Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 18 Monday, 21 September 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Houston Show Re: NON-TMBG: other non-tmbg raves TMBG: computer programming TMBG: Houston show Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves TMBG: offline (none) TMBG:Watch 120 Minutes NOW!!!! TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? TMBG: Hall/House TMBG: TDK's TMBG sound page updated! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199809200900.FAA29223@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:47 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Houston Show I'll be at the Houston show. I'll post details later when I know them. Is anyone else going who likes to eat freshly grown turnips? And yes, the Austin show was amazing! Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:57:07 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: other non-tmbg raves Message-ID: <19980920.105722.11110.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >ooooh yah, i love these threads:] heh, and i dig it when sarah contributes to them :P anyways... aside from the obvious (moxy fruvous, michael shelley, brian dewan, candy butchers, etc....) here are some bands i personally dig: #1 Cheeky Monkey "four arms to hold you" okay so this is technically micahel shelley's side project but it's "sillier" than the stuff that gets put on his albums. i dig it. If you wanna check out his stuff i'd recomend getting this first, you'll be more open-minded when you listen to his cd's. #2 Homegrown "act your age" this band belongs in the "skunk" genre. (ska and punk) They rock, i've seen 'em live a few times and they just get better and better. :) #3 Wade "odd man out" again another skunk band. They're from sweden and they just plain out rock. #4 Nerf Herder This band is just so damn cool i dunno what to say. They're gonna be putting out a new album really soon... you can also find one of their songs on the BASEketball soundtrack but i dunno about that one so... They had a single, "Sorry" that got quite a bit of airplay about a year and a half ago. Really cool guys on top of it all. #5 Mr. T Experience "Love is Dead" an awesome little punk band. I'd recomend any of their cd's but 'love is dead' just seems to be the flood of MTX. Joel is my god :) #6 Eagle Eye Cherry "desireless" okay so i heard of him like a year ago and well i had to order my CD from some evil foreign country that charged me sooo much extra but now-a-days you can find it anywhere. Perhaps you've heard his rockin single 'save tonight' on your local alternative radio station. Warning: the rest of the album sounds nothing like save tonight, it's a lot slower but his live show rocks. go check him out :) #7 Kraftwerk "the Mix" the mix is just a good way to get a load of this excellent group :) #8 Marcy Playground yeah yeah, even i think that sex and candy blows the fatty. the rest of the album is *very* different from S&C. Very creative lyrics, i can't understand why there's not more of a TMBG-MP fan crossover (i know a few of you are on the MPlist too but...) #9 Meat Puppets what can i say? kurt and kris are gods :) you could even check out some of their stuff on Nirvana's MTV unplugged in NY cd. #10 Run DMC "raising hell" so these guys just flat out are the gods of rap. but it's not crappy like all the rap of today. (you get to hear "walk this way" their collaboration with aerosmith or some crappy band... that's the worst song on the CD.) I'd also suggest "down with the king" as far as compilations go i would highly recomend... #1 "Punk You" vol.1 #2 Dr. Martens music sampler '97-'98 and now... for all the techno lovin' kiddies: #3 Black Flys "Black Flys Presents Club Flys" (as for what's currently on my list of bands to check out: Suggestions from the MP-list: Sunny Day Real Estate, I-45, Built To spill, River Fenix. Suggestions from the Fruvous NG: Eddie From Ohio... who's the other one, great big sea? I wanna check out jay sherman-godfrey's bands. geez... i know there were more. anyways if you've heard any of these bands and wanna recomend some more based on them or just give me some info regarding any of them please do) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980920165707.25094.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: TMBG: computer programming Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:57:06 PDT If anyone noticed, I have not been posting for the last month or so, due to an computer screw-up at my end of the line; consequently, I have no idea what the current topics on the list are. So I'll babble briefly about my programming course at school. We just got VisualBasic, and the teacher is learning at the same time and speed as the rest of us. I've had many years of programming under my belt aleady, so I am jumping a little farther ahead than everyone else. While they are writing progs that say "Hello World" when you push a button, I am making a TMBG game. It is rather simple in theory-- it will present a bit of TMBG lyrics and you need to pick the correct song title and album title. Of course, it wouldn't be anywhere near challenging for most people on this list. At least the project keeps me awake in class. On another note, has anyone ever heard of the group Morella's Forest? Their latest album seems to have a permanent home in my 3-disc changer. Mike "Mike" Fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809201708.NAA10474@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:09:09 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Houston show Ok, so as I said, I'll be at the Houston show. I'm about 6'0 tall, shortish brown hair, and I will be wearing the impossibly bright orange TMBG t-shirt "Enjoy The Music of They Might Be Giants". If you miss this t-shirt, then you have no eyes. Once again I will point out that if you hear someone saying harf, then it is me. If you say harf, and someone replies in kind, then it might be me. I've yet to run into anyone on the list (whom I didn't already know and go to the show with) at the shows, so I don't believe that any of you exist. Harf, Mitch "If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." - Irving Layton Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980920151952.007bc940@mail.uslink.net> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 15:19:52 -0500 From: "J.D. Malmquist" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dan Bern, other non-tmbg