Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-86 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 86 Thursday, 27 March 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Them TMBG: TMBG J File (Oz fans) TMBG: My TMBG Story - Observations TMBG: My Story - Oooops and sorry TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters TMBG: singles.... TMBG: THEN: WHETTING APPETITES? TMBG: Music Man Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA, Viva Variety, Cardigans, Sensurround, COWTOWN Re: TMBG: Elektra EPs TMBG: Then, of course. Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA TMBG: Then again.... Re: TMBG: Then again.... RE: TMBG: LINCOLN FLOOD THING THEN AND OTHER ONE NAME TITLES RE: TMBG: singles.... RE: TMBG: LINCOLN FLOOD THING THEN AND OTHER ONE NAME TITLES RE: TMBG: Then again.... Re: TMBG: Them Re: TMBG: Then again.... TMBG: dial-a-song TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive updated @ 198.82.89.54 TMBG: Then, Royce is cooler than the accoridan, Moon, Nickelodeon idea, True Fan Re: TMBG: Wallpaper Re: TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive updated @ 198.82.89.54 TMBG: They Might Be Hypocrites? Well... Re: TMBG:Viva Variety TMBG: Then again.... TMBG: Interview Album (none) Re: TMBG: FS video TMBG: O Tannenbaum TMBG: They tonight - and I'm almost wetting myself in anticipation... TMBG: Samba Time TMBG: Piece of Dirt TMBG: Lin'l interview TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue TMBG:new list format? Re: TMBG: Samba Time Re: TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue TMBG: Geez. TMBG: What with all the talking about feeling stupid about bob dylan... TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally TMBG: Maybe I spoke to soon... TMBG: Yep. I got it. TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower Re: TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters Re: TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower Re: TMBG: Wallpaper TMBG: question Re: TMBG: Geez. Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA Re: TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower Re: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally TMBG: hmmm TMBG: End hostility. Re: TMBG: Music Man Re: TMBG: singles.... Re: TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters Re: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally TMBG: Death to all Non-True Fans (and Then) Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA TMBG: more tangling all the threads TMBG: tieing the threads into knots Re: TMBG: Douglas Coupland, survey news TMBG: They Got Lost Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 26 Mar 1997 19:13:47 +1000 Message-ID: <000C7E8D.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Them Argh... I had to say it. I hate living in Australia. I mean,. it's a cool country and all, but we only get to see TMBG once every 3 or 4 years (if we're lucky) and now I have to watch all the chat about Them (just like I did with John Henry) yet not be able to get a copy to buy for at least another two or three weeks (if I am *very* lucky and can find a copy that quickly). Anyone want to adopt an Australian? I'm almost completely housebroken? (j/k) Anyways, I'm still reeling after getting to see them in concert again on the wekend. Wow,. what a show :) Any Sydneysiders who were there or just want to chat, drop me a line... I'm doing this from work, and if I didn't have some email to read, I'd almost be tempted to do some *gasp* real work... See y'all later :) Andrew - wishing he had a cool sig file too ------------------------------ Date: 26 Mar 1997 11:51:04 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc39d3$1ead7c60$a7c76ccb@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: TMBG J File (Oz fans) The radio special set for this Thursday in Australia has been postponed indefinately. Fax 02 9333 2942 an petition to get this on for the release of Then. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 26 Mar 1997 11:51:01 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc392c$36b7f120$LocalHost@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Story - Observations One and all, Things I got on tour: Three t-shirts, one fully autographed Setlist from Canberra, Melbourne, both Sydney shows Six drumsticks, one autographed by Dan Autographed CD cover (Linnell and Flans) New TMBG Cap TMBG Sign on Dressing room door at Recovery Photos with Linnell, Dan and Graham 1 Flans pick, 2 Graham picks 1 backstage pass 4 posters Things I found out: Linnells wife is Karen Accordion is a Hohner Concerto IIIT Linnell did not once play the bass keys on the accordion Flans plays Gibson Guitars, and has 1 Les Paul Dan was previously with Joe Jackson band All the road crew agree Eric is a "kick-ass" guitarist and better than Flans Flans was not hit in the face with a paper cup, it was Nicelodeon "Gack" Keyboard is a Roland A30 That's all that I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else...... -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: 26 Mar 1997 12:11:35 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc39df$202ad720$4ec76ccb@parvenu> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: My Story - Oooops and sorry As soon as I posted part 5 I saw how big the post was, and deleted it. Anyone caused difficulties by this post, please accept my humblest apologies. Kind regards -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:49:25 -0500 Message-Id: <9703261349.AA21717@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters If you want to check out the re-mastered qualities of T:TEY just take out your "old" Lincoln CD and play Ana Ng. Next take out the "new" T:TEY and play Ana Ng at the same settings. You'll be glad ya' did. I kinda like "Johns" as a name for TMBG fans. As in: 1st person: "Are you a John?" 2nd person: "Why, yes I am. I've been a John since 1990." 1st person: "Oh, 'Flood' got you hooked?" 2nd person: "Why yes, it did." 1st person: "In a way I wish more people were John's" 2nd person: "In a way aren't we all Johns?" I guess we would just have to be careful we are not accidentally talking to a hooker or a member of the vice squad. ;) Then again "Hamsters" would be cool. I guess the John's would have to come up with a song about hamsters for it to work. Or maybe remake one of their existing songs: "Youth Culture Killed my Hamster..." "Habitrail in your soul.." "Hamstertown..." You get the idea. Erik ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:19:12 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: singles.... Who here thinks they should come up with a new rule for concerts - they always play all their singles. These are usually the "biggest" songs off their albums, and it would ensure that we always heard Don't Let's Start and The Statue Got Me High. (for the record, they already play Istanbul, The Guitar, Why Does the Sun Shine?, Snail Shell and S-E-X-X-Y anyway - added songs would be Don't Let's Start, Palindrome, Statue, (She was a) Hotel Detective, and They'll Need a Crane) actually, what I'd like to see is a "singles" concert - just play stuff that's on singles... b-sides and such. maybe we'd get to finally hear Nightgown of the Sullen Moon and It's Not My Birthday... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703261433.JAA10043@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:33:40 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: THEN: WHETTING APPETITES? After hearing the dial-a-song material on _Then_, does anyone else hope that someday more dial-a-songs will be released on disc? The band records music on three levels: 1. "Official" discs 2. B-side studio and remix material 3. Dial-a-song Safe to say they will continue to produce discs. No guarantee there will be another _Miscellaneous T_ (wasn't that mainly a way to finish up the Bar None contract?), but chances are that music will be compiled someday, and if not, at least the b-sides and remixes are available on CD. There is no guarantee there will be more dial-a-song music released. At this juncture, They Might Be Giants is more of a cult band than a mass appeal band (this is not meant as a slam--sales, promotion, size of concert halls all point to the fact that TMBG's appeal to the mass audience is selective). However, us fans are very devoted. There's nothing we won't buy, if done right. I assume (I've never heard) that the online dial-a-song is a pretty hi-fi affair, but not all of us can access that. Wouldn't it be nice to see some sort of dial-a-song release out there that would allow us to hear songs we've previously heard only through a phone receiver or on a low-fi cassette? Imagine 40 or 50 dial-a-songs on a disc for $15 or so. Between fan club sales and sales at concerts, I'd gather at least 1,000, and probably closer to 5,000 could be sold. Not bad for such a valuable resource that, right now, is just sitting out there on the other end of a telephone or computer line. Or does this idea defeat the purpose of dial-a-song? Other bands (Crowded House jumps to mind) have done this to reward their devoted fan bases. I'd love to see the same from TMBG. That said, the new compilation is excellent. Can't wait to see them again next month. