Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-91 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 91 Tuesday, 1 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: taping newbie TMBG: Narara TMBG: Mp3's are easy easy easy and cool!!! TMBG: Pick TMBG:Viva Variaty News TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: A BIG favor to ask Re: TMBG:Viva Variaty News RE: TMBG: Sheet Music TMBG: Back to tangle threads TMBG: Re: help w/DAS page Re: TMBG: taping newbie TMBG: non-tmbg: cartoon network TMBG: tmbg on mtv Re: TMBG: do Inspector Gadget RE: TMBG: Sheet Music (fwd) RE: TMBG: Sheet Music (fwd) (fwd) TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Cartoon Network TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. Re: TMBG:Viva Variaty News TMBG: OMLTs... please read Re: TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. TMBG: a White day Re: TMBG: taping newbie TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? TMBG: Web SIte Problem TMBG: guitar was the theme Tangentially TMBG: William Allen White Re: TMBG: guitar was the theme Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? TMBG: Re: tmbg inspired aprilfools day joke NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? TMBG: They at the Planet, Good Thursday!! TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: NEWS FLASH! TMBG: tape of sydney 23/3/97 TMBG: Re: tmbg inspired aprilfools day joke Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 02:32:49 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Schoen Subject: TMBG: Re: taping newbie Message-Id: Bill, The cheapest way to get a good recording would be to buy a cheap 4-track recorder (Tascam, Yamaha, Fostex etc.) and two very good uni directional microphones (such as Shure sm-57 or 58 or AudioTechnica's) and record the show through both mics spaced apart so you get a good stereo recording. A portable Dat recorder and a good mic would sound phenomenal, but it would be recorded in mono. adam On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > Hey all-- > > I'm wondering if any of you out there could give me some help. You see, > I've been thinking about starting to tape shows that I go to, but I'm not > sure about one thing....what to record with. Sounds stupid, I know, but > that's me. Would any of you happen to know a good recorder (analog or > DAT...doesn't really matter, I guess) that I could get relatively cheap, > and soon? You know, point me in the direction of a store, or a person > with a used recorder or something like that? Any help sent to me > privately would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. See ya. > > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970331114815.00a22030@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:48:15 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Narara Hey hey, >Name and Address: Andrew Callaghan, Narara NSW Australia 2250 A Narara boy!!! Been through there many a time. And you go to Macquarie Uni? You must be desperate for an education to travel all that way everyday!!! :) BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970331114816.00a35b28@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:48:16 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Mp3's are easy easy easy and cool!!! Hey hey, >If anybody could email me some places to find >these magical mp3's that WORK (I have not had >fun with what I've tried. Sigh.) I would be as >bouncy as a rodent fetus on the blessed egg coloring >day that is now. Well, I haven't been reading this thread much, but I have some comments. :) You can easily record your own. Record it in CD quality format as a wav file and then get a program that converts it for you. EASY!!! If you don';t wanna do that and wanna wait hours to download some rare tmbg songs or the state songs and stuff like that, find a site. This here is where my fall down is. I wouldn;t have a clue what people have said on here already, but there is one place that has all the bsides and state songs on it. That is http://void.dorms.tamu.edu/~brad/tmbgmp3.html That's no doubt been advertised on here recently. OK. So that;s the first one and the one I like most. Then you can go to a shitload ftp sites that have hundreds of tmbg songs. Well, maybe not hundreds, but HEAPS!!! Someone else posted a list not long ago and you will DEFINITELY find some songs on them. BYE!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970331114818.00a50ff4@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:48:18 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Pick Hey, does either Graham or Flans ever use guitar picks that say this on it? Herco Flex 75 NYLON Made in USA I got it from a TMBG show and just maybe it was ones of theirs... I would know the first thing about picks. :) Ah well, if it was one of the other bands, woopee!!! I'll send it to a friend of mine that loves them. BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-ID: <333FC664.2641@mixcom.com> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 08:12:52 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Organization: This Robot Thing of Ours Subject: TMBG:Viva Variaty News I'm not really sure if it's been confirmed as to whether or not TMBG are on VV or if it's still in the "I-swear-to-god-I-know-that-was-linnell-in-that-picture" stages(I stopped reading em after I found out the show was on Comedy Central, but for anyone who has any doubts, Three of the VV guys were on the radio this morning and the second "beautifal band" they mentioned haveing on the show was TMBG, so there ya go. -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970331093343.00831210@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:33:43 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety so.... are they on VV Tuesday or wednesday? Or is this one of those damned once-a-week shows? -ec ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:34:17 -0500 Message-Id: <9703311434.AA02722@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: A BIG favor to ask I was wondering if anyone on the list has a first generation copy of the entire February 21st Irving Plaza Show. I had made arrangements with Courtney Klump to trade her for a copy of it and the last update I she gave me was that it was in the mail. I never received it and I have been unable to contact her since (Yes, I am very p*ssed off. I am only hoping she has a good reason for stringing me out like this). If anyone could please make a copy please contact me. I will pay for tape, shipping, and a small fee for your trouble (let me know how much). I will offer something in return but this would be my first boot tape so most of what I have is fairly common. If you are looking for something in particular to trade for let me know and if I can help you out I will. TIA Erik ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:04:13 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: Re: TMBG:Viva Variaty News Message-ID: On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Matt Mantsch wrote: > I'm not really sure if it's been confirmed as to whether or not TMBG are > on VV or if it's still in the > "I-swear-to-god-I-know-that-was-linnell-in-that-picture" stages(I > stopped reading em after I found out the show was on Comedy Central, but > for anyone who has any doubts, Three of the VV guys were on the radio > this morning and the second "beautifal band" they mentioned haveing on > the show was TMBG, so there ya go. > -- De-set your VCRs - TMBG are NOT on Viva Variety tonight. Ellen (its not my birthday, really...) Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, ocean storm, bayberry moon. I have got to leave to find my way. Watch the road and memorize this life that pass before my eyes. Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: Sheet Music Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 07:35:00 P Message-Id: <333FDB15@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> They once said that they had put Birdhouse out in sheet music. but it was only sold in britain. and then it didn't sell to well, so it's impossible to find. they were thinking about putting out a songbook of some songs, and then putting in the catalogue. I can only hope! brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:32:25 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <333FD909.21BD@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Back to tangle threads Okay, so there were only 174 messages to weed through after 3 days... Well, I got T:TEY, I had to do some searching, and when I did find it, I got it for the swank price of $19.99 Even though I got it at a (comparitively) cheap price, I still have to say that it was well worth it, especially for Weep Day and Fake Out in Buenos Aires...I skip #23 on disc one and Children butchering Particle Man on disc two I had a really good feeling about this album as soon as I saw it, it's very...user-friendly(?)...I don't know, but if nothing else, hopefully it will end the ever-so-annoying "I'm a cooler fan than you because I'm familiar with the stuff before Flood" things...that was rather wordy...oh well You can defintely hear the remastering if you listen to it while in the shower...or maybe my ears just needed cleaning. I'd also like to respond to: The percussion is really no problem, because it takes the whole drum line to reproduce one drum set. (Unless you have drum sets in the pit, which I've seen). by saying that although TMBG may not be incredible percussive music, you could do a lot more with the drumline than reproduce drum set parts, in fact that would be boring (being a drumline person) If a TMBG Marching band project happens I want to be involved in the drumline (especially the bass drums) I have a good background (UMASS Drumline under Thom Hannum) :-) I'm going to the Boston Avalon show on APRIL 5th (not March or May), but my car is full, so don't ask me for a ride. I did say myself that the no-vowel thing was stupid. later-hosen Whim [currently listening to: Spiraling Shape.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 On unrelated notes don't ever see Lutefisk live (opened for the Breeders) my ears are still ringing two days later what the heck is up with Geocities? It's all messed up! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <333FE2C0.1C5A@mindless.com> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:13:52 -0500 From: Got Niven Subject: TMBG: Re: help w/DAS page Trillian Wrote: > Oh help, I can't downoad the song and I have Netscape 3.0 and RealAudio > 3.0. I can listen to other sites w/RealAudio songs but not the DAS! This > is a tradgedy, someone please help me. Okay, the difference with the DAS site is the fact that it uses the RealAudio Plugin for Netscape 3.0. Here's what you need to do. If you still have your RealAudio 3.0 setup file (r32e30.exe), run it and re-install RealAudio 3.0. It's OK to put it in the same directory as you did last time. When it begins searching for browsers, let it completely finish, and then put a check mark next to every Netscape browser it finds. Then, just complete the installation like you did before. Then, you can connect to http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/7315 and click on the button which it says to. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 08:57:00 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: taping newbie The equipment I use is a Sony Pro Walkman, model WM-D3. It's an analog cassette recorder, not too much larger than the cassette itself, that has a reasonable quality stereo microphone that is small and can be clipped to a shirt pocket. I don't know if they are still manufactured, but as I recall it was in the $200-$300 range. Other good brands are Nakamichi and old Marantz cassette recorders. Another well known Sony is the TC-D5, which is larger than the D3. Sony also makes a small DAT recorder that sells for around $700 - the standard cassette recorders are cheaper. Based on the experience of myself and friends, avoid AIWA at all costs - they just break. My experience has been that it's not worthwhile using expensive mics. or using a DAT recorder, because the acoustics of most performances spaces are so poor that they override the quality of your equipment. Most rock halls are have boom type resonances, along with reverberation, that tend to mush up the sound. In this regard, the closer you can get to the loudspeakers, the better (wear ear plugs!). Some of this can be fixed when dubbing by using an equalizer (fancy tone control). Features to look for might include: lit VU meters or LEDs so you can judge your recording levels; some way of gauging how much tape you have left (lit stopwatch, flashlight, etc); stable transport mechanisms (my Sony, after many years of abuse, is finally developing noticeable 'wow); a limiter to handle peak volumes; transport controls that are easy to locate when the thing is hidden in your jacket or you're fumbling around in the dark. I just avoid venues where I might get caught - typically large corporate locations run by the likes of Bill Graham Presents (prevents). Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: cartoon network Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 10:46:00 P Message-Id: <334006F5@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> as you all know, CN just got voltron, and thundercats. I was pumped. BUT I think that they will not be the perfect network until they get he-man. back in the day, I worshiped he-man, and i think they NEED to get it. don't you agree? ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: tmbg on mtv Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 10:46:00 P Message-Id: <334006FB@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> i was watching mtv, (ok shoot me) and they were playing clips from some new released, and then there was this picture of THEN on the screen and Don't Lets Start was playing. wow. i was so impressed/. brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: Re: TMBG: do Inspector Gadget Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 10:46:00 P Message-Id: <33400707@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> that wouldc be awesome. you know the little part where these voices go " who-who". that's favorite part./ ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: do Inspector Gadget Date: Friday, March 28, 1997 3:48PM At 3:11 PM -0500 3/28/97, Evan Chakroff wrote: >The subject made me think of something.... > >what if They were to do (cover) Inspector Gadget (the theme song)? > >would that be cool, or what! ugh no, every other ska band does a cover of the Inspector Gadget, i don't think i could stand another cover of it, even if it was They doing it... Trippy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 13:50:09 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: RE: TMBG: Sheet Music (fwd) Message-Id: <970331.135147.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> > >They once said that they had put Birdhouse out in sheet music. but it was >only sold in britain. and then it didn't sell to well, so it's impossible >to find. they were thinking about putting out a songbook of some songs, and >then putting in the catalogue. I can only hope! > >brenden - nednerb to repeat an earlier post that some may have missed--i have the *birdhouse* sheet music. :) my general thing is that i'll be happy to send a copy to you if you send me a stamped envelope and a happifying treat of some kind. please email me individually if you're interested, and i'll send you my snailmail address so you can send me the SASE. :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 13:56:08 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: RE: TMBG: Sheet Music (fwd) (fwd) Message-Id: <970331.135750.EST.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> > >> >>They once said that they had put Birdhouse out in sheet music. but it was >>only sold in britain. and then it didn't sell to well, so it's impossible >>to find. they were thinking about putting out a songbook of some songs, and >>then putting in the catalogue. I can only hope! >> >>brenden - nednerb > >to repeat an earlier post that some may have missed--i have the *birdhouse* >sheet music. :) my general thing is that i'll be happy to send a copy >to you if you send me a stamped envelope and a happifying treat of some >kind. >please email me individually if you're interested, and i'll send you my >snailmail address so you can send me the SASE. :D > >peace, > >anne > to add to my own previous post, this treat should not cost you money!! it should be something fun a fellow poor college student can enjoy that will make it worth covering the cost of the copies. that is all. :) if you spend a bunch of money, i'll be obligated to get annoyed! :D peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:36:12 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Cartoon Network Message-Id: I definitely agree!!!!!!! CN *needs* He-Man! -Adam, who just happens to have a He-Man homepage and writes a He-Man newsletter. :) /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199703312125.PAA09324@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:16:39 -0600 Okay... to those who are preaching the goodness of MP3's... Are you using players that have no time limit? Have you all found 'cracks'? Or did you all register you players???? Help!! I *finally* got some MP3's, and I FINALLY found a player that didn't crash when played... but it's WinPlay 3 and it's only fancy is to play 2o second selections in it's unregistered mode... I hope nobody who knows how to get around this would kindly help me out, because that would be wrong. Wrong. Do you hear me? Mike "Music For Free Is Music For Me!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:24:11 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG:Viva Variaty News Message-ID: No kidding. The show is on Tuesdays. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Ellen Kao wrote: > On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Matt Mantsch wrote: > > > I'm not really sure if it's been confirmed as to whether or not TMBG are > > on VV or if it's still in the > > "I-swear-to-god-I-know-that-was-linnell-in-that-picture" stages(I > > stopped reading em after I found out the show was on Comedy Central, but > > for anyone who has any doubts, Three of the VV guys were on the radio > > this morning and the second "beautifal band" they mentioned haveing on > > the show was TMBG, so there ya go. > > -- > > De-set your VCRs - TMBG are NOT on Viva Variety tonight. > > Ellen > (its not my birthday, really...) > > Ooo_o___OOo__oo_OoO_o_OO__oO_O___ooo > Me, my thoughts are flower strewn, > ocean storm, bayberry moon. > I have got to leave to find my way. > Watch the road and memorize > this life that pass before my eyes. > Nothing is going my way. -J.M.S. > o__ooO__o_oOO__oo_o__OoO__ooO___ooOo > > ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:45:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970331174522_-1001317298@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs... please read Good news first: the shoes have decided that I have a clean bill of health! No more sneaking around to listen to TMBG or post to the list. :) I think I'll be fine... as long as you people stop mentioning Linnell's sex life. Just leave that topic alone, if you don't mind! Bad news: I have recieved only one shirt order in the past four days. This is bad. Unless 35ish more people suddenly decide to order an OMLT (like they *said* they would in January...), it seems the OMLT price may be going up. Sorry, but you folks brought it upon yourselves! If you feel like making a last-ditch effort to save the current OMLT price, send mail to christy@tmbg.org and include: --Number, size of shirts wanted --Name and address for shipping --E-mail address used most I will only be taking orders for another week or so. Then I will go to the company and beg forgiveness and see whether the price will change. I am also going to start sending order confirmations. Within a few days, all those who ordered a shirt should get an e-mail to confirm the shipping address and all that stuff. If there is a mistake, please mail me back. Otherwise, do nothing. ("Silence is acceptance") --Christy (free! I'm free!) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:52:49 -0500 (EST) From: Ann Priestman Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. Message-id: > Okay... to those who are preaching the goodness > of MP3's... Are you using players that have no > time limit? Have you all found 'cracks'? Or did you > all register you players???? Help!! I had that same problem. I really don't remember where I got it, but a thing called TraXtudio seems to work, and it's really free, not just some crappy unregistered version. I'm guessing if you run a search for it you'll find the page. It's also cool because you can organize the tracks kind of like CDs, and even make a CD cover to go with it. Ann ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:58:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970331185634_81283683@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a White day I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry. I will never post twice in the same day again. I am a bad person. But I just remembered my happy story from school today: We went to the library in physics class today instead of doing actual work. We were supposed to be researching famous female scientists, but mostly everyone just made paper airplanes and pretended to be reading. I, being the industruous student that I am (ha!), was actually looking up Irene Joliot-Curie in Collier's encyclopedia, when I heard the melodious voice of my pal Moose drifting across the library. It seemed she was actively not doing research for her humanities presentation, so I gave up all pretenses of actually working and went over to slack off with her. We wound up talking about the SECOND TMBG BOOTLEG VIDEO (Shameless plug! Get yours today!) and somehow got around to discussing the part where the Johns claim that William Allen White is "in Collier's encyclopedia where Edie White should be." I glanced down at the Collier's encyclopedia still in my hand, and one of those little cartoony lightbulbs popped over my head. So I went back to the reference shelf, picked up the last volume, and flipped to near the end, and sure enough, Mr. William Allen White's tiny face stared back at me. It was exactly the same (terrible) photo of him that we all know and love, as a matter of fact, except much smaller. So I casually walked over to the copy machine and started making enlarged copies of the photo. ("Oh how nice," I could see my teacher thinking as I walked by with an encyclopedia in my hand. "A student who's actually working!") After much re-copying and re-enlarging, I produced a mask-sized copy of the face of America's most famous small-town editor. I was, needless to say, far more overjoyed than I would have been if I had sepnt the period doing something silly like research. Since the period was now over, I packed up and went to humanities, where we watched a movie about World War II. An hour into it, I was on the verge of falling asleep when the announcer mentioned something about the Comitttee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies, which somehow seemed familiar. "This comittee," the Voice continued, "was headed by chairman William Allen White, a Kansas newspaper editor." I was instantly awake. Unfortunately, there was no video footage and no further mention of him. I dug out my Collier's article and re-read it, and sure enough, our man WAW "helped rally the public behind Roosevelt's program of extending aid to Great Britain prior to America's entry into the war." I am sure this is all an omen of some kind. --Christy ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704010000.TAA22449@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: taping newbie Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:00:07 +6700 (EST) Bob Gonsalves writes: > > The equipment I use is a Sony Pro Walkman, model WM-D3. [...] > I don't know if they are still manufactured, I think that the D3 is probably the best bet from Sony, but I heard that they are being phased out. I know that they are very hard to find now, as I finally had to order mine from the Sony Superstore in Chicago... m@t ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:08:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970331190726_1716810950@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? Last night when I came on to AOL for the first time ever on my buddy list the person with the screen name "TMBG" was online so I sent an instant message to him saying hi. He IMed me back and said hi. I asked how long has he had that screen name and he said "since we started the band." I asked if he was one of the johns? and he said No, he was John's brother and was just using his computer. I then asked what his name was and he said "John....our parents weren't ever imaginative." So i'm thinking that it was a) John's brother b) Some guy pertending to be his brother C) Maybe, just Maybe John pertending to be his own brother P.S. HE asked me I had seen TMBG lately and I said No but I will April 9th and He said ok see you there. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:19:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970331191659_-636109228@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Web SIte Problem I have recieved a couple letters and apparently the sound library part 1 on my web site is not running correctly so it will be down for a few days. TmbgManiac www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33402A35.1264@baka.com> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:18:45 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: guitar was the theme I just recently filmed a very silly french spy film with a couple of friends for a school project. We were selecting songs for the soundtrack. I would have loved to suggest spy, but my friends are adamant TMBG haters, and I knew it would be vetoed. So, cleverly, I remembered that Guitar Was The Case always reminds me of a TV detective show theme. So I brought the CD, not telling my "Mono What? Huh?" friends that it was even remotely TMBG connected. And guess what. They thought Guitar Was The Case(I refuse to use an acronym) so cool that it's now the opening theme to our movie. Which, by the way, contains a friend of mine dressed as a rapper and dancing, many Inspector Gadget references, and overuse of the french word for "bunghole". Now that's quality entertainment. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Who's the cat who won't cop out when there's danger about? (girl backup singers) Jonah! Damn right! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:41:10 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Tangentially TMBG: William Allen White Message-ID: Speaking of William Allen White...do any Cartoon Planet fans out there know if the guy who appears from time to time in the ever-changing background behind Zorak is indeed William Allen White? It's not the same picture as the one we all know and love, but I still think it looks an awful lot like him. I dunno. Cursing the fact that THEN and Ben Folds Five's new album just had to be released at the same time (that is, when I'm broke), --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:55:30 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: guitar was the theme Message-ID: neat. The very selfsame song is (or will be) the theme song to me and my friends' news show names Full Compass. The opening involves some very Mod-Squadesque 70's suit guys fighting. (the reporter, cameraman and soud guys from both Full Compass and from Ninja News.) Very, very good song, that. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Jonah wrote: > I just recently filmed a very silly french spy film with a couple of > friends for a school project. TMBG CONTENT. PATIENCE.> We were selecting songs for the soundtrack. I > would have loved to suggest spy, but my friends are adamant TMBG haters, > and I knew it would be vetoed. So, cleverly, I remembered that Guitar > Was The Case always reminds me of a TV detective show theme. So I > brought the CD, not telling my "Mono What? Huh?" friends that it was > even remotely TMBG connected. And guess what. They thought Guitar Was > The Case(I refuse to use an acronym) so cool that it's now the opening > theme to our movie. Which, by the way, contains a friend of mine dressed > as a rapper and dancing, many Inspector Gadget references, and overuse > of the french word for "bunghole". Now that's quality entertainment. > > -- > "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our > wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton > > Who's the cat who won't cop out when there's danger about? > > (girl backup singers) Jonah! > > Damn right! > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970330213305.0082dd00@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 21:33:05 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? >So i'm thinking that it was >a) John's brother no >b) Some guy pertending to be his brother yes >C) Maybe, just Maybe John pertending to be his own brother no another case solved! -ec ["scooby-doobie-doo!"] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:16:09 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? Message-ID: Evan, you're no fun at all! Personally I would like to think that it was actually John... but that's one of my lil' fanciful flights. You don't have to believe me. But, logically, it really probably wasn't him. :~( I miss the days when you were yourseld on the net. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg inspired aprilfools day joke Message-ID: <19970331.212008.3398.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:20:46 EST hey all, i thought i'd share with you my tmbg-inspired april fools day joke. It all came from listening to 'rabid child' a few too many times. then, i thought hmm... what to do to that awful bisnitch of an english teacher i have. so, i have decided to take some alka-seltzer to school >=) start convulsing, fall on the floor, pop the tablet into my mouth, start foaming at the mouth, barking at the teacher, and saying "hammer down, rabbit ears, hammer down, rabbit ears" maybe ye all can do this i dunno...felt i'd share and send me all your good 4/1 jokes ASAP pleeeese!!!! =) RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY: -do the johns have any siblings? -does anyone have access to their highschool yearbook/s (lincoln-sudbury h.s., MA)??? anyone live near lincoln, MA?? heheheahahaa >=) have a fun-filled day every-bodddy! =) No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:42:18 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Message-ID: Here are my thoughts, summed up very well by another person in my town, about the trite poem about drunk driving that was sent to this list a while back, and that has been going around email boxes. Please, locate whoever sends you that poem and send them this. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:08:52 -0500 (EST) From: James Ponder To: James Ponder Cc: Emily Ponder , Peyton Stewart McLeod Subject: Fwd: That stupid drunk driving poem Hello. By now you have probably read the poem about drunk driving. It sucks. I personally found it lacking in almost every regard. It is a very retarded poem. I have written my own special vesion of "Death to the Innocent," and it goes like this... Death to the Crappy Poem I wrote a crappy poem, mom, that I e-mailed to all my friends. But now my friends all hate me, mom, cause the e-mail never ends. I'm feeling awfully stupid, mom, now that I've given it some thought. I had to learn the hard way, mom, this lesson I've been taught. no one likes long boring poems, mom, especially if they're preachy. everyone hates my poem, mom, the one I thought was peachy I wanted it to be special, mom, and for a special cause. I wrote my silly poem, never thinking my plan was flawed. because in trying to be deep, mom, i ended up real lame. I took a powerful subject, and made it cheesy and tame. My message got really tiring, mom, why I couldn't say. maybe all these childish "mom"s just got in the way. Make it concise and to the point, is what i should have done. I bastardized some serious shit, mom. Geez I must be dumb. Why couldn't I have talent, mom? and be a clever poet? others have the stuff, mom, but on me could not bestow it. My juvenile ballad of injustice, insesitive and insincere. Just what did I accomplish, mom, by bending people's ears? It was the others, mom, who suffered through my trite. Copies of this poem, in their mailboxes each night. Why do people write like me? Trying in vain to be serious? I think that I'm important. Mom I must be delirious. The people who read this suffer, mom, I beg for their forgiveness. I owe each one an apology, mom, for having to sit through this. Tell my brother not to cry, mom, embarrassed by my slime. Kids at school make fun of us, mom, and the cliches I use for rhymes. If thoughts go for a penny, mom, I wouldn't have a cent. I better not quit my day job, mom, if I want to pay the rent. If I reached out and touched a single person, he was probably a jerk. You'd have to be a nitwit, to be touched by my terrible work. So now my poem's over, mom, I write about as well as a fork. I'm not much of a poet, mom, I'm really just a dork. -James Ponder harry@freenet.tlh.fl.us Here is the original, for those of you fortunate enough not to have read it. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- DEATH TO THE INNOCENT I WENT TO A PARTY, MOM, I REMBERED WHAT YOU SAID. YOU TOLD ME NOT TO DRINK, MOM, SO I DRANK SODA INSTEAD. I REALLY FELT PROUD INSIDE, MOM, THE WAY YOU SAID I WOULD. I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, THOUGH THE OTHERS SAID I SHOULD. I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING, MOM, I KNOW YOUR ALWAYS RIGHT. NOW THE PARTY IS ENDING, MOM, AS EVERONE IS DRIVING OUT OF SIGHT. AS I GOT INTO MY CAR, MOM, I KNEW I'D GET HOME IN ONE PIECE. BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU RAISED ME, SO RESPONSIBLE AND SWEET. I STARTED DRIVING AWAY, MOM, BUT AS I PULLED INTO THE ROAD, THE OTHER CAR DIDN'T SEE ME, MOM, AND HIT ME LIKE A LOAD. AS I LAY HERE ON THE PAVEMENT, MOM, I HEAR THE POLICE MAN SAY, THE OTHER GUY IS DRUNK, MOM, AND NOW I'M THE ONE WHO WILL PAY. I'M LYING HERE DYING. MOM, I WISH YOU'D GET HERE SOON. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME, MOM? MY LIFE JUST BURST LIKE A BALLOON. THERE IS BLOOD ALL AROUND ME, MOM, AND MOST OF IT IS MINE. I HEAR THE MEDIC SAY, MOM, I'LL DIE IN A SHORT TIME. I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU, MOM, I SWEAR I DIDN'T DRINK. IT WAS THE OTHERS, MOM. THE OTHERS DID NOT THINK. HE WAS PROBIBLY AT THE SAME PARTY AS I. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS, HE DRANK AND I WILL DIE. WHY DO PEOPLE DRINK, MOM? IT CAN RUIN YOUR HOLE LIFE. I'M FEELING SHARP PAINS NOW. PAINS JUST LIKE A KNIFE. THE GUY WHO HIT ME IS WALKING, MOM, AND I DON'T THINK IT'S FAIR. I'M LYING HERE DYING AND ALL HE CAN DO IS STARE. TELL MY BROTHER NOT TO CRY MOM, TELL DADDY TO BE BRAVE. AND WHEN I GO TO HEAVEN, MOM, PUT DADDY'S GIRL ON MY GRAVE. SOMEONE SHOUYLD HAVE TOLD HIM, MOM, NOT TO DRINK AND DRIVE. IF ONLY THEY HAD TOLD HIM, MOM, I WOULD STILL BE ALIVE. MY BREATH IS GETTING SHORTER, MOM. I'M BECOMING VERY SCARED. PLEASE DON'T CRY FOR ME, MOM, WHEN I NEEDED YOU, YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE. I HAVE ONE LAST QUESTION, MOM, BEFORE I SAY GOODBYE. I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, SO WHY AM I THE ONE TO DIE? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704010418.WAA17472@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:40:04 -0600 ---------- > From: Evan Chakroff > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? > Date: Sunday, March 30, 1997 8:33 PM > > >So i'm thinking that it was > >a) John's brother > > no > >b) Some guy pertending to be his brother > yes > >C) Maybe, just Maybe John pertending to be his own brother > >no > > another case solved! > -ec >scooby-doobie-doo!"] If you would have done your homework better, Evan.. you would have found that it was ...(pulls off mask) Old Man Simmons! (da da DUMMMMM) ..who was pretending to be the guy pretending to be pretending that he was a They Sibling! "..And I would have gotten away with it too, of it wasn't for those nosy ass bastard kids! Bah!" Mike "Enjoying my MP3 far too much" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:21:44 +1000 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: They at the Planet, Good Thursday!! What a fantastic day!!! They twice in a day! I had a few friends come over to my place (I live walking distance from the Planet) and after a couple of drinks and the packing of cars (off to Albany for a dive trip over Easter) we went to the Planet! I was bouncing up and down in anticipation. We made our way to the front, along with our balloons and blow-up dinosaur (we couldn't find a beach ball for Metal Detector!) and patiently waited while Cinema Prague did their set. To be quite honest, they were pretty good but they weren't They. While the roadies were setting up I entertained myself by trying to read the set-list (which I ended up getting). Then some humorous intro (don't know what it was) and THEY (yay!!!!!!!) came out and played Spider. I won't go blow by blow, but noted highlights included; Birdhouse (where my head almost hit the ceiling, I was bouncing so high!) Where your eyes don't Rhythm Section Want Ad (fantastic song - it's been going through my head repeatedly since the concert) I am not your Broom - only a handful of us knew it, and got very excited about it. Replacements - a very pleasant surprise. No one knows my plan / guitar - we lost our front places doing this - I was leading, with the little plastic dinosaur in front of me. The steps made it interesting. No DLS, no Ana Ng - but a frigging fantastic set none the less - I was ecstatic!! Ladies, I hate to disappoint you all, but Lin'l was wearing a wedding ring!!! He was right in front of me, and that little gold band on his left ring finger was sticking out like a sore thumb!! Must say I liked the 2040 tour shirt - smelling a bit after the weekend at Albany, but that's cool. Have a great day, and hope everyone had as good an Easter as I did! Nicka (who ended up staying awake for 42 hours, and in that time travelled over 500 km, saw They twice, and smoked enough Gudangs to leave me feeling very ill!). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3340494E.75C7@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:31:27 +0000 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk Hi everybody I was at a friend's house the other day, and on her coffee table was a book that had all of the Postal Service's unique stamps from 1995. In this book was a sanzzy stamp honoring none other than James K. Polk. Besides being a snappy stamp, there was also a mini-history of Jimmy Polk which read in a startlingly similar fashion to the song we all know and love. For example, it mentioned his four achieved goals that we are all too familiar with. Are there any stamp collectors out there who know if one could still get these stamps?? Thank ya. Peace in John and John, Bill "Can I get you cream cheese with that?" Michalski Bill: Einstein Bros. Bagel Employee, going to see Moxy Fruvous in two weeks! Frustrated art student. Songwriter for the Leftovers. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 01:37:18 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: NEWS FLASH! Message-ID: *****NEWS FLASH!***** National Treasure stolen from Brooklyn. The loot has been identified as: They Might Be Giants. The citizens of Brooklyn... Sorry, A little WITWICS reference there. But seriously! The MOVIE, They Might Be Giants, will be on Television, Tuesday April 1st at 9 p.m. on the Encore channel!!! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704010639.QAA22675@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: tape of sydney 23/3/97 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:39:21 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" hi there, erm basically due to a stuffup (which i would rather not go into on the grounds that i may incriminate myself) i have lost the e-mail address of larry santisomething, and someone else whose name completely escapes me. you wanted to trade somethign for that sydney concert i taped? rememeber? anyway, it's cool with me, just e-mail me again so i know who you are. oh and an added bonus, i realise that we got an hour on tape, not half an hour, i forgot that they label those little tapes funnily. and that's it, tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org You have a way with words Each one rolls smoothly from your tongue And I have been stung by your vemon I've felt you creep through my blood -AU ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg inspired aprilfools day joke Message-ID: <19970401.014558.4966.