Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 15 Friday, 18 September 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: D-Town Show - 9/16/98 Re: TMBG: SLC vs. denver Re: TMBG: D-Town Show - 9/16/98 TMBG: Re: SLC: three dans plus two johns equals a full house... (LONG) Re: TMBG: Horrible hands TMBG: whoa... Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective on DAS Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions Re: TMBG: SLC Re: TMBG: High School Yearbook Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective on DAS Re: TMBG: eric shermerhorn TMBG: SLC famous polka Re: TMBG: typical "newbie" greeting... Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka -- what *is* this 'polka' thing? Re:TMBG: whoa... Re: TMBG: Re: SLC: three dans plus two johns equals a full house... (LONG) Re:TMBG: whoa... TMBG: Wonkamania? Re: NON-TMBG: Wonkamania? TMBG: MP3s Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka (long - about time signature stuff) TMBG: SF show Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Re: TMBG: SF show TMBG: Dallas bootleggers! Re: TMBG: Horrible hands TMBG: ? Re: TMBG: The San Diego show TMBG: time! is marching on! and time! is still marching on! Re: TMBG: ? Re: TMBG: whoa... TMBG: college Re: TMBG: ? TMBG: Flood? TMBG: one more parade Re: TMBG: Flood? Re: TMBG: one more parade Re: TMBG: one more parade Re: TMBG: one more parade Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Re: TMBG: one more parade Re: TMBG: one more parade Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:42:03 -0600 Subject: TMBG: D-Town Show - 9/16/98 Message-ID: <19980917.014220.16894.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ***Warning, this is the longest message i will ever post to this list, but pleaseplease read the whole damn thing and share my joy of meeting all these cool people (especially band members.) So here it is September 16, 1998 and They Might Be in Denver! :) It's been almost two years since they were last here (1/2/97). And the last time I saw them was in Lawrence, KS (5/3/97) about 10 hours away which is quite different from tonights show which is about 3 blocks away from my humble residence. Anyways, my day started out pretty badly, it turns out i missed their interview on KTCL (this is the second time i've done that... grr). But anyways.. Rachel, Lindsey, Audrey and I headed out at 3:30 this afternoon. We went out and bought Lindsey and Audrey's tickets because well, until about a month ago when i made them some tapes they hadn't heard of TMBG. We dropped them off and went down to the venue ourselves at a little before 5. We stopped by and got our fix of caffeine at a cafe and then went and sat in line... Oddly enough, we weren't even first in line, being a whole 4 hours early. No, Jesse (right?) and (jason?) from the newsgroup were in front of us and two chicks that i couldn't even tell you if they spoke english or not... We talked about all the people i knew on the NG (since well i've never been there but sarah (linnellgirl) you came up in our conversation.. :) anyways, if one of you newsgroup kids (heh, sarah?) could forward this over there i'd love to hear a response from ya jesse and anyone else that was there! BEST PART OF THE DAY, BEFORE THE SHOW: So we were standing in line and out of the venue walks Dan Hicky and Dan Weinkauf (i think that's his last name). Came outside, i was like "hey, are you dan and dan?" (imagine a huge cheesy grin while i'm saying this) and then promptly started cracking up cuz i was being such a dork. anyways, i asked them to sign my hat but hicky was like, what do you want me to sign cuz it looks like i've already signed your hat (which he had in kansas) so i let him sign my hand made shirt (which had a Michael Shelley logo on front and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS in the std-dot font logo on the back) and both dans were like "wow, you're a michael shelley fan?" But uhm, dan miller walked over and signed my hat too. So a little later on, we see John Linnell riding his bike about 2 blocks down the street, we were all debating if it was really john or not but by the time he got about a block away we were all waving (he promptly crossed the street to their tour bus and dissappeared.) A few minutes later tho, he comes walking across teh street so i was like "mr. linnell please sign my hat, blahblah, i've had this thing w/o your autograph for like 4 years, please?" so he was like "if i sign yours i'm gonna have to sign something for everyone else here too" which really pissed me off because at that point there were only six of us standing around, i just told him "no you don't" so he signed it and then shafted the next guy in line that wanted sumthin signed. Allright moving on, So then three guys walk out of the theater that i didnt recognize but they started staring at me for a few minutes, so i smiled at 'em just assuming they were in Michael Shelley's band when they were like "what's your shirt say" when i was like "Michael shelley, you guys wouldn't happen to the band would you?" they were indeed and were so shocked to see that they had a fan that they asked me if they could take pictures of me. that was odd, the band asking me if i would take a picture with them. :) so they also autographed my shirt and as mike (the hottie bass player) signed it he had to put his hand partway up it heh, he's like "sorry, i'm not trying to get fresh with you or anything" i was slightly amused. We all talked for quite some time, mostly about hello and how much i miss it and all the cool people in it and how cool laura cantrell and jay sherman godfrey are. I asked him about Cheeky Monkey (his side project band), etc. So we stand in line like 45 minutes longer and i see these two guys carrying around a recorder. Me, being the rabid bootleg collecter that i am, asked 'em if they were planning on bootlegging the show. No, they had just had an interview with both bands. So of course i gave them all my pertinent info so they could trade with me and i was just like "pleaseplease get in touch with me... i'm sure we can work some sort of trade out, etc." and they were just like "yeah, especially since part of the interview was about you and your shirt" AAAH! :) [SOUND CHECK] we could hear their soundcheck outside, they played: -Mr. Tambourine Man -Subliminal -Working Under Cover For the Man -Spy -Dr. Worm So then about 20 minutes before doors, we see that they were putting all of the little kiddies (under 21) in the balcony, so damn far away you need friggin binoculars to see the stage much less people on the stage. I was slightly pissed seeing as how, i myself, am i little chiddler and worst off i look about 8 years younger than i am. But Micahel (shelley) walked out and i went up to him and asked him if he'd help me out and get me up front. so he told me he'd see if he could get me a backstage pass which off course, i was just psyched about. unfortunately, backstage passes didn't exist at this benue (which i can totally believe, having been