Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 10 Sunday, 13 September 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: sigh.... Re: TMBG: TMBG request TMBG: The Worm Crusade Continues Re: Non TMBG: 80's tv shows TMBG: Portland show TMBG: TMBG on Loveline TMBG: They Might Be Aphrodisiacs TMBG: tmbg.net updates/mp3 Re: TMBG: Pick up Lines Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Re: TMBG: OMLT Update NEW AND IMPROVED TOP TEN TOPIC TMBG: Still off-topic (re: TMBG) TMBG: They covering The Pet Shop Boys TMBG: Zoom Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Non-TMBG:Kid's shows Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Re: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline Re: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline RealAudio Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows TMBG: Dress Code Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows TMBG: TMBG fashion TMBG: Portland Show TMBG: ABSOLUTELY NOT TMBG - Re WYMN Radio Tour Re: TMBG: Dress Code Re: TMBG: Portland Show TMBG: update on 80's tv shows Re: TMBG: Dress Code TMBG: help! and TMBG @ Bumbershoot!!! TMBG: SLC show on the 15th TMBG: CD's Re: TMBG: Dress Code Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows TMBG: Re: TMBG Re: TMBG: Dress Code TMBG: The Person of the Century TMBG: PLANET OF THE APES Re: TMBG: The Person of the Century Re: TMBG: The Person of the Century Re: TMBG: PLANET OF THE APES TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Re: NON-TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Re: TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Re: TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 03:27:44 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: sigh.... Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > i know!!! do you think hot cha is gay?! i mean, why would anyone write > songs about "trees all waving their giant arms" if they weren't gay? Okay, this is a complete aside, but Jordan's post reminded me of something. I got two new albums to review (well, I got more, but two that I think everyone would be interested in) from the radio station today, and Jordan's statement above reminded me. (by the way, the two albums are the new Frank Black and the Catholics album, and the new King Missle album). On the King Missle album, there's a track called "Gay/Not Gay," which is highly amusing. Rude, sure, but funny. Anyone know when the street date for this album is/was? Oh, how I love 80's trivia... The Rev np: various artists--Permanent Midnight soundtrack (w/ GVSB, BT, Morcheeba, and MOBY!!!) |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 03:31:35 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG request Message-ID: > all in all, tmbg shouldn't run more than 20K for a show. when you > figure in an opening band, it may get close or a bit over that. > actually they are a great band to hire because they are relatively > cheap and have a strong college following. Wow. My school (Washington Univ. in St. Louis) got Them to play a few years ago (well, like four years) for about $8,000 or so. Further proof that John and John realize that people actually like them. They are "relatively cheap"? I guess for bands that everyone has heard of (well, almost everyone) that's cheap...sorry to turn this into a pissing contest, but the radio station I work for got nine bands (including Sweep the Leg Johnny, who rock entirely too much for some people's good...) for about $5,000. I guess my school just doesn't pump the money that Valparaiso does into concerts...ah well. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35F66823.F94DD015@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 03:36:08 -0800 From: BONGO Subject: TMBG: The Worm Crusade Continues I'm still calling my two local (L.A.) alternative radio stations twice a day requesting Dr. Worm. As far as I know neither has played it. When I asked Y107's DJ if they ever play Dr. Worm he said "not too often". ( but I doubt he ever heard of it.) If you live in So Cal this might be a good time to request it on KROQ since they are sponsoring Friday's show at the House of Blues. Once the high and mighty KROQ plays Dr. Worm there will be an astonishing domino effect throughout the USA. When I call I don't beg or try to reason with them. I just make sure they hear the words "Dr. Worm" and "They Might Be Giants" then I get the hell out of there. (Or at least I try... Y107's DJ's are very friendly and like to know all about what kind of day you had.) Is anyone else in SoCal calling or is just me? -B O N G O _________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:30:00 EDT Subject: Re: Non TMBG: 80's tv shows In a message dated 9/8/98 11:11:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > my question... does anyone remember the intro song to the facts of life? > i've been trying to think of it all day and i'm blanking... "You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have, the facts of life, the facts of life" There's another verse, but that's the one that's been permanently burned into my brain. -- Arwen, Class of '86 ::wince:: PS I know it''s from and old thread, but I used to love Danger Mouse when I was in High School! As for my childhood, anyone out there remember a kids show called "Zoom"? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002401bddbf8$617a0180$659ba3ce@kevin> From: "Bridget" Subject: TMBG: Portland show Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 06:47:25 -0700 hey all, sorry to interrupt a steady stream of 80's pop culture emails, but I was wondering if ANYONE taped the show in Portland last night (or had a setlist, or anything like that). Once again, didn't see any listies, but i was in the front row. *sickeningly wide grin* so amazingly wonderfully good...mmmm.... in any case, if anyone taped the show either last night or sunday in seattle, pleeeeeeease email me....i got nothing to trade, but i'll sell you my soul, my body, my mind....please! yeah. this would be GREATLY appreciated, really. thankyasir. *celestia* icq 2814304 tooms@proaxis.com, celestia@tmbg.org http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ "she's the one who gives me fire I see a side you'll never know" supergrass ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9809091410.AA10549@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:10:46 -0400 (EDT) My gf and I were listening to Loveline last night and Adam Corolla said that TMBG were going to be on the show (radio version) this week. So it's either tonight or tomorrow night, he didn't say which. Get your tape recorders ready! Oh, by the way, being in the Baltimore-DC area we have a taped Loveline (I assume from the night before) so I may be a day behind on when they're playing. You can hear it on 99.1 WHFS in this area, I have no idea what stations run Loveline in other markets. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:43:44 -0400 Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Aphrodisiacs Message-ID: <19980909.110018.-76733.0.jonhuot@juno.com> From: jonhuot@juno.com (Jonathan P Huot) Sorry about the lateness, and off topicness of this reply, but I've been really really busy what with the start of a new school semseter and what not. I guess I should get to the point. Last September, I was really beginning my TMBG fan craze. I orded $50 worth of T-Shirt from TMBProductions and would wear them all the time. Well, I was wearing the NASCAR one (I haven't seen anyone else with this one yet) when this insainly beautiful woman walks up to me, and compliments me, on it. (You see where this is going.) I later find out that she was very shy and hardly initialized conversations with anyone. We became good friends, and as luck would have it, went to a TMBG show in late October of that year for our first date. Since then we have gone to 3 TMBG shows together and we are still going strong. Oh yea, I find that while some TMBG songs are good for mood setting, Mono Puff's IFTS works a lot better, but maybe that's just the combination of that and my lime green shag carpet. Jon "big hands on 120, little hands on E" Huot _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:57:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: tmbg.net updates/mp3 Message-ID: I want to thank everybody again for their submissions and if you don't see what you submitted up yet, it will be coming...lots to do with school and work and web etc... I just put up another 5 mp3s from the Bumbershoot Show adding to the Mammal one I had up. Now I have up Mammal, Racist Friend, Whistling in the Dark, Famous Polka, Subliminal, and Window...same place as always, irc page...special offer -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:34:39 -0700 Message-ID: <0003CAEB.C21427@broder.com> From: Courtney_Patubo@broder.com (Courtney Patubo) Subject: Re: TMBG: Pick up Lines Did anyone overlook some of the obvious? Good morning, how are you, I'm Dr. Worm... (hmm, morning *ahem* wood?) Wanna Dig My Grave, baby? Courtney "I have no sig file because my stupid work e-mail program doesn't support it" Patubo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35F6B719.50E5CA02@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 12:12:57 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Zoom ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > PS I know it''s from and old thread, but I used to love Danger Mouse when I > was in High School! As for my childhood, anyone out there remember a kids show > called "Zoom"? Showing the age there, aren't we? I'm gonna guess most people on the list haven't heard of Zoom at all. But I wanna zoom-zoom-zooma-zoom anyway... Note that this isn't the same Zoom from the birthday song... "My name is Zoom and I live on the moon and I came down to Earth just to sing you this tune. Hey Chad, it's your birthday". - Chad "What's a kugelchew" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:24:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Chad