Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-80 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 80 Friday, 21 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Yet another They dream.. TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! Re: TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! TMBG: St. Pete Show TMBG: Play ANA Re: TMBG: Video Compilation 1 TMBG: Super-Duper important thing that must be read! RE: TMBG: Boston? (none) TMBG: TMBG Video Bootlegs--Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 TMBG: Tmbg: Depression/emotions RE: TMBG: THEN RE: TMBG: Mid-east shows TMBG: chuggy, wdtss, vid comp 2 Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti dep., AKA DRIVER! TMBG: rare singles Re: TMBG: Yet another They dream..(my turn) RE: TMBG: Boston? TMBG: Cards Page Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story/POLK RE: TMBG: Boston? TMBG: real Bread Hair TMBG: Re: mst3k movie TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti d TMBG: danlin TMBG: and again........ Re: TMBG: danlin TMBG: New stuff on the CARDS page TMBG: TMBG-Where in St Louis are John and John? TMBG: TMBG Concert TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia TMBG: He says it is his broom.. Re: TMBG: Boston? Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia TMBG: tmbger's how goes it..? TMBG: TMBG on Aust TV TMBG: Fw: They MIGHT be..., TMBG: Powder Blue Accordion TMBG: Comedy Central TMBG: Comedy Central Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 03:17:02 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Yet another They dream.. Message-ID: Well, since this is the first time in months I've had a dream with Them in it, I'm going to torture the whole list with all the gory details..(muhahaha) It started out at the Internet Cafe I work at. My boss had (for some reason) a whole wall of band-related things. Pictures and the like. All different bands, a whole lot of whom I've never heard of. Pinned to his cabinet was a new one- A bunch of TMBG stuff, some of which was specfically mine. Needless to say, I claimed it. Turns out it was pictures. Some Flans, but mostly Linnell. Some of Linnell's wife, who was a brunette in my dream. It was neat, 'cause just when you thought there weren't any more pictures, you'd find a previously hidden flap and bam! More pictures. Then Linnell came in to the cafe. He got coffee (surprise surprise), and then took all our broken biscotti cookies for his wife. He didn't give me enough money to cover all of it, but I was willing to weather the boss, 'cause you know, he's Linnell. We talked for a few minutes, and then my fiancee woke me up with flowers. (No, not in the dream. He really woke me up from it.) Linnell was very happy in this dream. Even in the pics, he looked happy. So, there it is. Boring, but a They dream. I'm not complaining. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:47:34 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! Message-ID: tmbgirl asked: > And now, time for the random question of the day: > What IS the world's address?????? Why, it's www.tmbg.org, of course! Jesse told us: > I've always found Stabbing Westward to be good music for depression. > Well, at least relationship-related depression. Wow, that band is so intense.....I get the urge to stalk people when I listen to them. When I get depressed, however, I listen to Air Supply and make myself even more depressed :) (And yes, that's the *only* time I listen to Air Supply) Evan seems to think: >>It's VERY cheap for a double CD. CDs usually run $14-$19 each, retail. >>Double-CD's often run $35-40, but are sometimes as low as $30 or so. > > What state are you shopping in? > CDs here (Ohio) are $12 (more expensive at smaller stores) > Double CDs are usually $25 (Each Star Wars CD was $30 then dropped to > $20 when the next onbe came out... whatever that's worth) What state are *you* shopping in? Do we live in a different plane of Ohio, Evan, because everything you say seems to be so not-true for me :) 'Round here, CD's are priced normally at $15-$18 and double CD sets.... well, I honestly don't know. But my point is, are you sure you're living in Ohio? I had my *first* ever TMBG dream last night! Of course, I don't remember very much of it so I'm not going to say anything more than I met Linnell and it was extremely weird. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Always try to do things in chronological order; it's less confusing that way. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:17:03 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! Message-ID: Amy said that Evan said that: > > CDs here (Ohio) are $12 (more expensive at smaller stores) > > Double CDs are usually $25 (Each Star Wars CD was $30 then dropped to > > $20 when the next onbe came out... whatever that's worth) > What state are *you* shopping in? Do we live in a different plane of > Ohio, Evan, because everything you say seems to be so not-true for me :) > 'Round here, CD's are priced normally at $15-$18 and double CD sets.... > well, I honestly don't know. But my point is, are you sure you're living > in Ohio? Well, as a fellow Ohioan, I'm going to have to side with Evan on this one. Maybe Evan and I are just lucky to be living near cool record stores (even if we DO live an hour and a half away from each other), but I don't know. The prices that Evan quoted seem pretty close to what I pay for stuff in Ohio. St. Louis is kind of close to that, too....okay, that was pretty pointless. See ya. Bill Tatalovich, who has been staying up entirely too late working on the survey web page... wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And there's a chance that things will get weird Yeah, that's a possibility..." --Archers of Loaf ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 05:00:32 -0500 (EST) From: Death Incarnate Subject: TMBG: St. Pete Show Message-Id: I was wondering if anyone plans on attending the show at Jannus Landing, and if so, would they like to meet before the show or goto denny's afterwards, or something to that effect.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970320125325.00aa0ef0@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:53:25 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Play ANA >Ok, only 2 encores, not 3 like I previously reported. I really wanted to >hear Ana, Statue, DLStart, End Tour, but was totally out of luck. OK, if there's anyone that reads this that can have an input into the Sydney setlists... MAKE SURE THEY PLAY ANA NG!!! And Statue Got Me High would be ultra cool too... Let's hope, Royce. Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & Sun 23rd of March 6pm & & Cat & Fiddle Hotel $5 & & 456 Darling Street Balmain & & with The Flat Earth (5pm) & &http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 07:47:00 -0500 (EST) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: Video Compilation 1 Message-ID: On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Coyote wrote: > I just got the Video compilation 2, and it rocks! erp! Sorry for confusing everybody.. I was in a rush when I wrote that. I meant Video _bootleg_ Vol.2 .. gr. Don't I feel stupid. -Adam ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ we've tried to wash our hands of all of this we never talk of our lacking relationships and how we're guilt stricken sobbing with our heads on the floor we fell through the ice when we tried not to slip we'd say -Verve Pipe *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ------------------------------ Message-id: <3138149@hanover.VALLEY.NET> Date: 20 Mar 97 09:39:39 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Super-Duper important thing that must be read! Ok people, I was given the happiness of doing TMBG for a topic paper. Now, I know this is simmilar to Bill's, but please fill out this survey and give it to me, not the list. Name: Age: Gender: Where you live: First time TMBG was heard: First TMBG album heard: Please Rank the following from one to ten: Pink Album: Lincoln: Flood: Misc. T: Apollo 18: John Henry: Factory Showroom: Favorite TMBG song(s): 5 Words you'd use to describe TMBG: Favorite Author(s): Favorite Movie(s): Favorite TV show(s): ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:43:21 -0500 (EST) From: Coyote Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: > Hello. > I just bought my tickets to see them in Boston! see you there. > Olivia Yeah! Perhaps we should all meet up or something? ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ we've tried to wash our hands of all of this we never talk of our lacking relationships and how we're guilt stricken sobbing with our heads on the floor we fell through the ice when we tried not to slip we'd say -Verve Pipe *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:48:36 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Message-ID: I have my jannus landing ticket (st pete) and will also be getting a ticket to the Moon (in tallahassee) as soon as Ticketmaster manages to put it in their computers...anyone else going to either of those? I was thinking about making a big sign that says Polka on it, so that they'll play it--I've been dying to hear it live...also, for the tally show, I was thinking they should play Destination Moon...or something... okay, I go now...I been here four hour.... shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:02:43 -0700 From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Message-Id: <199703201502.IAA10707@btc.btc.adaptec.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootlegs--Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 re: TMBG Video Bootlegs Hello, I'm the guy who has been making the bootleg videos. (Almost 200 of Vol. 1 so far, and about 55 of Vol. 2. Expenses--just shy of $2000 right now.) I'm asking people for $8.50 each per (HG) tape and $6.50 each per (cheap) tape. If you want either tape, just send the $$ to my address below. Details are on my geocities web page--Check it out! Check it totally out! Russ Josephson WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 6150 Lookout Rd. 1217 N Aspen Dr Boulder, CO 80301 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 516-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 581-1088 mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 P.S. If you got a video from me in the past month and find that the first few seconds of each segment are unviewable and then the picture gets clear again, contact me about getting a replacement. For some reason if I copy from machine A->B this happens, but not when I copy form B->A. So I swapped the cables. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:27:33 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: TMBG: Tmbg: Depression/emotions Message-Id: You know, the funny thing about the music I listen to when I am depressed, is happy like Fountains of Wayne, and TMBG, or atleast it has upbeat sounds, *some TMBG songs have very depressing lyrics, i.e., "they'll need a crane"*, and then the music I listen to when I am happy is depressing stuff like Smashing PUmpkins and One by Metallica. I guess that just emphasizes how weird I am especially since I stay depressed or happy HUH?! -Joyce Joyce, the struggling poet who finds poety in struggling... frostjo@math.enmu.edu "For this is the thing the priests do not know, with their One God and One Truth; that there is no such thing as a true tale. Truth has many faces and the truth is like the road to Avalon; it depends on your own will, and your own thoughts..." -Morgaine (x) "The Mists of Avalon" ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: THEN Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:02:35 -0800 Seattle. 'nough said. (: >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ee.net] >Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 3:14 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: RE: TMBG: THEN > >At 11:25 AM 3/19/97 -0800, McClusky, Jesse wrote: >>It's VERY cheap for a double CD. CDs usually run $14-$19 each, retail. >>Double-CD's often run $35-40, but are sometimes as low as $30 or so. > >What state are you shopping in? > >CDs here (Ohio) are $12 (more expensive at smaller stores) >Double CDs are usually $25 (Each Star Wars CD was $30 then dropped to $20 >when the next onbe came out... whatever that's worth) > >-ec >http://center.ml.org <--- OUT OF ORDER > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Mid-east shows Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:05:00 -0800 >---------- >From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET[SMTP:Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET] >Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 6:41 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Mid-east shows > >WDTSS is on no TMBG album. I find that mildly disturbing, considering it's >not >planned to be on one, yet it's a regualr concert song WDTSS is a single EP. the EP's named after it. Plus, you can still get the WDTSS EP brand-new from CDNow. (: Jesse ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:22:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320132156_247688790@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: chuggy, wdtss, vid comp 2 >REPLACE [CHUGGY] Hmm? New song?? Oh wait.. "Replacements"? But what's "chuggy"?? >WDTSS is on no TMBG album. I find that mildly disturbing, >considering it's not planned to be on one, yet it's a regualr >concert song But it is on it's own album. An ep of a non-single. Gotta admire them for doing that... >I just got the Video compilation 2, and it rocks! WHAT???? WHERE?????? Or are you talking about the "video bootleg vol 2"? sarah. is not your broom. linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html mstie #77216 ~ tmbger #45127 "Coffee has been very good to me." - Dave Foley ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199703201842.NAA08819@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti dep., AKA DRIVER! Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:42:24 -0500 (EST) > > I just got a tmbg info club catolog today in the mail. It's > >pretty neat. It has all the lyrics to factory showroom and > >some interpretations. > Just got it toDAY? How long have you been subscribed?? Just recently? Or did > it take them that long to send to you? > I've been "subscribed" for about eight years, and I *still* haven't received the info club mailing in question, so I don't think there's a correlation (but I'm still unhappy about it)... m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970320191425.006a2d48@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:14:25 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: rare singles >I'm "NaoyuKing" in Japan, and this is my first post to this list. Hi NaoyuKing! *nicole waves* >BTW, if anyone can get these THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS singles for me, >either sell or trade, please email me. > > I Palindrome I [CD-5: 92.05 US Elektra (Warner) 66425-2] > The Guitar [CD-5: 92.07 US Elektra (Warner) 66394-2 (digipak)] > >I'm waiting for a good reply... Oy... Unfortunately, I can't give you one. These singles are out of print. I recommend finding a good used-music store--they might have copies left. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The smell of love is everywhere." --They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:28:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320142850_953933007@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet another They dream..(my turn) I had a dream about They last night... They had a concert at some building. The actual concert was in a gym. I got there early and I saw Linnell sitting in a room. I went in and started chatting with him. He was really nice. He autographed like everything of mine. I started interviewing him. One question I asked him that I remember was: I can't think of any TMBG songs about playing cards. Did you ever write any? He said that there aren't any released, but there was one about a jack of clubs. He played it for me, and I commented about how great it was. I said it should be a DAS song. He said he'd talk to Flans about it. I then opened up a door to a closet, and there were like 200 people inside. That was the way to get to the seats for the concert. I cut through the whole line (as I did at the 2/21 concert =) ). And that was about it. They even included the card song in the concert. Joel "Dazed, Confused and still Peeing" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:21:30 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: Okay...so this is my question: Since all you guys are going to this concert Im assuming youve been to other concerts in this area. (i.e. Hatchshell Paradise Lupos) SO..theres this kid!!!! Ive seen him at every damn concert..even at Toads in New Haven. Hes really tall and thin wears glasses and kinda dresses up for the shows and always wears a hat....many different hats..but not all at the same time. He was at the Hatchshell concert and he was there with his friends early to get up front just like me and my friends and he was leaning on the gate up front and I said to him "what are you the Gatekeeper er sumthin?" and he holds his hand up and said "No one must pass" And that is the extent of the conversation I had with him. So know me and my friends call him the Gatekeeper and we want to know who he is.Do any of you guys know?? Katie On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Coyote wrote: > > > Hello. > > I just bought my tickets to see them in Boston! see you there. > > Olivia > > Yeah! Perhaps we should all meet up or something? > > ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ > we've tried to wash our hands of all of this > we never talk of our lacking relationships > and how we're guilt stricken sobbing with our > heads on the floor > we fell through the ice when we tried not to slip > we'd say > -Verve Pipe > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Cards Page Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:13:13 -0800 Okay folks, my account got straightened out. The cards page (http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/) will be updated tonight. (: Jesse ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:20:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320151825_1915982893@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story/POLK Royce M. Lee wrote: << POLK Uncensored >> POLK uncensored? What does thew censored version sound like? /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > < 1. Make race car noises when anyone gets on or off. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:57:33 -0800 >--------- >From: Katherine Johnson[SMTP:katie@argo.net] >Sent: Thursday, March 20, 1997 11:21 AM >To: Coyote >Cc: McClusky, Jesse; (*); 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' >Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? > >Okay...so this is my question: >Since all you guys are going to this concert Im assuming youve been to >other concerts in this area. (i.e. Hatchshell Paradise Lupos) SO..theres >this kid!!!! Ive seen him at every damn concert..even at Toads in New >Haven. Hes really tall and thin wears glasses and kinda dresses up for >the shows and always wears a hat....many different hats..but not all at >the same time. He was at the Hatchshell concert and he was there with his >friends early to get up front just like me and my friends and he was >leaning on the gate up front and I said to him "what are you the >Gatekeeper er sumthin?" and he holds his hand up and said "No one must >pass" And that is the extent of the conversation I had with him. So know >me and my friends call him the Gatekeeper and we want to know who he >is.Do any of you guys know?? > >Katie Just a silly Seattlite talking here, but why don't you go up to him next time you see him and say, "Hi! My name's Katie. What's your name, so I don't have to keep referring to you as 'The Gatekeeper'?" (: Just a Thought. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:19:13 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: real Bread Hair Message-ID: this shed a different light on the term bread hair... I was up late last night, studying and waiting for my song on the radio, and eating this meat filled bread product when I found a hair in there. No, it wasn't my hair, because this hair was actually embedded in the bread, and not only that, but the hair was short and brown... definitely not my hair. uh, yuck. Pumpernickel-doo for you. EKao Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, ocean storm, bayberry moon. I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:46:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320163457_-1337601840@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: mst3k movie MST3K:TM, my birthday, and the new issue of Fangoria all arrive on April 8th. :-) Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199703202208.RAA19042@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 20 Mar 1997 16:09:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: Address, depression, CD prices, and more! AG>What state are *you* shopping in? Do we live in a different plane of AG>Ohio, Evan, because everything you say seems to be so not-true for me :) AG>'Round here, CD's are priced normally at $15-$18 and double CD sets.... AG>well, I honestly don't know. But my point is, are you sure you're living AG>in Ohio? I think we're all learning a very important lesson in economics here. The same item can cost 50 to 60 percent more in one place than another. This all has to do with the costs of living in the particular area you are living in. I live in IL, but don't pay nearly as much for groceries or CD's as someone who lives in Chicago (though you do get paid more working in Chicago. I won't get in to all of that). TMBG related stuff: Can anyone who has any They music that hasn't been released (Dr. Spock, ect) and is willing to make tapes please respond to me privately? Thanks a bunch. Utopia One UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199703202208.RAA19056@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 20 Mar 1997 16:09:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti d CO>I've been "subscribed" for about eight years, and I *still* haven't CO>received the info club mailing in question, so I don't think there's CO>a correlation (but I'm still unhappy about it)... Is it me or is the infoclub a little slow/inconsistant sometimes? Utopia One UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:49:16 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: danlin Message-ID: Would Danlin please email me? Ellen Kao Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, ocean storm, bayberry moon. I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:07:35 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320180503_180682093@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: and again........ here is another post about rare tmbg singles... to the people in st. louis....do you know of a good cd store that has rare stuff... for instance....tmbg? you would be really neat if you did... ok...bye now ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:45:11 -0500 (EST) From: Dan McNevin Subject: Re: TMBG: danlin Message-ID: > Would Danlin please email me? is this for the problem with your mailbox, or something else... either way i'm mailing you back.. :) dan ___ dan mcnevin | danlin@underworld.net cold meat productions | danlin@pimpz.org www.underworld.net/~danlin | danlin@acquiesce.org i've got a world that swings... | danlin@the-beatles.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: New stuff on the CARDS page Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:02:00 -0800 Okay, other than updating the Cards page (http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/) tonight for the first time in a few weeks, I'll also be making an addition. I just got the "credits" translation script up and running, and tested, so there'll be a "credits" tab on the selection bar now. (: Something to note: I haven't gone through and corrected any number/etc changes that were made to the spreadsheet in the authors file, so some of the numbers or card names on the credits page may have changed. The final word is the card listing itself. The Official "John-Jesse-John Photoshoot" card. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3331F17A.10BB@swbell.net> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:24:58 -0800 From: Rosa Lopez Organization: the Legitimate Businessmen of Sugar Land Subject: TMBG: TMBG-Where in St Louis are John and John? >here is another post about rare tmbg singles...to the people in st. louis....do you know of a good cd store that has rare stuff... for instance....tmbg? Go either to Euclid Records or West End Wax. Vintage Vinyl's TMBG selection is average at best, sad to say. -Josh, a former StLouisan ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:57:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970320195710_-1672494348@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Concert I'm very happy that TMBG will finally be coming near me on April 9th! For me its been almost a year and a half since they last passed by my area. Its on a Wednesday which is a school night but I don't care.A wise teacher once said, and then repeated it again at varying times during the year, "A test can bury you or you can bury it." Maniac http://members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:53:13 +1000 Message-ID: <0003CD93.1646@dist.gov.au> From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia Well, since Royce is off on his adventure, I guess it falls to me to report on last nights show at the Australian National University Bar here in wonderful Canberra. Got there at 8:30 to find a *line*, when did this sort of thing start to happen? Anyway, got through that and the first thing I see is the T Shirt stand which had a couple of shirts available on tmbg.com and also the Australian tour shirt which I bought. I have a bone to pick though, I am not sure if there is anyone in a position of power here, but they left my home state off the map on the back, I know They aren't going there, but I still have major objections to wearing T-shirts that don't include Tasmania in a map. :) OK. While I was at the T-shirt stand pondering, a guy comes up to me and says "you must be a fan" (I had the snowman T-shirt on) and guess what - it was Royce! So I had a bit of a chat with him, and discussed how he could manage to fly all that way to see 5 TMBG shows. Then waited for the band who came on at about 10:40. I didn't write down a set list, it was pretty similar to the one in Brisbane, but here are most of the songs they played (going through the albums and trying to remember from last night) #3 32 Footsteps Rhythm Section Want Ad Where Your Eyes Don't Go Shoehorn Birdhouse Istanbul Particle Man Twisting Dig My Grave Actual Size Spider Guitar Sleeping in the Flowers Spy --> Broom Meet James Ensor No one Knows My Plan SEXXY Til my Head Falls Off Exquisite Dead Guy XTC v AA JK Polk Pet Name Older Personally I was disappointed with the set list. Maybe it was just me, but I think they might have played more off Lincoln, and they didn't play the best songs off FS (SS & Bells). While I love every TMBG song, there were certainly alot of the best ones missed out, and I think your average punter may have been disappointed. Royce said that people thought they were better last time (in 95) and I would have to agree with that. They got the cannon firing last night, confetti into the air and all that (I think that was at the start of Polk), and also they used the puppets for Dead Guy. I hope they don't fall into the trap of having too many gimmicks, they are too good a band musically, and they don't need them. The conga line didn't work at all, I think that could be a Canberra thing, because it didn't last time either, although that was probably because no one could move. There was much more space last night compared to 95. And to all those people who think Linnell looks at them during shows, he definitely does seem to look at spots in the crowd for a long time, but I think it is just how he concentrates. All in all I loved it but there was never any doubt about that, I was just disappointed in the set list, they only come out here once in a blue moon, and I would have thought some of their better (IMHO) songs could have got a run. I am unsubscribing today, as it is my last day here at work before I head to London to bum around for 9 months. So if you have any comments specific to this email, send them to the address below. Could someone in London (or anywhere else) please email me and let me know when they set date/s for London? I have a feeling I won't know where to look to find out. To: brettharrison@hotmail.com Cheers all Brett brettharrison@hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Message-ID: <19970320.203721.10438.1.istanbul@juno.com> From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:32:30 EST Hey, it just occured to me... Is there going to be a video or a single for the tribute album? Umm.... Dat's all... +++ This is Justin Smith's signature! +++ General E-mail: jsmith@e-tex.com TMBG, Tenchi, and SimCity stuff: istanbul@juno.com There has been a great proliferation of lawyers in the past 20 years, just as there has been a proliferation of computers. But unlike computers, lawyers do not get twice as intelligent and half as expensive every two years. --E. Burns ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703210313.OAA01027@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:13:10 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Brett Harrison...... i just thought i'd mention at this point that the simpletons were realy good as spport. i hadn't heard their stuff before (well didn't think i had but recognised that rocks/bullet song). i especially loved that recess/school type-one. > Then waited for the band who came on at about 10:40. I didn't write > down a set list, it was pretty similar to the one in Brisbane, but > here are most of the songs they played (going through the albums and > trying to remember from last night) > > #3 > 32 Footsteps > Rhythm Section Want Ad > Where Your Eyes Don't Go > Shoehorn > Birdhouse > Istanbul > Particle Man > Twisting > Dig My Grave > Actual Size > Spider > Guitar > Sleeping in the Flowers > Spy --> Broom > Meet James Ensor > No one Knows My Plan > SEXXY > Til my Head Falls Off > Exquisite Dead Guy > XTC v AA > JK Polk > Pet Name > Older and from memory counterfeit faker and the replacements. > Personally I was disappointed with the set list. Maybe it