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: 10,000 Maniacs - _Eden's Children_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970326101618.00815900@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:16:18 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Music Man well, not really... Q: Why does JL only play keyboard/accordian in concerts? He can also play Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, (other various woodwind instruments).... so why doesn't he? Another Q: Right Now are they touring with the Velcro Horns? Because, when they were here in December they only had Flans/Linnell/Graham/Eric/Brian -ec (PS. being sick sucks. I don't recommend it.) ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA, Viva Variety, Cardigans, Sensurround, COWTOWN Date: 25 Mar 1997 16:44:50 GMT Message-ID: <5h8ve2$lc$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <970324181517_-1370731258@emout05.mail.aol.com>, SquirlHead@aol.com writes: > Someone said they heard XTC vs. Adam Ant was changed to AKA vs. Adam Ant. > Are you sure you're not thinking of NyQuil Driver/AKA Driver? No. It's from a very, very, very, very, very, very, very reliable source. Check this message out: The band known as XTC served the band known as They Might Be Giants with a Cease and Desist order with regard to the song "XTC vs. Adam Ant." According to Nigel Putnell, the lawyer for XTC, "The boys didn't find any humor in it. Everybody knows Adam Ant is a gimmick band. My clients found it insulting to be mentioned in the same song." Ironically, the attorney made no mention of Bow Wow Wow. Rather than fight what They Might Be Giants' lawyer (and former bassist) Tony Maimone refers to as "litigative lunacy" the band has re-recorded the offending lyrics and changed the title of the song to "AKA vs. Adam Ant." "They had considered 'INXS vs. Adam Ant' but I told them I didn't want any more shit." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:10:42 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: Re: TMBG: Elektra EPs Message-ID: On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > sorry for the multiple messages... > > This may be somewhat related to my last message: > > Why is it that the only Elektra EPs available on tmbg.com are S~E~X~X~Y and > WDTSS? They are the only ones that are also readily available (only ones > still made?). > -ec > Back To Skull, which is by the way amazing, is also on Elektra. I contains Snail Shell, a remix, a new version of She was a Hotel Detective, Ondine, and Mrs. Train. I don't know why it might not be available. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:16:02 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: TMBG: Then, of course. Message-ID: There's Latin phrase that appears at the end of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (and some other Arthurian romances, I think) that, roughly translated, means: "Shame to those who think bad of it." There should be a loud recording of every TMBG lover shouting this phrase at the end of Then: The Earlier Years. Why? Because it's everything we've been waiting for since the release of John Henry. I love the full band stuff, but thank the Gods that we got at least his last shot at hearing material by John and John. Everybody find a friend with a subwoofer, or use your own, and crank up I'm Def, then dance away into the night. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:40:13 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA At 4:44 PM +0000 3/25/97, Daniel Rodrigues Parreira wrote: >In article <970324181517_-1370731258@emout05.mail.aol.com>, > SquirlHead@aol.com writes: >> Someone said they heard XTC vs. Adam Ant was changed to AKA vs. Adam Ant. >> Are you sure you're not thinking of NyQuil Driver/AKA Driver? > >No. It's from a very, very, very, very, very, very, very reliable source. >Check this message out: Is this supposed to be a joke? I didn't see any smileys :( Since JHB doesn't seem to be posting to this list, I've taken the liberty of grabbing his comment from the public XTC list. This is the only reference that appeared in the Chalkhills archive. > >And, to leave you off, here's a little bit of humor posted on the TMBG >newsgroup, re: the song "XTC Vs. Adam Ant," written by . > [repeat of lawsuit allegation] > >:) I think you need to know TMBG to get part of it, but...he he. "Gimmick >Band." Heh. > >Josh, there must be some kind of way out of here > >/---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ >| particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | >| "I won't die until I'm dead." -- They Might Be Giants | >\-------------------------- Eschew Obfuscation ---------------------------/ I really don't like spreading of disinformation like this. I also doubt very much that Tony Maimone is TMBG's lawyer. Can Leo or other tmbg.org'ers clear this up? -Bob Gonsalves ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970326132523.0080cd00@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:25:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Then again.... By now I've listened to Then a couple times... The only songs that I really notice the remastering on are Youth Culture, Famous Polka, Hello Radio, and Its Not My Birthday. All the others are just slightly louder/cleaner. I was somewhat dissapointed that they didn't have comments about every song (a la Beatles Anthology, other various box sets) Can someone tell me what Doris Cunningham is? One other thing I've noticed... A while ago some people said they would skip over #13 on misc T, because it's one of those novelty tracks, kinda cool the first couple times, but really doesn't add to the album. I think several other tracks on Then have this same "unique" quality... '85 Radio Thank You, Swing Is A Word, and Particle Man (sure it's cute, but it's awful....) Personally, I think some of the songs should have been left in the TMBG vault, although there are several new ones that are just great (Fake Out, Hope That I Get Old..., Weep Day, Getting Sentimental). Also, why is that picture of a set list included in this? (Or, why not a earlier setlist?) New Topic: Does anyone else think an "Interviews" album would be a good idea? Both johns are hilarious... -ec that's all I can think of, but.... uh... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:32:22 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Then again.... Message-Id: >Can someone tell me what Doris Cunningham is? It's from the 3/87 Frank O'Toole Show (the infamous WFMU tape)...there's a whole interview between her and the Johns, including such great questions as, "Is it true you two live like pigs?" (or something like that... :) >One other thing I've noticed... A while ago some people said they would >skip over #13 on misc T, because it's one of those novelty tracks, kinda >cool the first couple times, but really doesn't add to the album. I think >several other tracks on Then have this same "unique" quality... '85 Radio >Thank You, Swing Is A Word, and Particle Man (sure it's cute, but it's >awful....) I agree whole-heartedly! There are so many Dial-A-Songs that are hundreds of times better that should've been on here... >Does anyone else think an "Interviews" album would be a good idea? Both >johns are hilarious... I've seen tons of $10 interview CDs with other bands...I'd love to see one with the Johns. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: LINCOLN FLOOD THING THEN AND OTHER ONE NAME TITLES Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:54:00 -0800 >---------- >From: Me[SMTP:mms@wolfenet.com] >Sent: Thursday, March 27, 1997 12:12 AM >To: 'Lani' N Olson; TMBG >Subject: Re: TMBG: LINCOLN FLOOD THING THEN AND OTHER ONE NAME TITLES > > > >---------- >| On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: >| >| > And for fan nicknames, I wish They would >| > *give* us one, so there would be no dispute. >| > Acolytes or Legionnaires or Buggers or >| > Nitwits or _something_. Much more enjoyable to >| > yell out a weird title and be done with it when one >| > asks what music you like instead of explaining >| > it all. "What are you into?" "I'M A HAMSTER!" >| >| Yeah, let's start a huge letter-writing campaign to get Them to give us a >| name. After getting fifty thousand million letters They'd be so sick of >| it, they'd be bound to come up with something. "You want a name? Here's >| your friggin' name! Now leave us alone!" or something. :) >| >How about "John"? Seems like an appropro name. :) > >Michelle Let's see... "Hi! I'm a John." Hmm. Don't think so. *snicker* Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: singles.... Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:01:22 -0800 >---------- >From: Lawrence P Solomon[SMTP:lps+@andrew.cmu.edu] >Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 6:19 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: singles.... > >Who here thinks they should come up with a new rule for concerts - they >always play all their singles. These are usually the "biggest" songs >off their albums, and it would ensure that we always heard Don't Let's >Start and The Statue Got Me High. > >(for the record, they already play Istanbul, The Guitar, Why Does the >Sun Shine?, Snail Shell and S-E-X-X-Y anyway - added songs would be >Don't Let's Start, Palindrome, Statue, (She was a) Hotel Detective, and >They'll Need a Crane) Don't forget....O Tannenbaum! (: Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: RE: TMBG: LINCOLN FLOOD THING THEN AND OTHER ONE NAME TITLES Message-ID: On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > >How about "John"? Seems like an appropro name. :) > > > >Michelle > > Let's see... "Hi! I'm a John." Hmm. Don't think so. *snicker* And what if your name is already John? "Hi! I'm a John." "Yes, dear, of course you are. You always have been." Actually, "John" doesn't sound so bad. One of my co-workers called me "John Woo" for a while, so I'd be almost used to it anyway. :) -Johnny Q. Gianthead (Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Then again.... Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:19:25 -0800 >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ee.net] >Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 10:25 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Then again.... > >By now I've listened to Then a couple times... > >The only songs that I really notice the remastering on are Youth Culture, >Famous Polka, Hello Radio, and Its Not My Birthday. All the others are just >slightly louder/cleaner. I've noticed a slight change in the rhythm section on a good majority of the songs. They've added a couple background instruments on a couple songs as well, but mainly they changed what drum sounds they were using. >Personally, I think some of the songs should have been left in the TMBG >vault, although there are several new ones that are just great (Fake Out, >Hope That I Get Old..., Weep Day, Getting Sentimental). Hope that I get old was on the first album, and I actually prefer the "produced" one, rather than the original. The others I agree on though. (: >Also, why is that picture of a set list included in this? (Or, why not a >earlier setlist?) Why not? (Because they were all thrown away?) >New Topic: >Does anyone else think an "Interviews" album would be a good idea? Both >johns are hilarious... I think it should be done as a "novelty" item, sold to the info club members and at concerts (and on tmbg.com, of course), not necessarily pushed to record stores. Jesse ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Them Message-ID: <19970326.154609.4646.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:45:59 EST Whoa, sux to be you! Say, are there a lot of TMBG fans in Aus? How popular are the stupendous Johns over there? I'm glad I don't have your problem. I saw them in concert this past December, and again in February, and I'm going to again in April! -Evan Kleve "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time. Well I guess that I'm gonna die, no matter what". ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:58:30 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Then again.... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Mar-97 TMBG: Then again.... by Evan Chakroff@ee.net > The only songs that I really notice the remastering on are Youth Culture, > Famous Polka, Hello Radio, and Its Not My Birthday. All the others are just > slightly louder/cleaner. So far, I've heard the first 4 tracks, and while everything may be a bit louder/cleaner, it's quite clear that there was quite a bit of remastering done - the drums are more where they should be - mid-range bass, rather than tremendous bass. They come out more prominently now, but with the remastered vocals, as well, the songs all sound much fuller. Everything Right is Wrong Again sounds a lot better, IMHO. > One other thing I've noticed... A while ago some people said they would > skip over #13 on misc T, because it's one of those novelty tracks, kinda > cool the first couple times, but really doesn't add to the album. I think > several other tracks on Then have this same "unique" quality... '85 Radio > Thank You, Swing Is A Word, and Particle Man (sure it's cute, but it's > awful....) Yeah, but now it's track #23. :) ------------------------------ From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 27 Mar 1997 07:34:31 +1000 Message-ID: <000C7F95.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: dial-a-song Hey everyone, Just a quick question for you all... From one of the letters from todays list I've just found out that the Dial-a-Song had different tracks to everywhere else?? Man, now I'm depressed. 8+ years of listening to TMBG and never calling the Dial-a-Song and only now I've found out what I've been missing?? *sigh* Anyways, do any of you have any copies of these little gems that I might be able to get my hands on? I'm sure I could dig up some obscure thing from somewhere as a big thank you :) (maybe you'd like some TISM or Mr Floppy songs? [FYI = they're both relatively obscure Australian bands]) Anyways, just thought I'd ask Andrew :) - living in eternal hope ------------------------------ From: psavage@vt.edu (Patrick Savage) Subject: TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive updated @ 198.82.89.54 Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:44:40 GMT Message-ID: <333b92c3.10154536@news.vt.edu> I've just added a few things that may be of interest: What Is Everyone Staring At (by TMBG) - This is a new one from Dial-a-Song that is sooooooooo good, I'd venture to say it's even better than The Bells Are Ringing. Another masterpiece from Linnell! Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes (by The Creams) - A cover of the song we all know and love...really nice. New York City (by cub) - The genuine original. South Carolina (by John Linnell) - From State Songs. all of them are in MP3 audio format and excellent sound quality, except Staring which is...well you know, Dial-a-Song quality. There's also other new stuff including the Ben Folds Five BOWCCL video. So point your FTPer to: ftp://198.82.89.54 The server isn't up all the time, but it should be up at least from 11pm to 9am EST. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:43:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326164238_1252066946@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Then, Royce is cooler than the accoridan, Moon, Nickelodeon idea, True Fan Hello 41- Then- Well, I posted to the AOL board, but I forgot to copy it, so I'll restate most of what I feel like at this hour. New Songs- I'm actually very happy I had heard most of the new ones before I bought the CD and listened to it in the car. They are that groovy. I did almost lose it during Big Big Whoredom though... The question I had (more experienced people or those in the know, please help) was, are the versions of the old songs versions from old tapes REALLY touched up, or did TMBG redo them. I know I have heard different versions of Now That I Have Everything, Doris Cunningham, Mainstream USA, and Counterfit Fake that are different. The reason I think they are new versions, are that they seem to have deeper voices in them. All the early versions I heard, John and John's voices are harder to tell apart and higher. Just wondering here... Old Songs- I can tell a little bit of remastering. I belive they played with the drums on a lot of them, making the cymbals crash higher, and louder. The CDs are louder and cleaner too, kudos to who saw that. I live in Orlando, and went to one of my record mainstays, Wax Tree, for it, and they had it. Sorry to other Florida people. Cool Stuff I noticed, others might not have- I