Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 19 Tuesday, 22 September 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: h e l p (please) Re: TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? Non-TMBG: Random Quote TMBG: Texas Shows TMBG: Re: No Subject Re: TMBG: Re: No Subject Re: TMBG: h e l p (please) Re: TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? Re: TMBG:Watch 120 Minutes NOW!!!! TMBG: re: h e l p (please) TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: re: h e l p (please) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-18 Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes TMBG: Meat Puppets TMBG: TMBG shows & punctuality Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: Michael Shelly in SLC TMBG: Modern Rock Live TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-18 Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes TMBG: non-tmng: The End Of The Tour (sob) -Reply TMBG: MTV sucks TMBG: non-tmbg, my apologies Re: Non-TMBG: Random Quote Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic TMBG: pop-up video Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets Re: TMBG: non-tmbg, my apologies Re: TMBG: Modern Rock Live Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets Re: TMBG: pop-up video TMBG: Fwd: the concert, 9/20/1998, Houston, Texas Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets NON-TMBG: other bands Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: Non-TMBG: Random Quote Re: TMBG: Fwd: the concert, 9/20/1998, Houston, Texas TMBG: Mercury Lounge TMBG: new music Re: TMBG: h e l p (please) Re: TMBG: MTV sucks Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: h e l p (please) Message-ID: <19980921.043116.7719.1.kpicara@juno.com> From: kpicara@juno.com (sarah j mamott) Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 03:35:07 EDT hi. i'm sarah. i'm new. (here.) i've liked tmbg since my well-meaning friends introduced me to them about 5 years ago, but haven't really appreciated them they way i now believe They should be appreciated 'til the past year or so. i have a question for you who've already seen a tmbg concert- do they kick it rock-star style, and usually start the show an hour or so after the time written on the ticket ? (please say yes. ..) or are they anally punctual ? (please say no. ..) my problem (well one of them) is that the show i want to see (philly) is oct 13- the same day as the last day of school before my fall break. i've found a way to get to the show with one of my friends who lives near the city, but the problem is, i can't get out of class til 3 hours before the show starts (i have an inescapable critique)... and... it's a 4 hour drive to philly from here. so basically, i'd have to be at least an hour late. could you tell me how much you think i'd miss ? if just the opening act, i wouldn't like it, but i'd still think it was definitely worth the trip.. . if i'd miss a chunk of the show, though, i'd have to weigh my options. now i'll sleep and hopefully have some info tomorrow- thanks so much for your potential helpfulness. .. (i like parentheses.) good day/night/whenever it is wherever you are- ,sar a h. ________________________________ . .. i'm just wishing i had some eyelids, so i could get some sleep. -les claypool _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:41:59 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Pat Acquisto wrote: > Michael Shelley is supposed to open for They at Mississippi Nights in St. > Louis. Does anyone know who he is or what he sounds like? I do believe Jordan is best suited to answer the question of who Michael Shelley is...as I told her, I have heard Michael Shelley's work with Cheeky Monkey, and I really like it. Very very poppy stuff...a bit like Teenage Fanclub (who I believe Shelley was in), just a bit lighter. I've heard that the live show is pretty rawkus, though... Another thought. Who all is planning on going to the St. Louis show? Any of those folks up for a pre-show meet somewhere? I seem to recall that most St. Louisans on this list are under 21, so a bar is out of the question, but maybe we can go somewhere else on the Landing. So yeah...anyone interested in that pre-show meeting thing, let me know, and we'll try to figure something out. That's it. I'm out. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809210958.FAA27129@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:55:30 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Random Quote Ok, so I was trying to hit some combination of keys on my keyboard, but I accidentally "pasted", and found that the following quote had been last copied on my computer: As she opened the door, she felt as if she were walking into a sauna. Immediately sweat began to bead on her forehead and the glare of the sun forced her to squint her eyes. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809210958.FAA27132@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:59:17 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Texas Shows I'm sure Paul Swan will post the set lists for all of the shows this weekend (since he got setlists at all 3) so I'll just post the songs that made each show different from the others: Dallas: Mammal Lie Still Little Bottle Whistling In The Dark Austin: Dig My Grave Racist Friend Houston: Dig My Grave Whistling In The Dark First Kiss!!! I Am Not Your Broom no conga (although we conga-ed anyway when they played Guitar and NOKMP) If I had to rate the shows, I'd say it was Austin, Dallas, then Houston (best to worst) but they were all very good shows. They did Battle at all 3 shows, and of course the people won them all. I just got home from the show (after a 3-4 hour drive) so I'm going to sleep now. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5cc6a423.360623f7@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 06:01:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: No Subject >---Bob Mould, _The Last Dog and Pony Show_ > Anyone who knows me at all should know this one already. Bob is > my own personal musical hero, and I'm loving the new stuff. And > hey, he's touring with a band too, which also rules. > hey, is "dog on fire" on there at all? :] do dodo dodo do do do dooooo dodo... ~saraj ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 05:25:03 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No Subject Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >---Bob Mould, _The Last Dog and Pony Show_ > > Anyone who knows me at all should know this one already. Bob is > > my own personal musical hero, and I'm loving the new stuff. And > > hey, he's touring with a band too, which also rules. > > hey, is "dog on fire" on there at all? :] > > do dodo dodo do do do dooooo dodo... No, Sara. I hate to break it to you (and all you other Daily Show fans out there), but "Dog On Fire" is actually just a one-off of sorts that Bob did merely because he was friends with Liz Winstead. No live performances (although that would be great), no official release...kinda sucks, actually. "Dog On Fire" is pretty cool. But while at one point I thought it might show up on an album or