Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 94 Friday, 4 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: OMLTs forever TMBG: video bootlegs TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Re: TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. TMBG: FS sessions TMBG: Boston Roll Call TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call TMBG: a lotta stuff Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Re: TMBG: OMLTs forever Re: TMBG: Purdue show RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. NON-TMBG: April fool's thingy TMBG: Then: An Athens Review TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-93 RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) Re: TMBG: Then: An Athens Review Re: TMBG: FS Sessions TMBG: Leaving TMBG: Dream!!!! TMBG: Not everyone's a cretin... Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! Re: NON-TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off.... promo CD's TMBG: Oh yeah.... Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Questions TMBG: Musta been the air Nonsense TMBG: I just thought this up. Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single Non-TMBG: Setzer, Beautiful South Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! TMBG: oh my goodness... TMBG: They Might Be Yankovic/Excuse Me, Miss... Re: TMBG: Musta been the air Re: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. TMBG: yet another OMLT Re: TMBG: They Might Be Yankovic/Excuse Me, Miss... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 02:33:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970402232323_-1034568578@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs forever OMLTs again. You're sick of reading them, I'm sick of writing them, so I'll keep it short. Want an Official Mailing List T-shirt? Of course you do. So send the following to christy@tmbg.org: --Number, size of shirts wanted --Name and shipping address --e-mail address used most Are you new here? Visit the OMLT design at http://omlt.home.ml.org to see what this shirt will look like. It will cost around 9-10 dollars plus shipping. It will probably be shipped in about a month or so. And, yes, I *did* mean to say "mundane" rather than "urbane" yesterday. OK? Jeeze. That's what happens when you start typing on three hours sleep. It won't happen agi//sil.kg '',3j=24 ;l;kzg --Chrikl'kgfa/;'gx sty ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 07:25:23 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403072522_638106395@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: video bootlegs Could anyone e-mail me (privately) with info on how to get the TMBG video bootlegs? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:32:44 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Message-ID: Dear TMBGirl, You must feel very clever. You've revealed my evil plan to rip off an unsuspecting person for one whole cassette tape! Well here's the true story: 1. There are collectors who enjoy having different things (indeed EVERYTHING) by the particular artists that they admire. 2. Many of those people can be found on this list. Right? I mean anyone who would post pages and pages speculating on conversations with fake TMBG relatives or if TMBG members were virgins on their respective wedding nights- would certainly fit in to category #1. 3. There are probably people on this list who are not as cosmopolitan as you, and don't live near a Tower Records- and their only outlet for cool hard to find collectibles is here (sure I'll go as far as saying that a promo only copy of S-E-X-X-Y is a collectible- there are only a limited amount- granted a LARGE limited amount). 4. I swear to you (on a stack of TMBG stuff) that I did not mean to pull a fast one on you (or anyone on the list). If there is no one interested in trading, FINE! But that should really be enough- there's no need to incriminate someone. I think you owe me an apology. That's all. Scott (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4nEvJ8200iWp02x6g0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:48:55 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Apr-97 TMBG: FS unreleased songs, .. by Nicole the W. Nerd@tmbg. > O yes. I remember it now. All these songs except for They Got Lost and > Older were written by Flansburgh. If they'd all been included on FS, the > Flansburgh/Linnell ratio would not have been nearly so lopsided. > (interestingly enough, Linnell's two songs are the lyrically simplest of > the bunch, in a direct reversal of our usual generalizations about their > writing styles.) bzzzt. Linnell wrote Certain People I Could Name, too, and half of Rat Patrol (the music half). Here's my take on the whole thing.... On the Drag: I like the live version much better. Less hard guitar, more keyboard. I don't think the keyboard shows up nearly as much in this one, although you do occasionally hear the effect that is also heard at the beginning of Till My Head Falls Off, and somewhere in SenSurround. I actually think that the guitar style in this is very similar to that in Sensurround (not SenSurround - those who have both CDs, note the difference). Counterfeit Faker - lousy guitar work. The live version sounds *much* better, and they achieved the country guitar effect much better, as well. This recording sounds a lot less polished. Certain People I Could Name - a great, song but not necessarily a "Linnell Masterpiece," such as The End of the Tour or The Bells are Ringing. It's catchy, and musically interesting (I'm guessing they left it off FS because of either The Bells or Your Own Worst Enemy). I still haven't listened to it very carefully, yet... at least not for all the words. Reprehensible - again, I like the live version much better. Granted, this is probably the most similar to its live version (although Certain People is close), but the clarinet is more prominent in the live performances, and there's no piano, so it comes out a lot less forced and heavy. Much calmer in concert, I think. Older - the echo in the last verse is great. the strange synth intro is not. take the concert version, add the echo to the last verse, and