Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-95 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 95 Saturday, 5 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Phlans photos TMBG: RE: His evil plan.... Re: TMBG: poetry TMBG: Good Deal TMBG: used copy of TTEY TMBG: Hey all, I'm back, thoughts on then... TMBG: Vinyl Fever in Tally TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... TMBG: My tangled threads TMBG: Boston attendee. TMBG: Oh yeah, one more thing... Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 Re: TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff Re:*NON* TMBG: Mono puff TMBG: I Got THEN!!! Re: TMBG: used copy of TTEY Re: TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... TMBG: Intro! TMBG: RE: "Sucky music" TMBG: Fe-man RE: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: FS lopsided? TMBG: Three Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? RE: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Australian music/culture Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 Re: TMBG: Australian music/culture Re: TMBG: RE: "Sucky music" RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... Re: TMBG: Three TMBG: "Sucky music" Re: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Bootlegging TMBG: assorted OMLT stuff Re: TMBG: oh my goodness... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970404085006.009e7974@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 18:50:06 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Phlans photos Hey people, I just got two photos that my friend took after the Saturday night Sydney show... They are both of Flans and one of them he;s giving me two beers, but you can;t see me. :) (thank god) So, if anyone wants the two photos, I'll make up a list and email them to ya. Bye Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE: His evil plan.... Message-ID: <19970404.060136.14662.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 08:02:19 EST I'm sorry i was sooo rude about it, i just know that the Tower near me was selling prolly 4 of those last time i went and i was just trying to help out those poor unfortunate souls before they fell into some trade when they could go to a store near them and... oh well.... i started this evil thread and i am now OFFICIALLY stopping it. thank you, have a nice day "Momma said knock you out, Gary Hall Jr. was here" JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: poetry Date: 3 Apr 1997 16:36:29 GMT Message-ID: <5i0mad$h0$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <6675D788F@foobee.foo.hva.nl>, "Sandra Veldhuizen" <15876@foo.hva.nl> writes: > The only thing that keeps me going, is the fact that I am able to > read wonderfully beautiful funny and sweet poems in Dutch, AND YOU > CAN'T! Well, in fact, I can. Neem me daarvoor niet kwalijk. :) Bye, Daniel Amsterdam, The Netherlands ;) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970402050314.289fb012@mail.one.net> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 05:03:14 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Good Deal Last Christmas I bought a multitude of CDs for friends (Lincoln and Factory Showroom included, although I still do not own these myself) and I was asked if I were a member of the Replay Frequent Buying program. I looked at the $80 worth of CDs I was buying and said "Hmm, now would be an opportune time to join, wouldn't it?" So I joined and they gave me a big book of coupons. The coupon for April was "Buy any $13.99 CD for only $9.99." You know what? It's April. So I ventured into Musicland (Sam Goody for those of you elsewhere) hoping that there would actually be a CD priced at $13.99 (since the lowest I usually see is $15.99). So I head over to the "T" area, and behind a $26.99 THEN, I see Factory Showroom, Flood, The Pink Album and John Henry all priced at either $15.99. Then I see it. The only CD I wanted: Apollo 18, with a sticker saying $15.99, but with a hand-written label saying "Our price - $13.99." This is history in the making. I happen upon the first CD in 4 years to be priced at $13.99, and it just so happens to be the only one I was interested in buying! That, along with a copy of Factory Showroom coming toward me for the cost of shipping only (woohoo! can't beat two bucks!), rounds out my Elektra-era They collection rather nicely. But I think the cashier really likes to read fine print, because she spent an awful long time looking over the coupon. How long does it take to read what the markup code is and the expiration date? Ages, apparently. Sometimes I think it is worth paying the extra $4 just to get out of there. -Chris Combs * ----------------------------------- Hey, want to know how to get rid of the annoying "Can I help you find something?" record store employees? Just make up band names, or bands you know they will never carry. "Where's your Residents section? I'm looking for a band called 'Vaseline Alley.' How about the new Nero's Daughter album? Don't tell me you haven't heard of The Carpetbaggers." * ----------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704041615.AA07349@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: used copy of