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 01:45:32 EST On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:20:46 EST tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) writes: >hey all, >i thought i'd share with you my tmbg-inspired april fools day joke. >It all came from listening to 'rabid child' a few too many times. >then, i thought hmm... what to do to that awful bisnitch of an english >teacher i have. so, i have decided to take some alka-seltzer to >school >=) start convulsing, fall on the floor, pop the tablet into >my mouth, start foaming at the mouth, barking at the teacher, and >saying "hammer down, rabbit ears, hammer down, rabbit ears" >maybe ye all can do this i dunno...felt i'd share and send me all your >good 4/1 jokes ASAP pleeeese!!!! >=) >RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY: > -do the johns have any siblings? > -does anyone have access to their highschool yearbook/s >(lincoln-sudbury h.s., MA)??? anyone live near lincoln, MA?? >heheheahahaa >=) > >have a fun-filled day every-bodddy! =) > >No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, >Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, >they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... >JODA (jordan) Brilliant, just brilliant! So what were the consequences? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Message-ID: <19970401.014558.4966.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 01:45:32 EST Tom, you are a great, talented poet, but I think you should think twice about the message of it. That poem was read to my health class for a presentation about alcohal, and I was, in fact, very touched by it. Am I a jerk or a nitwit for that? C'mon, you're too busy making fun of it to realize how clever and emotional the poem really was. I think whoever wrote it got his/her point across beautifully. I know I'll probably be recieving all sorts of hate-mail about how I can't take a joke, etc. I'm not denying that it was funny. A good poet has that power. But I disagree with it. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:42:18 -0500 (EST) Tom Hare writes: >Here are my thoughts, summed up very well by another person in my >town, >about the trite poem about drunk driving that was sent to this list a >while back, and that has been going around email boxes. Please, locate > >whoever sends you that poem and send them this. > > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- >Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG >tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org >hare@tmbg.org >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- >Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:08:52 -0500 (EST) >From: James Ponder >To: James Ponder >Cc: Emily Ponder , > Peyton Stewart McLeod >Subject: Fwd: That stupid drunk driving poem > > >Hello. > >By now you have probably read the poem about drunk driving. > > It sucks. > >I personally found it lacking in almost every regard. It is a very >retarded poem. > >I have written my own special vesion of "Death to the Innocent," and >it >goes like this... > > Death to the Crappy Poem > > I wrote a crappy poem, mom, that I e-mailed to all my friends. > But now my friends all hate me, mom, cause the e-mail never ends. > I'm feeling awfully stupid, mom, now that I've given it some thought. > I had to learn the hard way, mom, this lesson I've been taught. > no one likes long boring poems, mom, especially if they're preachy. > everyone hates my poem, mom, the one I thought was peachy > > I wanted it to be special, mom, and for a special cause. > I wrote my silly poem, never thinking my plan was flawed. > because in trying to be deep, mom, i ended up real lame. > I took a powerful subject, and made it cheesy and tame. > My message got really tiring, mom, why I couldn't say. > maybe all these childish "mom"s just got in the way. > Make it concise and to the point, is what i should have done. > I bastardized some serious shit, mom. Geez I must be dumb. > > Why couldn't I have talent, mom? and be a clever poet? > others have the stuff, mom, but on me could not bestow it. > My juvenile ballad of injustice, insesitive and insincere. > Just what did I accomplish, mom, by bending people's ears? > It was the others, mom, who suffered through my trite. > Copies of this poem, in their mailboxes each night. > > Why do people write like me? Trying in vain to be serious? > I think that I'm important. Mom I must be delirious. > The people who read this suffer, mom, I beg for their forgiveness. > I owe each one an apology, mom, for having to sit through this. > > Tell my brother not to cry, mom, embarrassed by my slime. > Kids at school make fun of us, mom, and the cliches I use for rhymes. > If thoughts go for a penny, mom, I wouldn't have a cent. > I better not quit my day job, mom, if I want to pay the rent. > > If I reached out and touched a single person, he was probably a jerk. > You'd have to be a nitwit, to be touched by my terrible work. > So now my poem's over, mom, I write about as well as a fork. > I'm not much of a poet, mom, I'm really just a dork. > > -James Ponder > harry@freenet.tlh.fl.us > >Here is the original, for those of you fortunate enough not to have >read it. > > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- > >DEATH TO THE INNOCENT > > > I WENT TO A PARTY, MOM, I REMBERED WHAT YOU SAID. > YOU TOLD ME NOT TO DRINK, MOM, SO I DRANK SODA INSTEAD. > I REALLY FELT PROUD INSIDE, MOM, THE WAY YOU SAID I WOULD. > I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, THOUGH THE OTHERS SAID I SHOULD. > I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING, MOM, I KNOW YOUR ALWAYS RIGHT. > NOW THE PARTY IS ENDING, MOM, AS EVERONE IS DRIVING OUT OF SIGHT. > > AS I GOT INTO MY CAR, MOM, I KNEW I'D GET HOME IN ONE PIECE. > BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU RAISED ME, SO RESPONSIBLE AND SWEET. > I STARTED DRIVING AWAY, MOM, BUT AS I PULLED INTO THE ROAD, > THE OTHER CAR DIDN'T SEE ME, MOM, AND HIT ME LIKE A LOAD. > AS I LAY HERE ON THE PAVEMENT, MOM, I HEAR THE POLICE MAN SAY, > THE OTHER GUY IS DRUNK, MOM, AND NOW I'M THE ONE WHO WILL PAY. > I'M LYING HERE DYING. MOM, I WISH YOU'D GET HERE SOON. > > HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME, MOM? MY LIFE JUST BURST LIKE A BALLOON. > THERE IS BLOOD ALL AROUND ME, MOM, AND MOST OF IT IS MINE. > I HEAR THE MEDIC SAY, MOM, I'LL DIE IN A SHORT TIME. > I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU, MOM, I SWEAR I DIDN'T DRINK. > IT WAS THE OTHERS, MOM. THE OTHERS DID NOT THINK. > HE WAS PROBIBLY AT THE SAME PARTY AS I. > THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS, HE DRANK AND I WILL DIE. > > WHY DO PEOPLE DRINK, MOM? IT CAN RUIN YOUR HOLE LIFE. > I'M FEELING SHARP PAINS NOW. PAINS JUST LIKE A KNIFE. > THE GUY WHO HIT ME IS WALKING, MOM, AND I DON'T THINK IT'S FAIR. > I'M LYING HERE DYING AND ALL HE CAN DO IS STARE. > > TELL MY BROTHER NOT TO CRY MOM, TELL DADDY TO BE BRAVE. > AND WHEN I GO TO HEAVEN, MOM, PUT DADDY'S GIRL ON MY GRAVE. > SOMEONE SHOUYLD HAVE TOLD HIM, MOM, NOT TO DRINK AND DRIVE. > IF ONLY THEY HAD TOLD HIM, MOM, I WOULD STILL BE ALIVE. > > MY BREATH IS GETTING SHORTER, MOM. I'M BECOMING VERY SCARED. > PLEASE DON'T CRY FOR ME, MOM, WHEN I NEEDED YOU, YOU WERE ALWAYS >THERE. > I HAVE ONE LAST QUESTION, MOM, BEFORE I SAY GOODBYE. > I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, SO WHY AM I THE ONE TO DIE? > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:00:54 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Message-ID: I did not write the parody. I was forwarded it. I completely agree with the message of the original poem. However, the author, as is said in the parody, bastardized it and made it trite by writing it in that manner... Oh well. Just my opinion, and opinions differ, so I won't argue any! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > Tom, you are a great, talented poet, but I think you should think > twice about the message of it. That poem was read to my health class for > a presentation about alcohal, and I was, in fact, very touched by it. Am > I a jerk or a nitwit for that? C'mon, you're too busy making fun of it to > realize how clever and emotional the poem really was. I think whoever > wrote it got his/her point across beautifully. > I know I'll probably be recieving all sorts of hate-mail about > how I can't take a joke, etc. I'm not denying that it was funny. A good > poet has that power. But I disagree with it. > > -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > I've turned off my hearing aid > Don't say the electric chair's not good enough > for king-lazy-bones like myself > > > On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:42:18 -0500 (EST) Tom Hare > writes: > >Here are my thoughts, summed up very well by another person in my > >town, > >about the trite poem about drunk driving that was sent to this list a > >while back, and that has been going around email boxes. Please, locate > > > >whoever sends you that poem and send them this. > > > > > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG > >tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org > >hare@tmbg.org > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- > >Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:08:52 -0500 (EST) > >From: James Ponder > >To: James Ponder > >Cc: Emily Ponder , > > Peyton Stewart McLeod > >Subject: Fwd: That stupid drunk driving poem > > > > > >Hello. > > > >By now you have probably read the poem about drunk driving. > > > > It sucks. > > > >I personally found it lacking in almost every regard. It is a very > >retarded poem. > > > >I have written my own special vesion of "Death to the Innocent," and > >it > >goes like this... > > > > Death to the Crappy Poem > > > > I wrote a crappy poem, mom, that I e-mailed to all my friends. > > But now my friends all hate me, mom, cause the e-mail never ends. > > I'm feeling awfully stupid, mom, now that I've given it some thought. > > I had to learn the hard way, mom, this lesson I've been taught. > > no one likes long boring poems, mom, especially if they're preachy. > > everyone hates my poem, mom, the one I thought was peachy > > > > I wanted it to be special, mom, and for a special cause. > > I wrote my silly poem, never thinking my plan was flawed. > > because in trying to be deep, mom, i ended up real lame. > > I took a powerful subject, and made it cheesy and tame. > > My message got really tiring, mom, why I couldn't say. > > maybe all these childish "mom"s just got in the way. > > Make it concise and to the point, is what i should have done. > > I bastardized some serious shit, mom. Geez I must be dumb. > > > > Why couldn't I have talent, mom? and be a clever poet? > > others have the stuff, mom, but on me could not bestow it. > > My juvenile ballad of injustice, insesitive and insincere. > > Just what did I accomplish, mom, by bending people's ears? > > It was the others, mom, who suffered through my trite. > > Copies of this poem, in their mailboxes each night. > > > > Why do people write like me? Trying in vain to be serious? > > I think that I'm important. Mom I must be delirious. > > The people who read this suffer, mom, I beg for their forgiveness. > > I owe each one an apology, mom, for having to sit through this. > > > > Tell my brother not to cry, mom, embarrassed by my slime. > > Kids at school make fun of us, mom, and the cliches I use for rhymes. > > If thoughts go for a penny, mom, I wouldn't have a cent. > > I better not quit my day job, mom, if I want to pay the rent. > > > > If I reached out and touched a single person, he was probably a jerk. > > You'd have to be a nitwit, to be touched by my terrible work. > > So now my poem's over, mom, I write about as well as a fork. > > I'm not much of a poet, mom, I'm really just a dork. > > > > -James Ponder > > harry@freenet.tlh.fl.us > > > >Here is the original, for those of you fortunate enough not to have > >read it. > > > > > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- > > > >DEATH TO THE INNOCENT > > > > > > I WENT TO A PARTY, MOM, I REMBERED WHAT YOU SAID. > > YOU TOLD ME NOT TO DRINK, MOM, SO I DRANK SODA INSTEAD. > > I REALLY FELT PROUD INSIDE, MOM, THE WAY YOU SAID I WOULD. > > I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, THOUGH THE OTHERS SAID I SHOULD. > > I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING, MOM, I KNOW YOUR ALWAYS RIGHT. > > NOW THE PARTY IS ENDING, MOM, AS EVERONE IS DRIVING OUT OF SIGHT. > > > > AS I GOT INTO MY CAR, MOM, I KNEW I'D GET HOME IN ONE PIECE. > > BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU RAISED ME, SO RESPONSIBLE AND SWEET. > > I STARTED DRIVING AWAY, MOM, BUT AS I PULLED INTO THE ROAD, > > THE OTHER CAR DIDN'T SEE ME, MOM, AND HIT ME LIKE A LOAD. > > AS I LAY HERE ON THE PAVEMENT, MOM, I HEAR THE POLICE MAN SAY, > > THE OTHER GUY IS DRUNK, MOM, AND NOW I'M THE ONE WHO WILL PAY. > > I'M LYING HERE DYING. MOM, I WISH YOU'D GET HERE SOON. > > > > HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME, MOM? MY LIFE JUST BURST LIKE A BALLOON. > > THERE IS BLOOD ALL AROUND ME, MOM, AND MOST OF IT IS MINE. > > I HEAR THE MEDIC SAY, MOM, I'LL DIE IN A SHORT TIME. > > I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU, MOM, I SWEAR I DIDN'T DRINK. > > IT WAS THE OTHERS, MOM. THE OTHERS DID NOT THINK. > > HE WAS PROBIBLY AT THE SAME PARTY AS I. > > THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS, HE DRANK AND I WILL DIE. > > > > WHY DO PEOPLE DRINK, MOM? IT CAN RUIN YOUR HOLE LIFE. > > I'M FEELING SHARP PAINS NOW. PAINS JUST LIKE A KNIFE. > > THE GUY WHO HIT ME IS WALKING, MOM, AND I DON'T THINK IT'S FAIR. > > I'M LYING HERE DYING AND ALL HE CAN DO IS STARE. > > > > TELL MY BROTHER NOT TO CRY MOM, TELL DADDY TO BE BRAVE. > > AND WHEN I GO TO HEAVEN, MOM, PUT DADDY'S GIRL ON MY GRAVE. > > SOMEONE SHOUYLD HAVE TOLD HIM, MOM, NOT TO DRINK AND DRIVE. > > IF ONLY THEY HAD TOLD HIM, MOM, I WOULD STILL BE ALIVE. > > > > MY BREATH IS GETTING SHORTER, MOM. I'M BECOMING VERY SCARED. > > PLEASE DON'T CRY FOR ME, MOM, WHEN I NEEDED YOU, YOU WERE ALWAYS > >THERE. > > I HAVE ONE LAST QUESTION, MOM, BEFORE I SAY GOODBYE. > > I DIDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE, MOM, SO WHY AM I THE ONE TO DIE? > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-91 *****************************