back there before once, i can tell you that it is soo cramped back there they wouldn'rt have room to get me in) and all he could do was get me on the guest list (which didn't help cuz i already had my tickets and was inside the theater by the time i found that out, so i couldn't sell my tickets anyways.) So i'm in the theater and up in the balcony when Michael comes upstairs to talk to me some more and i asked him if he'd try to just walk me in past the guards and all. He suggested that i go out of the venue and around the alley to the back entrance when he was informed that if i was backstage i'd just get kicked out so i was pretty much stuck in the balcony. He said he'd see what else he could do. A few minutes later we saw them putting barricades up making room for all of us kiddies to go downstairs. THE SHOW!!! I went on the first tier (the venue was like in levels not like normal shows). I didn't go in front cuz well all the stupid ho 21+ people were already there and i'm short (5'7" so...i didn;t want to be in the second row). We waited a little while longer and out came Michael Shelley and Co. (at about 9:10). Michael immediately points to me and then threw me a can of coca-cola :) i was happy cuz i was dying of thirst (he read my mind). They were dissing on Utah soooo bad, not only that but how strict mormons are in general. they made some joke about it inbetween just about every song. The set generally went one song from "Too Many movies" and then one song from the "half empty " cd. Throughout the set Mike (the bass player) and Michael kepy smiling at me and i was feeling pretty cool when right before their last song, "think with your heart" Michael says, "this one's going out to Jordan. Jordan, what's your last name?" so i yelled out my last name and he's like "allright, Jordan Arnot" After their set ended (around 9:45) I was tweaking, Dan Weinkauf walked on stage and i yelled out "john i mean dan i mean..." he laughed (did i mention i was tweaking? i couldn't think straight, please note that i wasn't even on drugs or anything). So anyways, then i see dan hicky walk in the side door and i yelled something to him and he smiled, pointed at me and then turned around and walked back out the door. (i was amused by this). Just then, i feel this hand grip my shoulder. I turn around promptly to see Michael Shelley there! :) He asked me how i liked the set and all... we talked for a bit but he went backstage. (which by the way the band was psyched because they finally had enough time to stay and watch all of TMBG's set.) I saw him, mike and dave (i coulda sworn his name was rick but hey) on the side of the stage for all of TMBG's set. which i thought was cool. TMBG's SET!!! Dan, Dan, and Dan took the stage first and started into STD THEME... then J&J came out and here's teh set list: -NYC -THEY GOT LOST (dan miller didn't play on this) -TWISTING /THE FAMOUS POLKA (after linny played his parts he moved off to teh side and backstage while flans and the dans had their "solo's") -SHE'S AN ANGEL -WORKING UNDERCOVER FOR THE MAN (right before this someone in the audience yelled out "you suck" in the middle of one of flans' speeches... anyways flans stops mid sentence and was like here's a song by a band called "you suck") -SHOEHORN WITH TEETH (hickey's the man on the glockenspeil!) -SUBLIMINAL /OLDER (the lights dimmed for this one) -JAMES K POLK (flans totally wandered off the stage during this one and at the end they all bowed perfectly in sync.) not to mention the confetti cannon. -S~E~X~X~Y (yeahyeah to the ladies) -SPY (at the begining of this song linnell was totally amused with the lights and was just staring at the ceiling and watching the lights go around. Flans directed the improv.) /TAMBO (MR. TAMBORINE MAN) /LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE (complete with the stick. ) -flans says, "message to the band" "we're gonna skip the next song" i yelled out "NO" and he's like "YES!" "because it's too similar to the last one we played" (the song was supposed to be SHE's ACTUAL SIZE). -I PALINDROME I -flans said that he wanted to play a song they hadn't played in a few months and then tokd dan miller that he didn't know the song but to just play some groovy jazz (which he immediately did but walked off stage before the song). -PET NAME -PARTICLE MAN (the went into kumbaya.. this was *the best* version of the song i had ever heard, with dan miller too... and that;s sayin something considering my large bootleg collection) -"we play songs, really good songs, lots of songs" -WHISTLING IN THE DARK (flans is a cutie with the bass drum. anyways he took his glasses off at the end of the song and told weinkauf to hold 'em...) -WHY DOES THE SUN SHINE? (despite our yelling out "and estrogen" linnell didn't mess up. -BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (hehee... this one was funny.. everyone was participating but everyone was sooo into it that even after the song had ended and no one was playing the audience was chanting "PEOPLE PEOPLE" flansburhg looked up right at the time they normally announce who has won and says "we're gonna be discussing tthat one in teh bux" -GUITAR VOCODER! (this vocoder pat was hillarious. John Linnell started talking into the vocoder during dan weinkauf's solo..."DAN YOU KICK ASS, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?, YOUR SHIT'S ON FIRE, YOU'RE KILLING ME." which was odd for me to hear since i had never really noticed linnell cuzzing that much (even on all the bootlegs). -"everybody Conga" -NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN. (mike the bass player of MS got into the line which was cool but couldn't get back) * ------------------------------- -DR. WORM (while linny was playing the accordion, dan miller put his guitar up and played the keyboards.) -here's an educational song, we make you learn the facts MAMMAL (dan miller didn't play on this one) -HOW CAN I SING LIKE A GIRL? * -------------------------------- -Rick Rivera (sp?) brought the puppet heads out for EXQUISITE DEAD GUY -ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE). so uhm, when they got off stage i ran up to the front to try to get a set-list but rick was beign a ho and gave 'em to just about everyone else around me. I offered to buy one from somebody but they turned me down (stupid them!). Anyways, i said my goodbye's to everyone there and all the new people i had met (hey jason! eric! jeff! and all those other people that knew all my old buds from like middle school). I saw micahel talking to some people in the 21+ side so i waved goodbye and headed out side... unfortunately it took me about 5 minutes to get from the stage to the front doors cuz there were soooo many people! But when i walked outside guess who was there to greet me? hehee Michael! So he handed me a piece of paper all folded up... and we talked for a bit mroe, i told him i'd try to make it out to the bowery shows (yeah we all know how many itmes i've tried ot make it to a show in NYC and then how many times it's