Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-82 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 82 Sunday, 23 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Flood TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit TMBG: Flood Re: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question TMBG: RE: ID BADGE TMBG: TMBG CD5: The Satire (my dream) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-81 Re: TMBG: Flood Re: TMBG: Flood TMBG: Re: ID BADGE Re: TMBG: Flood TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. NONRe: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. NONRe: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" TMBG: Bay Area Fans ? Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" TMBG: PEZ Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Hey! I stole this idea from Joshua Hall-whatever or whatever his name is." Is he still alive? TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too TMBG: Live from the BBC! TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit TMBG: Wally Pleasant Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3333327A.542E@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 01:14:34 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Flood A poem: Some people like apples, some people like oranges. Some people like cats, some people like dogs Some people like Flood, some people like Lincoln So what? -Bill from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:36:02 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Message-ID: Hello, fellow Hitchhiker fan! I read the subject of your post, and I said, "Hey! There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." Anyway, I, too, have a similar TMBG story. It seems like Flood is the only album that outsiders know of. I guess we're going to have to accept that. I admit, I first heard of Them from that famous Tiny Toons episode, so I guess it's not really that bad. Now I love all the albums. But I worry about everyone else... I went to one of Their concerts last December, and I came to school the next day sporting a TMBG shirt. As I walked through the halls, I was approached by a person, who, for all practical purposes, might as well have been Public Relations Manager for the Rest of the World. Anyway, he saw my shirt, and pointed, screaming "Hey! You saw They Might Be Giants! Wow!" My initial reaction was surprise. I wondered if anyone who seems relatively non-TMBG-ish* could like Them. I thought maybe there's hope for the world. Maybe some day we'll reach world peace. I was about to ask if he was a real fan of Theirs. But before I could, he said, "Hey! Did they play that one song-- ya know-- 'Even Old New York Was Once New Amsterdam'?" Well, from then on it was pretty clear. I smiled and nodded, "Yes, they did play 'Even Old New York Was Once New Amsterdam'." I mean, I didn't want to spoil his fun. If he wanted to screw up the title of Istanbul, then let him have his fun. *Non-TMBG-ish: The state of not connecting with the amazing Groove of They Might Be Giants. One may only correctly label other as Non-TMBG-ish if one is a True Fan. Semi-related: I've noticed in my experience with TMBG that the world can be divided into two parts. Those who've merely heard of TMBG and the True Fans. My example comes from the story above, but let's face it-- this sort of thing happens all the time. It seems that everyone has heard of Istanbul or Particle Man, even if they don't know the name of album or the song. My point is that many times in my life, I've had a Connecting Moment that turned out to be false. You know what I mean, right listees? You meet someone somewhere, and the other person finds out you're a True Fan. After that, they begin to talk about Flood (although they may not necissarily refer to it as Flood. I've heard it referred to as "Their first album". ) Anyway, for one moment, you think you've Connected with another TMBGer, and then you realize that they've only head of Flood. Oh well. I suggest a simple test we can use whenever TMBG comes up. Ask one of the following questions, and you'll be all set: 1. Name at least three of Their albums. 2. Name the two major members. 3. Are you on the List? Of course, this is just plain crazy. Maybe we should get ID badges to carry in public. It sure would make meeting other True Fans a lot easier: "Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm offical TMBG fan #42" or something like that. Anyway, although it's OK to look upon those people who've only heard of Flood, the non-TMBG-ers, as not perfect fans, we should take it easy on them. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I was one of those people once. There was a time in my life when the only TMBG I had heard came from Tiny Toons. In short, I was no better than the people I've called non-TMBG-ers. In fact, I was one of them . But it's all a matter of perspective what a True Fan is. I mean, I probably know a lot more TMBG trivia than all of them put together, but to this day I can't name all the members of the band after John & John. So my point is that it's all a matter of perspective. I consider myself a True Fan, but I've just proved that I don't know everything there is to know. Some might consider me an Eternal Fountain of TMBG-ness, and some people who are wiser in the ways of TMBG than myself might laugh. In short, There are True Fans and non-TMBG-ers. At first glance they appear very similar, but if you look into it (for about three seconds), you can tell them apart. Joe ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:46:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322104619_-1873369639@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flood