Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-78 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 78 Wednesday, 19 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: British Bands (non-TMBG) TMBG: depressed etc. Re: TMBG: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg Re: TMBG: depressed etc. Re: TMBG: THEN TMBG: Clarissa/TMBG! TMBG: My TMBG Story Re: TMBG: depressed etc. RE: TMBG: My TMBG Story RE: TMBG: Boston? Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story TMBG: Re:edge, graham, albums, etc. Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Re: TMBG: tmbg/mono puff as antidepressant? RE: TMBG: Boston? TMBG: CD Live in Milwaukee TMBG: I'm new here, but not new to the Giants Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Re: TMBG: TMBG and Ja, Ich schpechen sie deutch! ..nein! Re: TMBG: depression music TMBG: Manditory FAQing TMBG: Non-TMBG-British Bands Re: TMBG: depression music / survey update Re: TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG-British Bands TMBG: conclusion on middle names TMBG: Baby's First Concert TMBG: languages, requesting songs at concerts Re: TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? TMBG: CD Live in Milwaukee TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti dep., AKA DRIVER! TMBG: Random TMBG/PUFF relatedness.. RE: TMBG: languages, requesting songs at concerts Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG: Conan / BFF TMBG: Re:edge, graham, albums, etc. TMBG: Australia TMBG: language NONRe: TMBG: language TMBG: german translation Re: TMBG: language TMBG: OMLTs ad nauseum Re: TMBG: OMLTs ad nauseum Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:13:41 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark) Subject: TMBG: British Bands (non-TMBG) >Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:26:38 -0500 (EST) >From: Marc Schaub >Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Setup >Favorites, favorites. You know, I think that TMBG is the only band whose >album choice really depends on my mood, and I think that that is the >greatest part of Their appeal. BTW, I noticed that you signature includes >Pulp. What a band, Britain's only really great musical export. I've been >trying to get my hands on as much of their stuff as I can, and a poster of >Jarvis Cocker graces my bedside. Ahem! Just because you haven't heard of too many good British bands doesn't mean that they don't exist. I'd say our bands are much better than US ones, but then I _am_ biased (as are you). What of The Smiths, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Dubstar, Bis, The Happy Mondays, The Charlatans and Stereolab amongst many others? And these are just a few of the more recent ones. Need I mention The Beatles and the profound affect they've had on popular music - surely they deserve the 'great' label? I'd say our music is far more original and diverse than all that American 'rawk' music - let's face it, most new US music is a simply a rip off of the Seattle grunge scene which, in turn, is a rehash of punk with some 'rawk' thrown in. Rambling Flame-Bait, Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look, I've got an exciting new pretentious quote. And this time it's in French for double the ponciness: "Il n'y a rien de plus vrai que le souffle" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 06:40:24 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: depressed etc. Message-ID: Hey/hay, I've got to say that when I'm depressed TMBG doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm more in the mood fro Smashing Pumpkins or even a Bush song. I've been listening to the same CD for a couple weeks, because I've been feeling isolated and needful of minor keys that aren't really cheerful songs, but more of minor keys that are depressing songs. I guess this is just a personal choice and depends on whether you like to stay depressed once you are depressed or whether you want to be cheered up once you're depressed. Okay. That made little to no sense, right? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:39:43 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg Message-ID: On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Aquavelva wrote: > Please, someone tell me I'm not the only one with the Famous Polka caught > in his head. > that isnt a bad thing! its a great song! I always like to blast it from my truck when I drive :) shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199703181449.JAA09349@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: depressed etc. Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:49:56 -0500 (EST) > > I'm more in the mood fro Smashing Pumpkins or even a Bush song. > I've been listening to the same CD for a couple weeks, because I've been > feeling isolated and needful of minor keys that aren't really cheerful > songs, but more of minor keys that are depressing songs. Despite all of your rage, do you still just feel like a rat in a cage, by any chance? Like a zero? Do you feel like you are ugly and nobody loves you? Shave your head and whine, if it helps, but DON'T resort to Bush! That's the cowardly way out. m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703181535.JAA102896@www.outreach.com> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:40:53 -0500 From: jschulze@outreach.com (Jennifer) Subject: Re: TMBG: THEN >PE>I just pre-ordered Then from CDnow and was just wondering if US$27 (I think >PE>that's what is was) is expensive for a double CD? The others I ordered were >PE>only about US$14-17. Does anyone have any idea what exactly is on it? > >PE>Peter Young > >Yes that's quite expensive, though I've never tried to order through >CDnow. I'm not sure about the cost of living difference between my >place and your's, though (I live in rural Illinois). > >Utopia One >UtopiaOne@qconline.com now i am jealous. I just bought an art tatum 2cd set the other day... think it was about $28. I thought that was normal for a 2cd set so the tmbg one didn't seem so expensive... jennifer ______________________________________________________________ Jennifer Schulze Phone:(512)832-0132 Outreach Communications FAX:(512)832-8901 http://www.outreach.com jschulze@outreach.