Maloney wrote: > ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > > PS I know it''s from and old thread, but I used to love Danger Mouse when I > > was in High School! As for my childhood, anyone out there remember a kids show > > called "Zoom"? > > Showing the age there, aren't we? I'm gonna guess most people on the list > haven't heard of Zoom at all. But I wanna zoom-zoom-zooma-zoom anyway... "That's Zoom, zee double-oh em, box three five oh, Boston Mass, 02134." kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek The Wienermobile is the meat industry's Joe Camel. -- Bruce Friedrich (PETA) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006e01bddc1a$a9fc8140$c8061ecf@default> From: "John Lambert" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Update NEW AND IMPROVED TOP TEN TOPIC Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:52:48 -0400 His Holiness Rob Plass decreed: >I got 1/2 of the OMLT info from Christy this weekend. > >She still hasn't sent me the money, so as you might imagine, I'm not >all that busy working on anything yet. > >But at least there's a pulse. > >I'll take this more seriously when the money shows up, of course. > I say we hang her!!!! She's now officially crossed the line of being humorously irritating into the realms of just being a BIG FAT LIAR. "I'll send it out tomorrow" I wonder what the excuse will be this time? I've got an idea... top ten lists of Christy excuses. TOP TEN REASONS I HAVEN'T DONE WHAT I SAID I'D DO BY CHRISTY THE SHOE GODDESS: 10. Pressures of being the only shoe deity on campus. 9. The shoes won't let her do anything positive for the list w/o threatening to kill her. 8. Dad is now the personal lawyer to O.J. Simpson. 7. College food has made her too fat to leave her dorm. 6. The "man" is keeping her down. 5. Lane #14 cashier at Wal-Mart is a tough career! 4. Those creepy bagladies down at the Post Office who always beg for spare stamps. 3. "I could go at any time" 2. Severe allergies to that glue on envelopes. and the #1 reason she has done nothing... No mail services provided to her school: Southern Alabama Junior College for Mimes, Cowboys and Marine Biologists (East Hicktown Branch) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980909141617.006a4824@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 14:16:17 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Still off-topic (re: TMBG) At 01:25 PM 9/9/98 -0400, bueller wrote: >dude, that is so not fair... they only come to florida every two years >or more. i'm crying. sandy Hey, they played several shows there in March... :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980909192701.007e7100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 19:27:01 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: TMBG: They covering The Pet Shop Boys I just d/l-ed the interview about STD from tmbg.net (which kicks ass!). They said stuff about the Pet Shop Boys (who also kick-ass!) and covering their songs... I'd love them to do "Rent" That'd KIIIIIIICK AAAAAAAAASS! --USQ Colin Ellesley: The eastern counties authority on Carter USM/TMBG/Bennet/The Levellers Home Page: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html New Photo Site: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> -- Quotes about Colin #1 -- "He loves carter usm so much, he probably screams out lyrics when he cums" -- Mira <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 12:29:53 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: Zoom Message-id: <01J1LPG997C28Y5YPW@cc.usu.edu> Yeah, I remember Zoom. I also remember The Electric Company and 3-2-1 Contact! ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <56a3429c.35f6d372@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:13:54 EDT Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Zoom In a message dated 9/9/98 1:21:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu writes: > Showing the age there, aren't we? I'm gonna guess most people on the list > haven't heard of Zoom at all. But I wanna zoom-zoom-zooma-zoom anyway... LOL!!!! You betcha! I'm pushing 29, and when I was a kid, Zoom was "all that"! I actually met somebody at a party once who was part of the Zoom cast, and he couldn't believe I actually knew of the show! It made his day. I also used to watch the "Bugaloos" ... anyone remember *that* one? ^_~ > Note that this isn't the same Zoom from the birthday song... "My name is > Zoom and I live on the moon and I came down to Earth just to sing you > this tune. Hey Chad, it's your birthday". Hmm ... don't know that one. But it's *far* better than the evil traditional "birthday song"! > - Chad "What's a kugelchew" Maloney I dunno ... what *is* a kugelchew? If it's a Zoom reference, I can't say I remember it. -- Arwen, a product of really bad early 1970's television programming ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980909152923.00916430@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 