Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-99 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 99 Thursday, 10 April 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: non-tmbg:mp3 help TMBG: NON-TMBG Finale. TMBG: Re: EKYIW TMBG: something frustrating. Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: TMBG: Drugs Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue TMBG: Re: tmbg:trenton TMBG: TTEY in Aus Re: TMBG: Re: EKYIW Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: NON-TMBG:Ska Re: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety Re: NON-TMBG:Ska TMBG: viva.wav Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: tmbg question TMBG: The 3rd or 4th Annual Statue Got Me High Message Re: TMBG: Re: New York City by the Cubs TMBG: Viva Variety a bit weak? / Dream! DREAM! Re: TMBG: VV (For those who missed it) Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: Earlier Years: How to Handle it TMBG: Viva/dreams/drugs/etc. Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: Cub / Ska / Soap / High / M2 / misc / Weep Day / Moderation / Re: TMBG: something frustrating. NON-TMBG: Steve Vallone, please email me TMBG: Hooray! Re: TMBG: Cub / Ska Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos TMBG: tmbg: cub TMBG: Concert Re: TMBG: Drugs Re: TMBG: The 3rd or 4th Annual Statue Got Me High Message TMBG: Pictures from Boston TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-98 TMBG: Little late w/ the info..... TMBG: Become A Robot TMBG: viva.wav Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing TMBG: I'M GOING INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Drugs TMBG: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing Re: TMBG: Viva and stuff TMBG: Certain People TMBG: Interps and 'Scene' TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: FS sessions TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: Statue and Don Juan TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety TMBG: RE: TMBG FLOOD INSIDE PIC TMBG: RE: Thought for the day Re: TMBG: Drugs Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety TMBG: Newsradio TMBG: Mark TMBG: Re: Viva Variety/Linnell & Graham Singing TMBG: Misc. T.(opics) Re: TMBG: Newsradio Re: TMBG: Re: Viva Variety/Linnell & Graham Singing TMBG: Kenyon College show April 26 Re: TMBG: Viva and stuff Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety TMBG: Re: TMBG summary TMBG: KU show Re: TMBG: tmbg: cub Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing TMBG: Friendly Postings... TMBG: OMLTs, etc Re: Non-TMBG: HORDE Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 02:05:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Apr-97 Re: TMBG: Don Juan???? by Jeff Roberts@po.cwru.edu > Moliere's play, Don Juan or it could be based on Mozart's opera Don > Giovanni which is basically the same as the play. To summarize the play, "This song is about the life of Don Giovanni.... but I didn't know that when I wrote it." - John Linnell, 10/14/94, Live in NY. so they've apparently heard our interpretations of it as such, but wrote it with different ideas in mind, whatever they may be... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 02:07:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Apr-97 TMBG: Viva Variety by utopiaone@qconline.com > giants are John and John. They had plenty of shots of John L, but > Flanny got the short end of the stick. Anyone else notice this? You'll have that - he sings the lead vocal in the song. If they'd done New York City, most of the shots would have been of Flans, probably. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 02:18:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Nathan Smith Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:mp3 help Message-ID: I am trying to turn a wav file into a mp3 and each time I do it, it is giving me a fatal error. If anyone has done this before, could you email me and aid in my quest. Here is what I am putting in, I think there is only one program that makes mp3s so I think people should know what I am talking about 13enc mac.wav mac.mp3 and I have also tried this 13enc mac.wav mac.mp3 -hq (another program that I have, the 1 is changed to a l) I have tried changing the names so they are different and, yes, the file is in the 13enc folder. When it is run it says fatal error, better luck next time. Email me and not to the list. Thanks, ---===Nathan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704090538.AAA19055@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG Finale. Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 01:29:10 -0500 And the Mark, with a spark, had spake, I think: > > If you understoood me, you wouldn't call me hypocritical. > How true. And if I understood Advanced Temporal Mechanics, I could go back in time and stop _myself_ from doing stupid things. But 'using insults' to 'discourage personal insults' is the definition of hypocrasy. Sort of like hitting a child to discourage 'being bad'. Mike "or not. Perhaps it's something else" Leffel That is all. I just would like to NOT download swearing over silly little incidents. Thanks. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: EKYIW Message-ID: <19970409.022110.4574.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:20:47 EDT >> Al is a tremendously huge TMBG fan, and EYKIW was written as a >tribute to >> Them. It was NEVER meant as a spoof, and there's not need to get >permission >> since it's a TRIBUTE... Have you even HEARD the song? >> >> -Adam, who's a little peeved... >> /----=========================================----\ How do you know all of this stuff? Where do you get your info? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334B30AA.55E5@ou.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 00:01:14 -0600 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: something frustrating. Attention everyone.. maybe this is just something that bothers me, but could everyone at least TRY to use some type of grammer in their messages? It took me at least 4 readings to decipher this.. bob_iii@juno.com wrote: > To sum up the comment my girlfreind made it looked like he was up all > night doing whatever woke up > remembered uhh man i have to do a show arrghh where is that building Into this: To sum up the comment my girlfriend made, "It looked like he was up all night doing whatever, (then) woke up(, and) remembered," uhh.. man. I have to do a show. arrghh.. Where is that building?"' Don't kill my grammer all you english majors.. but something to this effect (affect?) would be nice.. anyone agree? Maybe I'm just tired... Heather ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Message-ID: <19970409.022110.4574.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:20:47 EDT >That van-testing article that was printed in a newsletter a few years >ago >said that the only drug They abuse is coffee! I tend to buy into that >image of Them, but who knows! I feel like Spiralling Shape might be >about >drugs too! > >-Sean Mootrey > > I don't think anyone's mentioned this (if they did, it was before I was a list-member), but Spiraling Shape is in the soundtrack for the Kids In The Hall movie called "Brain Candy". In case any of you don't know, the whole movie is about drugs. A new miracle drug that is supposed to be the best anti-depressant ever, but goes haywire and puts people in comas. I won't give the whole thing away, but it is a hilarious movie, especially for Kids In The Hall fans. Do we have any here? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs Message-ID: <19970409.022110.4574.3.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:20:47 EDT >I heard John L. say in a radio interview the "The Statue Got Me High" >is >not about "hard drugs" although he didn't say anything about "soft >drugs." >I think the lyrics of both "Nightgown" and "Spiralling Shape" are >discouraging the use of psychedelic drugs ("but everyone wants to see >that >groovy thing.") > Actually, I think that Their point of view for Spiraling Shape is that They're not taking sides at all. They are not expressing Their opinion, but looking from the outside and telling the story without rights or wrongs (hence, the lyrics). -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Kenyon/High Voices/Purdue Message-ID: <19970409.022110.4574.4.