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332EB81C.7552@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:43:24 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Clarissa/TMBG! I FOUND IT! I found Clarissa's TMBG reference! It's two great big posters of TMBG... one black with a picture of Flansy and Linny, the other with the TMBG logo (the one that's on Flood). --vlad_drakul/Vladimir/Vlad/Dredlock/Beethoven/Kefka ************************************************************ *"...genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * *"...CHICKEN BUTT!" -Jaret Vosburgh * ************************************************************ Have a nice day! :j ------------------------------ Date: 18 Mar 1997 16:15:35 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc33b6$7d20d760$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story Hello friends, Last night (Thursday) was the first concert of the TMBG Australian Tour. Please ignore spelling errors or lack of cohesion as I have just returned home from the show (2am Friday). The show was fantastic. Although I love FS, my semi-fan friends are more partial to Their older stuff, so felt left out by the set they played (I didn't get a list, but will post a copy next time). The glockenspiel roaddie was back, the cannon didn't work, the conga line was enormous, and Linnell played accordion for about six songs (maye more, I forget). The show tickets were left outside for people to collect after the show, and out of what I thought was a couple of thousand people, my ticket 0003 would be hard to get. Upon leaving after the third encore I went straight over to where everyone was getting them and THERE IT WAS. MY TICKET. I knew this would be a good night. I packed my friends off home and waited out the back of the venue for autographs. First we were told that they had left, but I could still see the tour bus so waited. I struck up a conversation with the bassist from the opening act (The Simpletons who were great, and who also play the accordion). While chatting away, one of the TMBG sound people came out, so I struck up a chat with him. He gave me (wait for it) two of Dan Levine's drumsticks. I could've had the third, but politely offered it to one of the others waiting. Later Dan came out, so I introduced myself, shook his hand and chatted. I took his picture with my girlfriend, and then had her take one of Dan with me. Soon Linnell came out, so I shook his hand and congratulated him on his marriage. He thanked me, so I asked if I could have a photo taken with him. He said he was in a rush but I said the camera was ready and he said ok. Flans came out jumped in the van, so I asked if I could take his picture. He snapped "no" and got into his seat really grumpy. Apparently a couple of drunk guys had hassled him. Linnell was still smiling at me though. I took photos of the bus as they left. That was my second TMBG concert ever, and the beginning of my week of heaven. Tomorrow (Thursday) I travel 1000 miles to be at their next gig in Canberra, followed by 600 miles to Melbourne the next day. In Melbourne I am going to one concert (Friday) and one TV appearance (Saturday Morning), then flying 800 miles for the first Sydney concert (Saturday Night) and staying for another (Sunday night). Then I finish by flying around 800 miles home and the end of my adventure. I haven't decided if I am taking my notebook computer, but if I don't I will post everything on Monday anyhow. BTW, Linnell's wife's name is Karen (if it hasn't been mentioned already). Cheers all, wish me luck. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:26:49 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: depressed etc. Message-ID: > > Despite all of your rage, do you still just feel like a rat in a cage, > by any chance? Like a zero? Do you feel like you are ugly and > nobody loves you? Shave your head and whine, if it helps, but DON'T > resort to Bush! That's the cowardly way out. > > > m@t > I was actually considering the head shaving part, but for a completely different reason than depression. I don't feel like nobody loves me, rather that I am isolated from the world in general and people in particular. Just because Gavin's cuter than you doesn't mean that the one Bush song I actually like is bad. ;) Elitza PS. J/K I don't think Gavin's that cute, actually. I'm more of a John Lennon gal. Plus I've never seen m@t. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: My TMBG Story Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:20:01 -0800 >---------- >From: Royce M. Lee[SMTP:parvenu@ozemail.com.au] >Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 1997 8:15 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story > >Hello friends, > >Last night (Thursday) was the first concert of the TMBG Australian Tour. >Please ignore spelling errors or lack of cohesion as I have just returned >home from the show (2am Friday). > >... Flans came out jumped in the van, so I asked if I >could take his picture. He snapped "no" and got into his seat really >grumpy. Apparently a couple of drunk guys had hassled him. Linnell was >still smiling at me though. I took photos of the bus as they left. LOOK! He's STILL smiling!!! I think this is a VERY kool thing that has happened to Linny. It's great to see him really happy. (: Jesse, leaving signatures all over his post like Mike >BTW, Linnell's wife's name is Karen (if it hasn't been mentioned already). Koolness! >Cheers all, wish me luck. Definitely! Sounds like quite an adventure. Be sure to report every little detail. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:13:45 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: Hello. I just bought my tickets to see them in Boston! see you there. Olivia ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:14:22 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Message-ID: > I struck up a chat with him. He gave me (wait for it) two of Dan Levine's > drumsticks. I could've had the third, but politely offered it to one of the > others waiting. Later Dan came out, so I introduced myself, shook his hand > and chatted. I took his picture with my girlfriend, and then had her take > one of Dan with me. Did I miss someting big or did this new drummer's name not get mentioned by anyone else? Just wondering. Soon Linnell came out, so I shook his hand and > congratulated him on his marriage. WOW!!!!!!!! He thanked me, so I asked if I could > have a photo taken with him. He said he was in a rush but I said the camera > was ready and he said ok. Flans came out jumped in the van, so I asked if I > could take his picture. He snapped "no" and got into his seat really > grumpy. Apparently a couple of drunk guys had hassled him. Linnell was > still smiling at me though. I took photos of the bus as they left. > WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm *so* jealous. I was pretty close to Them on their way on/off stage at E. Lansing's instore but I didn't talk to either of them! Poor Flansy though, that had to suck. I thought he was the more amiable of the two according to some accounts, but Linny has been in good moods lately. That is so incredibly cool! > That was my second TMBG concert ever, and the beginning of my week of > heaven. Tomorrow (Thursday) I travel 1000 miles to be at their next gig in > Canberra, followed by 600 miles to Melbourne the next day. In Melbourne I > am going to one concert (Friday) and one TV appearance (Saturday Morning), > then flying 800 miles for the first Sydney concert (Saturday Night) and > staying for another (Sunday night). Then I finish by flying around 800 > miles home and the end of my adventure. > AND you get to fly around