Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-81 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 81 Saturday, 22 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Sydney Shows TMBG: re Brett comments Re: TMBG: Comedy Central Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti d Re: TMBG: Comedy Central TMBG: Re: viva variety TMBG: Then: the earlier years RE: TMBG: Boston? Re: TMBG: Powder Blue Accordion TMBG: TMBG on ABC TMBG: dewan in nyc (well does it SOUND tmbg related?) RE: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Re: TMBG: dewan in nyc (well does it SOUND tmbg related?) TMBG: Viva Variety pt. III Re: TMBG: Then: the earlier years TMBG: Cards - IGNORE ALL YOU CARD-HATERS!!! (: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans TMBG: Re: Video/Single for Tribute Album NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans TMBG: SEXYSINK.WAV RE:TMBG: Comedy Central NONTMBG: It's My Birthday Re: NONTMBG: It's My Birthday Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia RE: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Re: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too: Video Compilation TMBG: tmbg in melbourne aust. TMBG: Destination Moon Chord Guy TMBG: Concert $ Question TMBG: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question TMBG: Re: Flood Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question TMBG: The Flood Debacle TMBG: Flood Re: NONTMBG: It's My Birthday Re: TMBG: Re: Flood Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970321094129.00a165d8@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:41:29 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Sydney Shows >well, i was happy, and am looking forward to the sydney shows in >anticipation. Hey me too. On the Sunday night show, look for the dude with a Ben Folds Five, "Whatever and Ever Amen" shirt... That'll be me, all alone, no one to go with, trying to find friends. :) No, I'm not trying to find friends before I actually go there... BUT! If anyone sees me, SAY HI!!! BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & Sun 23rd of March 6pm & & Cat & Fiddle Hotel $5 & & 456 Darling Street Balmain & & with The Flat Earth (5pm) & &http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:15:35 +0100 Message-Id: <97032111153555@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: re Brett comments regarding what you said about people thinking that Linnell looks at them in the crowd, yes he does seem to blank out for a while but he does take notice of you! At different shows when I been right against the barrier he made some comment about a plant in the audience- you see I had green hair at the time and at another show when the crowd was a little excited and extreme poging was happening I was getting knocked around a little he was grinning at me All I can add is that when someone is about 5ft away from you, you should be able to tell if are looking at you or not, don't you think? yvs. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:20:45 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Comedy Central Message-ID: Yep, it's them. April 1st, watch out! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this time in > the form of > "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get their own guest band! > And so far I've recognized two bands from the commercials, 1. Mighty Mighty > Bosstones (alright!) and 2. I'm trying to confirm this but I saw a guy > playing a keyboard with hair parted down the middle, yes, I think perhaps, > maybe, probably, it was Linnell! I'm trying to confirm this is what I saw, > but I think it was indeed TMBG. The show is hip enough that they would do > this. > > ASB > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:54:47 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: I/Y, info club, Conan (non tmbg), anti d Message-ID: The slowness of the info club is not just in your imagination. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:06:51 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Comedy Central Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this time in > the form of > "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get their own guest band! > And so far I've recognized two bands from the commercials, 1. Mighty Mighty > Bosstones (alright!) and 2. I'm trying to confirm this but I saw a guy > playing a keyboard with hair parted down the middle, yes, I think perhaps, > maybe, probably, it was Linnell! I'm trying to confirm this is what I saw, > but I think it was indeed TMBG. The show is hip enough that they would do > this. > > ASB > Yes, that was Them, I saw it, too. Keep checking vivavariety.com for a schedule to find our when They're playing. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:08:34 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: viva variety Message-ID: >One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this >time in the form of "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get >their own guest band! I saw a few commericals for that too...i didnt notice the keyboard player, but i did spot Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo (sp?)