Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 12 Tuesday, 15 September 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome TMBG: michael shelley Re: TMBG: Yet another STD review Re: TMBG: Yet another STD review TMBG: Michael Shelley (again) TMBG: Second call, list-people at Chicago shows Non-TMBG: Frantic v. Frenetic Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... NON TMBG: this station.. Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) TMBG: San Diego Re: TMBG: Dress Code TMBG: lotta stuff TMBG: Dallas Show Re: TMBG: Dallas Show Non-TMBG: Nemesis Re: Non TMBG: Zoom TMBG: My first They show! (kinda long) Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... TMBG: LIST Problems! TMBG: palindrome Re: TMBG: palindrome TMBG: Flansburgh Person of the Century TMBG: Free When You Call From Work Re: TMBG: palindrome Re: TMBG: Rike Center TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: palindrome Re: TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) TMBG: The San Diego show TMBG: Concrete and Clay Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... Re: TMBG: My first They show! (kinda long) TMBG:Total Request Re: TMBG:Total Request TMBG: Tiny STD review in People. Re: TMBG: Tiny STD review in People. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980912112753.00811e80@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:27:53 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome Its prolly cause I'm not in shape though I prefer to think its cause I haven't been to enough TMBG shows but I can't continuoisly hop for more than say 3/4 of Birdhouse let alone the whole farkin set. Modnar "Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else, Way down inside me I can feel it coming back." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:43:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Sep-98 Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome by Jeff Roberts@po.cwru.edu > Its prolly cause I'm not in shape though I prefer to think its cause I > haven't been to enough TMBG shows but I can't continuoisly hop for more > than say 3/4 of Birdhouse let alone the whole farkin set. sure you can... you just need to have the floor do it for you. :) hmmmm, perhaps some background is required for that one... when TMBG played at CMU last November, it was the first ever major concert in that room. Basically a large ballroom with a low stage at the front, and a wooden floor. Well, they discovered that the floor had a little bit of give... it was bouncing in a wave with amplitude close to 2 feet. Apparently it had been designed to support such bouncing, but was also designed in such a way that at 3 feet it would begin to crack, and at 4 feet, it would collapse entirely. Well, during the opening number, Triborowhatever, I, being one of the few people in the room who knew the song, was jumping with each of those four beats at the end of the "refrains," and one time, didn't jump, but felt movement anyway... needless to say, it was an odd feeling. The off stage lighting rig was bouncing the whole time, quite high, and since it was right above the Johns, they kept looking at it with the "Oh my god, this is going to be like Milwaukee..." kind of looks. Fortunately, nothing bad happened, and by the time the next concert was held there, the floor had been fixed. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:55:55 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome Message-ID: <19980912.135603.3806.1.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >when TMBG played at CMU last November, it was the first ever major >concert in that room. Basically a large ballroom with a low stage at >the front, and a wooden floor. Well, they discovered that the floor had >a little bit of give... it was bouncing in a wave with amplitude close >to 2 feet. Apparently it had been designed to support such bouncing, >but was also designed in such a way that at 3 feet it would begin to >crack, and at 4 feet, it would collapse entirely. i've found that if a friend who doen't get into pogoing stands next to you, using them as balance gives you more height per jump. of course, after about three songs of pogoing, which usually leads right into the conga line, i tend to have an asthma attack and almost die. can't wait to do it again. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf. * -------------------------------------------- sept. 27 - sunny day real estate!!!!! oct. 7 - liz phair! oct. 8 - BNL! oct. 13 - TMBG!!!!!!! * -------------------------------------------- _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:02:09 -0600 Subject: TMBG: michael shelley Message-ID: <19980912.120212.11078.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! since we finally figured out who was touring with Them, i went out and bought the michael shelley CD, "Too Many Movies." It's pretty cool... not something i'd *highly* recommend but it's not bad by any means. Just kinda slow for my tastes. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 9/16: TMBG | 9/19: Dada 10/2 10/3 & 10/4: Moxy Fruvous 10/6: Eve 6/3eb | 10/7: Eagle Eye Cherry 10/9: MTX | 10/19 BNL | 10/24: Marcy Playground ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.0.2.19980912032928.01385100@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 05:52:24 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet another STD review >pogo-pop of "Til My Head Falls Off" are also of the moment--perfect for >frentic, head-in-the-speaker dancing. And for the true fan, the band has I wonder... Did they mean "frantic" or "frenetic"? Was it a sin of omission or comission? Harf, Mitch "When someone says `Society has a desperate need for bug-free software', my first thought is `Well, the residents of Hell need icewater. That doesn't mean they're gonna get it'. Maybe that's why I'm not in marketing." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <644292fd.35fad46c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:07:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet another STD review In a message dated 98-09-12 15:16:47 EDT, you write: << >pogo-pop of "Til My Head Falls Off" are also of the moment--perfect for >frentic, head-in-the-speaker dancing. And for the true fan, the band has I wonder... Did they mean "frantic" or "frenetic"? Was it a sin of omission or comission? >> Oops, it was actually my typo--it was supposed to be "frenetic." Kay ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 15:06:12 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Michael Shelley (again) Message-ID: <19980912.150615.11078.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! okay, so i looked in the liner notes Jay Sherman-Godfrey plays guitar and our very own Laura Cantrell sings on a song... very nice :) i wonder if Jay and Laura were the ones to introduce the band to Them or if They were the ones to introduce Jay and Laura to the band... hmm... anyways, the closest band i could think to relate Michael Shelley to was Cracker (kerosene hat era)... anyone else have the CD and want to comment? :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 9/16: TMBG | 9/19: Dada 10/2 10/3 & 10/4: Moxy Fruvous 10/6: Eve 6/3eb | 10/7: Eagle Eye Cherry 10/9: MTX | 10/19 BNL | 10/24: Marcy Playground ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35FB04B7.6D318DA3@oursquare.com> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:33:11 -0500 From: Neal Shankman Subject: TMBG: Second call, list-people at Chicago shows Hey all... Anybody reading this list who wants to meet up at or before either of the Chicago shows at the Vic, Oct. 2/3, please get in touch. Three of us are planning to get together for dinner before the Sat. night (10/3) show at the Melrose Restaurant on Belmont, just east of the el, one block east of Sheffield (where the Vic is). The more the merrier... regards, Neal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809130006.UAA26561@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:06:05 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Frantic v. Frenetic > I wonder... Did they mean "frantic" or "frenetic"? > Was it a sin of omission or comission? >> > >Oops, it was actually my typo--it was supposed to be "frenetic." The cracked bosom of impropriety mandates that I reply: Mr Avocado: In answer to your question, I've torn the livers from the bodies of seven pigeons and cast them into a bucket of still water. Five of them sank, one of them floated, and the last one stuck on the side of the bucket and hung there. I consulted a book (Omens, Portents, Harbingers and More! by Dr. Robert Sevin) but it had only this to say about the interpretation of such an occurrence: "Don't plan to visit the beach." Mr Avocado: Make of it what you will. MUNKY 9965: Well, well, well Mr. Harfequeph Mr Avocado: I hear the -queph is silent, my dear fellow, but I believe this to be false. I thought this was an issue that would hit extremely close to home with you, considering your status. MUNKY 9965: hey Mr Avocado: Hello MUNKY 9965: 007 Mr Avocado: 42 57 MUNKY 9965: The fish in on the shore Mr Avocado: Falls mainly on the plain MUNKY 9965: only in spain Mr Avocado: And only during the rain MUNKY 9965: the street car is going up the hill Mr Avocado: watch it go. watch it go. MUNKY 9965: Faster then slow Mr Avocado: Upside-down, then inside-out MUNKY 9965: turning slower Mr Avocado: Purring motor MUNKY 9965: screeching wheels Mr Avocado: Spinning rotor MUNKY 9965: electric windows Mr Avocado: And an unlocked door. MUNKY 9965: the club Mr Avocado: ever-vigilant MUNKY 9965: oh no free way ahead Mr Avocado: slam on brakes MUNKY 9965: turn left Mr Avocado: over the sidewalk and through the woods MUNKY 9965: to grandmothers house we go Mr Avocado: on a secret mission MUNKY 9965: oh yes very secret Mr Avocado: gun is loaded MUNKY 9965: bases are full Mr Avocado: pressure is on MUNKY 9965: will he make it? Mr Avocado: thunder cracks ominously MUNKY 9965: rain Mr Avocado: he's got a gun! MUNKY 9965: Run joey run Mr Avocado: violent projectile MUNKY 9965: in the streets Mr Avocado: strangers pass by MUNKY 9965: faces in the dark Mr Avocado: glancing at the man on the ground MUNKY 9965: in a red wagon Mr Avocado: whistling a jazzy tune MUNKY 9965: to the beat of a leaky pipe Mr Avocado: in the pounding rain MUNKY 9965: the crazy man laughs Mr Avocado: and spills his milk MUNKY 9965: On his dirty socks Mr Avocado: that have never seen the light of day MUNKY 9965: or sleeped in the hay Mr Avocado: their color grey MUNKY 9965: or light black Mr Avocado: cackled the businessman MUNKY 9965: to his mother Mr Avocado: whose ship had come in MUNKY 9965: to late to sail in the dark Mr Avocado: smiling sharks in the water MUNKY 9965: feed on small bagboys Mr Avocado: insolently muching away MUNKY 9965: gurgling on the quail Mr Avocado: that bedevil them MUNKY 9965: oh me oh my Mr Avocado: I don't know why MUNKY 9965: She ate the fly Mr Avocado: Perhaps she'll die MUNKY 9965: but that is why she ate the spider Mr Avocado: whose ironclad contract MUNKY 9965: filed for tree freedom Mr Avocado: ignoring the oppressed ferns Harf, Mitch aka Mr Avocado "When someone says `Society has a desperate need for bug-free software', my first thought is `Well, the residents of Hell need icewater. That doesn't mean they're gonna get it'. Maybe that's why I'm not in marketing." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:52:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... In a message dated 09/11/1998 11:27:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rabidchild@tmbg.org writes: << anyone have plans for dallas/austin/houston shows? >> I'm gonna be at the Houston show with my best friend Jacob and some of his college buddies. He goes to Rice, but I'm flying out there from here (Atlanta) for the show and his birthday and to just generally visit. It's gonna be da bomb. Aww yeah. And then I get to see them again on October 10th. Which I think I already said. But who cares. Life is repetitive. -Carey "Oh my God, we're back again...." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:02:33 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: this station.. hey ... i'm listening in real audio to some college station in ...Ohio. it's amazing.. i love this stuff.. yet there's no dj to say who it is. :P it's just this... funny sounding yet cool... stuff , and it goes on and *on* and *on*... i'm sure some others of you will like it as well. here's the url~ http://kbux.ohio-state.edu/signal.ram okay. back to tmbg discussion ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <7dfb0650.35fb3791@aol.com> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:10:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) In a message dated 09/12/1998 11:19:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gray42@juno.com writes: << . My feet still ache a bit from my own furious >hopping, >but it feels pretty good. ^_^;; ah yes, I think this is a common leg ache that all listees may share. The music makes you hop, your having a great time, you don't feel a thing. >> Especially after "Birdhouse in Your Soul." John and John'll make ya... jump! Jump! And jump! "Not to put to fine a point on it...." Still jumping, nothing out jumps a TMBG fan during "Birdhouse." It is at this point that the world finds out that white men CAN jump. Then and Ana Ng, if they happen to be doing the dance. Which I do (although I'm not ALL white) and my friend Jacob (ALL white) does. People were getting scared of us at the Georgia Tech show we went to 'cause we were jumping so much, but then the guy next to me (who'd been looking at me like I was a maniac the whole time) for some reason started trying to learn the Ana Ng dance as I was doing it. Pretty cool... pretty cool indeed. -Carey "We're waiting for our thumbs...." ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:36:58 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) Message-ID: <19980912.223704.13142.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > It is at this point that the >world >finds out that white men CAN jump. Is it just the TMBG shows i've been to or is does this happen at other shows too... but like, over half the audience is pogoing OFFbeat... erg, it looks so retarded... hmm... come to think of it... of all the TMBG shows i've gone to i've never gone with a white person... :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 9/16: TMBG | 9/19: Dada 10/2 10/3 & 10/4: Moxy Fruvous 10/6: Eve 6/3eb | 10/7: Eagle Eye Cherry 10/9: MTX | 10/19 BNL | 10/24: Marcy Playground ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 00:48:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) In a message dated 09/13/1998 12:39:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << Is it just the TMBG shows i've been to or is does this happen at other shows too... but like, over half the audience is pogoing OFFbeat... erg, it looks so retarded... hmm... come to think of it... of all the TMBG shows i've gone to i've never gone with a white person... >> Well, I never said that white men had rhythm. Just that, at this point, they could jump. =) No, no, seriously folks. I think it's at every show because one, a lot of people really won't have rhythm, and, two, sometimes people get really tired or frantic or too into the song to really be into the song and so they can't keep up. That happens to me sometimes. I find myself jumping too fast or something. But I always correct it as soon as I notice. That reminds me, though the GA Tech concert. They let some guy play the stick for his birthday and he had absolutely no rhythm. I'd say it was probably embarassing for him, but I assume he was quite drunk. And jeez... I should go to a concert with you. Usually, when Jacob and I go to a show we can (and do) count the number of black people there on one hand. And one of them is always me. -Carey "Now there's just 5 seconds until They Might Be Giants hits the stage over, and over again. Nobody knows what this is four." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 07:43:29 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: TMBG: San Diego Message-ID: Hello all listies attending the SD show today, I will be dressed as a pirate with a skull face. Sarah "marshmallow maties" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:18:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dress Code Message-ID: Well, I've been to 3 TMBG shows & well, 2 of them were outside (Hatch Shell), & yet, I always wore the same (sort of) thing. T-Shirt, pants (long black ones, not jeans), & maybe some unneccesary piece of clothing (a brown ripped sweater, a black long sleeved shirt unbuttoned, etc.). Oh, yeah, I found that outside people had more of a tendency to wear shorts or skirts (because it's hot, damnit), I suppose (in theory) it should get hot when you crowd many people into a club or college auditorium or something. Personally, I like to see people wear something that gives them a bit of