it'll be a great song. I think the reverb effect in the "Time is marching on" part is interesting. Not totally necessary, but it give us an idea as to why Linnell seemed to scream that part in concert... They Got Lost - similar to the live version. Kind of funny, but they should leave Graham, Brian and Eric out of it, simply because two of the three are no longer touring with the band, so it won't make much sense. Of course, we don't know how long it's been around, either...... imagine: "Jon said to Kurt: 'I see somebody walking this way,' so Tony rolled down the window and said....." (fall/winter, 1992) Rat Patrol - The first song I ever heard on Dial-a-Song. And the version I heard was, IMHO, pretty bad. It was, from what I remember, sung a capella, and the rhythm was slightly different - perhaps it was a completely different song under the same title, though.... who knows? I like the song, though. It's kind of interesting and different for TMBG. I think the songs could all use a little more polishing... and also, either the recordings have the bass pumped way too high, or my stereo does... they sounded a lot lower than most other TMBG songs... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9704031401.AA14863@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 08:45:21 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: FS sessions >would someone be so kind as to make me a copy, and maybe also send it to >me, in say, a trade, or perhaps a blank tape? Hmm? anyone? I would also be interested in some manner of trade for these recordings. Also, I'd just like to mention that Australian article was really great, and summed up a lot of what I think about they might be giants, nice to know that Flans and I share the same view of the band in general. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> An individualist is a man who says: "I will not run anyone's life - nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule or be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone - nor sacrifice anyone to myself." -- Ayn Rand, "Textbook of Americanism" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704031441.JAA10245@mail-e2b.gnn.com> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 09:46:31 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: TMBG: Boston Roll Call Geetings to all disciples of Johns, I've been lurking on this list for at least two years now and thought I'd de-lurk long enough to ask who is planning on going to this Saturday's TMBG show in Boston. I've been to half a dozen or so of their shows across the New England/New York area and am looking forward to this one being the best! Anyone interested in a pre-show lister get-togather somewhere near the venue? My palms are getting moist just thinking about it. KOK ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704031455.AA04497@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: FS unreleased songs, reviewed by me. Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:55:57 -0500 (EST) > O yes. I remember it now. All these songs except for They Got Lost and > Older were written by Flansburgh. If they'd all been included on FS, the > Flansburgh/Linnell ratio would not have been nearly so lopsided. > (interestingly enough, Linnell's two songs are the lyrically simplest of > the bunch, in a direct reversal of our usual generalizations about their > writing styles.) So because Linnell wrote 7 songs and Flansburgh wrote 6 songs on Factory Showroom, that makes it lopsided? hmmm I'm not sure what you are saying here. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:08:20 -0500 (EST) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call Message-ID: > I've been lurking on this list for at least two years now and > thought I'd de-lurk long enough to ask who is planning on > going to this Saturday's TMBG show in Boston. I've been to > half a dozen or so of their shows across the New England/New > York area and am looking forward to this one being the best! > > Anyone interested in a pre-show lister get-togather somewhere > near the venue? Yeah, me and my friend plan on going, and we'll be in boston most of the day, so anytime before the concert is cool.. -Adam ~-~\ /~-~ | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | | Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still | | haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence | *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:20:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403101920_-1838554767@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a lotta stuff Forgive me for my nearly 2 week late reply... (I think I ought to switch to "list", eh?) I love the World's Addy Remix. And while we're on it, I love "Santa's Beard." I love "You'll Miss Me." I love "(She Was A) Hotel Detective". I love _Flood_. I love Rabid Child. I love 32 Footsteps. I love the Pink Album. I love John Henry. I love taco salad. I love the color blue. I love Dave Foley. I love coffee. I love my tape/cd/video collection. I love my lava lamp. I love my dog. I love TMBG. >Have any of you come up with anything different/better? I sometimes call myself either "GIANThead" or "TMBGer" (Tee-eM-Bee-Gee-er). AUGH! I let this girl borrow Lincoln, because she "wanted so see what the big thing about them is" (??). She brought it back today, and she said "I have your cd - I'll give it to in in class.. it SUCKED!" (and at this point I just froze there in my 2040 shirt and my jaw dropped. And all her friends were looking at me like "you listen to sucky music?") "It sucked so BAD! It was SO NERDY! It just SUCKED!" And she kept saying what stupid music it was. :P :P :P Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ shocked that my copy of Then only cost a cool $19.99, sarah. :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 10:31:28 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <3343CD50.5F64@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call sorry, that was not supposed to go to the list... while I'm here though I may as well mention that I have the tape with that Flansburg "express myself as a rock guitarist" tape...which is amazing since I only have three bootlegs... later-hosen Whim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 10:27:47 -0500 From: Whim Message-ID: <3343CC73.74B5@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call I'm going to the Boston show but I think I'll already be in a large group...but if you see a large group of slightly scary people, don't be afraid to say hi! I've also followed Them fairly well through New England/New York (with the exception of the Irving shows)...we've probably been at a lot of the same shows... later-hosen Whim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:38:25 -0800 From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Message-Id: <9704030838.ZM8508@mando.engr.sgi.