Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-76 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 76 Monday, 17 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Re: TMBG: Stage Setup TMBG: Play that Birdhouse song! TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO Re: TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO Re: TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, TMBG: Other Edge show notes Re: TMBG: Other Edge show notes TMBG: Hair Re: TMBG: Hair Re: TMBG: Hair TMBG: Decorative Backdrops Re: TMBG: She's a skanker, blood removal while you wait, Less than Jake Re: TMBG: Edge show!! Re: TMBG: double TMBG/A & F Re: TMBG: basses TMBG: Picture of Flans Re: TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO TMBG: Re: Decorative Backdrops TMBG: gripe of the day Re: TMBG: Hair Re: TMBG: gripe of the day Re: TMBG: Picture of Flans Re: TMBG: Hair Re: TMBG: gripe of the day TMBG: TMBG on MTV.COM (none) TMBG: TMBG Collector Needs Help! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 03:15:01 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199703160815.DAA23788@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 15:36:35 -0800 From: Chess Piece Face Subject: Re: TMBG: JH vs. A18 Message-id: <332B3282.E2E@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> Organization: TMBG Maniacs Anonymus > 2. Not that I want another story thread, or a thread about how listening to > albums in a certain order makes you like them better, but I think I may have > the oddest of stories. I first heard the albums in this order. > > 1. Flood > 2. Misc T > 3. Apollo 18 > 4. Lincoln > 5. John Henry > 6. Pink album > 7. Factory Showroom > > And my order of preferance is: > > 1. Lincoln > 2. John Henry > 3. Pink Album > 4. Flood > 5. Misc T > 6. Factory Showroom > 7. Apollo 18 > I first heard the albums in this order: 1.Pink Album 2.Flood 3.Apollo 18 4.Lincoln 5.Misc T 6.John Henry 7.Factory Showroom I'd have to say my faves are: 1.Pink Album 2.Factroy Showroom (love New York City!) 3.Flood 4.Lincoln/John Henry 5.Apollo 18/Misc T I could never say I had a least fav album, though. I like Misc T and Apollo they both have some really good songs on them. But there's also a couple of songs that I don't like. > > I agree with both A18 and JH being "recurring theme" albums. On www.tmbg.org somewhere (is it > still there?) there was an interp about Flood beign about Religion. I agree with that somewhat, > but it seems odd that a band would put that much thought into song meanings and album titles. > I'm not don't really try to find anymeaning in their songs anymore. At my very first show They said that they didn't really care for songs with a deep meaning to them or bands that wrote songs like that. And that's why They don't think their songs really have any meaning. But that we were allowed to interpret as we liked. > Y'know, I don't think I could really pick a favorite > album. Well, I could, but it would change every day... I think my > current order of preference is FS, JH, Lincoln, A18, Pink, Msc. T, Flood. > I think I need to get Flood on cd one of these days, because part of the > reason it's on the bottom is that all I have is a cassette tape that's on > the brink of being worn out. Let's just say that the "Theme from Flood" > is starting to get a bit tremulous-sounding these days, as are the > beginning notes of "Birdhouse." Hey don't worry. I only have it on tape too. But unfortunately I CAN'T FIND MY FLOOD TAPE!!!!! So everyone hope that I find it soon before I lose my sanity. Cuz I have the tape case and not the tape. Fortunately I can borrow it off of other people, even though they are people that only like them for the fact that they think the songs are funny. Oh well no ones perfect. I MISS BIRDHOUSE! Oh yes if anyone has any really neat stuff to put on a web page (TMBG related) please mail it to me. I need more stuff. It'll be on my Geocities page, in a week or so. -- => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => Brian Mellem, wishing you a very They day!! Visit my web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ It isn't much yet. A Geocities page is coming soon too. Egad a base tone denotes a bad age.-TMBG "I'm your only friend. I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend....."-TMBG <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:26:38 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup Message-ID: > Y'know, I don't think I could really pick a favorite > album. Well, I could, but it would change every day... I think my > current order of preference is FS, JH, Lincoln, A18, Pink, Msc. T, Flood. > I think I need to get Flood on cd one of these days, because part of the > reason it's on the bottom is that all I have is a cassette tape that's on > the brink of being worn out. Let's just say that the "Theme from Flood" > is starting to get a bit tremulous-sounding these days, as are the > beginning notes of "Birdhouse." > > Kirsten > -- > "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* > Favorites, favorites. You know, I think that TMBG is the only band whose album choice really depends on my mood, and I think that that is the greatest part of Their appeal. BTW, I noticed that you signature includes Pulp. What a band, Britain's only really great musical export. I've been trying to get my hands on as much of their stuff as I can, and a poster of Jarvis Cocker graces my bedside. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332BCC5D.4166@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:33:01 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Play that Birdhouse song! Hey folks, It is an unwritten law that every kid in St. Louis must own a copy of Flood. Whenever I go to a party with my guitar, everybody goes nuts when I play anything from it. Then I play "Ana Ng" or "Sleeping in the Flowers" and everybody goes "Huhhh???" and they walk out of the room. Oh well. I am excited by the fact that all the messages are interesting today! Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis P.S. I just got a new job, finally! At Einstein Bros. Bagels. I'm going to bake bagels! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO Message-ID: <19970316.100723.12422.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:08:03 EST hey can someone inform me what the john's middle names are?? isn't flans' rolf or conant or one of those?? hmm.... am i just smoking somethign? here's my bad news for the day: i can't get my copy of then until the 30th cuz i'm gonna be on spring break in this tiny little mountain resort town that has like no music stores within a 40 mile radius and even the ones that close aren't big enough to be getting it in!!1 =( i HATE living in colorado!! I would go to cdnow and oreder it and have it be sent to the place i'm staying at but they charge $20 just to process any mail you recieve while your there and well i really don't have $50 to spend on the CD!! =( so i guess i must wait until the 30th.... the only nice thing about being here in CO is that i don't have to worry about it being sold out anywhere seeing as how I am the ONLY hardcore fan here (and the only one that probably knows they are releasing a new (old) CD!!!) No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:28:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316132824_-1070119998@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO In a message dated 97-03-16 12:09:52 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) writes: << hey can someone inform me what the john's middle names are?? isn't flans' rolf or conant or one of those?? hmm.... am i just smoking somethign? >> We do know Linnell is Sid. I am not sure about Flans' but I do remembers something about ROLF. I would go with that one unless someone objects. Joel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:29:32 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG but doesn't seem like it at first but read it anyway, Message-ID: On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, The Goddess wrote: > Jesse & Lani.... > > LOOK! Someone else to join the clan! Just what I was thinking! Or actually something like "Now he/she is ours, all ours! *evil laughter*" :) -Lani O:) > | and just so this is relevant to the list: My only TMBG liking friend is > | moving to Seattle this Summer, and now I'll have NO ONE! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970316200313.006bcda0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:03:13 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Other Edge show notes >Other Edge notes: They had a decorative backdrop. It consisted of square >panels in two or three sizes, say 6 to 12 inches, strung together from >ceiling to stage floor with monofilament, in several vertical columns. On >the panels were images of Pearl, the TMBG logo and aluminum foil. No home is >complete without one, I say. Was this used on any of the other tour dates? A friend of mine, who works in theater lighting in his spare time, says that those thingies have a special name (I forget what it is) and that they're used because they're self-aiming. Or something like that. He also said they're expensive, thus dashing our hopes of stealing a string or two to complete our home decoration. >Graham was playing a five-string bass, my friend said (I didn't notice). The >extra low string really made things shake, almost knocking the wind out of >our lungs, flapping our pants legs. Good, it wasn't just me. And here I was afraid I was going nuts... :) --nicole the wonder nerd who renewed her wild crush on John Linnell's hair, even though it looks like he got it cut a bit since November. *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:14:55 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Other Edge show notes Message-ID: > > >Graham was playing a five-string bass, my friend said (I didn't notice). The > >extra low string really made things shake, almost knocking the wind out of > >our lungs, flapping our pants legs. > > Good, it wasn't just me. And here I was afraid I was going nuts... :) > actually, 5 string basses don't have an extra low string. they have an extra high string. instead or being E A D G, they're E A D G B... they probably just had the bass jacked up really high, they did that back in Cincinnati in December... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332C0499.7844@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 14:32:57 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Hair John Linnell has the best hair ever. My hair won't do what his does. (I've tried) Graham Maby: one excellent bass player Someone told me he is British, is this true?? Has he played with any other bands? Peace, Love, John and John Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332C7661.A3F@fastrans.net> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 14:38:25 -0800 From: bite size Organization: moo! Subject: Re: TMBG: Hair Richard E. Michalski wrote: > > > Graham Maby: one excellent bass player > > Someone told me he is British, is this true?? Yup, he's British, haven't heard of him with any other band... Aarti ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 16:11:43 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Hair Message-ID: On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, bite size wrote: > > Graham Maby: one excellent bass player > Yup, he's British, haven't heard of him with any other band... > Aarti I think I read somewhere that he used to play with David Bowie, but I'm not sure. Can anyone back me up here? Thanks. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:55:53 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: TMBG: Decorative Backdrops Message-ID: There is some confusion going on here, I believe. The backdrop I saw at the Portland show, which sounded like the same one as the Seattle and Palo Alto shows, was simply decorated cardboard on fishing line. It was cool, but not particularly expensive. Someone mentioned auto-aiming stage lights. I think what you're talking about are called "Intella-beams", and I don't remember seeing any at the Portland show. Although these are impressive, and are EXPENSIVE. These can make all sorts of patterns, sort of like a laser show, by using a pivoting mirror and some other stuff that I don't really know anything about. (I'm sure there's a techie somewhere in the audience!) Sorry I couldn't quote the original message, my e-mail program makes it ridiculously impractical. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ From: Skameleon@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:05:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316170526_1614132967@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: She's a skanker, blood removal while you wait, Less than Jake In a message dated 97-03-15 18:43:21 EST, Heyzeus@swbell.net (Fetche le Mosh) writes: << Just saw Less Than Jake in a free concert today. If anyone else is familiar with this band/has seen them, is there usually so much nudity involved in their shows? >> yep, every time i've seen them they have always had nakee people on stage . . . one time this drunk, totally naked guy got to sing a whole song on stage. . it was fun. ------------------------------ From: Skameleon@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:08:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316170808_720862315@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Edge show!! In a message dated 97-03-15 20:20:04 EST, pinknoiz@ccnet.com (Bob Gonsalves) writes: << Other Edge notes: They had a decorative backdrop. It consisted of square panels in two or three sizes, say 6 to 12 inches, strung together from ceiling to stage floor with monofilament, in several vertical columns. On the panels were images of Pearl, the TMBG logo and aluminum foil. No home is complete without one, I say. Was this used on any of the other tour dates? >> i think that's the same setup as they had when i saw them in ann arbor . . . ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:08:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316170850_-1070103701@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: double TMBG/A & F In a message dated 97-03-15 21:26:31 EST, mjames@greed.loyola.edu wrote: << Hey, I was in Abercrombie & Fitch today looking at jackets when what do I hear in their mix of music but Istanbul (not Constantinope). That was pretty nifty. >> I also enjoyed that song while walking through the extremely over priced mechandise at A & F... I was about to leave when it came on... naturally I stayed put for the full 2:36 min.... Then came on: The Stray Cat Strut!!! OK.. I guess I am the only person here who likes 80's songs... :-| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > < 12. Lean over to another passenger and whisper: "Noogie patrol coming!" > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 16:53:18 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: basses Message-ID: >>>Graham was playing a five-string bass, my friend said (I didn't notice). The >>>extra low string really made things shake, almost knocking the wind out of >>>our lungs, flapping our pants legs. > > actually, 5 string basses don't have an extra low string. they have an > extra high string. instead or being E A D G, they're E A D G B... they > probably just had the bass jacked up really high, they did