actually happened) but he said if i made out there that he's in the phone book :) Anyways so we said our goodbyes and the "you rock" "no, no, you're in the band, YOU rock" kinda stuff and i headed the whole 3 blocks back home. I had totally forgotten that i was holding this paper in my hand till i got back to the car only to find that he had given me TMBG's set-list! :) Anyways, Michael Shelley and company made my night. I would highly HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest buying any of his CD's: -TOO MANY MOVIES (the latest cd) -HALF EMPTY (the old cd) and -CHEEKY MONKEY'S "Four Arms To Hold You" i thought it was odd that they were selling mono puff t-shirts but hey, i wasn't gonna complain. I saw more people buying those than TMBG ones. They also had a lot of the old singles for sale on CS. not to mention WDTSS? on vinyl. sadly i didn't see any listies there :( where were all you kiddies? i'll prolly add more later (can you believe there's more?) when i'm not still in shock :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 02:04:53 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: SLC vs. denver Message-ID: <19980917.020912.16894.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> told you i had more... >when they turned on the pre-show ambient music, i noticed it was alice >cooper. (no more mr. nice guy, billion-dollar babies, etc.) they were playing this right before the johns came on.. it was cool cuz everyone was singing along.. i was amused :) >and then michael shelley started playing, and somehow managed to kill >my >mood. i came in with a completely open mind about him, thinking to >myself >"well, if They like him enough to take him on tour with 'em, there >must be >something to it." but, at least in this context, i couldn't tell what >it >was. i'm not sure how much to blame on him, and how much to blame on >the >sound guy, you're ripping my heart out! :( but yes, i agree, it was too loud to understand the lyrics if you didn't already know them. their cd's however, are excellent, it's not loud and the lyrics are cool. :) > only parts of "surfer joanie" uh.... heh... surfer joan... for >those >who are keeping track of this sort of thing, flans was wearing a lime >green shirt with a short sleeves and a collar. linnell was wearing a >plain t-shirt that was either dark blue or black; it was hard to tell. flans was in a blue colored flannell shirt, sleeves partially rolled up. Linnell in a blue t-shirt that didn't look too good on him, and some jeans, along with *gasp* WHITE cons now (what happened to the green ones?!) >(incidentally, after seeing linnell in person, i just have to say: >hank the angry drunken dwarf, my ass. *linnell* should have been #1 >on ugh.... my friends were so scared of him. i think he gets creepier and creepier looking every time i see him. > then >they >relaunched, with linnell playing the chime noise on his keyboard. >moshing >and pass-the-dude ensued immediately. i don't think i saw a single person crowd-surfing... much less any moshing. i guess it may have something to do with the fact that about 2/3 of the audience was like 25+ i think moshing is a pre-teen thing (it was for me). i have to say that we have a fine, >foxy >crew of roadies here with us tonight. i think rick is a hotty, does that count for anything? :) i snagged some confetti, but i >can't >find it now. :( i don't know what could have happened. heh, i grabed a grip of it... but i had to pick up all the shredded money off the floor... (am i obsessed?) > >linnell: "this is the one song that we sing that has a very mild swear >word in it. i think if you're under 13, you may have to actually >leave >the concert." >flans: "we're going to jail." (he then said something with "fuck" in >it, >that i didn't quite catch. the audience loved it.) hahaa... let's laugh at the utah-ans! :) hahaaa! > why the smell of dan miller on the bass, linnell did this in denver too... oddly enough he fricked up the lines at the end of the song too... just singing them all totally out of order. >except that linnell kept testing the spotlight guy with his puppet >head. yeah, both flansy and linny were... flans went out, more or less into the audience and let people "touch the puppet head" take it easy, JOrdaN "she loves him like a rollercoaster" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 02:24:06 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: D-Town Show - 9/16/98 Message-ID: <19980917.022412.14038.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> oh geez... what does this make, like eight posts in the past 10 minutes... i just re-read that message... i apologize for all of the errors (spelling/ grammatical (heh... he's like, she's like / and everything else) i'm really tired, i don't function well... >BEST PART OF THE DAY, BEFORE THE SHOW: heh, i forgot to mention that they gave me a free promo cd version of "too may movies" and a bunch of postcards and stickers and shtuff :) > and i headed the whole 3 blocks back >home. I had totally forgotten that i was holding this paper in my >hand till i got back to the car only to find that he had given me >TMBG's set-list! :) when i say the car, i meant rachel's... i really had very little need to drive (hehee... yeah, i can't make it three blocks all by myself.) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3600FCD2.1A47DF65@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:13:10 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: SLC: three dans plus two johns equals a full house... (LONG) J Kuemmerle wrote: >18. whistling in the dark flans played the big bass drum on this. they barely started playing the song, when linnell noticed that the audience was singing it at the top of their collective lungs and stopped the band: "whoa. i have only one word for you and it's not even a word. whoa." after the appropriate pause, they proceeded with the song.> Why was he whoaing people? I thought they liked to see non violent enthusiam from the crowd. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <2443403d.360111e0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:42:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands i've been thinking of this lately, and theres only one thing i can think of once at the mall at a "costume shop" i found this kind of rubber skull mask that you can put on your face, and its mouth can move with yours and everything! it was all white, and it comes with paint so you can paint what you want on the skull. THEY skull! I'm gonna be the THEY skull! BWAHAHAHA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:39:01 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: whoa... Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Bongo wrote: > flans played the big bass drum on this. they barely started playing the > song, when linnell noticed that the audience was singing it at the top of > their collective lungs and stopped the band: "whoa. i have only one word > for you and it's not even a word. whoa." after the appropriate pause, > they proceeded with the song.