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) wrote, in error: > >sorry to post this soooo late in case of if any fool fell for this >scheme.... > >>If anyone's interested in trading, I have a CD single (promo only) of >>TMBG's >>S-E-X-X-Y (prcd 9637-2)- >>it has the radio mix (3:19) >>and the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (7:52) >>it's a pretty cool collectible- it just has the Elektra art on the back, >>with all the TMBG info. >>The CD itself is pink with yellow lettering. > >whoever posted that... you can get a copy of this at any Tower records >store... yes, i know you're thinking that i'm thinking of the REAL >S~E~X~X~Y single but you, my friend are mistaken.... >it's been sitting at my local tower records store for quite some time and >actually it's not worth a rat;s ass Sorry, you who have no name, but you are wrong, and you are rude as well. That CD was in fact released for promotion only, sent to record stores and radio stations only. Your local Tower should not have a copy for sale, and if they do, then you have a much different Tower Records than the ones in my neighborhood. Tower never sells used CDs! You can definitely NOT get a copy of this CD at any Tower Records store. You can, quite possibly, get a copy of the three-song _S-E-X-X-Y_ CD (the above songs + We've Got A World That Swings), and you might be luck and find a copy of the five-song CD (those songs and two more), but both of those are NOT the promotional CD. That fact notwithstanding, that promo CD might not be worth a rat's ass (except perhaps to die-hard TMBG collectors, who might just pay a fair sum). >> Oh yeah, and I think i may have found Linny's email, but out of privacy >> I'm not gonna say. And while you're at it, why don't you stick your tongues out at us, give us a raspberry, fart in our general direction, and call us names? >That is way too cruel to even be an April Fool's joke. Posts like this >one >should be banned :) You might have a point there. -- John -- http://reality.sgi.com/relph/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704031641.LAA01194@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLTs forever Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:41:41 -0500 (EST) Christi587 the OMLT person writes: > > OMLTs again. You're sick of reading them, I'm sick of writing them, so I'll > keep it short. > Actually, I'm sick of writing to you about this and getting no response. > Want an Official Mailing List T-shirt? Of course you do. I would feel more inclined to order one if you would ever return any of my emails to you on the subject. > Are you new here? Visit the OMLT design at http://omlt.home.ml.org to see > what this shirt will look like. Actually, I consider YOU to be new here. I simply lost track of the shirt developments. I assume that design #1 is the winner? Christy apparently refuses to talk to me, so would somebody else on the list please inform me? Thanks, m@t p.s. I hope my tone doesn't sound nasty, I'm just a bit annoyed... ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704031646.LAA02078@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Purdue show Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:46:43 -0500 (EST) Stefanie writes: > > Ok, there was this rumour running around that They were playing at Purdue > at some festival or other, and that it might be free. A. What was that > all about, B. Was it true? I know, Matt Coon, that you go to Purdue, do > you have any info about this? What's going on? > Hey, nobody around here ever tells me anything!:-) To try to get more information on this, I am subjecting myself daily to the Purdue Exponent (you would realize what a selfless move this is on my part if you'd ever had to read it), but I've still heard nil in the way of "official" news. The conjecture of people who know more about these things than I is that They are playing a free outdoor concert here for Grand Prix weekend. I will be sure to let everybody know when I hear something more concrete... m@t ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:50:55 -0800 >---------- >From: Scott Rodas[SMTP:skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us] >Sent: Thursday, April 03, 1997 5:32 AM >To: tmbgirl@juno.com >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. > [snip evil plot, and such about 2-track SEXXY single] CDNow offers 2 version of the SEXXY single....One of which only has 2 tracks. I believe this is the "promotional" version. So everyone go visit them. But make sure you get to them via the CDNow link on the www.tmbg.org page, so They get credit for your business. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:54:48 -0800 Oh, and send Scott copies of all your bootlegs/etc. (: Just because he's a really kool guy and brought the 2-track single up, making all of you aware it exists. (: Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: NON-TMBG: April fool's thingy Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:20:07 -0800 *snicker* A local radio station got in a BUNCH of trouble.... It happens to be the same station that always sponsors Them when they're in town. Basically, one of the DJ's said Pearl Jam was going to be giving a FREE concert at a small, local out-of-the-way Park-and-Ride (parking lot to park your cars and catch the bus). Apparently, OVER 300 PEOPLE SHOWED UP, the Metro lawyers threatened to sue, etc, etc. Now you gotta ask yourself.... 