Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-96 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 96 Monday, 7 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: "Sucky music" TMBG: wav to mp3 (AGAIN!) TMBG: Older Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... Re: TMBG: assorted OMLT stuff Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? Re: TMBG: Australian music/culture non-TMBG: Manson haters TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show TMBG: puff stuff Re: TMBG: Older TMBG: Why *does* the sun shine? Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? TMBG: western md show NON TMBG: NYE Re: TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show TMBG: The deal with Live in NY! CD TMBG: Fake Out in the Phillippines RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... TMBG: Counterfeit Fake TMBG: They People are people too TMBG: 4/26 concert Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake NON-TMBG: Convertin' WAVs to MP3 SORTA NON-TMBG: Cub's NYC mp3! TMBG: Those guys Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters TMBG: Miscellany Re: TMBG: Those guys--> Candy Butchers Re: NON TMBG: NYE Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters TMBG: Tmbg/Beatles thing---mono puff: imaginary friend Re: TMBG: They People are people too semi-TMBG: Allen Ginsburg Re: TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show TMBG: Re: Counterfeit Fake TMBG: Dr. Spock's Back Up Band TMBG: CD Palindrom CD TMBG: Entertainment Weekly Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) TMBG: Hotel Detective Re: TMBG: Entertainment Weekly Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective TMBG: Re: CD Palindrom CD TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Back Up Band Re: TMBG: Those guys--> Candy Butchers --> ACK! Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?), Marilyn Manson Re: TMBG:John Henry Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake TMBG: I'm bored TMBG: sleepy time Non-TMBG: Dreaming Of Rabid Child TMBG: another Monopuff commercial TMBG: Unsubscribing TMBG: Unsubscribing TMBG: Boston show TMBG: boston 4-5 TMBG: OMLT comfirmation please Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul TMBG: The Boston show --- TAPED non-TMBG: Manson & other stuff TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul TMBG: SNZippers and maybe some tmbg TMBG: Ignore if you're sick of Manson topics... Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts TMBG: I'm a rare poster. I'm glued to the wall! The following is filled with SARCAM. Be warned. TMBG: Boston... and feeling Linnell's pain non-TMBG: we're on TV Ratings now? Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson Re: TMBG:John Henry TMBG: Bootleg List TMBG: OMLT-o-rama Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) TMBG: Boston concert report TMBG:Boston show setlist TMBG: Re: EKYIW Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson TMBG: Real World Re: NON-TMBG: TV Nation Re: TMBG:TMBG & Al (not again!) TMBG: D'oh! Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts NON-TMBG: TV Ratings Returned... Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson TMBG: DAMN!!!!!!!! (none) Re: TMBG: Boston concert report TMBG: "then" review TMBG:Upcoming show TMBG: thread twisting/ fan creation formula Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters TMBG: ANGNA.WAV TMBG: I'm back! (with some info and questions!) please read Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul Re: TMBG: Ignore if you're sick of Manson topics... Re: non-TMBG: we're on TV Ratings now? Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson TMBG: Hello, goodbye, peace TMBG: Jessica at the NBA Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson TMBG: Re: (none) TMBG: Hey, Ad! TMBG: concerts (horns) TMBG: TMBG on the air Re: TMBG: Hello, goodbye, peace Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405073733.006b1154@pworld.net.ph> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:37:33 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: Re: TMBG: "Sucky music" This is my first post here. I'm a net/list newbie but an old TMBG fan. I'd just like to react to the "sucky music" posts. Here in the Philippines, I have not met a Filipino also into TMBG. I don't know, but I think I'm the only one who actually has any of their albums because the rec companies don't release them here (I have to pester my brother in Boston to buy and send them). Some people may have heard of Ana Ng, or Istanbul, but that's about it. The good thing is Sexxy is getting some (and I mean some) airplay (like you can hear it once a month) which is better than nothing. However, when I play my TMBG compilation tape (takes from Lincoln, John Henry, Flood, Apollo 18) , in my car when people ride with me, they usually crack up and giggle at Istanbul, bop their heads to The Guitar, laugh out loud when the whip cracks in Minimum Wage, knot their eyebrows in disbelief at the vocal harmonizing of Dinner Bell, and come out of the car humming the refrain of They Might Be Giants. I think that's the thing, if you want an "outsider" to get hooked give him They's most catchy songs (plus, trap them in your car). The next best thing, I suppose would be to lend them Lincoln and Flood. Unfortunately, when I asked some of my "victims" their reactions towards the music, one said: "It's funny. It's cute. But I wouldn't want to listen to it everyday..." another said: "Was that from Nickelodeon?" and yet another "You're out of your mind listening to that." (So what if I'm out of my mind, I said) And let me tell you, the uninitiated I've "victimized" got terribly annoyed at "Particle Man" and "Cow Town." Well, you win some, you lose some. flippin' in the Philippines, Reggie Can anyone give me wav. files of songs not on Lincoln, John Henry, Flood, Apollo 18, the B-sides Compilation, or Factory Showroom? I would forever be indebted. ______________________________ "There's a fruitcake for everybody, There's a fruitcake in everyone, There are b-sides to every story, If you d-cide to have some fun..." The Eraserheads ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970405202902.007762b8@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 20:52:58 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: wav to mp3 (AGAIN!) ><< Uh, what else? Oh yeah, does anyone have a full-length WAV file of Ana > Ng? >> >well, i don't right now, but i love making full length wavs of songs for >people (yes, i'm insane :D).. so i'll do that tonite and send to ya.. if >anyone else wants one for any reason, feel free to email me about it >.. i also have full-length sleeping in the flowers and critic intro >wavs :) I reckon you convert the wav file to mp3 and make it about a tenth of the size... It's kind of like converting a bmp picture file to jpg. The size difference is sooooo huge!!!! BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & &http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 10:26:45 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405102644_-568403810@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Older Can someone please tell me an address where i could find the whole song of Older? some one posted a address that had it not to long ago.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405165703.0068bc84@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 11:57:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? At 11:42 PM 4/4/97 EST, you wrote: >>I'd chalk NYC under Flans, since it was originally planned to be covered by >>Mono Puff (and they played it in concert)... > > Actually, it was originally by Cub. So Flans didn't write it at >all.. I know that, and that's why I used the word 'covered' above. The TMBG version is significantly different from the Cub version, and I counted the changes made in NYC as being by Flans. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405165707.00689a44@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 11:57:07 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) At 11:22 PM 4/4/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Not really. If you recall, the first album was "Unsupervised" while the >single was "Devil." Hmm...that's right. I forgot about that. :P Anyone know why that was? 'Unsupervised', IMO, is a much better song and probably would've gotten more airplay. IIRC, Devil was a cover...was there some stipulation that if they covered it, they'd have to release it as a single? Just wondering, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:22:43 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-94 Message-ID: Michael Jackson doesn't entirely suck. Even I liked him when I was in the sixth grade. Marilyn Manson, however, I hate with a passion. They suck, so they exploit nastiness and fagactivity to reach the level of sensationalism that so many people love. It makes me sick, and I honestly wish someone would kill them. -Mark On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >> Well, she likes Marylin Manson and Green Day...and Michael Jackson... :\ > >> > > > > Well this should have made you feel MUCH better about your > >situation. One must consider the source of such blasphamy! > > Hey, I know a girl who is just starting to discover TMBG, and her > all-time favorite musician is Michael Jackson... Other than that, she's a > wondrous child. ;) > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704051746.MAA12603@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 5 Apr 1997 11:47:28 EDT Subject: RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... GO>I don't understand why anyone has a problem finding Their albums. I got GO>the pink album (actually my brother got it for me) from Blockbuster GO>Music. Look in Camelot, Musicland, or whatever underground stores are GO>around you. They're out there! GO>Mark I found all of the albums OK. I'm just stuck on a couple of the singles. It's my friend wiith the problem finding the Pink album. I've been keeping an eye out for it for her and I've only seen it once or twice in the last month. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704051752.MAA10488@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: assorted OMLT stuff Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:52:46 -0500 (EST) I need to apologize for falsely impugning Christy. She assures me that she has not received any of my copious emails to her, and that is why she has not responded. Apparently, the problem stems from some diabolical AOL corporate plot to sabotage the OMLT project... Sorry, Christy! m@t AOL(v): to malfunction or behave unreliably AOL(n): the embodiment of all that is evil in the world ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 12:57:12 -0500 From: Don Glasgow Subject: Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? Message-id: <3.0.32.19970405125712.0069ba1c@ic3.ithaca.edu> Does anyone have a sample wav of the NYC by Cub? I am VERY curious to hear it!! Thanks! -Don At 11:57 AM 4/5/97 -0500, Adam Tyner wrote: >At 11:42 PM 4/4/97 EST, you wrote: >>>I'd chalk NYC under Flans, since it was originally planned to be covered by >>>Mono Puff (and they played it in concert)... >> >> Actually, it was originally by Cub. So Flans didn't write it at >>all.. > >I know that, and that's why I used the word 'covered' above. The TMBG >version is significantly different from the Cub version, and I counted the >changes made in NYC as being by Flans. > >TTYL, > >-Adam >/----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! >ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:23:29 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Australian music/culture Message-ID: On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > I find that really hard to believe about how most Australians haven't been > to the beach. Just about all the major cities are coastal, so what's up? > Mark > > > Ah, how totally wrong!!! TMBG must have only seen the coast of > > Australian and not anything else!!! I mean, I haven't been to the beach for > > like over a year!!! Most Australians haven't!!! :) AH well... Perceive > > us as you will... I love the Australian Perception- you mean, they all don't live in the outback, eating steaks and bloomin' onions, running around killing alligators and surfing? I don't believe it! Ha! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704051827.NAA13150@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 5 Apr 1997 12:28:04 EDT Subject: non-TMBG: Manson haters GO>Michael Jackson doesn't entirely suck. Even I liked him when I was in the GO>sixth grade. Marilyn Manson, however, I hate with a passion. They suck, GO>so they exploit nastiness and fagactivity to reach the level of GO>sensationalism that so many people love. It makes me sick, and I honestly GO>wish someone would kill them. GO>-Mark I guess someone tried to do just that when he (?) was here in the Quad Cities. After the concert, some girl went up to talk to him and put her cigarette out in his eyes and scratched the hell out of him. I hate Marilyn Manson too. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704051832.NAA18327@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:27:04 +0000 Subject: TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show I got my tickets for the 4/24 show at St. Joe's University and noticed that the Violent Femmes got first billing and much larger letters. Who is opening for who? Are they playing together? I need to know! I'd appreciate it if you emailed me directly as well as the list (incase someone else cares). Thanks. -Ben ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:34:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405133449_808187938@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: puff stuff Ok all, I got my hands on 2 Promo copies of Mono Puff's Unsupervised, of course I want to add one to my collection but will trade the other one, let me know if your interested and what you'd have to trade. Does anyone know if there is any other Puff Cd singles besides the Devil one I have that contains Oddball, Tryptophane, and Devil remix (of course the normal Devil is on it too) Also got a Promo single of BNL- Alternative Girlfriend which I could trade as well. Anyone else going to the Metro shows in Chicago?? I bought tickets for both but don't know yet whether I'll make either one yet!, I hope to make both since Metro is a great place to see a show! I saw Midnight Oil there in October. Also, I started collection Dewan stuff in addition to my huge They list so anyone wanting to trade BD, let me know!!! Todd ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33469C95.75BD@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 12:40:21 -0600 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: Re: TMBG: Older Tmbgneat@aol.com wrote: > > Can someone please tell me an address where i could find the whole song of > Older? > some one posted a address that had it not to long ago.... That'd be my page. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/2860/index.html Its got older, On the Drag, Counterfeit Faker, and Rat Patrol up now, in .wav and .ra formats. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:37:09 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Why *does* the sun shine? Message-ID: Today on Bill Nye the Science Guy, the topic was -- you guessed it -- the sun! A couple of times he almost quoted the song, but then turned words around or whatever. It was pretty neat, I knew a lot of the answers before he said them! Bill is amazing :) I'd have liked science so much more if he'd been my teacher....not to mention I'd have had a huge crush on him ;) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Helpful hint: If you're bidding on a job for UPS, don't send your bid by FedEx. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4nFewr_00iWl079mk0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 14:59:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Apr-97 Re: TMBG: FS lopsided? by Don Glasgow@ic3.ithaca.e > Does anyone have a sample wav of the NYC by Cub? I am VERY curious to hear > it!! Thanks! I think the video is still available at http://mintrecs.com follow the various cub links and you'll find it. Also, http://www.io.org/~cygnals/cub/cubhome.html has a link to a RealAudio file of the entire song. ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704052002.AA12455@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: western md show Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:02:31 -0500 (EST) I didn't call for tix for the Western MD show as I was waiting for my friend to get them, but he says that the show is sold out. Is this true? If so, might anyone have an extra ticket? I'm gonna try to call sometime this weekend or else on Monday and try and find out more information. Thanks, Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:04:06 -0500 (EST) From: MIKE Subject: NON TMBG: NYE Message-ID: Beakman's World is so much cooler though! shoehorn with teeth > Today on Bill Nye the Science Guy, the topic was -- you guessed it -- the > sun! A couple of times he almost quoted the song, but then turned words > around or whatever. It was pretty neat, I knew a lot of the answers > before he said them! Bill is amazing :) I'd have liked science so much > more if he'd been my teacher....not to mention I'd have had a huge crush > on him ;) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 14:59:20 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show Message-ID: <19970405.151627.12366.0.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) On Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:27:04 +0000 "Ben Greenberg" writes: >I got my tickets for the 4/24 show at St. Joe's University and >noticed that the Violent Femmes got first billing and much larger >letters. Who is opening for who? Are they playing together? I need >to know! I'd appreciate it if you emailed me directly as well as the >list (incase someone else cares). Thanks. > >-Ben > I live in the Phila. area, How do i go about getting tickets? Any help would be appreciated ;) -Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:16:26 PST Subject: TMBG: The deal with Live in NY! CD Message-ID: <19970405.151627.12366.1.