Australia. My goodness, what I would give for this opportunity! > BTW, Linnell's wife's name is Karen (if it hasn't been mentioned already). > I don't think so. "Karen Linnell" has a nice sound to it, don't you think? > Cheers all, wish me luck. > > -- > Royce M. Lee > parvenu@ozemail.com.au > > This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. > > Well, not really :-) > Okay, who else wants to fly to Australia for this? Elitza *- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:18:37 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703181818.KAA16602@f2.hotmail.com> From: " Carl Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Re:edge, graham, albums, etc. First, to Nicole: Were you the one at the Edge show wearing the black "Silverchair" t-shirt, writing song titles furiously in a spiral notebook near the bar toward the end of the fist set? I had a hunch that was you, and if it was, I am totally embarrassed for not introducing myself. I had the unfornunate (for her) task of taking care of my girlfriend, who 1)had a mosher fall onto her neck while we were trying to help someone up, and 2)had her ribs smashed in from the crush of cattle up near the front. She's all right now, but she missed work Friday. That place was WAY too small to accomodate the legions of TMBG fans, a mosh pit, AND a conga line. Oh, how I wish they would play the Great American Music Hall again... ON a happier note---congrats on the coffee cup. Maybe next time we'll all bring a pot for John before the show, so he can share his coffee time with the rest of us. Second, IMHO, I have thought it would be an absolute perfect segue for Them to go from "Exquisite Dead Guy" with the puppets to "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head". It's only natural for god's sake. Third, Maby is great,I, to am glad someone else remembers him. and check out Joe Jackson. He played everything with him. Fourth, Order of 1st Listen: 1)Lincoln, 2)Pink, 3)Flood our college station added it New Years Day 1990 and I played it to death during the break 4)MiscT 5)Apollo 18 6)JH 7)FS. It has been my experience that each album of Theirs has taken a little while to get used to, a breaking in period, if you will. That, to me is a mark of really great music. Something that doesn't have a short shelf life, and stays with you for the long term. Fifth, gripes about misspelling of accordian, & all other words, are all worthy of being mentioned. (hope I don't have any) Sixth, Bryan... glad you made it all the way from UT. Sorry, I didn't look for you (see above). Whew... that is all for now. Back to lurking I go... --Carl Hoffmann * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:25:43 -0600 (CST) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Message-Id: > > > Okay, who else wants to fly to Australia for this? > > Elitza *- i'm packed and ready to go! this whole story is _nuts_ -- i can't wait to hear the tale of the rest of the adventure...:) elitza, are you picking me up here, or should i meet you somewhere? :) jillian woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu no matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:43:19 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg/mono puff as antidepressant? Message-ID: Is this Chuck from Lupos? The one who was screaming "read the note" with me and my friends to John Linnell? Katie On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Whim wrote: > here is a story I've posted on the cowtown message boards on AOL: > > And now the story of the Healing Power of TMBG (hopefully not for the > second time): > This past weekend My friend Chuck and his friends Andy and Ry came > home. Being the crazy driving guy that I am I offered to bring them > back to North Adams MA on Sunday...incredibly out of my way. > > On the way home Chuck and Andy became violently ill, causing me to stop > at least three times to let them vomit (icky). > When we got to the dorms, their illness progressed into further states > of ickyness, so we decided to take them to the hospital. There, they > were drugged up. After about two hours, the doctors told us that they > had stabilized and we were to take them back to the dorms and make sure > they stayed in bed for the next 24 hours with liquids but no foods. > > As I helped the drugged Chuck to his bed he mumbled, "music" (at least I > think so), so I put Apollo18 on random play and left him. I ended up > staying the night there...it being three AM by the time all this had > occurred. > > The next morning, Chuck was feeling better (aside from an incredible > hunger), but Andy, who had no TMBG exposure, apparently hadn't gotten > much sleep and had just stopped puking around 6 AM... > > They're both fine now and enjoyed their Tuesday off (by doctors orders). > > > Hope you enjoyed it... > later-hosen > Whim > [currently listening to: Charleston Capers.Ithaca Ragtime Marimba > Ensemble] > http://www.geocities.com/SouhBeach/Marina/2633 > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:53:07 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: who else from here is going? Katie On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, (*) wrote: > Hello. > I just bought my tickets to see them in Boston! see you there. > Olivia > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970318201718.0067cf70@gac.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:17:18 -0600 From: Tom Walker Subject: TMBG: CD Live in Milwaukee Hi, i had a little auction of a cd we made about a month ago. It was 11/30/96 live in milwaukee. Thing is, some of the songs got cut off, so it is missing about 6 or so songs off the end. Its still a great cd, fabulous quality, great personnaly designed cd and cover art. A rare commodity, only about 5 made. The person who was supposed to buy it has not come through, so i'm putting it back up on the list. His bid was 37 dollars, so i'd like to start the bidding at 30 dollars. I'll probably cut the bidding off after tomorrows digest comes out. Here is the setlist Lady's A Tramp Older Why Does The Sun Shine? Ana Ng The Guitar Counterfeit Faker Particle Man Sleeping In The Flowers S-E-X-X-Y Istanbul Maybe I Know Spider AKA Driver Stayin' Alive Metal Detector and the intro to Pet name each track contains 1-4 songs so as not to break up the concert type atmosphere...and the transitions into songs are fabulous. The quality is excellent. It is on cd, every note, sung and played is audible, it is just awesome. Well worth it, if not just for Older, Counterfeit Faker, and Maybe I KNow, each of superb quality. Thanks, personal email replies only, do not post to the list Tom Walker twalker@gac.edu Hey, help me out...go to this site..HTTP://www.nlenx.com/ringolia and click on the huge banner on the top. Thats all you have to do. Me and My college Fund thanks you!!! ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:21:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970318152142_1083609312@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I'm new here, but not new to the Giants I am a long time fan of TMBG, seeing them front row at the Barrymore Theater in Madison,WI in 1990 Flood Tour. I have since started a massive tape collection along with CDs, Posters and whatever. I would love to trade with folks so drop me a line. I have seen TMBG many times, In fact here is a list of the shows I have attended... Barrymore Theater, Madison,WI 5-90 Barrymore Theater, Madison,WI ~5-92 Modjeska Theater, Milwaukee,WI 10-5-92 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 4-20-94 Barrymore Theater, Madison,WI 3-11-95 Barrymore Theater, Madison, WI 3-31-96 The Rave, Milwaukee, WI 11-30-96 Pease Auditorium, EMU, Ypsilanti,MI 2-19-97 *SOON* The Metro, Chicago,IL 4-29-97 *SOON* The Metro, Chicago,IL 4-30-97 It'll be great to be piped into a list of all GIANT fanatics, I look forward to talk with all! Anyone going to the Chicago shows, hope to see you there!!! Todd ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:34:55 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Message-ID: > > > > > Okay, who else wants to fly to Australia for this? > > > > Elitza *- > > i'm packed and ready to go! this whole story is _nuts_ -- i can't wait to > hear the tale of the rest of the adventure...:) elitza, are you picking > me up here, or should i meet you somewhere? :) > > jillian > How's about we meet in HI, then catch the next flight out? Anyone else care to join us on the volcanic beaches of the big island and fly to Oz for a bit? Elitza *- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970318154611.007f8e40@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:46:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? Brain Candy? -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:47:47 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story Message-ID: > one of Dan with me. Soon Linnell came out, so I shook his hand and > congratulated him on his marriage. He thanked me, so I asked if I could > have a photo taken with him. He said he was in a rush but I said the camera > was ready and he said ok. Flans came out jumped in the van, so I asked if I > could take his picture. He snapped "no" and got into his seat really > grumpy. Apparently a couple of drunk guys had hassled him. Linnell was > still smiling at me though. I took photos of the bus as they left. Has anyone seen that Seinfeld episode where George starts doing everything opposite and he starts doing well, and then Elaine starts to think that she's turning into George? I think this same reversal of fortune is happening with John and John (or so I've gathered). I'd always remembered Linnell being the anti-social one and Flans being the talkative one. And now that Linnell's married it seems like he's talking more and Flans is anti-social. Admittedly, in the above example, it's just because Flans had a shitty night (happens to all of us, I suppose...), but it really seems to be that way all the time now. Weird.... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970318155022.007c55a0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:50:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Ja, Ich schpechen sie deutch! ..nein! At 11:41 PM 3/17/97 -0600, Mike Leffel wrote: >Ja, auf wiedersehen! >Mike "Ich schpele gern beeinflussen der bauer!" Leffel >:) >(ich schprechen sie deutch, nicht und schlade) > >That's all the German I can remember, so I'm done. > "Quieres ir al cafe?" "Si, vamos" That's all the Spanish I can remember, but then again, I haven't taken a Spanish class in at least nine hours. hehe, who says you don't learn anything in three years of a foreign language? :) -ec - http://center.ml.org --> Super Cheap Web Pages! - ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332ECD84.420C@baka.com> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:14:44 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: depression music > > Sometimes, although often when I'm in a crappy mood I don't feel > > like listening to TMBG, partly because I couldn't enjoy it. [clip] Though I'm not normally one to repost an opinion(on a thread I started, no less) which contradicts what I previously posted, I have to add this. Yes, sometimes when I'm depressed I feel like being depressed, and then I will listen to something other than TMBG, something morose and unhappy, usually Eels, some Pink Floyd, or Violent Femmes. Ususally this inspires me to write something cool, which makes it worth the being depressed in the first place. But when I need to be cheered up, TMBG or especially Mono Puff is still the music of choice. Fountains of Wayne- Yes, I can see a bit of TMBG similarity, more with their second single, "Sink to The Bottom" then that other song. I like what I've heard. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah, who always used to put little quotes between his first name and last, before he decided he like his sig better with just his first name. ------------------------------ Message-id: <3122553@hanover.VALLEY.NET> Date: 18 Mar 97 16:25:48 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Manditory FAQing I think that the Clarrisa thing should be put on the FAQ, even though it's not a question, and I think that it should then be made manditory for all new members to read it. I'm sorry to be pissy, but I've seen the Clarrisa poster thing on this list like 50 times, and it is a waste of bandwidth, I mean, Some of us can't read subjects, and It's a bad thing to make me sad. ARIVING MARCH 25: Then My Futon Rob ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:27:05 -0800 From: Chess Piece Face Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG-British Bands Message-id: <332E8A18.5359@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> Organization: TMBG Maniacs Anonymus > Ahem! Just because you haven't heard of too many good British bands doesn't > mean that they don't exist. I'd say our bands are much better than US ones, > but then I _am_ biased (as are you). What of The Smiths, New Order, Pet > Shop Boys, Dubstar, Bis, The Happy Mondays, The Charlatans and Stereolab > amongst many others? And these are just a few of the more recent ones. Need > I mention The Beatles and the profound affect they've had on popular music > - surely they deserve the 'great' label? I'd say our music is far more > original and diverse than all that American 'rawk' music - let's face it, > most new US music is a simply a rip off of the Seattle grunge scene which, > in turn, is a rehash of punk with some 'rawk' thrown in. Ok first of all, I want to say who gives a rats ass! But who is to say that British bands are more original than American bands. That's more of your biased opinion too. Yes I agree there are some great English musicians out there like Oasis, Sting, other bands mentioned before and esp. David Bowie. But gee guess what Oasis is a lot like The Beatles. They're not original! But I don't really care it's music that I like. Now let's see look at TMBG they're getting popular and They're original. So aren't new bands like Cake, Sheryl Crow, Sublime, Belly. I don't think I need to go on. Like I said before who really cares anyways if you like the music you like the music. It doesn't really matter what the music sounds like even if it does sound like some other group. Since we all have our biased opinions I think we should keep them to ourselves if they are negative. This subject need not have even been brought up, let alone need to be responded to. But someone needs to do it. -- => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => Brian Mellem, wishing you a very They day!! Visit my web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ Egad a base tone denotes a bad age.