single sometime, I've given up hope. After all, Bob has come out denouncing The Daily Show in its entirety, basically saying that he wishes he had never given them that song to use. Why, you ask? Because he was sick of the fact that they made fun of homosexuals (of which Bob is one, although not an outspoken one), females, and basically everyone in general. So Sara, and everyone else, there's the long answer to that question. Why am I still up right now? The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:48:34 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: h e l p (please) Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, sarah j mamott wrote: > hi. i'm sarah. i'm new. (here.) i've liked tmbg since my well-meaning > friends introduced me to them about 5 years ago, but haven't really > appreciated them they way i now believe They should be appreciated 'til > the past year or so. hey, sarah! i'm jim. welcome to the list!! > i have a question for you who've already seen a tmbg concert- do they > kick it rock-star style, and usually start the show an hour or so after > the time written on the ticket ? (please say yes. ..) or are they > anally punctual ? (please say no. ..) yes. er... no. er... ;) naah -- they kick it rock-star style. it takes a while to drink that much coffee!! :) > my problem (well one of them) is that the show i want to see (philly) is > oct 13- the same day as the last day of school before my fall break. > i've found a way to get to the show with one of my friends who lives near > the city, but the problem is, i can't get out of class til 3 hours before > the show starts (i have an inescapable critique)... and... it's a 4 hour > drive to philly from here. so basically, i'd have to be at least an hour > late. could you tell me how much you think i'd miss ? > if just the opening act, i wouldn't like it, but i'd still think it was > definitely worth the trip.. . if i'd miss a chunk of the show, though, > i'd have to weigh my options. as usual, They said it best: "only one way to know: go, go, go..." i doubt you'd miss much of the show from what you've described. although somebody with more TMBG-viewing experience (i just saw my very first TMBG show ever last tuesday) should probably put in their two cents as well... > now i'll sleep and hopefully have some info tomorrow- > thanks so much for your potential helpfulness. .. > (i like parentheses.) (me too.) --jim kuemmerle, parentheses user since 1979... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:55:21 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Michael Shelley opening??? Message-ID: <19980921.075525.11134.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Michael Shelley is supposed to open for They at Mississippi Nights in >St. >Louis. Does anyone know who he is or what he sounds like? Michael Shelley is only the coolest guy... heh. no uhm, have you seen "there's something about mary"? (funny movie, you should see it if you haven't...) but the best comparison i can come up with is Johnathan Richmond, the guy who sings all the songs in that movie. Michael Shelley's really sweet, i'd recomend buying his albums cuz well they rock. Only thing is that he sounds a lot louder at the shows than on his albums... which is cool if you like that sort of thing. His lyrics are creative (as with most big deal bands) and well, it's just catchy tunes :) I would suggest buying Cheeky Monkey, his side project with francis macdonald, cuz well i think TMBG fans would appreciate it more than any of his 'solo' albums :) Side note, on his latest album, "too many movies" Laura Cantrell (the guitar) sings a song and on both albums (i think) Jay Sherman-Godfrey plays a grip. :) Other cool Big Deal bands: Shonen Knife, Splitsville, Wondermints... hell, they're all good :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:49:46 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG:Watch 120 Minutes NOW!!!! Message-ID: <19980921.075525.11134.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Matt just said that they are going to show TMBG!!! Yes TMBG!! :) I >think he >said something like a performance...I was too shocked. :) He also said >something about a new vid from Marcy Plaground. I hope it is good. erg, aftar all the talk of sherry fraser (marcy playground's latest video being debuted) i was gonna call up one of my buds that actually has cable and ask 'em to record it for me... now i just feel stupid. :( take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: re: h e l p (please) Message-ID: <19980921.114132.7967.0.kpicara@juno.com> From: kpicara@juno.com (sarah j mamott) Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:45:16 EDT thanks so much to those of you who responded to my dilemma. since all but one advised me to, i'm going to buy a ticket and take my chances that i won't miss much.. . thanks again. ,sar a h. __________________________________________ though this world's essentially an absurd place to be living in, it doesn't call for total withdrawal -stereolab _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:44:34 -0500 From: "Kiss Me, Son of God" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes I watched that 120 minutes on MTV last night when word got out that they were gonna play a TMBG video. Now one would assume when they said this that they were gonna play the brand spankin new Dr. Worm video. So we sat and watched 120 minutes and kept waiting for Matt to play the video. He had said it twice during the show that they were gonna play it. The last time he said they would close the show with TMBG. So we wait patiently and finally he says,"and our final video for the night..." and it wasn't tmbg. I was appalled at first. Then after the video they played during the credits an old Particle Man Live video. I'm like dude why the hell didn't you play the new video Dr. Worm!!! I was and still am ticked off at 120 minutes. I urge you all who watched the show for TMBG to flame the 120 Minutes email account. I believe it's minutes120@aol.com. That just ticked me off that they kept pushing back when they would play TMBG and when they finally did it was only during the credits and an old video at that. Jason "120 minutes sucks" Arnold ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:53:21 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: re: h e l p (please) Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, sarah j mamott wrote: > thanks so much to those of you who responded to my dilemma. > since all but one advised me to, i'm going to buy a ticket and take my > chances that i won't miss much.. . yay!! (of course, you asked this advice from a whole bunch of near-fanatics, but hey, that doesn't mean it's not good advice!) --jim kuemmerle, who turns anybody he's sitting next to into a near fanatic... ;) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360669A9.A78F8317@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:58:49 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-18 Hello listers! Dr. Demento played both Dr. Worm and Why Does The Sun Shine during the first hour of his radio show last night! I promise that