Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-93 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 93 Thursday, 3 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! TMBG: poetry Re: TMBG: OMLTs... please read Re: TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. NON-TMBG:OOPS, and sorry TMBG: waste of space, Viva Variety, USAtoday, Summer Tour TMBG: Then:TEY in Canada TMBG: TMBG.COM Questions.... Re: TMBG: waste of space, Viva Variety, USAtoday, Summer Tour TMBG: Re: TMBG Quotes Re: TMBG: Calm As Salad TMBG: Interview w/ Flans TMBG: #3-92 TMBG: site problems? TMBG: WOW! Re: NonTMBG: April 8th Re: NON-TMBG: P3 player TMBG: popping my head back in TMBG: Purdue show, this MP3 business... TMBG: TMBG & Non- if i can remember Re: TMBG: site problems? Re: NonTMBG: April 8th TMBG: TMBG on AOL news Re: TMBG: popping my head back Re: TMBG: popping my head back in TMBG: Razor Burn....etc. TMBG: oh the stupidity! TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. TMBG: TMBG in Japan TMBG: FS Sessions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 08:32:07 -0600 (MDT) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: DIE, POETS, DIE!!! Message-Id: I will make this as short as possible...*CLAP**Appluad*...why complain so much...we all love TMBG and that is the important thing...geeze if you were on as many liservs as I am with work etc, you would accept the fact that people sometimes forget to not forward everthing, and that griping usually does little to help and more to harm making people bitter...the original poem was sent to be shared, as was the second...didn't we all learn to share what we found important in Kindergarden? -Joyce Joyce Frost the stuggling poetess who finds poetry in stuggling... "Roland said politely to Valerie, 'If I may say a word." He turned to the others. 'These students are here to examine us at my invitation. They are concerned for our health and mean well. Please do not kill or maim them without speaking to me first.'" -Roland (a griffin) ["The Healing of Crossroads" by Nick O'Donohoe] pg. 173 On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 LeviAdams@aol.com wrote: > hm. well, there *is* a little thing called the scrollbar that allows one to > move on past sections of a digest that they wish not to read :D.. i've found > quite funny the fact that twice as much space has been spent yelling at the > people talking about the poem than was actually wasted in the original poem > messages.. ah well, i suppose this kind of logic is just beyond me.. > > -levi "have anymore poems?" adams > ------------------------------ From: "Sandra Veldhuizen" <15876@foo.hva.nl> Organization: Hogeschool van Amsterdam, FOO Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:24:02 GMT+0100 Subject: TMBG: poetry Message-ID: <6675D788F@foobee.foo.hva.nl> "Klein vogeltje zwierezwaait hoog in de lucht en laat er zijn fluitertje schallen een vleugeltje links en een vleugeltje rechts om niet op zijn bekje te vallen" This is a poem for everybody who likes to annoy everybody else by writing enormous messages about how much poetry annoys them. What has this got to do with They Might Be Giants? Well, because I live in the Netherlands I have only been to a TMBG-concert twice in my whole life. This is a sad thing. The only thing that keeps me going, is the fact that I am able to read wonderfully beautiful funny and sweet poems in Dutch, AND YOU CAN'T! AKA mrs. Horrible P.S. Pardon my French ( It's even worse than my English). ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLTs... please read Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:35:44 -0600 Message-ID: <19970402133541539.AAB309@ppp169.baraboo.com> >If you feel like making a last-ditch effort to save the current OMLT price, >send mail to christy@tmbg.org and include: >--Number, size of shirts wanted >--Name and address for shipping >--E-mail address used most Umm, well.. i could count as an order, but i probably cant pay on time, as i already said. If you want to order one and i'll pay you like 2 - 4 weeks late, go ahead and order: 1 XL OMLT Wyatt Glodell, 1023 East St. Baraboo, WI 53913 wglodell@baraboo.com is this past the deadline?? hmmm... sorry if it is, but i havn't read my mail and am just catching up. -Wyatt ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet Another MP3 Question.. Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:35:42 -0600 Message-ID: <19970402133541539.AAA309@ppp169.baraboo.com> At 03:16 PM 3/31/97 -0600, Mike Leffel wrote: > > >Okay... to those who are preaching the goodness >of MP3's... Are you using players that have no >time limit? Have you all found 'cracks'? Or did you >all register you players???? Help!! > >I *finally* got some MP3's, and I FINALLY found >a player that didn't crash when played... but it's >WinPlay 3 and it's only fancy is to play >2o second selections in it's unregistered mode... > >I hope nobody who knows how to get around this >would kindly help me out, because that would be >wrong. Wrong. Do you hear me? > >Mike "Music For Free Is Music For Me!" Leffel > this is probably too late, and someone probably gave you this already, oh well: Yeah, i had the same problem, and i DID NOT find this registration number that DEFINATELY DOESNT WORK to let it play more than 20 seconds. RegistrationName=WINPLAY REG RegistrationCode=100011-301000-5000 see, thats EXACTLY what i DID NOT get, and it will DEFINATELY NOT work to register i t, so enjoy :). -Wyatt "how do you use winplay 3's playlists???" Glodell ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: NON-TMBG:OOPS, and sorry Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:49:39 -0600 Message-ID: <19970402134938202.AAA81@ppp169.baraboo.com> Those last two messages were not supposed to go to the list.... oops. I forgot and left REPLY-ALL on (in my version of eudora, it is an option) and i forgot to delete tmbg-list from the To: header..... hehheh. oops. -Wyatt "another pointless post, sorry again" Glodell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704021403.AA02465@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 08:47:12 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: waste of space, Viva Variety, USAtoday, Summer Tour >hm. well, there *is* a little thing called the scrollbar that allows one to >move on past sections of a digest that they wish not to read :D.. i've found >quite funny the fact that twice as much space has been spent yelling at the >people talking about the poem than was actually wasted in the original poem >messages.. ah well, i suppose this kind of logic is just beyond me.. The original poem messages wasted a *TON* of space, I highly doubt the complaints have added up to that amount. Also, at least a few of the complaints have made attempts to be tmbg-related (such as mine and a couple others I saw). On top of that it *is* important to the list that we try to explain to ppl not to quote entire messages and printing long entirely unrelated poems. Because of this the complaints *are* list-related, which is important even though it isn't specifically tmbg-related. Also, if there wasn't an immediate backlash whenever someone sends something huge and stupid to the list, it would probably escelate into much more wasted space than if there was. TMBG I may have missed this part when ppl were originally discussing Viva Variety, but what exactly is it? When is it on, what network, etc? I'd really like to see it if it's available around here, but I've just never heard of it before. Oh, THEN: TEY was reviewed in the life section of yesterday's USA today paper (a thousand ppl have prolly already mentioned this and since I'm on the digest I'm now making a fool of myself, but oh well!). Although they did give the album 3 1/2 stars out of 4, they also mentioned the words 'humor' and that little annoying one that starts with a 'q.' There was also that nice linnell/accordian and flans/guitar pic that was on tmbg.org for a long time (perhaps it still is). Not only that but in the same issue they review the new BFF album, but only give it 3 stars... Finally, does anyone know if tmbg are going to be touring throughout the summer, or if they'll be stopping to take a break and record 'thing'? I really want to see them this summer and if they're anywhere aroudn new england I'm going to make a couple long trips to see them a couple of times if they're only touring... Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:46:58 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Then:TEY in Canada Message-ID: Don't let the subject fool you, I haven't been able to find it either, but I did get some comprehension at Dr Disc. They had it (the old February date) listed in their upcoming releases on their newsletter, or whatever. I've ordered a copy from there, and I keep ckecking back at the store, and the guy keeps saying he's surprised it hasn't showed up yet. The last thing he said is that he thinks it'll be there by Friday. This other chick at the store always gives me the same spiel about how only BIG bands like U2 actually get their stuff out in the stores on the day that it's supposed to be released! From what I've read on this list the situation is different, South of the border! At HMV, they looked at me like I was crazy. BTW, I've had the same trouble trying to find the new Bobby McFerrin album that was supposed to be out yesterday. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970402121339.007cccb0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 12:13:39 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: TMBG.COM Questions.... I was wondering, the EP MP3 files on ftp.tmbg.com are in the incoming directory, are they "Official" or did someone upload them just for the hell of it? And as some may have noticed, there are several new songs in the DAS wavs directory, what is the point of putting unreleased songs on the internet? (Don't get me wrong, I like it...) But, wouldn't it be better for THEM to put out another album more quickly, rather than put unreleased songs on the web page? (And, another thing, what's the point of Official DAS Online, the point of the original DAS was to get the word out, and they advertised it, but the only people who know about DAS online are people like us, and those who visit tmbg.com) well. um... yeah. -ec ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: waste of space, Viva Variety, USAtoday, Summer Tour Message-ID: <19970402.140548.4446.