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:20:47 EDT On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 03:56:02 -0400 (EDT) Amy Greenlese writes: >Evan Kleve wondered: >> Is anyone going to the concert at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio >> on April 26? If so, how do I get tickets? Is there a number I can >call? >Well, the show is for Kenyon students only, so I'm assuming that to >get >tickets you need a Kenyon id card or at least a student to buy them >for >you. I tried to find someone to do this for me, but I didn't have any >luck. If you do get tickets, please let me know how so I can, too :) > Are you absolutely sure about that beyond a shadow of a doubt? I went to the concert at Eastern Michigan University in February and anyone could buy tickets. I just called the college and they connected me to the school box office, and I ordered them right away with no problem (with my mother's credit card of course!!!). -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 03:30:19 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg:trenton Message-ID: >I may be missing a song or two from the set list but I know that John >(with the 2/7 IP setlist) will most likely correct me on that. The only mistake i can find on that list is that they only played spy once. :) Oh, and my name is Mike, not John. -Mike ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970409213230.007755e0@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:36:30 +1000 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: TTEY in Aus >i've found a copy of T:TEY in one Adelaide CD store (Big Star at >Ridgehaven) for $60. no other store here that i've seen has it yet, >though. I got mine from Penrith Plaza records, weeks ago. I got it for 55 and had no probs. I let them know it was coming out, and as soon as it came out in america, it was on a plane to Australia. I do that with heaps off stuff that I can;t wait for to come out locally. Besides, I heard a rumour it wasn;t being released locally for some reason. BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & Ironside & & "...the 17th best band in the world" & & http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:00:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704091300.JAA29636@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: EKYIW At 02:20 AM 4/9/97 EDT, you wrote: > > How do you know all of this stuff? Where do you get your info? Straight from "Weird Al" himself. :> A lot of it's from on-line chats, and the rest is from Usenet posts of people that have chatted with Al... TTYL, -Adam /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Date: 9 Apr 1997 12:57:45 GMT From: "Royce M Lee" Message-ID: <01bc4425$f43935c0$LocalHost@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos > picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? Do you > know the Muffin Man!? > Flans smoked pot (twice that I am personally aware of). I don't. I don't think any less of him 'cause he does. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@b022.aone.net.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:36:50 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Ska i will now bring forth my superior ska knowledge to answer all of your ska questions and put an end to all your doubts... 1. reggae is a derivative of the original ska, this ska is different from modern ska (i.e. first, second, third wave) and is a traditional Jamaican musical style, the only band that i know of that still plays traditional ska is the Skatallites... 2. No Doubt is not ska, someone mentioned that they use horns therefore they are ska, that's like saying a bicycle has wheels therefore it is a car 3. the Bosstones are ska, many ska fans dislike the Bosstones because they are too mainstream but there are many other ska bands which play in the same style as the Bosstones, i dislike that entire genre of hard, guitar based ska (i.e. Thumper, etc.) 4. Dr. Kildare is a ska song, i wouldn't say that it is a great example of modern ska but it has a ska beat and is definitely a ska song... 5. in my opinion some of the best ska bands around are the Allstonians, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Bim Skala Bim, the Scoflaws, the Toasters... 6. everything Nathan Smith said about ska is basically correct... Trippy ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:44:14 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Viva Variety At 4:02 AM -0500 4/9/97, bob_iii@juno.com wrote: >Linnell looked dead. He has rings around his eyes. He did not >appear to be well. Maybe he was sick; I think he may have had a >challenge with another immortal after or before the show. Maybe >Johnny Blue Jeans. That would be cool > >To sum up the comment my girlfreind made it looked like he was up all >night doing whatever woke up >remembered uhh man i have to do a show arrghh where is that building he looked fine to me, about the same as every other time i've seen him in concert or on tv... of course this is coming from a person who has permanent rings around his eyes... Trippy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091434.JAA25066@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:30:00 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Ska the bosstones are not truly ska. they have created a new genre called SKA-CORE. The bosstones don't pretend to be ska, but MTV pretends that they are. either way, who cares? good music is good music. tmbg are good music geoff At 08:36 AM 4/9/97 -0500, you wrote: >3. the Bosstones are ska, many ska fans dislike the Bosstones because they >are too mainstream but there are many other ska bands which play in the >same style as the Bosstones, i dislike that entire genre of hard, guitar >based ska (i.e. Thumper, etc.) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:38:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199704091438.KAA12702@hubcap.clemson.edu> From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: viva.wav Has anyone been able to get a copy of the viva.wav from Goatboy's page? I think the w3.one.net server is screwed up...it keeps cutting off in the middle of every download... :P Can someone upload it to ftp.tmbg.org or something? (BTW, thanks for making this WAV available for those of us who were too dumb to tape it. :P) Thanks, -Adam /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:42:13 -0500 Message-ID: <19970409144212263.AAA291@ppp181.baraboo.com> >> picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? >Do you >> know the Muffin Man!? >> >Flans smoked pot (twice that I am personally aware of). I don't. I don't >think any less of him 'cause he does. Um... where did you find this out? i never knew anything about this. I thought the only things they used were nicotine, alcohol, and of course, caffine.. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091442.JAA20744@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:37:11 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: Spiraling Shape According to the TMBG Newsletter (Bible): "TMBG wishes to make the case that not all our songs have a strict interpretation, but Spiraling Shape is generally about the fervent embrace and then abandonment of a cultural "bubble." It it might be "smart" drugs, it might be virtual whatever, or it could simply be spin art..." ...Or it might just be They Might Be Giants. Of course, interpretation should be on an individual basis (which is why i hate lit classes...) Am I the only one who gets the newsletter? geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091523.KAA26796@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 10:18:12 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg question what is this viva thing that ewveryone is talking about? geoff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970409153904.00685344@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 08:39:04 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: The 3rd or 4th Annual Statue Got Me High Message Figures I'd write in about this when it's already a dead thread, but oh well. My very first post to this list way back when was about the Statue Got Me High. Nobody listened to me back then. I posted about it again when it came up the next time. It was late, nobody heard me. Now I'll do it again. Hehe, this is sort of becoming an unnoticed annual tradition of mine :-) While listening to a concert being broadcast over the radio, I heard an intro for the next band about to come on: They Might Be Giants. The radio intro included quotes from Them from interviews and what-have-you. And one of them (and I quote from memory) was this: "The Statue Got Me High is not about drugs or anything like that. It's literally about a guy who looks at a statue, and his head blows up." So that's always been my (and apparently only my) interpretation as well. No Don Juans, 2001's, or art. A guy sees a statue and his head blows up. It's so They! And tune in again next year, when this message will repeat ;-) ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:47:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409114322_-1100937490@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: New York City by the Cubs >>cub (as far as i know) have 3 Lps, and they are, in chronolgical order: Betti-cola Come out Come out (new york city is on this one) and Box of hair<< Don't forget Mauler! It was released fairly recently and is billed as "a collection of oddities." I love it, but it's probably more of a confirmed cub fan CD. The liner notes are great, especially the part where cub are compared to the Three Tenors. ("3T have flunkies pick up girls for them. cub: Who needs flunkies? 