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) Hiya everyone, I've seen a lot of discussion and confusion about what exactly the Live in NY! CD is. Well, I just borrowed it from my friend Dennis who had gotten it 2 years ago form a DJ friend of ours. The Live in NY! CD (10/14/94) is a PROMO CD from electra. (AKA not for resale, never intended to be). Electra PRCD 9083-2 to be exact. The CD is Live from the Sony music ctr., It was produced to broadcast on radio. The last track is 26. Cepastat Spot, a radio spot saying "TMBG brought to you by Cepastat. Twice in the CD a girl comes on and says "We'll be right back" then it fades, the Next track is "Welcome Back", These are the spaces for radio commerical breaks. Eventually some of the songs ended up as bonuses to the australian JH release. Finding it in used CD stores (who regularly sell these promo cd things) would now be a miracle since it was pressed in small quantity once. It was probably only meant to be distributed to radio stations so they could play the entire show or just a track or two. Just wanted to clear that up, hope that answers everyone's questions about it. p.s. I'm trying to get a friend who has access to a cd burner to make me a copy, if i am able to do this, i'll try to make as many cd copies as i can and offer them to anyone who wants to pay shipping. Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Fake Out in the Phillippines Message-ID: <19970405.113838.7535.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:28:18 EST reg@pworld.net.ph wrote: >Here in the Philippines, I >have not met a Filipino also into TMBG. Shock of all shocks! I am Filipino and I heart TMBG! But I know what you mean, most Filipinos tend to follow one another, which means hip-pop and dance galore. Asian and Pacific islander Giantheads, stand up and be proud. Larry "Who needs the Kwikie-Mart?" - Apu Nahasapeenapetilon http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 14:41:52 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: RE: TMBG: oh my goodness... Message-ID: That sucks. It's my favorite TMBG album next to John Henry. On 5 Apr 1997 utopiaone@qconline.com wrote: > GO>I don't understand why anyone has a problem finding Their albums. I got > GO>the pink album (actually my brother got it for me) from Blockbuster > GO>Music. Look in Camelot, Musicland, or whatever underground stores are > GO>around you. They're out there! > GO>Mark > > I found all of the albums OK. I'm just stuck on a couple of the > singles. It's my friend wiith the problem finding the Pink album. I've > been keeping an eye out for it for her and I've only seen it once or > twice in the last month. > > Chris > UtopiaOne@qconline.com > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33466860.4D29@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 14:57:38 +0000 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake Having not had the pleasure of hearing "Counterfeit Faker" in the Giants recent live show, I want to know if it is the same or completely different from "Counterfeit Fake" on Then? Everybody have a Charlie Brown Sno-Cone Machine Day, Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis GIANTS IN ST. LOUIS ON MAY 1st!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33466A15.5047@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:04:55 +0000 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: They People are people too Hi They Friends, Sorry about the second post, but my email has been down for days and I'm just getting my head on straight. Thanks to everybody who helped me with the JKPolk stamps. I'm going to go to the post office and try to get some on Monday. Anyway, the gist of my message is this: What if we coordinated some cyber-gift package to send to new TMBG-listers. Download them something cool and make them feel welcome. I don't know, it might be totally unreasonable, but it's an idea. Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis Einstein's Employee (Hot bagels comin' up!) Moxy Fruvous Thursday! Giants May 1st! My life is complete. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: 4/26 concert Message-ID: <19970405.161931.8654.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 16:18:57 EST I posted about this before but got no reply so I'm doing it again. Is anyone going to the concert at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio on April 26? If so, how do I get tickets? Is there a number I can call? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3346DBDA.493F@swbell.net> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:10:18 -0800 From: the Earl of Glockenspiel Organization: Harold T. Nutsacks' Fine Used Motors Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters >fagactivity Is this some sort of new adjective i should be aware of? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970405212322.0067e434@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 16:23:22 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake They're completely different, although they have really similar names. Counterfeit Faker (I can send you a RealAudio file of it if you want; I think I have a copy on disk somewhere) is a country-type song... Pretty bizarre. :> TTYL, -Adam At 02:57 PM 4/5/97 +0000, you wrote: >Having not had the pleasure of hearing "Counterfeit Faker" in the Giants >recent live show, I want to know if it is the same or completely >different from "Counterfeit Fake" on Then? > >Everybody have a Charlie Brown Sno-Cone Machine Day, > >Peace in John and John, >Billy from St. Louis > >GIANTS IN ST. LOUIS ON MAY 1st!! > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:25:59 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405162557_417299544@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: Convertin' WAVs to MP3 Could anyone please point me to a Windows program that converts WAVs to MP3s, so that I could NOT make mp3s of the x-tra songs on "TMBG 1996:The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions"? The one that I found crashes or screws up every time I run it. Tank ya much! -Geoff ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:36:44 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405163640_1320263654@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: SORTA NON-TMBG: Cub's NYC mp3! Hi again! I found an .mp3 of cub's version of "New York City", at ftp://198.82.89.54 It's in the"cub" folder (well duh). Bye again! -Geoff ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark Man In Trouble" Subject: TMBG: Those guys Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:01:18 -0500 Message-Id: <199704052209.3182400@rma.edu> Does anyone know the name of the guys who have opened for TMBG twice at the 9:30 club? Those freaky lookin' dudes who sang that "You dont say you wouldnt say...IT HURTS ALOT!" song? I thought they didnt suck. --Cpdog ------------------------------ From: "Andrew J. Chapman" Organization: the Nostradamus Glee Club Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:03:11 -0500 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: <19970405220222613.AAA104@dh-8.rn1.myna.com> I, however, like Marilyn Manson, but seeing as this is a TMBG mailing list, any further conversation on the subject is off topic. :) > I guess someone tried to do just that when he (?) was here in the > Quad Cities. After the concert, some girl went up to talk to him > and put her cigarette out in his eyes and scratched the hell out of > him. I hate Marilyn Manson too. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder|Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who rob or plunder|Heckler Extraordinaire Underdog. Underdog!|AJChapman@myna.com http://www.myna.com/~chapman ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:34:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405173411_-501416066@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Miscellany An update on Christy's William Allen White Xeroxing story from many moons ago: Being a junior in high school I get lots of mail from colleges that love me, and one that I didn't actually throw out was from a place called St. Jospeh's, a Jesuit school somewhere in Pennsylvania that sounded pretty un-thrilling...However, Christy got one too, y'see, and kindly pointed out to me that there was a photo in it of a guy wearing the TMBG shirt designed by what'shisfuck, the drummer from Meat Puppets. I decided the picture was destined for a spot on my wall, except the guy had a slightly dippy look on his face and his shoes weren't very cool. Well, her first little xerox of William Allen White turned out to be the perfect size to stick on top of the dippy guy's face. Woo hoo, I thought. and today I found a picture of a kid wearing purple Converse hightops, so now his shoes are cool. Also: i don't believe we've heard whether any of you silly people besides myself are going to the Western MD show. and is this going to be one of those groovy Them-opening-for-themselves shows? Inquiring meese want to know. moose "if every man is made of two opinions and every woman has a second half, does that make me...tetrasexual?" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:26:17 -0500 Message-Id: <199704052326.SAA19096@smtp3.erols.com> From: SadlyBear Subject: Re: TMBG: Those guys--> Candy Butchers --Cpdog wrote: <> They're the candy Butchers. I recently made a tape for someone with some of their songs and she absolutely loved the Candy Butchers the most, surprisingly.. The candy Butchers are catchy, cutesy and funn and no they don't suck, but thats about it really. Mike Viola has a neat voice though. Ellen Kao ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== "You are the ghost town, and I am the heartland." ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:05:24 -0600 (CST) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: NON TMBG: NYE Message-Id: > > Beakman's World is so much cooler though! > yeah, but bill nye is on everyday, followed by Krats Creatures, and you can't beat that combo! power to the science people! :) jillian ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:43:56 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: I made it up as I wrote that message. That's what strong hatred will do to you. On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, the Earl of Glockenspiel wrote: > >fagactivity > > Is this some sort of new adjective i should be aware of? > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:48:00 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: Hehe. That reminds me of how right now some people on the Crash Test Dummies mailing list are getting pissed off just because we've talked a little about XTC (There's absolutely NO Dummy news right now.). Anyway, that's cool. We can agree not to talk about them. -Mark P.S. My best friends are huge Marilyn fans. On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Andrew J. Chapman wrote: > I, however, like Marilyn Manson, but seeing as this is a TMBG mailing > list, any further conversation on the subject is off topic. :) > > > I guess someone tried to do just that when he (?) was here in the > > Quad Cities. After the concert, some girl went up to talk to him > > and put her cigarette out in his eyes and scratched the hell out of > > him. I hate Marilyn Manson too. > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- > Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder|Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. > Fighting all who rob or plunder|Heckler Extraordinaire > Underdog. Underdog!|AJChapman@myna.com > http://www.myna.com/~chapman > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Tmbg/Beatles thing---mono puff: imaginary friend Message-ID: <19970405.175537.12934.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 19:57:07 EST okay, a while back (a long while back... prolly late december or early january) there was this whole thread about how linnell was constantly getting sick and it always seemed that flans was the only one that could ever make it to any of Thier interviews and stuff. and then someone said they were trying to pull a beatles thing when they did the whole "paul is dead" subliminal message. well, i dunno but i saw a pic of one of the beatles (i think it was JOhn Lennon, ironically enough) in a NEW YORK CITY SHIRT!!! it was crzified... i guess i just thought of NYC when i saw it and then i remembered the whole thread about it awhile ago. Mono Puff's imaginary firend... hmm.... reminds me of a little song by Bloodhound Gang... it's all about mr. rogers. it's pretty funny you guys should check it out! Someone said: P.S. However, if I was going to lend one of their cds to someone, I'd lend them John Henry. Just personal opinion though. i agree with you. it seems as though this CD is the most newbie-friendly. although, flood does seem to be the one that the newbie's like... No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (jordan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970405174553.006c2a38@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 17:45:53 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: They People are people too At 03:04 PM 4/5/97 +0000, you wrote: >Hi They Friends, >Sorry about the second post, but my email has been down for days and I'm >just getting my head on straight. >Thanks to everybody who helped me with the JKPolk stamps. I'm going to >go to the post office and try to get some on Monday. this reminded me, on president's day they said something like the first stamp[ was issued during Polk's term... or something like that. Maybe that was the point of this whole thread, were they like commemorative stamps? -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:21:18 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: semi-TMBG: Allen Ginsburg ...the American beat poet died this morning. Most of the TV broadcast obituaries play some version of his work 'Howl', which listies will recognize as the words at the beginning of "I Should be Allowed to Think". -Bob ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: April 24 Philadelphia Show Date: Sun, 06 Apr 97 18:58:26 PDT | | On Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:27:04 +0000 "Ben Greenberg" | writes: | >I got my tickets for the 4/24 show at St. Joe's University and | >noticed that the Violent Femmes got first billing and much larger | >letters. Who is opening for who? Are they playing together? I need | >to know! I'd appreciate it if you emailed me directly as well as the | >list (incase someone else cares). Thanks. | > | >-Ben | > | I live in the Phila. area, How do i go about getting tickets? | Any help would be appreciated ;) | | -Peter | ohlert@juno.com | I live nowhere near Philadelphia, but would be willing to call in dead to work and hijack a plane to see the Femmes and the Giants in concert together.... They Might Be Giants could cover Dahmer's Dead, andViolent Femmes could cover How Can I Sing Like a Girl?... Oh God, I'd die! Michelle "May your beer be tasty and your food spicy" --dm ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 20:55:20 -0500 From: "Brian B." Message-ID: <33470288.6E29@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Counterfeit Fake Bill J. Michalski wrote: > > Having not had the pleasure of hearing "Counterfeit Faker" in the Giants > recent live show, I want to know if it is the same or completely > different from "Counterfeit Fake" on Then? > > Everybody have a Charlie Brown Sno-Cone Machine Day, > > Peace in John and John, > Billy from St. Louis > > GIANTS IN ST. LOUIS ON MAY 1st!! totally different. get then. -- Brian B. (Faboo23) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 21:04:23 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Back Up Band Message-ID: Hey/hay, I just remembered something that I was going to post Thursday when I got home from my friend's house but FORGOT about until right now. I was over at my friend Andrea's house listening to some old records she had when she said, "Here, listen to this and tell me who you think it is. Your hint is that it is definitely not someone who you would think of as a singer." So I listened for a while and gave up. She said, "It's Leonard Nimoy!!!" This rolled around in my head for a while. So a bit later we discarded the turntable in favor of CDs and put on Flood. We got to "They Might Be Giants" and it hit me. "DR. SPOCK'S BACK UP BAND!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!" Imagine my surprise. It was an interesting day of revelations. Do you suppose...... Nah..... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970405184751.2a9f6794@mail.one.net> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:47:51 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: CD Palindrom CD I just bought Apollo 18 the other day, and I listened to it straight through a few times, and it's been on shuffle ever since. Now, I am curious if this happens to anyone else. My CD goes through a palindrome motion, i.e. it will play a song, play another song (this one being the last in the cycle), then play the previous song to restart. For example: It just played "Dig My Grave" as the second to last song. Then, as the last song, it played the "I Hear The Wind Blow" Fingertip, then it started a new shuffle with "Dig My Grave." Does anybody else experience weird things when they have this CD in shuffle? -Chris Combs * --------------------------------------- It also played "Please Pass The Milk" followed by "Mammal." * --------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 21:27:47 -0500 (EST) From: Ann Priestman Subject: TMBG: Entertainment Weekly Message-id: Here's what Entertainment Weekly had to say about Then: They Might Be Giants--Then: The Earlier Years This 72-song compilation-incorporating TMBG's first three albums, previously unreleased oddities, and droll autobiographical notes-chronicles the duo's maturation from resourceful do-it-yourselfers to canny artistes. Their eclectic yet accessible material still sounds fresh, embodying the blend of braininess and whimsicality that's the key to the pair's appeal. B+ (Which is pretty good in Entertainment Weekly) -Ann Is anyone else trying very hard to memorize Greek #3? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 21:27:27 -0500 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <33470A0F.5804@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Adam Tyner wrote: > > At 03:11 PM 4/4/97 -0800, you wrote: > > > >It'll be out late fall this year. I can't remember the title off the > >top of my head though. > > 'Imaginary Friend', IIRC...I know the phrase 'imaginary friend' appears in > Felt Tip Pen, which will probably be on the album...is this an indication > that FTP will be the first single off of the album? > > TTYL, > > -Adam > /----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 Well, the first album was "Unsupervised," from "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" and that, despite being the coolest song on the album(in my opinion, anyway), was never a single. Not that that really means anything, just thought I'd point it out.:-) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 21:32:36 -0500 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <33470B44.3DC5@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Felt Tip Pen (was RE: Mono Puff) Jeff Morrow wrote: > > >'Imaginary Friend', IIRC...I know the phrase 'imaginary friend' appears in > >Felt Tip Pen, which will probably be on the album...is this an indication > >that FTP will be the first single off of the album? > > Not really. If you recall, the first album was "Unsupervised" while the > single was "Devil." > > =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== > ======== > jmorrow@voicenet.com > They Might Be Bootlegs @ > http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html > ============================================================================ > ======== Opps... I just pointed that out, too. Maybe I should read ALL the replys to a message before I reply myself...:-) (Uh, really, I'm not an idiot... this was just a little slip.. really!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:42:04 -0800 (PST) From: seKretlY caucASIAN Subject: TMBG: Hotel Detective Message-ID: Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? John, sasn jkwhite@sdcc13.ucsd.edu Restless releases new compilation: SEXXXY- The Klinefelter Years ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 20:56:49 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Entertainment Weekly Message-ID: > Here's what Entertainment Weekly had to say about Then: > > They Might Be Giants--Then: The Earlier Years > [clip most of review] > to the pair's appeal. B+ (Which is pretty good in Entertainment Weekly) That is indeed a pretty good rating...Entertainment Weekly (in my experience) saves their A's and B's for stuff like Celine Dion. But they did give Apollo 18 (I have the review somewhere at home, but I'm not sure where) an A-, I believe. I'm still working on the survey web page...damn, I'm slow. Sorry for those of you who have been waiting. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And you're my fact checkin' cuz..." --Pavement ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 22:03:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405220316_-736101503@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective << Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? >> Well, according to the newsletter (I think), it's Linnell's voice sped up to sound higher, but when they do it live, it's Flans. And it's a treat to see, too! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 22:33:09 -0800 From: Steve Zurell Message-ID: <334743A5.4A43@snet.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: CD Palindrom CD I've had some very wierd experiences with shuffle and TMBG discs. When I put in "Then:The Earlier Years" it played both versions of some songs right after each other(i.e. Don't Let's Start and the original version, Number Three and Greek Numbre Three, Hope That I Get Old Before I Die and the original version) This freaked me out majorly! I almost crapped my pants, things like that aren't easily repeated, I concider myself very fortunate. Which describes how you're feeling all the time... Steve -- mailto:steve-z@snet.net "You can lead an idiot to logic but you can't make him think." "Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe." Kurt Vonnegut ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33471298.6563@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 20:03:54 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Two things this time around: One, all you ppl out there who don't post on the List, post! I know there are more of you than just Nicole, Shoehorn, Me, Sneepy, and a few others who I can't name on the spot! Just send a message to "tmbg-list@tmbg.org". Two, how many ppl noticed the rubber band twanging in Spiralling Shape? It's actually used a a percussion instrument... almost... So I was sitting here with my can of Jolt (yeahyeah, IlikeJolt!) twanging the lid, and listening to Spiralling Shape, when it hit me! For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, take a pop can, pry the lid up so it's still firmly attached but so it's about 1/4 inch from the can, and twang it! It makes a neat noise... oh yeah, and feel free to send me any sites with the full Ana Ng wav (or au or mp3 or whatever) or the "Rock Guitar Expressionist" incident with Flans... or just send me the file for that matter. But I want the full song of Ana Ng, not that lame little 30 sec. clip. ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:23:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405232329_1883744220@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters ["manson should die" post and "someone attacked mm" post snipped] aw, that's not very nice. i've never found the mooing of cows particularly melodic, but i don't go up to them and burn a cigarette in their eyes (well, i *do* eat them, but that's another story).. anyway, the moral of this story is- most of marilyn manson's appeal isn't in their music, but don't hate them just for having less integrity than other bands- to each their own, y'know? :) -levi ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:30:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970405233046_989378691@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Subject: Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective Message-ID: I don't know which one it was, but I know They used a synthesizer or something to raise the pitch. You didn't think he was actually singing that high! On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, seKretlY caucASIAN wrote: > Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She > Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? > > John, sasn > jkwhite@sdcc13.ucsd.edu > > > Restless releases new compilation: SEXXXY- The Klinefelter Years > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3346F475.A8D@baka.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 00:55:17 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry > P.S. However, if I was going to lend one of their cds to someone, I'd > lend them John Henry. Just personal opinion though. Yeah. John Henry is kind of an intermediate "middle ground" album between the Lincoln/First Album type of outrageous music we know and love, and the outside world seems to hate(my friends are truly disturbed by how much I enjoy 32 footsteps and they'll need a crane) and regular old "alternative rock"(god I hate that phrase). I mean, there's very little accordion, distorted guitars, power chords, not much synth buuut... it's still ultra-catchy, has brilliant lyrics, and in general is a great album. John Henry is the album I use to show my friends who have heard nothing but Istanbul and Particle man that TMBG are NOT a "funny joke band" or anything at all like Weird Al Yankovic. -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton and again I'll ask in a gratouitously non TMBG-fashion if anyone can privately e-mail me and tell me which Pavement album would be the best to buy first. There are at least a couple pavement fans on this list. halp me out. Jonah, who's been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to his life ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 00:20:29 -0500 Message-Id: <199704060520.AAA00312@backup.MNSi.Net> From: John DeMarco Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Back Up Band >had when she said, "Here, listen to this and tell me who you think it is. >Your hint is that it is definitely not someone who you would think of as >a singer." So I listened for a while and gave up. She said, "It's Leonard >Nimoy!!!" >Flood. We got to "They Might Be Giants" and it hit me. "DR. SPOCK'S BACK >UP BAND!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!" Imagine my surprise. >It was an interesting day of revelations. Do you suppose...... Nah..... > Leonard Nimoy is Mr. Spock. Dr. Spock is the pediatrician. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 00:58:02 -0500 (EST) From: apatte2@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: Those guys--> Candy Butchers --> ACK! Message-id: On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, SadlyBear wrote: > > --Cpdog wrote: > > < 9:30 club? Those freaky lookin' dudes who sang that "You dont say you > wouldnt say...IT HURTS ALOT!" song? I thought they didnt suck.>> Upon seeing this I was EXTREMELY frightenend. "Please, please, PLEASE tell me you don't mean Goatboy?!?!" (cue: painful flashbacks) I hope you really do mean the Candy Butchers, whoever they are b/c [name too horrendous to repeat] does suck, in the worst sense of the word. In fact, if I recall correctly, most people were turned the opposite direction from the stage during their set. Had I been carrying a deck of cards or a game of trivial pursuit, my ass woulda been doing something worthwhile instead of putting myself through hell (although the comments about said band from some hatted guy a ways in front of me were fairly amusing...) Needless to say, I do not reccommend Goatboy *shudder* to anyone, especially if you value your own well-being. Autumn (c= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 00:16:18 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: There's actually more to it than that. One example is that the "singer" in one interview said that it would like for everyone in the world to be exposed to their "music." I don't know about you, but I don't want to have young, easily influenced children listening to a bunch of ass-holes glorifying homosexuality, raw crudeness, and just the overall bull shit that they love to exploit. This is just a small example. To each his or her own, yes, except for the band that has a t-shirt out with a big picture of the singer taking a shit on the front. Thank you, and can we stop talking about them and start talking about Them?? 8) -Mark On Sat, 5 Apr 1997 LeviAdams@aol.com wrote: > ["manson should die" post and "someone attacked mm" post snipped] > > aw, that's not very nice. i've never found the mooing of cows particularly > melodic, but i don't go up to them and burn a cigarette in their eyes (well, > i *do* eat them, but that's another story).. anyway, the moral of this story > is- most of marilyn manson's appeal isn't in their music, but don't hate them > just for having less integrity than other bands- to each their own, y'know? > :) > > -levi > ------------------------------ From: KyeserSoze@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 01:29:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970406012912_1353541968@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?), Marilyn Manson >...post! I have nothing interesting to say. See? Actually, and this is non-TMBG: With all this Marilyn Manson talk, I figure I'll share this little tidbit with everyone. The Church of Satan (yes, it's an actual church) has been renamed (although this is not from a primary source) "The Church of the Anti-Christ Superstar!" Why? you ask-- Apparently, Anton Levey (sp?), head of the Church of Satan, went broke, and Marilyn made a huge contribution to the church. And so it was renamed. I find it disturbing that even the Church of Satan has been overcome by commercialism! I'll crawl back into my hole now, Daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 00:31:34 -0600 (CST) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry Message-ID: i am the brother of the kid on this list. in reply to the pavement question, why not start off with a little wowee zowee? good. i liked pavement at lolla-p. in atlanta. the singer was very slackish, starting every single song off with 2-3-4...... they do have a very new one out, which i know not what it is called. -jef ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 03:04:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406030426_-2105010854@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters In a message dated 97-04-06 01:19:07 EST, you write: << There's actually more to it than that. One example is that the "singer" in one interview said that it would like for everyone in the world to be exposed to their "music." I don't know about you, but I don't want to have young, easily influenced children listening to a bunch of ass-holes glorifying homosexuality, raw crudeness, and just the overall bull shit that they love to exploit. This is just a small example. To each his or her own, yes, except for the band that has a t-shirt out with a big picture of the singer taking a shit on the front. Thank you, and can we stop talking about them and start talking about Them?? 8) -Mark >> awww, scream at me for following up on this if you will (i know i'm as sick of hearing about marilyn manson everywhere i turn as anyone else is)...but just because you disagree with the things they express (though i don't see marilyn manson expressing much, positively or negatively, the topic has just kind of disappeared for me now, it's time for me to rant awhile).. personally, i think that not exposing children to everything the world has to offer just makes people like marilyn manson seem that much more appealing.. and furthermore (no, i won't shut up :P), about "glorifying homosexuality", etc.. (and i can definitely say that marilyn manson has done nothing to attract me to a homosexual lifestyle, that's for sure) be happy that there aren't any books to be found in hotel rooms that threaten eternal damnation for not living marilyn manson's lifestyle.. everyone's view of the world deserves expression.. it should be up to the individual to decide what's worthwhile and what's "bullshit". i was going to go on a bit about religious ideas being enforced by society and government without any firm understanding of their origins, and without understanding the concepts of morality and how they relate to personal satisfaction.. but, um... i've learned that criticizing organized religion is putting my continued existence on the line. :P -levi "too much time on his hands" adams ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 04:09:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406040953_-1704018497@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake In a message dated 97-04-05 16:09:40 EST, rmichals@ix.netcom.com (Bill J. Michalski) writes: << Peace in John and John, Billy from St. Louis GIANTS IN ST. LOUIS ON MAY 1st!! >> *spitting soda out* WHAT?!?!. WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFO?! ITS NOT ON THEIR PAGE!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970406050523.00739150@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 05:05:23 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: I'm bored Please disregard this message. I'm bored. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 05:57:12 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <33477378.1356@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: sleepy time I just got back from the Bostons shows...I'm very tired... I have to do some replying first, bare with me; I give a big "I AGREE" to John Henry as a starter album, especially to people who already listen to todays's music I hate Marilyn Manson...and I don't know a thing about their image, I hate their music A Candy Butcher guitarist played with them at Viva Variety (to air this Tuesday), if I'm not mistaken That "sucky music" thing is just a fact of life...you shouldn't ever let what other people think of you get to you anyway...I'll stop before I start preaching... let me quickly say: The in-store was a madhouse...I ended up sitting on the "Top 50 indie CDs" rack, which was not terribly comfortable Linnel looked strange in his Franklin style glasses...the horns were there and they played a fun set...but it was really hot in there by the end, and we were all glad to get out The actual (Avalon) show was great IMO, there was little to no moshing/crowd surfing, which was a pleasant surprise, as the club seemed perfectly set up for it... Brian Dewan opened...(neat stuff) They did the John + John and the tape thing... The horns were there...Everything I've ever wanted in a show, After the show a large group of us went to a bar and grill and pigged out...a super day, I'd say That's my story, thank you later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to: my ears ring ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 unrelated: someone took one of my own post-it notes and wrote "You're a Freak" in large capital letters in marker and placed it on my computer monitor while I was out today...I find this highly amusing... ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 07:36:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406073646_-900782654@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Non-TMBG: Dreaming Of Rabid Child hm. does anyone else keep having tmbg as the background music for their dreams, no matter what they're about? the pink album does that really badly to me.. i just had "rabid child" playing in a dream where i was on a spaceship, until it landed and then i was attacked by a cult member, who i managed to drive off only long enough for her to call in for reinforcements.. and then as i confronted one of the people at the top of the group (which wasn't attacking me, but was just.. walking), i managed to explain to her about the reasons she was living life the way she was, and what she could have, and what littlein life she truly had then.. and then i screamed out in rage because a really annoying person i know appeared when i asked him what he was doing there, he explained, "because it's at the worst possible time," and i realized that he was a manifestation of the ignorance i wish for only in the worst times of my life.. an ignorance that struggles to keep itself in existence, because underneath its exterior, it knows the truth, and is somewhat afraid to let it out, but also feels like it has an obligation to.. and suddenly all this made me destroy him and made me realize that in my absence, the cult that had been after me, which the new love of my life had been a part of, had gone and killed my entire family.. and i cracked at this knowledge and the entire world seemed to spin around me, until finally i found myself on solid ground again, but i saw from a bird's eye view that i was outside of a mall, at one end, walking towards the center, while the girl was on the other end doing the same thing. we then went inside and ordered an ice cream, and someone in the back of the ice cream place who was supposed to be working, but who instead was on the phone and watching tv, pointed to the girl i was with, and said, "another one of us!"... which went unexplained as we went to the girl's home and tried to set up a home version of pac-man. that doesn't seem to have much to do with rabid child, does it? :P -levi ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9704061350.AA13212@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: another Monopuff commercial Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 09:50:13 -0400 (EDT) If Monopuff music isn't commercial material I don't know what is! After having heard a Monopuff song used in a liquor store commercial for Washington, D.C. a few months ago, I now hear Guitar was the Case being used for Princeton Sports in Baltimore! What is up with this and I wonder if Flans knows about all of this exposure? Matt -- upcoming concerts: TMBG-Western MD College,Westminster, MD 4/18 TMBG-Bohager's Bar & Grill, Baltimore, MD 4/19 "No room for big hearts like her in this city"-Carlito's Way Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347B721.3C3B@netheaven.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 10:45:53 -0400 From: Cyberguy Subject: TMBG: Unsubscribing I'm sorry everyone. I'm unsubscribing from the list for a while due to having to increase my school studies. I'll be back in the summer. If anything important happens, like if the Johns get killed, please e-mail me. Thanks -- Visit Cyberguy's Cyberspace. http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347B71B.547D@netheaven.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 10:45:47 -0400 From: Cyberguy Subject: TMBG: Unsubscribing I'm sorry everyone. I'm unsubscribing from the list for a while due to having to increase my school studies. I'll be back in the summer. If anything important happens, like if the Johns get killed, please e-mail me. Tanks -- Visit Cyberguy's Cyberspace. http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:09:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: TMBG: Boston show Message-ID: What an excellent show!!! Except for the fact that before the show it was just me and two girls sitting outside the club and 2 Crown Victorias pull up and out jumps John Linnell and Dan and Grahm and the horn section. I of course am too meek and unassertive to go up to him and say "John..I love you I love you I love you..will you please sign my picture?" Mostly because he was talking to Jim (Tim) the trumpet player.Chuck asked him if he could take a picture but he said something like "Hey guys Im not working yet" The show was great...the horns add SO much.(had they only played Your Racist Friend)And the conga line made the night um..interesting..... :P So after the show I yell to the "guy" "Can I have a set list" he says nothing so I say it again louder and he goes "YES!!!!". So I take my little set list and wait by John Linnells car thinking that if I pass up this oppurtunity Ill hate myself for the rest of my life. So he comes out and some kid yells "Are you going to be playing Providence anytime soon" and John says "ya know...I think probably..." so I walk over to him and say in a kind of "meek" voice kind of like a squeek.."John *gulp* will you please sign my setlist." and he doesn't even look at me and says "Im really in a hurry..I can't." My jaw dropped and tears welled up in my eyes. :( Then Jim? the trumpet player came out and I said "Will YOU please sign my setlist?" he says "Yeah Sure! We're really in a hurry because we need to get back to NY tonight." I said "yeah..John Linnell came out and he wouldn't even sign it..Im so sad" so he says "Yeah....theyre still a little wierd with the fans." He was so nice... And John Linnell as he was quickly run away from me and my scary setlist jumped in his car with the trombone player and as he was pulling out of the space hit the other rental car. I guess fans do make him nervous. :( Im also very glad I got to see Brian Dewan. I LOVED the Rumpelstiltskin song "Is it SheepShanks?......no." Katie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704061542.LAA85864@acs-mail.bu.edu> From: "wally" Subject: TMBG: boston 4-5 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:33:36 -0400 WEnt to see TMBG last night at Avalon. They were unbelievable...doing a double set. The first with a drum machine just like in the 80's. The second with a full band. Also saw them do an in-store at NEwbury Comics in Cambridge. They were really good there too. If anyone taped either of these, or is planning on getting a copy, let me know. I'll love to work out a trade. Wally Gobetz wallyg@bu.edu http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8670 ========================================================================= caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347C420.211D@tmbg.org> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 11:41:20 -0400 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: OMLT comfirmation please i didn't get a comfirmation christy.... mailto:greenjello@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:04:32 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: Well, if you like them you like them. I just feel that we should shield the young form bull shit to some extent. Maybe you haven't become gay, but many have, a large contributing factor being MM. It's a whole new trend. However, I see your points and respect your opinions. Let's end the nonsense now seeing how I am getting sick to my stomach just thinking about those sellouts. -Mark ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:25:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406122541_-568302096@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters In a message dated 97-04-06 03:06:53 EDT, you write: << personally, i think that not exposing children to everything the world has to offer just makes people like marilyn manson seem that much more appealing.. >> There's just no reason to expose kids to manson's kind of worthless crap. There is so much more that a child could learn that is worthwhile, rather than being bombarded with images of cheap tastelessness that are really just the defenition of awful. As far as I'm concerned marylin manson (no I WON'T capitalize the bastard's name) could just drop off the face of the Earth into a dark void or something and I would consider it to be very much to the world's benefit. <> This is for the most part, true, however, I think that there are (or at least damn well should be) standards which people observe. manson IS bullshit; his quality (or lack thereof) doesn't need to be decided upon by anyone. -Geoff "I wanna OMLT" Sondergard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347DA4C.1151@swbell.net> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 10:15:56 -0700 From: Agamemnon Organization: Harold T. Nutsacks' Fine Used Motors Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters >Maybe you haven't become gay, but many have, a large contributing factor being MM. People do not become gay by listening to a song. Do you remember those health films where they told you that you can't get AIDS by using a drinking fountain? I don't want to or NEED to elaborate further. And I sure as hell never want to see that name in a They Might Be Giants list again. "Marilyn" (real name? ryan or something) would be thrilled with you guys; his whole routine is a shameless publicity stunt and is starved for attention. Rant over. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:42:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406124204_1021481017@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul In my school, I have become almost a *missionary* to recruit TMBG fans. So far I have been unsuccessful. I am soley the only one. I have tried playing TMBG music for them, but all they can say is, "It's Children's music" or "It's country music". They get this impression from such songs as "Particle Man" (happens to be playing now), "Birdhouse", and many others. Do others get this impression that They have a Children's feeling about them? I know about all the Tiny Toons incidents, but besides those, ??? In Response to Vlad's alledged inadaquate postings: I am NOT posting right now, because I NEVER post. I am NOT a frequent poster to this NON-posting list. Someone stop me before I DO post. Joel "Never Posts" Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:16:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: TMBG: The Boston show --- TAPED Message-ID: Hey all, Well I went to The Boston show last night, and it _rocked_.. I got it all on tape, and from what I've previewed of the tape, it sounds really good, except for the fact that every time one of the John's said something funny, some guy laughed into my mike.,.IT's Ok though, cause he didnt drown anything out. Anyway, for whoever saw the John's, when did they leave last night? I have like this horrible story to tell about waiting for them last night, but I think I'll save it for now... Anyone interested in the tape of the show (which is WELL worth it, they played sooooo many songs), email me and I'll try to set you up... Now if could only wake up... -Adam ~-~\ /~-~ | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | | Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still | | haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence | *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970406172300.006a40e8@pop.erols.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 13:23:00 -0400 From: claudia Subject: non-TMBG: Manson & other stuff his whole routine is a shameless publicity stunt and is starved >for attention. for the sake of defending a fellow miamian....manson has always(underlined 2 times) been that way. i didnt like them at first, but musically, i must admit, they really have come a long way. Now...out of sheer curiosity... we, on the matthew sweet mailing list recently had a discussion of the best cds the 90's had to offer. now its a given that matt got the most votes..but coming in at a close second was Flood. i was wondering if anyone here is also a msweet fan. * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._ `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`) (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-' _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,' (il),-'' (li),' ((!.-' smellycat is simsh@erols.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/6972 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3218 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *The gene pool could use some chlorine.* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 13:55:15 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <3347E383.16D7@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts To Vladimir and Mike, I just wanted to say that I once had the opposite experience. Some phone soliciter called, and not being interested, I mumbled that my parents weren't home. Her: "Is this their son?" me (in a normal voice): "No, I'm their daughter!" I shudder to think what she must think about our household, but she's a soliciter so it dosn't matter. It was pretty funny to hear her frantic apologies, tho. ;) I'm going to the Boston show on the 19th! I heard that Brian Dewan will be opening, is this true? Please please please say it is, as I have never heard him in concert. :( My TMBG coverting experience... I lent Apollo 18 to a girl, and tho she didn't ask for anymore, she told me that she had enjoyed it and pointed out that she liked My Evil Twin, The Guitar, and another I don't remember. The point is, I think Apollo 18 is the best bet for converting people. Everyone hates Floodies, so that's out; John Henry and Factory Showroom have the "new sound" that it seems like most people on the list don't like, and Lincoln and pink lay the Giantness on a bit thick for beginners. If anything I just said dosn't make sense, point it out to me. Deprived of sleep because of Daylight savings time, I'm not too coherent now. -Nusnu D'oh, I mean mzimir D'oh, stupid keyboard! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:04:38 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul Message-ID: On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > Man" (happens to be playing now), "Birdhouse", and many others. Do others > get this impression that They have a Children's feeling about them? I know > about all the Tiny Toons incidents, but besides those, ??? > Well, in a way, yes. Like "Mr. Me," "Particle Man" (fer sure!), and a lot of the songs off of Apollo 18 (even my beloved "Evil Twin") have this bouncy rhythm usually reserved for children's music in today's modern society. The lyrics, on the other hand, are definitly not kiddie. And, knowing the listening patterns of most people, they listen to the music first, then the lyrics later. And if they do listen to the lyrics, it is only superficially without taking what they mean behind them. I mean, I for instance didn't even think of TMBG having any meaning behind their songs until I joined this list- and I had listened to them for years! So beyond even the music, sometimes the lyrics can seem very kiddie upon face value. Deeper listening like we do proves that it's not children's music, and that's probably why we're so defensive... As to my posting habits, I was surprised to see my name in the list of those who post a lot- I feel like I hardly ever post, and it definitly goes in cycles- sometimes I do a little every day, sometimes I go for months without posting once... And let's get over this Marily Manson nonsense, people! Haven't we learned by now that just because we don't necessarily like someone else's music, doesn't mean it sucks and that the people who listen to it are losers? Isn't this the same mentality turned on us and our music? How many times have we been told our favourite band sucks and that we are losers for liking Them? Realize that you don't like it, and then get over it! Thank you and good day! _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:29:57 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-Id: And that is why the TV rating system kicks ass so much. More power to informing people! Down with blatant censorship! :) Tarnished Silence 210 PS - There...now I've posted...happy? :) /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Welcome To My Nightmare Dead Babies Raped And Freezing | | You Drive Me Nervous Elected Generation Landslide Under | | My Wheels Muscle Of Love School's Out Only Women Bleed | | Billion Dollar Babies Dead" - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-04-06 03:06:53 EDT, you write: > > << personally, i think that not exposing children to everything the world has > to > offer just makes people like marilyn manson seem that much more appealing.. > >> > > There's just no reason to expose kids to manson's kind of worthless crap. > There is so much more that a child could learn that is worthwhile, rather > than being bombarded with images of cheap tastelessness that are really just > the defenition of awful. As far as I'm concerned marylin manson (no I WON'T > capitalize the bastard's name) could just drop off the face of the Earth into > a dark void or something and I would consider it to be very much to the > world's benefit. > > < individual to decide what's worthwhile and what's "bullshit". >> > > This is for the most part, true, however, I think that there are (or at least > damn well should be) standards which people observe. manson IS bullshit; his > quality (or lack thereof) doesn't need to be decided upon by anyone. > > -Geoff "I wanna OMLT" Sondergard > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:33:47 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul Message-Id: Children's Songs? I think the thing behind Their songs is that they can each be taken in a fun loving manner, but if you dig deep enough, you can render the deeper meaning. On a few, you don't have to: Road Movie To Berlin, They'll Need A Crane (which pertains very nicely to me and my ex right now...) have adult themes and messages throughout. I'd say show them some of this stuff. I've found that exposure is the best weapon to bring people to the light of They. Just keep playing your songs...they'll either come to love them, like I did, or they'll come to hate them. Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Welcome To My Nightmare Dead Babies Raped And Freezing | | You Drive Me Nervous Elected Generation Landslide Under | | My Wheels Muscle Of Love School's Out Only Women Bleed | | Billion Dollar Babies Dead" - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In my school, I have become almost a *missionary* to recruit TMBG fans. So > far I have been unsuccessful. I am soley the only one. I have tried playing > TMBG music for them, but all they can say is, "It's Children's music" or > "It's country music". They get this impression from such songs as "Particle > Man" (happens to be playing now), "Birdhouse", and many others. Do others > get this impression that They have a Children's feeling about them? I know > about all the Tiny Toons incidents, but besides those, ??? > > In Response to Vlad's alledged inadaquate postings: > > I am NOT posting right now, because I NEVER post. I am NOT a frequent poster > to this NON-posting list. Someone stop me before I DO post. > > Joel "Never Posts" Gedalius > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 14:38:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704061838.OAA15864@smtp2.erols.com> From: SadlyBear Subject: TMBG: SNZippers and maybe some tmbg For anyone interested, the SNZ are on Regis and Cathy Lee this week. I can't figure out the time or channel though. Email me if you know I saw plus met SNZ this past week at Bohagers, where tmbg is playing, also where Ellen will probably not being going anytime soon. For whoever said that they thought TMBG are definitely worth seeing for 20$, maybe, but for the monetarily restricted, it's annoying. I have Then only because my sister kindly got it for me, even though she loathes the Johns whol;eheartedly. Ellen Kao ekao2@gl.umbc.edu ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== "You are the ghost town, and I am the heartland." ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-== ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Message-Id: <9704061848.AA05345@sncils.snc.edu> Subject: TMBG: Ignore if you're sick of Manson topics... Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:48:18 -0500 (CDT) (Yes, it's another Marilyn Manson follow-up... If you're sick of this topic, just delete this message now. Remember that life _does_ go on. And I actually managed to tie it in to TMBG later on...) Someone Said: > the young form bull shit to some extent. Maybe you haven't become gay, > but many have, a large contributing factor being MM. It's a whole new What's up with all this "You might not have turned gay" crap? Since when is discovering that you're gay or bisexual such a bad thing? You're all making it sound like Homosexuality is some kind of mortal sin (If that's what you do believe, write me via _private_ email, and we'll argue). If that's your whole basis for not liking Marilyn Manson, then there's something seriously wrong with your logic. Someone Else Said: > There is so much more that a child could learn that is worthwhile, rather > than being bombarded with images of cheap tastelessness that are really just > the defenition of awful. As far as I'm concerned marylin manson (no I WON'T However, I'd have to argue that Manson's lyrics _aren't_ so much tasteless as they are bitter. If you actually pay attention to they lyrics from songs like Cake and Sodomy, Dope Hat, and The Beautiful People, you'll see that Manson actually displays a rather high level of contempt for people who listen to his music just because of the shock value alone... I'm reminded of a story I heard where at a concert he shouted, "How does it feel to be a part of the beautiful people?" or something like that to the moshers. If Manson's music is tasteless, then it's a necessary kind of tasteless. He throws dirt in the eyes of our traditional values and morals. He forces us to look at the animalistic, primitive side of our ids, and (I'm assuming in the case of most of the readers of this list) makes us appreciate bands like TMBG more. However, if you throw all this blind hate and bitterness at Manson, you become no better than the "Beautiful People" moshers who blindly follow his ideas because they're shocking. How many times, as TMBG fans, have we had to cope with the scorn and laughter that is so often associated with being a They-head? And in order to understand that, you've gotta come from the other perspective. If you take a look at bands like Korn (my all-time favorite band, I'm proud to say - I'm afraid TMBG _does_ come in a very close second, tied with Loreena McKennitt), NIN, and Marilyn Manson, the kind of raw emotion that flows from the people in the band is pretty much unseen in a band like TMBG. Now I'm not saying that TMBG doesn't have any emotion; far from it - I could name a whole slew of songs that are extraordinarily emotional, but so could you. What people listen to those kind of bands for is because the noise coming forth from the bands very closely match the rage of emotions that is probably going through their heads at the time... Try being manic/depressive sometime... You'll quickly find out that there's simply times when a lighter-sounding band like TMBG just isn't going to cut it. So why exactly do _I_ love Marilyn Manson (yes, for all of you worried people out there, TMBG is higher on my list)? It's mostly _because_ he throws so much dirt in people's eyes. If you're in a band like TMBG, all you've got to worry about is people who can't understand what you're talking about. When you're in a band like Marilyn Manson, you've got to worry about hordes of homophobic, religious-right fanatics, proclaiming your eternal damnation. How do you think Korn's song "Clown" came to be? So, to end my rant, I'll leave you with this: I am a devout TMBG fan. I own all their albums, their first two on vinyl as well, and the few meager singles I've been able to get my hands on. I am also a devout Marilyn Manson fan. I own all of his albums (although most haven't made their way on to my CD list yet...), and a few singles I've noticed lying around at CD stores. So what does that say to you? I'd say it means "Open your eyes a little bit." Try to become a little more accepting of something that you really can't understand or relate to. Isn't that what the whole point of being a TMBG fan is, anyway? > again. "Marilyn" (real name? ryan or something) would be thrilled with Brian Welch, I think... "Insanity is the final defense.... It's hard to get a refund when the salesman is sniffing at your crotch and baying at the moon." - Anon. CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.snc.edu/~kucecj ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 14:55:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Message-ID: > I'm going to the Boston show on the 19th! I heard that Brian Dewan will be opening, is > this true? Please please please say it is, as I have never heard him in concert. :( Whoa!! They're coming _back_ to Boston for the 19th?? Are we talking TMBG here? Whats' up with this? I can't find it on ticketmaster... I personally wasn't too impressed by brian Dewan.. Out of the set he played there was only 2 songs I sorta liked.. Rumplestiltskin was cool, and then that 'Cadavers! Cadavers!' song was just really funny.. ~-~\ /~-~ | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | | Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still | | haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence | *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704061808.NAA05414@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: I'm a rare poster. I'm glued to the wall! The following is filled with SARCAM. Be warned. Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:55:05 -0500 Hey! I've finally found THEN at me local WalMart! Soon I will scoop one of the two copies up and be in Might Be Bliss! Oh, and by the way...NOT that I am supporting Marilyn Manson by any means, but... I'm listening to Karma Chameleon right now... I hope THAT doesn't turn me into a 'faggot'. And what about all those nice, straight people exposed to Marilyn Manson on that there MTV? ACK! ACK! SEXUAL PREFERENCE KRYPTONITE! IF IT'S 'glorified', WELL, I _HAVE_ TO BE AFFECTED!! Jeepers! I'm suprised we can even reproduce at all, since we've all been turned gay! Wahoo! Mike "Keep your ignorance hidden, bigots. Focus on THEY. " Leffel Mass purchaser of Alcohol, Firearms and Smokes, merely because they're GLORIFIED as well. Oh, and I beat women. I also buy EVERYTHING with the Nike logo. Why? Because I am Tiger Woods. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:10:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406151004_282803358@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Boston... and feeling Linnell's pain Greetings all, I too went to the Boston show, and it was great. I've been so busy and sleep-deprived that I contemplated not going, but it would have disappointed my friends who were counting on my driving skills, so I went. And how glad I am that I did... That show had one of the best conga lines I've ever seen at a TMBG show! There were so many lines going that we ended up in conga traffic jams towards the end of NOKMP! (I conga every few shows, and something in the air of the Avalon told me it was a night to conga. How right my conga sensor was.) Anywoo, after all that head-bobbing, twisting, and conga-ing, I drove back to NYC. Thus, I can understand Linnell's desire to get outta dodge in a crown vic as quickly as possible. (Though it is sad that he didn't sign your set list, Katie.) I didn't see him pass me on the road, but then I stopped to get coffee four times during the trip. I was hallucinating by the time I got back into Manhattan. (I'm not sure if that was due to lack of sleep or near fatal coffee OD.) But as painful as the trip home was, through rain and bad drivers in Connecticut, I discovered something wonderful... Burger King has absolutely no problem with making a burger without the burger! No lengthy vegetarian explainations necessary! I am so glad I went. I'm a bit sore, a bit more sleep deprived, but much less stressed thanks to that conga. And, hey, who needs sleep when there's always more coffee, I say. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:16:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406151603_570978439@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: non-TMBG: we're on TV Ratings now? In a message dated 97-04-06 14:14:34 EDT, you write: << And that is why the TV rating system kicks ass so much. More power to informing people! Down with blatant censorship! :) >> Huh? Actually I think the TV-rating system is a step in the wrong direction. The government is peeking it's little snout into more and more of our business every day. If people are too stupid to realize that they don't like the content of a certain show, or don't want thier kids watching it, or whatever, they have (and have always had) the power to change the channel or turn the bloody (I like sounding British) thing off! They shouldn't need a little "TV-PG" symbol to let them know. Anywayyyyy... -Geoff "I can't WAIT to be old enough to pay my own taxes!" Sondergard ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:25:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406152553_1219769733@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? > Just keep playing your > songs...they'll either come to love them, like I did, or they'll come to >hate them. Tarnished Silence 210 >> I think they've come to hate them. =\ I didn't mean I didn't see meaning in the songs, I meant do they have a childish feel to them. Someone in one of their responses to this post said that it is "bouncy". At the day camp I worked at this summer, I played Flood for them and the counselor said, "Ooh, bouncy music". =\ I do recognize that They have some very serious and higher-level songs. Joel "The Non-Poster" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:37:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406153710_1287153211@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson In a message dated 97-04-06 14:52:38 EDT, you write: << If Manson's music is tasteless, then it's a necessary kind of tasteless. He throws dirt in the eyes of our traditional values and morals. He forces us to look at the animalistic, primitive side of our ids, and (I'm assuming in the case of most of the readers of this list) makes us appreciate bands like TMBG more. >> I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as people. What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch is (or at least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of values there!!! <> That's ridiculous. I'm not throwing blind hate at him, I'm pointing out what should be already be obvious: the man is a walking, talking, (unfortunately) breathing pile of his own shit, if not because of his attitude towards morals and his repulsive actions, then becuase of his taking advantage of all those people who "blindly follow his ideas because they're shocking." People should like something because it's good, not because of it's shock value. <> Well if he does have to worry about this (yeah I'm sure he loses a lot of sleep wondering if people like him or not) it is no one's fault but his own. When you go around looking like a shit-encrusted zombie with millions of mindless devotees on a leash, you should expect decent people to scorn you. When Ozzy Osbourne bit the heads off live birds during concerts, some people scorned him, and he deserved it. Shock sells, and people like this take advantage of it, but that still doesn't make it right. <> Actually the point of being a TMBG fan is to enjoy somehting that I CAN relate to and understand. I should never have to even try to accept the crap that manson or anyone like him spews. There's nothing wrong with having standards, and disliking something that you believe doesn't live up to those standards. Yikes! -Geoff ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347F22B.623D@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 12:57:48 -0600 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG:John Henry Jonah wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > P.S. However, if I was going to lend one of their cds to someone, I'd > > lend them John Henry. Just personal opinion though. > Yeah. John Henry is kind of an intermediate "middle ground" album > between the Lincoln/First Album type of outrageous music we know and > love, and the outside world seems to hate(my friends are truly disturbed > by how much I enjoy 32 footsteps and they'll need a crane) and regular > old "alternative rock"(god I hate that phrase). I mean, there's very > little accordion, distorted guitars, power chords, not much synth > buuut... it's still ultra-catchy, has brilliant lyrics, and in general > is a great album. John Henry is the album I use to show my friends who > have heard nothing but Istanbul and Particle man that TMBG are NOT a > "funny joke band" or anything at all like Weird Al Yankovic. > -- > "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our > wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton > > and again I'll ask in a gratouitously non TMBG-fashion if anyone can > privately e-mail me and tell me which Pavement album would be the best > to buy first. There are at least a couple pavement fans on this list. > halp me out. > > Jonah, who's been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the > sequel to his life Aiieee! Don't even compare TMBG to Wierd Al... Oh yeah, btw, adding to that stupid string about EYKIW, it WAS a spoof of TMBG's ETRIWA, but the Johns didn't give him persmission, so he just changed some stuff so he wouldn't get sued (maybe he sould have called it Everything You Know is AKA). ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:29:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406162905_1021502504@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg List Here is a list of bootlegs that I have. If interested in trading, E-mail me. Also, I can transfer Videos into audio if you would like. Mr Bungle: Toronto, Canada 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA 12-18-95 (Video) Fishbone: St. Louis 11-5-86 (Video) Citta, Kawasaki Japan February 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA@Warfield Theatre 1-16-92 (Video) Foo Fighters: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Radiohead: London@The Astoria 5-27-94 (Video) Rage Against The Machine: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Philadelphia, PA 8-16-96 (Video) Fairfax, VA 8-21-96 (Video) They Might Be Giants: 1985 Demo Tape (Audio) Dr. Spocks Backup Band (Audio) Inadvertant (Audio) Live In New York 10-14-94 (Audio) House of Blues 9-19-96 (Audio) Aran's Records Instore 11-22-96 (Video) Let It Be Instore 11-29-96 (Video) Tower Records 1996 (Audio) Stump Box (Audio) Weezer: Various Tape (Audio) American Holiday (Audio) Rock Candy (Audio) "Geezer" New Britan, CT 12-4-94 (Audio) Milan, Italy@The Factory 2-18-95 (Video) Buffalo 7-30-95 (Audio) Germany@Bizarre Fest 8-17-96 (Video) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:32:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406163217_1219775497@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT-o-rama OMLTs: Only 5 days left to order! I want all the orders in by Friday, because that is a teacher workday and I can call the company then (I don't get home from school until 5ish, which is around when they close... sigh... the joys of attending a magnet school). Got that? ALL ORDERS MUST BE IN BY NOON ON FRIDAY OR ELSE. Now that I have made that painfully clear, don't you dare come whining to me that I didn't give you enough notice. No more Mr. Nice Goddess. Still haven't ordered one? Better hurry. All of your friends will make fun of you unless you have one (then again, if you listen to TMBG, many of your friends probably already make fun of you...) Send e-mail to moi, Christy@tmbg.org, with this info: --Number and sizes of shirts wanted --Name and shipping address --E-mail address I will send you a confirmation of your order in the next few days. I will phone the order in to the company on Friday, figure out the final price, and all that fun stuff. Until then, anyone who asks about pricing or where/when to send their money will get the swift sword of death. Order count so far, for those who care: Medium: 5 (remember, these may turn out to be Large if Medium is not available) Large: 34 XL: 40 XXL: 12 Total: 91 orders Yay! We may just make the 100 mark by Friday. That would make me a very happy Goddess. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3347FD16.5718@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 13:44:22 -0600 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > are more of I can't name on > I'm here! I don't post as often as I should, but that's only 'cause I'm so > busy. And, well, I don't always have all that much to add. But I do read > everything on the list, tho! > > It's > I never did--where in the song is it? > > the lid, and > Woo woo, another Jolt fan! Have you tried Mega Jolt?? Twice the caffine of > regular Jolt! It's like the difference between coffee and a vivarin. I've > often dreamed about offering the Johns some, just in case they ever get sick > of coffee (yeah, right). > > or mp3 Flans... > > If there was ever an explanation of the Rock Guitar Expressionist incident, I > somehow missed it--could someone exlpain what that's about? > > Later, listees! > > Kay Firstly, the rubber band in Spiraling Shape is in the chorus (and the soooong they plaaaay is that guy with the messed up face). The Rock Guitar Expressionist Botch-Up was in a song with a guitar solo that Flansy tried to changea little and totally screwed himself over. He totally botched it. So after the song he gets up and kinda sheepishly says something to the effect of, "Uhhh... yeah, sorry about that little solo there, I was kinda trying to express myself as a rock guitarist, but it didn't really work out." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:00:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: Boston concert report Message-ID: (list of songs follows) The Boston show was really really great. What's this I hear about a show on the 19th? I'd get my hopes up, but it smells a bit like misinformation. I think this concert was much better than the one at Paradise simply because of the horns and the set list. The horns are great. The only bad part was that due to unfortunate circumstance, I was stuck somewhere in the middle of the pit :( And in my humble opinion, these middle-of-the-pit people were not nearly appreciative enough about hearing the older material. I was getting quite disappointed with the crowd, knowing that true fans were up in the front. Oh well. One very odd/disturbing thing I noticed was the there were a few adult-types standing to the right and front of me. One of them (the one close to me) was this tall, serious-looking guy wearing a long black coat (can you say, "sweat to death?"). THIS GUY DID NOT MOVE FOR THE WHOLE SHOW! Not for Ana Ng, Rhythm Section, Flowers, for nothing. I was thinking, "Who IS this guy and what planet is he from?" I wish I had the balls to say, "Excuse me, sir, but could you please move to the back of the crowd? You're killing the mood, pal." For the guy who asked when They left, I saw Linnell leave right when I was leaving. I can't remember what time that was, but it was when the last stragglers were coming out. I considered just saying, "Hi John!" cheerfully, not asking him for anything, but I didn't want to freak him out. As for TMBG music being childish, I can definitely see where that comes from. Most TMBG music is *not* childish. However, I strongly believe that Particle Man, which is what everyone hears, *is*. This is why I'm not too big on Particle Man. I think that it's put off more potential fans than attracted. For instance, when I heard Particle Man, Istanbul, and Dinner Bell for the first time one day, I thought, "This is neat. I wouldn't buy their album, but this is neat." I had no interest in becoming a Giant fan. However, after borrowing Apollo 18 and listening to it a few times, I was hooked for life. So I conclude that Apollo 18 is a great starter album. I also think it's the best "middle ground." The only catch is that if you loan someone Apollo 18, make him guarantee you that he'll listen to it at least 4 times. Then you'll be guaranteed a successful conversion. John Henry is also a good start. I personally think that Sleeping in the Flowers should be the first song you play for anyone. And obviously, stay away from the Pink Album. Though I love it, I must say that (like others) I wouldn't be a fan today if I heard that one first. Well, I thought that someone else would post the setlist (ahem, Katie), but no one did, so I'll post what I remember, so you can all see what a wonderful concert this was: Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head (introduced as "a song about nostalgia for the 80s before the 80s were over") Number Three (with the weird sampling replaced, introduced with "It didn't come together with this song. This song didn't do anything for us.") 32 Footsteps (intro: "Alanis Morisette commented on MTV that she played the harmonica on her hit song without knowing how to play. Well, we *invented* the not-knowing-how-to-play-the-harmonica harmonica playing." or something like that) Hide Away Folk Family (astrology report replaced by audience "screaming like you're in hell") Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Hotel Detective She's an Angel Rhythm Section Want Ad (curiously, the only first album song to be played with the rhythm section) Ana Ng (fast) Cowtown Lie Still, Little Bottle (they asked us to snap) Purple Toupee (with horns) Where Your Eyes Don't Go (guitar replaced weird noise) Mister Me You'll Miss Me Shoehorn with Teeth (complete with Glockenspiel) I'll Sink Manhattan (with sax) The Famous Polka (without words) Birdhouse in You Soul Istanbul (horn replacing violin) Particle Man Twisting Dig My Grave Spider The Guitar Sleeping in the Flowers Spy No One Knows My Plan (conga line) S-E-X-X-Y Til My Head Falls Off Exquisite Dead Guy (really freaky puppet heads were there) New York City XTC vs. Adam Ant James K. Polk Critic Intro I Am Not Your Broom Older Well, back to lurking. * ------------------------------------ Dan Lee dalee@fas.harvard.edu a018205t@bc.seflin.org 3-3724 Pennypacker 36 "The smell of love is everywhere." -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:03:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: TMBG:Boston show setlist Message-ID: OK, I'm the guy who taped the show, and I finally just listened to it all, to make sure it was all there, and got a setlist of it too, in case anyone is interested... The tape quality is fairly good, the setlist is as follows: Cowtown Puppet Head #3 Mr. Me I'll Sink Manhattan 32 Footsteps You'll Miss Me Hide Away Folk Family ("OK I want everybody to scream like they're in hell") (She Was a) Hotel Detective Ana Ng Shoehorn with Teeth Lie Still Little Bottle She's An Angel ("I wrote this the night that closed down... it has nothing to do with that, actually") Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Famous Polka *Intermission* The Critic Intro Rythm Section Want Ad Purple Toupee Spider Sleeping in The Flowers Birdhouse SEXXY Particle Man NYC James K Polk Where your eyes dont go Older Spy (with I am not you Broom during the improv set) XTC vs AA Exquisite Dead Guy Istanbul No one knows my plan ("Everybody conga over to the bar, give the bartender a high five, conga over to the _other_ bar, and give him one too!") The Guitar Twistin' Till My head falls off Dig My Grave ~-~\ /~-~ | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | | Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still | | haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence | *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970406210409.006834ec@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:04:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: EKYIW At 12:57 PM 4/6/97 -0600, you wrote: > >Oh yeah, btw, adding to that stupid string about EYKIW, it WAS a spoof >of TMBG's ETRIWA, but the Johns didn't give him persmission, so he just >changed some stuff so he wouldn't get sued (maybe he sould have called >it Everything You Know is AKA). Ummmmm.....no. Al is a tremendously huge TMBG fan, and EYKIW was written as a tribute to Them. It was NEVER meant as a spoof, and there's not need to get permission since it's a TRIBUTE... Have you even HEARD the song? -Adam, who's a little peeved... /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:33:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406173331_82064538@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson In a message dated 97-04-06 15:40:02 EDT, you write: << I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as people. What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch is (or at least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of values there!!! >> um.. i reccommend reading up on satanic principals and then reading the bible. satanism-bashing is very typical, but that's just because of the stories people hear about it.. i'm not a satanist, but i agree with a lot of their ideas (like, um, that people should consider themselves capable of making a difference as opposed to being sheep) please.. everyone's entitled to their opinions.. but i'm still disappointed by the closed-mindedness of people who say "the majority of people think this is evil, therefore anyone who disagrees deserves to die!" -levi ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:48:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406174829_-1871719113@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Real World Hey all, hows it going? ...well lets get to the point------ While flipping through channels on my television, or "tv", i turned to Mtv, and what did i hear? Snail Shell!! It was playing in the background of The Real World (london?). It was the part that goes " ...Ah.... ...Ah.... ..Ah" Mtv looped that part over and over for like a minute :) so, so far that makes tmbg music in the background of----- Road Rules-(she was a) Hotel Detective Buzzkill- Snail Shell Sand Blast-Snail Shell The Real World-Snail Shell oh, and for the HOPEFULLY last time....STOP THE !@#@@$% NON TMBG MESSAGES! I read like 5 messages that were NON TMBG but didnt even say in the subject title!!! ALSO a lot of people are posting PERSONAL RESPONSES to others on the list!!!!! (eg "why do you hate Marlyon Manson?" "oh, because bla bla bla") KEEP THIS IN PRIVATE E- MAIL. Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:50:04 -0500 (CDT) From: ILOVEMARTHASTEWART Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: TV Nation Message-Id: ahhh! i don't want to start this thread again, but could some nice soul please fill me in on when TV Nation is on Comedy Central? that's all i need, no big explaination about who rad Michael Moore is or how he's in kahoots with Them...just a day and time. thanks! jillian "tv guide challenged" buser ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* my name is jillian i study the earth i need a job woohoojb@falcon.cc.ukans.edu http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~woohoojb ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 18:30:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406183056_1186288708@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG:TMBG & Al (not again!) < Aiieee! Don't even compare TMBG to Wierd Al... I've said this on a recent "Weird Al Sucks" thread on alt.music.tmbg, but it bears repeating on this list. When it comes to TMBG and Al, there are two extremes I can't stand--those who say, "I like TMBG and Al cuz they're both so WACKY!" and the ones who say, "Don't mention them in the same breath! TMBG are _artists_, Al's just a hack." The truth is, they are each highly talented and don't get the respect they deserve. I've been an Al fan for many years (he's the one who made me realize how cool an accordion is--he's a kick ass accordionist!), and I can appreciate them both for what they are, and I think most They fans feel the same way--yes, they are very different, but they're both very good! Message-ID: <33482F6A.1CB0@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: D'oh! Did I say I was going to the Boston show? I can't even remember, and I deleted the message. Well, I meant Baltimore. Yeesh. I also said that George Harrison was the actor who played Han Solo. Like I said, daylight savings time takes its toll... -Mismi ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 19:25:47 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <334830FB.2832@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Coyote wrote: > > > I'm going to the Boston show on the 19th! I heard that Brian Dewan will be opening, is > > this true? Please please please say it is, as I have never heard him in concert. :( > > Whoa!! They're coming _back_ to Boston for the 19th?? Are we talking TMBG > here? Whats' up with this? I can't find it on ticketmaster... Nope, sorry. That was my mistake, they're going to be in BALTIMORE on the 19th. My abject apologies for starting false rumors, but it was a mix-up... sort of a really bad typo. Sorry! -Mismi ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 19:32:25 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: NON-TMBG: TV Ratings Returned... Message-Id: Sorry, I couldn't help myself to a nice debate...:) On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-04-06 14:14:34 EDT, you write: > > << And that is why the TV rating system kicks ass so much. More power to > informing people! Down with blatant censorship! :) >> > > Huh? Actually I think the TV-rating system is a step in the wrong direction. > The government is peeking it's little snout into more and more of our > business every day. A well-said statement. > If people are too stupid to realize that they don't like the content of a > certain show, or don't want thier kids watching it, or whatever, they have > (and have always had) the power to change the channel or turn the bloody (I > like sounding British) thing off! They shouldn't need a little "TV-PG" symbol > to let them know. Ah, but are my parents stupid because they don't have time to watch what the kids are watching on TV 24/7? Both work jobs and there are too many things to be doing when they come home to sit and watch TV all night with their kids. Granted, it'd be nice, but when it comes to it I guess as a future parent (sometime) I would appreciate being able to glance into the living room, and see the little rating on the TV screen, and if it is inappropriate for their age, tell them to turn it off or change the channel. Much easier to do than watching the whole thing. And, in my opinion, better than the government telling us we can't watch it at all. That would be dumb. > > Anywayyyyy... > > -Geoff "I can't WAIT to be old enough to pay my own taxes!" Sondergard > Tarnished "I AM old enough to pay my own taxes and IT SUCKS!" Silence 210 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 19:34:07 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? Message-Id: Nor was I insulting you, Joel. Yes, I agree....many of their songs you could fast-dance too, but slow-dance? Not really. I guess that's how I separate my songs...:) Give it up for the female race! YEAH! Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "Welcome To My Nightmare Dead Babies Raped And Freezing | | You Drive Me Nervous Elected Generation Landslide Under | | My Wheels Muscle Of Love School's Out Only Women Bleed | | Billion Dollar Babies Dead" - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > Just keep playing your > > songs...they'll either come to love them, like I did, or they'll come to > >hate them. > > Tarnished Silence > 210 >> > > I think they've come to hate them. =\ > > I didn't mean I didn't see meaning in the songs, I meant do they have a > childish feel to them. Someone in one of their responses to this post said > that it is "bouncy". At the day camp I worked at this summer, I played Flood > for them and the counselor said, "Ooh, bouncy music". =\ > > I do recognize that They have some very serious and higher-level songs. > > Joel "The Non-Poster" Gedalius > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 20:48:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Apr-97 NON-TMBG: A hopefully final.. by Kamesennin@aol.com > I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as > people. What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch > is (or at least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of > values there!!! What the hell kind of difference does it make? He's entitled to his beliefs, and he's entitled to say them. For someone complaining about someone's values and morals, you sure have a lot to learn. > That's ridiculous. I'm not throwing blind hate at him, I'm pointing out > what should be already be obvious: the man is a walking, talking, > (unfortunately) breathing pile of his own shit, if not because of his > attitude towards morals and his repulsive actions, then becuase of his > taking advantage of all those people who "blindly follow his ideas because > they're shocking." People should like something because it's good, not > because of it's shock value. Repulsive actions? To who? You, apparently. He must not find them repulsive; otherwise he would not participate in them. > Well if he does have to worry about this (yeah I'm sure he loses a lot of > sleep wondering if people like him or not) it is no one's fault but his > own. When you go around looking like a shit-encrusted zombie with millions > of mindless devotees on a leash, you should expect decent people to scorn > you. When Ozzy Osbourne bit the heads off live birds during concerts, some > people scorned him, and he deserved it. Shock sells, and people like this > take advantage of it, but that still doesn't make it right. to quote TMBG: there is no right or wrong. it's a matter of your own personal values. you happen to find such actions distasteful - guess what? you DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO OR WATCH THEM! > Actually the point of being a TMBG fan is to enjoy somehting that I CAN > relate to and understand. I should never have to even try to accept the > crap that manson or anyone like him spews. There's nothing wrong with > having standards, and disliking something that you believe doesn't live up > to those standards. granted. However, telling other people that they may not appreciate something because you disagree with it is just as bad as what you're accusing them of. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: DAMN!!!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970406.210715.4518.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:07:25 EDT The stupid electricity went off for about 8 seconds at my house while I was in my e-mail program. About 40 messages were deleted off my account and the 4 messages I had in my outbox were deleted! THIS PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:19:43 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Message-Id: I read a rather disturbing message from someone who said they heard snail shell on real world. That's not disturbing, but this is... "I was flipping through the channels..." I DON'T THINK SO! You made that up because you were afraid people would scorn you for watching MTV. Well I say to heck with them! Come out of the ditch! Admit that you were watching MTV. I was watching it too! I was watching that whole British marathon and I'm proud to say it! In More TMBG news, I'm going to follow them around like a sick puppy. on the week of the 19th. Anyone going to: Grand Rapids St. Joes Calvin College If so.. you get bonus prizes. PS: TMBG are opening for Violent femmes at St. Joes. I'm quite excited as I love both bands. ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, so hot." -Servo ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 6 Apr 97 21:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Boston concert report One of them (the one close to me) >was this tall, serious-looking guy wearing a long black coat (can you say, >"sweat to death?"). THIS GUY DID NOT MOVE FOR THE WHOLE SHOW! Not for >Ana Ng, Rhythm Section, Flowers, for nothing. I was thinking, "Who IS >this guy and what planet is he from?" Y'know, I read a science fiction book when I was a kid about these aliens that came to earth as tourists in disguise - they were very tall and wore long, black coats, even in July. hmm... frightening.. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704070147.UAA54348@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 19:42:56 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: "then" review Hey ya'll, this is my first post to the list. I am an entertainment critic for the Madison, WI based "Badger Herald" and I thought that you folks would enjoy my review of "Then." --Geoff Into the Groove: They Might Be Giants Then: The Earlier Years April 3, 1997 For over a decade, the two Johns of They Might Be Giants have been busy making some of the most innovative music anywhere. The past year has been especially hectic. John Linnell has continued with "hello," a compact disc digest of great new music, and John Flansburgh released a rocking album under the name Mono Puff. Besides their solo work, the Johns also released the seventh full length TMBG album, Factory Showroom, their second album with a full band. Now, seven years after their major label debut, They Might Be Giants and Restless Records have released Then: The Earlier Years, a comprehensive two disc set that includes the first three complete albums: They Might Be Giants, Lincoln, and Miscellaneous T (the EP collection). In itself, this is not a big deal, as most TMBG fans will already own the first three albums, but the band also includes nineteen previously unreleased tracks, most from their Dial-A-Song service. Even with the first three albums in full, Then: The Earlier Years is a must for any fan of the Giants' antics. The previously unreleased songs are well worth the cost of the set. Among these are the original version of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die," "Number Three" in Greek, and the demo versions of "Don't Let's Start," and "Which Describes How You're Feeling." The best of the new tracks, "Become A Robot" perfectly reflects upon the songs of Giants' past. "Now That I Have Everything," is a poppy little number with odd rhythmic patterns. "Weep Day" tells of Mr. Tambo and Urine Man, and was inspired by the hyphenated reference to a song on the back of a Bob Dylan record jacket which read "Mr.Tambo-urine Man." There is even a darling rendition of "Particle Man" sung by schoolchildren. Nothing can compare to the musical ability of They Might Be Giants, for no one can rock quite like the two Johns can. As the future approaches, it becomes apparent that nothing is quite as it once was. "Now, the time has come to climb into that car, and to shake the paw of destiny," according to "Kitten Intro." Perhaps it is, but with They Might Be Giants behind the wheel, we may never know. --Geoffrey McNulty * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970407002537.0069c918@pop.erols.com> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 20:25:37 -0400 From: claudia Subject: TMBG:Upcoming show holy geezus.... i finally read the postings on the boston show and i can only HOPE they play that long in Baltimore. my b/f just got the tix and im so sickeningly excited, i could die. claudia countin the days * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._ `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`) (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-' _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,' (il),-'' (li),' ((!.-' smellycat is simsh@erols.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/6972 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3218 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *The gene pool could use some chlorine.* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:52:31 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <3348535F.589D@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: thread twisting/ fan creation formula Okay...we'll make these replies as short as I can... TVRatings suck, and are often really strange...Woody Allen movies get TVG, while I saw a sitcom get TV14 (or 13? I dunno what it is)...they're defintiely a stab at our freedom of expression, and while they're not really doing much now, except being slightly annoying and distracting, if we let it happen, soon the V-chips will come... Shut up about Manson...not because of the touchy subject matter, or the political tinges of the thread, but because if we must talk about other bands, at least make them slightly related to They... There is a childishness, but only if you look surface-deep, as a child would...even Particle man talks about 'Person man, degraded man...totally worthless...' etc., etc. Therefore I wuld say the music could seve as childrens music and adult music...but if any adult actually listened to what the child was listening to, they might just get hooked themselves...so let whoever wants to listen to Them listen...an ageless event The moshing at the boston show was completely unfelt toward the front, until after the conga-line...and don't forget that it was national tip-the-bartender-ten-bucks night...and my favoie part of the opening (John + John) set was in one of the first couple of songs where Flans yelled "Awesome Guitar Solo" over and over in one pitch where there was (on the album) an 'awesome' guitar solo And now, my TMBG fan creation formula...this is all based on my opinions and experiences and is not meant to belittle any fan or group of people understand first that it depends on the kind of person you're trying to convert... If this person already has a slightly twisted sense of humor, or is already a little strange then ANY album will do, especially the earlier ones, but Lincoln is best...and it must be listened to at least twice and maybe once under supervision... If we are converting someone who's into music, but is tragically stuck in the 'what's popular' rut, then I suggest John Henry...I usually play it in order...skipping Unrelated Thing, and honestly telling them that "I don't like the song..." and that, "that's okay; you don't have to like every song." I usually get a good response from that...once they've digested JH, which may take one or two listenings, decide how much they liked it. If they liked it enormously, move on quickly and move right to Apollo18 or Lincoln. If they didn't like it or are still lukewarm try Factory Showroom, but don't force it upon them, let them pick what tracks they want to listen to... If this person has no musical taste whatsoever (and not bad musical taste, NO musical taste)...you should try your luck with A18, JH or even FS...it depends highly on their personality...the younger they are, the more the No-Musics will lean toward FS...but this is not always true...I don't suggest trying to convert a No-Music until you've successfully converted a 'what's popular' As a general rule I try to get Lincoln into the first three albums they're exposed to...but there are times when it's obvious that the 'Two guys and tape/drum machine' idea is too much for some to comprehend I've had very good results from this: sucessful strange/twisted 4/4 'what's popular's 10/15 No-Musics 6/10 I'm open to suggestions later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:Fake Out in Buenos Aires.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:06:09 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: AMEN, BROTHA'! Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@AOL.COM wrote: > In a message dated 97-04-06 03:06:53 EDT, you write: > > << personally, i think that not exposing children to everything the world has > to > offer just makes people like marilyn manson seem that much more appealing.. > >> > > There's just no reason to expose kids to manson's kind of worthless crap. > There is so much more that a child could learn that is worthwhile, rather > than being bombarded with images of cheap tastelessness that are really just > the defenition of awful. As far as I'm concerned marylin manson (no I WON'T > capitalize the bastard's name) could just drop off the face of the Earth into > a dark void or something and I would consider it to be very much to the > world's benefit. > > < individual to decide what's worthwhile and what's "bullshit". >> > > This is for the most part, true, however, I think that there are (or at least > damn well should be) standards which people observe. manson IS bullshit; his > quality (or lack thereof) doesn't need to be decided upon by anyone. > > -Geoff "I wanna OMLT" Sondergard > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:23:00 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: ANGNA.WAV Message-Id: Greetings, all! I have put a wav of Ang Na up on my web page. Here are the stats: File name: angna.zip Compressed with: PKzip 2.04g Uncompressed size: 38 MB Compressed size: 30 MB Recording length: Entire song Recording depth: 16 bit Sampling rate: 44.1 kHz Source: Lincoln CD Channels: Stereo Site: http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena/angna.html My web site: http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena I will only leave it there till Wednesday night, because it is taking up WAY too much room, but I thought I'd be nice. Have fun! :) As a return gift, I'd appreciate it if you'd sign my guestbook. Thanks. Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "No one in the world ever gets what they want, | | And that is beautiful. | | Everyone dies frustrated and sad, | | And that is beautiful. | | They want what they're not and I wish they would stop." | | - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | | Beyond your wildest senses, there remains one............ | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 22:09:24 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: I'm back! (with some info and questions!) please read Message-id: Hi TMBGer's! This is cortney! I'm finally back after my extended abscence and I'd like to take the time to thank everyone for their kindness and sympathy throughout this difficult time, everyone on this list has been supernice, you guys (and gals!) are great! I actually have a few things to post: First of all, if I owe you tapes, please don't worry, you will be getting them immediately. I'm truly sorry for any delays - I was pretty slow to begin with simply because I had *so* many tapes to spin! =} Then matters were delayed even more: I left school immediately to go home for the funeral and then I didn't bother to go back because spring break was just about to start...needless to say, all tapes and packages we here at school while I was home! Anyway, I promise (cross my heart!) that they're coming, thanks for your patience! Secondly, can Carl Hudkins please email me? =) I'm having problems with my account and can't find yoru address! Nextly, I haven't been keeping up with the list - is anyone going to the St. Joe's U. show on the 24th? If you are (or are thinking about it!), and have any questions, please email me, I'd love to meet up with you! Also, one of my good friends is on the concert crew for the show, so if you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to find out everything that I can from her! I think that's everything for now, thanks again, have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:09:48 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Manson haters Message-ID: That's why I keep wanting to drop the subject. I know it's the ass-holes way of succeeding. And also, many people strive to be just like their idols. marilyn makes it a huge point to be gay and nasty on stage, so many people WILL copy him. Let's drop the subject now. I don't like being its puppet. -Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Agamemnon wrote: > >Maybe you haven't become gay, but many have, a large contributing factor being MM. > > People do not become gay by listening to a song. Do you remember those > health films where they told you that you can't get AIDS by using a > drinking fountain? I don't want to or NEED to elaborate further. And I > sure as hell never want to see that name in a They Might Be Giants list > again. "Marilyn" (real name? ryan or something) would be thrilled with > you guys; his whole routine is a shameless publicity stunt and is starved > for attention. > > Rant over. > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:21:01 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Message-ID: I think the album with the most "giantness" is Flood. And I, for one, value Showroom and Henry as one of the few best. I would choose either one of them or the pink album to convert someone. However, I have no idea what I'm talking about. My ex-girlfriend loved Lincoln, which was the only album of Theirs she ever heard (she didn't like Particle Man), but she was an easy customer. Up for a tragic story, everyone? Back when we were Freshmen, this guy lent my friend Apollo 18. She liked it and went out and bought Flood. Then something happened after she lent it to me (converting me) and she didn't like it anymore. Even lending her John Henry (about a half year later) didn't make her like Them again. Now a perfectly good copy of Flood sits in a large collection of cds she never listens to. -Mark P.S. Now she's a big MM fan. (weep) On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Mismirilda wrote: > To Vladimir and Mike, I just wanted to say that I once had the opposite experience. Some > phone soliciter called, and not being interested, I mumbled that my parents weren't > home. > Her: "Is this their son?" > me (in a normal voice): "No, I'm their daughter!" > I shudder to think what she must think about our household, but she's a soliciter so it > dosn't matter. It was pretty funny to hear her frantic apologies, tho. ;) > > I'm going to the Boston show on the 19th! I heard that Brian Dewan will be opening, is > this true? Please please please say it is, as I have never heard him in concert. :( > > My TMBG coverting experience... I lent Apollo 18 to a girl, and tho she didn't ask for > anymore, she told me that she had enjoyed it and pointed out that she liked My Evil > Twin, The Guitar, and another I don't remember. The point is, I think Apollo 18 is the > best bet for converting people. Everyone hates Floodies, so that's out; John Henry and > Factory Showroom have the "new sound" that it seems like most people on the list don't > like, and Lincoln and pink lay the Giantness on a bit thick for beginners. > > If anything I just said dosn't make sense, point it out to me. Deprived of sleep because > of Daylight savings time, I'm not too coherent now. > > -Nusnu > D'oh, I mean > mzimir > D'oh, stupid keyboard! > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:23:46 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? & Response to Vlad Drakul Message-ID: I don't know where you've been. We're not even talking about Marilyn Manson's music. On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: > On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > > Man" (happens to be playing now), "Birdhouse", and many others. Do others > > get this impression