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 14:05:11 EST >Finally, does anyone know if tmbg are going to be touring throughout >the >summer, or if they'll be stopping to take a break and record 'thing'? What's "thing"? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:30:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402143043_-1068180035@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Quotes Here's one of John F. right after he royally messed up the guitar intro to The Statue at a live show (I have no idea which one...) "I was trying something daring on that last song, and I completely wiped out, I don't know if you caught it... [laughter from audience] I thought I was gonna really express myself as a rock guitarist, but I completely, once again... my muse has let me down..." Feel free to chop that quote into little bits to make it funnier or more insightful or speculative or metaphysical or whatever. -Hello! From Geoff "I can't think of an aka to save my life" Sondergard aka Kamesennin@aol.com (Hey, I just thought of one!) P.S. Then is great, but I don't really notice and remastering... What songs are you guys picking out that sound a lot different than the previous versions? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:28:04 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Calm As Salad Message-ID: They NEVER check youre ID unless youre going to drink....chance it!! I would if I were you. Katie On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Big.Bad.Robbie.G. wrote: > > Okie doakie. I'm over my initial anger and I know will speak about this calmly > on one condition. If after I make this announcement, any person who is going to > the concert celebrates or mentions this again on the list, I swear I'll > mailbomb the hell out of them. This isn't a threat, I just want you to know > That I can and I will. > > > Okay, I was going to go to the show at the Avalon, but I can't because it's 18+ > , now the announcement. > > > The show is going to be a THEN show. Yes, a THEN show. Just like the 2/21 > irving plaza show, except for one thing. The F***ing Velcro Horns are going to > be there. If you don't believe me, go to TMBG.com. > > > That's all > > > > > Also, Is that Flans' handwriting on the setlist in the liner notes of then? If > it is my setlist just got a lot cooler. > ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ > | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | > | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | > |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| > "Oh, No, NO! They're doing it clown style!" > -Servo "Here comes the Circus" > > > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Interview w/ Flans Message-ID: <19970402.154000.4550.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 15:40:03 EST Hey everyone! Hope you enjoy this. My friend found it on aol. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself By JIM SULLIVAN .c 1997, The Boston Globe BPI (April 2) - John Flansburgh, the bespectacled guitar-playing half of the quirky pop duo They Might Be Giants, is on the phone from Down Under and he is asked how the earthy Australians are perceiving the nerdy New Yorkers. ''We're popularly misunderstood here,'' says Flansburgh, with good cheer. ''They're into unpretentious music in general - they like their rock straight, no chaser, and they somehow have mistaken us for an unpretentious band, and we don't have the nerve to tell them we're art-rockers. It's a very unneurotic culture. In some ways, imagine if California had turned out OK. There's a lot of the beach-culture thing, but it's pretty urban. And it's summer. We get to completely miss winter! We might be pretentious, but we're not stupid.'' No, they're not. Flansburgh and partner, accordionist-keyboardist John Linnell, have carved out a sizable cult following over the past decade as purveyors of catchy, multilayered pop with hits such as ''Birdhouse in Your Soul'' and ''S-E-X-X-Y.'' The duo has expanded the band over the course of the years and, in concert, it's now a septet. Sometimes. Here's what they're doing in an upcoming concert: ''We've supersized the show,'' says Flansburgh. (They Might Be Giants as fast food? For an extra 39 cents ... ) ''We're opening for ourselves. It's They Might Be Giants circa '89 opening for They Might Be Giants '97. We're doing this set of songs from back then, from 'Lincoln,' from the first album and obscure songs. First, we'll do the duo show, for 30-40 minutes, 14 songs. It's like leapfrogging backwards. I think in doing this we realized how much the (duo) format made us completely different than a regular rock band. That wasn't necessarily our intention. But it reminded us how much we were not a rock band for five years. Probably the only people who thought