3T stay in fancy hotels you'll never stay in. cub stay at your place.") I am really glad that Flansburgh has seemingly seen the light on the issue of King Kong and the Empire State. I was getting tired of screaming 'King Kong' at him. Maybe Lisa, Lisa, and Robynn finally persuaded him? Supposedly he substituted 'Dylan' because he couldn't understand the original lyrics (though I find that rather hard to believe). >>cub is signed with mint records in vancouver.. http://mintrecs.com/ There's a great little CD out for people who would like a fairly cheap introduction to cub and Mint Records... Team Mint: A Collection of Mint Records' Finest Teen Anthems. It's $5 - $6 and contains 5 cub songs, including NYC, as well as the fine songs of other Mint bands, like Duotang, gob, Maow, The Smugglers, Huevos Rancheros,... If you can't find it in your hometown, you can order it from Mint or from CDNow. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Jeff Eberlin" Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety a bit weak? / Dream! DREAM! Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:05:02 -0700 Hi again, Well, after watching TMBG on Viva Variety I must say I was a little disappointed. Now don't get me wrong, it was amazing to see them live on TV, however Linnell especially seemed either nervous or just not excited. I was also disappointed that they seemed to focus more on Graham Maby than either John. Flansburgh got especially left out I thought. Someone must have not explained to the cameramen which guys were the important ones... Oh well, it was still need to see them. Ok, after reading about all the other dreams, I had a dream which had Them in a small portion of it. The part I remember was that I was driving a car, my mom was in the front and both Johns were in the back. My mom told me that Linnell was my real father and that she wanted me to spend at least the next two days talking to him and getting to know him. In the dream I remember thinking, "Oh ok, if he's my father.", however this morning I thought "If that really happened (in terms of the time) I would be all over that!" When I got out of the car, Linnell did too and he seemed very nice and friendly... shook my hand and everything.... Flansburgh didn't really play almost any part. He just kinda sat there with a non excited, non happy look on his face. Jeff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hammer Down... Rabbit Ears... <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:39:39 -0500 (EST) From: Ann Priestman Subject: Re: TMBG: VV (For those who missed it) Message-id: Viva Variety is going to be on again this Saturday at 8:00 PM for people who missed it the first time or forgot to make a tape. -Ann ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 10:23:25 PDT | > picks that up? What are TMBGs feelings toward drugs? Does anyone know? | Do you | > know the Muffin Man!? | > | Flans smoked pot (twice that I am personally aware of). I don't. I don't | think any less of him 'cause he does. | And he has the ability to tell low quality pot from the second hand smoke alone, and makes fun of people smoking low quality pot when they live in a part of the country where they could get much better stuff in their own backyard. He didn't seem surprised when the waft of smoke made it's way up to the stage at Their recent show in Seattle. Well, except for how early in the show it was. Is this common at Their shows? They just don't seem like that sort of a band to me. Michelle "May your beer be tasty and your food spicy" --dm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091836.LAA23199@f3.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 11:36:43 PDT >> I just got done watching TMBG on viva variety. They kicked ass (should >> we have expected anything else?). One thing I noticed was that the >> editors of the show apperently were not aware that everyone's favorite >> giants are John and John. They had plenty of shots of John L, but >> Flanny got the short end of the stick. Anyone else notice this? I damn sure did. And was it me or did he look grouchy? >Yeah, he was over to the side, but I loved it when he pulled all his >strings off! That was so f%^&ing cool!!! Wow!!! I was jumping up and down. >I had never seen such a close up of them. I was on the edge of my >seat...It was great!!! Me too!!! > >And I loved it at the end of the show when Linnel was right behind that >actor and he looked like I felt... "ok, when IS this guy going to be >funny, and How long do I have to stand here." I know. It's sad...I loved the State, but Viva Variety needs a lot of work. It's based on one sketch. It's spread a bit too thin. But great bands. At least no one from TMBG humiliated themselves by trying to act. (I'm not saying they can't, but they have before.) tres dignified. > >Did anyone know ahead of time what they would play? I think they made a >good choice. I (of course) taped it, and will watch it over and over. I had no clue. I was kinda hoping it would be "TMHFO" but bet on it being SEXXY. * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334C050B.7D21@mail.lcu.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 14:07:23 -0700 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: TMBG: Earlier Years: How to Handle it bob_iii@juno.com wrote: > now i can't fight the urge to switch tracks but it lost some of the great > i dunno > something but the stuff i have on cd i feel fine about flipping between > songs > the other tape i have is micolanous T "mispelled" and i am afraid to > buy the ealier years thinking that i can't listen to it My solution was to prepare myself for the "Earlier Years" by not listening to the old stuff for a while(granted, I did skip straight to the new stuff the first time). Then I looked at it like a sort of history review,listening to the familiar things while reading the booklet that tells (briefly)how it all came together. When its over you've done the "TMBG Cliff's Notes" review:) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091916.MAA08141@f9.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Viva/dreams/drugs/etc. Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:16:11 PDT Ok, to try to say it all in one post... Viva- I loved the State. VV needs a little work. Funny premise, but something's missing. Linnell looked OK to me; Flans looked unexcited (what little we saw of him); they focused on Graham too much; Dan Hickey's hair is cool( he's cute too...); Flans ripping the strings off his guitar was bitchin' cool; all in all TMBG were the highlight of the show. (Pity that the Johhny BlueJeans character sucks so much- Michael Black is soooooo cute. It's like drool/repulsion/confusion/ drool again.) Drugs- Haven't I seen this thread before? i doubt very seroiusly that They and drugs are even related. ( I did have a pothead friend who olny liked to listen to They when she was high. Kinda sad.) My pissy post- I apologize for being so rude. We should not slag so hard on Mark- he was in a bad mood yesterday and is prolly sorry for offending anyone. We need to remember that this is supposed to be a kind, loving, nurturing list. Dreams- This is weird. Last night i dreamed that Linnell was on Tom Snyder to promote a film he'd made. The Clip ran for a long time. Linny played a guy on the run from the mob. Janeane Garofaolo was in it too as his girlfriend. He was brilliant in it. Tom kept pissing him off. TOM-"John, why are you deciding just now to make films?" JOHN-" Well, I thought it would-" TOM-"I mean, what about the Seventeen Magazine interview in 1989 where you siad you weren't an actor? Whayt made you change your mind?" JOHN-" Well, it was time to try new things out." TOM-(laughs) "Thus the divorce.(JOHN just looks atTOM sheepishly.) How's that going?" JOHN (pauses to collect his thoughts) "I'm afraid that's none of your business, Mr. Snyder." (Walks off.) Then he did Late Night and discussed the incident with Conan. CONAN-"What divorce?" JOHN-"It's nothing. It was a bad joke." Enjoy. Anastasia Another annoying message from Saint Ana the Suave Prod. (Anastasia Eve Hunt- I swear it's My real Name!!!) ###################################################### Who can snap my fingers? Nobody can. Nobody can. Where's my cat's pajamas? In the can, the big trash can. Swing is a word 6 Ft. down. 387-6962. Narrrrrrrrr. Visit the MouseHouse! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900 * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704091919.MAA09457@f9.hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:19:17 PDT >| > >| Flans smoked pot (twice that I am personally aware of). I don't. I don't >| think any less of him 'cause he does. No F%^&in' way! *gasp* I had no idea. Not that i'm one to judge. Not that I think any less of him either. Well now I know what to get him for his b-day.;) >| >And he has the ability to tell low quality pot from the second hand smoke >alone, and makes fun of people smoking low quality pot when they live in a >part of the country where they could get much better stuff in their own >backyard. > >He didn't seem surprised when the waft of smoke made it's way up to the >stage at Their recent show in Seattle. Well, except for how early in the >show it was. Is this common at Their shows? They just don't seem like >that sort of a band to me. > >Michelle > >"May your beer be tasty and your food spicy" --dm > * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970409152451.006a8bb4@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:24:51 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Cub / Ska / Soap / High / M2 / misc / Weep Day / Moderation / easy index for your conveinience! cub Hey, which cub CD would be best to get... 'cause I'd like to have one, and hear what they really sound like (as opposed to "hi, we're the opening band... I really hope you fix these sound problems before They come out..." ... if you know what I mean...) ska Can someone recommend a good Ska compilation CD? Thanks... [whoops, after reading more of the list, I found one... more?] soap Hey, anyone else think parts of the list are starting to sound like a soap opera? What with all this name-calling/apologising/etc high >>>Well... surely you can't deny the reference to "getting high."<<< well... "the statue GOT ME high" it's like he didn't GET HIMSELF high.... m2 has anyone seen a They video on M2 Sample Hour? I watch about half of it every day. I've seen the new BF5 video 4 or 5 times (not a bad thing) but I haven't seen the latest TMBG video (d'oh!), well... I haven't seen any TMBG video on that. misc ***Filter added: onRecieve("from"="The Gottschalks ") Transfer="Trash" no offense, man, but I really don't care for your opinions... DISCLAIMER: The preceding was in no way meant to be offending. The content was purely for the purpose of sarcastic humor. Also, the programming language it is written in does not exist, and when compiled, the program will NOT create a virus that turns your monitor RED and writes SATAN VIRUS INITIALIZED: HAVE A NICE DAY on the screen. weep day good interp... moderation I would be VERY willing to go to a moderated list, even if it meant digest-only (which it would...) I've been on the list version for some time now, and I think with the list version, it causes people to respond more (myself included), which causes more volume, and more unrelated things. If it were moderated, digest only, there would be a lot less stuff to moderate... viva variety To whoever said something like "don't they know everyone's fav giants are J&J?"....... Do you think They would say "Hey, you should get more shots of John and I, because we're more imortant that the rest of the band members"... No. They did shots of JL and Graham, cause they were singing... Also, to clarify (non-) did the woman host of the show mention "Burple" before the axe-throwing guy? Am I just nuts? jl (not Linnell, Lennon :) Whoever made the comparesin between Nightgown and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds... Wow! Cool! In the notes.... they were dissapointed to find it was the title of a book... because that wrecked their little culture reference joke? you decide... fin after reading the list messages today.... AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'd sugest you all do the same, and then stop posting things that are stupid in nature, or incredibly unrelated (lets keep everything within 6 degrees of seperation... hehehe...) -ec, incredibly sorry for the long message i hope i don't find another thing to post about after this message is sent. should it take me more than two hours a day to read the list? ------------------------------ From: bob_iii@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 13:36:28 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: something frustrating. Message-ID: <19970409.152952.12662.0.bob_iii@juno.com> Sorry, i use a lack of grammer skills to because i ain't gonna let no man tell me what way to talk no more Attention everyone.. maybe this is just something that bothers me, but could everyone at least TRY to use some type of grammer in their messages? It took me at least 4 readings to decipher this.. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970409153045.006b60b0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:30:45 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: Steve Vallone, please email me Could Steve Vallone please email me, I lost your email address. -ec ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334BECC9.315@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:23:53 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Hooray! I'm getting T: TEY for $21 of Thursday! I called up and they (ppl at Cellophane Square in B'ham) said they had a copy for $20.99 on sale, and I asked if they'd hold it, and they said YES! Yay! I called somewhere else that had it for like $27... I asked them if it had a song called "Ana Ng" on it, and one guy in the background began to sing it... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <334BF710.67D0@mail.sdsu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 13:07:44 -0700 From: Jordan Maynard Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub / Ska Evan Chakroff wrote: > cub > Hey, which cub CD would be best to get... 'cause I'd like to have one, and > hear what they really sound like (as opposed to "hi, we're the opening > band... I really hope you fix these sound problems before They come out..." > ... if you know what I mean...) yeah. The best thing for you to pick up would be the Mint Records sampler, "Team Mint: A Collection of Mint Records' Finest Teen Anthems" if you can find it (try tower records in the compilation section maybe). It has five cub songs on it (including NYC), ranging over three of their CDs, and some pretty good other stuff (one Mr. T Experience song) if you can't find that, i'd recommend, well, both "Come out Come out" and "Box of Hair".. the band changed alot (musically) between these two albums, its kinda like the difference between lincoln and JH. > ska > Can someone recommend a good Ska compilation CD? Thanks... Um, it's not a compilation.. and... its not true hard-core/two-tone ska, but regardless I highly reccommend Dance Hall Crashers album "lockjaw". Way way way better then No Doubt (personal opinion, plus i'm am biased 'coz DHC are a local band) jdm ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 16:28 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs and Videos >I was under the impression that "The Statue Got Me High" was based on >the >legend of Don Juan AKA Don Quixote... Er, that'd be Don Giovanni, not Quixote. Don Quixote was the guy who thought the windmills *might* be giants. ;) Kirsten ("one of those "don" guys anyway...") -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704092030.PAA79268@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:25:07 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: TMBG: tmbg: cub okay, i have a question for the big CUB fans...about the new record "mauler." it says that it is a collection of oddities, but from what i could tell, they were all album tracks...is this because cub cds are impossible to find/out of print? is it a greatest hits comp? geoff --listing to my promo copy of "grosse pointe blank..." * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 16:42:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409164011_-33342219@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Concert Ok, My first TMBG show that i will be going to will be on the 29th of april at chicago. For any of you that go to the shows, can you please tell me what to expect. Does it get rough, just need some info Thanks, Sir Donkey of Plop ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:58:09 -0500 (CDT) From: The Gottschalks Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs Message-ID: I always thought that Spiraling Shape was mostly about tv advertisement. The spiraling shape is the trance they put us in to make us want "that groovy thing." And then, we find that "that groovy thing" (whatever is being advertised) is not so great once we have it, and we're "back to report that the spiraling shape was a fraud and a fake." Does that sound stupid? -Mark ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 16:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: The 3rd or 4th Annual Statue Got Me High Message > "The Statue Got Me High is not about drugs or anything like that. It's >literally about a guy who looks at a statue, and his head blows up." > > So that's always been my (and apparently only my) interpretation as >well. No Don Juans, 2001's, or art. A guy sees a statue and his head blows >up. It's so They! Er, sorry to extrapolate on this simple explanation, but given this quote, I can see how it could be about art. If his head was blowing up in the figurative sense. Like, today I saw Chagall's "Artist and Model" for the first time, and it blew my head up. :) I love that painting. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:00:20 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <334C0364.42C@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Pictures from Boston Hey all... I just got my pix from the Boston show(s)...upon picking them up, I ran to the computer lab and scanned as many as I could in the ten minutes before I would be kicked off (because someone had reserved it) and so the fruits of my labor are posted for public viewing at: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633/cowtown.html and, yes, that's case sensitive... unfortunately I didn't have time to get any of the good Flans pix scanned (there was only really one) so I guess I pulled a 'Viva' but there is a great one of Dan Hickey with the Glockenspiel Go check 'em out! later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:UMASS.Pixies ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633 ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:16:37 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-98 Message-ID: <267AC4818DA@elan.rowan.edu> On 9 Apr 97 at 2:06, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 02:06:00 -0400 > From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Reply-to: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-98 > The only No Doubt ska song I've heard is Spiderwebs, cause of the horns in > the beginnig Ah, my friend. Horns do not a ska band make! They use horns all over the place, but are they ska? Hardly. Okay, for all those asking what is ska, here is a pretty decent TMBG related example- Mono Puff's Unsupervised has a track that is VERY ska influenced, although the name escapes me... Dr. Kilgore, perhaps? I think that's it. Anyway, that very distinctive rythmic guitar with the horns play support is very "ska-ish". Hope this helps! -Jerry "After silence, that which best expressed the inexpressible is music." -A. Huxley- ------------------------------ From: "Jerry Pinner" Organization: Rowan University Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:30:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Little late w/ the info..... Message-ID: <267E6B0515C@elan.rowan.edu> Okay all, last post on the topic. You've all read Nathan's post. Listen to the man. He's dead on. And some one else already mentioned the Mono Puff comparison, so my apologies there as well...... enough about that! Saw Them in trenton last night. It was a pretty short set (just barely over an hour playing time), and they were hornless, but except for the problems Flans was having with the amp at points, it was another great show. I brought my roomie along, who is a die hard punker, and we have a convert! He loved the fact that it didn't matter about what you looked like, and if you were a punk, or a prep, or an alterna-teen, or white, or black, or Asain or anything. EVERYONE just was cool to everyone because it was all about Their music. (Unlike the punk shows where there is a lot of dressing up, pretending to be something you're not, and a definate "pecking order" as he put it.) Leave it to Them to spread love and joy through out the world! :-) -Jerry -If worst comes to worst, we're all screwed. ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Jeff Eberlin" Subject: TMBG: Become A Robot Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:35:27 -0700 Does anyone know where the inspiration for "Become A Robot" came from? I can see the references to current technology in there, personally... but what's the number 8 have to do with anything? Clang Clang Whoops Too Late! Jeff * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It's samba time for Tambo and weep day for Urine Man <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Jeff Eberlin - Jeff@TeleMagic.com (Want Haiku of the day? TeleMagic, Inc - R&D - Programming Let me know!) Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199704092144.RAA09069@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 9 Apr 1997 16:43:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: viva.wav CT>Has anyone been able to get a copy of the viva.wav from Goatboy's page? CT>I think the w3.one.net server is screwed up...it keeps cutting off in the CT>middle of every download... :P CT>Can someone upload it to ftp.tmbg.org or something? CT>(BTW, thanks for making this WAV available for those of us who were too dumb CT>to tape it. :P) CT>Thanks, CT>-Adam I've tried to download it 2-3 times last nite. It kept cutting me off, too. I'll give it a shot later tonite. Maybe it was just because so many of us were trying to get it.... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:48:57 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing Message-id: Hi TMBGer's! This message doesn't contain much TMBG content, but I know that there are some Ben Folds Five fans and Soul Coughing fans out there (myself included!), so I wanted to let you know: I just found out that both of these cool bands are tentatively slated for the HORDE tour this summer! Neato! The only other band (besides these two) that I know of that will be on the tour is Big Head Todd and the Monsters (I think). Anyway, I just wanted to pass on the news! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: I'M GOING INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970409.171646.4318.4.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:16:19 EDT EVERYONE PPLLEEAASSEE STOP USING ACRONYMS, IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:14:41 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs Message-Id: I always thought that Spiraling Shape was about something in life, maybe life itself, that someone tries and it ends up screwing them over for life, maybe making them go insane or something... MHO,only. Tarnished Silence 210 /-------------------------------------------------------------\ | "No one in the world ever gets what they want, | | And that is beautiful. | | Everyone dies frustrated and sad, | | And that is beautiful. | | They want what they're not and I wish they would stop." | | - They Might Be Giants | | | | *************** TARNISHED SILENCE *********************** | | prallena@martin.luther.edu paul.luther.edu/~prallena | | ********************************************************* | | Beyond your wildest senses, there remains one............ | \-------------------------------------------------------------/ On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, The Gottschalks wrote: > I always thought that Spiraling Shape was mostly about tv advertisement. > The spiraling shape is the trance they put us in to make us want "that > groovy thing." And then, we find that "that groovy thing" (whatever is being > advertised) is not so great once we have it, and we're "back to report > that the spiraling shape was a fraud and a fake." > Does that sound stupid? > -Mark > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: <19970409.171646.4318.3.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:16:19 EDT On Tue, 08 Apr 1997 19:16:58 -0500 "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." writes: >OK, don't dismiss this idea like I did the first time I read it. A >while back >there was a thread on if this list should be moderated or not. Not >like Leo >needs more work or anything, but this list really should be moderated. >If you >think about all the poopy posts that have been made recently, (Non >mentioning >any person in particular who's name is Mark) and the obvious >deteriation that >has occured in this list, it really makes sense. The days of Tray and >Flesh >Fest and John is dead are over. Now, half the messages are about Shock >Rockers >and Ska-wannabers. I really hope you all consider that this list be >moderated, >it would be a much better thing to read. > Although you have a point, I disagree with it. We would be leaving it up to one person what gets posted and what doesn't, which would create tons of further disagreements. This would be violating a certain type of freedom we have on the list (which doesn't mean we should abuse it). -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704092217.RAA18736@dfw-ix3.