-TMBG "I'm your only friend. I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend....."-TMBG <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: depression music / survey update Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:45:06 +0000 () On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:59:23 -0600 (CST) Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > > >Does anyone else use mono puff/TMBG as anti-depression music? When I'm > > >feeling down, I often turn on Unsupervised, or occasionally a TMBG > > >album [clip] > > > > Sometimes, although often when I'm in a crappy mood I don't feel > > like listening to TMBG, partly because I couldn't enjoy it. [clip] > > I think tmbg can be played in almost all situations. As anti depression music I usually choose 'calypso pt 3 ' by Jean Michel Jarre, but on occasions tmbg have been known to do the trick. I was wondering though how their music fits into a romantic situation for anyone else on the list. I had pretty much decided that THEY should be avoided during moments of passion but I decided to experiment nonetheless. Needless to say, 'I'm going down the cowtown' has never been quite the same. My boyfriend is a THEY fan too so I was forgiven (just) but I'm interested in other peoples partners reactions when exposed to it during these moments. I also think TMBG make great 'going out' music, 'making dinner' music and 'ironing' music. not to mention having something usless to talk about on the list..............(sorry!) chrissy x ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:56:32 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? Message-ID: On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Brain Candy? > -ec > Yeah! What was the song from Brain Candy? And is it available anywhere else? Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG-British Bands Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:12:27 +0000 () On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:27:05 -0800 Chess Piece Face wrote: > > Ahem! Just because you haven't heard of too many good British bands doesn't > > mean that they don't exist. I'd say our bands are much better than US ones, > > but then I _am_ biased (as are you). What of The Smiths, New Order, Pet > > Shop Boys, Dubstar, Bis, The Happy Mondays, The Charlatans and Stereolab > > amongst many others? And these are just a few of the more recent ones. Need > > I mention The Beatles and the profound affect they've had on popular music > > - surely they deserve the 'great' label? I'd say our music is far more > > original and diverse than all that American 'rawk' music - let's face it, > > most new US music is a simply a rip off of the Seattle grunge scene which, > > in turn, is a rehash of punk with some 'rawk' thrown in. > > Ok first of all, I want to say who gives a rats ass! But who is to say > that British bands are more original than American bands. That's more of > your biased opinion too. Yes I agree there are some great English > musicians out there like Oasis, Sting, other bands mentioned before and > esp. David Bowie. But gee guess what Oasis is a lot like The Beatles. > They're not original! But I don't really care it's music that I like. > Now let's see look at TMBG they're getting popular and They're original. > So aren't new bands like Cake, Sheryl Crow, Sublime, Belly. I don't > think I need to go on. Like I said before who really cares anyways if > you like the music you like the music. It doesn't really matter what the > music sounds like even if it does sound like some other group. Since we > all have our biased opinions I think we should keep them to ourselves if > they are negative. This subject need not have even been brought up, let > alone need to be responded to. But someone needs to do it. Well, there have been a number of British bands that have contributed and influenced music of this era but then theres been a number of american bands too. Wouldn't it be nice if the group as individuals got the credit rather than their country as a whole. After all, The Beatles were great and british but some bloody awful stuff has also come out of britain, and yes, oasis could well be one of them. In the same way, great music has come out of the US just as much as crap music has. I don't know if this is right, but I would imagine that it is harder for american bands to have such an influence because the country is so much bigger. The reason there is more diversity in britain is because it's a smaller country. Having said that there is a number of british bands that are jumping on the britpop bandwagon trying desperately to ensure that there is as little diversity as possible, so influence is not always a good thing. As the person above says, if you like the music, you like the music and nationality doesn't come into it. Perhaps It's just easier for British bands because the country is smaller! who Knows??? chrissy x > -- > => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => => > Brian Mellem, wishing you a very They day!! > Visit my web site at http://onesun.cc.geneseo.edu/~bem99/ Egad > a base tone denotes a bad age.-TMBG > "I'm your only friend. I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little > glowing friend....."-TMBG > <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: conclusion on middle names Message-ID: <19970318.151755.13414.