Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-92 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 92 Wednesday, 2 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem TMBG: Poem Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: NONTMBG- QUOTERS READ!!!!!! TMBG: Tradez vous? TMBG: TMBG Windows 95 Theme TMBG: non tmbg: wonderstuff music TMBG: that STUPID poem and cost of Tickets TMBG: Interest in Video Bootleg 2.5? Re: TMBG: guitar was the theme TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-91 TMBG: Newbie here.... TMBG: NONTMBGTraxtudio Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? Re: TMBG: that STUPID poem and cost of Tickets TMBG: Then TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! Re: TMBG: Then Re: TMBG: Then TMBG: Then NON-TMBG: P3 player TMBG: TMBG in Tv Guide Re: TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! TMBG: Calm As Salad Re: NON-TMBG: P3 player TMBG: Inspector Gadget TMBG: Request for Interview Questions TMBG: please read TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: Bye for now!! TMBG: OMLT tra la la Re: non-TMBG: ska TMBG: New zine of TMBG interest TMBG: Then in LA TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety next Tuesday TMBG: TMBG Quotes TMBG: Two out of 25 million prefer Then:TEY Re: TMBG: Calm As Salad NonTMBG: April 8th TMBG: The 18+ dilemma Re: TMBG: Request for Interview Questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:09:55 -0500 (EST) From: Kelly Anne Mazzonne Subject: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem Message-ID: I agree with Evan. Even though I think that the poem does not belong getting forwarded to this mailing list, I happen to really like the poem, and it does have a lot of meaning to some people. I am just giving my opinions....you are entitled to your own, and these are mine... Kelly (the she without the extra "e") _______________________________________________________________________________ "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstien Kelly Mazzonne kmazzonn@umich.edu 1.313.764.4984 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kmazzonn/ _______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Poem Message-ID: <19970401.022009.4966.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 02:20:13 EST Sorry Tom, I didn't know you hadn't written the poem. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:43:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401024338_-1971727289@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem i dunno, it sounded to me like it was written by a 12 year old or something.. it was obviously lacking in a lot of areas, but hey, whoever wrote it meant well.. that's all that matters.. no, i don't know why i'm adding to a really pointless thread, sorry -levi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3340EBFC.5B12@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 03:05:32 -0800 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: NON TMBG: That drunk driving poem > MY LIFE JUST BURST LIKE A BALLOON. Hey, all you guys out there who think this is a crappy poem, look at the silmile. Anything that uses similies cant suck. Kevin "hoping you can detect the sarcsm" McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199704010815.DAA06171@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 07:05:14 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: NONTMBG- QUOTERS READ!!!!!! Message-ID: Ahem. Here's a message to all you people who quote other messages in your quotes: Please, please, STOP quoting the entire frickin' message in your reply!!! You're driving us digesters (or at least me) NUTS, cause you can't delete messages that you're not interested in reading. I really couldn't give a rats patoot about a parody of the dying kid who was hit by a drunk driver poem. And I CERTAINLY didn't want to read it -3- times. You can always just pput out a nice, teenty little message saying, Hey, I've got aparody of that drunk driver poem. Email me if you want it. Then you won't have people posting replies that quote the entire message -and- going into a discourse about how wrong this parody is. The original's got its own merits. The parody might appeal to people that think the original's a piece of schlock. Neither belong here, and I'm really irritated that the posting of this got me po'd enough to send a scathing letter to the list. Stop it. Please. To the listers: I apologize for the non-tmbgness of this post. I will add a touch of TMBGness and say that I got then, and I LOVE THe intros. They are GREAT! I am getting a mushing friend addicted to TMBG by means of sending a tape, and those were just perfect to start out the sides with. :) Beth PS If anyone else posts replies to that letter after this letter hits the list, I'm going to hunt you down and sic my cat on you. :) -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:16:38 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: TMBG: Tradez vous? Message-ID: If anyone's interested in trading, I have a CD single (promo only) of TMBG's S-E-X-X-Y (prcd 9637-2)- it has the radio mix (3:19) and the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (7:52) it's a pretty cool collectible- it just has the Elektra art on the back, with all the TMBG info. The CD itself is pink with yellow lettering. I'm looking to trade for any decent quality TMBG recent show- (feb-NYC?). Thanks! skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:50:09 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Windows 95 Theme Message-ID: I had a problem with both of the Windows 95 TMBG themes, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. When I tried to unzip it, quite a few of the .wav files had the