Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 97 Tuesday, 8 April 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: work....argh!! Re: TMBG: The deal with Live in NY! CD NON-TMBG: levi speaks TMBG: Australian Music/Culture TMBG: CD Palindrome CD TMBG: Counterfeit Fake vs. Counterfeit Faker Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts RE: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake Re: TMBG: Jessica at the NBA TMBG: My 2 cents worth TMBG: One other thing... TMBG: mp3 TMBG: Has anyone ever traded with...? TMBG: tmbg live in ny... TMBG: tmbg live in ny... TMBG: TMBG and the NBA TMBG: sort of TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: Mono Puff & Felt Tip Pen: Hello Back to School? Re: TMBG:TMBG & Al (not again!) TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Re: NON-TMBG: levi speaks Re: TMBG: CD Palindrome CD Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. TMBG: :( TMBG: Utter nonsense: The return of the Immortal thread! Re: TMBG: Would the real Dr. Spock please stand up? TMBG: More bouncy mail! :P TMBG: IPCD People, please read Re: TMBG: :( Non-TMBG: I'm back, thoughts, you don't care... TMBG: Non-tmbg: mp3 Non-TMBG: No Doubt TMBG: Video with Then? Re:sorta-kinda-TMBG:ginsburg TMBG: I need your help! Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt Re: TMBG: :( NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Re: TMBG: Re: EKYIW TMBG: Whoaaa... Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson TMBG: Hey TMBG: long awaited set-list Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. TMBG: I need your help! TMBG: I should be allowed to have something to think about Re: TMBG: I need your help! TMBG: First posting, IRC, IUP, Bootlegs, Interview TMBG: New York City by the Cubs Re: TMBG: New York City by the Cubs TMBG: Pink Vinyl, Review, I hate Acronyms, Posting, Acoustic Show, They Chests, Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to have something to think about TMBG: Another suggestion..... Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg TMBG: Then in Australia Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg TMBG: questions... Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 07 Apr 1997 17:54:25 +1000 Message-ID: <000CBB19.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: work....argh!! Guys, Most of you will probably be happy to hear I have to drop off for a while due to work. Any of you that want to get in touch with me, please write to me at wombat@hartingdale.com.au Laterz Andrew - Who DOES still want an OMLT, btw... ------------------------------ Date: 7 Apr 1997 07:59:50 GMT From: "Royce M Lee" Message-ID: <01bc428c$f2099460$LocalHost@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: The deal with Live in NY! CD Peter Ohlert wrote in article <19970405.151627.12366.1.Ohlert@juno.com>... > Hiya everyone, > I've seen a lot of discussion and confusion about what exactly the Live > in NY! CD is. Well, I just borrowed it from my friend Dennis who had gotten it 2 years ago form a DJ friend of ours. . Finding it in used CD stores (who > regularly sell these promo cd things) would now be a miracle since it > was pressed in small quantity once. It was probably only meant to be distributed to radio stations so they could play the entire show or just a > track or two. Wrong, Peter. A fellow listie found somewhere called Mod Lang (a US record store) that had several copies. Although I live in Australia, I checked the availability about 2 months ago, received it a week later, and now happily listen to my brand new never opened copy of Live in NY. I suggest you try harder. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@b022.aone.net.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ From: LeviAdams@aol.com Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 04:46:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970407044641_2081491009@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: levi speaks In a message dated 97-04-06 23:20:52 EDT, you write: << That last comment you made makes it clear that you don't even have the intelligence to argue. >> actually, it doesn't take any intelligence to argue, it takes intelligence to try to understand the points everyone else is making and to keep an open mind about them.. which i haven't been getting at all.. i'm sorry i've been adding to this so much, i just thought it'd be interesting to put my views out in the open and see if i'd get anyone willing to accept that i have my own opinions and that there's quite a bit to be said for actually considering everything in this world, as opposed to reaching a conclusion and then finding the reasons to support it (or, more often than not, saying "just because! there's something wrong with you if you disagree!")... i haven't criticized anyone about their beliefs, i'm just trying to spread the idea of understanding. and no, i won't continue any more "arguing"... if it'll make everyone happy, from now on i can keep my ideas to myself.. enough people misunderstand me as it is. oh well.. tmbg love and happiness to you all... -levi the ignorant ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407184103.0076c7ec@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 20:04:52 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: Australian Music/Culture >> > Ah, how totally wrong!!! TMBG must have only seen the coast of >> > Australian and not anything else!!! I mean, I haven't been to the beach for >> > like over a year!!! Most Australians haven't!!! :) AH well... Perceive >> > us as you will... >I love the Australian Perception- you mean, they all don't live in the >outback, eating steaks and bloomin' onions, running around killing >alligators and surfing? I don't believe it! ahahahha Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to say. I mean, I reckon Sydney would be soooo similar to heaps of US cities... And, I never saw a desert before... And, I never saw a crocodile in the wild. :) We're pretty standard people. :) As for music... There is a really good indie scene!!! I mean, GREAT!!! BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 05:57:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: CD Palindrome CD Message-ID: I've had the odd CD shuffling occur with the CD player at work, too. It's a 3-disc changer, and it tends to repeat songs it's already played. Although, I did get Greek #3 followed by Number 3, which was just cooler than anything. Apollo 18 doesn't seem to have higher rate of repeat songs than anything else, although it'll sometimes do 3 songs in a row following the order of the album. OBManson(NON-TMBG): Am I the only one on here who automatically thinks "Charles Manson" instead of "Marilyn Manson" when the word "Manson" is uttered by itself? Maybe I'm just too old, or something.. Beth (who is 25, if you were curious) -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 07:29:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake vs. Counterfeit Faker Message-ID: Just a quick question. Are the songs Counterfeit Fake and Counterfeit Faker different? Counterfeit Fake is on T:TEY, but apparently they also recorded a song called Counterfeit Faker for FS. Thanks, Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:44:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970407094446_1917432404@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Songs? >Do others get this impression that They have a Children's feeling about them? I >know about all the Tiny Toons incidents, but besides those, ??? >> > >> Well, in a way, yes. Like "Mr. Me," "Particle Man" (fer sure!), and a >> lot of the songs off of Apollo 18 (even my beloved "Evil Twin") have this >> bouncy rhythm usually reserved for children's music in today's modern >> society. The lyrics, on the other hand, are definitly not kiddie. And, >> knowing the listening patterns of most people, they listen to the music >> first, then the lyrics later. And if they do listen to the lyrics, it is >> only superficially without taking what they mean behind them. I mean, I >>for instance didn't even think of TMBG having any meaning behind their songs >>until I joined this list- and I had listened to them for years! So beyond even >> the music, sometimes the lyrics can seem very kiddie upon face value. >>Deeper listening like we do proves that it's not children's music, and that's >> probably why we're so defensive... I would like to add that one of the amazing things about TMBG's music is how it can sometimes be so wonderfully child _like_ without being child _ish_. It all has to do with the joy They take in making their music (anyone who's seen Linnell's rapturous expression while hammering away at his keyboard or conducting "Spy" knows what I mean). And, yes, it can often work as kid's music; for example, I've made tapes for friends for their kids with the most child-friendly songs like "Why Does The Sun Shine," "James K. Polk," "Cowtown," "Particle