we were a rock band were onstage. (The duo format) started to feel like a puppet show.'' But here's where Flansburgh feels They Might Be Giants has an advantage over some groups with similar longevity. ''Because we've always done what we were interested in, we don't hate our careers. A lot of bands do things they're not quite interested in, and you see people be tortured by their early careers - the 'unrepresentative first single.' '' This tour coincides with the release of a double-CD compilation of early material on Restless Records, ''Then: The Earlier Years.'' They're signed to Elektra and plan to record a new album this summer; Flansburgh will release an album in the fall with his side band, Monopuff. Because TMBG often incorporates humor into its songs, the combo gets tagged with labels such as quirky and novelty. ''As I've gotten older,'' says Flansburgh, ''I've realized it's our cross to bear. It doesn't necessarily reflect on our intentions or is the sum total of what we do. But it's better not to become some contrarian rock guy - just protesting a very surface read of what you do. A lot of bands, all they do is demand they be taken seriously. We appear insignificant because we don't demand to be taken seriously, but it's my contention that rock music in general is not important. You might want to understand that the medium of your expression is trivial.'' Nevertheless, Flansburgh says, ''the pop song is such an incredibly interesting vehicle for ideas. It's really efficient, streamlined. It's this great compressed thought. You can achieve so much perfection within that medium. It's like haiku, its brevity is where its strength lies ... I think we communicate a lot of interesting ideas, and there's a lot to dive into. We're not a party band, not just a good-time band. We're interested in a lot of adult angst-filled issues, but how you present those ideas, it's part of our job to keep it interesting. It's not just about getting it off your chest. I feel like we're working within this self-serious medium in a more realistic way... Everybody in rock wants to be taken more seriously. It's kind of grim. I don't think this is what Chuck Berry or Little Richard wanted. I don't think this is our heritage: to be crying in the corner saying people don't understand me.'' But he says being misunderstood is the price they pay for being ambitious. ''We do a lot of different kinds of things. We do songs that are messed up and don't make immediate sense and we do some that are relatively straight ahead. We do character songs. We have a continuing love affair with arrangement, to take a normal idea and turn it inside out or take a lopsided idea and put it in a pristine setting to make it seem justified. I can't be surprised or complain that this strange, complicated art-rock band is misunderstood.'' APEX-04-02-97 0944EST --------- End forwarded message ---------- --------- End forwarded message ---------- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: #3-92 Message-ID: <19970402.162538.12470.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:26:19 EST sorry to post this soooo late in case of if any fool fell for this scheme.... If anyone's interested in trading, I have a CD single (promo only) of TMBG's S-E-X-X-Y (prcd 9637-2)- it has the radio mix (3:19) and the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (7:52) it's a pretty cool collectible- it just has the Elektra art on the back, with all the TMBG info. The CD itself is pink with yellow lettering. whoever posted that... you can get a copy of this at any Tower records store... yes, i know you're thinking that i'm thinking of the REAL S~E~X~X~Y single but you, my friend are mistaken.... it's been sitting at my local tower records store for quite some time and actually it's not worth a rat;s ass > Oh yeah, and I think i may have found Linny's email, but out of privacy > I'm not gonna say. > That is way too cruel to even be an April Fool's joke. Posts like this one should be banned :) okay, if that is an april fools day joke i'll have to harm whoever sent it!! let us kill them!!! you will burn like a snowball in hell... I am trying desperately to get an interview with the illustrious Johns, and if all goes well, I will be speaking with them sometime this month. how exactly do you plan on getting an interview with THem??? =) No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970402164156.006cb884@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 16:42:07 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: site problems? Has anyone else been having problems connecting to the official or unofficial sites today (4-2)? I haven't been able to get through all day. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." -They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: WOW! Message-ID: <19970402.193357.4366.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 19:33:54 EST I don't believe it. Besides me, knowbody's posted in over five hours! Don't mind me, just taking up space! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ From: EGODEATH7@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:49:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402204849_-1101686111@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NonTMBG: April 8th >>>>>Yes, you did see TMBG on the add for Viva Variety on Comedy Central, they >>are >> appearing (I think on April 8th..but i'm not exactly sure) >> >>meg After I wrote this I got a WRONG rude responce..sorry to say i told you so, but I was a little mad. >>>>>Subj: TMBG: Viva Variety Date: 97-03-22 21:27:13 EST From: SquirlHead@aol.com Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: SquirlHead@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org I figured by now everyone knew They are playing on Viva Variety on APRIL 1st! (some said the 8th. hee hee). We've announced this to death! WAKE UP!!!!!! Once again sorry and frustrated, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 16:58:30 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970402165239.3587d8c6@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: P3 player >> Tim "why is every body copying Lefel's sig" Murphy > >Mike "Because I Kick Ass" Leffel :) > >(*thanks to Celestia) Ha ha! Thankyou for the credit, Mike! (who does, in fact, kick ass). By the way mike, sorry i haven't written-my e-mail is pretty much restricted thanks to my parents sucking. i never got a response from you last time anyway :( why hast thou forsaken me? :) Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970403015226.006743a4@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:52:26 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: popping my head back in Well, I'm back from break and a lot busier than last 1/4, so I've rejoined in digest form. As for my spring break resolutions, 0 were accomplished. :( I did buy Then, but it was an early b-day present for my bro. Being the unemployed college man that I am, I couldn't afford a copy for me, but in time I shall acquire a copy. As for the singles, yeah right. Central Ohio must have an all-store boycott on They singles. And you ask someone on staff for help, usually some little high school twit (no offense to those on the list), and you get "The Gaze." You know, the one where they tilt their head down, look at you down their nose, and literally raise their eyebrows off their forehead as if to say "Yeah, like that's real music." Anywho, the job hunt has begun and I am learning 3 new programming languages this 1/4 (just a little sidebar for CS majors), so time is very precious. So I better go. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) 20 year old college MALE ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:46:32 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Purdue show, this MP3 business... Message-ID: Ok, there was this rumour running around that They were playing at Purdue at some festival or other, and that it might be free. A. What was that all about, B. Was it true? I know, Matt Coon, that you go to Purdue, do you have any info about this? What's going on? Where am I? Who are all of you people? Um...sorry... This MP3 stuff, what's that all about? Are these for PC's only? (Ecch...) What with all of this brouhaha about how wonderful they are, I would like to partake of the bounty, but I don't know what they are and don't know if I can use them. Help! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "You know, you can't make an omlet without breaking a few \\ eggs- That's evil for ya! -Charles, "The Tick" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334319DE.5BD3@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:45:50 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Non- if i can remember Listening to WDTSS? MIDI right now... Uh... I forgot what i was gonna say... But I DID FIND ANOTHER Gianthead who (get THIS) LIVES in the same podunk town (Bellingham, 50K pop.) in the same podunk state (Washington, that little one up in NW US)... and he goes to a high school that I would go to, but I'm going to another... Uh... what else? OH YEAh... I found a TMBG MSPLUS theme!!! It's at this address: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~shaggy1/Themes_5.htm Oh yeah... I was coming back from UT during winter break, and who did i see? A guy who looked EXACTLY like Flans!! FLANS!!! It probably was Flans, but I'm kicking myself for not building up the nerve to go up and say (very very nervously and blushing my head off) "um... eh heh... is your last name (by any chance) maybe Flansburgh??" and sitting there thinking until he finally said "No, sorry." Oh well, it was kinda a lose/lose situation anyway... he probably wouldn't have admitted it. Uh... i forgot what the non-TMBG message was (and I'll probably remember like 3 seconds after the messge is sent), and since none of us like non-tmbg messages on the TMBG mailing list, I'll just leave now... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:12:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402221158_-736467950@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: site problems? In a message dated 97-04-02 22:09:27 EST, ana.ng@tmbg.org (Nicole the Wonder Nerd) writes: << Has anyone else been having problems connecting to the official or unofficial sites today (4-2)? I haven't been able to get through all day. --nicole the wonder nerd >> I was in the tmbg.org master lyric section today and I downloaded sounds from Tmbg.com joel ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:17:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402221441_-1503663692@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NonTMBG: April 8th Nobody seems to be catching on: I'm a moron, ok. Besides people were posting left and right about how TMBG would be on April, and I wasn't the only one upset by these suposedly inane posts. Usually I'd say I'm sorry, but I've said that waaaayyy to much on this list. From now on, I lurk. Your Welcome Me ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:19:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402221932_774129054@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on AOL news This was on AOL today; forgive me if it's already been mentioned. I'm a week and 1/2 behind on my digests, with holiday, homework - and my dog having been put to sleep 2 days ago. :( But i digress... (so they use the "q" word..) __ By JIM SULLIVAN .c 1997, The Boston Globe BPI (April 2) - John Flansburgh, the bespectacled guitar-playing half of the quirky pop duo They Might Be Giants, is on the phone from Down Under and he is asked how the earthy Australians are perceiving the nerdy New Yorkers. ''We're popularly misunderstood here,'' says Flansburgh, with good cheer. ''They're into unpretentious music in general - they like their rock straight, no chaser, and they somehow have mistaken us for an unpretentious band, and we don't have the nerve to tell them we're art-rockers. It's a very unneurotic culture. In some ways, imagine if California had turned out OK. There's a lot of the beach-culture thing, but it's pretty urban. And it's summer. We get to completely miss winter! We might be pretentious, but we're not stupid.'' No, they're not. Flansburgh and partner, accordionist-keyboardist John Linnell, have carved out a sizable cult following over the past decade as purveyors of catchy, multilayered pop with hits such as ''Birdhouse in Your Soul'' and ''S-E-X-X-Y.'' The duo has expanded the band over the course of the years and, in concert, it's now a septet. Sometimes. Here's what they're doing in an upcoming concert: ''We've supersized the show,'' says Flansburgh. (They Might Be Giants as fast food? For an extra 39 cents ... ) ''We're opening for ourselves. It's They Might Be Giants circa '89 opening for They Might Be Giants '97. We're doing this set of songs from back then, from 'Lincoln,' from the first album and obscure songs. First, we'll do the duo show, for 30-40 minutes, 14 songs. It's like leapfrogging backwards. I think in doing this we realized how much the (duo) format made us completely different than a regular rock band. That wasn't necessarily our intention. But it reminded us how much we were not a rock band for five years. Probably the only people who thought we were a rock band were onstage. (The duo format) started to feel like a puppet show.'' But here's where Flansburgh feels They Might Be Giants has an advantage over some groups with similar longevity. ''Because we've always done what we were interested in, we don't hate our careers. A lot of bands do things they're not quite interested in, and you see people be tortured by their early careers - the 'unrepresentative first single.' '' This tour coincides with the release of a double-CD compilation of early material on Restless Records, ''Then: The Earlier Years.'' They're signed to Elektra and plan to record a new album this summer; Flansburgh will release an album in the fall with his side band, Monopuff. Because TMBG often incorporates humor into its songs, the combo gets tagged with labels such as quirky and novelty. ''As I've gotten older,'' says Flansburgh, ''I've realized it's our cross to bear. It doesn't necessarily reflect on our intentions or is the sum total of what we do. But it's better not to become some contrarian rock guy - just protesting a very surface read of what you do. A lot of bands, all they do is demand they be taken seriously. We appear insignificant because we don't demand to be taken seriously, but it's my contention that rock music in general is not important. You might want to understand that the medium of your expression is trivial.'' Nevertheless, Flansburgh says, ''the pop song is such an incredibly interesting vehicle for ideas. It's really efficient, streamlined. It's this great compressed thought. You can achieve so much perfection within that medium. It's like haiku, its brevity is where its strength lies ... I think we communicate a lot of interesting ideas, and there's a lot to dive into. We're not a party band, not just a good-time band. We're interested in a lot of adult angst-filled issues, but how you present those ideas, it's part of our job to keep it interesting. It's not just about getting it