True, Flood might not be Their best album, but it sure must say something when the majority of They fans either only own Flood or it was their first They purchase. I would've never heard of TMBG if it were not for me hearing Birdhouse, Particle, and Istanbul this summer at a dance. Flood is more of the attracting album. Maybe some think it sucks because they have listened to it over and over again. It was very addicting, but maybe now some think it is irritating. There are still some songs on Flood which I would never be able to remember the lyrics, nonetheless the melody to. For example, I have no clue what Hearing Aid sounds like, even though I have heard it again and again. Maybe that and someothers are those that fall into the less addicting category. But don't tell me that you don't enjoy a good Particle Man everyonce in a while! I am getting a little tired of Birdhouse, but that is on the list of my 5 fav TMBG songs! Here's my Question of the day: What do Flood and Macarena have in common? A: they are OVERPLAYED Joel "Loves to Ramble" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.come ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BFF/Cardigans Date: 22 Mar 1997 11:34:00 GMT Message-ID: <5h0g38$ee$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <3.0.1.32.19970321161127.007c3eb0@mail.ee.net>, Evan Chakroff writes: > BFF: > Ben Folds Five are really good. go buy their album. now. And see them live! I just have (last tuesday) and they rock! :) > Cardigans: > They suck. suck suck suck. I had the misfortune to see the video for that > damned "Love Me" song. Anyone know if they have a mailing list so I can > notify all their fans? (just kidding) You haven't seen the European version of the video. It's "naughty"... contrary to the US version. > Umm....... umm.... hey someone dig up an old topic to have a big > disscussion about, I'm bored. Can't help you with that. Sorry. :) Bye, Daniel (from Amsterdam, The Netherlands) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:03:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322110312_853497834@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question In a message dated 97-03-21 21:55:48 EST, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: << > >How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG concerts? Well, when I saw Them open for Hootie, short sleeved t-shirts were $20, long sleeved were $25, and hats were $25. I'm not sure if this is typical or not. Kirsten >> Well, I paid $20 for WorldTour2040 at Irving Plaza. I don't know about longsleeve and hats Joel ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:06:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322110607_180861421@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: RE: ID BADGE Isn't this what OMLT is sorta meant for? In a message dated 97-03-22 09:37:48 EST, 99teajoe@james.hawken.edu (Joe Teagno) writes: << I suggest a simple test we can use whenever TMBG comes up. Ask one of the following questions, and you'll be all set: 1. Name at least three of Their albums. 2. Name the two major members. 3. Are you on the List? Of course, this is just plain crazy. Maybe we should get ID badges to carry in public. It sure would make meeting other True Fans a lot easier: "Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm offical TMBG fan #42" or something like that. >> ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG CD5: The Satire (my dream) Message-ID: <19970322.091242.3382.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:13:19 EST Okay, I felt i'd share my latest TMBG-related dream: There i was at my local used-cd store (cheapo discs) when i realized that everything had been moved and all that they were selling was videos and a couple of leftover cd's. Well i went to the TMBG section and and got the cd i went there to get, when i noticed that the only other single in there was one called "the satire" (english class is getting to me..) and it looked almost exactly like pearl jam's 'Vitalogy' cd except it said "the satire" in red shiny letters as well as "october 1997" and "They Might Be Giants" in teh corner of the cd in the same shiny red letters. Well i was soooo happy to get it that when i looked over and saw a TMBG puzzle, i was just in shock!!! it was like one of those pictures from John Henry or Back to Skull. So when i went up to pay for it all, the guy was like "whoa, you really like TMBG don't you? i was liek "yeah" so he went to the back and got all this other TMBG stuff and gave everything to me FREE!!! woohoo!!! too bad real life can't be that nice!!! i'm off on spring break in two hours so i'll talk to ye people later!!! snowboarding every day!!! woohoo!!! =) No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) the yedi master ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970322180845.00a2ebb0@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:08:45 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-81 OK, it's 4am Can I be first to do a Sydney review? Ah well, if not, here;s the 2nd revierw or whatever. Shoehorn With Teeth they played and it was heaps cool!!! That surprised me heaps... They played all the usual songs... Umm... That's about it for my review. It was a great gig and Flans gave us two beers after the gig... He was real happy and opened the window of the van he was in to talk to us. Linnell seemed happy and was joking around and acting as if he was a criminal, covering his face with his jacket as he left!!! Ummm.... The setlist seems pretty similar to the Brisbane one. They played Parrtical Man and Istanbul which surprised me a bit too... Ah yeah, and Twisting, We're The Replacements, Where You Eyes Don;t Go, blah, yadda, etc Review... Crap review. I liked the gig. Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & Sun 23rd of March 6pm & & Cat & Fiddle Hotel $5 & & 456 Darling Street Balmain & & with The Flat Earth (5pm) & &http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:57:19 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 TMBG: Flood by Yoel97@aol.com > True, Flood might not be Their best album, but it sure must say something > when the majority of They fans either only own Flood or it was their first > They purchase. I would've never heard of TMBG if it were not for me Someone who owns Flood is not a fan. Someone who bought Flood, liked it, and then bought their other albums and goes to concerts and stuff is a fan. The same can be said of other groups with their "major" albums. > the attracting album. Maybe some think it sucks because they have listened > to it over and over again. It was very addicting, but maybe now some think > it is irritating. There are still some songs on Flood which I would never the album itself is not irritating. its popularity, however, is, because They have 5 other great albums. (not counting Misc T because They don't) > A: they are OVERPLAYED I haven't listened to either in months. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 13:57:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: Flood by Lawrence P Solomon@andre > Someone who owns Flood is not a fan. Someone who bought Flood, liked whoops. I meant "only owns Flood." big difference. I own Flood.... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:48:51 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322144849_-1772688335@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: ID BADGE In a message dated 97-03-22 12:29:29 EST, 99teajoe@james.hawken.edu (Joe Teagno) writes: << On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote, in regard to my ID badge plan: > Isn't this what OMLT is sorta meant for? Sure. But ID badges are probably easier to make and less costly, no? Besides you don't have to worry about a badge shrinking after too many washes. And if you're every locked out of your car, you could use it to pick the lock. Well, I guess if you had an OMLT, you could use the hanger it came on to open the door. There are many uses for an ID badge. I just can't think of any right now :) Joe >> True, but if you want it to do all of that, why don't we make TMBG Swiss Amry Knives? We could even have it come with a toothpick! Wow, just incase you get some Advil stuck between your teeth! and a screwdriver, scissors, comb, and everything else you could want in a TSAK! I'll head the project! =) Maybe even a corkscrew--I'll have to think about it. =) Joel "Where'd I leave my TSAK?" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:54:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322145432_987705932@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood In a message dated 97-03-22 12:59:46 EST, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: >>Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 TMBG: Flood by Yoel97@aol.com > > True, Flood might not be Their best album, but it sure must say something >> when the majority of They fans either only own Flood or it was their first >> They purchase. I would've never heard of TMBG if it were not for me >Someone who owns Flood is not a fan. Someone who bought Flood, liked >it, and then bought their other albums and goes to concerts and stuff is >a fan. The same can be said of other groups with their "major" albums. Ok, bad choice of words...I meant the majority of They album owners.... >> the attracting album. Maybe some think it sucks because they have listened >> to it over and over again. It was very addicting, but maybe now some think >> it is irritating. There are still some songs on Flood which I would never >the album itself is not irritating. its popularity, however, is, >because They have 5 other great albums. (not counting Misc T because >They don't) Well, maybe some do think it's irritating.....but anyway I mean people (incl. myself) have grown tired of Flood... I still enjoy an occasional listening to it. >> A: they [Macarena & Flood] are OVERPLAYED >I haven't listened to either in months. Well, that's you, but where I am from, Macarena is everywhere (still). I don't play it, but they both are overplayed. Joel "Rebutted the Rebuttal" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703222012.OAA06874@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:02:39 -0600 > Hello, fellow Hitchhiker fan! I read the subject of your post, and I > said, "Hey! There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." > And I'm Hoopy, too! ;) Ahh, HHGTTG... the man is GOD. Anyway.. >I was about to > ask if he was a real fan of Theirs. But before I could, he said, "Hey! > Did they play that one song-- ya know-- 'Even Old New York Was Once New > Amsterdam'?" Well, from then on it was pretty clear. I smiled and > nodded, "Yes, they did play 'Even Old New York Was Once New Amsterdam'." > I mean, I didn't want to spoil his fun. If he wanted to screw up the > title of Istanbul, then let him have his fun. > I made the mistake of trying to explain to my boss (read: evil evil evil) the Splendor of They Might Be Giants. Now whenever the hickass 'makes fun of me' she starts to sing 'Istanbul is constanople' and then proceeds to tell me why the band is stupid. I'm no more offended by her than I am of an ape that can eat it's own deposits, but never again will I explain the majesty. Either you ignorant bastards get it, or you don't. End of story. > *Non-TMBG-ish: The state of not connecting with the amazing Groove of They > Might Be Giants. One may only correctly label other as Non-TMBG-ish if > one is a True Fan. > _If_ we're gonna be talking labels here, we should include a True Fan Sub-List, dividing the extreme psychos and the normal 'freaks'. Just to be safe of course. I would fall under the "Buy every album I can, see Them if they're near me, never talk bad of them" category... far from the "break into their house, steal their hair and kidnap their children so one may touch the blood relative of They" side, of course. Same for Non fans too.. "I hate them even when I didn't" and "who?!?!" and "They're okay.." But, now I'm rambling. Don't need another AKA thing here.. "Hey! I have a category! 