Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-84 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 84 Tuesday, 25 March 1997 Today's Topics: (none) Re: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens TMBG: SenSurround Re: TMBG: Siblings TMBG: cementing my fanship Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story/POLK TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 3 TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 4 TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 2 (long) Re: TMBG: cementing my fanship TMBG: Santa's Beard, Skipped Songs, Giantheads, Flood RE: TMBG: cementing my fanship TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety TMBG: about non-tmbg messages TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too RE: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit RE: TMBG: Flood RE: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" TMBG: about the OMLT NONTMBG: SNL RE: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens Re: TMBG: Flood TMBG: Man question Re: TMBG: "Secret song" auf FS TMBG: Hi, I'm back! Any messages for me? TMBG: Mystery Message Grab Bag! Re: TMBG: Santa's Beard, Skipped Songs, Giantheads, Flood Re: TMBG: Man question TMBG: True Fans TMBG: Santa's Beard TMBG: Re: Viva and Then TMBG: AKA vs. AKA, Viva Variety, Cardigans, Sensurround, COWTOWN TMBG: You Like TMBG... Do You Know Why? Re: TMBG: True Fans Re: TMBG: Santa's Beard TMBG:Santa's Beard TMBG: Not foo Re: TMBG: True Fans TMBG: Hello TMBG:video TMBG: tangling all the threads TMBG: Cuper Vargas -- an update!!! TMBG: Reiterations are Fun! Re: TMBG:Santa's Beard Re: TMBG: True Fans Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 02:22:15 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Message-ID: Elitza wrote: > 3. They should cover Al's parody of "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmm" or a > song I heard on the oldies station tonight about the Battle of New > Orleans, how perfect would that be? The Battle of New Orleans was a *big* hit song a ways back ('50's? early '60's?) and the guy that sang it was John and John's inspiriation to do "educational" songs like JKP. How do I know this? They said so on Idiot's Delight, 2/2/97 Ellen noticed: > Speaking of which, I have a complaint about this list...there are a few > people on here who post every five minutes a one sentence post that > really doesn't make such a good read. I've noticed this as well, and yeah yeah it's really easy to delete them and get on with your life, but sometimes I just think "now why in the world did he/she just post that stupid message?" Kirsten said: > I just got back from a Wally Pleasant concert, and it was *the* coolest > thing! Yes! I must agree with Kirsten here, Wally is probably the coolest thing to hit Michigan since.....well, since a long time ago :) I went to some shows of his last fall while visiting our dear departed friend Ruprecht (ok so he's not really dead, just haven't seen him in a long time) and Wally is a great person. He even remembered who I was from week to week (mainly because I told him "hey, I drove 3 hours from Ohio to see you!" He was tres impressed) So anyhow, find Wally (or Wally albums) and listen much. Vlad Drakul opened his coffin long enough to write: > How about a J&J music box that has a little model of Linny and Flansy > spinning around or playing music or something when you open it? Maybe > it could play #3 or something when you open it... Yeah, they could be wearing little pink tutus like my ballerina music box....oh wait, let's not start the whole "drag" thread again. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: Is There A Ring Of Debris Around Uranus? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:47:00 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens Message-ID: On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Info Club- Well, it's been a long time, but I got most of the stuff I > ordered. Very cool. They didn't have my Happy Guy from "Sun" shirt, but I > love my Chanukah one. Pink Album on vinyl is cool too. Oh no! I was just going to order the Man shirt! Do they ever restock items like this, or will I have to wait until I see someone wearing this shirt and take it off them before they notice? AARRRGGHHH!!! And am I the only one who likes the World's Address remix? I am, aren't I? I *knew* it. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 03:05:26 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: TMBG: SenSurround Message-ID: Is anyone else as obsessed with this song as I am? like, along the lines of listening to it on repeat for an hour and a half ;) I told you I was obsessed... Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Siblings Message-ID: <19970324.065809.4342.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 06:57:24 EST On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:22:11 -0500 (EST) Yoel97@aol.com writes: >What do we know about J&J's siblings. From an interview, I heard that >JF had >a brother, but no other details. hmm.... > I know that They each have at least one older brother;-) Jen ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:09:04 +1100 (EST) Message-Id: From: jmacris@ozemail.com.au (John Macris) Subject: TMBG: cementing my fanship Well, it was most likely the 1995 Sydney show I attended that led to TMBG being my favourite band from the northern hemisphere, but the two shows I just saw took them another rung up my esteem ladder. I particularly loved the Sunday show both because of inclusion of Spiraling Shape, Metal Detector, Your Own Worst Enemy and Purple Toupee, and also because I decided to be a participant near the front (and in the conga) rather than standing back watching as I had the previous night. This getting into the action left me ecstatic and damp for the obvious reasons, and pleasently confused becuase I had always had a low opinion of the moshing fraternity right until that moment when Birdhouse started. Now I've done some bouncing of my own I'll have to rethink my views. Dissappointments: I neglected to buy a shirt and they didn't play The Bells or Statue. Just on the subject of growing sick of heavily played songs/albums, this is one band for whom I don't often experience that. I put it down to the lyrics and how engaging they are. I discovered Them when Statue was first played on radio here. I'll spare the details but it caught my attention like few songs ever have and all this time later I always find it worth a listen. Flood is fine, I bought it third (after Apollo 18 and Lincoln) and I'll vouch for it being fine and of ample quailty for a TMBG album. John ------------------------------ Date: 24 Mar 1997 13:17:24 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc3854$29c7cea0$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG Story/POLK > POLK uncensored? > What does thew censored version sound like? > I haven't heard it, but was told that at some recent radio show they changed the lyrics and somebody was a "waffler" if I recall. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 24 Mar 1997 13:17:18 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc3850$5aef42a0$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 3 Yo all Woke up at about 10am and checked out. Hung around the city until the bus to Melbourne was ready to leave (12:15pm). Melbourne is 300 miles by air from Canberra, and the doors opened at 8pm, so I was cutting it fine. Jane Gazzo, the DJ from Trple J called me on my cellular to tell me that she couldn't make it to the Melbourne show that night and that I could have her ticket. I could not believe her luck, and promised that I would meet her ot the studios the following day. I also thanked her again for the tickets to the TV show the next day. Being quite tired I slept for a bit of the way down. Pulled into Melbourne Depot around 9pm in something of a panic. I got in the first taxi to the Palace (with all my gear) and went and signed in (I was on the guest list as a result of the ticket). The set was the same as the night before, but the songs were performed quite a bit differently. Again I was directly in front of Linnell, front row. Flans stood for a while with one leg on the stage and the other on the barricade. At the end of Istanbul he held out his new Les Paul and let members of the audience strum it. After the show I asked one of the roadies for a stick, and he gave me one. I then went down and waited out back. Linnell had already walked back to the hotel and it wasn't long before Flans did the same. As he went, some people grabbed him for an autograph and I got in line. He kept walking as he wrote, and I thanked him for the show. He said he was tired and didn't really enjoy it that much. I waited back for the others. Dan and Graham hung about out back for a bit, and I said hi. Graham recognised me, and I had my picture taken with each of them. Dan signed my stick, and I asked him why in God's name I had called him Levine (in my previous post). Graham said I had mixed him up with the guy who used to play trombone (I think that's what he said). They left butI stayed and helped the roadies load the truck again. They gave me one of Flans' picks and 2 of Graham's. We stayed back and drank and all left at around 4am. I still didn't have somewhere to stay, so I went to the only open Youth Hostel. I had to share a room with 7 strangers (who were all asleep) but I was leaving early so that was ok, except that they stunk. I was pretty drunk and had to be up before 8am, I wasn't sure I could do it (remember, no alarm clock). -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 24 Mar 1997 13:17:22 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc3850$6305e0c0$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 4 G'day guys If you choose not to believe this next instalment, that's ok. Hell, I was there and I still don't believe it. I made it to the studio at 8:30am Saturday and said who I was at reception. I was expecting to be put with all the rest of the audience and shown to a seat, but instead I was allowed to access all areas as a special guest (holy fuck, how did I pull this off?? Thank you Jane Gazzo from Triple J). I wandered around a bit, then asked if there was somewhere to charge my cellular battery. I was taken to the make-up room and plugged it in. I looked up just as Linnell walked in and took his seat. The make-up girl put a tiny amount powder on and he got up and kept watching the monitor in the room (the show had begun). I said that I had loved the first 3 shows and with an impish smile as only Linnell can produce he said thanks. I asked if he would mind signing an autograph and he said it would be pleasure. I sprinted back to the green room and got my shirts (one for me, and I bought one for Jane Gazzo as a thank-you the night before), and double timed it back. He waited for me, signed them both, then thanked me. In the hall I saw Graham and Dan, and Graham said "Hi Royce". I was stunned, I said hi back and fumbled him a pen and Jane's shirt. They both signed it and I thanked them very much. While the show was going I ran into Linnell and Flans many times around the studio (in makeup while Flans was blow-drying his hair, and Linnell came and stood next to me while another band was performing). They did a warm up of both songs (SEXXY and TIL) before the real thing. The hilight was watching Dan on TIL (he would "uppercut" the cymbals during the chorus). The host then interviewed the John's about five foot away from my position (remember, I was on the floor). After the interview, the host had a heap of stuff for autographs and They started signing. I walked over and gave them my pen and got my homemade Live in NY City cover signed by both of them. The show finished and They left, so I headed out to the radio station to meet Jane. I went up to this huge techno-building that was the ABC headquarters (JJJ is an arm of the ABC). I met Jane for the first time, thanked her for everything and gave her her shirt (with all autographs except Flans'). We chatted for a bit before I realised that I was about to miss my plane back to Sydney (450 miles). I hopped a cab and double-timed it to the airport. If my plane wasn't late I would have missed it. I got to Sydney and went straight to the JJJ studios there. I met Richard Kingsmill (another DJ) who asked about the concerts. He apologised for the indefinite postponement of the promised 3hour TMBG special, but asked if I would do a brief phone-in interview. I said sure (hell, it is a national broadcaster) and he said he would call me sometime Sunday arvo. I left around 5:30pm trying to find somewhere to sleep. I went to the venue around 7pm (the doors open 9:30) and went to the bar. As I was going upstairs, I looked up and saw Linnell coming down. He said "Hi" and I replied in the same. That was way cool. I went and