15:29:23 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows Who watched Romper Room? --Jason-- "Standing in my yard where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn down garage" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35F6E40F.750A0C25@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 15:24:47 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Zoom ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > > Note that this isn't the same Zoom from the birthday song... "My name is > > Zoom and I live on the moon and I came down to Earth just to sing you > > this tune. Hey Chad, it's your birthday". > > - Chad "What's a kugelchew" Maloney > > I dunno ... what *is* a kugelchew? If it's a Zoom reference, I can't say I > remember it. Actually that's a reference to the Zoom birthday song. It says something later about getting a Kugelchew and then goes "What's a kugelchew? Well up on the moon, it's nothing new. But that won't do for you, on your birthday". I had that record when I was a kid. It was so embarassing to hear the record player singing to me... I heard a really great This American Life (public radio show) about someone who was almost on the original Zoom cast but got rejected at the last minute because they wanted another girl. http://www.kcrw.org/c/tamlife/tamlisten.html has it in RealAudio. It's called Truth and Lies at Age 10. Check it out! - Chad ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:07:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline In a message dated 9/9/98 10:25:32 AM, mjames@khserver.loyola.edu writes: >My gf and I were listening to Loveline last night and Adam Corolla said >that TMBG were going to be on the show (radio version) this week. So >it's either tonight or tomorrow night, he didn't say which. Get your >tape recorders ready! >Oh, by the way, being in the Baltimore-DC area we have a taped Loveline >(I assume from the night before) so I may be a day behind on when >they're playing. You can hear it on 99.1 WHFS in this area, I have no >idea what stations run Loveline in other markets. don't get it here... and if i do, i have no idea where or when.. .. is it on any station that you can hear on real audio? :} and *when* does it air?? sarah "cooooonquest! they played it by reeeeeequest!" ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9809092106.AA10963@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline RealAudio Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:06:59 -0400 (EDT) > >My gf and I were listening to Loveline last night and Adam Corolla said > >that TMBG were going to be on the show (radio version) this week. So > >it's either tonight or tomorrow night, he didn't say which. Get your > >tape recorders ready! > >Oh, by the way, being in the Baltimore-DC area we have a taped Loveline > >(I assume from the night before) so I may be a day behind on when > >they're playing. You can hear it on 99.1 WHFS in this area, I have no > >idea what stations run Loveline in other markets. > > don't get it here... and if i do, i have no idea where or when.. .. is it > on any station that you can hear on real audio? :} and *when* does it air?? > > sarah It looks like this URL: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/2825/radio.html will give you a list of stations that broadcast Loveline. I took a brief look at one of the pages, it looks like the station in Boston does it so I imagine any of these radio stations that have web pages would allow you to listen via Real Audio. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:29:05 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows In a message dated 9/9/98 3:31:11 PM, jdf179@Psu.Edu writes: >Who watched Romper Room? who *didn't*? :p sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 14:56:45 -0700 Message-ID: <0003D18A.C21427@broder.com> From: Courtney_Patubo@broder.com (Courtney Patubo) Subject: TMBG: Dress Code Here's one for you guys... What have you seen at the shows you have been to recently that most concert-goers are wearing? Is there any kind of uniformity to anyone's outfits? Certain ensembles that are common? TMBG shirts are probably the norm, but, I am curious about other fashion styles that show up. -- C o u r t n e y L. P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org (home) * cpatubo@broder.com (work) http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ICQ #3762743 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980909220638.0071d354@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 17:06:38 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows At 03:29 PM 9/9/98 -0400, Jason Fickley wrote: >Who watched Romper Room? > I was just gonna mention it. Yep, I'm one of those kiddies who got up at 4am to watch that show. "And I see LDB, and Arwen, and Jordan, and Mike Leffel..." LDB -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Ultimate Maxx Webpage - The Maxx IDA (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 