like how all the stuff that John and John mixed at home, they said was done at "Hello Studios." There is a refrence to Rolf Conant. I am surprised that when the members of the Ordinaires did Kiss Me Son Of God, Kurt Hoffman was not one of them... Royce is cooler than accordians- I mean come on! Read his travel diaries. I have treked around the US trying to get Grahm or somebody to recognize me. Brian said he did, but I think he was humoring me. We'll see about this time. Moon- As far as I know, TicketMaster doesn't have tickets available for the Talahassee show at The Moon, but if you call the Moon (904) 878-6900 you can get them directly for about ten bucks. Nickelodeon idea- This summer, if I'm lucky, I'll get an internship with Nickelodeon. Now my idea is to one day be "working late," or something, and causally stroll into where they keep the sets of all the old shows. I might happen to come across the old sets for Clarissa Explains It All, and just happen to swipe the TMBG posters off her bedroom wall. This would be high up on my list of groovy things I've done. Who's with me??? True Fans- In the book of this nit, you are a true TMBG fan if you've travelled over 5000 miles to see TMBG. In my book you are a truly obsessed fan (heh heh) if you've travelled over 10,000 miles to see TMBG. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf I might be giants too. Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Then: The Earlier Years 1-2, Residents-The King and Eye, Combustible Edison-Schizophonic, Duplex Planet-The Duplex Planet Hour ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:02:42 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326170114_-2039416415@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Wallpaper In a message dated 97-03-26 01:03:34 EST, DonkeyPlop@aol.com writes: << I just had to delete all of my hard drive, so i need new wallpaper, Can any of you guys tell me where i can get TMBG Wallpaper???? I would greatly appericate it if you guys would mail me back. Thanks >> If you go to ftp://ftp.tmbg.org there is in one of the folders "Themes" to use which include sounds, mouse pointers, and wallpaper. I don't know if this helps. Joel tmbg@for-president.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:11:02 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FTP Archive updated @ 198.82.89.54 Message-ID: On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Patrick Savage wrote: > I've just added a few things that may be of interest: > > What Is Everyone Staring At (by TMBG) > Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes (by The Creams) > New York City (by cub) > South Carolina (by John Linnell) > > all of them are in MP3 audio format and excellent sound quality, > except Staring which is...well you know, Dial-a-Song quality. I have nearly the complete works of TMBG mp3d (waiting for the new SCSI drive before I finish :( ) and I'm looking for a stable place to put them since I have no bandwidth :) If anyone's interested in hosting them, just drop me a note. If you like them, buy the album! Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:19:11 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326171740_-1471039172@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Hypocrites? Well... Hello everybody, just felt like making a point (read: gripe), I just read the transcript of an AOL chat with Mr. Flans, and in it, a fan asked him if he ever planned to release their demo from 1985 on the market. He replied that no, they would not, because they didn't want to "flood the market with material," because the demo overlaps their first album on many tracks. Hm. For a band that doesn't want to flood the market with material, they sure are doing a great job of it! Not only are there many different, almost (but not) identical versions of singles such as "Back to Skull" and "S-E-X-X-Y", but, fer cryin in the mud, their brand-spanking new double-cd is well more than 50% old stuff! I know that the whole idea of "Then..." was to capture all of their earlier works in one volume, but manymanymany of us already have at least one of the three albums it covers (I have all three so woe is me). Now I, being the blithering They-fiend that I am, will of course be sure to grab "Then..." as soon as I get the chance. But I wonder: Since they seem to have no problem with releasing slews of different versions of albums, why not release the 17 or 18 or however-many new "Then..." tracks on a separate CD?!? (and of course include the nifty booklet). It's just that I don't need to spend 25 bucks on something, most of which I already have. P.S. Of course my copy of Back to Skull (E.P.) is missing Ondine, and my S-E-X-X-Y lacks SenSurround and Unforgotten. And I bought both right here in New Jersey, not Germany, or Afghanistan, or Sector Triad of Beta Grebulon-5. Ah, well. The prozac is starting to kick in, so in the words of the mighty John Cleese, "Shut up you whiny half-witted bastard!" Okay. -Kamesennin aka Geoff Sondergard ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:44:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326174317_-1303519887@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG:Viva Variety In a message dated 97-03-24 18:27:32 EST, you write: << Viva Variety will be on April 1st at 10:00 PM. And yes, that was Grahm Maby in the commercial! He's so cool at concerts! hint: watch his f >> I SAW IT!!!!!! My cable company doesn't get comedy central :-( not so bummbed since we do get Sci-Fi (MST3k!!) I was flipping through during a Modanna video on the M2 preview hour (Anyone else watch it religiously every day with remote in hand and blank tape in VCR???) and it landed on BET (UGH!!) for a couple seconds... I saw these 6 or 7 guys standing in front of microphones and then they flshed a bunch of pictures and I thought it was one of those cheap BET comedy things but then I SAW HIM!!!!!! I yelled "is that John Linnell??? WAS THAT JOHN LINNELL!?!?!?!" (didn't have time to see GMs face)Thoughts of TMBG dropping so low as to appear on BET flashed through my head until the Viva Variety emblem flashed before my eyes.. and with the words "Why all these microphones?" the commercial was over.. and so was my time with BET.... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > < 4. Whistle the first seven notes of "It's a Small World" incessantly. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199703262247.RAA16827@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 26 Mar 1997 16:47:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Then again.... CH>Personally, I think some of the songs should have been left in the TMBG CH>vault, although there are several new ones that are just great (Fake Out, CH>Hope That I Get Old..., Weep Day, Getting Sentimental). Add to great list: Become a Robot and Greek #3 CH>Also, why is that picture of a set list included in this? (Or, why not a CH>earlier setlist?) I've seen that picture before. I think it was in one of the info club news letters. Maybe all the earlier set lists were taken by ravenous fans, and this was the oldest one They could find. CH>New Topic: CH>Does anyone else think an "Interviews" album would be a good idea? Both CH>johns are hilarious... It'd go platinum in a week. I'd love to have one. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970326180101.0080e340@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:01:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Interview Album Hey, some of you people sometimes come into contact with the Johns, why doesn't someone ask them to do an interviews CD? (Like, at an interview, or IRC chat the next time there is one) -ec ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Message-Id: <199703262322.RAA13236@mixcom.mixcom.com> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:22:28 -0600 Wed Mar 26 23:22:14 1997 Message-ID: <3339AF11.612C@mixcom.com> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:19:45 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Reply-To: mattm@mixcom.com X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG:CD to Midi Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Does anyone know of any programs that will convert a recording or CD music to Midi Sounds, or something that can make WAV files LONGER than 8 seconds? -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ From: EGODEATH7@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:27:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326182608_1749839914@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: FS video >>>Subj: TMBG: FS video >>Date: 97-03-25 21:22:08 EST >>From: mattm@mixcom.com (Matt Mantsch) >>Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >>Reply-to: mattm@mixcom.com (Matt Mantsch) >>To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> >>I thought someone said they had visited a record store or like Best Buy >>or somethin and had seen a short clip of the SEXXY video? >>>-- * I saw a clip of the S-E-X-X-Y video in the K-Mart Music section on this machine that promoted current albums( Don't worry, i'm not a k-mart shopper) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:32:34 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: O Tannenbaum Message-ID: I finally received my order from TMB Productions! I placed this order in early November, and I thought it would never come. I got O Tannenbaum--it's cool, but I kinda hoped I would get it by Xmas. I also ordered the Statue 12", but it was out of stock. Also, has anyone in Canada found Then yet? It's not anywhere in Kitchener! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:38:05 +1000 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: They tonight - and I'm almost wetting myself in anticipation... TODAYS THE DAY!!!! And boy, am I excited! After a dull morning at work (which I am currently dealing with) I'll be picking up a few friends, going to 78 Records and seeing THEM!! Just hope I'm allowed to take along my handy cam - I should have asked you to put in some good words for me Royce! Then, after a Holy Thursdays afternoon at work, packing up my gear (diving in Albany this weekend - yippee!) I'll be meeting up with about 15 people at my place and we'll wander down to the Planet. And to think last time I saw them I didn't own any albums (admittingly Flood had only just been released, and the one time the earlier two albums were played to me I wasn't sure quite what I was listening to!!). I'm so excited - and I just can't hide it! Nicka "And if a double decker bus, kills the both of us, to die by your side, oh what a heavenly way to die" - a cheerier than usual Morrissey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:01:42 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Samba Time Message-Id: This has nothing to do with weep day. Well, not really. After not getting Then from the local store, I went over to west lebanon (the city) and was eager to pick it up. I phoned earlier to insure it was there "Hello Coconuts" "Hi do you have Then: The Earlier Years by They Might Be Giants?" "The who?" "They Might Be Giants" "The Notorious B.I.G?" "No." "Well I'm sorry, there is no Them may be giants" "I know. Type the word They into your computer" "Why?" "Just Type it!" "Ok, why did I do that?" "Now type might...be...giants" "Oh yeah! We have that! I love that Band! They sang that Old New York song right?" "Yes they did." Well, I went dow there about an hour later to make sure that woman wouldn't be there. Unfortunatley she was, and She pretended she knew many things about Them. When I got in I threw in Disc one and skiped to the critic intro It's interesting I would have purchased then even if the other tracks weren't on it. If it was just the three albums. Oh well. It's cool to finally have everything on disc. JOSHUA HALL-BACHNER LIVES!!!!! ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" -Servo "Here comes the Circus" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:18:29 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Piece of Dirt Message-Id: Does anyone have the accodion chords for this? I would highly appreciate them. (That's piece of dirt forthose who can't read subjects. But there are none, are there?) ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" -Servo "Here comes the Circus" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:23:44 +1000 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Lin'l interview A few excepts from an interview with Lin'l, published in the West Australian today. "We still haven't had our big smash No 1 hit in the US that everyone feels we should have" Hear hear. While their methods are what fat suits fiddling with platinum cuffs might call "extremely left field", TMBG have a way with a nifty tune (note NOT quirky!) which would, in a perfect world, run rings around the smashing pumpkins. The relative obscurity of Birdhouse In Your Soul, to isolate but three minutes of radio-friendly genius, would make a less philosophical songwriter weep. "In 1990, Birdhouse was the biggest hit we'd ever had" Lin'l points out. "We probably would have had heart attacks if it had been any more massive. Mainstream success is something that has mainly eluded us, but I think that made us keep going to some extent. If we had big hits early on it might have killed some of the longevity of the band. That seems to be the tendency here. "I think quality and popularity have a tangential relationship", he concludes with a laugh. "They're not necessarily opposites but they don't seem to have a direct correlation". Also... "There must be rules, but I think they keep changing", he says, regarding TMBG's unorthodox construction methods. "As soon as we decide a rule there's always a good case for breaking it. We do have strong feelings about what should and shouldn't be done "Two of our very important early rules were no songs longer than three and a half minutes, and no guitar solos (why did they have to change THAT?). And we've broken both of those rules quite a lot". The only other point of interest is that TTEY will only be available in Australia on import. Wah! Have a fantastic day! I know I will!! Nicka ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:16:05 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue Last night my brother and I were busting up! We got Then: The Earlier Years, and I read out loud the liner notes. We got to the part about Weep Day, and that's when it hit me. I mean, it didn't even hit me when someone posted the blurb about the origins of Tambo and Urine Man a while back. But, I read the notes and THEN it hit me: Bob Dylan, Mr. Tambo - urine Man. TAMBOURINE MAN! I finally get it! Took me this long, but -- Ohhhh! that's what happened! Bad hyphenation! I'm sorry if this is a useless post, but it made my night! By the way, Then is cool. Now I can sing Weep Day and Now That I Have Everything with _all_ the correct lyrics! ARR-HAR-HAR-HAR! (Pirate laugh appropriate for the "boat" theme of the packaging design). Mr. Tambo - Urine Man. Yeah! --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:17:27 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue Last night my brother and I were busting up! We got Then: The Earlier Years, and I read out loud the liner notes. We got to the part about Weep Day, and that's when it hit me. I mean, it didn't even hit me when someone posted the blurb about the origins of Tambo and Urine Man a while back. But, I read the notes and THEN it hit me: Bob Dylan, Mr. Tambo - urine Man. TAMBOURINE MAN! I finally get it! Took me this long, but -- Ohhhh! that's what happened! Bad hyphenation! I'm sorry if this is a useless post, but it made my night! By the way, Then is cool. Now I can sing Weep Day and Now That I Have Everything with _all_ the correct lyrics! ARR-HAR-HAR-HAR! (Pirate laugh appropriate for the "boat" theme of the packaging design). Mr. Tambo - Urine Man. Yeah! --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: | Protected by Guan Yu | "I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3339CA8B.7165@mixcom.com> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:16:59 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: TMBG:new list format? how come all of a sudden all the messages I get from the mailing list have no subject header and have a huge opening? -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:32:11 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Samba Time Message-ID: For such a little kid you certainly do have a fair share of piss and vinegar flowing thru your veins don'tcha? ;) Katie On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Big.Bad.Robbie.G. wrote: > This has nothing to do with weep day. Well, not really. > > After not getting Then from the local store, I went over to west lebanon (the > city) and was eager to pick it up. I phoned earlier to insure it was there > > "Hello Coconuts" > "Hi do you have Then: The Earlier Years by They Might Be Giants?" > "The who?" > "They Might Be Giants" > > "The Notorious B.I.G?" > "No." > "Well I'm sorry, there is no Them may be giants" > "I know. Type the word They into your computer" > "Why?" > "Just Type it!" > "Ok, why did I do that?" > "Now type might...be...giants" > "Oh yeah! We have that! I love that Band! They sang that Old