Man," etc., and the parents end up liking them, too! Their music works on so many levels; however, I doubt it would appeal to anyone who isn't young at heart, but then, who wants people like that around anyway :) Kay, another obsolete child ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970407134621.006cf9e8@pworld.net.ph> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 21:46:21 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Mismirilda wrote: >> best bet for converting people. Everyone hates Floodies, so that's out; Um, I hope I'm not asking a stupid newbie question, but what does "everyone hates Floodies" mean? Because I love Flood and I really don't understand. Does this mean that Flood is the worst rated TMBG album, even among list members? Whack me over the head with a stick, reggie ************** " Cheeks!" Ambush Bug ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970407144534.00675000@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 10:45:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Fe-man, Boston, converts At 09:46 PM 4/7/97 +0800, you wrote: >Um, I hope I'm not asking a stupid newbie question, but what does "everyone >hates Floodies" mean? Because I love Flood and I really don't understand. >Does this mean that Flood is the worst rated TMBG album, even among list >members? My guess is that a Floodie is a TMBG "fan" that has Flood and only Flood. >************** >" Cheeks!" > Ambush Bug TTYL, -Adam, an incredibly huge Ambush Bug fan :> /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:45:37 -0700 >---------- >From: Adam Tyner[SMTP:ctyner@awod.com] >Sent: Saturday, April 05, 1997 2:23 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake > >They're completely different, although they have really similar names. >Counterfeit Faker (I can send you a RealAudio file of it if you want; I >think I have a copy on disk somewhere) is a country-type song... Pretty >bizarre. :> No more bizarre than Hotel Detective vs (She Was A) Hotel Detective, 2 songs which look almost identical but are also radically different. (: Jesse >TTYL, > >-Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 10:53:07 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Jessica at the NBA At 9:56 PM -0500 4/6/97, TmbgManiac@aol.com wrote: >I was at a Charlotte Hornets game last night and during one of the time outs >they played the song Jessica over the loud speakers. I was surprized at this >because its not too often I hear a TMBG song out in public, but then I >remembered that I didn't think Jessica was an original TMBG song. Oh well it >sounded like the WDTSS version. Jessica is an Allman Brothers song, i would be very suprised if they played the TMBG cover instead of the original... >P.S. >For those of you wondering who won. Matt Geigor tipped it in right as the >buzzer went off for a 115-113 Charlotte win over 76er's. it certainly isn't fun being a Sixers fan, oh well... Trippy ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Jeff Eberlin" Subject: TMBG: My 2 cents worth Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:53:54 -0700 Hello everyone, I've been on the list for a couple weeks now, and I decided it's time to delurk and talk about my Giant feelings. Firstly, I'd like to say there's nothing finer than programming while listening to TMBG. Luckily here I get to listen to music while I work, and TMBG is high on my list of listening material. Lately, ever since "Then" really, I've been even more obsessed then usual with Them. I'm a songwriter, and I find myself writing songs about things like they might write about. Yesterday, while waiting in line for the Counting Crows show, my friend and I wrote a song from an Ants point of view. Yes, strange as it is.. (If anyone wants to read it, email me, I don't want to cause another list scandal)).... I also find myself with many of the Pink album songs stuck in my head. She's an angel and Rabid child are the two big ones right now... Those two songs, along with "Hey Mr. DJ I thought we had a deal", "Mainstream U.S.A.", and "Fake Out In Buenos Aries" are some of their finest work and have helped me turn on my friend to Their music. They're GENIUSES. Does anyone know the address of the "We Might Be Giants Too" tribute site? I want to submit a song (I'm doing an acoustic version of "The End Of The Tour"..) but I lost the address and I can't find it anywhere... and lastly, can I find Monopuff at my local record store? I havn't tried, but I'd love to hear what ol' Flansy is doing on the side. One other observation. It seems most of the people on this list are female. Is there a greater population of female Giantheads, or just more of them who post. Till the end of the tour, Jeff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Fake it to me - What is fake? - A fake worse than death Three fakes, you're out - in Buenos Aries. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Jeff Eberlin" Subject: TMBG: One other thing... Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 10:00:15 -0700 I was lucky enough to have stumbled across an Austrailian Copy of John Henry which was a double CD and came with (Yes you guessed it) the "Live in NY Show"... It contains: 1) Don't Let's Start 2) Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Begins with just drums, then you hear Linell go "I hear the drum" 3) Particle Man 4) The Statue Got Me High 5) Birdhouse In Your Soul (Alternate Version) 6) Twistin' If anyone wants a copy, let me know and we'll work something out.. it's only about 20 mins or so, but very cool stuff. Jeff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ We'll meet at the end of the tour.... <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407133350.007ed100@mail.vt.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 13:33:51 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: TMBG: mp3 >Could anyone please point me to a Windows program that converts WAVs to MP3s, >so that I could NOT make mp3s of the x-tra songs on "TMBG 1996:The Complete >Factory Showroom Sessions"? The one that I found crashes or screws up every >time I run it. AFAIK there's only one MP3 maker out there (l3enc) and it's a DOS program. You can find it just about anywhere like ftp://198.82.89.54/mp3/mp3%20encoder/ for instance. >I found an .mp3 of cub's version of "New York City", at ftp://198.82.89.54 > It's in the"cub" folder (well duh). Well, not really. It's in /mp3, not /cub. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704071801.OAA87502@acs-mail.bu.edu> From: "wally" Subject: TMBG: Has anyone ever traded with...? Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:56:31 -0400 Hi. I need everyone's help. I set up two trades for boot tapes and still haven't received my tapes. The two people I agreed to trade with have not responded to any of my emails and I fear that I may have been taken for my blanks. Has anyone ever traded with either: Cortney Klumpp (CK8@TIGER.UOFS.EDU) or Malkav Appolonius (otik@juno.com) Are either of these reliable traders? Should I not be concerned? Both trades have been well over a month...the trade with Malkav has been over 2 months. Any input would be great. Please contact me privately so not to bother everyone with this. Thanks! Wally Gobetz wallyg@bu.edu http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8670 ========================================================================= caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704071830.NAA12294@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 13:25:26 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg live in ny... i was wondering what the 2nd disc on the double john henry was. you can order it (import) from www.cdnow.com!!! geoff At 10:00 AM 4/7/97 -0700, you wrote: >I was lucky enough to have stumbled across an Austrailian Copy of John >Henry which was a double CD and came with (Yes you guessed it) the "Live >in NY Show"... > >It contains: > >1) Don't Let's Start >2) Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Begins with just drums, then you hear >Linell go "I hear the drum" >3) Particle Man >4) The Statue Got Me High >5) Birdhouse In Your Soul (Alternate Version) >6) Twistin' > >If anyone wants a copy, let me know and we'll work something out.. it's >only about 20 mins or so, but very cool stuff. > >Jeff >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >We'll meet at the end of the tour.... ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> >Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? >TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) >You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older. >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704071840.NAA71466@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 13:36:04 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg live in ny... i was wondering what the 2nd disc on the double john henry was. you can order it (import) from www.cdnow.com!!! geoff At 10:00 AM 4/7/97 -0700, you wrote: >I was lucky enough to have stumbled across an Austrailian Copy of John >Henry which was a double CD and came with (Yes you guessed it) the "Live >in NY Show"... > >It contains: > >1) Don't Let's Start >2) Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Begins with just drums, then you hear >Linell go "I hear the drum" >3) Particle Man >4) The Statue Got Me High >5) Birdhouse In Your Soul (Alternate Version) >6) Twistin' > >If anyone wants a copy, let me know and we'll work something out.. it's >only about 20 mins or so, but very cool stuff. > >Jeff >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >We'll meet at the end of the tour.... ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> >Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? >TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) >You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older. >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970407185351.00677610@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 11:53:51 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: TMBG and the NBA >I was at a Charlotte Hornets game last night and during one of the time outs >they played the song Jessica over the loud speakers. I was surprized at this >because its not too often I hear a TMBG song out in public, but then I >remembered that I didn't think Jessica was an original TMBG song. You are right in that TMBG didn't write the song. It is a song by the Allman Brothers, and I hear the original version a lot on the radio station I listen to at work. Yet another NBA-TMBG tie-in: Once, on an episode of "Inside the NBA" on TNT/TBS, the whirling disco-like intro to S-E-X-X-Y was used during a segment featuring, I believe, Kevin Johnson. It stopped right before They sing "S E X X Y..." Well, it was pretty neat anyway. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: 07 Apr 97 15:25:52 EDT From: "NOREEN A. SPECHT" <76232.1433@CompuServe.COM> Subject: TMBG: sort of Message-ID: <970407192552_76232.1433_GHM114-1@CompuServe.COM> Well someone asked nonposters to post and as I have been lurking for a while, I'll post. I just got my liscence and I have hear by called "AKA DRIVER" the theme song to my car ( dubbed the Batmobile of Love). I locked my bestest pal Lauren in and forced her to listen to some TMBG stuff and even though she's an adiment TMBG hater she said she liked some of the stuff (especial AKA Driver and I am Not Allowed To Think (which is my personal theme song) prolly becasue she's a huge Allen Ginsberg fan (as well as myself. She got me into him) and I miss him very muchly). So as someone else said this is the best method of getting people to dig thier work. And on my only acid trip I took, I popped in (amoung other cds) Apollo 18 and I have to say "The Statue Got Me High" is one of the wierdest songs to hear while you are legally insane. Well there, i posted something. James Specht ------------------------------ Date: 07 Apr 97 15:30:11 EDT From: "NOREEN A. SPECHT" <76232.1433@CompuServe.COM> Subject: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Message-ID: <970407193010_76232.1433_GHM124-1@CompuServe.COM> Two quick questions: 1. Where can I see TMBG videos besides MTV (ie are there compilations ir cool web sites?) I caught 3 seconds of the end of Birdhouse in Your Soul and I want more then that please. 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" really about drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" sounds like an acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the only one who picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? Do you know the Muffin Man!? James Specht ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:06:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff & Felt Tip Pen: Hello Back to School? Message-ID: Ben or Been here, speculating after a long absence from this list. I heard about "Felt Tip Pen" (if that's indeed the name of the song) over the summer, with people's mentionings of it. I supposed that that song would appear on the Hello Back to School CD-of-the-month selection--which has yet to appear--because of its "school supply" title. That's just a guess. Any guesses about when the final shipment of the Hello Club will go out? Still here, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33495BE1.670DE80@mindless.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 16:41:06 -0400 From: David Hensley Subject: Re: TMBG:TMBG & Al (not again!) Kaylum@aol.com said: > I've said this on a recent "Weird Al Sucks" thread on alt.music.tmbg, but it > bears repeating on this list. When it comes to TMBG and Al, there are two > extremes I can't stand--those who say, "I like TMBG and Al cuz they're both > so WACKY!" and the ones who say, "Don't mention them in the same > breath! > TMBG are _artists_, Al's just a hack." The truth is, they are each highly > talented and don't get the respect they deserve. I've been an Al fan for > many years (he's the one who made me realize how cool an accordion > is--he's a > kick ass accordionist!), and I can appreciate them both for what they are, > and I think most They fans feel the same way--yes, they are very different, > but they're both very good! > > of > TMBG's changed > some stuff Everything > You Know is > Well, there are refs to many TMBG songs, not just Everything Right is Wrong > Again. It is a style parody, which Al does as a tribute to bands he likes, > like Talking Heads and The Police. The Johns didn't even know he did it, so > it's not like he asked and got turned down (though sad to say They probably > would've). You're right--Weird Al and TMBG are far from the same.....but you must realize that Everything You Know Is Wrong is NOT a parody of Everything Right Is Wrong Again just because the titles share three words. EYKIW is one of Al's style-parodies which he is famous for--he does not attempt to directly parody the song but instead parodies the style of the singer. Al did not GET permission from TMBG because he didn't ASK for it, nor would he NEED it because there's nothing illegal about parodying anymore. You may have noticed that Al's Mr. Popeil sounds a bit like the B-52's......or that Dog Eat Dog sounds similar to the Talking Heads....or that Trigger Happy sounds a touch like the Beach Boys, or that Dare to be Stupid sounds a wee bit like Devo. The list goes on and on...and includes Everything You Know Is Wrong being a style-parody of They Might Be Giants. Of course, since you've been an Al fan for many years, I'm sure you already knew that. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407134309.006da3a4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 13:46:25 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Hi 'vryone >So a bit later we discarded the turntable in favor of CDs and put on >Flood. We got to "They Might Be Giants" and it hit me. "DR. SPOCK'S BACK >UP BAND!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!" Imagine my surprise. Um... Spock wasn't a doctor, was he? (Someone with vast ST:TOS knowledge please back me up on this.) "Dr. Spock," however, was a real person. He wrote a child care book, I think. >Is anyone else trying very hard to memorize Greek #3? Me! And I have most of the first verse down! --nicole the wonder nerd P.S. Thank you, all you people who've been recommending Ben Folds Five--I got their debut album and it's severely good... *** "I won't die until I'm dead."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:11:51 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: levi speaks Message-ID: You're not ignorant, and I don't disregard your points. You've made good ones, and I've been thinking more and more about the whole Manson thing. It's just that I've always gotten the impression that you were saying that just because we disagree with you means we're closed-minded. You may not think they're losers, but I'm not going to degrade your intelligence for it. The reason I made that last comment was to see if you knew how overly defensive you were getting. Anyway, we've gone on about this for a long time, and I think it's just been a plague to this list. So long, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:14:15 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: CD Palindrome CD Message-ID: The fact that you think of Charles Manson instead of Marilyn does not make you old, because so do I. You are, however, very old :) -Mark (16, in case you were wondering) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:27:54 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. At 3:46 PM -0500 4/7/97, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >>So a bit later we discarded the turntable in favor of CDs and put on >>Flood. We got to "They Might Be Giants" and it hit me. "DR. SPOCK'S BACK >>UP BAND!