I'll send him a tape of their cover of Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow soon. Russ -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980921110850.006a6c84@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:08:50 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Matt said a couple of times that it would be "a classic performance", which would indicate that it wasn't a new video, and since they never miss an opportunity to plug the "120 Minutes Live" CD, I figured they'd play Particle Man. He did say that they get a lot of TMBG requests though...so at least they're acknowledging us in some way. :-) -Adam, still not happy about staying up till 2 for a fairly awful & incomplete performance... -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:49:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: Meat Puppets Message-ID: Speaking of the Meat Puppets (as someone did), didn't the John's do backup vocals on a song or two for them? (Or maybe this was a vicious rumor) jason "Lunch is good" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:17:39 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG shows & punctuality Message-id: <01J22C9LJVV29AOBWW@cc.usu.edu> TMBG is generally kinda slow getting on-the last one I went to they were a lot later than they usually are (the doors were supposed to open at 7 but TMBG didn't go on until a little after 9-Michael Shelley did not play for 2 hours either!) I think the show started like at 7:45-8ish and MS played for about 1/2 hour. Actually, maybe TMBG didn't go on until 9:30...I don't remember- I took off my watch so I wouldn't lose it in the mosh pit.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360680FB.91351CA7@cannet.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:38:21 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Kiss Me, Son of God wrote: > > I watched that 120 minutes on MTV last night when word got out that they > were gonna play a TMBG video. Now one would assume when they said this > that they were gonna play the brand spankin new Dr. Worm video. So we sat > and watched 120 minutes and kept waiting for Matt to play the video. He > had said it twice during the show that they were gonna play it. The last > time he said they would close the show with TMBG. So we wait patiently and > finally he says,"and our final video for the night..." and it wasn't tmbg. > I was appalled at first. Then after the video they played during the > credits an old Particle Man Live video. I'm like dude why the hell didn't > you play the new video Dr. Worm!!! I was and still am ticked off at 120 > minutes. I urge you all who watched the show for TMBG to flame the 120 > Minutes email account. > > I believe it's minutes120@aol.com. That just ticked me off that they kept > pushing back when they would play TMBG and when they finally did it was > only during the credits and an old video at that. > > Jason "120 minutes sucks" Arnold Dude, you have no reason to be pissed at the only good thing on MTV nowadays. Never once did he say they were gonna play Dr. Worm....what he said was "And at the close of the show we'll take a look back at a classic TMBG performance"....people who watch 120 minutes regularly probably all knew it was gonna be that crappy Particle Man thing from the 120 minutes live CD. Get your facts straight bud. ~Mike ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@o.com Message-ID: <3739b1af.36068245@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:43:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes In a message dated 98-09-21 11:15:57 EDT, you write: << He did say that they get a lot of TMBG requests though...so at least they're acknowledging us in some way. :-) >> True, but after that I just *figured* he would mention something about Dr. Worm debuting soon. LOADTMBG ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:58:52 -0500 From: "Kiss Me, Son of God" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes >Dude, you have no reason to be pissed at the only good thing on MTV >nowadays. Never once did he say they were gonna play Dr. Worm....what he >said was "And at the close of the show we'll take a look back at a >classic TMBG performance"....people who watch 120 minutes regularly >probably all knew it was gonna be that crappy Particle Man thing from >the 120 minutes live CD. Get your facts straight bud. I have every right to be pissed, and I have my facts straight. Multiple times Matt mentioned that they were gonna play a TMBG video, and multiple times he changed WHEN they were gonna play the video. First it was gonna be at the end of the first hour, then it was gonna be after a couple videos, and finally he said to close the show lets take a look. Of course, I guess it did keep me tuned in so that I wouldn't miss the TMBG video. I could've waited and watched it on the video tape we had going, but we all decided to stay and watch. Then as if that wasn't bad enough it was a credits video. I never said that Matt said he was gonna play Dr. Worm. However, one would think,"Oh, hey, TMBG just came out with a NEW video for their NEW album, and since 120 minutes generally shows NEW stuff from NEW albums they are prolly gonna play the NEW Dr. Worm video." Now granted any air time for TMBG is good air time, but come on at least play the NEW video or at least mention the NEW album like he did for all the other bands he played. So yeah I'm pissed cause they made me wade through a bunch of crap videos just to see the credits with TMBG playing on the side. Not to mention a bad video. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:03:31 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: Michael Shelly in SLC Message-ID: All in all I thought the fans were relatively nice to Michael Shelley. At the last TMBG concert I went to in SLC we chanted Giants Giants throughout the opening act. Of course they sucked a lot worse than michael shelley did. I think you have to be pretty thick-skinned to be an opening act. ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:03:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Modern Rock Live Hi all!! Wow..my 2nd ever post to this list and it's still not even an intro/this is who i am kinda message!! That'll come soon, though. Justn wanted to let you guys know that They are going to be on Modern Rock Live in the next couple of weeks. I *think* Tom Calderone said it would be next week, but I wasn't really paying attention to anything he said before he said "They Might Be Giants" ;) Anyway... I'm on my dad's laptop and I hate it cause it's making my typing even worse than usual...... so that'll be it from me for now cheese! jennifer ------------------------------ From: ALeigh992@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:04:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-18 << #6 Eagle Eye Cherry "desireless" okay so i heard of him like a year ago and well i had to order my CD from some evil foreign country that charged me sooo much extra but now-a-days you can find it anywhere. Perhaps you've heard his rockin single 'save tonight' on your local alternative radio station. Warning: the rest of the album sounds nothing like save tonight, it's a lot slower but his live show rocks. go check him out :) >> Eagle Eye Cherry actually has a TMBG connotation...Linnell used to work with him a really long time ago at a music (station?) Something involving filing stuff, I think....he talked about it in a radio interview, and said the job was "superduper boring" :-) (I love linnell quotes like that!) But I thought it was a cool fact. Aleigh ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:16:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Message-ID: <19980921.141844.4342.