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:16:26 -0700 Also another cool group TMBGers might like that will be playing HORDE is San Diego's own Rugburns... (better known more recently for their leader's collaboration with Jewel on her debut album, including co-writing "You were meant for me") if you haven't heard the Rugburns I urge you to pick up their debut album from 1994 "Morning wood"... it is excellent! and their other stuff since then isn't bad either! ---------- > From: CORT > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing > Date: Wednesday, April 09, 1997 2:48 PM > > Hi TMBGer's! This message doesn't contain much TMBG content, but I know > that there are some Ben Folds Five fans and Soul Coughing fans out there > (myself included!), so I wanted to let you know: > I just found out that both of these cool bands are tentatively slated for > the HORDE tour this summer! Neato! The only other band (besides these > two) that I know of that will be on the tour is Big Head Todd and the > Monsters (I think). Anyway, I just wanted to pass on the news! > Have a They day! > sun and smiles > cortney > > http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva and stuff Message-ID: <19970409.171646.4318.5.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:16:19 EDT >you shouldn't knock Floodies so hard...I've known a few floodies that >became super fans, after they realized what great stuff they were >listening to...personally, some of my fav songs are on flood...so >please >don't knock the album itself either > Flood, in my opinion, is absolutely brilliant. But I was not a Floody. I got started on Apollo 18 and I didn't know anything else. To me it was so incredibly great that the other albums couldn't possibly have been as good. I, of course, was wrong. All of Their albums send shivers down my spine, but in different ways. Lincoln and John Henry in particular have the most brilliant and thought provoking lyrics. My favorite lyrics from Lincoln are Where Your Eyes Don't Go. That song is so incredibly GENIOUS! Also the reference to the bridge in Ana Ang (don't want the world, just want your half). Others are "if it weren't for disapointment I wouldn't have any apointment" and "Money I owe, money I aye". Absolutely brilliant. The great lyrics from John Henry are Unrelated Thing and Thermostat. Wow, I can't even put it into words. Flood and Apollo 18 are most wonderful for their music value. That is what attracted me to Apollo 18 so much. I thought it was the best music I had heard from a modern group in so long. It was instant obsession. The pink album is interesting to see how They started out. This one is slow at first, but grows on you, much like Flood did for me. This is the main reason it is so hard to get other people to like TMBG. And last but not least, Factory Showroom. This is just as orgasmically wonderful as the others, and is just plain fun. I love the guitar solos in How Can I Sing Like A Girl and New York City. The brass and string intro to S-E-X-X-Y is awsome, and so is the string quartet at the end. And of course Till My Head Falls Off, I don't even need to say how awsome that is! All of the albums of course have everything (great music and lyrics) but I was naming the very strong points of the albums. I, too, would like to thank you if you have gotten to this line. You rule! -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:17:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Certain People Message-ID: I've been listening to the RA of "Certain People I Could Name" on somebody's "unofficial TBMG songs" page, or something, and it's my new favourite song--I love it! Is there a mp3 of this song anywhere on the web? That guy who has the FS sessions tape, and said he was trying to make mp3s (sorry I forget everybody's name) Did it happen yet? -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 18:22:28 -0400 From: Whim Message-ID: <334C16A4.6968@mindless.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Interps and 'Scene' **Tarnished Silence** scribbled: > > I always thought that Spiraling Shape was about something in life, maybe > life itself, that someone tries and it ends up screwing them over for > life, maybe making them go insane or something... > exactly the way I interpret songs...especially TMBG...maybe I'm too relaxed > MHO,only. > exactly Congratulations on the convert!!! I can't believe I completely forgot about taking the potential fan to a concert in my Fan Creation Formula...silly me The scene at a Giants show is definitely a good one...the same kind of thing happens at a festival, or any show with a number of different kind of groups...because there's such a mix of people...kind of what Lollapalooza was for a couple of years, but even that's kind of lost it's diversity later-hosen Whim [ currently listening to:Swing is a Word.They Might Be Giants ] http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/MArina/2633 ------------------------------ From: RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:30:48 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Message-ID: <860625048.370732.RACH8425@duq3.cc.duq.edu> Hi everyone! This is my first letter! I just joined the mailing list! I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Spirling Shape from the new album. This is far fetched, but I always think of Tornado Chasers when I hear it! It's become one of my many favorite TMBG songs. If anyone has any thoughts on the song or would like to agree/disagree with me, please write! Kelly Rach ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:32:54 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: FS sessions Message-Id: I reely want this tape, but I lost the address of the person who is making copies. Could you please send me your address, and what I should send you? Liam ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Message-ID: <19970409.181752.4318.5.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 18:17:38 EDT Have any of you ever considered that John and/or John might belong to this mailing list, but just don't post because They don't want to be bombarded with mail? They could be reading everything you post, every criticism you have about Them! Just something to think about... -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Message-ID: <19970409.175656.4318.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:56:31 EDT >Am I the only one who gets the newsletter? > >geoff > I, too, get the Newsletter. I signed up in November or December, and have only gotten only one so far. John Linnell talks about his hrrible plane trip. Does anyone know how often there is supposed to be a new one? -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 16:14:19 -0700 (PDT) From: Katherine Barbra Jean Hayes Subject: TMBG: Statue and Don Juan Message-Id: I was at the SF show about three years ago when Linell said "This next song were told is aobut Don Juan, but we didnt know this when we wrote it" Interpet this and thier lyrics as you please ****************************************************************************** I could never sleep my way to the top, because my alarm clock always wakes me right up... ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety Message-ID: <19970409.181752.4318.4.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 18:17:37 EDT Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just doesn't seem to be a "people person"? I base this on a few things. One thing was they he treated that one girl who posted about wanting him to sign her set list. Fans seem to make him rather uneasy. In fact, people in general seem to make him uneasy. For those of you who get the newsletter, just read the introduction. Linnell wrote about how thrilled he was that he got a whole row of seats to himself on an airplane, and how pissed off he was when some bastard sat down next to him. He also mentioned that he has a neurotic sense of personal space, so is very uncomfortable with people he doesn't know touching him, talking to him, or even looking at him. Another thing is the way he was on Viva Variety. He looked extremely uncomfortable, like singing on national television was the last thing he would even think of wanting to do at that moment. Also, at the end of the show when all of the actors/guests were accepting aplause, Linnell had that "Get me the hell out of here before I explode" look on his face. He also seemed to be hiding behind the other actors so the camra wouldn't see him. Now on a slightly different subject about Viva Variety, I was very disapointed that John Flansburgh didn't sing. Why the hell was Graham singing?! He sang at the two concerts I went to also. Does he sing background vacals for Linnell on the album? I always just assumed it was Flans. That's what it said on the Unofficial TMBG Website. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:38:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409193731_1817331753@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: RE: TMBG FLOOD INSIDE PIC In a message dated 97-04-08 14:33:06 EDT, NitpickR@aol.com writes: << Flood Inside Picture- I heard the story where the guy on the cover of Flood came from, but I never heard the story of where the inside picture (look really hard) came from. Anywhere I should check? >> Well, I think we all know that the outside is from Life magazine (month and date is requsested as I have back issues on my computer). I believe that the inside was from that same issue of Life but referring to a diff. article Verification requested joel none other than YOEL97 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 22:51:47 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: RE: Thought for the day Did anyone notice that in everyone getting upset over someone saying "bitch", that it was quoted like 30 times? Ryan the .sigless wonder is a stupid something ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:55:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409195158_-702126635@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Drugs >I heard John L. say in a radio interview the "The Statue Got Me High" is >not about "hard drugs" although he didn't say anything about "soft drugs." I always thought that "The Statue Got Me High" had to do with worshiping idols Maniac http://www.geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:04:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Katherine Johnson Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety Message-ID: I dunno....Im upset that he didn't want to sign my setlist...but at the same time I idolize him to the point of just having him say no to me was enough :) Tho I think if I were John Linnell...or in his place..Id be like enjoying it. Id hug all my fans..well...the nice ones and give as many autographs as humanly possible. But to each his own....I love John Linnell for who he is...and not what I wish he was ;) Katie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:15:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Newsradio Message-ID: Hey/hay, Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on Newsradio, the boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it very common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? How do you like the new .sig? I decided the old one was too long. Okay! Yeah! "Whenever *I* find a bee in *my* bonnet....I take my hat off." Now was this not TMBG related? Jeez! I'm psycho! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ana-ng@poetic.com http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ah.....if only I had a Sony Walkman.....but Akira will do. -The Spork Princess ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 23:14:36 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: Mark Everyone will probably hate me now but.. The way i see it the guy made one stupid remark (he sould never of said it) and then got attacked by half the list. If that happened to me i would get defensive too....i think we should lay off of him and give him another chance, especially because the rest of his posts seem to be reasonable and intelligent. and please don't start flaming me, i have enough self-esteem problems as it is Ryan the .sigless wonder "You've finally given me the self-respect i deserve" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704100038.UAA12199@hobbes.dtcc.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Re: Viva Variety/Linnell & Graham Singing Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:54:33 -0400 > Now on a slightly different subject about Viva Variety, I was >very disapointed that John Flansburgh didn't sing. Why the hell was >Graham singing?! He sang at the two concerts I went to also. Does he >sing background vacals for Linnell on the album? I always just assumed it >was Flans. That's what it said on the Unofficial TMBG Website. I listened to the WAV of the perforance, but I missed it on the TV. To me, *both* voices sound like Linnell. It's not possible that Graham just lip-synched, is it?? The latest concert I went to, Graham did some backups, such as part of the three-part harmony in Twisting.... but also, the part he supposedly sang on Till My Head Falls Off was quite a bit lower than the part he sang on Twisting... hmmmmm.... Harlan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 21:17:44 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Misc. T.(opics) Message-ID: Okay...I know I've been rather silent lately..mostly due to my very busy schedule, but I thought I'd throw in my takes on the following: Then: Good CD....could do without the kids and Particle Man. Liner notes, while humourous in parts, are short. The ones in the Zevon box set were much better. I like Weep Day and Mainstream USA. Become a Robot is still one of my favorites. They should have put We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime and Stormy Pinkness on there, too. Viva Variety: The show itself, sucks. I won't watch it again. TMBG's performace was good...Graham does really well with the vocals. He adds a lot to the sound, unlike Mr. Schermerhorn. Linnell's performace was good...he did screw up the lyrics, tho. Did anyone else notice how nervous Linnell looked *after* they performed, and were gathered during the goodbyes? His eyes were darting around, looking for the quickest route offstage. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "What you're choking on is the truth, and that's the hardest thing to wash down with a glass of Lemonade."--A. Partridge ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199704100111.UAA48724@audumla.students.wisc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 20:06:23 -0500 From: Geoffrey McNulty Subject: Re: TMBG: Newsradio nah, it was an old saying...my grandmother uses it all the time, as does my great grandmother (who is 98 years old and has been since i can remember) At 08:15 PM 4/9/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hey/hay, >Our NBC friends have struck again. About one minute ago on Newsradio, the >boss whose name I don't know was talking about having a bee in his >bonnet!!!! I'd never heard this expression before Birdhouse.... Is it very >common? Or has our They-friend at NBC been writing again???? > >How do you like the new .sig? I decided the old one was too long. > >Okay! Yeah! "Whenever *I* find a bee in *my* bonnet....I take my hat off." >Now was this not TMBG related? Jeez! I'm psycho! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Geoffrey McNulty | "...there comes a time when Entertainment Writer | you want to roast marshmallows gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu | over your own fire." (608) 264-0123 | --Tori Amos * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My New Home Page!!! http://www.angelfire.com/wi/geomac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970409220654.006ab350@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:06:54 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Viva Variety/Linnell & Graham Singing >I listened to the WAV of the perforance, but I missed it on the TV. To me, >*both* voices sound like Linnell. It's not possible that Graham just >lip-synched, is it?? No... because Linnell's vocal quality was really bad compared to concerts I've been to, and the CD.... maybe it was the TV... Or maybe Linnell can sing two notes at once like that indian kid who was on Letterman or Leno one time... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:23:41 EST From: "Mr. Vanity Klaw" Message-ID: <009B28BD.242E5D60.107@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: Kenyon College show April 26 Hi everybody... I just subscribed to this list yesterday, and I was planning to lurk for a while before I posted, but I felt I had to respond to the question about the April 26 show at Kenyon College. I have good news... it's an all day concert held on a big open space in the middle of campus. There are no tickets required, and as far as I know, non-students are welcome (I have a feeling there will be many...) If anyone wants additional info, feel free to email me. -Tim Moyle moylet@kenyon.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:07:50 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva and stuff >Eyes Don't Go. That song is so incredibly GENIOUS! Also the reference to >the bridge in Ana Ang (don't want the world, just want your half). Hah. I just realized that this part of Ana Ng _is_ the bridge of the song, musically speaking. Neat. On Viva Variety - I generally dislike comedy that makes references to other TV shows. This show was no exception. It seems so, I don't know, un-universal. By way of contrast, so much of Their humor addresses the human condition in a more general (though twisted) way. [Caveat: it helps to have a good grasp of American colloquialisms and music culture to get some of the puns.] I s'pose I especially didn't get it since I never watched Happy Days. Ben Stiller was probably pretty uncomfortable, too, like others have commented about JL. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:54:41 -0500 From: elleng@massart.edu (ellen g.) Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, Viva Variety > Of the two, I like Linnell the best. He is my idol, I love his >music and his style. But has anyone noticed that he just doesn't seem to >be a "people person"? Actually, I experinced this interesting phenomenon last Saturday at the Boston concert, where I happened to be in the first row. Linnell actually made and held eye contact with those of us lucky enough to be there, while Flansburgh just sorta started out at the general audience. Other people I was with noticed it as well. It happened more during the "Then" set, at the beginning, when all he had was the mike and the accordion. >Linnell had >that "Get me the hell out of here before I explode" look on his face. That's sorta the look he gave us at the concert... -ellen g. April is the crulest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead earth, mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain. -T. S. Eliot ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG summary Message-ID: <19970409.215713.5142.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:57:51 EDT > >BTW, did you see my pix? >http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/2633/cowtown.html > >you should! > >later-hosen >Whim > I checked it out. They were great. About the previous topic, another thing I forgot to include was that Apollo 18 has a song with stupendous lyrics, and that's Turn Around. Great son, hilariously absurd. Surreal. -Evan R. Kleve (Kleavage) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:12:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Major Boredom Subject: TMBG: KU show Message-Id: All of the bands (TMBG, The Glitterkicks, Arthur Dodge and the Horsefeathers, Norman 360) and a band traveling with TMBG called Gravel Pit are officially confirmed for the KU show. Hope to see you all there. Ryan ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 23:12:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970409230904_739991233@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: cub >>"mauler." it says that it is a collection of oddities, but from what i could tell, they were all album tracks...<< Some are, some aren't. Many them are from 7"s and compilations, songs which haven't been on their albums. And then there's "Pillow Queen" which is a different version than the one which is on "Box of Hair." I would still only recommend it for people who really like cub, not new listeners. Team Mint rocks. Though I would recommend it for more than just cub and MTX. As I said earlier, it's cheap and it's great. (I love Duotang and gob and The Smugglers and and and... ) Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing Message-ID: <19970409.214456.5142.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:45:29 EDT On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:16:26 -0700 "Charles Box" writes: >Also another cool group TMBGers might like that will be playing HORDE >is >San Diego's own Rugburns... (better known more recently for their >leader's >collaboration with Jewel on her debut album, including co-writing "You >were >meant for me") if you haven't heard the Rugburns I urge you to pick up >their debut album from 1994 "Morning wood"... it is excellent! and >their >other stuff since then isn't bad either! >---------- I am a huge Rugburns fan. I have all three of their albums (Morning Wood, Mommy I'm Sorry, and Taking The World By Donkey). I went to their concert at the Grog Shop and it was GREAT! The bass player, John Castro, gave me a beer and I still have the bottle. They also have one of the greatest drummers around. His name is Jeff Aafedt, better known as "Stinky". Say no more. Did you see Steve Poltz on VH1 with Jewel? They sung a song together called "Silver Lining" which is supposed to appear on the new album coming out in September. Poltz is also coming out with a solo album. Keep your grapes peeled! -Evan "Satan's in the bagels and my toaster's masturbating, help me please". -Steve Poltz ------------------------------ From: Callagha@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 10 Apr 1997 13:15:24 +1000 Message-ID: <000CD5E4.MAI*/S=Callagha/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Friendly Postings... This is a little note to y'all, but in particular Mr Gottschalks. I really don't want to get into the matter of language used in here (although I think there are particular phrases used in here recently that, no matter if it was "understood" or not.), but what I'd like to see happening is **PLEASE** edit/delete the message you're replying to. It's almost painful to continually have to scroll through posts you've alredy read 10 times. Its a small thing, it doesn't really take all that long to do, and it makes it sooooooo much easier for us digesters to read through the day's mail Thanks for you help (please) Andrew "please please please please" Callaghan ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:26:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970410002336_1985239479@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs, etc OMLTs! Last 2 days to order, folks. Have your shirt order in by noon on Friday or else. Send mail to christy@tmbg.org, inlcude --number, SIZE of shirts --name, shipping address --e-mail address and await your confirmation (I have sent all but about 10 of the confirmations. Yay!) On Friday, I will finally get back in touch with the company and find out about final pricing, where to send those checks, who to make them out to, whether mediums are actually available, and all those other burning questions. I will also try to figure out the cost of postage this weekend so you can include that cost with your shirt price, because (call me selfish) I don't really feel like paying it all myself! "Shipping and handling charges" should only be a coupla extra bucks. I'd just like to take a few lines to defend poor Mr. Linnell from the "gee, he looks sick!" comments I keep seeing. Yes, his face is a bit skinny and he occasionally has rings under his eyes. But, c'mon folks, look at the rest of him. He's a pretty skinny guy. That's just the way he's built. (If he were female, he'd probably be a supermodel!) And if you were touring as hard as They have been for 6 months, you'd probably look a bit tired, too. I don't think we need to worry about Linnell being sick. If he were, he would surely be smart enough to stop touring for a while. >Gleemonex! Makes it feel like its 72 degrees in your head all the time! >(All apologies to KdsInThHal!) I always wondered why they made that degree number in farenheit if they're Canadian...ah well. Appealing to an American audience, I suppose. (Hey! Maybe that's the same reason British singers loose their accents when they sing!) --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Me" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: HORDE Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 22:04:39 PDT Whoever came up with this information I LOVE YOU!!!!! I came this close || to going to HORDE last year, but my friend who bought tickets didn't pay attention when I said "I can go to the Washington show, I CANNOT go to the Oregon show", so went out and bought tickets for the Oregon show. I think I'm destined to never see Dave Matthews Band in concert. I've come this close || to seeing him three times, but have had to work every time. Can one of you knowledgeable point me to a date list, so I can petition the bosses now for the appropriate vacation time, and make sure I'm the one to coordinate ticket purchases. YAY!!! Pile on the hangover.... Michelle ---------- | | Also another cool group TMBGers might like that will be playing HORDE is | San Diego's own Rugburns... (better known more recently for their leader's | collaboration with Jewel on her debut album, including co-writing "You were | meant for me") if you haven't heard the Rugburns I urge you to pick up | their debut album from 1994 "Morning wood"... it is excellent! and their | other stuff since then isn't bad either! | ---------- | > From: CORT | > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org | > Subject: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing | > Date: Wednesday, April 09, 1997 2:48 PM | > | > Hi TMBGer's! This message doesn't contain much TMBG content, but I know | > that there are some Ben Folds Five fans and Soul Coughing fans out there | > (myself included!), so I wanted to let you know: | > I just found out that both of these cool bands are tentatively slated for | > the HORDE tour this summer! Neato! The only other band (besides these | > two) that I know of that will be on the tour is Big Head Todd and the | > Monsters (I think). Anyway, I just wanted to pass on the news! | > Have a They day! | > sun and smiles | > cortney | > | > http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 | > | ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-99 *****************************