raves At 05:05 PM 9/19/98 -0600, J Kuemmerle wrote: >awww yeah! i just heard my first dan bern about a week ago, and i think >i'm hooked. i can't find any cd's around here yet, though; i think i'll >have to special-order them... I've got Dan Bern's self titled CD (Jerusalem, I'm Not the Guy, Marilyn, etc) and a copy of Fifty Eggs on tape. I'll have to get that on CD soon. Of all people, my father actually introduced me to Dan Bern, and whom I got my tape copy of it. He seems to think Dan'll be the next Bob Dylan, which I'm not entirely sure about. >on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what >else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this >thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've been >buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at least >the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. My latest obsession has been with Beautiful South. I think their most popular song in the US was "We Are Each Other." A good deal of their songs are twisted, like "Something That You Said" and "Woman in the Wall." I've got all their US releases and am now starting on imports and singles. My wife seems to change her obsession every few months. She's recently gone from The Church (Australian band playing at First Ave. (Mpls) on the 30th, the night after TMBG) to Pink Floyd, to Radiohead. So we'll be going to Minneapolis for the TMBG concert and staying for the Church concert the next night. They (church) will be doing an appearance at a nearby music store and possibly an acoustic set there, and following that there's a decent chance the band will be going out to dinner with members of seance (the church mailing list) before the concert. Should be a damned good time overall. JD Malmquist ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:52:04 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: offline Message-id: <01J21BQ8V7AO9AOBLX@cc.usu.edu> Hi all just wanted to say I will be offline for a bit, until I get my new Internet/ email software installed. My old account will be deactivated sometime tomorrow (probably 11:59:59pm) as it is a scholl account and if you don't register and pay for classes, it is yanked and given to someone else somewhere down the line. Just wanted to say that this is a great list and it is full of great people! I love to hear about everyone's experiences! I hope to be back soon Jen ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:32:55 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Message-ID: Hey all-- At some point, Jim said: > on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what > else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this > thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've > been buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at > least the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. To which Sarah replied: > ooooh yah, i love these threads:] And I do too. So, even though no one asked me to, my recently released CDs that I'm loving right around now (keep in mind, though, that some of these might not even be out yet...radio promos and stuff like that): ---Bob Mould, _The Last Dog and Pony Show_ Anyone who knows me at all should know this one already. Bob is my own personal musical hero, and I'm loving the new stuff. And hey, he's touring with a band too, which also rules. ---Mineral, _End Serenading_ I'm so into emo now, and I've accepted that Mineral is a group of Texan emo gods. The album's really mellow, but I still love it. ---King Missle, _Failure_ Funniest stuff I've heard all year. Three words: "Gay / Not Gay." ---UNKLE, _Psyence Fiction_ Can you go wrong when DJ Shadow and the founder of Mo' Wax Records get together, with special guests from the Verve and Thom from Radiohead? This record proves you just can't. Go wrong, I mean. ---Sunny Day Real Estate, _How It Feels to Be Something On_ Ah, the other emo powerhouse comes together again. It takes some getting used to (Jeremy Enigk seems to like singing in falsetto now...sort of), but it's great. ---Belle and Sebastian, _The Boy With the Arab Strap_ Buy this record. I mean it. Buy it right now, and you will thank me. Even better, buy their second album, _If You're Feeling Sinister_. Why are you still reading? Go buy it right now... Okay, I've wasted y'all's time for long enough. See ya. The Rev P.S. Sarah? I'm digging the Hooverphonic album myself.... |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <67fc60e0.3605d22b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:12:27 EDT Subject: TMBG:Watch 120 Minutes NOW!!!! Hey! For everyone on the computer and not by a TV...go to the nearest one now. Matt just said that they are going to show TMBG!!! Yes TMBG!! :) I think he said something like a performance...I was too shocked. :) He also said something about a new vid from Marcy Plaground. I hope it is good. LOADTMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36007748.456C@stlnet.com> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:43:20 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? Michael Shelley is supposed to open for They at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. Does anyone know who he is or what he sounds like? nick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:08:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: TMBG: Hall/House Message-ID: My copy, sent as part of the 1996 Hello club year, is called Hall of Mayors, but indeed, the picture in the recent newsletter indicates that new copies have been retitled House of Mayors. If this is the case, I guess that means I'll have to *buy it again*, as I am an insane completist... MIKe www.journalx.com Only 15 days until TMBG return to Toronto ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:11:34 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: TDK's TMBG sound page updated! Message-ID: Hello. I just added 10 new MP3s/WAVs/RA to my page from the 2/21/92 Mountain Stage performance.. there are some great renditions of alot of their most popular songs: Particle Man, She's Actual Size, Piece Of Dirt, Lucky Ball & Chain, The Guitar (featuring Syd Straw), Don't Lets Start, Chess Piece Face, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Birdhouse In Your Soul and The Famous Polka. Enjoy! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html PS Please sign my guestbook! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-18 ******************************