Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 17 Sunday, 20 September 1998 Today's Topics: (none) Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Non-TMBG: Maidenheads TMBG: Dallas show (9/18) Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic TMBG: TMBG TMBG: story TMBG: Maidenheads and Mrs. Train Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic TMBG: Side projects Re: TMBG: story TMBG: Austin show TMBG: 3rd call, dinner gathering b4 chicago show 10/3 Re: TMBG: Side projects Re: TMBG: Side projects TMBG: High School Yearbook. Re: TMBG: Side projects Re: TMBG: story Re: TMBG: Austin show Re: TMBG: Side projects TMBG: mp3 addition TMBG: Recent setlists NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Re: TMBG: Side projects Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Re: TMBG: Side projects Re: TMBG: Side projects Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic soul for all eter Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic TMBG: Re:Sensurround lyrics TMBG: another flansburgh dream Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves TMBG: austin show... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:21:27 -0500 (CDT) From: "Albert B. McWilliams" Message-ID: hey yall just got back from TMBG in Dallas... Rockin' show. THE PEOPLE WON!!! conga conga Al "sticky" mcwilliams amcwilli@mail.smu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:44:52 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible hands Message-ID: I did the same kind of thing, only I was the "Bill" from the schoolhouse rocks video "I'm just a Bill". Cap'n Helfgott, who plans on going trick-or-treating until he's thirty. On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > > > This year I'd like to dress up as a TMBG character. OK, here's a FUN > > list question, If you could be any TMBG character, or group member for > > that matter, which would you be, and what would the costume be made up > > of/ look like? > > this has got me thinking. i think i want to be a human skull on the > ground. > > i would have my head all painted up like a skull head, complete with > 'THEY', a big square of cardboard on my shoulders, grass and other groundy > things stuck to the cardboard, (maybe autumn leaves would be better!), and > black fabric hanging from the cardboard, concealing the rest of my body. > > --jim kuemmerle, who didn't dress up as anything last year just for lack > of ideas. it was only the second time in my life that i didn't dress up. > :( > > j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191021.GAA04830@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 05:22:06 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Maidenheads >> Alternate ending: I grabbed her head (not her maiden head, you > >Maiden head?!@# What the hell? That's a new one for me. Then you, my friend, have problems. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191042.GAA05801@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 05:42:20 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Dallas show (9/18) I just got home to Austin from the Dallas show. It was an amazing show. They both had great energy, and although I was prepared to dislike Michael Shelley from what most people have been saying, I actually enjoyed him. I had bought his CD earlier, and thought it was all right -- it didn't bother me, but didn't especially interest me. But when I heard him live, I thought he was much better. I also felt this way about Lincoln, except the events occurred in the reverse order: I heard them live, loved them, bought the CD and thought it lacked something that their live performance had. But, I still love the CD, because it reminds me of the live performances. In any case, I liked Michael Shelley, so I didn't find myself impatiently thinking "I wish this guy would hurry up so TMBG could play". And they were great showman -- a lot of banter with the crowd, the bassist and Michael traded guitars during Surfer Joan, long drum solo in that song, crazy guitar solos, etc. They really were a lot of fun. Here's a basic rundown of the evening: Got to Deep Ellum Live at about 7pm (doors were at 8pm). Already there was a fairly long line (perhaps 40 people) which expanded a lot due to people arriving late and meeting friends at the front of the line (NOT cool). At any rate, the doors were promptly opened at 8pm, at which point I discovered that the Nightmare Dial-A-Song shirt was now sold in grey. I bought it and their green hat. Then we moved to the stage and ended up about 4 or 5 ranks back from the stage. This was my 10th TMBG show, so I didn't feel the urgent need to be right up front -- I was willing to hang back, enjoy myself, and not constantly fight to maintain my position at the very front. Plus, not being female and possessing no breasts, I probably wouldn't have been able to get up there. Michael Shelley came on at 9:10pm and played for about 30 minutes. I can't remember all the songs he played, but among them were "Surfer Joan", "Too Many Movies", "Baby's In A