly sure when Feinberg left... they had Tony Maimone on bass, and Kurt Hoffman on keyboard/clarinet/sax. They may have also added someone playing trumpet and trombone as well. Spring/summer 1993 was the largest band configuration they ever toured with - it allowed them to play things like Everything is Catching on Fire and Jessica... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970315204138.006ceec8@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:41:38 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Edge show!! >>And the highlight of the night, for me, was at the end of the show, when I >>got Linnell's coffee cup! > > So, is it a styrofoam cup, or a *real* cup? Details, sister! It's a paper cup, with a plastic cap on it, such as one you'd get from Starbucks or whatever. It's plain white and rather large--our lad was thirsty. :) >Flan's guitar pic?! Linnell's coffee cup?! Haha!!! I have Flan's towel >!!!! Oh, was that you that yelled "Can I have Flansburg's sweaty towel?" Cool... I'm glad you got it. >Is the line "She was out of Xenia" in Out of Jail about Xenia, Ohio? Prolly. >Is that where Flans' college was?? Yes. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH Message-ID: <19970315.141008.19966.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 16:11:22 EST has anyone ever ordered anything off of the official website?? anyone care to enlighten me on how long it takes them to ship the stuff out?? thanks! on another note... i think John Henry was a good album even if it is different than the others... i think the whole variety thing in Their music is good and well that my 2 cents for the day Anyone going ot the KU show that has details on any other bands going pleeeease e-mail me!!! my friends and i are driving up and since we are all seriously broke need aplace ot stay so if any of you super-kewlio people want to help us out so we don't have to sleep in the car.... No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 16:41:07 -0500 (EST) From: Dan McNevin Subject: TMBG: chicago shows... Message-ID: did anyone else get tickets to this/these shows? got mine this afternoon at 12, if anyone has difficulty getting a ride i wouldn't mind giving you one, as long as you don't live too far, cause i don't get off work until 5 on both days, and the show starts at 7.. anyway, if you need a ride or anyhting email me, danlin@underworld.net... dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970315220026.008e4d18@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:00:26 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Does anyone ever notice Does anyone ever notice when things are wrong at www.tmbg.org? I just noticed several glaring errors that no one has reported. Please let us know when you see something wrong with the site, we will fix it...eventually. In other news I just cleaned out a whole lot of old mail fixing a lot of little problems, updating aliases, and getting some new chords/interps and corrections in the works. Hopefully some of them will start appearing soon. Remember, we are here for you and need your input. -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:01:13 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH Message-ID: On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, I have no Name wrote: > has anyone ever ordered anything off of the official website?? anyone > care to enlighten me on how long it takes them to ship the stuff out?? > thanks! I haven't ordered off the web site, but I did use the same ordering form to order stuff when they were doing their merchandising from the newsletter, and it took forever, about three months. I think it was prbably because I ordered ALL the EP's. (what can I say, I LOVE TMBG!) Anyhow, don't expect 6-8 weeks to mean 6-8 weeks, it will probably tak elonger, depending on what you order. > JODA Marc Schaub schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703152215.RAA13628@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Greek #3 Lyrics Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:15:21 -0500 (EST) Those of you curious about the Greek #3 lyrics might want to look at www.tmbg.org now, the lyrics are up along with a translation back to english. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:12:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970315181227_-1472283474@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: sorta TMBG: dada, guest lists, Dewan, Comedy Central ok.. i know i *rarely* post here but i was reading the last digest just cuz im bored and just finished the SATs =p dada- i could tell you waaaaaaay too much about this as it was my history paper a few months ago.. it was an "anti-art" movement started in zurich, switzerland during the ww2 thingy. yes, its the "absurdism" thing with the bike wheel on the stools... i think theres an exhibition still at the MoMa but i cant remember. one of the pictures was just this painting on cracked glass titled-"to be looked at from the other side of the glass with one eye closed for about an hour" i thought that was cool. and check out Tom Stoppards Travesties for a better justification.. unh, TMBG? i've seen several reviews compare THem to dada... dewan- is reminding me of my grandfather who is also a zitherist/master carpenter. however, he's 95 (my grandfather, not dewan who i think is 32)... i'll ask mr D about his furniture when i talk to him about HELP with my english paper ("monsters, horror and the macabre- folklore") and i cant quite tell if u were looking for tmbg connections but i think he also does a few fingertips.. cant remember which.. guest lists- well, being on the guest list at some clubs doesnt necessarily mean you get to go backstage, it just means you get in free. its the VIP list you gotta shoot for.. and then theres always photo passes... and everyone watching comedy central- see a 2 second preview TMBG's preformance on viva variety during that commercial they seem to be airing non-stop.. yes, thats mr flansburgh in the swank suit! =) and mr mike viola! ok, i'll slink back to the shadows now... ~liz counterfit fake productions ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332B4D2E.71C7@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:30:22 -0800 From: Fetche le Mosh Organization: Sweaty Flannel Int'l Corp Subject: TMBG: She's a skanker, blood removal while you wait, Less than Jake My friend Peter just sent me a ska mix tape including the cover of She's An Angel by the Bruce Lee band. It's quite sped up and naturally more raucous, but not all that great. Still, it's ultra-keen to see bands pay tribute to the pop gods that are They. Non-TmBg follow ups: Why didn't anyone here tell me that hydrogen peroxide gets blood out of t-shirts? Where's the love on this list? Jeez. Just saw Less Than Jake in a free concert today. If anyone else is familiar with this band/has seen them, is there usually so much nudity involved in their shows? Later, eh, 'zeus ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332B3836.4F2F@mixcom.com> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:00:55 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, I would just like to invite everyone to visit my website now that it's completely done and send me any comments or suggestions. It's located at: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ and just so this is relevant to the list: My only TMBG liking friend is moving to Seattle this Summer, and now I'll have NO ONE! -- Merendino Cortese Merendino@thepentagon.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:24:55 -0600 (CST) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: Official website, KU show, JH Message-Id: On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, I have no Name wrote: > Anyone going ot the KU show that has details on any other bands going > pleeeease e-mail me!!! s they haven't released an official list of bands for the day...as a matter of fact, the Farmer's Ball (which selects locals to play) isn't til next weekend (i believe)...i'll keep ya up to speed with what's shakin' as soon as they release it...our Spring Break is next week, and i'm sure it won't be until after then... jillian woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu *remember, in canada, the _can_ is more important than the _da_* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 15 Mar 97 19:29 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup >And my order of preferance is: > >1. Lincoln >2. John Henry >3. Pink Album >4. Flood >5. Misc T >6. Factory Showroom >7. Apollo 18 Y'know, I don't think I could really pick a favorite album. Well, I could, but it would change every day... I think my current order of preference is FS, JH, Lincoln, A18, Pink, Msc. T, Flood. I think I need to get Flood on cd one of these days, because part of the reason it's on the bottom is that all I have is a cassette tape that's on the brink of being worn out. Let's just say that the "Theme from Flood" is starting to get a bit tremulous-sounding these days, as are the beginning notes of "Birdhouse." Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:01:43 -0700 (MST) Message-Id: <199703160101.SAA22370@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: TMBG: State Songs Can anyone help me? I'm trying to find how to get a copy of State Songs. Are any copies sold in record stores, or will I have to contact Them directly? Can I get it through Hello Cd? If so, which year, because it isn't listed at tmbg.com at all. Thanx Dave Simpson ...but in a way aren't we *Al.. no, just kidding! Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:19:44 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! >> So, is it a styrofoam cup, or a *real* cup? Details, sister! > >It's a paper cup, with a plastic cap on it, such as one you'd get from >Starbucks or whatever. It's plain white and rather large--our lad was >thirsty. :) They probably purchased it at Printers' Ink, the bookstore/coffee shop up the street, where (trying to tie threads together) Michael Moore spoke a few months ago during his book tour. Other Edge notes: They had a decorative backdrop. It consisted of square panels in two or three sizes, say 6 to 12 inches, strung together from ceiling to stage floor with monofilament, in several vertical columns. On the panels were images of Pearl, the TMBG logo and aluminum foil. No home is complete without one, I say. Was this used on any of the other tour dates? Brian Dewan (accent on the second syllable) plays not only the zither but the autoharp. His songs were clever, but simple in structure, like kid's songs e.g., Rumpelstilskin. He also produced some really odd sounds on the accordian during Spy. Graham was playing a five-string bass, my friend said (I didn't notice). The extra low string really made things shake, almost knocking the wind out of our lungs, flapping our pants legs. Flansburgh really belted it out during some of the songs, it was nice to see. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:20:30 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Dada-esque >They refused to take anything to seriously, including themselves. The most >famous of the Dadaists was Michelle Duchamp, who did things like find a public Uh, that would be Marcel. I have recreated one of his pieces online at http://www.pinknoiz.com/soteric/montgolfier.html It's a 600 Kb animated gif. I started the projected because it reminded me of Spiraling Shape. The dada/surrealist nexis gave rise to the Exquisite Corpse experiments that They mention in one interview. Another Dada piece that some may be familiar with is "I Zimbra" which Talking Heads and Eno recorded, using a dada poem and afro/funk backup. -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The Goddess" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 18:53:51 PST Jesse & Lani.... LOOK! Someone else to join the clan! Michelle :) | and just so this is relevant to the list: My only TMBG liking friend is | moving to Seattle this Summer, and now I'll have NO ONE! | -- | Merendino Cortese | Merendino@thepentagon.