Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-98 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 98 Wednesday, 9 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Then in Australia Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. TMBG: T:TEY in Australia Re: TMBG: Drugs TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue Re: TMBG: Drugs Re: TMBG: Video with Then? TMBG: Then in EW Re: TMBG: Then in EW (Sorry) TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: Another suggestion..... RE: TMBG: tmbg live in ny... Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue TMBG: TMBG : nice people of tally Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: TMBG: Drugs TMBG: KU show? TMBG: St. Louis show? Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. TMBG: ziploc baggies/Frank London/drugs Re: TMBG: KU show? TMBG: tangled threads, part 2 Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg (fwd) TMBG: Lets not ruin Ginsberg TMBG: If you're not Joel Gedalius, then skip this please TMBG: Q on Payola Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt TMBG: re: tmbg/high voices TMBG: Re ska / no doubt / stuff Non-TMBG: Bruce Cockburn TMBG: Assorted Fruit Flavoured Shtuff TMBG: tmbg: missing persons... NON-TMBG: ALLEN GINSBERG AND FLAMING TMBG: TDWDTN (Totally Remade) TMBG: posting?/MonoPuff/Random Replies(tm) Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg TMBG: Re: New York City by the Cubs Re: TMBG: tangled threads, part 2 Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos NON-TMBG: What's SKA? Fw: NON-TMBG: ALLEN GINSBERG AND FLAMING Re: TMBG: Re ska / no doubt / stuff Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: Mr. Me Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg TMBG: Weep Day interp Re: TMBG: Posting?/Mono Puff (none) TMBG: Kitten Intro... TMBG: Art is in the mind of the beholder TMBG: Can't we all just get along???? TMBG: BELLS MIDI? TMBG: Anticipation of moderation TMBG: Don Juan???? Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? TMBG: Larger Than Life Re: TMBG: Anticipation of moderation Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: "Floodies," Ska Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? Re: TMBG: Kitten Intro... TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: VV Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: tmbg:VV Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: Weep Day and the Sun TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Drugs Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? and Musings on this list TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Re: TMBG: Viva Variety and Spock TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? and Musings on this list TMBG: OMLT OMLT bo bOMLT, banana fanna fo OMLT NON-TMBG:Ska TMBG: Viva and stuff TMBG: Oops again! Viva variety Re: NON-TMBG:Ska TMBG: Trenton concert review Re: TMBG: VV Re: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Re: TMBG: "Floodies, Re: TMBG: Mr. Me Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199704080626.QAA21461@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: Re: TMBG: Then in Australia Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:26:57 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called hlan1@student.monash.edu.au...... > I was just wondering if anyone could tell me when Then is going to be > avaliable in Australia? I'm pretty sure that it's not around yet - > when I went to see TMBG live a few weeks ago they just said > something vague about later this year. Can anyone be more specific? I don't know when it is being 'officially' released over here. For some reason I seem to think that at the how they may have said the only way to get it would be on import. However I know there _is_ a copy waiting for me at Waterfront for when I can get up to Sydney and get it. Tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org I want to fly to heaven, just for the weekend I'll take my camera lens and leave my friends At home and bitchin' And I know all the people here And there is just one thing I fear: I'm not on your guest list -Custard ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 02:28:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Message-ID: On 7 Apr 1997, NOREEN A. SPECHT wrote: > > 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" really about > drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" sounds like an > acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the only one who > picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? Do you > know the Muffin Man!? > > James Specht > Did anyone else laugh when they read in the Then liner notes where the Johns say that Nightgown was named after a child's drawing?!! That's exactly what John Lennon claimed Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (L-S-D) is about! That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years ago said that the only drug They abuse is coffee! I tend to buy into that image of Them, but who knows! I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about drugs too! -Sean Mootrey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 02:34:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Trippy wrote: > or did they make a mistake in reference to Mr. Spock, HERESY!!!! They don't make mistakes--if They say "Dr. Spock" but imply "Mr. Spock", They do it for a reason. (eg. "Martin X. was mad when they outlawed bell-bottoms") -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: dream@student.adelaide.edu.au Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:20:57 +0930 (CST) Subject: TMBG: T:TEY in Australia Message-ID: i've found a copy of T:TEY in one Adelaide CD store (Big Star at Ridgehaven) for $60. no other store here that i've seen has it yet, though. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:05:34 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs >> 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" really >>about >> drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" sounds >>like an >> acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the only >>one who >> picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? >That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years ago >said that the only drug They abuse is coffee! I tend to buy into that >image of Them, but who knows! I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about >drugs too! I heard John L. say in a radio interview the "The Statue Got Me High" is not about "hard drugs" although he didn't say anything about "soft drugs." I think the lyrics of both "Nightgown" and "Spiralling Shape" are discouraging the use of psychedelic drugs ("but everyone wants to see that groovy thing.") ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 03:56:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue Message-ID: Evan Kleve wondered: > Is anyone going to the concert at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio > on April 26? If so, how do I get tickets? Is there a number I can call? Well, the show is for Kenyon students only, so I'm assuming that to get tickets you need a Kenyon id card or at least a student to buy them for you. I tried to find someone to do this for me, but I didn't have any luck. If you do get tickets, please let me know how so I can, too :) John White asked: > Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She > Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? Well Flans does the high voice in concert, which is (I think) the reason behind How Can I Sing Like a Girl? - or at least, it had something to do with why he wrote the song. I think we all know who wrote: > Shut up, you stupid bitch. Uncalled for. Is anyone else planning on going to the Purdue show? Even though we won't have the OMLT's by then, I'd like to try to meet some of you guys and gals. Besides, I don't wanna be stuck with two Canadians all day by myself ;) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Thinking about it is easier than doing it, but so far, I haven't even thought about it. -Ashleigh Brilliant. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 02:56:01 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Aaron Cohen wrote: > >That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years ago > Is this the one where "'Good,' said Gaints' guitarist John Flansburgh, when news arrived that Chrysler had acquiesced and the Voyager was on its way. 'They've taken the They Might Be Giants Challenge.' " came from? Or reprinted? I feel like a big dork now after I typed all of that out, but I notice that the credit is to Jamie Kitman in "Automobile" magazine in Stef's Big Book 'o Quotes... > I heard John L. say in a radio interview the "The Statue Got Me High" is > not about "hard drugs" although he didn't say anything about "soft drugs." > Soft Drugs? Like Caffenie and such? I guess. Anyhoo, someone a while ago (this summer, methinks) posted something about how SGMH was maybe about "2001: A Space Odyssey", which though in itself a trippy movie, it all made some kind of weird sense. You know, the monolith, death, etc. I saw the movie again after reading that, and I thought it pretty accurate.... "Hal, open the pod bay door." "You know I can't do that, Dave..." _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960409080637.00698cb0@mail.binghamton.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:06:37 -0400 From: Richard Chung Subject: Re: TMBG: Video with Then? I remember seeing that post also, so I treked down to the Tower Records at 4th and Broadway where they were giving away the "nostalgia pack" with a case of the flu when I could have gone to the Tower closer to me in Westchester to find that the video was not only non-existant, but that the "cool old crap" was no more than 4 postcards, the wierd lettering bumper sticker, and a tmbg.com pencil sealed in a ziploc baggie. Needless to say, I thought I was delirious because of the flu, but that was all there was. rich Misinformed, you wrote, >I heard that some people got a free video with their purchase of Then: The >Early Years. I bought my disc at a local shop and wasn't so lucky. Is >this video available everywhere, or in only some places, or just for a >limited time? > >Wally Gobetz >wallyg@bu.edu >http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8670 >========================================================================= >caution: proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments > nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a > brainwashed and enslaved population. mild discomfort may occur as > confusing independant thought challenges popular views around the world > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960409081404.006946b4@mail.binghamton.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:14:04 -0400 From: Richard Chung Subject: TMBG: Then in EW Just so you guys know, Entertainment Weekly reviewed Then and gave it a pretty decent review: This 72-song compilation-incorporating TMBG's first three albums, previously unreleased oddities, and droll autobiographical notes-chronicles the duo's maturation from resourceful do-it-yourselfers to canny artistes. Their eclectic yet accessible material still sounds fresh, embodying the blend of braininess and whimsicality that's the key to the pair's appeal. B+ -Scott Schinder "braininess"?! Well, it's better than the q word. rich ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960409085713.006a1a10@mail.binghamton.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:57:13 -0400 From: Richard Chung Subject: Re: TMBG: Then in EW (Sorry) I missed the posts from a few days ago. Please accept my appologies for the wasted time. rich At 04:14 AM 4/9/96 -0400, I stupidly repeated: >Just so you guys know, Entertainment Weekly reviewed Then and gave it a >pretty decent review: > > This 72-song compilation-incorporating TMBG's first three albums, >previously unreleased oddities, and droll autobiographical >notes-chronicles the duo's maturation from resourceful >do-it-yourselfers to canny artistes. Their eclectic yet >accessible material still sounds fresh, embodying the blend of >braininess and whimsicality that's the key to the pair's appeal. B+ > -Scott Schinder >"braininess"?! Well, it's better than the q word. > >rich > > ------------------------------ From: "PETE" Organization: University of Ulster Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:07:08 GMT Subject: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <14C0FC5123@smserver1.ulst.ac.uk> (1st time contributor) I haven't actually seen anything yet so I don't know if there's any protocol or something I should follow, but does anyone know if TMBG are going to be doing ANY UK dates at all this year? ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704081429.JAA04196@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Another suggestion..... Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 09:29:35 -0500 (EST) > > To the interviewer, lucky dog: > If you can work it into the conversation smoothly, try to get a peek into > what Their religious views are. All I know is that from an interview I > found out They were non-denominational, so maybe They can give us more > details. > More specific in their vagueness? I think that if they had any desire to discuss this, they would have by now. I also think that, given the alarming rapidity with which all discussions re: religion have degenerated into ugliness and pointlessness here in the past, one could find a better interview topic. m@t ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg live in ny... Date: Tue, 08 Apr 97 08:43:00 P Message-Id: <334A5A64@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> actually, if anyone is interested i have a bootleg of the entire concert. it's about an hour long it think. ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-list Subject: TMBG: tmbg live in ny... Date: Monday, April 07, 1997 1:36PM i was wondering what the 2nd disc on the double john henry was. you can order it (import) from www.cdnow.com!!! geoff At 10:00 AM 4/7/97 -0700, you wrote: >I was lucky enough to have stumbled across an Austrailian Copy of John >Henry which was a double CD and came with (Yes you guessed it) the "Live >in NY Show"... > >It contains: > >1) Don't Let's Start >2) Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Begins with just drums, then you hear >Linell go "I hear the drum" >3) Particle Man >4) The Statue Got Me High >5) Birdhouse In Your Soul (Alternate Version) >6) Twistin' > >If anyone wants a copy, let me know and we'll work something out.. it's >only about 20 mins or so, but very cool stuff. > >Jeff >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >We'll meet at the end of the tour.... ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> >Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? >TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) >You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older. >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199704081455.JAA09020@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 09:55:35 -0500 (EST) > Amy responded when: > John White asked: > > Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She > > Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? > Well Flans does the high voice in concert, which is (I think) the reason > behind How Can I Sing Like a Girl? - or at least, it had something to do > with why he wrote the song. > Yes, but it's Linnell on the recording, with his voice raised in pitch through "recording studio magic." (Don't try it at home.) > Is anyone else planning on going to the Purdue show? Well, I am. I'll even take anybody who comes on a tour of all of the cool place in Lafayette (if I can find one by then). m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:05:01 -0400 (EDT) From: MIKE Subject: TMBG: TMBG : nice people of tally Message-ID: hello, My ride to the tallahassee concert at the Moon seems to have decided to stay home (bastard), therefore I have no way of getting there (or being able to go down to St Pete for the Jannus Landing concert:(...so, wonderfully nice TMBG fans of Tallahassee, can one of you give a ride to me and my girlfriend to go to the Moon? shoehorn with teeth (mike) ps...I'll even pay the 75 cents for gas or something! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334A6654.6FE1@oeonline.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:37:56 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Robert Mootrey u wrote: > > On 7 Apr 1997, NOREEN A. SPECHT wrote: > > > > > 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" really about > > drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" sounds like an > > acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the only one who > > picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? Do you > > know the Muffin Man!? > > > > James Specht > > > Did anyone else laugh when they read in the Then liner notes where the > Johns say that Nightgown was named after a child's drawing?!! That's > exactly what John Lennon claimed Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (L-S-D) is > about! > > That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years ago > said that the only drug They abuse is coffee! I tend to buy into that > image of Them, but who knows! I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about > drugs too! > > -Sean Mootrey It Is! As any real TMBG fan who read the FAQ might know, Nightgown of the Sullen moon is the name of a children's book by Nancy Willard. Go to Borders and read it, it'll take about five minutes and you'll have transcended further into an existence of They Might Be Giants enduced bliss. Ray ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334A66AC.1E44@oeonline.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:39:24 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs Aaron Cohen wrote: > > >> 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" really > >>about > >> drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" sounds > >>like an > >> acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the only > >>one who > >> picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? > > >That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years ago > >said that the only drug They abuse is coffee! I tend to buy into that > >image of Them, but who knows! I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about > >drugs too! > > I heard John L. say in a radio interview the "The Statue Got Me High" is > not about "hard drugs" although he didn't say anything about "soft drugs." > I think the lyrics of both "Nightgown" and "Spiralling Shape" are > discouraging the use of psychedelic drugs ("but everyone wants to see that > groovy thing.") This is a reasonable suggestion, but the quote you used as evidence to back up your statement is completely irrelevant? How can you explain yourself? Ray ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334A6C80.2C71@ou.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:04:16 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: KU show? Hey all-- Did we ever get confirmation on who all is playing at KU besides the Johns we all know and love? I am still trying to convince my boyfriend to go with me (even though it's the week before finals) he won't fo until he knows who else is playing. I thought they were supposed to announce it in April.. On a side note... congratulate me guys! I had my portfolio reviewed (and approved!) last week at Kansas City Art Institute!!! Now, I haven't gotten a letter yet.. my letters of recomendation are still coming through... but they said that was the most imprortant part! Hoorah! I may actually get a job someday! Heather ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:59:58 -0600 (CST) From: beelersj@SLU.EDU Subject: TMBG: St. Louis show? Message-id: I just checked www.pollstar.com and it says that They will be in Glen Carbon, IL on May 1. It's not listed at tmbg.com. Does anyone know about this? Please help. I'm desperate for a They fix. sara ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:11:53 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Amy Greenlese wrote: > Is anyone else planning on going to the Purdue show? Even though we won't > have the OMLT's by then, I'd like to try to meet some of you guys and > gals. Besides, I don't wanna be stuck with two Canadians all day by > myself ;) > Well, that's pretty much the sixty-five thousand dollar question, isn't it? Do you know what its all about? I am quite willing to drive all the way to West Lafayette from here (Bloomington) and drag a bunch of people with me, but I would like to know several things, like, When are They playing? What time does the whole thing start? Are there tickets? If so, how much do they cost? Where are they playing? As for OMLTs, or the lack thereof, I guess we could resort to the age-old nametag system, "Hi! My name is Sneepy, and I'm a tmbg-list'er!" _______> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <_____ // \\ // "I'm a cipher! A cipher wrapped in an enigma, covered in \\ secret sauce!" -Jimmy James, "Newsradio" TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:19:29 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Message-ID: <24AB62A0C4D@elan.rowan.edu> > hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? am I mistaken? Yes, you are very VERY mistaken! :-) No Doubt's older, inde releases were ska. They had a quasi-tradition ska feel to them. Their new stuff is nothing more that tired old "alternative" (i.e.- popular) recycled garbage, sorry to say. Hope I helped! -Jerry "Where was I when alternative became "popular" and pop became alternative" Pinner "Liberal philosophies you wear like your clothes, the modern hypocrite, you don't even know. Who could be proud of this blank generation?" -Cherry Poppin Daddies, "Don Quixote"- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:31:24 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt thank you for defending the integrity of ska, i hate it when you tell people that you listen to ska and they say "oh, like No Doubt" or "oh, like Rancid" and then you have to run away screaming... Trippy At 9:09 PM -0500 4/7/97, Agamemnon wrote: >Whgoever posted with the Hello info, thanks a bundle! I'm quite >relieved. Gordon Gano, you are a god. > >>hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? > >NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO >OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO >OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >No! No! No! Not to suggest No Doubt are bad, in fact I rather enjoy >bits and pieces of them, but whatever they are, it ain't ska. They sold >out the beat, a truly inexcusable act. I can think of many bands that >gained popularity without selling out (think of one silently right now, >without starting angry chains of posts! It's fun!) but No Doubt is NOT >among them. ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:29:56 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Message-ID: <24AE3632B62@elan.rowan.edu> > Shut up, you stupid bitch. > Profanity is the feeble mind attempting to express itself. Show a little respect to people, and the same will be shown to you (unless you're in New York City of course!). And just because people don't share your point of view doesn't mean they're not listening to what you're saying. Okay, enough sentence fragments for one day. -Jerry "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -Salvador Dali ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:34:10 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Message-ID: <19970408.124622.3342.4.bob_iii@juno.com> Being a big ST fan I can verify that you are right on both cases. Spock is not a Doctor, in fact his official position is Lieutenant Commander/Commander depending on the series. He was often confused with Dr Benjamin Spock, a child care guru of the 60's. He later became prominent in the late 80's for something else, but I can't remember what. BYE Jason ***************************************************************************** I think the three most important lessons to be learned from "Star Trek" would be tolerance, cooperation and the need for good tailoring. Patrick Stewart ***************************************************************************** i think that the movie raising arizona was the highlight of doctors spocks career if you remember it was his book that they kidnappers used to figure out how to treat the baby ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:52:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: ziploc baggies/Frank London/drugs Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Richard Chung spake thusly: > I remember seeing that post also, so I treked down to the Tower Records at > 4th and Broadway where they were giving away the "nostalgia pack" with a > case of the flu when I could have gone to the Tower closer to me in > Westchester to find that the video was not only non-existant, but that the > "cool old crap" was no more than 4 postcards, the wierd lettering bumper > sticker, and a tmbg.com pencil sealed in a ziploc baggie. Needless to say, > I thought I was delirious because of the flu, but that was all there was. > (sniff sniff) Well...that's still 4 postcards, 1 weird lettering bumper sticker,1 tmbg.com pencil and 1 ziploc baggie that I don't have. :( There are no Tower Records in the vast wasteland state in which I am unfortunate enough to live. (I was, however, able to get the two COMPLETELY FREE! Ben Folds Five import singles, so it's sort of ok.) Speaking of BFF, I bet you guys already know that Frank London, the trumpet player who played for TMBG on JH and some other stuff (Istanbul?) and toured with them at some point, appears on the new BFF album. Nifty... Aaron Cohen took a deep breath and bellowed: > I think the lyrics of both "Nightgown" and "Spiralling Shape" are > discouraging the use of psychedelic drugs ("but everyone wants to see that > groovy thing.") Personally, I am convinced that coffee *is* a hallucinogen. :) Really, though, I think their "message" (geez, that sounds so corny...oh dear...) about drugs is pretty ambiguous. And ambiguity is fun, don't you think? Abuser of caffeine, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:09:47 -0500 (CDT) From: Major Boredom Subject: Re: TMBG: KU show? Message-Id: Hello there, I'm a KU student on the staff who decides who is going to come to the KU concert (Day on the Hill), so here's what I know. So far, the groups are probably going to be The Glitterkicks, Norman 360, and Arthur Dodge and the Horsefeathers. The fifth group will be the winner of a local Battle of the Bands contest. Although all of these groups are either local or indie groups, they are all pretty good. And with TMBG, it should be the best concert in Kansas this year. Ryan On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Heather Tinkler wrote: > Hey all-- > Did we ever get confirmation on who all is playing at KU besides > the Johns we all know and love? I am still trying to convince my > boyfriend to go with me (even though it's the week before finals) he > won't fo until he knows who else is playing. I thought they were > supposed to announce it in April.. > > On a side note... congratulate me guys! I had my portfolio reviewed > (and approved!) last week at Kansas City Art Institute!!! Now, I > haven't gotten a letter yet.. my letters of recomendation are still > coming through... but they said that was the most imprortant part! > Hoorah! I may actually get a job someday! > > Heather > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704081714.KAA20168@f8.