Bad Mood" and "Think With Your Heart". At 10:10pm, TMBG took the stage. As I said, they were very energetic and it was great. Paul Swan (who is on the list) snagged a set list, so he can post what they played in order. Here is what they played in no particular order: NYC (I know this was first) The Guitar The Conga Song No One Knows My Plan Famous Polka (btw it didn't sound unusual to me, as someone had previously discussed) She's An Angel Mammal ("a song about facts that you don't need to know" Linnell) Birdhouse In Your Soul ("written by Dr. Zaius (sp?)" Linnell) Particle Man Kumbaya (w/in Particle Man) Istanbul (played during 2nd encore) Subliminal (got everyone jumping. Linnell did some fake backwards talk at the end) She's Actual Size (Flans did a long section of the song falsetto and hid behind a riser at the back of the stage. Very good) I Palindrome I ("This is a song about an I Palindrome, and it's called I Palindrome I" Linnell) Lie Still Little Bottle (with the stick, of course. "I was looking in the mirror in my hotel room the other night and noticed that my left bicep had become huge. I just realized why that was." Flans. "It's because the other one had withered." Linnell. "Yes. I'm dying this way" (motions from his right to left side). Flans) Shoehorn With Teeth (glockenspiel) Whistling In The Dark (with Flans' drum) Twisting James K Polk (with cannon. this song began the moshing which was the one bad part of the show, IMO) Spy Why Does The Sun Shine? S-E-X-X-Y ("We know there are a lot of strangers very close around you. This song is dedicated to them." Flans) Exquisite Dead Guy Dr. Worm Working Undercover For The Man (dedicated to Bobby Ewing) They Got Lost Battles For The Planet Of The Apes (People won, of course) Older Mr. Tambourine Man I think that is complete. The show was a little under 2 hours I believe. Paul Swan will hopefully correct any errors I have made. Anyway, it was a great show and I am looking forward to the Austin and Houston shows very much. I'll post a message later today telling what I'll be wearing to the Austin show in case anyone would like to meet me, the living legend. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 05:38:48 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980919.071943.3910.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >>Maiden head?!@# What the hell? That's a new one for me. > >okay, now go and listen to "mrs. train" again. ?? Is that a TMBG song? If so it must be off MIsc T or self-titled (the 2 I don't have) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 05:41:34 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <19980919.071943.3910.1.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) Ok, got a couple more questions for you guys. -Does anybody have the lyrics for the Planet of the Apes songs at the end of STD? -Are the 2 Linnell CDs (State Songs and the New York government cd or whatever it's called) any good? Are they like TMBG or different. By the way, I got the Mono Puff:Unsupervised CD. I can't say I like it all that much. It's not BAD, but it's not that great. It's just a generic alternative rock band with some bizzarre sounds and Flansburg. particle.man@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <77154855.3603cdb5@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:28:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: story hey i am trying to write a story with a bunch of TMBG songs and and using people affiliated with TMBG and i need some ideas on what should be put in and you will get credit when i post it on the list ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191628.MAA23237@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:28:24 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Maidenheads and Mrs. Train >>>Maiden head?!@# What the hell? That's a new one for me. >>okay, now go and listen to "mrs. train" again. >?? Is that a TMBG song? If so it must be off MIsc T or self-titled (the >2 I don't have) It is a TMBG song, but it isn't on an album. It's on the "Back To Skull" EP, which you probably can still find if you look for it. I'd try http://www.gemm.com. I heard of someone finding it recently there (Mike McGuire ), so perhaps he can tell you if they had any more available. GEMM is a good source for a lot of things. You don't have Misc T or self-titled? Then you, my friend, should purchase Then: The Early Years. Why? First of all it contains both the self-titled and Misc T on it, as well as Lincoln. But wait, there's more! It also has 17 (I think the number is 17) unreleased tracks that are unavailable on other CDs (with a few minor exceptions). All of this on two CDs! How can you not own it? Run, do not walk, to your nearest CD store and purchase that bastard now! Harf, Mitch "The clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:31:07 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980919.103113.11062.