same first 18 or so letters of their names, and so the system recognized them all as the same file, asking me if I wanted to overwrite the previous one. Of course, I didn't, but how would I fix this? If I could rezip the file and change the names, I would, but that would mean I would have the original files, so I wouldn't have a problem... :) RS ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: non tmbg: wonderstuff music Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 07:34:00 P Message-Id: <33412BDD@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> i was wondering if anybody knew of a place on the web where i could get my hands on some guitar musci for the wonderstuff. i tried using one of those search engines, but we all know how useless they usually are. so if anyone knows of such a page, please tell! brenden - nednerb AKA - The Hypnotist Of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704011542.AA18998@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:26:25 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: that STUPID poem and cost of Tickets ARGH!!! First of all, even the slightly humorous (but mostly boring) parody poem should never have been sent to the list but you felt the need to repeat the original and take up that much space again? And then someone defending the poem feels they need to repeat every line of both poems again? And then defending the parody, both poems get repeated again?? Please try to edit posts and don't send such *entirely in every way* unrelated posts to the list. It is one thing to discuss other similar interests other than tmbg, but stupid poems and parodies of them just don't belong here. >> Uhhh, suddenly, 20 smackers seems like a lot to pay for any show, even TMBG. Not that >>there's anything anyone can do about that. >There is, but it ain't pretty. Don't go. I too have had to pay almost >that much to see Them. Sadly enough as long as throngs of people line up >to pay $30 to see Jewel, $30 will be the price. By the way, Ben Folds >Five tickets for the show here in Houston are going for $1.07. I'd pay at least $30 to go to a tmbg show, and I'd pay it because I enjoy tmbg shows that much. I don't see why $20 is such an outrageous price, tmbg shows are well well worth it. Even though I'd far prefer paying only $10 or so, there's no reason why I won't pay more for my favorite band, they're worth it. And yes, if tmbg isn't worth $20 to you don't go...that's a decision you have to make every single time you buy something, it's no different for things like this, when there's plenty of demand at a price, it's not gonna drop. And as long as tmbg are the popular band they are today, that's gonna be about the price you'll pay. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Interest in Video Bootleg 2.5? Message-ID: <19970401.071309.4671.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:03:18 EST Hi, Some of you may know me as that guy with a lot of bootlegs. Check out my page below and judge for yourself. Recently I've given some thought as to share some of my video bootlegs. Actual amateur videos, not TV appearances. It would be tentatively titled "Video Bootleg 2.5" I try to avoid #3 as it might offend Russ. I would be more than happy to compile something like this, in 2 hour SP format. However, Problem #1 - I have neither the time nor the motivation to distribute this myself, so I need someone to help me distribute the tapes. I did something similiar for BNL fans awhile back, and it worked really well. Something like 80 tapes were made. Problem #2 - I need someone to distribute tapes. Incentives, you ask? Besides trading for blanks and postage or whatever (It's up to you) you will probably get offers of trades for other bootleg tapes. E-mail me if you're interested in helping. Larry "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:54:49 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: guitar was the theme Message-ID: dammit! I was planning to use that song for the movie im filming this summer, "While Galloping His Pony Size, The Father of the Roman Ox With the Tan Face Lost Many Cows and Your Ox, But the Long Handled Hammer Is Still Usually A Woman." (yes, im serious) shoehorn with teeth mike > and I knew it would be vetoed. So, cleverly, I remembered that Guitar > Was The Case always reminds me of a TV detective show theme. So I > brought the CD, not telling my "Mono What? Huh?" friends that it was > even remotely TMBG connected. And guess what. They thought Guitar Was > The Case(I refuse to use an acronym) so cool that it's now the opening > theme to our movie. Which, by the way, contains a friend of mine dressed > as a rapper and dancing, many Inspector Gadget references, and overuse > of the french word for "bunghole". Now that's quality entertainment. > > -- > "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our > wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton > > Who's the cat who won't cop out when there's danger about? > > (girl backup singers) Jonah! > > Damn right! > ------------------------------ From: Shriek200@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:50:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401115016_-1938140812@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-91 hi. i'm not sure really how this works. i've been subscribing to this list for a long, long time, but i never talked to it (??) anyway, what i wanna know is, in "i should be allowed to think," he says, -i should be allowed to glue my poster- does that have any reference to those annoying posters on the walls of buildings which state, "post no bills?!" i don't know, it's just what comes to mind when my man linnell says that. oh well. tell me what