was just > me, but I think they might have played more off Lincoln, and they > didn't play the best songs off FS (SS & Bells). While I love every not to mention metal detector. though i still havea achace to hear em at the sydney shows :) i hadn't seen them ebfore, and well, beggars can't be choosers, i was happy with it...some definate surprises there for me. i also managed to pick up the guitar cd-single at a second hand shop in canberra for 3 dollars. an added bonus i feel. and really quickly before i forget to mention it, i saw royce talking to graham maby during the afternoon on the streets of canberra when i was wandering around lost trying to find my car. oh yeah, and i shook linnell's hand after the show also. i tried to talk one of the bouncers into getting me those pictures hung from string at the back of the stage, but he said he couldn't. bah humbug. well, i was happy, and am looking forward to the sydney shows in anticipation. tamara. oh yeah, check out the interview in this week's drum media too, if you haven't yet already. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <333202AD.4E5@ou.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:38:21 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: He says it is his broom.. This is taken from some guys homepage.. he claims to have written "I Am Not Your Broom". Somehow, I'm skeptical, but I want to have the credit aimed to who deserves it. Right now, my money's on Linnell.. mostly because he's half of the greatest and most creative band in the world and can do no wrong.. but also because this guys other misadventures chronicle his drunken puking spells. Hey, thought it was interesting. Heather Saturday, 9-28-96 "I am not your broom!" [This is a line Steve got from an R.E.M. song which he wrote a short song around. He sent a tape of it to They Might Be Giants and John Linnell, of the band, performed it!] ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 20:47:06 PST ---------- | >--------- | >From: Katherine Johnson[SMTP:katie@argo.net] | >Sent: Thursday, March 20, 1997 11:21 AM | >To: Coyote | >Cc: McClusky, Jesse; (*); 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' | >Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? | > | >Okay...so this is my question: | >Since all you guys are going to this concert Im assuming youve been to | >other concerts in this area. (i.e. Hatchshell Paradise Lupos) SO..theres | >this kid!!!! Ive seen him at every damn concert..even at Toads in New | >Haven. Hes really tall and thin wears glasses and kinda dresses up for | >the shows and always wears a hat....many different hats..but not all at | >the same time. He was at the Hatchshell concert and he was there with his | >friends early to get up front just like me and my friends and he was | >leaning on the gate up front and I said to him "what are you the | >Gatekeeper er sumthin?" and he holds his hand up and said "No one must | >pass" And that is the extent of the conversation I had with him. So know | >me and my friends call him the Gatekeeper and we want to know who he | >is.Do any of you guys know?? | > | >Katie | | Just a silly Seattlite talking here, but why don't you go up to him | next time you see him and say, "Hi! My name's Katie. What's your | name, so I don't have to keep referring to you as 'The Gatekeeper'?" (: | | Just a Thought. | | Jesse | And don't go judging the rest of us silly Seattlite's by Jesse's comments... he's definitely the silliest of them all. :) Michelle ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703210359.OAA21890@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:59:33 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" i also forgot to mention that linnell discovered he was a 'rock vampyre' last night because he could see every member of the band's relefection in the glass at the back of the bar except his. and flans made a comment about some person who could whistele louder than the pa system, which i thought was quite amusing. it had the opposite effect of getting evryone to start whistling though. hmmm. tamara. p.s. oh yeah, hi to the guy who is friends with the merv-hugh's moustachioed guy. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703210416.XAA04233@sleepy.ebtech.net> From: "um yea..it's Tara" Subject: TMBG: tmbger's how goes it..? Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:11:21 -0500 Was anyone at the TMBG concert in Toronto las October (around the 16ht I believe) when they opened for Hottie and the Blowfish (unfortuneately) I had ot miss it ( and I've never been to one...not good) anyone have any idea when they may be returning to Canada..there isn't anything on their website saying when they might be coming to our wonderful country (no offence to all those other wonderful countries) Tara the freak You can only be young once...but you can be immature forever..hehe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:45:03 +1100 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Aust TV Message-ID: Hi folks, At the concert last night (Cqnberra, 20/3) JL mentioned that they would be on TV tres early on Saturday morning. I