...i got the impression that it was a joke, and that on april 1st (the day they said it permiers) they're gonna say 'april fools, its the ben stiller show' or something like that. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703211611.LAA30031@sleepy.ebtech.net> From: "um yea..it's Tara" Subject: TMBG: Then: the earlier years Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:06:32 -0500 Does anyone know exactly how many previously unreleased songs are gonna be on this album?? or some that aren't on any other albums? thanks bunches Tara the freak ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:07:07 -0800 >---------- >From: Me[SMTP:mms@wolfenet.com] >Sent: Friday, March 21, 1997 8:47 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse; 'Coyote'; 'Katherine Johnson' >Cc: '(*)'; 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' >Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston? > > > >| Just a silly Seattlite talking here, but why don't you go up to him >| next time you see him and say, "Hi! My name's Katie. What's your >| name, so I don't have to keep referring to you as 'The Gatekeeper'?" (: >| Jesse >And don't go judging the rest of us silly Seattlite's by Jesse's >comments... he's definitely the silliest of them all. :) > >Michelle Jesse, (Silly Party) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:42:53 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Powder Blue Accordion Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Richard E. Michalski wrote: > I guess I will end up in some back door bar happily playing Giants > covers at 2:00 AM for four people, while "real artists" with "original > ideas" are getting signed to multi-million dollar record deals! There's a place for those who love Their poetry--It's just across from the sign that reads 'pros only.' :) Bringing you useless posts and other fine products, -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:33:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321123333_1184443860@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on ABC tmbg-list@tmbg.org I don't know what "Recovery" is...But.. *** Subject: tmbg on recovery Date: 20 Mar 97 05:00:33 GMT Message-ID: <01bc34e2$d10bdc80$215c868b@default> For any Oz fans of the Johns - They will be appearing live on ABC TV's 'Recovery' (9am-12noon) Saturday March 22nd Apparently they will be playing live with their touring band and being interviewed as well!! Enjoy Mark *** sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:07:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321130721_1251514887@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: dewan in nyc (well does it SOUND tmbg related?) hi all! i saw mr dewan a few nights ago, he says he'll be playing CB's Gallery april 18th so mark your calanders and come on out!! i told him i'd announce it to "The Internet." "oh wow...." said he. :) he also played aerosmiths Walk This Way.. im still confused ~liz co-president, brian p dewan fan cult ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:25:22 -0800 >---------- >From: istanbul@juno.com[SMTP:istanbul@juno.com] >Sent: Thursday, March 20, 1997 6:32 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album > >Hey, it just occured to me... > >Is there going to be a video or a single for the tribute album? > >Umm.... Dat's all... There will most likely not be a single, unless some song stands WAY out above the rest (very doubtful). This doesn't take into account the singles put out by the groups submitting their renditions, however. There just will not be a single put together by us tribute album folk. However, there MAY be a video or two. Still to be decided, depending upon resources. Keep watching the Tribute Album page for details... Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:54:18 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: dewan in nyc (well does it SOUND tmbg related?) Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 GoodOmenz@aol.com wrote: > i saw mr dewan a few nights ago, he says he'll be playing CB's Gallery april > 18th so mark your calanders and come on out!! i told him i'd announce it to > "The Internet." "oh wow...." said he. :) he also played aerosmiths Walk > This Way.. im still confused > ~liz > co-president, brian p dewan fan cult Has anyone found anything out about this furniture he's s'posed to make yet? (Was anyone going to?) Not that I could buy any--I'm just interested in what it looks like. Seeing that it "graces some of NY's finest homes" hardly makes me think it would make any appearances in "some of Seattle's crappiest apartments." I'm just curious about it. :) ...They say we are out of furniture... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:16:06 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety pt. III Message-ID: Yeah, well, I know that everyone and their individual siblings are posting about this show, but I just wanted to say that when the tall woman (man in drag? I don't know) says, "And many gorgeous bands..." they show a shot of our man Linnell...I just love that commercial, because ya know? They are gorgeous! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Ohmigod, the dead have risen and are voting Republican!" \\ -Bart, "The Simpsons" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:19:14 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Then: the earlier years Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, um yea..it's Tara wrote: > Does anyone know exactly how many previously unreleased songs are gonna be > on this album?? or some that aren't on any other albums? thanks bunches > > Tara the freak > 17. you can find the list at Restless Records (www.restless.com) Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Cards - IGNORE ALL YOU CARD-HATERS!!! (: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:20:26 -0800 Oh, forgot to apologize... You'll notice that the credits bar is there, but it brings up a non-existent file. I forgot to send the credits.html file because (to quote Tori Amos) I'm "such a ding-a-ling." It'll be up tonight. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970321161127.007c3eb0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:11:27 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans BFF: Ben Folds Five are really good. go buy their album. now. Cardigans: They suck. suck suck suck. I had the misfortune to see the video for that damned "Love Me" song. Anyone know if they have a mailing list so I can notify all their fans? (just kidding) Some-TMBG: To bring up an old topic, (dig dig dig) I just realised that half the songs on Flood really do suck. I was reminded of this by my friend, and I hadn't listened to Flood in a while, and it's true! I would be very happy if they released an album that had 10-15 songs on it, and just made you go "Whoa. that was really good." maybe my wish will come true... (Well, not if they put Counterfeit Faker on the new album, I really don't like country music, even if it's Country Music They Might Be Giants Style) Umm....... umm.... hey someone dig up an old topic to have a big disscussion about, I'm bored. -ec, eagerly awaiting Then: http://center.ml.org <-- BACK IN BUISNESS? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:55:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321165530_754957117@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Video/Single for Tribute Album >Hey, it just occured to me... > >Is there going to be a video or a single for the tribute album? Heh heh, *well*, you never know... I stumbled upon this "humour" hour on a local college radio station last week in the wee hours of the morning, and they played a few songs off the "Prosthetic Lips" tape - the Weird Al cover compilation by internet fans of his. And one of the dj's kept reciting the web address for the tape, and plugging it, and he actually said how he did the cover work for the tape sleeve for it. Interesting. :) (And they also played Wally Pleasant's "Bad Kid Show Host!") Hey all - shameless plug. I have a little piece of a TMBG promo (wav) at: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/wavs.html sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970321225801.2117527c@bcc-la.balboacapital.com> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:58:01 -0800 From: "Marc A. Terry" Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans >Some-TMBG: >To bring up an old topic, (dig dig dig) I just realised that half the songs >on Flood really do suck. I was reminded of this by my friend, and I hadn't >listened to Flood in a while, and it's true! Whatever you're smoking, give it a rest. I don't think it's having the desired effect. I am actually quite shocked to hear the opinion that Flood even partially sucks. As evidence of its excellence, I'd just like to say that on two other mailing lists (Matthew Sweet and The Connells), independent surveys were recently taken of people's favorite albums and in BOTH cases Flood made the top five. I personally think They were on a roll when they made Flood. I have friends who don't even know who They are that sit in the car and groove to such obscurities as "Minimum Wage" with me because they're unable to help themselves. But, hey. Bread mold MIGHT be medicine... I guess Flood MIGHT suck... M Live as the wolf lives; play when you can; hunt when you must; rest in between; cooperate with the pack. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:03:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321170341_1849003536@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: SEXYSINK.WAV Whoever made that mix of the songs and named it SEXYSINK.WAV on their page, I need the URL for that. I never got a chance to download it, and I would like to hear it. Joel tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ From: EGODEATH7@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:10:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321171028_-771392420@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: RE:TMBG: Comedy Central Subj: TMBG: Comedy Central Date: 97-03-21 01:47:08 EST From: Mr_Potato_Head@msn.com (Andreas Baeuchle) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: Mr_Potato_Head@msn.com (Andreas Baeuchle) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (Superfueled Freaklist) >>>One of my favorite comedy shows, "The State" is back in action, this time in the form of "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. Now they even get their own guest band! And so far I've recognized two bands from the commercials, 1. Mighty Mighty Bosstones (alright!) and 2. I'm trying to confirm this but I saw a guy playing a keyboard with hair parted down the middle, yes, I think perhaps, maybe, probably, it was Linnell! I'm trying to confirm this is what I saw, but I think it was indeed TMBG. The show is hip enough that they would do this.