Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-83 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 83 Monday, 24 March 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years preview TMBG: Tiny Toons Question Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question TMBG: RE: ID BADGE TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit TMBG: Re: ID BADGE TMBG: Speaking of Irony... Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question Re: TMBG: Speaking of Irony... TMBG: I need my fix man TMBG: DAS TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down Re: TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down NON-TMBG: Cardigans and Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Siblings Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? Re: TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? RE: TMBG: Boston? TMBG: sydney concert TMBG: TMBG Ideas TMBG: Impulse Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit TMBG: Cardigans, Flood, price, la la la.. NONTMBG: A travesty Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Re: NONTMBG: A travesty TMBG: My Apologies Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Re: NONTMBG: A travesty TMBG: Setlists TMBG: re:Flood Re: TMBG: re:Flood TMBG: lesser liked songs EVENLESSTMBG: The Travesty TMBG: Santa's Beard. NON-TMBG: X-FILES Re: NON-TMBG: X-FILES TMBG: What are TMBG fans called? Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Hey! I stole this idea from Joshua Hall-whatever or whatever his name is." Is he still alive? Re: NON-TMBG: X-FILES TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens TMBG: A vaguely OMLT-like substance with a side order of ranting Re: TMBG: A vaguely OMLT-like substance with a side order of ranting Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:45:06 +1100 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert $ Question Message-ID: > >How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG concerts? > > Well, when I saw Them open for Hootie, short sleeved t-shirts were > $20, long sleeved were $25, and hats were $25. I'm not sure if this is > typical or not. Quick translation to AU$ for those of us seeing them recently Short sleeve shirts AU$25, Long sleeve shirts AU$35 - don't know about the caps. Jason ***************************************************************************** I think the three most important lessons to be learned from "Star Trek" would be tolerance, cooperation and the need for good tailoring. Patrick Stewart ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199703231437.JAA00393@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years preview Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 09:37:35 -0500 (EST) Don't forget that 'Then: The Earlier Years' will be available on Tuesday the 25th! While the release of the album brings with it a lot of new music, it also means the end of the preview section on http://www.tmbg.org/. If you haven't listened to the previews yet you better do it soon! Don't forget you can buy a copy of 'Then:' from CDNow and have it shipped out on the 25th (fedex, if you like). Follow the link to CDNow on www.tmbg.org to go right to Giant material. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970322095238.2b1fa1fa@mail.one.net> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:52:38 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question Okay, there is a long, convoluted story about "Particle Man" and my not hearing that song until 5 December 1996. Now, I even saw that episode of Tiny Toons, but I only say the "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" segment. I got the Flood CD and I listened to "Istanbul" and it struck me: I don't like this version of the song. I like the old one with the neat organ part, which has been replaced with bass guitar and pretty much disappears in the Flood version. So my question is: What order did the songs appear on Tiny Toons? If "Istanbul" was first, then the answer is simple: I turned off the TV because I did not like the newer version. Otherwise, I just tuned in late and missed "Particle Man." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:03:35 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323110333_1648791275@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question Partical Man was first, then came Istanbul ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:29:19 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: RE: ID BADGE Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote, in regard to my ID badge plan: > Isn't this what OMLT is sorta meant for? Sure. But ID badges are probably easier to make and less costly, no? Besides you don't have to worry about a badge shrinking after too many washes. And if you're every locked out of your car, you could use it to pick the lock. Well, I guess if you had an OMLT, you could use the hanger it came on to open the door. There are many uses for an ID badge. I just can't think of any right now :) Joe ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:35:30 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > _If_ we're gonna be talking labels here, we should include a True Fan > Sub-List, dividing the extreme psychos and the normal 'freaks'. I would probably fit under the division "Will bow down, kiss Their feet and grovel upon seeing Them". Well, that and "Chemically and Emotionally dependent upon purchasing Their albums". > I think writing THEY on our foreheads would be cool! Of course, one > would survive with THAT for about five, maybe six seconds in > public.... :) Wait! I've got a better idea. Forget those ID badges. Let's all wear sandwhich boards! Just imagine: "Tired of everyday life? Want a virtually 100% legal way of expadning your consciousness? Then 'tune in' to They Might Be Giants!" And the back would sport "http://www.tmbg.org/" and "http://www.tmbg.com", respectively. Yes, I'm aware that the OMLT is sort of the same thing, but how often do you get to wear cardboard in public? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:25:17 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: ID BADGE Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > True, but if you want it to do all of that, why don't we make TMBG Swiss Amry > Knives? We could even have it come with a toothpick! Wow, just incase you > get some Advil stuck between your teeth! > and a screwdriver, scissors, comb, and everything else you could want in a > TSAK! I'll head the project! =) > Maybe even a corkscrew--I'll have to think about it. =) But we still have the problem of ID. Perhaps when you press a secret button on the side, an ID badge would slide out. Wait a minute, though. If we make them a special color they'll stand out and we won't need to worry about ID after all. I think we should make them the exact shade of pink as found on the Pink Album. Now that I think of it, we could add a special chess set, so that whenever you play, you hear "Chess Piece Face". Joe ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970322105003.21c78f0e@mail.one.net> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:50:03 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Speaking of Irony... So I've just read all of these messages about Flood and its two most popular songs, and how evil they are, and how no self-respecting fan will sight this as the best, and this happens: I put four CDs in on shuffle mode, and the first song to be randomly selected is "Particle Man" - how's that for odd occurences? But that's not all. Guess what song came up next? That's right - "Schoolchildren Singing 'Particle Man'" Is there a God that would let this happen? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:41:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323114129_-1504873118@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question In a message dated 97-03-23 10:30:54 EST, you write: << Okay, there is a long, convoluted story about "Particle Man" and my not hearing that song until 5 December 1996. Now, I even saw that episode of Tiny Toons, but I only say the "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" segment. I got the Flood CD and I listened to "Istanbul" and it struck me: I don't like this version of the song. I like the old one with the neat organ part, which has been replaced with bass guitar and pretty much disappears in the Flood version. So my question is: What order did the songs appear on Tiny Toons? If "Istanbul" was first, then the answer is simple: I turned off the TV because I did not like the newer version. Otherwise, I just tuned in late and missed "Particle Man." >> Haven't watched this in awhile, but "Istanbul" was first, then they introduce "another song by They Might Be Giants (who _are_ these guys?)" and proceed to play "Particle Man." My questioon is, what older version of "Istanbul" are you talking about, the original 4 Lads version? 'Cause I thought the Tiny Toons and Flood versions were exactly the same. Kay, goin' to the St. Pete show, yay!!! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:55:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323115539_954223857@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of Irony... << I put four CDs in on shuffle mode, and the first song to be randomly selected is "Particle Man" - how's that for odd occurences? But that's not all. Guess what song came up next? That's right - "Schoolchildren Singing 'Particle Man'" Is there a God that would let this happen? >> I happen to adore "Particle Man and always will. I also think the kids singing it is simply adorable, but I really wish it wasn't on Then. I mean, there are just so many better dial-a-songs that could've been on there instead! Like "How Much Cake Can You Eat," to name just one. Speaking of DAS, is it down _again_? I haven't been able to get through for a long time now, only instead of just ringing I get a busy signal. I know that's common, but when it's working I'm usually able to get through at least part of the time. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:34:12 -0500 From: "Mr. Me" Subject: TMBG: I need my fix man Message-id: <33356994.4E54@bentley.edu> Organization: MILK Like everyone else here, I am hopelessly addicted to TMBG. I have heard of a dial-a-song tape with the best of dial-a-song. I was wondering if anyone could copy it for me and send it if I send them a SASE and a blank tape. Thanks oodles if anyone can do this for me. I also have some live tapes of my own if anyone wants to trade. Gracias y por favor I need my TMBG fix. -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:54:25 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: DAS Message-ID: Hey/hay, So anyway.... Am I just the mosy unluckiest persopn in the world or is DAS down again? I've never ever ever in my entire life gottne through.... oh well. I guess I'll just keep on truckin' along and hitting my Redial button....until I get through... It's always always always been a busy signal. Are there that many TMBG fans out there that if I try to call at 5:30 AM on a Monday it'll be busy? Geez o pete's you guys, can't you add another line or something? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:55:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323125543_704873830@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down When Dial-A-Song was reinstated recently, you could hear a different great song every hour! Then people found out it was up again and now it's as hard to get through to as it was a year ago. I find this a little strange, because when I first started calling DAS in `94 or `95, I almost always got through. Then Their modem went down or something, but when they brought it back it was super-busy! Was everyone still confused about the Apollo 18 thing? And with everyone talking about how great/bad flood is, let me add my two cents. The first time I heard TMBG was when I was about nine or ten. I saw the video for Istanbul on (and I am not lying) MTV. I instantly thought it was the best song I had ever heard, and I made sure to remember who sang it. Now I didn't become a real fan until about 1993 or so, and I think Flood was the last album I got. And then I realized it was Their worst album. I like ten out of the 18 songs, but the rest-- ehh. I don't hate them, it's just that they're so---ehh. And it has nothing to do with popularity-- my favorite songs on the album are Birdhouse, Istanbul, and Particle Man! Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. That does remind me though-- Now, without questioning Their greatness, and not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... well... ok, I have no idea what I'm trying to say, but Lincoln is damn near perfect without it! It belongs on Flood with the rest of the crap!!!!!!!! OK I'm really sorry about that. I must in a really bad mood or something. I will now go sit in the corner for what I said. Please don't hate me, dan e boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 23 Mar 97 13:19 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down >That does remind me though-- Now, without questioning Their greatness, and >not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S >BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... Hrm.. I like it.. sometimes... I dunno, I'm very ambiguous about this song. I like it, but I have to be in the right mood for it. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I made my friend Brenna a mix tape for Xmas and put "Beard" on it, since it was a Xmas song, and Brenna's older sister *loved* it to the point of me thinking she was insane. Kirsten "Two minutes long! That's from when our songs were all two minutes long! Didn't know how to write a bridge." -Flans, after playing "Santa's Beard" at Rochester. -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:17:09 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: NON-TMBG: Cardigans and Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: T whever said that they didn't like the Cardigans, I agree the First Band on the Moon was rather unimpressive. I haven't heard more than a couple of thhier previous songs, but with a song like Love fool for a single, the rest of the album didn't seem much better. This is on eof the few Cds I've ever sold back. Who really wants to hear a cover of Ironman? =p Well moxy Fruvous has a new one out (You will Go to The Moon). If anyone is around DC, MFruvous are also doing an in-store at a Tower Records on Penn Ave at 1 pm on the 26th Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, ocean storm, bayberry moon. I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:22:11 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323142210_606383864@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Siblings What do we know about J&J's siblings. From an interview, I heard that JF had a brother, but no other details. hmm.... Joel "Wanting to be a They Brother" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:49:29 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Message-ID: Yes, Weird Al apparently "admitted" (basically) to "Everything You Know Is Wrong" as being a stylistic parody of TMBG. This is third-hand or worse information, ie the quote is probably butchered, but the content is correct: Someone: Is "Everything you know is wrong" a parody of They Might Be Giants"? Weird Al: Yes, and thanks for playing our little game! With that said, I wish people would stop saying things like "TMBG should tour with Weird Al", or "TMBG should cover this Weird Al song". I am a fan of both, but it seems like people are trying to jam an artist and a band they both like into the same spot simply because they like them both. (was that last sentence navigable? oh well) It also seems just a little naieve. All things I've ever seen indicate that something like this will never happen. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:54:03 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tiny Toons Question Message-ID: On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 DonkeyPlop@aol.com wrote: > Partical Man was first, then came Istanbul > Trying not to be unnecessarily harsh here, but no. You're wrong. The order was the other way around. Eric Fjellanger That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:40:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323154034_1053411635@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? I heard a while back some commotion on the list about a lawsuit involving the song "XTC vs. Adam Ant" I also heard they had to replace XTC with AKA.... What ever happened with that??? /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > <6. On a long ride, sway side to side at the natural frequency of the elevator. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:55:34 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? Message-ID: > I heard a while back some commotion on the list about a lawsuit involving the > song "XTC vs. Adam Ant" I also heard they had to replace XTC with AKA.... > What ever happened with that??? I think they had to replace it with Etc. vs. Adam Ant if I remember right. -Elitza > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ > < Miscellaneous Tim > > > < AKA > > > < TMB(do)G > > > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > > > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > > <6. On a long ride, sway side to side at the natural frequency of the > elevator. > > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > > < -The Connells > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:56:04 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaking down Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Mar-97 TMBG: DAS, Flood, me breaki.. by SquirlHead@aol.com > That does remind me though-- Now, without questioning Their greatness, and > not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S > BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... well... ok, I have no idea I thought I didn't like it much. I still don't really like the album version, but they played it at the 9:30 club this past December, and it really rocked. of course, the same thing applies to me for the live versions of Twisting, She's Actual Size, and Hide Away Folk Family... I don't particularly care for the album versions, but they are so cool to hear live. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nBNZ1e00awn1iW6E0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:57:37 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Mar-97 TMBG: AKA vs. AKA? by CyburDog@aol.com > I heard a while back some commotion on the list about a lawsuit involving the > song "XTC vs. Adam Ant" I also heard they had to replace XTC with AKA.... > What ever happened with that??? It was a joke... er, rather, an AKA, that got taken way too far. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:07:29 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston? Message-ID: It would be real neat to have a Boston fan meeting. I'll stay in Boston all weekend...as I live a $42 bus ride away, and will need to justify that with a long stay...sop anyways anytime before the show that you would like to meet would be fine. Olivia ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703232133.IAA13643@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: sydney concert Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:33:48 +1100 (EST) From: "yublocka" well since i haven't seen any other posts about last nights sydney concert, just thought i'd saya few things quickly before i make some coffee in an attempt to jerk myself back into the land of the living. firstly, the set list. it was actually pretty similar to the other concerts, although the order was totoaly swapped around - perhaps to try and make us think it was different? anyway, the extra songs that i rememeebr that i hadn't herd in the last shows: i can hear you metal detector spiraling shape they got lost on the drag (?) purple toupee and that's all i can think of. they didn't do the j&j and just the drum machine thinggy this time either. and just one other thing that i found interesting. a radio interview i heard friday night had them talking about the length of their newwer songs compared to the older ones. they seemed to think that the new songs are 'better' (for want of a better word) because they are abled to be fleshed and bridged out, whereas they claim they just couldn't write them long enough back in the ole days. i hadn't heard anyone emntion anythign along those liens ebfore. and due to a tape stuff up, and the fact that none of the people i was with eneded up anywhere near our recorder during the cocnert we only got 1/2 an hour of the show recorded...dammit! tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org Love sees love's happiness But happiness can't see that love is sad Sadness is hanging there To show love somewhere something needs a change -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3335A88D.10D6@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:02:53 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG Ideas How about a J&J music box that has a little model of Linny and Flansy spinning around or playing music or something when you open it? Maybe it could play #3 or something when you open it... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33355754.6412@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:16:20 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Impulse All right, all right, I've sat here for days being open minded and using restraint, but I just can't help it, I must say it: FLOOD IS ONE GREAT GIANTS ALBUM!!!!! Wow, that felt good, Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:12:23 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Message-ID: > > I think writing THEY on our foreheads would be cool! Of course, one > >would survive with THAT for about five, maybe six seconds in > >public.... :) > or many just an 'H' ...(I've done that before) shoehorn with teeth (mike) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:29:11 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323202849_-2106628739@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Cardigans, Flood, price, la la la.. Evan shared: >Cardigans: >They suck. suck suck suck. Oh now wait just a darned minute. :) If you took the time to hear their other stuff, you'd find that they _don't_ suck. :) I thought "Carnival" was a great song, and almost bought "Life" but wasn't too sure.. Then I heard Lovefool (in it's 'early' days, hee hee), and got FBOTM. And I love it. I do admit I've gotten soo sick of Lovefool though. It's their Istanbul/Birdhouse/Particle Man. Heh heh... >To bring up an old topic, (dig dig dig) I just realised that half >the songs on Flood really do suck. I was reminded of this by >my friend, and I hadn't listened to Flood in a while, and it's >true! Evan! What's gotten into you? Heh.. I don't think it sucks. Oh just cause it's Their most popular one...That's no reason to say it sucks. It's all a matter of personal opinion really. >actually flood's the only one that sucks even slightly now >that i think about it...even though it has two of my favorite >tmbg songs (istanbul and birdhouse) Odd. I seem so skip thru Birdhouse, Istanbul and Particle Man. They've succeeded in boring me. But I *love* Hearing Aid, We Want a Rock, and Twisting, and Sapphire Bullets and Women and Men, and Racist Friend...Although. you know. Thinking about it... I'd have to say Flood is probably my least fave, tied with FS - but that's not to say that I don't like either of them... I love them both. >How much do t-shirts and other They products cost at TMBG >concerts? $20 for hats and $20 for t-shirts. >Or how about those cloth boxing puppets (Puppet Head! >Exquisite Dead Guy! Aaack!) of J+J. I actually know the gal that *invented* those. :) The Punching Nuns. I'll plug her website too (http://home.aol.com/mrtisane). >Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Hey! I >stole this idea from Joshua Hall-whatever or whatever his >name is." Is he still alive? ROFL! Yes, yes he is. He was taken over by some game that requires a few mailing lists though. :( Btw - my 7 year old sister got an AOL sceen name - "TMBGAmy". :) (She's buying "Then" for us! Whoo hoo! I only have $5 ). sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:24:14 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: NONTMBG: A travesty Message-Id: Ok, I know it was a rerun, and it has little to do with TMBG except there are many simpsons fans on this list, but something must come out. In one episode, Bart offers the Flanders kids Pixy sticks, but they say they're not allowed to have sugar. In today's episode, Ned says he let Todd buy a box of RED HOTS with a devil on them. RED HOTS! RED HOTS! Like sugar! It's this sort of inconsistency that really makes me mad. ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" -Servo "Here comes the Circus" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:33:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > Mike "I would buy Motorized John Toothbrushes" Leffel >> > > I am starting to fear another THREAD coming on, but I would love J&J Booby > Head dolls! That would be so cooL! > Booby Head dolls? Dare I ask? I may be all tripped up on goofballs, but I'm picturing a marketing coup across the board! I mean, picture the Disney marketing strategy- most people havn't even heard of the movies yet but still they'll buy a t-shirt with a twisted dwarf on it as long as it implies Disney. Then go and see the piece of tripe that Disney trots out for the masses, simply because they feel obligated because they've got the merchandise! So, say we produce tons of Them merchandise- more t-shirts, dolls, lunchboxes, stationery, candy bars, whatever! And sell it at good prices in K-mart, Target, and Meijer- then, every brat will want something, every adult must buy it! They become popular through pure merchandising, Their albums sell like addictive candy, and They become a musical powerhouse unheard of since the Beatles! Think of it people, we form the cabal at the centre of this merchandising empire, we can take over the world and They can be our monarchs! We will crush the peons beneath our feet, no longer can they spit on us due to our choice of music! It will all be ours! Ours! Long live the Johns! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Uh...ahem... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Ohmigod, the dead have risen and are voting Republican!" \\ -Bart, "The Simpsons" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:33:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323213354_449118398@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: A travesty Hm. I was watching that Simpsons episode, too. But I can overlook such a small inconsistency. However, the point of this is: ARGH! NON-TMBG EMAILS! ON THE TMBG MAILING LIST! TOO MANY OF EM! ARGH! -Kamesennin aka Geoff "hoppin' mad" Sondergard. ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:42:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970323214229_-968576914@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My Apologies Once again, I must cover my own ass-- I did not mean that I hate Flood. I do not think Flood is "crap." There is not one TMBG song I do not like (even Hearing Aid). On the other hand, there are some songs I like less than the rest. And, straight after my last post, I had Santa's Beard stuck in my head for a few hours. It's actually not bad, though I still think it is the least listened to TMBG song. I'm probably wrong, but when was the last time anyone on this list mentioned Santa's Beard? To put it bluntly, "I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now." -Dan E. Boy BTW- is it just me, or do I apologize for something in every post? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.16.19970323195709.6027c638@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:57:12 -0700 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Products! ID Badges, TSAK'S...ETC. At 09:33 23/03/97 -0500, you wrote: [plan for world domination] >They can be our monarchs! We will crush the peons beneath our feet, no >longer can they spit on us due to our choice of music! It will all be >ours! Ours! Long live the Johns! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Uh...ahem... Hey yeah, I get it... we can build a little empire out of the blood of the exploited working class! Nah, it's been done. -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703240311.VAA08849@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: NONTMBG: A travesty Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:02:33 -0600 ---------- > From: Mike Leffel > To: Big.Bad.Robbie.G. > Subject: Re: NONTMBG: A travesty > Date: Sunday, March 23, 1997 9:00 PM > > > > ---------- > > From: Big.Bad.Robbie.G. > > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Subject: NONTMBG: A travesty > > Date: Sunday, March 23, 1997 8:24 PM > > > > Ok, I know it was a rerun, and it has little to do with TMBG except there > are > > many simpsons fans on this list, but something must come out. > > > > In one episode, Bart offers the Flanders kids Pixy sticks, but they say > they're > > not allowed to have sugar. > > > > In today's episode, Ned says he let Todd buy a box of RED HOTS with a > devil on > > them. RED HOTS! RED HOTS! Like sugar! > > > > It's this sort of inconsistency that really makes me mad. > > > Enter What Can Not Be Enflamed. The following is Mere opinion. > > Ahem. Simpsons. They are better than God. Inconsitencies > are harmless. Obviously they did that for the devil joke. > It enhances, not destroys. Forget about it. Let the > good that is Simpsonverse seep into your soul. They're > eternally in the same clothes too, and it doesn't matter. So > look PAST the flaws, for they ADD. What about Halloween > episodes? Inconsitency city! It just doesn't matter. Simpsons > are better than God. (expression, BTW) > > > Sorry... but I love the simpsons and I must point > out that. Sorry. > > > Oh, and it is the wrong forum. (sarcasm) > > > > Mike "I _love_ the simpsons, and I'm glad you watch them" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:04:04 +1100 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Setlists Hello All After a few email difficulties I'm back on line. Unfortunately, I haven't heard what the set lists have been at the Australian concerts thus far! Could someone forward them too me please? Plus those people fortunate enough to be in Perth, They are doing an acoustic set at 1.00 pm on Thursday at 78 Records, then signing afterwards. Even a personal life of turmoil and disarray can't keep me from being overjoyed at this!! Maybe the old handy cam could get a bit of use! Signing out 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3335B905.74BE@baka.