Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 8 Thursday, 9 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: nothing important TMBG: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. Re: TMBG: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. Re: TMBG: 6th album TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Re: TMBG: Irving plaza tickets? Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-6 Re: TMBG: nothing important Non-TMBG: Re: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. Re: TMBG: OMLT Reminders! Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Re: TMBG: Gladly the Cross I Bear TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-7 TMBG: Somebody draw the hat logo. Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-6 TMBG: Factory Showroom & Gambier Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion Re: TMBG: Muppets & Birdhouse TMBG: 1/02 show in Denver TMBG: MTV on mute... TMBG: We're tiny, We're toony. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:00:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970108085949_1957596341@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: nothing important can we drop the religion crap already? what if They're jewish.... what if They're fucking Buddhists. What difference does it MAKE? okay. Now that that's off my chest.. Question about the digest-- did the "------------------------------" bit in between messages go away for a while and resurge, or am I going crazy? Hey! On the BNL ng, they're pondering that the BNL new years' appearance was pre recorded. Coincidence? Maybe Conan's audio people are paranoid. >>Evan, who is broke, so I won't give you my 2 cents<< sarah, giving you my pocket-lint-and-jolly-rancher in place of 2 cents.. ;) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199701081420.JAA22885@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:20:18 -0500 (EST) It's clear to me we're not going to get people to agree to this chord thing as it stands now, so I wanted to add another side of the story. I got a chord submission today that was very well formatted, one of the best I've received in a week or two. However, if you look at it you'll see that it's still not quite web site ready. Anyway, to see the song and my major complaints visit http://www.tmbg.org/test/ again. It's in plain ASCII so everyone should be able to see it. You'll even get a new song out of the deal. :-) Let me know what you think of my complaints, and the formatting of this song. Oh, please don't be too hard on it, like I said this guy did a much better job than average. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:19:53 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Jan-97 TMBG: Let me try this chord.. by Leo Bicknell@ufp.org > Anyway, to see the song and my major complaints > visit http://www.tmbg.org/test/ again. It's in plain ASCII > so everyone should be able to see it. You'll even get a new > song out of the deal. :-) Let me know what you think of my > complaints, and the formatting of this song. I like the format, but try to keep it to 80 columns. It's absolutely impossible to read if what is supposed to be one line stretches across two... (not to mention I think some of the chords in that example were not quite right, either... I have a different version and it still sounds decent) as for the second verse thing, I think that's not a problem - especially in a song like Spiraling Shape, where most lines have a Bb, Eb, Cm, F progression, which, given time, people will just memorize. (at least I did after playing it a few times) I think it's almost counterproductive, in this case, to include the lyrics - most TMBG fans who are trying to learn the music to their songs are most likely not going to have trouble with the words. So I wouldn't really need to look at the second verse at all... there's my... whatever it's up to now. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701081534.AA03125@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: 6th album Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:34:11 -0500 (EST) Oops, that was a slip up indeed. I meant to say 6th, not 5th. Sowwy. Matt > > Freudian slip there I assume Matt! I assume it's studio album numero > six?! > > Cheers and Beers > 10000ft Septic > > >---------- > >From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@greed.loyola.edu] > >Sent: Wednesday, 08 January, 1997 11:44 AM > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: 6th album > > > >> >. I guess just > >> >saying "Factory Showroom is the fifth TMBG record" and "it >sounds like > >>them" > >> > >> > >> Uh, it's Their seventh album is it not? > >Actually, it's their fifth studio album. Misc T isn't really considered > >an album, it was just a collection of b-sides and remixes. > >Matt > >-- > >Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) > >------------------------------------------------------------------- > >Matt James > >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" > >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > > > -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Message-Id: <199701081606.KAA28280@johniac.austin.ibm.com> Subject: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:06:44 -0600 (CST) Harlan Landes writes: > Is this show 6/17/88 or 6/17/89? Different sources say different things! Is > there a definitve answer? And if you have one, are you SURE!? Since there is "Flood" material on it, it's almost certainly not from 1988. -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "Ignore the mountain of discarded falderal" -- TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701081611.AA03335@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:11:10 -0500 (EST) > > Harlan Landes writes: > > Is this show 6/17/88 or 6/17/89? Different sources say different things! Is > > there a definitve answer? And if you have one, are you SURE!? > > Since there is "Flood" material on it, it's almost certainly not from 1988. I dunno, I've heard some early tapes, '87 and '88 where they play some Flood songs. Remember, a bunch of songs dating even to A18 were originally written back in the day (when they first started). I think Your Racist Friend was an early one. I don't know exactly when they were all written,though. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 12:54:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970108121405_1224490822@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving plaza tickets? I, too, have been watching for irv plaza info -- yes they will (should) be on ticketmaster-racket, but are not yet on sale per their concert info line (as you probably know). I went by irving plaza yesterday when the box office was supposedly open -- but apparently they were napping. I plan to visit again soon and will report any findings. -- jen. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:10:06 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Message-ID: > > > > Harlan Landes writes: > > > Is this show 6/17/88 or 6/17/89? Different sources say different things! Is there a definitve answer? And if you have one, are you SURE!? Well, I'm confident the show is from 1988 since they announce repeatedly the upcoming release of Lincoln, and as we know, that record was released in 1988. Out of all the evidence the show provides for either year, that is the most persuasive for the 1988-argument, and I am labelling it as a 1988 show. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Sort of like smashing yourself in the face 30 or 40 times ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:25:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Jan-97 Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? by Matthew James@envy.loyol > I dunno, I've heard some early tapes, '87 and '88 where they play some > Flood songs. > Remember, a bunch of songs dating even to A18 were originally written > back in the day (when they first started). I think Your Racist Friend > was an early one. I don't know exactly when they were all > written,though. Well, I don't think Istanbul started showing up until 1989, so it's most likely from 1989. Your Racist Friend is an older song, and originally only had one verse and ended after the instrumental and refrain... Letterbox is pretty old, too, but they don't usually play songs for more than a year before they're released. The only exceptions I know of are Siftin', which they used to open with on the Flood/pre-Flood tour, and Why Does the Sun Shine, which they played in 1987, but didn't release until 1993, not to mention numerous covers they've done. The John Henry stuff didn't start showing up until fall/winter 1993. With an album out every two years, it's also unlikely that they'll start playing new songs while they're still promoting the previous album - not to mention the fact that a lot of these songs were on Dial-a-Song first, and then usually not too far ahead of their release, but in tremendously different forms often. There are also certain Flood songs that didn't start appearing until Fall of 1989 - Birdhouse in Your Soul, Dead, Particle Man, Twisting, and Whistling in the Dark are good examples. Istanbul, Your Racist Friend, Letterbox, Hot Cha, and Sapphire Bullets appeared earlier than that. And Lucky Ball & Chain, We Want a Rock, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, and Road Movie to Berlin didn't appear (as far as I know) until after Flood was released. Kind of like with John Henry, which was recorded in March of 1994, but only certain songs were played in the pre-release concerts - I haven't heard of them playing Subliminal, Out of Jail, Stomp Box or The End of the Tour at all before it was released. And the same goes for Factory Showroom's Metal Detector (of course, that one they didn't figure out how to play live until after the release) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 97 19:33:21 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-6 > normally have MTV on mute, just as background, so I don't >know for sure >what the song sounds like. MTV on mute?????? What's the point???? Ryan .sig file still pending ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970108145138.00695ce4@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:51:41 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: nothing important >>>what if They're fucking Buddhists.<<< Well, does anyone know what relgion Their signifigant others' are? (Man, that was terrible. Delete this now) Sorry, -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970108145614.006953f0@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:56:17 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Re: Let me try this chord thing from another angle. > >there's my... whatever it's up to now. > $10, I think, plus tax... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970108145919.00692e6c@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:59:21 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Reminders! >Second: Thanks to all who have already written (that's about 40 of you so >far). Please do not ask me about design information because I am not in >charge of design. If you wrote requesting a design deadline... well, you >might as well start now, because sooner is better. But again, I am not in >charge. Also, I have received quite enough barnyard noises and marriage >proposals to last a lifetime! :) I'll be in charge of design! If you want information ask me and I'll make something up (not a bad thing, it'll be good BS) If you've got A design, send it to me, and I'll keep all of them and put up a web page. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970108150442.00697180@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 15:04:44 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: 1988 or 1989!?!? >With an album out every two years, it's also unlikely that they'll start >playing new songs while they're still promoting the previous album Older They Got Lost Other ones, Maybe I know (Album Worthy? Nah...) Or would this be considered the pre-Post-FS ALbum Tour? And since their touring all the time, who's to say when one tour begins and the other Tour Ends? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970108144053.00696c14@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:41:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Gladly the Cross I Bear >> Ah, TMBG, with their grand tradition of slipping in references to other >> songs in their own songs... > >12/14/96, they led in to Ana Ng from The Guitar very smoothly, and then >during the two measure instrumental between two of the final refrains, >played the bass line from The Guitar - to loud cheers from the audience. > Does anyone know if they've done such a thing before? It seems that >usually they don't mix their songs like that... they'll play one then >another, etc... like they wouldn't suddenly break into No One Knows My >Plan in the middle of Your Racist Friend (even though that would be very >cool), or start playing Nightgown of the Sullen Moon inside New York >City (they're in the same key, anyway) > Or Stompbox/Dig My Grave... (Someone's doing that for the Cover Comp?) Or just something cool would be for Them to play When it Rains It Snows *really* soft, then play Dig My Grave *really* loud and fast. >What I'm waiting to hear some time is, instead of singing/saying "I >don't want the world, I just want your half" in Ana Ng, replace it with >a deep organ sound and a whispered "Fingertips.... Fingertips!" This reminds me, I think they should do that sort of thing with SenSurround. instead of having the Ba Bas or the funk thing, they could do other songs, like Hey Jude. (I think it would be neat: "make it better, better, better, better, better, better DADADADADADADADA If I could swim under the ocean...") Or sticking fingertips in there would be cool. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 97 20:11:30 UT From: "Kathy " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-7 > I never heard of a song called "Gladly the Cross I Bear" >until just a >few days ago. Now I'm curious. What is this song, and about >how does it >go? Doh! I always thought it was "Glady the Cross-Eyed Bear" Ryan Hamilton * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- THIS IS NOT A .SIG FILE!!!!!!!!!!! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:20:56 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Somebody draw the hat logo. Message-ID: Someone, please draw the new four-oval logo that's on the hat in a good paint program, someone with artistic talent hopefully. Then incorporate it into a OMLT design. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <32d42d1e485b002@gold.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-6 Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:26:21 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Kathy and Ryan: > MTV on mute?????? > What's the point???? Eye candy. -CB, who has never had the luxury of cable TV in his home. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970109000556.006653d8@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 19:05:56 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom & Gambier Happy 2nd Wednesday of 1997! Well I'm back from X-mas break, so I've rejoined the list. Hope your vacation was as laid back as mine. :) Santa finally came to his senses this year. This is the first year that I have asked for a TMBG album for X-mas and actually got one! Woo-hoo! I got Factory Showroom. And I was pleasently surprised by it, actually. From notes I had read last year on here, most people hated FS. The complaints I read ranged from too mainstream to a change in style. Well, the mainstream thread is dead and I didn't notice that much difference from the style of FS and A18. I must admit there are some songs I cannot stand on FS. Exquisite Dead Guy, for one. The song just turns my stomach. Yuck. Still, Till My Head Falls Off is rockin, How Can I Sing Like a Girl is cool, Metal Detector is outstanding, and New York City is peppy. XTC vs. Adam Ant and Spiraling Shape are not too shabby either. Of the 4 albums I have of TMBG, FS ties for 2nd. Here's my ranking and reasons: #1)Apollo 18 - The 1st 10 songs on here great and excellent and not one of them is a loser. I could listen to each of them 99 times a day and not get tired of them. The last 4 songs (or is that 24) are rad as well. #2)Factory Showroom - The review is in the above paragraph. & Flood - So it's the one that hooked me. Dead is a bit annoying after the 2nd play and Hearing Aid and Saphire Bullets of Pure Love are a little too bizare. #4)The pink album - All I can say is if this was the 1st TMBG CD I heard, I would not be a fan today, guarenteed. Maybe 4 songs. Maybe. Another quibble about the way people knock TMBG albums. I have found that I can find a lot more decent songs on a TMBG album than on another artist's. For example: I bought B-52's Good Stuff album because I liked that song, Good Stuff. When I got it home, I only liked 3 out of the 10 songs. But with a They CD (except Pinkie) I find more winners then duds. Anyone else find this to be true? Oh, and on another topic entirely, I saw TMBG were coming back to Ohio for what looked like their last stop of the tour. I'm pretty sure it said it was at Gambier, OH at Kenyon College, 4/26/97. I am pretty positive I'm going to try and go. The only reason I'm bringing this up now is because I have no idea where Gambier is. So if anyone has a clue when tickets will be available and where, please drop me a line. By the way, my permanent address is in Westerville, Ohio, just outside Columbus. So if you know where Gambier is from there, any info would be appreciated. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:13:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970108170851_1325181273@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Redundancy...Religion >>Also, it is possible that Linnel is. For example, my last name, GEDALIUS, >>does not sound Jewish, more like Greek, but actually an Old Testament king or >>something was named Gedaliah, henceforth my last name. Maybe Linnel is also >>from the Bible or just a name that was brought about. >It's been said, I believe, that Linnell himself lamented about being the >only non-Jew growing up where he did. >> Okay, I guess I was just shooting too far! :) We still have to find out about Flans Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 19:59:14 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Muppets & Birdhouse Message-ID: > I just thought of this: Wouldn't it be funny if someone danced a Muppet to > Birdhouse? I just got a copy of Flood and the picture of a long-legged and > long-necked fuzzy muppet bobbing its head to the beat of Birdhouse.... > That might be kind of funny, if you think about it long enough. It > would've been perfect if They'd appeared on the original Muppet Show. > I don't know. It just seems very easy to picture. It might be, though, the > hypnosis induced by a lavalamp.... Speaking of which, did any of you out there send a letter to Muppet's Tonight when I posted the address? Did anyone get a response? does anyone even remember that? Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:21:02 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: 1/02 show in Denver Message-ID: Well, e'en though it's been a week since I saw the show, I thought I should write about it anyway. First, the opening band sucked. They were a local band, and they may have been good if I could have heard the lyrics. But nooo, they had to turn the volume up until you couldn't hear a jet plane taking off. How they got the plane in such a tiny theater is beyond me. But the one cool thing about the opening band (the Reejers they were called) ws that the lead singer had a really neat folk guitar that he played. But it was still too loud. As we waited for Them, I talked a bit with my two friends whom I came down with. One fo them, Andy, also invited 4 of his cousins and his older brother, so we took up quite a bit off room there. Anyway, around 9:00, the concert started at 8, They came out. Mabye it was 9:15. They didn't really play a song while entering, but started off with James K. Polk. Then they played about 2 more songs (it's been a week and I don't have a set list) until Flans noticed the amps were screwed. He gave a littl speech about "never renting amps" as well as "the amp's fucked (cheering) -- that's a technical term. Excuse me as I fix this piece of shit behind me"He then proceeded to mess with it while Linnel and the others played an odd song I've never heard before. don't think it was on of Theirs, but.. So then Flans went off about how "TMBG deliver's quality, and we aren't doing that. There's a sort of plateau one reaches in the music industry. And TMBG likes to float right above that line." Also no Metal Detector, no EDG, and S-E-X-X-Y was saved for the second encore (along with birdhouse, I believe) Flans also had some new song called "Factory Showroom" that he sang in a flasetto. It was pretty cool. Once, they played some oldies song that I forget the name of now as they told a story about singing to get some lunch money. They also asked one of the guards what their first song they bought was so they could try to play it. Of course, they didn't know it, so Flans suggested "new lyrcis and new music. they'll never know". I also met this guy Jedidiah, who was making a recording (they frisked all of us -- you'll never guess where he hid the recorder!) and said he'd send me a copy. We then spent the next 20 minutes waiting outside with another psycho lady (she loves Linnel!) who actually got to talk to him last time! but we had to leave twice. Once because of the same guard, and once because our ride was leaving. Oh well, for my first They concert, and my second total, it was incredible. People were making triangles out of their fingers and waving slowly on Particle Man and these guys had a cool dance for She's actual Size. Well, that's about it, so I'll be going. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701090338.WAA08733@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: MTV on mute... Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:38:30 -0500 (EST) > MTV on mute?????? > What's the point???? > > One might well ask the same of MTV with the sound ON... m@t ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 02:01:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970108232611_1991274317@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: We're tiny, We're toony. I was watching Tiny Toons today, and the music video episode was one. (the one w/ the two TMBG songs) I had seen this before, but this time I noticed that during part of Istanbul, two of the characters were slightly altered to look like John and John. I thought that was pretty cool. Also, what is the difference between She Was a Hotel Detective and (She Was a) Hotel Detective. The songs are totally different, and there are the parenthesis, but why? Can anyone explain this? Guava Boy9 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-8 ****************************