16:23:17 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG fashion Message-id: <01J1LXC4F7428Y62XL@cc.usu.edu> The most common is jeans & a t-shirt. I never wear hats, because (1) I would never find it again if it were to fall off and (2) it would just get too damn hot with one on. I never wear my hair down because I would have no hair after the concert because we are always so packed in there and people always manage to grab hold of it-plus it would take on a quality way beyond tangled if it were to be left down (my hair is only shoulder-length, but it is still long enough to become damaged beyond repair if left down) I haven't seen this so much at TMBG shows, but other artists' concerts I've seen people wearing tops that look suspiciously like braziers, lots of see-through shirts, and very very short skirts and shorts. They were so short in fact, they might as well not have been wearing anything at all. I don't know why people go to concerts wearing things like that-it just seems kind of dangerous, especially if these people were to get in the middle of a mosh pit (which is very common at tmbg shows in SL)! Jenn ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bddc42$00771b80$6d7f3ace@default> From: "Hotel Detective" Subject: TMBG: Portland Show Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:34:25 -0700 The portland show rocked! They play for over 2 hours and almost all of there best songs. They did Working undercover for the man and Flansburgh wormed his way out of his gutar solo by telling us that the udercover police officer playing guitar was supposed to do that. They had the cannon and a lot of the conffety got stuck in the ceiling vents. They had the puppets for Exquisite dead guy. They also brought out this 10' stick that had a mic on the end for Lie still little bottle and pounded it on the ground. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:27:30 +0000 Subject: TMBG: ABSOLUTELY NOT TMBG - Re WYMN Radio Tour Absolutely nothing to do with TMBG...... but as there is a fair amount of talk about radio on the list and Community Radio (or the lack of it in the UK) is my one of my passions in life I am forwarding this to the list. Many apologies if it doesn't interest you at all......... Richard radio is my bomb [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (APPLICATION/MSWORD)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:57:59 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Portland Show Message-ID: <19980909.165825.11150.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> > They did Working undercover for the man hmm.... was this the debut of that song? has anyone heard it up until the portland show? cool, i hope they play it in d-town next week :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:11:56 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: update on 80's tv shows Message-ID: So far, besides me, or course, Adam Schoaf is the 80's king. Bow down to the underking. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:11:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dress Code What do I wear to a show? Well... hm... to my first show I didn't own a TMBG shirt, so I wore... um... I forget. To my second show, I wore a huge green accordian tour hat (based very correctly off of the picture on my best friend, Jacob's, tour hat shirt) and my TMBG shirt. Then, when I didn't feel comfortable looking like an idiot anymore, and all the morons at the concert made me mad, I let the hat get thrown away. So sad. Now I have a very specific, strict dress code. I wear shoes, socks, underwear, jeans, and a shirt (or two if I'm wearing an undershirt). The shirt is whatever T-Shirt I happen to feel will be the coolest for the night. Of course, then I buy a shirt (always at the beginning of the show so as not to let them sell out) and wear it over the top of my other shirt(s) for the rest of the show. So, sometimes I might end up with *three* shirts. That's *my* dress code, and I think the world would be a better place if everyone would stop killing each other and smoking crack and just put on a TMBG shirt over their other one... or two. -Carey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:20:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199809092320.TAA09831@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Venus Killen Subject: TMBG: help! and TMBG @ Bumbershoot!!! Hi! Just the other day, the most I'd ever heard of TMBG was a few listens to a friend's CD once about 3 years ago. The only thing I really remember from that CD is having "Instanbul (not Constantinoble)" running trhough my head for weeks after. Then, while visiting Seattle (I'm from Portland) the other day, I managed to catch the band live for the first time. WOW! To put it briefly, that was one damn good show! Anyway, since I haven't actually heard all that much from the band, I was wondering if someone could help me out on which CD best represents their sound. I have limited funds, and can only afford one or two at the most. So, I appreciate your help! Thanks!!! ---Venus Venus Killen, e-mail: sunev@cyberhighway.net, drbambib@aol.com SKAZAAM! page: http://members.xoom.com/skazaam * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---> SKAZAAM! zine, Issues #1 and #2 out now! <--- Issue #1: Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Let's Go Bowling, Buck-O-Nine Issue #2: Hepcat, The Pilfers, Save Ferris, The Varicoasters COMING SOON!: Issue #3: The Specials, The Skalars, Suicide Machines * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- *E-mail for information or advertising rates! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980909235231.18024.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:52:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Nick Hatton Subject: TMBG: SLC show on the 15th Hey Listees I have a problem. My friend and I have tix for the event in SLC on the 15th, but as we are poor college students who just got to BYU, we have no ride. Any one who would take us on pity (or gas money) would be greatly appreciated. I realize this is odd, asking for a ride from a complete stranger, but I just got here after wishing tmbg would come to CA for four years and I missed them by three weeks. Nick "Napalm and fries to go" Hatton _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 18:07:46 -0600 (MDT) Subject: TMBG: CD's Message-id: <01J1M11VEW3M9GV8GE@cc.usu.edu> For Venus who hasn't had a lot of TMBG and requested which albums were best represented of their music, I suggest Then:The Earlier Years, since it is a double album which is actually more like getting 4 albums for the price of two (Two regular albums, and EP, and lots of bonus tracks found no place else!) It seems most people are familiar with Flood, and for many, it is their favorite album.. For me, Fllod and Apollo 18 rank about the same place, so either of those two would be great also (Their newer stuff is fab too, but just getting started fans probably should start with something more familiar) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005e01bddc53$8d952500$9e896fc6@pavilion> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dress Code Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:40:03 -0400 >i ask this question all the time... why do people wear the band's shirt >to one of their shows? i mean, the best i could come up with was for >that mere chance that you'll get 'em to autograph it or something... Man, Patrick still teases me about wearing my TMBG shirt to the shows... I guess my rationale is that if you're wearing the shirt (esp. with TMBG, where you have to special order one or buy one at a show) it means you're more than just a casual fan. Or something. :) >at a tmbg show? hmm... i've only had similar experiences at punk shows >when i'm in the pit. I got my then-chin-length hair yanked pretty hard by some drunk guy who thought it'd be a good thing to hold himself up with at the Alma show, but... *shrug* Now it's only an inch or so long, so I don't have that problem. Kirsten /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ "And also, we're just not that good-looking." - John Flansburgh, TMBG kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - Kirsten Brodbeck - AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:09:40 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Kid's shows > >Who watched Romper Room? > who *didn't*? :p I didn't. My mom thought that the kids hitting the inflatable "punching clowns" was too violent. Hi, my name's Arwen, and I am the child of a clown mother ::looks down in shame:: ------------------------------ From: PhoneCat@aol.com Message-ID: <625cb02f.35f73599@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:12:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG hi guys!!!! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3d9e9358.35f7368b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:16:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dress Code In a message dated 9/9/98 6:04:38 PM, Courtney_Patubo@broder.com writes: > >What have you seen at the shows you have been to recently that most >concert-goers are wearing? Is there any kind of uniformity to anyone's >outfits? >Certain ensembles that are common? TMBG shirts are probably the norm, but, >I am >curious about other fashion styles that show up. hrm.. well... *aside* from tmbg shirts, it's uh.. indescribable yet, so.. predictable for [most] tmbg fans... i can't explain. :) sarah ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Message-ID: <7c6c11a0.35f737de@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:22:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: The Person of the Century Excuse my ignorance if this has been discussed but browsing the web I came across the Person of the Century poll and I found that John Flansburgh is in the #3 spot in the polls. And john flansburgh (lower case) is in the #18 spot. Hmmm. Its