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:13:09 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: re:Flood >To bring up an old topic, (dig dig dig) I just realised that half >the songs on Flood really do suck. I was reminded of this by >my friend, and I hadn't listened to Flood in a while, and it's >true! No TMBG album will ever suck, at least not compared to a lot of stuff out there, like Oasis, Celine Dion, and the spice girls. But I would have to say I am sick to death of flood. I find myself listening to it less and less as I am told every day I wear my TMBG shirt "Oh yeah, particle man, Istanbul, ha ha." This actually a shame, because it contains some really good songs such as Twisting, Dead, Whistling in the Dark, Your Racist Friend(one of the only TMBG songs ever explicitly about a social issue), and They Might Be Giants. And I still like Birdhouse, despite overplaying. > BTW- is it just me, or do I apologize for something in every post? And I thought that was just me. Never again will I criticize the B-52's in a public forum. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:25:58 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: re:Flood Message-ID: > No TMBG album will ever suck, at least not compared to a lot of stuff > out there, like Oasis, Celine Dion, and the spice girls. But I ...Not Quite As Good As Ezra included, hopefully... who else can I cut on today....Bush....I'm dead tired and not really thinking...I'm sure if I was awake I could think of more.... This actually a shame, because it > contains some really good songs such as Twisting, Dead, Whistling in the > Dark, Your Racist Friend(one of the only TMBG songs ever explicitly > about a social issue), and They Might Be Giants. And I still like > Birdhouse, despite overplaying. I listened to Birdhouse for a week nonstop, but I don't think I have since then much. Then I had Dead in my head for about a week (became a Dead-head ha ha ha), but I still LOVE We Want a Rock and They Might Be Giants, Whistling is something that I want to eventually record....hmmm what else... YRF was something I first heard during the run of Taming of the Shrew...We had fun during that show...before our last performance every radio in the backstage area (about 5) was on our local college station's weeekly ska show and we danced the Time Warp in Elizabethan costumery... sorry I'm drifting a lot.... Elitza (very tired and still being required to sing all day tomorrow against her will completely) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:27:15 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: lesser liked songs Message-ID: > rest. And, straight after my last post, I had Santa's Beard stuck in my head > for a few hours. It's actually not bad, though I still think it is the least > listened to TMBG song. I'm probably wrong, but when was the last time anyone > on this list mentioned Santa's Beard? To put it bluntly, "I was young and > foolish then, I feel old and foolish now." I have to agree that Santa's Beard is the "least good" song off Lincoln. When I first made tape copy of Lincoln, I didn't have enough space, so I sacrificed Santa's Beard. However, I like the song enough to listen to. Okay, this e-mail is kind of pointless, but I had to post because as soon as I read the line, "I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now," I realized that those very lines were coming out of my stereo. It was pretty freaky. Well, speaking of lesser-liked songs, I think that I like every released TMBG song I've heard, with the only exception being the remix of The World's Address. I don't know what They were thinking when they put it on Misc T. Anyway, as a random point in an effort to make this e-mail worth sending, I'll point out that the *only* songs I ever skip when listening to a full album are that lousy remix, Hotel Detective, Particle Man, and O Do Not Forsake Me. I really can't understand why I don't like Hotel Detective much though. I guess I must like it a little since I sometimes sing along to it. -Dan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:08:26 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: EVENLESSTMBG: The Travesty Message-Id: Yes people. I really was being sarcastic. I'm in a weird mood today. But anyway, I've thought about it a lot, and I figure he just bot the red hots. And didn't eat them. Thank you for letting me use your precious bandwidth ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" -Servo "Here comes the Circus" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:24:58 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Santa's Beard. Message-ID: I have always loved Santa's Beard. I loved it before, I still love it, and I imagine I'll love it for a long while to come. I've had yet another TMBG dream, this one involving finding a load of old old old tmbg records I had never heard of at some used record shop and then not having enough cash to buy them. Even when I sleep I torture myself. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 04:31:48 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Message-Id: Subject: NON-TMBG: X-FILES Did anybody watch X-Files tonight? Wasn't that Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer. I didn't recognize the song though. Were they on a X-Files soundtrack? ASB ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:54:54 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: X-FILES Message-ID: On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > Wasn't that Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer. > > Were they on a X-Files soundtrack? > Ayuh! I think that was the first song off of the "Songs in the Key of X" soundtrack. My friend _loved_ that song and it would always be on his stereo when I'd go over there, and although I don't have the cd, I think the song was actually by Foo Fighters. Or maybe not...I could be wrong. Oh, Agent Pendrell, Max, we hardly knew ye! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Ohmigod, the dead have risen and are voting Republican!" \\ -Bart, "The Simpsons" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703240503.AAA19971@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:59:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: What are TMBG fans called? Det. Dave here... I was just wondering...How do you refer to yourself as a fan of TMBG? I have taken to calling myself a "Gianthead" (emphasis on the "giant" not on the "head"). Have any of you come up with anything different/better? Det. Dave ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:17:37 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Hey! I stole this idea from Joshua Hall-whatever or whatever his name is." Is he still alive? Message-ID: On 22 Mar 1997, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > Regarding TMBG products, I would buy pretty much anything that had TMBG on it, > much the same way that my sister buys anything and everything, even t-shirts > that don't fit, of sailor moon. But I think the real question is, If someone > bought on of these products, and only owned flood, would THAT make them a > "fan"? > Well, this "Flood" brouhaha has led me to think about my own statement that a lot of people don't like Flood because everyone else does...and I still kind of stick with this, but would like to ammend it. A lot of people have said on here that the only reaction they get to Them is "Oh, they did that Particle Man song?" or whatever, or substitute "Istanbul" in there...I guess beyond just being tired of the songs, a lot of people are just tired of Flood in general. It's not my favourite, as i said before, but a lot of the songs, by themselves (on my comp tapes, for instance) still stand out on their own, but in the context of the entire album, the whole ensemble is just ho-hum. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that we all recognize that Flood is a great album, but I think we're all just tired of hearing about it. As am I. So I say, let's get out our final comments and drop (re-drop?) this thread! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "Ohmigod, the dead have risen and are voting Republican!" \\ -Bart, "The Simpsons" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Message-Id: <9703240526.AA00650@sncils.snc.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: X-FILES Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:26:29 -0600 (CST) Apologies for propogating a non-TMBG thread, BUT: > Wasn't that Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer. Yeah, that was Soul Coughing, with "Unmarked Helicopters," and yes, it's on the "Songs in the Key of X" soundtrack, and Foo Fighters DID do a song for it, and that was called "Down in the Park"... It's a pretty solid album, and it's got a track of Rob Zombie with Alice Cooper on it! Whoohoo! ****************ObTMBG Content: So THEN is coming out quite soon... Cool! Does anyone know how much it'll be about? I knew there was a reason I didn't buy the Lost Highway soundtrack... over and out, borg "Insanity is the final defense.... It's hard to get a refund when the salesman is sniffing at your crotch and baying at the moon." - Anon. CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.snc.edu/~kucecj ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:43:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324004314_210163842@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens Hello 41- Well, this is going to be a semi-long post, so read the parts you want (none is good too :) FL Shows- Is there going to be anything set up for the shows in St. Pete and Talahassee? I would do something, but I don't really know the St. Pete or Talahassee areas... So who is going to herd all of us together? I am not sure if I'll wear my flag or anything. ####Note#### If any of you, or any of your friends go to the University of Miami, please email me directly. Please please please. Info Club- Well, it's been a long time, but I got most of the stuff I ordered. Very cool. They didn't have my Happy Guy from "Sun" shirt, but I love my Chanukah one. Pink Album on vinyl is cool too. Aus Fans- I am giving props (did I use that right?) to the Austrailian fans who travel far and wide for TMBG. Obviously fans after my own heart. 8^) St. Louis Record Stores- I'm going to have to defend Vintage Vinyl here. It was a really cool place. I did go to other record stores, but I liked Vintage Vinyl. Why? First of all, I got The Devil Went Down To Newport 7" Single on vinyl, which I thought was totally cool. They had all the TMBG albums, and some singles. They had a decent vinyl selection (any FL people, ask me for a way cool vinyl place in DeLand where I got Lincoln). And most cool, they had a section for 90's swing aka Space Age Bachelor Pad Music and other names. I walked out with a Combustible Edison 12" I didn't have. Very cool. So I like it. Flood- I'm going to defend Flood here too. Just because some people bought it, and listened to it, is NOT a reason not to like it. If your complaint, Mr or Mrs. John Q. TMBG Fan is that they *only* have Flood could be Elektra for not doing anything about getting these fans to get more TMBG albums. The early 90's era was a really cool era of the band. They started to expand in the live show, with John and John using other instruments, and metronomes and stuff like that. I like Flood. It's not my favorite, but it's good. You decide what you want to listen to. Al- If he wants to be on the tribute album, it's not hard. Just someone tell him not to call himself "Weird Al." I'm sure he could figure out some other name, he's creative like that. Athens- This might be old, and I might not have stayed current, but did TMBG recently do a show in Athens GA that I didn't know about? Just wondering. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf The only way you get anywhere playing both sides against the middle is on an accordian. Currently in the CD Changer- Monopuff-Unsupervised, Residents-The King and Eye, Coctails-Live At The Lounge Ax, Combustible Edison-Schizophonic, Duplex Planet-The Duplex Planet Hour ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 01:15:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324011533_-1672163907@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: A vaguely OMLT-like substance with a side order of ranting The OMLT Goddess has been sitting up in bed and taking solid foods for several days. We even read her digests occasionally if she behaves. Yesterday she went an entire hour without asking for a cup of coffee and then wistfully pouring it into the toilet, so we figured she could handle a digest or two. We did have to restrain her from smashing the cable box when she heard about Linnell on the Viva Variety commercial, but she settled down fairly quickly. Then we reached this post: <> (etc, etc) The "dancing flag-wavers" are called a color guard. They have large, heavy flags (which have nothing to do with either jackasses or school spirit), and occasionally rifles or sabres, that they will use to beat to death anyone who dares call them cheerleaders. Your beloved OMLT goddess happens to be a member of her school's guard, and she wishes to inform you all that the entire group loves TMBG. Everyone loves Flood, of course, but at least a third were sighted at the December DC concert, and two are certified TMBG fanatics. And, the Goddess added, "*We* are usually the ones who get the 'Aaah! Freak!' eyes." We were happy that she was speaking with emotion about some topic other than that skinny guy, so we let her rant for a while. Our advice is that nobody slam guard members again, because your Goddess has one of those big ol' flags, a nasty temper, and (thanks to the OMLT order collection) she has many of your addresses. << Of course, this is just plain crazy. Maybe we should get ID badges to carry in public. It sure would make meeting other True Fans a lot easier: "Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm offical TMBG fan #42" or something like that. ... Isn't this what OMLT is sorta meant for?>> Aaaaaaugh!!! No, no, no!!! The OMLT is not meant as a way to catagorize TMBG fans or to satisfy the elitist urges of "True Fans." It's just an ad for the list, and a way for proud list members to be able to recognize each other without having to stand up at concerts and yell "Hey! Anyone else on the list?" and get funny looks. Come on, people! This True Fan business is bull. If people like to listen to TMBG, even if it's just one song or one album, for God's sake, can't we let them without having to catagorize them into the "real" or "poser" catagories? So what if a couple of dorks can't remember the name of Istanbul? If they like the song, let them go out and buy the album and listen to the song a couple of times and then forget about Them completely. Whether or not they know the names of the Johns, it's a few more dollars in Their pockets and it's one more tiny bit of Brooklyn love that makes its way into someone's life. So what if the only album most people own is Flood? Most of the people on this list probably started out with that album, whether they admit it or not. It is certainly where the Goddess started. We should be glad that some of the general public can at least say "Oh, those funny Particle Man guys from Tiny Toons" instead of saying "Who?" Instead of writing angry e-mail to the list about how everybody who only owns one album is stupid and only True TMBG Fans deserve to live, we should think "Hmmm... one whole album... another 50 cents (or whatever the artist gets from each album sale) towards John Jr's college fund." Anyway, the point is that the OMLT team wants no part of your petty status quibbling. Thank you. While we're in the tri-county region of the subject, SEND YOUR OMLT FINAL ORDERS NOW!!!! We will stop collecting orders soon after the Goddess returns from her Easter trip. Send mail to christy@tmbg.org with ALL this info: --number, *sizes* of shirts desired (remember, $1.25 extra for XXL) --name and address you want the shirt shipped to --e-mail address used most OMLT= Official Mailing List T-shirt. Shirts will cost between 9-10 dollars, not including postage. Yes, non-Americans can order them, but remember *you* are paying postage. No bootleg trades, please. If you cannot order an OMLT now due to financial or other constraints but would be able to buy one later, e.g after final orders are due, e-mail me and I'll tell you what to do. Come on, folks... we got over 100 tentative orders a month or two ago. Now we have only half that many final orders. We are forced to attribute this slowness to order to the spring breaks that many people are on now, but we'd really like to get this show on the road soon. Remember, prices are better for larger orders... if we don;t get 100 orders, the shirt price may rise. If you don't get a reply to your order, even if you included some incredibly witty joke or flattery or marriage proposal, don't despair. It just means our laces are tired from typing. Similarly, if you asked a question that we don't reply to, check the digest. Chances are, the question has been answered in public. --Christy's Shoes ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703240648.AAA12696@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: A vaguely OMLT-like substance with a side order of ranting Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:40:06 -0600 The following is NOT anti-Christi587@aol.com. PL:EASE do not take it in that manner. I am nothing if not Don Rickles. > > The "dancing flag-wavers" are called a color guard. They have large, heavy > flags (which have nothing to do with either jackasses or school spirit), and > occasionally rifles or sabres, that they will use to beat to death anyone who > dares call them cheerleaders. Your beloved OMLT goddess happens to be a > member of her school's guard, and she wishes to inform you all that the > entire group loves TMBG. Everyone loves Flood, of course, but at least a > third were sighted at the December DC concert, and two are certified TMBG > fanatics. And, the Goddess added, "*We* are usually the ones who get the > 'Aaah! Freak!' eyes." Then quit being so damn chipper about life. Ahem. My 'color guard' is still comprised of cheerleaders. I'm sure some Nazis were cool too. Mike "No Cheerleaders Is Good Cheerleaders, I Don't Care" Leffel For all you tuning in, I'm merely being 'Humourously Sarcastic'. TMBG CONTENT: My radio station played BNL the other night. I had half a mind to call them and suggest TMBG, but in a town where the religious nuts demanded we get rid of the movie "Showgirls" for "Assassins", and then ran "Striptease" with no problems for three months, why would I want to expose them to They??? --Mike "And it's true, also" Leffel And don't bug me if you know cool religious nuts, either. :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-83 *****************************