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:44:34 -0500 "Kiss Me, Son of God" writes: <> >I was appalled at first. Then after the video they played during the >credits an old Particle Man Live video. I'm like dude why the hell >didn't you play the new video Dr. Worm!!! I was and still am ticked off at >120 minutes. I urge you all who watched the show for TMBG to flame the >120 Minutes email account. > >I believe it's minutes120@aol.com. That just ticked me off that they >kept pushing back when they would play TMBG and when they finally did it >was only during the credits and an old video at that. > >Jason "120 minutes sucks" Arnold > Actually, "dude," I think 120 Min. is the best show on MTV, I only wish it was on earlier, more often and longer (then they'd have to rename it I guess)... 120 Min. is the thread that MTV is holding onto because it is the only time they actually play GOOD music and I don't have to look at Carson or hear Jesse's voice! They say it's MUSIC television but all they show are crappy shows!!!! I don't wanna see 7 20-somethings trying to run a radio station and find their inner selves in the process!! I wanna see some Soul Coughing, Fountains of Wayne, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Ben Folds Five, Mono Puff, Everclear, and TMBG!!! ALL OF WHICH YOU WOULD NEVER SEE WITHOUT 120 MINUTES!!! Well, maybe you'd see Brick and Hell... but that's it... Whoa... this kinda turned into my I HATE MTV rant rather than a 120 MINUTES IS MTV'S ONLY HOPE rant... whoops! Tim, feels teleconned Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Everybody Conga Last CD purchase: Teleconned Vol. 1 : We want The Airwaves / Barenaked Ladies - One Week EP Favorite mainstream song: One Week (losing strength!) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:39:58 -0500 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes >Actually, "dude," I think 120 Min. is the best show on MTV, I only wish >it was on earlier, more often and longer (then they'd have to rename it I >guess)... 120 Min. is the thread that MTV is holding onto because it is >the only time they actually play GOOD music and I don't have to look at >Carson or hear Jesse's voice! They say it's MUSIC television but all >they show are crappy shows!!!! I don't wanna see 7 20-somethings trying >to run a radio station and find their inner selves in the process!! I >wanna see some Soul Coughing, Fountains of Wayne, Squirrel Nut Zippers, >Ben Folds Five, Mono Puff, Everclear, and TMBG!!! ALL OF WHICH YOU WOULD >NEVER SEE WITHOUT 120 MINUTES!!! >Well, maybe you'd see Brick and Hell... but that's it... >Whoa... this kinda turned into my I HATE MTV rant rather than a 120 >MINUTES IS MTV'S ONLY HOPE rant... whoops! Actually I like 120 minutes too, but he just pissed me off about the whole TMBG thing. I mean he first announced it like at the beggining of the show and then plays a total waste of tape during the credits. At least they played them so I can't be too mad at em. The only two things I like on MTV are Loveline(on occassion), 120 minutes, and After Hours(that's when they only play videos and mtv news cause no one else is awake) ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:13:07 +0000 Subject: TMBG: non-tmng: The End Of The Tour (sob) -Reply Why? WHY? If you are tired of this list you are tired of life itself (as someone far better than I once said). Richard who defies anyone to tell us of a better list they know of............. >>> "DrWormX@aol.com" 19/September/1998 06:53am >>> I bid a fond farewell to the grand tmbg.org mailing list, and all of it's members, the finest people on earth. For it has come, a point in my life where I must drift away from the list, which has been my home now for the last several years. I will miss it dearly, and maybe I will visit once in a while (I'll probably be back on like tommorow or something). Anyway, I have had my downs on this list (josh, leffel, brother juan), as well as my ups.....can't think of any right now... but I know there were probably to many to name anyhow. It is time for the list and me to go our seperate ways, but maybe we shall meet again...sometime in the great future. Au Revoir, fare list, take it easy, Jordan, mellow out bongo, don't act dumb josh, and of course if michael (respect) leffel comes back from the dead, someone please tell me. You know where to find me. Please always remember my parting words, and live by them forever...."blame it on pez addiction" Goodbye kids. Matt Kay DrWormX@tmbg.org The Original Doctor Worm (sob) ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:55:14 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: MTV sucks Message-id: <01J22HKS9M1I9EEQM4@cc.usu.edu> MtV used to be good but now they really suck. I hate all that hip-hop shit thatis ALWAYS on-they should rename it the Hip Hop Music Channel and A Bunch of MtV used to be good but now they really suck. I hate all that hip-hop shit thatis ALWAYS on-they should rename it the Hip Hop Music Channel and A Bunch of Other Non-Music Related Shows-but that would just be too long-maybe just rename it CMTV-Crappy Music Television VH1 is SO much better than MTV. Although I have never seen TMBG played on VH1, they play a lot of other good stuff like Sarah McLachlan, Pet Shop Boys Duran Duran, Howard Jones, OMD, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and all the other Swing bands, REM, etc. Most of the older stuff is shown on Pop-Up Video, many times it isn't. I don't think I've ever seen a hip-hop video on there... But perhaps we can get them to play TMBG on Pop-Up Video by calling their "Inside Information LIne"-it's always at the very end of each show. I don't have it offhand, but I'm sure if you watch it, you can write it down fast enough or check out their website-it may be there too. Or, maybe we can get them to interview them on one of their flashback type shows, like "Then & Now" "Where Are They Now?" or "Before They Were Rock Stars"....... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:06:45 -0700 (PDT) From: none of your damn business Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg, my apologies Message-ID: I realize that this list is supposed to be about tmbg, but I just couldn't help myself on this one. Sorry. <<#4 Nerf Herder>> I thought Nerf Herder broke up a year (or more) ago? At least, that's what my boyfriend at the time told me. I only believed him 'cause he knew someone who knew the drummer. Did they get back together, or was the breakup thing a rumor? Also, it's nice to see other tmbg fans who are also into punk and/or ska (I don't consider "skunk" to be an actual genre, but that's another post). I thought my roommate and I were the only ones. More proof that tmbg fans are nothing if not eclectic... -foilgirl ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:19:07 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Random Quote >As she opened the door, she felt as if she were walking into a sauna. >Immediately sweat began to bead on her forehead and the glare of the sun >forced >her to squint her eyes. whaddya doin', Harf, readin' the starr report?? ~sarah continuing random quotes~ "hope you all were well-rested this weekend" "what? you got arrested this weekend?" -- teacher & student, in my civics class ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <8fc71386.3606b624@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:25:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes In a message dated 9/21/98 10:49:22 AM, ja0022@drake.edu writes: > watched that 120 minutes on MTV last night when word got out that they >were gonna play a TMBG video. well, no - technically he said "a classic performance from ..." which in 120M lingo means ~ an old studio performance over the credits. I *had* to get *some* sleep, i wasn't gonna stay up for this, so i set my tv to go on from 1:50 - 2:10, but fell asleep in the meantime. :] >I believe it's minutes120@aol.com. That just ticked me off that they kept >pushing back when they would play TMBG and when they finally did it was >only during the credits and an old video at that. > maybe it was some consolation for not playing the new vid yet, that's all i could think of (c'mon, why would they play this? ) ... but still, emailing the show is a good way to request the durn thing. so. all of you. minutes120@aol.com. now now now! ~sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 05:29:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980921.055353.3518.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >I already had it... but if I didn't, I would've bought it right then! >I DID buy Swingers (the movie) and Teleconned vol. 1 which I recommend I don't see how that movie got to be so popular. It says it's a comedy, but it's not funny at all. I think I remember ALMOST laughing once, when? I don't remember. But it was soooo slow. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:05:05 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: pop-up video Message-id: <01J22MDAL8KY9AOF8W@cc.usu.edu> Call the Pop-Up Video Inside Information line and give them info about TMBG and maybe they will play their videos! Their number is (212)846-2POP ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:07:58 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets Message-ID: <19980921.152809.11126.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Speaking of the Meat Puppets (as someone did), didn't the John's do >backup >vocals on a song or two for them? (Or maybe this was a vicious rumor) I mentioned Meat Puppets... as far as i knew the only relations between them were Whirlpool and the shirt that one of them designed for TMBG :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:21:46 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg, my apologies Message-ID: <19980921.152809.11126.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I thought Nerf Herder broke up a year (or more) ago? Nerf Herder more or less broke up... It originally was Parry and Steve (close childhood friends) and Charlie (the bass player). Unfortunately, Charlie left nerf herder about 6 months ago to start his own band (the name has slipped but...) and instead they got a new basist and another guitarist... they're still a band, they still play in SB :) i think they just played a few gigs in AZ and Las Vegas... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:28:00 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Modern Rock Live Message-ID: <19980921.152809.11126.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Justn wanted to let you guys know that They are going to be on Modern >Rock >Live in the next couple of weeks. I *think* Tom Calderone said it >would be >next week, but I wasn't really paying attention to anything he said >before he >said "They Might Be Giants" ;) Yeah then at the end of last weeks show, which featured Goo Goo Dolls, Max (isn't it still max, or did tom take his job back?) said "stay tuned next week when MRL brings you the Goo Goo Dolls" (he did notice the error but still...) It should be interesting having TMBG talking with Max and not Tom... should we start a pool of questions... so that we can all call up and get *quality* questions asked as opposed to "what's WE WANT TO ROCK about?" uh sorry, that songs called we want A rock... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980921174037.006aa858@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:40:37 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets At 03:07 PM 9/21/98 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >I mentioned Meat Puppets... as far as i knew the only relations between >them were Whirlpool and the shirt that one of them designed for TMBG :) The Johns contributed back-up vocals to a Meat Puppets cover of "White Sport Coat" (which I believe has only been released as a b-side?). -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980921214411.5336.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: pop-up video Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:44:10 PDT >Their number is (212)846-2POP > Free, when you call from work. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <2e41eb80.3606c9ff@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:49:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: Fwd: the concert, 9/20/1998, Houston, Texas Forwarding this for a friend who just saw his first TMBG show... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] If I remember what I heard exactly right (which I am not quite too sure about) there were 2 songs, the b-side aforementioned by Adam & the single mix (Would that be the right name of it) of whatever single that b-side is on (which I think could be Backwater, but I'm not too sure about that)... jason "under the stone, we find the scum" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 03:07 PM 9/21/98 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > > > > >I mentioned Meat Puppets... as far as i knew the only relations between > >them were Whirlpool and the shirt that one of them designed for TMBG :) > > The Johns contributed back-up vocals to a Meat Puppets cover of "White > Sport Coat" (which I believe has only been released as a b-side?). > > -Adam > -- > /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:20:06 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA25396 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:20:06 -0400 (EDT) Received: from dogbert.ucdavis.edu (root@dogbert.ucdavis.edu [128.120.8.191]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA25367 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:20:00 -0400 (EDT) Received: from localhost (ez076113@localhost [127.0.0.1]) by dogbert.ucdavis.edu (8.8.8/UCD3.12.10) with SMTP id PAA00381 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:19:50 -0700 (PDT) Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:19:49 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson X-Sender: ez076113@dogbert.ucdavis.edu To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: NON-TMBG: other bands Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Nicole Carlson Hi 'vryone, it's me, with remarkably bad Internet access (even worse than what it's been all summer!) because I'm moving (yes! On to bigger and better places! So if you need my new address *discreet cough in Chad's direction* *jim k., too*, please e-mail me.) and haven't gotten around to moving the 'puter yet. So I get to bike to campus whenever I want to check my e-mail, which sux. But anyway. > -Are the 2 Linnell CDs (State Songs and the New York government cd or > whatever it's called) any good? Are they like TMBG or different. They sometimes sound like TMBG and sometimes different. Snap up both of them; they're very good. Re: Dan Bern I have mixed feelings about Dan Bern. He has cartloads of interesting ideas, but his stuff is loud and not very melodic. I had an "ehhh" time at the one concert of his that I went to (though in retrospect that was partially my fault; I forgot my earplugs). But they come so highly recommended by people who have such excellent taste in music that I keep wanting to give him another chance. I have _dog boy van_ and might pick up _50 eggs_ if I get around to it. > Suggestions from the Fruvous NG: Eddie From Ohio... who's the other one, > great big sea? Those of you on the Fruvous ng know that I tend to sound a bit like a broken record about this, so you all can tune out now. For the rest of you: EDDIE FROM OHIO IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME. They're a modern folk group from Virginia (yes, Virginia), and they have five hard-to-find albums out. They specialize in intelligent, bittersweet, multi-faceted songs, beautifully performed on acoustic guitars, conga drums, bass, harmonica, and tambourine. And scads of harmony. They put on a truly outstanding live show, and also happen to be four of the nicest people. However, they are different enough from TMBG that I would add this caveat: only if you like folk. Also in my CD player these days: Steeleye Span-- _Time_ (yes, I've been on a folk kick recently. Sue me. :) Lush, well-arranged performances of mostly English/Celtic folk songs. Julie Murphy-- _Sophisticated Lady_ The female lead singer from EFO (see above for EFO rant) has a couple solo albums out. This one is a collection of show tunes and jazz standards, well done all around. Mary Schmary-- _Smarty Pants_ Your requisite dose of feminist a capella. I especially like the gospel songs about Darwinian evolution. :) And also that "Odds" tape that sarah linnellgirl sent me a year ago... It took a while to grow on me, and I churlishly neglected to thank her... Sarah, I'm truly sorry, and please accept a belated "thanks". :) --nicole the wonder nerd From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:22:40 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA26405 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:22:40 -0400 (EDT) Received: from imo29.mx.aol.com (imo29.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.73]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA26321 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:22:34 -0400 (EDT) From: CajunGram@aol.com Received: from CajunGram@aol.com by imo29.mx.aol.com (IMOv16.1) id IBASa06218 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:21:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:21:50 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 120 Minutes Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 for Windows 95 sub 64 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: CajunGram@aol.com In a message dated 98-09-21 10:49:22 EDT, you write: << I'm like dude why the hell didn't you play the new video Dr. Worm!!! I was and still am ticked off at 120 minutes. I urge you all who watched the show for TMBG to flame the 120 Minutes email account. >> I'm just happy that 120 min. played any They Might Be Giants (or T. Might B. Giants as the marquee at Bumbershoot read). I think this is a step in the right direction, MTV is admiting they have a proble (namely, the same 5 vid's all day long), and that is the first step to recovery. Let's all congradulate MTV on actually doing one of the coolest things since Al TV... Graham From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:25:56 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA27382 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:25:56 -0400 (EDT) Received: from m10.boston.juno.com (m10.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.195]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA27368 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:25:52 -0400 (EDT) From: cambot@juno.com Received: (from cambot@juno.com) by m10.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id DPPZC9R9; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:24:41 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:10 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980921.183115.13902.0.Cambot@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-4,6-8,11-13,16-18,27-29,33-35,40-41,43,48-50, 54-56,59-66,69-75 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: cambot@juno.com >At some point, Jim said: > > on a related note, i know that occasionally we have the thread of 'what > else are you into besides TMBG', and i know that nobody's started this > thread recently, and i'm not trying to start it. it's just that i've > been buying a lot of *really* good music lately, and if i don't share at > least the recommendations with you good people, i'm liable to burst. Nothing like a good ole' sharing of what bands we think are just the cat's pajama's, as everyone should think. I love telling people their business, so I believe I'll start, (alphabetically, mind you): -Beck_Mellow Gold or Odelay_ Even though my favorite of his albums is Stereopathetic Soul Manure, you should get used to him first by picking yourself up a copy of one of his "more-mainstream" albums. -Ben Folds Five_Ben Folds Five or Whatever and Ever Amen_ What can I say? They're my second favorite band next to TMBG. I bought WAEA last summer & it instantly depressed the hell outta me (not all of it, just the slower songs - Evaporated is probably the most powerful song I have ever heard). That, & "One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces" is basically the story of my life. After that, it won a spot in my CD rotation until I was kinda embarassed to be playing it for my friends becuase of they were all sick of Brick, & therefore, Ben Folds Five. "Ben Folds Five", the first album, is a lot more up-beat than WAEA, but I'd still strongly suggest WAEA to get into them. -Bernie Bernie Headflap_Cheese on Wheat_ This CD is great! I don't know where to find it though. I borrowed it from the bassplay in my band, The Dojo's. Think funky bass & nerd rock & a really really cool result. It came out on Creep Records, if anyone could help me with info, that'd be great. -Fountains of Wayne_Fountains of Wayne_ Basically, one of my friends came up to me one day & said "You like They Might Be Giants, you'll like Fountains of Wayne.