1) Pearl Jam. Free concert. Right. 2) Small Park-and-Ride. Pearl Jam. Home town for them. Right. 3) It's April Fools, and they've already done a number of pranks. So anyway, they had to run a bunch of ads every 15-20 minutes saying, basically, that we apologize, and it WAS April fool's, and if you think about it, it was REALLY unlikely that it would be real, and if you fell for it you should really take a minute to laugh at yourself for how silly you were, and there's only 364 days until the 1998 April fools, so you're safe...until then. (Spoken in a VERY sarcastic tone). (: Just thought I'd share that with you all. Jesse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 13:00:09 -0500 (EST) From: "Marc Schaub, Jr." Subject: TMBG: Then: An Athens Review Message-ID: Hey, I don't subscribe anymore, but I thought you all might like to see this review of Then for the Red & Black in Athens, GA. I'm just gonna include the actual review and not the stuff you already know about it. Giants CD set looks back to 'Then' by Beth Haggerty If songs were people, TMBG's two-disc set "Then: The Earlier Years" might be China. With more songs than parked beer trucks in downtown Athens, "Then" is an overdose of pop, polka, and novelty that will have you singing from you barstools. TMBG's quirky lyrics are commonplace in it's songs, and "Greek #3" a version of "#3", adds flair to the footstomping original found on their self-titled release. One song without any lyrics, "The Famous Polka," is another noteworthy track that shows the versatility of TMBG (John Linnell and John Flansburgh). Undoubtedly, the highlight of the set is "Schoolchildren singing Particle Man," which was sent to the band by a teacher. [The Song] is a fresh ending to a long (really long) Kermit-the-Frog nasal-voiced set of tunes. There isn't a gray area witht the band. You either savor its kitshy humor and pop or you view the music as annoying artsy crap. In small doses, "Then" provides an adequate scope of the Giants' work. as expected, "Then" is strictly for the most dedicated fans. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970403111112.006c7874@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 11:11:37 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-93 Ooops... Silly me... I wrote that Certain People was a Flansburgh song; it is actually a Linnell song. Thanks to all those who pointed it out to me! --nicole the wonder nerd p.s. please don't ask me to dub these for you; I don't have a machine capable of making a copy of a tape. *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." -They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:17:06 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Message-ID: I know the cd of which you speak- and I one I have is not this one. You're talking about the s-e-x-x-y single that looks exactly the same as the extended ep- with the pinkish/red cover that looks like a sofa cushion, right? Well- the cd I have is in a plastic jewel case with a generic elekta label thingy in the back- with all the tmbg info on it. Trust me it's promo only. It says so. I dont think that CD One Stop (or CD Now) sells CDs that say promo only. I may be wrong. Listen, perhaps we should just forget the whole thing. It's becoming a bit too much of a headache just for a stupid trade. I just didn't like the part where TMBGirl called me a thief. That's all. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704031957.AA04773@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:57:19 -0500 (EST) > Trust me it's promo only. It says so. I dont think that CD One Stop (or > CD Now) sells CDs that say promo only. > While it's true that I've never seen a Promo only CD in Tower records (not that I go there very often) they are rather common. If you go to any used CD store you will see quite a few of them, I must have about 30-40 alone myself. I saw a Factory Showroom Promo for sale for $9.99 2 days before it was even released to the public. I guess in most cases stores can sell them after a certain amount of time has passed, because there's no way in hell they could deal with that many and not get caught. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:00:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403155800_921975204@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) In regard to sarah's message: >AUGH! I let this girl borrow Lincoln, because she "wanted so see what the big >thing about them is" (??). She brought it back today, and she said "I have >your cd - I'll give it to in in class.. it SUCKED!" (and at this point I just >froze there in my 2040 shirt and my jaw dropped. And all her friends were >looking at me like "you listen to sucky music?") "It sucked so BAD! It was SO >NERDY! It just SUCKED!" >And she kept saying what stupid music it was. :P :P :P >Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ Sarah, tell this "person" that she sucks almost as bad as Marylin Manson. Ask her if she knows that the lead singer of MM is a priest in the church of Satan. (I seriously believe this this to be true, having heard it somewhere...oh yeah, then it must be true!) Jeez. These kids today. You should have choked her to death with your 2040 Tour shirt right there in the hall. I think Green Day is okay (they're reminiscent of some of the better punk bands of the 80's) despite their horribly depressing (read: crappy) lyrics; Michael Jackson is...well... Michael Jackson (I think I have "Dangerous" lying around here somewhere). Kinda related: The other day my friend (who had never heard of TMBG until Tiny Toons) told me that he'd bought Flood, "but just because of Particle Man and that Constantinople song." He got all defensive when I asked if he liked them or wanted to get any other albums. He said "No! You know, they really aren't that good", as if he was doing me a big favor by letting me know how not good they are. Sheesh. For some reason I hope he doesn't get any more of their albums; I'm enjoying the "fame" of being the only person at my high school to have heard of TMBG. (One time I was writing a "They Might Be Giants" logo next to