that They have a Children's feeling about them? I know > > about all the Tiny Toons incidents, but besides those, ??? > > > Well, in a way, yes. Like "Mr. Me," "Particle Man" (fer sure!), and a > lot of the songs off of Apollo 18 (even my beloved "Evil Twin") have this > bouncy rhythm usually reserved for children's music in today's modern > society. The lyrics, on the other hand, are definitly not kiddie. And, > knowing the listening patterns of most people, they listen to the music > first, then the lyrics later. And if they do listen to the lyrics, it is > only superficially without taking what they mean behind them. I mean, I for > instance didn't even think of TMBG having any meaning behind their songs until > I joined this list- and I had listened to them for years! So beyond even > the music, sometimes the lyrics can seem very kiddie upon face value. Deeper > listening like we do proves that it's not children's music, and that's > probably why we're so defensive... > > As to my posting habits, I was surprised to see my name in the list of > those who post a lot- I feel like I hardly ever post, and it definitly > goes in cycles- sometimes I do a little every day, sometimes I go for > months without posting once... > > And let's get over this Marily Manson nonsense, people! Haven't we > learned by now that just because we don't necessarily like someone else's > music, doesn't mean it sucks and that the people who listen to it are > losers? Isn't this the same mentality turned on us and our music? How > many times have we been told our favourite band sucks and that we are > losers for liking Them? Realize that you don't like it, and then get over > it! Thank you and good day! > > _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ > // \\ > // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ > secret sauce!" > -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" > > TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:36:48 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Ignore if you're sick of Manson topics... Message-ID: I don't mind people finding out their gay, and I have nothing against gay people. It's just stupid to be gay because your idol is that way. You don't see me saying I'm a non-denominational Brooklynite just because They are. And if They were trying to make people want to be Them, I'd hate Them for it. But they are, after all, actual musicians. Maybe I just don't see the light with their lyrics, but I have repeatedly given Marilyn a fair chance, both musically and lyrically. They're only throwing dirt into what we have established as acceptable society so that millions of non cause-driven teenage rebels can say "Me to." Henceforth their success. -Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > (Yes, it's another Marilyn Manson follow-up... If you're sick of this topic, > just delete this message now. Remember that life _does_ go on. And I actually > managed to tie it in to TMBG later on...) > > Someone Said: > > the young form bull shit to some extent. Maybe you haven't become gay, > > but many have, a large contributing factor being MM. It's a whole new > > What's up with all this "You might not have turned gay" crap? Since when is > discovering that you're gay or bisexual such a bad thing? You're all making > it sound like Homosexuality is some kind of mortal sin (If that's what you > do believe, write me via _private_ email, and we'll argue). If that's your > whole basis for not liking Marilyn Manson, then there's something seriously > wrong with your logic. > > Someone Else Said: > > There is so much more that a child could learn that is worthwhile, rather > > than being bombarded with images of cheap tastelessness that are really just > > the defenition of awful. As far as I'm concerned marylin manson (no I WON'T > > However, I'd have to argue that Manson's lyrics _aren't_ so much tasteless as > they are bitter. If you actually pay attention to they lyrics from songs like > Cake and Sodomy, Dope Hat, and The Beautiful People, you'll see that Manson > actually displays a rather high level of contempt for people who listen to his > music just because of the shock value alone... I'm reminded of a story I heard > where at a concert he shouted, "How does it feel to be a part of the beautiful > people?" or something like that to the moshers. > > If Manson's music is tasteless, then it's a necessary kind of tasteless. He > throws dirt in the eyes of our traditional values and morals. He forces us to > look at the animalistic, primitive side of our ids, and (I'm assuming in the > case of most of the readers of this list) makes us appreciate bands like TMBG > more. > > However, if you throw all this blind hate and bitterness at Manson, you become > no better than the "Beautiful People" moshers who blindly follow his ideas > because they're shocking. How many times, as TMBG fans, have we had to cope > with the scorn and laughter that is so often associated with being a They-head? > And in order to understand that, you've gotta come from the other perspective. > If you take a look at bands like Korn (my all-time favorite band, I'm proud to > say - I'm afraid TMBG _does_ come in a very close second, tied with Loreena > McKennitt), NIN, and Marilyn Manson, the kind of raw emotion that flows from > the people in the band is pretty much unseen in a band like TMBG. Now I'm not > saying that TMBG doesn't have any emotion; far from it - I could name a whole > slew of songs that are extraordinarily emotional, but so could you. > > What people listen to those kind of bands for is because the noise coming forth > from the bands very closely match the rage of emotions that is probably going > through their heads at the time... Try being manic/depressive sometime... > You'll quickly find out that there's simply times when a lighter-sounding band > like TMBG just isn't going to cut it. > > So why exactly do _I_ love Marilyn Manson (yes, for all of you worried people > out there, TMBG is higher on my list)? It's mostly _because_ he throws so > much dirt in people's eyes. If you're in a band like TMBG, all you've got > to worry about is people who can't understand what you're talking about. > When you're in a band like Marilyn Manson, you've got to worry about hordes > of homophobic, religious-right fanatics, proclaiming your eternal damnation. > How do you think Korn's song "Clown" came to be? > > So, to end my rant, I'll leave you with this: > I am a devout TMBG fan. I own all their albums, their first two on vinyl as > well, and the few meager singles I've been able to get my hands on. > I am also a devout Marilyn Manson fan. I own all of his albums (although > most haven't made their way on to my CD list yet...), and a few singles I've > noticed lying around at CD stores. > > So what does that say to you? I'd say it means "Open your eyes a little bit." > Try to become a little more accepting of something that you really can't > understand or relate to. Isn't that what the whole point of being a TMBG fan > is, anyway? > > > again. "Marilyn" (real name? ryan or something) would be thrilled with > > Brian Welch, I think... > > "Insanity is the final defense.... It's hard to get a refund when the > salesman is sniffing at your crotch and baying at the moon." - Anon. > CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.snc.edu/~kucecj > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:40:12 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: non-TMBG: we're on TV Ratings now? Message-ID: Well, there's definitly no harm in rating tv shows, and what if (in many cases) a parent is not there? -Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-04-06 14:14:34 EDT, you write: > > << And that is why the TV rating system kicks ass so much. More power to > informing people! Down with blatant censorship! :) >> > > Huh? Actually I think the TV-rating system is a step in the wrong direction. > The government is peeking it's little snout into more and more of our > business every day. > If people are too stupid to realize that they don't like the content of a > certain show, or don't want thier kids watching it, or whatever, they have > (and have always had) the power to change the channel or turn the bloody (I > like sounding British) thing off! They shouldn't need a little "TV-PG" symbol > to let them know. > > Anywayyyyy... > > -Geoff "I can't WAIT to be old enough to pay my own taxes!" Sondergard > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:54:39 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson Message-ID: That last comment you made makes it clear that you don't even have the intelligence to argue. I'm going to make a lot of enemies and be thrown off the list! -Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 LeviAdams@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-04-06 15:40:02 EDT, you write: > > << I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as > people. > What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch is (or at > least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of values > there!!! >> > > um.. i reccommend reading up on satanic principals and then > reading the bible. satanism-bashing is very typical, but that's just because > of the stories people hear about it.. i'm not a satanist, but i agree with a > lot of their ideas (like, um, that people should consider themselves capable > of making a difference as opposed to being sheep) > > please.. everyone's entitled to their opinions.. but i'm still disappointed > by the closed-mindedness of people who say "the majority of people think this > is evil, therefore anyone who disagrees deserves to die!" > > > > -levi > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33487E33.1229@swbell.net> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:55:15 -0700 From: Agamemnon Organization: Harold T. Nutsacks' Fine Used Motors Subject: TMBG: Hello, goodbye, peace A courageous Wisconsin reviewer wrote: >For over a decade, the two Johns of They Might Be Giants have been busymaking some of the most innovative music anywhere. The past year has been especially hectic. John Linnell has continued with "hello," a compact disc digest of great new music Ah...good...but...ah...well, isn't Hello Mr Flansburgh's project? Well, to be fair, el otro John chips in rather frequently. And speaking of Hello, WHERE THE *$(!@*$ IS MY GORDON GANO CD?????? Truth be told, that's the only reason i paid my $$$ to be in Hello. Hello, isn't it now APRIL of 97? Is there a number I can call? Email is useless in this sort of thing. weary, josh ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:56:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406225510_571024156@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Jessica at the NBA I was at a Charlotte Hornets game last night and during one of the time outs they played the song Jessica over the loud speakers. I was surprized at this because its not too often I hear a TMBG song out in public, but then I remembered that I didn't think Jessica was an original TMBG song. Oh well it sounded like the WDTSS version. P.S. For those of you wondering who won. Matt Geigor tipped it in right as the buzzer went off for a 115-113 Charlotte win over 76er's. TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:02:09 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson Message-ID: Masturbating into bottles, pissing on the crowd, giving blow jobs on stage. Nothing nasty there. And no one ever said people don't have the right to like them. We just hate them for their cheap way of selling out the nation's brainless (which make up most of their fans). -Mark On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Apr-97 NON-TMBG: A hopefully > final.. by Kamesennin@aol.com > > > > I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as > > people. What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch > > is (or at least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of > > values there!!! > > What the hell kind of difference does it make? He's entitled to his > beliefs, and he's entitled to say them. For someone complaining about > someone's values and morals, you sure have a lot to learn. > > > That's ridiculous. I'm not throwing blind hate at him, I'm pointing out > > what should be already be obvious: the man is a walking, talking, > > (unfortunately) breathing pile of his own shit, if not because of his > > attitude towards morals and his repulsive actions, then becuase of his > > taking advantage of all those people who "blindly follow his ideas because > > they're shocking." People should like something because it's good, not > > because of it's shock value. > > Repulsive actions? To who? You, apparently. He must not find them > repulsive; otherwise he would not participate in them. > > > Well if he does have to worry about this (yeah I'm sure he loses a lot of > > sleep wondering if people like him or not) it is no one's fault but his > > own. When you go around looking like a shit-encrusted zombie with millions > > of mindless devotees on a leash, you should expect decent people to scorn > > you. When Ozzy Osbourne bit the heads off live birds during concerts, some > > people scorned him, and he deserved it. Shock sells, and people like this > > take advantage of it, but that still doesn't make it right. > > to quote TMBG: there is no right or wrong. it's a matter of your own > personal values. you happen to find such actions distasteful - guess > what? you DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO OR WATCH THEM! > > > Actually the point of being a TMBG fan is to enjoy somehting that I CAN > > relate to and understand. I should never have to even try to accept the > > crap that manson or anyone like him spews. There's nothing wrong with > > having standards, and disliking something that you believe doesn't live up > > to those standards. > > granted. However, telling other people that they may not appreciate > something because you disagree with it is just as bad as what you're > accusing them of. > > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: <19970406.230947.4518.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:09:11 EDT On Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:19:43 -0500 "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." writes: >I read a rather disturbing message from someone who said they heard >snail shell >on real world. That's not disturbing, but this is... > > >"I was flipping through the channels..." > > >I DON'T THINK SO! You made that up because you were afraid people >would scorn >you for watching MTV. Well I say to heck with them! Come out of the >ditch! >Admit that you were watching MTV. I was watching it too! I was >watching that >whole British marathon and I'm proud to say it! Why would anyone be embarrassed to watch MTV? I watch it all of the time. Actually, I want M2 because all I really like is the music videos. Has anyone ever seen Them on MTV? I never have. Also, I've only heard Them on the radio twice in my life. The first time was last summer when they played Snail Shell on 107.9 The End (Cleveland). The second time was about two weeks ago they played Don't Let's Start on the same station. It was the version on Misc. T. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ From: dream@student.adelaide.edu.au Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:54:26 +0930 (CST) Message-ID: hi. i'm a newbie here at this list. i'm in adelaide, south australia, and saw my first tmbg show here a couple of months ago, and boy did they rock! well, now i've introduced myself i'm going to lay low for a while to see what you guys are on about ------ Amanda ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 23:56:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970406235616_1253375011@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hey, Ad! Adam Poskitt, please mail me. Your OMLT confirmation bounced. --Christy ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: concerts (horns) Message-ID: <19970407.001733.4518.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 00:17:16 EDT I've been hearing from a lot of you who went to recent shows that They have a horn section with them now. This is so cool. Does anyone know if this is going to last? I sure hope so because I'm going to a show on the 26th. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704070431.AAA10383@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 6 Apr 1997 22:31:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG on the air TM>Wow, all Linnell songs, I'll bet Flansy feels left out! Maybe I'm just TM>listening to the wrong stations. What stations do you listen to (or if TM>you're not in Cleveland, what type of station)? I've only heard Them on the local "alternative" station. I'm suprised that in a big city like cleveland, They haven't found a niche on some kind of station... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:24:33 -0400 Message-Id: <199704070424.AAA09064@backup.MNSi.Net> From: John DeMarco Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello, goodbye, peace >Ah...good...but...ah...well, isn't Hello Mr Flansburgh's project? Well, >to be fair, el otro John chips in rather frequently. And speaking of >Hello, WHERE THE *$(!@*$ IS MY GORDON GANO CD?????? Truth be told, >that's the only reason i paid my $$$ to be in Hello. Hello, isn't it now >APRIL of 97? Is there a number I can call? Email is useless in this >sort of thing. > >weary, >josh > I received my August and September Hello CD's in mid-March with a note that contained the following: " You are probably wondering where October, November and December are hiding. Well, they are being pressed as we speak and should be in the post in two or three weeks. With those discs will arrive the autographed Mono Puff libretto." So hopefully it won't be long now. Vince ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-96 *****************************