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: tangled threads, part 2 Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:14:06 PDT As busy as I have been, I have subscribed to the digest form for now. My thoughts on the threads ahoy: Manson-Personally, I don't care for him/it or the music. However, it's his right to produce and behave however he wishes. Besides, he's just a whiny little brat looking for attention. So, don't give him any. Ginsberg-It is unfortunate that I didn't manage to read more of his works. Now he will be elevated to legendary status if he hasn't already. "The Gottschalks"- Mark, dude, you are SO entitled to your opinion, but was it necessary to call Tara a stupid bitch? This is supposed to be a kind and gentle list. Let it be known that if you ever call me a bitch you'll catch hell for it. That goes for anyone. That's it for now. Anastasia Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### "You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it; There won't be a refund , you'll never go back The Spiralling Shape will make you go insane- but everyone wants to see that groovy thing...."TMBG Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 97 13:09:39 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg (fwd) Message-Id: <970408.131403.EDT.343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> > >Shut up, you stupid bitch. > regardless of how upset you are about *any* thread, this language is totally unacceptable and innappropriate on this list. please don't do it again. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:52:34 -0700 (PDT) From: Katherine Barbra Jean Hayes Subject: TMBG: Lets not ruin Ginsberg Message-Id: As for how one of the greatst BeAt poets of all time died...he was diagnosed with cancer eight days before he died, Thursday he suffered a stroke, fell into a coma and never regained consciouness. He then suffered a fatal heart attack. If one looks a the inspiration of Ginsberg's Howl, they may notice that much of it had to do with freedom to express oneself and that is a common theme in They music. So I think if MST3K is acceptable talk on this thing then I feel Ginsberg should be also ****************************************************************************** I could never sleep my way to the top, because my alarm clock always wakes me right up... ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704081754.KAA00872@f36.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: If you're not Joel Gedalius, then skip this please Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:54:55 PDT Joel! Bro! I lost your last email and your address. Mail me please! Anastasia * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970408180540.006d3790@pworld.net.ph> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:05:40 +0800 From: Reggie Vinluan Subject: TMBG: Q on Payola Is "Hey Mr.DJ I Thought You Said We Had a Deal" based on an actual incident? Is payola still an issue in the music biz in the States? Or are the Johns' hitting commercialism in general? Here in Manila, the music biz is run primarily on payola... Reg ___________________ If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: No Doubt Date: Wed, 09 Apr 97 11:30:23 PDT I'm under the impression that there are a fair number of people on this list that are knowledgeable about ska music, and a fair number who are under the impression that No Doubt, Rancid, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are ska music. A hint to all of those in the second group: Look at how people react on this list when someone says They Might Be Giants are quirky children's music reminiscent of Weird Al. Now go to a group of ska enthusiasts (such as alt.music.ska), tell them you love ska, No Doubt and the Bosstones are just so darn cool!... the similarity may frighten you (although I think us here on the list are a much friendlier lot about it overall) Now go get yourself a hold of some real ska music... I'd recommend something from the two-tone era... and give yourself a listen. You just might like it. Michelle ---------- | thank you for defending the integrity of ska, i hate it when you tell | people that you listen to ska and they say "oh, like No Doubt" or "oh, like | Rancid" and then you have to run away screaming... | | Trippy | | At 9:09 PM -0500 4/7/97, Agamemnon wrote: | >Whgoever posted with the Hello info, thanks a bundle! I'm quite | >relieved. Gordon Gano, you are a god. | > | >>hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? | > | >NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO | OO | >OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO | OOO | >OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! | !!! | >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | >No! No! No! Not to suggest No Doubt are bad, in fact I rather enjoy | >bits and pieces of them, but whatever they are, it ain't ska. They sold | >out the beat, a truly inexcusable act. I can think of many bands that | >gained popularity without selling out (think of one silently right now, | >without starting angry chains of posts! It's fun!) but No Doubt is NOT | >among them. | | | ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704081827.NAB60704@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 13:23:02 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: re: tmbg/high voices according to the newsletter (the real, official one), "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" is "inspired by part of TMBG's live show where Flansburgh had to sing in a falsetto to reproduce a sped-up vocal from a recording called 'She Was A Hotel Detective.'"...While flans does it live, it's Linnell on the recording, but sped up to make the voice higher. geoff > >John White asked: >> Say, is that Flansburgh or Linnell doing the high-pitched voice on She >> Was A Hotel Detective (the one on Back to Skull)? >Well Flans does the high voice in concert, which is (I think) the reason >behind How Can I Sing Like a Girl? - or at least, it had something to do >with why he wrote the song. > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970408145139.0069e9f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:51:39 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Re ska / no doubt / stuff | >>hey, I remember reading here that No DOubt was ska? that was me... I was just wondering, cause someone said earlier that no doubt was ska... and I was thinking " don't know much about ska music, but *that* sure doesn't fit my definition" ..... anyhow. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:55:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Non-TMBG: Bruce Cockburn Message-ID: I heard Bruce Cockburn at War Memorial Hall last night--What a Great concert! What was most interesting was this sort of midi-marimba--the drummer sometimes played mallets (sometimes sounded like vibes, sometimes marimba, but also weird synth pads!) Anybody ever seen one of those before? -Sean Mootrey. (I've become a very self-indulgent often-poster of late--Sorry) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334A33EC.2E8F@hooked.net> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:04:42 +0000 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Organization: National Pixel Products Subject: TMBG: Assorted Fruit Flavoured Shtuff Greetings all-- Been a while since I've read and posted (mebbe a year?), but I am back (wonder who remembers me and who forgets me), but I just thought I'd add onto the stack here, feel free to scroll on by (heh heh). This is prolly shtuff you've heard before, but lemme refresh for those of you that have tuned out during the commercial break... Marilyn Manson / No Doubt: This is a TMBG-list, remember?! Not that *I* have a big problem with ppl posting messages about them, mebbe other ppl do (filing thru all the messages *can* be a pain in the arse). My personal opinion on both?! Don't like 'em m'self, but I will respect them as artists in their field. That's how I feel about all artists. Heck, if people like them, they have to be doing *something* right! Hello: I had no idea that Hello was on the outs! Waaaa! TMBG's Children's Appeal: I know many kids that love tmbg, and I think, "more power to 'em"! No matter what age, we are a tmbg fans. I think that since a lot of ppl think that tmbg's music is "silly" automatically makes them have a childlike appeal. I like their universal appeal. Floodies: Aw, c'mon now! I know that Flood is the "trendy" album, but it is still brilliant, admit it. No need to bash floodies. Once again, we are all tmbg fans... yadda yadda yadda... Allen Ginsberg: Name-calling: It's not necessary. We are a respectful forum. 'Nuf said. Hmm, that's all I have to say, for now... I think. See you all around (I hope to be posting more now that I have my mailbox more in order than it has been in over a year). regards, courtney cpatubo@hooked.net * toonie@tmbg.org * "toonie" at the palace http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo Addict of the Palace chat! http://www.thepalace.com MSTie #18877 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704081856.NAA59140@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 13:51:28 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg: missing persons... Hey everybody, I need a favor. I'm trying to track down the guy who first introduced me to TMBG, way back in 1988. His Name is Mike Shepherd, and the last time i checked, he lived in Hermitage, Tennessee. If any of you know him, or if Mike is on this list, please respond. Oh, and he lived in Apple Valley, MN when I first met him. Thank you, Geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: 08 Apr 97 15:34:44 EDT From: "NOREEN A. SPECHT" <76232.1433@CompuServe.COM> Subject: NON-TMBG: ALLEN GINSBERG AND FLAMING Message-ID: <970408193444_76232.1433_GHM91-1@CompuServe.COM> My two cents: Allen Ginsberg (along w/ Burroughs) have had such an amazing impact on my writting and my life in general. Someone forced his work upon me and it took a while but I grew to love it. I saw him last Septemebr where he held a reading and it blew my mind. I once heard Howl (in it's entirity) on this CD called Kronos Quartet (which I plead everyone to get). I've bought all his books and several poems such as Hum Bomb I have read at dozens of poetry readings and is one of my favorites. I miss him a lot... in fact as sick as it seems I nearly cried. And as for flamming, I can tolerate it as long as it's clever and not just base degrating sterotypical juevinile garbage that is similar to that which has been spewed by the morons in a 6th grade detnetion. Thank you... James Specht ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:42:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: TDWDTN (Totally Remade) Message-ID: Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > Glad to see that I am not the only one. Now, if I can just find > someone who likes the "Devil" remix, I can be totally happy. That would be me. Nobody around me seems to like it either. "It's too slow!" seems to be the prevalent criticism. -Sean 7.33 hours until Viva Variety! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704082057.PAA09381@hp-14.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: posting?/MonoPuff/Random Replies(tm) Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 15:57:04 CDT From: Aaron Kohlbeck <#include delurk.h> Why I don't post: Vlad asked a while ago why more people don't post. Well, I have been here for almost a year and don't post at all. In fact, you're not reading this. Actually, I usually have nothing to say. Well, I usually have a lot to say, but collecting my thoughts is about as easy as finding the Guitar single. *Hint, hint* And, I don't want to become one of those obnoxious posters that post three times a day. So, it's lurking for me..... MonoPuff question: I was admiring the MonoPuff case the other day and realized I don't know who is who on the cover. I know it's Flans on the left, but who is on the right and the top? I assume they are the other guys (forget the names right now) but which is which? Also, does anyone know if Nancy Howell has any music out there? Random Replies (tm): From: David Hensley > or that Dare to be Stupid sounds a wee bit like Devo. Now, I am just starting to get into Devo, but I was always under the impression that DTBS was a direct parody of a Devo song. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But Al does dress up like Devo in the video. And, as an aside, Al was the first person I saw in concert. Way long time ago, at the Brown County Fair. It was great. From: Sean Mootrey >I feel like Spiralling Shape might be about >drugs too! Gleemonex! Makes it feel like its 72 degrees in your head all the time! (All apologies to KdsInThHal!) From: Amy Greenlese >Is anyone else planning on going to the Purdue show? I might make the trek from Madison to Purdue. Heck, if m@t is going to give us the tour, that would make it all worth it! You'll be able to tell who I am, I'll be the one standing in the back, not saying anything. I'll be ....lurking! From: Richard Chung >where they were giving away the "nostalgia pack" with a >case of the flu That's funny, I've always had a hard time giving away the flu. I guess I need to stamp it with "TMBG" and then all of you people will trample me to get it. From: "Me" >Now go get yourself a hold of some real ska music... I'd recommend >something from the two-tone era... and give yourself a listen. You just >might like it. Okay, so what would you recommend, specifically? Private email please. That question applies to anyone more knowledgeable about ska than me. Oh ya, and about that "Gottschalks" guy: Two words: mail bomb! Actually, this may be the excuse for me to finally figure out filters for elm (long live vi!) and make a junk mailbox. Aaron, who is hopped up on Halls right now -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck Let me tell you about my sammich... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:01:58 -0400 From: elleng@massart.edu Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Message-ID: >> 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" >really about >> drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" >sounds like an >> acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the >only one who >> picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone >know? Do you >> know the Muffin Man!? I was under the impression that "The Statue Got Me High" was based on the legend of Don Juan AKA Don Quixote... the womanizing hero of many a poem and play, as well as an opera by Motzart. In the end of the opera, Don Quixote is confronted by a statue (the spirit) of the father of a woman whose virtue he had... despoiled. Anyways, Don Quixote finally sees the truth of things as he is dragged by the statue into the smouldering pits of hell. "The statue made me fry... the statue made me fry, it took my hand, it killed me and it turned me to the sky." and so on and so forth. This is my first posting. Watt fun! -elleng@massart.edu "April is the crulest month, Breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, Mixing memory and desire, Stirring dull roots with spring rain." -T.S. Eliot ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:11:51 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: If you understoood me, you wouldn't call me hypocritical. On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > ---------- > > From: The Gottschalks > > To: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> > > Cc: You Crazy Kids > > Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg > > Date: Monday, April 07, 1997 10:33 PM > > > > Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making > > This is not cool. Please stop your hypocritical banter. > > Mike "TMB-G-RATED List, buddy" Leffel > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:18:35 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Message-ID: Yeah, you're right, but I'm just getting sick of all these last-minute attacks now that I'm trying to drop the subject. -Mark On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Coyote wrote: > > Shut up, you stupid bitch. I guess you missed the points I was making > > about Marilyn and homosexuality. It had nothing to do with homosexuality > > being wrong. Now I've been trying to drop the whole subject of Manson, > > seeing how it doesn't pertain to the list. > > Whoa, theres no need to go around calling people names. She didn't deserve > it, and its not like it adds any credibility to _your_ argument (quite the > opposite, I think), > > > "So climb from your high horse." -XTC > > Indeed. > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:12:58 -0700 From: Jordan Maynard Message-ID: <334AB4DA.4913@mail.sdsu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: New York City by the Cubs James McDuffie wrote: > > Okay I downloaded this copy of New York City by the Cubs off of > 198.82.89.54 aka psavage1.campus.vt.edu. I think it is a pretty cool > version can some people shed some more info on this group? Sure. First, it's "cub" singular. cub are (yes i know i just said its singular) a female-pop/punk-trio (Lisa: bass vocals, Lisa G.: drums, and Robynn: guitar) from Vancouver, and a band that I personally really like... cub is signed with mint records in vancouver.. http://mintrecs.com/ I had the pleasure of seeing cub open for They in San Fransisco. Really good band and good-spirited, even though most of us giant-heads really really wanted to see They as soon as possible, cub played a good set and we're very gracious. At the SF show TMBG sung "new york city" with their own version of the lyrics (dylan instead of king-kong in the bridge). but at the recent They show in Palo Alto, i noticed that They sung "new york city" with cubs original lyrics, which i kinda thought was cool of they. cub (as far as i know) have 3 Lps, and they are, in chronolgical order: Betti-cola Come out Come out (new york city is on this one) and Box of hair To answer the question i'm sure you want to ask; no, new york city is not cubs only good song. There are many good, even really good songs on both come out and box of hair (betti-cola is so-so). jordan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:25:02 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: tangled threads, part 2 Message-ID: Don't worry, I won't. You're not one, and I was in a bad mood when I called Tara a bitch. And the reason I called her that was to let her know that you shouldn't throw personal insults into an argument (and it was quite cowardly for her to do so after I said I'd end the argument). -Mark On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Anastasia Hunt wrote: > As busy as I have been, I have subscribed to the digest form for now. > My thoughts on the threads ahoy: > > Manson-Personally, I don't care for him/it or the music. However, it's his right > to produce and behave however he wishes. Besides, he's just a whiny little brat > looking for attention. So, don't give him any. > > Ginsberg-It is unfortunate that I didn't manage to read more of his works. Now > he will be elevated to legendary status if he hasn't already. > > "The Gottschalks"- Mark, dude, you are SO entitled to your opinion, but was it > necessary to call Tara a stupid bitch? This is supposed to be a kind and gentle > list. Let it be known that if you ever call me a bitch you'll catch hell for it. > That goes for anyone. > > That's it for now. > > Anastasia > Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. > (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) > ###################################################### > > "You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it; There won't be a refund , you'll > never go back > The Spiralling Shape will make you go insane- but everyone wants to > see that groovy thing...."TMBG > Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------- > Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > --------------------------------------------------------- > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:37:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Message-ID: Well... surely you can't deny the reference to "getting high." I, myself, agree that the story is about Don Juan (although I thought he was definitely NOT AKA Don Quixote)... maybe so... although Linnell himself is recorded saying he didn't write it about that. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 elleng@massart.edu wrote: > > I was under the impression that "The Statue Got Me High" was based on > the > legend of Don Juan AKA Don Quixote... the womanizing hero of many a poem > and play, as well as an opera by Motzart. In the end of the opera, Don > Quixote is confronted by a statue (the spirit) of the father of a woman > whose virtue he had... despoiled. Anyways, Don Quixote finally sees the > truth of things as he is dragged by the statue into the smouldering pits > of hell. > "The statue made me fry... the statue made me fry, it took my hand, it > killed me and it turned me to the sky." and so on and so forth. > > This is my first posting. Watt fun! > -elleng@massart.edu > > "April is the crulest month, > Breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, > Mixing memory and desire, > Stirring dull roots with spring rain." > -T.S. Eliot > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:47:16 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? Message-Id: Call me an idiot, but what is ska music? Uninformed, but willing to learn, Tarnished Silence /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "No one in the world ever gets what they want, | | And that is beautiful. | | Everyone dies frustrated and sad, | | And that is beautiful. | | They want what they're not and I wish they would stop." | | - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | | Beyond your wildest senses, there remains one............ | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704082154.QAA06254@dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Fw: NON-TMBG: ALLEN GINSBERG AND FLAMING Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:52:38 -0700 I don't know if there are any Clash fans on here, but another well-known musical Ginsberg collaboration is the song "Ghetto Defendant" on the album "Combat Rock" where not only did Ginsberg write some lyrics for the song, but he did the spoken recitation of them also in the background of the song... here are some of them officially: do the worm on acropolis slamdance the cosmopolis enlighten the populous etc and some others that are spoken after the regular lyrics, kind of in the background pretty cool song and one of the lines that may refer to him in the song is "the ghetto prince of gutter poets" just for your info for those who only know him through "that one TMBG song" > ---------- > > From: NOREEN A. SPECHT <76232.1433@CompuServe.COM> > > To: tmbg > > Subject: NON-TMBG: ALLEN GINSBERG AND FLAMING > > Date: Tuesday, April 08, 1997 12:34 PM > > > > My two cents: > > > > Allen Ginsberg (along w/ Burroughs) have had such an amazing impact on my > > writting and my life in general. Someone forced his work upon me and it > took a > > while but I grew to love it. I saw him last Septemebr where he held a > reading > > and it blew my mind. I once heard Howl (in it's entirity) on this CD > called > > Kronos Quartet (which I plead everyone to get). I've bought all his > books and > > several poems such as Hum Bomb I have read at dozens of poetry readings > and is > > one of my favorites. I miss him a lot... in fact as sick as it seems I > nearly > > cried. > > > > And as for flamming, I can tolerate it as long as it's clever and not > just base > > degrating sterotypical juevinile garbage that is similar to that which > has been > > spewed by the morons in a 6th grade detnetion. > > > > Thank you... > > > > James Specht > > ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:54:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970408175320_384237245@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re ska / no doubt / stuff The only No Doubt ska song I've heard is Spiderwebs, cause of the horns in the beginning. That's all folks! -Geoff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704082156.QAA08088@dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:54:39 -0700 Well I had a friend who used this song in college for an art dissertation and as far as I know, it is pretty obviously about someone smitten by a piece of art... i.e. a statue or bust of some sort... I guess no one on this list can really appreciate great art... ---------- > From: elleng@massart.edu > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos > Date: Tuesday, April 08, 1997 2:01 PM > > > >> 2. Is "Statue Got Me High" and "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" > >really about > >> drugs or am I hallucinating? I mean I thing "the N of the S M" > >sounds like an > >> acid trip and "SGMH" sounds like a bong and I want to know am I the > >only one who > >> picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone > >know? Do you > >> know the Muffin Man!? > > I was under the impression that "The Statue Got Me High" was based on > the > legend of Don Juan AKA Don Quixote... the womanizing hero of many a poem > and play, as well as an opera by Motzart. In the end of the opera, Don > Quixote is confronted by a statue (the spirit) of the father of a woman > whose virtue he had... despoiled. Anyways, Don Quixote finally sees the > truth of things as he is dragged by the statue into the smouldering pits > of hell. > "The statue made me fry... the statue made me fry, it took my hand, it > killed me and it turned me to the sky." and so on and so forth. > > This is my first posting. Watt fun! > -elleng@massart.edu > > "April is the crulest month, > Breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, > Mixing memory and desire, > Stirring dull roots with spring rain." > -T.S. Eliot > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:58:52 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: TMBG: Mr. Me Message-ID: Okay, everybody's hating me now. That's natural. But might I say a few general things? Okay. "Fagactivity" was a humerous word refering to being gay. It doesn't make me homophobic if I can joke about gay people, and contraversial groups in general. I never said it was wrong to be homosexual. I was saying it was stupid for people to attempt at being carbon copies of their heros. And many Manson fans will try to be just like them, so we get naturally straight people who have made themselves act gay. I realize not everyone has seen this, but I have. And if the tables were turned and I was gay, I'd feel the same way. I realize Tara is not a *****. She was only being one to me by making a personal attack after I said I was dropping the subject. All of you have made it clear that she is a very well-loved member of the list, and no one else needs to "come to her rescue." Besides, do you think anyone on this list cares what I say anyway? But while on the subject of profanity, I'd like to point out how freedome of expression is limited to "appropriate" words. To me, it's because people just don't like strong opinions. Now, spare me from your responses. I assume that every person on this list is strongly against that belief. PLEASE, I don't want to hear it. About the poet who died, I recieved many condescending replies about how wonderful the guy was and how ignorant I am for not knowing it. I don't want to hear lectures, people, so please get off it! Peaceful list, yes. Let's have one. So please everyone, quit attacking me. -Mark P.S. I've made my points repeatedly, so I won't respond to your negative responses. I'm too tired. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704082220.RAA46486@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:15:58 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Allen Ginsberg that may be so, but "shut up you stupid bitch" is no way to leave the matter. do we really need a moderator? At 04:18 PM 4/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >Yeah, you're right, but I'm just getting sick of all these last-minute >attacks now that I'm trying to drop the subject. >-Mark > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970408154541.006de10c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 15:48:49 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Weep Day interp >Ben or Been here, speculating after a long absence from this list. Ben or Been! Been wondering what happened to you... and some of the other old guard people. (anyone seen Fransburgh recently?) Thanks for recommending BF5; I got their debut album and it rocked muchly. >I remember when the TMBG-list was one of the happiest places on the >Internet. Now some people are making it a place for name-calling and >hate. Amen! Come on, people. They are Brooklyn's Ambassadors of LOVE. Crude, sexist insults like the one poor Tara just got are exactly the kind of thing we're trying to avoid here. You owe her an apology, Mark. >Oh yeah; if you all hate the Manson topic, just don't send any messages! I'm not, believe me. In fact, most of the list has been *not* sending messages about Manson. By your statement, that implies that most of us hate the topic. NOW CAN WE LET THE THREAD DIE, PLEASE?!?!?! And your self-righteousness is getting on my nerves, pal. (Especially since you quoted the ENTIRE POST... but I digress) This is NOT a discussion forum for Marilyn Manson, and your "well, then, just ignore the Manson posts" idea is NOT fair to the rest of us who like our TMBG straight up, and it's a darn near impossible request to follow for those of us on the digest. You don't exist in a vacuum, buddy. (Just to set this straight right now--assuming that people who don't want to read your messages can simply delete them is an inaccurate assumption. Please, please, have pity on us digesters. :) In my vast amounts of spare time, I interped Weep Day! Lemme know what you think. I think it's about asserting that, with the proper perspectives, something can be both true and false. I think the singer might have Multiple Personality Disorder. So the singer's personality never went to the tropical island, but everyone saw his body (inhabited by another personality) there. The singer's fractured view of reality continues in the line "simultaneous events don't happen/We are isolated temporally." The singer thinks that everyone inhabits a separate timeline (we are isolated temporally), and therefore it's impossible for things to happen at the same time--if they appear to, it's just everyone's separate reality overlapping. The next few lines emphasize our duality--the singer thinks that we all divide ourselves up into different personalities. And Tambo is happy while Urine Man is sad, even though both are the same person. Things can be true AND false; everything depends on your point of view. In the second verse, we're presented not so much with evidence of fractured realities as with a weird set of paradoxes and impossibilities. "I didn't write the words you hear me singing." We, as TMBG fans, know he did. But it's likely Linnell is not singing as himself, but rather that he's playing the part of the person from whose perspective we see the song. (Hope that made sense...) So the statement is both true and false. "I didn't sing the line before this one." A flat impossibility, unless you count the echo as a line. "You were not the one I was addressing." Also false--the singer *is* adressing us, even while he's denying it. "That person took a train to Africa." Impossible, for someone in North America. The next few lines are a puzzle-- how can the consulate from Belgium be both "a hermit (or Buddhist, take your pick) in a cave" and "pitching for the Oakland Raiders"? (This last statement is also an impossibility; the Oakland Raiders are a football team.) So there it sits. Gotta scoot; seminar at 4. --nicole the wonder nerd who usually isn't so mean... sorry people... I'll return to my usual cheerful self now... I love you all! *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:16:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Posting?/Mono Puff Message-Id: >Now, I am just starting to get into Devo, but I was always under >the impression that DTBS was a direct parody of a Devo song. Feel >free to correct me if I am wrong. But Al does dress up like Devo >in the video. And, as an aside, Al was the first person I saw in >concert. Way long time ago, at the Brown County Fair. It was great. I'm a little into Devo too, and while DTBS isn't a direct parody, it most sounds like 'Big Mess'...is that what it's based on? It's definitely an homage to Devo though...Al's said as much. Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo lead singer) was even going to be in the video, IIRC... Some of the stuff in the video has a definite Devo influence, such as the guy bouncing around in that carpeted room.... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 19:16:58 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Message-Id: OK, don't dismiss this idea like I did the first time I read it. A while back there was a thread on if this list should be moderated or not. Not like Leo needs more work or anything, but this list really should be moderated. If you think about all the poopy posts that have been made recently, (Non mentioning any person in particular who's name is Mark) and the obvious deteriation that has occured in this list, it really makes sense. The days of Tray and Flesh Fest and John is dead are over. Now, half the messages are about Shock Rockers and Ska-wannabers. I really hope you all consider that this list be moderated, it would be a much better thing to read. P.S. VLAD! CHECK YOUR SIG! Try this: "Here's hoping you don't, become a robot." ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ | . \ ___ | |_ ___ _ _ _| |_ | | / _> _ _ ___ | |_ <_>| || | | || | | // . \| . \/ ._>| '_> | | | |_ _ | <_/\| '_><_> || . \| || || | | || | |_\_\\___/|___/\___.|_| |_| |___|<_> `____/|_| <___||___/|_||_||_| |_||_| "Oh, so hot." -Servo ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Message-Id: <9704082329.AA14743@sncils.snc.edu> Subject: TMBG: Kitten Intro... Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:29:19 -0500 (CDT) Does anyone else here get a little unnerved whilst listening to the Kitten Intro? Whenever I hear "Listen... to the sound... of my voice!" I just get shivers... It's remarkably odd. I was listening to that CD before Jazz Band today, and right before I left the room, that's what I heard; It's been echoing around my head ever since then. Ah, well... -CJ, who's quite frankly very tired of his .sig, that being the primary reason for its noninclusion here. *zap* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334ADD94.4680@ou.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 18:06:44 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Art is in the mind of the beholder Hey now!! I know I am not the only art major here! Even if not majors, I'm sure there are literally gobs of people that "can appreciate great art".... slightly aggrevated, Heather *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "Laughter is day, and sobriety is night, and a smile is the twilight that hovers between both- more bewitching than either." - "A Smile" Henry Ward Beecher "I'd rather be a slave and love, Than be an emperor and not." - "The Turn Of The Worm" Whitney Montgomery *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Charles Box wrote: > > Well I had a friend who used this song in college for an art dissertation > and as far as I know, it is pretty obviously about someone smitten by a > piece of art... i.e. a statue or bust of some sort... I guess no one on > this list can really appreciate great art... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: TMBG: Can't we all just get along???? Date: Wed, 09 Apr 97 17:16:56 PDT Hi all! *pulls out the soap box* I will admit that some of the tangents have gotten quite ridiculous, derivative, and non-TMBG related, but I don't think that's reason to become moderated. When things start getting derivative or petty, please just take them off the list and into your personal mailboxes. I really don't want to listen to people arguing about Marilyn Manson and how one becomes a homosexual, and even though I may enjoy talking ska music, I know this is not the place to have in-depth discussions on the topic... it fit in originally, and at a certain point, when it really doesn't matter to the masses anymore I take it off the list and into personal mailboxes. *climbs off the soap box, and puts it away* Oh, and Greetings to all the newbies and lurkers who have been posting recently! It seems like there's a fairly decent number of you out there. Usually the petty arguments here are a little bit more related to the 2 John's. Trading cards, anyone? :) Michelle In the CD Player right now: Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack. Came out today. YAY! Even has a couple of good ska songs on it. :) And a REALLY REALLY REALLY good Violent Femmes song. YAY!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:01:56 -0400 From: Bjb Message-ID: <334ADC74.78A9@geocities.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: BELLS MIDI? is there a MIDI file for the bells are ringing? I saw something at the ftp://www.tmbg.org site thing, but it said it wasn't there. I don't know..... thanks... -- Faboo23 http://faboo.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334B099D.351@awod.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:14:37 -0700 From: "Dallas V." Subject: TMBG: Anticipation of moderation In case you haven't noticed I haven't posted in a long time. THis is because I'm so sick of all the unrelated things you people talk about these days. When I first got on this list most of the posts were interps or announcements. Now it's mostly little one-line agreements or "cute" remarks. Save this type of thing for chat rooms. #tmbg on the IRC server us.undernet.org is the perfect place to have clever banter, the list is not. Leo once talked about developing an announcement-only list, I think this is an idea that should be pursued because frankly this list is no longer tmbg-relavent. I'm sorry I had to do this and take up valueble room myself, but we need to create a stricter-formatted list for the people who don't care about peoples' dreams and Marilyn Manson. Thanks if you made it to this line, Brother JohnBejezus * ---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 I'm convinced that I woke up one day, and never made, a speck of sense, anymore" - David Thomas * ----------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334AFC0A.6A27@mail.lcu.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 19:16:42 -0700 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: TMBG: Don Juan???? Where did you guys get that whole "Don Juan" thing about SGMH? I know TMBG writes some deep stuff, but egad!!! That's scrounging beneath the techtonic plates. Can't you ppl just read what the song says? *(don't get mad at me, now! I didn't call anyone a bizz-ach)* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334AB78F.1D06@baka.