TTEY Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:15:19 -0500 (EST) There is a used copy of Then: The Earlier Years for the price of $14.99 at the Sound Garden if anyone is interested and hasn't picked it up already. I foolishly didn't check and bought it instead for $22 8-( Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:12:21 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <33454485.5857@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Hey all, I'm back, thoughts on then... Hey all. I just returned from France and thought I'd tell you all that and throw in my thoughts on Then... I didn't notice much remastering except on DLS and Polka and a few others. I think when the songs are good the quality doesn't matter as much. Having bought it the day it came out and listened to it for 20 hours of planes and airports both ways I know it pretty well. I enjoy all the "not new" songs though I'm waiting for the "Texas school teacher teaches his students how to sing card" to come out. Though any of you who have heard a song of mine at http://members.tripod.com/~Jeremyly know I don't have much room to talk. oh well. I think that is it. Or am I forgetting something.... Hey when did the look of tmbg.org change? I was just getting on to look through all the archived digests I missed. Well, maybe the songs I transcribed are up now too! byebye, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:34:42 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Vinyl Fever in Tally Message-ID: Of course, now that I already bought my stinkin' copy, Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee has it for only 22.99, and they have a buncha copies, too, and it's even in the new release shelf in the front. Dammit! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704041942.NAA04271@hp-9.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 13:42:40 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hola all. Just unlurking to say a few things. First, some TMBG related occurences. A few weeks ago I went to a party. Typical frat party except I actually enjoy the people (think it has something to do with the fact that they are all dorks like me: engineers and CS people). Anyway, I asked for some TMBG to be played and expected to hear "Birdhouse" or "Particle" or "Istanbul". Instead, the DJ (a friend) pulls out FS and says "What song?". So, we decide on Spiralling Shape and I end up the only dancing. Everyone else was milling around with that "What the HELL is this?" look on their faces. Oh well. Went to Circuit City to look at stuff yesterday and someone had T:TEY years in one of the computers and it was playing. Very cool. Also saw a 3 Stooges mousepad I am going to get. Way cool. I don't have Then yet, but am going to get it today. Only $19.99 at the local Exclusive Company, which seems quite nice compared to the $29.99 they want at Musicland. More Then: The paper I work for reviewed "Then" yesterday. It got a 10 and has been the first album to get a 10 all semester. The only problem I had was that the reviewer got some important things wrong, like Linnell started Hello and FS is the 7th album. Had to yell at the Entertainment Editor about that. And about the fact that I didn't get to review the album. And to go back to an old, old, way old thread: Did anyone else think that Linnell said "the greatest man" in "Particle Man" instead of "degraded man"? I did not even realize it until I read the lyrics (which was quite a while after listening to the song). On the Monopuff tip: Finally picked up "Unsupervised" this weekend. It seems like everyone thinks "Guitar was the Case" is some sort of spy-type song. I think it sounds more like surf. Just me I guess. The rest is pretty cool. Although I still can't figure out why "Tryptophane" was not included. That song rocks. And the obligatory responses to other peoples mail: Wyatt wrote: > About %60 of the sites had Istambul. > About %45 had Particle man > About %75 Had both of those Ummm, what? That is mathematically impossible. The most sites that could have both would be 45%. Just me being extremely picky (can you tell I was going to be a math teacher? Not going to do it anymore because I don't like writing on chalkboards) Jordan wrote: > how exactly do you plan on getting an interview with THem??? =) The best way would be to call their management company or their pr company. You can also call the record company, which I think is what happened when I got my interview with Them. Nicole, Wonder Nerd Extraordinaire, wrote: >Having recently come into possession of the studio version of the FS Where is everyone getting this stuff? I want one too. And the irrepressible KidInThHall wrote: >I love the World's Addy Remix. Glad to see that I am not the only one. Now, if I can just find someone who likes the "Devil" remix, I can be totally happy. Whewww! Aaron, who heard "Video Killed the Radio Star" and started dancing in the middle of the computer lab -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck The only thing I ever do on time is procrastinate. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:14:13 -0800 Actually, there's a local record store (forget the name of it) but it has a couple people working there who not only know who They are, but they make sure to keep in stock nearly every album, plus the singles. (: >---------- >From: > Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au[SMTP:Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VOD >AFONE.vodafone.telememo.au] >Sent: Thursday, April 03, 1997 7:37 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: oh my goodness... > > >You'll never guess what just happened (well, unless I tell you you won't... >but enough of my rambling) > >I just rang a record store to see if they were getting a copy of T:TEY in >and not only did the girl who answered the phone know who I was talking >about, she seemed HAPPY TO TAKE THE CALL??!!?!!!???!!!! This must be a red >letter day in the history of record stores. She'd better be careful though. >If her boss catches her being friendly to customers, she'll probably be in >trouble... > >Andrew Callaghan "oops, this was supposed to be in the middle" > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704042016.MAA11968@f31.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: My tangled threads Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 12:16:52 PST Howdy Listers! Then-I just now got it. i live in Oklahoma City and it's one of those special-order thingies. Gawd, it was worth the wait. My copy of Truth or Big Blue Dogs Ordering Pink Sandwiches was badly damaged after my apartment was broken into. I never had a copy of Lincoln on CD and my Misc. T was lost to the housebreakers. Then is a blessing. Oh, and the bonus tracks!!! I'm still glowing. TMBG dreams-I keep having them over and over. My best: John, John, and Brians Dewan and Doherty bought the house down the street and turned it into a commune for the disaffected and totally hip. Cortney, Linnellgirl, Jesse, and Christy the OMLT goddess moved in, among others. Cort was a slim brunette with glasses; Linnellgirl was short and blonde; Jesse was also blond; Christy was a redhead. I had dyed my hair turquoise for my friend Craig because it's his favorite color. Linnell was inpressed and wanted me to do his. In horror, I refused. But he begged me to at least give him some streaks. So I did. (His hair was very soft, for those who want to know.) Oh, and I was pregnant too. Very pregnant. We all shared the chores and I kept wondering what we'd do when the baby came. "Don't worry about it," said Flans," We'll all help take care of it. It'll be fun." It was a strange dream. I'm gonna start collecting these. April Fools Day postings- what was that all about? KU show- I know this is bit premature, but is anyone from the Oklahoma City/Tulsa/ texas region going to the KU show? My car is officially dead for good and I'd appreciate a ride. I'd chip in for gas, etc. See you guys Monday. Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:35:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970404153504_1984614126@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Boston attendee. My friends Bruce, Joe, and I will be at the Boston show. Unfortunately, due to the constraints of my hectic senior thesis film post-production schedule, we're only going for the day though we're driving in from New York. But, hey, anything for adventure, I say. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704042054.MAA08591@f14.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Oh yeah, one more thing... Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 12:54:39 PST Now i'm multiple-posting. So slap me with a splintered ruler.. MouseWorld news!!!! In leiu of a normal issue, I'm doing a humongozoid April/May/June issue. If anybody has some TMBG related stories, poetry, whatever, please email me at blooey@hotmail.com or go to my homepage at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 to get my snailmail addy /subscription info. As always, it's free, but we do accept donations. The mouse in Anastasia's Pocket Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it; There won't be a refund , you'll never go back The Spiralling Shape will make you go insane- but everyone wants to see that groovy thing...."TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970404160502.006cd6d4@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:05:02 -0500 From: Perry lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! At 06:06 PM 04/03/97 EST, you wrote: > Then Flans said that it was about time for us to >>go, since they had something to do, and then they pointed at a big puzzle >>that was on the floor. > > LOL!!! That's just *too* awesome. I'm sorry, I just had to share >my extreme delight at the mental image of John and John sitting around >with cups of coffee putting together a puzzel. :) > One thing i forgot to mention, at one point in the dream, Flansburgh spontaneously appeared in hot purple jogging pants, and a shirt that said, Harvard class of 45 in green letters on a yellow background. Linnel was wearing head to toe black. zink that selective memory thing really throws ya |Whee...|Simultaneous events don't happen...|Whee...| |Wooo...|...We are isolated temporally. |Wooo...| ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970404160628.006c96e8@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:06:28 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Hey, some may have noticed that on the news section of tmbg.com it says that there's a new Mono Puff album in the works.... anyone no any more about this then what it says on the web page? hmm? Oh yeah, I had a tmbg dream (not really...) I was pregnant, which was really weird, cause I'm male...... Random thought of the day: Michael Jackson Jr. Ahhh! :oO -ec ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:11:27 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 Message-ID: <1EF8F8E2ED0@elan.rowan.edu> On 4 Apr 97 at 2:04, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 02:04:49 -0500 > From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Reply-to: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 > Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ > Well this should have made you feel MUCH better about your situation. One must consider the source of such blasphamy! -Jerry -If worst comes to worst, we're all screwed. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:23:14 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff Message-ID: On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > And the irrepressible KidInThHall wrote: > >I love the World's Addy Remix. > Glad to see that I am not the only one. Now, if I can just find > someone who likes the "Devil" remix, I can be totally happy. HA! I love the Devil remix! Now we can all be happy! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:36:32 -0500 (EST) From: Elizabeth McGinley Subject: Re:*NON* TMBG: Mono puff Message-ID: Evan, darling, Micheal Jackson Jr is named Prince ( seriously) LIZ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:37:29 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970404155204.2bbfc8d6@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: I Got THEN!!! Hey I arrived home today and found that I had received T:TEY from my 2 very good friends in the US!!! WOW - Stoked or what! Thanks Wayne & Craig! I'll let ya know what I think later..... Joe -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:05:31 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: used copy of TTEY Message-ID: About how much of The Early Years is consisted of songs off of albums? Just wondering, Mark On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Matthew James wrote: > There is a used copy of Then: The Earlier Years for the price of > $14.99 at the Sound Garden if anyone is interested and hasn't picked it > up already. I foolishly didn't check and bought it instead for $22 8-( > Matt > -- > upcoming concerts: > TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 > TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 > "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way > Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James > polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu > Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America > "Cracking toast, Gromit!" > New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 4 Apr 97 17:15 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: parties/Then/reviews/Monopuff > And to go back to an old, old, way old thread: Did anyone >else think that Linnell said "the greatest man" in "Particle Man" >instead of "degraded man"? Hrm.. I knew it was "degraded man" from the start, but this might have something to do with the fact that I first saw it on Tiny Toons, and Plucky was having something degrading happen to him at the time. Actually, reading this brought back a memory I'd completely forgotten about: My little brother sitting with the remote, starting and stopping the video he'd taped of this episode, trying to write down all the lyrics to "Partical Man." :) He got them all, too, except for the "eon hand" part - seems like there was a sound effect that obscured the word. What a great kid... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704042232.RAA26359@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 4 Apr 1997 16:31:46 EDT Subject: RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... JE>Actually, there's a local record store (forget the name of it) but it JE>has a couple JE>people working there who not only know who They are, but they make sure JE>to keep in stock nearly every album, plus the singles. (: Must be nice. Of the five singles I own, I have had to go to St. Louis or Chicago to get four of them. WDTSS was the only one I have ever seen in any of the stores around here. It's hard to find the pink album, too. One of my friends has been looking for it for about a month. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970404222540.006bbaa0@pop.erols.