you think. i promise i'll write more often. yvonne craig ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan College of NJ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:13:56 EST Subject: TMBG: Newbie here.... Message-ID: <1A3945A19D5@elan.rowan.edu> Hey all. I'm a huge TMBG fan, and I've followed Them on the web for awhile now, but remarkably I only managed to stumble upon this mailing list today! Anyway, I have a quick question. A few months ago I placed an order to the Fan Club for the "Why Does the Sun Shine?" EP. To my shock and dismay, it is out of stock! Is it out of print? Is there anywhere I CAN find it? Thanks.... -Jerry "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -Salvador Dali ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:18:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401121617_-1604137103@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NONTMBGTraxtudio Whoever said that they are using TRAXTUDIO to play MP3s, where did you get it? I tried every searchengine I could think of and I found nothing! joel PS Reply to me only so we can spare the list ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:20:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401121913_637841526@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Did I talk to John's brother? In a message dated 97-03-31 20:14:48 EST, you write: << So i'm thinking that it was a) John's brother b) Some guy pertending to be his brother C) Maybe, just Maybe John pertending to be his own brother >> What brother did he say he was? Flans or Lin? I impersonate Linnell on my AOL profile (don't kill me) and everyday people ask me if I am really him. I have fun trying to make them believe me. (no flames please) I have convinced many people, so I know it wouldn't be too hard for him to impersonate his brother. The trick is to ask him some questions (hard ones). Plus, I doubt their parents would name both "John". I doubt it's him then. Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 1 Apr 97 12:47 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: that STUPID poem and cost of Tickets >I'd pay at least $30 to go to a tmbg show, and I'd pay it because I enjoy >tmbg shows that much. Yeesh. Well, I paid $32 to see Them open for Hootie. It hurt, but not as much as not seeing them would've. ;) Besides, they played for about 35 minutes or so, so I figure I paid about a dollar a minute, which isn't so bad, I guess... Of course, if someone had bothered to tell me about the instore on the same day, I would've been twice as happy! >:( (I'm still rather bitter about missing that..) ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3341708D.6E51@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 12:31:09 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Then What's up with Then? Did They redo all of the songs, or just remaster them? Oh yeah, and I think i may have found Linny's email, but out of privacy I'm not gonna say. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970401212134.0071440c@mail.vt.edu> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:21:34 -0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! >>>By now you have probably read the poem about drunk driving. No, by now not only have I read the poem thirty thousand million times, not only is it taking up huge chunks of hard drive space, not only is it responsible for HALF OF THE LAST DIGEST, it is severely pissing me off. I am a nice person, but I have been goaded. Here is my message to the world: IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO A MESSAGE, DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE THING AND APPEND IT TO YOUR OWN!!! I won't even mention the irrelevance of the poem to this list. Thank you for you time. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "He's an addict and that's a fact, but at least he's not smoking crack..." * -Dance Hall Crashers, "Java Junkie" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:44:16 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Then Message-ID: On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, vlad_drakul wrote: > What's up with Then? Did They redo all of the songs, or just remaster > them? they just remastered them...though some people claim that they can't hear it. maybe its a confidence trick...but i think that I hear the difference. maybe its all a counterfit fake (kill, kill, kill, kill, kill me now). > Oh yeah, and I think i may have found Linny's email, but out of privacy > I'm not gonna say. bully for you. love olivia ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:06:53 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: Re: TMBG: Then Message-ID: > Oh yeah, and I think i may have found Linny's email, but out of privacy > I'm not gonna say. > That is way too cruel to even be an April Fool's joke. Posts like this one should be banned :) Jeez! Elitza ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33418B3F.65CB@mixcom.com> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:25:04 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Organization: This Robot Thing of Ours Subject: TMBG: Then maybe its a confidence trick This is very possible, my friend got it the day it came out, the next day I asked him if he liked it he said "yeah, it's TMBG how could I not?" I asked if the remastering made a diffrence and he said "huh, what are you talking about?" I explained and he said he'd check to see if he could notice it. The next day he said it made a BIG diffrence, but only after he was listening for it, so is it Subliminal, like you gotta want to hear it, or is it just unnoticible until you listen for it? -- Merendino Cortese