off your chest. I feel like we're working within this self-serious medium in a more realistic way... Everybody in rock wants to be taken more seriously. It's kind of grim. I don't think this is what Chuck Berry or Little Richard wanted. I don't think this is our heritage: to be crying in the corner saying people don't understand me.'' But he says being misunderstood is the price they pay for being ambitious. ''We do a lot of different kinds of things. We do songs that are messed up and don't make immediate sense and we do some that are relatively straight ahead. We do character songs. We have a continuing love affair with arrangement, to take a normal idea and turn it inside out or take a lopsided idea and put it in a pristine setting to make it seem justified. I can't be surprised or complain that this strange, complicated art-rock band is misunderstood.'' APEX-04-02-97 0944EST __ sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 23:01:35 -0500 (EST) From: Heather L Garver Subject: Re: TMBG: popping my head back Message-id: s for the > singles, yeah right. Central Ohio must have an all-store > boycott on They singles. And you ask someone on staff for > help, usually some little high school twit (no offense to > those on the list), and you get "The Gaze." You know, the one > where they tilt their head down, look at you down their nose, > and literally raise their eyebrows off their forehead as if to > say "Yeah, like that's real music." I know exactly what you mean, the only single I have found recently is SEXXY, which I of course already have, so things have become frustrating. I did however, get Then, I was in Detroit at the time, though. Went on a lovely tour of Cleveland, Niagra Falls, Toronto, Detroit, and Ft. Wayne, IN over break with the chorus here at UC. In ft wayne, we had a banquet, to celebrate the end of the tour (no pun intended), and I asked if the DJ had any TMBG, the response I got was this "what do you mean like particle man?" Oh well. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 23:11 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: popping my head back in And you ask someone on staff for >help, usually some little high school twit (no offense to >those on the list), and you get "The Gaze." You know, the one >where they tilt their head down, look at you down their nose, >and literally raise their eyebrows off their forehead as if to >say "Yeah, like that's real music." Which must be why I can't get a job there, despite being somewhat twittish. ;) Because I know about *real* music, darnit, and they don't need people like me there! Kirsten (still peeved that they told me to call on Friday and when I did, they said they'd filled the position! bastards!) -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:16:08 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Razor Burn....etc. Message-ID: Hey/hay, I am in the process of FINALLY listening to SEXXY-5. I really really really like Sensurround and Unforgottne, and WGAWTS too. Plus Tower had 2 copies of Back to Skull and FIVE WHOLE COPIES of T:TEY. Which I didn't have enough money to buy :( but I will soon :D Okay, so here's my non-TMBG content: DOes anyone have a decent remedy for a serious case of razor burn? I'm supposed to wear shorts tomorrow but my legs are covered with razor burn- this is the worst I've ever had. Unhappiness. Plus I might be grounded next week during spring break. More unhappiness. HOWEVER I am going to look at a $1390 VW van on Friday as a possibility for a first car :) :) :) It would be cool. Happiness. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 23:16 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: oh the stupidity! *sigh* What is this world coming to? My buddy Rockford was attempting to do research in the school library for his informative speech on TMBG (love this child!) the other day when he came across an unexpected roadblock: the lyrics to SEXXY were blocked out by SurfWatch!!! Foolish, foolish machine! I didn't know whether to laugh or be indignant. Frankly, the whole decency thing seems suddenly frightening... Kirsten (contemplating the future) -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970402202506.00686f64@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:28:27 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. Hi 'vryone Having recently come into possession of the studio version of the FS unreleased songs (On The Drag, Counterfeit Faker, Certain People I Could Name, Reprehensible, Older, They Got Lost, and Rat Patrol), I feel compelled to share my thoughts. Humor me, will you? Thanks. :) On The Drag-- MUCH more hard rockin' than anything I've heard from our beloved Giants. My parents would hate this. :) (Of course, these are the same people who categorized New York City as "noise.") I really like the song, though. Counterfeit Faker--I don't like it, but it's been running through my head all day. Guess that says something... Certain People I Could Name-- An extremely depressing view of human nature set to a beautiful, lullaby-like melody. I think it's about the