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEY! >>okay, now go and listen to "mrs. train" again. > >?? Is that a TMBG song? If so it must be off MIsc T or self-titled >(the 2 I don't have) nope... it's off of the "Back to Skull" EP. i believe you can still buy it at record stores everywhere but who knows... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191637.MAA23868@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:37:11 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Side projects >Ok, got a couple more questions for you guys. And I happen to have a couple of answers. Suspicious, don't you think? >-Does anybody have the lyrics for the Planet of the Apes songs at the end >of STD? No, indeed I do not, but I could probably write the down if I had the CD on right now. I think I understand most of the words. Did you have any specific questions? >-Are the 2 Linnell CDs (State Songs and the New York government cd or >whatever it's called) any good? Are they like TMBG or different. The two CDs are State Songs and House of Mayors. I think they are both excellent. State Songs is fairly similar to TMBG, but Linnell plays almost all of the instruments on the CD, so the songs aren't guitar-based as some TMBG songs are. But had the songs appeared on a TMBG album, I don't think they would have been incongruous. As for House of Mayors, it is less similar to TMBG. It has more of a synthesizer-based feel to it (kind of electronic music) and these songs would seem out of place on a TMBG album. A couple of the tracks could probably have fit in as a B-side of a single, but other than that I'd say they are somewhat un-TMBG. Nevertheless, they are great IMO. >By the way, I got the Mono Puff:Unsupervised CD. I can't say I like it >all that much. >It's not BAD, but it's not that great. It's just a generic alternative >rock band with some bizzarre sounds and Flansburg. I can't disagree with you more, but your feelings aren't uncommon. I kind of view Mono Puff as a somewhat more rocking TMBG -- their songs are similar to those by TMBG, but they are *slightly* more mainstream, and they typically are more rock/funk/disco songs. IMO they are songs more likely to be heard on the radio than TMBG. In any case, I think Mono Puff is great, and they were amazing in concert. So there! Harf, Mitch "I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure--that is all agnosticism means." - Clarence Darrow Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191645.MAA24172@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:45:38 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: story At 11:28 AM 9/19/98 -0400, you wrote: >hey i am trying to write a story with a bunch of TMBG songs and and using >people affiliated with TMBG and i need some ideas on what should be put in and >you will get credit when i post it on the list Ok, here's the deal: Frank was a hard-working salesman. He sold haiku on street corners in exchange for hot dogs and bicycle seats -- this naturally limited his market, as he lived in a town where both hot dogs and bicycles (let alone their seats) were a somewhat precious commodity. Frank (our hero) one day realizes that he'll never become rich at this rate, so after a fierce brainstorming session he comes up with the solution. The very next day he was back on his street corner, but now he sells both haiku and limericks, and will accept not only hot dogs and bicycle seats, but also giraffes, conundrums, and LISP interpreters. This increased his business somewhat, for although giraffes and LISP interpreters were hard to come by, there was certainly no shortage of conundrums, although the fact still remained that Frank wrote shitty poetry, which had never helped his business. Then one day Frank got on a bus and left town. He was never heard from again until five years later when he was elected king of the world, at which point he commandeered a rocket ship and went to Neptune. How's that? Harf, Mitch "I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809191649.MAA24712@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:49:46 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Austin show I'll be at the Austin show. I'm about 6'0 tall, shortish brown hair, and I will be wearing a white Dan Bern t-shirt. On the back is a picture of what appears to be a yellow leaf with some red on it, and it says "Dan Bern" in red and "Fifty Eggs" in green. On the front is a caricature of a person drawn with black lines. Come see me and say "Harf". If you hear anyone saying "Harf", chances are it is me. If not, then there are some crazy people out there. I'm also going to the Houston show tomorrow, if anyone from Austin needs a ride. Harf, Mitch "If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." - Irving Layton Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3603E844.5C43B78B@oursquare.com> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:22:12 -0500 From: Neal Shankman Subject: TMBG: 3rd call, dinner gathering b4 chicago show 10/3 Sorry for this repetitive rant, but I'm just trying to build momentum here... The grand total is up to four list-readers gathering at the venerable Melrose Restaurant