individuality (so, you know, maybe I can tell they are a listie or just looking like someone cool to talk to), when everyone looks similarly dressed, it's hard for me to make a decision on who to talk to... jason "shallow bastard who judges people by how they express their inner person through their outer person" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:38:38 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: lotta stuff Message-ID: <23181-35FBF50E-732@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hey, is anyone going to the Chicago show? I know I am! It's my first TMBG show ever!! Be HAPPY FOR ME! If anyone else is going, I'll be the fourteen year old with a radiohead shirt on eating pez (I'll be using my TMBG skull head pez dispencer). I'm so excited. I finally get to go to a TMBG concert; to be surrounded by freaks like me. Does anyone know who did the original "We've got a world that swings"? It was like Duke Ellington or Jerry Lee Lewis, I theenk. My brother is going to get me The Long, Long Trailer on video. Important? No. "Wow, father, now you can be my mommy, too" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809131817.OAA27964@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 13:19:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Dallas Show Hey People, Are any of you planning on going to the show in Dallas? My friends from home and some from here at school are going, and I wanted to be on the lookout for any listees who might be there. Also, I was wondering what this Deep Ellum Live place is like... Last year I saw them at Trees in Deep Ellum, so i figured that this place would be similar, but you never know.... Kris ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:43:22 -0500 (CDT) From: "Albert B. McWilliams" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dallas Show Message-ID: I am gonna be there! wouldn't miss it for the world. Deep Ellum Live is just a big ex-procenium theatre, Empty floor, capacity 1000. It can only be compared to the great St. Andrew's Hall in sunny and scenic Detroit Michigan (home). Al "sticky" mcwilliams amcwilli@mail.smu.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809131952.PAA03876@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:52:17 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Nemesis >I'm gonna be at the Houston show with my best friend Jacob and some of his >college buddies. He goes to Rice, but I'm flying out there from here (Atlanta) >for the show and his birthday and to just generally visit. Jacob is my nemesis. There can be only one. Harf, Mitch "When someone says `Society has a desperate need for bug-free software', my first thought is `Well, the residents of Hell need icewater. That doesn't mean they're gonna get it'. Maybe that's why I'm not in marketing." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980913190236.00905870@cmcgraw.pobox.stanford.edu> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:02:36 -0700 From: Chris McGraw Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Zoom Oh my god. I got that My name is Zoom tape for my birthday (he used the three syllable formula -- "chris-to-pher"). And every now and then that song gets stuck in my head. Chris "buzzersnoo and three eyed tickle-shay" McGraw c h r i s m c g r a w cookie in one hand dont call me at work standing on the bed make new friends dont lets shes an angel wait baby.i didn't.mean to say nightmare ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:54:11 -0700 (PDT) From: Scott Dogg <01schris@jasper.uor.edu> Subject: TMBG: My first They show! (kinda long) Message-Id: Hello everybody, I've been on this list for quite some time now but I've never had a reason to post before. Well, now I do, because I just saw Them in concert in San Juan Capistrano last night! I can honestly say that They put on the best show I've ever seen. And now for those of you that care (and also for those that don't), my impression of the show. The first band to open was called "Just Plain Big". They were a pretty typical rock band, but I think it was formed by putting together members of other bands: the two guitarists were wearing t-shirts and shorts, the bass player was wearing a suit and tie, and the drummer was wearing a collared shirt. But they weren't bad. Then some other guy named Michael Shelley (I think) played next. He was OK as well, but nothing to write home about. Finally, the lights dimmed and They Might Be Giants took the stage. I think I got the set list right (all this was written on my ticket stub) Severe Tire Damage (STD? hmmm...) Theme Broom (Acoustic) Lost Twistin' Famous Polka (without the lyrics) - Flans let somebody in the audience play his guitar during this one Mammal - Linnell introduced it with something like "Here's the song about things you don't need to know about things you don't care about" or something like that. Subliminal Older SEXXY - If you've never been to the Coach House, it's a really small venue that actually has seating. The people on the right side got to stand up (but I was over on the left though). Flans introduced this song by saying, "we're not really used to playing with people sitting down, so this one is dedicated to all the people over to our right... in rock terms, they're what's known as our entourage." James K. Polk - Flans started looking around the room, saying "There's a cannon in this room, pointed at someone... can we get the lights off us so we can see? Oh there it is, it's pointed at me... well, it's been nice knowing all of you..." then it fired, but the confetti didn't go very far, and Linnell said, "Fuck that cannon shit! This is supposed to be about the MUSIC!" Spy - Flans directed the band during the improv, then they went into "Mr. Tambourine Man" Lie Still Little Bottle (with The Stick) - Afterwards, Flans said, "Well, because of that Mr. Tambourine Man, I messed up the set, so we're gonna have to change the show..." but I didn't get a set list so I dunno what they were supposed to do. Battle For the Planet of The Apes - Flans: "We're going to perform a rock ritual known as 'pumping your fist'... I know you're drunk, and you don't want to, but we're not asking... we're telling you." She's Actual Size - Flans: "He's a cyborg thirsty for human flesh, more machine than man, our drummer, Mr. Dan Hickey, and he's about to explode..." New York City I Palendrome I Working Undercover for the Man - Flans: "I don't know if you remember that show the Mod Squad, but it turns out it was a true story... this song's about that." Your Racist Friend Whistling in the Dark - Flans played a big drum during this one, then at the end he took it off and was just wearing this vest thing with hooks on it that hold the drum, and he stated that it was "the fashion of the future." WDTSS? - They started playing the rock version, but they Linnell yelled, "They're all sitting down!" and they started over, kind of a wierd combination between the original and the rock versions. Very groovy. Spider - Flans turned his mic upside down, and the base almost fell down on him. Birdhouse The Guitar - Flans: "This one is for all the people over there dancing" Dr. Worm *1st Encore* She's An Angel - Flans was talking about how they were playing in San Diego tomorrow, and he didn't know if the show was free or not, and someone in the crowd shouted that it wasn't, so he said, "Fuck it then! It's too long of a drive anyways!" Exquisite Dead Guy - Those puppet heads are scarier than anything I could have imagined Ana Ng *2nd Encore* Istambul Spiraling Shape No One Knows My Plan - They started this one with "Everybody conga! Bar maids conga! Drunk guy conga! Shy people conga! Everybody conga! We're only gonna play for another 6 minutes and then that's it! It's time to put your hands on the hips of a stranger!" Unfortunately the conga lines couldn't go very far with all the tables and chairs around, but it was fun to watch the employees scrambling to get chairs out of the way so people wouldn't hurt themselves. It was an amazing set, I'm definitely going to see Them again when (if?) they come back to the west coast. Scott "had just given up all hope of ever seeing an OMLT" Christiansen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980914025259.9868.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:52:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... ---ska-ti-da wrote: > > howdy... anyone know where i could procure good mp3's of the factory > showroom session songs? i used to have them but lost them when my computer > decided to kill itself a while ago..... Yes, if anyone has this info, do tell. > anyone have plans for dallas/austin/houston shows? Yes! I will be at the Dallas and Austin shows, and I would like to meet any of you people who are interested. > rabidchild > paul > swan Wondering if she should wear a trenchcoat, Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html The day you trade your soul for a heart of stone is the greatest story never told. --Mono Puff _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35FCCE1A.15DCB04C@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:04:46 -0800 From: BONGO Subject: TMBG: LIST Problems! Jason A. Glastetter proclaimed": >First of all, I haven't gotten my digest for two days..any ideas on what the hell is up?> Wow! I though it was just me! Finally when I have something important to say, the list has some kind of technical difficulty! I'm on the digest version too ... maybe the problem was just with us. Anyway, stay tuned for my Loveline comments and L.A. HOB review coming soon to a TMBG list near you! -B O N G O _________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:06:28 +0100 From: Vale Norton Subject: TMBG: palindrome Message-id: <3.0.1.32.19980914140628.0072e874@bureau.ucc.ie> so i've been subscribed to this list for a year or so, and i generally dont write at all, but 2 days ago i rediscovered all the old tmbg albums - now what i want to ask all ye really devoted fans is on the song i palindrome i, in the background are they singing: you gotta be stoned to appreciate this cause i remember some tmbg/anti-drug thread running a while back ,m and the fact that they dont indulge in anything else cept caffeine, which may be true but surelynot... anyway it was great to listen to all the old favourites again - following an angel, cowtown, alienations for the rich, ana ng etc etc too many to list , esp as im probably getting the titles all mixed up, anyway bye vale ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980914094956.006a48a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:49:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: palindrome At 02:06 PM 9/14/98 +0100, Vale Norton wrote: > >so i've been subscribed to this list for a year or so, and i generally dont >write at all, but 2 days ago i rediscovered all the old tmbg albums - > >now what i want to ask all ye really devoted fans is on the song i >palindrome i, in the background are they singing: > > you gotta be stoned to appreciate this It's "egad a base tone denotes a bad age", which is, of course, a palindrome. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003101bddfee$74c32b00$a4061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh Person of the Century Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:46:27 -0400 I got this... We have taken down this poll temporarily for maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience and please check back soon! 9/9/98 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980914115140.00820100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:51:40 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Free When You Call From Work I was sitting at work over the summer completely bored out of my mind when I remembered some works of wisdom - "TMBG Dial-A-Song: Free When You Call From Work". I'd never called it before cause I didn't want to pay the toll charges but I realized that I was at work, at it was free. After three tries and subsequent busy signals I was finally treated to the sounds of The Bells Are Ringing coming over my Meridian 2116 model phone. I was hooked. I called back again and again and again for about 2 hours straight and heard about 20 some different songs before it was time to go home. (I had alot of free time in the late afternoon at work). After that I called at least once a day and sometimes more but most of the songs after that first marathon day were repeats. Does anyone know exactly how many songs are on the Dial-A-Song machine? I was expecting only one or at the most five and especially not 20+. Jeff "Free When You Use A Spork" Roberts "Mom! Dad! Don't touch it! It's evil!" -Kevin in Time Bandits Jeff Roberts The Stylishly Violent God of Time and All Things Edible jlr3@po.cwru.edu Visit schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <6e911683.35fd4a14@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:53:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: palindrome In a message dated 9/14/98 9:12:10 AM, stay8049@BUREAU.UCC.IE writes: > >now what i want to ask all ye really devoted fans is on the song i >palindrome i, in the background are they singing: > > you gotta be stoned to appreciate this > >cause i remember some tmbg/anti-drug thread running a while back ,m and >the >fact that they dont indulge in anything else cept caffeine, which may >be >true but surelynot... sorry to burst yer bubble, it's: egad a base tone denotes a bad age . sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980914131904.00913240@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:19:04 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Rike Center >I'll be at Cleveland and Pittsburgh, but Cincinnati is just too far for >me to drive on a Friday afternoon - plus I'd have to stay somewhere. Well, I do have early classes on Fridays and I do know people in Cincy, but...nah. Too far of a drive, especially after driving to Cleveland and Pittsburgh the 2 previous days. I guess back-to-back concerts is good enough :) See you guys there, hopefully...oh, wait...there's still 3 weeks until these concerts...oh well...I'm going to the Cleveland show solo but I'll have my hometown entourage at the Pittsburgh show. So, basically I'm desperate for companionship... --Jason-- "Standing in my yard where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn down garage" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:25:09 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <19980914.162513.3782.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) Hey, I just got on this list yesterday, and there have been some questions that I have wanted answers for for quite some time, and I figured I'd throw them at all you TMBG experts out there. 1) I joined the TMBG Information Club and in their newsletters you can buy their stuff. In one newsletter you could buy "past memberships from the Hello CD Of the Month Club" like from 1996 it was something like $45. What IS that? 12 CDs? Or a whole bunch of songs on 1 CD or what? 2) Is Mono Puff anything like TMBG? I can't decide if I should get it. 3) Would you recommend me getting Misc. T and the self Titled CD or They: The Earlier years or all 3? (I already have Lincoln) And are those first 2 more like Lincoln or Apollo 18? To be honest I don't like Lincoln much at all. CowTown is good, and there are a couple other good ones, but it's not of the same caliber as the others. Ditto Factory Showroom. 4) Those EPs in the newsletters (Why Does The Sun Shine, They'll Need a Crane, etc.), are those just singles, or do they contain songs that are ONLY available on those CDs? Well, that's it :) particle.man@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35FD8DA2.BE2EC390@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:41:56 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Anon Y Mous wrote: > 1) I joined the TMBG Information Club and in their newsletters you can > buy their stuff. In one newsletter you could buy "past memberships from > the Hello CD Of the Month Club" like from 1996 it was something like $45. > What IS that? 12 CDs? Or a whole bunch of songs on 1 CD or what? Several CD's, by several different artists > 2) Is Mono Puff anything like TMBG? I can't decide if I should get it. Some of the songs are similar to TMBG ones, and some aren't. If you like TMBG, there's a good chance you'll also like Mono Puff. I'm not guaranteeing anything, though. > 3) Would you recommend me getting Misc. T and the self Titled CD or > They: The Earlier years or all 3? (I already have Lincoln) And are those > first 2 more like Lincoln or Apollo 18? To be honest I don't like > Lincoln much at all. CowTown is good, and there are a couple other good > ones, but it's not of the same caliber as the others. Ditto Factory > Showroom. I guess I'd say that the first (self-titled) album is more like Lincoln than A18. It's more eerie and synthetic-sounding than most of Their later stuff. Misc. T contains songs that were written around the