capacity for callousness, insensitivity, and evil in all of us. The song argues that television has done much to foster our startling callousness towards both human and natural violence. Reprehensible-- A very 40's song, about an old evildoer and his cheerful dismissal of his pangs of conscience. Older-- What can I say? It's way cool, and if I had my way, it would replace "Happy Birthday" as the commonly-sung birthday song. :) And I love the counterpoint at the end--it sounds like they're singing it in rounds. They Got Lost-- Very mellow and slow, with straightforward lyrics about Their adventures behind the wheel. Offers some interesting insight into a typical day on tour. Rat Patrol-- I only moderately like this song. I have no idea what it's about, but I'll make a vague conjecture that it's about a guy who lives in a rural area, chases off intruders, and is going insane. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... O yes. I remember it now. All these songs except for They Got Lost and Older were written by Flansburgh. If they'd all been included on FS, the Flansburgh/Linnell ratio would not have been nearly so lopsided. (interestingly enough, Linnell's two songs are the lyrically simplest of the bunch, in a direct reversal of our usual generalizations about their writing styles.) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." -They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704030529.OAA06641@mita1.cc.mita.keio.ac.jp> Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Japan Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 14:29:54 +0900 From: NAOYUKI ISOGAI Hello There! "They" played in Tokyo on 1st and 2nd April, and I went to both shows. I don't remember correctly what songs "they" played on the first day, however the setlist for the second day is unforgotten because I got a setlist sheet which "they" had actually used after the show. The sheet describes how the show went on... NYC ; Rhythm ; Pet Name ; Particle Man ; The Guitar -> SEXXY ; Polk ; Bird ; "Long Strong Latin" ; No One ; Twist ; Shoe ; METAL ; Sing ; Purple ; Ensor ; Replacemnts ; Older/Sleepin' ; Til ; Spy ; Istanbul ; I Can Hear ; Where/Dig "MILK", where "they" played on the second day, was such a small club that "they" were playing exactly in front of me. John F let a few people in the audience including me play his guitar, and I got a gut that he cut on the stage. I was absolutely exited during the show. And what was more exiting, I succeeded in meeting and talking with "them" directly after the show on the first day. At first, I was waiting for "them" to appear at the back entrace, and when John L appeared, I talked to him: Mr. Me : "Excuse me, but..." Mr. Linell : "Sorry, but I've gotta go now." Then, Graham and Dan appeared. Of course I said HI to them and shook hands with them. I kept on waiting for John F, but he didn't appear. After a while, I made up my mind to give up and to go home. However, when I was passing by a certain place near "QUATTORO", where "they" played on the first day, I saw all of "them" gathering. There was not a soul but "them" and a few staff members there. I opened the door and talked to "them". I asked all of "them" to sign on the back of the case (correctly speaking, on the sheet under the case) of the CD set _THEN_. It seemed that "they" had never seen _THEN_ itself before I showed it to "them", and we discussed the design of the jacket. John F told me that the back of the booklet should be illustrating the battle between England and Spain. I told him that a Japanese letter called "ka" appeared on the jacket and the face of the booklet. Everybody there seemed to be interested in "ka", and actually, John L wrote "ka" beside his sign. Also, I had wrote a lyric to be called "Japanese #3" (i.e.: a Japanese version of the song "Number Three") before the show, and asked John F to sing it on the following day. However, he answered that it was too difficult. After all, I spent about thirteen minutes there, and I found "they" were all awfully kind and really friendly. If I had been much better at speaking English, I could have talked about a lot more things with "them". However, I'm completely happy to have talked with "them"... Cheers! | P.S.: This is "ka". ---> -+-+ | | | P:S.: A fuckin' ass-hole dove onto the stage when "they" were playing "Dig My Grave" on the second day. John F got mad at him and left the stage in the middle of the song. This is why I could not talk with "them" on the second day. ---- NaoyuKing, the faculty "I am a snake head of Economics, KEIO Univ. eating the head on the opposite side..." E-mail:b9400863@mita.cc.keio.ac.jp ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970403010741.006c7918@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 01:07:41 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: FS Sessions would someone be so kind as to make me a copy, and maybe also send it to me, in say, a trade, or perhaps a blank tape? Hmm? anyone? -ec, the late-nite downloader.... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-93 *****************************