am assuming that this will be on our great public broadcaster, but does anyone know anything else, like what time perhaps. More comments on the show later, but gotta love the puppets for Exquisite Dead Guy. Jason ***************************************************************************** I think the three most important lessons to be learned from "Star Trek" would be tolerance, cooperation and the need for good tailoring. Patrick Stewart ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: TMBG: Fw: They MIGHT be..., Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 22:31:26 PST I introduced a friend I met through the Ben Folds Five mailing list to TMBG (and he introduced me to Moxy Fruvous and Barenaked Ladies).... made him a compilation tape of a bunch of Their stuff. Anyhow, he sent me this e-mail today and I thought y'all might find it interesting.... | | Michelle... | | So here's a funny story you might appreciate: | | I went to Border's Tuesday night. I'd already bought Ben Folds, but there | was a few other things I was looking for that I didn't find earlier in the | day. | | So after picking out a few things, I'm at one of the listening stations | just killing some time... listening to all sorts of stuff (in case you | haven't heard them yet: beware of Spice Girls) and there's this one album | that sounds REALLY cool. I'm thinking, "sorta Ben Folds-ish, but not quite, | and with a bit more production. Cool!" | | One of the tracks sounded vaguely familiar, but I didn't recognize the name | of the CD in that spot, an album called Low Budget by a guy named Hank | Shizzoe. | | Well.. I liked it enough to take a chance and buy it... what the hell, it | was on sale. | | Next day (I had to wait to listen to it cause I bought a few others too) I | put it in.. and it is NOT what I was listening to at the store. It's | cool... sorta bluesy-country-folky, very sparse, mostly Guitars and | vocals... but not what I was expecting. | | So i go back to Border's so I can listen to it again, and find out what I | WAS listening too... thinking that I'd just picked up the wrong disc. | Well.. the disc was gone from the listening station.... I called the guy | over and he said, "Hmm... That's odd." I dont think they understood that I | wanted to know what used to be there... not what was suppposed to be in there. | | They all suggested it might have been the Spice Girls... or Bjork. It | wasn't. Eventually, someone remembered that ... somehow.. TMBG was in there | by mistake, abd she'd already taken it out (but hadn't been able to find | Hank Shizzoe to put in its place). | | So there... I guess I really do like them, but (of all things) they couldnt | find a single copy in the whole place for me to buy. | | But I AM going back. Oh yes.... | ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3331C7B5.51FF@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:26:45 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Powder Blue Accordion Dear Lads and Lasses o' Giants, I was in a music store yesterday and there was this shiny accordion with powder blue keys for $175 shining in all its glory for me to see. Now I am plotting to sell some other musical instrument so I can have the cash to buy it. Help me, I can't control my urge to be more like the Giants! I know I should be an original musician with my own ideas, but something in me just wants to sit around playing Giants covers. I guess I will end up in some back door bar happily playing Giants covers at 2:00 AM for four people, while "real artists" with "original ideas" are getting signed to multi-million dollar record deals! Peace in John and John, Bill "I'm Tourettes, He's Syndrome" Michalski ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 97 13:54:20 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Comedy Central One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this time in the form of "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get their own guest band! And so far I've recognized two bands from the commercials, 1. Mighty Mighty Bosstones (alright!) and 2. I'm trying to confirm this but I saw a guy playing a keyboard with hair parted down the middle, yes, I think perhaps, maybe, probably, it was Linnell! I'm trying to confirm this is what I saw, but I think it was indeed TMBG. The show is hip enough that they would do this. ASB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Mar 97 13:54:20 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Comedy Central One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this time in the form of "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get their own guest band! And so far I've recognized two bands from the commercials, 1. Mighty Mighty Bosstones (alright!) and 2. I'm trying to confirm this but I saw a guy playing a keyboard with hair parted down the middle, yes, I think perhaps, maybe, probably, it was Linnell! I'm trying to confirm this is what I saw, but I think it was indeed TMBG. The show is hip enough that they would do this. ASB ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-80 *****************************