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 17:25:40 -0500 From: claudia Subject: TMBG: Intro! HELLLOOOOOO TMBG'ers!! I am Claudia, of the few miamians who absolutely LOVE they might be giants. I have been a fan since i was a mere 13 years old, and that quite a while ago. On Valentines, my present was TMBG at the Irving Plaza and although I would've wanted to be there for the *Greatest Hits* concert, it was too long of a trip in too short a time. However, my boyfriend just bought tix to see them in Baltimore and all i can say is that this will be time #18 and every time, i get just a bit more fanatical! I FUCKING LOVE THEM!!!! Anyway, being a newbie, i'm probably going to linger for a while..get to know you guys and see what you talk about. but you are all more than welcome to email me and what not if you desire! All i can say is that Im most happy i finally joined the list and im even happier that i finally found tmbg fans :) HubbaBubbly yours, Claudia * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._ `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`) (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-' _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,' (il),-'' (li),' ((!.-' smellycat is simsh@erols.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/6972 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3218 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *The gene pool could use some chlorine.* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33458432.5FC8@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:44:02 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: RE: "Sucky music" AUGH! I let this girl borrow Lincoln, because she "wanted so see what the big thing about them is" (??). She brought it back today, and she said "I have your cd - I'll give it to in in class.. it SUCKED!" (and at this point I just froze there in my 2040 shirt and my jaw dropped. And all her friends were looking at me like "you listen to sucky music?") "It sucked so BAD! It was SO NERDY! It just SUCKED!" And she kept saying what stupid music it was. :P :P :P Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ SACRILEGE!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334586F3.3E@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:55:47 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Fe-man >. BUT WHEN I NEGLECT TO SAY >THAT *MY* NAME IS MIKE, AND THEY START TO SAY "Oh, >I wondered, because you didn't sound like a man!" I hate it when ppl do that! I have long hair and all through elementary school ppl would come up and say in an unnaturally high voice, "Hey, are you a boy or a girl?" (we all know how unmannered lil' kids are) and I'd just say "A boy" in my unnaturally low voice and walk away fuming. Just last year (when I was 13) some guy was talking to my dad and says to my sister and me, "Oh, and these are your girls?" "NO." is my answer. Oh well... it could be worse... I could have a female voice too... (no offense, Mike)... then I'd have to have my parents convince them, or carry around my birth certificate, or something stupid... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Mono Puff Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:11:47 -0800 >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ee.net] >Sent: Friday, April 04, 1997 1:06 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff > >Hey, some may have noticed that on the news section of tmbg.com it says >that there's a new Mono Puff album in the works.... anyone no any more >about this then what it says on the web page? hmm? It'll be out late fall this year. I can't remember the title off the top of my head though. Jesse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970404162339.006c8dd4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:26:30 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: FS lopsided? >So because Linnell wrote 7 songs and Flansburgh wrote 6 songs on Factory >Showroom, that makes it lopsided? hmmm I'm not sure what you are saying >here. Flans wrote 5 songs on FS, not 6. (I'm not counting TBTB (I don't know who wrote it) or NYC.) That makes it 7 Linnell songs to 5 Flans songs. If they'd included the unreleased songs, it would have been 9 sons apiece (not counting Older, which somebody told me was not written by either John but rather by Brian Dewan, of all people) and giving Rat Patrol to Flans. To wit: F L -- -- SEXXY TMHFO HCISLAG? EDG XTCvAA Metal Detector Pet Name YOWE I Can Hear You Spiraling Shape - JKP On The Drag TBAR Counterfeit Faker - Reprehensible Certain People Rat Patrol They Got Lost My point is that more Flans songs than Linnell songs were cut from FS. Admittedly, I had thought that the song distribution was much more lopsided than it was... thanks for calling me on that. :) >Hi, I'm Mark. I just joined the list today, and I must say it was the >easiest time I ever had getting onto a list. I'm sixteen, I'm from TX, >and I've been a fan for about two years. But on a more important note, >can someone please tell me what the Giants are doing right now. I haven't >heard the recentities of their huge tour... Has it started? Hi, Mark! *nicole waves* Right now the Giants are just finishing off the Far East leg of Their world tour; they're heading home and mostly giving concerts on the East Coast for the next few months. I dunno if They're going to TX any time soon; check the tour info at www.tmbg.com or www.pollstar.com and see. Looks like we may see a new TMBG album come summer (read:next spring). --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I won't die until I'm dead."