TheDon@pulp-fiction.com--www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/3072/ Merendino@thepentagon.com merendino@geocities.com mattm@mixcom.com 25 Hours a day--6 Days a week --- " If the shoe fits... " (Tastey Cement Services) --- ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:41:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401173756_1485580129@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: P3 player I probably should have payed more attention when the MP3's were as popular as the cards, but, where can I get a good MP3 player... I found 2 on AOL that play the first 20 sec. of the file.... NOT what I was looking for... Thanks for the help Too Lazy and as a result, .sigless Tim or Tim "why is every body copying Lefel's sig" Murphy ------------------------------ From: Hb357@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:28:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401152737_546402918@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Tv Guide Just in case there was any doubt that TMBG was going to be on Viva Variety, this week's TV guide lists Them as well as Ben Stiller as guests next Tuesday (April 8th) at 10:00. Peace out, Hank ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:19:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401181655_311005319@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! hm. well, there *is* a little thing called the scrollbar that allows one to move on past sections of a digest that they wish not to read :D.. i've found quite funny the fact that twice as much space has been spent yelling at the people talking about the poem than was actually wasted in the original poem messages.. ah well, i suppose this kind of logic is just beyond me.. -levi "have anymore poems?" adams ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 19:10:28 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Calm As Salad Message-Id: Okie doakie. I'm over my initial anger and I know will speak about this calmly on one condition. If after I make this announcement, any person who is going to the concert celebrates or mentions this again on the list, I swear I'll mailbomb the hell out of them. This isn't a threat, I just want you to know That I can and I will. Okay, I was going to go to the show at the Avalon, but I can't because it's 18+ , now the announcement. The show is going to be a THEN show. Yes, a THEN show. Just like the 2/21 irving plaza show, except for one thing. The F***ing Velcro Horns are going to be there. If you don't believe me, go to TMBG.com. That's all Also, Is that Flans' handwriting on the setlist in the liner notes of then? If it is my setlist just got a lot cooler. ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" -Servo "Here comes the Circus" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704020020.SAA13342@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: P3 player Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:11:45 -0600 > I probably should have payed more attention when the MP3's were as popular as > the cards, but, where can I get a good MP3 player... I found 2 on AOL that > play the first 20 sec. of the file.... NOT what I was looking for... > Thanks for the help > Hey.. These giant trolls outside my window keep screaming this in reverse alphabetic code.. I finally figured it out with the help of a bajillion listies... RegistrationName=WINPLAY REG RegistrationCode=100011-301000-5000 ..and since these trolls have been known to put things like that up on the web, I truly doubt that I can get in trouble for relaying their evil message.. and even if I do, I don't care anymore. If I had any Malibu Stacey accessories, they'd be given away quicker than you can say Early Edition. uhm.. and I may have invertantly quoted this whole message. Damn, Damn, Damnnity Damn. (slaps wrists) > Too Lazy and as a result, .sigless Tim > or > Tim "why is every body copying Lefel's sig" Murphy Mike "Because I Kick Ass" Leffel :) (*thanks to Celestia) EVERYONES A SUPERHERO--- EVERYONE'S A CAPTAIN KIRK ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:29:29 -0500 Message-Id: <199704020029.TAA21394@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: Inspector Gadget >>what if They were to do (cover) Inspector Gadget (the theme song)? >> >>would that be cool, or what! >ugh no, every other ska band does a cover of the Inspector Gadget, i don't >think i could stand another cover of it, even if it was They doing it... >Trippy They are orignial. They are cutting-edge. They are eclectic. They are the best band in the world. They are NOT, however, ska, by any stretch of the imagination. (Tip: a trumpet in a band does not constitute a ska band.) The Bosstones, old No Doubt, some Rancid... that's ska. Ska is a caribbean mixture of soul and calypso, usually integrated into a punk or pop hybrid (according to the Bosstones anyway, who are a ska/hardcore hybrid). Just thought I'd help clear this up! Kris "Youth Culture Killed My Dog" Maxwell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:34:55 -0500 Message-Id: <199704020034.TAA23165@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu (The Denominator) Subject: TMBG: Request for Interview Questions Howdy fellow Giantists, I am trying desperately to get an interview with the illustrious Johns, and if all goes well, I will be speaking with them sometime this month. I am probably going to completely freeze up and turn into Mega Freaked Fan Boy, and completely make an idiot of myself when I'm talking to them. ("Omigod, I'm talking to THE Giants! i think i just wet myself, you're so cool!"). Anyway, to help prevent this disaster, i would like to have some good questions to focus my enthusiasm through, and i want to get your input as to what