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ | 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week | --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- | ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The Goddess" Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 18:58:52 PST My take on the albums is this: Why Does the Sun Shine? EP and John Henry are for when I'm home and wanting to listen to TMBG (both on CD) Lincoln is for when I'm in need of a quick fix in the car. Flood and The Pink Album are for when I need a major dose of TMBG in the car (both dubbed on the same tape) Apollo 18 is for when I'm in a They-Might-Be-Giants-esque mood (b/c I only have a few of the songs dubbed in the empty space of Ed's Redeeming Qualities) Factory Showroom is currently a home-release, but soon moving to tape, and will be opposite The Cure, so will probably be one I never think of until I'm listening to it. Just my .02+ Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "The Goddess" Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 18:55:19 PST ---------- | >>And the highlight of the night, for me, was at the end of the show, when I | >>got Linnell's coffee cup! | > | > So, is it a styrofoam cup, or a *real* cup? Details, sister! | | It's a paper cup, with a plastic cap on it, such as one you'd get from | Starbucks or whatever. It's plain white and rather large--our lad was | thirsty. :) | The correct term is "from the place whose name we shall not mention", according to Mr. Flansburgh. Then again, when he brought coffee to the show from the place we shall not mention (to support the oppressed workers), he was environmentally correct and brought it in a glass mug. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9703160224.AA24289@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: double TMBG Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 21:24:28 -0500 (EST) Hey, I was in Abercrombie & Fitch today looking at jackets when what do I hear in their mix of music but Istanbul (not Constantinope). That was pretty nifty. Early in the day I was driving down I-95 and was listening to WHFS 99.1 and it's official. I heard: IMP Presents They Might Be Giants at Bohager's in Baltimore on April 19. Also, I believe the Squirrel Nut Zippers are playing there on 4/2. So Balmer seems to be finally circumventing DC this time around, since we ahve 2 back to back shows whooo! Matt -- upcoming concerts: James-Royal Court Theater, Liverpool, England, 3/27 TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332B7766.39BC@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:30:30 -0800 From: Fetche le Mosh Organization: Sweaty Flannel Int'l Corp Subject: TMBG: matthew james This question is to you or others on the list who know. Your sig: >Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) Wha'z the ARM? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 01:07:35 UT From: "William Blacksher" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Urine Man I got the thing about Weep Day and Urine Man. I never heard the part about him until I listened to it just now. It sounds like They are saying "Weep day for (something I can't tell) and Urine Man. I really think They made a serious error in not releasing it earlier. I also love Nixon's The One. Can anyone convert Subliminal to a .wav file or tell me how to? I really want to play it backward. -Laura the Left-Handed Geek (Go Flansy-The-Lefty!) ONLY 13 MORE DAYS UNTIL THEN: THE EARLY YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:03:35 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970315220335_-1706373663@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:Viva Variety Flans pic At the Viva Variety website, at http://www.vivavariety.com at the pictures, i am pretty sure there is one of Flans, it is a distant shot,but i know its him. Check it out. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970315221150.007c1cc0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:11:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Linnell Hey, this message is for those of you on the verge of suicide, or REALLY desperate for money, or just plain stupid: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Sell Me your State Songs and/or House Of Mayors CDs. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! PS- Or, make me a tape of both of them... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:37:57 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG:Viva Variety Flans pic >At the Viva Variety website, at >http://www.vivavariety.com >at the pictures, i am pretty sure there is one of Flans, it is a distant >shot,but i know its him. Check it out. That's not Flans, it's the Mighty Mighty Bosstones if I'm looking at the same pictures. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:57:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970315235739_-801923144@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Dewan, souveniers, linnell, albums >By the way, with all the Brian Dewan talk lately, I wondered >if anyone noticed that Brian Dewan pops up on MTV basically >every other day. You see, between 2 and 3pm they run a >sample hour of "M2" their "sister" station which is devoted to >nonstop videos A HA! :D After only having heard desciptions about him and the instrument, I guessed it was him, but I was greeted by a certain individual (Ahem.. *Jordan*) "WHAT? THAT IS NOT BRIAN DEWAN!" (etc, etc). I thought it was so! :D I've noticed they seem to play the same ones at the same time (I *think*) and Dewan's pops up around 2:45. >Flan's guitar pic?! Linnell's coffee cup?! Haha!!! I have Flan's >towel !!!! Man o nam... And I thought having drumsticks, schedule, autographs, and setlists was the best.... ;) I have a new goal on the horizon... >> Anastasia "Sex? John Linnell? AAAAAAGH!" Hunt >> > >Why this? Just wondering- don't you think he's cuter than the >average TMBG singer? {{answering on behalf of Saint Ana the Suave}} If you're like me, and I know I am , you probably think that 'cause -- well, in that silly little crush world, you have a crush on someone, you don't want to think of them as having sex with *anyone*; you make them as perfect as you most possibly can in your head. >Hmm.. This is interesting, because I rank John Henry as the >third best album, closely following Lincoln and their >self-titled album. I'd rank Factory Showroom as probably >last, full album-wise. *shrug* Maybe it's just me. Not just you! Me also! Exactly! :) If I had to rank them (as of now; A18 was my absolute fave a few months ago): self titled, Lincoln, John Henry, Apollo 18, Misc. T, Flood, Factory Showroom. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-75 *****************************