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:24:31 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? > > Where did you guys get that whole "Don Juan" thing about SGMH? I know > TMBG writes some deep stuff, but egad!!! That's scrounging beneath the > techtonic plates. Can't you ppl just read what the song says? > *(don't get mad at me, now! I didn't call anyone a bizz-ach)* I fervently believe that it is easy to overinterpret a song(as in the XXY Kleinfelter's interp of SEXXY and almost any interpretation of Particle Man), but I think in this case Don Juan is what Statue is about. There's a talking statue controlling someone's mind and killing them. How likely is it that both TMBG and whoever wrote Don Juan thought these up seperately? Hey, if we overlook about 400 years, maybe we can conclude that the guy who wrote Don Juan was inspired by TMBG. It worked for Allen Ginsburg, XTC, and Adam Ant, why not Don Juan? :) ..and since the name of the band inspired a movie which inspired Cervantes to write a book with a character who thought windmills were Giants, we can conclude that TMBG are at the center of all history AND the force behind the continured existance of the universe!!!!! -- "This is still the greatest country in the world if we just steel our wills and lose our minds"-Bill Clinton Jonah, who really hopes no one takes this post seriously ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970408212433.00712f10@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:24:33 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? At 07:16 PM 4/8/97 -0700, ECKM1657 wrote: >Where did you guys get that whole "Don Juan" thing about SGMH? I know >TMBG writes some deep stuff, but egad!!! That's scrounging beneath the >techtonic plates. Can't you ppl just read what the song says? >*(don't get mad at me, now! I didn't call anyone a bizz-ach)* > The Don Juan in question is prolly not the one that you're thinking of, namely the Lord Byron poem. The Statue Got Me High is based on the frechman Moliere's play, Don Juan or it could be based on Mozart's opera Don Giovanni which is basically the same as the play. To summarize the play, Don Juan, everyone's favorite playboy, sees a statue one day and has a conversation with it. He invites the staue home to dinner as opposed to a human guest. During the meal Don realizes the statue isnt exactly what he had thought but before he can get away the statue hypnotizes him and makes him sit back down. The the statue kills him and sends him to hell. I basically paraphrased this from the interps on tmbg.org and if you read the summary and then go back to the lyrics for Statue then it really makes sense. A lot of sense. Just putting in my knickle's worth, Jeff Roberts "But I was young and foolish then. I feel old and foolish now." -They Might Be Giants "What the world needs now is a another folk singer like I need a hole in my head." -Cracker ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:20:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Larger Than Life Message-ID: I worked out most of the words to Larger Than Life, but I'm missing about two whole sentences, and I know they used to have part of the words on tmbg.org, but now they don't. I wondered if anyone has the old parts of the words or feels like trying to figure some out? I would appreciate any help. Thanks. RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334B1A96.1ECF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:27:02 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Anticipation of moderation > #tmbg on the IRC server > us.undernet.org is the perfect place to have clever banter Hey! Dont forget, there is also a channel on the chatnet network, one of the good servers is rockhill.sc.us.chatnet.org. Not saying there is anything wrong with undernet, but I have found the people on those channels rather rude and coarse. (not on #tmbg, though!) So I suggest that you all try out the #tmbg channel on chatnet, Its run by me, and my name on IRC is Lego_man. P.S. Mention this post and you get a special prize! :) Kevin ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 11:35:51 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Elementary, my dear Spock. Message-id: <2C9D25B6BB7@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University > > Um... Spock wasn't a doctor, was he? (Someone with vast ST:TOS > > knowledge please back me up on this.) "Dr. Spock," however, was a > > real person. He wrote a child care book, I think. > > Being a big ST fan I can verify that you are right on both cases. > Spock is not a Doctor, in fact his official position is Lieutenant > Commander/Commander depending on the series. He was often confused > with Dr Benjamin Spock, a child care guru of the 60's. He later became > prominent in the late 80's for something else, but I can't remember > what. Sorry to be a bit of a pedant, but Spock also had the title of Ambassador in later movies and TNG. Not really relevant I know... Hannah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:02:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote: ** Giovanni which is basically the same as the play. To summarize the play, ** Don Juan, everyone's favorite playboy, sees a statue one day and has a ** conversation with it. He invites the staue home to dinner as opposed to a ** human guest. During the meal Don realizes the statue isnt exactly what he ** had thought but before he can get away the statue hypnotizes him and makes ** him sit back down. The the statue kills him and sends him to hell. ** I basically paraphrased this from the interps on tmbg.org and if you read ** the summary and then go back to the lyrics for Statue then it really makes ** sense. A lot of sense. Yes, although the interpretation fits the song, Linnell didn't write the song with it in mind. "This song is based on the life of Don Giovanni, although I didn't know that when I wrote the song." So, unless he lied totally and boldly, we _do_ just have a large coincidence. I think the artwork interp works just as well. In fact, in 7-8th grade (12th currently), I used to say that good works of art (particularly books and poems) 'fried' me, as did my friends. For example: "Hey, did you read The Illearth War last night?" "Oh my god! Yes! That book fried me so hard!" I also sprinkled 'toasted' quite liberally throughout my conversations. Works of art can 'fry your brain,' ie disturb you, shake you up, change your outlook, etc. So, the speaker in the song saw some universal truth (or whatever) contained in the statue ("chipped away the lie," etc), and it made him feel as if he had a fried brain, as if he had died ('No way! You mean Birdhouse is about a _nightlight_??? I think I'll just die now.'), etc. He just flipped it around to literal and took it even further, saying that the statue actually burnt him to a crisp. Very cool. It also fits in with the idea that They write about internal ideas (ie getting disturbed by good works of art) as opposed to the external world (ie Don Juan or 2001), but we won't know for sure unless Linnell tells us, and They seem fairly allergic to doing that. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:11:40 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos >Well... surely you can't deny the reference to "getting high." I, myself, >agree that the story is about Don Juan (although I thought he was >definitely NOT AKA Don Quixote)... maybe so... although Linnell himself >is recorded saying he didn't write it about that. My bad. :( I meant Don Juan AKA Don Giovanni, but my brain was on vacation at the time I last posted. (I also spelt Mozart wrong) >Hey now!! I know I am not the only art major here! Even if not majors, >I'm sure there are literally gobs of people that "can appreciate great >art".... uh yeah, me too art major. yup. yup. Finally, I did get the interp. from the tmbg.org files, and thanks to whoever wrote it long ago. I BELIEVE... -ellen g. April is the crulest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain. -T. S. Eliot ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:13:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970408221133_1750968873@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Floodies," Ska Saying that a "Floodie" is a wannabe fan who only owns Flood is pretty accurate, but not everyone who owns just Flood is one. I only own one cd of some artists, but I don't pretent that I know their work that well, wheras a Floodie doesn't seem to know or care that TMBG ever did anything else besides "Istanbul" and "Particle Man." Ska, from what little I've heard of it, is very happy sounding horn music. If you have Mono Puff's Unsupervised, "Dr. Kildare" is pretty ska-ish, tho probably not any more authentically ska than TMBG's self-described "fake country" songs. In fact, that's a good question for those ono the list more knowledgeable of ska than I--just how "ska" is "Dr. Kildare"? Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704082226.RAA29512@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:22:05 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? ska is derived from reggae, has more of a rocking sound, and incorporates lots of brass. there is generally a specific ska beat (piggitupiggitupiggitup) that bands such as the bosstones and no doubt use. the bosstones are ska-core, a hybrid of ska and noise-core, and no doubt are pop that take some ska influences. there's nothing wrong with this. for a sampling of true ska, i recommend "the 2-tone collection", a great double disc set that includes the likes of madness, the (english) beat, and the specials, to name a few. cheers, geoff At 04:47 PM 4/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >Call me an idiot, but what is ska music? > >Uninformed, but willing to learn, >Tarnished Silence > >/-------------------------------------------------------------\ >| "No one in the world ever gets what they want, | >| And that is beautiful. | >| Everyone dies frustrated and sad, | >| And that is beautiful. | >| They want what they're not and I wish they would stop." | >| - They Might Be Giants | >| | >| *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | >| prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | >| ********************************************************* | >| Beyond your wildest senses, there remains one............ | >\-------------------------------------------------------------/ > > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:21:30 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Kitten Intro... Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > Does anyone else here get a little unnerved whilst listening to the Kitten > Intro? Whenever I hear "Listen... to the sound... of my voice!" I just > get shivers... It's remarkably odd. I was listening to that CD before Jazz > Band today, and right before I left the room, that's what I heard; It's been > echoing around my head ever since then. The Kitten Intro is the coolest thing I have ever heard. Well you *asked*. Didn't you? Oh. -Lani "Beavis, this is the coolest thing I have ever seen." O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ And the teenage boys did holler and the teenage girls did faint When they saw the bone protruding from the varnish and the paint... -Brian Dewan --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970408222455.0069a694@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:24:55 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety will I be first to post? Anyway, they played TMHFO, and Graham did backup vocals... The lyric change struck me as odd... As for the rest of the show... it kindof sucked.... oh well... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:30:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: VV Message-ID: Hey/hay, Now even though I know They must have had some reason for soing that show, the show itself was terrible!!!! I will never watch Viva Variety again unless a really good band (ie Them) are on it. I am serious. It was very very unfunny for those of you that don't get CC. Other than the general badness of the show..... Ummmmm...... I liked Them. That was about it. And the entire time I was thinking, "did Linny dye his hair? It looks darker thani it did in October. Or is it the TV? Oh well. I want to hug you, but you're married" would be a nice loose interpretation of thoughts. Yeah. Anyway I'm off to pursue more worthwhile matters.... Sporkie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Spork Princess" ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ too late to turn back now, i'm running out of sound/ and i am changing, changing/ and if we died right now, this fool you love somehow is here with you/ i won't deny the pain/ i won't deny the change/ and should i fall from grace here with you/ would you leave me too? -SP "Galapogos" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:33:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > As for the rest of the show... it kindof sucked.... oh well... Yeah, I think Linnell thought so, too. He looked less than amused. And what was up with Flans being stuck off to the side? Why wasn't he singing back-up? Hmm.. * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kylee Dickey 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | "Life's like a movie: Write your http://www.tripod.com/~ShortOne | own ending. Keep believing, keep she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | pretending." --Kermit the Frog * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970408224035.0073d6a0@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:40:38 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety >Anyway, they played TMHFO, and Graham did backup vocals... The lyric change >struck me as odd... What was he saying? Have some respect for someone more (decrepid?) than yourself? I don't know, I like the line about frosted shower stalls, but whatever. Was that Pearlie in the background? Was that Mike Viola on guitar? Didn't Flans hurt himself breaking all of his strings? Am I rambling? This and many more, coming soon. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704090243.WAA21704@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 8 Apr 1997 21:41:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety I just got done watching TMBG on viva variety. They kicked ass (should we have expected anything else?). One thing I noticed was that the editors of the show apperently were not aware that everyone's favorite giants are John and John. They had plenty of shots of John L, but Flanny got the short end of the stick. Anyone else notice this? Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:43:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Anyway, they played TMHFO, and Graham did backup vocals... The lyric change > struck me as odd... Yeah, did you notice it almost didnt seem natural either, Linnell sort of stumbled over the words during the change.. ~-~\ /~-~ | ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ | | "Ah, Becky Forslind, I guess she isn't dead." | | -Scott Pozerski | | kai@wpi.edu *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* www.wpi.edu/~kai | *-*-*-*-*-*-*/ \*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19960410024820.006be5cc@mail.binghamton.