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!" Imagine my surprise. > >Um... Spock wasn't a doctor, was he? (Someone with vast ST:TOS knowledge >please back me up on this.) "Dr. Spock," however, was a real person. He >wrote a child care book, I think. > you are absolutely correct, Spock was certainly not a doctor... and there is a doctor Spock who wrote a child care book... hmmm... who are They referring to in the song, are they talking about the guy who wrote the book or did they make a mistake in reference to Mr. Spock, i never thought about that before... oh well Trippy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:36:19 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: :( Message-ID: Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? Well, that kind of sucks. -Mark ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704072137.RAA14836@ginger.vnet.net> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:37:28 EST From: Ride Across the Sky Subject: TMBG: Utter nonsense: The return of the Immortal thread! ** Reply to note from Dan Lee Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:00:38 -0400 (EDT) [Disengaging Lurking Device] Hoop! > standing to the right and front of me. One of them (the one close to me) > was this tall, serious-looking guy wearing a long black coat (can you say, > "sweat to death?"). THIS GUY DID NOT MOVE FOR THE WHOLE SHOW! Not for > Ana Ng, Rhythm Section, Flowers, for nothing. I was thinking, "Who IS > this guy and what planet is he from?" I wish I had the balls to say, Obviously this was another Immortal, come to challenge John Linnell for his head. This would also explain why Linnell sneaked out unpredictably after the show. ;) I also notice (from another post) that they played "Till my Head Falls Off" right before "Dig my Grave" -- coincidence? I think not; it was Linnell mocking this Immortal, sorta like talking trash! I shall now return to making sure everything in my room is stacked neatly on top of everything else. [Engaging Lurking Device] =] Carl Hudkins + chud@vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing [h ] Windows 95 from my hard drive." [e =] --HAL 9000 (Arthur C. Clarke wishes) [r ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:39:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Would the real Dr. Spock please stand up? Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Trippy wrote: ** you are absolutely correct, Spock was certainly not a doctor... and there ** is a doctor Spock who wrote a child care book... hmmm... who are They ** referring to in the song, are they talking about the guy who wrote the book ** or did they make a mistake in reference to Mr. Spock, i never thought about ** that before... oh well A) After that famous quote from _Bones_, the doctor, why did we think Spock was the doctor...? I've never watched the old Star Trek, but even I knew that somehow... well, anyway. B) So, we think it's just a coincidence that one of the Johns' high school friends is named Dan Spock, and that Flans was (I think) in a band (or went to Antioch college or something) with him? RS ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 18:12:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970407181217_1253452455@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: More bouncy mail! :P Jen Gaboury, please e-mail me. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407181414.00688990@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 18:14:17 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IPCD People, please read Hello... I'm back after 3 days of fixing... my computer, that is... My hard drive vomitted all over itself, spilling important documents, Windows 95 system files, and ALL my email and email settings on the floor... So, I'm back now, and I NEED you to email me if you were still on the IPCD List. If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it, and disregard this message. Thanks, -ec ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:25:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: :( Message-ID: > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? > Well, that kind of sucks. Okay, a lot of people have posted about this, and it's starting to piss me off. Allen Ginsberg was an amazing poet, a groundbreaking poet. He wasn't just "that guy whose poem is used in a TMBG song." Ginsberg, along with William S. Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, and many others changed the face of pop culture, not to mention writing styles in the twentieth century. You cannot honestly tell me that serious writers nowadays have not been inspired aby the Beat poets and authors. It more than "kind of sucks", Mark. It's a tragedy. People bemoan the deaths of people that were popular. They look beyond the people that actually matter. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Everything seems good these days but all of my friends are dying..." --Magnapop ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407185028.0068e14c@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 18:50:38 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: I'm back, thoughts, you don't care... Well, after skimming over thew subject lines, and deleting some 150+ messages, I have to say I'm sorry I missed the marilyn manson disscussion.... (sarcasm... I am GLAD I missed the marilyn manson disscussion, all I read was that they suck, and something about "turning gay"... I don't wanna know.) And, um... I read something about a list of frequent posters... Oh! am I on it *blush*??? someon could forward it to me, so I don't have to get off my ass and go to the tmbg.org digest archives... (or you could just say "what the hell are you talking about?") well... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407185210.0068a928@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 18:52:21 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg: mp3 hey, could whoever had the site w/ the what is everyone staring at? mp3 file tell me the address? -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970407190216.00691e04@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:02:18 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: No Doubt hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? am I mistaken? anyhow... -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704072306.TAA76720@acs-mail.bu.edu> From: "wally" Subject: TMBG: Video with Then? Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:03:58 -0400 I heard that some people got a free video with their purchase of Then: The Early Years. I bought my disc at a local shop and wasn't so lucky. Is this video available everywhere, or in only some places, or just for a limited time? Wally Gobetz wallyg@bu.edu http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8670 ========================================================================= caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33495313.1B8B@baka.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 20:03:32 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re:sorta-kinda-TMBG:ginsburg > > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? > Well, that kind of sucks. Allen Ginsburg? Yes, kind of sucks does not begin to describe it. The man who wrote "Howl" the poem which brought us the line "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical" is dead at 70 of liver cancer(I think). He wrote many other great poems like Kaddish and a bunch of others. He will be missed greatly. desperate attempt to include TMBG content in message: Uhhhh, you know what? I really really like till my head falls off. A lot. Am I the only one(...staring at the sun) -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah, who is fourteen, but wishes he had been around long enough to have been a beat poet. They ruled. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:03:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: I need your help! Message-ID: Hello fellow TMBG listies! I was just granted an interview with John and John as part of their concert stop at The College of NJ tommorow night. I am real nervous and I am at a loss for questions. If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated. The interview is being taped at 5pm EDT tommorow and will be aired on my show at WTSR on Friday 4/11 at 1pm EDT. I will have a review of the concert on Wednesday. Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Gee angel, won't you take these back? Gee Angel, gee angel I need some slack There's nothing in this world that I'd rather do Than buy a set of wings and fly away with you" -Sugar, "Gee Angel" * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3349A8D5.5C60@swbell.