&, shit, he was right! They do remind me of Them, plus the bassist on the album is none other than Danny Weinkauf, TMBG's tour bassist while Hal Craigin is on tour with Iggy Pop. -Man or Astro-Man? _Destroy All Astro-Men!!, Experiment Zero, 100X, Made from Technetium, etc._ They're all good albums, but you should ease into MOAM's style of sci-fi surf with one of the albums suggested above. These guys are great on the albums & in concert, so go check 'em out! Actually, they're gonna be in town the day before I see TMBG (10/4), but it's an 18+ show, so I, being the minor that I am, will be out. -Radiohead_OK Computer_ What a great CD. You should all go get it if you don't yet have it. All the songs on it are great, a real theme-album.Very odd, very not-mainstream, & yet, they have gone platinum without a real hit single. Goes to show word-of-mouth really works. -Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet_anything by them_ Guitar, bass, & drum instrumental, but not surf. Really different, really cool. They wrote the music for the Kids in the Hall theme & everything else on the show. -Sloan_Navy Blues_ It just kicks. Canadian rock is where the money's at. -Weezer_anything by them_ You know Weezer, I know Weezer, we all know Weezer. Weezer is good music. Other bands that nearly all of us like were left out (Mono Puff, Lincoln, Barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, Soul Coughing, etc) becuase it'd just waste space. So, tell me what ya think, eh? Half Asleep, really sick Steve! Bootlegs! The Dojo's! Adventure! http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/mezzanine/2495 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:31:59 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA29095 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:59 -0400 (EDT) Received: from imo17.mx.aol.com (imo17.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.7]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA29070 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:55 -0400 (EDT) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo17.mx.aol.com (IMOv16.10) id IODJa10153 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <2b52b538.3606d3b8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:20 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com In a message dated 9/21/98 6:27:17 PM, cambot@juno.com writes: >-Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet_anything by them_ >Guitar, bass, & drum instrumental, but not surf. Really different, really >cool. They wrote the music for the Kids in the Hall theme & everything >else on the show. > >-Sloan_Navy Blues_ >It just kicks. Canadian rock is where the money's at. i love you. i honestly don't know who you are, but i love you. :D >Other bands that nearly all of us like were left out (Mono Puff, Lincoln, >Barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, Soul Coughing, etc) becuase it'd just >waste space. So, tell me what ya think, eh? all of 'em, yeah! you rock. and to everybody else, pay attention! you'll have a quiz on these bands on friday. ;p sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:53:25 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA06931 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:53:25 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mail.utexas.edu (wb4-a.mail.utexas.edu [128.83.126.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id SAA06918 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:53:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199809212253.SAA06918@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Received: (qmail 14621 invoked by uid 0); 21 Sep 1998 22:53:20 -0000 Received: from dial-128-9.ots.utexas.edu (HELO crackhead-jesus) (128.83.46.153) by umbs-smtp-4 with SMTP; 21 Sep 1998 22:53:20 -0000 X-Sender: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0.2 Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:53:38 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Random Quote In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitchell Harding At 04:19 PM 9/21/98 -0400, you wrote: > >>As she opened the door, she felt as if she were walking into a sauna. >>Immediately sweat began to bead on her forehead and the glare of the sun >>forced >>her to squint her eyes. > >whaddya doin', Harf, readin' the starr report?? Hey, I certainly don't know. Many people could have used my computer while I was away at the show in Houston. Perhaps President Clinton stopped by and wrote Ms. Lewinsky some e-mail. Or perhaps (and this is more likely) a band of stray giraffes wandered by and stepped on the keyboard, which resulted (quite by accident) with the former quote being copied. Harf, Mitch From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 18:58:20 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA07575 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:58:20 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mail.utexas.edu (wb3-a.mail.utexas.edu [128.83.126.138]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id SAA07565 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:58:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199809212258.SAA07565@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Received: (qmail 26755 invoked by uid 0); 21 Sep 1998 22:58:15 -0000 Received: from dial-128-9.ots.utexas.edu (HELO crackhead-jesus) (128.83.46.153) by umbs-smtp-3 with SMTP; 21 Sep 1998 22:58:15 -0000 X-Sender: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0.2 Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:58:35 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Fwd: the concert, 9/20/1998, Houston, Texas In-Reply-To: <2e41eb80.3606c9ff@aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitchell Harding >No One Knows my Plan came next, and a conga line formed without the >help of Flansburgh. I would have joined, but I would have lost my spot >close to the front in the process. I started one of the conga lines. The point of the conga line is to lose your spot. In fact, I started in the back and could have exited the conga line when we came right up front, but I held with the true spirit of TMBG and ended up at some random place further back. Being close up isn't that important, believe me. >The crowd chanted We Want John for a solid five minutes, and then They More like 1 or 2 minutes, but they always do an encore. Usually 2, but I think they compressed their 2 encores into one this time. >came out with the puppets. Yes, they were singing Exquisite Dead Guy. >I did notice, however, that the Johns were not singing, which leads me >to believe that they recorded it earlier to play it then. I can't be >sure whether or not the band was playing, though. My dad said he >thought this was the low point of the concert, but what does he know? It was right off the CD -- they never play it "live". >A few times during the concert, I felt like Linnell was staring at me, >but I'm probably just paranoid. I do know that he was looking in my >general direction, though, so I wasn't totally off base. The standard reaction. I've yet to meet someone at whom didn't stare during the concert. >So, that was my first live TMBG experience. Ah, well I suppose I can forgive you for not leaving the front of the show, then. Harf, Mitch From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 19:42:58 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id TAA00370 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:42:58 -0400 (EDT) Received: from imo22.mx.aol.com (imo22.