fans want to know. I know what *I* want to know, but we are nothing if not a diverse group, so lemme know what kinds of things I should ask. Keep in mind that this is for a college newspaper, and that it should have at least a little to do with stylistic/content/history of the band and its music. Personal details are fun, but other kinds of questions would be great! kris "becoming a robot" maxwell p.s. please respond thru e-mail, i can never keep up with this list! @:) ------------------------------ From: JKlumpp97@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:42:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401204100_110406632@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: please read Hi TMBGers, this is cortney. A close family member of mine passed away - I wasn't at school at all last week and I won't be back for at least this entire week as well. I have been unable to check any of my mail and I have not been able to keep up with the list. I am writing this message because I wanted to let everyone know that, if I owe you tapes, I will definitely still be getting them out to you. I'm really sorry about any inconveniences or delays, I just haven't had the opportunity to send alot of them out yet. Also, I talked to several people about attending some of the upcoming TMBG shows - I don't think that I will currently be making it to any of these shows (with the possible exception of the St. Joe's show on the 24th). Again, I'm sorrry about any problems -if you have any questions, please write to me at my regular school email address: ck8@tiger.uofs.edu Please DO NOT WRITE TO ME at this address - it's my dad's account which he uses for business, I can't receive personal mail here! Thanks bunches, I hope to talk to everyone soon, have a They day sun and smiles cortney ck8@tiger.uofs.edu http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:20:58 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk Message-ID: Bill J. Michalski wrote: > I was at a friend's house the other day, and on her coffee table was > a book that had all of the Postal Service's unique stamps from 1995. In > this book was a sanzzy stamp honoring none other than James K. Polk. > Besides being a snappy stamp, there was also a mini-history of Jimmy > Polk which read in a startlingly similar fashion to the song we all know > and love. For example, it mentioned his four achieved goals that we are > all too familiar with. > Are there any stamp collectors out there who know if one could still > get these stamps?? Thank ya. Well, I don't know if I'm what you would call a stamp collector, but I bought some of those JKP stamps as recently as 2 months ago. They're great. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 13:15:49 +1000 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Bye for now!! Well, the pressures of work have got to me, and with a couple of field trips around Australia I'm having to leave the list. Thanks all for your contributions - it all really added to last Thursdays concert to being one of the best days of my life! Cheers and Beers Nicka PS Feel free to email me though! It's always nice to get some mail... ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:15:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401221510_1552727593@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT tra la la Yikes. Our power went off twice last night and our neighbor's tree crashed down an inch away from their house! Snow on April 1... Mother Nature's bitchy little April Fool's joke. Thundercats on CN? Yes! Woo hoo! Man, I *worshipped* Lion-o when I was little. Sorry. This is really just another urbane OMLT post. Want one? Mail me, christy@tmbg.org: --Number, *****SIZE***** of shirts wanted... hint hint --mailing address and name --e-mail address --shameless flattery (I can never get enough) For newcomers, OMLT=Official Mailing List T-shirt. You need one. They will cost about 9-10 dollars as of now. Price may change due to small number of orders, but I don't know yet, so don't bug me about it. Please, people, stop asking me about shipping costs and when to send me money! I will tell you all when it is time! I promise! --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:31:56 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: ska Message-ID: > They are orignial. They are cutting-edge. They are eclectic. They are the > best band in the world. They are NOT, however, ska, by any stretch of the > imagination. > (Tip: a trumpet in a band does not constitute a ska band.) The Bosstones, > old No Doubt, some Rancid... that's ska. Ska is a caribbean mixture of soul > and calypso, usually integrated into a punk or pop hybrid (according to the > Bosstones anyway, who are a ska/hardcore hybrid). I agree that They are not a ska band. I'll have to disagree about your "examples", though. The Bosstones have some ska influence, but on several albums (or at least most of "Question the Answers" and "Don't Know How to Party") they are closer to metal with horns. And Rancid...they're punk. But they're Operation Ivy-style punk (if I'm not mistaken, one of they guys from Rancid used to be in Op Ivy), meaning that they have some ska influence as well. And I'm not even going to talk about No Doubt...they may have been ska at some point, but basically there's a phrase for them if they were ska. It's called "selling out." If you want real, unadulterated ska, there are three eras. 60's ska, which is VERY ska-emphasized. Two-tone....same deal. And the third wave, which we are currently in. Most third wave ska bands are a hybrid at this point, most times (unfortunately) hybridized with punk. But for real basic ska bands that are still around....go with the Toasters (THE ska band), Hepcat, the Scofflaws, and the Skatalites. There are many others...you just have to look. And no matter what MTV says....they don't know what ska is. Okay, I'm stepping down from my soapbox. I hope you all were enlightened. See ya. bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Ska music, reggae, it's a brand new beat...." --Toasters, "Two-tone Army" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:10:30 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: TMBG: New zine of TMBG interest Message-ID: I've just found out about a new zine that might be of interest to TMBG fans. I do not write for it nor do I have anything to do with it, no, the webzine I write for is www.journalx.com (check it out, shameless plug, it's real cool and I write a new short story every week for it). This new zine I want to tell you about is called BACKSPACE and is printed on real paper. The first issue, available now, features an interview with TMBG producer Pat Dillett, and his thoughts on Then: The Earlier Years. The second issue will contain interviews with not only Kurt Hoffman but also the ever-reclusive and most certainly legendary Bill Krauss. The zines will also contain record reviews and other articles of interest. But I think the Dillett-Krauss interviews make it all the more worth while. It's cheap to get this zine mailed to you and you can find out how to do that by emailing Backspace Media at backspace@as-if.com. I have already reserved my copy. Just thought you might all like to know this. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 02 Apr 1997 14:18:03 +1000 Message-ID: <000C981A.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Then in LA Hey all, For those of you TMBG fans in the city of angels, Tower Records in Pasadena has T:TEY on sale for $19.99 (I'm getting it sent from there to Australia... I love it when people are nice to me and send me things... woo hoo :) Andrew Callaghan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3341D1C3.555D@one.net> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 22:25:55 -0500 From: David Hensley Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety next Tuesday They're on next Tuesday at 10 PM...April 8th. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970401234409.007cfcf0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 23:44:09 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: TMBG Quotes hey, this goes out to someone with way too much time on their hands (this could be a monumental task along the lines of compiling a fake card database, or coming up with an acronym list...) find all the quotes you can from John And John. I mean funny concert banter. not just interviews, make a list, it will make us laugh, we can show it to the Johns and they will think we're nuts. thank you and good night -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:59:36 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970402000400.36ff8378@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Two out of 25 million prefer Then:TEY Hi I was downtown today, and I decided to step into some of the larger record stores to find out if anyone knows when Then was going to be released here in the frozen wastelands of Canada. The people in Sam The Record Man gave me the typical "huh?" look when I said "They Might Be Giants", and told me they had no idea what I was talking about. No surprise there. HMV was a similar, but more interesting story. After repeating the band's name three or four times, along with hand gesutres and some semaphore, the cashier finally clued in and started flipping through her list of release dates. When I told her what the box set was called, the second cashier, who was talking on the phone, got a look of amazement on her face. Apparently, the person she was talking to was asking for exactly the same item. Coincidence? Well...yes, probably. Sadly, despite the obvious booming demand for Then, I was told that there was no release date listed before June, so it's really anybody's guess when and if it will be released in Canada. Alex ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:00:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970401235837_-1570494453@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Calm As Salad i've always had problems like this with the 18+ thing : \ i *do* look 18 :P ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:15:19 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402001519_311048158@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: NonTMBG: April 8th Ok, April 8th is now the coolest day in the history of the world! (part 1). Repeat after me: TMBG on Viva Variety! New Fangoria! MST3K: The Movie! and...(drumroll) My birthday! Thank you, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704020528.XAA19679@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: The 18+ dilemma Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:19:36 -0600 And here I am, well over eighteen, and I will never ever ever never see They Might Be Giants. Why, do you ask? I laugh maniacally and fall over in my own vomit. Mike "The Universe Hates me" Leffel A Sad Pun That Reflects A Sadder Mess. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:36:24 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Request for Interview Questions Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Apr-97 TMBG: Request for Interview.. by The Denominator@utulsa.e > nothing if not a diverse group, so lemme know what kinds of things I should > ask. Keep in mind that this is for a college newspaper, and that it should What's that blue thing doing here? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-92 *****************************