'I'd rather listen to Dan Rather Cough than hear TMBG!" > Semi-related: I've noticed in my experience with TMBG that the world can > be divided into two parts. We call them Hemispheres. Now, onto Continents... turn to page 3. > Those who've merely heard of TMBG and the True > Fans. As I stated above, there would be many many subsections under both categories, ah do believe.... >ID badges I think writing THEY on our foreheads would be cool! Of course, one would survive with THAT for about five, maybe six seconds in public.... :) Mike "My name is Zem" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703222021.OAA07027@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:12:25 -0600 We should make up (i.e. They-Ize) a bunch of items, send the list to They (or They Representatives). Then, after they tell us the ideas are stupid, sit back and forget about it. In the Apocalyptic year of the New millenium, when THEY become 'popular', their companies will produce our spinoff ideas and get really freaking rich. Then we can form a Convention to either drink poisoned Kool-Aid in utter despair, or sue the They Suits' (*) pants off. (* the TMBG Post-Unpopular Lackeys of Business) Mike "I would buy Motorized John Toothbrushes" Leffel ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:11:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322151153_-1504944066@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" If this has already been discussed to death, then do not read any further... I had heard somebody say that Weird Al's song "Everything You Know is Wrong" is a tribute to the Johns, and since apparently Weird ALl is known to pay tribute to musical artists like this, I figured, "Yeah, maybe." But in listening to the song again, the TMBG references struck me: The Prosthetic Lips guy, mailing a letter to his Evil Twin, the Disembodied Head, and more that I can't think of now. What I am wondering are the following things: Has there been any official confirmaiton from Weird Al himself about this song really being a tribute to They, and Has anyone else found any more TMBG references in the song? If you have an .mp3 player, you can download the whole song from ftp://128.153.208.47:/Mp3 Music/Humor/Weird Al/ . ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:14:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322151419_1614834269@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. In a message dated 97-03-22 15:13:02 EST, maleffel@ncfcomm.com (Mike Leffel) writes: << (* the TMBG Post-Unpopular Lackeys of Business) Mike "I would buy Motorized John Toothbrushes" Leffel >> I am starting to fear another THREAD coming on, but I would love J&J Booby Head dolls! That would be so cooL! Joel "High on Something" Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:22:40 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > If this has already been discussed to death, then do not read any further... > > I had heard somebody say that Weird Al's song "Everything You Know is Wrong" > is a tribute to the Johns, and since apparently Weird ALl is known to pay > tribute to musical artists like this, I figured, "Yeah, maybe." But in > listening to the song again, the TMBG references struck me: The Prosthetic > Lips guy, mailing a letter to his Evil Twin, the Disembodied Head, and more > that I can't think of now. What I am wondering are the following things: Although Al himself hasn't actually admitted it (I don't think, anyway.. ), it's a pretty definate thing. ALL the references, the musical structure, lyric style, etc, points to TMBG. I know for a fact that Al is a big TMBG freak... in fact, the first exposure I _ever_ got to TMBG was on AL-TV (when Al takes over Mtv, and does wacky stuff. It's not as funny as it used to be-- Mtv made him alter his format for the last one) when he played Hotel Detective. I think it was in '86 or so. He's also been seen at TMBG shows in LA. I think it'd be pretty suave to run into Weird Al at a TMBG show. :) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:54:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322155448_-1035844889@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Or how about those cloth boxing puppets (Puppet Head! Exquisite Dead Guy! Aaack!) of J+J. And arts 'n' crafts kits to contruct Your Very Own Istanbul City from the Istanbul Video! And...and...well those examples kinda suck but Im sure there's something else... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:01:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322160126_-1136196980@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: NONRe: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Well, no true fan is complete without his/her very own PURPLE TOUPEE. Hmmm.....that could be fun...... Joel "Can't stop drooling about Purple Touppes" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199703222106.QAA25384@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Mar 1997 15:06:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. YO>I am starting to fear another THREAD coming on, but I would love J&J Booby YO>Head dolls! That would be so cooL! How about TMBG brand spiced ham, or They lawn ornaments. I'd even buy TMBG tape despensers that play "Bill's Mood" when you pick it up. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:10:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322161011_-1303955947@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: NONRe: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. In a message dated 97-03-22 16:08:04 EST, utopiaone@qconline.com writes: << YO>I am starting to fear another THREAD coming on, but I would love J&J Booby YO>Head dolls! That would be so cooL! How about TMBG brand spiced ham, or They lawn ornaments. I'd even buy TMBG tape despensers that play "Bill's Mood" when you pick it up. >> Better that thatJ&J PEZ DISPENSERS. That would be the best! Joel "Fearing Flames" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970322210742.0067e134@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:07:42 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Yup, "Weird Al" said on an on-line chat that it was his tribute to TMBG. If only he'd cover a TMBG song for We Might Be Giants, Too... TTYL, -Adam At 03:11 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: >If this has already been discussed to death, then do not read any further... > >I had heard somebody say that Weird Al's song "Everything You Know is Wrong" >is a tribute to the Johns, and since apparently Weird ALl is known to pay >tribute to musical artists like this, I figured, "Yeah, maybe." But in >listening to the song again, the TMBG references struck me: The Prosthetic >Lips guy, mailing a letter to his Evil Twin, the Disembodied Head, and more >that I can't think of now. What I am wondering are the following things: > >Has there been any official confirmaiton from Weird Al himself about this >song really being a tribute to They, and > >Has anyone else found any more TMBG references in the song? If you have an >.mp3 player, you can download the whole song from ftp://128.153.208.47:/Mp3 >Music/Humor/Weird Al/ . > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: shaw@cs.ucdavis.edu (Rob Shaw) Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:03:38 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703222203.OAA01326@roma-cafe.cs.ucdavis.edu> Subject: TMBG: Bay Area Fans ? Someone posted a line about (paraphrasing) "not trying to make friends for the Sydney show via the mailing list". Actually, it seems to me that this is quite a reasonable thing to do... Musicial tastes, especially in cases like TMBG (i.e. compositions with some real depth, creativity, and intelligence to them), must have some correlation with the listener's personality. Admittedly, it's not like TMBG has directly influenced where I'm going in life, but I seriously admire their work, and that must say something about me... So.... How many readers around here are in the Bay Area? Are there ever TMBG parties on the Johns' birthdays or things that like that? (someone should volunteer their place!). Since I'm finishing up grad school and moving to the south bay this August, I figure a post such as this one is in order... (BTW, Yes, I've only recently subscribed to the list, but TMBG has been in my what-I-listen-to-these-days rotation pretty much consistently since Lincoln (give or take a short hiatus here and there)) Rob Shaw (shaw@cs.ucdavis.edu) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970322215908.006772b4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:59:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" At 04:35 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: > >it may be possible. I just sent mail to a friend of mine here (the guy >who runs the "Yankovic" web site) to see if he could get in contact with >him abou it.... I'm pretty sure the band isn't on tour or in the studio >right now, so it may be difficult for him.... but we'll try. If you want to e-mail Jon Schwartz, Al's drummer, you can contact him at bermuda@loop.com TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:29:47 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribu.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > If you want to e-mail Jon Schwartz, Al's drummer, you can contact him at > bermuda@loop.com bad idea - it's best for him to get mail from someone he's talked to before (i.e. Happy) if we want anything done. people, don't flood Bermuda's mailbox with requests for Al to do something for WMBGT. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970322173254.007f9730@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:32:54 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: PEZ This disscussion about They merchandise is getting out of control! (I ddidn't actually read the messages, but pretend that It's out of control. And I feel obligated to repond to something even if there's nothing to respond to...) That was pointless, and now I forgot what i was going to say, and don't feel like re-reading the first part of my message to figure it out. -ec .... But in a way aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970322223347.006734cc@awod.com> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:33:47 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" I know Bermuda pretty well though. (I've talked to him for about a year, and I did some graphics for his web page too.) :> I just posted a message to alt.music.weird-al and CC:ed a letter to him, so hopefully there'll be some response soon (although Al is extremely busy right now...I'm not sure how likely this is). TTYL, -Adam At 05:29 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: Weird Al's >"Tribu.