that back in > Cincinnati in December... Actually, it's time that my bass expertise (or at least the fact that I know about them) came to help me here. Five string basses (and for that matter six string basses) can have very different string setups. They can add strings either up or down. So a five string bass can go E A D G B (with a high B string) or B E A D G (with a low B string). I'm not really sure about six-string basses, but I think that the standard is to have one high string and one low string, giving you B E A D G B, or possibly to have two high strings, resulting in E A D G B E, the same configuration as a guitar (except lower, of course). Trust me on this stuff (except maybe the six-string stuff, as I've never played one)....two of my friends have five-string basses, and they both have a low B string. And yes, it certainly does flap your pant legs when you play it.... :) Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu working entirely too hard on these TMBG surveys...... ------------------------------ From: JulyG@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:38:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316183820_-1204008978@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Picture of Flans Thats not a picture of Flans on viva variety....Its the Mighty Mighty Bosstones ( who by the way i'm going to see Saturday ) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:38:14 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG middle names--COLORADO Message-ID: Its like Conant..or maybe its Convent....one of those :) Katie On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-03-16 12:09:52 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) > writes: > > << hey can someone inform me what the john's middle names are?? > isn't flans' rolf or conant or one of those?? hmm.... am i just smoking > somethign? >> > > We do know Linnell is Sid. I am not sure about Flans' but I do remembers > something about ROLF. I would go with that one unless someone objects. > > Joel > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970316235041.006bfc88@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:50:41 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Re: Decorative Backdrops At 01:55 PM 3/16/97 -0800, you wrote: > There is some confusion going on here, I believe. My mistake--I misunderstood either the e-mail or my friend's comment. Intelli-beams refers to the LIGHTS, not the hanging backdrops. Sorry everyone! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is supposedly all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions." --Anonymous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332C9020.4A62@lnd.com> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:28:16 -0600 From: "The Acting Brilliance of Doug E. Doug" Subject: TMBG: gripe of the day Not to be nit-picky (sorry Adam), but... Can we add the proper spelling of the word "accordion" to the FAQ or something? I'm seeing "accordian" so much, I'm starting to think that's correct (VERY disturbing...) Returning to my normal relaxed state, -- Jim B. "Born to be a god among salesmen, Working the skinny ties..." -Soul Coughing ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:48:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970316194835_652975138@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hair Didn't Grahm used to play with Freedy Johnston? (Who is coinidently on Bar None) [:-| Dan E. Boy (not Dan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970317014852.0068eb88@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:48:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: gripe of the day At 06:28 PM 3/16/97 -0600, you wrote: > >Can we add the proper spelling of the word "accordion" to the FAQ or something? > I'm seeing "accordian" so much, I'm starting to think that's correct (VERY >disturbing...) This is a major peeve of mine...especially when the computers at local record stores have listings for Those Darn Accordions! and Those Darn Accordians!, and have a different CD under each listing. :/ TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:18:05 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Picture of Flans Message-ID: On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 JulyG@aol.com wrote: > Thats not a picture of Flans on viva variety....Its the Mighty Mighty > Bosstones ( who by the way i'm going to see Saturday ) > Yeah, I'm going to see them on the fourth of april in Athens. I urge anyone out there who loves a good live show to go see the Bosstones in concert. And everybody keep checking the Viva Variety site for They will indeed be appearing soon! Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:24:21 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Hair Message-ID: > Didn't Grahm used to play with Freedy Johnston? (Who is coinidently on Bar > None) Not only did Graham used to play for Freedy Johnston, he still does. He played on _Never Home_, Freedy's new album (didn't I post about this a couple of weeks ago?). I'm not sure what Graham looks like (never seen him play....only seen Tony Maimone, who coincidentally played with Pere Ubu and Bob Mould), but he might be in the video for "On the Way Out". Anyone know for sure? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "The twentieth century has not been particularly kind to me." --Bob Mould ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4n==mli00iWR4CEYMp@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:38:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: gripe of the day Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Mar-97 TMBG: gripe of the day by The of D. E. Doug@lnd.co > Can we add the proper spelling of the word "accordion" to the FAQ or something > ? I'm > seeing "accordian" so much, I'm starting to think that's correct (VERY disturb > ing...) I'll second that... as a player of said instrument, I like people to spell it correctly (also, having a name that ends in '-on' that is commonly misspelled as '-an' helps :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970317034959.0067af98@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:49:59 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MTV.COM TMBG was mentioned on MTV.COM... http://www.mtv.com/news/headlines/970314/story7.html Well, the thought's nice, but the execution is pretty poor. :> (TMBG forming in 1986, the use of the word 'quirky'...) Oh well...at least they didn't mention Particle Man. :> Here's a copy of the story, btw. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ They Might Be Giants Unearth Early Material March 14 [14:00 EST] -- They Might Be Giants are about to unleash an epic testament to their work ethic with the release of "Then: The Early Years," a 72-song double CD compiling their earliest recordings. The collection, which arrives March 25, features the duo's first three albums as well as 15 unreleased tracks from the over-achieving combo who gave the world such quirky classics as "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" and "Ana Ng." You might recall that John Flansburgh and John Linnel, who formed TMBG in 1986, unveiled the material with a full band in tow during their recent string of three shows at New York City's Irving Plaza. They've also recently upped their visibility quotient with appearances on NBC's "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" and HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show." In case you're wondering, They Might Be Giants takes its moniker from the George C. Scott, Joanne Woodward film of the same name, but the duo insists the movie holds no other significance to them. For more on They Might Be Giants, check out their website at www.tmbg.com. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703170424.UAA13500@mta2.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:30:14 -0800 (PST) From: Nick Hatton Hi All Can anyone out there help me in my search for the holy grai... wait no wrong thing, I mean a search for TMBG music in sheet form (for a band, especially a JAzz band) in part form i.e. separate sheets for Trumpet, guitar, sax especially Jessica (i'm in school Jazz band and would like to convince the director that clarinet is still viable in Jazz and of course I love bass clarinet solos) I desperately would like to find this music, any help would greatly be appreciated. Anakin1 === .....engaging lurk device..... _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:39:51 -0800 Message-Id: <199703170439.UAA08476@mando.engr.sgi.com> From: John Relph Subject: TMBG: TMBG Collector Needs Help! I received the following letter via the U.S. Postal Service regular delivery. Please reply directly to Ed via surface mail. Do not reply to Ed via this e-mail address, I will ignore any such replies. -- John P.S. all errors are his, not mine. --- begin forwarded U.S. mail message --- Edward WILT 6203 E. Eric Ln. Columbia, MO 65202 Dear John: I am a very big T M B G fan. I have all of their lp's and many of their ep's. I was surfing the Internet in the T M B G discography section and came across your collection. I had no idea that some of the titles you have were ever available. Sleeping in the flowers single, promotional video 1995, were giants live, and the statue got me high import ep ( which I just couln't find anywhere) and many others. I don't know anyone who knows as much about T M B G as you do. Could you direct me to a way of finding som eof these videos or recordings? If you know someone else who might know could you send me their address or a price list. I would gladly purchase anything I'm lacking through the mail. I was on the Internet on my Dad's Computer and don't know a lot about it still. Last and this year my girlfreind and I saw the following shows. SUN SEP 8 ST. LOUIS POINTFEST 10 BANDS TMBG SUN OCT 27 COLUMBIA TMBG (didn't stay for Hootie) MON OCT 28 COLUMBIA STREETSIDE RECORDS LIVE TMBG TUE NOV 26 CHICAGO TMBG WED NOV 27 KANSAS CITY TMBG SAT NOV 30 MILWAUKEE WS TMBG FRI JAN 3 ST. LOUIS TMBG FRI JAN 4 ST. LOUIS TMBG Thanks: Ed Wilt a Desprite TMBG fan P.S. Thank you very much for your time. --- end forwarded U.S. mail message --- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-76 *****************************