New York song > right?" > "Yes they did." > > Well, I went dow there about an hour later to make sure that woman wouldn't be > there. Unfortunatley she was, and She pretended she knew many things about > Them. > > When I got in I threw in Disc one and skiped to the critic intro > > It's interesting I would have purchased then even if the other tracks weren't > on it. If it was just the three albums. Oh well. It's cool to finally have > everything on disc. > > JOSHUA HALL-BACHNER LIVES!!!!! > > ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ > | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | > | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | > |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| > "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" > -Servo "Here comes the Circus" > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33399B23.7A32@baka.com> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:54:43 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Laugh For Me Long Overdue J Chen wrote: > > Last night my brother and I were busting up! > > We got Then: The Earlier Years, and I read out loud the liner notes. > We got to the part about Weep Day, and that's when it hit me. I mean, it > didn't even hit me when someone posted the blurb about the origins of Tambo > and Urine Man a while back. But, I read the notes and THEN it hit me: Bob > Dylan, Mr. Tambo - urine Man. > > TAMBOURINE MAN! > Now I feel stupid. Really stupid. I consider myself a bob dylan fan, and yet I didn't make the connection between Tambo-Urine man and Tambourine man even after something about a Bob Dylan connection was posted. God I'm dumb. Ah well. I still don't own then, living way out where no CDs grow, not to mention being broke. And I'd like to ask for an honest opinion. For someone who owns the debut album, lincoln, and Misc T on CD, is it worth it for the new songs and digital remastering? Remember that I am kinda broke. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton could someone privately e-mail me and tell me which pavement album would be the best one to by first? Sorry, just had to ask. Jonah, and weep day for urine man ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:03:46 -0500 (EST) From: Marc Schaub Subject: TMBG: Geez. Message-ID: A solution for those of us who had all the Restless stuff but bought Then anyway: Give Them as gifts. That's what I'm doing. It'll make life a lot easier. Marc Schaub "Nobody, asked me, but here's my advice: Do not go quietly unto your grave."-Morphine schauby@arches.uga.edu You can find me at: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~schauby/ and at the White Rabbit Quartet Homepage: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~saxgod/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703270229.UAA15070@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: What with all the talking about feeling stupid about bob dylan... Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:20:12 -0600 Heck. As I was reading the many persons complaining about the urine man bambooree, I had JUST deleted the THIRD mp3 player I had tried that actually WORKED and the CREAMS rendition of Clothes (or whatever) because the stinking thing didn't seem to work, whereas the last TWO mp3 players were all corrupted and didn't even TRY to work. I sat, frustrated, Reading. Reading. Then I realized that right before I tried the third mp3 player, installed it, tried to play the mp3 I had, found it didn't work and deleted it, I REMEMBERED THAT I HAD *JUST* had used my HEADPHONES in my STEREO and that was probably why I didn't hear the THIRD ONE WORK because they were still PLUGGED IN. Now I have to find the ftp site, AND the webpage that I got the player and the mp3's from all over again. God, do I feel foolish tonight. Mike "But even *I* connected Tambo-Urine Man, Idiots! MUHUHAHHA!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:30:50 -0500 (EST) From: MannyChrist Subject: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally Message-ID: Hey, this is to the people in Florida who couldn't find Then (particularly Tom Hare, who is in Tallahassee just like me): It has reached stores in my cute little town. I had gone to my favorite store, and they did indeed tell me that it was delayed. Finding this odd, I called Musicland and Spec's. Each of them had one copy. I got mine at Musicland. It does suck. I already had the first three albums, and the bonus tracks, if you'll excuse my opinion, are a waste of everyone's time. This is to say that they are horribly bad. My friend, another TMBG fan, upon hearing the copy of Then that I bought, agrees with me and would rather not shell out $30 for liner notes, and remastered songs that sound the same as the songs he already has. Another thing I noticed, and this is a REALLY small point, is that they left out the single mix of "Don't Let's Start." I don't mind, as the single sounds the same as the original (minus a minutely louder drum section at one point). I just thought it was odd that it was on Miscellaneous T, but not on Then. Anyway, enough of my bulls**t. * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Emmanuel Donio | A Poem About Flowers And Death | edd1981@garnet.acns.fsu.edu | Sifting through the flower bed, donio@freenet.tlh.fl.us | And picking green and pink and red, hotcha@tmbg.org | Then swiftly keeling over dead, | Allergies, allergies, allergies... http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~edd1981 | * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:38:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326213801_310284992@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Maybe I spoke to soon... I hadn't realized that the tracks had been remastered. Dang. Hm. Dang. Dang. I must venture out in the 'morrow to ye olde Mall to pick up, that is purchase this sparkling new splendidity. (it's a new word. really.) I'm being eaten up inside just knowing that I don't have it right this very second. -Kamesennin aka Geoff "Can't wait to hear the 'new' Ana Ng" Sondergard. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:47:32 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Yep. I got it. Message-ID: Yes. I went to MusicLand and got it... ho hum, I like the new tracks and sort of like the remastering. But heck, I already have the first 3 albums. Oh well, i apparently had 30 bucks to spend. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:42:31 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <3339DE97.3C7E@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: > > I got Then from Tower Records today, and I got their "Nostolgia Pack." It > consists of four post cards (2 different ones), a bumper sticker (weird > letters and coffee), and a TMBG pencil. I'm overwhelmed with joy. No > really, I am. > > :-)) > Dan E. Boy PENCIL!!!?!?!?!?!?!? i didnt get a pencil!!! you lucky- anyway, it dissapointed me greatly.... the sticker is cool, though. :) -- Brian B. (Faboo23) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:59:14 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters Message-ID: what the hell is a habit rail? shoehorn with teeth (mike) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:11:15 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower Message-ID: Ummmm... excuse me... my local stores have none of this Nostalgia pack stuff!!! Is it possible that someone else could buy one for me and send it to me, and have me pay that person? How much is a nostalgia pack anyways? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Brian B. wrote: > SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: > > > > I got Then from Tower Records today, and I got their "Nostolgia Pack." It > > consists of four post cards (2 different ones), a bumper sticker (weird > > letters and coffee), and a TMBG pencil. I'm overwhelmed with joy. No > > really, I am. > > > > :-)) > > Dan E. Boy > PENCIL!!!?!?!?!?!?!? i didnt get a pencil!!! you lucky- anyway, it > dissapointed me greatly.... the sticker is cool, though. :) > -- > Brian B. (Faboo23) > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:08:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970326220806_586394084@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Wallpaper The exact path is: go to ftp.tmbg.org ftp://ftp.tmbg.org:/pub/win95/Themes/ Joel "No Middle Name Today" Gedalius tmbg@for-president.com If I am not, what am I? ~~In a message dated 97-03-26 18:45:31 EST, Jesse.McClusky@PSS.boeing.com (McClusky, Jesse) writes: << Where? I couldn't locate it.... >---------- >From: Yoel97@aol.com[SMTP:Yoel97@aol.com] >Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 2:02 PM >To: DonkeyPlop@aol.com; schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu; tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Wallpaper > >In a message dated 97-03-26 01:03:34 EST, DonkeyPlop@aol.com writes: > ><< I just had to delete all of my hard drive, so i need new wallpaper, Can >any > of you guys tell me where i can get TMBG Wallpaper???? I would greatly > appericate it if you guys would mail me back. Thanks >> > >If you go to ftp://ftp.tmbg.org there is in one of the folders "Themes" to >use which include sounds, mouse pointers, and wallpaper. > >I don't know if this helps. > >Joel >tmbg@for-president.com > > >> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3339E566.259E@lnd.com> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:11:34 -0600 From: "The Acting Brilliance of Doug E. Doug" Subject: TMBG: question I waited until Wednesday to buy Then. Am I not a True Fan? -- Jim B. "Born to be a god among salesmen, Working the skinny ties..." -Soul Coughing ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:17:18 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Geez. Message-ID: > A solution for those of us who had all the Restless stuff but bought Then > anyway: Give Them as gifts. That's what I'm doing. It'll make life a lot > easier. uhhhh....what? are you insane? correct me if im wrong, but arent you saying that youre going to give cds away just because you've bought a new version of it? how...odd...I've just recently bought Theyll need a Crane and Dont Let's Start, even though i've had miscT for ages...i dont understand you...that's like giving away your original StarWars movies when you bought the THX remastered ones...I guess youre just not a true fan, are you. . . shoehorn with teeth ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:18:30 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA Message-ID: On 25 Mar 1997, Daniel Rodrigues Parreira wrote: > No. It's from a very, very, very, very, very, very, very reliable source. > Check this message out: [snip] This is a joke, I repeat, this is only a joke. It was posted to the newsgroup a while back, and someone posted it here. Unfortunately, the person who left it on the ng only told *them* that it was a joke, and never thought to tell this list. Don't take it seriously. I'm beginning to know how Mike Leffel feels :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org There's no safe way to operate a weed whacker in the nude. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:31:43 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Then: Cool stuff from Tower >SquirlHead@aol.com wrote: >> >> I got Then from Tower Records today, and I got their "Nostolgia Pack." It >> consists of four post cards (2 different ones), a bumper sticker (weird >> letters and coffee), and a TMBG pencil. I'm overwhelmed with joy. No >> really, I am. What is this Nostalgia Pack? Is the something a sales clerk is supposed to give it to you as a freebie (I got some Beavis & Butthead christmas cards this way), or is it something sitting on the shelf, to be purchased? I ask, in particular, since I got my copies of Then at Tower, too. -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:30:26 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally Message-ID: hey, wow--another FSU student...and a tmbg fan too!...oh wait, perhaps not...i dont understand why youre on this list as a supposed fan if youre saying such things an album put out by TMBG...I admit that i did say some things pertaining to Flood, but only said it sucked slightly--when i think about it, it is an album very worthy of listening to, and in turn owning, just one that I've listened to too much..perhaps I said those things in haste--there are a lot of great songs on Flood...perhaps you spoke in haste too, but if not, if you really think its not worth owning, why dont you take it back to the music store so it will be there waiting for me when i finally get a ride to the mall this weekend? shorhorn with teeth > Hey, this is to the people in Florida who couldn't find Then > (particularly Tom Hare, who is in Tallahassee just like me): It has > reached stores in my cute little town. I had gone to my favorite store, > and they did indeed tell me that it was delayed. Finding this odd, I > called Musicland and Spec's. Each of them had one copy. I got mine at > Musicland. > It does suck. I already had the first three albums, and the bonus > tracks, if you'll excuse my opinion, are a waste of everyone's time. This > is to say that they are horribly bad. My friend, another TMBG fan, upon > hearing the copy of Then that I bought, agrees with me and would rather > not shell out $30 for liner notes, and remastered songs that sound the > same as the songs he already has. > Another thing I noticed, and this is a REALLY small point, is that > they left out the single mix of "Don't Let's Start." I don't mind, as the > single sounds the same as the original (minus a minutely louder drum > section at one point). I just thought it was odd that it was on > Miscellaneous T, but not on Then. Anyway, enough of my bulls**t. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:37:23 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: hmmm Message-ID: hmmm...sorry...just in that sort of mood i guess.. shoehtorn with teeth ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:48:50 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: End hostility. Message-ID: I'm noticing a lot of hostility all of a sudden. People calling othe rpeople "not true fans" for their comments or actions. ALl I can say is please grow up. . . even if someone is the biggest fan of TMBG, they don't necessarily like EVERYTHING they do! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: Music Man Date: Thu, 27 Mar 97 21:28:56 PST ---------- | well, not really... | | Q: Why does JL only play keyboard/accordian in concerts? | | He can also play Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, (other various woodwind | instruments).... so why doesn't he? | I know for a fact that when touring with John Henry Mr. Linnell played the sax... I had to briefly contemplate which John is my favorite, because I absolutely ADORE the saxophone, but then Mr. Flansburgh did his pogo-across-the-stage move, and I know which John truly held on to my heart. :) Mr. Linnell may have also played guitar at this show, but I might just be making that part up. Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: singles.... Date: Thu, 27 Mar 97 21:31:26 PST ---------- | | Who here thinks they should come up with a new rule for concerts - they | always play all their singles. These are usually the "biggest" songs | off their albums, and it would ensure that we always heard Don't Let's | Start and The Statue Got Me High. | | (for the record, they already play Istanbul, The Guitar, Why Does the | Sun Shine?, Snail Shell and S-E-X-X-Y anyway - added songs would be | Don't Let's Start, Palindrome, Statue, (She was a) Hotel Detective, and | They'll Need a Crane) | NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! actually, they don't always play Why Does The Sun Shine?... didn't at the recent Seattle show. And as much as I love all of those songs, the more "set" things in their setlist, the less room they have for variety, which means that there is a smaller chance you get to hear the cool songs you love that don't qualify as a single. I think it's good they include some of the big stuff, but I like the variety, too. Just my .02 Michelle ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:12:19 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re-mastered, Name calling, hamsters Message-ID: On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, MIKE wrote: > what the hell is a habit rail? Habitrail -- the thing that hamsters run around in. For a perfect example, see Microserfs by Douglas Coupland. In fact, read the book anyways, it's neato, even for an anti-MS Linux geek like me :) Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3339FBEC.3A23@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:47:41 -0500 From: Emmanuel Donio Organization: Florida State University Subject: Re: TMBG: Then: The Earlier Years in Tally MIKE wrote: > > hey, wow--another FSU student...and a tmbg fan too!...oh wait, perhaps > not...i dont understand why youre on this list as a supposed fan if youre > saying such things an album put out by TMBG...I admit that i did say some > things pertaining to Flood, but only said it sucked slightly--when > i think about it, it is an album very worthy of listening to, and in > turn owning, just