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 22:48:20 -0400 From: Richard Chung Subject: TMBG: tmbg:VV did anyone notice that they didn't seem too happy to be there? also the lead singer for ...ohh .... not the candy butchers, the other band that opened for them at the first ip show...he played with them then also...oh well, he played with them also and he seemed to have fun anyway.. rich ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:50:58 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? Message-ID: Yeah, that's what I want to know. I thought for sure that the Bosstones were ska. -Mark On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > Call me an idiot, but what is ska music? > > Uninformed, but willing to learn, > Tarnished Silence > > /-------------------------------------------------------------\ > | "No one in the world ever gets what they want, | > | And that is beautiful. | > | Everyone dies frustrated and sad, | > | And that is beautiful. | > | They want what they're not and I wish they would stop." | > | - They Might Be Giants | > | | > | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | > | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | > | ********************************************************* | > | Beyond your wildest senses, there remains one............ | > \-------------------------------------------------------------/ > > ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:55:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970408223836_-301854553@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety Well I saw TMBG on Viva Variety. They played Til My Head Falls Off I was surprised that John F. didn't sing but the bass player did But he did pull all the strings off his guitar after They were through Maniac http://www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:05:23 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199704090305.VAA06306@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: TMBG: Weep Day and the Sun Well, I was doing my Tale of Two Cities homework, and I spent the entire time listening to Weep Day. I absolutely love this song! Anyway, I had to rewrite the opening line of ToTC any way I wanted, and this is what I came up with: It was the best of men, it was the worst of men, it was only a part, it was the whole thing, it was the best of opinions, it was the worst of them, it was the better half, it was the worse half, it was the time of women, it was the time of men, it was the time of solitude, it was the time of west-German Protest marches, it was the time of spontaneous events, it was the time of temporary isolation, it was the time for dancing to the tambourine, it was the time to weep softly all day -- in short, I didn't write the line before this one, so that people were taking trains to Africa, becoming hermits, and pitching no-hitters to themselves, yes it's Samba time for Tambo and Weep Day for Urine Man. Also, I am interested in using WDTSS? in a video for school, but I would greatly prefer to use the rockin' concert version. If anyone has a fairly clear copy of this song, please let me know. Thanx. Dave Simpson LotharCo 'cause good is dumb Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970406133209.2257807e@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 13:32:09 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety I just saw the show and I must say I liked it. They didn't show Flans enough, in my opinion, but luckily the cameras caught him ripping out his guitar strings at the end of "Till My Head Falls Off." Linnell was just plain spooky. At the end of the show he just stared into the camera. Creepy and eerie even (that's why we love him!) All in all, a good appearance. -Chris Combs aka BTW: http://w3.one.net/~goatboy/viva.wav (2meg) :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:17:51 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs >> I think the lyrics of both "Nightgown" and "Spiralling Shape" are >> discouraging the use of psychedelic drugs ("but everyone wants to see that >> groovy thing.") > >This is a reasonable suggestion, but the quote you used as evidence to back >up your statement is completely irrelevant? (is that really a question?) >How can you explain yourself? > >Ray After thinking about it, I realized that "Nightgown" probably isn't about a drug trip so I feel I bit insulted. I still think that "Spiraling Shape" could be easily interpreted to be about drugs. Seeing "that groovy thing" is a reason why some people take drugs out of curiosity. It also makes sense to say the song is about possible negative consequences of many different things, including virtual reality. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334B0992.6052@erols.com> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:14:26 -0400 From: Zydell Organization: N/A Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety > I just got done watching TMBG on viva variety. They kicked ass (should > we have expected anything else?). One thing I noticed was that the > editors of the show apperently were not aware that everyone's favorite > giants are John and John. They had plenty of shots of John L, but > Flanny got the short end of the stick. Anyone else notice this? Yeah, he was over to the side, but I loved it when he pulled all his strings off! I had never seen such a close up of them. I was on the edge of my seat...It was great!!! And I loved it at the end of the show when Linnel was right behind that actor and he looked like I felt... "ok, when IS this guy going to be funny, and How long do I have to stand here." I don't think that was pearl behind them...too much hair. Did anyone know ahead of time what they would play? I think they made a good choice. I (of course) taped it, and will watch it over and over. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 23:15:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? and Musings on this list Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Geoffrey McNulty wrote: ** ska is derived from reggae, has more of a rocking sound, and incorporates Uh-oh. No. Ska predates both reggae and punk, as both reggae and punk (as well as some other styles, I believe) grew out of ska. But you had the rest right, although I deleted it. I saw a whole PBS special on ska once, so I feel very confident in stating all of this, although I've never really heard much ska. PS I have learned a few things about this list lately: 1) You can't post related messages if A) You use up more than a page or two. B) You write two one-line messages. C) People don't like your opinions or topic. 2) You can't post unrelated messages unless A) People enjoy what you have to say. B) You haven't violated any rules from part 1, and people ignore or don't mind your message. 3) People don't mind taking time out of their own days to start unrelated flame wars, actually writing huge, triple-quoted messages that have nothing to do with TMBG, just to preach to you and others about why you should act politely and not post irrelevant and unrelated messages. 4) People think that if they rudely yell at people who they think have acted insensitively or irresponsibly, preferably to the list while quoting an entire threadful of messages, those people will magically get 'cured' or will realize the error of their ways and apologize. Since they should not, _must_ not act the way you don't want them to act (no, they should act how you do...), their actions _force_ you (rather than your own brain deciding) to snap at them on the list... If anyone actually thinks this will work, I'd honestly like you to explain how you think yelling at someone helps that person to act better, or helps correct a wrong, because in my experience, it does not. I wonder, if we just ignored all the messages we didn't like, or sent a private email to the sender, would our problem of unrelated messages and insensitive people get... bigger? Or would it... Nevermind. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:56:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Stolon Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-97 Message-Id: Hello list people, Well, I was supposed to setup the "get-together" before the April 12th show for all the listers and everyone else that wanted to go. Unfortunately, my first choice for a meeting place (Dennys) doesn't seem to exist in downtown St. Pete, so, in lieu of Denny's, I've decided we might as well just meet in front of Jannus, and go somewhere from there. The place opens at 7, and the show starts at 8, so I was figuring on 5pm for a good time to meet. I should have a small enterage with me of freaks, I will have a very blue fish shirt that's shreaded and ragged-like, i'm about 6'3 or so, long hair..very freakish... I'd appreciate it if any(every)one that plans on attending email me (see bottom), and I can send you a picture of myself if necessary....I'll probably be there from 4:45 to 5:15...anyways..I'll shutup now..bye... Sean Stolon KF4PUV jlinnell@tmbg.org deathinc@spilk.org sstolon@intnet.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:37:54 -0500 (EST) From: Ann Priestman Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety and Spock Message-id: On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 hlan1@student.monash.edu.au wrote: > Sorry to be a bit of a pedant, but Spock also had the title of > Ambassador in later movies and TNG. Not really relevant I know... He also held the rank of Captain in some of the movies. Not that anyone really cares anymore... And on the very same day, utopiaone@qconline.com wrote: > One thing I noticed was that the > editors of the show apperently were not aware that everyone's favorite > giants are John and John. They had plenty of shots of John L, but > Flanny got the short end of the stick. Anyone else notice this? I haven't seen it yet (what I would give for cable in my dorm room...) but I would guess it's because Linnell was singing the lead part. I noticed a while back on Conan and especially Larry Sanders that they didn't show Linnell nearly as much as Flans, because Flans was singing the lead part. -Ann ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704090346.XAA11908@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 23:40:49 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Hi. This is my first TMBG review ever (although I will have one for the 4/24/97 show), so bear with me. It also happens to be my second post. Anyway... They Might Be Giants performed on the television show "Viva Variety," which aired a 10:00 April 8, 1997 on Comedy Central. The actual show could've been better (last weeks was good) but here's the lowdown on TMBG: First, a setlist: Till My Head Falls Off OK, now that thats done with, on with the performance. Flans was wearing a suit and Linnell had a striped shirt. The stage was like this: Flans Eric Graham Linnell Linnell looked dead. He has rings around his eyes. He did not appear to be well. Maybe he was sick; I think he may have had a challenge with another immortal after or before the show. Maybe Johnny Blue Jeans. That would be cool. Anyhow, 'forgetful,' as in more forgetful than yourself was changed to 'decrepit.' I liked it. At the end Flans ripped out his guitar strings. That was cool. The performance was good but not outstanding. At the end, all the cast members and guest and so forth gathered in a crowd (you know what I'm talking about). Linnell was standing behind the host and he looked real spaced out. Flansburgh was on the other side and seemed more sociable. Thats my review, for what its worth. Stay tuned. -Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704090342.WAA69786@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:37:52 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's SKA? and Musings on this list actually, we are both wrong. ska and reggae appeared at roughly the same time, and had equal amounts of influence upon one another. lalalalala. and yes, punk came MUCH later than either of the two. They Might Be Giants came around in the mid 80's. hooray for technology. geoff At 11:15 PM 4/8/97 -0400, you wrote: >On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Geoffrey McNulty wrote: > >** ska is derived from reggae, has more of a rocking sound, and incorporates > > Uh-oh. No. Ska predates both reggae and punk, as both reggae and punk >(as well as some other styles, I believe) grew out of ska. But you had the >rest right, although I deleted it. I saw a whole PBS special on ska once, so >I feel very confident in stating all of this, although I've never really >heard much ska. > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:12:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970408235458_211884878@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT OMLT bo bOMLT, banana fanna fo OMLT Everyone, say it with me now! "We only have until noon this Friday to get our FINAL OMLT ORDERS to the splendiferous Goddess, because otherwise she will not include our order in the final count and we will not get a shirt and all the other TMBG list memebers will SHUN US FOREVER." How well-trained you all are. Now, what about that order? "Send your name/shipping address, e-mail address, and number/size of shirts wanted to christy@tmbg.org. We promise to allow the Goddes to rip out our spleens if we ask about pricing." Very good. You all get A's in Rote Memorization. If you haven't gotten a confirmation yet, it's because my fingers are tired. Relax. If you don't get one by Thursday night, then you can start worrying, but right now just hang in there. No need to re-send your order. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:20:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Nathan Smith Subject: NON-TMBG:Ska Message-ID: All right, I will try to answer all of everybody's questions to Ska. Most of my CDs are ska so I will try to explain with what knowledge I have. A quote I once heard is that Ska is punk music for people who don't like punk, and jazz music for people who don't like jazz. That is an understatment, but says a lot for today's modern ska bands. It start back in the early 50's and sixties with Jamaican natives playing music with an upbeat style and horns. The tempo was slow and had a certain swing to it. (A side note, the first skin heads that origianted with ska music were black, so it kinda makes the racist skin heads hypocrites!) Reaggae is an offshoot from ska music. There are three waves of ska, each separated by a down in popularity. The First wave is in the early 60's. Second is around the 70's and 80's (otherwise known as two-tone), and we are in the third wave at this moment. OK, enough history.. Ska is a fusion of jazz, R&B, with third wave incorporating punk. Ska bands have a strong drum beat and a bass player that lays down walking bass lines that are usually found in jazz. The guitar is not as important as it is in modern bands. The guitar usually plays a backgroud upbeat. Much like french horns do in some classical pieces. A piano player is not required, but most bands do drag one around to add a full-er sound and it is more reminiscent of the old style of ska. Third wave bands, such as Mephiskapheles, Blue Meanies, Spring Heeled Jack, Reel Big Fish, and Mock Turtle Soup, all have a fast tempo that is used to create "fun, dancable music." Rude Boy and Skakin' are often terms used to describe the people and the dance done at shows. In essence, Ska is music that originated before reggae in Jamaica. It progressed into the modern state to have a more heavy punk edge. But there is still a lot of jazz and reggae feel. But, don't take my word for it... go to the following URL to hear full CDs from ska bands via Real Audio.. http://ww2.audionet.com/jukebox/ska.htm Also check out http://www.rudenet.com They have a radio show that is broadcasted over the internet. Again, this is my personal opinion. Most of it is fact, but there is some bais basically because ska is just ...there. You can't explain ska, you have to experience. To me it is the ultimate form of entertainment. The best person that I have seen to expain it is the ska faq http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/music/ska-faq/part1/faq.html go there to get the most accurate definition without an bias. Enjoy ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 00:30:58 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <334B1B82.54AD@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Viva and stuff Well, I have to disagree with some of you and say that I love Viva Variety...but I also loved the State... I knew a few people at that recording of viva and they said that They were generally unfriendly that day...but you have to let Them be unfriendly sometimes, They can't be everyone's best friend. don't worry too much about Linnel...he looked just fine at last Saturday's Boston show, as many of us can attest to I also broke my glasses at that Boston show and went and got new ones yesterday...oops was that related enough? I also revamped my web site and included my rather long winded life story, which mentions TMBG a few times...there's also a section in my website about sexuality that might be of interest to some of you that got involved in that thread I don't like to look too far into the meanings of Their songs...maybe to have a small hint of it...like that Weep Day has something to do with Paradoxes...but I'm not into exact interpretations...and actually in my band, that's how we write songs...with a general theme um, yeah, posting unrelated stuff is wrong...and um...I really can't respond to all that stuff, except to say that you have to learn when to respond to individuals...and you all seem to be getting way too caught up in it I honestly think a list that was all interps and announcements would be boring you shouldn't knock Floodies so hard...I've known a few floodies that became super fans, after they realized what great stuff they were listening to...personally, some of my fav songs are on flood...so please don't knock the album itself either later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to: Comanche.Cake ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:34:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409000831_1055312735@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Oops again! Viva variety Sorry, I know, you can all kill me for posting twice, but I forgot to mention that I just witnessed TMBG's appearance on Viva Variety, where they performed Till My Head Falls Off (!!!). I was pleasently surprised that they had moved on from SEXXY, which was starting to get stale. Some guy in violently magenta pants was there playing guitar, which threw me for a loop until I realized it was Mike Viola (of the world-famous Candy Butchers, who continue to refuse to release a full-legnth album, grrr). Evidently he was filling in for Their "top-dollar" guitarist who must have been eaten by sharks while in Hawaii. Not that I am complaining. Mike Viola is a vast improvement, not that I want to start that Eric-bashing thread again. Also I got a glimpse of Dan, um, Hickey (that poor boy, I wonder what *his* nickname was in high school), their new drummer. I was impressed. He comes far closer to Brian on the "Excellent Hair" scale than I thought he would. Oh yeah, and I guess he's an OK drummer, too :) Anyway, I would just like to say that the little 10-second part near the end of the song when Flans ripped all the strings off his guitar was itself funnier than all the rest of that crappy show combined. I apologize to fans, but I just could not find any humor in it. On its own, though, one of the better TV performances by TMBG that I have seen. (Everyone congratulate me! I got through this entire post without mentioning how cute Linnell looked! "Gorgeous rock stars," indeed. ...oops.) --Christy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704090437.XAA17516@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:32:14 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Ska holy damn cow, boy have i been wrong alot lately!!! first hello and now this ska thing. thank you for clearing that up. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:41:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Trenton concert review Message-ID: Hi all! I just got back from the concert, and only one word can describe it: awesome. Here is how my day with They went... It started at 1pm when I arrived at the radio station to go over questions for the interview with the person who was helping me with it. I was there till 3:30 when I left to do some academic work. I left at 4:45 to pick up the Johns so the interview could be taped. Problem: Linnell showed up at 4, the sound check had to be done and the TV news program's interview was before mine. So I waited in the Rec Center for an hour. I was able to watch the sound check from the upper level of the center. They did She's Actual Size, Meet James Ensor, S-E-X-X-Y and Spiralling Shape during the check. At 5:45 Flansburgh came upstairs. He said he would be the only one doing the radio interview (I did get to shake Linnell's hand though). So we were off to the radio station. The interview started at 6 and lasted for 40 minutes, twice as long as I expected. We talked about T:TEY, Factory Showroom, Dial-A-Song, new albums, the Japan/Austraila dates, coffee and much much more. He did a couple of Legal IDs for us and he signed my Flood CD. I also got a picture of him reading copy for the ID. I met my friends for the concert at about 7:15. After reading the rules and regulations ad infinitum, we were let in at 7:40. The opening band canceled at the last minute so We Were Spiralling, a Hello Records band, filled in. They did an pretty good half hour set. It was very straight alternative music. It was very bassy and the lead singer looked like he was going to pop his jugular vein any second. At about 9, the fun began. TMBG hit the stage and put on a powerful performance. Their set list follows; it is sort of in order. Spider Guitar Particle Man James K. Polk (confetti cannon shot during this song) Where Your Eyes Don't Go S-E-X-X-Y Twisting Sleeping In the Flowers Older XTC vs. Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy (with the puppets) Spy Shoehorn with Teeth Till My Head Falls Off Birdhouse In Your Soul New York City Spy I Am Not Your Broom She's Actual Size Spiralling Shape Encore: Istanbul (Not Constantinople) No One Knows My Plan They wanted the conga line during this song. All of the audience did it except for the group I was in (we were in the first two rows dead center). The Johns wanted us to join but we refused to budge. All in all it was an excellent performance. It was my first TMBG concert and I am hoping they come back to NJ during the summer because I will make every effort to be there. I may be missing a song or two from the set list but I know that John (with the 2/7 IP setlist) will most likely correct me on that. The interview will be aired on Friday 4/11 on 91.3 WTSR Trenton at 1pm EDT. Afterwards I will either post the transcript here or add a link to my homepage for it. Craig * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Craig Whyte --- whyte@tcnj.edu --- http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte "Gee angel, won't you take these back? Gee Angel, gee angel I need some slack There's nothing in this world that I'd rather do Than buy a set of wings and fly away with you" -Sugar, "Gee Angel" * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:56:35 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: VV Message-ID: <19970409.010320.3342.2.bob_iii@juno.com> i thought viva variety would be a better show too seeing how great the state was but it did lack something like glue that holds a show together , but if you saw the one before these two hispanic guys balanced oppside down and one right side up on daggers like this \/ /:\ 0 daggers in both mouths 0 \;/ / \ anyway i wish tmbg did a different son i was never fond of tha one i hope it's not there nexted single ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 01:02:50 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Message-ID: <19970409.010320.3342.3.bob_iii@juno.com> Linnell looked dead. He has rings around his eyes. He did not appear to be well. Maybe he was sick; I think he may have had a challenge with another immortal after or before the show. Maybe Johnny Blue Jeans. That would be cool To sum up the comment my girlfreind made it looked like he was up all night doing whatever woke up remembered uhh man i have to do a show arrghh where is that building (after she said it i hit her for talking during it (g)) BOB_III@JUNO.COM "don't knock masturbation it's having sex with someone i love" woody allen ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:51:28 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: "Floodies, Message-ID: <19970409.010320.3342.1.bob_iii@juno.com> I was wondering if anyone else ever experinced this when listening to a tape like flood which i had and practically wore out when my friend down the street got the cd now i can't fight the urge to switch tracks but it lost some of the great i dunno something but the stuff i have on cd i feel fine about flipping between songs the other tape i have is micolanous T "mispelled" and i am afraid to buy the ealier years thinking that i can't listen to it ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nGn3q600iVGMKluFQ@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 02:02:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Mr. Me Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Apr-97 TMBG: Mr. Me by The Gottschalks@tenet.ed > Okay, everybody's hating me now. That's natural. But might I say a few > general things? Okay. "Fagactivity" was a humerous word refering to being > gay. It doesn't make me homophobic if I can joke about gay people, and > contraversial groups in general. I never said it was wrong to be there's a difference between "joking" about it and referring to it using derogatory words. In all cases, "fag" or any word derived from it, is an inappropriate way to refer to a homosexual. Not to mention that the issue of sexual preference/orientation is not generally a good one to joke about. > act gay. I realize not everyone has seen this, but I have. And if the > tables were turned and I was gay, I'd feel the same way. then if you realize that people were offended by what you said, and that were you in their shoes you would be, why'd you say it? > and no one else needs to "come to her rescue." Besides, do you think > anyone on this list cares what I say anyway? not particularly. > But while on the subject of profanity, I'd like to point out how > freedome of expression is limited to "appropriate" words. To me, it's > because people just don't like strong opinions. Now, spare me from your > responses. I assume that every person on this list is strongly against > that belief. PLEASE, I don't want to hear it. tough. you posted it, expect to get responses. > About the poet who died, I recieved many condescending replies > about how wonderful the guy was and how ignorant I am for not knowing it. I > don't want to hear lectures, people, so please get off it! > Peaceful list, yes. Let's have one. So please everyone, quit attacking me. No one is attacking you, personally. They are, if such a word can be used, attacking your method of explaining your points, all of which, although they may be disagreeable to some, can be argued for rationally. > P.S. I've made my points repeatedly, so I won't respond to your negative > responses. I'm too tired. fine. but at least take to heart what we do say. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-98 *****************************