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33459A7C.1265@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:19:08 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Three Yaaaay! Now that I atually have a clue about TMBG (this list has highly enlightened me and brought me to a higher level of Giant-Headedness), I've cut my subscription to the digest and subscribed to the list! Yaaaay! Uh, what else? Oh yeah, does anyone have a full-length WAV file of Ana Ng? I, regretfully, was a Tiny Toon offspring (I repent! I repent!) of They, and have burst into a full fanatic, but, also regretfully, wasn't recent enough to grab a copy of Lincoln or Misc. T. I just got like 30 seconds of the song from tmbg.com (unbelievably good quality sound, tho'), and I have the MIDI. I'm looking desperately for the whole song. Who can help? Thirdly, when are the list's messages sent? Beginning of the day? Whenever one is sent? Enlighten me further... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405022653.006884d0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 21:26:53 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? At 04:26 PM 4/4/97 -0800, you wrote: > >Flans wrote 5 songs on FS, not 6. (I'm not counting TBTB (I don't know who >wrote it) or NYC.) That makes it 7 Linnell songs to 5 Flans songs. If I'd chalk NYC under Flans, since it was originally planned to be covered by Mono Puff (and they played it in concert)... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405022657.00689504@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 21:26:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: RE: TMBG: Mono Puff At 03:11 PM 4/4/97 -0800, you wrote: > >It'll be out late fall this year. I can't remember the title off the >top of my head though. 'Imaginary Friend', IIRC...I know the phrase 'imaginary friend' appears in Felt Tip Pen, which will probably be on the album...is this an indication that FTP will be the first single off of the album? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970405024657.00ab43dc@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 12:46:57 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Australian music/culture >''They're into unpretentious music in general - they like their rock >straight, no chaser, and they somehow have mistaken us for an >unpretentious >band, and we don't have the nerve to tell them we're art-rockers. I dunno who he;s talking about here really. I'm guessing he's talking about all the crappy journalists who interview TMBG... Fans of them know what the go is... >It's a very >unneurotic culture. In some ways, imagine if California had turned out >OK. Hmmm... Never heard of the word unneurotic before, BUT!! I'm assuming he means brain dead. :) Not likely Mr. Flansburgh. >There's a lot of the beach-culture thing, but it's pretty urban. And it's >summer. Ah, how totally wrong!!! TMBG must have only seen the coast of Australian and not anything else!!! I mean, I haven't been to the beach for like over a year!!! Most Australians haven't!!! :) AH well... Perceive us as you will... BYE!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ From: Bellue@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 21:57:11 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970404215710_570798507@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream!!!! In a message dated 97-04-03 19:13:30 EST, mlee@planet.net (Perry lee) writes: << WOW! after reading everyone elses' dream's about TMBG, i finally had my own last night. >> I couldn't stand it, I just had to say something. What!!!!!! Are you sure that you were dreaming? You weren't day dreaming or on drugs or something---were you? I just find it hard to believe. Especially when I read the last part about Them and the puzzle, after coincidently reading yesterday that someone saw Them doing a puzzle. But if you say it's a dream....Ok :)' Anyway... I have been noticing alot lately that a few of you have been talking about Weird Al. I do not know what sort of connection he has with TMBG, but it did bring back some memories for me.... About 5 years ago I saw TMBG perform at a high school in LA. It was a fairly small auditorium and it was the first time I had ever seen Them. I thought, how odd it was for Them to perform at a high school. But, then again, that is what made it so unique! Anyway, while we were inside waiting for the show to start, (by the way, Young Fresh Fellows opened for Them :)) Weird Al sat down, about 5 seats away from me. It was so funny to see everyone form a line around the poor guy to get his autograph. But, still to this day, I have never figured out the connection.... will someone please 'splain to me? I feel like such an outsider....( sigh ) " But there's not a lot of things that she'll take back" --tmbg Bellue ;0 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970404230339.006d0230@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 23:03:39 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) >'Imaginary Friend', IIRC...I know the phrase 'imaginary friend' appears in >Felt Tip Pen, which will probably be on the album...is this an indication >that FTP will be the first single off of the album? Felt Tip Pen is such a cool song... I hope they keep in the grooovy trombone part, as seen on ATC July 4th.... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970404232159.00739ea4@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 23:22:02 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) >'Imaginary Friend', IIRC...I know the phrase 'imaginary friend' appears in >Felt Tip Pen, which will probably be on the album...is this an indication >that FTP will be the first single off of the album? Not really. If you recall, the first album was "Unsupervised" while the single was "Devil." =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 4 Apr 97 23:21 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 >> Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ >> > > Well this should have made you feel MUCH better about your >situation. One must consider the source of such blasphamy! Hey, I know a girl who is just starting to discover TMBG, and her all-time favorite musician is Michael Jackson... Other than that, she's a wondrous child. ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:39:48 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Australian music/culture Message-ID: I find that really hard to believe about how most Australians haven't been to the beach. Just about all the major cities are coastal, so what's up? Mark On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Very Fruity Indeed wrote: > >''They're into unpretentious music in general - they like their rock > >straight, no chaser, and they somehow have mistaken us for an > >unpretentious > >band, and we don't have the nerve to tell them we're art-rockers. > > I dunno who he;s talking about here really. I'm guessing he's talking > about all the crappy journalists who interview TMBG... Fans of them know > what the go is... > > >It's a very > >unneurotic culture. In some ways, imagine if California had turned out > >OK. > > Hmmm... Never heard of the word unneurotic before, BUT!! I'm assuming > he means brain dead. :) Not likely Mr. Flansburgh. > > >There's a lot of the beach-culture thing, but it's pretty urban. And it's > >summer. > > Ah, how totally wrong!!! TMBG must have only seen the coast of > Australian and not anything else!!! I mean, I haven't been to the beach for > like over a year!!! Most Australians haven't!!! :) AH well... Perceive > us as you will... > > BYE!! > Ad. > > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& > & Ironside & > & "...the 17th best band in the world" & > &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:43:05 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: "Sucky music" Message-ID: Disturbing story. All I can say is "I feel your pain." I get crap like that for many of the bands I like, including Them. -Mark P.S. However, if I was going to lend one of their cds to someone, I'd lend them John Henry. Just personal opinion though. On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > AUGH! I let this girl borrow Lincoln, because she "wanted so see what the > big > thing about them is" (??). She brought it back today, and she said "I > have > your cd - I'll give it to in in class.. it SUCKED!" (and at this point I > just > froze there in my 2040 shirt and my jaw dropped. And all her friends were > looking at me like "you listen to sucky music?") "It sucked so BAD! It > was SO > NERDY! It just SUCKED!" > And she kept saying what stupid music it was. :P :P :P > Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ > > SACRILEGE!! > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:53:25 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... Message-ID: I don't understand why anyone has a problem finding Their albums. I got the pink album (actually my brother got it for me) from Blockbuster Music. Look in Camelot, Musicland, or whatever underground stores are around you. They're out there! Mark On 4 Apr 1997 utopiaone@qconline.com wrote: > JE>Actually, there's a local record store (forget the name of it) but it > JE>has a couple > JE>people working there who not only know who They are, but they make sure > JE>to keep in stock nearly every album, plus the singles. (: > > Must be nice. Of the five singles I own, I have had to go to St. Louis > or Chicago to get four of them. WDTSS was the only one I have ever seen > in any of the stores around here. It's hard to find the pink album, > too. One of my friends has been looking for it for about a month. > > Chris > UtopiaOne@qconline.com > > > > > ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 23:53:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970404235354_182472728@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Three In a message dated 97-04-04 23:42:14 EST, you write: << Uh, what else? Oh yeah, does anyone have a full-length WAV file of Ana Ng? >> well, i don't right now, but i love making full length wavs of songs for people (yes, i'm insane :D).. so i'll do that tonite and send to ya.. if anyone else wants one for any reason, feel free to email me about it .. i also have full-length sleeping in the flowers and critic intro wavs :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3345DA92.21D8@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 20:52:34 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: "Sucky music" Hee hee... regarding someone's post regarding how someone ACTUALLY said They "sucked"... I