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:19:25 EST okay, sorry to totally confuse those of you with my last e-mail trying to figure out the Johns' middle names so here they are for anyone that cares: John Sid Linnell John Conant Flansburgh (we're not too sure about the spelling on this one... and well i'm too lazy to go get my Mono Puff cd and check it out but you can!) All the people are so happy now their heads are caving in.... No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970318174454.006f1d1c@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:44:54 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Baby's First Concert Last thursday I went to my first concert ever. Unfortunatly it wasnt TMBG, but I went with my girlfriend Autumn and a couple of her friends, Jason and Ann (who btw is also a TMBG list type persona), so the concert experience wasnt too bad. We saw the Eels at the 9:30 Club in Wasington DC. There was noone there when we arrived so there wasnt much chance to scalp our extra three tickets that we got stuck with when some of her friends backed out. We stood right in front of the stage where I experienced of having my internal organs vibrate in tune with the rather loud music coming from the large banks of speakers and amps. The opening band was a local group called Daisyhaze. They were pretty damn good and, according to Autumn and Ann, much much much better than Goat Boy who had opened for TMBG when they had recently played the 9:30 Club. The guy who was the Daisyhaze drummer had long blond hair and was making some really goofy faces while he was playing. He almost always had his mouth open but it looked like he didnt have any bottom teeth. The bassist looked kind of like a monkey and a Monkee and the lead singer "had cool hair" in the words of my gf. The guitar player was really impressive and we stood right in front of him for the show. After their set I horked the hand written set list right off the stage. In grand TMBG list tradition, here it is, exactly as written: LUCIFER JALOPY LULLABYE OCTAVIA CARS PROZAC BRICK WRONG CROWN SUBMARINE LANDSLIDE LONG WAY There also was a song called Jumper I think that they played second to last but wasnt on the set list. I liked them so much I bought their CD from the T-Shirt stand and then I saw that the band members were hanging out in the club. I got a chance to talk to them all and they autographed my CD booklet. I signed up for their mailing list and they've got web pages at: http://members.aol.com/donimon/index.htm and also http://www.megnet.com/dhaze/ I highly recommend checking these guys out as they are much better than alot of big name acts including the Eels. Frankly the Eels sucked. I hadnt really had hardly any exposure to their music before the concert since I dont listen to the radio here at college, but I wasnt really impressed. The novacaine song wasnt too bad and the song they played after that (something called Rags) was pretty good. But most of the rest, including the cover of 'Sweet Home Alabama' werent so good. The main downfall of the band was that the lead singer was an asshole. He routinely yelled at the crowd and told us to shut up and he also got pissed off when it became apparent that 2/3 of the people there we just there to hear the hit song. The only good part of their set was when they brought Brooks "Perhaps the Drunkest Man Alive" up on stage to have him dance for the "Beautiful Freak" song. Brooks didnt cooperate however. He kept talking into his mike so they had to turn it off and then he proceeded to sit on stuff so they had to kick him back off stage. They did use some rather odd percusion insturments they had made themselves and also a piano that had been a bit modified so that stuff was pretty cool. That wasnt enough to make them good and the crowds lukewarm response limited them to only one of the two encores that they had on the set list. It was amusing that the bassist,who we stood right in front of, had the words to one of the encore songs written on a piece of paper that was laying next to the set list. I managed to hork the set list as well as the lyric sheet after the show but I gave them to Ann. Overall it was a good $5 worth of entertainment to see Daisyhaze and it would have been just as well to have left after they were done. Well, I've wasted enough of your time now. "Thanks for your attention, now I can button my blouse." (Not a quote of mine. Its from Nur, a Turkish girl from UMBC, who was giving another Turkish girl advice on what to say after giving a speech.) Eating American Cheese Slices Til He Dies, Jeff Roberts "But I was young and foolish then. I feel old and foolish now." -They Might Be Giants "Gods play games with the fates of men. But first they have to get all the pieces on the board and look all over the place for the dice." -Terry Pratchett ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: languages, requesting songs at concerts Message-ID: <19970318.154439.13414.17.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:45:21 EST okay i have a minor question: can you request them to play songs or not???? here's why i ask: i remember back at the IP shows someone was saying that They were gonna play happy birthday for someone... well i was just wonderin if you can just request them to play some song (yes, one of their songs) by the way, CAN WE PLEASE STOP SPEAKIN IN ANOTHER FRIGGIN LANGUAGE??? And now, time for the random question of the day: What IS the world's address?????? ****************************************************** as far as the antidepressant (sp) strange that someone used my signature as an example: No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:55:48 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG? Anti-Depressant? Message-ID: <19970318.175549.12166.0.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:56:32 -0500 (EST) Marc Schaub writes: >On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >> Brain Candy? >> -ec >> > >Yeah! What was the song from Brain Candy? And is it available >anywhere >else? The Brian Candy sndtrk song was "Spiraling Shape", available also on, you guessed it FS, Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <332F1D85.6A35@ou.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:56:05 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: CD Live in Milwaukee Sorry, Tom.. but.. I ordered the cd last time for a whopping $45 (all you college students know what a blow that is) and haven't been too pleased with it. The sound quality is way less than excellant.. ie.. in my computer drive it's barely audible. Not to ruin your business, Tom.. but I thought people might want to know what they are really getting into. Heather Tom Walker wrote: > > Hi, i had a little auction of a cd we made about a month ago. It was > 11/30/96 live in milwaukee. Thing is, some of the songs got cut off, so it > is missing about 6 or so songs off the end. Its still a great cd, fabulous > quality, great personnaly designed cd and cover art. A rare commodity, only > about 5 made. > The person who was supposed to buy it has not come through, so i'm putting > it back up on the list. His bid was 37 dollars, so i'd like to start the > bidding at 30 dollars. I'll probably cut the bidding off after tomorrows > digest comes out. > > Here is the setlist > > Lady's A Tramp > Older > Why Does The Sun Shine? > Ana Ng > The Guitar > Counterfeit Faker > Particle Man > Sleeping In The Flowers > S-E-X-X-Y > Istanbul > Maybe I Know > Spider > AKA Driver > Stayin' Alive > Metal Detector > and the intro to Pet name > > each track contains 1-4 songs so as not to break up the concert type > atmosphere...and the transitions into songs are fabulous. The quality is > excellent. It is on cd, every note, sung and played is audible, it is just > awesome. Well worth it, if not just for Older, Counterfeit Faker, and Maybe > I KNow, each of superb quality. > > Thanks, personal email replies only, do not post to the list > > Tom Walker > twalker@gac.edu > > Hey, help me out...go to this site..HTTP://www.nlenx.com/ringolia > and click on the huge banner on the top. Thats all you have to do. > Me and My college Fund thanks you!!! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:32:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970318193031_-1538860618@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti dep., AKA DRIVER! > is it: > John Sidney Linnell > or > John Sydney Linnell Pretty sure it's "Sidney" - he signed my sister's paper "JOHN SID". > I just got a tmbg info club catolog today in the mail. It's >pretty neat. It has all the lyrics to factory showroom and >some interpretations. Just got it toDAY? How long have you been subscribed?? Just recently? Or did it take them that long to send to you? >It also has tons of t shirts and stuff you can bye but >unfortunetely i think they were made for boys only...no small >sizes. Oh, then I'm a boy, because I don't wear skin tight shirts, okay. Maybe that's why I find Dave Foley particularly hot in a dress.. But seriously - I am not over weight, but I like clothes I can breathe in... besides, they shrink in the wash, and I also like layers... But believe you me, not *all* girls wear small... >I screwed up, and didn't tape it one night, but I saw the >preview. Conan was making out with some lady. Who was >that? Why right there? I'm going nuts! Lolita Davidovitch. She was being a real slut, teasing Conan and stuff, and then ended her interview with saying she's engaged! >I also saw Howard Stern standing up and the table was >flipped over. Andy poured water on it. What was that all >about? LOL! That was hilarious! They were playing the Ben Stern song (NIN and Howard's dad) off the Private Parts soundtrack, and got up to dance to it. :) :) :) >Did anyone else notice that Andy and his brother look alike? Hee hee.. "Victor Richter"? :) >Does anyone else use mono puff/TMBG as anti-depression >music? How ironic you should say that. Yesterday, my dog was reeally sick, sicker than she was in the past week, (lots of fluid in the lungs) and since she's 10, the vet said she could go anyday... days, weeks, months -- but so we went looking at new dogs, y'know.. to be prepared, and I put Unsupervised on in the car (one of the 5 cd's I brought), and it just soothed me. (in case youre curious - she went to the vet last night, got some shots, and is doin' great - but her time is still....) BUT - for me: 100mg Zoloft + coffee + KITH + TMBG = anti-depressed. :) Something funny: I saw a car today that had a lot of religious bumperstickers (blehh..) and some others. And one was green with big pink letters and it said "AKA" with something under it I couldn't make out. I just thought that was kinda neat, lol. :) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Coffee has been very good to me." - Dave Foley ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703190057.SAA14355@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Random TMBG/PUFF relatedness.. Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:48:08 -0600 Mike "Signing off madly" Leffel In this week's Newsweek, there's a tiny little photo of Nixon standing triumphantly in front of a banner that reads "Nixon's The One". I think it would make a nifty little cover for a CD! ..Of course, nothing like getting sued over by president's kin.. Mike "I just used the word 'kin' " Leffel :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: languages, requesting songs at concerts Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:50:38 -0800 >--------- >From: tmbgirl@juno.com[SMTP:tmbgirl@juno.com] >Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 1997 2:45 PM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: languages, requesting songs at concerts > >okay i have a minor question: > can you request them to play songs or not???? here's why i ask: >i remember back at the IP shows someone was saying that They were gonna >play happy birthday for someone... well i was just wonderin if you can >just request them to play some song (yes, one of their songs) Yes, actually. Though, you gotta request it preferably several weeks in advance, and they're not guaranteed to agree to it. But the Johns, being generally happy folk, tend to be amiable to their fans more often than not. (: >by the way, CAN WE PLEASE STOP SPEAKIN IN ANOTHER FRIGGIN LANGUAGE??? Definitely agreed. Where in this list did anyone see the note, "Speaking German is okay on here"? Not that German's a bad language, it's fine, I even took a year of it myself in 9th grade (WAAAAAAAAAAY back when, before the Berlin wall came down). But English is the generally accepted language of the internet, and thus if one wishes to communicate to others on the internet, they should try to speak the same language. The exception being, of course, areas designed for specific languages. >And now, time for the random question of the day: > What IS the world's address?????? I'll repeat it for those who may not have already guessed... The world's a dress. A place that's worn. A sad pun that reflects a sadder mess. Jesse, "...intellectuals meet other intellectuals to speak a foreign language..." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:18:46 -0700 (MST) Message-Id: <199703190118.SAA20284@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: At 07:36 PM 3/17/97 -0800, you wrote: >Please, someone tell me I'm not the only one with the Famous Polka caught >in his head. Well, I don't have it stuck, but it is pretty damn catchy! Dave Simpson LotharCo Visit our unfinnish website: www.info2000.net/~lothar/ and be, well just be. Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970318203914.007ef740@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:39:14 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: Conan / BFF Here's my non-tmbg post... Conan: How far behind are the Conan episodes on CNBC at 10 PM (?) A week? BFF: Got the new album today (Whatever and Ever Amen) It's pretty good, and there are some great songs on it. (The rest is okay...) (For those in the know: why the hell did they pick BOWCCL as the single?!?) (I know I should be posting to the BFF list, but it's digested only! :) If you don't have a Ben Folds Five CD, go out and buy the *first one* RIGHT NOW. Well, that's all for now.... -ec http://center.ml.org <--- FREE MONEY ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:02:35 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703172202.OAA16074@f24.hotmail.com> From: " Carl Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Re:edge, graham, albums, etc. First, to Nicole: Were you the one at the Edge show wearing the black "Silverchair" t-shirt, writing song