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com >> If you want to e-mail Jon Schwartz, Al's drummer, you can contact him at >> bermuda@loop.com > >bad idea - it's best for him to get mail from someone he's talked to >before (i.e. Happy) if we want anything done. people, don't flood >Bermuda's mailbox with requests for Al to do something for WMBGT. > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-id: <3157262@hanover.VALLEY.NET> Date: 22 Mar 97 18:59:15 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Hey! I stole this idea from Joshua Hall-whatever or whatever his name is." Is he still alive? Ok, with many things going on on the list that I feel it's my responsability to respond to, I believe that long, uniformative subject title is most useful. This message in different parts is going to end up targeting a few people who's names will be changed because it makes this message a whole lot more fun. Ok regarding flood. I think that this message would serve no point if I just put my opinions of it. So I'll go deeper. When Fargor the Mighty said that someone who only owns Flood isn't a fan, it struck me as rather painful. He has no way of knowing this, and if you like something, that technically makes you a fan. For example, I have only seen about 13 of the hundreds of MST3K episodes, but I still consider myself a fan! My friend owns FS, and he doesn't really like it, but by your standards, he is a TMBG fan! Regarding TMBG products, I would buy pretty much anything that had TMBG on it, much the same way that my sister buys anything and everything, even t-shirts that don't fit, of sailor moon. But I think the real question is, If someone bought on of these products, and only owned flood, would THAT make them a "fan"? Regarding Bloopie the Clown's little rant about the Cardigans, I think that either you have your own opinion, and that makes you fine, or (and more likely, as you really gave a rant of someone who doesn't have a mind) You are joining the mass of people that don't like Cardigans, only because a bigger mass does. I think the Cardigans are one of the greatest foriegn bands in quite a while, and even though I think that Lovefool is only an ok song, I am addicted to LIFE, as I think any other TMBG "fan" (meaning listie-dedicated) would most likely be. Perhaps this last paragraph has damaged my chances of getting a Quadas Plaza CD (also renamed) but it's my opinion. The question is, was the one you wrote really yours Bloopie? Ok, enough of that. Rob "Let's stick together 'cause we're number eight. Let's stick to numbers 'cause they're great!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970323013904.0068fa6c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:39:04 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too I thought I'd forward Bermuda's reponse to the list... TTYL, -Adam >Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:35:22 -0800 >X-Sender: bermuda@pop.loop.com >To: ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) >From: Bermuda Schwartz >Subject: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too > >At 05:00 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: >>Any chance of Al doing a cover for the They Might Be Giants tribute album, We >>Might Be Giants, Too? > >Who's putting it out? Unless it's a legit label project, I don't think he >would be likely to contribute anything. > >jon > > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:01:45 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Live from the BBC! Message-ID: Hey/hay, 1. A line of J&J lunchboxes ("Make a little lunchbox in your soul", "Hall of Heads", etc.) 2. If all a person knows of Them is Flood, they need to be better exposed. My first TMBG experience was eith with A18 or Misc. T, but then came Tiny Toons (didn't even make a connection between the two until MUCH later), but even now I only own Flood, SEXXY, FS, and A18. I haven't yet listened to Lincoln and JH all the way through. Yet I am on this list and consider myself a True Fan. I go to concerts when I can (when they';re here anmd I'm not grounded or busy) etc. etc. So let's drop this thread RIGHT NOW. 3. They should cover Al's parody of "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmm" or a song I heard on the oldies station tonight about the Battle of New Orleans, how perfect would that be? Maybe something else. I don't know anymore. Ask Rick. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:24:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322212414_671282480@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety I figured by now everyone knew They are playing on Viva Variety on APRIL 1st! (some said the 8th. hee hee). We've announced this to death! WAKE UP!!!!!! Once again sorry and frustrated, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nB9G_C00iVDQ4WX9O@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:25:14 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giant.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > >Who's putting it out? Unless it's a legit label project, I don't think he > >would be likely to contribute anything. It's being put out by TMBG fans... and he is one, so why not? :) I'm sure he could do quite a good rendition of The Famous Polka..... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970323025515.00678868@awod.com> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:55:15 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too At 09:25 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: > >It's being put out by TMBG fans... and he is one, so why not? :) I'm >sure he could do quite a good rendition of The Famous Polka..... That's basically what I said in my reply. :) I think the big concern is over whether or not this is legit (Bermuda didn't seem to know what this was all about). I *really* hope he'll do it, though. Any other songs you'd like to hear? I think the Famous Polka would be the best choice, but what else...? Al has a really talented band, so I could see them doing something like Rhythm Section Want Ad... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:26:39 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: What time is this show on? If this has already been announced to death, oops! I am awake, though, just deleting many of these messages. Speaking of which, I have a complaint about this list...there are a few people on here who post every five minutes a one sentence post that really doesn't make such a good read. Sure, I could just desubscribe from the list oif I have such a qualm abou it, thats probably what you might say, but I don't think it takes too much effort to compose your thoughts into a few messages a day like KidsInThHall does with the digest thing, or if not that, just think whether anyone else really wants to read your wonderful little sentence. Anyway, if I'm the only one who feel sthis way, fine, hate me, whatever, I really don't care. Ellen Kao > I figured by now everyone knew They are playing on Viva Variety on APRIL 1st! > (some said the 8th. hee hee). We've announced this to death! WAKE UP!!!!!! > > Once again sorry and frustrated, > Dan E. Boy > Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, ocean storm, bayberry moon. I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo ------------------------------ From: Skameleon@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:53:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970322225309_1749422528@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit << Maybe we should get ID badges to carry in public. It sure would make meeting other True Fans a lot easier: "Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm offical TMBG fan #42" or something like that. >> i like this idea . . . lets get em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970322232014.007fca90@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:20:14 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit At 10:53 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote: > ><< Maybe we should get ID > badges to carry in public. It sure would make meeting other True Fans a > lot easier: "Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm offical TMBG fan #42" or > something like that. >> > > i like this idea . . . lets get em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Who's TMBG #1-100 ?? I've got two numbers, on is for my name spelled right, the other is for my name spelled wrong... I forget both of them....... -ec http://center.ml.org <--- SOMETIMES FUNCTIONAL! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 22 Mar 97 23:35 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit > I think writing THEY on our foreheads would be cool! Of course, one >would survive with THAT for about five, maybe six seconds in >public.... :) My little brother wanted to do that once. Mom wouldn't let him. I think she was turned off by his writing of TMBG lyrics on the sidewalk. He's stranger than most.. I think once he gets past being a seventh grader he'll be cool, though. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 22 Mar 97 23:54 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Wally Pleasant Okay, well, this really isn't TMBG related, I'm just so psyched I had to blather about it somewhere! I just got back from a Wally Pleasant concert, and it was *the* coolest thing! I got to play the tambourine on three songs, while my friend Phil played the xylophone. And Wally signed my shoe! My only disappointment is that I didn't have enough money to buy a t-shirt or anything. For anyone interested, here's the setlist, sort of; I can't really remember what all he played or what order: The Day Ted Nugent Killed All the Animals Post Graduate Over Educated Out of Work Blues The Hippie's Lament Stupid Day Job Alternateen Let's Play Life The Cat Came Back Denny's At 4 AM The Lion Sleeps Tonight Why I Hate Cops a medly of bad eighties metal songs a song about the lead singer of Danzig and some song about Las Vegas Kirsten "All the other people who signed your shoe had cool 'shoe nicknames.' What can mine be? I guess I'll just be Duckie, too, like Lindsay here is." -Wally Pleasant, who *is* very pleasant and signed my shoe "Wally Pleasant - 'Duckie, Too.'" -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:27:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Mar-97 Re: TMBG: Re: We Might Be G.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > Any other songs you'd like to hear? I think the Famous Polka would be the > best choice, but what else...? Al has a really talented band, so I could > see them doing something like Rhythm Section Want Ad... It would have to be something where Al's voice worked, too - you can't have Weird Al singing something like Pet Name.... maybe Dead, or Whistling in the Dark... *or* a polka medley of TMBG songs... that could be interesting. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-82 *****************************