have this poor unenlightened friend... he thinks he's a Gianthead, but he's really not... he just did it to follow me... he's one of those Beck/No Doubt/Tupac/Presidents ppl... all music I can't stand... argh... Oh well, that's what I get for picking "sucky music," eh? Oh yes, and disregard any previous comments 'bout Linny's e-mail address... it was an impersonater on AOL... *barf* -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:55:55 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: The interesting thing about Mike's baby is that it's going to grow up just a normal mulatto. That is, assuming, that Mike won't do the shopping for him. On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Hey, some may have noticed that on the news section of tmbg.com it says > that there's a new Mono Puff album in the works.... anyone no any more > about this then what it says on the web page? hmm? > > Oh yeah, I had a tmbg dream (not really...) I was pregnant, which was > really weird, cause I'm male...... > > Random thought of the day: Michael Jackson Jr. Ahhh! :oO > > > -ec > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3345DB69.47A1@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 20:56:09 -0800 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Bootlegging Whoever has a copy of Flans' infamous rock guitar expressionist's botch-up tape, I want a copy!! Send me email, please...! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"-genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * *"HOW did my signature file get so screwed up?" * * -Me * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 00:48:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405004857_-933728961@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: assorted OMLT stuff Let's clear something up: >Christi587 the OMLT person writes: >> >> OMLTs again. You're sick of reading them, I'm sick of writing them, so I'll >> keep it short. > >Actually, I'm sick of writing to you about this and getting no response. ... >I would feel more inclined to order one if you would ever return any >of my emails to you on the subject. Is anyone else having this problem? Because I would never purposely ignore someone's request for OMLT information. I have not received any mail from this person. I hope this is just a glitch in the AOL mail system, which is not known for its reliability. If anyone else isn't getting any responses from me when you ask OMLT questions, I want to know. Post to the list or have a friend mail me or something. (But don't just write to say that I never acknowledged your order... I will be doing that soon, see below) Remember, everyone keep watching for your OMLT confirmation, during the next day or two especially, because this weekend I will hopefully have enough time to send one to everyone who has already ordered... Anyway, OMLTs will be selling for just another week. I want to wrap this up and get it to the company. Send final orders to Christy@tmbg.org or Christi587@aol.com. Include --Name and mailing address --Number and size of shirts wanted --E-mail address used most Sorry, digest memebers. I don't know how those last two OMLT mailings got posted on the same day. I sent them on different days! Probably AOL mail acting up again... arrrgh! Kill AOL! Die die die! --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my goodness... Date: Sat, 05 Apr 97 23:26:06 PST | Must be nice. Of the five singles I own, I have had to go to St. Louis | or Chicago to get four of them. WDTSS was the only one I have ever seen | in any of the stores around here. It's hard to find the pink album, | too. One of my friends has been looking for it for about a month. | It's not only where you go, it's who you know... I've got hopelessly strange taste in music, and have managed to be quite successful in keeping my CD cabinet stocked... the trick is to find a local store (in Portland Ozone and Django's were my store's of choice... here in Seattle it's Cellophane Square in the U District), become their friend and get in their face... Whenever I know an album MAY be coming out that I want to purchase, I start pestering them immediately (When is that CD coming out? Do you know yet? I really want that CD?)... I'm always there the Tuesday it's SUPPOSED to come out asking for it. They get to know you, so will do things like rummage through boxes for you if they haven't unpacked their order yet, or special order things before they're released so there's no chance of it selling out before I make it in, and not making me pay the deposit they usually charge customers to do such things. They also humor me when I don't know what it is I want. ("I heard this song about a tree on the radio last night... I must own that CD")... and can usually help me figure out what I'm talking about, or will do things like search through all their vinyl/tapes/CD's with me to help me find the certain thing I'm looking for. It's all about the relationships. That reminds me... I need to start pestering them about the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack. I get to see the movie tomorrow night. YAY! Michelle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-95 *****************************