algebra problem in my notebook, and the kid next to me saw it and goes "Who might be giants?" And I went "It's a band." And he went "Oh.... so then who might be giants?" Sigh. -Geoff "Addicted to parentheses" Sondergard ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:01:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403155800_921975204@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) In regard to sarah's message: >AUGH! I let this girl borrow Lincoln, because she "wanted so see what the big >thing about them is" (??). She brought it back today, and she said "I have >your cd - I'll give it to in in class.. it SUCKED!" (and at this point I just >froze there in my 2040 shirt and my jaw dropped. And all her friends were >looking at me like "you listen to sucky music?") "It sucked so BAD! It was SO >NERDY! It just SUCKED!" >And she kept saying what stupid music it was. :P :P :P >Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ Sarah, tell this "person" that she sucks almost as bad as Marylin Manson. Ask her if she knows that the lead singer of MM is a priest in the church of Satan. (I seriously believe this this to be true, having heard it somewhere...oh yeah, then it must be true!) Jeez. These kids today. You should have choked her to death with your 2040 Tour shirt right there in the hall. I think Green Day is okay (they're reminiscent of some of the better punk bands of the 80's) despite their horribly depressing (read: crappy) lyrics; Michael Jackson is...well... Michael Jackson (I think I have "Dangerous" lying around here somewhere). Kinda related: The other day my friend (who had never heard of TMBG until Tiny Toons) told me that he'd bought Flood, "but just because of Particle Man and that Constantinople song." He got all defensive when I asked if he liked them or wanted to get any other albums. He said "No! You know, they really aren't that good", as if he was doing me a big favor by letting me know how not good they are. Sheesh. For some reason I hope he doesn't get any more of their albums; I'm enjoying the "fame" of being the only person at my high school to have heard of TMBG. (One time I was writing a "They Might Be Giants" logo next to algebra problem in my notebook, and the kid next to me saw it and goes "Who might be giants?" And I went "It's a band." And he went "Oh.... so then who might be giants?" Sigh. -Geoff "Addicted to parentheses" Sondergard ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Then: An Athens Review Message-ID: <19970403.164124.5118.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 16:41:39 EST That asshole used the dreaded "q" word! He also said that They sound like Kermit the frog! (probably referring to Flans). Some of my friends have also told me that Flans sounds like Wierd Al Yankovic! What the hell is wrong with these people?! Non-fans just don't understand anything! Oh, and he made another mistake: The Famous Polka DOES have lyrics! Just had to gripe... -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334429E4.794F@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 16:06:28 -0600 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: Re: TMBG: FS Sessions Evan Chakroff wrote: > > would someone be so kind as to make me a copy, and maybe also send it to > me, in say, a trade, or perhaps a blank tape? Hmm? anyone? > > -ec, the late-nite downloader.... I've got some of the unreleased songs on my homepage (4) and the others may be coming soon if the people demand it. I don't remember the url, but theres a link to it at my old homepage (http://www.dragonfire.net/~Moogle/tmbg.htm). The sound quality isn't that great, but its listenable. Oh yeah, most of these songs will be released on 'Thing' so if you don't want to spoil them, don't D/L em. ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:18:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403171642_-1537059315@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Leaving Well, I guess this message is a waste of space, BUT, I am going to DUCK!! ahem.. Duck, NC for 2 days and don't wish to have my mail box full of TMBG letters when I get back... not that I don't enjoy reading them... I just like to take it in moderation... So I am leaving for 2 days... I hope I can catch up on the threads when I get back... One last Fun Thing To Do In an Elevator before I go... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ < Miscellaneous Tim > < AKA > < TMB(do)G > <"I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"- The Odds > < "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > < -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > < "...we don't especially identify with the 'Rangers. > < Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell > < 50 Fun Things to Do in an Elevator > <11. When arriving at your floor, grunt and strain to yank the doors open, > < then act embarrassed when they open by themselves. > < "...and if it all turned out the way we knew it wouldn't" > < -The Connells > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Bye! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970403173933.006ce208@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 17:39:33 -0500 From: Perry lee Subject: TMBG: Dream!!!! WOW! after reading everyone elses' dream's about TMBG, i finally had my own last night. It started about 7:00 PM, i was walking through my old neighborhood in Brooklyn, and i reached the corner and turned around, and i saw J&J walking into their apartment building. I said hey what's up, and they turned around and recognized me for some reason. They said Hey Perry, help us with some of this stuff. So i went to the van, which appeared out of nowhere, and grabbed a big Moog and a snare drum, and walked up the stairs. I arrived directly into a large studio apartment cluttered with mikes, recording equipment, computers, and coffee machines. John and John were having a cuppa over at a counter and i asked them where to put all the stuff. They said just set it down on the floor, and they'll take care of it. I noticed that WGAWTS was playing, and i remarked how conceited it was for a band to listen to their own