on Belmont before the 10/3 TMBG show at the Vic. I know there'z more of you out there -- Chicagoland's gotta have around 10 million individuals, and maybe .01 percent listen to TMBG -- so here's the invite again, plain and simple: WHERE: Melrose Restaurant on Belmont Avenue, in Chicago, Illinois. (...immediately east of the El station, one block east of Sheffield, where the Vic is.) WHEN: October 3, around 6 towards 6:30 pm. Probably closer to 6 if you want comfortable time to "max and relax" with your newfound TMBG friends and eat darn good diner food. WHO: Every frickin' list-reader and their friends who are coming to the big Saturday show. Come out of your lurking, ye list lurkers! We got "old" folks (I'm 22). We got "young" folks. It's gonna be a groovy happenin'. Email your RSVP now! Get in on the ground floor! Cause we're all leavin' out the third-floor window, and soon... Be seeing you! Neal Shankman ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:54:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects you can get the lyrics for almost all the songs to tmbg at www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 13:44:24 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects Message-ID: <19980919.135151.14166.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >The two CDs are State Songs and House of Mayors. erg, ya know, i was about to rant about how it's called *HALL* of Mayors (which it, without a doubt, is on my CD). with the final track being titled House of Mayors. But then i went to the latest info club newsletter and there is no doubt that it is called House of Mayors there... Even the Picture of the CD has "house" instead of "hall." I'm suspecting a re-print for all these ones that are getting sold separately through the TMBG info club. So i ask everyone that actually subscribed to the club to see if their's says "hall of mayors" as well. As opposed to all you kiddies that just ordered them separately, that i'm assuming have "house of mayors." maybe i just got a defective copy or something... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:11:17 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: High School Yearbook. Message-ID: I don't believe that anyone said this TMBG quote, so I will, and I believe that it is completely perfect for a high school yearbook. "We saw the world and we're on our way"--dirt bike. Cap'n Helfgott, who plans on using this in his school paper of which he is a reporter for. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:11:54 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects Message-ID: not these ones, they aren't listed anywhere, except #19, which is in the liner notes of STD ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809192213.SAA18199@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:13:29 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: story At 02:56 PM 9/19/98 -0400, you wrote: >that has nothing to do with what i am writing. i said TMBG names and song >titles are words in the story If you don't see the obvious TMBG-ness of the story, then I won't even try to explain it. Read the FAQ. Harf, Mitch "I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure--that is all agnosticism means." - Clarence Darrow Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809192214.SAA18319@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:14:25 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Austin show At 01:50 PM 9/19/98 -0600, you wrote: >>Come see me and say "Harf". If you hear anyone saying "Harf", chances >>are >>it is me. > >Has anyone ever asked you if you're rabid? Oh yes, many times. Hey, a long time ago you mentioned wanting to be a supporter of the Harf project -- still interested? Harf, Mitch "If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." - Irving Layton Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809192215.SAA18464@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:15:52 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects >>The two CDs are State Songs and House of Mayors. > >erg, ya know, i was about to rant about how it's called *HALL* of Mayors > (which it, without a doubt, is on my CD). with the final track being >titled House of Mayors. But then i went to the latest info club >newsletter and there is no doubt that it is called House of Mayors >there... Even the Picture of the CD has "house" instead of "hall." Mine also says Hall of Mayors, but I call it House of Mayors because of the song. And because I am made of turnips. Harf, Mitch "I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:34:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: mp3 addition Message-ID: It's Not My Birthday and Pencil Rain from 6/26/87. I actually ran this through an EQ and some stuff in sound forge and it is way more listenable than it was on the tape. Definiately worth a listen! Also, new pic of flans on the tmbg.net front page. mp3s on #TMBG special offer page... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:40:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: Recent setlists Message-ID: Hey! Any of you people who have been to recent concerts and know the setlists. Please email them to news@tmbg.net and we will add them to the tmbg.net News page that day... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:05:31 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Message-ID: On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > I'll be at the Austin show. > I'm about 6'0 tall, shortish brown hair, and I will be wearing a white Dan > Bern t-shirt. On the back is a picture of what appears to be a yellow leaf > with some red on it, and it says "Dan Bern" in red and "Fifty Eggs" in > green. awww yeah! i just heard my first dan bern about a week ago, and i think i'm hooked. i can't find any cd's around here yet, though; i think i'll have to special-order them... on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've been buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at least the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. anyway, here goes: elliot smith, "xo"... this has got to be the single greatest rock album i've ever heard. right up there with "pet sounds", "bringing it all back home", and "are you experienced?" there is not a weak moment on the whole disc. elliot (formerly of the 'kill rock stars' label) provided a lot of the music for the "good will hunting" soundtrack, and most of that is just him and a guitar. now he's on 'dreamworks', and has been given a studio, and lots of instruments, and his musical genius (and i don't throw that term around lightly) can finally come through in its full scale. negativland, "dispepsi"... buy this album. stick it to the man. (i personally recommend listening to it in a dark room, with one speaker directly on your left, one speaker directly on your right, staring at the album cover, listening straight through from start to finish. after doing that, i then went and drank a blue sky grapefruit soda, made in santa fe, new mexico, sold with next to no advertising budget....) edith frost, "calling over time"... beautiful lyrics, beautiful vocals, and a near zen-like simplicity of arrangement, somewhere between maazy star, patsy cline, and jim hall. she's coming out with a new album sometime in the very near future, and i'm very excited to hear it when it arrives. --jim kuemmerle, who now returns you to your regularly scheduled cola advertising... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:28:03 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects Message-ID: <19980919.172823.13582.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Mine also says Hall of Mayors, but I call it House of Mayors because >of the >song. And because I am made of turnips. that makes two similarites... :) but anyways, does anyone's actually say "house of mayors" like it does on the picture of the info club newletter? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:17:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980919.172540.4526.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >>>okay, now go and listen to "mrs. train" again. >> >>?? Is that a TMBG song? If so it must be off MIsc T or self-titled >>(the 2 I don't have) > >nope... it's off of the "Back to Skull" EP. i believe you can still >buy it at record stores everywhere but who knows... hmmm...never seen it (except in the newsletter, where I THINK I saw it). Coincidentally, I went to 3 music stores today. They all had the same TMBG stuff: Then:TEY, Lincoln, Misc T, Factory Showroom, and Severe Tire Damage. I thought somebody said that that EP's songs could be found elsewhere (on Then or Misc T?) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:23:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects Message-ID: <19980919.172540.4526.2.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >typically are more rock/funk/disco songs. IMO they are songs more Speaking of disco, and this is completely off the subject of this message, I was shocked (and nearly peed my pants laughing) when I heard the disco track on Severe Tire Damage! Those last few songs on the CD (the Planet of the Apes songs) PROVES that TMBG can do any kind of music. I think they should do a few songs that are JUST Jazz (there were a few songs that made me think they could do it...Spy and another one). Disco seems like it would more likely have been done by Primus before TMBG (my other favorite band). And the first Apes song sounds like a lounge-room piano or something. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:56:09 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Side projects Message-ID: On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > I was shocked (and nearly peed my pants laughing) and it's weep day for urine man... > when I heard the disco track on Severe Tire Damage! Those last few > songs on the CD (the Planet of the Apes songs) PROVES that TMBG can do > any kind of music. I think they should do a few songs that are JUST > Jazz (there were a few songs that made me think they could do it...Spy > and another one). for me, there are lots of reasons why i think they can do some JUST jazz stuff: (1) spy, (2) space suit, (3) no one knows my plan, (R) the live version of istanbul, (3) all of john linnell's solo stuff (house/hall/triborough of mayors, and state songs), (6) hall of heads, (8) jessica, (9) she's actual size, (7) narrow your eyes, (7.1) birds fly, (W) the fact that mitchell harding's made entirely of turnips, (I) the lady is a tramp, (N) lie still, little bottle, (G) ana ng, (O) do not forsake me, (!) the fact that They took soul coughing on tour with them for a while, (3) stand on your own head, (e) hearing aid / minimum wage, (3) your racist friend, (pi) nightgown of the sullen moon, (3) mike leffel, (i) it's fun to steal (the album) (3) cowtown, (%) cabbagetown, ($) siftin', (H) hydrogen, (N) nitrogen, (C) carbon, (O) oxygen, (B) boron, (Cl) chloron, (Fl) fluoron, (M) moron, (&) estrogen! > And the first Apes song sounds like a lounge-room piano or something. my first thought would be "acid jazz"... --jim kuemmerle, who's now had his U.S.R.D.A. of harf-spewing and will now go bogart some lunch someplace... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <570b548e.36044be0@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 20:27:12 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves In a message dated 9/19/98 7:08:45 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: > >on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what >else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this >thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've been >buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at least >the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. ooooh yah, i love these threads:] lately, my cd player has pretty much seen the likes of: sloan: "navy blues" amazing. beautiful. "rock!" *check* these guys out. yeah! liz phair: "whitechocolatespaceegg" surpasses "exile in guyville" in my opinion.. which i never thought possible. until now.. tragically hip: "phantom power" yeeeees... :) i don't understand why they haven't broken into the states here yet, maybe they're too good. ;p oh well. seeing them *live* on 10/8, woo hoo! hooverphonic: "a new stereophonic sound spectacular" i can't describe this.. just beautiful. and the vocals, beautifully etherial... yet unthreatening. it can still pass as vocal-less if you want it to. i love listening to this cd when i'm playing around in photoshop or just lying in bed. stephen duffy: "i love my friends" it's ...great! :) also, i've also revived "john henry" and "lincoln"... haven't listened to them in a long time, and after that break, it's like it's new all over again. you know, you hear things you didn't hear before.. as the horn intro to "no one knows my plan" began, i was amazed when i realized how many people have not heard this work of art.. ~sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1451693.36044eb3@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 20:39:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic soul for all eternit In a message dated 9/19/987:43:12 PM, particle.man@juno.com writes: >I thought somebody said that that EP's songs could be found elsewhere (on >Then or >Misc T?) ep's dated until 89 or 90. there are more (such as istanbul, i palindrome i, the guitar, why does the sun shine, back to skull, sexxy... etc) supposedly They were supposed to release another cd of b-sides and such (superfueled freakcycle? matt's life savings? :) insect hospital?) but then the whole elektra thing happened, or rather - *didn't happen*... so.. anything flood and up, isn't as accessable. sarah ------------------------------ From: OPERCMM@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 19:49:20 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Message-id: <01J203XROWVW8ZQHB7@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu> > On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > > I'll be at the Austin show. > > I'm about 6'0 tall, shortish brown hair, and I will be wearing a white Dan > > Bern t-shirt. On the back is a picture of what appears to be a yellow leaf > > with some red on it, and it says "Dan Bern" in red and "Fifty Eggs" in > > green. Ah, the other Dan Bern List/TMBG-list crossover person *grin* > awww yeah! i just heard my first dan bern about a week ago, and i think > i'm hooked. i can't find any cd's around here yet, though; i think i'll > have to special-order them... Wow! You should be able to find most Dan Bern stuff. It's released on Sony. Borders normally has them around here. There are 3 discs commercially available (And Dan had many many MANY unreleased songs): An EP, Dog Boy Van, and two tro full length albums: Dan Bern and Fifty Eggs. - Chad (who is going to a Nields concert in 45 minutes) ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:52:44 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980919.215414.6462.