Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 2 Wednesday, 2 September 1998 Today's Topics: Re:Non-TMBG: OMLT! TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Hello, and the 9/23 Show TMBG: "Giants? Creepily so." TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings TMBG: tmbg.net Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199809010639.CAA13740@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 01:41:12 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re:Non-TMBG: OMLT! >Delivered-To: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu >From: Christi587@aol.com >Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 01:47:29 EDT >To: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu >Subject: Re: OMLT! >X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 for Mac sub 84 > > >In a message dated 8/30/98 4:45:13 PM, you wrote: > >>Christy, have you sent Rob the money yet? It's been over a month. > >I sent Rob his OMLT care package today. It would have been far sooner, except >I had to move into college, which messed me up a lot more than I thought it >would. > >--Christy > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199809010715.DAA15212@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: Stewart Russell 3295 Analyst_Programmer Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:29:35 +0100 (BST) Subject: TMBG: Hello, and the 9/23 Show Message-ID: <13803.60503.257274.763989@helmsdale> Hi, I've just joined the list. Possibly one of the few Scottish TMBG fans (and certainly the only one that plays a saw), I was reminded about this list by the Severe Tire Damage mailshot that came through yesterday. I notice that Pollstar lists that They are playing William Jewell College in Liberty, MO on September 23. Can anyone confirm this? Jewell (www.jewell.edu) don't list it. You might be wondering how this could be of any importance to anyone stuck on a small damp island to the north of Europe. I'm with my fiancee that week, and she lives just off the William Jewell campus. -- Stewart C. Russell Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division stewart@ref.collins.co.uk HarperCollins Publishers use Disclaimer; my $opinion; Glasgow, Scotland ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:51:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199809012151.RAA15212@mail3.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: Guido Subject: TMBG: "Giants? Creepily so." Qhat's up? I'm new to this list, but I've been a Giants fan since the night I saw them on Conan O'Brien, about five years ago. That wav file of Josh's was pretty cool, and you gotta understand if we want to kno exactly where it came from and every little detail. I recommend asking him to send you a copy if you haven't yet. It's cool. Not to diminish the occasional grunginess of TMBG, which I can appreciate, but the style of them.wav seems too funky to be suspect. I couldn't think of any actually tmbg songs that came close in rhythm to the wav (so I naturally assumed there were none :) ), but Flans has the kind of voice that's easy to mimic in the low range. The thing that's really annoying is that someone went to the trouble of sounding like Giants. It's some sort of complex, like an ambivalence toward anyone that can summon up their sound and then we have to concede that they did it on purpose. Do we have to take this? Don't be a secretive bastard! Tell us your sources, dammit! ~~ Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos ** strader.12@osu.edu http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader "The world is ours to drool over." --A.E.Mazza, in provocation of her choice of major. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EC8891.C3216FA6@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 19:51:46 -0400 From: somebody Subject: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Hey, I was just wondering if anyone saw the singing of "Istanble, not Constantinople" on "Muppets Tonight" Sunday night? I was a little taken back that 4 muppet rats would pop up atleast 3 times to sing the song. Also, my little sister told me that there was also another TMBG song that was played on "Clarissa Explains It All" on Nick a long time ago. Is this true or is my sister have LSD flashbacks? (even though she's only 11) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809012357.TAA03465@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:59:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings At 07:51 PM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote: >Hey, I was just wondering if anyone saw the singing of "Istanble, not Constantinople" on "Muppets >Tonight" Sunday night? I was a little taken back that 4 muppet rats would pop up atleast 3 times >to sing the song. > >Also, my little sister told me that there was also another TMBG song that was played on "Clarissa >Explains It All" on Nick a long time ago. Is this true or is my sister have LSD flashbacks? (even >though she's only 11) Well, not to be picky, but to call Istanbul a TMBG song is a little misleading. I didn't see the episode, but I imagine they were singing the original version. As for Clarissa, it is well known on the list that TMBG is one of Melissa Joan Hart's (Clarissa) favorite bands. I don't know if they were played on the show or not, though. I think that I remember that they were, though. Harf Mitch ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:04:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings In a message dated 9/1/98 8:01:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: << As for Clarissa, it is well known on the list that TMBG is one of Melissa Joan Hart's (Clarissa) favorite bands. I don't know if they were played on the show or not, though. I think that I remember that they were, though. >> Wait wait...where was it said that TMBG was one of Melissa Joan Hart's favorite bands? In the first episode of Clarissa, in the list of things she likes, she says TMBG is her favorite band, and it shows the cartoon John's from the Hotel Detective video run across the screen. I heard that Ana Ng plays also. But this doesn't mean it is MELISSA'S favorite band. More likely whoever created or wrote Clarissa Explains It All. In addition, for many episodes she has a very cool TMBG poster on her wall, and a Flood thing also... Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809020013.UAA04549@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 19:14:31 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings At 08:04 PM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote: >Wait wait...where was it said that TMBG was one of Melissa Joan Hart's >favorite bands? In the first episode of Clarissa, in the list of things she >likes, she says TMBG is her favorite band, and it shows the cartoon John's >from the Hotel Detective video run across the screen. I heard that Ana Ng >plays also. But this doesn't mean it is MELISSA'S favorite band. More likely >whoever created or wrote Clarissa Explains It All. >In addition, for many episodes she has a very cool TMBG poster on her wall, >and a Flood thing also... That would seem likely, but she has confirmed in interviews that TMBG are among her favorite bands, or perhaps, as you say, her favorite band. I can't recall which, but Melissa herself has said it. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980902011103.15778.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:10:59 PDT >In addition, for many episodes she has a very cool TMBG poster on her wall, >and a Flood thing also... > >Jordan You're kidding! I've seen countless episodes of CEIA, and have NEVER NOTICED THIS!!! Does anyone know where I can find stills of the show? I HAVE to see this. Josh "Amazed that so many adults watch Nickelodean" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "OW-OW-OW-OW-OW-OW-OW!!! He dented my plate! Ow, my brain is burnin'! Now I'm flashback! Now I'm flashback! Ow! Ooooww!! Leatherface! You bitch! Look what you did to my Sonny Bono wig do. Oh, god...DAMN, I can't believe it! You got to buy me a new plate cover! You got to buy me a new plate cover, Leatherface! Oohhhh! Oh, he's gonna send me back to the V.A. hospital with this dent in my plate... "Well, at least he didn't mess me up." Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:35:03 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent and past TMBG sightings Message-ID: <19980901.193510.11334.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > But this doesn't mean it is MELISSA'S favorite band. More >likely >whoever created or wrote Clarissa Explains It All. okay so i've never seen CEIA, cuz well i don't have cable and on top of that i rarely watch TV... but today i was at my friends house and his parents were watching jeopardy... oddly enough, she was on tonight (one of those star things). anyways, one of the clues asked something about one of the members of SP (no, not BC, but someone else) anyways, she answered and then added that smashing pumpkins were her favorite band and it was at about that point that i left the room in disgust. :::shiver::: smashing pumpkins... ugh take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:33:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: tmbg.net Message-ID: Well, we have been a little slow on updates but I am getting everything together and dan is coming back to run the news page soon. I still need submissions of articles and shows/setlists. I have a setlist from fridays show but I want all the new setlists there!@$ Just because something you sent in has not been added yet doesn't mean we don't appreciate it. We are nowhere without submissions! -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-2 *****************************