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:09:25 -0700 From: Agamemnon Organization: Harold T. Nutsacks' Fine Used Motors Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt Whgoever posted with the Hello info, thanks a bundle! I'm quite relieved. Gordon Gano, you are a god. >hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No! No! No! Not to suggest No Doubt are bad, in fact I rather enjoy bits and pieces of them, but whatever they are, it ain't ska. They sold out the beat, a truly inexcusable act. I can think of many bands that gained popularity without selling out (think of one silently right now, without starting angry chains of posts! It's fun!) but No Doubt is NOT among them. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:11:15 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: :( Message-ID: Listen, I didn't really give that much of a shit about that guy. He must have been a really close friend to you. -Mark On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that > > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? > > Well, that kind of sucks. > > Okay, a lot of people have posted about this, and it's starting to piss me > off. Allen Ginsberg was an amazing poet, a groundbreaking poet. He > wasn't just "that guy whose poem is used in a TMBG song." Ginsberg, along > with William S. Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, and many others changed the face > of pop culture, not to mention writing styles in the twentieth century. > You cannot honestly tell me that serious writers nowadays have not been > inspired aby the Beat poets and authors. It more than "kind of sucks", > Mark. It's a tragedy. People bemoan the deaths of people that were > popular. They look beyond the people that actually matter. See ya. > > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu > > "Everything seems good these days but all of my friends are dying..." > --Magnapop > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:23:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? > Well, that kind of sucks. > -Mark > Oh, the irony, the delicious irony....judging from your remarks on Marilyn Manson, in which you pass judgement on their less-than-mainstream lifestyle and make plenty of uninformed homophobic comments, claiming that they "cause" people to "become" gay, I gather that you don't know much about Allen Ginsberg or his poetry. In fact, I'm almost certain you've never read any more of "Howl" than the two lines (that's *two lines*, not "much of the material") quoted in "I Should Be Allowed to Think". I'll just leave it at that and let you read it. Better be careful, it might make you "become" gay. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3349900F.1587@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:23:43 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG (what else?) Tom Hare wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Whoops... sorry about that reply Vlad... i was trying to cancel but it > didn't work out... > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG > tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > > > > Firstly, the rubber band in Spiraling Shape is in the chorus (and the > > soooong they plaaaay is that guy with the messed up face). > > Um...... sorry to mention this BUT, the chorus of Spiralling Shape does > not include the lyrics to Your Own Worst Enemy. Which song is the ruybber > band actually in, YOWE or SS? > > > > > The Rock Guitar Expressionist Botch-Up was in a song with a guitar solo > > that Flansy tried to changea little and totally screwed himself over. > > He totally botched it. So after the song he gets up and kinda > > sheepishly says something to the effect of, "Uhhh... yeah, sorry about > > that little solo there, I was kinda trying to express myself as a rock > > guitarist, but it didn't really work out." > > Aieeee!!! I made a nice little botch-up of my own! Sorry, it's in Your Own Worst Enemy. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33499104.45A@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:27:48 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: EKYIW Adam Tyner wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > At 12:57 PM 4/6/97 -0600, you wrote: > > > >Oh yeah, btw, adding to that stupid string about EYKIW, it WAS a spoof > >of TMBG's ETRIWA, but the Johns didn't give him persmission, so he just > >changed some stuff so he wouldn't get sued (maybe he sould have called > >it Everything You Know is AKA). > > Ummmmm.....no. > > Al is a tremendously huge TMBG fan, and EYKIW was written as a tribute to > Them. It was NEVER meant as a spoof, and there's not need to get permission > since it's a TRIBUTE... Have you even HEARD the song? > > -Adam, who's a little peeved... > /----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 uhh... yeah... all my friends are like scary ol' Wierd Al fanatic worshipper cult members (like me and TMBG)... and I was listnening to them... maybe I was a little wrong (okay, a lot wrong) Oh yeah, and in reply to the thing about Alanis Morrissette: Hilarious! I can't stand Alanis Morissette... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334992FB.5128@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:36:11 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Whoaaa... I was just listening to Greek #3 and actually foudn myself LIPSYNCHING! Of course, I got like 1 in 4 words right as I've only heard it like 3 billion and two times... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33499431.479D@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:41:21 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A hopefully final word on manson Don't forget stripping nude in Miami and ripping up a Mormon Bible on stage in Salt Lake City, UT. Oh yeah; if you all hate the Manson topic, just don't send any messages! > Masturbating into bottles, pissing on the crowd, giving blow jobs on > stage. Nothing nasty there. And no one ever said people don't have the > right to like them. We just hate them for their cheap way of selling out > the nation's brainless (which make up most of their fans). > -Mark > > On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Apr-97 NON-TMBG: A hopefully > > final.. by Kamesennin@aol.com > > > > > > > I'm not even talking about manson as a band, I'm talking about them as > > > people. What the hell is so wrong with morals and values? The sonofabitch > > > is (or at least brags that he is) a steady follower of satan. Great set of > > > values there!!! > > > > What the hell kind of difference does it make? He's entitled to his > > beliefs, and he's entitled to say them. For someone complaining about > > someone's values and morals, you sure have a lot to learn. > > > > > That's ridiculous. I'm not throwing blind hate at him, I'm pointing out > > > what should be already be obvious: the man is a walking, talking, > > > (unfortunately) breathing pile of his own shit, if not because of his > > > attitude towards morals and his repulsive actions, then becuase of his > > > taking advantage of all those people who "blindly follow his ideas because > > > they're shocking." People should like something because it's good, not > > > because of it's shock value. > > > > Repulsive actions? To who? You, apparently. He must not find them > > repulsive; otherwise he would not participate in them. > > > > > Well if he does have to worry about this (yeah I'm sure he loses a lot of > > > sleep wondering if people like him or not) it is no one's fault but his > > > own. When you go around looking like a shit-encrusted zombie with millions > > > of mindless devotees on a leash, you should expect decent people to scorn > > > you. When Ozzy Osbourne bit the heads off live birds during concerts, some > > > people scorned him, and he deserved it. Shock sells, and people like this > > > take advantage of it, but that still doesn't make it right. > > > > to quote TMBG: there is no right or wrong. it's a matter of your own > > personal values. you happen to find such actions distasteful - guess > > what? you DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO OR WATCH THEM! > > > > > Actually the point of being a TMBG fan is to enjoy somehting that I CAN > > > relate to and understand. I should never have to even try to accept the > > > crap that manson or anyone like him spews. There's nothing wrong with > > > having standards, and disliking something that you believe doesn't live up > > > to those standards. > > > > granted. However, telling other people that they may not appreciate > > something because you disagree with it is just as bad as what you're > > accusing them of. > > > > -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"genius survives; all else is claimed by death. * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"There's something you've done, and you've Become a Robot!!" * * -TMBG * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:08:54 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: Hey Message-ID: Could whoever who has the list of frequent list posters forward it to me? I must have looked over it. -Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:14:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: TMBG: long awaited set-list Message-ID: Okay okay Dan....I grabbed it off my wall...and unschlacked it just for you. Its kinda hard to write in computer form but Ill do my best Critic Intro | XTC/EXQ "Oh, No" Intro Rhythm /Cowtown Jim OConnor Purple Spider | Istanbul PuppetHead Number Three /Sleep | Latin Mr. Me | \|/ I'll Sink Manhattan Bird | No One ---------------------- |------------| | \|/ 32 Footsteps |Full Intro | | GTR /You'll Miss Me | SEXXY | | ------------- ---------------------- |------------| | Twist Hide Away | Till /Hotel Detective Particle | Dig ---------------------- NYC | Ana Ng | *Shoehorn |------------| | *Lie Still | Cannon | | She's An Angel |------------| | ---------------------- Polk | Nothing Where /Famous Polka Older /Spy So thats my attepmt to copy the list. The Jim OConnor in the corner is where he signed it :) Its actually backwards.They went Right to left instead of left paper to right.And the left paper is handwritten and the right is typed. Katie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:28:55 +1000 (EST) From: Jason Harper Subject: Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Hi 'vryone > > >So a bit later we discarded the turntable in favor of CDs and put on > >Flood. We got to "They Might Be Giants" and it hit me. "DR. SPOCK'S BACK > >UP BAND!