<<< Yes, you did see TMBG on the add for Viva Variety on Comedy Central, they are appearing (I think on April 8th..but i'm not exactly sure) meg ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970321171756.006a678c@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:17:56 -0500 From: Perry lee Subject: NONTMBG: It's My Birthday Ha ha! I fooled you! Thought it was about your favorite song but it is actually an announcement of the anniversary of my creation! Moo hoo ha! Zink 16 on 3/22/97 |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:24:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321172408_-603620356@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: It's My Birthday In a message dated 97-03-21 17:21:33 EST, mlee@planet.net (Perry lee) writes: << Zink 16 on 3/22/97 >> Today is 3/21 not 3/22! Happy Birthday, I think! %) Today is the first day of the rest of your life.... That gives you something to look forward to.... This is the beginning of the end... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 17:38 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Canberra 10 March show in Australia > >i also forgot to mention that linnell discovered he was a 'rock vampyre' >last night because he could see every member of the band's relefection in >the glass at the back of the bar except his. Ah-hah! *Proof* that Linnell is an immortal vampire! Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:05:16 -0800 >---------- >From: Richard E. Michalski[SMTP:rmichals@ix.netcom.com] >Sent: Friday, March 21, 1997 10:04 AM >To: McClusky, Jesse >Subject: Re: TMBG: Video/Single for Tribute Album > >What is the tribute album page's address?? > >Billy http://tmbg.home.ml.org Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970321193000.007f5b90@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:30:00 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans >>>But, hey. Bread mold MIGHT be medicine... I guess Flood MIGHT suck...<<< Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. -ec ------------------------------ Message-ID: <333327DE.2A5D@trib.infi.net> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:29:18 -0500 From: Boba Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too: Video Compilation good Day, new We Might Be Giants, Too news, Jesse McClusky has decided to start a Video Compilation in conjunction with We Might Be Giants, Too. Information on it (sortof) and how to get more info is on the web page for the tape still at: http://wemightbegiantstoo.home.ml.org Peace, Boba Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org Boba's Page: http://boba.home.ml.org The Wendy Page: http://wendyweb.base.org We Might Be Giants, Too: http://tmbg.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Physicsboy Subject: TMBG: tmbg in melbourne aust. Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:37:20 +1000 Message-ID: <19970322013720264.AAA252@PHYSICSBOY.SAUSAGE.COM.AU> They might be giants played in melbourne australia last night. There were pretty damn cool. Over here, we envy you guys who get to see TMBG so often. They played a new song I have never heard about 'time marching on' or something. The skinny john sung that, and it was really good. They also started some chant, one that I didn't recognise. I was wondering if you people know what it is. The last time TMBG toured australia (in 95 I think) I don't recall skinny john looking so gaunt, is he okay? see ya, peter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33332A01.7B42@trib.infi.net> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:38:25 -0500 From: Boba Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Destination Moon Chord Guy Hey there, some one emailed me concerning sending me the chords for Destination Moon for tmbg.org, if you are that guy, don't bother, I just realized that I formatted those chords about a month ago! Sorry about the confusion! Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org Boba's Page: http://boba.home.ml.org The Wendy Page: http://wendyweb.base.org We Might Be Giants, Too: http://tmbg.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:32:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970321203205_1749322125@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Concert $ Question How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG concerts? Maniac members.aol.com/tmbgmaniac/site.