same time as the first album and Lincoln, so they tend to sound similar to the songs on those albums, but not quite as complementary to each other. They also vary considerably in quality. Then has all of the songs from the first album, Lincoln, and Misc. T (with a few very minor exceptions), plus some extra stuff. If you do purchase Then, it would mean you probably wouldn't have to get the first album or Misc. T, unless you're a completist. > 4) Those EPs in the newsletters (Why Does The Sun Shine, They'll Need a > Crane, etc.), are those just singles, or do they contain songs that are > ONLY available on those CDs? Most of them have B-sides. The B-sides on singles from the first two albums (Hotel Detective, Don't Let's Start, They'll Need A Crane) are also available on Misc. T and Then. Those from later albums are usually only available on the EP's. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809141900.PAA28134@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:00:17 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: palindrome >sorry to burst yer bubble, it's: > > egad a base tone denotes a bad age Oh, so you're sorry to burst HIS bubble. Typical. I should have expected this from a three time high traitor to the cause. That's the last time I ignore the counsel of Uncle. If you like Lord of the Rings, check out: http://www.hollywood.com/news/topstories/08-24-98/html/1-2.html Harf, Mitch "When someone says `Society has a desperate need for bug-free software', my first thought is `Well, the residents of Hell need icewater. That doesn't mean they're gonna get it'. Maybe that's why I'm not in marketing." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <19980914.151655.8063.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:18:13 EDT Welcome to the list. As for your questions: >1) I joined the TMBG Information Club and in their newsletters you can buy >their stuff. In one newsletter you could buy "past memberships from the Hello >CD Of the Month Club" like from 1996 it was something like $45. What IS >that? 12 CDs? Or a whole bunch of songs on 1 CD or what? It's 10 CD from various artists, some of which are John Linnell and Mono Puff. The amount of songs on a CD is usually between 4 and 10. >2) Is Mono Puff anything like TMBG? I can't decide if I should get it. Mono Puff is great. I highly recommend getting both of their albums. >3) Would you recommend me getting Misc. T and the self Titled CD or They: >The Earlier years or all 3? (I already have Lincoln) And are those first 2 more >like Lincoln or Apollo 18? To be honest I don't like Lincoln much at all. >Cow town is good, and there are a couple other good ones, but it's not of the >same caliber as the others. Ditto Factory Showroom. My recommendation is Then: TEY, because it contains previously unreleased songs. Unless you want all things They, in which case I say get all three. They are closer to Lincoln in sound, IMHO. >4) Those EPs in the newsletters (Why Does The Sun Shine, They'll Need a >Crane, etc.), are those just singles, or do they contain songs that are ONLY >available on those CDs? The songs on They'll Need A Crane are all found on Misc. T (except the title track). WDTSS is all new songs, except for Spy, but it's a different version. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:24:05 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the hopping syndrome (was SF show) Message-ID: <19980914.155807.10094.0.gray42@juno.com> On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:36:58 -0600 tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >> It is at this point that the >>world >>finds out that white men CAN jump. > >Is it just the TMBG shows i've been to or is does this happen at other >shows too... but like, over half the audience is pogoing OFFbeat... >erg, it looks so retarded... My good friend does it all the time, accept when he jumps, he jumps diagonally Mysterio Gal (official parallel personality= wrestler, Al Snow) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >hmm... come to think of it... of all the TMBG shows i've gone to i've >never gone with a white person... > >:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > 9/16: TMBG | 9/19: Dada > 10/2 10/3 & 10/4: Moxy Fruvous > 10/6: Eve 6/3eb | 10/7: Eagle Eye Cherry >10/9: MTX | 10/19 BNL | 10/24: Marcy Playground >::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:53:34 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: TMBG: The San Diego show Message-ID: On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Man, I'd really like to > try to take those moon shoes to their concert, ya know, the ones with the > built in trampolenes :), or maybe I'm just looking for a death sentence > :P > Ha, we have some of those at my house, after you take em of its like you've been at sea for a week. The amount of carnage they would cause at a concert is amusing. Considering that it already hurts like a big fat enormous bitch when you fall over in the comfort of your own home. The Streetscene show was exhilarating cuz I haven't seen Them in two years, but kind of a rip-off; they were only scheduled for an hour, and they only played for forty minutes. My usual fantasy that Linnell was looking at ME and not the other 700 people to the right of him was supported by my skull make-up and frequent waving around in the air of my plastic pirate sword. The songs (I forget the order after Dr. Worm) STD Theme Broom DR. Worm WDTSS Actual Size Polk Istanbul Birdhouse Ana Ng The Guitar NOKMP Shoehorn Dr. Worm and I'm probably forgetting something. Banter included Dan Hickey, more machine then man etc. want's to hear you scream! Scream! If this weren't an