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!" Imagine my surprise. > > Um... Spock wasn't a doctor, was he? (Someone with vast ST:TOS knowledge > please back me up on this.) "Dr. Spock," however, was a real person. He > wrote a child care book, I think. Being a big ST fan I can verify that you are right on both cases. Spock is not a Doctor, in fact his official position is Lieutenant Commander/Commander depending on the series. He was often confused with Dr Benjamin Spock, a child care guru of the 60's. He later became prominent in the late 80's for something else, but I can't remember what. BYE Jason ***************************************************************************** I think the three most important lessons to be learned from "Star Trek" would be tolerance, cooperation and the need for good tailoring. Patrick Stewart ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704080129.VAA28687@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 7 Apr 1997 19:25:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: I need your help! WH>Hello fellow TMBG listies! I was just granted an interview with John and WH>John as part of their concert stop at The College of NJ tommorow night. WH>I am real nervous and I am at a loss for questions. If anyone can help me WH>it will be greatly appreciated. The interview is being taped at 5pm EDT WH>tommorow and will be aired on my show at WTSR on Friday 4/11 at 1pm EDT. WH>I will have a review of the concert on Wednesday. WH>Craig Well, you can always ask how Their respective side projects (John- Monopuff and John- Hello) have affected Their work as TMBG. I've often wondered how They work everything out with the multiple bands and all... Ask Them if there is a collective term They use for all of us, Their devoted fans (ie giant heads? Them? dorks?). Also see if you can find out anything about the new album's relese date (I believe I've heard it's called "Thing"). Another thing I'd like to know is how They think Then:TEY was recieved. Just some stuff to go on... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com PS- One more thing. Please post a copy of this interveiw. That would be cool. You are a lucky guy (I guess that's two...). to: IN:whyte@TCNJ.EDU cc: IN:tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:39:03 +1000 From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: I should be allowed to have something to think about I noticed in the paper the other day that Alan Gainsberg (sp?) died the other day, the man who recently did 'The ballad of the Skeletons'. What has this got to do with They, I hear you cry (I have particularly good hearing! :) ). Well, he was a poet, and the poem they quoted in the Newspaper started "I saw the best minds of my generations destroyed by madness, starving hysterical" (I hope that's right!!). Just thought I'd share. Nicka PS It's probably the fist time I've sung along to the newspaper!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:03:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704080203.WAA19272@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I need your help! More questions: * Will 'Allison' from Hitting The Ground be released on a soundtrack, or will it appear on Thing? * Now that Hello Recs. isn't putting out any new material, will Linnell move to a label like Rykodisc, and will the Hello material be re-released? * Why wasn't 'Hell Hotel' on Then? * Any plans for old Dial-A-Song material? Is another Restless album featuring DASs and unreleased material going to come out? TTYL, -Adam At 07:25 PM 4/7/97 EDT, you wrote: > >Well, you can always ask how Their respective side projects (John- >Monopuff and John- Hello) have affected Their work as TMBG. I've often >wondered how They work everything out with the multiple bands and all... > Ask Them if there is a collective term They use for all of us, Their >devoted fans (ie giant heads? Them? dorks?). Also see if you can >find out anything about the new album's relese date (I believe I've >heard it's called "Thing"). Another thing I'd like to know is how They >think Then:TEY was recieved. Just some stuff to go on... > >Chris >UtopiaOne@qconline.com > >PS- One more thing. Please post a copy of this interveiw. That would >be cool. You are a lucky guy (I guess that's two...). > > >to: IN:whyte@TCNJ.EDU >cc: IN:tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704080311.WAA11685@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 22:13:02 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: First posting, IRC, IUP, Bootlegs, Interview This my first posing, hopefully the first of many. I recently got off the digest and got on the normal list. It's much cooler. The first thing I wanted to mention is IRC. Get on IRC's Undernet and join #tmbg.You'll probably want to get mIRC if you're just starting out and that is available from http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/6000/ There's almost always someone on to talk to about They. It's a super group of people who always welcome a new person. Also, I live in central PA and I think that the best chance I'd get to see TMBG is at Indiana University of PA on the 27th or 28th or whenever it is. Is anyone from around Williamsport going? I'm only 15 and can't drive. Also, where can I go (call?) to find out info and possibly get tickets? Next up, I have a VERY megar bootleg collection (three shows). I'm one of them insecure types and I'm not sure that I'm comfortable taping any of them for anyone cause I'm sure I'd mess them up, and look like an ass, etc. If anyone will trade fair to a newbie (not 2:1, that's not cool) I'd love you. I'd of course, include all postage and shipping materials, etc. Thanks sooo much if any super cool person out there can help me with this. I'm going to start actually trading soon, but I'd like a few more tapes first. For the guy who's going to interview They- First of all, you're a lucky little person. You should ask them how long they continue to do this and if they see themselves as one of those bands that would re-unite to tour like 15 years after they decide to not bee a band anymore (perish the thought). I'm also really curious about their views on drugs, but that might be kinda hard to work in. Just some ideas I had. That's about it for now, methinks. Dylan "I had my sig file like that, I'm not a Leffel copier :-p" Flipse -Dylan aka-"Stan" Flipper" "Moron" Flipse-dflipse@csrlink.net- -http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:19:35 -0400 (EDT) From: mcduffie@scsn.net (James McDuffie) Subject: TMBG: New York City by the Cubs Message-ID: Okay I downloaded this copy of New York City by the Cubs off of 198.82.89.54 aka psavage1.campus.vt.edu. I think it is a pretty cool version can some people shed some more info on this group? +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ James McDuffie (mcduffie@scsn.net) - http://www.scsn.net/users/mcduffie/ "Windows is, at best, a priggish, over refined interface modeled after the sissified Macintosh operating system interface." - John C. Dvorak To assume makes an ass out of YOU. Leave ME out of this. +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:01:25 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: New York City by the Cubs Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, James McDuffie wrote: > Okay I downloaded this copy of New York City by the Cubs off of > 198.82.89.54 aka psavage1.campus.vt.edu. I think it is a pretty cool > version can some people shed some more info on this group? The band is called cub and consists of two Lisa's and a Robynn. They're from Vancouver BC, and if you wanna check out their label, Mint Records, it's at