at: http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html See ya at the Ann Arbor show! Les ------------------------------ From: NoNonie@aol.com Message-ID: <40d7e63d.35f738a2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:25:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: PLANET OF THE APES I was watching the Planet of the Apes Marathon last weekend, and I couldn't help but noticing that Cornelious doesn't wear a toffee cape. In fact, the only people, er, apes that wore toffee capes were the orangutans. Cornelious was a chimp. Did I miss something in one of the movies, or are the Johns just dillusional??? ~Connie~ "Every jumbled pile of person has a thnking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <63e728e3.35f73b25@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:36:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Person of the Century In a message dated 9/9/98 10:27:54 PM, KLESLI@aol.com writes: >Excuse my ignorance if this has been discussed but browsing the web I came >across the Person of the Century poll and I found that John Flansburgh >is in >the #3 spot in the polls. And john flansburgh (lower case) is in the #18 >spot. >Hmmm. >Its at: >http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html current standings as of 10:37 pm est (forgive the shitty formatting)~ # Person % Tally 1 Jesus Christ 35.72 418000 2 Eric Cartman 17.07 199791 3 Adolf Hitler 14.82 173494 4 Ric Flair 8.22 96283 5 Mohandas Gandhi 3.21 37658 6 John Flansburgh Mustafa Kemal Ataturk 2.17 25445 8 Billy Graham 1.63 19119 9 Raven 1.55 18212 10 Pope John Paul II 1.09 12837 11 Ronald Reagan 0.99 11595 12 Sarah McLachlan 0.88 10310 13 Dr. William L. Pierce 0.78 9213 14 Ryan Aurori 0.65 7653 15 Winston Churchill 0.56 6558 16 Albert Einstein 0.54 6371 17 Lara Croft 0.49 5812 18 Trey Anastasio 0.40 4771 19 Serdar Gokhan 0.30 3539 20 Bill Gates 0.26 3083 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5324f866.35f73c84@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:42:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Person of the Century narr! In a message dated 9/9/98 10:39:56 PM, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: > 6 > John Flansburgh > Mustafa >Kemal Ataturk > 2.17 > 25445 > 8 what thehell? um, 6 John Flansburgh 3.09 36244 better. sorry. sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 21:28:36 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: PLANET OF THE APES Message-ID: <19980909.212848.15750.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Did I miss something in one of the movies, or are the >Johns just >dillusional??? the johns have let it be known several times that they're not very familiar with the films at all... they didn't even know the names to all of the movies so i wouldn't expect little things like that to be too accurate coming from them... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 21:07:49 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Message-ID: Okay, here's the last question pertinent to the 80's in any way. What are the 3 differences between a package of M&M's in 1982 and a package of M&M's in 1998? Cap'n "I guess it's cheating to proclaim myself master of the 80's because it was I who posed the question in the first place" Helfgott ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <7277df35.35f752cb@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:17:15 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. In a message dated 09/10/1998 12:11:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, helfgott@cc.wwu.edu writes: << What are the 3 differences between a package of M&M's in 1982 and a package of M&M's in 1998? >> Well... three differences are that there's no blue M & M on an ''82 package, there's no little M & M guys on one, and there's no offer of 2 million dollars. There may be more... but there's three. And all those only if I remember correctly. -Carey "What the fuck do you want from me, huh? Prescription drugs? Fuck off!" ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:31:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Simple! First off, the blue M&M's were introduced. Second, the quality was lowered, for all quality is lowered as time goes by according to my politics. Lastly, M&M's were induced with brainwashing toxins by the asian/mexican mafia nazi communist black panther party. 100 strong and growing ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:37:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: final 80's question, for the determination of the master. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Sep-98 TMBG: final 80's question, .. by leonard helfgott@cc.wwu. > What are the 3 differences between a package of M&M's in 1982 and a > package of M&M's in 1998? +blue, +red, -tan. (not to mention that since then, both peanut butter and almond M&M's have been introduced) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-10 ******************************