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.66]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id TAA00357 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:42:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Lympton@aol.com Received: from Lympton@aol.com by imo22.mx.aol.com (IMOv16.10) id IAMUa03120 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:15:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:15:32 EDT To: TMBG-Digest@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG: Mercury Lounge Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 214 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lympton@aol.com Does anyone know the number for the Mercury Lounge or how i can get tickets for the mono puff show October 30th? Matt "I've been on this list for a long time but never said anything" Lambert From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 20:46:55 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA20856 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:46:55 -0400 (EDT) Received: from cc.wwu.edu (titan.cc.wwu.edu [140.160.240.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id UAA20834 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:46:50 -0400 (EDT) Received: from localhost (helfgott@localhost) by cc.wwu.edu (SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4) with SMTP id RAA12028 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:46:45 -0700 Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:46:45 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: new music Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: leonard helfgott I don't have a new music thread to add, although if you haven't seen my earlier posts on this thread, I would strongly recommend buying any Dead Milkmen cds, rather, I have a music triumph to share with you all. As you may or may not know, the lead singers of the Posies are from a town called Bellingham Washington. I happen to live in this town, and I just learned the other day that my sister is good friends with Jon Auer's brother, so the next time she is in town, she is going to arrange a meeting, where I will get to meet both Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow. If you're not into The Posies, this post means nothing to you. Cap'n Helfgott From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 20:50:22 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA22348 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:50:22 -0400 (EDT) Received: from cc.wwu.edu (titan.cc.wwu.edu [140.160.240.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id UAA22323 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:50:17 -0400 (EDT) Received: from localhost (helfgott@localhost) by cc.wwu.edu (SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4) with SMTP id RAA12586 ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:49:12 -0700 Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:49:11 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott To: sarah j mamott cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: h e l p (please) In-Reply-To: <19980921.043116.7719.1.kpicara@juno.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: leonard helfgott this predicament can be raddified based on the answer to 1 question. How fast does your friend drive. If you are willing to risk a possible speeding violation, you can turn a four hour drive into about a 3 1/4 hour drive, and miss the first 15 minutes of the opening band. Cap'n Helfgott From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 20:51:59 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA22886 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:51:59 -0400 (EDT) Received: from cc.wwu.edu (titan.cc.wwu.edu [140.160.240.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id UAA22872 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:51:56 -0400 (EDT) Received: from localhost (helfgott@localhost) by cc.wwu.edu (SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4) with SMTP id RAA13255 ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:51:48 -0700 Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:51:48 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott To: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu cc: TMBG-LIST@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV sucks In-Reply-To: <01J22HKS9M1I9EEQM4@cc.usu.edu> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: leonard helfgott the problem with MTV is that they don't play enough music videos, although I must say, I was extremely interested in the half an hour interview with Marylyn Manson by random fans/haters. Cap'n Helfgott From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Sep 21 21:02:17 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id VAA29185 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:02:17 -0400 (EDT) Received: from smtp1.jps.net (smtp1.jps.net [209.63.224.236]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id VAA29159 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:02:13 -0400 (EDT) Received: from #flyn (209-63-113-172.sea.jps.net [209.63.113.172]) by smtp1.jps.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA19292 for ; Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:01:58 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <3606F766.142E@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:03:34 -0700 From: Flyn X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Flyn leonard helfgott wrote: > As you may or may not know, the lead singers of the Posies are from a town > called Bellingham Washington. I happen to live in this town, and I just > learned the other day that my sister is good friends with Jon Auer's > brother, so the next time she is in town, she is going to arrange a > meeting, where I will get to meet both Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow. If > you're not into The Posies, this post means nothing to you. Yeah, but they just played their last show two days ago, and neither lives in bellingham. Isn't it going to be hard to get two people no longer in the same band, and your sister into town at the same time? If it could be done, that'd be very cool. I'm pretty happy with my little chunk of Jon's guitar from their last seattle show, a couple weeks ago. -Flyn ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-19 ******************************