http://mintrecs.com/ (I can never get this page to work right from home, so beware.) NYC is pretty typical of their sound -- Though apparently they're trying not to be labeled as "cute" too much anymore. I have their 3 CDs, and they're a fun band to listen to if you can take their "minimalistic pop music potpourri" as the Mint catalog puts it. That's about all I know about 'em, which isn't much. :) "Satan sucks, but you're the best! Holy smokes, you pass the test. When I'm with you, I feel blessed, My chinchilla." -cub -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:18:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970407231736_638664838@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Pink Vinyl, Review, I hate Acronyms, Posting, Acoustic Show, They Chests, Hello 41- Well TMBGers, my monitor was down for about a week or so, but now I have it back, and everything is the correct color. Which is nice. This is going to be a long post broken down into subjects. Read what you will, some of it will be old threads. Pink Album on Vinyl- Well, I'm an insane collector, so I had to have it on vinyl (which I do). I think a bigger challenge is to get the stuff not offered by the info letter on vinyl. Review- A friend sent this to me, I belive it's from the Boston Globe, because it says so. I don't think it surfaced anywhere... (April 2) - John Flansburgh, the bespectacled guitar-playing half of the quirky pop duo They Might Be Giants, is on the phone from Down Under and he is asked how the earthy Australians are perceiving the nerdy New Yorkers. ''We're popularly misunderstood here,'' says Flansburgh, with good cheer. ''They're into unpretentious music in general - they like their rock straight, no chaser, and they somehow have mistaken us for an unpretentious band, and we don't have the nerve to tell them we're art-rockers. It's a very unneurotic culture. In some ways, imagine if California had turned out OK. There's a lot of the beach-culture thing, but it's pretty urban. And it's summer. We get to completely miss winter! We might be pretentious, but we're not stupid.'' No, they're not. Flansburgh and partner, accordionist-keyboardist John Linnell, have carved out a sizable cult following over the past decade as purveyors of catchy, multilayered pop with hits such as ''Birdhouse in Your Soul'' and ''S-E-X-X-Y.'' The duo has expanded the band over the course of the years and, in concert, it's now a septet. Sometimes. Here's what they're doing in an upcoming concert: ''We've supersized the show,'' says Flansburgh. (They Might Be Giants as fast food? For an extra 39 cents ... ) ''We're opening for ourselves. It's They Might Be Giants circa '89 opening for They Might Be Giants '97. We're doing this set of songs from back then, from 'Lincoln,' from the first album and obscure songs. First, we'll do the duo show, for 30-40 minutes, 14 songs. It's like leapfrogging backwards. I think in doing this we realized how much the (duo) format made us completely different than a regular rock band. That wasn't necessarily our intention. But it reminded us how much we were not a rock band for five years. Probably the only people who thought we were a rock band were onstage. (The duo format) started to feel like a puppet show.'' But here's where Flansburgh feels They Might Be Giants has an advantage over some groups with similar longevity. ''Because we've always done what we were interested in, we don't hate our careers. A lot of bands do things they're not quite interested in, and you see people be tortured by their early careers - the 'unrepresentative first single.' '' This tour coincides with the release of a double-CD compilation of early material on Restless Records, ''Then: The Earlier Years.'' They're signed to Elektra and plan to record a new album this summer; Flansburgh will release an album in the fall with his side band, Monopuff. Because TMBG often incorporates humor into its songs, the combo gets tagged with labels such as quirky and novelty. ''As I've gotten older,'' says Flansburgh, ''I've realized it's our cross to bear. It doesn't necessarily reflect on our intentions or is the sum total of what we do. But it's better not to become some contrarian rock guy - just protesting a very surface read of what you do. A lot of bands, all they do is demand they be taken seriously. We appear insignificant because we don't demand to be taken seriously, but it's my contention that rock music in general is not important. You might want to understand that the medium of your expression is trivial.'' Nevertheless, Flansburgh says, ''the pop song is such an incredibly interesting vehicle for ideas. It's really efficient, streamlined. It's this great compressed thought. You can achieve so much perfection within that medium. It's like haiku, its brevity is where its strength lies ... I think we communicate a lot of interesting ideas, and there's a lot to dive into. We're not a party band, not just a good-time band. We're interested in a lot of adult angst-filled issues, but how you present those ideas, it's part of our job to keep it interesting. It's not just about getting it off your chest. I feel like we're working within this self-serious medium in a more realistic way... Everybody in rock wants to be taken more seriously. It's kind of grim. I don't think this is what Chuck Berry or Little Richard wanted. I don't think this is our heritage: to be crying in the corner saying people don't understand me.'' But he says being misunderstood is the price they pay for being ambitious. ''We do a lot of different kinds of things. We do songs that are messed up and don't make immediate sense and we do some that are relatively straight ahead. We do character songs. We have a continuing love affair with arrangement, to take a normal idea and turn it inside out or take a lopsided idea and put it in a pristine setting to make it seem justified. I can't be surprised or complain that this strange, complicated art-rock band is misunderstood.'' Acronyms- I have to say when I was on the list for the first time, these confused the heck out of me. I have to say they still do. Down with Acronyms! On TMBG set lists, it doesn't say TG/IANYB, and I doubt it ever will. Posting- I hate to harp on specific people, so I wont, but when I got all my mail from when I couldn't, there were certain list members that had many many posts. Some were short, some weren't. Let's try to keep it to a minimum. I know some people get overwhelmed with the number of messages on this thing and leave. Let's help them out. Flood Acoustic Show- After the Then Drum Machine goes away, I think They should do a "Flood Acoustic Show." Horn section is fine, Flans on acoutsic guitar, no Eric, Linnell on Accordion and sax. It would be really great. They Chests- I am now going to speak out for the TMBG *GUYS* with great chests, like myself. I know that when I ordered Hello, they asked me what my T-Shirt size was. I told them XL, but got a Medium anyways. But it didn't matter. I washed that sucker and it shrank, and now I wear it with pride! I love Hello, and I love my breasts. 8^) Adams- I'm going to fray against the norm and say here that I really don't like Douglas Adams. It may be a crime in these parts, but I wanted to speak out anyways. Flood Inside Picture- I heard the story where the guy on the cover of Flood came from, but I never heard the story of where the inside picture (look really hard) came from. Anywhere I should check? Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf The enemy is the human mind itself, or lack of it, on this planet. -General Boy Currently in the CD Changer- They Might Be Giants-Apollo 18, Talking Heads-Stop Making Sense, Laurie Anderson-Big Science, Coctails-Long Sound, Devo-EZ Listening Disc ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:33:27 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making about Marilyn and homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality being wrong. Now I've been trying to drop the whole subject of Manson, seeing how it doesn't pertain to the list. "So climb from your high horse." -XTC -Mark P.S. To everyone: Why is it a sin to mention that a man died? On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > > > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that > > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? > > Well, that kind of sucks. > > -Mark > > > > Oh, the irony, the delicious irony....judging from your remarks on > Marilyn Manson, in which you pass judgement on their less-than-mainstream > lifestyle and make plenty of uninformed homophobic comments, claiming > that they "cause" people to "become" gay, I gather that you don't know much > about Allen Ginsberg or his poetry. In fact, I'm almost certain you've > never read any more of "Howl" than the two lines (that's *two lines*, > not "much of the material") quoted in "I Should Be Allowed to Think". > > I'll just leave it at that and let