> > > > Why was he whoaing people? I thought they liked to see non violent enthusiam from the > crowd. the impression i got was more 'awe at the level of enthusiasm' rather than 'cut that out.' --jim kuemmerle, who's wearing his 'music self-played' shirt today... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36014C4C.194AB8D5@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:52:14 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective on DAS K.C. wrote: > I just listened to the wacked-out version of "She was a Hotel Detective" > that's now on Dialasong.com. Have any of you heard it before? Although > far from the original, I like it. You all should give it a listen > yourselves. Is it the song from "Back To Skull"? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36014D6E.1C29D39F@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:57:03 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: factory showroom sessions mr.train@juno.com wrote: > On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:08:25 PDT "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" > writes: > >Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > > >> And to those who have heard On the Drag on DASOnline, cherish it > >>(or be glad they changed it), since that's probably the last we'll > ever > >>hear of that version. :) > > > >I haven't heard it. What so special about it? > > It is TOTALLY ROCKIN!!!! THAT'S WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT IT!!!! > I love this song! I was sad to hear they changed it into a folksy > number... is that right? folksy? So the version on Dial-A-Song is the rockin' version, not the folksy one? I've heard a few of the rockin' versions, but not the folksy one. > Well, I think that's what I heard... Wasn't that during the Eric > Schermerhermermurmerhorn years? > I don't know why this list hated Eric so... I didn't mind him... He was pretty good at what he did, but I'm not sure he fit into TMBG that well. I didn't care much for the guitar-heavy sound of Factory Showroom. I'm not really a major Eric-hater either, though. > For what it's worth I think the > studio ver. of this song SUCKS... I like it live much better... The only live version I've heard sounds extremely similar to the studio version (which I think is very good). Perhaps They've changed it somewhat. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36014EED.B427227D@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:03:26 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: SLC J Kuemmerle wrote: > 4. the famous polka (instrumental rock -- very hard sound -- it took me a > while to recognize it!) Instrumental rock? You mean instrumental polka, I would suppose. > 16. i palindrome i > > linnell: "this is the one song that we sing that has a very mild swear > word in it. Well, actually, it's not the only TMBG song with a minor swear word. It was probably the only one performed at that particular concert, though. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36014DAD.F6680463@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:58:07 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: High School Yearbook leonard helfgott wrote: > let me guess their aversion to the first line of Howl. the word naked was > unsuitable. No, I think their objection was to "my." Or maybe "by." -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980917114134.006b5350@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:41:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Hotel Detective on DAS At 10:52 AM 9/17/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Is it the song from "Back To Skull"? Yup. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:50:53 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: eric shermerhorn Message-ID: <19980917.095128.10422.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >> Well, I think that's what I heard... Wasn't that during the Eric >> Schermerhermermurmerhorn years? >> I don't know why this list hated Eric so... I didn't mind him... > >He was pretty good at what he did, but I'm not sure he fit into TMBG >that >well. I didn't care much for the guitar-heavy sound of Factory >Showroom. >I'm not really a major Eric-hater either, though. i thought he was really cool, but i agree... he didn't fit in with TMBG too well. I really dig having Dan Miller in the band tho... he rocks and it's not that "guitar heavy sound" that you get all throughout FS at all. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:03:21 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: SLC famous polka Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > J Kuemmerle wrote: > > > 4. the famous polka (instrumental rock -- very hard sound -- it took me a > > while to recognize it!) > > Instrumental rock? You mean instrumental polka, I would suppose. polka? maybe it used to be; it certainly wasn't tuesday night. it didn't have that polka boom-chuck feel to it; it was more like a thrash boomboomboomboomboomboomboomboom. i could almost imagine animal (the muppet) singing: "DA FAMOUS PERSON WEAR THE SAME SIZE WATER SKIS AS MEEEE..." in a fast screaming monotone... like i said before -- it took me several bars to recognize it as being the famous polka... --jim kuemmerle, totally rockin'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:05:59 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: typical "newbie" greeting... Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, none of your damn business wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I've only been subscribed to this list a couple of days now, so plese bear > with me. well, if nobody else has taken this yet, let me be the first to welcome you to the list! it's always nice to see... uh... read... a new face! :) > First off, let me say I'm amazed at the sheer volume of tmbg knowledge on > this list. There are songs and factoids I've never even heard of floating > around here. And to think I'm considered the tmbg expert among my > friends...I feel so inadequate...*sob* i have two words for you: FAQ. :) the great repository of tmbg knowledge in the universe, for newbie and list veteran alike. i can't remember the exact address, but you can get to it through http://www.tmbg.org... practically the only thing missing from the FAQ is "who's mike leffel?". oh -- i almost forgot -- also see the 'early years faq' and the 'who sings what list'... all three are extremely informative... > Finally, I apologize to everyone else for taking up list space. I feel > kind of like I've walked into a party where everyone knows everyone else, > except for me. Is that a normal thing? Jeez, I'm paranoid... yeah, 'snormal. :) but don't worry; we're generally a very welcoming, accepting bunch of people. i've been on this list a little over a year myself, and have met quite a number of people through it who are very much worth the effort to get to know. don't be afraid to post new topics or participate in the discussion -- that's the best way to get to feeling like a part of the goings-on. --jim kuemmerle, who's wasted bandwidth with things sooooo much less relevant than the introduction of a new listie... ;) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36015FB7.45DB1638@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:15:04 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > J Kuemmerle wrote: > > > > > 4. the famous polka (instrumental rock -- very hard sound -- it took me a > > > while to recognize it!) > > > > Instrumental rock? You mean instrumental polka, I would suppose. > > polka? maybe it used to be; it certainly wasn't tuesday night. it didn't > have that polka boom-chuck feel to it; it was more like a thrash > boomboomboomboomboomboomboomboom. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that polkas are done in 2:4 time, while rock songs are done in 4:4 time. If it was done in 2:4 time, it was probably a polka, even if didn't sound like a typical one. If it wasn't, then I guess it wasn't technically "The Famous Polka." "The Famous Rock Song That Used To Be A Polka," perhaps? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:36:15 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka -- what *is* this 'polka' thing? Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that polkas are done in 2:4 > time, while rock songs are done in 4:4 time. If it was done in 2:4 > time, it was probably a polka, even if didn't sound like a typical one. you're right about the 2:4 vs. 4:4 bit, but 2:4 alone doesn't make it a polka. (in science-speak, i'd call it "necessary but not sufficient".) the primary characteristic of a polka that gives it its polkaness (polkahood? polkacity? whatever...) is the emphasis on both beats 1 & 2, with a second, significantly lighter emphasis on the up-beats of 1 & 2, making one bar of polka sound like "boom-chuck, boom-chuck" or, if you'd prefer, "oompa, loompa". (suddenly, i get a mental image of gene wilder dressed in funky clothes polka-ing around a candy factory...) anyway, the version i heard performed the other night *was* in 2:4, but the feel was more like 4:8, and the emphasis was pretty much equal between all four eighth notes, making it pretty far removed from full polkadom... > If it wasn't, then I guess it wasn't technically "The Famous Polka." > "The Famous Rock Song That Used To Be A Polka," perhaps? maybe we should refer to it by " 'O' "? + <---(bad imitation of v the Prince symbol) --jim kuemmerle, who felt like he'd swallowed some of the fizzy lifting drink before TMBG got on stage... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:44:37 -0700 Message-ID: <00043B9D.C21427@broder.com> From: Courtney_Patubo@broder.com (Courtney Patubo) Subject: Re:TMBG: whoa... One note I forgot to add to the SF show: During "Whistling in the Dark" (the opening song for this show), Flans was no where to be seen, but when his bass drum kicked in, we all saw the spotlight shining on him up in the balcony, thumping away... did he do this in other shows as well? I thought it was great! -- C o u r t n e y L. P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org (home) * cpatubo@broder.com (work) ICQ# 3762743 * http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "The following sentence is false. The preceeding sentence is true." ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: whoa... Author: J Kuemmerle Date: 9/17/98 8:39 AM On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Bongo wrote: > flans played the big bass drum on this. they barely started playing the > song, when linnell noticed that the audience was singing it at the top of > their collective lungs and stopped the band: "whoa. i have only one word > for you and it's not even a word. whoa." after the appropriate pause, > they proceeded with the song.> > > > Why was he whoaing people? I thought they liked to see non violent enthusiam from the > crowd. the impression i got was more 'awe at the level of enthusiasm' rather than 'cut that out.' --jim kuemmerle, who's wearing his 'music self-played' shirt today... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:55:46 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: SLC: three dans plus two johns equals a full house... (LONG) Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Bongo wrote: When he did this it was absolutely hilarious, every one at the show started to sing during the intro and linnell was making fun of us. > > J Kuemmerle wrote: > > >18. whistling in the dark > > flans played the big bass drum on this. they barely started playing the > song, when linnell noticed that the audience was singing it at the top of > their collective lungs and stopped the band: "whoa. i have only one word > for you and it's not even a word. whoa." after the appropriate pause, > they proceeded with the song.> > > > Why was he whoaing people? I thought they liked to see non violent enthusiam from the > crowd. > > -B O N G O > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:56:00 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re:TMBG: whoa... Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Courtney Patubo wrote: > During "Whistling in the Dark" (the opening song for this show), Flans > was no where to be seen, but when his bass drum kicked in, we all saw > the spotlight shining on him up in the balcony, thumping away... did he > do this in other shows as well? I thought it was great! wow! i *wish* he'd done that! in SLC, he just stayed on stage, well within sight the whole time. i guess he was afraid all the rabid children in the audience would tear him to little bits... ;) --jim kuemmerle, who's a bloodthirsty cyborg with a taste for human flesh... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36010C3E.4A2B@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:19:20 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Wonkamania? is this the onset of a non-tmbg discussion about that movie? (which is pretty cool by the way...the Johns should do their own versions of some of the oompa loompa songs) That's 2 posts in the last week related to it (the polka one and "I've got a golden ticket"). Is this a sign or just a coincidence? -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <1bec44b8.36014227@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:08:55 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Wonkamania? > That's 2 posts in the last week related to it (the polka one and "I've > got a golden ticket"). Is this a sign or just a coincidence? "We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of the dream" Arwen "Coincidence? I think NOT!" AnaNg Schnozberry, who's ever heard of a schnozberry? ^_~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:12:13 -0700 Message-ID: <00043DD4.C21427@broder.com> From: Courtney_Patubo@broder.com (Courtney Patubo) Subject: TMBG: MP3s Not to be redundant, but if anyone has an MP3 site, could you e-mail me with the address? You don't need to post it to the list... danke - toonie -- C o u r t n e y L. P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org (home) * cpatubo@broder.com (work) ICQ# 3762743 * http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "The following sentence is false. The preceeding sentence is true." ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:20:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka (long - about time signature stuff) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Sep-98 Re: TMBG: SLC famous polka by Nathan Mulac DeHoff@geoc > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that polkas are done in 2:4 time, > while rock songs are done in 4:4 time. If it was done in 2:4 time, it was > probably a polka, even if didn't sound like a typical one. If it wasn't, > then I guess it wasn't technically "The Famous Polka." "The Famous Rock > Song That Used To Be A Polka," perhaps actually, 2/4 vs. 4/4 is mostly arbitrary. I've heard a show where Flans is talking about Hide Away Folk Family, and says "There's this part in the middle... it's 8 measures long... or 16, depending on how you divide it." Although the drum pattern of the song indicates 4/4, rather than 2/4... this give me the impression that they pretty much just play songs as they see fit. Sometimes, though, it makes sense to do things in 2/4 instead - like if you want *extreme* emphasis on every other beat, while in 4/4, you'd get that emphasis on the first, but not as much on the third. Polkas can be in either 4/4 or 2/4, or even 2/2, although that's often reserved for fast marches (2/2 was originally used because the band leader couldn't wave his baton fast enough in 4/4, so they 'cut' the time to allow him normal movements but the same general pace of the song) things to think about: The Famous Polka has a drum intro in concert - a fairly distinctive one - da da dada dada. Four distinct beats, hence 4/4. She's an Angel is in 4/4, but the refrains have an inverted drum and bass pattern (bass - short on 2 and 4, long on 1 and 3, drums - snare on 1 and 3, bass on 2 and 4) Whistling in the Dark is quite clearly in 4/4, except for 3 measures. There's a part in the beginning of the refrain "There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and I've often..." where the beats are: ONLY, THING, KNOW, HOW, WELL, AND, OFTEN... but OFTEN should line up with ONLY, and therefore must be at the beginning of a measure, so WELL and AND are one measure in 2/4 time. The Bells are Ringing is in 4/4 except for the ending of each segment. "They hear the instructions, they follow directions, they travel great distances to the SOUND," where SOUND is beat 1, rest on 2, and start over. How Can I Sing Like a Girl does something similar at the end of the first verse. Either of these could be easily simplified into 2/4 for the sake of convenience, but I'm pretty sure they're in 4/4. Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, No One Knows My Plan, Subliminal, and She's Actual Size are all in 4/4, but it's hard to tell sometimes. (the latter two use triplets a lot, and the first ones are just wackily syncopated) Where Your Eyes Don't Go is in 6/8, but the original acoustic live version had the "Where your eyes don't go, a part of you..." refrains in 4/4. Letterbox is in 6/8 but they play it in 3/4. The Severe Tire Damage Theme and About Me are also both in 6/8, as are Dead, Stormy Pinkness and I'll Sink Manhattan. I believe the live, slow version of Meet James Ensor was occasionally performed in a very slow 6/8. Space Suit and When it Rains it Snows are the only TMBG songs in 3/4. (Actually, I think I remember a show where they said that Stormy Pinkness was 3/4 rather than 6/8, but the pulsing of the keyboard in it is to a 6/8 beat) this has been your TMBG time signature lesson for the day... :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:50:37 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: SF show Message-ID: >> I was just wondering, are any of y'all listies going to the 9/26 Moxy Fruvous show in Seattle? They are finally coming to Seattle, it seems like every other tour they've had has gone from Vancouver BC straight to like San Francisco or something... >> You *must* be joking. :) Fruvous haven't been to California in four years. Speaking of which, anyone going to the SF show? I can't wait!!! >> incidentally, those of you who've said "people won" -- how do you determine who won? i didn't hear the johns say anything about it... >> In my case, John L. said "The people win" at the end of the song. I don't know if that's how it's usually done, though, since that was my first Battle for Planet of the Apes. >> Finally, I apologize to everyone else for taking up list space. I feel kind of like I've walked into a party where everyone knows everyone else, except for me. Is that a normal thing? Jeez, I'm paranoid... >> Hey, a polite one! Let's keep her. :) I was at the SF show, too (I was the chick in the The Man shirt), sorry I didn't see you. Welcome to the list! --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 03:05:42 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Message-ID: <19980917.031133.9750.3.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >I myself, after deciding that not enough people would relate a zoot >suit >to the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, am dressing up as Micheal Myers >(Halloween, not Wayne's World). I've already bought the mask and >everything! taking the easy way out, eh? I don't blame you, I trick or treated till I was 16. When I was younger I put a lot of thought into my costume but the last few I just bought a Jason mask and wore it around :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 03:05:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Message-ID: <19980917.031133.9750.2.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >TMBG character, or group member for that matter, which would you be, >and what would the costume be made up of/ look like? I've been on and >off this listfor a year and a half, but I don't remeber this question >ever coming up, or maybe iot's my chronic... what's the word/s... oh >yeah... memory loss :P Particle Man of course! I would use the atom constume (for those of you not familiar, it is a ball suit (many balls together (the nucleus)), with wires coming out of it with smaller balls attatched that bounce around when you walk (electrons). But let it be known that if Triangle Man shows up I'll beat his ass. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36012A77.4039@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:27:52 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: SF show About the people winning...the Johns say the people always win...no matter how hard they try. Or something like that. It doesn't make a lot of sense with the song, but it can if you twist it enough. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809171921.PAA07700@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:23:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Dallas bootleggers! howdy pardners, I'm all pumped about catching the show in Dallas tomorrow... i was wondering if there are any skilled (or otherwise) bootleggers who are going to attend the show. After my adventure in Kansas City (as fun as it was), i don't think im going to try again... i have too much riding on this show to risk getting kicked out because i suck at bootlegging :) So if anyone out there is going and is more discreet about it than i am, i would love to hear from you.. all of my friends from back home are going to be there and im sure we would all like to have a copy of the show... Oh, and im not trying to encourage you youngsters to do something that could potentially get you in trouble.. this message is meant only for people who are already "corrupt." Thanks, Kris p.s. i will be the guy in the homemade monopuff shirt hanging out with a REALLY tall skinny guy. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7698c668.36016cf9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:11:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands i havn't dressed up or halloween since... the 9th grade... a new friend of mine were gonna go trick or treating as the Sizzler Sisters (characters from Kids in the Hall: 2 insane hyper escaped convicts dressed shoddily as women by wearing wigs, robes, and smudged lipstick), but she didn't follw through with the costume so it was just us walking around costumeless. 2 years ago i carved a pumpkin face as the They skull. came out nice. for a tmbg imaginary costume though... hmm... exquisite dead guy? mr. klaw? purple toupee? :] actually i think i'm going to make a tape like i meant to do last year of tmbg halloweenish / "scary" songs.. for the hell of it. because i'm a mix-tape sorta gal. let's see, we have... dead, exquisite dead guy, hall of heads, till my head falls off, dig my grave, meet james ensor, swing is a word, turn around, put your hand inside thepuppet head, rabid child, chess piece face, you'll mis me, where your eyes don't go, become a robot, mr klaw, hope that i get old before i die, a few assorted fingertips, etc etc.. :) ~sarah ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:36:30 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: ? Message-id: <01J1X07G81B699E0JU@cc.usu.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: The San Diego show Message-ID: On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > my question is what kind of a venue lets you take a sword (be it plastic > or not) into a show? When you say skull make-up do you mean you wrote > "THEY" on your forehead or what? > Well it was basically an enclosed streetfair, and my sword might have been confiscated were the people at the gate not terribly overworked. When I say Skull I mean white face with black nose, eyes sockets, drawn on teeth, and "THEY" on my forehead Sarah "paying for her ingenuity with pimples" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:09:59 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: time! is marching on! and time! is still marching on! Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, No One Knows My Plan, Subliminal, and > She's Actual Size are all in 4/4, but it's hard to tell sometimes. (the > latter two use triplets a lot, and the first ones are just wackily > syncopated) i usually think of 'nightgown' as being in 8/8: 3+3+2/8... > Where Your Eyes Don't Go is in 6/8, but the original acoustic live > version had the "Where your eyes don't go, a part of you..." refrains in > 4/4. where were the emphases in that, just out of curiosity? | where your eyes don't go, a | part of you is hovering | | | 3 | | | |-----| |----| |---| | |----| |---| |--|-| | ? | * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * | > Letterbox is in 6/8 but they play it in 3/4. huh? > The Severe Tire Damage Theme and About Me are also both in 6/8, the intro to 'about me', though, is in a slow 7/4 (2+3+2)/4... > (Actually, I think I remember a show where they said that Stormy > Pinkness was 3/4 rather than 6/8, but the pulsing of the keyboard in it > is to a 6/8 beat) i don't know how they perform it live, but the studio version is definitely 6/8 rather than 3/4 -- listen to where the bass falls... --jim kuemmerle, who's all for the wider usage of 3+2+2/8... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3064700c.36018c65@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:25:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: ? >Just a question, but why is Meet JAmes Ensor such a "scary" song? "such" is extreme, but... "dig him up and shake his hand..." c'mon! (john henson voice) it's fun! :) sarah ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <1810d987.36018c85@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:26:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa... In a message dated 98-09-17 12:58:00 EDT, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: >On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Courtney Patubo wrote: > > > During "Whistling in the Dark" (the opening song for this show), > > wow! i *wish* he'd done that! I just wish they'd done that song when I saw them in DC a couple of weeks ago. Come to think of it..... in all the times I have seen them they've NEVER done that song. Reading all the posts here about their last few west country shows, I can't help but feeling rather jealous. They've been doing a MUCH better setlist than they did here. cheese! jennifer (the first time post-er/new list-er, who eventually will get 'round to making a more formal-esque introduction.. eventually.) ------------------------------ From: NoNonie@aol.com Message-ID: <2b49aeae.3601954f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:03:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: college i remember reading once that one of the johns went to college in ohio. does anyone know which john and which college it was??? ~~~Connie~~~ ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <550fbf86.360199ac@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:22:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: ? >Just a question, but why is Meet JAmes Ensor such a "scary" song? I don't get it< i'd have to agree with this statement. james ensor isnt scary! its fun! james k. polk, now thats scary. he is a politician after all. dark horse and what not. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980917194918.007b6e60@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:49:18 -0400 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: TMBG: Flood? Hey, I'd been introduced to TMBG a long long time ago when they had those "video's" on Tiny Toons. At the time I really thought those were great songs, but supposed they were just songs the writers had made up for the show. Once I reached the age of listening to good music, I had completely forgotten about ever hearing of TMBG, until one of my friends got me to go see Them at Mayo Island in Richmond, on the Factory Showroom Tour. Although I couldn't feel bad about it at the time, Linell had a cold then and couldn't sing. I guess that's why whenever I hear a song, I can only picture Flansburgh singing it. So, anyway, after I saw Them, I went out and bought the tape of Flood, and thought it was amazing. So amazing in fact that I didn't believe They could even write another album that was a great as Flood. However, the following Channukah, or birthday, I can't remember which, I asked for Factory Showroom, and I was just blown away. Then, my new friend, who was a big TMBG fan, lent me Apollo 18, and once again, I couldn't believe the consistency of greatness could be upheld through all these albums. When I went back to listen to Flood, it just didn't sound good at all. I don't know. Since my awakening, I've gotten all their albums, and yet, Flood still remains my least liked one. I can't choose which album is the best, but I know for sure the Flood is not. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? And also, I was wondering if anyone could even attempt to pick their favorite song. I know I've tried, and I know I've gone nearly insane trying to decide. Ben "I was out by myself in the graveyard, I was doing an interpretive dance"-TMBG (The first time I actually heard these lyrics, I thought about them, and just started laughing hysterically. I mean can you imagine a guy just dancing all crazy like in a grave yard?) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:39:49 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: one more parade Message-ID: I forgot to tell the list when this happened, but a couple of months ago, at Amoeba records on Telegraph Avenue in Berkely, I was looking for some used cds. When I went to the TMBG section, there was a cd entitled "40 years of electra records" which featured the TMBG version of one more parade. I considered buying it, but I don't like the thought of owning a cd with any song by "The Cure" on it, so I didn't. Has anyone else ever seen this cd? Cap'n Helfgott * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- just remember kids, you and the Cap'n, make it Happ'n (Cap'n Crunch commercial) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:42:37 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood? Message-ID: I think that you're experience is exactly the same as most people's on the list, as Flood was by far their most popular album. I know that I had the same experience (aside from thinking Flood was great, I kind of got into them to be different, and then started liking them) Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980917194419.006a6a08@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:44:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: one more parade I bought the sampler CD on-line a couple years back... Most of it sucks. Actually, the Cure song was one of the best on there. I haven't heard the original version of One More Parade, but I personally don't care for the cover, anyway. And the other songs...yikes. It has the worst Pixies performance I've ever heard, and the cover of "TV Eye" is laughably bad. -Adam At 04:39 PM 9/17/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >I forgot to tell the list when this happened, but a couple of months ago, >at Amoeba records on Telegraph Avenue in Berkely, I was looking for some >used cds. When I went to the TMBG section, there was a cd entitled "40 >years of electra records" which featured the TMBG version of one more >parade. I considered buying it, but I don't like the thought of owning a >cd with any song by "The Cure" on it, so I didn't. Has anyone else ever >seen this cd? >Cap'n Helfgott >--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- >just remember kids, you and the Cap'n, make it Happ'n (Cap'n Crunch >commercial) > > > -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980917234411.012a7b14@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:44:11 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: one more parade At 04:39 PM 9/17/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >I forgot to tell the list when this happened, but a couple of months ago, >at Amoeba records on Telegraph Avenue in Berkely, I was looking for some >used cds. When I went to the TMBG section, there was a cd entitled "40 >years of electra records" which featured the TMBG version of one more >parade. I considered buying it, but I don't like the thought of owning a >cd with any song by "The Cure" on it, so I didn't. Has anyone else ever >seen this cd? WTF? You no like The Cure? God. Yes, I've seen it. LDB -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Maxx Webpage - The Maxx IDA (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:46:04 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: one more parade Message-ID: damn that was a quick response. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36016C4D.6C86@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:08:44 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Let me know what you put on your tape...cause I'd like to make one but I really suck at making mixed things like that...it seems never know what order to put the songs in, and whatever order I decide on makes it sound like crap. Thanks. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36016CFE.6B75@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:11:42 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Actually, if I don't bring out one of my old costumes, I'm going to be either a Dashiki Lover or a Backstabbing Liar. There are pluses to both, you know what they are for Dashiki, and if I'm a Backstabbing Liar, no one will no it cause I'll probably lie to them or something. Then when everyone asks me why I lie about everything, I can whip out my super-huge knife or something. Or maybe I will bring out one of those old costumes... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36016DB3.3673@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:14:42 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: one more parade Well thanks for bringing back memories with that quote, Cap'n. I dated a girl a couple years ago that was swim team captain, and that's what most people called her. So obviously, I heard that commercial phrase a lot, which wasn't bad, just annoying after a while. My apologies for telling such a silly and non-tmbg related story. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:52:47 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: one more parade Message-id: <3601A0CF.5DF9@rollins.edu> It's called Rubaiyat, by the way, and it was released as a promo set on tape and cd by Elektra in 1990, with current Elektra bands covering older Elektra songs. You'd think it'd be rare, but I've seen it at least 3 or 4 different times in a local used record store. And yes, most of it sucks. But I like One More Parade,. the Cure cover of Hello I Love You is great (not to start a flame war or anything, but they're my other favorite band), and you gotta love the Sugarcubes' cover of Motorcycle Mama... -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-15 ******************************