got my tix (the show was a sellout, lucky I booked way in advance) and left for some dinner. I came back and met Tamara at the show. The Simpletons rocked, and I like them so much now I bought their CD. The drummer recognised me during their set which was cool. They came on and played the same setlist again, and yet again I was front row in front of Linnell. They still had a different way of doing the songs though, and at the end Flansburgh broke all the strings on his red Gibson. After the show I stayed by the stage to again see what happened. The security started moving people out and I thought it was over. I saw the tour manager and struck up a conversation. He went backstage so I went out to the bar, got my bag and bought a beer. I was halfway through it when the other roadies came out and joined me. We started drinking in earnest and about 10 minutes later Flans joined us and stood next to where I was sitting. After a while they decided to go back for drinks at the hotel, so I grabbed one of the roadies bags and carried it for him. I walked next to Flans most of the way, and went into the hotel with them. We all went to the roof, and Flans joined us about ten minutes later. He stayed for a couple of hours but went to bed around 4am. The rest hit the sack at 6am, which is when I left for the hostel. What a night. I have to check out in less than 4 hours :-) -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 24 Mar 1997 13:17:15 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc3843$98397d40$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story - Part 2 (long) Heya gang, Well, Wednesday at work was tough, and I started hallucinating while watching my monitor at work. Got away from work on time, but successfully managed to do nothing all evening. My second wind came and went and tiredness set in with a bang. I had a lie down to "rest my eyes" before I packed and....... shit!!!! It's 6:30am and I haven't packed!! My plane leaves in around 2 hrs!! I threw some shirts, undies and sox into my bag and left in an awful rush. Made good time to the airport, and so had no problem making my flight. We took off at 8:40am Brisbane time, heading down to Sydney, around 500 miles south. Australian time-zones are a funny thing. Brisbane and Sydney are at the same longitude, but they are an hour ahead (daylight saving). Anyhow, I get out of Sydney airport at around Midday, still needing to get another 150+ miles to Canberra. My ride to the gig, Tamara, lives in a town called Wollongong (which is Aboriginal for "See, the monster comes") which is about an hour and a half drive away. She is leaving for the show at 2pm, and I need to find my way there. I call the bus company, and they have no buses until 4pm. Panic sets in, so I call the train info line and they have a train that can be in Wollongong at a little after 2pm. "Great, when does it leave?" At 12:38 comes the answer. Shit!! The airport is 10 miles from the train station. I get on the first shuttle bus at 12:10, and arrive at the station at 12:30. If I had missed that train my whole tour would be stuffed. I make it to Wollongong at a little after 2pm, and wait a couple of minutes for Tamara to show up. We do our introductions and begin our drive to Canberra. The ride and company were good, until Tam showered me with her drink (hi Tam ;-) , just kidding). We reach Canberra city somewhere before 5pm, and Tam drops me in the city. Although I have no accommodation at this point, we make a beeline for the local import record shop. I bought what I believe to be the last available PAL version of the Video Compilation (my copy at home is very worn). Tamara leaves me to meet her other friends, and I head off in a strange city looking for a cheap place to stay. I see this guy in a TMBG Oz tour shirt, and go over to say hi. I get a little closer and OH MY GOD, it's Graham Maby. I go over, shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed the Brisbane show. He thanked me, asked my name, and made some small talk. I asked if I could take his photo, which he declined. He also said no to an autograph, but that he would fix me up after the show. I thanked him and left, just as a very lost Tamara came up asking for help to find her car. She saw me talking to Graham though. I left her and came across a $20 a night youth hostel and checked in. Before heading to the concert, I joined the other guys in the lounge room and asked any of them if they were going to the TMBG concert. This dude, David Menscheik from Queens said he was. (he also says he knows a lot of the listies so mail me if you do). We went to check out the venue, and there THEY WERE!!!! John and John, inside the venue (a refectory, with glass all around so you could see Them). Linnell was their wearing glasses, and Flans had his guitar. They were alone with a large fruit platter working out a couple of songs. Nerves got the better of me and we didn't go in. David and I went back to the hostel and to get some dinner. Got to the ANU Bar at around 8pm. Bought another tour shirt for Graham to sign after the show. Met up with Tamara and listies Peter and Brett. Took my position front row in line with Graham. The Simpletons opened again and I really dug them this time. I think I could like these guys. They came on to a warm reception, but Graham's amp blew during NYC. The show was good, with some great lines from They. Flansy called the conga, and said the conga should head over that way (pointing at the bar), liberate the booze, give it to these guys (the stage security) who can then give it to the band. During the band intros I heard the strangest thing. The drummer was introduced as Dan Hickey. On to that later. NYC RHYTHM SLEEP / SPIDER BIRD ENSOR [CANNON] POLK ACTUAL PARTICLE OLDER / SPY FLANS LINNELL BROOM #3 / 32 FT XTC / EXQ COUNTER SING REPLACE [FULL TEMPO] PET NAME [DAN AND GRAHAM] [LATIN IN C] NO ONE / GTR TIL THANK YOU'S ------------------------ SHOE TWIST DIG ------------------------ WHERE SEXXY ISTANBUL After the show I waited for that promised autograph from Graham. I went back into the bar and saw Mike, the tour manager. I said hi and sat near him. One of the roadies asked him for a hand, but he was busy so I offered to help. I went out the back and moved some heavy stuff. I got a couple of Dan's sticks and waited for the band members to come to the bus. Linnell came first and hopped straight in. I said "great show" and he thanked me. Flans got in the bus so it was just Dan and Graham left. As Dan came by I got him to sign my tour shirt (yipee) and he went. The bus started as Graham came out, and there was about three people waiting for autographs. The guys from the bus told him to come now and he was about to leave. I said "Graham, it's Royce", and he said "Oh, hi, how'd you like the show". Flans was pissed off and yelled at Graham so I let him go and they sped off. But I got his autograph. It was around 2am Friday so I went back to the hostel and to sleep. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:42:32 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: cementing my fanship Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Mar-97 TMBG: cementing my fanship by John Macris@ozemail.com. > Dissappointments: I neglected to buy a shirt and they didn't play The Bells > or Statue. They have never played The Bells in concert. I'm not sure what the reason is - they can certainly handle the instrumentation if they just allow Linnell to cover for the bells on the piano... the vocals may be a bit difficult for them, though... I think on the album it's all Linnell, which is impossible in concert. As far as Statue... well, I think the last time they ever played it was 8/17/96... it's gone... at least for now. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703241408.OAA27715@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:52:45 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Santa's Beard, Skipped Songs, Giantheads, Flood >That does remind me though-- Now, without questioning Their greatness, and >not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S >BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... well... ok, I have no idea >what I'm trying to say, but Lincoln is damn near perfect without it! It >belongs on Flood with the rest of the crap!!!!!!! Santa's Beard is really a great song! Prolly not as good as most of Lincoln, but it really is a lot of fun, and I was quite pleased to hear it live in Rochester. You'll miss Me is the bottom of the barrel of that album IMO. >Well, speaking of lesser-liked songs, I think that I like every >released TMBG song I've heard, with the only exception being the remix of >The World's Address. I don't know what They were thinking when they put >it on Misc T. Anyway, as a random point in an effort to make this e-mail >worth sending, I'll point out that the *only* songs I ever skip when >listening to a full album are that lousy remix, Hotel Detective, Particle >Man, and O Do Not Forsake Me. I really can't understand why I don't like >Hotel Detective much though. I guess I must like it a little since I >sometimes sing along to it. Sometimes I'll skip a couple too...usually Spy & O Do Not Forsake me on JH, I Can Hear You on FS, You'll Miss Me on Lincoln. Usually when I listen to Flood it is just for a few songs anyway, so I just skip to them and leave out the rest. On the Remix issue, I really do like the World's Address Joshua Fried Remix... You have to be in the right kinda mood for it though. My least fave tmbg song is also a remix though, snail dust on Back to Skull...I hate it to no end. >I was just wondering...How do you refer to yourself as a fan of TMBG? I have >taken to calling myself a "Gianthead" (emphasis on the "giant" not on the >"head"). My friends and I used this a little, but I don't like the Greatful Dead similarity, I try to avoid association with them. Then we got to thinking that the classic 'DeadHead' was actually meant for us, since who better to wear the name then fans of the band that is most obsessed with Heads and Death? However, if we call ourselves DeadHeads, noone would understand (no one knows my plan!), so perhaps DeathHeads? Fun! :) And finally, here's my take on the Flood thing. I like the album. I love the album. Yes, I've heard the 'big 3' too often and they are always talked about amoung semi-fans so I'm a bit sick of 'em. I do still like them, though, and listen to them now and again. Flood also has a lot of other great songs and a lot of not-so-good songs. Compared to albums like lincoln and apollo 18 which are almost perfect from front to back, it just can't compete, but it is still a tmbg classic...there ya go. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC38BB.32969360@p10.cc.ts1.hartingdale.com.au> From: Andrew Subject: RE: TMBG: cementing my fanship Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 01:23:50 +1100 I agree, the show was brilliant, except for the short sweaty guy in the hawaiian shirt who kept hitting me in the chest, and the tall drunk guy who kept yelling "Birdhouse in your soul" over and over even though it had been played 3/4 of an hour earlier All in all, I think I preferred the show from '95, but this was definately the best show I've seen since that one Gotta love the Giants... Andrew... glad to be back on here after a 9 month absence -----Original Message----- From: John Macris [SMTP:jmacris@ozemail.com.au] Sent: Monday, 24 March 1997 23:09 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: cementing my fanship Well, it was most likely the 1995 Sydney show I attended that led to TMBG being my favourite band from the northern hemisphere, but the two shows I just saw took them another rung up my esteem ladder. I particularly loved the Sunday show both because of inclusion of Spiraling Shape, Metal Detector, Your Own Worst Enemy and Purple Toupee, and also because I decided to be a participant near the front (and in the conga) rather than standing back watching as I had the previous night. This getting into the action left me ecstatic and damp for the obvious reasons, and pleasently confused becuase I had always had a low opinion of the moshing fraternity right until that moment when Birdhouse started. Now I've done some bouncing of my own I'll have to rethink my views. Dissappointments: I neglected to buy a shirt and they didn't play The Bells or Statue. Just on the subject of growing sick of heavily played songs/albums, this is one band for whom I don't often experience that. I put it down to the lyrics and how engaging they are. I discovered Them when Statue was first played on radio here. I'll spare the details but it caught my attention like few songs ever have and all this time later I always find it worth a listen. Flood is fine, I bought it third (after Apollo 18 and Lincoln) and I'll vouch for it being fine and of ample quailty for a TMBG album. John ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Message-Id: <199703241431.JAA28400@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 24 Mar 1997 09:29:26 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Comedy Central is advertising a new show called "Viva Variety" which is basically The State, only they pass it off as "Europe's most Celebrated TV SHow" anyway, in one of the promos, they show short clips of some of their musical guests, including Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Cibo matto, and good ol' TMBG. Basically you can see Linell really good singing and playing keyboards then a guy playing guitar and lookin real wild... i believe it musta been schemememrermerhorn cause he was playin it right handed... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:54:32 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: about non-tmbg messages Message-ID: I was thinking : since everyone seems to hate non-tmbg messages, but no one complains about quotes and stuff below the people's name, why not just write non-tmbg messages below your name...here's an example : man, is sensurround a great song. shoehorn with teeth (mike) is anyone else fervently against goat abuse? go to theShuffler's Domain : http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2441 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970324145833.00676c90@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:58:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: We Might Be Giants, Too I got another letter back from Bermuda Schwartz, Al's drummer, that sounds *very* promising. :> TTYL, -Adam > >I'll check it out and pass along the info to Al. > >Thanks, > >jon /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:04:15 -0800 >---------- >From: Joe Teagno[SMTP:99teajoe@james.hawken.edu] >Sent: Saturday, March 22, 1997 6:36 AM >To: maleffel@ncfcomm.com >Cc: They Might Be Giants Mailing List >Subject: TMBG: Re: Give Me Some More Of That Old Janx Spirit > >... I mean, I probably know a lot >more TMBG trivia than all of them put together, but to this day I can't >name all the members of the band after John & John. Don't feel so bad. Other than John and John, the cast changes every other minute. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Flood Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:10:20 -0800 >---------- >From: Lawrence P Solomon[SMTP:lps+@andrew.cmu.edu] >Sent: Saturday, March 22, 1997 9:57 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood > >the album itself is not irritating. its popularity, however, is, >because They have 5 other great albums. (not counting Misc T because >They don't) Um, actually, they DO list it as one of their albums (not with the EP's) on their official web site. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:14:11 -0800 >---------- >From: Kamesennin@aol.com[SMTP:Kamesennin@aol.com] >Sent: Saturday, March 22, 1997 12:11 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Weird Al's "Tribute Song to TMBG" > >If this has already been discussed to death, then do not read any further... > >I had heard somebody say that Weird Al's song "Everything You Know is Wrong" >is a tribute to the Johns, and since apparently Weird ALl is known to pay >tribute to musical artists like this, I figured, "Yeah, maybe." But in >listening to the song again, the TMBG references struck me: The Prosthetic >Lips guy, mailing a letter to his Evil Twin, the Disembodied Head, and more >that I can't think of now. What I am wondering are the following things: > >Has there been any official confirmaiton from Weird Al himself about this >song really being a tribute to They, and In an interview, he admitted it was a tribute to Them. >Has anyone else found any more TMBG references in the song? If you have an >.mp3 player, you can download the whole song from ftp://128.153.208.47:/Mp3 >Music/Humor/Weird Al/ . > ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:28:30 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: about the OMLT Message-id: <01IGVNPOH1BQJ1HB14@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network i have been lax on my readings of digests and therefore contain little knowledge of the t-shirt. could someone please send me either a. info b. the web address where i can take a peek? thanks sam ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: NONTMBG: SNL Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:16:42 -0800 Just wanted to post this, since there's so many fans of theirs on this list *snicker*... The SPICE GIRLS are the musical guests on Sat Night Live this next saturday! (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record stores, Flood, Al, Athens Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:39:43 -0800 >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Sunday, March 23, 1997 11:47 PM >To: NitpickR@aol.com >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG- FL Shows, Info Club, Aus fans, St. Louis record >stores, Flood, Al, Athens > >And am I the only one who likes the World's Address remix? I am, aren't >I? I *knew* it. Nope. Actually, I thought the song was just okay until I heard the remix. (: > -Lani O:) >lanio@u.washington.edu Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:46:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Mar-97 RE: TMBG: Flood by "McClusky, Jesse"@PSS.bo > Um, actually, they DO list it as one of their albums (not with the EP's) > on their official web site. No, it's not. Read the insert in Factory Showroom - it says: Factory Showroom: They Might Be Giants Sixth Album hmmmm... counting Misc T I get 7. It's a compilation of b-sides and remixes, not an album. (also, you don't need to CC everything to me in personal email - I do read the list :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:07:01 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Man question Message-ID: Does anyone know if the WDTSS man is an original drawing for TMBG, or did it come from somewhere else? I need to know if there's any way it could accidentally be affiliated with something other than They before I 'borrow' the picture for something. And yes, I know he's not the Monopoly guy. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: 24 Mar 1997 19:44:46 GMT From: "George Gorely" Message-ID: <01bc388b$366db3e0$451a93cf@alpha> Organization: GYORGY Subject: Re: TMBG: "Secret song" auf FS No replies? Elitza, please translate (If possible) this message back to Uwe auf Deutsch, bitte. To find the "secret track" auf FS, begin to play the first track, and then rewind it. If you rewind it, it will go back before the first track, and then you can let it play. It is about one minute before the first track. By the way, did you find out what auBeren means? Wann mochtet ihr essen? Ich habe Zeit, und werde fruh kommen. Ich auch lerne Deutsch, und mochte THEN kaufen. Ich werde zuruck sein. Aufwiedersehen! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:24:11 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199703242024.MAA02517@f17.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Hi, I'm back! Any messages for me? Hello listies! Anastasia here, back from Spring Break and..well, recovered. My plan was to party and work. Instead, I nursed a nasty cold.:P I looked at the digest archives briefly. Did anything happen that I should know about? I know it's a little early, but anyone going to the KU show please, please email me privately. I'd like to organize a party. Also, would the following listies mail me: Heather Tinkler, Cortney Klump,and Jesse McClusky. Thanks! Anastasia "Hi honey, I'm home!" Hunt Upcoming concerts Beck-State Fairgrounds TNT Building 4/6 TMBG- KU 5/3 Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "I've been leaving on my things, so in the morning when the morningbird sings there's still dinner on my dinner jacket till the dinner bell rings":)TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970324153622.007c2b60@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:36:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Mystery Message Grab Bag! "True Fans": Alright, here's an idea for you... we can define the "Requirements" for a "True Fan" (ie, Owns ALL the albums, has been to at least one concert) then, we tatoo "NON-TMBG" onto the back of their right hand. That way, no one will mistake them for "True Fans" and we can discriminate accordingly! (SARCASM! SARCASM! It's sarcasm folks!) Viva Variety: That doesn't look like Eric Shermermurmerrhorn on the clip... I thought it was Graham maby, rocking on bass... but I could be wrong, I've only seen the clip 2 or 3 times. Then: It's almost here! It's almost here! Of course some of you have had it for a while, some of you got it for free, and some of you have had the Sampler for a while, and I've already heard most of the unreleased songs, by way of the Demo Tape, or through Real Audio...... Why am I buying this anyway? Oh yeah! Better Sound Quality and 32 Page Booklet! That's why! -ec Another Pointless Message Borught To You By http://center.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 15:39 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Santa's Beard, Skipped Songs, Giantheads, Flood You'll miss Me is the bottom of the barrel of that album >IMO. I used to hate "You'll Miss Me," but lately I've become very attached to it. I'm not sure why.. >And finally, here's my take on the Flood thing. I like the album. I love >the album. Yes, I've heard the 'big 3' too often and they are always talked >about amoung semi-fans so I'm a bit sick of 'em. I do still like them, >though, and listen to them now and again. Same here. And I have to to admit, when I saw TMBG for the first and only time in my life thus far, I was literally almost in tears when they played "Birdhouse." I was just so overcome by emotion and nostalgia. *sigh* Too bad my mom is cruel and evil and won't let me see them at Calvin... ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:47:05 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Man question Message-ID: > Does anyone know if the WDTSS man is an original drawing for TMBG ... And yes, I know he's not the Monopoly guy. :) ~~hmmm...not sure if i've posted this before..but hey, here it is again : visit theShuffler's Domain for the difference between The Man and Rich Uncle Pennybags (the monopoly guy) http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/5908/ shoehorn with teeth (mike) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <333697E5.36FE@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:04:05 +0000 From: "Richard E. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: True Fans A true Giants fan must own one sock from both Flans and Graham We all now that someone is really stupid if they dont know Linnell's mom's shoe size! And of course, a true Giants fan must bathe in Flan's sweat once a month. How about Flansburgh's eyglass prescription. EVERYBODY knows that! Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703242112.QAA14989@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:12:55 EST From: Ride Across the Sky Subject: TMBG: Santa's Beard ** Reply to note from SquirlHead@aol.com Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:55:45 -0500 (EST) Hi... > not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S > BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... well... ok, I have no idea Yep, I do. Honestly! :) It's in the same groove (IMO) as "They'll Need a Crane," which I also like a bunch. Oh... just between you and me, I happen to like everything on Flood except "Sapphire Bullets" and the "Theme from Flood". :-p Just because everyone's been dumping on Flood ("15 of the 19 songs on it are my absolute favorites, but because the other 4 are only so-so I think the whole album sucks!") I think I'm going to put it in my CD changer along with a couple of Joe Satriani discs and leave them on for the rest of the day. [Maniacal laughter...] Har har, =] Carl Hudkins + chud@vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] This is the last song; [h ] go home now and rest And we're never gonna tour again [e =] --Mystery Box --They Might Be Giants [r ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970324165702.00c60c30@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:57:05 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: Re: Viva and Then >Viva Variety: >That doesn't look like Eric Shermermurmerrhorn on the clip... I thought it >was Graham maby, rocking on bass... but I could be wrong, I've only seen >the clip 2 or 3 times. Though it was a two second clip, from what I can tell, the only visible people are Linnell and Maby. >Then: >It's almost here! It's almost here! Of course some of you have had it for a >while, some of you got it for free, and some of you have had the Sampler >for a while, and I've already heard most of the unreleased songs, by way of >the Demo Tape, or through Real Audio...... Why am I buying this anyway? Oh >yeah! Better Sound Quality and 32 Page Booklet! That's why! I've heard that the sampling is worth it. Just to hear the classics remastered. Of course, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. The booklet sounds pretty nifty, though. If only John Flansburgh personally gave me MY copy a month early. Some people have all the luck. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:17:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324181517_-1370731258@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA, Viva Variety, Cardigans, Sensurround, COWTOWN Someone said they heard XTC vs. Adam Ant was changed to AKA vs. Adam Ant. Are you sure you're not thinking of NyQuil Driver/AKA Driver? Viva Variety will be on April 1st at 10:00 PM. And yes, that was Grahm Maby in the commercial! He's so cool at concerts! hint: watch his face! I've hated the Cardigans ever since the first time I heard Lovefool. I'm pretty obsessed with Sensurround myself. No where near as much as you, you damn freak; but it's a damn great song! Who on AOL is in favor of a Tuesday Cowtown in celebration of THEN? }:-) Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:31:30 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: You Like TMBG... Do You Know Why? Just wanted to comment something here. Flood is apparently an apropo name. I mean, all someone has to do is mention the album here (along with the fact that they like/hate it), and we get a flood of messages about Flood. I wonder to myself how many times I've tried to defend Flood on this list before... actually, probably not that much. But I'll do it again. I like Flood, always have, always will. I could never hate the album that single-handedly turned me on to such a genius group. One thing can be agreed on for sure around this list, though: while Flood may or may not be their best/most popular album, it seems to be their most controversial. I guess the "popular" album always is to the "true" fan. And then we get into the "I like/hate this song," and everyone has a different opinion. Obviously, we don't all like the same things about TMBG. The one thing we all have in common (we like TMBG) can be divided into so many subgroups, and it makes me wonder: what is it about this band that you truly love? My own personal answer to this is: They write music that is both different and fun, without ever having to pretend to make sense, without ever confining themselves to an identifiable genre; that They are unpredicatable, eclectic, and can get away with a lot of things I wish I could get away with; their lyrics are intelligent and clever, with flowing phrases and pop culture references galore. To me, Flood is very representative of this. That a "non-fan" has only heard of this album and no other does not deter me from liking it. It never will. So I like Flood (and Hearing Aid and Sapphire Bullets and the < minute-length songs and all the rest). (By the way, I like Santa's Beard. There are very few songs I can say I dislike in the Giants' repertoire (not counting remix stuff). I dunno, I always didn't like Hypnotist of Ladies all that much... but don't let me keep you from liking it!) Done rambling. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:30:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324193047_-771081488@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: True Fans >A true Giants fan must own one sock from both Flans and Graham >We all now that someone is really stupid if they dont know Linnell's >mom's shoe size! And of course, a true Giants fan must bathe in >Flan's sweat once a month. How about Flansburgh's eyglass >prescription. EVERYBODY knows that! Is this quote talking about: a) true fans or b) true stalkers/nuts with lonely lives? I'm thinking b) Tmbg Maniac NOW NEW AND IMPROVED AT: http://www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:37:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324193535_1749609337@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Santa's Beard >not intending on insulting anybody-- DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY LIKE "SANTA'S >BEARD?" I don't. I don't DISlike it, but... well... ok, I have no idea I liked it, I put it on one of my favorite TMBG song tapes I've made for while I drive around. Tmbg Maniac http://www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Mar 97 00:51:26 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG:Santa's Beard I hate this song!!! Whenever it plays i feel like breaking something. It completely depresses me. It is very annoying I am rambling. Ryan the .sigless wonder I'm back (yes, i was gone) ------------------------------ From: EGODEATH7@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:53:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324195320_-1637837208@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Not foo >>>>>On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > Wasn't that Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer. > > Were they on a X-Files soundtrack? > >Ayuh! I think that was the first song off of the "Songs in the Key of >X" soundtrack. My friend _loved_ that song and it would always be on his >stereo when I'd go over there, and although I don't have the cd, I think >the song was actually by Foo Fighters. Or maybe not...I could be wrong. Nope it wasn't the foo fighters ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:53:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324195202_1452806139@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: True Fans In a message dated 97-03-24 16:36:02 EST, rmichals@ix.netcom.com (Richard E. Michalski) writes: << How about Flansburgh's eyglass prescription. EVERYBODY knows that! >> uh....they're fake glasses. They are just used for individuality! Joel ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:00:02 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324200000_853748558@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hello Hi. I've been away from the list for awhile so I please ask that some one can help me. First of all, could someone please give me an update on the Later album and when will it be released. Second, how do I submit a tape to the We Might Be Giants thing. ------------------------------ From: EGODEATH7@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:06:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970324200617_1452813845@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:video Anyone know where you can download entire tmbg videos on the internet? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:05:59 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <333724F7.403C@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: tangling all the threads Flood: I love Flood...I don't seem to have much company in my favorites, though (Sapphire Bullets, Hearing Aid, Dead) TMBG Merchandise: I think every man, woman and child should have TMBG Pajamas, and if they sleep in the nude or something...maybe a sheet and blanket set (is there a word for that kind of set...bed set?) Royce's Story: Wow. Albums: I started out as a stubborn Weird Al fan...and I'm not trying to feed the Weird Al thread here...but I listened to nothing but Al until my cousin gave me the Pink Album on tape...I'll admit that I wasn't truly hooked on TMBG until I heard A18 (afterwhich I bought every album and single I could find) but I'd say that Flood (nor Tiny Toons, which I have never watched) did not bring me to They...and I don't think my situation is all that unique...so Flood may be the "public" album, but it's not blaringly public and it shouldn't be a reason to look down on it. True Fans: hmmm...I've always called myself a They-Freak...which I got from the common-around-my-hometown "Chili Pepper-Freak" term given to RHCP fans... a fan is someone who would listen to the music because they like it...a true fan loves it so much, they're insired to find more like it...an obsessive fan knows the percent body fat of both Johns and Grahm later-hosen Whim [currently listening to: Particle Man.The Bobs ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970325013108.00675778@awod.com> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:31:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Cuper Vargas -- an update!!! Here's a letter I got from Cuper in the mail regarding the comic situation... TTYL, -Adam * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Alan and Adam- I just want you to know that you both KICK !! (different word used) The comics are perfect. - Anyway. this is my story: Soon after this project got under way, I succumbed to life's pressures as well as some financial misfortunes. The financial misfortunes are particularly important, as I was forced to let my Cloud9 account run out. I do not currently have an e-mail address (though I hope to rectify that soon). The timing of your package couldn't have been better. My problems came to a head and were surpassed earlier this week. I'm finally able to get back to some back logged responsibilities (my magazine "Rudy Got Soul", and this COMIC BOOK). But I'm afraid everyone involved thinks I screwed them over. If you would (and if you believe I'm serious), please post to the TMBG-List that I'm back and I'm willing to lose sleep to make up lost time. I will try to get to someone else's account to e-mail everyone personally within next week. Deadlines may have to be pushed back, but I think we can get things done by summertime. But, in the meantime THANK YOU for caring enough to get this work done despite my absence. I'm now inspired to do some work myself. /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:07:52 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Reiterations are Fun! Message-ID: Hey/hay, If someone knows where I could get sheet music for Their songs, in particular WDTSS?, please let me know so I can get working on it in time for solo auditions for our 70's themed pops choir concert at school. Now wouldn't it be awesome, after three disco medleys and A Bridge Over Troubled Waters (yes I know it came out in 1968 but the director chose it), plus several other disco songs, to have a nice stirring rendition of WDTSS? Sung by a female at that? BTW, I am correct in thinking that the original WDTSS? came out in 1978? I know it isn't disco but it's either this or Joan Baez, which i wouldn't mind too much, but this would get two tickets sold that wouldn't have bee otherwise, since two of my friends hate both disco and medleys and that's basically what we're doing. I have determined that the most cruel thing to do to my friend Alex would be to tie him to a chair and force him to listen to two Bette Midler medleys, one of Disney music and the other of Rodgers and Hammerstein. :) Also, whoever asked me about that translation: I'm about to forward it to my German teacher to see what she can do with it. I wasn't sure AT ALL on most of it. Hee hee hee. Quentin Tarantino just said the F word at 8:30 PM on television. Live shows....no bleeps.... he he he ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Message-Id: <9703250302.AA03971@sncils.snc.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG:Santa's Beard Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:02:00 -0600 (CST) > I hate this song!!! > Whenever it plays i feel like breaking something. > It completely depresses me. Ah, but is the mere fact that a song depresses you enough to denounce the song? I've always liked Santa's Beard for that element of obvious reality that a lot of other TMBG songs don't have... Just because a song isn't as happy as others from a group are doesn't necessarily make it a bad song. laterz, borg "Insanity is the final defense.... It's hard to get a refund when the salesman is sniffing at your crotch and baying at the moon." - Anon. CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.snc.edu/~kucecj ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:34:56 -0500 From: nanf@postoffice.ptd.net (Nancy Fitzgerald) Subject: Re: TMBG: True Fans if all or even one of the following is necessary to be a true fan, i am not a true fan...but since all of the following are all nonsense or just plainly make you want to question your own sanity, how about just owning all their albums and playing nothing but Them all the time... --kevin shiner "young zaphod" playing it safe... >A true Giants fan must own one sock from both Flans and Graham >We all now that someone is really stupid if they dont know Linnell's >mom's shoe size! And of course, a true Giants fan must bathe in >Flan's sweat once a month. How about Flansburgh's eyglass >prescription. EVERYBODY knows that! > >Billy from St. Louis ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-84 *****************************