you read it. Better be > careful, it might make you "become" gay. > > --Tara > > -- > Tara Weber > 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org > http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW > "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero > trip." --John Flansburgh > "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell > ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** > > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:47:46 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to have something to think about Message-ID: Well, I assume if They'll quote him in a song that he must have been an influence on Them. Is it all right to discuss Their influences???? -Mark On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Maria, Nick wrote: > I noticed in the paper the other day that Alan Gainsberg (sp?) died the > other day, the man who recently did 'The ballad of the Skeletons'. What > has this got to do with They, I hear you cry (I have particularly good > hearing! :) ). > > Well, he was a poet, and the poem they quoted in the Newspaper started > "I saw the best minds of my generations destroyed by madness, starving > hysterical" (I hope that's right!!). > > Just thought I'd share. > > Nicka > > PS It's probably the fist time I've sung along to the newspaper!! > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:54:32 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: Another suggestion..... Message-ID: To the interviewer, lucky dog: If you can work it into the conversation smoothly, try to get a peek into what Their religious views are. All I know is that from an interview I found out They were non-denominational, so maybe They can give us more details. Also, mention to Them that if They ever have a TMBG convention They should invite and pay for all mailing list members to come. J/K Finally, ask Them to play at The White Rabbit in San Antonio during the early summer. I'm sure that won't be a problem for them :) -Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 00:26:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: > Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making > about Marilyn and homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality > being wrong. Now I've been trying to drop the whole subject of Manson, > seeing how it doesn't pertain to the list. Whoa, theres no need to go around calling people names. She didn't deserve it, and its not like it adds any credibility to _your_ argument (quite the opposite, I think), > "So climb from your high horse." -XTC Indeed. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704080428.XAA48302@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:23:41 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg one last thing, i think that calling tara a "stupid bitch" is completely uncalled for. she introduced me to this list. if you stopped responding so stupidly, maybe the manson issue could be dropped. everyone's entitled to their own opinions, so just give up and stop trying to conform everyone to your own. I tried being nice before, but i can see that there are just some people... geoff At 10:33 PM 4/7/97 -0500, you wrote: >Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making >about Marilyn and homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality >being wrong. Now I've been trying to drop the whole subject of Manson, >seeing how it doesn't pertain to the list. >"So climb from your high horse." -XTC >-Mark > >P.S. To everyone: Why is it a sin to mention that a man died? > >On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > >> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: >> >> > Has anyone else heard that the poet who wrote much of the material that >> > was used in "I Should Be Allowed To Think" died yesterday? >> > Well, that kind of sucks. >> > -Mark >> > >> >> Oh, the irony, the delicious irony....judging from your remarks on >> Marilyn Manson, in which you pass judgement on their less-than-mainstream >> lifestyle and make plenty of uninformed homophobic comments, claiming >> that they "cause" people to "become" gay, I gather that you don't know much >> about Allen Ginsberg or his poetry. In fact, I'm almost certain you've >> never read any more of "Howl" than the two lines (that's *two lines*, >> not "much of the material") quoted in "I Should Be Allowed to Think". >> >> I'll just leave it at that and let you read it. Better be >> careful, it might make you "become" gay. >> >> --Tara >> >> -- >> Tara Weber >> 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org >> http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW >> "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero >> trip." --John Flansburgh >> "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell >> ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** >> >> >> > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:44:24 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Then in Australia Message-id: <2B4F7187211@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University I was just wondering if anyone could tell me when Then is going to be avaliable in Australia? I'm pretty sure that it's not around yet - when I went to see TMBG live a few weeks ago they just said something vague about later this year. Can anyone be more specific? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704080407.XAA19387@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:57:54 -0500 ---------- > From: The Gottschalks > To: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> > Cc: You Crazy Kids > Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg > Date: Monday, April 07, 1997 10:33 PM > > Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making This is not cool. Please stop your hypocritical banter. Mike "TMB-G-RATED List, buddy" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970408051053.006cd324@pworld.net.ph> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 13:10:53 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg At 10:33 PM 4/7/97 -0500, you wrote: >Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making "Rabid child stays home, talks on a CB..." >about Marilyn and homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality >being wrong. Now I've been trying to drop the whole subject of Manson, >seeing how it doesn't pertain to the list. >"So climb from your high horse." -XTC "Hammer down." Reggie ------------------------------ From: dream@student.adelaide.edu.au Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:48:30 +0930 (CST) Subject: TMBG: questions... Message-ID: just a couple of questions: 1. does anyone know if the video available w/ T:TEY is also available in Australia? 2. any fellow Adelaideans out there - where's the best place you've found to buy TMBG CDs?...the best i've found is Big Star, but they dont have all of them. Thanx... ------- Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 00:58:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > Shut up, you stupid bitch. ..."And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt." (Sorry, had to say that for all the BF5 people.) Mark, I really think this was uncalled for. Tara didn't deserve this. She's been on the list for a long time now and always has something insightful to say. She's been one of the sources of happiness on this list... Which is another thing I don't like about your posts recently. I remember when the TMBG-list was one of the happiest places on the Internet. Now some people are making it a place for name-calling and hate. > I guess you missed the points I was making about Marilyn and > homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality being wrong. You've talked about hating Marilyn Manson for "making people become gay" and griped about, and I quote from one of your messages, "fagactivity." How exactly were we supposed to take these rude, homophobic comments? Calling other list members "stupid bitches" and making homophobic comments does nothing positive for this list. If you want to flame me, Mark, go ahead, but I won't be responding to the entire list again. But I thought that Tara deserved some of us coming to her defense since you called her names in front of the whole list. The next time you disagree with someone, why don't you just make a thought-out, intelligent response defending your opinions instead of resorting to name-calling? Please, let's keep this list a friendly place for everyone, okay? It's really more in the spirit of TMBG, don't you think? =) Kylee * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kylee Dickey 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | "Life's like a movie: Write your http://www.tripod.com/~ShortOne | own ending. Keep believing, keep she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | pretending." --Kermit the Frog * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-97 *****************************