titles furiously in a spiral notebook near the bar toward the end of the fist set? I had a hunch that was you, and if it was, I am totally embarrassed for not introducing myself. I had the unfornunate (for her) task of taking care of my girlfriend, who 1)had a mosher fall onto her neck while we were trying to help someone up, and 2)had her ribs smashed in from the crush of cattle up near the front. She's all right now, but she missed work Friday. That place was WAY too small to accomodate the legions of TMBG fans, a mosh pit, AND a conga line. Oh, how I wish they would play the Great American Music Hall again... ON a happier note---congrats on the coffee cup. Maybe next time we'll all bring a pot for John before the show, so he can share his coffee time with the rest of us. Second, IMHO, I have thought it would be an absolute perfect segue for Them to go from "Exquisite Dead Guy" with the puppets to "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head". It's only natural for god's sake. Third, Maby is great, and check out Joe Jackson. He played everything with him. Fourth, Order of 1st Listen: 1)Lincoln, 2)Pink, 3)Flood our college station added it New Years Day 1990 and I played it to death during the break 4)MiscT 5)Apollo 18 6)JH 7)FS. It has been my experience that each album of Theirs has taken a little while to get used to, a breaking in period, if you will. That, to me is a mark of really great music. Something that doesn't have a short shelf life, and stays with you for the long term. Fifth, gripes about misspelling of accordian, & all other words, are all worthy of being mentioned. (hope I don't have any) Sixth, Bryan... glad you made it all the way from UT. Sorry, I didn't look for you (see above). Whew... that is all for now. Back to lurking I go... --Carl Hoffmann * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:44:51 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199703190144.UAA15485@quasar.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: TMBG: Australia Hey People down under! I know that they are touring there now, and just read the post about the tour... If someone would be good enough to post the setlists, that would be much appreciated. A rich guy told me "bring a chicken and juice" And now I'm waiting like a chicken for God on earth ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970318205021.007f1810@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:50:21 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: language >>by the way, CAN WE PLEASE STOP SPEAKIN IN ANOTHER FRIGGIN LANGUAGE??? > >Definitely agreed. Where in this list did anyone see the note, >"Speaking German is okay on here"? >But English is the generally accepted language of the internet, >and thus if one wishes to communicate to others on the internet, >they should try to speak the same language. The exception being, >of course, areas designed for specific languages. I agree! Let's FLAME THE HELL OUT OF THIS GUY!!! IN PORTUGESE!!!!!! It's not like half the people on the list are speaking German. Like, chill out duuuude.... -ec http://center.ml.org <--- SEX AND VIOLENCE!! AT THE SAME TIME!! ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:39:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970318223904_953748958@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: NONRe: TMBG: language In a message dated 97-03-18 22:32:54 EST, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << -ec http://center.ml.org <--- SEX AND VIOLENCE!! AT THE SAME TIME!! >> Whoa, what is better than sex and violence at the same time? Spam? Pez? It's a tough call! joel "Just Peed in My Pants" Gedalius (REALLY!) tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 97 22:55:02 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: TMBG: german translation Message-Id: <970318.225831.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hello, all! my mom, who is fluent in german, translated that message for me, in case anyone is interested: >Is it the fault of my CD player or my impatience that I can't find the >secret piece on the FS. Or was Europe "blessed" again with a >"specially"indexed version? The piece can be seen (at/on) the ??? end >of the CD, but playing it endlessly brings me nothing. >With friendly greetings, >Uwe she also told me that Uwe is a male name. :D ***if anyone is going to the show at CALVIN COLLEGE in GRAND RAPIDS, MI please please please let me know!!! :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:00:31 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: language >I agree! Let's FLAME THE HELL OUT OF THIS GUY!!! IN PORTUGESE!!!!!! Epa', cuidado ze', tem gente aqui que podem fazer isso mesmo. (watchit dude, there are people here who could do that...) -Bob Gonsalves ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:21:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970319002126_1217668708@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs ad nauseum do ya suppose they'll start selling Their albums in drug stores along with vivarin Heh heh... right next to the Gleemonex. (If you did not understand that, ask Sarah) Enough fun and games. Send us those final OMLT orders *now*. Replies are trailing off. We will assume there is no more interest if we do not receive any more mail. E-mail christy@tmbg.org. Include: --Number and size of shirts requested --Name and address for shipping --Most-used e-mail address Cost will be between 9-10 dollars not including shipping. Sizes are L, XL, possibly M (if not available, you will get a large). XXL is an extra buck fifty. Yes, you can get one if you live outside the US. No, we will not trade for bootlegs. No, we will not marry you. We are shoes, for crying out loud. Yes, the OMLT Goddess is recovering, but she is still not allowed near the keyboard for at least another week. All this honeymoon talk might just drive her back over the edge. So get it out of your systems NOW, people! In case anyone cares, we shoes have designed a little OMLT surprise with the help of a sucker human. Visit www.foo.org/jon/listskull.jpg and see a possible design to be emblazoned upon the front pocket of the shirt. E-mail us with comments. Oh, and we guess you might as well look at Jon's site while you're there. There are some neato Taste of DC photos which our beloved Goddess took in October. --Christy's Shoes ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 23:00:51 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLTs ad nauseum Message-ID: On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > In case anyone cares, we shoes have designed a little OMLT surprise with the > help of a sucker human. Visit www.foo.org/jon/listskull.jpg and see a > possible design to be emblazoned upon the front pocket of the shirt. E-mail Ooo! I like. I like almost as much as the #13 lady design. :) -Lani O:) (me like skull) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-78 *****************************