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:17:13 -0400 particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) writes: >Coincidentally, I went to 3 music stores today. They all had the same >TMBG stuff: >Then:TEY, Lincoln, Misc T, Factory Showroom, and Severe Tire Damage. >I thought somebody said that that EP's songs could be found elsewhere >(on Then or Misc T?) I went into the new Camelot music store in our mall yesterday and they had "Why Does The Sun Shine?"! About five copies of it too! I was really surprised... I thought that one was pretty hard to find. I already had it... but if I didn't, I would've bought it right then! I DID buy Swingers (the movie) and Teleconned vol. 1 which I recommend to ALL! it has Soul Coughing, Ani diFranco, Ben Folds Five, Triplefastaction, Dead Hot Workshop and lots of others! it also supports a good cause: Americans For Radio Diversity Tim, ... sporty Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: First Kiss Last CD purchase: Teleconned 1 : We Want The Airwaves Favorite mainstream song: One Week - Barenaked Ladies (losing strength...) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36047727.516BC60C@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 19:31:54 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:Sensurround lyrics "Refund" quoted: >Accidentally, in a coal mine, it was found When they accidentally dug to far down and found the Sensurround.> Am I only one who's slightly annoyed by the use of the word "accidentally" twice in the same sentence? The song's a masterpiece but I'm a little suprised he let that go. You are probably thinking, "but it sounds GOOD that way!" Maybe thats because were so used to hearing it that like that. My wild guess is that when Linnell was sketching out the lyrics he figured he'd eventually get back to to that part and change one of the "accidentally"s to something else but by the time he did it seemed right to him too. Or maybe, accidentally, when wrote the words, he accidentally didn't notice. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:26:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: another flansburgh dream this is totally dumb, but, i just remembered a dream i had last night. this is my second flans dream in the span of a week. .. i was back in my 11th grade english class. flans was the teacher. he would recite 2 lines from "the end of the tour" at a time, after each time, everyone (except me) would raise their hands to be called on to interpret it. hmm. that's all. :) sorry to waste yer bandwidth and all, but i felt obligated. :) (read that as hal sirowitz, please) ~sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:38:01 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves Message-ID: <19980919.223823.8782.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >>on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what >>else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this >>thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've been >>buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at least >>the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. for me, it's been all women. some odd comfort after losing the greatest woman ever, i guess. liz phair, whitechocolatespaceegg. quite possibly the greatest album ever recorded. she's blended her original style with a bluesy/country mix. liz has also mellowed a lot. her lyrics are angry and soothing in the right places. i could go on and on about it, but i'd rather you go check it out yourself. tori amos, from the choirgirl hotel. a very smooth album. everything you expect from her and more. and nothing sounds better than a tori amos "hey." good painting music. slater-kinney. i've been listening to it when i clean. it gets me pumped up and excited. of course, i've been listening to STD way too much. i should retire it for awhile. plus, i have a mix tape of my twenty favorite songs. that pretty much covers it. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Sept. 27 - Sunny Day Real Estate!!! Oct. 7 - Liz Phair!!! Oct. 8 - BNL!!! Oct. 13 - TMBG!!!!! * ------------------------------------------ _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809200542.AAA05945@cs.utexas.edu> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:44:28 -0500 From: invisible Subject: TMBG: austin show... howdy... i just got back from the austin TMBG show, and it was INCREDIBLE... i saw them last night in dallas as well, but this show blew that one away... the band was very into it, good crowd and good stuff.... i got the setlist tonight and last night, and i'll be posting them later today or tomorrow or monday, after the houston show... we talked to michael shelly after the show, and sure enough he is pretty much the nicest guy ever... he even put two of our friends on the guest list for tomorrow night..... hmmm.. better review of the show to come.... so till then... rabidchild paul swan "people are on the left, apes on the right, just like politics..." J.F. introducing planet of the apes... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-17 ******************************