one > that I've listened to too much..perhaps I said those things in > haste--there are a lot of great songs on Flood...perhaps you spoke in > haste too, but if not, if you really think its not worth owning, why dont > you take it back to the music store so it will be there waiting for me > when i finally get a ride to the mall this weekend? > > shorhorn with teeth > Mike, I am a very large TMBG fan; I can't wait to see them here in Tallahassee on the 13th of April. I very much enjoy each and everyone of their albums. I do not, however, like every one of their songs, and the bonus tracks on the newest CDs are not very high quality. Weep Day is okay, and the spoken word stuff is good (e.g. "The Critic Intro," "Doris Cunningham," and "Kitten Intro"). As to returning it, it is not necessary, there are other copies floating around town. Nice to know that someone else at my school is a fan, thanks for writing, drink coke, only you can prevent forest fires, etc. etc. Me Manny ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703270448.XAA22684@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:45:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Death to all Non-True Fans (and Then) Det. Dave here... I am collecting all the email addresses of everyone who is *not* a true fan and forwarding them to tmbg.org. They will be sending out a team of enforcers to confiscate all your TMBG CDs and get fingerprints so you can never attend another TMBG concert. So beware.... Seriously, I got a copy of T:TEY and was not suprised that it was a little disappointing (if it wasn't for disappointments...) There is some good stuff mixed in with the extras and the remastering does improve the quality of some of the songs, but if you already own Pink and Lincoln (and Misc. T) then it's not going top kill you to skip this one. or Buy T:TEY and you will have extra copies of Lincoln/Pink/Misc. T to carry around to listen in your car/discman/etc. and *loan* to friends to get them hooked on TMBG. This is much better than being hooked on crack (or on phonics,even) The liner notes are cool, but are not earth shattering (maybe someone could scan in the pics from it and make a T:TEY webpage?). One thing I noticed, there are four spindles in the case on which you can put CD's. I'm going to put some of my 3" mini singles in there. Why did They release T:TEY? Here's my theory: The supplies of Lincoln and Pink were eventually going to run out. It is much cheaper to produce and sell a two CD set than two different CDs. New fans will buy T:TEY to check out the history of the band and true fans will buy it simply because it has TMBG printed on it (which explains my TMBG Juicemaster and my TMBG CD cleaner, kidding). All in all it looks like a marketing ploy to capitalize on the release of Factory Showroom and THEIR world tour. See you at the St. Pete show. I'll be the one wearing the TMBG shirt. ;-) Det. Dave ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:47:16 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA vs. AKA I wrote: > I also doubt very much that Tony Maimone is TMBG's lawyer. Can Leo or other >tmbg.org'ers clear this up? and then Leo whispered to me: > Tony is not TMBG's lawyer...or at least I was given some other >name when I asked who I was supposed to talk to. :-) 'nuf said. I also tried to track down the Michael Moore/Flansburgh connection, by sending e-mail to Veronica Moore. Unfortunately, I never received a reply. Hey, brenden - where did you hear this? Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:54:12 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <333A0B84.6283@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: more tangling all the threads Whim wrote: > true fan loves it so much, they're insired to find more like it...an > obsessive fan knows the percent body fat of both Johns and Grahm I couldn't resist... so what is the percentage? Linnell- negative 40% fat Flans- 70% water Graham- 10% hair Oh, and Flans dosn't wear his glasses because he has bad vision... it's because if he takes them off it will allow the searing ultraviolent rays to escape from his retinas and fry anyone in range! *humming theme to X-men* Okay, having gotten that out of my system I'd like to say that I like Santa's Beard!!! So there! As for the World's Address remix -- I would like it better than the original if only it was about half as long. The rhythm changes are really cool, but all that nonsensical music at the beginning really gets on a person's nerves. Phil Schwan -- ask KidsInTheHall for the address of the WBER picture. :D A Disney production that would work really well with TMBG music is Gargoyles, especially the "movie" Awakenings (the first four episodes). If you've ever seen Gargoyles (which you should!), just envision this. As the gargoyles break out of their stone sleep the invading warriors sing "The Statue Got me High". Goliath and Elisa tour the city to the tune of "New York City". Demona plots to the tune of "I'll Sink Manhatten" and "Reprehensible". Goliath croons "She's an Angel" to Demona. Well, maybe not. As Demona appears unexpectadly the cast blurts out "What's that Blue Thing Doing Here!" Xanatos looks over the plans of Castle Wyvern and says to Fox "What's the hassle, I'll buy the castle!" Goliath thinks about the villians backed by "Certain People I could Name" To anybody who has no interest in Gargoyles, my deepest apologies My mother's interpretation of Particle Man: "It's about different types of men" -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 01:39:03 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <333A1607.46AA@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: tieing the threads into knots okay, so I lied...I'm really only dealing with one thread...but I'm really happy that someone continued my idea :-) They fans fight. guess what...you're over it. If we didn't fight, or didn't disagree on some things...this list and any other group that gathers because of They would become a bunch annoying groupies who would all giggle and snort at the same things, at the same time. Really. We should all respect each other, though. I'm not saying we should all have a fist fight until we prove once and for all whether or not No One Knows My Plans is about a fishing trip (stupid random completely made up scenario; pay no attention; disregard last idea). But if we didn't reveal our own ideas and thoughts, for other people to read and think about, why would we post? later-hosen Whim [currently listening to: No One Knows My Plans.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:58:12 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Douglas Coupland, survey news Message-ID: > > what the hell is a habit rail? > > Habitrail -- the thing that hamsters run around in. For a perfect > example, see Microserfs by Douglas Coupland. In fact, read the book > anyways, it's neato, even for an anti-MS Linux geek like me :) Right on. At last, a fellow Coupland fan shows his/her face around the list. Admittedly, this author has a lot of hype about him, a lot of which is unfounded (i.e. he is the spokesperson for our generation...hate to break it to the critics, but nobody, not even the god-like (read sarcastically) Kurt Cobain is a spokesperson for an entire generation), but he still is a great author. Microserfs is good if you like computers and stuff, but I would suggest starting with _Life After God_, a collection of his short stories. Good stuff. Oh well, see ya... And in survey news, I've been sick (really sick, as in lay-in-bed-waiting -for-the-angel-of-death sick) lately, and thus the web page will be even later in coming. I'm sorry...really I am. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "You are afraid of the smell of shit." --Douglas Coupland ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 01:58:50 -0500 (EST) From: Phil Schwan Subject: TMBG: They Got Lost Message-ID: Does anyone have an mp3 (or be willing to make one :) of They Got Lost? That was one of my favourite songs in the December concert and even though I plan on attending the April one, I can't afford decent equipment to bootleg it. Any help would be appreciated... As a side note, does anyone live near Kenyon College (Gambier, OH)? It's a couple hours drive and I'd like to save myself the trip down there to buy tickets if at all possible. I'd be indebted to you if you'd offer to buy me a couple tickets for the April 26th show if I sent you a cheque. Otherwise Beth and I might be forced to drive over this weekend if we hope to get tickets :P Phil * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-86 *****************************