all ages show such unbelievable swear words would be coming out of my mouth, it would be like I had Tourrette's Syndrome! This is our one song where we like to you a cannon, unlike most other bands, which use a cannon in every song. Our shirts cost roughly 4 times the amount of a regular T-shirt, but they are Clean Laundry, if your feeling kind of dirty from wearing the same shirt for the last couple of days, like I was, they are Clean Laundry On please not moshing: We are sensitive cats, and, Thanks for quitting with the Ultraviolence After the show my supposed friends got an interview, which will be broadcasted on USC's Trojan Vision. They said Flansie was very nice, Linnell was grumpy, and their were 18 guys squished into a teeny tour bus. Then Save Ferris came on and annoyed me in many ways, but especially by going"I can't believe we're playing After TMBG, I've been a fan for so long and not just because they're cute". Kinda like when Juliet Binoche made it worse for Lauren Bacall by gushing about how she totally thought Bacall was going to win the Oscar. Then my supposed friends rescinded my ride home for no good reason when I had to be in LA by 8am today. Sarah Winningham ------------------------------ From: njh23@email.byu.edu Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:44:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Concrete and Clay Message-id: <3.0.6.32.19980914174452.007a9100@email.byu.edu> Hello fellow listees I recently read the lyrics to a TMBG song called "Concrete and Clay." Can anyone shed light on this subject? Perhaps a copy is gathering dust somewhere? I really enjoyed the lyrics and I would like to hear the song. Nick "Napalm and fries to go" Hatton ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <50a53eae.35fdc0de@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:20:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions... In a message dated 09/13/1998 11:08:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cherubino@rocketmail.com writes: << > anyone have plans for dallas/austin/houston shows? Yes! I will be at the Dallas and Austin shows, and I would like to meet any of you people who are interested. >> And I'll be at the Houston show. I'm mixed black and white and you might, at first glance, take me for hispanic or something, but I ain't. My head is almost shaved... just really, really short. Come over and chat. I'll be wearing either a Superman shirt or a PEZ shirt, and I may not be covering it up 'cause I kinda plan to buy *two* shirts and if I'm gonna have to hold one (my usual reason for putting on my newly bought shirt) I might as well hold two. I don't think 4 shirts will be comfortable (can't forget that undershirt). -Carey P.S. Contrary to popular belief... I'M MALE. No I don't look like a girl (anymore) but for my entire application process to RISD they thought I was female, I guess based on my name. Stupid art punks. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <826badad.35fdc18b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:23:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: My first They show! (kinda long) In a message dated 09/14/1998 03:46:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 01schris@jasper.uor.edu writes: << Then some other guy named Michael Shelley (I think) played next. He was OK as well, but nothing to write home about. >> But as Scott has never had anything to write home about, this is nothing special, and therefore, nothing to write home about. -Carey "Sometimes I really just feel like misquoting Rosencrants and Gildensturn are Dead... *and* misspelling it." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG:Total Request Message-ID: <19980914.213417.8063.3.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:35:43 EDT Well, I think we've given Mtv enough time to play Dr. Worm on their own, so now we have to step in. All this week EVERYONE on this list has to call in or e-mail Total Request. We must get Dr. Worm played, so everyone has to get as many people as they can to request it daily. The e-mail and phone number are below. Request it every day! E-mail: total@mtvmail.com Phone: 1-800-Dial-MTV Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980914213758.006d01d4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:37:58 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Total Request First of all, every list I'm on has tried the "let's get a video on Total Request!" campaign, and every single one has failed...(well, aside from the Treefort, and that's 'cause One Week is on there anyway.) Regardless, if MTV has the video...well, that's a shoe-in for 120 Minutes, and it hasn't been listed on their list of debut videos for the past month or so. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <372994ef.35fdd7c7@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:58:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tiny STD review in People. Hey hey. In the latest People Magazine, (the one with Jodie Foster on the cover) there is a teeny tiny review of STD--- Worth A Listen- Severe Tire Damage They Might Be Giants (Restless) The quirck rockers are a kick in concert, as this hook-laiden live album of old hits ("Birdhouse in Your Soul") and new tunes prove. -------- So thats it! Yay! A good review! I knew People wouldn't forget TMBG. Jordan ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Tiny STD review in People. Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:05:19 -0500 AARRGGHH! can't these people find another word to describe them? quirky IS getting a bit overused. * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-12 ******************************