music, but they said that they were just checking to see if it "sounded right". John then opened up a drawer of TMBG tshirts, and he said i could take as many as i wanted. THen he threw a handful of singles at me feet. I said that it would be really cool if i could play around on their keyboards, and john and john looked at each other and said ok. So i started to program stuff and hit random keys to see what everything sounded like, and i started to play the SPeed Racer theme song, and then John L. started playing with a big ball of tape, and Flansy grabbed his guitar and started to accompany me. I started doing lots of complicated mixing techniques for some reason, like throwing in drum tracks, which i would'nt normally know how to do. THen all of a sudden my friend garret pulled up in a hot purple VW bug (Which he does NOT own in real life,) and he and greg got out. The came up and greg and garret each went for a cup of coffee, cause they're java freaks. Linnel gave them shirts and singles too. Then Flans said that it was about time for us to go, since they had something to do, and then they pointed at a big puzzle that was on the floor. Me, greg and garret picked up our stuff and said goodbye. Then flans and Linnel said that if we ever wanted to come by for steak or something, that we should call. I said ok and we walked out. Trippy huh? zink |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:51:48 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Not everyone's a cretin... Message-ID: Well, after reading poor Sara's message on how someone thought that Lincoln sucked (the nerve!), I thought I'd post my feel-good message about them... Still reeling from the insult of "They Might Be Dwarves" (as if!), when I came home today from skipping my last class in favour of the weather (68 degrees! Yeah!), I arrived to the dulcet tones of "She's Actual Size." There were a bunch of people out in the court yard, and someone had turned their stereo out their window and was blasing Apollo 18! "Ah," I thought. "A kindred spirit!" However, when I came out from my room to leave again, they had turned their stereo back in to the room and Apollo 18 was not so loud, so I can only assume that someone yelled at them, "Turn that crap off, it sucks!" Yes, that's me, always quick to assume the worst in people! Damned hippies... _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 3 Apr 97 18:06 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! Then Flans said that it was about time for us to >go, since they had something to do, and then they pointed at a big puzzle >that was on the floor. LOL!!! That's just *too* awesome. I'm sorry, I just had to share my extreme delight at the mental image of John and John sitting around with cups of coffee putting together a puzzel. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off.... promo CD's Date: Fri, 04 Apr 97 16:56:02 PST ---------- | | > Trust me it's promo only. It says so. I dont think that CD One Stop (or | > CD Now) sells CDs that say promo only. | > | While it's true that I've never seen a Promo only CD in Tower records | (not that I go there very often) they are rather common. If you go to | any used CD store you will see quite a few of them, I must have about | 30-40 alone myself. I saw a Factory Showroom Promo for sale for $9.99 2 | days before it was even released to the public. I guess in most cases | stores can sell them after a certain amount of time has passed, because | there's no way in hell they could deal with that many and not get On Promo CD's they say "Not for retail sale" (or some such), which means they aren't supposed to sell them, but Used Record Stores do all the time. But you likely won't be able to buy them at New Record Stores. I got ultra-excited at Blockbuster Music once, because I found a Promo Copy of Brian Setzer Orchestra's most recent CD and was all prepared to buy it, but the guy behind the counter asked his co-worker if he could sell it to me (it has a price tag and was packaged just like the others, with the exception of the promo stamp)... Mr manager, or assistant manager, or evil dork said something to the effect of "We're not allowed to sell promo copies and will get in big trouble if we do... once we're done using them as promo copies you canjust take them if you want.." He then proceeded to find me ANOTHER copy of the CD (The ONE TIME they have more than 1 Brian Setzer CD in stock!), and says "But this is cool, I'm keeping this!" Michelle ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:16:19 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Oh yeah.... Message-ID: Hey/hay, BTW, I neglected to mention yesterday that the SEXXY-5 was on the top ten rack in Tower (#10) adn that was where I found it. I know it's not the #10 single right now, so is this just a store-by-store thing or what? Oh well.... Also, thanks to Anne and Jesse and Queen Sneepy for their razor burn remedies! Jesse- the astringent thing sounds REALLY painful....but that's OK. Anne, I do actually have an aloe plant but completely forgot about it.... :) It pretty much went away with the help of flannel PJ pants and Vaseline, but this morning it was still painful, so I put some other stuff on and that worked. :D ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:31:16 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: Re: TMBG: A whole lotta stuff (P.S. I quoted most of a message in here...!) Message-ID: > saw it and goes "Who might be giants?" the correct response is 'They' :) >And I went "It's a band." And he went shoehorn with teeth mike ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:57:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403195709_1750381807@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.COM Questions Subject: TMBG: Musta been the air Message-Id: so I _too_ had an experience with tmbg outside today...coming home from class i walked by The Crossing, a bar on the edge of campus complete with a huge porch and blasting music, i suppose to 'entice' people. today, unlike most, Twistin' was lofting from the weatherproof speakers. the frat boys who make it their duty to keep the place in business were all dancing around...so i went over and said, "hey, do you guys know who this is?" in a curious tone. and their faces all blankly stared "no." sheesh! the nerve of some people -- to dance to the Giants, but not even know their name. my point (and plea) here is to anyone who is in a fraternity (or sorority) to PLEASE educate your siblings on the finer things...teach them the way of the Giants...it's your duty! that's all. Jillian A'Lee Buser woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb Environmental Studies/Urban Planning The University of Kansas ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704040123.TAA15332@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Nonsense TMBG: I just thought this up. Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:14:08 -0600 I just thought of this, and if it's been said before, well slap my face and wake the war machine. Have it focus a single eye to the sky. Everyone's a Superhero, Everyone's a Captain Kirk. "..And on their new album, _Factory Showroom_, They Might Be Giants cover the Cub song 'New York City'." NEW YORK CITY?!?! Get a Rope! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!! :) Gaa.. When I can't think of anything to say, I run old commercials to death. I haven't had anything to say for several years now. Mike "This is Pete. WAKE UP PETE!" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com Write me if you've seen my face in tapestries! ..DON'T write me if you've seen anything else of mine in tapestries... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:08:41 -0500 (EST) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston Roll Call Message-ID: Im going..Im just upset about the secret show!!! I have to work dammit!!! :( On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Coyote wrote: > > I've been lurking on this list for at least two years now and > > thought I'd de-lurk long enough to ask who is planning on > > going to this Saturday's TMBG show in Boston. I've been to > > half a dozen or so of their shows across the New England/New > > York area and am looking forward to this one being the best! > > > > Anyone interested in a pre-show lister get-togather somewhere > > near the venue? > > Yeah, me and my friend plan on going, and we'll be in boston most of the > day, so anytime before the concert is cool.. > > -Adam > ~-~\ /~-~ > | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | > | Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still | > | haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence | > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970104014307.00670a80@spectra.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 20:43:07 -0500 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Promo Single I found the promo with the electra art at a CD show, and paid $4 for it :) >That fact notwithstanding, that promo CD might not be worth a rat's >ass (except perhaps to die-hard TMBG collectors, who might just pay a >fair sum). #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) #B) &:) EvErY OnE wAnTs To SeE tHaT gRoOvY ThInG AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704040217.AA10207@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: Non-TMBG: Setzer, Beautiful South Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:17:03 -0500 (EST) > I got ultra-excited at Blockbuster Music once, because I found a Promo Copy > of Brian Setzer Orchestra's most recent CD and was all prepared to buy it, > but the guy behind the counter asked his co-worker if he could sell it to > me (it has a price tag and was packaged just like the others, with the > exception of the promo stamp)... Mr manager, or assistant manager, or evil > dork said something to the effect of "We're not allowed to sell promo > copies and will get in big trouble if we do... once we're done using them > as promo copies you canjust take them if you want.." He then proceeded to > find me ANOTHER copy of the CD (The ONE TIME they have more than 1 Brian > Setzer CD in stock!), and says "But this is cool, I'm keeping this!" I heard a song by the Brian Setzer Orchestra and really liked it a lot but when I searched for something by this Canadian band (is that right?) I was unable to find anything. Is it rather hard to find their stuff? For those interested in lyrics in multiple languages, the Beautiful South's new album _Blue is the Colour_ has alternate lyrics in many different languages, from French to German, to Japanese to Arabic as well as many others. So look for it, if you can find it in the U.S. Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 22:01:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403220030_922019089@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! In a message dated 97-04-03 19:13:01 EST, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: << Then Flans said that it was about time for us to >go, since they had something to do, and then they pointed at a big puzzle >that was on the floor. LOL!!! That's just *too* awesome. I'm sorry, I just had to share my extreme delight at the mental image of John and John sitting around with cups of coffee putting together a puzzel. :) >> I think that would make an interesting song. A song about a missing puzzle piece all alone under the sofa with the remote, keys, and change. Hmm...if only I was musically talented. joel "sorry for this post" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 04 Apr 1997 13:37:11 +1000 Message-ID: <000CACBD.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: oh my goodness... You'll never guess what just happened (well, unless I tell you you won't... but enough of my rambling) I just rang a record store to see if they were getting a copy of T:TEY in and not only did the girl who answered the phone know who I was talking about, she seemed HAPPY TO TAKE THE CALL??!!?!!!???!!!! This must be a red letter day in the history of record stores. She'd better be careful though. If her boss catches her being friendly to customers, she'll probably be in trouble... Andrew Callaghan "oops, this was supposed to be in the middle" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704040408.WAA18664@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Yankovic/Excuse Me, Miss... Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:59:24 -0600 A while back there was a discussion about how Everything You Know Is Wrong is/was/could be a Weird Al tribu-parody of They, and a list of similaritites/points of interest in his song were posted. I recently got ahold of a copy of the song and without being told by many people of the list and not, that this was so, I would've just chalked it up to being a random Al song. If anyobody could re-send me those points (i noticed the sound, the 'evil twin' was mentioned, etc.) so I could single out these Theyisms and console my tortured Nothing-Better- to-Do-With-My-Horrid-Life curiousity, that would be nifty. You know, it's bad enough that there's a group of people who keep misdialing their phone. It's bad enough that they're looking for a fellow named Mike, and keep on calling MY home. It's bad enough that this group is usually a gang of happy 'let's get drunk' girls. It's bad enough that when I explain that even though MY name is Mike, and they have a horribly wrong number, that they usually moan in dismay and disgust. BUT WHEN I NEGLECT TO SAY THAT *MY* NAME IS MIKE, AND THEY START TO SAY "Oh, I wondered, because you didn't sound like a man!" AFTER I STATE "i think you have the wrong number", __THEN__ I GET PISSED. PISSED. PISSED. Mike "Why Can't I Sing Like A Man?" Leffel A very manly person in both behavior and looks. He doesn't know why people think he's female. ..usually this is where I'd throw in a "Although I am wearing a dress" joke, but I'm pissed. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:57:57 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Musta been the air Message-ID: Jill, I'm asking you now to see this in a different light. These dancers were listening the the Giants for possibly the first time ever, and they liked it and danced to the music accordingly. Don't you think that's kind of nice? Hi, I'm Mark. I just joined the list today, and I must say it was the easiest time I ever had getting onto a list. I'm sixteen, I'm from TX, and I've been a fan for about two years. But on a more important note, can someone please tell me what the Giants are doing right now. I haven't heard the recentities of their huge tour... Has it started? Late, Mark P.S. I'm also on the mailing lists for XTC and Crash Test Dummies, but I hope this list is as hopping as the Edie Brickell list that my brother's on. On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, ILOVEMARTHASTEWART wrote: > > so I _too_ had an experience with tmbg outside today...coming home from > class i walked by The Crossing, a bar on the edge of campus complete with > a huge porch and blasting music, i suppose to 'entice' people. today, > unlike most, Twistin' was lofting from the weatherproof speakers. the frat > boys who make it their duty to keep the place in business were all dancing > around...so i went over and said, "hey, do you guys know who this is?" > in a curious tone. and their faces all blankly stared "no." sheesh! the > nerve of some people -- to dance to the Giants, but not even know their > name. my point (and plea) here is to anyone who is in a fraternity (or > sorority) to PLEASE educate your siblings on the finer things...teach them > the way of the Giants...it's your duty! that's all. > > Jillian A'Lee Buser woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu > http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb > Environmental Studies/Urban Planning The University of Kansas > ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ > > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 23:05:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403230358_-1670895243@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: My evil plan to rip you off. In a message dated 97-04-03 13:39:55 EST, Jesse.McClusky@PSS.boeing.com (McClusky, Jesse) writes: << via the CDNow link on the www.tmbg.org page, so They get credit for your business. (: Jesse >> Isn't it our beloved Leo that gets the credit? Joel ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 23:10:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970403230723_1118897453@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: yet another OMLT Yay! All that ranting paid off. I have 21 more orders now than I did three days ago. Keep it up, guys. I still need more. OMLT=Official Mailing List T-shirt. Visit http://omlt.home.ml.org to see the back design and http://www.foo.org/jon/listskull.jpg to see the little front pocket design. Want one of these stunningly beautiful articles of clothing? Well, who wouldn't?! Write to Christi587@aol.co and tell her... --Number and **sizes** of shirts desired --Name and shipping address --E-mail address used most Price will be about 9-10 dollars plus shipping.... While we're on the subject, you people sure are obsessed with money. No! BAD list members! Stop asking about pricing! I don't know what the exact final price will be, I don't know who to write the checks out to yet, I don't know when I will need the checks, I just don't know anything! So quit bugging me about it before I go dotty. (And, please, if you already did, don't write me a long letter asking for forgiveness, OK? The OMLT Goddess does not hold grudges. I absolve you all.) --Christy ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Yankovic/Excuse Me, Miss... Message-ID: <19970404.002511.4702.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 00:24:55 EST Not that this is important or anything, but does anyone agree with me that "Everything You Know Is Wrong" is the funniest song Wierd Al Yankovic ever did? I love that song! I laugh so hard every time I hear it. And yes, it does sort sound TMGBish, and I never thought of those TMBG references, but it's possible. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've turned off my hearing aid Don't say the electric chair's not good enough for king-lazy-bones like myself ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-94 *****************************