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703220215.UAA14980@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:05:51 -0600 In my experience with Flood, I've found that it's a GREAT album... just the people who know TMBG 'only' for Flood... THOSE are the people that suck. I don't mean the poor unfortunates who never got to hear the rest of They for some reason or another, just the annoying masses, of which I'm sure you guys and gals and pinto beans know what I mean. My only anti-tmbg moment... I had been a faithful listener to Doctor Demento for about six years (time enough to figure out that if you listened to him for one year, you've heard it all. And I'm not joshing you.) and I had discovered TMBG through him (and the infamous Tiny Toon Adventures). One day... I was going to high school (this was a few years ago) and as I came into the building the ..ugh.. dancing flag waving cheerleaders or whatever they are were practicing in the little sport's hero cathedral next to the gym. They always did this so it was not unusual. I quickly sauntered past, wanting not to be met with the usual "Aaaah! *FREAK!!*" eyes that the pretty people usually gave me. As I scooted by, I saw that they, with their usual jackass school spirit flags, had these glittery arabian swords. I paid no special notice. Twenty or so feet from my locker, and a few hundred from the scary beauties, the sweet sound pieced through the bustling croud of gibbering loons that were called my Classmates. "I am not your friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing>Click<' (*click symbolizes a quick cutoff) I turned around in absolute glee. What kind being existed upon this town that knew of They Might Be Giants?! Who could share one of my favorite things?! Why did someone who obviously shared my musical taste, bring a loud musical player to school?? Why, of all TMBG songs to blare for a nanosecond, did they choose *that* particular song? Will there be more?!?! In my few seconds of wonder, I scanned the 'forum' as we were supposed to call it. A vast, carpeted pit that the kids were supposed to believe was cool to sit in and nobody had a player of any sort. Then, I happened to glance back in the direction form which I had entered. The beautiful sound of "Istanbul' wafted into my head, energizing me with Theyness. I was unto the Johns. But, then... I NOTICED THAT THE CHEERLEADERS WERE DANCING TO IT. >simulated implosion sound effect< I can not describe to you the horror of seeing something you love adultered in that way. It was like seeing all the Superman and Batman movies at once. It was like having an erotic incest dream. it was worse than finding out all you beliefs were wrong ad you were a patsy of an evil government. it was like discovering that the best hamburger you've ever had was made out of human flesh. It was like watching every episode of Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, *AND* Suddenly Susan, while participating in a cannibalism ritual. it was like The First Episode of the New Season of Saturday Night Live. It was bad. Horrible. Bad. You couldn't stop it and it kept going and going. I screamed in horror (which, towards the end of High School, was NOT unusual, but that's another story), the bell rang, and first class began. It was over. I never heard of TMBG from the likes of people like that again. Later on, I found that Flood was the 'public' version of TMBG. This of course, sickened me, but hey.. to put it in a skewed version of what people tell me... The mass public also breathes air. So, I let it go, and went on with my life. Until and after a brief, half year encounter with John Henry, (it looked too MTV) I became determined that I would like everything TMBG makes (and I do) and to hell with those ignorant "They is Funny! Hyuck!" fools. Of course, I don't have to be AROUND people like that, so my exceedingly high blood pressure thanks me dearly. Sorry for this 'first encounter with the public and TMBG' story, but it was destined to be told. At least I didn't mention those Blasted AKA's and say something like "I;'m still working on them and the website won't be updated for a few more days". That would be pretentious. Mike "I'm so lonely" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 20:48 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question > >How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG concerts? Well, when I saw Them open for Hootie, short sleeved t-shirts were $20, long sleeved were $25, and hats were $25. I'm not sure if this is typical or not. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:44:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Re: Flood Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Marc A. Terry wrote: > >on Flood really do suck. I was reminded of this by my friend, and I hadn't > >listened to Flood in a while, and it's true! > > when they made Flood. I have friends who don't even know who They are that > sit in the car and groove to such obscurities as "Minimum Wage" with me > because they're unable to help themselves. But, hey. Bread mold MIGHT be > medicine... I guess Flood MIGHT suck... > True! Ya gotta admit, folks, that most of us probably would never have even _heard_ of Them were it not for Flood. Someone mentioned that it's Their public album, and I think that's really it- at least some people, out there in the scary "real world" are listening the music that we all know and love. I'm usually gratified that they have at least heard of Them, and don't say, "They might be what?" I know that my first exposure was of Flood, and it was all uphill from there. I have to admit, some of Their best stuff isn't on there, but then again, I still rank "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love" and "Road Movie to Berlin" as some of my favourites... personally, I think a lot of people on this list just don't like Flood just because a lot of "them" do (a.k.a. "I knew them before they were popular" syndrome) Stef, kickin' back and waitin' fer the flames to roll in... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Ohmigod, the dead have risen and are voting Republican!" \\ -Bart, "The Simpsons" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:56:03 -0500 (EST) From: Kelly Anne Mazzonne Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question Message-ID: Yeah, that is what they were when I saw Them in Michigan. Kelly On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > >How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG concerts? > > Well, when I saw Them open for Hootie, short sleeved t-shirts were > $20, long sleeved were $25, and hats were $25. I'm not sure if this is > typical or not. > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > _______________________________________________________________________________ "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstien Kelly Mazzonne kmazzonn@umich.edu 1.313.764.4984 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kmazzonn/ _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703220348.VAA16601@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: The Flood Debacle Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:38:48 -0600 Okay, while watching PBS and enjoying a sandwich consisting of meat and cheese and corn chips, there's a classical music concert on (Andre Rieu). Then it hit me. I said 'Stop hitting me, you jackass." Then I thought up the following... Actually I had a better analog (a cute little phrase. Perhaps I'll remember it later) but I went to comet gaze and I lost it. _we_ percieve They Might Be Giants as masters, because we 'get' (well... some of it) it, and because we know many, many examples of They other than Flood, while the general masses see Flood as the album by that funny band who's size is in question. I forgot my eloquent phrase. Damn. Anyway,. classical music fans (deadheads. HA! SEE, THE MASTERS ARE DEAD! HAHA! HA) see the same in the public with 'The Lone Ranger Song' AKA The Willaim Tell Overture. It was a lot more monstrumental when I had the cute little sig-happy phrase. Damn. Mike "In short, The Public Masses are Bastards" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:07:38 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: Flood Message-ID: on the flood thing: of all tmbg's albums, Flood sucks the most, and is the one I listen to the least...actually flood's the only one that sucks even slightly now that i think about it...even though it has two of my favorite tmbg songs (istanbul and birdhouse) the rest for the most part are just not all that catchy and some just plain i-want-to-immediately-skip-this-song-cause-its-that-horrible. ...i dont know if that's a word...oh, and yes, i am including particle man amongst the songs that are not all that catchy, because its not that great--way over-rated....hmmm, yeah, i think that's all i have to contribute...that is, if i contributed at all.....see ya at the moon...and jannus landing, peoples. shoehorn with teeth mike visit theShuffler's Domain (one of my many pages) for information on The Man (wdtss) http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/5908/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:11:38 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: NONTMBG: It's My Birthday Message-ID: actually, no i didnt...it said nontmbg...i thought it was pretty obvious..but then again, im incredibly inteliigent...hmmmmm shoehorn with teeth (mike) > > > Ha ha! I fooled you! Thought it was about your favorite song but it is > actually an announcement of the anniversary of my creation! Moo hoo ha! > > Zink > 16 on 3/22/97 > > |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| > |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 23:31 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flood personally, I think a lot of people on this list just don't >like Flood just because a lot of "them" do (a.k.a. "I knew them before >they were popular" syndrome) Y'know what? I'm not really sure *why* I don't like Flood all that much. It just seems rather lackluster after hearing the other albums. I mean, I don't know what I'd do without "Birdhouse," "Dead," "Twisting," "We Want a Rock," or "Road Movie," but for some reason the album doesn't grab me as well. This isn't a new developement - the first album I bought was Flood, the second Lincoln, and as soon as I got Lincoln, Flood faded to the background. Of course, as I mentioned before, it also could have something to do with the fact that my copy of Flood is a slowly deteriorating cassette tape. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-81 *****************************